Speaker 1: This episode maintain content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hi, this is Tanya. Hi this is Shannon, and we are Crimes.
Speaker 1: And Consequences, a hardcore true crime podcast. Hey Shannon, Hey Tanya, how are you? I am doing all right?
Speaker 2: Posts to Christmas? Let down. I don't know what's the right word. Inflation.
Speaker 1: Inflation, Yeah, trying to live through, clean up my house.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a mess, and every day feels like the next.
Speaker 1: So because I'm awful, they do blur, you know, I don't know if it's Monday or Friday or whatever. So yeah, it's it's good though it's a it's a first world problem to have, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm definitely suffering for some very much.
Speaker 2: First ye happens? How are you saying? You know?
Speaker 4: Pretty much, just kind of getting ready for the transition. Christmas was great. I have no complaints. It was LEVI My grandson is here and so just seeing him and everyone that joyfulness. I haven't had a joyful holiday in many years. It just has it happened for me or I didn't have the wherewithal to make it happen.
Speaker 3: So that was nice.
Speaker 4: And now I'm getting ready for Brooklyn's birthday coming up. Oh that's right, I'm going to get Yes, you know she's getting from her mom is a ninety minute massage. Nice from this gale up the street. I'll send her info. This woman is so incredibly stress.
Speaker 2: Did she come to your house?
Speaker 3: No, she's up where the old pure one used to be.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, those are yes.
Speaker 3: Now she's in a sweet okay.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, send me your info. That is a great, great gift because I am sure your daughter is extremely stressed. Oh my gosh, the year she had this twenty twenty five. Yeah, yes, coming in because she's an early cap she's an early Capricorn.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so good things. I'm really happy. Awesome, Well that is great.
Speaker 1: I know I am looking forward to having a fabulous twenty twenty six. And I think we will have a fabulous twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: I believe that too. And two things I did do this thing with I follow this Scottish woman on instead Grandma.
Speaker 3: I'll have to. I'll put it in the show notes.
Speaker 4: She's Scottish and she's a witch, and so she's always like and would you bring that she's got the Scottish accent. So it's called like something thirteen days, So the day of Christmas till the very first day of January, there's I believe thirteen. I made thirteen things. You have thirteen like wishes or thirteen goals for twenty twenty six. And what you do is starting on the twenty six till January first, you burn one. After you write it, you crumple it up and you just grab it like here's my little thing. I grab it and I burn it. And that's like me giving it to the earth, to the universe, my goal and all the way till January second, and the one that's left, that's my responsibility for the year.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I did.
Speaker 4: That, and oh I wanted to brush up on the Did you hear about all those bodies that they're finding in the Houston baiyous? No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have been.
Speaker 2: There, like is there a serial killer? And so it's.
Speaker 4: Down in Houston and they've found I believe the numbers thirty four bodies so far this year. They found thirty five last year. Now it's already thirty four.
Speaker 3: Let's see. I think it's the Attorney General.
Speaker 4: She's he or she is shooting down any kind of narrative that is a serial killer, because they said, from what I read from the article that there's the holidays can be depression, the waterways are dangerous, and they have over twenty five hundred miles of Bayo. Okay, so in yeah, in Houston, and it's Piras County, so it makes sense. And plus when they pull the bodies, there's no Oh, and then there's the drug problem, the homelessness. Have all of these factors.
Speaker 1: Oh so they just think they're just like either suicides or people just meet their ends like by in a dangerous way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, And because the bodies are top seed, and then you know, if there was foul play, oh, the bread flags would.
Speaker 3: Go up right.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: So what's you? Guy got into Houston kind of by you?
Speaker 1: I have a completely different type of story. Before I tell everyone, though, I would just like to remind everyone hit the subscribe or follow button and hey, have you ever heard of the beer Cores?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, right, Cores is a big name.
Speaker 1: Well, did you know back in the late fifties early sixties, eight off Cores the third was kidnapped.
Speaker 2: No I did that right. Well, I'm going to tell you the story.
Speaker 1: So on the crisp morning of February ninth, nineteen sixty, a milkman slowed his truck on a narrow bridge over Turkey Creek, southwest of Denver, Colorado, when something felt wrong. A station where I sat angled across the span, engine running, radio, murmuring in the cold air. The driver was nowhere in sight. When the milkman stepped closer, he noticed blood flecked along the wooden railing. On the ground beyond the bridge lay a felt hat and a pair of eyeglasses personal unmistakable. The car belonged to Adolph cors the Third, forty four years old, father of four, and an heir to one of America's most valuable private fortunes. He had left his home that morning for this short commute to Golden, Colorado, where the family brewery rose like a citadel from the foothills. He never arrived. Okay, short little interruption there. Do you remember those course commercials where one of the core's family was in them?
Speaker 2: Had to be like in the last.
Speaker 1: Twenty years, whenever I hear Golden Colorado, I think, of course, right is right? Okay, back to our story. Yes, within hours, law enforcement sealed the area. By nightfall, the FBI was unseen. The disappearance felt wrong, not only because of the blood in the abandoned car, but because of who was missing. This was not a celebrity who courted attention. This man was trained to avoid it. Within a day, a ransom note arrived. So the ransom note said it was addressed to Adolph's wife. So, missus cores, your husband has been kidnapped. His car is by Turkey Creek. Call the police or FBI. He dies, cooperate, he lives. Ransom two hundred thousand dollars in tens and three hundred thousand dollars in twenties. There will be no negotiating bills. They need to be used non consecutive, unrecorded. On my warning, we will know if you call the police or record the serial numbers directions. Place money and this letter and envelope in one suitcase or bag. Have two men with a car ready to make the delivery when all set. Advertise a tractor for sale in Denver Post section sixty nine. Sign ad King Ranch Fort Lupton, wait at NA nine four four five five for instructions after the ad appears and I'm guessing that's a telephone number. Okay, deliver immediately after receiving call. Any delay will be regarded as a stall to set up a stakeout. Understand this, Adolph's life is in your hands. We have no desire to commit murder. All we want is that money. If you follow the instructions, he will be released unharmed within forty eight hours after the money is received. So those five hundred thousand dollars that they demanded, this was a sum that in nineteen sixty landed with the weight of an ultimatum. The instructions were precise, as you noticed, it was typewritten. The tone was business like. The promise was simple. Comply in Adolph Cores the Third would be returned alive. Long before Aidolf Cores the Third vanished on a quiet Colorado road, the Cors family had become something more than wealthy. They were symbolic. The story began in the nineteenth century with Aidolf Cores, a German immigrant who arrived in the United States carrying brewing knowledge and a belief in order. In eighteen seventy three, he founded what would become the Aidolf Course Company, in Golden Colorado, marrying old world technique to rocky mountain water. The product was marked not merely as beer, but as a philosophy, pure, disciplined, reliable. By the mid twentieth Cory Corus was no longer just a brewery. It was a dynasty. Unlike the flamboyant robber barons of the East Coast, the Corus family cultivated an image of restraint. Their wealth was immense, but intentionally understated. Their power flowed quietly through boardrooms, philanthropy, and politics, rather than spectacle. They believed privacy was not just a preference, but a safeguard. Adolph course the third was raised inside that ethic. He was not groomed to be a playboy heir. He was groomed to be a steward. The family's worldview skewed conservative, shaped by faith in hierarchy, capitalism, and stability. In later decades, the Corp's fortune would be associated with right leaning causes and anti communist activism, particularly under Aidolph the Third's son, Joseph cor But the philosophical foundation was already in place by nineteen sixty. Order mattered, predictability mattered, and discretion mattered. In that context, kidnapping was not merely a crime. It was an assault on a belief system. The corp's family had also cultivated a culture of meticulous documentation, ledgers, correspondence, and careful oversight of every aspect of operations. That culture would become vital in the aftermath of aid Off the Third's disappearance, both as evidence and as a record of the impact the event had on the company's structure. Employees recalled that the brewery was unusually quiet in the weeks after the incident, as executives worked in hushed offices and operational meetings became tense and methodical. Friends described Aidolf Corps the Third as disciplined, courteous, and intensely private. He kept regular hours, drove familiar routes, and avoided excess. He believed in systems corporate, familial, civic, and trusted that when those systems were followed, outcomes would be fair. He married Mary Grant in nineteen forty. Together they raised four children. His role at the brewery expanded steadily. Colleagues viewed him as a natural successor who would guide the company through its next phase without drama. Corus was known for being hands on in his management style, personally reviewing production schedules, quality reports, and distribution logs. Those who worked under him described a man of quiet authority, unassuming yet exacting, capable of making the brewery run with precision. His private life mirrored this methodical approach. He enjoyed hiking, fishing, and the occasional weekend rear treat at the family cabin in the rockies. He avoided public attention, seeing it as a potential liability rather than a mark of status. Friends recall his fondness for maintaining tradition and order, both at home and in business, a trait that made the shock of his abduction all the more jarring. The ransom note arrived, quickly, typed and concise, as you know we have reviewed already. It demanded this half million dollars and laid out instructions with mechanical clarity. The FBI analyzed the paper and the typeface. Investigators advised the family to comply. Marry Corps prepared the ransom. She followed directions, she waited. Nothing came back. Days passed, then weeks. The silence grew louder. Investigators began to suspect what they had feared from the start, the ransom might be a decoy, a performance staged after the fact. The FBI methodically mapped out potential routes and hideouts, interviewing neighbors, employees, and anyone who might have glimpsed Cores or his vehicle. Local police were involved, but federal authorities increasingly took the lead due to the interstate nature of the abduction. The investigation became one of the largest and most coordinated of its time, illustrating the federal government's expanding capability to manage high profile kidnappings. The FBI widened its net, agents traced vehicles, bank activity, and typewriter samples. Eight days after the disappearance, a burned out car surfaced in Atlantic City, New Jersey. A serial number remained legible on the engine block. It led investigators to a name that would soon prove false, Walter Osborne. The alias cracked quickly. The man behind it was Joseph Corbett Junior, a former Air Force mechanic with a violent past, an intellect sharpened by grievance, and a history of disappearing. Corbett had a chillingly methodical approach to planning the kidnapping. He had purchased handcuffs, ropes, firearms, and a vehicle suited to moving a person across terrain unnoticed. His preparation reflected his intelligence and premeditation, contrasting sharply with the panic and grief of the Coarse family. Corbett's upbringing helps explain, if not excuse, his path. Born in the nineteen twenties in California, he had a difficult family life, showing early signs of defiance, resentment, and fascination with firearms. His intellectual abilities he studied physics and pre med coexisted uneasily with an impulsive and often violent streak. Previous murder convictions and prison escape in nineteen fifty five had only reinforced his skills at subverting authority. Months after the kidnapping, hikers discovered skeletal remains in the Colorado Foothills. Nearby, a key ring bore the initials ac the third. Forensic analysis confirmed what investigators had long suspected. Adolph Corps The third had been shot on the day he was taken. The ransom had always been alive. The crime shifted from kidnapping to murder. Investigators reconstructed the timeline, noting that cors had likely been killed within hours of leaving his home. The meticulousness of the crime, combined with the deception of the ransom, shocked both law enforcement and the public. Corbett's trial in nineteen sixty one became a national spectacle. Prosecutors presented detailed forensic evidence linking Corbet to the crime, the typewriter used for the ransom note, the burned car, traces of dirt matching Core's remains, an eyewitness testimony placing Corbet in proximity to the crime. Witnesses recounted seeing a yellow mercury that matched Corbet's and handwriting analysis tied the note to his typewriter. Experts detailed the trajectory of the fatal gunshot, reconstructing how the murder unfolded within minutes of the abduction. Corbett attempted to present a defense, claiming misidentification and lack of intent, but the weight of physical evidence was overwhelming. Witnesses, forensic experts, and FBI agents test to his careful planning and execution. On March twenty ninth, nineteen sixty one, the jury found Corbett guilty of first degree murder. He received a life sentence for the Corps family. The murder of Adolph Coors the Third was not simply a private loss. It was structural rapture. The company endured, as dynasties often do. Beer was still brewed, bottles still rolled off the line. In golden profits grew, but something essential, something assumed, was gone. The belief that discretion equaled safety, that order inoculated against chaos, that wealth properly managed and quietly held created a kind of invisible shield.
Speaker 2: It did not.
Speaker 1: Inside the brewery, employees recalled an immediate and palapable shift. Meetings became more controlled. That once had been left open were closed. Access points were restricted, schedules were altered. Security details, once minimal almost symbolic, became institutional. The brewery was no longer just a workplace. It was a guarded perimeter. The family retreated further into privacy, not out of aloofness but necessity. The kidnapping had taught them a brutal lesson. Visibility was of vulnerability. Adolf, course the third, had been groomed to inherit stewardship of both a business and a belief system. With his death, then inheritance fractured leadership passed differently than planned, the burden of legacy fell heavier and more defensively on the next generation. For Joseph Course Adolph's son, the loss would become formative. He was still young when his father was murdered, but the crime would echo throughout his adult life, shaping both his worldview and his politics. In later years, Joseph Cours would emerge as a powerful conservative benefactor, deeply involved in anti communist causes, libertarian economics, and the architecture of modern American conservatism. Historians have often noted that the Core's family's political engagement intensified after nineteen sixty, not merely as ideology, but as reaction. The kidnapping hardened their belief that the world was unstable, that institutions were fragile, and that order had to be actively defended. The crime did not radicalize the family so much as clarify something they had already believed, that chaos was always waiting at the edges. Publicly, the family spoke little about eight Off five Corps. The third after his funeral. There was no extended.
Speaker 2: Interviews, no memoirs.
Speaker 1: No public reckoning. Silence once again became the strategy, but silence did not erase memory. Within Colorado, the story lingered like a shadow. Locals remembered the bridge, the abandoned car, the sense that something unthinkable had happened to people who were supposed to be untouchable. The case entered the state's criminal folklore, a reminder that violence does not respect class lines. Nationally, the kidnapping altered how law enforcement and the public understood crimes against the wealthy. It accelerated federal involvement in ransom cases, influenced security practices among corporate elites, and quietly reshaped how powerful families moved through the world. The Corp's dynasty continued, but it was no longer naive. The murder of Adolph Coors the Third did not end the family's influence. If anything, it sharpened it. But it came at a cost that could never be recouped, the loss of a man whose greatest strength had been his belief that systems worked, that reals mattered, that predictability was protection. That belief died with him on a cold February morning. What replaced it was vigilance and a legacy forever marked by the knowledge that even dynasties bleed, and that my friend is wow of Adolph Coors the third.
Speaker 3: That is tragic.
Speaker 2: I know, I had no idea they.
Speaker 3: I did not know that that had happened.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure in Colorado this is very much steeped in their history.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: And I did a little digging on him on those two men, Adolph and Joe. And Joe is I think he was born in twenty eight. Adolph was born in nineteen fifteen. So he's younger and stronger than Adolph.
Speaker 3: I can see.
Speaker 4: You know, Adolf what nineteen fifteen, nineteen sixty, So Adolph's forty five. Sounds like a strong guy. I know he's a Capricorn, so he's taking good care of himself. He's born to lead this company. Yeah, and some guy out of Washington just comes up with some flim flam idea, Yeah, what's right? One hundred thousand back then, I'm gonna look at him.
Speaker 2: I bet it's a lot. Five hundred thousand is a lot now, I believe. So I know it's.
Speaker 4: Probably like a billion dollars. It's so exorbitant. That's very sad. I'm very cowarded what you take from another You know how I feel about five hundred thousand and nineteen sixty is worth approximately five point four eight million today five and a half million. That's a lot of money. That is quite a bit of money.
Speaker 1: So I just don't know, like was Joseph Was he motivated by the money?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to figure.
Speaker 1: Out was it just the money or did he you know.
Speaker 4: Did you really think that it sounds like just the most kind of keystone compish. I tried to kidnap him, right, This man he knows how to lead a company that I'm thinking that he knows how to take care of himself a little bit, you know it is he's a nice big man.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's running a million dollar, multimillion dollar corporation that goes back almost one hundred years from when he took it over, right, yes, so, and you know it's this family dynasty. I just these kidnapping and ransom stories always fascinated me.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: The baby, yeah, this one and then the one that happened in the seventies to William Randolph Hurst. Remember his he was yeah, he was the guy that his.
Speaker 4: Grandson was oh yeah, yes, yeah or million and it was some very and he wasn't going to pay it.
Speaker 2: I remember that story.
Speaker 1: He was like the richest guy on the planet or something, and he was the one that owned all those newspapers. And I remember he wasn't going to pay it, and I think they talked the kid tampers down or something because he ended up paying less.
Speaker 2: I think I think they cut off his ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they cut off something, yet I think it was his ear and they did return him.
Speaker 2: But I would just like, what that.
Speaker 4: I want to say he died of a drug overdose, like he mentally never got over it.
Speaker 2: Which oh I'm sure. I mean his grandfather didn't want to pay the ransom. What the fuck is that?
Speaker 3: That is insane?
Speaker 1: Like your money is more important. I mean Mary was right on it. She's like, Okay, I'll get the five hundred.
Speaker 3: I'm on it.
Speaker 2: I'm on it.
Speaker 1: I'm getting the money. I want my husband back. So I don't know, I feel bad to you. I think they play it smart. The not play it smart. They just live smartly.
Speaker 4: If you flaunt, then you are just showing what is available to take, yeah from another right right, and they're just yeah, they're just quiet people doing their thing.
Speaker 3: Like that East Coast money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that are flaunting it.
Speaker 2: In New York City it all about.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so yeah, yeah, it's tragic. I had no idea.
Speaker 1: Obviously I did the story, but before I heard about it, obviously I didn't know about it. But it's just I didn't realize that it was such a kidnapping, like drawn out in everything. And I don't know why it's not one of the more These kidnapping and ransoms happen all the time, But.
Speaker 2: Adolf story was as quiet as he was. I guess you know.
Speaker 4: It sounds like, yes, as quiet as him and his family are, but it's still it's sad because they did seem to take the practical steps and still they got struck from some guy in Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just put a beat on them.
Speaker 4: Sounds like probably no real Keystone cop planning. That's the vibe I'm getting from mister Corbett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just it's yeah, it's tragic. So well, thank you so much, Shannon, and thank you. I love that story.
Speaker 4: I love learning new things and seeing that the more things change, the more.
Speaker 3: They stay the same, the same, there's nothing.
Speaker 2: New under the sun.
Speaker 1: M M. I would like to thank everyone for listening also to this week's episode, and if you haven't already. Please hit the subscribe button on whatever podcast app you're listening to if you would like to hear more episodes from Shannon and I. We do release episodes on our Patreon account it is dot com slash tnt Crimes, and we also publish them on the Apple podcast app. So if you would like to subscribe for a very low feet, you will receive additional episodes every month.
Speaker 2: So enjoy. Yeah, to enjoy.
Speaker 1: We have a website, Crimesoconsequences dot com and you can check us out there. We never did update that website, Shannon. We got to get you on the website.
Speaker 3: We gotta get that video made.
Speaker 2: I know. We got so much to do, girl, we gotta get this done.
Speaker 4: Trying to figure it out, and we're gonna do it because we're going to Vegas.
Speaker 2: Baby on hell or high Water.
Speaker 3: I'm in Vegas twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shannon wants to go to crime come. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I've never been to Vegas, so let's make it happen. Ladies, you've never been to Vegas.
Speaker 2: I think I have anvisation. I am shocked you have a Vegas.
Speaker 4: Oh keep a leashiny girl. We will collect money if we walk around and be seen.
Speaker 2: I have been to Vegas. I got a trouble. We'll see, oh boy.
Speaker 1: Anyway, well all right, I love you and I hope you have a very happy New Year, and I hope.
Speaker 2: All of our listeners do too. Until our next episode.
Speaker 4: Until next time, wow yeah, love you, Bye bye h