Speaker 1: Get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six euro like our delicious spicy salami hot honey, and do you or Margarito wood fired pizzas served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like sea salta caramel or pistachio for dessert. Can't argue with that shop in store or online. Tesco Every Little helps available in most stores. Prices vary in express.
Speaker 2: Mum, why did they call it Scottish cheese?
Speaker 3: It's cottage cheese, honey. And I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Did dogs in other countries speak different languages?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so. Well when we get there, well, we've got to fix the car first, but there's someone coming to help us.
Speaker 2: Is it the man from Geneva?
Speaker 3: Not Geneva, he's from a Viva. Oh there's a van now.
Speaker 5: For car insurance with breakdown rescue, it takes a Viva visit Aviva.
Speaker 6: Do I eat to say?
Speaker 5: Fifteen percent acceptance criteria terms and conditions apply. Minimum premium of three hundred and ten year old fifteen percent discant applies to new policies bott online. See Aviva dotta E for details. Car insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Arland duc Aviva Direct Arland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Speaker 6: Oh hi, okay, it's twenty twenty four. Alley here jumping in to say this is an absolute fan favorite episode of Ologies. It's also a me favorite one. It was a while in the making and it's a perfect time a year to serve it up on a doorly for you. And since we've recorded this three years ago, this guest, Alexis Nelson aka Black Forager, and I have gotten to meet in real life. We've become pals and when she's in LA we hang out and she's just as much of a gem as you think in person. She's also an ologite and she texted me last week after our Columbiology episode about pigeons to say that it's nudged her toward considering becoming a pigeon parent herself. Also, since this episode aired, Alexis has launched a TV show called Crash Course Botany, which you can find on peb Yes also at the end of this episode, I added a new secret which contains the reason why this isn't encore this week, and a special perk for patrons coming up in a few days. Okay, wow, I just love this episode and this guest all right, Oh hey, it's your friend's Kat who just had a six hundred dollars hairball. Alli Ward back with an outdoorsy quite frankly a scrumptious episode of ologies. So this ologist, we're gonna get right to it. Studied both science and performance at Ohio State University, you know, but the role most know her in is teacher of the can I eat this? It grew in my driveway arts and Sciences. So she has a million, a literal million TikTok watchers who just eat up her lessons on making violet simple syrup and magnolia cookies and garlic mustard pesto and more. And I have had so many of y'all begging me to have her on that when I DMed her, honestly, I was shocked to get a response. This woman is busy. So we recorded this right as April was turning to May, and since it's still spring and things are still blooming and shooting and crawling from the ground. It's time to grab a basket and see what's for dinner. But we also talk about year round edibles. We're going to get into it. But first, thank you to all the patrons who said to their questions you can become a patron for a dollar a month a dollar a month at patreon dot com slash Ologies. Thank you to everyone rating and subscribing to the podcast. Thanks to everyone who leaves such nice reviews, keeping Ologies in the top five science podcast globally, which is bananas. I read all the reviews and each week I pick a fresh one, and this week it's from for the Earth, who wrote I hope I hear you read it.
Speaker 4: Ali.
Speaker 6: Thank you Ali and team for truly some of the best content available. Thank you for the Earth. Also, we got a rare two star review this week from p Jester, who said that they do not like my voice and I am a woman that's a problem for some people. But thank you so much for the feedback. And there's actually a secret about my voice at the end of the episode, which you might already know. But anyway, thank you everyone else for all the loving and very lovely reviews, Except for b Jester who's probably not listening, and that's a okay, thanks everyone for leaving them anyway, Okay, foraging ecology. Foraging comes from a root for hay or straw or fodder, and then it evolved to mean hunting about for edibles, and ecology comes from the same root as ecology for the place we live and our relationship to our environment, So foraging for the things around us. Now for breakfast side note, I just want you to know that I ate some low quots that I stole from a friend's tree. She didn't even know she could eat them. She thought they were ornamental. So we're doing a good job today. Anyway, Pull up a stump and lean in for a bounty of information on edible versus poisonous plants, taproots, blossoms, tinctures, brews and stews and cookies and cocktails and hikes and eating invasive species, some dog pee talk, the best guide books, and how gathering what grows around us is a radical act. For Internet hero and teacher Autodideck wild food Maker and your gathering guide. You know her on TikTok and YouTube and Instagram as a black forager. Alexis Nicole Nelson.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited to be talking to you. Hello. My name is Alexis Nicole Nelson, and my pronouns are she her hers, And my cat just clawed me in the butt. No, the time we're having.
Speaker 6: Already get him on the mic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey Aussie, you have words to say, use your words.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, people have been asking me for so many months to get you on this podcast. When you wrote back, I was thrilled. I've been wanting to do this topic for a while, which would be foraging ecology, I believe right, Yes.
Speaker 4: Foraging ecology, I think is the ology that we settled on for this.
Speaker 6: Yes, it works, It totally works. Your TikTok's amazing and informative and you're so prolific and it's so great. At what point were you like, Okay, it's time the world needs to know what they can eat in their backyards.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've honestly felt that way ever since I was really little. I guess I just didn't have the tools to tell anybody outside of my parents, family members, friends, anyone who I could get to listen to me in persons, Do.
Speaker 6: You remember what the first thing you ate out of the ground and were you safe was it dangerous?
Speaker 4: The first thing I remember eating out of the ground, I must have been about five years old, and I was helping my mom in the garden in our house, in our old house in Cincinnati, and she pointed out some grass but it looked different from other grass, and she broke it and it smelled delicious, like it smelled like onions and garlic. And she's like, oh, yeah, it's onion grass and it's edible, but it's like not as good as the onions in the garlic that we get from the store. And if you tell a five year old that something is edible, then they're going to put it in their face and they're going to get really excited about it. So I did, and it just kind of ignited a gentle obsession, a lifelong love.
Speaker 6: Where did you get a lot of your information? Did you start getting for your sixth birthday? Did you get an encyclopedia of edible herbs? How did the information dump start?
Speaker 4: Well, my answer to that question is yes, But for my eighth birthday.
Speaker 6: Oh got it got it little late late bloomer, late bloomer.
Speaker 4: I know, Oh my gosh, I was so late to the game. I just I inhaled all of my mom's books on gardening. My mom had like an entire shelf our house dedicated to just for gardening books. And yeah, I'd say by the time I was eight or nine, I had read each of them front to back. Was like trying to memorize every single one of the trees and flowers and herbs present in them. And when I was done with those, I bought more. Every weekend, my parents used to let me go to this independent bookstore in Cincinnati, Joseph Beth after we'd go out to dinner, and they'd be like, Okay, you get one book, and it'd be really hard for me to choose between oh gosh, whatever fantasy novel I was obsessed with at the time, or a plant book.
Speaker 6: When it came time to figuring out your life's course, did you want to stick with botany? Did you decide to go more of a business route. I know that you have been like a social media manager, which explains another reason why you're like so good at TikTok. You're a professional, But what did you decide when it came to figuring out, you know, career.
Speaker 4: I think I'm still deciding every time, I have to remember that I'm a real adult. I'm just like, oh oh yeah, twenty eight is real. I can't fudget anymore. Definitely a full, full, full blooded adult now. Growing up in the fourth grade, when we had to draw what we wanted to be when we grew up, I said that I wanted to be a geneticist by day in a pop star by night.
Speaker 6: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like this is closer than anybody myself included, thought I was going to get with kind of melding this aspect of performance, which I've always loved, like right hand in hand with like my love of plants has been my love of entertaining people. And when it came time to choose what I was going to major in in college, I was like, pretty gifted in math and science. But I was also like, pretty gifted in theater. But nobody tells you to major in theater. Even when you're really good at theater, no one tells you to go in major. So everyone was like, oh my gosh, you're a woman of color, you're good at math, you're good at science. If you don't become an engineer, what a waste? And I didn't know if I wanted to be an engineer, but I did know that I didn't want to be a waste. So I applied to all of my schools as an engineer, got accepted to Ohio State as an environmental engineering major.
Speaker 6: On the first day of her schooling as an environmental engineer, the dean addressed the students just to tell them that most people will quit the program about half, which is about as opposite of a pep talk as you can possibly get, like, welcome, this is going to suck, You'll hate my program. Attrition perhaps should not be something to brag about, but what do I know.
Speaker 4: And I've always loved the pursuit of knowledge, but I've always when some sort of like very competitive aspect has been thrown into it. So needless to say, I had a rough time my first year in engineering school, so rough that I took a semester off to kind of get my head right and decided that I did love math and science, but that I also loved writing. I also loved performing, So I came back and focused on both environmental science because I didn't take all of that calculus and physics and chemistry for nothing. But then I also went and got a theater degree and took like master's classes in playwriting, put on a one woman show. Before I graduated, wrote a couple of short plays. So I feel like everything I'm doing right now makes sense and in terms of where I see it going in the future, any opportunity that I get to talk to large groups of people about the value in the green spaces around them, that's how I would define the career that I want to see myself in at any given time during the rest of my life. And if that's as a TikToker, that's great. If that's oh my God, on a TV show, Hey PBEs, that's great too. If it's writing field guides and books, that's great too. I just this is what fills my cup, and this is the type of thing that even when I'm working really hard, it doesn't feel like work.
Speaker 6: Did you ever think that you'd have a million people tuning in to watch you make pesto?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Never, never, in a million years. I made my foraging account on Instagram originally because I was annoying my friends with the plants I was eating.
Speaker 6: They were like, we don't want to hear about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, They're like, no, thank you. So I was like, okay, cool, I'll just make like a fence, but just for the wild things that I put on my plate. Now I feel like my Now, I feel like my personal account is my finstuh a switch to Rooney that I never in a million years what have.
Speaker 6: Called so side note, a Finsta for those of us not born in the nineties, is a fake Instagram or an alternative handle that's not like one that your boss follows or something your followers would find off brand. So perhaps it's the real you which makes me want to sit on a rock and ponder, am I living my most Finsta life in the out, in the open?
Speaker 4: And why not?
Speaker 6: Anyway, Alexis had an underground passion for plants, and at the start of the pandemic, she posted something to her TikTok about foraging if you couldn't get to the store during the first few weeks of the COVID lockdown, and she posted it. She woke up to tens of thousands of views, and suddenly people were smitten not only with her plucky delivery but her extensive botanical knowledge. So millions of views later, she's really opened up people's eyes and noses and mouths to edibles that we walk right past all the time, all year round. It's been really cool to see the seasons change and to see different things that you're harvesting and per simmons and then going into blossoms and stuff. When it comes to keeping yourself educated, are you looking things up before you're foraging? Are you already familiar with them? Does it really depend on the region, Like how are you keeping all of this knowledge? How often do you have to kind of sharpen those tools?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's constantly a process of sharpening. And the more you interact with a certain plant, just like the more you interact with certain people, you get to know them better, you know their nuances better, you know when to expect them. So there's definitely a swath of plants that I've worked with for a really long time. I know when to expect like apples and all of the other like rose family trees to start blooming. I know when dandelions are coming up. I know when violets are coming up. But there are definitely plants that I'm a bit newer to that I have to go and do a little bit of digging, a little bit of reading or my favorite. I see that someone else in one of the regional foraging Facebook groups that I'm in is posting about them, and I'll be like, oh, I did not know that we were already in col parsnip season. I did know we were already in cal parsnipseason. That's just the first plant that came to my head.
Speaker 6: Of course, should you also more on those densely hairy perennials later.
Speaker 4: And that's been wonderful, is being able to have that community to always come back to. But I'm always rereading all of my foraging books, all of these poor books. Their covers are just bent as all get out, because whenever I have some free time, or if it's before bed, I'll just flip one open do a little bit of reading. I feel like I noticed something new every single time I read one of my foraging books, so it makes sense to go back over them again. And it's just like when you're in school, like you have to keep practicing or you use it, use.
Speaker 6: It or lose it. Is the tldr's Maybe you don't know what TLDR means, and that's fine. It stands for too long, didn't read I see why am I in case you missed it. So Alexis is schooling us on Internet culture at large as well as precious overlooked botany. Okay, question that's on my mind a lot when I watch your chicktox. How do you know if something's peed on it?
Speaker 4: I do snatch because if it smells like fresh p that's just like not appetizing at all. The answer to this question, and I know Ali that it is not the answer that anybody wants, is if it's out in a green space, odds are at some point in time, and that green spaces passed probably in the last year. Something has peed there.
Speaker 6: That's a very good point. Even tiny little invertebrates they're making pea all the time, and they're doing it on a romaine lettuce that we're buying from the store. Everything's being on everything. There are things in us right now peeing on each other exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: It's the circle of p And that's my thing that I always love reminding people is that the farms that we get our groceries from do not exist in a microcosm either. You don't know how many field mice peeed on your kale. You should wash everything you take home, whether you pulled it out of the ground yourself or if someone else did.
Speaker 6: Very good point.
Speaker 4: I just try and I try to help people kind of put that out of their mind. Now. Of course, there are some areas that I avoid because they get peed on more often than others. And that is what I call the dog p zone, which I would say is like a solid foot foot and a half into anyone's lawn that is on the sidewalk. Probably best to just leave that be.
Speaker 6: I bet there's someone out there forging a college is getting their PhD. And like the concentration of urea with certain feet of a sidewalk, there's got to be.
Speaker 4: There has to be, and if there's not, that's a good reason to go back to school. Yeah, I personally need.
Speaker 6: I know, my tiny dog she's got like the perimeter of lawns absolutely covered. That's a huge weight off my mind. I love foraging. I've always thought it's so fascinating. And one thing I I'm so curious about, like, what is something that you tasted that you weren't sure if you were going to dig it at all and it was just delightful.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a fun one. I would say cal parsnips. They are in the carrot family, which is famous for having some of like the best wild edibles, but also fas for having some very deadly lookalikes to those same wild edibles. I've been eating Queen Anne's lace for a really long time. I think I figured out that Queen Ann's lace was wild carrots Doccas carota when I was in high school. And it like blew my mind because where my family stays in Massachusetts, there's queen ants lace everywhere, and I'm like, you mean, I could have been just digging this up this entire time. So cow parsnip is also in the apaca family. It's also called pushki.
Speaker 6: Okay, so quick aside. These plants are not another Internet acronym. Apaca is a full word. It's just a long Latin one for a family of flowering plants. What are some other apaca plants? Celery, carrot, parsley, dill, human annis. So many apaca plants have already made it into your mouth area, but some of them are in the not to be messed with category because they are straight up poison like hemlock, or are highly phyto phototoxic, which means plant in light makes bad, so think skin blisters that require medical attention and a lot of well justified moaning and pouting. But cow parsnip is safe. However, it doesn't always look like it.
Speaker 4: A lot of indigenous people's ate it, still eat it for a millennia, but it's dangerous. Look like is giant hogweed, which has been in the news off and on in certain areas of the country because it's super invasive and it's super dangerous cervi degree burns if you interact with the sap while the sun is out dangerous. We love a fido chunksin.
Speaker 6: I mean, you gotta give it to the plants. They figured it out.
Speaker 4: You do, and everyone gets really mad at them, and I'm just like, well, if it makes you feel any better, don't take it personally, because we're not who they did that for. The insects are. It's not for you. You're not out to get us. They're out to get the small crunchy boys. Don't take it personally if you get burned. Cow parsnips giant hogweed leaf shapes are super similar. The difference is cow parsnips get to be like is six feet maybe even like seven or eight feet tall max giant hogweed could end up being like just a sixteen foot tower of doom.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, they don't call it giant for nothing.
Speaker 4: I believe the species name is like mega gigantium. It's I believe, a derivative of the Latin word for humongous, and it makes sense. Hal parsnip was one of those that I had heard so many good things about it. But it's really hard, even when you are so confident in your ability to ib plants to get over like the hump of the point zero zero one percent chance that's like mortal danger.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Is there an identification trick for some of the more dangerous plants, like between giant hogweed and wild carrots? Is there something you can look for, like a purplish a ring at the top, or something discerning like that.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you called out purple because I love how often purple is the color of dinger.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Nature. Yeah, when it comes to differentiating Queen Ann's lace and poison hemlock, purple is actually one of the identifiers. The purple splotches that you will see on poison hemlock, but you will not see on Queen Ann's lace wild carrots for col parsnips versus giant hogweed. Cal parsnips have this like very fine kind of fuzz all over them, and these really cute papery sheets over their leaves before the leaves go ahead and shoot out. Also, their leaves are very even in their serration, whereas giant hogweeds leaves similar shape, irregular serration, which I feel like makes sense. Chaos means bad, organ means good. And there are a couple other tells to like the hollowness of the stem on cow parsnips. But the moral of the story is I baby set a stand of cow parsnips for a full calendar year to watch it go through its entire life stickle where I finally ate some last year.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, that is an investment of time. Did it pay off?
Speaker 4: It did? Oh my gosh, absolutely delicious. The fried flower buds right before the flowers open, especially, are just a taste to behold. Behold this first sight, still a taste to behold. And the leaves are this other beautiful and aromatic this time of year, a little bit reminiscent of celery, which makes sense another abaca family member, also a little reminiscent of almost like coriander, and a little bit of burnt orange giness, which becomes much more prominent in their seeds later on in the season. So absolutely worth it. I just made a flat bread with some cow partonate leaves diced him too. The dough just yesterday A plus A plus nice, A plus ten out of ten would recommend to a friend. My caveat is if you were going to harvest it, I don't know, maybe babysit it for a year to make sure that you're not gonna get a burn and be very sad, and also only harvest from healthy stands of it. The stand that I harvest from has doubled in size year over year, two years in a row. It's the only reason why I feel comfy harvesting from it.
Speaker 6: Ah, do you ever take people with you and give up your spots? Or how protective of certain plants are foragers?
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my gosh. It really does depend on the plant. There's a handful of people who I've taken to some of my like my secret spots, some of my you know, this time of year there's ramps and cut leaf toothwort as far as the eye can see, kind of spots.
Speaker 6: Side note, what are ramps? Despite sounding like a disease you get from a dirty hot tub, ramps are just an oniony, leaky type of scalion oniony type of plant, only they're free if you find them. And also trendy and cut leaf toothwort, which sounds like another affliction. It's a wasabi horse radishye tasting plant that has gonzha looking leaves and little pinkish flowers. Also, did you know that wort means root, so tooth warped plants have roots that look like discarded teeth. So never let anyone tell you that science isn't goth.
Speaker 4: I'm not crazy possessive over any of the spaces because none of them belong to me. Yeah, and it's just it's not worth getting all riled up about because somedays someone's gonna find out about it. The only experience I've had with something that I tried to keep secret and then the beans got spilled but not by me is the persimon tree near my house, a sweet, curious soul using eye naturalists last summer probably looked up and said, oh, my god, this tree is full of these adorable, cute, little green fruits. I'm going to figure out what it is. I naturalists, being the great app that it is, immediately was like, ooh, Diosphiro's Virginiana. Congratulations you found there, And so they tagged it. And now I am not the only person who visits that tree during the fall and winter, and that's okay.
Speaker 6: Do you ever see anyone else rolling up with a basket and are you're like, oh, hello, oh, hello, hello.
Speaker 4: Oh I've just missed people before. I've seen people like taking their plastic bag and like hopping into their car and driving away right as I'm walking up with my bag. Uh huh, And I'm like, oh, no, friend, come back.
Speaker 6: So forgers make friends. Just respect the supply, and no one will have to grapple sweat soaked on a lawn for a handful of percimons. So the first rule of forger club is not don't talk about forger club. Let's say that you're a baby forager and you're just starting. You're inspired by someone with amazing energy and knowledge on TikTok, and you decide I'm going to start eating my neighborhood where do you think is a good place to start or like dandelions and entry level, what do we got?
Speaker 4: Ooh? I would say dandelions are an excellent entry level edible, not just because they are almost universally recognizable, but because every single part of the plant is useful. You can eat the flowers, you can pickle the flower stems, you can eat the greens ooh. You can ferment the greens, making like a sour kraut with dandelion young yum, yum, very tasty. The taproots you can go ahead and like dig it up and either eat it like a root veggie. Know it's a little it's a little bit bitter, So a lot of people will roast it and grind it into a coffee substitute or dice it, roast it and then throw it into some alcohol tomass rate to make bitters. Oh, plant is useful. So I feel like that's a great gateway plant because if you have fun with that, odds are you will have fun with more of them in terms of other really easily recognizable ones. And I think this accidentally ended up being a gateway foraging plant for a lot of folks. Are magnolias, so many of us have Magnolia's planet as ornamentals in our neighborhoods. They're one of those plants that, for whatever reason, a lot of us know the names of. And those white and pink flowers if we're talking about like saucer, magnolias are so recognizable, so hard to confuse with anything else, because I mean, Magnolia's as a genus are very unique flowers. That's what happens when you decide to push paws on evolution a couple million years ago, That's why. And so that one's been a really great one too. And to see so many people going out and gathering them and making magnolia syrups and making the magnolia snap cookies was so exciting. We all know that magnolias smell amazing, but did you know that their petals kind of taste ginger? So we're gonna do a play on a ginger snap cookie. It's a Magnolia snap cookie. Flower work cookie, Flow work.
Speaker 6: Cook Also side note, if you're not on TikTok, don't freak out, don't worry about it. Check out Black Forager on YouTube, where Alexis has posted a ton of recipes, including one for Magnolia Cookies, uploaded about a month or two ago, and I was just over on this videos page to grab that sound bite, and then I read the description and I had to include this. So in the description, alexis rites. I'm super proud of these cookies, and not just because they passed the taste test with my partner's family, but because a year ago, I don't think I would have felt confident creating a cookie recipe on my own. And as I found myself sitting on the couch this afternoon smelling like nothing but Magnolia flowers and warm sugar, I realized, I am quite happy with who I am right now. But yes, her TikTok Instagram YouTube I'll have great recipes and the same handle at Black Forager and she has recipes including ones for dandelions and Magnolia's Easy Gateway foraging plants.
Speaker 4: So those would be my two recommendations off the top of my head if you are in the Midwest or along the East coast like I am. Papas are another great one, Asamina cherloba, but it is not poppa season yet.
Speaker 6: What is a papa?
Speaker 4: Oh? So, Papas are the largest native fruit to North America if you're if you're not counting, squashed squash are really cool too.
Speaker 6: Okay, but back to papa's, which look like if green potatoes grew on trees. But what do they taste like?
Speaker 4: They taste as if a mango and a banana had a baby. If you get a good one, I'm going to give that paveat because last week a friend of mine pulled me aside and said, I don't know if I did something wrong, but I tried a pop paul last year and I didn't like it. And papas are a great adventure. They don't breed. True, it's very hard to assume how a papa from a certain tree is gonna taste until you're tasting it. But when you find good ones, oh body, they are fantastic. And they do look like little mangoes hanging out in the trees. The trees have these humongous, glossy, dark green leaves that make them very easy to recognize from a distance. Once you've seen one, you start seeing them everywhere if you live in a region that they're native too. And they are a fruit that did not develop for us. They developed for megafauna. They develop for giant slots to eat the fruit whole and poop out the seeds, but now we get to enjoy them, which is cool.
Speaker 6: That actually brings up the point of native and invasive species. Are we doing the earth amidstva by eating invasive species? And how do you find out in your region what's got to go and what's got to flourish?
Speaker 4: Oh? I absolutely think we're doing Mother Nature a solid by eating invasives, because eating them is much better for the environment than spraying them, which is what I see a lot of cities, towns, municipalities turning too when it comes to eradication of certain species. Two that come to mind for all of us kicking it on the eastern half of the United States are garlic mustard, which is very much in season in oh Gosh, pretty much early through late spring here in Ohio. Right now while we are recording this, it is flowering. So I'm just going through and picking the flower heads off of all of them that I see and bringing them home to have them for dinner, but mostly just because I don't want them to set seed, because they are very prolific spreaders. They are a non native brassica and Brassicas are just so good at their job, and their job is being spicy and spreading seeds.
Speaker 6: And what is a brassica, you ask? THAT'SI I'm here in Braska are things such as broccoli and cabbage and kale and rudebega and col robbie and Brussels sprouts and mustards. And the oil of the brassica seeds is where canola oil comes from. There's no such thing as a canola. The word just means Canadian oil low acid because it was invented in Canada. Jarrett, did you like what I told you all about that earlier?
Speaker 4: I loved it. I loved learning about Canadian oil, low acid cannol.
Speaker 6: There's no such thing as a canola. Okay. But back to yellow mustard flowers which bloom in early springtime in California, and everyone gets so hyped up about nature, not knowing that it's wildly invasive and may have been introduced by Spanish missionaries tossing it out like confetti on their path up the California coast. Mustard it's so good for Instagram pictures, but native plant enthusiasts are hey it hey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my gosh. If you are in California, Go find all of the mustard, pull it up, ate it, blanket, put it into pesto, put it in a pickle, the stems, all it.
Speaker 6: Get rid of it, eat it please.
Speaker 4: And I know here we also have Japanese not weed, which is a prolific spreader, and it is kind of becoming a scourge in a lot of areas in the Northeast. We'll just see towns just spray the worst kind of chemicals onto them because it's a very hardy species. It's very good at the game of survival. So you kind of got to drown it in a lot of things that are not good for the rest of the environment if you want to get rid of them. But what a joy it would be if instead, you know, in the spring, when they start putting all of their chonky little shoots up, people were just going through cutting them off or pulling them up and collecting them for people to eat.
Speaker 6: Eat that not weed. Northeast United States and actually every state it's up north Dakota, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Florida, and Hawaii who aren't yet overrun with it. If you're like, what is the not weed. Okay, So it's been in the US since the eighteen sixties when it was given to a nursery owner in New York, and now it's everywhere. Japanese not weed. Its root systems can span seventy feet. It grows up to one and a half stories tall eight inches a day, and it has these large green leaves and a bunch of little white flowers, and the stems look a little like bamboo, which is why it's called American bamboo. It's not bamboo, and in spring sprouts look like reddish asparagus. And it has a sour flavor or kind of lemone like rhubarb, which is where it got the nickname donkey rhubarb. Now, if you want to name your edm EP donkey rhubarb, think again, people, British electronica outfit AFX twin already beat you to it. Why Why does AFX twin care about donkey rhubarb? Because in England, if you have this invasive not weed on your property, banks might refuse to give you a mortgage because it's so robust and so hard to eradicate, and it ruins foundations of buildings and in prepping for the twenty twelve Olympics, London spent the equivalent of one hundred million dollars to get rid of Japanese not weed on ten acres one hundred million dollars ten million dollars an acre. Connecticut weed scientist Jatinder Alloc has said ominously there is no insect pest or disease in the United States. They can keep it in check. So what do you do? One make sure it hasn't been doused in herbicides and to eat it. It grows through the cracks in a lexusis deck.
Speaker 4: Because for a species that is very quickly changing the landscape on the outskirts of a lot of cities, it is delicious. It's very rhubarb esque, but slightly more vegetale than rhubarb. That being said, it does lend itself both sweet and savory so well. I made sorbet. Was it last year that I was obsessed with? I need to make it again this year for a class over the weekend. I did like a fun little sauteed grains and threw a couple of the shoots in and they just had a lot of lemony rightness to any dish. And when the shoots are young, and you cook them just right, they get kind of like melt in your mouth when you cook them. For my friends who do eat the eggs, I hear that they're a wonderful addition to an omelet. They're delicious, And what a joy it would be if we just suddenly had cities with armfuls truck falls of free lemony Japanese notweed shoots this time of year, instead of just going and like dousing them in herbicides.
Speaker 6: On the topic of herbosides, that's something I didn't even think of. But when you're foraging, is that something that you have to be more careful of than pea? And how do you go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm way more worried about herbicides that I'm worried about. Yeah, there are a couple of things that I tell people to look out for when they're foraging in urban spaces. I think some people don't realize how visually apparent it is when an area has been treated recently with herbicides. You will see like rings of discoloration around the very obviously sprayed weeds. So if you're looking at someone's lawn and it is otherwise like it's ninety eight ninety nine percent beautiful grass throughout the rest of the lawn. And you look around the fringes and you see some weeds doing their thing because they're they're hardy af and stubborn AF. You should probably stay away from those because the way that people get perfectly manicured monoculture lawns is help from herbicides. So those guys I typically leave alone. If you see any odd discoloration either on the plant or in a like little perimeter ring around the plant, leave it alone. Absolutely, any irregular wilton that you wouldn't expect to see this time of year, absolutely leave it alone. And just for the sake of things like runoff and whatnot to and exhaust. I give a pretty wide margin to stream that are wider than two lanes, and an even wider margin to railroads.
Speaker 6: Oh really because of a diesel engines?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh, I wasn't sure if it was that or just the you know, getting lost in a playlist, headphones on and just atitute you know, yis.
Speaker 4: That's and that's how we lost the forageer. Wow.
Speaker 6: So that when it comes to where you forage, how do you do it differently in the city versus if you're out on a hike and what kinds of stuff do you find in each place?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so in the city, it's going to be a lot more of the kind of classic quintessential weeds, the plants that like taking advantage of disturbed ground where they don't have to, you know, outcompete any of our other native species. So right now in the cities, I'm seeing a lot of Queen Anne's lace already putting up their new sets of leaves for the year, a ton of dandelions, a lot of clover, white clover, red clover, and now sweet clover is starting to show up to hang out, a ton of mugwart. I passed a couple very healthy stands of mug wart while I was on a walk around the neighborhood today. But I whibble be visiting this weekend because I'm in the mood for mugwort rested potatoes.
Speaker 6: So what does mugwort look like? Okay, I had to look it up. It's a member of the daisy family, so it's leaves look like daisy leaves, and it has clusters of these drooped bell buds at the tip of a stock. And mugwort can grow meters and meters high, and while scientists call it artemisia vulgaris, close friends call it riverside wormwood, felon herb old uncle Henry a naughty man, and I feel like I have to buy mugwart a beer to hear how it got those nicknames. But mugwort just means marshroot. And it's best to pick the leaves and buds between July to September, and you can season some meat with it. You can like a mochi dessert, or look into its medicinal purposes. And indigenous people in North America used mugwort for a wide variety of ills like pitstink to colds and flues, rousing folks from comas, and even inducing labor so ethno pharmacology episode, anyone, Yes, but yes. When this was recorded a few weeks ago, Alexis was planning to gather some mugwort and roast potatoes with it.
Speaker 4: Just a lot of the friends who you see enjoying spaces that maybe have been modified for something else. We have a couple empty lots in our neighborhood in which the ground was turned over before the winter, and now that ground is just covered in weeds, oh wow. Whereas if I'm in the forests right now or out in the woods, oh gosh, it's almost a completely different biome. We're still in the middle of spring ephemerals seasons. I'm seeing trout liies, trilliums, ramps, cut leaf two for Virginia bluebells. I'm starting to see pheasant back mushrooms, stir mushrooms, morals of course. And then you have a lot of the trees whose early leaves are edible starting to leave out, like your maples. You have pines, spruces, and furs putting out their new growth, and their needles are very soft right now and great to incorporate into meals too. So it's it's a fun game kind of having to change the mindset of what you're looking for depending on where you are. And I'm lucky that where I live here in Ohio, while I very much live in the city Columbus proper, I do not have to go very far to not feel like I'm in the city anymore.
Speaker 6: By the way, congratulations on your mushroom find. Thank you pretty big deal.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I know. I feel like morels are just like a badge of honor and the foraging community. I feel like I haven't been an official forager until.
Speaker 6: Now, I know. I saw that there are so many questions from patrons, and so many of them start off congratulations on the morale, like so many we're so thrilled for you. I was wondering, what percent of your diet do you think is foraged versus market?
Speaker 4: Ooh, I love this question because it varies a lot throughout the year, and we just finished the time of year where it's like maybe ten or like fifteen percent in the winter through early spring, and now I think we're kicking it up probably to closer around twenty five percent, just because there's not a whole lot of the high caloric value, high nutrition value plants out to play. But oh my gosh, once we get to late summer and into the fall, where it's like acorn season, pop pap season, hazel not season, person in season, that's the time of year where I can have entire days where everything that I'm cooking, with the exception of maybe a little bit of flour being thrown in or you know, an olive oil being added into a pan, is something that I foraged. So it very much fluctuates as we progress through the year.
Speaker 6: I have so many questions from listeners. I have thirty five pages of questions from listeners. Yeah, oh my gosh, thirty five pages of questions single space, So a lot of questions. So many people who just love you. I mean, I can't. I should just forward you all these questions. So if you're ever having any kind of bad day, Oh wow, people love you so much. Can I ask you some of their questions?
Speaker 4: Oh my, oh my gosh. Yes. Do we have time to go through all of them?
Speaker 6: I wish we did thirty five pages of questions. Okay, but before we start answering them, first, we're going to take a pit stop to donate some money to a charity of the ologist Choosing and this week Lexus chows Backyard Base Camp, which aims to inspire Black, Indigenous, and all people of color across Baltimore City to find nature where they are and empowers them to explore further. And Backyard Based Camp also offers garden consultations, educator training, habitat discovery programs, and more. And they're awesome. We've donated to them a few times in the past, so check them out and consider donating to that is backyard base camp dot org. And that was made possible by sponsors of the show, who you may hear about.
Speaker 1: Now get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Have the perfect night in with their finest frozen pizza meal deal. Get the finest frozen pizza, chips and ice cream all for six to zuo. Like our delicious spicy salami hot honey, and do youa or Margarito wood fired pizzas served up with their crispy chunkie chips and ice cream like Sea Salt de caramel or pistagio for dessert. Can't argue with that. Shop in store or online Tesco. Every little helps available in most stories, Prices varying express.
Speaker 2: Mom, why did they call it Scottish cheese?
Speaker 3: It's cottage cheese, honey. And I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Did the dogs in other countries speak different languages?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: Well when we get there.
Speaker 3: Well, we've got to fix the car first, but there's someone coming to help us.
Speaker 2: Is it the man from Geneva?
Speaker 3: Not Geneva, he's from a Viva. Oh there's a van.
Speaker 6: Now for car insurance with breakdown rescue. It takes a Viva visit a Viva dot AE to say fifteen percent.
Speaker 5: Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. Minimum premium of three hundred and ten year oh fifteen percent discant applies to new policies BottomLine. See Aviva dot I E for details. Car insurance is undwritten by a Viva Insurance Ireland DOC. Aviva Direct Arland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Speaker 7: Love m ands quality and value you can trust. At MNS you can update your home, your wardrobe and theirs with quality you can count on. There's the ultimate twelve euro les bras, the softest ever kid sweats from six Euro fifty, luxurious Egyptian cotton towels from eight euro twenty five, and so much more value you can trust only at MNS, shop in store or at Marks and Spencer Dote.
Speaker 8: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy save up to eight hundred and eighty you on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're a welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy Dot I E Board Gosh Energy, Know your Power.
Speaker 9: Estimating annual ability twenty six hundred and twenty nine Your new customers only thirshercentis Kentov Smart all day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of GASSI unitrates. Sportcusha Energy dot E for full ties and CS Okay.
Speaker 6: Let's rifle through a basket of your questions and then feast on her answers. Okay, two great questions. I really loved one from Leid Hodnet, who says it seems to me that it's important to keep in mind that there are respectful ways to forage, at least or should be. Are there guidelines for this and do these guidelines draw knowledge or inspiration from the indigenous people of the region you're foraging? Then, also says I feel like Native people are routinely harassed for performing traditional actions like foraging.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 6: White people get away with taking more than they need and seguiny. Dana says that she learned about plants and their medicinal values, among other things, from my parents. She and her dad are Panopscott and that knowledge has been passed down, but she is wondering kind of how you gain the knowledge to know you're not going to poison yourself because she trusts learning from elders more than books, because oh yeah, she would rather learn in the field, hands on. So yeah, any thoughts on kind of what you've learned from indigenous cultures and foraging.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I mean, that's the indigenous peoples of the Americas. That's like the crux of everything that foraging is here right now. Their knowledge is the foundation of the knowledge that everyone else has had the opportunity to interact with and build upon. I know Michael Twitty talks about this a little bit in his book The Cooking Gene, because a lot of enslaved black folks in the South foraged, but obviously the people who they got that information and that knowledge from were the indigenous people. So coming from my dad's side of the family, my dad mom hills from the Seneca up in like the New York area, but she passed away when my dad was in high school. So he got like bits and pieces and little like inklings about certain plants and certain foods, but not in the way that he wished she had. And honestly, he also knew a whole lot about plants. I'm very lucky that, as a person of color, both of my parents are very outdoorsy also got a lot from his dad's side of the family down in Mississippi, from bits of information that they had been passing through the generations since they had been enslaved there. So yeah, of course I feel like some in like some way or another, every single one of us who's talking about foraging in North America is only doing so because of the generosity with knowledge of the indigenous people who now, yeah, do not get to continue some of those practices and some about land stewardship. That is the whole reason why this nation looked the way that it did period. I honestly feel like we need more Indigenous voices front and center when it comes to foraging here in the United States, because while I like to think that I know a whole lot about foraging in a way that preserves for not just me next year, but me in ten years, and children in twenty years and their children in fifty years, sixty years, I know that I don't know everything.
Speaker 6: Alexis notes that we could do an entire series of episodes on the role of Indigenous land stewardship before colonization, and this field does have an ology environmental anthropology for the proof that I will make this podcast until I die because there are so many good ologies, so please just get used to me, friends. Oh and twenty twenty four me again. So we actually have done some really great episodes since we recorded this. We have an indigenous wildfire ecology episode with doctor Amy Christensen about land stewardship, and an indigenous colonology episode with Mariah Gladstone, who's awesome of Indigena Kitchen, and a really great indigenous phytology episode about ethnobotany with doctor Lee Joseph of Squalin Botanicals. We also have an indigenous pedology episode about soil science with doctor Lydia Jennings, and of course the biology episode about moss with the legend doctor Robin Wall Kimmerer, author of Braiding Sweet Grass. And yeah, we will link all of those in the show notes My friends. Speaking of friends, first time question asker Alexander Holland rode in to say, quote, I love Alexis so much, I'm going to die of excitement. And Alexander wants to know how do you use foraging to connect to other people? And to yourself and Constantine gutnachenkos. Are there any clubs that I can join?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 6: Yes, do forgers hang out together? How does one get invited to those gathering gathering?
Speaker 4: Oh? Absolutely, we have a whole little community. I love it. I love it so much. We have Facebook groups divided by region and divided by country and divided by continent, and just a global foraging groups too that really let us bond with one another past all of our borders. So it's great. You get to know the people very closely who are near to you. I'm in like a Midwest foraging group. I'm in an Ohio foraging group. I'm in a central Ohio foraging group. So we definitely have a community. And we exchange recipes, and we exchange ideas, and we build each other up, and we buy each other's books. It's really it's really nice. I'm so thankful that the Internet makes it possible to digitally, you know, get to know all of these people and spend time with them, especially in the age of COVID, because it's not like any of us were able to go out and actually see each other in person.
Speaker 6: Such an interesting thing about the last year for you is you know, when so many people felt so isolated, they gained a new appreciation for being outside and then also had like a really cool new friend to show them, you know, which is so great. We have so many questions that use the word nubie. By the bye, so many people literally almost fifty folks asked this question, so I'm just going to shout out for this one. The first time question askers including Kaitlyn James, Alex Nilsen, Curtis Rodrick, Dane Schuckman, Katie Kyle, and Bennet Gerber, wants to know what are some go to foraging tips the mushy? What are your favorite tools for different kinds of foraging? So just one huge question, how do you start?
Speaker 4: My The Black Forager guide to getting started foraging is threefold. Number one is get a foraging guide that is as specific is you can find for your area. For some places, that's just going to be a regional foraging guide like a book Midwest Foraging. For some places like where some of my family lives in Massachusetts, on Martha's Vineyard, there is literally a Martha's Vineyard Guide to Wild Edibles that their conservation society puts together each year, So find a guide as hyper specific as you can find is number one. Number two is to join a regional foraging group on Reddit or on Facebook wherever you find groups of people hanging out digitally, because one, it will introduce you to people who are like minded but maybe have a bit more experience than you. And two, what a perfect way to see what is in season because you know, ten fifteen times a day other people are posting what they're seeing and they don't live too far away from you.
Speaker 6: So get a book, join a group, and then what's the last step?
Speaker 4: And then three make friends with one of the folks in that group and go out with them, because you can't replicate seeing the plants in real time in all three dimensions. For me, that's where the real learning comes, and that's where the real memorization comes from. Just for me personally, I can see a plant or a mushroom in a book until the cows come home. And the way that it'll stick in my mind, and the way that I will be able to, like, point from across a field and be like, look it's yellow rocket is being able to see it in person for the first time and get a good gander at it, so hit the trails with someone who's been at it for a bit longer than you. There is no replacement for it.
Speaker 6: Well all, see, I guess you can't smell a book, can ya? But smell must come into it, right, you can't.
Speaker 4: And so when people are like pheasant mushrooms, they smell like cucumbers. Well, yeah, there's no scratch and sniff that I know of, at least forging books. Yet I don't know. That could be a million dollar idea out there, scratch and sniff foraging.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'd buy it, Okay, So I looked it up and I found one title, the Scratch and Sniff Book of Weeds, but alas on second glance it just said weed, not weeds. So the Scratch and Sniff Book of Weed. The blurb on the front boasts this book is dope. Also, I looked up when is a plant a weed? And essentially a weed is just eddie plant that is unwanted in a human controlled setting. And so weed as a name for marijuana perhaps as ironic as they come, because for the most part it seems pretty wanted. Ps is weed and reefer and trees and laughing grass, cabbage, that's smoochy woochy poochy is that even native to North America. Nope, it originated in Central Asia before making it way to Africa and then the Caribbean and South America. And then after prohibition ended, the agency that became the.
Speaker 7: DEA was like, quick, what should we ban next?
Speaker 6: And they turn their attention to this smokable plant that humans have used for eons. That sticky, icky skunk weed which brings us back.
Speaker 4: To smells the devil's lettuce.
Speaker 6: But that must be good to know when you're out foraging, that you're using a lot of your senses at once too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's one thing I think so many people get very worried about lookalikes, which you should. That little like ladder of anxiety is something that keeps you safe. But I can't even fully communicate how you are truly using all of your senses for iding. Yes, I made a video on how to tell the difference between Queen Anne's lace and poison hemlock when they are still we babies, just we little rosettes. When honestly, the best way to tell the difference is that poison hemlock smells like rat and Queen Han's lace doesn't poison. Hemlock does not smell like something you want to put in your fist, And for good reason.
Speaker 6: If you don't like rat pe.
Speaker 4: If you don't like rat if you do like rat pe, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 6: But what if something smells like fungus genitals and you like it and want to put it in your mouth, Well, all mushrooms share that characteristic. Maybe not if you wanted to put in your mouth, but they're all fungus genitals. And so many patrons, including Ned Lansing, Dori Brenda Anderson, Eden, Sunshine Morel Hunters, Madeline Duke, and Curtis Rodrick, Rebecca Winesettle, Haley Everson, Rachel Stearns, Kate Bell, Madeline Winter, New Listener, Nicholas Maritime archaeologist, Chanelle Zapp, Christy Kazakhov, Sebastian Papanou, Anya, Marian R. J. Deutsche, Catherine Jamison, Andy c and Zoe Hull all asked about this. In thimble Whim's words, I love forging for garlic, grass, fiddleheads and dandy lyons. I never forge for mushrooms because I don't know enough and I'm way too addicted to not dying, and Rachel Kasher wrote in all mushrooms are edible, some mushrooms are only edible once. Where do we even start learning proper identification? I have a lot of questions about mushrooms because, okay, send me straight here. I feel like mushrooms is like you level up to mushrooms. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: So? I feel like you level up to mushrooms because I grew up being very plant specific in my study of what's growing around me. So I think it kind of depends on what you feel more comfortable learning. First. For me, I guess I've just I've been learning about plants for long enough and interacting with them for long enough that I can go into a new space in a region that I'm somewhat familiar with and be like, I have a good idea of what I'm going to find here, Flora wise, do not ask me what I think I'm gonna find fun guy wise, because I will not have a good answer for you. Every time I find a mushroom. It is a pleasant surprise.
Speaker 6: Yeah, someone about your morel's ask. Zoe Hall says, Oh my goodness, I love Alexis so much. Yay, she just found her first morels, So I got to know what is the secret to this elusive cerebral delight.
Speaker 4: So unfortunately, the only secret that I know that seems to be worth it salt is the one that I did have in that video, and it is if you are in an area that is known for having moral mushrooms, and the ground temperature has been consistently between like forty and sixty degrees and it has rained within the last week, look for trees that are dead and have bark starting to peel off of them. The cool thing about Morel's is they begin their life in between the cells of those trees, and then when those trees die, that is when Morel's and kind of convert to breaking down that dead matter and put up those fruiting bodies. So you're you're gonna be finding them near dead trees, but not trees that have been dead for a very long time, just because they would then be devoid of the nutrients that the morals need to grow and to fruit. And honestly, I've like had that knowledge up in my noggin for a while and I still only found my first moral last week.
Speaker 6: So exciting. How did you cook it?
Speaker 4: I brought four home, and everyone was just because I've only had them dried before, which are still, you know, delightful, But there's something about like not having to reconstitute them that everybody says is just miraculous. So I went super simple. I melted a little bit of a vegan butter. I added in a splash of white wine, and I added in a little bit of dice field garlic, some Alium banailey, just to like get some aromatics going. And then I have the morels and tossed them in the sauce, cooked them until the wine had cooked off and had caramelized them just a wee bit, and then just ate them that way, and Ali, they were so good. I cried a little, Oh.
Speaker 6: My god, that's so exciting. Is this the season for it? Or is that? Are they a seasonal mushy?
Speaker 4: So they are a seasonal mushy. Here on the eastern side of the United States, we are like right in the middle of morel season right now. In the Midwest specifically, things are a little up in the air right now. We've got some very chaotic weather. It has been both eighty degrees and we have had an inch of snow all within the last seven dates.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, So we have.
Speaker 4: No idea if that means good things for the rest of Morel season or if it means bad things for the rest of Morell's season. But on the West coast, where you also have things like burn Morell, those are going to be dependent on wildfires whether or not you're going to be able to find them, and Morel season is much more like late winter Morele mushrooms. They're kind of creepy, but at least they say it's good.
Speaker 6: Kender Sinclair wants to know if you write your songs ahead of time or if they are musical improv.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, what a great question. It is a little bit of both. If I'm just riffing in a video that is almost always just musical improv. I was in an improv group called Affirmative Distraction here in Columbus for a couple of years, and I'm a like improv group here in the city, and I love I love musical improv. It used to scare the crap out of me, and now it's one of my fun little side hobbies. That's a really something that I really enjoyed doing. But things that involve instruments, Oh, absolutely written ahead of time. I am not one of the people who can just pick up an instrument and be like, and now here's a song fresh out of membrane hole. I mean I can do that, it just won't be good understood.
Speaker 6: Great question from Catherine Jamison wants to know why are so many forged plants so mucilaginous.
Speaker 4: I think the answer is a lot of plants are mucilaginous, and we just don't cultivate a lot of them. So then when it's time to go out and forage things, you just get constantly surprised by the plants and the fung gui that do that do a slimy when you.
Speaker 6: Come to a slimy well, you know you you compared it to okra as a kind of a thickening agent, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's exactly what I was going to mention. I was going to say, for folks who grew up eating okra, that is not a crazy surprising thing. But for people who didn't like, giving them something made with like mallow for the first time might be a bit of a squicky experience. Yeah, they're not prepared.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm. Just a little slippery, just a little bit, just a little slippy and from slime to something more serious. A lot of patrons had cultural questions about forging, like Riley Mcinness, Emily Richardson and Claudia Dana, and first time question asker Vicky Preston, who wrote in to say so, I'm an Indigenous person living in my rural homelands and for us foraging or gathering is still a common and necessary practice as much as it's always been. But Vicky wanted to know, alongside listeners Alexis Jarvis and Ammani al Kidwa, how and why can it be empowering as a black, Indigenous or person of color forager.
Speaker 4: My Instagram handle is a black forager and that was one hundred percent on purpose because one, I didn't see a lot of people who looked like me in the space, and I still don't see a lot of people who look like me in the space. It's I honestly think of it kind of like an act of restorative justice to be a person of color who is foraging, because historically, culturally and legally a lot of barriers were put in place to prohibit us historically from being able to do so. I talk about it a little bit in a video that I had made for Black History Month. But in the South, immediately after the Civil War, a lot of laws were put in place to purposefully curb recently freed black folks from being able to forage and trap to provide for themselves, essentially kind of holding them an economic bondage to the plantations so they know they weren't enslaved anymore. But now they pretty much have to be sharecroppers because there's not much else you can do, because trespass one from being a civil offense to being a criminal offense, which suddenly makes it way more expensive problem for you if you are on somebody else's land and they don't want you to be there. But also if you're recently freed, you don't have land of your own to be foraging on, to be growing things on, to be trapping on, to be hunting on, and both physically in some places but mostly metaphorically, senses were put up around public property, and in a lot of spaces it became illegal to forage and trap there too. A lot of that also has some history in the very beginnings of the national park movement in the late eighteen hundreds, you know the eighteen eighties and the eighteen nineties, when a lot of quite men wanted to preserve the pristine conditions of the green spaces they saw around them, while completely ignoring the fact that the way that those green spaces became the way that they were were because of a lot of these symbiotic relationships between the people who were living off of them and the land. So when a lot of laws are put in place to purposefully disenfranchise people from being able to do something, it has usually a lot of generational and cultural skill over there's a pretty big cultural barrier to hop over to be a person of color, even just existing in the outdoors, when a lot of us have grandparents or even in my case, parents who grew up in a time where there was like a very real fear of being a black person in the case of my family, by yourself out in the middle of the woods, like that wasn't a situation that you would ever want to find yourself in for fear of like extreme acts of violence. So for me to be a black woman foraging, yeah, it feels like it feels like justice. Me. It's an act that I feel like we should begin reclaiming. We have just as much a right to do it as anybody else, But because we have all of these historical and external factors working against us, there's just not a lot of us out here. Thankfully, I do see that beginning to change, and I hope to see a change even more rapidly as we move forward.
Speaker 6: Alexis notes that if your great grandparents aren't foraging, well they're not going to teach your grandparents how to forage, and they aren't going to teach your parents, who aren't going to teach you, and not to mention so so much oral tradition and teaching has been lost over the years, And I think one of the things that's so powerful about Alexis's lessons are that she has been captivated by foraging since she was five and has been studying it for years and years, And part of her work feels like carrying on a certain kind of oral tradition of her own and telling stories and showing us exactly what to look for prepare it in a manner that has been missing through generations of trauma, and her work is igniting a new interest in folks who have been kept from this knowledge and resources gathered around the glow of our phones, folks listen intently to her lessons. I think it's so great that you're bringing so many people together who feel similarly. We Actually we have one question, Jessica Duncan says, first time question asker and fellow black girl who loves plants here and is from the Pacific Northwest. I'm interested in getting into foraging for mushies. However, I'm also concerned about trail erosion and the negative effects of trampling through forests. Do you have any tips for Jessica on how to ethically and sustainably forage.
Speaker 4: Yes, Well, since she said that she is specifically interested in mushroom collecting, I would say if you have like a little pocket knife and you go ahead and just cut off the fruit and bodies instead of, you know, maybe disrupting the mycilium that are doing their thing. A lot of foraging is honestly evaluating space by space. You are at any given time, if you are in a place that is having issues with erosion of soil, and you look around and you see signs of erosion of soil, you see a top layer with poor soil quality, you know, the wind blows, and you see a whole lot of the kind of nutritionally depleted top soil blowing around like that's probably not an area that you want to be taking any biodiversity out of you. You want to kind of give it as much of a chance to thrive as it could possibly have. So a lot of it is just reading the space that you're in, visually reading up on a space that you're going to be in ahead of time. And that doesn't even just go for things like erosion. I know, when I'm on the East Coast, if I'm foraging seaweed, I'm checking the water quality. Those are levels that are usually posted for commercial fishermen, but anybody who is out there, you know, fishing, clamming, in my case, dragging seaweed directly out of the ocean to put into their gullet. You also want to be knowing about the water temperature, aligal blooms, any spills that have happened in the area. So a little bit of it is just doing the research that you can if you are able for a space that you hope to be foraging from.
Speaker 6: Are those the dead Man's fingers?
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh my god, I love dead Man's fingers so much.
Speaker 6: Dead Man's fingers, a healthy booku of them. Okay, so we're not talking about the mushroom called dead man's fingers, which truly are a ghastly grayish fingery looking site on the forest floor. Rather, these dead man's fingers are also called green sea fingers, stag seaweed, green fleece, and oyster thief, also known as codium for gila. If you're feeling specific now, Alexi says that she tries to use the binomial nomenoclature or genus and species format because so many forgeable foods have tons of local names. And she says that if a thing is important enough to have different names in a bunch of different places, it's because it's really tasty or it's really really gross or lethal. Now, how do you make sure that you keep eating dead man's fingers without having dead man's fingers? You know, Hope says, And maybe this is some flim flam you could bust. Hope says. I'd been told that you can test for berries being poisonous by rubbing them on your hand and seeing if it tingles or numbs, and then if it doesn't, doing the same with your cheek, and if nothing there either, you might be able to eat it. Is that true at all? Is it flim flam? Is it reliable for a.
Speaker 4: Lot of us, especially who grew up being very outdoorsy. That was kind of the way that we were told to deal with the situation if we like found ourselves stranded in the middle of the woods. The way that I always heard it was, you know, you'd rub it on the inside of your ankle. You'd pretty much just travel to more sensitive pieces of skin and wait a few hours to see if it reacts. Because I am a cautious bean, and because not every hazardous plant behaves the same way or possesses the same toxins, I'm just gonna go ahead and say that unless you are dying, probably not the best rule of thumb to go by. If you are dying, probably not the best rule of thumb to go by. Also, if you are looking for berries, I can say with confidence if you are in North America, we don't have any poisonous compound berries. So if it looks like a raspberry, you're good to go.
Speaker 6: Okay. So compound or aggregate berries include the dewberry, the BlackBerry, the raspberry, So that should help Rebecca racial sorder Mandy Smith, Donnell O'Neil, and Megan Burnett Tarascuwitz. Oh on that topic, this is a very very good question. Emma. Kylie is a first time question asker and their greatest love is for service berries. Is a service berry like a raspberry?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, service berries. I'm so glad someone brought service berries up because I always want to shoehorn them into the conversation, but I never know if people are gonna know what I'm talking about. So service berries, which are the amulanchier genus. There are a couple of different species that fall under it, but we call them all service berries or juneberries or Saskatoon berries. In southern Ohio sometimes they just call them service or service berries. They actually look a lot more like blueberries. They are crowned berries, so you know they have the little little points sticking out of them, the little last signs of their flowers. They they might they might be my favorite. I love papaus just from like a purely ethno botanical history standpoint, but service berries might be my favorite thing to forage. They taste like apples and blueberries mixed together.
Speaker 6: Oh man, so can you make a cobbler? Can you get enough to make like a cobbler out of them? Or is it like if you get three of them, you've had the best day of your life. Oh no.
Speaker 4: So last year, just from the soul tree closest to my house, I gathered enough berries while still leaving all the ones that I couldn't reach, which was most of them for the birds, I gathered enough to make like ten hand pies.
Speaker 6: Ah.
Speaker 4: Last year, for whatever reason, I gathered like one big jar of service berries and was like, you know what, I'm tired. And by the time I wasn't tired anymore service berries. So this year, I'm gonna stock up all of my my energy and my strength and we're gonna go ham on service berries. My neighborhood loves planting them as ornamentals, so they are everywhere.
Speaker 6: Oh man, that's gonna be in like apartment listings. What is around you that you could eat? Yeah.
Speaker 4: I almost think that people need to start listing it because if someone told me that a house that I was maybe going to move into has a service berry tree outfront, I'd be like, oh, I'm done. So yeah, you know, you don't have a lasher or a dryer, but you have a service Berry Tree, who cares. I'll wash my clothes in the same That's fine, it's better for the environment.
Speaker 6: An Now, a certain film came up a few times, and Lena Zekis and Juliet McDonald wanted to know how to avoid the same fate. Julia asked, please tell us how to not Chris mccantless ourselves. Does Alexis get this question a lot? Are there any movies about foraging or survivalism that are inspiring to you or that you fucking hate at all?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I mean people do bring up into the wild. Yeah, that's like everyone's literary experience with foraging. And I feel like for a lot of people, their literary experience with foraging is like people being in mortal peril. It's always either into the wild or it's that like freaking scene in The Hunger Games where it's just like that's night, look, Peter, it'll kill you. That's the way that everybody thinks about it. I'm trying to think how I know of any movies in which their portrayal of foraging doesn't make me big sad? Oh no, oh no, none are coming to mind. Quick, Someone write heartfelt children's film with foraging in it. You can consult me. I'll do it for free.
Speaker 6: Yes, first PBS show and then consulting also please yes, please. Last questions, I always ask what sucks the most about either foraging or having a million people watching your foraging? What is one thing that you would change about it?
Speaker 4: Oh? Man, I don't think there's anything that I would change about foraging. Processing what you bring home is sometimes tough. I feel like that's that's what I don't get many questions about. But I feel like I need to warn people about as if you're getting into foraging, like eighty percent of the fun is going out and finding the thing, but you do have to bring it home and do things with it, or like either cook it immediately or do something usually a little labor intensive to it so you can preserve it for cooking with it in the future. I don't get to just bring the acorn some and crack them open and have a snack. Yeah, unfortunately, Oh god, acorns especially, that's like a week's long process every fall. But that being said, I also find processing my fines to be very like meditative. It's like a great thing to do after a busy week. I'm a freak. I will process plants for two hours in complete silence in my kitchen and be just the happiest version of myself after.
Speaker 6: I bet, especially after you've had each thing that you thing has a narrative too of when you found it, how you decided to pick that one over the one next to it. I mean, there's there's so much context for every single leaf you know.
Speaker 4: Exactly, There's there's so much to consider, And I find that taking the time to really pause and to really think about how thankful I am for everything that I brought home, for each of one of those plants, and for all of the people, places and books where I've gotten my knowledge about that plant from it just it fills my heart up, makes my heart feel all warm and fuzzy. And then at the end you get a snack who does like that? So, since I would change nothing about foraging, because foraging is amazing and wonderful, I will say being a person who a lot of people are watching on the internet nine times out of ten, super cool, very surreal experience. But a lot of people talk to you, or at least leave comments on your things, as if you are not a real human person, who then has to process what it is that they have said, and that stinks. Additionally, being a woman and a woman of color in the space comes with a lot of added pressure to be so incredibly perfect. And I mean, yes, this is a line of study, a line of work in which you want to be perfect and you want to be accurate because you care about all of the people who follow you, and you want them to be safe and you want them to feel like they are prepared knowledge wise to go out and find something, or at least prepared to ask the right questions when they go and find more information about it. But being a person of color, I do find that I tend to incur skepticism a lot more than some of my delightful white peers.
Speaker 6: God that sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sucks, Thank you, it sucks. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Alexis frekuna that online her knowledge gets doubted more than others, even though she's been studying this for years, and it's impossible to ignore that sexism and racism. But it's also partly why she knows the work and being in this space is important, and also she's just entertaining us. Hell, I think what's so compelling about it is it's outdoorsy, and it's funny, and it's perconaval, and it's science and it's food and its history. It's like a septople whammy, just.
Speaker 4: A one stop shop for all different kinds of content.
Speaker 6: It really is. And I just love the way that it gets people to notice their surroundings more and not take for granted all of the things that are growing around us. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people have solace in nature, and a lot of folks who maybe wouldn't have otherwise. And for me, mymo has always been when you see more value in a space, you take better care of it. And foraging is absolutely a way to see more value in the space around you.
Speaker 6: And that being said, I always I always end on your favorite thing about it, but I don't even how do you even pick a favorite thing about it. I also feel like your microbiome must be so good. You must have such a healthy microbiome.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I eat normal things you like right now, I do have a glass of like a red bud and dandelion like fermented beverage that I just bottled earlier this week, and I'm like, yay, good gut bacteria. We love to see an active fermenting drink, but I also ate two oreos for breakfast, so journey's out on that one. I guess. I don't get sick a lot.
Speaker 6: What about your favorite favorite thing about it? What just gives you butterflies?
Speaker 4: Getting to see either in real time or to have people like relay to me like a breakthrough that they have had or like a special moment that they have now had in their surroundings because of my content. One of my best best best friends has never been super outdoorsy, but she she loves food, an amazing chef, and so her kind of foray into the outdoors has been through foraging and watching. Kind of like the light bulb go off for her. Now when we go out on hikes together and you know, watching her being able to like recognize things so confidently on her own, I'm just like, yeah, that's one. Those moments supersede the negatives by so many degrees and make me make me feel like I'm doing something beneficial. I guess. I hope.
Speaker 6: So ask smart people simple questions, because chances are they do what they do because they really love what they do, and you never know, you might gott to know and get hit by a bus, so you might as well ask questions. Also follow Alexis. Turns out she's a fellow Ologite and she'd listened to the show before I ever reached out, which was so cool to learn. And she is at Black Forager on TikTok, on Twitter and on Instagram, so do follow her. We are at Ologies on Twitter and Instagram. I'm at Ali Ward just one l on both. Thank you to all the patrons at patreon dot com slash Ologies, where you can join for just one tiny dollar a month and sub big questions. Thank you Aaron Talbert for admitting the Ologies podcast Facebook page. Thank you White of the Wardery who makes our transcripts. Thank you to Caleb Patten who bleeps them. Bleeped episodes and transcripts are available for free at the link in the show notes. Ologies Merch is available at ologiesmerch dot com. Thank you, Shannon Felt to some Bonnie Dutch of the comedy podcast You Are That for managing that. Thank you to Susan Hale and Noel Dilworth who helped with social media and scheduling. Thank you to main Squeeze and huge editing hero Jared Sleeper of mind Gem Media and longtime editor, newly unmustached Stephen Ray Morris of the podcasts The Podcast and see Jurassic Wright. Oh my stash. They both shaved this week, Stephen and Jarrett. People are vaxed. Stashes are waxed. Wow, springtime in America. Oh, I'm Nick Thorburn of the band Islands. Did the music? Okay, here's a new secret for twenty twenty four, and it's that I just returned from Mexico City a few days ago, where I went to talk to some axe lotto experts. But on day two I completely lost my voice. I'd like to a rasp like. I couldn't make sounds with my throat or mouth. So we're gonna be working on a work around for that. Also, that's one of the reasons this is an encore episode this week, because I couldn't talk for a bit. We're also working on a real chunk of an episode for next week, and I wanted to keep doing some tweaks on it. I wanted it to be as good as possible. And here's the thing, patrons, if you're a patron, I'm releasing next week's episode early. I've never done this before. I'm probably on Thursday or Friday, so in a few days to get some ideas and some feedback on it before it comes out to the public next Tuesday. So if you're not already a patron and you want to know what next week's episode is and you want to give me some feedback on it, that'll be happening a little bit later this week. And yeah, my voice still hurts in a sex so I'll rest that right now. Okay, go eat your backyard, do it safely, all right? Bye bye, pack a dermis college, Homeology, crypto zoology, lithology, Zemnology, meteorology, pertology, the apology, seriology.
Speaker 7: Samology, Good night, last rita.
Speaker 6: You we did in a minute.
Speaker 1: Get value you can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Serve up something special with our finest meal deal for two starring one main, two sides and dessert for only sixteen euro like succulent board, be approved rushined the strip loin steaks with pepper, corn butter or delicious Irish chicken parmesanma served with creamy potato gratam and her mix of rainbow root vegetables. And enjoy Goozillionaire or soldier caramel cheesecake. Can't argue with that shop in store or online Tesco. Every little helps available the most stores prices very in express.
Speaker 9: Be an atomac at bugga onlu the haartanir, the holla, the hymen a heckl ah ersuina or slancela dani the tain knew those shoes that would kill nack at our hoop la hula, shump aroda and udarosch urslince is phaeder lat Gan's throw, Tasha Tapa, siranashka, augustnyavri ande ravad is fugum more teyrig h i a punk iy e is collachulala a on tudoros ourgras lonz if we wilt asnaheran