Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us. I'm and I'm Stephen, and this is a.
Speaker 2: Podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hello, We're back again.
Speaker 2: Whoo series seven.
Speaker 1: I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: I know we're rattling through. We really are, over two thirds of the way through. How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm okay, ticking along.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Any exciting going on?
Speaker 1: Not particularly No, No, it makes it quite a boring section of the podcast. I can't think of a him to say.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I should make a note. That's what to talk about here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think I got anything exciting. No, just work, Yeah, same old life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's reveal our hair from the end of series six.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was one of yours.
Speaker 1: It was. It was empty orchestra, you know, Dawns always making sure that no one's glass is ever empty. Orchestra blaring out sea shanty's and juice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nicely done. Thanks, So just remind people that might be new to joining. We like to try and smuggle in a random episode unrelated to the one we're discussing in the same vein as Stephen Reese do with their heads. So at some point in the episode we will sneak in an episode title see if you can spy it.
Speaker 1: Some maybe harder spot than others.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quality may vary, but we back this week with series seven episode one, Merrily Merrily. Lawrence has arranged a reunion with his old university chums, Callum and Darren at to a remote lake. It's not quite what they were expecting, and Darren has even brought along his new girlfriend. But a lot of water has passed under the bridge since their college days, of course, and as they strike out across the empty lake, the conversation takes them into choppy or waters. Someone was enjoying me a little.
Speaker 1: There, Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 2: Puns there Yeah, great, immediate thoughts.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting actually, because when I revisited it for the first time the other day, I was you know, I thought I'm sorry wasn't blown away by it, but I've watched it a couple more times since then, and it's grown on me a lot. I think it's it's really actually very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think i'd agree. I think I watched it the first time earlier on today, since probably since it aired, yeah, and I was like, okay, that was all right, And then I rewatched it and I was like, yeah, actually I quite like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I expect it wouldn't be your normal cup of tea in that it's quite a character piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not really a lot of plot hugely to it. No, No, there's no you know, giant secret they're trying to hide as such. I had forgotten the sort of sort of twist at the end. Yes, I remember that the wife the thing, what the deal with the wife was, but that was Yes, that was all I could all I did remember.
Speaker 1: You can say, she's dead heads in the bag, she's not a guinea picker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I did remember that, but I didn't remember what comes after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: That was quite a nice little sort of surprise for me in a way.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's not typically the kind of episode I would normally say, I like, it's still quite funny.
Speaker 1: Yes, lots of humor in it, which is good, and it's quite it's quite a different episode for the show in general, especially for a series opener.
Speaker 2: It's quite sedate. M it's not high stakes or anything really, but yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean the cast that's come together is just perfect.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah, yeah, they're great. It's nice to finally get Mark in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's the perfect, the perfect for him. It really is so satisfying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the whole reunion and concept, and it works so well, even though they didn't intend it to be him. No, just a happy accident that it worked out that way.
Speaker 1: It's a happy accident. Yeah. And it just brings the whole extra layer to it that he really shares that history with them. Yeah that you you know, sure, people can act and that's all very well, but when you've got that real history, it's it's got an extra sort of depth to it, I think, and especially when you've you know, you might have watched them on things like The League of Gentlemen like years before that for the audience as well, Like it's it's kind of nostalgic, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it must have been nice for them as well. And plus it's it's sort of their story in a way as well, Like they did all hang out at university together, it did go down to the lake near the school exactly. Yea, all that kind of stuff. It was almost quite autobiographical in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean that when they wrote about that stuff, they' obviously drawing on their own memories and experiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's just nice when Mark fit into it and it could be even more real. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he'd he'd been wanting to be in it for ages, hadn't.
Speaker 2: He In schedules I expect. Yeah, he's a busy man. He's always doing something.
Speaker 1: Oh Yeah. I really commend his performance in this because I always enjoy him and whatever I see him in. But I do feel that sometimes often he gives quite a hammy performance.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I felt like in this this is the most yeah, like this is the most naturalistic performance I think I've seen from him. Yeah, and it was really good. And he's very funny as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, because he mainly does writing these days, Like you kind of forget how good an actor he can be. When Yeah, when he really goes for it and it's not a silly role or a joke roll.
Speaker 1: And I mean he's very good at the cartoonish.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I like there's a BBC version of Wind in the Willows from about two thousand and six that I watched, and he plays Rat in that, and he's so perfect for that that, you know, that's sort of larger than life kind of character.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Matt Lucas was Toad, right, Yeah, but seeing him in something really real like this, especially with his two long term friends like that. Yeah, it's just it's just very, very enjoyable. It is lovely, and the Scottish accent, it's just it really adds to that sort of judge you know, a bit a bit sarcastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've actually been to the lake as well. They would be referencing because it's it's not far from me. Really.
Speaker 1: Where is it?
Speaker 2: The Orra Sculpture Park. It's like a big oh right, like a big gardens effectively with sculptures obviously in it, okay, and you can just sort of walk around it and it's just a nice walk.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On the edge of that is the is the Breton Hole where they went to study. Yeah, it's just like I assume back in the day it would have been the gardens of it. Yeah, but yeah, it's really nice.
Speaker 1: So should we for setting the number nine itself? Is this pedalo? This hired peda mobile this week? Yeah? Oh, and also this is she should say this is the first episode really, that's well, it's all outdoors. Yeah, and we I mean, even in normal episodes, we very rarely get any outdoor scenes.
Speaker 2: Anything more than like an establishing shot or something. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, you don't really get any extended scenes outside really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's very different, which.
Speaker 2: Must have been challenging, never mind the water involved.
Speaker 1: So we've got this very run down looking boat higher place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks a bit Scooby Doo.
Speaker 1: And we keep getting this close ups on the sign of you know, closed for the season, really sort of saying people shouldn't be there. Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did get the vibes that's something bad was going to happen Lake. Yeah, more so than it does. I felt there was like a malicious intent going on.
Speaker 1: I think they lead you in that direction, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess that's what they're trying to get you to think, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another one of our creepy violin scores, a bit like the Stakeout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very eerie, very effective, it is. So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked all about Callum, who is a gynecologist. Yes, nice detail, and yeah, that he comes to meet Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Yes, and what was in a very vaguely worded invitation. By all accounts, no one really knows what the hell's going on in this event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what must he have said, come to the lake, we'll go on a boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not seen you in twelve years or whatever it was, and left it at that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or maybe it's just a case of people don't read things properly.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe maybe you told them everything and.
Speaker 1: Nobody's reading his round robins?
Speaker 2: Are they bless him? All his emails are going to spam?
Speaker 1: But yeah, you get this sense that he's the kind of person who hasn't really moved on since UNI and these other people have and he's kind of just stayed stuck. Yeah, you know, he's still wearing the scarf and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, everyone's moved on without him, which is sad for him. He's just and he's obviously not coping well with it. And then when the bad things have started happening, all his friends that he thinks are his best friends and nowhere to be found.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, Paul Lawrence. Yeah, it's kind of tragic for him.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry for thinking you're going to murder all these people.
Speaker 1: So then we get Darren, Oh, Steve, this this character is yes, one of his standbyac very legal gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's the character from League that's in the Blockbusters. Oh yeah, like him grown up a bit.
Speaker 1: How many killings does it got?
Speaker 2: The killings?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I love that sketch. So yeah, he's he's he's a thing.
Speaker 2: He is a thing that happens, and he's again also not read the invitation either, No, and brought along a plus one yes, which Lawrence is very much not tappy about. And I don't blame him.
Speaker 1: No, I don't blame him.
Speaker 2: But then you get the awkward thing of well not do I do? Now I'm annoyed about it, but there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.
Speaker 1: No, and he doesn't want to be a dick. He does end up being a bit of a dick.
Speaker 2: But yeah, passive aggressive, with less of less and less of the passive.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly as it goes. They also mention this friend, this fourth friend who can't be there, Yeah, because he's in Germany, which is ken Zy I think Kensy Kens. Yeah. I'm assuming that was deliberate as a like reference to a red herring. Well, no, as a reference to Jeremy Dyson league member.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well people that know it would be I think I thought it was like, that's going to be the thing that you need to bear in mind. Oh right, okay, you know the friend that can't be here. Why can't you be here? What's happened? Or where is he? What's going on? That was going to be a plot point later on. Yeah, but yes, also.
Speaker 1: Works very well for I think it's just a nice nod as it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't know how much of it was tended as a red herring.
Speaker 1: And this, I mean, I know people change as they get older and drift and stuff, but they seem like such different people to be you really do close friends at UNI. Yeah, and they were studying such completely different things. Really, I wonder how they how they became friends.
Speaker 2: They'll have just been all in the same hall and they've had to be friends. Yeah, but actually none of them really liked each other. None of them would ever have made each other in real life and stayed friends, but they were forced to be friends because of circumstance. I'm going to go, I don't know, maybe Callum Lawrence might have been friends. Yeah, I can't see why either of them were that friends with dark.
Speaker 1: Darren is just so blessing. Yeah, Diane Morgan is just a queen, isn't she.
Speaker 2: I can't fault the lady. She is amazing and everything she does.
Speaker 1: She is amazing everything she does, and I cannot imagine anybody else playing this role. It's like it was made for her.
Speaker 2: It really was. I mean, I know, I've only really seen her a lot of quite similar roles. Yeah, but she does it so perfectly exactly.
Speaker 1: That's if you find your niche and it works, then with it great. You know. Now, she is a great character, you know, especially the contrast between her and someone like Callum, who is you know, so sort of high brown, sophisticated, and you know, she just comes and looks at the scene and she's like, my mom's got a chair at this, I tell her.
Speaker 2: At the height of classes meeting Judge Rinda.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, strictly, strictly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not for any of his like and whatever else he does. Judge, Yeah, it's all about that is on strictly.
Speaker 1: It's a bit later on, but when you know, when she finally finds out that it's not a big party and like Judge of Wind is not going to be here, and Callum's just like doubt.
Speaker 2: I think he might just surface from the wall in his wig and robes. Yeah, so that's our main main cast for the episode.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It's a funny little group. But then they end up in a pedlo for the rest of it, which must have been a nightmare for them. Oh god, I can't even imagine the logistics of doing that. Are you a pedicionado? Well, I had much experience with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been on one once, a long time ago. I must have about eight or nine. Yeah, I was on holiday in France with my parents.
Speaker 2: They have pedalers in France, their parents. I just think of them as such a British thing. I struggle to imagine them existing outside of Britain. I don't know why. They just seem so naff and tacky and British.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: The only place I can imagine them otherwise is along like the Costa del Soul or somewhere by the rosen Cram Pub next to the beach. I've been on a few times because we used to go to Scarborough stuff with my grandparents a lot, and they had them there in the little little parks and things. They're just so damn slow and you're just peddling and peddling, pedaling like they just wanted to hurry up and waiting for someone to like how you can pedal for before you feel like you can get someone else to swap with you, before it feels earned that they might jump in. It's just going and going and going, and it's like every little revolution gets you half an.
Speaker 1: Inch and yeah, takes forever.
Speaker 2: They used to have an equivalent app the theme park. It was it was bikes on a rail, so it was the same concept on a rail right above above this like courtyard, but that meant that the rail was a fixed track, so once you set off you had to complete it. Oh wow to be able to get back off, because it was like ten foot up, so you were just there pedaling and pedaled and pedaling for it felt like two hours. They seemed like a great idea until you get on them.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. So yeah, strange all setting for the episode little craft really is.
Speaker 2: But a bus would be weird, but a pedler is fine.
Speaker 1: But it's I mean in all seriousness, like you know, not to get too wankyory, but like it is. It's a great like metaphor for the whole thing of like just drifting on this lake, like's not known where you're going in life and just sort of drifting to a stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting caught in the weeds and stuff exactly. Yeah, with only two people in control of where you're going. Yes, I want to stretch it further.
Speaker 1: I love that whole thing where she's desperate to have a go at peddling. Yeah, and then she has a go and it's like, oh, this is our work, isn't it. She just puts the feet up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing where you can get away with pretending that you're peddling. The person doesn't. Note always find it weird when they don't have a giant's one head on them. The ones that are just boats are weird to me. Okay, you should have head or a dragon. We had some dragon ones at Scarborough as well. I don't know what the difference was they were green. Half of my notes are just funny lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the thing of Oh, Callum's going on about his lovely daughters that turn out to be dogs. That's so so relatable. But dog dad of.
Speaker 2: Course one's called Liza. Yes, I don't imagine million Lisa, Donna and Darren met at Five Guys. Of course they did borning. My favorite line of us and Callum have you been in Five Guys? At least.
Speaker 1: Delivered perfectly, perfectly classic joke.
Speaker 2: Classic for a reason.
Speaker 1: There So Darren was a supply pee teacher.
Speaker 2: Doing spot science, Yeah, learning about Lucas.
Speaker 1: Aid Lucas Aiden test tubes.
Speaker 2: No offense to anyone sitting spots science, of course.
Speaker 1: Not you know what sport lovers we are?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah see our sister podcast.
Speaker 3: Sports Team, And yeah I love that bit about you know, kids can be cruel and I was just like I was, bitch, Yeah, calm down a lot.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: She's an interesting character, like sometimes she's really brash and rough and everything, but sometimes she quite nice and exactly quite eloquent at points.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's a lot more of a three dimensional character than Darren. M Yeah, well not that Darren, isn't he does have his moments.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think on the whole she's quite a nice person.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah she is. Yeah, and I can totally believe what she says, Like I could picture her at school being an absolute bitch, yeah, and then having matured a bit and just chilled, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: And yeah, she's a bit rough around the edges, but she's uh, yeah person.
Speaker 1: She's authentic, she's herself. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's not putting on any front exactly front. And I think Callum sort of seems to warm to her as well. Yeah, and quite like so by the end of it, I think.
Speaker 1: Yes, we missed that great line about actually the cold water will help if you have vaginal irritation. His name's Darren. I feel like she ingratiates herself to them more with that joke as well, Like yeah, yeah, it's almost like she's an honorary one of the lads.
Speaker 2: She's put him down. Yeah, because she must be bricking it as well, because she didn't know any of these people. Well half the boat she doesn't know.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 2: I must feel like quite an outsider. Mm hmmm. The fact that she thinks there's some giant yacht or somewhere Yeah, I love that around the corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you know what makes me die is just every time she says something about, you know, will they be changing rooms on the yacht and then yah, Callum's face when he just looks around at Darren, like, oh, I'm interested to see what he gets the popcorn out. Oh it's so good. Interesting. But here as well about how Darren has had a change of direction in life and he is attempting to become a children's all. Yeah, well, he says he is a children's author. Yeah, you know, not to put too fine upon it, but yeah, can you call yourself an author unless you've had something published?
Speaker 2: Yeah, or at least like submitted to a publisher like Yeah. At this point, it seems to be a vague idea of.
Speaker 1: A vague idea of a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's written on the back of a nap Kim.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and bless him, Like obviously it means a lot to him, as we find out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean Donna's read it twice and she's cried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it must be good. It must be damn good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Although the second time I watched it, I put the subtitles on in case I missed anything. I thought he kept saying that there was a bull as in a male cow on the on the page. Yeah, well yeah, that's what it was. But I very much read.
Speaker 1: Here it you thought he's saying ball, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What is a bull and a boy doing? Like, surely this kid's going to get gord, like, yeah, where's this book going?
Speaker 1: Okay? No, I never I never thought.
Speaker 2: That ball makes much more sense.
Speaker 1: More sense, yes, but yeah, now okay. On the one hand, I know that Callum comes across a bit of a dick in this scene, but I can relate to him so much because we're all thinking it. We're all, well, this is baby's first words. It's not an author's book.
Speaker 2: There are literally hundreds of this book.
Speaker 1: It's not going to make you the next JK ruling.
Speaker 2: Elbow deep in fannies all day. Yeah, my gay doctor friend is also well worked for a while in obs and coiny and things, and he's just like, yep, so loads of funnies today. O lovely good for you, Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I fully agree with where he's coming from. But yeah, he is. He does come across a bit rude, but it's also that thing of sometimes when you have that relationship with someone and it's like it becomes second nature to just kind of belittle them a bit, like people have that relationship and actually you don't take a step back and think, actually, it's not very nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I do it fair so well with those The voice in the back of my head's going, he's telling the truth. He's not just saying it as a joke too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, poor Darren.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Darren, but it isn't an original idea.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he's just that's just his version of the story that they're all in, which is that they're all kind of stuck in their lives and unsatisfied.
Speaker 2: At least he's trying something else.
Speaker 1: He's trying, Yeah, and donnad's being supportive and.
Speaker 2: They probably work quite well together.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, they do. Actually, we also just remember talking about books. We missed that out great line about psychotherapy and oh I saw that was stabbed in the shower. I didn't know they've made a book of it.
Speaker 2: Terrible joke. So good.
Speaker 1: Have you seen that Kunk is coming back? Yes, yes, someone told me very exciting.
Speaker 2: Oh what was it something on music or something was it?
Speaker 1: Or cinema?
Speaker 2: Cinema? That was it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's exciting.
Speaker 2: That should be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a little while.
Speaker 2: The experts will be shaking in the boots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit of kunk. All right, kunk. What happens? So plot development, we get a bit of plot. Now the pedler gets tangled up in some weeds.
Speaker 2: Oh no, what we're going to do? No one seems all that fussed, really, No, I think I think people should be a little bit more concerned than that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because they've got no signal.
Speaker 2: They're in the middle of the lake that's freezing in winter.
Speaker 1: This is the thing, Like, there's a reason why that sign is there and why you're not supposed to be going on the lake at this time. Yeah, I know he you know, he knows the person who runs it, and they've let him have it or whatever. But it's it's dangerous, you know.
Speaker 2: Really irresponsible. Yeah. I don't know what though, because they sit there for a long time before anyone does anything. M are you just I know, I know they mentioned Lawrence mentions having seen someone and they might get help, but for all you know that person that was the last time they were there, and they wanted to all they've gone and then it's getting dark, and I'm like, okay, we're going to sleep here. Like hm, I'd have at least been trying to climb over the what do you call not the bonnet of the pedalow but whatever, the front bit of the pedlo is and try to see whether I could reach under and yeah, yeah, dislodge it. But now they all seem very happy to accept the fate and die on this lake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, Yeah, that's a good suggestion, trying to get your hand under him, try and sort it out. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of open water.
Speaker 2: All that nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of unsettling.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So a big argument ensues. Turns out there is no party. No, she's missing Jemmas n night for this an.
Speaker 2: Old stripper helicopter in she's losing out on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel your pain.
Speaker 2: It's nice that her. She she's more interested in Jude Rinda than the than the strippers, so she's got some small amount of class.
Speaker 1: If you want to spin it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okayrinda rates slightly higher than strippers for her, so I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, I struggle to choose whether my favorite character is is Donna or Callum they're both so good, and you know that that that awkward pause after after the argument and callams just like so, I think that's everyone fallen out with everyone else. Reunion one of one.
Speaker 2: Everyone wants to murder each other. Tick. Yeah, I can't wait through this again in twelve years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a good part. And yeah, so so glad they got Mark.
Speaker 2: He really takes it and runs with it.
Speaker 1: So they're completely stuck, can't do anything, and it's getting dark.
Speaker 2: And it's winter and it's cold, and Donald's already seated that she's freezing it. It's off right from the beginning, as she says.
Speaker 1: So they have that awkward bit where they start singing row your.
Speaker 2: Boat, just to get the episode title in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Lawrence stops them, and I'm glad he does because it was a bit cringey.
Speaker 2: You've got to sing before when you know you're about to die.
Speaker 1: I suppose. Yeah, And so we find out a little bit more about Lawrence's situation being stuck. You know that he'd stayed in the area after UNI, and then he says he continued teaching athletes. So I didn't find that very realistic that he said he got a PGC, and then he was suddenly a UNI lecturer. I think you'd need like a PhD or something to do that.
Speaker 2: But I assume so, yeah, maybe they couldn't find someone. Oh yeah, we really need some once to teach this class. You'll do.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the idea being that he just he's not not moved on at all.
Speaker 2: Just teaching the class that he's already learned, still got his notes.
Speaker 1: I feel that there's a few references in this episode to previous episodes, and the first one that I've got here is the Game of Thrones, Yes, ruined the ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, funnily enough, I'm not sure if you're aware Mark Gatters was in.
Speaker 1: Yes, So that's it's nice the little shot on his face of he can't really say anything, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Although he was in it, I think in the early years I remember.
Speaker 1: Rightly, So, yeah, so the ending wasn't his fault.
Speaker 2: It wasn't only wasn't his fault.
Speaker 1: In any way. And when they say about ruining the ending, Lawrence says, well, I'm not going to do that, which is a little bit foreboding.
Speaker 2: Ye. Also, we missed the line earlier of I think it's Callum says you haven't lured me here under false pretenses, have you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is another hint to is Laurence going to go on a murdipery mm hmmm. I fully expected, did you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I did, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was just expect Teresa's character to be a bit unhinged in some way. Yeah, and that the bag was gonna have a bomb in it or oh yeah, something.
Speaker 1: So he reveals at this point Matt his wife body. Yeah, he kept saying that she was going to be with them. Yes, it turns out she is with them because her she's dead and her ashes are in the bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, said was what they call technically true.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is the one year anniversary of her death as well, So that's very sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not doing well.
Speaker 1: No, And they ask him, so you wanted us to be here to scatter her ashes and he says sort of yeah, and then immediately dives.
Speaker 2: In mm hm out of the blue, go into the blue.
Speaker 1: Into the murky gray.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we've already seeded that you'll die if you do that. Well, yeah, but what can they do? You can't really stop him, No, you can't jump in after him no, watch him swim off. And then they all start to get a bit come to their senses and realize what's going on. Like now they've not been the best people. Lawrence has been trying to reach out, especially to Callum, and Callum be ignoring him. Yeah, and then it actually gets properly dark by this point.
Speaker 1: This was the moment where you know, we were saying the depth that Donna has. She's you know, she's quite profound in her own way. When you know, they're talking about dealing with ship and she's like, his wife's died. You can't just scoop that up in a little blue bag and hang out for a tree which is in it, she decides to say a funny way of putting it, but you know, it's quite a good point, and that.
Speaker 2: She's quite happy with her life like they've they're all saying all the sad stuff that's happened to them, and she's like, I'm quite happy. I've got my nice little job and got friends and she's quite content her. Yeah, which is lovely but all you can really.
Speaker 1: Hope for exactly. And yeah, the other the other reference of shitting in a painting, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, I don't remember, but I feel like there must be some sort of reference, something that happened to them to have brought it up twice. Yeah, this must be a real story that happened to someone.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Presumably it wasn't them specifically.
Speaker 1: But yes, I hope not.
Speaker 2: I imagining one of them found it in somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they heard from someone else. I just yeah, I think that this is an episode with a lot to say about, you know, the paths that we take, and how whatever path you take, it's easy to feel like the grass is greener on the other side.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know, we've all we've all got regrets of like could have done this, should have done that, Yeah it's too late now, sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And even did you get to the top of very top of your field doesn't mean that you're going to be happy.
Speaker 1: With it exactly, which is lovely and depressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get more to Darren's story, so he reveals that he's dyslexic, with the great line of if life gives you malons, you're probably dyslexic.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's why he's why he's so keen on writing this book to help other people that might be like him. Yeah, because he's probably struggled at school, which is quite sweet, even if it still as a non original idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the thought that counts. I love how that they temper the serious stuff with comedy still, you know. Yeah, Donnas sort of anti climax of I've got to think of something bad that's happened to me now. Actually wrote down the word bathos, and then I thought it was a bit wonky to say that.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what that word means.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like humorous anti climax, undercutting something. Yeah, I remember it from school.
Speaker 2: No one asked knew that word. So Lawrence, Lawrence has survived. He is on this island, his little torch going.
Speaker 1: He has a little shrine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do we reckon he's built this then? Or is this maybe a place they used to come to a lot and they've built it before or possibly because was all this stuff in his little bag?
Speaker 1: Was it all in his bag?
Speaker 2: Seems like quite a lot of stuff. I'm assuming that the fireworks must have already been there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because a lot of fireworks go.
Speaker 2: On, quite a lot of fireworks and they're not exactly small and they've had a long the like big tubular things to be rockety ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he must have had a lot of preparation. He must have done to this before the actual episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which makes me wonder what actually is in the bag then, what he needed that he hadn't already brought but hmm, Yeah, he's got this little shrine set up, and we get the presumption that this is where him and Bonnie got where he proposed to Bonnie originally, not the Caribbean, this island. Yeah. And he gets really sad that he's missing her a lot and the anniversary and he's not known how to say goodbye properly. Yeah, and wants to send her off with a.
Speaker 1: Bang and notably he's shivering obviously, Yes, and.
Speaker 2: Again with the serious to funny of So this is the point where they discover there's a box from Ashes to Flashes in his stuff, which is the most it's so depressing.
Speaker 1: Do you think I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think the concept is okay. I think the concept is quite nice in a way.
Speaker 1: You just think that, okay, yes, you can understand that really sad.
Speaker 2: No, I do think it's almost a nice idea in a way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we get to see this memorial far work display, which is a really lovely moment. It's sweet and where Donna's really like, you know, she says, oh, I'm going to cry, and she's just really genuine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're really sweet how they hug each other, and she's just like we do genuinely seem like a nice little couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very sad episode.
Speaker 2: We didn't really get any better from.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, because I mean the next thing is Lawrence just lying down next to the shrine, lying down to die. I do, well, maybe we'll save that for the end, but I have questions over what his intentions were. Yeah, but yeah, he lies down, and then Callum and Darren start to fight over whether it's a good idea to go swim over to him or not.
Speaker 2: Especially Callum's going to know that this isn't he won't be in a good fit state, like you know what hypothermia will be doing to him. So yeah, but what what what realistically are they going to do.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous, isn't it.
Speaker 2: They're just going to be in not anymore in the same boat.
Speaker 1: Like nice one planned but nice all the same. Yeah, And so they you know, they're they're standing up on the boat and fighting and you know, all this drama, and then we cut to black Ye possibly did they fall in, didn't they? We don't know. I don't know at that point.
Speaker 2: No, and then it's next day and somehow Lawrence is in.
Speaker 1: A boat, Yeah, little boat, a little.
Speaker 2: Boat, and he's quite confused. What's going on? Where are his friends? He just gets told they're on the other side.
Speaker 1: Well, he's he's been rowed by this mysterious fisherman that he saw yessly with his hood ob scaring his face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't. I did not remember any of this at all.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I remember thinking when when the fireworks went off, and we've not seen the guy that was wandering around again, and I was like, we're just going to forget about him. Yeah, what was his point? What was the pot?
Speaker 1: Was he?
Speaker 2: Here? Is he? I remember thinking, is he setting off the fireworks? Like because they seem to be coming from further away from Lawrence than they should be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a bit weird, very elaborated.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe he was just hired to set off the fireworks. Yeah, totally forgot about everything else.
Speaker 1: So this this I'll continue to call him the fisherman. He says, the friends are fine, they're on the other side. Yeah, And he says that he's been watching Lawrence for some time sometime. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Lawrence kind of just goes along with it, Yes, and eventually might get to a little dock and get off the boat. Yeah, at which point the fisherman wants holds out a hand for payment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've written in my notes. Lawrence coughs up, literally.
Speaker 2: And he starts to realize at this point Lawrence maybe hasn't made it. Maybe Lawrence, maybe Lawrence has died, bless him. Yeah. So at this point we realize the fisherman is Karen, the ferryman of the dead, cross the river sticks and all that.
Speaker 1: Yes, you say, we realize it relies on the audience now in their Greek mythology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And so that's like the thing of you would put a penny in the dead's mouth to pay for passage in the afterlife and all this sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Because that's the thing is that even if you don't know the depths and ins and outs of it, like, it's still fairly obvious.
Speaker 2: I think something weird's going on. If he's coughing up a giant penny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, also, especially the way that they present him as this hooded figure like it's also crossing into the grim reaper kind of thing as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the weird voice.
Speaker 1: So it's all the imagery, is there.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we've all got this, you know, concept of a sort of final journey to the afterlife sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I did expect, I don't know, the jetty to be a little bit more elaborate, but yeah, yeah, and he seems quite a piece at this point. M Lawrence has kind of figured figured out what's going on, and then he hears his name being called, yeah by what we have to as se is Bonnie.
Speaker 1: Yes, they hold on that final shot of him like he's about to sort of say Bonnie, Like they hold on it for like a long time. It looks like twice he tries to speak but can't quite say it. Yeah, it's a nice moment.
Speaker 2: And obviously the fact that that fisherman's saying they're on the other side implies, since we now know Lawrence has died, that the rest must have survived. Well, yeah, they're on the other side. Is still alive.
Speaker 1: That's that's one interpretation. Oh, I was. I was a bit confused because it could mean Matt or it could also mean, you know, because he's still in transit at that point when he asked that question, they have already gone, are they on the other side, So they may already be So I think you can interpret it either way, really, yeah, because it's interesting how he looks back at the pedolo and the Pedlo's still there in the place that it was, but they've gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I took it as like we've crossed over and that this is like the shadow version of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is not Yes, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: There's no people there, like, yeah, just the inanimate objects. But yeah, I guess if Callum and Darren Forton fell in, Yeah, I didn't get couldn't get to land, they would struggle get hypothermia quicker because they'd be constantly in water. They might they'd have died, yeah quickly. Dono Matter tried to save them and something else badly happened to her, Yeah, whereas Lawrence just slowly slipped away over the few hours.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's kind of there's kind of two ways of looking at that. I'm not, yeah, because he does say don't worry about them, because again that could mean don't worry about them, they're still alive, or it could mean don't worry about them, they're at peace, their souls are okay, sort of thing.
Speaker 2: You'll see him in twenty minutes. Yeah, yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting. So that was one of my questions, was what happened to the others. But my other question was was it always Lawrence's plan to die or was it a case of, you know, he found himself in that situation and it was what it was sort of thing. I think the latter, Yeah, I think the latter.
Speaker 2: I think the original would have been. He'd have rode up to the island. They have all got off, he'd have lit the fireworks and they've all stood together and watched them. Yes, but they got tangled up and he thought fuck it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing. Once he was once he made that decision to dive in, I think he knew he was going.
Speaker 2: To die, or at least he didn't care anymore exactly. Yeah, it wasn't If he makes it out, fine, if he doesn't, he doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: As long as he could do that. What he'd set out to do with the fireworks and the memorial. Yeah, that was the important bit, didn't matter what happened to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And I took from the the Fisherman saying, been watching you for some time? Yeah, maybe maybe Lawrence has been suicidal.
Speaker 1: Yeah for a while. Yes. The other potential thing is just to throw a complete curve ball out there, like, maybe none of this happened. Maybe this is all some sort of afterlife sort of dream. Maybe Lawrence dies and then in his imagination he gets he gets his friends back together, maybe and they sort of you know.
Speaker 2: He's not seen them for twelve years. He wants to, yeah, reconnect or whatever.
Speaker 1: And Donna just comes along for the right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know how she fits in. But it's also quite sad to think that Lawrence had kids, Like these kids have lost both their parents within a year. Shows that Lawrence isn't really thinking properly. No, it's really really hit him. Obviously it would, but you've got the kids, you'd think you just you just have to deal with it.
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, it's a very depressing episode for what.
Speaker 2: Is the most of it quite a funny episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that just again sums up the show. Doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Why do we do this to ourselves? It's an i'd want to pick as an opening episode.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It's very different, especially considering how depressing it is. I don't know which one of the series had a put first, but.
Speaker 1: I guess at this point, you know they've got their dedicated true Yeah, yeah, do something a bit different.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's definitely a far cry from like Zanzibar and Wuthering Heist, like as a season opener.
Speaker 2: So we're ranking, yes, please, Oh you want me to go first? Okay, I really like it, but it's not one of my favorites by any stretch. I like it for what it tries to do, but I think I think I'm going to go with six.
Speaker 1: Okay, mine is a seven. Yeah, I think it's good. I think the cast really elevates it, and so many things like that just came together to make this so good so good as well. So yeah, I think I rate it at seven.
Speaker 2: If it hadn't been Mark, I don't think it would have worked as well by any stretch. Obviously, Dian Morgan's great, but if specifically Mark Katis, yeah, yeah, good one. This being a good series, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because is this where you say you've only seen them once, probably, I think so. Yeah, so that'll be interesting.
Speaker 2: From memory, I remember most of them being good.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, nice big question.
Speaker 2: Did you spot the hair right?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm so tentative now because I'm got so excited previously when I thought I'd spotted it and it turned out I hadn't, go on, be brave, I did. I'm sure I spotted it. Yeah, it's to the left of the shrine. It is, Thank God for that.
Speaker 2: I don't know why the hell it's in the shrine, but yes it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, I guess it's some special thing that she loved or something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When he pulled out the picture of her, I was thinking, it's going to be in the photo. It's got to be.
Speaker 1: I was looking. I was looking at the picture of the dogs, thinking, O, is it somewhere behind the dogs or something. No, it was to the left of the shrine, and I saw it and I thought that's definitely I paused it and I was like, that is it? Isn't it? But yeah, it's definitely it because.
Speaker 2: You can just see the ears in a silhouette for a while and then you do see it properly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yes, thank God for that.
Speaker 2: The listener, did you spot a hair? It will be somewhere hiding in the episode. We will tell you next week where it was.
Speaker 1: We will. It's that time of the podcast. It's message corner. A couple of little comments this week. First one comes from Holly on TikTok. The time of recording our series six has just started going out, and Holly commented and said, my Tuesdays are so much better now. As soon as I'm awake, I do a happy dance knowing what I get to listen to as I get ready for work. Ah, that's so sweet, lovely Holly, Thank you, Holly. And then similarly for our coming back for series six, from Alex, who commented on Spotify and said, great to have you back. I got the hair this time. That last one was devious. I'm trying to look back to see what that was now.
Speaker 2: To haven't told, I'm guessing I was quite proud of that one.
Speaker 1: Yes, you did do very well in that one.
Speaker 2: Took a few takes.
Speaker 1: And yet Alex continues and says, because this is our wathering hist episode, he says the problem with this show is that episodes can be tarnished by what comes before and after it, especially if one binge them like I did. Like Yant, I felt this episode was a bit meh, but after a rewatch, I fell in love. It's ridiculous and so much fun and this is the best pit, he goes. I'd happily write more, but Spotify only allows me five hundred characters to comment with very sat.
Speaker 2: I hope that's what we're going to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brilliant. I like your work, Alex, Yes, well done. So yeah, thanks for that. I hope you are excited to cover the rest of series seven.
Speaker 2: It should be good. Next week's a really good one as well from memory.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so we're back next week with mister King indeed. But until then, I think it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: You never really leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the ninth. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.