Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the Bible teaching ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we continue in a series called Transformed. In these lessons, Rick uncovers key principles found in God's.
Speaker 2: Word that will completely.
Speaker 1: Transform our lives from the inside out in every area including spiritual, physical, mental, emotional, relational, financial, and vocational. Now, if you can improve in any of these areas I just mentioned, stay with us, because in just a few moments we're going to let you know how you can have your very own Transformed study kit from Pastor Rick, which includes a seven session DVD and workbook. You can take a sneak peek right now by going to pastororik dot com while you listen, and if you want, you can just text the word Daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four to out more. Right Now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with part two of a message called how to Deal with how You Feel.
Speaker 2: Satan's favorite tool. Listen to this. Satan's favorite tool in your life is negative emotions. It's his favorite tool. He will use fear to whip you around. He will use resentment and jealousy and envy to whip you around. He'll use bitterness and worry and anxiety. He'll use shame to beat you up. Satan's favorite tool is to whip you around with negative emotions. If you don't know how to manage your emotions, you are helpless against Satan. You don't want to be manipulated, so you want to learn the skill we're going to look at this weekend, because he wrecks so much havoc in our lives emotionally. First Peter five eight says this, be self controlled and alert. Be self controlled and alert your enemy. The devil prows around like a roaring lione looking for someone to vour. If you don't have self control, he will eat your lunch. So what he's saying, okay, number three, I need to manage my emotions because I want to please God. I don't want to just know that my feelings are unreliable, and I know that I don't want to be manipulated by other people, or by my old nature, or by the devil. But I also want to please God. And God cannot be God in my life if emotions are God in my life. God can't rule my life if my emotions rule my life, Jesus can't be lord of my life if my emotions are my lord of my life. If I make all my decisions simply based on how I feel, then I've made my feelings God, and then God can't be God. The Bible says in Romans eight six to eight to be control controlled by human nature results in death, but to be controlled by the spirit results in life and peace. And those who obey their old human nature cannot please God. Circle that so you can't please God if your emotions dominate your life and they are running your life, and your decisions are made based on how do I feel rather than what does God say. Finally, number four, the fourth reason I must manage my emotion is because I want to succeed in life. This is one of the number one predictors of success or failure in your life. Do you know how to manage your moods? Do you know how to deal with how you feel? Do you know how to control your emotions? If you don't learn how to do this, you will never be the success in life that God wants you to be or that you want to be. Study after study after study has shown that your emotional quotient is far more important than you're in intelligence quotient. Your IQ isn't nearly a lot of people don't have a high IQ very successful in life, but they've got good smarts in dealing with their emotions. They've got good smarts in dealing with how they feel, and as a result, they're people people. They know how to get along with others. We've all known people who live by their emotions and waste their life. They get on the MARSI, what do I feel like doing today? Well? Not much, so they don't do it much. And if you deal don't. If you only deal with how you feel and you just go based on what you're feeling, you're not going to succeed in life. You're not going to make much of your life. The Bible says in Proverbs Fight twenty three people get lost. You're talking about in life? People get lost and they die because of their foolishness and their lack of self control. How many people do you know who ruin the reputation because of their lack of self control? How many people do you know who ruined a job of opportunity because of something that happened on a stupid one night party and foolishness and party, and then all of a sudden boom. There you know, everything happened, from an unwanted pregnancy to all kinds of different things. People get lost, people die, that's the opposite of living because of their foolishness and lack of self control. Now, when you give your heart to Jesus, that includes your emotions. So when you say I gave my heart to Jesus, you gave your emotions to him to be managed by him. Because the heart is the seat of your emotions. And Jesus wants to be a lord of how you feel, not just what you think and what you do. He wants to be lord of your emotions. In fact, the Bible says this to believers verse Peter four to two. From now on, you must live the rest of your lives, the rest of your earthly lives, controlled by God's way will, not by human desires. What are human desires. It's your emotions, it's your fections, it's your the way you feel, he says, for the rest of your life. Now that you're a believer, your life is to be controlled by God's will, not by how you feel. So then how do I do that? Well? This is what I want to spend most of the time on this weekend. How do I manage an unmanageable or an unwieldy or an unwanted feeling? Well, you do three things and let's get right into it. Number one. The first thing you got to do in dealing with an emotion is you must name it. You must name it. What does that mean? I've got to identify it. I've got to be specific. I've got to pinpoint exactly what it is. You can't manage a vague feeling. You can only change control manage something that you have identified. And if you don't know but the problem is in your life, then you certainly can't work on it.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope Rip will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. You can sign up for Pastor Rick's free email devotional at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 3: Have you ever noticed that the world has ever changing? So called answers to your relationship struggles, solutions to your financial troubles, and explanations to your search for meaning, But what the world offers often leaves us empty and searching for more. The good news is God's Word contains timeless truths that can transform every area of your life from the inside out. That's why Pastor Rick created a very special Bible study called Transformed. In it, he'll help you discover the key Biblical principles that will completely transform you by changing the way you think. Pastor Rick covers every area of your life spiritual, physical, mental, emotional, relational, financial, and vocational, filled with weekly lessons, daily devotions, and exercises to help you go deeper in God's Word. This seven week DVD and workbook study is perfect to do on your own or with a small group of friends. We'll send you the Transformed Study kid as our way of saying thanks when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the certain hope of Jesus to people around the world. To get your copy of this great resource, call eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four or go to Pastorick dot com. That's eight hundred six hundred five zero zero four or Pastorick dot com.
Speaker 1: Once again, here's Pastor Rick.
Speaker 2: Now, you are not as good in touch with your motions at being in touch with your emotions as you think you are. We all think we're very very much in touch with our emotions. No, we're not. Really. You may even be very emotional and still not in touch with your true emotions and why you feel the way you feel. I got a friend who's a pastor, and he and his wife having a little bit of marriage problem. They went to counseling, which is a great thing, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's a good thing to do. And he was going to count sing and he said. The counselor one of the questions asked us, so, how in touch are you with your feelings? How do you think you are? And this guy said, well, oh, I think I'm very much in touch. I'm what you call a sensitive guy, a sensitive man. And the counselor said, well, then great, tell me some of the emotions that you felt this last week. Well, you know, he couldn't name anything. He said, I couldn't come up and I was just drawing a blank when I was asked, what emotion did you feel this last week? And he said finally, I said I was tired. I was hungry, And the counselor immediately shot back, those aren't emotions, and they're not they're drives, they're not emotions, okay, and so you know he thought he was really in touch, but he really wasn't. Now we laugh at that, but I have to admit I'm often confused about my emotions. I'm often confused about how I feel. Sometimes I can't define it. I couldn't tell you the number of times I've been sitting talking to my wife and Kate will say, so, what are you feeling right now? And I go, I don't know. I don't know. You know, I don't know what. I know. I'm feeling something, but I can't put a name on it. I can't I can't identify it. I can't name it. Any of you ever feel like this? You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: I know I'm feeling something, but I don't know what I'm feeling, Yogi, you know. And so if you can't name it, you can't change it. You gotta name it first. Sometimes I feel like David. So I'm fifty five too. Look here on the screen, he says, my thoughts are restless and I'm confused. Well, that's the way we are a lot of times about our feelings. We're confused, and so you want to ask a couple questions. Write these two questions down. This is the first step to managing your emotions, to becoming an emotionally strong man, to become an emotionally strong woman. Ask these two questions. First, you ask what am I really feeling? That's the first question, What am I really feeling? And what I mean by that is you need to scratch beneath the serves because what you think you're feeling is often not the real feeling. Sometimes you think I'm seeing I'm feeling a little down today, I'm feeling a little discouraged, I've got the blues, I'm a little depressed, and you think that the problem is depression. No, that's not the problem. You need to ask what's making me depressed? And then you look a little bit deeper, and it was I got criticized at work and I didn't like that, or I just got laid off, or an expectation didn't happen the way I expected it to happen. And you need to look and find the disappointment or find the worry. Sometimes it's fear. Sometimes it's repressed or put down or covered up anger. So a lot of times what you think you're feeling isn't really it? You say what am I really feeling? Here? And if you'll stop and peel the onion of you go, you know, really, my irritation isn't with you, honey. My irritation was what somebody said to me right before I left work and came home. And now I'm taking it out on you. You know what I'm talking about. It's a transference there, So you say what am I really feeling? And then the other question you want to ask is what are my triggers? What triggered this? That's a good thing to say. Now, if I were to ask you to name the emotion that gives you the most trouble in your life, would you be able to meet say, oh, I know what it is. If you don't, you're not as in touch with yourself as you think you are, because you have certain emotions that trigger responses, and you have certain triggers that trigger emotions. Now, if you can't talk about it, listen, it's already out of control. If you have a fear and you're afraid to talk about it, guess what, it's already out of control. And it is actually in talking about it that you gain control and If you don't talk it out, you're going to take it out on your body. You've heard me say this before. When you swallow your emotions, your stomach keeps score. Emotions weren't meant to be swallowed. They were meant to be shared. They were meant to be shared. So you ask yourself what's the trigger and what triggered is Sometimes a trigger can be sight, In other words, I visited a particular place and I saw that, and all of a sudden, I feel very moody or very angry, or it brings up something in the past. Sometimes a smell can trigger an emotion, isn't that true? You smell something that it can make you feel warm and comfortable, or it can make you feel afraid and angry. Okay. A trigger might be something you hear, the sound of somebody's voice or a certain noise. Touch and the way someone touches you could trigger an emotional response. You need to know these things. You can't manage what you don't know. Taste. You can taste certain things and it'll send you back the childhood and you have all kinds of experiences on that. So you say, what am I What am I really feeling? And what triggered this? Now, write this down. I can't tame it until I name it. I can't tame it until I name it. I can't solve a problem that I can't identify. So as you start by naming the emotion that you're feeling, the negative emotion that you're feeling. The second thing you do that the Bible tells us do is this Challenge it? Challenge it. You challenge what you're feeling. You don't just automatically accept what you're feeling. You don't automatically assume that it's accurate. You don't automatically assume that what you feel is the truth, correct or even reality. You challenge it, is what I'm feeling? Do I really? Are things really as bad as I feel they are? Probably not? Or are things as really as good as I feel they are? Probably not? So you need to ask yourself, is you know some questions? You challenge it? Now? David, who wrote many of the psalms, often ask God to challenge his emotions.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: That's pretty smart, since God understands you better than you do. God knows what you're feeling even when you don't know it, And God knows what triggered it, even when you don't know what triggered that emotion. And so if you say, God, I don't know what I'm feeling, I don't know where it came from, but I need your help, that's a good thing to do. David often asked God to evaluate his feelings. And since God is impartial, God can help you out. Look at this verse on the screen. The Bible says, and so I'm twenty six' to, Two Lord, cross examine. Me test my motives and my. Affections what are your? Affections there are your. Emotions test my motives and my. Feelings WHAT i? Feel what my? Affectations my? Emotions so you Ask god to help you evaluate. It but let me give you another one that's even more. Personal get a friend to help, You and that is sometimes it's best to have a friend who can challenge what you're. Feeling now you've got a pretty close friend to do. That have you given anybody in your life the permission to challenge your feelings or does everybody just have to be a yes man or yes woman to you that if you feel a certain, way there's no room For are you? Sure are you? Sure are you? Sure that's a correct. UNDERSTANDING a true friend is somebody you give permission to say are you sure about? That you give them the ability to challenge your emotion and, say you, Know, RICK i don't THINK i don't think you're thinking correctly right. NOW i don't think what you're feeling is actually. True job had a friend like. That his name Was, elfhaz and In job, fifteen verse, Twelve elifaz Asked, job why has your heart carried you? Away and why do your eyes? Flash? Now that's a poetic way of, saying how come you've run off the deep? End and why do you get so? Angry do you have anybody who can ask you that question and you wouldn't get mad at them that you know they're doing it out of. Love you need partners in your. Life you need not only a small group that's a good place to find, them but you need a spiritual, partner not a, lot just one person who you've given the right to challenge what you're feeling and, saying you know, WHAT i don't think you're thinking, correctly that's not. Right why are you going off the deep end on? This and why are you getting so angry about? It give somebody that. Permission, now let me give you three questions to ask about your own emotions when you're trying to figure out how to deal with HOW i. Feel, okay so let's say you're going let's say you're, angry or you're, upset or you're, irritated or you're, frustrated or you're depressed or. Whatever you ask three street. Questions number, one what's the real, reason the real reason That i'm feeling? This and that goes back to what we were talking. Earlier you, know maybe it's, Fear maybe it's. Worry maybe it's hooked into something that your dad said to you years and years and years, ago and when your husband said it to, you all of a, sudden, boy he gets all the wrath that you'd pent up against your dad or vice. Versa what's the real Reason i'm feeling? This second, question ask, yourself is it? True it's What i'm feeling right? Now. True there's a point Where elijah in The bible gets so, down, discouraged, depressed and he comes crying To god and he's. Complaining he, Says, God i'm beyond only one in the entire nation Of israel left serving you And god challenges. Us are you kidding? ME i got all these people who still serving. Me why are you asking acting like? That you're acting like you're the only one trying to do the right thing in the whole. World, no that's not. True so what's the real REASON i feel this? Way and in that, case he was? Tired and is it? True in that case it wasn't. True then the third, question this is really, important is What i'm feeling helping me or hurting? Me sometimes this is the simplest thing to changing an emotion by simply, saying is What i'm feeling right now going to help me get WHAT i want to? Get or is it actually going to hinder me getting for WHAT i? Get in other, words WELL i get WHAT i want by continuing to feel this. WAY a lot of feelings that we have feel, natural but they're actually they're actually self. Defeating for, instance let's say you go in and you sit down at a restaurant and the service is, slow AND i mean it's, slow and you're waiting and you're, waiting and you're waiting and waiting to be, served and then a couple comes in like fifteen minutes after you and sits down and then they get their meal before you, do and you look at your, Wife you're, going are you seeing? This you watching this? Here and you're starting to get a little, irritated and all of a sudden you feel an emotion welling up inside of. You now you, go what's the real Reason i'm feeling? This i'm? Hungry, okay, okay is it? True, yeah it's. True i'm frustrated because the service is slow, Here so that one is particularly. True but then is it helping or is it? Hurting? Okay? Question do you get better service by getting angry at a? Waitress? No this Is Pastor Rick's Daily.
Speaker 1: Hope we're so happy that you've chosen to study along with us. Today if you'd like to receive rix free daily, devotional just go to pastorick dot com and sign Up right. Now rick will be back to close out our time. Today but, first you, know the world is shouting for our attention with answers to our relationship, struggles solutions to our financial, troubles and explanations to our search for. Meaning but the world's promises leave us empty and searching for. More god's word contains the only answers that promise to transform your life from the inside. Out that's Why Pastor rick has put together The Transformed Study, kit which includes a vegan leatherbound interactive workbook and a seven video SESSION. Dvd these video sessions can be used independently or with a small group of. Friends this will help uncover Key biblical principles that will completely transform your life in every area including, spiritual, physical, mental, emotional, relational, financial and. Vocational we'll send you The Transformed Study kit as our way of saying thanks when you give a gift to Help Daily hope take The Certain hope Of jesus to people around the. World to get your copy of this great, resource call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or go To pastorick dot. Com that's eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four Or pastorick dot. Com right, now Here's Pastor rick to tell you about an exciting new. Opportunity hey, Everybody i've got some really big. News i'm going to tell you about Our Daily hope app has been completely redesigned and it's available. NOW i want you to get This Daily hope. App what we did is we listened to all your feedback and we install with all the improvements that you suggested and asked. For that devotional is now easier to. Read it's got a darker font the option to increase the font.
Speaker 2: Sizes. There we've made it easy to share this devotional with other. People you can even broadcast it right from your. Phone it's really. Cool to get the app on your, iPhone visit The iTunes app store and search For Daily hope With Rick. Warren to get the app or An android, device visit The Google Play store and search For Daily hope With Rick. Warren, now the Official Daily hope app has our yellow and blue sunburst. Logo you're familiar with that our app is a convenient way to get your daily dose Of Daily. HOPE i want you to get this app, today so download the app now and get.
Speaker 1: Started be sure to join us again next time as we look Into god's word for our daily. Hope this program is sponsored By Pastor Rick's Daily hope and your generous financial support