Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: We've got a lot of really good college basketball matchups. Tonight, Kentucky's taken on ole Miss. Currently, Kentucky is four and a half point underdogs. Ole Miss projected to win this one by three eighty to seventy seven according to Ken Palm. And as we discussed earlier, these Kentucky's been in this exact same spot, not as bad, I guess as the loss to Arkansas, because again, take away the element of Caliperi, that's still, at least on paper, your worst loss. So you know, maybe it's not it's maybe this isn't something that continues to trend. But they've been in the spot where they've had a loss that they probably feel like they should not have had and then the next thing, you know, they got to turn around and go on the road and play a really good team and it doesn't look great, but then they win. I mean they did it last week against Tennessee whenever they were coming off that loss to Vandy, and then before that, it was the Mississippi State game right after they'd lost to Georgia. I think it was, went down there and won in Starkville and then beat Gonzaga. After slipping up, well not really slipping up, they get blown out by twenty points to Ohio State. So Mark Pope's been in this spot before and he's been able to bounce back. But doing it old miss against Chris Beard much easier said than done. Also, Arizona BYU. That's not a game that really does a lot for me. But Arizona currently a top fifteen team in the Ken Palm.
Speaker 3: So let's see who else.
Speaker 2: Michigan State UCLA, which I gotta get Mick cronin some credit. I mean he motivated his team by calling him out and really just reminding us how miserable he is and how unlikable he is. I mean when he just went on his rant about how he works hard, he doesn't need to do anything else, he's got so many wins. I mean, he was really feeling himself after losing. I think it was two in a row or three in a row. And how how young he was, oh yeah, fifty yet.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so uh, I don't remember, because after that happened, he ended up losing.
Speaker 3: I think two more.
Speaker 2: But then since then they've actually really turned it on and they beat Iowa, a good Wisconsin team, beat Washington USC, and then most recently they beat Oregon who was having a good season, and man, they're kind of falling apart now. So Michigan State is who UCLA place tonight? This will be in La So.
Speaker 3: And what's the spread on that?
Speaker 2: Take a guess UCLA Michigan State at UCLA.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say three.
Speaker 3: It's a late tip, so let me see here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so UCLA minus three, you said, yes, it's UCLA minus two, and sure enough, Ken Palm predicts that UCLA will win by two seventy to sixty eight.
Speaker 3: That's taugh But yeah, Cronin, I mean he's certainly responded. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They end up losing five of six games from December twenty first to January thirteenth, and since then they haven't lost and they certainly look to be in much better shape for the tournament now, which, by the way, I may play this later. There's a good story when these two guys were assistant coaches at Louisville, both Mick Cronin and Kevin Willard, who's now at Maryland. Previously, Seaton Hall and Iona Mick played a prank on Kevin Willard that I thought was actually pretty funny. So there's a good clip that I can play a little bit later that I think you guys will find funny as well. But also, we've got Purdue in Iowa tonight, Marquette and Saint John's. That's a big time matchup. Really, that's the game to kind of determine who's gonna take the lead here in the Big East. Because right now, I mean Saint John's is sitting at nineteen and three. Their only loss is a one point loss to Crayton at Creighton. I mean they've been on fire, and really Rick's got it rolling right now. I mean their loss to George doesn't look as bad as it did when you took it, and really that still isn't a bad loss. They lost in overtime, I'm sorry, double overtime to Baylor, a game that they were they really had no business losing. And then again that one slip up to Creighton that was in December. So they they're rolling right now, and Marquette really good team. They're coming off the loss to Yukon, which it's weird to say that losing the Yukon is like a bad loss because it's not. But you know, Yukon is currently thirty fifth in the Ken Palm, and that was I mean, that was I mean, that was before they just knocked off a really good Marquette team. So right now it looks like these two teams, Marquette Saint John's are in the driver's seat for the Big East. But we'll see, maybe maybe Dan Hurley gets hot and gets it rolling. But really, outside of I mean, let's see, outside of Saint John's, Marquette, Connecticut and Creighton, I mean.
Speaker 3: That's that league falls off.
Speaker 2: And we've had people mention this here and there on the on the on the text line, and I do have some numbers that I want to get to later because I do think you're right here. The ACC's get a lot of heat for being bad, and it is bad, especially considering what it used to be. And I can't even claim that I think that the ACC is like better than the Big East, because I don't. But Duke is better than any team in I would say, in both the Big East in the Big Twelve. But they're propping you up like the Big East is having a down year, and really, I mean, I'm looking at the numbers here. Sorry to be spinning my wheels, but I didn't realize that outside of those four teams, there's not even like a decent team in the Big East. They're all kind of bad, I mean really bad actually so and look who knows, mate, I mean, I have a hard time seeing those four teams not making it. But maybe the ACC. Here's what's gonna happen. Let's say the ACC ends up getting five six teams in because of the bubble bouncing the right way for these ACC teams that are on the bubble and in the Big East only gets four in. It'll be some people claiming that that means that the ACC is better, and it really all depends on how you want to look at it. But my whole thing is like, why are people in denial about the ACC? Like there's nothing you can do about it, right? You just support your team, and you know, I know you want your league to be good because if your league's good, that's gonna make your team look good. And obviously, if you lose games in league play and your league has respect it is valued, then it's not going to hit you as much. And if you win games, man, and your league is good, then you're getting good wins. But like, that's just so obviously not the situation that we're in. And it's really not even an opinion, it's a fact. Like the AEC not only is not a good league, it's also crazy different than it was ten years ago. And when I say that, people bring up like, well, you know all the coaches, Well, yeah, of course that's why I'm I'm not asking you how it happened. I mean, I guess maybe it is worth questioning how did they get this bad?
Speaker 3: But I mean, there's gonna be new hires made, and they got to get it right.
Speaker 2: I was talking to Dave Jennings earlier, who's a big Florida State fan, and you know, the big if big jobs open up, and we were just in this position, right, like, if big jobs open up, who are they going to get?
Speaker 3: There was a time where you just could feel, you could just you know, you could.
Speaker 2: Feel there were guys that were clearly gonna be ready to take the next jump up to a job. I mean, Dusty May was the guy, and he did. He went from fau to Michigan. You know Pat Kelsey did that, but there wasn't I mean, let's be real, there wasn't like a bunch of hype about ho, who's gonna hire this guy? He's the next star and so far he's been great. But you know, back in the day when Brad Stevens was at Butler, Shaka Smart was at VCU, even Chris Macket Xavier. I mean, there was a lot of folks that thought he'd never leave Xavier because he played there is from Cincinnati, and he did get a number one seed, brought in a top ten recruiting class at Xavier. But it's Xavier, so it didn't really surprise people. Like when he took the Louisville job, I think people realize, oh, yeah, you know, that was a great story. It's Xavier, but you know, Louisville comes calling, you take the job. So like, I just don't know, like there's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are already are openings right now in the acc that I mean, you've got Leonard Hamilton's upping down at the end of the year, Miami's open, Virginia's open. I would imagine that Syracuse is going to open up at least it should and then I doubt they move on from Damon stodhomire at Georgia Tech this early, But I'm trying to think of it. I feel like there's other job. There's other schools that I feel like are going to have an opening in the ACC. But either way, I mean, if you go out and hire a guy that has good resources built in and I don't mean you know he's got top five inile money, because that's not I mean only the elite programs seem to be able to really do that. So, but if you have a competitive nil situation and you've got a coach who has a formula that has worked at a lower level, like a Charleston like of Utah Valley State, like Pope was how Pope was winning, like you could if you have good resources and you were at a place that has had success in basketball, you can go hire a proven good coach. I guess what I'm getting at is the whole Well, I don't know if he can do it at this level. He was good at the mid major, but can he do it at the big time? Well, I think things have changed to where you don't need to have that larger than life vibe about yourself to walk into a high school kid's house and recruit him anymore. Because if you got money, you can make up for maybe not being super famous, right and if you know you're selling an opportunity and you look I think you have to be relatable. You have to be charismatic. Players have to want to play for you. But like, you can go get a guy that is successful in the lower levels, maybe not even like to maybe not to Dusty May's level as far as going to a final four. But if your job has good resources, they can win because you can go buy players. Now, you can use the you can use free agency essentially, which is the portal. So I think the ACC is going to be back, I really do. But anybody acting like it's not in a bad way right now, I guess it's just you know, in denial. So again, a lot of good games tonight. Only one good game last night as far as you know, big time matchups, and it wasn't a good game because it was a blowout. Kansas really took it to Iowa State, a good Iowa State team, by the way.
Speaker 3: And this is just a crazy, crazy stat.
Speaker 2: Bill self is now thirty seven and zero at Kansas on Big Monday when they're at home. So I guess that is a I mean, the fact that he's coached thirty seven Big Monday games at home at Allen Fieldhouse, I guess it does speak to how long he's been at Kansas. But still, if they're at home on Big Monday, usually you know it's Kansas. Those Big Monday matchups, they don't just put you know, anybody there. There's a reason last night Iowa State was there because they're their top five, top ten team. So I mean, again, that doesn't that's not something you hang a banner for, but it proves how good he is in those kind of matchups and also that you know, that's a tough place to play. I used to be there all the time in the man too, I know. And look now that's another thing like last night. I mean, Virginia, by the way, gets blown. Virginia blows out Pitt at Pitt like that. That's the kind of loss that if Caple and Pitt don't make the tournament, they have to look themselves in the mirror. And they were a team that I feel like there was a scenario where we would have been able to defend them and say, hey, they're also kind of a victim here of everybody else in the league being so bad to where their numbers, their metrics should be better. But when you lose to Virginia like that, I mean on your home floor, a Virginia team that honestly looked pretty lifeless since we hit twenty twenty five and Pitt got really blown out. So I mean Big Monday used to be, oh man, you kidding me. We got Louisville and Syracuse, We've got Miami, NC State, you got Duke taken on Notre Dame or Carolina taken on a good Florida State team.
Speaker 3: That's where we used to be.
Speaker 2: And now, I mean ESPN's probably reconsidering where they're putting that game. I mean it's kind of tied into you know, your contract with the you know, ESPN and the ACC network, SEC network, that kind of stuff. But like that game last night, I mean, not a good look for the league. And again, like somebody asked this last week's you know, what's the best case scenario for the for the ACC from now until selection Sunday? And I think the answer is pretty obvious, which is you've got to hope that the teams that are on the bubble continue to work towards being on the right side of the bubble and getting in the tournament. And that way you really just have I don't know, five to six teams that you know, kind of maybe all beat up on each other. Duke's going to be in a world by themselves, and then you just don't slip up and lose to teams like Virginia at home, or don't slip up and lose to teams like Georgia Tech anywhere. And Louisville did that, Pit did that, and Louisville did such a good job in January at really improving their situation that that loss isn't a killer. But you know, you can't have many more of them or any more of them really and not start thinking about, all, right, does this put us where we really are thinking about a sweaty evening on selection Sunday. So again, you've got in the ACC three teams that as of now are safely in Duke, Clemson and Louisville, and then after that you've got SMU, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, and North Carolina. Those are the teams that you know are alive essentially in the tournament as far as the bubble. But I mean with Pitt, I mean, you gotta keep in mind, Pitt is now lost. You know, I didn't realize this, Pitt. They lost four in a row, Duke, Louisville, Florida State, Clemson, and then they beat Kees and they beat Carolina. Looked like that was going to be a you know, and by the way, that was a pivotal game last week because Carolina and Pitt kind of in the same exact spot. Put you in a situation where if you end up where your neck and neck with each other when it comes to resumes, whoever ruins that head to head might get the nod. But Pitt got it, didn't turn around, lost to Wake Forest. Now they lost to Virginia. So they've lost six of eight games since January seventh. So like, I gotta be honest with you, I don't think pits in I don't know. I don't And and again it's you got plenty of time left, right we're in early February. But what the ACC has now that I've never seen before is such a lack like if you put yourself in a tough spot in February, you're kind of cooked unless you just go on some crazy run in the ACC tournament. I mean, if pen ends up winning out and you know, they end up having you know, a really good record and they're you know, twelve and eight or thirteen and seven in the ACC, maybe they'll get back into the good side of it. But like, I just don't know how you could look at pitt as a bubble team. And again, Carolina, They've got good metrics for a team that you know, is thirteen and ten. Like, I mean, Carolina still keeps getting mentioned as a bubble team that could maybe get there, and you know it's Carolina. They do have a chance to play Duke, and their numbers aren't bad for a team that's thirteen and ten, but they're thirteen and ten, Like how good? How are they even sniffing the bubble? I mean, I just don't think Carolina can be six and five in an ACC this bad and still be at as a team that might make the tournament. So then you get to smu who and I guess Wake Forest. But again, Wake, I'm not even gonna get into them. I mean, they're their own worst enemy as far as how it came because again, after they lost to Louisville. They went and beat Pitt which was a good win for them, you know, comparatively speaking. So they are sixteen and six and they have no bad losses and when better than most ACC teams have, but they're not in the top seventy five like in again, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but like that, that's easily avoidable if you just you know, know what you're doing. So maybe WAKE ends up getting there, but if not, I won't be surprised. And then SMU again, they're the tricky team because they don't have really any bad losses either, they're just taking advantage of a down ACC like other teams like Louisville Ar. I mean, like right now, this SMU team, they're currently in third place in the league behind Duke Clemson in Louisville. So you know, with that eight and three, fourteen and six overall, top forty five in the Ken Palm, like I'd say they're they're probably the most likely team to get in outside of the three Duke Clemson in Louisville, but like even there on the bubble. So anyways, whoever these coaches hire, I don't I don't think it has to be some big name. I think you can see, I think you can see certain guys that you know have shown that they've been successful and maybe not because again what happens, and this is I've always argued this was this was stupid. And there's examples that show you that, Like, you shouldn't hire a guy who's one thing on his resume is one specific run in the tournament, because doesn't guarantee that he that he will you know, fail. But man like Shaka Smart. Shaka Smart is doing well at Marquette now, but like he's never really won in the tournament in the one thing that like you remember about him is that he went to the final four a VCU. Like Dusty May is doing a fine job at Michigan right now, but like, other than that, there was really nothing on his resume that made it seem like he was that special other than he made a final four at a FAU, which again that has value. I'm not acting like that doesn't matter. We shouldn't we shouldn't include it. But we are so crazy when it comes to college basketball that there is so much emphasis on what you do in March and what kind of runs you make in the tournament. And I'm not saying that like we overvalue it, like it doesn't matter, but we also kind of just lose context of the situation to where that doesn't define if you're a good or bad coach. Like, for example, Pat Kelsey and Mark Pope had never won a tourna neither of him ever won an n SAA tournament game, and.
Speaker 3: They may not who knows.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think both will probably be just fine at both Louisville and Kentucky. But my point is they didn't have that deep run. Therefore, they weren't being talked about as next guy up. Right when somebody is looking for a new coach and they're a big time program that has high expectations for basketball, that's who they're gonna call. Because we only said that about guys who make the tournament, even if it's one year. And yet, if you really think about it, I'm not taking away final fours because again, they have a lot of value and they matter, and it's not easy to do either. But Pat Kelsey winning like he did at Charleston and Winthrop and Pope winning at Utah Valley and then winning at BYU, like, am I crazy to think that's actually more impressive than a guy who's been mediocre at best and then getting hot and making one tournament run.
Speaker 3: So you know, I'm not saying you can just.
Speaker 2: Go easily recreate Pope and Kelsey, because I think we got luckier in here. I think these guys are pretty special as coaches. Maybe that's just you know, me being biased, but there's other guys that have probably been successful at that level, but without that tournament run, they're not being mentioned for these jobs. That doesn't mean they can't take their formula that's succeeding at the lower level and make it work at the higher level. And again, I think that transition is actually easier now than it's ever been because what you may lack and experience with big time recruits, what you may lack and experience in like big time environments, all that kind of stuff, you could make up for it with money in il and you know, flipping your roster every year. A right quick break, it's coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Who knew a Microsoft Windows prompt would actually hit with this song, right like that kind of sounded like, all right, like that might work. Sorry I hit the wrong button on the computer and you yes, yeah it was me. Yeah it's me, so apologies.
Speaker 3: But yeah.
Speaker 2: So super Bowl will be here in what five days, and I'm excited about everything that comes with Super Bowl commercials. I'm going to go to a Super Bowl party with some friends and family and that's always a lot of fun. But the game itself, I mean, I'm just I'm hoping that it's the Eagles that keep the Chiefs from three peating. But I'd be a liar if I said I had an real doubt about the Chiefs, you know, And this is where like, this is where they'll just come out and be good and will have to just accept it because they haven't been flashy this year by any means. They have had performances despite being wins where they just don't look scary and uh, you know, they still win though, And I think the Eagles have had a phenomenal season. But the Chiefs I think are the deserving favorites until somebody can can take them down.
Speaker 3: Endured that down it is there we go Micro it's just it's just uh, it's just uh.
Speaker 2: When it's it's when it's the tiny little amount of sound that's coming into the headphones, it makes it feels like somebody's hijacked my brain. Because have you ever felt like you heard something and then you can't, like you wait a second. That that that drafts me insane all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyways, speaking of the super Bowl this uh this week, Rodger Gidell guess yesterday he has his h his annual I guess State of the Union, and he did say that an eighteen game NFL season is not going to be discussed until the league starts collective bargaining talks, which that doesn't ex that does not expire until twenty thirty one. So seventeen is a random, weird number, and it seems like adding another game or two just seems I mean, at some point, I think they're gonna have twenty games. I really do, because you know, why not. It's more money for everybody, and you could give us thirty NFL games and I think everybody's people are going to watch because the NFL is is king. But we'll get into some more NFL stuff a little bit later on in the week, And I don't mean like breaking down the matchup. I mean, I mean we could do that, but I don't think that would be a whole lot of fun. I think we kind of know the storylines here, right. That's you know.
Speaker 3: You've got Why can.
Speaker 2: I think of his name, Sakwon Barkley, who has had his best season really as a pro, and it's with the Eagles. Clearly they you know, the only difference in Barkley is one he's healthy, but also he's playing with a winning franchise, and man, he's been sensational. Fact, now that I think about it, if they are, like if the Eagles are able to get it done and knock off the Chiefs, keep them from getting a three peat, get another Super Bowl ring for Philly, I just have a hard time thinking that it won't be because Barkley was that same guy he's been really all year for them. I mean, he's been special. But you know, the Chiefs got some pretty good defensive players. To Chris Jones has got to be the most I mean he is, He's he's talked about less than all the other components that you feel like make the Chiefs special. Travis Kelce albeit kind of a douchebag. He's one of, if not the best tight ends of all time. And we know what Mahomes is, right, Andy Reid is a phenomenal coach, but also Chris Jones has been one of the best defensive players in the NFL for quite a while, and man, is he not a distant fourth when it comes to being like recognized. I mean he's getting he's getting respect from his peers, right, Like, the NFL knows he's great, he's winning awards, but you just rarely ever hear anybody bring him up. And you know that, don't let that, don't.
Speaker 4: Let you care about it more every single year in the postseason. I mean, he was kind of quiet a little bit like earlier in the regular season, but he just wrecks havoc when it comes to the playoffs, dude, And it just makes you go like, Okay, well, could you think about all the weapons that they have on offense. Yeah, and then you're like, oh my gosh, they have one of the best pass rushers in recent history on the defensive end.
Speaker 2: And look, I think one of the talking points obviously is and this is going to leave me to talking about Chris Jones for.
Speaker 3: Just a second.
Speaker 2: But the Chiefs getting preferential treatment from the referees. That has been a storyline all postseason in the NFL, and it's certainly a storyline to an extent, or maybe a big extent when it comes to this matchup, because there are people who are still going to watch, but they, you know, they just assume that the Chiefs are going to win because the refs are in on it.
Speaker 3: And I don't think this was productive. This is what they did today.
Speaker 2: The NFL Referees Association, their executive director Scott Green, put out a long memo basically stating that they, you know, they feel disrespected.
Speaker 3: Here's the quote from it.
Speaker 2: It is I'll just read directly from Tom Pellisara's reporters, a statement from the NFL Referees Association executive director Scott Green, who says it is insulting and preposterous to hear conspiracy theories that somehow seventeen officiating crews consisting of one hundred and thirty eight officials are colluding to assist one team. And you know, I just maybe I'm naive, but I never I just can't imagine a scenario where referees would like intentionally be doing it. I think what this all boils down to is a couple of things. One, the Chiefs are just really good at not making the same mistakes that other teams make. And when you make that mistake, they're going to make you pay for it, and you're gonna feel like it's luck. Now, not to say they haven't had I mean, Pat Mahomes does clearly have an ability to trick people to make it look like he's gonna slide, and then they hit him, and then they get the target, and then they get the roughing the passer, you know, unnecessary roughness penalty, and that's just something he's utilizing to his advantage. In the NFL is looking into it, and they're aware of it. They realize that's something they got to fix. But you know, I just I not only do I am I naive, I guess, but I also would never want to believe that, like what we're watching is not legitimately a competition that that nobody knows is going to win. I mean that the integrity of sports is something that I just you know, it wouldn't We wouldn't have this if there if the results were already you know, determined before these two teams play in any sport. So anyways, I'll bring all this up to say Chris Jones. I mean, I could think of at least a few playoff games in their run here, as they've been dominant in the last I don't, however, many years to where it wasn't a bailout by the officials. It's that, you know, the defense came up huge and made a play, probably led by Chris Jones, and then mahomes gets another opportunity. And when mahomes gets an opportunity late, he's gonna he's gonna put the nail in your coffin, Like that's just what he does, so you know Jones. In fact, I can't remember which game it was, but there was one game where it might not have been last year, but maybe the year before, where like mahomes ha had a not so great series, right, I don't think he turned it over, but like they needed to keep it moving and keep you know, try to go score, and they couldn't do it, so they had to punt it. Well, sure enough, they made great plays on defense to get the ball back and they were able to but nobody thinks about that. They just think about well, hell, you know, Mahomes is so great, he's so lucky, and the officials help him. Look, I hate the Chiefs as much as anybody, but I just it's become such a talking point that I'm starting to realize that people truly do believe that there's a conspiracy that like the refs are out there doing their job, which is to do what Roger Goodell wants, and that's for the Chiefs to win.
Speaker 3: Like I just, I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe people say it that much and it's tongue in cheek, but like I mean, clearly some people believe it, and I maybe you're right. Maybe I'm the one that's a fool and I'm wrong, and I'm I guess I'm not saying you're a fool. If you believe that, you can believe what you want. But I just you know, the scenario, this is one of those things that because the NBA has been accused of being rigged, right with certain things that happened as far as storylines, But in this day and age, if that was the case, we would know because nobody would be able to keep that quiet this day and age like that would get out and.
Speaker 3: You'd hear about it, so yeah, and you got to keep in mind.
Speaker 2: Like again, now I feel like a real dummy really just entertaining it as much as we have, because I mean, do you realize how much trouble the NFL.
Speaker 3: Would get in? Oh yeah, that wouldn't be good, Like they would ruin. I mean I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't mean like the league would have to shut down because it's corrupt. I mean like criminal charges like you know of of you know, fooling people, fraud like all.
Speaker 3: I mean think about the sports.
Speaker 2: But if even if they weren't benefiting from it from like a sports wagering standpoint, like if they're if they're out there letting people gamble on something that they know the result to like that you can't. I mean, I don't know what the legal charge would be. So again, nobody's out there conspiring. What happens is when you are a dynasty and you are in this tier that the chiefs are in, and you are Patrick Mahomes probably gonna be maybe the best that ever did it. When it's all said and done, you're gonna always end up probably getting more calls than you're not gonna get. And that's really how sports has always been, and it's not because of a conspiracy. It's because referees are human beings and we oftentimes you know, forget that.
Speaker 4: Well, if you remember in the NBA a few years ago, remember that that crooked ref Tim Donnahy, he came out and like wrote a book about it and said, there are some calls that the league wants us to make at least here in the chief situation. It's not like you know that they're getting favored all game. It just always happens sort of like at pivotal moments of the game. And maybe just a lot of people because I like to think that myself, I'm a huge, huge conspiracy guy, are you? But I love conspiracy?
Speaker 2: I mean, I love them, but I don't like I just I'm I'm very love to entertain them. Yeah, and my fiance doesn't love it. But you don't seem like tinfoil hat kind of guy though with it, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I just always look, I'm a wrestling fan too, and I always know what's called a work when you see one, and what could be what could lead on to a major storyline, what's the cause and effect to some things that happened so anything can happen, and I just always like to think, hm, what could this really have been done for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think of sports conspiracies that I've actually kind of really got gone all in on like others have.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure there's.
Speaker 4: The Michael Jordan uh and his father thing with him his father getting whacked for gambling and his his big uh what do you call it?
Speaker 3: His his debt with the Sharks.
Speaker 2: So that's one of those things that like they're just I mean, there's no like evidence of it.
Speaker 3: It's just right, these are things we.
Speaker 2: Know that his father he loves gambling, and his father was kind of randomly murdered, and it's you know that. So yeah, I mean, but then there's other things to where there's like evidence to where it's okay, you're gonna have to explain that. I don't think we I don't think the Jordan's there. I'll find In fact, I'm gonna look it up because I want to. I want to thought one that that because I'm sure there's a conspiracy out there in sports that that everybody says that's insanely that that's insanely stupid. It's who would believe that, but then like I would say, no, I'm let.
Speaker 3: Me tell you this is this is not a conspiracy, it's real.
Speaker 2: But anyways, real quick, speaking of gambling, we got to get you a break coming up in just a moment. But this this, this whole, I mean, it's not surprising, but the gambling ring that of course was involved in John tay Porter, who has since been banned from the NFL for life, he is I mean, I don't know if he's had his trial already, but he's going to go to federal prison. And we heard last week that Terry Rozier is alleged to have been you know, well Terry was is being and I guess I don't know if the investigation has has ended, but he's not going to comment on it, which is good thing for Terry. I'm sure his attorney told him that. But they don't really have any evidence. They just think it's very unusual that that same gambling group was also betting on his his props, and you know, they're looking in to see if he if he manipulated his performance during certain games. They've been looking into this for a long time. So the fact that it came out and yet they haven't actually done anything. Terry hasn't been suspended Terry. I mean, I don't know if he did it or not, but I kind of feel like if they were going to be able to take him down, they already would have. But then again, you know, maybe they're maybe they're still working on it. But anyways, I'll bring it up because according to ESPN, it's now this same exact gambling ring. They've also apparently been betting on college basketball games. So according to ESPN, sportsbook accounts connected to the same gambling ring bet against North Carolina, A and T, Mississippi Valley State and Eastern Michigan in games this season. So look that I'm not saying that those guys are guilty and somebody's in on it, but those are the kind of game like that. That's that's where that would happen, by the way, one, because you wouldn't think that people would pay that much attention to that. But also you can probably get players to do it more so than you because they don't have the NBA future to jeopardize. They're still really stupid for doing it, but they don't have the NBA future to jeopardize, and they're nil payday is not what others is. Therefore, if they're already terrible and they're just told to, you know, make sure you know, we lose by twenty seven instead of you know, instead of twenty four, and they could put some money in their pocket. Like I'm not saying they should do it or defending it, but like it isn't crazy at all, especially now that other players that play college basketball are getting paid and these guys probably are not making much of anything. So they're seeing you know, they're going on the road and playing bigger schools and they're playing against guys who are clearly better players, but you know, they're making six figures easily. I mean, I could just see somebody wanting to get their piece of the cut and maybe this is how they do it. Again, not condoning it by any means, but I wouldn't be shocked if if they determined that those teams had some guys shaving points. Right quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Leonard Hamilton is going to retire at the end of the season. That news broke yesterday on the show I want you guys to hear a story he shared before the season started that I think is really really, really good.
Speaker 3: So stick with us.
Speaker 2: Right here, it's coffee and company, feel bou Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Make sure if you have not tried all the delicious food items that Thornton's has, I mean, you got to check them out. I've had haven't had anybody tell me that I was wrong about all the great food options they have. But one thing they've had for quite some time, and it's kind of been overshadowed because of all the delicious breakfast sandwiches that they've given us over the years. They still have really good donuts. So keep that in mind. Among many reasons, don't sleep on the donut. Thornton's donuts are a phenomenal. So again we appreciate our.
Speaker 3: First regular glaze guy.
Speaker 4: Or do you kind of like the like the chocolate on them, or like the little Homer Simpson.
Speaker 2: I can do one glaze donut. Anything more is just too rich. Sure, yeah, like a chocolate glaze is good. But if I've had like two bites. I just feel like, man, that's enough sugar for the year for me, you know, but donuts are delicious.
Speaker 3: I like donut holes. Oh yeah yeah, big donut hole guy of course.
Speaker 2: So anyways, we are proudly fueled by Thornton's So let's go to the text line really quickly. Here this is and by the way, you can text it on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five h two six five three zero seven ninety these textas, Nick, do you think we see Chris Mack back in the ACC with all of these jobs currently open? I would say probably not next year. I don't know maybe. I mean, look, if Mac ends up going on a run and you know, making the Sweet sixteen or something, which you know, that'd be easier seve than done, because even if he makes the tournament and they win their league, they're still likely going to have a you know, a very high seed to where they're gonna play probably one of the best teams in the country. So like right now, he is currently they did lose a tough one the other night that they shouldn't have lost to William and Mary, but they're currently seventeen and six overall and in their league, you'll projected to go twenty two to nine, twelve and six in their conference according to Ken Palm and the CAA. I mean, really, it's going to come down to UNC, Wilmington, William and Mary and Charleston. I would say, I guess you could have a team that ends up maybe getting hot and winning that tournament. But you know, if they win that league and he makes a run, maybe, But I would you know, I I think he will try to go to a bigger and better job when the timing is right. But I I don't you know, if I could give you a better answer, I would, But it wouldn't shock me at all that just making the tournament and being there again will remind people that the guy has been a good coach really throughout his entire career. He just didn't work out at Louisville for some obvious reasons. And when you look at Louisville's real demise, I mean, he wasn't responsible for it. You know, he got out of here and and really took half the money when he could have taken more, and you know, clearly he didn't work out.
Speaker 3: He wasn't the right fit. He didn't want to do it anymore.
Speaker 2: So I'm not trying to make the case, you know, he should still be the coach, But what I'm getting at is, if you really just look at his resume top to bottom, I mean, there are a lot of programs out there that would be lucky to have him. And I know the Dino thing was kind of weird, but like he was extorted by his assistant coach and we all heard it. Like, I don't know how you could hear that and not think Dino is a lunatic. But anyways, wouldn't shock me if he ends up back in the ACC at some point. I just don't know if it'll be after only one year back at Charleston. I would imagine he'll probably want to stay there for a couple of years and really, you know, wait for his best team that he has to potentially make the tournament because his daughters are going to play volleyball there, and I mean that alone. I think we'll make it to where he may not even look to leave anytime soon.
Speaker 3: But we'll see.
Speaker 2: But at Florida State, that job will be open at the end of the year because Leonard Hamilton announced yesterday that he will be stepping down at the end of the season, and you know, makes total sense just given the way things are. But I wanted to let you guys hear this really quick. This is him talking about a recruit that he once recruited back in the day. This was on the field of sixty eight whenever they did their coverage at the ACC tip off. And this is just a really funny recruiting story as far as you know, coaches really doing whatever it takes to get a kid to say, yes, I'm gonna come and play for you. This is him talking about Fly Williams.
Speaker 5: I was twenty three years old my first I was a graduate assistant at Austin p and the full time assistant coach became ill at Christmas and had to resign. So now it comes to the spring and I ask the coach would he let me go on the road recruiting. I had never been in New York in my life, so he gave me some money and say go. So, you know, he had never been to New York. Neither have I. So we didn't know what I was I didn't know what I was doing. I heard there was a tournament in New York City Community college, and I know that's where I wanted to go because they said them players in New York were good. I said, look, sir, can you please make arrangement for me to meet this young man y'all talk about coming in and it was Fly Whims and so he said, well, if you recruit his buddy, you might have a chance. So now I'm walking around New York all day until seven o'clock. I supposed to meet Fly, supposed to be getting home at seven. I go to his home. He's not there at seven, he wasn't there at eight, he wasn't there at nine, And the gentleman said, I got to go. So now I'm over wherever I am? I don't know where I am. I shure, don't want to leave. So now I'm stuck with the mother, just me and her. She don't know who I am. She just met me, and I'm in New York and do not want to leave the house. So about twelve thirty she had to go use the bathroom, so I turned the clock back to ten thirty so she wouldn't know what time it was, and then it was literally but happened. So we talked, and we talked about North Carolina. We talked about fishing, and we talked about chicken, and we talked about we talked about everything I can think of. It to about six thirty, and the sun is coming up six thirty, Yeah, sixth there in the morning, the whole night, Yes, And so the stum's coming up. She went to the bathroom. I pulled the shades down and closed the curtains so she would not know that the sun was coming up.
Speaker 3: So it ended up working out.
Speaker 2: Fly Williams did, in fact end up committing to Leonard Hamilton at Austin p when he was an assistant back in nineteen seventy two. I think it was, so it paid off. But yes, he he waited all night for Fly Williams to get home, and it never happened, I guess, didn't come back till the next day. So in order to keep the mom engaged to where he could you know, keep her attention until his sun got home so he could recruit him, he turned the clocks back and manipulated the blinds to make sure she didn't you know how late it was actually getting. And hey, it paid off because Fly Williams you know, ended up having a you know, a really good career at at Austin p What do.
Speaker 4: You think ended up going wrong for Leonard Hamilton? He seems like, by all accounts, he's a good guy, a really fun storyteller. He was beating Patino, he had max number. He always got big athletic guys, so he had was it nil or just like the way that things have been done the last few years.
Speaker 2: You're right about him getting the best of some. I mean he was winning in the ACC when the ACC was in a great spot, right we used to hate playing, Yeah, I mean they were they were just I mean he had I feel like he had many teams where everybody was the same size, not even kidding. They had some teams right right towards the end of the mac era. I mean they always had like two three seven footers, but then they would have like one through four would all be like six seven and six nine between there, and they were really tough matchups physacal. I think what happened is really it's a product of the New World. But I think when you look at Leonard Hamilton and when he did get it rolling at Florida State, he had guys that had been there three four years, Like it was a system kind of thing. Scottie Barnes is the one guy that he got that was a phenom freshman that ended up being a one and done and he's a great player in the NBA. But the other guys that were really good for Florida State ended up playing there and developing under Leonard Hamilton to where they were physical. You know, they clearly had a system in place, and I just think with the portal that was, you know, he couldn't keep those guys and develop them. And really where it got really bad for him is the whole nil thing where he was out here telling players they were going to make this amount of money and obviously, you know, he's currently in a lawsuit with those players who were told by him that they'd be paid this and that, and yet it never happened.
Speaker 3: So really good coach, a guy who did it a long time.
Speaker 2: Seventy seven years old, he'll be in August, so he had a great career as a head coach. I mean, I don't remember him at Oklahoma State because I was young, but he was there, and did you know that he coached the I gotta be honest with you, I didn't realize that he coached Miami for ten years.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was at Miami for a while and made the tournament a bunch of years there and went to the Sweet sixteen, and then took the Florida State job in two thousand and two and did make an Elite eight, made a couple of Sweet sixteen. So was an assistant for Jobe Hall from seventy four to eighty. And that's one of those things that when you consider that he's been I mean, he's been coaching forever. I mean, he's seventy seven and he just told that story that he was an assistant at twenty three and you know, recruited the best player maybe that ever played at Austin p So he's been and he's been doing this a long long time. I knew that he was an assistant. A knew part of his story was that he was an assistant at Kentucky for Jobe Hall, because I remember whenever Leonard Hamilton brought his team in here a few years ago, right before joebe had passed, or I guess you know, a couple of years before that Jobe had passed, they got together and caught up and again I knew the connection, I knew the history. I didn't know that he was an assistant at Kentucky for twelve years. I mean, that's a long stretch to be an assistant coach. But hey, I mean you're at Kentucky, You're probably feeling like, hey, I'll wait it out till I get a really good opportunity. And he went from an assistant at Austin p for four years, then at Kentucky for twelve years, and then in eighty six is when he got his first opportunity to be a head coach at Oklahoma State and he's been doing it ever since. Had a stint in the NBA with the Wizards. Totally forgot about that, but yeah, hell of a career. And I think that job will have no problem finding a coach that can succeed there now making deep runs in the tournament. Who knows, But I mean I think there are a lot of coaches out there that have similar paths, similar resumes, really to I shouldn't say a lot, because I don't act like Mark Pope and Pat Kelsey.
Speaker 3: Those guys grow on trees. But I think you should be.
Speaker 2: Able to if you trust in your resources, your situation, you go hire a coach that has been able to succeed at a lower level and sustain that success. I mean, those are the kind of guys that think that could really thrive in this new world. All right, quick break, We got the five o'clock out coded up next, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety