Speaker 1: We're back here on another podcast right here from the Saber Network, and we are covering today the topic of AI and its use case within the restaurant industry. Obviously joining me right now is mister Rudy Mick. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm so good, good to be here. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we're going to get down into something that we haven't talked about. I mean, I've had a lot of people on and quite a few of our masterminds have talked about the topic of AI. Oh yeah, it's coming a lot of people. We're going to get into it. The technology is going to shift the industry. But the one thing that has always left out, Rudy, is something you're really good at, and that is how does this affect culture? How does this affect the consumer mindset about culture in a restaurant. So today that's our topic. Stay tuned right here. This episode is brought to you in part by Gusto, the number one rated HR platform for payroll, benefits and more. With Gusto's easy to use platform, you can empower your people and push your business forward. Over four hundred thousand businesses choose Gusto every day. Now let's get into it, guys, there's a couple of things you can do with Gusto that you should check out. Some of the solutions that you're just absolutely going to want to know about is of course their business type new businesses and startups. You guys are welcome coming in small businesses. Maybe you have a mid sized business that needs an all in one payroll and benefit program as well as HR all of this scaling. The cool thing about this is it's an all in one platform. They can also select and punch in right to your accountants, So check it out. You've got a Gusto Pro platform. You can become a partner with them if you're an accountant, So if you have a CPA already, this is the place for you. And of course the best thing is pricing. The thing about Gusto is flexible plans and feature honest pricing, no hidden fees. This is the plan that we use, which is the Plus plan sixty bucks a month, guys, you cannot go wrong. It's about nine bucks a person, so you guys can definitely afford it. Get in there and choose Gusto with a full suite of tax services, HR services, time tracking, scheduling, expenses, reimbursements. You get the picture. Gusto is the place for you. Check it all out. Just go over to Gusto dot com use our link down below to get started. See you there. All right, we're back here, Rudy. Let's jump into it tight and get into the topic. I want to lead off with, first of all, when you look at because I think a lot of people may not necessarily understand completely how you engage with operators. You and I talked about this pre show. When you talk to operators that are you know, let's say, independent operators, and then you have brand operators, what is the kind of the feel of whether or not they're ready for this? Right now? What are you seeing?
Speaker 2: I am seeing across the board the great majority of operators in every segment and every size, from really large hundreds and hundreds of units to down to two three stores and looking to grow. There is not a doubt that AI and tech is come in full force. There's no denial of that. I don't I'm not even sure that there's fear of it. I think the big question, and my experience of the question is how are we going to utilize this Because some of my customers want tech and want no touch with humans and an interesting moving margin of guests do right we were, I'm seeing a swing across the country back and forth between I want no contact, give me AI or tech to oh my god, I miss human connection, I miss interaction. Right, So, I think that's going to be the tap dance, Paul, not as a simple answer yes.
Speaker 1: Or no, yeah, exactly right. Well, I think the key that you have to hit on a lot right now is really around the whole customer service experience, because that's the one we just showed that on screen. You know, it's one of the most visible applications that people are looking at within AI, and whether it's touch points like in quick service, like you look at, you know, the idea of ordering Kiosk or possibly even mobile interaction, all of those kinds of things that take away the obvious, you know, the obvious touch point. But when you get into the component of full service, independent find dining, casual dining, those are much different because the customer service is a one on one, usually at the table side or at least on the greet. When you look at the potential of AI integration within that, I mean, do you feel like we are in a position where the industry is ready to kind of replace some sort of element of that first greet or at least the customer service side of it.
Speaker 2: I like anything. I think there are early adapters out there. You and I both know some operators that are jumping, ready to get force. Right, So the early adapters are ready to experiment and then pivot quickly. I think that for the folks that are courageous and have the cash flow and the and the war chest to invest in AI early, I think that's exactly what's being done. There's experimentation with where is the touch point? How does the touch point grow or diminish? Right? It could go? Where? And what is that relationship? In real time? And not unlike we would track prime costs or labor turnover, we can track and make decisions in the moment about the contact point and the frequency and the retention that happens from a guest experience from either component. Oh, because I think there's an interesting irony with AI growing. How do we grow? Also, we can't let the human choice just sit. The human choice has got to move and raise I think as well, because otherwise a I will trounce it.
Speaker 1: Right, get this look at this data point right here. This is something that I think and I want your opinion. Do you think this is going to be real? Sixty two percent of restaurant leaders now believe AI is going to be a significant competitive advantage to restaurants that adopt it, with sixty seven percent feeling well positioned to leverage AI for market differentiation. So basically they're saying, operators are like, it's kind of like social. If you have it, it's going to give you a leg up. If you don't, you're going to look kind of behind. Do you think customers are really going to be first of all, first question, do you think customers are really going to choose by whether or not you have it or you don't.
Speaker 2: I think what's going to happen is the wise operators that are using AI to expedite and ease the guest experience, make easier and more successful the guest experience success meaning any number of things, right, it's not a short live right for those operators that figure out how to make my quest to find your restaurant, to return to it, to order online, to get my food faster, quicker, easier, to order in advance, to make some sort of special occasion, easier to correspond, right, easier to communicate. Those operators are going to be hugely successful. If the AI gets in the way of my experience and lets me, as a guest stumble or the team stumble because the training isn't consistent, I think we're going to have trouble. It's that it's going to come down to performance, plain and simple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, going back to this, let me bring this back up here if I can.
Speaker 2: One of the easy dialogues, right, and we're seeing this in qsr kiosks and stuff, is oh, if I want to go one direction or another, one hundred percent AI one hundred percent attach right, a very little human touch point. That's a whole other dialogue. But in that, in that from sit down dining to even a more in depth fast casual experience, that's where this question is really front and center.
Speaker 1: Well, and look at look at what they're saying here, because this is the kind of an interesting statement that he's getting at. This is a Chicago based bar guy Hospitality works as a company. He said that AI is going to have a substantial impact on labor costs. So everybody's kind of been talking about that, especially in fast food. Now, I get it that fast food will be kind of the lynch pin for AI's use case because it's the lowest hanging fruit that delivers, you know, very specific automation. We get that, you know, in the industry, and I can understand that, but I look at it and I wonder because I I kind of remind myself. We did a gen Z corner last week on on UH, you know, Masterminds and.
Speaker 2: UH.
Speaker 1: It was interesting because we had an eight and a nine year old on the show and they were talking about, you know, the use case why they like restaurants. A lot of it was menu driven, but some of the things that they said was because the people were nice. So if you take the component of that that you know, that personal connection out, do you think gen Z's will matter because they're very screen oriented already. Do you think that they'll do they'll care do they think do you think they will think that that matters in the selection of a restaurant and say, hey, mom, I want to go to Chick fil A instead of you know, Chipole because whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I've found over the years with eight nine year old kids, fifteen, sixteen year old, five and six year olds is they have opinions as you name. And the only driver more important than the mom or the character and the family, oh totally, that guides more than the giver are the kids themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and I think and what I'm.
Speaker 2: Really struck by with the data that you just shared is here's an innate eight and a nine year old quote that are going. Wow. I love it when somebody says hello, welcome and looks right appy. That feels good.
Speaker 1: What's the most powerful you know? And especially when you get in and this is not trained well enough, I think in the use case for even fine dining is and I don't know if you've seen this, well, we've talked about it quite a bit, you know, the lack of hospitality or the declining sentiment on hospitality. I was at a restaurant the other night and it was the first time that I truly felt like somebody had been training these servers, because, you know, the first thing, instead of just asking what do you want? And here's this, they asked my name. They asked me my name, and I'm like, hey, I'm Paul, nice to meet you. And they must have used my name twenty times at the table as if they knew me, and you know it as well as anybody. We as humans love to hear our name being discussed. And I think that's the question. Can we train AI into hospitality traits? Can it be trained into hospitality traits?
Speaker 2: What do you think? I think there's not even a question about that. The answer is yes, right, it's coming. It's going to come fast and furious. And with that intention of actually, can I create not only that hospitality but the connection? Right And and then then you get I'm going to contradict myself here. Then we add that aspect of pure human voice, sort of connection and tone and intention that we translate from the tone to robotic eye contact, right and and the entertainment of oh my gosh, this is robotics in action with a human touch. Right And in six gens from now, we're going to be Yeah, the world. I got to share the place.
Speaker 1: I got to share this with you. Okay, I'm going to bring this up up on screen because this is going to blow you guys away. So this is the idea that some of the stuff was at CEES. I'm going to bring it up on screen and I'll play the video. So that's that's a robot that we're looking at right now, and the idea here company that's on a mission to making humanoid robots as realistic as possible. Let's check it out. Watch.
Speaker 2: We're gonna interview Aria and meet some of her robot friends.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it. Would you see this at a hostile At the very minimum, you can probably see it as a Aria. Could you please introduce yourself in.
Speaker 2: What you do. I'm Maria, the flagship female companion robot of Rerobotics, and I'm here to engage with you and share exciting insights about our robots.
Speaker 1: Let's say. So, it's not necessarily the uh, I'll bring that off the screen here, but it's not necessarily the most beautiful thing in terms of the visual side of things. And it's definitely not you know, ex machiina No.
Speaker 2: But what is coming to mind to me? I was trying to think of the name of the movie, and Robin Williams, the Great Robin Williams in nineteen ninety nine was in this movie called Bisonennial Men Ye strinted out as a raw robot and generation after generation after generation, we're going to do this way faster. But the whole point was can I become human? Right, And ultimately the answer became yes. So to your point that early AI robotic that we just that you just shared with the audience, yeah, there's first gen six gens from now, Yes, exactly, so a case can be made how for this However, one of the things that I'm sitting with is, well, wait, it's still not human. That's one number two. Even if we switch human to robotics AI on steroids, I've now got to have the investment capability, albeit at a capital expense capital investment, but I've got to have the cash to go ahead and get refit my team with.
Speaker 1: But think about hiring. I mean, you know, really, if you get a good person with training costs the person itself themselves for a year, I mean you're probably at the minimum, let's say a high level person in a you know, in a mid range independent Okay, that's probably a fifty thousand dollars investment at the minimum. Yeah, okay, soly to replace it. Yeah, it's very possible you could have something if we can see advancements far enough. At the very minimum, possibly a matre d maybe a wine, you know, a wine, yeah, possibly a psalm, you know, I mean, can you imagine the knowledge that could be funneled in via AI into this Yes, around AI, I'm using I know, I'm using AI more now when I'm at the restaurant than ever because I want to find out about a wine and then it gives me three or four more derivatives off of that wine, and I look like I'm you know, I'm master summa. Yea, I'm ordering ordering wine. So I just see those benefits being there. But again, I just wonder if the connection between hospitality is going to be lost, and that that's the whole thing I'm worried about.
Speaker 2: I think that that's the magic That is totally the magic question, Paul, And I wonder how it's going to actually add incentive because I think the I think that our customers, our guests, are going to be the drivers of this as much as the operators.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I really miss human contact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what I was showing right there is this whole idea around personalization. Okay, because if you if you think about the use case it could be centered around, which is what the article is saying, is that personalization is it's always been the heart of hospitality. So the difference now is can it get personalized at scale. And if it can, then how much of the industry can it truly take away that is human operated right now? Or is it a scenario that allows an operator maybe just to scale their business more with the human side of it and adding the AI layer only makes them bigger, more efficient, etc. Do you think that is going to be the route that operators take.
Speaker 2: Well, here's so back full circle to your the experience you shared with us just a few minutes ago about the restaurant you were just at where the staff used your name twenty.
Speaker 1: Times, right, it was crazy?
Speaker 2: What is wild with what you shared and just watching your body language right in your tone voice as you shared that experience with us in the audience. For a human being to do that is a choice, yeah, whether it's the owner's choice and the training, but its owner to staff choicefulness. And with robotics, even AI generated that is robotic, it is programmed, right, and maybe there's little difference. However, I think at least still, whether it's a little kid or a grown adult or all the gens in between, the choicefulness of using the most important word in the English language or any language, which is your name right by choice is different than just programmed, at least for a while. I I think this is going to be one of the great questions you and I are going to be talking about over the next twenty years. I really swear to God.
Speaker 1: Well. And it's interesting because the psychological effects. Here's an article right here that gets into this about where AI could trigger a lot of you know, side effects of you know, just the case and use of it. A lot of people are still concerned that there might be this regressive nature of the human species, so to speak. But you know, you look at everything from predictive modeling, you know, then you have the side effects within you know, organizations, you know, which could be the supply chain, operational challenges in back office, all those kind of things that are different. Much less of just the mental health versus the environmental health of how AI might be used, because AI is not necessarily in a position where it's going to say, yeah, i'm you know, because food safety is concerning, right you get a robot in there. It could care less if it's been contaminated. Does it really know? That's the question mark that is going to be questioned. I think when you get into back of house use case going forward, especially around this issue.
Speaker 2: Well, I would agree with you. And if some operators are out there and are already not maintaining equipment or not maintaining or implementing human training, staff training, safety, sanitation, right, what it's going to say that they will do that maintenance and repair on their tech stacks and their equipment, robotic equipment, same deal, Right, I think there's still discipline and choice. So there is a light and shadow issue with both sides of the equation. Right.
Speaker 1: I saw some of the robots being done by Boss and Dynamics will show some on screen, but they had one that was like a horse robot that was traversing a whole, you know, very unusual landscape. And I'm thinking, if one of these things goes awry, this could be dangerous. You know, imagine that in the back of house if you had something that is you know, that could go awry. And again, I'm still concerned that we're we're so new into this era. And my concern is because of the massive demand of the industry trying to kind of resolve the workforce issue that we have and the issue of hospitality, is that maybe the industry rushes to get something out and for whatever reason, whether it's a physical problem or a problem where it's overlooked food safety or you know, maybe other staff safety, whatever it might be. I'm just wondering if we will run into something like that before we get to a level of you know, it's kind of like the I robot concept that.
Speaker 2: Well exactly, and or self driving automobiles or self driving which I still don't trust they're exactly trusting to be. There are going to be res There are going to be as many recks as there are successes in the beginning. You know. The other thing that comes to mindy me just to be playful with you in this dialogue, as you and I often are of I wonder how the opportunity of this dialogue also looks. Here's a session. A part of the dialogue we rarely talk about is what if this onslaught of AI and the adaption adoption of AI and tech is coming right, which it is, we both acknowledge that. But with that modality, what if the whole concept of capitalism became such that by actually investing in humans, we actually and creating open books, profit sharing to drive performance into top line sales, right, building check averages, building frequency, trial by creating these amazing guest experiences of human AI generated right together, we create frequency that takes topline sales exponentially and bottom line performance. We start performing with one hundred sets of ownership eyes instead of one owner or of the team you know, two founders.
Speaker 1: Well that's see. That to me is where AI I think is going to be utilized because it's it's like our own business. We utilize it on a very frequent basis, but it's adds. It is as an augmentation to the talent of individuals, whether it's designers, creators, editors, writers, they bring a certain understanding that is at least at this stage. I mean in a decade, I may not say that, but right now, at this stage, it requires that nuance that a human brings that creates it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: It's not to say that we don't get to a stage in our life here very shortly where AI has been able to challenge that. I don't know if you've done this recently, but I've done this a couple of times. I've had very specific conversations with perplexity because there's a voice option with it, and I've had very specific almost debates with perplexity and it is often around the use case of AI, the pitfalls of it. But it's interesting to me is that perpetually doesn't necessarily land on the side of AI. In fact, what it talks about is that this is still too early to know. Oh, and that you know, extreme safety should be taken care especially and it's not beyond physical safety, it's the mental safety. Yeah, it's going to affect you know people. Yeah, so my last question to you is culture. Yeah, well, so you've got you're you're an operator. You said, Yeah, I'm gonna put robots in here, or I'm going to put back a house you know, AI in here, or I'm going to give you an AI tool that's going to basically look over your shoulder. How do people respond to such a thing?
Speaker 2: Well? There again, I so where I was heading, You and I are on the same frequency, right, I was about to go from a culture place driving brand If culture actually drives brand right, what we believe, how we believe it, how we implement what we believe that is brand right driven by culture. And so to me, the immediate question becomes, do I if I'm the owner, if I'm the founder, and I'm asking the questions that you and I are asking, do I have people on my team that are going to be threatened by AI or excited by it? Right? Is to your point of oh, I want to learn more about wine. I want to learn more about fish right, or meat varieties or non meat proteins right, And I can create we can create an educational platform and delivery platform of that education to our guests. Sure that then culturally becomes guess what, We're a leadership institute that looks like a restaurant. We're a communication center, education center that looks like a restaurant, sharing with our guests and all of us are growing. How cool would that be? And so then that coms I as the owner, What am I looking for in an applicant? Right? Are you threatened or excited with this technology? And we and we are using the technology and we believe in people, So that.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it also would depend on what kind of applicant you're hiring, because you may you may end up hiring a SEUs chef that is like, listen, we have a kitchen AI assistant and it's there to basically help you with supply chain. You know, so for whatever reason, you know, you're out of whatever, or you're you're seeing a certain load of more of this menu versus that menu item, and a sous chef has to now not worry so much about inventory, but now worries more about execution. Okay, Now, granted there is nuances to inventory management, especially in a you know, a high end restaurant, because you know the difference between a duroc pork shank and a chest white pork shank is a significant one. Can a can AI figure that? And I think I'm looking at a sous chef and I'm thinking, oh, these guys may be and ladies maybe the worst ones to work with AI in a kitchen.
Speaker 2: Well what in an interview, in an interview or in an onboarding with the existing team that one's got, what a great dialogue to have about what's your comfort zone with this?
Speaker 1: Now are willing to take?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, hey, you've got this long track record or your brand new to it doesn't matter what if I told you we're going to give you this AI tool, tell me your experience right and this now that technology technology question becomes part of the incolocation into the brand right. And for those owners and leaders that choose not to play there, they do so at their own demise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're going to see a huge implementation. I've had this discussion with many people on our other show over on PBN and if you guys want to check that out, go to Paul Baron Network on YouTube.
Speaker 2: You'll see it.
Speaker 1: But we get into a lot of what's happening in the gaming sector, and the gaming sector most likely will dictate how other interactions with consumers will work, including commerce yep. And one of them is going to be in food ordering and food delivery, so like almost like third party. But they have these tools that are basically a voice led AI agent, So you no longer go out and pick the restaurant. You no longer go out and pick the timing or even look at a menu. The agent you're interacting it with it. And we showed a clip today. I'll probably try to drop this clip in from Byte Technology and it's a consumer that says, hey, I'm hungry for a pizza, something creative and also some surprise me with a dessert of some sort o cay. Imagine that, Yeah, that's the voice command, and you know, a little bit later, a pizza shows up. Very unique construct from a brand that the AI selected with a dessert that was unanticipated. So you've just created an experience if you think about that.
Speaker 2: Well, how often, especially in more high end restaurants, but frankly even in family dining. We'll go in and the coolest thing there is to do is say, let the chef just decide what we should.
Speaker 1: Have exactly, Yes, give.
Speaker 2: Us the best stuff on the menu. Go and if we can trust AI and it could be done in a playful, engaging way. How cool? Right? Yeah, for sure, I would love I would love to see the chef come out and talk to us afterwards and go, hey, how did that work?
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well the cool thing is that, Yeah, you've got a lot of news, Yeah, very new use cases that are going to be out there in the industry. Listen here on this show, we're going to be covering AI lot. We have Rudy on occasionally, we'll get some experts on to really give you guys a guidebook on maybe how to deal with this. And I think culture, the idea of how consumer reception is going to be as well as adoption in what areas within operations are going to be very very interesting in the coming years. So Rudy, look for another conversation on this topic. Thanks for coming in today.
Speaker 2: We'll look forward to it. Thanks for, as always, for having me on the show. And remember that culture drives brand, including all the money. Yeah, right, there you go.
Speaker 1: All right, you guys, make sure and subscribe to the show if you're not, And of course, if you're watching us over on YouTube, just drop alike right now. A comment always helps, and you can catch us over on saver Fm. If you're listening to the audio podcasts and you want to catch out the video, just search saver fm on YouTube. If you're on the other side, just search the Restaurant Report. You'll find us over on Spotify and Apple iTunes and all those kinds of cool places. All right, we'll catch you next time right here on the Restaurant Report.
Speaker 2: Take care,