Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. We're drawing right now by a man that has been part of two Dodger World Series championships. He continues to be a guy they can lean on at the hot corner, and that is the one and only Max Monsy. Max thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it, of course, David, anything for you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that you got those beautiful sunglasses on now. And it feels like the season is starting to go Max Monthsy's way.
Speaker 3: You know, all all can do is just folks on the positives that I've had and you just keep try to build on that and move forward. And you know, the most important thing to me is the team's playing well. I know we had a little bit of a skid last couple of games, but overall we're playing well, and you know that's the that's the end goal is.
Speaker 2: For the team to do well.
Speaker 1: How big is it to get tom Yedman and Tioscar Hernandez back. It feels like the lineup now is more whole than when any of you guys are out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's huge getting both them back. It feels like we really haven't played all season with you know, a full healthy where guys are performing like themselves. You know, early on Freddie was out, Mookie was sick, and Tommy and too get hurt. I hadn't been playing like myself. We're still you know, Mikey's still coming around, and you know, we just we have not the full lineup clicking on all cylinders yet, and so you know, we're waiting to get to that point, and we know once we do, we're really going to take off. But you know, until then, we're still playing pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your record's pretty good too.
Speaker 1: When you look at it, it might be kind of scary for the rest of the league with everything that you just said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know that is that is the hope.
Speaker 3: You know, hopefully we just get that lengthen there we can start getting some guys some days off, you know, keep us healthy in the long run. And you know it's always an important thing, is try to get to October healthy.
Speaker 1: Can I take you back to the NLCS and your major league record of getting on base twelve consecutive times, like when you're in that type of zone seeing the ball as well as you were seeing it, does any of that factor into you that hey, I might be doing something thing here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when when the ball slows down for you, that's when you know you're you're in a good spot. You know you're able to recognize everything, You feel like you're able to get your swing off on everything.
Speaker 2: That's a it's a really good spot to be in.
Speaker 3: There's not many times at the course of the season where you get in that zone.
Speaker 2: And so for me, that was a great time to be in it.
Speaker 3: Uh. Wish I could have kept it going, but you know that's uh, that's the nature of it. And you know, for me, it was just important to be on basically that many times for my teammates to drive me in and you know, help, let's get that series win.
Speaker 1: Isn't that the value of max month? See we always look at the results, but what you do as part of this whole lineup, like in the NLCS, how much pride do you take in knowing your value?
Speaker 3: I take a lot of pride in knowing that I can be the guy that allows everyone else to be themselves. You know, if guys want to swing first pitch, attack early, they know they can do that if they got me in front of them. Or behind them, knowing that if I need to, I can work the bat, make the pitcher throw a bunch of pitches. That way, the inning doesn't get too lopsided in their favor.
Speaker 2: And it's some of them that.
Speaker 3: I've really taken a lot of pride in, and you know, I know that's what my value is here, is to just be that guy that gives the lineup so much length and you know, just doesn't make it easy on the picture. Even if it's now, it's still not easy out. And that's, you know, something I've always always taken pride in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a they called it a lineup for a reason. It's not just you on an island.
Speaker 3: It feels like that when you're in the batter's box sometimes, but yeah, it is nine guys.
Speaker 2: You know, it's up and down.
Speaker 3: You know, you're you're really trying to get you know, the opposing picture to throw a lot of pitches, get out of the game.
Speaker 2: You're trying to get some runs on the board. And it is a group effort.
Speaker 3: It's not just one guy, even though it does kind of feel like it sometimes.
Speaker 1: Max Munsey is our guest. Before I let you go, I spoke to Joe Tory a couple of weeks ago. He was the manager that led the Yankees to back to back World Series championships twenty five years ago, and you said the biggest message he had to those teams was not to admire what you had done the year before. Do you feel like this group has done a pretty good job of not at my hiring what you did last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, part of that was going to Japan this year. You you don't have a ton of time in the off season, you know, the whole point, the whole goal was to be playing late intil October November, and then that means you have a really short offseason, and then for us going to Japan with and even shorter offseason. So I don't think a lot of guys had a ton of time.
Speaker 2: To kind of sit there and reflect on, you know, last year.
Speaker 3: It's always a little tough when you know you're you're you're playing teams that have guys from the team last year, and you're doing ring ceremonies and you know you're wearing the jerseys you got all this other stuff, and it's hard not to admire it sometimes. But I think for a lot of us we've just you know, stay focused on taking it one day at a time. And I think that's also the beauty of having an older team that we know, we have a lot of guys that know how to just, you know, you take this season one day at a time, and you know what what you did the day yes, you know, yesterday, the day before, that doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: What you think you might do tomorrow, it doesn't matter. All that matter is what you're gonna do today.
Speaker 3: And that was the message we've always been trying to, you know, Preacher, is what can you do today to help the team when and you know, when the day is over, you flush it.
Speaker 2: And you move on to the next day. Be where your feet are.
Speaker 1: Max Monsey always is thanks a lot for the time, and you mean a lot to this team and you mean a lot to Los Angeles. So keep it going and stay healthy.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. David