Speaker 1: I hate Poul. I just want you to know that I got one of your kids here, I is saying a kidnapping thing. But if you're in a mood to give me a million dollars. Yeah, that's cool. This should not be interpreted by federal agents as a threat. Once again, no threat, But we'll take.
Speaker 2: The dough four finger discounted. Welcome to four finger Discounts, where this week we are going to be celebrating Mother's Day on a non Mother's Day. I am dan over here to review no Letter Blues, not Better Blues, Letter Blues.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't believe how many times he's made that mistake.
Speaker 2: My notes literally saying no better blues. You realize that's a computer and you can fix it, Hi, can you? Danus?
Speaker 3: Screen has got like liquid paper stills all over this by the way, guy, And yeah, this episode is called no Letter Blues, or should I say do better dudes?
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah? I like this one. Yeah I did not think.
Speaker 3: But essentially this is about Adobe dudes and the women who tolerate them and really should expect better and who would be justified in maybe running off with other men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I see what you're saying. I can completely justified in thinking that. I just thought, with Season twenty of The Simpsons, at least we're getting some sort of a positive message to respect the women and appreciate the women in your lives.
Speaker 3: Yes, even if the men in question have really done nothing to earn it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the thing for me is, I what annoys me so much about this ear of the Simpsons is I say, a time and time again, Homer does things wrong and nobody holds them accountable. Marge is just so apathetic towards their marriage. Now, she just doesn't care. She's just thrown in the towel. She just goes along for the ride, because hey, ho, we're married. It's going to do these things when we at least see Homer acknowledge, Oh I need to be better or I need to do change my ways. At least they're acknowledging that. But again, like you were saying, I guess, like you pointed out, why would I just bother anymore? Why? Why? What's the point?
Speaker 3: And it's all very well and good to say, yeah, I should do better, but there's no examples of it in this I mean, it just seems like the three wives in particular at the core of the story are all just sort of they're doing all the heavy lifting. I mean, I'm thinking particularly of Helen Lovejoy, who wants to get down and yeah, the good Reverend it seems to be not yeah, holding up his end of the bargain, so to speak. And by the end it's like, guess what, I've booked us two tickets on the most romantic train that one's say, why are you going? Why are you doing all this? Yeah, I mean it seems like the Good Reverend has been kind of a slacker.
Speaker 2: I will say, though, as someone who's been married for thirteen years, there were elements of truth in each of these scenarios in a sense of, you know, Homer just sometimes not underappreciates but doesn't really realize how much Marge is doing. Reverend is getting caught up in doing something one of his hobbies hemposed to focusing on his wife and what's most important. I've been guilty of that. I've been guilty of I'm just going to finish this thing first, and it's like, your wife's there, your kids are there, what are you doing this? This isn't important, right, And with a poor Manjeeler, it's just the stress of having small kids in your life, and you forget at times why you got married in the first place. You're at each other, You at each other, you at each other, You're so stressed out, you're so tired. Sometimes you need to take a step back, get away from the kids, and go, oh we were friends, Yeah, we we love each other. We need to get back to that. So I did think that all there is a bring of truth to all these scenarios.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, you're one hundred percent right about that. I just wish it was kind of expressed better, you know what I mean. I mean, all the snipping and snarking between a pool and man jeweler, it kind of rang true, and it kind of felt like, oh, this has got a good layer of honesty to it, and you can feel the truth underneath it, if you know what I mean. It's like, yes, this is a couple that does love each other, but they are faced with a not an untenable situation, but the situation is very, very stressful.
Speaker 2: Two kids is stressful, and I can't imagine eight.
Speaker 3: Indeed, indeed, But I don't know, there just seemed to be a lot of stuff in this that felt I feel like, I'm sort of a broken record when I say this, but the Simpsons wants to be family guy or something along those lines. I mean some of the lines at Homer is saying in this, It's like this is this is not the homie Simpson.
Speaker 2: They knew, Yeah, and it's just not though, it's just not going to be well. I did watch this thinking at times this feels like middle edged men writing an episode apologizing to their wives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or venting their frustrations. It's like, oh God, I had a shit day at home and I'm going to take it out of my during my nine to five. Yeah, I'm going to pour all the all the venom and vitriol that I'm feeling into these characters.
Speaker 2: So what do they do to fixing? So, so Helen is the one who organizes the trip with the plane at the train ride somewhere who it was just pretty much Modus goes and convinces her not to leave him, no real reason why. And Homer gets home and Mark.
Speaker 3: Thinks he thinks that Marge's packing her bags, but she's really just a painting a picture of her mother.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yeah? So was it a case of she just appreciated that he took the kids away, she's she'd have time to do something she wanted to do.
Speaker 3: I guess, although he didn't sort of offer to do that in the first place. I think she was the one who said, go off on this ferry or go to what was it called, we's a lilan.
Speaker 2: Where were the kids by the end, because they were driving home by themselves, that's right. Well, you did see was making a lobster cage. Yeah, you did see that.
Speaker 3: Lisa was trapped inside a busted carousel or something, that's right. Yeah, and Bart was getting beaten up by Pou and Manjula's kids. Yeah, yeah, for being a little slave driver.
Speaker 2: He was, indeed. Yeah, so it was a weak's story. I like what they were trying to say, but you're right they probably could have done it. They needed to have the men, Yeah, because I think that I was just fooled by the story. I guess the men never really did anything to change. They just got home and the wife's like, he's told me not to leave you. Yeah, I've booked us a flight. Oh thanks, I'm now painting my mother.
Speaker 3: It's like yeah, And at at which point his mother's also saying, I know You're not the problem in this relationship.
Speaker 2: It's Patty and Selma. Yeah, what's going on here?
Speaker 3: I mean, and look, I'm no fan of art or media or entertainment. That's kind of like all men bad women always, right, I mean, I think that's just as reductive as anything else. But yeah, these guys they behaved badly and there was no sort of repercussions or consequences results not behave badly, but just were they weren't fullfilling their end of the bargain.
Speaker 2: They don't actually change, do they? Maybe because Moe is the guy who's trying to be the relationship fixer here, right, he's.
Speaker 3: The love and and why I'm not exactly sure. Did they ever explain why he's just I.
Speaker 2: Think when he said take it that he's just a good friend and he saw that his best friends were going to lose their wives, I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What they've done here is they borrowed the core concept from a movie from I think the nineteen forties called A Letter to Three Wives. Oh really, Okay, yeah, I remember seeing this on TV back and that this is back when they show all black and white movies on a TV on a Saturday night. And the plot is essentially three women in this small town get letters from one particular woman that says, I'm running off with one of your husbands, you don't know which, and that gets in thinking about their relationships, like how have I not shown up? Have I not been present? How have I'd maybe done wrong by my man?
Speaker 2: This kind of thing.
Speaker 3: It's a very melodrama and it always struck me as a weird concept though, even when I was a kid, I was like, can't you just tell them?
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: The premise kind of strikes me as faulty from the get go. And also these three characters as well just seen kind of oddly mashed together, Reverend love Joy, Homer, and our pooh.
Speaker 2: Love Joy in particular. We've seen Homer and a poo doo things together, yeah, several times. But yeah, Lovejoy just seems kind of randomly. Yeah, And if you're gonna throw.
Speaker 3: Him into the mix, then at least take the opportunity to explore the relationship that he has with his wife a little more. I don't feel like learned anything more about them other than the Helen was occasionally hot to trot, and you know, the Reverend Tim would rather paint marstaches on his little figure rens down this train set.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's a genuine story just in their relationship, and because we've always seen Helen Lovejoy as the won't somebody please think of the children? Yeah, the town gossip or whatnot. We've seen them at odds over the years, in recent years every characters odds on The Simpsons these Days and in the season twenty one era. But I feel like there's a genuine relationship story that we could tap into that that we haven't tapped into before, where Helen Lovejoy wants more out of their marriage in regards to sex life and just spending time with each other. And you could tap into maybe saying that Lovejoy was so bored of the gossiping and all that aspect of the way she used to behave that he sought refuge elsewhere, refuge and comfort in these trains, because we've seen that he loved these trains in the episode in Marjor We trust and like that he's always been a trained guy, loves his trains in the basement, But why does he do it? And to explain that I did it to get away from you, it sounds horrible on the surface, and that's about to say but why though, and what can we do to fix that? I think that's a story you can really work with.
Speaker 3: You've got to find some way to inject humoran because it doesn't sound right. It sounds very grim. I wrote down about this episode. This is chaotic, and not in a good way. It seems like it's combined, made up of so many different bits and pieces that are just sort of thrown together.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also a clic case of it's like one of the Simpsons writers. I didn't realize it was based on a film, so that makes more sense, right, Yeah, But they founder a concept that they like and they've just simpsonized it essentially no real reason to do so. He who can be the person that finds knows? All these guys just make it Mo. Yeah, everyone likes Mo. Right, Well, what's the what's that? Oh? I don't know mo.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It seems like that's a guiding principle in the writers.
Speaker 2: But when they did that though, that was we know this is stupid, that's the that's the joke for that. Yeah. Here, it's like, oh, of course would they would do this.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's humor in that Mo, who is supposedly the most insensitive and uncharismatic and unlovable person in Springfield, is the one who's sort of pulling the strings and guiding people in the right direction when it comes to love and relations. That's it's not unfunny again, just needs to be executed a little better. I liked Moe in this a whole lot. I mean, just having him as the narrator and stuff and just getting a good dose of Mo throughout the episode.
Speaker 2: That was good fun. I would have liked to have maybe had them confront most and why did you do this? And he goes, I haven't got what you've got yet. I'm going to be lonely for the rest of my life. Would and you don't want to be like me? And I don't want you, guys. I know what it's like to be me, and I don't want you guys, my best friends, to be like me. Yeah. I want you guys to start realizing what you've got because I wish I had it and I'm never going to get it.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the I mean. There were many little bits and pieces you cut out of this episode, and then you sort of front loaded the start with having these guys in various situations, either Homer at the bar is or ah, my marriage sucks, or Moe in church and sort of overhearing Reverend love Joy praying saying why can't I spend more time with my trains? And he goes into the QUICKI Marty's und to get something from Upoo and Apoo was grassing about his marriage or whatever. That's the motivation, and you know, you also have I'm say, just you know, he's walking around the streets lonely.
Speaker 2: He's like, you're seeing.
Speaker 3: Couples going, well, that's never going to be me. Yeah, And he's seeing his friends or his you know, the fellow members of community not appreciating what they have, and then hatching a plot to saying, okay, well, if I can't be happy, at least I'll make you guys happy. Now, maybe that's what they wanted to do with this episode. I don't think they expressed it very well if that was the case.
Speaker 2: No, because I think again, I've watched this episode twice. I'm a big Simpsons fan. I had no idea that there was a film that this was based on, right, I think this is one of those episodes that you need to understand the subject matter. They're basically you don't just sort of get the story and go, oh, it's a mos that person. Ah, yes, yeah, because you watched this and you're like, why is he doing that? Why is she saying this? Ah, because it's because you know that movie that was in the forties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Three Women is not necessarily that well known.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I had no idea. Yeah, and I don't think it's even on the wiki page, is it. I think it might baa.
Speaker 3: But the other thing, I mean, I feel a little hypocritical because we talk so many times about our favorite episode of The Simpsons, and one of the best things that Vintage Simpsons does was is like, hey, it's referring this thing that maybe not a lot of people know about, but if you know, you know, and you get a bit of a kick out of going that's from Vertigo or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The references in this, like I said, a Letter to the Women is not necessarily a household name. And there's also stuff in here where Reverend Lovejoy's like spiritual counselor. I think it is meant to be.
Speaker 2: Being crosby what he's been in episodes before. Yeah, he's been Yeah, remember him, I don't really know he's going to carry guys opening golf and I talk.
Speaker 3: I'm I've seen him once before. But then Louis Armstrong sort of rocks up as well. It's like, I can maybe get these references in the early nineties or something, but in a where are we up to?
Speaker 2: Whether what year are we in twenty one or what year was his released? Twenty ten?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in twenty ten. This kind of feels almost desperately random and influence or a reference.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, it's not the first time he's appear, I guess, so. Yeah, but even still, Yeah, when he first aired, were like, what is his character about? Yeah, it's kind of weird. Yeah, do you remember when he was helping he was helping the vague. I think the reverend like was selling the church or something was happening to the reverend wasn't happy, and this guy came in to sort of help him.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, and I think Yeah, I mean I say the name Ben Crosby, I mean it's gonna sort of ring a bell ever so slightly in a few people's heads, But it just feels kind of sort of weirdly out of date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough, not so much.
Speaker 3: Oh, I sort of know where that is, or I've got a vague idea where that is. Like more sort of frustrated, like why.
Speaker 2: Is this here? I just realized that this wasn't written by a middle aged man trying to apologize to their wives. Is written by a female Stephanie Gillis, who I believe is the wife of al Jean. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Algeane's wife. Yes, So this was written by a woman, which is interesting when you think about it. So this episode here, so they're given the mother's episode to a woman, Stephanie. Obviously he has been rewrites with other male men in the writer's room, but I feel like she should have written more from the women's perspective. We don't really get when the men are away. We don't really see them changing their way or explaining why they're angry at their husbands or anything like that. It's just at the end, it's like, Oh, Tob, we not to leave you. Yeah, how though? What did he say?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I'm just that's it. I'm not going to leave you because mob we do Like you've never seen the man, Jeweler and Moe hang out before. It doesn't make sense that's right, but I guess at least she explains that they were hanging out at the bar. That's right, because that's why he did it was Yeah, so they sort of they bonded there doing the dance condesct, so she she would trust him in that way. That's okay, that makes sense. Why did she was at the party? Yeah? And Mo saw the red or he did he saw the thumb thing. Put your thumb over her mouth because that guy, that bing Crosby guy whatever put and Helen Ladjow was angry on the inside. They never really doved into why she touched his leg She touched his legs and then nothing. That was it.
Speaker 3: It feels like a very mad Libs kind of episode. It's like we're grabbing little bits and pieces and just trying to assemble it into something. Very positive reviews from critics apparently not these ones, well not this one. I mean my first note is actually I thought this episode is delightful. This is what I've said originally my notes. This was delightful, no silliness for the most part, just a positive message of not taking the women in your lives. Your mum's included, for granted, and the great episode to celebrate mother's date. That's what I had as my notes when I first watched it.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought, Yeah, I've got moh he was a true friend and acted in their best interest, even though it doesn't really make sense. I guess if you've just taken each episode in the vacum, at least Moe was acting in his friend's best interest. And I've also got here. I appreciate and a per centric story because I know he's not long for this world. Well, that's true.
Speaker 3: I appreciate Moe. Why you've got him?
Speaker 2: And I was also he had nice seeing a freaky aside of Helen Lovejoy. There's more to her than just gossip. Well true, here's another thing. Well here my notes I've got to tap into. So their lives are missing something or their relationship is missing something. Right, So he seeks as a refuge in the trains because maybe he's just had enough of the gossiping because he's always sort of gone, oh, really, Helen enough of the gossip? Right? But is she feeling the whole her life with the gossip because he's not giving her any attention? Is it like a cash twenty two that makes a bit of sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I guess what I would like to see when you know, she's like, I bought his tickets on this train for him to make a few sort of even just a little overture.
Speaker 2: And oh the train is not the only thing that's going to be moving, or something like we doesn't share? Are you excited? See me? Was that you train? Oh? That's right?
Speaker 3: And it's like, sorry, yeah, okay, I stand corrected. Much like the Reverend Lovejo. Does you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's kind of like we're here. The Simpsons needs more of that style. But there's been several times this review so far we've gone, they really need to do this. Oh shit, they did it. I really wish she focused Oh wait, she did focus on it. Why did Manjeelo mope? But they never hangait? Oh wait?
Speaker 3: Tune into four figure discount for some really inside commentary on the Simpsons four figure discount.
Speaker 2: We pay attention, not gonna lie like you have changed my way of thinking that there was lots to improve on. But as I said my notes, my initial notes were I really enjoyed this. Well, I hate to be I hate to be a Debbie down. My favorite did you have any favorite moments in the episode.
Speaker 3: I did have one or two. Actually, I was almost I'd say this, having just said the words Debbie down, I was like, we should create a new category called non favorite moments, because I certainly had some. But in terms of this, I thought this was such a great burn by our Poo. When they're having their fight in the car, it's like, oh, you're just like that breakfast radio do your own non stop chattered during time. That's like, if you can get away with saying.
Speaker 2: That you take it back to take it back, I take it back, take it back. But it's a pretty solid burd by.
Speaker 3: I like my when he was on the phone to I Poo and you're saying, oh, you've left twenty of your kids here, they're any kidnapping thing, but if you do want to give me a million dollars was good And just one of the line from missus Boom, Yeah, I guess is when she's sort of throwing Patty and Selm we're under the bus I smoked while I was pregnant.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's pretty good, that's what. It's stupid, but it's funny. It's pretty fun. That's what I've got. What do you enjoy, well, if you have taken two of mine already. I just really liked that the burns that people was thrown and Manduel back into each other in the in the car there. I just you're talking about the radio stations with their names. I was just like, it's like the Fitzy and Whipper of India I called Robber and the Weasel. Yeah, yes, the station is called something something the dot. Oh yes, yeah yeah, and what did you say? Sometimes we wished that Dodd in your head wasn't off button damn. But again like the take it back, I take it back because there's been times where you already say something you're like instantly regret it. Yeah, I'm sorry. Here the moment next question you there eating the paste. Trivia time hit me with your first question.
Speaker 3: How much would you pay for a Quickie March CD that has five hundred lullabys on it.
Speaker 2: Ah, that was about five dollars. It was no eight sense. Those things are actually amazing. So you can go on Spotify and ever on Spotify. But we had a couple of cities purchased for us when Elliott was first born, and it was Guns n' Roses. It's called rock a Bye or Nirvana rockabye, and it's just certain classic songs of those of those bands, but in lullaby form. So it's like Doo doo Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do doo, and it's just like it's really sweet to the playground. This is really sweet. Worser every day. It's just really sweet versions of it. And like a c DC ones that the thunderstroke onhe I put on for Alliott the other night, like put him on, put them on. I put like like keep playing on axylophone. It was quite hilarious. Yeah, actually quite good the lullaby versions of classic songs xylophon. I really respect someone who can rock the ship out of a xylophone. And that's great. Do you know what, We're not one of the best bands for lullabye versions of their songs rock bands Nirvana really Yeah, because and it's true because I remember watching and with Dave Grohl once and he goes, the lyrics to our songs don't necessard make sense, but all of our songs it's all about the melodies. And he goes and he literally says in this interviewm like nineteen ninety two, he goes, you can sing all of our versions as like kid form, So like this song in Bloom, he's the one that in lullaby form is absolutely delightful.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, yeah, sweet, Yes, your first question.
Speaker 2: My first question for you is who is the voiceover man who makes a guest cameo in this episode?
Speaker 3: It's Don Paro getting.
Speaker 2: Peaked quite well, Yeah, I think it's Don Parto's actual voice. Medium you're getting into radio, shoulders up, chest out.
Speaker 3: Like a medium quarter pounder meal vanilla shake.
Speaker 2: Everyone who talks on radio has their radio voice. So when I'm just talking, I'm just talking like this. But when I talk on radio, I talk, it's just a little bit more oomph to it. It's just the way it happens, of course. Yeah, so I think radio voiceovers that's never their natural voice. It's their natural voice. Slightly tweaked.
Speaker 3: I wrote this essay recently for our friends at Umbrella Entertainment coming in the drive in Delirium set that's coming out in September. We order through Umbrella Entertainment. But about the golden age of movie trailer narration, because we don't really have it anymore, do we. You don't have the summer in a world guy.
Speaker 2: And we need to and having classic songs slowed down over track.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's what it is now or yeah or bromyeah but yeah. One of the Kings was this guy named Don Lafontaine.
Speaker 2: What a name.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and he looked like a real character, but he sort of looked like he almost looked a bit like the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I watched.
Speaker 3: Some interviews with him on YouTube and he was just talking, yeah, not doing his in a world, but he sort of it's like you said, it was in a world, but dialed down a little bit.
Speaker 2: So you just imagine, like you tell, it's him. Yeah, absolutely the voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just want to hang out with this guy down listen to read the phone book of recite a shopping list to be great. But you're Don Parlo. He's the voice of Saturday Night Live?
Speaker 2: Is he? Yeah? Okay, Tonight's musical guest Wheezer. What does Patrick Stewart say? Salt and Papa? But yeah, that's Don Pardo, Don Pardo? All right, hit me with your next question.
Speaker 3: What is on the logo of O Glums the non beer that served at the party.
Speaker 2: The logo, Yeah that was gonna be true? What is the beer so you've got my question. Yeah, oh, glums, is it a woman? Sad? No, it's a guy on a treadmill. A treadmill. Heka, Well that was my second question. Let's have a little bit. That's all good. What birthday is she celebrating her?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, I don't, I don't eightieth eightieth. I was about to say seventieth, but no, eightieth makes more sense.
Speaker 2: Over the closing.
Speaker 3: Credits, you've got various characters sort of celebrating their mothers for Mother's Day, and Frank has a computer that m O M. What does that m O M stand for?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm some mother is one of those words? It is not, it is not, it is not. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Then it sounds for multi platform optical mainframe.
Speaker 2: Okay, then that's a nice a nice gagger.
Speaker 3: By the way, Can I jump ahead to something. Over the closing credits, they've got a song called I'll Always Love My Mama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good song. It's a good song.
Speaker 3: Do you know the name of the band. The name of the band is the Intruders. What can name is that for a band?
Speaker 2: The Intruders? I like it not this style of music though, that's where the Intruders Welcome to the Big Round. There's sort of like a soul ever. You just imagine she's like doing a bunch of these gentlemen were the Intruders were danced just as good as we walk Respect your Mama. You just imagine that was the Intruders with I'll Always Love My Mama. Wait a minute, getting commit dissonancy. Is there a movie called the Intruders?
Speaker 3: There's a many a movie called the Intruders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I've seen one of them. Was terrifying. Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of them stars a young Millie Bobby Brown, which was just going by Milli Brown.
Speaker 2: She's she's still young, well.
Speaker 3: Man, she's about like twenty three or four now.
Speaker 2: It's still pretty young. She's marriage she started so young, that's true.
Speaker 3: She's married to John bon Joby Junior or Jake bon job I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people don't like her for some reason. Yeah, it's weird, isn't this. She's a pretty good actor.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think if you look at yeah Intruders, yeah, Clive Owen and I.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, Clive, oh my man, is that.
Speaker 3: The one with Milli Brown? Or it might have been a TV series, but it was a TV series called Intruders, and I think that.
Speaker 2: The Intruders Intruders and the Intruders was twenty seventeen. Intruders was when who gets anyway?
Speaker 3: Yeah, intruder but anyway, Yeah, we've sort of My.
Speaker 2: Next question for you is Mandula says, my eyes have more bags than something, and then I think most of that's probably a good one. Ivanus with the reference. Yeah, the Daddeeling Limited. Yeah, good enough for you right there, which is more bags than that?
Speaker 3: What's well, yeah, Jillian is like a train. It's supposedly a train. It's also the name of a movie by Wes Anderson, which is about train.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the so maybe that she means bags like luggage bags. Yes, that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of my favorite was Anderson movies.
Speaker 2: I quite liked the way they handled that bit because she makes this joke and I'm sitting there going, oh, I'm sure that's funny, and that's probably a good one. That's literally it because I didn't get the reference.
Speaker 3: Well, I think when you're making sort of reference on that, you occasionally need to have a carriacter.
Speaker 2: Go. That's probably a good one. Yeah. The thing is, I find though with a poor Man jeweler, and they don't do it for any other characters, or they don't do it as much with other characters, like doing poor manjour. All of their references are Indian. True, they live in America, they love America, but all their references are like so India specific. Yeah, like we make curry jokes and the jokes it's all about. I get that, that's the Indian I get that. But every one of their jokes is based on an Indian parody of some kind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost enough to sort of make your side with the people who are like, you're going a little heavy on the Indian stuff here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can still have a pooh and if Hank doesn't voice it, then so be it. Right, But there was no need to remove a poo from the show. You watch these episodes and it's like a pool is such a beloved character exactly? Yeah. Agree, um, and more questions for me. I have one more. If you want, please hit me with it bit, just not too hard.
Speaker 3: It's your baby. One more time. They are traveling to Weasel Island on a ferry called the Island Queen Island. Queen is missing one letter from its logo. Do you remember which one is it?
Speaker 2: Because it's just an old boat, you mean, yes, I'm gonna say it is the N. It's the E. It's one of the e's and Queen. Okay, so the island Quen Queen. Essentially, there we go. It is now time for stone cut a shot out. Oh my god, my favorite part of the show is it because we get to say Katyg's name. It is Katy JTG, as well as David Stewart, Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach prewittt Shanny Macker, Elliot, j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Reached Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sewan, dev Pete Anderson, Timothy bels And, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, Planned Flood Bellow, Windo Bank, Jack McFadden, Heap will Be, Adria McLeod, March, Eleven Ginger and People, Preston Murray Tala and Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan b James Sheppard, Joe Read and Said, Dave Pretzels mcneally, Gavin Lang, Dami Miller, Charlie Joe, Abigail b Sharpcater and Craig Alti, smash Glosstar. I think you for being Stonecutter supporters here at four finger Discount, genuinely keeping the lights on here.
Speaker 3: Indeed, look, it's great, but I'm saying Katie G's name. It's almost as good hearing all those other names.
Speaker 2: About ninety two percent. Really really close, pretty close, so close, it is very close indeed. All right. So the original aired of this episode was May ninth, twenty ten. Take a stab at It in the Dark twenty ten, May ninth, Top three films at us Boxer. This could be a film from twenty ten, and we'll see how close you are. Another hurt Locker, hurt Locker. We'll see how we go. All right, So May ninth, twenty ten, I'm looking it up right now. The next one film was Iron Man Too.
Speaker 3: Two Okay, actually hurt like I might have come out here before.
Speaker 2: I think it was here before. Yeah, And number two was a Nightmare in Elm Street, which was down from number one. And number three is how to Train Your Drag and still hanging around No one good one toothless night Mare on Alm Street reboot worth watching.
Speaker 3: Or not not really?
Speaker 2: No, I think we might discussed this last episode. I think it was number one last Yeah, Iroman too, though debuting at number one, it was there for a while. I'm assuming, oh guessing as such, I likes IMN three the best, apparently Spider Man two, IMN three.
Speaker 3: I like IMAN three a lot. It's written directed by my man Shane Black.
Speaker 2: I like that a lot.
Speaker 3: Iman two it gets a bad rap, but I like Mickey Rourke and it as Whiplash does some interesting stuff. And it's also got by boys. Sam Rockwell in there as like the the beta Tony Stark and he's doing his Sam Rockwell dance moves. And no, it's pretty rad.
Speaker 2: Do you think IMN was the closest thing we had to sort of like the Batman hyper the late eighties when when I remember when I Men came out, it was like superhero movies are back, and I hadn't felt that way since. Maybe this maybe the Spider Man movies of the early possibly, yeah, other movies that were only a decade before this there went that much earlier. I suppose a decade is a long time. But Spider Man was two thousand, right, two thousand and two, I think two Actually, you're right, yeah, Two X Men was two thousand, Yes, yeah, X Men was pretty big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny. We was, Oh yeah, Superera movies didn't really come in until the twenty first century, and you know all that kind of stuff. It's like, I know, you go aback a couple years before that, and there's Blade and of course they are all the Batman movies throughout the nineties.
Speaker 2: Batman was the superhero of the nineties. As a kid, no one wanted to be Superman. Everyone wanted to be Batman. Correct, Superman would have been a big deal. I'm shureing the seventies and eighties because of the Superman movies Christopher Reef. But by the time the nineties came around, like those movies, they looked old, man, And when you're a kid, when things look old, you don't really appreciate it as much. That's true. And the older I get, the more I appreciate the Superman movies. But when I was watching the Batman movies and I watched the Superman movie, I was like, this looks old. Yeah, yeah, it had been like what twenty years, I think, so, yeah, But what's your favorite superhero franchise? Hmmm, it's a tough one. Would you go the Superman films of the seventies and go by eras like the Batman films of the early nineties, Batman films of the late nineties. The look I kind of like the Dark Knight trilogy. They all seem very it seems like one big cohesive story. It does. Yeah, it feels like you can watch it one and.
Speaker 3: It feels like they sort of stuck around. I know a lot of people think Dark Knight Rises kind of drops the ball.
Speaker 2: I don't think it does.
Speaker 3: I think it kind of. I think it works pretty well.
Speaker 2: I think Bain goes out pretty soft in the end. The way he goes out, I'm like, ah, does all that and that's how he got Okay, that's true. I tend to like, I'm not sure what before she pushed up.
Speaker 3: But like they say, Sam Raimi Spider Man movie, it's like, first one's pretty good, second one is fantastic, third one not so much. It's fine, Yeah, I need to rewatch the third one. What the X Men two and three, Like, are they any good?
Speaker 2: X Men two is fantastic.
Speaker 3: X Men was like almost like a high watermark for superhero movies. I think three is kind of a drag.
Speaker 2: The X Men movies is real sort of topsy turvy because I've got like Days of Future passing there, which is fantastic, But then they're the reboot ones, aren't they sort of? Oh?
Speaker 3: Days of Future Past? I think has got a bit of both.
Speaker 2: Then I said, the same universe, So are they because they're people playing the characters, and I think they've.
Speaker 3: Got have Sir Patrick Stewart and McKellen's best rest of Magneto. And then they've also they've gone back in time and they've got James McAboy and Michael Fassbender playing the same characters.
Speaker 2: I really like Days of the Future Past, but so they sat way in the past. I've never watched those X Men films. They're all over the shop. Yeah yeah, I just I was like, ah, yeah, I've had my X Men film. What else you got? But you're right, you've brought a Blade. But I never saw Blade as a superhero movie. I saw it a vampires. It's more an action movie in a vampire movie. Yeah, I never saw him as a superhero. He is badass film, Yeah, damn mad and so good. Who's the big bad in that film? But the one he's sort of like the one that keeps regenerating. Oh, and he's been in so many things I've seen, but I don't know his name. His name is Donald log like yeah, because he had his own sitcom for a while. Yeah yeah, what was his sitcom called?
Speaker 3: Oh, I've forgotten. But he's an interesting guy. I'm quite unquote friends with him on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Granted for Life? Was your show? Okay? Yeah, I think he's a friend with him on Facebook. Yeah. Yeah, he's a really good writer. Let's review blatant have him on, give it a try and you continue. Sorry, but he will.
Speaker 3: Write these sort of really long stories about various things, and like, wow, you're incredibly talented at this.
Speaker 2: We had a sitcom went for five seasons. It's what Donald. We used to watch it on Fox eight. Yes, two days of one all right, so yeah, but they're the movies that were the movies that were number three, top one, two and three. So we had had a Train of Dragon, not Mare, Num Street the reboot, and Iron Man two. The episode was written by Stephanie A. Gillis and directed by Matthewness. Stuck and Don Pardo starts himself. The chopboard gag eating my vegetables is not a Mother's Day present. What is the billboard gag?
Speaker 3: The billboard gag is please abduct this child.
Speaker 2: Call Homer.
Speaker 3: You've also got bumble mean man floating through at the very start as well.
Speaker 2: And the cash gag is the family is a model constructed and subsequently destroyed by Nelson Monks channeling he's inner sid.
Speaker 3: Indeed, also time for God to put on his movie nerd hat for a moment. This episode is titled Moe Letter Blues.
Speaker 2: That's a play on.
Speaker 3: The Spike Lee movie No Better Blues from the early nineties starring Denzel Washington and Wesley Snipes.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that's why I kept saying No Better Blues that is. But that's m O, isn't it m O? Apostrophe? Apostrophe? More money, the more better blues, No Better makes it more better. It's a good movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Alright. So the episode kicks off with we're in Springfield's doing a voice over here, and is this how the film plays out? Is?
Speaker 3: I'm sure you must have. It's a forties melodrama. It's gonna have voice over, But there's a lot of sort of shout outs as what I think the family Stephane Gillis is a fan of old movies. Yeah, it's talking about it. It's a it's Freevield, USA town where everyone's.
Speaker 2: Got a story and She's and Moe's in his narration says, there's this, there's this, but everybody comes to Mo's. The movie Castle Blanca that we reference occasionally here and occasionally on the movie Guard with Morlton Davis. We'll cover it on that show one of these days. That's based on a play called Everybody Comes to Rix. Shortly after the beginning of the episode, Moe advertises is Barber stating, and Everybody comes to Moe's, which mirror is the introduction of Ricks Cafe in Castle Blanca. What who said that? The wiki cultural references But you knew it already, so his corect Yes, but I was just yeah, you are one hundred percent correction with that. Yes, So he says that the zip code spells out boobs, which means that the zip code is eight zero zero eighty five, a zip code that, according to the US Postal Service, is not assigned to any existing town.
Speaker 3: Ah, Simpsons, you've done it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, works out. Well. You just imagine when she was wide and it's we've ever come with that gag like boobs speaking. We can use it. It's not a real place. The sinners and skinners. Of course, we have Agnes saying that she wishes that he was dead? Why are we doing this? We do it?
Speaker 3: Why is there this constant undercurrent of just meanness?
Speaker 2: I know she has always been like disappointed by him, but every time, every that's all you've got for her? Now is I wish you were dead? It's like, come on. We had the cut to Mose and then Barfly roteo going on my home is writing writing Barney, and then who's the clown? It's Lenny.
Speaker 3: It's Lenny, is the rodeo clown.
Speaker 2: The camera cuts to most it's get the camera. Family's narrating here, and he knows of everyone's problems because they all come to the bar to vent their frustrations, and especially the married ones. And we see the love joys and pooh.
Speaker 1: Here's the kind of lullaby my sweet mother sang to me.
Speaker 3: Maybe, why do you always change it to Sanskriet ninety three point seven?
Speaker 1: I like her Ajeebrew Baba and big Brahma in the morning, not castice safe from them.
Speaker 2: Many jeeps having a mahatma or man not. My contest is not that jip, it is sex is sacrilege. I hate that channel, But do you have so much in common with them?
Speaker 1: Non stop chapter doing drive time? Dick, take it back.
Speaker 2: I take it back. I really liked that. Yeah, I thought that was I say, relatable, because you know, you just at times you're just you're bickering and it comes to the point where you're just like, why we're bickering. Oh, we're bickering because we're tired. Yes, let's just take take a deep breath and refresh. Marchin sleep cuts to Marge. I like the animation here. It reminded me of like an old school video game where it was sort of like a little bit jittery, and it was cutting to the front of when it was going to various locations, so it was like a point of view shop, but it was turning to the front of the building. We're looking to the front of the Simpsons house and marches out in the tower. It's like hot, damn March. But then the mos annoy that she puts a gown on, and it's just before Mother's Day and the family of watching crusty to his mother Day special. I des drove my buddy to give birth to you, and he give her a break tug dad to take and then we get the commercial here or maybe it's chusty. I can't remember. Someone's in vatorial or something. Yeah, give your mother a break and tell your dad to take you to a weasel island. It's got some kind of amusement park. I love that warning. May not be a music, it's like. It's also voted one of America's ten roundest islands. Yes, Marginals is a good idea. Get all the kids and Homer out of the house so she can finally do something that she's been putting off for a long time, like cleaning the gutters. No, that's what home has been putting off for a long time. And then they watch an old fashioned itching and scratchy cartoon which was a play on what uh and the moon Yeah, the moon yeah, George mel Yes, one of the pioneers of cinema. The rocket in the eye yep. And then you're pretty ingenious those early guys again here, though you're touched on earlier homd just being a joke for no reason. Marge's trying to say something. I forgot what you were saying marchin. Sorry, I wasn't listening to that either. I'm not even listening now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, honey, I wasn't listening and I won't be listening now. It's like, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's not cool. Yeah, I mean it's not even funny.
Speaker 3: We shouldn't be judging our cartoon characters by you know, Uman's standards, or particularly our sort of wife guy slash Simps standards. But as I said before, it was like, this show wants to be family guys. Like that's a Peter greffriend line.
Speaker 2: So I put out a few clips of us ranting about the way Simpsons has changed and evolved in the era of reviewing here today, and some people are commenting saying, it's just a cartoon. It's not that deep, And I'm like, you know what fucking people wouldn't say about season three The Simpsons, it's just a cartoon. Knowing the people writing the show wouldn't say it's just a cartoon. You're not supposed to go, who fucking cares, it's just a cartoon. It's the Simpsons. Simpsons has set a standard. It is not just a fucking cartoon.
Speaker 3: Anything you put out in the world should be you know, have a little thought, never put into it, especially something that's a bit of a name brand like the Simpsons. But yeah, I mean, that's just sorry, miss Gillis, that's that's just not good enough.
Speaker 2: Was I talking?
Speaker 3: I was talking to my friend last night. We were sort of talking about art and entertainment and ethnic It was my good friend Anthony, and talking about hecklers. Some guy just came up with the best heckle ever, I think it was there was some guy from the TV show Red Dwarf. He was trying his handed stand up and someone in the audiens said, I'm sorry, this just isn't good enough. So that just cracked me out. It's not like you.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, this justin't good nough be better. I am disappointed in this. I would like a partial refund, but just a very level headed I'm sorry this does not pass muster. I trusted you.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: But essentially, what we're saying to you, do you want to start? Do you want to start again? Would you like a duo? Would you like a mulligan? Anyway, for some reason asked what Marge meant by something in Homer says, I'm an expert. Women don't mean anything by anything at least, is like that's a bleak way of looking at things. He's like, sure, Lisa, like just dimissing, dismissing women in his life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look we're simps, but we're not simps. I mean, this is just we're not saying this is bad writing because it's like demeaning to women. It is that, but it's also it's just shiit writing. Well, it's just it's dismissive for the sake of dismissed. Like this is the episode where they realize they've been really dismissive to their wife. So you're gonna make them really extra dismissive.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: If you're going to make a Homer and the Other male garriage and there's insensitive, at least do it in a funny way. Yeah, just like Blonde Force Trauma.
Speaker 2: Yep. The dads are all leaving now because they are taking the kids away because they've realized they've got a Also, this strikes me as a weird Why is Reverend going? It's a weird plot. Why is Lovejoy going? That's right, they're not a mother's love Joy yeah, because you got Yeah, she was there when when you got home. Oh that's right. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: But at the same time this strikes me as odd. Okay, take the kids, give mom a little time to yourself.
Speaker 2: It's like, why don't you.
Speaker 3: Take him wife and mother somewhere nice?
Speaker 2: The wives want them gone. Okay, trust me, when you've lived in the house, there's something about having time to yourself to just do anything.
Speaker 3: Believe me, I get it, but I don't know. Mother's Day feels like the kind of thing where it's like, treat your mother, do something nice. A nice bit of R and R should be for any time, not necessarily another's day.
Speaker 2: Well, they actually tackle that in an episode we're going to be reviewing after this the Unified Theory of four Finger Discount for our patrons, we're going to be reviewing King of the Hills episode Peggy's Turtle Song. Yeah, towards the end of season two, which is actually the Mother's Day episode, and in that day tackle of the issue of what's Mother's Day. We're going to spoil you, We're going to do everything for you, and she's like, I'd rather just do what I want to do, and he's like, no, no, No, you're going to do what we've planned for you. And she's like, but it's my day. Why can't I do what I want to do? And that's sort of the argument here. It's like Marge wants to do what she wants to do. Yes, I get the idea of spoiling, buying presents, do and all that things. But sometimes I sometimes I say to Nicola, what do you want to do on Mother's Day? Do you want us to want to go do something nice? Or it's not a case of I've planned something for it. What do you want to do? If you want to go out as a family, do something, we'll do that. If you want to take the kids out so you can have some time home to yourself, do that. If you want me to watch the kids home so you can go out and do something, tell me what you want to do on your day? Sure, sip what a wife? Guy. Homer then puts Maggie in the lobster cage. Then the Squeaky Voice team drops the letter. Got a letter hear from you and it's from Mo.
Speaker 1: It's from more dear friends. I have some news that is doubly said. First off, I am leaving town forever, and by going away present, one of your wives is running off with me. One of our wives is leaving us for.
Speaker 2: More, most leaving town.
Speaker 1: Perhaps I should have told you in person, but there's no easy way to say goodbye forever. So I'll say it the hardest way I can in Mandarin Chinese cyanongen. And now, as our tea kettle starts to ute, I'm gonna take a little break. Boy, this voiceover thing is killing me. Whenever that don Poto gets paid, it ain't.
Speaker 2: And off I make.
Speaker 3: More than you can possibly imagine, and I'm making it right now.
Speaker 2: Where are you? Then tries calling March's. She's like, what's going on? Because get a hold of their wives. Homak gets a hold of Marge, but we're breaking up. We're breaking up, throws the phone in the water, and in a fit of rage, and then, realizing she's still there, tries typing with the harpoon thing. It doesn't work. He then throws the pole and then for no absolutely no reason at all, the guys like we need that pole to dot. It crashes, explodes. It's like the way we're carrying explosives. Well, most most of our cargo was explosive. But then the boats like it got a bit exploded from them, like that was a massive explosion. Did anyone die? Like? What was the point of the explosion? Gag?
Speaker 3: Do you want to do? You want to say it? What are we even doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What are we doing here? What was the what was that? So we go back to park on a stone, don't do and then yeah, what point that explosion? Therefore all but yeah, and then the ship exploded and then they went off like that. There was no need for the explosion. There was no need. It wasn't even funny. It just doesn't make sense. But the crash is fine. Homerd used the pole. They crashed so bit, oh, we're gonna throw an extra have exploited it as well? Can you believe it? No? Shouldn't the kids be dead? Anyway? We're now on the island and there's got the Civil War museum, the prison prison with Sideburns or something, the Prison of Sideburns or something something. Sydeburns is a sight gag there. But Bart locks up a who's kids in the prison and he says he's going to be treating them like not slaves, But I think he's just slaves. Just to keep them wrangled up, like you staying here, I'm going to be in control of you. Lovejoy thinks that it can't possibly be helen because we just started a jigsaw puzzle up to the to the edges. I like the idea of jigsaw puzzle. It reminds me of being a kid on school holidays. We'd always do jigsaws with Now you're a jigsaw, but we haven't known jigsaw for a long time. But the kids now at the age where they can actually start grasping the concept of corner pieces first, make sure like that. For example, Holly, she would always just see that the four prongs and go, well, that's going to fit in here. It's like, no, look in the shape of the prong. She's starting to work that out.
Speaker 3: Ah okay, just good. Jigsaw is not just fun. Also teach spatial res.
Speaker 2: And we started playing scrabble with Elliott as well, and he drew with Nicola nice. Yeah, so I was I was teeming with him and that sort of helping him on the way. But he came up with words like dura and we're like, and I didn't see It's like what about this one? I was like, dura and Nicola goes, she goes, what's a jew? And he goes, isn't it the honestly, he goes, it's the people in the court that say yes or no. I'm like, that's pretty much it.
Speaker 3: WHOA, We're going to be working early at one of these days.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So so he thinks that it can't possibly be Halem because they've just started the jigsaw puzzle. Homer says, we never fight anymore, and that's never a good sign because if they're never fighting anymore, that's just a ticking time I'm waiting to explode. I'm like, you guys fight all the time. We've watched an entire season of Fight.
Speaker 3: Well maybe this is meant to indicate Homer's ignorance or disinterested.
Speaker 2: But I did actually say at the start though, because I think it's what Reverence says here. It means she's checked out, like a Harry A book at the library. Marge, the character has checked out. It feels like she has checked out on everything. Yeah, everyone's checked out, not us.
Speaker 3: We'll keep talking about these episodes.
Speaker 2: So he thinks back. He says, think back, think back, think back. Thinks back too far because he's a baby not that far, you idiot, And it cuts to the party for Marge's mum asked for a drink that helps me forget that he hates he's in laws, but enough to tell him that I love him.
Speaker 3: I need something strong enough to that I forget I hate them, but not so strong that I tell them I love them.
Speaker 2: Yep, he goes a prick in, saying that I thought that was actually not there. Not a bad life. They're a prick to each other. They've always had that antagonistic relationship. He says he's only serving non alcoholic oak glums. So is it eightieth birthday or was at the eighteenth end of it? I've got eightieth after oak lums. Anyway, eightieth must be a birthday. And he invited Flanners to keep him company, and he says it's also to help you listen to the angel on your head and not the four hundred devils on the other side. Then Patty and someone asked Homer to take a photo of them, and they's been really annoying.
Speaker 3: Mye was closed, and they referred to as chunky with the pants of meat balls.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've reference that. It's kind of lost now, but glad with a chance to meet both my kids enjoy those movies. Yeah, So the question here, do you have anyone in your life who was terrible at having their photo taken. I've got an auntie who just cannot take a good photo in the sense of she always talks well saying like she's always going, I don't take a good photo because you're always fucking talking. Just say cheese, spark, just keep your mouth, stop your mouth from moving. Her mouth and every photo her mouth is like this. She talks the entire time.
Speaker 3: I would say it's me. I don't think I'm very photogenic.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't think many people think they're photogenic. The Lovely Jesus, the Lovely Louise is incredibly photogenic. No bad photos of Louise. As much as you pay your isn't it that.
Speaker 3: Not a single scent.
Speaker 2: I do find it quite funny though, when you go on social media and you've got a few friends where it's like like, oh, you've found your side, and every photo they put up is the same face, same tilt, the same sort of movement with their mouth. It's like every photo because they're like, I know I look good in this post. That's the post I'm doing for every.
Speaker 3: Photo, you've got to work your angles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to do a little real about. I mean, I know why they do it. But women in photos when it's full body right, they'll be standing there, you say, all right, say cheese. All of a sudden their legs go like spaghetti like they're leaning forward and looking It's like the legs can't they can't stand it straight. They've got to turn their legs so that the hips look different. Angelina a lean. Yeah. I did it in England, Nicholas with their friends and they will standing against the fence and I was like, all right, ready three to one, and all of a sudden the legs go all the change. I was like, but why why, I know why they do it. I just want it funny. But guys just like whatever, we're just standing here, but all the women are just like, well, that's the patriarchy if we But that's a patriarchy for you. So he refused to take the photo in the air because of it's being horrible to him, and then he sets off the car alarm with his fat feet and he calls them penis curling. She devils. Yeah, March says, why is it whenever we do something that means something to me, you have to ruin it. At the present day, and Bart is putting all of his money into a fortune teller Zultan. Yeah, from big Big, from Big Yes, we come up a commercial. The kids are now getting on a ride which is just randomly run by a criminal, a convict.
Speaker 3: On MS Carney was super annoying.
Speaker 2: You get that scar before you got on by scar, you'll see that part was all right, but then the walks off. We should have mattered to himself, what's the point of any of this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are we even doing here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Poo? Then really because this seems like a nice eyland? So why is it when I get there it's a shittold It's is that the joke I guess.
Speaker 3: I guess it's the joke that's like, oh, come to whe Isisland's fantastic. I'm like, oh, that's not.
Speaker 2: Poo realizes that he once cheated on her. I'm a jula so and then he thinks back again and they arrive at mos. I think this might be the first cricket reference in the history of The Simpsons. Okay, it's interesting because I touched on how I wish they should do a cricket episode. But yeah, they seeing them in their cricket gearl I was like, ah, finally acknowledge that there actually there is another sort friends love cricket, yep, And they got caught in the rain because he wasn't wouldn't use the International short Form rules? Now, when was the first T twenty game? Oh whereasuring unshouted territory for guy two thousand and four. Yeah, so she would never refer to it as the International short form rules. She would say he wouldn't play T twenty rules. But American fans viewers having no idea what that means because they don't play cricket over there. Well they do now, but yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Would they even know what the International short Form rules are?
Speaker 2: Well, explain it explained, saying that it's a shorter version of the game, and that's why we got stuck in the rain. I guess so because she couldn't say because he had to play a test match. It wouldn't make sense anyway. He's playing the world's smallest satar. Yes, because you know she's crying. What is it that she's just winging? I guess he's just sort of ye, And there's no sympathy for her, and then they realized that they've left. I'll back at Mo's when they get home, and she says, what my grandfather saw on your grandfather, I'll never know. Just playing up the arranged marriage because you know they're Indian, but at least we've seen that their marriage legitately was arranged. But then says, I've got the kid here, makes the phone call you're mentioning earlier. It's not a kidnapping. I've got a million. I will take the million. But then Mandula she bales. She says, I'm taking you stay he with bit of the kids. He says, yeah, if only that mark on your head wasn't off button and Homie was there when she got there. That's how we can confirm this actually did happen, because I was there when she arrived. And she thanks him for saving Geat by checking the tag because even she doesn't even know what the name of her children by looking at them. Yes, and then she says, my eyes have more bags than dargellily limited. That's probably a good one. More then shows off the z which he bought for the kids and their wives and the men. The boxing low bow boxing blow boxing or whatever, but they start playing the dancing I've never been good at these dancing games. I've never understood them. Really. No, you watch people at time Zone. Not so much now, but I reckon. Twenty years ago there were some people who took it seriously. Its revolutions, Yeah, and they were really fucking good at this game. Yeah. I've never been good at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never been good at it because my dance moves a very freestyle are they?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, on style, unpredictable. We don't know what this guy's gonna do next. We're going to give them some room, do you know what. Some of the kids are loving it at the moment. My kids what a lot of the video clip for it. It's like that, Oh, and that's the way it is. And the whole thing is just people freestyle dancing. Yeah, the kids love it. They get they're grasping the concept of video clips for songs because today kids now they just listen to songs for Spotify it. They don't really go on YouTube often and watch videos. Let's let's just listen to the song on Spotify. But they're like, oh, so there used to be clips for songs and they still do it for songs. But it's like kids today, I don't think go on to YouTube to access music. They just pull out their phones and devices and look at Spotify. But they're taken away by these videos, like, ah, that's right, there's a story, visual story to go with the audio. Yeah, and I think it makes them like the songs more like, oh, yes, that's song has the cool dance again? Yeah? Which one you were saying about your dad's generation was pretty cool? Yeah, the time that the future is now? Old man Lovejoy then denies that it could be him and the fairy is leaving in ten minutes. They won't there for very long? Were they was it? Was it a day trip? Was it must have been a day trip. I think it was a day trip. Yeah, okay, And he remembers the Simpsons were arguing on the way to church one day and much as that was yesterday, Mama says, yesterday was last month, which means you're being ridiculous because Homer is just a joke. And he says, I'm glad we don't fight, and then you'd have to be talking to each other to fight, and then wait to bitch up the conversation. Helen so they're clearly everyone's everyone's angry at it. But this this sort of scene here surmises the Simpsons in general as a vibe. I think in season twenty one, it just feels like everyone's just a generally petty petty petty is the right word. Yeah, everyone's petty towards each other. Yeap. Then the spiritual advice of the past and arrives says uses the thumb method of holding over her face and over her mouth to see that she's actually she cano about to blow. Then Mora approaches Helen in church, so this is where he comes, and he explains to Helen here that he has the hots for someone's wife, so which is obviously Marge, and she's like, oh, gossip, gossip, gossip, and a pooh overhears the conversation and she he sees that she touched him on the knee, and then that's just forgotten about. It's so happy, a random thing.
Speaker 3: Random.
Speaker 2: I know it's designed to be cause it's the commercial break, so it's designed to make you think, will she leave the Reverend. We come back and they're asking Otto to drive back, but he's had some mistimed. He's miss times some substance abuse or whatever. Yeah, he has a visual the vision of the cars miss yeah, all the all the cars are little monsters, yeah, from the Pixar film Cars. And arrive home and it's a silhouette of Marge. It looks like she's packing up suitcase, but she's not actually doing that. And Peuh says, well, what age are you? And he says thirty nine. He's like, I thought you're sixty five. And it turns out she's actually painting her mum. She and then her mum explains it's actually Patty and someone's fault. You know, they were spoken when I was pregnant. They're the problem, not you home. You've got nothing wrong. It's not you, Homer, it's there. It's like, how am I supposed to warn anything?
Speaker 3: Yeah, as I've written here, what is with these unearned resolutions?
Speaker 2: That's true? Then the reverend's next he says he's got a job of kirk next or whatever. Some reference here about a Pooh so Otto screwing Luann van Houghton that says you are my favorite uncle Otto. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, he's had a little more spice to the mix.
Speaker 2: They get home to the Lovejoy's house, Helen them has booked tickets on a romantic train ride. Now he's very thankful for her because she's booked this train ride. But it's like, what did you what did you do? Yeah? Whatever, Sure he got a stiffy but great, there's now a Pooh's turn and he feels the pain of a thousand squishy headaches, which is a brave freeze, I guess you could say. And Moe has he's in there and he's convinced her to stay.
Speaker 3: This man has come here to convince me to do something I never thought I would do.
Speaker 2: Stay with you. You mean you are not leaving me for him? Don't be ridiculous?
Speaker 3: What am I blind and noseless?
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, I'm right here.
Speaker 2: Believe me. I know again, because you know, everyone's horrible. He's just done a nice thing. Let's be mean to him. Being mean is funny, guys. And it's getting more and more like an old school sick on the sense of it's married with children vibe, where everyone's just mean to each other. I thought the Simpsons has become married with children. Yeah, but in marriag to Children the meanness was the point. Yeah, And they were able to find sort of interesting variations within the whole meanness of the and the whole misery of the situation. Yeah, he was like, nah, this is not your laying guys, you should not be here. I know how we're touching it at the start, how we're all like they should have had Mo explain why he did the letter. We actually kind of did that at the end because they were in the bar at the end, all three of them, and he explains that he saw what was going on with his friend's marriages and yet to act fast because coming from a man who's got nothing but a blow up doll and even she left me, I shouldn't use helium. He didn't want that to happen to his friends, So at least they kind of explained at the end. But I think it needed to be done at the start. But I guess now because at the start it's good that.
Speaker 3: It's a resolution, but it's just no, it doesn't feel again, n't earn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was the point of it all besides the fact that was a reference anyway, the.
Speaker 3: Voice you need to sort of a hangerzeris.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic work as Mo, But I mean this need to be sort of more empathetic and more sort of emphatic in the way he was like, I ain't got nothing. It was just everything was resolved, but there was no need for it to be resolved. That the men didn't really do anything. That they went out for a day and came home. So and the women realized, you, no, what, I need to start appreciating him more. That's sort of the vibe, isn't it. That's what it sort of feels like. It's like Mo made them realize, Oh, you need to appreciate your husband's more. Okay, Yeah, sure, anyway, and with doing your voice over saying it's Mother's Day, taking my mummy out for a rye rose on fruit up on the site. Yeah, and that's the end of the episode. So I like, what's definitely was trying to do here with this episode. Lots to work on.
Speaker 3: Yes, appreciate your partner.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Times can be tough. Relations Yeah, relationships can be hard. If you are committed, show that commitment, show up, listen, don't ignore listen, start listening, and yeah, and keep listening.
Speaker 2: And if she comes down the stairs with a dressing gown on or the nightgann on like that, go for it. Yes, indeed, man, you can pay mustaches later. What do we learn, Bomber? What'd you learn from the episode, mister Davis? Not a whole lot. I think I didn't learn marriage advice. We're giving them marriage advice like Simpsons. What'd you learn from Dan Dawn? Guy? I'm trying to think of something that I did learn. Whenever you say something to your wife that you're a great just take it back, take it back a meal, take it back a mealing. What about you?
Speaker 3: Well, if it's going to rain, just don't play a tesla. Yeah, play international thort form play ten twenty.
Speaker 2: From this day forward, your names will be. It's time for the Guy Davis new Nan Championship. The current need the board stands at this in third position we have Clever Kyle on fifteen points, in second position Nathan Briggs and mcbriggs on seventeen points, and in first position Philip Jay Hawgans on twenty four points. Take it away, okay, don parto away. One point goes to love and Mowridge. That's Dave Randall McNally, Randall McNally, rand McNally, Okay, d McNelly, I've.
Speaker 3: Heard of rad McNally. If your nickname is pretzels. It's kid saying that at any opportunity, anyway you get through me for a loop there. But hey, good work, Dave. These pretzels are getting me one point two points. And by the way, folks who may sense a pattern forming with some of these names. Two points goes to scenes from a Mowridge that would be Heath Applebee.
Speaker 2: How do you like them?
Speaker 3: Applebee's oh god, damn, you beat me to it. I like him enough to give him two points, uh, And three points goes to Mowridge counseling.
Speaker 2: That's Mike Salter. He's climbing up the leaderboard. He is now equal third with Clever Kyle on fifteen points.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know what, Those pretzels are making me thirsty? And so is that Salter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did it, Salter and Papa.
Speaker 3: If someone's listening to show for the first what the fuck are these guys talking about, They've.
Speaker 2: Got to rets.
Speaker 3: So you think that the patrons are like, we appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, it's only the patrins listening at this point. Third position, we have Yeah, Clever Kyle and Mike Sualtron fifteen nah and Briggs on seventeen and Philip J. Hawk and still in first position on twenty four. Alright, there we go. So that is our review of Mo Letter Blues. The next season twenty one episode we shall be reviewing is called The Bob next Door. Oh, this is a sideshow Bob episode, always like Sidejo Bob one.
Speaker 3: Indeed, we'll see how we go with that totally.
Speaker 2: This is the one where we get to see his full family, not the kid and the wife. But he's I think Cecil returns. Okay, I thought you were a better Say he's full of something else? No, no, like wow, Yes, it's walking a little blue. So The Bob next Door is next season twenty one episode we shall be reviewing. How many more episodes are left in the seasons we've got The Bob next Door?
Speaker 3: I imagine there's something maybe two more?
Speaker 2: Yes, Judge me tender? Is the finale? I believe? Yeah? Because then season I know we've got one more? Is it? What the heck Elementary School Musical is that season one? It's the twenty second season PROMI year, So you have two more episodes of season twenty on The Bob next Door and Judge Me tender s looking for those ones in your fees. Still got some great classic reviews coming up as well with we have gotten to throw out the Lemon of Troy with the writer of the episode Print Forester Cool. I don't work for that one, as well as I've got Aaron Goxy coming back on the show as well, the Little Metal cameo stuff by Geelonda, do a bonus podcast, and so much more, and don't forget if you want to hear season eleven reviews of Mitch and Dana. That's available on our Patreon as well as early in ad free access. We also do Speaking of the Hill, You and I, we do Tis of Futurama, we do Talking Seinfeld, and we do What's the Other on Video Bob's Pods. Yes, all that exclusive podcast on our Patreon. Support the show a sportypals Guy and Dana, But for now, mistevs any final words for first incredible listeners out there?
Speaker 3: Well, the incredible listeners weren't listening and they won't be listening now.