Speaker 1: Are you been listening to to most of the Elizabeth Warren John Daton debate. I'm gonna give you my quick take on it, and then I'm gonna While i'm giving you my quick take, I want to hear from you. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. It was a pretty good debate. John, I think said it was an excellent debate. It was pretty good. I would say, uh, it was spirited, it was feisty. I think that Elizabeth Warren defended her her progressive democratic values pretty well. I think John Deaton criticized those values very effectively, and I think that this race might be a little tighter. I don't think that there was any sort of a huge mistake by either candidate, none that I could pick up on. We missed the first sadly, the first fifteen minutes of debate debate. I apologize for that. Those of you who might have heard something in the fifteen minutes while I was filling for time, feel free. I'm going to take a quick break. These lines are lighting up. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. What did you think? If you think there was a winner? Who do you think want and tell me why I'm not here to argue with you. I didn't hear the whole debate. I heard the final forty five minutes. So you have the advantage over me. Let's have at it right after this quick break here on Nightside. It's been an interesting night so far. You now will continue to make it very interesting.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when I joined and I heard them talking about abortion, very predictable. They were asked about cryptocurrency. Deaton is a big fan of cryptocurrency, and I think he's a free market guy. Senator Warren comes from the perspective of a command and control regulatory scheme. Again, Warren talks about all the consumer protection laws that we have, and yet how many of us are scammed. Government can't even stop us from getting these these phone calls. At dinner time, they talked about Israel. Deaton very supportive of Israel, accusing Warren of being more critical of Israel than she is of Hamas. And she sort of backed that up by saying she wants to stop the bombing, wants more humanitarian relief, doesn't say for whom all of us want the hostages release. Uh. And Deeton made the point that a run is closer to a nuke, and of course Warren said, well, if the Trump administration had followed through some again, I think that was an area where Deton did very well. Cost of housing. Warren describes that cost of housing, the way to get to resolve it is to pump a lot of money into it and build the government to build three million more housing units across the country. Those of you who have lived in government housing, you know how great that works out. Dayton, of course, wanted to close the borders. He feels that there's too many people here for economics one on one on the MCAST requirement, very predictable. Daton, who by the way, mispronounced the name Wellesley and referred to it as Wesley. That's a little bit of a full power on his part. Warren will vote yes to get rid of the MCST graduation requirement. Uh, she's with the teachers Union. You could have know that. Uh. And and Deaton said, no, we should, we should keep it. So you have some differences. I think it was I thought Dton did much better than I expected. I'm not going to say he won the debate. I don't think there was a winner. I think it was a good exchange of ideas. Uh. And and Deaton was pretty quick on his feet. Elizabeth Warren. Uh, that is what she's known for. She has her her talking points down and she she delivers them very effectively. Agn you have a liberal Democrat, a progressive Democrat, and and sort of a relatively middle of the road Republican. He certainly tries to take the abortion issue off the table because that hurts Republicans. There's no question about that. And so that's my take on it. I'd love to hear from you. Let's start it off with Dot and Medford. Dot. What'd you think tonight?
Speaker 3: Hey, Dan, I'll tell you Daton won this hands down. He got an A and she got an F because she's always the same. And you know, if you remember, she couldn't even win the presidency in this state.
Speaker 1: Remember, no, I remember it was not a very twenty twenty No, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Of course, she would say that the people of Massachusetts wanted to keep her in the Senate.
Speaker 3: Well, we can't have her in there for six more years. She's going to be in her eighties. Then we don't need this. We need to get a fresh guy. He looked good. He'd make a great senator. That's my take.
Speaker 5: That's my thank you for.
Speaker 1: Being as clear as you always are.
Speaker 5: Dot.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it so much.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, thanks, all right.
Speaker 1: I gotta keep rolling. I'm going to get as many people in as we can. All I gotta do is keep island. The only line open right now is six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. Uh, Nico in the thou and Nico next on nightside. How are you sir?
Speaker 5: Hi Dan? How are you sorry? I don't want to waste too much time. I really called it.
Speaker 1: You could say hi.
Speaker 5: Today because I want I wanted to talk about housing. But I you know, I really that m Cast thing. I actually I was. I took they had park back when I was in middle school. They were switching over from Mcast to Park. I don't know. But the point is I was, I was in fourth grade reading at a third grade reading level, right and I'm now at a I'm now in the second best college in the world. Babson. If anybody was curious, so the fact that the notion that.
Speaker 1: By the way, you're correct, a great school and people who graduate from Are you currently a student there.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I'm an I'm an honor student.
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell you something. It is a great it is a great college. And I'll tell you why. I believe that the starting of salaries for Babson graduates is the best in the country.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is. It's it's around seventy seventy seventy ballpark of seventy thousand plus and minus five. Yeah, okay, Well, besides, besides, besides MCAST, which I mean, I intend to vote in favor of keeping the MCAST standard. I believe Senator Warren vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a no vote. Yeah, I just want to be clara. Yeah, that's all, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, absolutely, thank you. I was actually unsure of myself whether no, but so thank you for But I wanted to talk about housing because I have a bit of an interesting insight into this. I actually and.
Speaker 1: By the way, John Beaker, Nick, not to interrupt you again, but I think I misspoke. I think it's question two. If I'm not mistaken, I don't have it in front of me. Someone can correct me on that. It is the m test, uh, and it is the Union wants to get rid of the the the graduation requirement, and so the union vote yes, and a lot of the business interests want you vote no. Go ahead. I'm gonna qu keep quiet. Go ahead. I apologized, you.
Speaker 5: Know what you're You're I don't. I don't want to mislead people, either whether you intend to vote yes or no. But I wanted to talk mainly about housing because I actually go to Washington, d C. I've had the opportunity to on behalf of the Massachusetts chapter of the National Associational home Builders. And you know, I am a Republican. I will say that, so I'm going to discredit myself. And I'm also gonna say this. I've talked to Laurie Trahan. I've talked to Jake Auchincloss. I've talked to Paul Keat and Jim McGovern, I mean, Stephen Lynch. I talked to all the Democrats. I really would tell you if Democrats were four housing Elizabeth Warren, we don't even take a meeting with her because it's not worth our time, all right. The notion that you can build a house in mass is chuses for one hundred and eighty thousand dollars ladies and gentlemen is the most absurd notion in the world, all right, And the lie that she just proposed that that they're going to be able to do that, I never mind building a house. Whoever built that plan should be anywhere near a house, because that's so it's so palpably false. You really, when Dayan said it takes six hundred thousand dollars to get started on building a house and then it takes another two years to get all the permitting processes, He's on the money. I'm going to say this right now. I've lobbied for housing policies. He's it's just the it's Swiss cheese. Her plan is Swiss cheese Dan, and I couldn't. I couldn't let her get away with saying that without at least trying to tell people that she's on this issue. I mean, I know twenty years ago she wented a documentary and talked about how greedy banks were before the two thousand and eight crash on this issue and this issue alone, which and I'm the question was kit was coined by a kid who wants to live in the Bay State and all that I'm that kid. I didn't write that question. But I'm him. I want to live here, but I can't because it's about seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars for a ranch that fixs a rupper. So just this, this this idea that she can say something as absurd as that, I think it shows the lack of the lack of intuition and the lack of knowledge that he has about this subject. I mean, she could say thirty mayors. I mean, really, thirty mayors. Even if you get this stuff in front of in front of a town meeting or in front of a city councilor they're gonna, they're gonna. I'm gonna tell you right now, there's gonna be at least ten to fifteen, depending on the side of the town, there's gonna be done at least ten to fifteen residents to go in front of it and say, this is a this is a massive developer who's gonna ruin the land. They're gonna ruin everything else. There's a there's this permissive attitude of not in my backyard in this state that is permeated throughout residential communities across this state that has inhibited the building industry from doing anything and Elizabeth Warren, for some reason, even though she claims to be the champion of working people, has stood idly by and dismissed the mere and absolute attitude that exists in the state currently. So I I that's that's the main reason I called today, and I want to thank you for allowing me to talk.
Speaker 4: Thank you day.
Speaker 1: So I assume you're not voting for Elizabeth Warren.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not. I should have. I should have, Claire, I should have clarify, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not clear for the context of the reports. Thanks, thanks you much, great night, Thank you, Thank you. Six ten thirty, triple eight nine to nine, ten thirty. The only line is open right now six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty. We're gonna go next to Alex in Abington, Massachusetts. Alex, you and next one Nightsiger right ahead.
Speaker 4: Hi, Dan, thank you so much for having me on. I honestly, I think tonight it was it was very very clear to any Massachusetts voters that John Deaton is the right man for the job for Massachusetts US Senate. See the biggest takeaway from me. There are two things. Number One, that John Deaton is the embodiment of the American dream, pulling yourself up from the bootstraps. Elizabeth Warren, you know, she's an establishment person. She is, and she she has done absolutely nothing for Massachusetts. I mean, just look at the reaction on her face every single time she had the same talking points that she had in twenty eighteen and twenty twelve, and actually to clarify on something that in twenty eighteen she called born burned. So I mean, people make mistakes.
Speaker 1: No, no, I understand that. But guess what I just I strive to be fair. Okay, Oh yeah, absolutely of Elizabeth Warren. Okay, but if yeah, he called Wellesley Wesley, I you know again, I look, oh yeah, gotta be fair. I'm like an umpire. Okay, if the pitch is on the quarter strike, if it's off the plate, I'm calling it go ahead.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely no. And the last thing, Dan that you know, I've advocated for survivor and victim legislation here in Massachusetts, younger and the biggest takeaway from me was when John Deaton asked Elizabeth Warren point blank about how she sat there during a Senate hearing and did not ask any questions of people who let sex, who who allowed sex crimes to happen to children, for women to be raped, you know, John Daton being a rape victim, myself as a rape victim, I was disgusted that she completely ignored the question. John Keller did not ask for a follow up on that with her. He did, however, she asked her in that response, she did ask him a question, and John Keller said, okay, you know, John Daton, please answer the question. No. The biggest takeaway, you know, she wants to say she's a champion for women, she's a champion for minorities. I as an LGBTQ person, she says she's a champion for LGBTQ people. John Deaton was supportive of marriage equality before, long before she was, back when she was a Republican, you know in Oklahoma. She the fact that she couldn't couldn't, couldn't answer the question why she didn't hold people who abused children and let money let money control children, and and and people who let sex crimes go throughout this entire country is appalling. She should never hold elected office ever. Again. That for me is for her to say she's.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, I got it. Alex. First of all, what happened to you is terrible. Uh, you sound to me like you have recovered it, meaning you sound extraordinary. I can't imagine if what happened to you happened to you have to be quite a person to be able to deal with that. Get get it, you know, get it behind you. And look, I just want to say thanks for having the guts to call in and express yourself. It was very Have you called my show before?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I haven't.
Speaker 1: Well what you do is you do a little little applause for first time callers. And I really hope that you will call more often or call often. And I just you know, I stand in awe of people who have overcome and I mean this when I talk about people who have overcome addictions, which in some cases you know, you know it can be that can kill you. You overcall, You overcame a set of experiences which never you never should have been subjected to. But it sounds to me like you were, you were on solid footing right now and you you you just really do. Uh. Everybody should understand how how much you must have struggled with what was imposed upon you against your will. And I just I just want to congratulation and I hope you become a regular caller to this program because I need voices like yours.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you Dan. No, I mean, I wouldn't be alive here today if it weren't from my my wonderful family and friends and actually my state representative Alison Sullivan Almita. She's she's been absolutely fantastic. But I'm surrounded by blessings. So no, thank you, thank you, Dan, and I'll definitely be calling in more.
Speaker 1: Thank thank you so much, Alex appreciate the call, and again, congratulations, Thank you. Well, I'll tell you when you hear other people what they have been doing here in Massachusetts. You know, I mean when I heard that last question, that is uh, you kind even a PCP in Massachusetts takes a up to a year. I mean, that's insane, that's absolutely insane. We're gonna take a break. We will continue with our conversation and our calls. I want to get your reaction to the debate. Whether you watched it on Channel thirty eight, it should have been on Channel four. I will say that, and I think that when Channel four has a debate of that magnitude, I say the management and Channel four made they made a decision. They made a decision not to interrupt their regularly scheduled programming. That's what that's all about. That debate should have been broadcast on Channel four. It was obviously on Channel thirty eight, but it should have been seen by a wider audience. We'll take it. We'll come right back here at Nightside.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Way live from the Window World, Nice Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, I have any corna Valley who is called back in Amy. I'm going to jump into the head of the line. Rob will bring you up here. I thought that John Dayton did a very good job tonight. What was your reaction.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought that John had a fantastic performance. And I agree with your last comment, Dan, that about this really should have been on Channel four versus Channel thirty eight. You know, this is, you know, really in the public interest to see a US Senate debate that the person will serve for the next six years. So I really felt that that it should have been on Channel four. And for those who tuned in and watched, I know most of your listeners did, I think they really stopped saw a strong debate focused on policy issues. I thought the debate about the border was particularly important. I also caught I don't know if you've talked about this yet, but I caught a moment where Senator Warren talked about it takes quote taking the seat away from me and and I thought back to the debate between Martha Buckley, yeah, and and Scott Brown, when, of course Martha Cokeley referred to it as the Kennedy seat, and you know, Scott Brown, you know, kind of infamously at this point, said no, you know, it's the people's seat.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say infamously, I'd say it famously. I think it was the right thing to refer to it, and I think it helped.
Speaker 6: Him exactly, and it exactly helped him. And I thought back to, you know, it's kind of a similar attitude by Martha Cokeley then in Senator Warren now referring to the seat as kind of their seat or an individual seat.
Speaker 4: And of course it's not not an individual seat.
Speaker 6: It is the people's seat, and the people have a right to select who serves in that seat.
Speaker 1: And you know, this is I miss I missed the first amy. I must admit to you, I missed the first fifteen minutes because we had a little bit of a problem connecting with the audio, so I was sort of vamping for fifteen minutes. So I don't know what was the first question out of the box. I don't know exactly how they started the thing that.
Speaker 6: I think the first question was related to immigration, because.
Speaker 1: We came in when when when abortion was being discussed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I believe the first question was immigration, and they spent some time talking about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure they hit They each hit their their talking us. I thought Datan was very strong, particularly for somebody who had never been I think he'd never run for office before. I thought he represented himself very well tonight. Whether or not that, you know, makes him a winner on November fifth, it's up to the voters at this point, but he acquitted himself very well tonight, I thought, Yeah, I agree, I agree, Amy, Thanks for being with us earlier. Thanks for getting for coming back tonight. I have full lines of going to get back to all those callers as well. So far, it's been a very positive reaction from my listeners to to your candidate's performance. Thanks again, Amy, talks soon. Thank you, Okay to all of you in the line. Donna in Northborough Logan, John, Johnny, Kevin. I'm going to go right back to the calls immediately right after of the ten o'clock news, and all of you will will be the first set of callers up. So please, one of you just dropped off, so I have one line at six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Let's let's talk about this debate. It's it's it's an it look Senate. Senate elections don't come along that often, and this one, now, I think it's a it's a bit of an election tonight. Certainly Elizabeth Warren would have to be the prohibited favorite in a or the favorite in a democratic state. But I think John Deaton had a very respectable performance tonight, and I think I'm understanding it when I say that we'll take a break, coming right back here at Night'side. Please stay with us. We will talk about this for as long as we want. I'd love to hear from any of you in all of you back on Nightside right after this