Speaker 1: That quick weather we got mostly sundayday to day and one up to ninety degrees seventy two overnight muggy, eighty eighth, the high tomorrow with cloudy skies for the most part seventy overnight again muggy, and on Thursday, high of eighty six with partly cloudy skies seventy one.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: Traffic update.
Speaker 3: From the uc hout Traffic Sector U see help Backneck and Spying Center offers innovative treatments to improve quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and northern Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Learn more. You see how dot com loading.
Speaker 3: Up southbound seventy five for an extra five through Blackman, northbound seventy five, an extra five out of Burrowlinger into the cut in southbound two seventy five, continued slow from the Lawrence Burg Ramp onto the bridge. Chuck Ingram up toty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty FO fifty five KRCD Talk Station. Happy Tuesday, Welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning Show. Always a welcome back. Steve Gooden from the law firm of Porter Right, who regularly changed in on prominent legal matters going on that affect the area. Steve Gooden is now running for Cincay City Council as a Charter Committee member, and he has previously served on council. He's got a great record, smart man, he is. Vote for him. Welcome back, Steve good It's always a pleasure to have you on the program.
Speaker 2: Hey, Brian, thank you so much for having us on.
Speaker 1: Well please do. And the other day I think you were commenting to local news about fifty to sixty gunshots fired down on Lynn Street area three o'clock in the morning on Saturday. Actually the residence there said was more like sixty five to seventy five. Really got automatic weapons going on down there. Apparently the residents say this is not uncommon, it happens all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'll tell you. The West End neighborhood, something that ted my attention for many years. Ironically met the group of people who were impacted back when I was on council in twenty twenty. They came to me at City Council to complain about the city concentrating too much affordable housing in their neighborhood, creating an issue with a concentration of poverty and drug dealing and violence, et cetera. And they were calling this out back then and saying, hey, the city is intentionally doing this to us, and now we've got one of the worst incidents we've had in a long time. He had a straight up shootout. We believe it was between a group of rival drug dealers operating under something called POO, which is a large public housing complex there near Lynn and Clark Street by the Hayes Porter Elementary School where the Peewee football championship was held. A few hours after the shooting, fifty to sixty shots, car windows shot out. One of the bullets passed through an individual's front his living room. Street bullet just went right through the living room. And of course no one arrested. Police do end up ultimately responding three or four ound shot. We are told none cooperated. So all this does is show up in the stats as a series of property crimes because it looks like some windows were broken, and the severity of this is just lost on everyone. I spent I spent a good chunk of Saturday afternoon with these folks walking around and you know, looking at the shell casings and the windows there, and this is the kind of stuff that is going on in our neighborhood. It's not just the thing on Fourth Street, which was terrible, but these are you know, this is the reality of where we are in the city these days, which is gunfights near schools. And these are folks, you know that I'm working with here that have rehabed these houses. These are taxpayers trying to do the right thing, and they are horrified. At least one of them immediately started to make you know, got on the MLS and started looking at properties outside of it because you've got a kid. You just you can't live this way.
Speaker 1: Well, let's pause. We'll bring Steve good back and see if he has any ideas about a better path to dealing with the crime in downtown Cincinnati. Seven thirty five Right now, if you have ker see the talk station, where was Steve Gooden? I mentioned my friends at Plumb Tight Plumbing. They know you deserve better. They deliver on better for all your residential plumbing needs. My friends at Plumb Title will help you out with superior customer service and no service fees, free estimates. They enjoy an a plus with a better business bureau that's well deserved. Plus the tri States number one installer for tankless water heaters. Go tankless for money savings, energy savings. Yeah, that's right. They deliver on that also space savings. No giant tanks sitting around that room. Move it out, get a law a small unit the size of a medium suitcase hanging on the wall. They last longer than traditional tanks. And I think the best thing about a tankless unlimited hot water, you'll never run out. So count on the Tri State's number one installer. That's Plumb Tight Plumbing. It's always plumbing done right, regardless of what you need done for your house. You got the best plumbers around five one three seven two seven eighty four eighty three, five one three seven two seven tight online. You find them at plumbtight dot com. This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio station. Two seconds.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Well know that means time for the Channeline weather forecast. Sunny day for the most part today ninety for the high overnight down to seventy two, to be muggy tomorrow mostly cloudy sky's and the best chance of rain all week eighty eight, the high overnight down to seventy with muggy conditions continuing in a high of eighty six on Thursday, inn partly cloudy sky seventy one. Right now time for a traffic updates.
Speaker 4: From you see out Traffic Center.
Speaker 3: You see how Backneck and Spine Center offers innovative treatments to improve quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and northern Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Learn more and you see health dot com.
Speaker 3: Loading up southbound seventy five for an extra five through Lachlan northbound seventy five, then extra five out of Berliner into the cut in southbound two seventy five, continued slow from the Lawrence Perk ramp onto the bridge. Chuck King Ram Month fifty five kr seed the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty nine at the cloud KERCD talk station Brian Thomas with hopefully another council member will elected Steve good In this November and hopefully improve the conditions in the city since Sinnati Steve good running as a charter and of course an outstanding legal background he has. Steve Gooden, if on council, do you have any suggested solutions or maybe a better path or dealing with what many are characterizing is out of control violence in the City of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it is absolutely out of control. Brian. It is a horrible time again, particularly in the neighborhoods from there to begin, know, Wenten Hills, the West End. We've had another eruption of bad behavior in Clifton Gaslight of all places where I live, which was a place that was untouched by violence for many years. And we know what needs to happen. You know, when me and mister Smitherman, you know, we're on council, and I hope the voters see fit to return him to council as well, because he will do an incredible job, because it is common sense. We called this years ago. I mean, we knew at the time, even four years ago, that we were heading toward a police staffing crisis. Right now, we're sitting two hundred officers short of a full compliment. Can Kover from the FOP tells me that most days, because of all the other officers nearing retirement and on special assignments, we have roughly four hundred officers spread across three shifts and those spread across four districts who can actually answer calls that you know, if you have a problem with your house and make a phone call, you know the call nine to one one. We're down to four hundred shifts or four hundred officers spread across three shifts who might actually be able to answer the call in a city of three hundred and five thousand. That's not enough city where we in most nights we have more than that. We have actually, you know, with red game, soccer games, concerts, we could easily have five hundred thousand people eating, dining, or hanging out in the city. We don't have the officers we need. And you can put all the money aside for overtime you want, but if you don't have enough officers to work at it's not going to happen. So I don't see any choice but to start working with other agencies in the short term and starting to immediately incentivize and grow that compliment. We need hundreds of more officers if we're actually going to police the city.
Speaker 1: Well, the council recently allocated two million dollars to hire lateral hires, which are going to be more quickly put on the streets. Apparently they have the training already, they're already law enforcement officers in other jurisdictions, so hiring them over just requires some additional follow up training before they on the street. So that's a great idea, but it is two million dollars for that, plus you know they're going to allocate some of that for extra lighting or something. Is that sufficient? Do we have the funds and resources to maybe improve on that?
Speaker 2: We absolutely do, Brian. I mean, look, I mean they spent this city council spent three point two million dollars on this so called Act program which was achieving change together, and the only change it achieved was more violence. And it was a violence production program. This is the one where they spend the money on urban gardening and dance lessons and free sandwiches, got bus stops, hoping that would, like somehow mitigate the violence that three point two million dollars could have put a whole, complete group class through top to bottom. The lateral hires are great, I mean they I think it's an absolute emergency measure. Putting more money out for overtime great, but there's nobody to work the overtime. This is going to take a long term, systemic approach and they're going to have to work with other jurisdictions, whether it be the sheriffs and state patrol in the meantime, I mean, they can still save a few weeks of this summer. But they're just they don't seem to be willing to get out of their own heads. They don't seem to be willing to let these sort of silly schemes go. You know, you can't dance your way out of this problem or garden your way out of this problem. You need police on the streets who know the community, who have the time and ability to get out walk a beat. We have this police collaborative and it's all kind of based on community policing, which is old fashioned beat policing, walking to beat policing, But we just don't have the staff to do it right now. So and we know, I mean every study shows that that is the most effective time, both as a deterrent and because they know who's who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know you mentioned gardening programs, and I'm just going back to the facts that you presented about what happened in the West End with you know, sixty five or so random gunshot between rival gangs. I mean, does anybody in their right mind think a gardening program is going to deal with that type of matter?
Speaker 2: Well? Right, it passed nine to zero of city council. So I can tell you nine people down there who apparently are not in their right minds when it comes to spending taxpayer money on this stuff. It is insane. I've been talking about that everywhere I go to me. It is a complete symbol and it's three point one million dollars city tax dollars went to this nonsense that could have gone on the street in some way with enhanced policing. We knew this summer was coming. We have had a trend for the last three summers of increased violence. And instead of trying to cherry pick and gaslight us with very selected crime stats, you know that this is what they did. They could have just faced the problem that they knew was coming this year and actually tried to put some some officers on the street and tried to get some intelligence about where the violence was occurring.
Speaker 1: And moving forward, well, I dex the Democrat Party has gone so far left and they've embraced this anti police philosophy so much that that would require them to turn their back on something and acknowledge that they were wrong. Just like every other city that went down that road has collapsed from a crime standpoint.
Speaker 2: No, that's absolutely right. I mean, there definitely was an anti police vibe, particularly in the mayor's campaign back in twenty one when he ran against David Mann. He absolutely raised the idea that there would be racial profiling if there were more police. He did that in his sprinting materials and the mail that he sent out, and that's just what was done, just solely to stoke fear. But you know, look, it isn't just all policing. I mean, if you're going to spend some money on youth programs and summer job programs and things of that nature, those things can help. So can enforcing the basic quality of life offenses like in loitering and littering and things of that nature. I really believe in the broken windows theory. If if a town looks or an area looks kind of like bad, it does send a message for people that you can con make crimes. And we have definitely done that. The city is dirtier and messier and more broken than it's been in many, many years, and that's been also a trend over the last four years, and I think that absolutely encourages this kind of activity. But if you're going to spend money on those things and fixing it up and maybe getting some stuff for the kids to do. It can't be this nonsense like the gardening and the dance lessons. I mean, it's just bizarre to me.
Speaker 1: Steve Gooden, hang out. I want to get your reaction to President pro Tem Victoria Parks's comment. See if you think she's being helpful, and if you're uncounselable, would you demand a resolution centering her for her comments? Seven forty six more Steve good and hang on one moment. Affordable Imaging Services be like Fred listener. Fred called in the other day. He personally saved I think it was more than six thousand dollars taking my recommendation to get his scans done at Affordable Imaging Services. I can't remember where he got an MRI or a CT scan or a Echo cardigram, but you will save thousands of dollars versus the hospital imaging department. And so he referred a friend and his friends saved money and Jeff, Jeff saved thirty one hundred dollars. I've saved probably more than ten thousand dollars with the three CT scans and the MRI I got done at Affordable Imaging Services. I call that real money. So you have a choice when it comes to your imaging. So if you're gonna get an image done, why not get paid four hundred and fifty bucks, No contrast, or six hundred with a contract for a CT scan as opposed to five thousand dollars. Every one of the scans that Affordable Imaging Services comes with the board certified Radiologist report included in the price, literally thousands of dollars. So give them a call five one three seven five three eight thousand, five one three seven, five three eight thousand, check them out online, learn all about it all the pricing Affordable Medimaging dot com fifty five KRC. The talk station A couple of years ago, I was in jen and I says, we're going to have a mostly sunny day to day, little tiny chance of rain, ninety degrees for the high, seventy two overnight muggy tomorrow, mostly plotty, best chance of rain all week Tomorrow, eighty eight for the high overnight muggy again with a low of seventy and a partly clotty Thursday going up to eighty six degrees. Seventy one degrees now traffic time.
Speaker 4: From the UCL Train Takes Center.
Speaker 3: The UCE Health Backneck and Spine Center offers innovative treatments to improve quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and northern Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Learn mored you see how dot com.
Speaker 3: He spent two seventy five break lights cole Rain to Hamilton Avenue went debris and the roadway blocking the right two lanes now single file to get by. There's a Reconnoin's been two seventy five near twenty eight and mil for both soldiers. Chuck Ingram Hunt fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifteen fifty got KRCD talk station got some great choices for Cincinni City Council this November, including Christopher SMITHM. And get on over to Jim and Jacks today after eleven o'clock when they open and sign a petition to put Christopher on the ballot. Got about eight days left to do that, So Jim and Jack's is the place to be. And someone who backs Christopher SMITHM and also running for council, Steve Goodmy's on the phone, our legal expert. I wanted to get your comment in reaction to President pro tem Victoria Park's statement out loud that the people that received the beatdown on July twenty fourth deserved it. They were begging for it, including Holly, who seems to be a completely innocent bystand who got cole cock and knocked completely out by that sucker punch to the face, begging for it. Steve Gooden, if you're on counsel, what would your reaction to her comments be?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you I was very of all the things that have happened here with this in terms of the public officials involved, that was the most disappointing. And I'll tell you you know, I served on council briefly with Victoria Parks, have known her on and off four years. She's an Air Force vetter and she was a longtime chief of staff for Todd Purtune, who was I don't one of the last of the old school sensible Democrats who actually was sort of I don't. Always didn't always agree with him, but he was looking out for the taxpayer. So I was very disappointed to hear this coming from her, and absolutely I think she should step down or in a minimum, be censured. I think she should step down. I guess she's not running again, so I think she's just going to kind of gut it out for the next few months. But I'll tell you, I think it speaks just to how deeply unserious this group of people are. I mean, even if that's what she feels, thinks, or what have you, which is wrong. But even if she thinks that, why she would feel the need to publicly express that is very strange to me, And it just shows a complete abdication of her role and not even understanding that what she says in a situation like this matters. I mean, her statements became international news. Yeah, I mean not just national news, international news. There's people like in Australia, I saw a British newspaper clip like can you believe this? You know, in this city that's racially divided and going through all this stuff, and certainty one of the elected leaders comes up and basically says that you know that these people had it coming just it is just just from a leadership standpoint. I mean, you know, I was just thinking these people, you know a lot of them are parents. I mean, you know, if you're a parent, there's certain things you can say in front of your kids, certain things you don't even there's things that need to be said at some point among adults. And I'm not suggesting that's what this is is, but you have to be mindful of your role when you speak out. And it is so stegg anything used to say deeply unseerious that it's really hard to hard to wrap my head around.
Speaker 1: Well, it also reflected her ignorance on you legal concepts like freedom of speech. I mean, she literally said, in this country, we have freedom of speech. However you may not run into a crowded theater and screen fire suggesting that someone's use of the N word in that crowd. And I think it's a We're still kind of sketchy on the facts and details like the white guy slapped the other guy which started it. Well, apparently the white guy got hit prior to that happening, so details still unfolding. But even if someone said the N word, it doesn't justify criminal behavior on the other side. I mean that's essentially what she's saying. Well, he exercises freedom of speech, he deserved what he got. That's I mean, that's insanity, isn't it, Steve.
Speaker 2: Well, that's just no way that you can't run a city based on principles like that. Okay, you know you just can't. I mean, look you I was a prosecutor for many, many years, and the first thing you learn is that these videos that surface often don't tell the whole story. In fact, you know you can it can be very misleading just by showing you one single clip. So as a public official, or as an elected official especially, you should know better than to weigh in on something like this until all the facts are there. I mean, there's a grand jury that was in Piano that heard everything and they handed down some indictments. I think there's probably more indictments to come. So the idea that we're going to sit here and you know, just having teams a couple of things on our phone and then way in and pour gas on the fire is just is just bad leadership. And I don't maybe it was satisfying in the moment for her to spout off like that, and she's right, she's got a First Amendment right to do it. We have a First Amendment right to point out that this is terrible leadership and made things worse just when you thought things couldn't get worse. There going to I mean, I guess on the upside, she didn't. They didn't go out and try to, you know, intervene that night with dance lessons and sandwiches and things like that. That's the only thing I can think that that would have been worriers as if they had shown up and tried to that's what the people or something. But I mean, I say that sort of in jest. Yes, it's not that far removed from the reality that we're dealing with right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we needed a big bag of potting soil wol to solve the whole problem that night. Steve Goodnight, you have better choices. Let's exercise them in November. My friends in the city of Cincinnati vote Steve good and of course, Christopher Smithman. Steve always a pleasure talking with you. I appreciate your thoughts and comments, and I certainly wish you all the best as we approach November.
Speaker 2: All right, and thank you so much for having us on. You know, a lot of the media has not been covering stories like what happened in the West End, so it's very, very important that we have forums like this to get the story out.
Speaker 1: And you always have a farm here in the fifty five krs.
Speaker 2: Morning.
Speaker 1: Should to speak your voice, which we truly appreciate. Steve Goodin, have a wonderful week, mind friend, we'll talk again soon. Stick around, folks. Begin of talking inside scoop with bright Bard news, the return of London Chief Oliver Lane. Question is Britain past the point of no return? Plus the Daniel Davis deep dive. Things are going terribly badly for Ukraine. Even more developments on that recently. We'll talk about that with Daniel Davis at eight thirty. I hope you can stick around. News happens fast, stay up to date. At the top of the hour. Not gonna be complicated, It's gonna go very fast. Fifty five KRC the talkstation. This report is sponsored by AQUWA