Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI Am six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: That hit that thing right there there.
Speaker 3: He started on KNBC when you were in kindergarten and then I've been on Fox Leve about fifteen years or so. Yeah, it's been great and I remember seeing you out in the field back in the day. That was fun, toting that microphone and the old fashioned tape recorder.
Speaker 2: It's great to be here with you. I'm looking forward to it. Good, good, good.
Speaker 1: So Phil Schuman in for Gary for a couple of days again. We will be out at Crito's in BJ or in Crito's at the BJ's coming up on Thursday. Also, I agreed to this before I knew that Phil Schuman is a from Boston and a Patriots fan and is wearing a Rams shirt currently despite the fact they lost last night.
Speaker 3: But due to egregious overtime rules that need to be changed.
Speaker 2: We can get into that later. We will.
Speaker 1: Let's start right now with this massive fire exploded when it started Thursday quickly took off. This thing had wheels. Blake Trolley from KFI News is on it and joins us. Now, Blake, what is the latest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this fire is burned now more than twenty thousand acres. That said, Cruz have been able to make some progress on this fire. We're told this is in the upper elevations of the fire. The fires right now three percent surrounded, and again crews are crediting last night's cooler temperatures, higher humidity, and the fact that they were able to get some water drops down on this fire with getting up to that three percent containment. Now, yesterday we were told that Running Springs was really the community of concern. The fire was moving towards that direction. And while Running Springs is definitely not in the clear and cruis are still stationed there today, crews have their eyes on Forest Falls, So this is to the east of Running Springs. We're told that that is the most impacted community right now as far as where.
Speaker 2: Firefighters have their eyes.
Speaker 4: That said, with this thunder activity that's happening in the area, there have been months tunal thunderstorms in the mountains here right now, it's really unpredictable where this fire will move. And because of that, firefighters really are watching this fire from all sides. From its entire perimeter because it's been so unpredictable. Calf Battalion Chief Brent Pasqua says, Saturday was a pretty treacherous day for fire crews on the ground.
Speaker 5: On Saturday, we had over three hundred lightning strikes. Luckily, we had a little bit of rain so we didn't get any new starts from those lightning strikes. But again, very hazardous to firefighters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how close did this lightning get to people that were on the ground trying to fight these fires?
Speaker 2: Very close? It was very close, so he says, very close.
Speaker 4: Now, miraculously none of these firefighters were struck by that lightning, but again he said, it really was a close call for those ground crews who are already in a really dangerous situation with the terrain here. You know, this is very steep country where this fire is burning. We're told that some of the dry grass that this fire is ripping through is two and a half feet tall. So this is the kind of fuel and if you look at the incident reports, these are fast runs.
Speaker 2: When this fire gets moving, Blake, it's phils human here.
Speaker 3: So what's it like in terms of leaving coming down the mountain? I mean there's not a lot of ways in and out of there. Yeah, there's not a lot of ways in and out of there.
Speaker 4: And there's several mountain communities that right now are on evacuation order, many more that are on evacuation warning, and they're saying officials are saying, look, guys, it's better to leave now than to wait, because as you say, there, I mean, really, there's not that many, you know, ways in and out of these mountains. There's really only two main ways through if you look at where this fire is burning. So crews right now are sorry, officials right now are cautioning to people to get out as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I have heard some reports that some people were hesitant to go, but I think since then, I've yet to hear anything about, you know, people being too hesitant. It sounds like people are getting out of the area. I spoke with some people who live in the area and they said that they had gotten.
Speaker 1: Out as this thing eating up any homes yet or are we still in just evacuation zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So there's more than thirty six thousand structures threatened shed and miraculously, so far, none of those structures have been threatened. But again, we have another really tough day ahead of us. I mean, they're expecting hot, dry, windy weather. Right before I got on with you guys, I had heard Brent Pascua tell me that they were expecting more thunderstorms. So I spoke with the National Weather Service and they said that they are anticipating more thunderstorms today, more so in the higher regions kind of outside the fire zone. But they said, nonetheless, these still could very well end up landing in this twenty thousand acre fire perimeter. And what fire officials are cautioning right now is that, Yeah, while you know, maybe at night, this thing lays down, in the afternoon, it picks up. You add that thunder, you add that lightning to it, and it gets very unpredictable. Yeah, there's got to be nothing more terrifying than being a home owner or a re renter or a resident and you know, looking up at the mountains and seeing that flame and smoke on the horizon and wondering.
Speaker 3: How fast it's to get there. The other issue was the firefighters. You know, in all that gear with one hundred degree temperatures, they can't really work the same hours in intensity as they would under normal temperatures right, No.
Speaker 4: I believe they're working a twelve on twelve off. There's eighteen hundred fifty five firefighters on scene from across California, some from out of state.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I came to this fire on Thursday, Phil and one of the most interesting things I found, and I don't know if this was it seemed to be coincidental, but when we showed up, this fire broke out in Highland and it was just north of a neighborhood there, and at the time the situation was definitely less critical. The fire at this time, I believe when I was there was a few hundred acres.
Speaker 2: I mean, we were there in its very early.
Speaker 4: Stages, and I actually saw fire crews from as far as New Jersey that were already stationed here. So I don't know if that was, you know, just by chance. I've been actually trying to like get an answer on that. But nonetheless, there were out of state cruise. It was something me and the other reporters who were on scene at the time we're talking about, was like, why are the cruise from so far away out? Now we have officials confirming, you know that other crews from other states are here, But why I do kind of wonder. One thing I also want to touch on is I do think this is a fire that officials knew was going to spread as rapidly as it did when I was there that same day.
Speaker 2: This was last week.
Speaker 4: This fire had broken out maybe twelve thirteen hours. I already had seen the command post start to be set up, which seemed kind of like an excessive response given the size of the fire at the time. But obviously they had their crystal ball because here we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Unfortunately, every few years, this is the area that is going to be hit with a massive fire, and they do know that it takes off, which is why they had all hands on deck right away. Blake Trolley, thank you so much. We'll check back with you throughout the show.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks guys.
Speaker 1: First Monday Night Football game of the year kicks off tonight. The forty nine Ers will host Aaron Rodgers and the Jets there in Santa Clara. This is Rogers return from his what four play last season rupture as achilles tendon during Week one of Monday Night Football last year. So kickoff tonight, five point fifteen. I'm looking forward to that one, and I mean I'm overjoyed this morning because it's it's victory Monday for me. I saw the Chargers win a game for the first time and way too long. This is a re energized team under Jim Harbaugh. The look, the feel, the energy there was insane that one game.
Speaker 3: No, one game, no, no, you know we're going to going to the super Bowl already.
Speaker 2: I didn't say we're going to the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: But you you have no idea what it's like to have a five and twelve season with a lame duck coach and a team that gives up, because that's what last season was. And to cover a team that has basically given up.
Speaker 2: Is really rough depress.
Speaker 1: So yesterday it was exciting. Everyone has skin in the game, everyone's all in on Jim Harbaugh. And yes, it is one game, You're right, but it is. And there were more Raiders fans there than Chargers. Well that's the way it always is with Raiders have such a stronghold in LA. But it would be the same for the Rams. Raiders.
Speaker 3: True, yeah, No, I'm excited. I think that I'm thrilled if the Charges were for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think they've got a good chance there's a lot of missing pieces. But justin Herbert's somebody that lifts people up to the occasion, you know when you look at that wide receiver corps. But anyway, that's neither here nor there. Let's talk about all the drunks. I mean, and works at so fine. And she said in her head said it was like, we need a Medicare we need a medic there?
Speaker 2: Someone's throwing up, someone's passed out.
Speaker 1: People are dropping like flies because it was so hot and humid, right, and everyone was just had so much pent up NFL energy and week one people did not.
Speaker 2: Know how to act. Well.
Speaker 1: It's also fueled by non stop drinking, right, Oh, people are wasted. Yeah, nothing makes you never want to drink again. Then an elevator ride full of drunken NFL fans after a game in the heat.
Speaker 2: They're they're hot, they're sweaty, they're.
Speaker 1: Drunk, they're loud. It's all bad and you just you're in that sounds like your crowd though usually but not when I'm working a game. You know me so well already. No, But I mean I'm in the elevator every time after the games, and I'm just like, nope, I'm never drinking again ever.
Speaker 2: Well, that's how they make their money on the Fier.
Speaker 1: But we'll get into all of that big debate coming up. We were just talking about this off the air. I don't know if it's just shows that I have no life or that I'm a nerd, but I'm really looking forward to this one and the vice presidential debate as well.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, I'm totally looking forward to this.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be key for those who and it's still shocking to me who they are, but people who are still undecided, well, I think this is going to make a difference for them.
Speaker 1: I think for the undecided, they've switched back and forth a couple times, Like back to the assassination attempt, it seemed like Trump had.
Speaker 2: It lucked right. The momentum has swung back, and.
Speaker 1: Then Harris had the best month of any politician in the history of the world, and so people kind of got on that vandwagon, and so now it's like, is there a flip flop opportunity for both of these candidates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's what a lot of the experts and the political writers and New York Times and CNN. I mean we're talking about. You know, she has to define herself for voters, and he has to continue to denigrate her and link her to Biden. I mean, there's lots of different ways to look at it. Turn the page on devisive, she says, turn the page on divisiveness, he says, to negatively shape voters perceptions of the Democrats.
Speaker 1: I was talking to one of my Republican friends the other day, and he said, if Trump could just stick to inflation and the border and leave out crime and crime and leave out all of the attibc, I'm better looking than her, so dumb, I don't respect you the things. What do you think the chances of that happening are? Well, yeah, that's what they want, you know. I mean how many people would that s It's called self control. Who hears him attack her or her appearance or whatever and goes.
Speaker 2: You know what, that's my guy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What does he gain from that, right, other than the disciples who are already you know, have drunk the kool aid?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's me to the base that's gonna follow you wherever, right go.
Speaker 3: Right, So what he has to do is, which which seems like a major accomplishment, is to be like normal and nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And what she has to do is convince people that, yeah, I know I was the vice president that nobody was too impressed with a month ago, but I can handle China, Russia, Iraq, Iran, Ukraine and the whole big picture that goes along with, you know, being the president.
Speaker 1: Not to sound sexist, but she needs to overcome the Sarah Palin, I see Russia from my front windows situation.
Speaker 2: You need to show us.
Speaker 1: Your math when it comes to international intelligence and knowledge and things like that and policy. They just within the past few days put up the policy.
Speaker 3: Right, the issues the on that IRIS website we talked about that.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. It depends on how you look at it.
Speaker 3: Some people want policy details and their position on taxes, on immigration, on abortion do some Some people want the details and vote based on that. Other people vote because they like the person a feeling. And so that to me, like if I was if I was David Muir or Lindsay Davis, which we would love to do that, right, that would be the dream job to moderating debate.
Speaker 2: I would say that President Form President Trump, tell me.
Speaker 3: About your relationship with your wife, tell me about your kids, and I would ask the same thing with Harris, and you'd get much different answers and much different feeling. Right, Yah, you'd get a picture of the person. I mean, was the last time that you saw Trump with Milania? Besides never?
Speaker 1: I can answer that question. I don't think there's much of a relationship there. I mean, when's the last time contractual? Yeah, come on, I'm just saying would. I wouldn't want that kind of insight into their personalities that maybe we wouldn't hurt. We've heard Trump, you know, with his two or three points, and we understand where Kamala is coming from, but I want some insight into their personalities. You make an excellent point in the fact that a lot of times with politicians, they don't come across as human, and when they do, it is so ingratiating. Tim Walls comes across as human, even if it's the.
Speaker 2: Coach stick or whatever. You're like, Hey, I like that guy.
Speaker 1: Now, if Trump came out it, just imagine this and was not Trump and killed her with kindness and was respectful.
Speaker 2: That's Kamala Harris's worst scenario.
Speaker 3: He did about one minute of it at the speech in the r n C after the assassination attempt, remember, and then he went right back.
Speaker 2: To his normal true. All right, coming.
Speaker 3: Aching, we're going to be watching, and then we'll obviously have plenty to talk about on Wednesday morning, right right.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, we can continue with this because they are they are preparing very differently. Yeah, we need to get into Trump and Harris. We'll talk about that before we get to the family from Hell. You know, I didn't eat anything yesterday because I was at so Far covering the Chargers on the sideline and in the greenhouse that is Sofi Stadium.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Oppressive. The heat was awful. It was at least triple digits on the field, the humidity there from the roof and no breeze to be had, and just sweating and just sitting in your sweat, and you just don't you just don't want to eat, You can't eat, and you're just pounding gatorade. How did the players stay safe? They just have to hydrate. They just got a hydrate. I mean, you could tell by the end of the game. You know they're winded, because in the preseason exactly exactly, it's the first week. I mean, you could tell they were winded in the first half remembering.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is what it's like.
Speaker 1: This is you know, they came off the field and they're they're winded, but then kind of got used to it, got in the groove as the game went on. But I was going to get a cup of noodles because that sounded I don't know good this morning, but all I had was Whole Foods and they don't have cup of noodles there. They also don't sell diet coke. This is a vegan rawm and chicken flat cut a noodle want to be and it's awful. It's the most awful ramen experience I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 3: This is what you're eating, instant ramen from Whole Foods across the street.
Speaker 1: It's the time of year when I don't make great dietary.
Speaker 3: Husband, can he help you out? You're supporting the family. You know he could pack you at lunch.
Speaker 2: Anyway. I know what you mean, though.
Speaker 3: It's so exciting that you cover the Chargers game. You know, my dream job, not that you asked me. If you said, what could you do if you had your choice of any job in the world pro football place in a second?
Speaker 1: In a second, what position I would be a linebacker. You would not be a linebacker. No, you you give me in my dreams, I'm saying, you give me more wide receiver, no cornerback.
Speaker 2: Vine. No, you have to be fast to do that.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see you. So you just want to hit people in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be the dream. And that's what's so.
Speaker 3: Football is unlike any other sport, and it's you know this because you you're there. It's team building. It's like analogous to the military.
Speaker 2: You going to war.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's hard, it's smart, it's challenging, it's fun. I mean, there's nothing like being on a team. And I say to people that don't follow sports, I feel like they're missing something. Yeah, you know you don't have a team to follow. Well I watched The Bachelor. I'm not sure that's the same thing.
Speaker 1: No, it's the play for each other. You're absolutely right. There are some military analogies you could use. Told this story yesterday on the air about Jim Harbaugh. Of course, a history of being able to turn around teams quicker than anybody anticipates and being able to do He did it at Stanford, he did it with the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: He did it in Michigan.
Speaker 1: And there's this story that goes back to his Stanford coaching days, and he said to the team in one of the early games there, he said, if you bleed during the game, you're bleeding for your teammates, and then said this quote, I want to see your blood. It was the first half when of the o linemen gets injured, he gets a gash on it. Oh boy, he goes to the sideline to get it cleaned up. Harbaugh reaches out, takes his hand, wipes the blood off this kid's arm and wipes it on his own face. I mean, that's the kind of war that exists.
Speaker 3: And see, let me make let me let me make a connection here. And you might think this is too big of a reach, but I don't think so so because in the bridge before the break, we're talking about the debate and the presidential candidates. So we're talking about it's leadership, it's inspiration, it's getting someone fired up.
Speaker 2: It's the qualities that make a great football coach.
Speaker 3: Whether it's Harball, whether it's Sean McVay, whether it's Belichick in his own way. You can use that same thing in other sports too, but it's more dramatic in football. That's what you want in a president, right, someone who inspires you, who gets you motivated well.
Speaker 1: And that's why Trump's people love him so much as he's the Bobby Knight, right, He's the guy that throws the chair across the hardwood and they love that. And that's why Kamala Harrison, Tim Walls, whoever has architect of this I want to watch this movie because when we're at the DNC and we said, who's the architect of this movie that we're watching this perfectly scripted, choreographed routine that's been the last month of this of this campaign, and the people that we talked to, Oh, it's Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: The buck stops with her. She's the one.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, she's not, No, she's not. She is not the architect of this movie.
Speaker 3: I want to know there's like a Steven Spielberg behind the scenes that you need to identit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which who doesn't get the credit, But I know what you mean.
Speaker 3: And there's also this two ways of looking at it again though, like do I need to like my president or do I just want someone that can get the job done and their personal life is their personal life. Yeah, and that seems to be a lot of people's feeling about Trump. Yes, right, and where it was Harris. If you don't like Harris Is personally and Waltz, something's probably wrong with you because they seem like delightful people. So there's a real choice here going forward, not just in policy, but in personality. And that's why tomorrow is going to be so fascinating because, like you said earlier, when Trump comes out and just insults her, what does he gain from that?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who does he gain? And we talked about undecided voters. Who's still undecided?
Speaker 3: And what would she app the microphone app if you click on yeah, the talk the talkback feature on the iHeartRadio app. Right, And like, here's here's what I would love for people to let us know. What if you're still undecided?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Which is mind boggling to me at this point. And then let's say you were in the chair of the moderator David muiror and Lindsay Davis. Maybe what would you ask either one of them like that you think is an interesting or different or unique question.
Speaker 1: I liked your question of tell me about your relationship with your spouse or whatever. What do you guys do? What do you what do you do on a on a you have a free Friday night? What are you going to do? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think that would be interesting because they give you some insight that we haven't gotten previously. I mean, we've I heard the love story of Kamala and Yug and Docky.
Speaker 2: You know, did you read that article? I sent it this morning.
Speaker 1: It was in Politico and it was how they are they're framing this like an eighty sitcom, the Harris Walls relationship and the campaign, and they we'll get into it and swamp watch because it was a really well written article about why we have this feel good feeling going on with this campaign and it's absolutely by design. It is all strategy. I also wanted to mention this. There is a new Sienna College New York Times poll, and I don't pay attention to poles. Actually Vegas shows Trump winning by a landslide in November.
Speaker 2: But they're just trying to move the line.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, but this poll is the most funded, the best funded. I guess I should say pole that exists. And so the New College New York Times poll shows the race in a dead heat.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean that's a lot of the poles is showing that. It's wild.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, they haven't even they haven't done anything really, Harrison Walls. I mean, we know what Trump's body of work is, we know where he stands. We don't really know that much about what that would look like with a Harris Wall's presidency because of the movie production that we've all been watching and the optics of that. It's kind of like yesterday when Justin Herbert only had seventy three yards and we only had sixteen rushing and we were still only behind by one point. You know, it's that kind of a thing, like you haven't done anything yet and you're still in a dead heat, and that's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: Well, how is it because you haven't done anything?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, it's not that far off from what it was when Biden was still the candidate. And then Harrison picked up some momentum from the from the DNC that she's still trying to maintain.
Speaker 1: Well, she pulls much better than Biden did when it comes to a showdown with She's picked up a lot of voters that Biden was struggling with, the Latino voting block.
Speaker 2: The younger voting block.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so so that's she's been able to make up some ground there, but he's made up ground too.
Speaker 2: And you just got to have to follow the money.
Speaker 1: The amount of money being thrown into this campaign on either side is incredible.
Speaker 3: Well, and with it so close, that's why things like the debate are so important.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, some historically you talk to academics and debates don't really matter. It's like, oh, really, what happened in the Biden Trump debate. That was pretty much the end of the Biden candidacy. So debates definitely matter. But uh, and these polls, you know, you have to look at who there, who they're questioning. Is it registered voters, is it likely voters, is it you know everyone? Yeah, and then obviously the margin of errors, it.
Speaker 1: Actually only comes down to a couple of states and the undecideds in those states.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the debate will be tomorrow in Philadelphia. Kamala has been there studying for days. Trump is going to wing it. That's just those two personalities, right, and it's going to come across just like that. It'll be ninety minutes hosted by ABC, starts at six hour time. It will also stream if you're a streamer on Disney Plus and Hulu.
Speaker 2: Big Lots. You ever go to a Big Lots I have in my life. Yeah. I think they're will close, aren't they?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're filing for bankruptcy. About a month after it announced it would be closing hundreds of stores, they said in a.
Speaker 2: Statement, I'm not proud of it.
Speaker 1: High inflation and interest rates have hurt customer spending. As long as you're not buying like your underwear there or something.
Speaker 3: Well, no, you know what's hurt these stores starts with an A rhymes with the sham Amazon.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh wow, unbelievable. Yeah, just in my own life. How many times do I actually go to a physical store anymore?
Speaker 2: Right? Not not unless you have to just the grocery store.
Speaker 1: What about clothes I buy off Instagram straight from China?
Speaker 3: Seriously a lot of the time. Well you have like a perfect size too or what? You don't have to try on clothes?
Speaker 2: No I do? I send them back? Yeah you can do that? Yeah, uh so yeah, Big Lots you know that.
Speaker 1: Speaking of underwear at a discount store, you know, John Cobalt buys his underwear and bulk a.
Speaker 2: Place in Lake arrowhead. Why would you know that?
Speaker 1: I know, I don't know why I know that. I mean, I've worked on the show for a number of years. I heard a lot of things that is that is inside information. See TV people, you're more buttoned up. You're all polite with each other, at least that's how it looks on the outside. Everyone's smiling, everyone looks great. You're all dressed to perfection. Here we do things a little differently, and we know where we buy our underwear from. You know, we see we're in a room for so many hours. There there's smells, there's there's things that happen.
Speaker 2: It's awful.
Speaker 1: Welcome, welcome, all right, all right, this family is awful. This of course, we're talking about the school shooter, right and over the weekend I started reading about this. Of course, the news was last week when you were here. I was not here. You were here last week.
Speaker 2: Right now, Marla and Garrett. I thought the afternoon that was the week that was Monday.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so this was the school shooter that took out four people in the in the high school in Georgia.
Speaker 2: My computer has frozen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So then we come to find out about the gun that the father bought him, and then we come to find out over the weekend the mother phoned the school because she got this disturbing text from her son, Yeah it sad, and warned them, but they didn't intervene in time.
Speaker 1: They said it was cryptic, but I think it said something like I'm sorry, I'm sorry. She saw that and knew that her kid was going to open fire. This was a kid who was questioned last year after making threats on on social media. On Discord I believe was the app he was using.
Speaker 3: Again the downside of social media on the Internet, but.
Speaker 1: Also the upside of waving the red flag and somebody seeing it.
Speaker 2: And so he is questioned but not taking action.
Speaker 1: But not taking action, the father is told that his son is under investigation for threats, yet despite that, buys him in Ar fifteen as a gift, just months after the kid is questioned.
Speaker 2: So there were so many failures on so many levels.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then the reaction to it once again, I mean, how many of these have we reported on?
Speaker 2: Too many, We've covered them.
Speaker 3: It's like hard in the schools, one hundred percent wrong response. Soften the schools find out these kids that are that are waiting to explode and get them.
Speaker 2: Help right when they need it. I saw that how hard is that that you sent?
Speaker 1: And I thought, wow, that's such an interesting conversation because usually the conversation is what is the security in the school? Is there an officer at the front, is there an officer in the hallways? Are we going to arm the teachers with guns? Teachers that don't want to have guns? All of this hardening talk, right, but what about getting in there and having mental health treat for kids when they are showing signs of going that they're going to need it. This is the age group where you really want to get in there. And just if this kid has no one to talk to in his private life, having somebody to talk to anywhere would go along.
Speaker 3: One hundred per And school officials and leaders and teachers know that. But it's a question of where you spend your money. Do we hire do we hire more police officers? Do we hire more counselors? Because there's no way to make a school impregnable. Well, they're not banks, they're not fortresses, they're schools.
Speaker 1: And wouldn't it be nice to get in there when these kids are in middle school and and and remove the stigma. I mean, we're seeing kids with more psychological problems now than ever before. At least they're showing their signs and the kids are reporting it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: To get in there and.
Speaker 1: Start exposing these kids to hey, there is help, it's it's okay, remove the stigma of anything, because who knows what the parents are saying. Like in this case, this teenager's grandfather says that the kid was driven by his father to do what he did. He called for the father to face the death penalty. Now dad has been charged in relation to the killings. He admitted to authorities that he bought the weapon used in the attack. The mother on this side of the family tree has a criminal record dating back to two thousand and seven. She spent time in jail as recently as this passed April. She's been banned from contacting the teenager without a third party intermediary. She has a record across four Georgia County's drug use, domestic violence, property damage fraud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not a pretty picture, but then the question is, you know, was was anybody watching this young man? This was a new school, different from the one that he was attending. When they had when he was interviewed by the FBI a year ago. So you'd think that there'd be some type of tracking where there's a way to you know, this kid when he's school because school just started the day before.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I heard from a FBI spokesperson over the weekend and she said, just because the FBI reached out once and investigated this father son duo, doesn't mean that we continually monitor them, right to which I say, well, there's got to be.
Speaker 2: A happy medium.
Speaker 1: The FBI can't keep tabs on everybody that it investigates at every point, but there's got to be especially when there's a kid involved in high school and they're going through all of the prefrontal cortex development and figuring out like you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all schools have that to some degree now, like the LAUSD for example, which is what's five hundred thousand students, the nation's second largest. They have a very formalized crisis Counseling and intervention service program where they try to do just that, identify troubled kids, kids with the potential problems, kids who have made threats, kids who are bullied, which is all of what happened with this kid in Georgia and try to intervene. But that's not their primary job, right The primary job is education. So it's not an easy problem to resolve, as we've seen over and over and over again. But when then you hear somebody like jd Vance's response is way up to harden the schools, it just seems like just a rote response that really isn't based on any unrealistic plan.
Speaker 1: As jd Vance said, anything that has helped him, I haven't paid it, end to.
Speaker 2: Look for it.
Speaker 1: I haven't really paid attention. It was so nice being on vacation last week. By the way, I've never been to Mammoth. I've lived here for what nineteen years, never had been. I'd heard people say they go up there all the time, and I always said, like, oh, it's a five hour drive.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's five hours. What did you do? And it was gorgeous. I mean, I can't wait to go back.
Speaker 1: Voting, boating, kayaking, boating, went on a hike.
Speaker 2: I did realize though, that.
Speaker 1: Hiking at high elevation and then choosing a hike where you gain an other thousand feet probably not a great idea when you haven't been acclimated to the high elevation. I took this hike maybe less than twelve hours before or after we got there, and I'm like halfway up this this breathing hard, and I started getting dizzy and I'm feeling a little nauseous, and.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to drink. You didn't have the ramen with you. I didn't listen football season. All bets are off, Okay, I don't have time the meal playing.
Speaker 3: There are so many great things to do right here in California, right and we never do any of them.
Speaker 1: I also hadn't been to Big Serve before. I went there earlier this year, but it was great, and Mammoth Lakes and all the different lakes and I want to go see that one. I want to go see that one and just beautiful. And the people up there are so nice as well.
Speaker 2: There's so many different parts of California.
Speaker 3: You think of people outside of California think of LA and that's it, right, Yeah, maybe San Francisco.
Speaker 1: And those are like the two worst places right now. Well what you're looking for, but you got to get out there. Kamala Harris destroyed San Francisco or Gavenus well they both, Yeah, yeah, all right. You know what I found too at the DNC. We talked about it a little bit on the show when we got back is democrats don't love Gavin News. The Democrats in power are not fans of Gavenue.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, he's on the road today and tomorrow he's going to end up in Pennsylvania. He's probably going to be one of those surrogates in the spin room after the debate, okay, supporting her So yeah, fakely his star has kind of risen and fallen quickly in the past year, but I wouldn't count him out.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap