Speaker 1: All right, So get this. You're about to be a cyber detective for a day. We're diving deep into thread hunting.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, and.
Speaker 1: You've provided us with a playbook to help us out here. Okay, bread hunting playbooks for minor tactics, all right.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Think of it like this, someone is trying to break into a high tech company called Digitech. Okay, We're going to follow along step by step and see how security experts try to catch them.
Speaker 2: It's like we have a front row seat to a digital crime scene. We'll be looking for those subtle clues, you know, those fingerprints that attackers leap.
Speaker 1: Behind, exactly. And this playbook uses something called I dre At and CK tactics, which is basically a library of all the sneaky things that attackers might try. Yeah, kind of like a hacker's encyclopedia of evil.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a great way to put it. It's a cheat sheet of adversary behavior and help security teams anticipate and detect potential threats.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's imagine our hacker, we'll call him Shadow, is starting his attack. Right. The first phase is reconnaissance. He wants to scope out Digitech, figure out their weaknesses, kind of like casing the joint before robbery exactly.
Speaker 2: Reconnaissance is all about gathering information. In the physical world, it might be observing security patrols or testing door handles. In the digital world, it's about scanning networks, probing for open ports, and looking for vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: So Shadow is lurking in the shadows trying to gather intel on digitech.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know it's interesting. Attackers are getting really good at blending in. They might even mimic normal user behavior to avoid detection.
Speaker 1: That's right. Wow. They might slowly gather information over time, making their activity appear less suspicious. Yeah, it's a constant cat and mouse game between attackers trying to stay hidden and defenders trying to spot them.
Speaker 2: This is already making me paranoid. How do we catch Shadow in the act? Do we even begin to look for these digital breadcrumbs?
Speaker 1: Well, one place to start is by examining Windows logs.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: These are like security cameras for your computer systems.
Speaker 2: They record every event from user logins to file accesses, giving us a detailed timeline of activity.
Speaker 1: Wait, so every time I log in, every file I open, it's all being recorded. Yes, that's kind of creepy, but also super helpful.
Speaker 2: It it is, especially if we suspect something fishy. For instance, imagine seeing a spike in failed log in attempts on a server outside of business hours. That could be Shadow trying to brute force this way in.
Speaker 1: Or maybe just an employee forgetting their password after a long weekend.
Speaker 2: Maybe. Yeah, but that's where threat hunting comes in. We don't just look at individual events in isolation. We analyze patterns, look for anomalies, try to connect the dots.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about finding a smoking gun, it's about piecing together the evidence like a digital detective.
Speaker 2: Precisely, one failed login might be nothing, yeah, but a sudden flood of them, especially from unusual IP addresses, that's when we dig deeper.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say Shadow has finished his recon and gathered enough intel on Digitech. What happens next.
Speaker 2: That's where the developing resources stage comes in. Okay, Now Shadow needs tools and access points within Digitechs network to actually launch his attack. Think of it like smuggling weapons into a fortress.
Speaker 1: Hold on. So he's not just breaking in, right, He's setting up shop inside their network.
Speaker 2: That's scary it is. Yeah, attackers are essentially building their arsenal within your network. Wow, they might even use your own systems against you.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I'm really paranoid. But how would Shadow even get those tools in?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: It's not like he can just upload a hacking toolkit to their server, right he.
Speaker 2: Might try, Yeah, but more often attackers exploit vulnerabilities in software or use social engineering tactics like phishing preaching.
Speaker 1: That's where those sneaky emails come in, Yes, trying to trick and plays into giving away passwords or downloading malware exactly.
Speaker 2: And this is where our playbook focuses on initial access. Okay, remember those urgent emails about your account being compromised or those important attachments you never expected? Those could be shadows way in.
Speaker 1: I've gotten so many of those, right, I was just delete them right away.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what about PowerShell? Oh yeah, I've heard that can be dangerous too.
Speaker 2: It can be. It's a very powerful tool that a lot of system administrators use, right, but attackers can also take advantage of it.
Speaker 1: Oh, so I've got to be careful about that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: So basically I should treat every email like it's a Nigerian print scam.
Speaker 2: Got it, It's not a bad strategy. Yeah, a healthy dose of skepticism can go a long way in cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's say Shadow successfully tricks someone at Digitech into opening a malicious attachment. Okay, we're clicking a bad link. What happens then? Does he have full access? Now?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily, he's breached the perimeter, but he still needs to execute his malicious code. Think of it like this. Okay, he's snuck into the building, but he still needs to find the control room to take over.
Speaker 1: All right, So Shadows in, but he's not in control yet. Right. What does this execution phase look like? In the digital world.
Speaker 2: We're talking about running malicious code, basically unleashing the attack. Okay, and it can leave some pretty telltale signs, like what we might see files being executed from unusual locations like a temporary directory, or programs being launched with strange command line arguments.
Speaker 1: Wait, so the location of a file matters?
Speaker 2: It does?
Speaker 1: I just assumed it could run from anywhere it can.
Speaker 2: But it's unusual. Think of it this way. You usually wouldn't store your valuable jewelry in the garage, right, Yeah, good points, same idea with files, Okay, they usually run from specific authorized directories. Anything else raises a red flag.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, so if we see a program launching from a weird spot, right, that's a signed shadow, might be up to no good, That's right. What else would tip us off?
Speaker 2: We'd also be looking for unauthorized use of certain file types.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Imagine seeing an executable file dot ex disguised as an innocent document dot doc. That's a classic sign of malware trying to hide its true nature.
Speaker 1: So it's like putting a scary mask on a harmless teddy bear to trick people exactly, thanky.
Speaker 2: And of course, if we find a known malware signature, that's a major red flag. It's like finding shadows fingerprints at the scene of the crime.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm starting to feel like a real cyber detective here. Yeah. So we've got shadows recon his sneaky entry and now the execution of his attack. What's next in his evil plan? What's he going to do now that he's gotten this far.
Speaker 2: Well, he's not gonna just pack up and leave now, you know, attackers are persistent, like a stubborn virus. Oh yeah, even if we detect and block shadows initial attack, he's going to try and stick around find ways to maintain his access.
Speaker 1: So even if we catch him red handed, he's going to try and slip back in and talk about a bad house guest. How don't even do that?
Speaker 2: They establish what we call persistence, a way to maintain a foothold even if their initial access is cut off. Think of it like leaving a hidden back door key just in case.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. But wouldn't our security systems notice something like that.
Speaker 2: They might. Yeah, but attackers are clever, right. They exploit legitimate system tools and processes to blend in.
Speaker 1: So they're using our own tools against us. That's sneaky, it is. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Imagine Shadow creating a hidden scheduled task okay that runs his malicious code every day at three am.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Or maybe he modifies a registry key okay, to ensure his malware loads every time the computer starts up.
Speaker 1: Hold on registry keys. Those sound complicated. I make sure I want to know what those are.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. You don't need to be a tech whiz to understand the concept. I think of the registry as a giant control panel for your computer. Attackers can tweak those settings to do all sorts of sneaky things.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm getting a mental image of Shadow fiddling with a bunch of dials and switches behind the scenes. But if he's hiding in plain sight, how do we even find those persistence mechanisms.
Speaker 2: That's where our threat hunting skills come in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: We need to know what normal activity looks like so we can spot anything out of place.
Speaker 1: So it's like knowing that your neighbor always leaves for work at eight am.
Speaker 2: Exactly if you see their car leaving at three am, you know something's up right. Okay, we establish baselines of normal behavior and look for deviations. Gotcha, unexpected scheduled tasks, modified registry keys, changes to system files. These are all red flags that might indicate persistence.
Speaker 1: Okay. Let's say we've managed to detect and disrupt shadows persistence, All right, Is he finally gone for good? Not?
Speaker 2: If he can help it, he might try to escalate his privileges next. Remember, he might have gotten in, but he's likely still operating with limited access. Okay, he wants to gain admin rights. The keys to the Kingdom.
Speaker 1: So he's like a thief who's snuck in through a window but now wants to find the master key to unlock every room exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's where privileged escalation comes in. Shadow wants to elevate his access, gain control over more systems, and ultimately inflict more damage.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how does he pull that off? Does he just like type in a magic password or something.
Speaker 2: I wish it were that easy. Yeah, he's going to exploit vulnerabilities and software misconfigurations and systems, or even try to steal credentials from unsuspecting users.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's tricky. So he could be targeting those employees who use.
Speaker 2: Weak passwords exactly or reuse the same password for everything, right, Yeah, remember that your password has expired email you ignored last week. Shadow might be counting on that.
Speaker 1: This guy is relentless. But how do we spot him if he's constantly changing tactics.
Speaker 2: We look for suspicious user account activity. Imagine seeing a sudden change in a user's group membership, or someone logging in at odd hours from an unusual location.
Speaker 1: So anything out of the ordinary, anything that doesn't fit the usual.
Speaker 2: Pattern precisely, and we'd also be on the lookout for commands being executed with elevated privileges. If a regular user suddenly tries to access sensitive system files, that's a huge red flag.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm starting to understand how this works. It's all about knowing what's normal and then looking for anything that deviates from that baseline. That's right, But I have to ask, wouldn't most companies have firewalls and anti virus software, of course, to block this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: They do, but attackers are constantly finding new ways to bypass those defenses. Oh wow, they're masters of disguise, always evolving their techniques. So it's a never ending arms race, it is, and that's why defense evasion is a crucial tactic in Shadows. Playbook does want to be caught, so he'll try to disable security tools, oh god, tamper with logs, or even use legitimate programs for malicious purposes.
Speaker 1: Wait, I thought we were talking about evil PowerShell earlier we were.
Speaker 2: Is that what you mean by using legitimate programs for bad stuff? That's a perfect example. Okay, PowerShell is incredibly powerful, right, but in the wrong hands, it can be used to run malicious scripts, download malware, and even steal data.
Speaker 1: So it's like a chef's knife. Yeah, can be used to create a delicious meal or something much less.
Speaker 2: Desirable exactly, And that's why threat hunters need to be familiar with these tools and understand how they can be misused.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm getting a picture of how sneaky this whole thing is. But wouldn't shadow need passwords or log in credentials? He would to really gain control? How does he get his hands on those?
Speaker 2: That's where credential access comes in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Think of it as shatter trying to steal the keys to the kingdom, right. He wants those user names and passwords that unlock all the.
Speaker 1: And I bet he's got a few tricks up his sleeve to do just that.
Speaker 2: Oh he does. Yeah, we're talking brute force attacks okay, where he tries to guess passwords by trying every possible combination.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that take forever?
Speaker 2: It can, which is why attackers often target weak passwords or use sophisticated techniques like dictionary attacks, which use lists of commonly used passwords.
Speaker 1: So this is why we're always told to use strong, unique passwords.
Speaker 2: Yeah makes sense, now, it's absolutely crucial. Yeah, and don't forget about fishing.
Speaker 1: Oh right.
Speaker 2: Shadow might try to trick employees into giving away their credentials okay, through fake login pages or malicious emails.
Speaker 1: Okay, fishing again. This guy loves to fish, he does. Yeah, but what if those passwords are encrypted or protected? Somehow can he still get them?
Speaker 2: He might try to use keyloggers what are those which record every keystroke you make?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow, including passwords. Or he might attempt to dump passwords from memory, essentially capturing them while they're being used.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's some next level hacking. It's like he's reading minds.
Speaker 2: It is pretty sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's say Shadow has managed to gain access, escalate his privileges, and even snag some credentials. Okay, what does he do with all that power?
Speaker 2: He moves into the discovery phase, which is all about mapping out the network okay, identifying valuable assets and figuring out his next move.
Speaker 1: So he's like a burglar who's finally broken into the vault. Yes, but now needs to figure out which jewels are the most valuable.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. Yeah, he's going to use network scanning tools to see what systems are connected, what software they're running, and what vulnerabilities he can exploit.
Speaker 1: So he's essentially creating a treasure map of Digitech's network exactly highlighting all the valuable targets.
Speaker 2: He might also try to gather system configuration information, look for sensitive files, and even map out the network topology to see how everything is connected.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Shadow's done his reco established persistence, escalated his privileges, and now he's got a map of all the juicy targets. Yes, what's next.
Speaker 2: That's where lateral movement comes in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Shadow is rarely content to stay in one place. He wants to move around the network, expand his access and reach those high value targets he identified during discovery.
Speaker 1: So he's like a spider weaving his web across the entire network.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. Yeah, he's going to use a variety of techniques to move laterally.
Speaker 1: Hold on, what exactly does lateral movement mean? Is he physically moving around?
Speaker 2: Not physically, No, it's about hopping from one system to another, usually by exploiting vulnerabilities or using stolen credentials. Think of it like this. He starts in the mail room, then uses someone's stolen login to access the accounting department. Then it hops over to the research lab.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, but wouldn't those systems be protected? How can he just jump from one.
Speaker 2: To the That's where exploits and vulnerabilities come in.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: Software often has flaws, and attackers like Shadow are constantly looking for ways to exploit those weaknesses.
Speaker 1: So it's like finding a loose brick in a wall, exact, and using it to pry your way in.
Speaker 2: And one Shadow gains access to one system, he can use that as a launching point to attack others. Right, it's a chain reaction. Oh wow, and it can be very difficult to contain.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is getting intensity. Yeah, so Shadows moving laterally, spreading his reach across the network. What's he aiming for? What's the ultimate goal of all this?
Speaker 2: The ultimate goal is often collection, where Shadow gathers the data he wants to steal. Right, this could be anything from customer information to financial records to intellectual property.
Speaker 1: So he's finally going for the crown Jewels.
Speaker 2: Exact, the real treasure, and he's going to use a variety of techniques to get his hands.
Speaker 1: On it, Like, what, how does he actually steal the data?
Speaker 2: He might try to access sensitive files directly, copy them to an external location, or even compress and encrypt the data to make it easier to xfiltrate.
Speaker 1: Xfiltree sounds fancy. What does that mean.
Speaker 2: It's just a fancy word for getting the data out. Okay, think of it like a digital heist. Right, Shadows got the goods Now he needs to sneak them out of the building.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he's got to find a way to smuggle the data out without getting caught. Right, how does he do that?
Speaker 2: He might use a variety of channels, from hidden network connections to seemingly innocent email attachments. Right. He might even hide the data within other files like images or videos. Oh wow, a technique called stiganography.
Speaker 1: Stiganography, I'm adding that to my list of cool cybersecurity terms.
Speaker 2: A good one.
Speaker 1: But wouldn't our security systems notice all this suspicious activity?
Speaker 2: They might? Yeah, but Shadow is a master of command and control, a tactic that allows him to remotely control his compum systems and evade detection.
Speaker 1: So he's like a puppet master pulling.
Speaker 2: The strings from afar exactly. He establishes a secret communication channel back to his own systems, allowing him to send commands, receive data, and even update his malware without ever setting foot inside Digitex network.
Speaker 1: This is getting seriously scary, it can be. So he's got the data, he's controlling everything remotely, what's left for him to do well?
Speaker 2: The final act in Shadows playbook is exfiltration, the grand finale where he makes his escape with the stolen data.
Speaker 1: It's like the getaway scene in a heist movie, alarms blaring, tires screeching, except it's all happening in the digital world.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and it's the stage where threat hunters are most vigilant. We're looking for any signs of large data transfers, unusual network activity, or suspicious email attachments leaving the network.
Speaker 1: So it's like guarding all the exits, watching for anyone trying to sneak out with a bag.
Speaker 2: Full of loot, exactly, and if we can catch Shadow in the act of exfiltrating the data, we might be able to stop him before he gets away with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, this has been a wild ride. It has I feel like I've learned so much about how attackers operate and what threat hunters do to catch them. Good, But what happens if despite all our best efforts, Shadow gets away with the data? What then?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely disheartening to think that even with all those layers of defense, an attacker could still succeed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if Shadow does manage to escape with Digitech's data, what's the fallout?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happens then? What's the impact on Digitech?
Speaker 2: Well that's where the impact tactic comes into play. It's not just about the theft itself, but the potential consequences. Think of it like assessing the damage after a storm.
Speaker 1: So it's like a damage control phase, figuring out what's been lost, what's been compromised, and how bad the situation really is.
Speaker 2: We need to understand the scope of the breach. What kind of data was stolen? Was it customer information, financial records, trade secrets. The impacts will vary greatly depending on the nature of the data, and.
Speaker 1: I imagine the consequences for Digitech could be pretty severe.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they could face legal repercussions, regulatory fines, reputational damage, and even financial losses.
Speaker 1: It can be a pr nightmare for a company.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is really eye opening it is it makes you think twice about every email you open or every link you click.
Speaker 2: It's a good reminder that cybersecurity is everyone's responsibility. Yeah, for sure, we all play a role in protecting ourselves and the organizations we work with.
Speaker 1: So what can Digitech do to recover from this attack? Right? Is it even possible to bounce back after something like this?
Speaker 2: It's definitely challenging, but recovery is possible, Okay. It starts with a thorough investigation to understand exactly what happened, how Shadow got in, and what systems were affected.
Speaker 1: So that a post mortem trying to piece together the clues right and learn from the mistakes.
Speaker 2: And from there, Digitech needs to take steps to contain the damage, patch vulnerabilities, strengthen their defenses, and restore any lost or compromised data.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a long and complicated process.
Speaker 2: It can be, but it's essential for regaining trust, rebuilding their security posture, and preventing future attacks.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm curious about something. Our source material focuses on Windows systems, but what about other environments?
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 1: What unique challenges might threat hunters face in cloud environments or with mobile devices.
Speaker 2: Cloud environments introduce a whole new set of complexities. The dynamic nature of the cloud, with its shared resources and constantly changing infrastructure, makes it more challenging to establish baselines and identify anomalies.
Speaker 1: So it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack exactly. It's constantly shifting shape.
Speaker 2: And size, and you've got multiple tenants sharing the same infrastructure. So separating legitimate activity from malicious activity it can be tricky, yeah, for sure. And mobile devices they definitely present unique challenges.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: Their portability and diverse operating systems make them a prime target for attackers. Plus, people are constantly downloading apps and connecting to public Wi Fi networks, which can expose them to all sorts of threats.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like thread hunting in these environments require specialized tools and expertise.
Speaker 2: It certainly does, and it's an area where we're seeing a lot of innovation and development.
Speaker 1: Well, this has been a fascinating deep dive into the world of thread hunting. It has been We've covered a lot of ground, from the initial reconnaissance phase all the way to the potential impact of a successful attack. Yeah, I have to say I'm feeling a lot more informed. Yeah, but also a little bit more paranoid.
Speaker 2: A healthy dose of paranoia can be a good thing in cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: It encourages us to be vigilant, question what we see online and take steps to protect ourselves.
Speaker 1: So what's the one key takeaway you want our listeners to remember about threat hunting.
Speaker 2: Threat hunting is not just for security professionals. It's a mindset, a way of thinking about cybersecurity proactively. It's about being curious, asking questions and looking for those subtle clues that might indicate something is a miss.
Speaker 1: It's like being a digital detective constantly on the lookout for suspicious activity exactly.
Speaker 2: And the more we understand about attacker tactics and techniques, the better equipped will be to defend ourselves and our organizations.
Speaker 1: Well said, I think we've successfully navigated this deep dive into threat hunting. We have, so if our listeners are interested in learning more, where should they go?
Speaker 2: I mitr o E ATTNCK framework is a great place to start.
Speaker 1: It's a free, awesome.
Speaker 2: Publicly available knowledge base of adversary tactics and techniques. There are also lots of informative blogs, podcasts, and online courses dedicated to threat hunting.
Speaker 1: And don't forget about the power of community. Yes, there are tons of online forums and groups where you can connect with other security professionals. Yeah, share knowledge and learn from each other's experiences.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the cybersecurity community is incredibly collaborative and supportive. Awesome, we're all in this together.
Speaker 1: Well, on that note, i think it's time to wrap up this deep dive into threat hunting playbooks for Miter tactics. It is Thanks for joining us and we'll see you next time.