Speaker 1: Astonishing Legends Network Disclaimer. This episode includes the usual amount of adult language and graphic discussions you've come to expect around here, but in the event it becomes an unusual amount, expect another call from me.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome back to Scaret all the time. I'm Chris Klari and I'm ed for Cola, And this week we are talking about the monster that lurks at the very heart of our society. It's a creature that we actually designed to serve us, to ensure a fragile peace between neighbors and strangers, friends and enemies, the rich and the poor, the weak and the powerful. We carefully crafted this creature to punish the guilty. But the truth is it is flawed. It's easily manipulated and capable of visiting immense violence upon the innocent. This brute is not the kind of horror that we usually discuss on this show.
Speaker 3: Is it a RoboCop kind of It is a cop in some ways.
Speaker 2: It is not a demon or a ghoul, or a zombie or a werewolf, or a drug or an accident that can tear you limb from limb. It is something that we call the justice system. Oh dread insert law and order sound here. No way.
Speaker 3: That's really a lot of money, and it.
Speaker 2: Is capable of thrusting almost anyone into a Kafka esque nightmare from which there is no escape, because the justice system is not always just. Sometimes you wake up and someone you've never met has decided that you are a criminal. By lunchtime, there's a detective at your door, By Friday, your face is on the news, and by next year you are in a cage or an electric chair. And that is what we're talking about today, the slow motion nightmare of being innocent and being told over and over and over and over by the people who hold your very life and freedom in their hands that you are guilty. What are we screwed? When are we? All? The time? Now? Which is time for time? Before we start, I just want to take a quick second to say, if you like the show, please go to patreon dot com slash scare it all the time to check out everything we have on offer over there. We've got a monthly live stream that we do, we've got Button of the Month club, we've got early release, we've got ad free all kinds of stuff. If you guys sign up over at the Patreon it really helps keep the lights sign at the show. And I do not say that lightly. It really genuinely helps keep the lights on. So sign up over there if you haven't yet, And if you can't do that, that's all good. But if you could leave us a five star review on Spotify or Apple, head over, check us out on YouTube, help us grow our channels. This show exists because of you, the listener, and we try to involve you as much as we can. So we thank you, and with that, it's time to start the show. All right. So, as far as fears that we've discussed on this show, I would say this one is probably the one that I've had the most genuine nightmares about.
Speaker 3: I'm having nightmares about you bank in your hand on the table and that being in the recording.
Speaker 2: But will you have a nightmare about.
Speaker 3: Being wrong, like like being wrongfully accused or whatever the word we're gonna ultimately decide on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's by the time this comes out, we'll have decided if we're calling this episode wrongfully accused, falsely accused, false imprisonment. There's a couple. I don't know which one is best for the SEO, but yes, I don't know if it's my general anxiety surrounding life or what. But I cannot tell you how many times I have woken up I well, I guess the cliche would be in a cold sweat. I don't know that I've ever woken up in a cold sweat, actually, but I've woken up for sure convinced that I was about to spend the rest of my life in prison for something that I didn't do.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you might have done something I don't that you don't remember.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know. I don't have that dream. My nightmares never cover the details. But I know in my nightmares that I've been booked for murders, hit and runs, bank robberies, and a bombing that I didn't commit. Sure, I've also had dreams of being hauled in the court for stuff that's not an actual crime. Like I have a faint, fuzzy memory of a dream that I had where I was trying to draw something and I used the wrong color, and because I used the wrong color, I had to go on the run because I was going to get like put in jail. I don't remember when I had this dream. I just it's a faint memory. And I'm pretty sure this didn't actually happen. I don't think I ever had any the state, because I drew in red and not green. I guess that's not so much a nightmare about a false accusation as it is maybe a nightmare about a stupid law.
Speaker 3: But whatever.
Speaker 2: I also think maybe maybe my family I don't know. My youngest sister shout out Rachel, no, not a criminal, but she shares this fear with me. I don't know if maybe one of us had it first and passed it to the other, or if we just have the same Catholic guilt that follows us around. Like you know, I do think in general most days of my life I have a voice in the back of my head. It's like, well, you, you obviously fucked something up. It's not I never had this problem. I mean, I have a guilty vulture looming over your shoulder.
Speaker 3: The only dreams I have have discussed this, not on the show, but in our lives. The only dreams I have in our anxiety dreams. You do have the anxiety, and I only dream if I'm dreaming, it's an anxiety dream. Yeap, Like that's crazy, but that's the truth. But The anxieties in the dream are never that I've been wrong fully.
Speaker 2: Accused of anything, right.
Speaker 3: The anxieties are usually very parallel, even if they're metaphors in the dream, they're all very parallel things going on in my life at that moment.
Speaker 2: Would you like to tell the listeners about the anxiety dream that you had last night? About the sinister test.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that was about, And I don't know if it was because I knew we were recording and I couldn't fall asleep last night and I kept waking up every hour, So I don't know if I was worried that I was going to be we're record we're drinking coffees in this like we're recording this late thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: But h we were out all night with Sarge from Crypto Cocktail. Shout out to Cocktail, David Sarge.
Speaker 3: And the dream I had is it we needed to rent a school, a classroom in a school, like a dirty old school in Boston, and you in it. They were going to charge us ten dollars a day, and you were fighting them on that rate. But we needed the classroom and presumably some students because Chris wanted to conduct a test called the sinister test.
Speaker 2: Which I think you're feeling guilty for things you're doing my dream. Maybe I don't know what well, I mean, I don't know what the sinister test could possibly be.
Speaker 3: I know it was like a multiple choice bubble test or like they had. It was like a standardized test, and you were explaining it to the woman.
Speaker 2: But the woman and who's the woman? Just some woman who's like administrator there. She owns the dirty school.
Speaker 3: She owned the dirty school.
Speaker 2: And she kept being I didn't have a shirt on, and I wasn't. I was in better shape in this dream than.
Speaker 3: I have now, and but she was like, I'm sorry, I can't. Your friend has no shirt on, and I said, we were running late.
Speaker 4: She said that to me, Yes, you don't have a but I was just there and I had you had a shirt on, okay, And then she you kept trying to explain the sinister test to her, and then she was like, I'm sorry, I'm very distracted.
Speaker 3: And then she's like, you need to have a shirt on in the school around children, And then I was like I didn't. I said we were running late because we started the dream in a hotel. We had well, we're not. We're not living in this city at that time. We had to come here to conduct this test for the pod. Yeah, and she said they had a loss and found and she gave me a wife beater and I was like, okay, thanks.
Speaker 2: So you're looking sick jacked wife beater. Yeah, and you're trying to test children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're like holding a stack of standardized tests that say sinister test. And to this to this day, it happened hours ago I was sleeping. Yeah, but to this day, I don't know what the sinister test.
Speaker 2: Was, but it certainly wasn't anything that we were going to go to jail for. Yeah, well, good, well, maybe we get to the end of the trip.
Speaker 3: They were open to every request you made, was you had a ten dollar fees.
Speaker 2: I think I think we might need to fun We might need to actually if we were doing the sinister test for the podcast, we might need to actually invent the sinister test and do it for the podcast. But I also think I partially have to blame I think maybe Hitchcock Movies for my fear of being wrongfully accused. Okay, he's probably to thing for a lot of people's fears about a lot of things, but Hitchcock famously loved the wrong Man trope. At least I was trying to think when I was getting ready for the show. At least three of his movies that I can think of off the top of my head, The Thirty nine Steps, about a guy accused of being a spy and on the run, the wrong man. Henry Fonda, innocent. Henry Fond is one of the all time great actors, so good, and I forget if it was Rob.
Speaker 3: I don't like his kid, but I think he's great.
Speaker 2: Jane Fonda. I was thinking the Boy One, Oh, who's the Wait, who's the boy one? Exactly? Oh? What did he do?
Speaker 3: A million things? Easy rider?
Speaker 2: Oh wait? Why is it hard to remember his? Fucking one of most famous actors of all time? I'm thinking of Dennis Hopper. He was also in that Peter Fund Peter Fond, Yeah, out of Peter like early morning, eight thirty coffees. I was gonna cut all of us, you know, figuring it out. But no, I I love, love, love, love Henry Fond. I do not care for Peter Fonda. Is just his performances or not. So nothing he actually did, couldn't tell you.
Speaker 3: What he did or anything like that. I just think that, like I never was really into him, Like I don't like easy Writer.
Speaker 2: I don't like it.
Speaker 3: Just he would show up and stuff, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I don't like easy Ryan. It's fine. It's of the time kind of. It's it's the same way that like I think kids, you know, forty years from now, are gonna be like, the fuck is spring Breakers? I hate this man, Like, I feel like there's a similar that now counter culture coolness anyway, Third nine Steps wrong Man north By Northwest? Sure, and there's one other, is it? Maybe? Is it the one that's Man who Knew too Much? The Man who Knew too Much? Yeah, has got to be. Although I can't remember what that movie's about, but the title certainly in it, and Saboteur, I'm pretty sure is a guy who a boat gets blown up in a harbor. That movie is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm thinking of Lifeboat.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's also There's no wrong anyway. He also had a whole run of films in the UK before he came to America, so it's possible there's even more. But I've always found it interesting that he was so so Hitchcock passed his fear of false imprisonment onto the world because when he was a kid he told the story I think too in the interviews with Trifoe, I have that book over there. Yeah, didn't read it obviously, and who knows if it's true or not, because he was he was a storyteller. But he says that when he was like around five years old, he did something wrong and can't remember what it was, or maybe I can't remember what it was, but he did something wrong and his dad sent him to the local police station with a note pinned to his clothes that said to put him in a jail cell and tell him this is what we do to naughty boys.
Speaker 3: And oh my god, that that's the sinister test.
Speaker 2: And hitch said that it left him with a lifelong fear of police and prisons.
Speaker 3: I stole a piece of beef turkey when I was a child at a at a place I won't name now in case there's a statute.
Speaker 2: Of limitations on. I think, like I think.
Speaker 3: And my dad when we got in the car, was like, we're doing that beef jerkey and I was like, I had it, And I obviously didn't have any beef turkey, and I remember he said some ship that was like He's like, we can go back in there and I can do the whole thing where it's like my son took this and blah blah blah and embarrass you. He's like, or I can just tell you that, like stealing is what shitty people do, and we're not shitty people, so don't fucking do it again. And and I was real young and not saying that I never heard swears before, but I never heard swears directed at me that weren't in like anger, Like of course, yeah, we're three rambunctious asshole kids. We've heard swears, but I'm saying I've never heard it like directed at me in such a way.
Speaker 2: This is a real it was a more disappointed yeah. So it was a core memory for me. And I didn't steal beep jerky ever.
Speaker 3: Again. I was like, real, real little yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that's actually I mean sort of some people have called what Hitch's dad did sort of abusive. I think, I mean this would have been what nineteen tens, working class London. I feel like, as far as punishments of that erago, this was probably on the on the less abusive side.
Speaker 3: Of things, and his dad knew how to write, so they were okay, step ahead.
Speaker 2: We're going to get back to early nineteen hundreds England by the end of this episode. And boy, oh boy, what a what a terrible place and time. But when most people our age, this is where I want to start. When most people our Age hear the phrase falsely accused, wrongly accused, their brain probably goes to the most high profile wrong man or in this case, woman case in recent history, which is the story of Amanda Knox. We are. That's not where my brain went. But when you said the name, you thought Jeffrey Epstein, no more innocent man.
Speaker 3: No, when you said man in Knox, now it came rushing back. But that was not top of mind at all.
Speaker 2: What was top of mind for you? I guess I should have.
Speaker 3: Felt like I was gonna be put in a fucking Lizzie Bordon situation. I thought you were going to ask me, what do you think? And I was racking my brain, like wrongfully accused?
Speaker 2: Was that the.
Speaker 3: Leslie Nielsen fucking parody movie of the Fugitive? Like I was trying to think of what people our age would think of for wrongfully accused. But I guess the Central Park five, you know, popped in my head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first I had them on the list that that case was awful and fraught with much tension. Yeah, we didn't want to get into that. I felt like a man in Knox is a good place to start. It's a good anchor point for a lot in Italy, lady who was in Italy. Yeah, and we're not going to take an exhaustive look at this case because a million people already have. But I think we would be committing a crime of podcasting to it, not at least to at least we have to touch on it to start this episode. So for anyone who wasn't paying attention, or possibly me like ed or this was long enough ago at this point that maybe some of our listeners were maybe not even born when this happened. On November one, two thousand and seven, in Perugia, Perugia, Italy, a twenty one year old British exchange student named Meredith Kercher was found murdered in the apartment that she shared with three other young women. Her throat was slashed and she'd been sexually assaulted, and all of Italy was scandalized. Within days, two things happened in parallel. First, the actual forensic evidence, which included bloody handprints, DNA and footprints, all pointed to a guy named Rudy Guede who had been arrested recently for burglaries in the town of Perusia. I would even say that the evidence pointing to him is a bit of an understatement. His ship was all over the place in this house. It was the Rudy gued show. On the walls, on the floor, he wrote, Rudy wrote here. But as the cops started investigating and crawling the crime scene, Kircher's American roommate, who at the time was a twenty year old Amanda Knox, was outside the house and she started acting strangely. She was spotted kissing her boyfriend, doing cartwheels, and practicing yoga outside while she waited for the cops to follow This act of crime. Sin yeah, and not things you do when your roommate's been murdered. Yeh, brtally murdered and you're just hanging out outside.
Speaker 3: This isn't fucking banaru no.
Speaker 2: You know of the one of the things that I'm sure other people have looked into that I didn't feel was super pertinent. Here is what her explanation was for doing all of these things. Drugs probably drug probably being young, nervous, scared whatever. People. As we'll see throughout this episode, sometimes people act in ways that you don't expect them to act in bad situations. So her position as an American outsider acting weird is enough for Italian police to pull her in for an interrogation. Although much like points to interrogation, here is an understatement. This was morkin to torture. It was fifty hours across five days. They interrogated her in Italian, which she didn't speak, or she barely spoke. She had no lawyer, and the cops repeatedly slapped her and told her that after every answer that she was lying. They slapped her physically physically slapped her. Dude. Years later, the European Court of Human Rights ruled why they lost the war. They ruled that their behavior was so abusive that the country of Italy had to pay Amanda damages. I would I would demand it, especially since America. Baby, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: I'm just feels like shit gets resolved or shit gets escalated when there's an American involved in an international crime or thing, either we get the hostages back or we come for something after.
Speaker 2: Usually tends to be.
Speaker 3: It's like when you have a dual citizenship, seems to be from multiple people I've spoken to outside of our country, you're gonna want that American embassy when shit goes down. What I'm saying is slapping around the American is probably not a good look for the country.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, you know, it doesn't seem like America swooped in at any point to be like we you know, like they were playing by Italy's rules this whole time.
Speaker 3: Yes, Nor is this a hostage situation or something with a steep department and get involved. It's a local fucking crime. Yeah, I'm just saying that, when this becomes news, you've slapped the wrong unfortunately nationality, because we have a very large global media circus that we bring.
Speaker 2: Everywhere we go.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that is part of what and then a bunch of dick swinging as just being America tends to be.
Speaker 2: Although in this case, the American media circus I think did not help. No, I'm not saying it helped.
Speaker 3: Media circus has rarely helped all right, God blast Princess Diana. I'm just saying that, like America is just such a fucking elbows out bully, that it's like pick and shoes and you're gonna beat up for fifty hours, right.
Speaker 2: I think I should also maybe pause here while we're off on a bit of a tangent to say that forced confessions might be their own fear, because how many Netflix stocko maatches are gonna watch where that happens. I mean, and again I would I think under duress. I know this is hard for people to wrap their head around. And maybe this is my Catholic guilt speaking again, but I think if I were in a situation because again this is an anxiety I've had being falsely accused, and I've imagined this like I think, if you if the state were high and scary and weird enough, and you brought me into a room and told me for hours and hours and hours, if not days, that I was definitely guilty of something. I don't know that I would like be brainwashed and convinced that I was, but I do feel like I would start to feel like, well, I must have done something.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's why I black out, did I torture could fetch off somewhat because if I feel like if.
Speaker 2: Well, not even torture.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that there's a reason you can't, right, because you'll be like, oh, you're gonna stop slapping me if I say I did it, fine, I did.
Speaker 2: It right, right, and not even physically torture, but just like you know, if they berate you enough and and you know, tear into you enough, like I don't know, maybe it means I'm weak willed or I don't know, but I could see myself after a long enough brutal enough interrogation being like, yeah, I guess, I guess I did do it. But anyway, that is why one of our scared all the time rules is always ask for a lawyer. You've got to ask for that lawyer, got to get that as a lawyer. We'll get to that in a second. All right, guys, Well, you know how it is over here. It's scared all the time. We are always talking about getting square, and yet we always seem to be a little bit further away from actually being square than we ever want to be. So it's nice that we're finally getting some sponsors that can maybe help us on our journey to squareness, and this week's sponsor is Lean. Everybody is talking about weight loss injections because the results are so dramatic. They work by lowering blood sugar and reducing appetite. So what if you're lucky to lose weight but not interested in painful weekly injections, especially when you hear about some of those intense side effects. Well, that's why doctors created a weight loss supplement called Lean, and the results are remarkable. The studied ingredients and Lean have been shown to lower your blood sugar, burn fat by converting it into energy, and curb your appetite and cravings so you're not as hungry. But listen, Lean is not for the casual diet or with only a few pounds to lose. The doctors at Brickhouse Nutrition created Lean for frustrated dieters with ten or more pounds to lose.
Speaker 3: So let's get started. With twenty percent off and free rush shippings. You can add Lean to your healthy diet and exercise plan. Visit takelean dot com and answer scared for your discount. That's promo code Scared s c A R E D at take lean dot com.
Speaker 2: That's promo code Scared s c A. R. E. D at takelean dot com. So I'm I'm not a legal expert here, a legal eagle, but I'm pretty sure any country with a common law Western style justice system has to allow you to have a lawyer before you answer any question. So if you're ever traveling, go into the country as an American citizen. As Ed said, I would also say, learn the word for bathroom and learn the word for defense attorney, because if you need one, you need to be able to ask for one. Just because you ask for a answered interpreter, well that too, But just because you ask for one also doesn't mean the cops. I mean they don't always let you get one easily in the States, yeah, and doesn't mean they'll let you get one easily overseas. In Amanda's case, part of the issue here was that she was never even informed that she was a suspect. She was just told we want to talk. And I'm sure at some point in the fifty hours and five days of me Terrys feel like she probably figured like, ooh, I but the police, because the police never just want to talk, and that's when when she picked up.
Speaker 3: Was it like the night of No, that's a good question, because it's not there's sexual assault stuff.
Speaker 2: There's a bunch of shit.
Speaker 3: It feels like you're not gonna maybe get from just looking in the room at that moment.
Speaker 2: I mean it was soon. It was soon after they investigated, after they like did the after they investigated the crime scene, they talked, They brought her in to talk to her. Well, the police never just want to talk. And that's and that's one of the reasons. And I'm genuinely not being political here, but I would implore anybody, uh with children, don't teach your kids to blindly trust cops. It's not that they're all out to get you, but to assume, I think we've all seen enough Netflix documentaries that to assume that you're safe because you're innocent is a bad idea. Well, I always ask.
Speaker 3: For a lawyer, Okay, you mean blindly trust cops when they've brought you in.
Speaker 2: Well or even if even if I think there's even before they bring you in, even when they come knock on the door, if like if if a cop came and knocked on my door.
Speaker 3: Okay, in this situation, this is a cop is talking to you. Yeah, Okay, I mean, they're I don't necessarily agree with the don't blindly trust cops blanket statement West cops to have my best interest necessarily in mind if I've been accused or thought to have been accused of something.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is, you don't even need but I am.
Speaker 3: Gonna I have a healthy respect for cops in the sense that I don't want any trouble.
Speaker 2: Well, respect in not wanting trouble is one thing, But I'm saying, like the way that I think a lot of people get in trouble is a cop comes to your door, a crime has been committed. You may not even know a crime's been committed, and they say, hey, can we ask you a couple questions about something? Immediately right there? And this is why it.
Speaker 3: Just happened here I have video footage of it. Somebody broke into the house behind my house. The guy jumped over and ran through our thing, and the cops came to my door and they were like, you have a ring camera?
Speaker 2: Is it cool if we look through you?
Speaker 3: Like? Can I see it? What if anyone ran by?
Speaker 2: Sure? And I wasn't like, let me call my lawyer or prove to me. Someone ran by He no, no, no, I know, I know, and that's and I think that's why. Like in that case, that was totally fine. But I think there are situations sometimes where this there is more going on than you know, and you just say the wrong thing and all of a sudden, you know, you find yourself in a situation where somebody has decided that you look like a pretty good suspect for something in this case.
Speaker 3: Now, in that case, I would say instead of don't trust the cops, I would just maybe say a scared all time rule is check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Speaker 2: Like like just be smart about like.
Speaker 3: Just think two steps head if you can just think about you know, am I gonna get myself in hot water accidentally?
Speaker 2: It's best it is. Let the lawyers do the talk before me. Yeah, I would, I guess I would say sure. If they come and knock on your door and say, hey, can we check your ring camera, you're probably fine. If a cop ever asked you to come in they want to talk to you, that's where I would start thinking that maybe it's it's time to get a lawyer. Yes, they're asking you to come to a police station. Well, right, but they don't always say like they didn't come to you and say, hey, you're a suspect and a murder you want to come down? You know, they're like, you know, come on down. We just we gotta we gotta clear, we gotta make sure a couple things or whatever, like the minute down.
Speaker 3: Into a second location. I don't Yeah, I don't think I'm.
Speaker 2: Never go to a second location.
Speaker 3: If you can carry it, fary it. But yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, my fear that my own brain would turn on me in a intense interrogation situation is exactly what happened to Amanda. According to an article I found on investigativetv dot com you know It's good TV. The cops started lying to her. They claimed, quote, we know you are at your house. We have irrefutable proof. Knox was put in a position of trying to make sense of that. She said, that doesn't make any sense to me. I have no memory of being at my house. Knox said. She then started doubting her own memories, and her self doubt became so strong that when the cops typed up a confession, she signed it. She said, I just did exactly what the police told me to do. I was exhausted. I was confused. I didn't know even really what I was signing. Her confession named her boss, a Congolese bar owner named Patrick Lamumba, as the killer Congolese bar owner in Italy, not in the Congo. He's from the Congo.
Speaker 3: Understood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that gets her in even more trouble because Lamumba had an airtight alibi.
Speaker 3: In her thing she signed. She has said my boss killed my roommate. Yes, she said that her boss did it. Part of the theory that.
Speaker 2: The cops were building here that will get to know as.
Speaker 3: She came to that conclusion on her own, unless my boss was always being creepy around my roommate.
Speaker 2: Part of what the cops were building to here that we'll get into a little bit more in a minute, is that what happened to Meredith was some sort of like sex game gone wrong, because there had part of what part of the that she had dated the bartender. No, just part of part of the weird mythos that started to grow around Amanda Knox was that, you know, her and these three female roommates and her boyfriend, that there was a bunch of partner swapping and sex stuff going on and in a very kind of virgin horror society, like in Italy. That was a very scandalous thing. And so part of the case they were building was like what men were you bringing around, who were you having sex with? Who was Meredith jealous of, and like all that kind of stuff. So I don't know exactly. Again, we're not doing the full deep dive. I don't know exactly why they thought that her boss was involved, but that was ra sysm. This is a country that gladly jumped on board with fascism. I would not be not be surprised if that had something to do with it. But anyway, Amanda naming her boss in her confession actually got her in even more trouble because, no kidding, La Mumba had an airtight alibi, so they went to the bar even if he didn't. Don't be putting other people's names in your signed confession. Well, and I'm also curious again, I'm not sure, like you just straight up like, I don't like what you just said. I don't know if she just signed with the cops, wrote I don't know if the cops put his name in there, and she ended up taking the fall for that. Well, yeah, I mean, who knows.
Speaker 3: But that's why you know, to quote an old Jerry Seinfeldt bit from a stand up becaf, kids are too young to remember at bandak not.
Speaker 2: They don't know who.
Speaker 3: No, no, they're not gonna know what checks are or how you write checks.
Speaker 2: But he's like, that's.
Speaker 3: Why you put the long line after the number. He's like, that way so someone can't write in and a million dollars too. Yeah, so you got to whatever the long line of her. Her situation here is, you got to make sure that people can't write in and matumbo too.
Speaker 2: Well. They talked to everyone else who worked at the bar, and everybody said, yeah, no, no, he was here all night. He couldn't have done it. So the court then charged and convicted Amanda Knox of slander for falsely accusing him in court. And this is crazy to this day. Even though, as I think most people listening to this spoiler alert, she's been cleared of this murder, she is actually still convicted of slander against Patrick Lamumba in Italy. So she still is a convicted criminal in Italy of this particular piece. And the thing, even if she was tricked into doing that, I think that's fair. I think it's fair because it's like, I don't know, it's fuck it is, it's fucked up. But I also just I mean, listen that person.
Speaker 3: I don't think you can drop charges. I think that's a made up thing for television. Like if your boyfriend beats you up and you know you're afraid of him, so you're like, I wanted, I actually don't want to press charges. But if there's evidence and the cops have it or blah blah blah, they actually that's up to the district attorney or something like. It's up to whomever would like to press those charges regardless. And so even if that guy was like, oh, she got whatever, it might still just be up to the whatever the district attorney of Italy type of thing. Yeah, Cidy would be, who will still just follow through on those charges?
Speaker 2: Well, that's out of her hands. Maybe was as well. That was local prosecutor Giuliano Manini who really made Amanda Knox his life a living hell. He has since admitted that he was operating on not much more than a quote gut feeling like I'm hearing, but he was convinced that Amanda and her boyfriend at the time, the guy she was kissing on outside the house, This guy, Rafael Solasito, that these two killed Meredith during some sort of like wicked sex game. Also he posits that Rudy gued was involved too. But now, who is Rudy and how does he why is he in the house?
Speaker 3: Rudy what Rudy was a burglar? Unrelated to the sex games of this man's imagination.
Speaker 2: Exactly Who's who Rudy is? The guy who they found all of this DNA, bloody hand princes Prince inside, the only forensic evidence that was ever found that connected a person to this crime.
Speaker 3: He's a just a man of happenstance, like there happened to have been a burglary happening whilst but I thought Amanda wasn't home originally.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, that's the stories here kind of were all over the place.
Speaker 3: So I'm saying, like there's a version which has been laid out to me and the cops where presumably this house is more than one bedroom. Amanda and fucking Ricky Salami whatever his name.
Speaker 2: Was, We'll go with Ricky Salami, Ricky.
Speaker 3: Salami the boyfriend. They're canoodling in her bedroom whilst a burglar breaks in and also kills a woman and then discover the body. Presumably the cops come and she decides at the time to continue with Ricky Salami and some cartwheeling.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's about as as sensible of a case as the cops ever really put together here. So I'm just trying to figure out how everyone's home, you know, basically the only person. All that really matters, because we're not doing a deep dive into this case. All that really matters is that the forensics say that Rudy gued was definitely there and involved. Giuliano Menini has a gut feeling that Amanda and Raphael were also involved, and so he put forward a number of theories about why they all may have been there, even though there's never any evidence that Amanda was there or not. And we kind of get to this a little bit later, but Minini is still convinced that, yes, Amanda, even though she's been cleared of this crime, she was there and involved somehow, But he doesn't know how. He can't prove it. El and there's idrosecution's fucking job is to prove beyond the shadow of a no. And I don't know that there's ever been you know, Amanda has been cleared of all guilt. I don't know that there was ever like an airtight alibi that she was somewhere else anyway. As recently as twenty sixteen, in a documentary that re examines the case, Minini was still leaning into this theory. He said, I have to remind you that her Amanda's behavior was completely inexplicable, totally irrational. Amanda was a girl that was very uninhibited. She would bring boys home and hearing Meredith's friends. If you could imagine a girl different from Amanda in every imaginable way, it would have been Meredith.
Speaker 3: But being promiscuous and acting weird is not what's on trial here.
Speaker 2: No. But but you know this is again, this is Italy.
Speaker 3: You know, the same reason this asshole twenty thousand years later, still sticking to his story. They're a prideful, misogynist and race racist country.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The motives put forth by the prosecution were all over the place. From the motive that Amanda was in competition with Meredith over who was the quote alpha female of the house.
Speaker 3: Is that a thing?
Speaker 2: I don't know they invented it.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm surprised they were willing to admit that a lady.
Speaker 2: Could be alpha. Yeah. To one motive was that there were mounting tensions over claim endliness and lifestyle differences because Amanda was like a mess and a crazy lady.
Speaker 3: I didn't no, killing your roommate was an option for that, or else I'd be down a bunch of roommates for that move.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it almost doesn't really matter what motive the prosecution put forward, because once this Mussolini train of justice left the station, absolutely nobody could stop it. Oh my god, Knox and Ricky Salami are convicted in two thousand and nine Slam. They're convicted of the crime. In two thousand and nine, they're quitted. In twenty eleven, they are reconvict.
Speaker 3: Slippery Salami he got out of it.
Speaker 2: He did. He's reconvicted in twenty fourteen, so that Slippery Salami is up slipped back in the casing. And then they were finally fully exonerated in twenty fifteen by the Italian Supreme Court, which wrote a report using phrases like quote sensational investigative failures end quote guilty omissions by the prosecution phrases you really never want to see connected to a court.
Speaker 3: Case, or if you're them, you definitely want to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Amanda and Ricky Slam each ultimately spent four years in prison for a crime that everyone with eyes could basically see that they didn't commit. No, but wait, when does fucking Gweedoak come in? Well? Gweed was always in the background because he was I'm saying, was he ever yes, a suspect?
Speaker 3: Is he ever convicted?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, yes, Well we'll get to that in a second. This was a weird little detail about this case. Amanda Knox and Menini, the prosecutor, have struck up sort of like a weird friendship after all of this.
Speaker 3: The prosecutor and Amanda Ox, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They regularly exchanged greeting cards and personal life updates. Like I said earlier, the prosecutor, Menini insists that she was president at the scene of the crime. He says, quote, Amanda has changed a lot, and I think I can say that I know her. We have different ideas about the trial that involved us. Yeah, it seemed like that was very publicly you had different ideas, But now I have a good opinion of her.
Speaker 3: Cool is that going to buy her four years better. No, not for in prison.
Speaker 2: For Knox's part, the friendship with Menini is away, she says, of defanging a person who is a boogeyman in her life for so long, she says, quote, whether directly or indirectly, he kept being a presence in my life because he was the one who portrayed me as this girl gone wild who out of the blue murdered her roommate. My goal was to understand him. There was this deep curiosity in me to try to understand the person who decided that I was a dangerous person who deserved to spend the most years of my life in prison. And this is this is really just the tip I got married. No, no, they did it. Like I said, this is all really just the tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm sure there's thirty documentaries called like a Hard Knocks Life or something that will tell you more than we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I sort of said earlier too.
Speaker 3: They'll probably use people's real names. They're not like Guido the Guinea and Ricky Salami.
Speaker 2: The tabloids were as guilty here as the prosecution when it came to portraying Amanda as this dangerous sexy harlot, and the case really featured no shortage of racist and sexist assumptions and accusations that all kind of added up to this over and.
Speaker 3: It makes headlines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, made headlines. Rudy Gweed, as you were asking for his part, he was convicted, sentenced to thirty years in prison, that was then reduced to sixteen, and he served thirteen years with an early release granted in November twenty twenty one. Is that because they couldn't tie him to the sexual.
Speaker 3: Assault and throat slitting of a woman. I feel like you shouldn't get thirteen years for that.
Speaker 2: He served the final year of his sentence to via social services and community service. So the final year of his reduced, reduced thirteen years was served through community service.
Speaker 3: All right, any Italian vigilanti's a list, And I mean we didn't say that.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, let's not. Legally, we're not encouraging anyone to find anybody. But here's the thing that really struck me when I was prepping for this episode. Because of the media surrounding Amanda Knox, she's sort of treated as the modern poster child for false accusations and the and the feeling I think a lot of people have is that she's this unique miscarriage of justice, that this like that this case is so special because this never happens. But unfortunately, cases like Amanda's happened all over the world, and more often than we would like to think. Now, because I can hear some people probably screaming at the podcast already and ed you or maybe even thinking this, Yes, the common law system we have in many Western countries is better than the alternatives. I wasn't thinking anything. Okay, I agree with that statement. Probably by common law, I just mean the adversarial defence versus prosecution in front of a jury system. Okay, those are the cases we're mostly going to be looking at in this episode. Obviously, in countries with dictators or religious courts, there are plenty of people who also find themselves imprisoned or dead for things that they didn't do, probably at higher frequency, probably at a higher frequency. But I think one of the things that's really uncomfortable for us is that our system, the Western system, is built on the promise of equality and fairness.
Speaker 3: I mean, they have that statue, they're probably building that statue.
Speaker 2: Was the last time they thought about it, but yeah, and you know, if you're in a country run by a dictator, you know, maybe it's a little more expected. But in the West, these things aren't supposed to happen. We have this fairness and justice. We get to the truth really, the fact that these things aren't supposed to happen but they do. The horror there actually reminds me a little bit of our episode about waking up during surgery, where it's like, we have access to all this incredible medicine, but that doesn't mean that things can't go wrong, and that when they do go wrong, the suffering is unimaginable. The Innocence Project, a nonprofit that's been working since nineteen ninety two to use DNA evidence to claw innocent people out of American prisons, has freed more than two hundred and fifty people in that time, which breaks down to about seven people per year, which, make no mistake, is an incredible victory, but it fails, I think to illustrate how widespread the problem of false accusations and convictions really is. Because you hear, oh, they free seven people a year. Okay, we've made some mistakes, but that's not six kids are killing their parents a week. That's true of you. So the kids who kill their parents.
Speaker 3: I mean, the numbers are not as impressive as the kids who kill their parents' numbers.
Speaker 2: The scale becomes a little clearer when you look at it this way.
Speaker 3: They have eight people working there for.
Speaker 2: Free, kind of h I mean, I don't know what the numbers of who works there, but the Innocence Project I'm pulling all these numbers from their website. They only take cases in which newly discovered or re examined DNA evidence could prove the prisoner's innocence. Okay, so they don't.
Speaker 3: They're not. They don't have the resources to fail a lot at this. So let's let's go with our best foot forward on cases that we actually can maybe help.
Speaker 2: Right, that are very clear, black and white. You know we have the DNA or we don't. This was not available when you were right, and now it is so narrowing. That window means that they only could even theoretically take on about five to ten percent of convictions, which is about how many people. The number of cases that are that hinge on this DNA evidence, narrowing the window to just those cases, they still receive somewhere between six to eight thousand letters per year. Okay for people who are saying, my case hinged on DNA evidence, you guys could get me out. Now, of course, it's unlikely that every single person writing those letters is innocent.
Speaker 3: Now, my mom is a big Have you tried just writing to Steven Spilberg? Yeah, I mean like so yeah, I mean, I'm sure there is an element of like, you know, one hundred percent of the shots you don't take, you miss whatever, So yeah, just write to the INNOCENTCE Project.
Speaker 2: But basically what we're looking at is they've they've received they received six to eight thousand a year, sixty five thousand letters since nineteen ninety two. So you gotta look at that and go, of those sixty five thousand letters, we have three interns and two unpaid full time employees. Well, are there really only two hundred and fifty innocent people in that pile? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, That's why I think it's probably an infrastructural like we don't have enough help in money.
Speaker 2: And and again that's sixty five thousand, that's two hundred and fifty people freed of sixty five thousand requests of five to ten percent of convictions. So the other ninety percent of convictions where the DNA evidence wouldn't help, there's still innocent people there too. I can't even Yeah who in prisons, Yeah we have. I think we're the most convicted nation.
Speaker 3: On the Earth or something like that. We have more there's more people in prison here than yeah capita.
Speaker 2: We have more people in prison than anywhere else on earth.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it actually it seems like there's maybe a reason to not find people listen, yeah, if they can help it.
Speaker 2: But all of this is why I'm putting a link in the show notes so that you can donate to the Innocence Project. We're going to donate to the Innocence Project in the show's name, and if you feel so inclined, either already or by the end of the episode, I would encourage you to donate to the Innocence.
Speaker 3: I'll say, I'm fine with donating to the Innocence Project. But this is a little bit like when I would bring my friend with me to ask my parents if he can sleep over for the night. Is this is the first time hearing of it, But I am very comfortable donating to the Innocence Project.
Speaker 2: What's even scarier than just being falsely accused and ending up in prison and begging the Innocence Project to help you get out. Is that not everyone who's falsely accused gets a long life sentence that they can cross their fingers. Now I can do appeal and appeal and appeal. Some of these innocent people end up on fucking death row, which does.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of those people do it get to appeal and appeal and appeal and appeal for a long time. I don't know if it's like a Jewish burial or something where it's like they gotta be in the ground.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, or something of a window that's not closing.
Speaker 3: I don't know death row. I know how your anti death penalty. I was pro death penalty only if the person is so objectively guilty. But now in the world of AI and like deep fake ability, it's like now it seems things are less cut and dry for me, because it's going to be harder to tell the difference.
Speaker 2: Get this. In twenty fourteen, a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences took a statistical look at death row inmates in the United States between nineteen seventy three and two thousand and four, their conservative estimate was that at least four point one percent of people sentenced to death in America are factually innocent. Since nineteen seventy three, more than sixteen hundred people have been executed in the United States, so the state has murdered around sixty five people for something they didn't do. Well, that's why I was cut and dry. You need to be cut and dry.
Speaker 3: You can't. There can't be anything that's like hinging at anything in my version some people.
Speaker 2: But just a would be cutting. So what would be cut and dry? Like if you've kind of got were these victims skinning? Yeah? Yeah, that's pretty good example. In that same span of time, the Death Penalty Information Center has documented over two hundred death row exonerations. So they put the ratio like this, for every eight people we've executed in the modern era, one other person was sentenced to die that was found innocent before we got around to killing them, which feels like way too many people that were.
Speaker 3: But it's better than finding out after we got around to killing them.
Speaker 2: Well, sure, yeah it is, But you know, I think it's all it's all a strong argument that you know, the idea that the state should take lives is a it's a difficult pill for me to swallow. But these mistakes, I mean the thing I would say that the death penalty, I don't see.
Speaker 3: It acting as the deterrent we'd hope it would be, because I guess we're not the next day just killing people.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying so, if it's not actively deterring crime.
Speaker 3: Then I don't really see the benefit of it, other than if you've got someone who's cut and dry and you just want to erase that person, then erase a person, I guess, but I don't see that. It's I don't see that like people erasure is like, I don't see the net benefit of it.
Speaker 2: I will say this, The only thing I'll give you is that I would love to read a nineteen seventies like paperback pulp series called The People Eraser. I would definitely read that book. So these mistakes, though, also aren't new. There is old as courts themselves, maybe older, well, definitely older. I guess before courts, if you were falsely accused.
Speaker 3: You're getting stoned either way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened to you basically came down to how fast you could run.
Speaker 3: Exactly, which is why the case I keep any of what I said in It's gotta be there can be no shadow of doubt, and not through trickery of great legal Perry Mason minds. I mean, hey man, everyone was standing right there. Everyone was standing right there. Let's just erase this person.
Speaker 2: Stories of false accusations and wrongful convictions are, unfortunately the story of human justice. One of the earliest cases I could find tracks as it so often does on this show, back to ancient Greece, the birthplace of democracy, the land of philosophers and people who are just as likely to make mistakes in matters regarding life and death as we are today. As part of their complex and sophisticated society, the Greeks employed a board of ten treasurers known as the Heleno TAMIAI. These men were the most senior, most trusted, being counters in the Greek speaking world, and oversaw the funds and taxes that were paid by members of the Athenian Empire as tribute to the empire. While not an easy job, because from the research I did, it sounds like just like people who do this work today. The payments came in from all over, sometimes partial, sometimes late, you had to go track it down. It was otherwise a pretty boring and safe job most of the time.
Speaker 3: Caybe that's safe. I mean money is not a computer.
Speaker 2: Well it wasn't this time, because in four forty BC, these financial masterminds made a clerical error that would cost them their lives. Somewhere around that time, for forty PC, there was an audit of the books, and the audit appeared to show that the Heleno TAMIAI had skimmed money. The Greeks, in their wisdom, arrested and tried these guys one by one and found all ten of them guilty. They were each put to death except this last guy, Sosius. And that's because at some point in all of this someone rechecked the math and it turns out there was no money missing at all. Oh no, they were missing. Now they're missing nine and they were missing a bead on the avacus. Basically, yeah, someone slipped the bead the wrong way and nine people died. So the Helena to me I had done nothing wrong, as I'm sure they each probably loudly proclaimed the court before they were killed. Our only source for this story is that this guy Antiphon mentioned it in a courtroom speech he wrote for someone else's murder trial, which I think we touched on these courtroom speeches that people gave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Cicero, it was in Rome.
Speaker 2: But still, yeah, we have another Ciso story coming up here in a minute. He was no, but yeah, So we may not have the whole story here. We don't have a ton of surviving information about these guys, but it must have.
Speaker 3: Been a famous enough event that they was able to use it in like his arguments that it was understood that people know who the fuck I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and I thought it was just an interesting place to start with the history of false accusations because it's a documented case in ancient history of people going you're guilty, You're guilty, and them going what are you talking about? No, I'm not. And really, back then there was not much of a way out of it. I'm glad for Sosius's sake that somebody rechecked the math. I don't know whose job that was, but luckily that person was better at it than these ten guys.
Speaker 3: Just don't or Socio, the birthplace of sociopath. Yeah, Socio was better at making the argument that someone should reach out than the previous nine people.
Speaker 2: I guess so, yeah, the masterminds of the Greek system killed nine guys who really didn't deserve it. But how about the Romans. Those guys seem to have a good thing going. How would they fare three hundred and sixty years later when faced to the case that featured accusations even more sinister? What year was the first one? Four forty BC? I thought it was three sixty BC. I'm like, are we doing Jesus? No? No, no, no, no, no, okay, although way, I guess yeah, he would be a pretty famous falsely accused guy. Now, the Romans, three hundred and sixty years later, were faced to the case that was even more sinister than a ripoff sensor test. This actually ties into our last episode, or not our last episode, but a few episodes ago about kids who killed their parents, because the case in question here involves a man named Sextus Rossius who is accused of killing his father. But let's back up a little. There were actually two Sextuses involved here. Sick so awesome that we're doing this on no sleep. Extremely confusing.
Speaker 3: Also, it sounds like the guy who tried to try a man in Ox may have used the same exact sentence.
Speaker 2: There are two sextuses involved here, Sextus the Junior and Sextus the Senior. Okay, though back then they were just sextist Rassius and Sextus raw. And I can't believe anybody was able to build a functioning society in a world where you could just name two people the same thing. But in any case, Sexist Senior was a very wealthy man who was stabbed to death on the streets of Rome while walking home from a dinner one night in eighty one BC. Hate to hear it, suspicion fell on Sexist Junior.
Speaker 3: That's not where I would have gone.
Speaker 2: And he was where would you have gone? Was walking home? Yeah, who're just somebody's they have him like he was a robbery, you know what I mean? Like it was a like he was held up. Well, when you hear that someone was like coming home from work and they were killed and like their wallet take it. You don't immediately go like I bet their son did. Well, his wallet wasn't taken. It said he was rich, his property was We'll get to that in a second. Oh jeez, Sexist Junior was formally accused of patricide in court not long after. Now sexist Junior claimed he had nothing to do with the death of his father. If you haven't listened to kids who kill their parents, you should go do that, and you should learn about the Roman punishment for killing your mother or your father. Oh yeah, so you understand that sexist Junior was facing the sack. Oh shit, dude, and the sack is mean as hell. So in a desperate attempt to escape the sack, Sextist hired Cicero Okay, at the time, a fresh faced twenty six year old lawyer. He would go on, aged Yeah, you would go on to become one of the most famous legal minds in history and a heavy hitter in Roman politics, partially because of the outcome of this trial.
Speaker 3: You know, that's how fucking what's his head? Julius Caesar started in the court system, and he would he would defend much to the chagrin I feel like of other people in the courts and all his other shit. He would So basically, the Romans would go and take your place, and it'd be like, you're part of the empire. Now you have to give us like we get. We would still a governor and you pay like this guy taxes essentially, and the governor was almost always a piece of shit, right, I think that was like Julius Caesar's wasn't culturiouses at the time, but I'm saying like, I think that was his.
Speaker 2: He defended people from.
Speaker 3: Those places who had gripes or grievances with their new landlords or new installed governors, and which is apparently an unpopular thing to do, yes in you know Rome. Yeah, And so that's like, so he was like his early career was like he's fucking for the people, like he's one of us.
Speaker 2: Well, and Cicero faced a similar but he was young, I'm saying young like this in his twenties, Cicero faced a similar sticky wicket with this murder trial because it was also a political minefield. At the time, Rome was under the thumb of a dictator named Sulla. Sullah was bad news from the beginning. He was a general who took power by marching on Rome. He oversaw the massacre of six thousand prisoners of war and initiated public lists of individuals deemed enemies of the state, who were then brutally hunted down and killed yeah, you're supposed to leave that army outside of the walls. Over five hundred and twenty victims were formally listed, and thousands of others were likely murdered from this what was known as a proscription list. So that's all important because it was very curious that the Rassius family estates were added to the proscription list by a man named Lucius Cornelius Chrysogonus, who was a powerful freedman or slave who'd been freed and was loyal to Sulah the dictator. Okay, so sexist senior is killed. I will say this about ancient Rome, it does seem interesting. Yeah that I might be misremembering this, but it did feel like one of those societies that we kind of didn't get again for a long long time where it was like the only place, it seems like where you have stories that was like born a slave, Yeah, ended up owning half of downtown in Rome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like they or like born a slave has a talent in baking, ended up making the fucking wedding cake for the like it's there was a weirdly a way to move up sure that society where like you just simply wouldn't see in like medieval feudal societies and shit, we're like born a slave, slave for life, born a farmer, farmer for life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: You run into characters like this guy who was like freed slave who's super powerful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this guy, this guy flexed his muscles because sexist senior is killed. And then chrysogonists adds his estate to this list of property that can be claimed by the state. Okay, and then wouldn't you know who bought the.
Speaker 3: Estate at pennies on the dolls?
Speaker 2: Pennies on the dollar chrysogonists, and by we actually know the in trouble for that, We well.
Speaker 3: Guy wanted his house back.
Speaker 2: It's his family's house back. No, it's not his family's house. Oh I thought the sun bought it back. No, I who accused the son bought it for pennies? Yes, that's worse. Yeah, you want to hire a lawyer there. And we know the numbers. It was worth nearly six million sistercees, which I guess was there at that time at the time, and chrysagonists snapped it up for around two thousand. Dude, that's like the TikTok sale. That's insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of seems like crupture there too, But I'm saying, like that is a real devaluation of something we all knew was worth more. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, according to Cicero, within nine days of Sextus Senior being killed, Chrysagonists had purchased the property, placed a relative of Sexus's named Titus Rochius Magnus in charge of the property, and had Sextus Junior evicted. Okay, but there was a member of his family who made out like a bandit. Yeah, he's in charge of the property, cousin basically, and there's actually there were actually two. So Sextus gets evicted and flees Chrysogonus, Titus Magnus, and a third man, confusingly also named Titus Rossius Capito.
Speaker 3: I think there was, like I was reading something, there was like a thing where everyone had the same name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like like for real, it was like a normal thing, so that people knew what lineage you were. Yeah. I think they basically just like kind of we've sort of flipped first names and last names, where like you know, your family lineage is now named by your last name. And I think they were doing it by first man who knows whatever doing who knows what? What? What these three motherfuckers got up to though, was they banded together, they went to court and accused Sextus of murdering his father.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so that then they all made out like bandits.
Speaker 2: Yes. Add to that the fact that Sexist Junior was not even in Rome the night of the murder, things start to look pretty suspicious. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But if you can get him in the sack fast enough, which is why I said, it's got to be open and shutcase for the for murdering his guys random murder the next day, that's a problem, the peason of real buying.
Speaker 2: The problem for Cicero was because Chrysagnus was Slah's boy. He couldn't just walk into court and be like, this guy did it, this guy orchestrated this murder, the guy who's running Rome as his buddy. Yeah, because then Cicero himself might not survive the trial.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: So, according to a summary of the case that I found on Stories of Antiquity, Cicero suggested that Sexist Junior neither wanted to nor had the opportunity to kill his father, and that he did not have the quote depraved and vicious nature to carry out such an act.
Speaker 3: He brings up like thirty witnesses to like character witnesses to testify that he's a fucking spineless little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. He was like, this is getting mean. On the thirtieth witness, He's like, this is what's gonna save your life. Shut up the prosecutor. Although this was a little confusing because some places I found said that the prosecutor used this argument, and then other places said that Cicero used this argument. But at some point one side I believe the prosecution brought up a qui bono argument or the who benefits argument. Don't even know what that okay, Qui bono is a legal phrase that means who benefits. It's a way of looking at so pro bono means no one for free?
Speaker 3: Yeah for free? Is all I think of. Yeah, sonny bono?
Speaker 2: The argument?
Speaker 3: The problem long enough what it meant.
Speaker 2: The prosecution's argument seems to have been that if the upstanding trio of chrysogonists Capito and Magnus had not stepped in that sextist Junior would have walked away with the spoils of his father's estate. So his argument was, look who, look who was to benefit Sexist Junior, and these guys, thank God for them coming around to make sure that that didn't happen. Okay, But in a defense known as the pro rostio, the Rachamon defense, or eighteen different people saw eighteen different things, he did in a defense known as the pro rascio Amerino defense, that we have it survived in its entirety. Cicero added that argument by pointing out that no chrysoginist benefits a lot more since he's currently sitting on six million sisterices of stolen property. And he also took great pains to make sure that his argument didn't implicate the dictator Sullah at all. He called Sullah a most illustrious and valiant citizen and let the question of acquittal of Sextist Junior quote rest with Slah himself. A conviction was a threat to the noble institutions that Sullah was attempting to restore, and so he had to find Sextist Rassius not guilty and therefore accept that that chrysogonists had acted wrongly. You know what, did you even take over this place by force?
Speaker 3: Four? If not to be a just man man.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's no evidence that charges were brought against either of these other three guys kept the house sexist Junior. Well, I'll get that in a second. So there's there's no evidence charges were brought against these three guys. No record exists of Chrysoceness after the trial, so he may have angered Sulah by participating in this. There's also no evidence of what happened to Texast Junior after the trial. Some I would say most of the historians that I looked at for this thought that he would have reinherited his land, but there's no evidence one way or the other. We do know that that that very house is where a man was rendering yeah, bump bum. We do know that Cicero, after this case was over, left Rome to what he said was to tour Greece for his health, which may have been a Roman way of saying I'm gonna lay yeah. And then Sullah died two years later, and so Cicero was able to turn and become the famous man that he did. So normally, this would be the point where we would take a finer look at our fears as it changes and evolves throughout history. But we're going to take a massive jump from the Roman forum to the modern era. Okay, there are plenty of cases of false accusations in between, not to mention the entire sale and witch trials that could fit in here, But the details of the modern cases that I want to cover are so wild and unbelievable and infuriating.
Speaker 3: That's why it's just an Episode's not been fun so far, because it's the infuriating part. Like I hate hearing.
Speaker 2: About people who get fucking fucked over, Yeah, I hate it. That's why it's a it's a real fear. Yeah. The first case that I want to talk about is known to I think most people of our generation basically as a punchline O J. Simpson, Well that too, clearly the most falsely accused man in history. And when I say, Dingo, you say my baby, my baby, do you know where that saying comes from or whild Australia it does come from a woman? I assume I think it's a lady. Yeah, not, I assume that women would have just say I think it was a lady and her kid is gone and accused the Dingo of of making sure that happened. And I think making sure.
Speaker 3: I think it was the dingo has the did eat the baby or at least took the baby.
Speaker 2: Do you know what a baby was? Dingo?
Speaker 3: Dingo raised by a dingo?
Speaker 2: Do you know why we think of it as a joke because I didn't know this.
Speaker 3: I I don't know why it's thought of as a joke, but I do know that it seemingly exists in the same weird place in cultural history as when you look into the person who burnt their legs with McDonald's coffee, it actually they.
Speaker 2: Did deserve the money money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this is in tandem with that, where it was like one of those upon further inspection, we should never have been part of monologues.
Speaker 2: Yes. The reason it entered the American lexicon though, and I didn't know this, is that there is an episode of Seinfeld. Oh yeah, yeah, that's that's what made it a popular The Dingo eight my baby, Yeah, came from that episode of Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: Double dip came from Seinfeld. YadA, YadA, YadA comes from Seinfeld.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Seinfeld is responsible for like an insane number of ubiquitous and culture things.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's pretty wild.
Speaker 2: It's funny, though, I'll put the clip in the show notes and you know, famously, I've never watched that much Seinfeld, and it's something that I do want to start from the beginning someday. My parents when I was growing up, it's the best show ever made. That's what I hear.
Speaker 3: I don't know why it's not higher on lists.
Speaker 2: I've never been I've never been a big sitcom guy. It was one of my parents ever watched sitcoms, and they thought that like Friends in Seinfeld were like dangerous to society. Friends was fine.
Speaker 3: Seinfeld's unbelievable. You rewatching parts of one and all of the other a million times. Seinfeld's just mind bogglingly good and loving it when I was young. It's a thing whereupon rewatch, you're like, oh, it's the one with that in it, or it's the one with this in it, or that's the episode.
Speaker 2: Famously, how Friends episodes, well that's what.
Speaker 3: They're title, but they're fuck them. The The thing is is that I bring it.
Speaker 2: Up many reasons I hate Friends. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The real I bring it up though, is when rewatching the number of times I was truly blown away by the fact that the I sometimes when I think that, oh, that's the one with this that's a b story, even the same episode that has a equally, that's the one way, like there are episodes where you think of them, they're each thing is so iconic that they must have been their own episodes, but sometimes too iconic. That's the one with is in one fucking Episode's I can go all there's probably ten twenty thirty billion podcasts about Seinfeld, but it's just it's just mind boggling.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do I think they deserved all the money they got? No? I think that that that the fact that.
Speaker 3: All these deals were closed and never opened again to the remainder of people making television shows, that's a loss. That's a bummer. But holy shit, is it good anyway? You've fucked up? Man, I'm not only about Seinfeld the whole rest of the episode.
Speaker 2: Now, if you watch the clip, it is just funny?
Speaker 3: Is Elaine Bennas says it?
Speaker 2: Elaine says it. Yeah, But it's something that if you watch it now and you weren't alive at the time, like you watched the clip, it barely makes sense. You're like, why is what? What is she? Like? What the fuck? Dingoweight ma baby? But it was a news yeah, at the time it was. But if you watched it now you'd be like, why is this even a joke? I don't understand what's happening.
Speaker 3: Well, I think because, I mean, what else are you going to talk about that episode that Jerry was dating a seventeen year old.
Speaker 2: In real life. Yeah, I feel like it's better to talk about other things than dudes. Anyway. At the time that the episode aired, at Lane's line was a reference to something that had been in the news, the tragic tale of Lyndy Chamberlain. So come with me, listener back to August seventeenth, nineteen eighty the Australian outback at Uluru, at a place formerly known as Ayr's Rock, which is this I'd never heard of it before, but it is this massive sandstone monolith right in the center of the country, in Land that is about in the center of the country. Yeah, there's nothing inhabitable in the center of the country. Yeah, right, it's inhospitable, uninhabitable, but it's beautiful. The rock itself. It a The best way I can describe it is that it almost just looks like a big lump in the carpet of the earth, like it just sort of rises up and it's huge. And one of the reasons it's famous is because when the sun sets, it lights up like all these different colors. It's beautiful. But it's at this place, in the middle of the summer that a Seventh day Adventist pastor named Michael Chamberlain and his wife Lindy go camping with their three children. One of their three children is a nine week old baby girl named Azaria, which seems young. Yeah, you could not have paid me to take Felix camping at nine weeks old. At nine weeks old in the center, on the center of the sun, like on the surface of the sun in the middle. Yeah, babies have to feed every two hours. They sleep a lot, but they also wake up a lot. Yes, but this is their third kid. Is their third kid. They threw it in a backpack and said, funny, Yeah, I don't I think all the things you dealt with. I think by the third kid you need diapers and supply just I don't know why you would. But anyway, why does their religion matter? Well we'll get to that in a minute, okay. According to an article on Famous trials dot Com, quote Lindy Cradling Azaria in her arms explored a formation called Fertility Cave. Just outside the cave, she looked up uneasily to see a dingo staring at her. She would later tell a detective that she had the feeling the wild dog was quote casing the baby. In any case, did bother her that much, because around eight o'clock that night, Lindy puts Azaria down in the tent and heads back to the campfire to join the adults. Ten minutes later, she hears the baby screaming. She rushes to the tent and sees the dingo coming out, dragging something behind it, and his area is gone. Lindy lets out a scream that would eventually become one of the most mock lines in history. A Dingo's got my baby.
Speaker 3: Even knowing it's a it's a misnomerk, the one we all know is not actually the.
Speaker 2: Thing she said, right, Well she she did. I think she did actually say later, A dingo ate my baby? Well, she said, A Dingo's got my baby.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying in the moment, I think a dingo ate my favorite is the one we all know, Yes, yes, yes, yes, I'm saying the way that everybody misquotes like Star Wars Luke, Luke, my father, that's not.
Speaker 2: What he said. They misquote or is it a Mandela effect? I don't. The only person who would know is upstairs. I don't fucking memorize God. Three other campers heard her scream. A woman named Sally Love had seen a dingo lurking just a few feet behind her near the trash bins only minutes earlier. There were dingo tracks all around and inside the tent, there were drag marks in the sand, and even the chief ranger at Aluu, a guy named Derek Roff, had been writing desperate letters to the government for two years begging them to deal with the aggressive dingoes.
Speaker 3: And yet there was a tourist who was doing cartwheels nearby, and that person was arrested for the baby. Yeah, the baby.
Speaker 2: We should pause for a second here, I think to cover what exactly a dingo is, because outside of this specific case, the idea that dingoes are dangerous is and dingo is not their species. I think it's baby. Just what you call it a wild dog? Well, what you're saying, so you you do you know what a ding You know what a dingo is. It's basically a whild it's a wild dog. Yeah, it looks sort of like a coyote, fox wolf hybrid. It's cute.
Speaker 3: But I don't know it was something. I'm saying if you went to the Museum of History, or if you went to the Museum of Natural History in Australia and they have a bunch of like stuffed animals, would one say dingo or is dingo a colloquial term for kind of a wild rough wolf.
Speaker 2: No, it is the scientific name for a dingo, is Canis lupus dingo.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's a fucking dingo. I'm saying it's it's not it's not like, uh.
Speaker 2: It does sound like something you call a stupid person or like that fucking dingo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just saying that I didn't know if it was colloquial or it was just like any wild dog. That's that's I'm sure you'd be like fucking dingos around here.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's some you know, crossover just I don't care. I just wanted to know if it's called ding it is called a dingo. Okay, they are cute. I also think coyotes are cute, and everyone has to remind me not to go near them when I see them walking here on the neighborhood, And that's sort of what happened here. According to Wikipedia, tourists in parts of Australia found dingo's cute as well, and quote the tourism industry on the island encouraged people to approach dingoes without caution, and such encounters basically became expected by tourists. People lost their caution when dealing with dingoes more and more frequently, and the number of reported interactions they call them increased.
Speaker 3: I think I do wonder if it's something where it's like, ah, we just need to train the dingoes to be comfortable with people versus shooting all the dingo.
Speaker 2: Well yeah. A scientist named Bradley Smith, who had been researching wild dog behavior at the Central Queensland University, put it simply in twenty thirteen when he said the problem is with humans and not with the dingoes. Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: These people's ideas like, well, trade them to just be comfortable with humans.
Speaker 2: Dogs, the dingo dogs who were called aggressive were simply behaving naturally. Some research actually says that the dingo problem they were having. Is similar to the problem campers and the States have with bears quote bears a fucking no joke that we did that eating alive grizzlies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get me out of the woods.
Speaker 2: It is assumed quote that dingoes might have started to regard human food sources like garbage cans, leftover his handouts, whatever, as part of their territory, and that attacks on humans occurred because the dingoes then see humans as competitors to quote, you know, their food, okay, and they want to protect their food sources. And we do know. Actually, in this case, just moments before the dingo snatched the baby, Michael, the dad was entertaining his son Aidan by tossing crusts of bread to a dingo that came towards the camp, and Lindy actually said, you shouldn't encourage them.
Speaker 3: Okay, you think they're still together, I don't know. That led to a bunch of arguments when once their baby was dragged.
Speaker 2: Off back to Derek Ruff for a minute, he must have seen these warning signs. Maybe the dingoes were having food scarcity problems, or they were particularly irritated by the presence of people in their territory, but whatever the case, one of them snatched Azaria on that tragic night, and in February nineteen eighty one, the initial inquest found that Azaria had been taken by a dingo. It was open and shutcase. But the local cops did not like this explanation. One of them, John Lincoln, said, a dingo attack like this quote never happened before. That's a fact you can't beat. Never ever happened. He also scoffed at the possibility that a dog could lug a ten pound baby over hundreds of yards. To prove his point, he filled a pail with ten pounds of sand and challenged other officers to see if they could hold it in their mouth. That's not we're not built the same as it. This guy's an idiot. This this is some real I mean reading this, I was imagining super Troopers. Yeah, like, come on, man, a dragon Barba dude, this is it's a barba thing. So John Lincoln was just like, he's just a fucking asshole, an idiot, asshole, idiot who also dingo attacks had happened before a million percent. Is just they didn't get their best and brightest in the center of Australia's police force. Yeah, and there's so, as with most of the cases we're talking about today, this the actual sprawl of this case is crazy and long and so much shit.
Speaker 3: So I have noticed there as a common denominator. Yeah, it's a person in a position of power, whether it's the prosecutor or a law enforcement person, who is obstinate to the point of most people can't understand their judgment. To get these people railroaded to begin with, Yeah, someone who's you know, my gut told me this and no matter what happens, I'm not gonna believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, however long it takes.
Speaker 3: Or a person who was just like this lady's clearly lying because I'm a flathead who can't understand anything and I'm but I also have a badge, so I'm allowed to fucking Yeah, you know, say this person needs to go jail for I don't know what they did with their baby, but a dingo didn't take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so, there's there's a bunch of things that happened that led to what happened next. But essentially you had a bunch of cops who felt there's no way this could be accurate. Another investigator who came into the case, Detective Sergeant Graham Charlewood, his eyebrows shot up when he read notes in the initial report that cleared Lindy of wrongdoing. There was a note in there, for instance, the.
Speaker 3: Report that cleared her, or the report that he saw that would that he had an issue with that would later get her cleared.
Speaker 2: No, the report that the initial inquest that said we interviewed everybody, open shutcase that Dingo took the baby. There was some notes in that case file that made Graham Charles Woods the eyebrows shoot up off his head. One of those notes was that when Lindy brought Azaria in for a medical checkup recently prior to the yeah, the baby was dressed in all black. The examine I mean, the examining doctor is said to have been curious enough about the name Azaria to look it up in a dictionary of names and discovered that it meant an angel name sacrifice in the wilderness. I'm I'm is it? Did you look it up yourself? It doesn't mean sacrifice in the wilderness. It means whom God aids or helped by God.
Speaker 3: As I thought, like, it's probably like azerial or some shit like oh like yeah, like that angel or something from Dogma.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No. So basically you have one group of cops who think that dingoes are super cool and can't carry buckets of stand in their mouth or whatever. And then this other cop who you can see where this is going. It becomes almost a satanic panic kind of thing. He starts sniffing around this thing that looks vague.
Speaker 3: All satanic panic, by the way, every one of these has felt like a moral panic, Like every one of these have had something that says this person is not of moral fortitude, whether it's like Amanda Knox is a slut or fucking right, like, each person has had something that had to do with their own view of what of morality. Yeah, that let them put all ten toes in the ground that you're not going to change my mind on this.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's part of where here it's like we got.
Speaker 3: This devil baby and a lady who's a demon.
Speaker 2: That's part of where the Seventh day Adventist thing starts to become important. Because I don't really know much about Seventh day Adventists, but I do know from researching this case that at the time there were less than forty thousand Seventh Day Adventists in Australia, and so it was considered this sort of like suspicious religion. No one really knew what to make of it, and so the newspaper stories that grew out of a lot of these cop rumors were nuts. Like obviously there was there were headlines that the Chamberlains might have killed their baby as some kind of a ritual sacrifice. The news also.
Speaker 3: Reported they it was that like a fucking cave of fortill fertility, cave of fertility nearby. It seems like she had three kids. Don't think fertility was the problem.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, But.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, like the fact that it has like a weird name like that, for like could play up the sacrifice.
Speaker 2: There were also rumors that got reported on that the Chamberlains were linked to the Jonestown, the mass suicide that had happened a few years earlier, that somehow the Seventh Day Adventists church was involved in that, and that the that the Chamberlains were also somehow involved in that Australia. No Jonestown was in the Guiana.
Speaker 3: But I think I'm saying, like that's not even Oh, they were just saying that they might have been perpetrated by people of the same religious Yes, they're.
Speaker 2: Trying to make that comparison. Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, got And it didn't help that Lindy Chamberlain herself sort of like Amanda Knox, was enacting weird. Yeah, she was acting weird. She was soft spoken, she didn't cry. She wore black to a press conference, and that was, you know, the secret all they.
Speaker 3: Had at their house and the baby was dressed in black.
Speaker 2: But also wearing black to me is not that weird, but people saw it as like a satanic.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that, Like it's come up twice pre and post baby disappearance. I'm just saying that maybe black was on sale that year and they bought a bunch.
Speaker 2: She also said some admittedly weird things, like when they the cops asked.
Speaker 3: She's like, I didn't even like my baby, but I didn't want to see it dragged away by a dingo.
Speaker 2: The cops asked if she would go under hypnosis, stop it.
Speaker 3: You can't with this. That's such satanic, banic shit.
Speaker 2: It is. Her reply was, the church wouldn't allow it, and I wouldn't do it. God slew Saul for that. Do you know Saul and the Witch of Endoor? In this case, Endoor is not a Star Wars reference. Okay, it was a place in the Bible, So sure is where you got it. That's probably where you got it. Yeah. So no, the cops didn't know Saul and the Witch of Endor, but it sounded real spooky. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, all of these suspicions pressured the magistrate and coroner, this guy Dennis Barrett, to conduct what were.
Speaker 3: They had the body of the baby? No, okay, so what's the corner doing? What the fuck this person's task?
Speaker 2: Then they he was leading the inquest into the death because they had some of the baby's clothes that were ripped and torn. Okay, his black hood, Yeah yeah, they had. At his conclusion that he announced in front of television cameras was that Azaria quote met her death when attacked by a wild dingo whilst asleep in her family's tent. Neither of the parents were in any degree whatsoever responsible for her death, but there were a number of oddities concerning Azaria's clothing that convinced Barrett that quote, the body of Azaria was taken from the possession of the dingo and disposed of by an unknown method by a person or person's name unknown.
Speaker 3: You're saying that the baby was for sure taken by a dog, but then someone found the baby and dumped it somewhere else something like that, then put a bunch of dingo bites in the clothes to say. So, this person is saying there was like a weird cover up, like like, yes, her her story is true, but it doesn't end there.
Speaker 2: And I think I think my interpretation of this is that Dennis Barrett at this point was under a good deal of political pressure and was trying to find a way saw the news finish. The circital is just like, yeah, they're innocent, but I don't know. Someone buried the baby and something happened and whatever, let's just move on. But that would only lead to further questions. Dennis only led to further questions, so that question of who these person or person's unknown might have been fanned the flames, and after finding what they called quote copious amounts of blood in the Chamberlain's car, the state ended up charging Lindy with murder and charging her husband, Michael as an accessory after the fact. This is where I'm going to cut through a whole bunch of crazy case building. Basically, their theory was that Lindy slit her daughter's throat with nails's in the front seat of the car, a theory which was roundly rejected by many of the witnesses who were at the camp that night, and some of whom again saw the dingo. The prosecution could also never really put forth a motive again for why Lindy would do Why would you do it in a car?
Speaker 3: Whether it be blood everywhere, some.
Speaker 2: Vague gestures that sacrifices and satanism, But they did manage.
Speaker 3: They always say, you know, if you're gonna sacrifice your baby, make sure it's in a Chevy or why again, like the car, there's like nothing even there's no pomp and circumstance that you think of a sacrifice would require. Yeah, just in a passenger seat.
Speaker 2: They did manage to construct a wildly convoluted forensic case that essentially boiled down to two things. One is that most of his area's clothes had been found except for a white jacket that they insisted could only have been removed by a human That doesn't that to me seems even because there's no bite marks. Well, because they we couldn't find this white jacket and so part At one point the theory was that the white jacket must have been used to like clean up the crime scene and it had blood on it and then it was disposed of.
Speaker 3: In this family's fashion history, there's no way they even owned a white jacket.
Speaker 2: Well, it was on the baby when she disappeared and they never found it. So basically the prosecution was like, we couldn't find it. We found everything else, Like.
Speaker 3: They don't have little shovels, there's no way they can bury it. Yes, they absolutely can, because dog's bury bones.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yes. And two the prosecution had this big claim that they found all this fetal blood they called it just sprayed everywhere under the dashboard of the car. This argument worked in October twenty. On October twenty ninth, nineteen eighty two, Lindy was convicted of murder and sentenced to life with hard labor. She was pregnant at the time and the fertility cave WO worked. Yeah, so there was some magic in this shit. She actually gave birth to her fourth child behind bars. Her husband Michael received a suspended sentence as an accessory to murder. Public sentiment turned over the course of this case. I don't know what the fuck was up with Australia, but by the time this one was convicted, I'm Halloween almost people were literally like applauding the state, the state people in bars. It was like people were glued to their TVs.
Speaker 3: I mean she there is an interview with her on the news that that quote comes from the dingo eate the baby, Yeah, like the exasperated. I don't remember how it's using Seinfeld now because it's been while sin i've seen that episode, but I think the dingo ate my baby is the like exasperated, like no one's listening to me, the dingo.
Speaker 2: Ate my baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that that became the cultural meme at the time. I do not know why they would vilify this woman other than I think there's like Commonwealth countries don't they have like that tall poppy syndrome bullshit, right, like where they don't like anyone who's too rich or too popular or too like what in America we look up to that where other countries they want to cut it down. Yeah, And so maybe it was just like, get this lady off the fucking news.
Speaker 2: I don't know. They really didn't like her. Someone even invented a card game called dingo Ate the Baby, which I found is still for sale on the Upper Deck Cards website. Huh. If you want to know the description, it's this. Dingo Ate the Baby is a fast paced game for two to five players, lasting twenty to thirty minutes. The goal each day is to collect enough cards within your ranch in an attempt to reach the total value needed for that day without going over. This seems simple enough, but other players will attempt to sabotage your ranch, using animals, babies, sunlight and darkness to scare, chase, overpopulate, and even eat things within your ranch. Bullet point designed by industry legend Mike Elliott, dingo Ate the Baby is a brilliant variation on Rock, Paper Scissors, babies scaring elephants, elephants stomping lions, lions eating dingos, and of course Dingo's eating babies. Stop it is. You can go buy this right now.
Speaker 3: We don't have it. We have to donate the money to the Yeah sorry, sorry Innocents project. We had to buy Dingo the baby with that same money.
Speaker 2: Part of the reason that this was also fresh in the minds of people in the early nineties is that in nineteen eighty six, and here's the good news, a tourist, well, this isn't the good news. A tourist named David Brett fell to his death while climbing a luru. But while police were searching the scrub below a luru, looking, ironically enough, for bones of his that dingoes might have dragged away, because that's what dingoes do. White jacket, they found a tiny blood stained jacket near a dingo layer. It was azarias, the exact piece of clothing. The prosecution said could never have been removed by an animal, but it was real, and it had been removed, and it was sitting in front of the dingo layer for years. And all that baby blood that the cops found in the feet, it was not from a baby and it was not even blood. It was paint emulsion. The tests that had been conducted on this substance, we're just incredibly poorly done.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, did DuPont fill your baby with We have to ask everybody, did your baby have DuPont in it?
Speaker 2: And yeah, So between those two pieces of information, which the baby blood thing. Wait, so this was eighty she got this was eighty six. No, No, she was convicted in eighty She was convicted in eighty two. Okay, so she's four years yeah, four years breaking rocks. Yep. But then she was out within five days, I would fucking hope. So her convictions were quashed in nineteen eighty eight. Thank god.
Speaker 3: By the way, anyone could have been like, this is a this is such an embarrassment for us just to get rid of the jacket, like oh yeah, someone actually was like, hey, we found the jacket. Yeah, and not you know, the thin blue line of it all or something where it's gonna be like just fucking get.
Speaker 2: Rid of it.
Speaker 3: We didn't, you know, we don't want to look like idiots.
Speaker 2: She was given uh one point three million dollars in compensation.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it sucks to be in Australia and America. That would be like two hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well in nineteen ninety two, that was It's true, we didn't have.
Speaker 3: Like billionaires until like a day ago we did, But I mean it's not You watch a movie from just ten years ago and like the highest.
Speaker 2: Every super duper rich character.
Speaker 3: In it was worth like one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still so she got paid. But it took until twenty twelve, thirty two years for a final inquest to finally issue a corrected death certificate saying that a dingo killed Azaria m So it was a long road to justice. And I had to talk about this case because even though it's a crazy fucking thing, uh, and it's not the true nightmare of just someone being like, you know, I think this person killed their kid or whatever. It's basically what happened. They were just like And the fact that the fact that the first inquest was like, yeah, didn't go eat the baby. Everybody saw the didn't go eat the baby. There's footprints of the dingo where it ate the baby, Like, didn't go eat the baby. And then some fucking idiot was like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you had that idiot cop. And then you had just a bumbling attorney type person who, for whatever reason, under political pressure, said something extra stupid, added that extra step that was gonna be unnecessary.
Speaker 2: And that's where I could feel like my stomach I can put myself in those shoes and feel my stomach sinking of like.
Speaker 3: That's because you don't walk through life every single day. We should be, but we don't walk through life every single day being like, oh, how much of my life can be ruined because other people are fucking idiots, Like just truly human error, and like it took me a long time to realize, Like I'm not the smartest person by a fucking stretch, but like I meet people every single day where I'm like, are you actively reminding yourself to breathe with each breath?
Speaker 2: Like there are fucking people I meet where I'm like, Jesus, Chris, well, how do you? How do you get through the day's part?
Speaker 3: And that's when I realized, like kids, most adults are fucking idiots, So don't do anything adults.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's or your boss, your job. I've worked people, I've worked for people who were dumb.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 2: The fact that these people that we look to is like being the arbiters of justice are clearly so motivated by their own impulses and instincts and just drive forward on this stuff that if you're Lindy Chamberlain, you're sitting there going what the fuck did I do to God or the universe that like every you know, every time one of these motherfuckers opens their mouth, you're like, that's not it's just not what happened, and they're like, yeah it did. The state says it did, and that's what's gonna happen. Now.
Speaker 3: Did you ever see the net Central blocks?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah? To me is a top fear. It might be as scared all the time watch along.
Speaker 3: At some point it's a it's a ridiculous film that only the beginning where she goes to pizza dot net to order a pizza. Oh yeah, uh wild first shot too, like from like satellite shop. But anyway, the hey I'm a person and they're like, actually I just a race that you ever existed, Yeah, is fucking terrifying. But it also must feel a little bit like that same feeling must go into I must be crazy because everyone is saying I did this, or everyone is and I'm not. Must be the same level of Sandra Bullock being like, I've lived at one two three Bana Street my entire life, this is my shial security number and this is that and then pulling up the computer to be like, ma'am, you didn't. But also you're wanted by the FBI for a bunch of heinous crimes. We're arresting you. And it was like, no, just someone changed the computer thing.
Speaker 2: I did none of those things, but like that to me is so so scary. Yeah. Well in nineteen ninety five when that movie came out and you thought that could actually happen, and people were like, fuck, all right, we're gonna wrap things up with the case that I find the most disturbing because it doesn't have anything to do with the.
Speaker 3: Fruit flying here. It's fucking bothering me. I find that disturbing.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have anything to do with the media dog piling on an innocent person. It wasn't an ancient accounting error, it wasn't confused cops bubbling around the outback. It's probably the least likely to happen in a this could happen to U way, but it is the most fucked up in a I can't believe this actually happened way. So this takes us back to notting Hill in nineteen forty nine. So not the Hugh Grant version of notting Hill. This was more rotting Hill. Npteen nine, nineteen forty nine, England, England bombed out England. Timothy Evans was a twenty four year old Welsh truck driver who couldn't read or write, living in the top floor apartment at ten Rillington Place in notting Hill. One description I read of ten Rillington Place in notting Hill in nineteen forty nine describes it as such quote. Each unit consisted of only two rooms and shared interior stairways and hallways. There was no indoor plumbing. All residents shared a wash house in the small, unruly backyard, which contained a sink and copper for heating water, with an outdoor toilet beside it. The flats were illuminated by coal gas fed into the units by jets in the wall. Okay, two things. All of this was written in the ad.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately you could not read how bad the situation was when he agreed to move in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, two, it's me losing for apartments.
Speaker 3: Jets in the walls man. That Just like I told you, I was watching a silent film, yeah, like nineteen twelve or something where they had a gas heater that had like a hose coming out of the wall that you can swap the hose out for other types of accessories like other appliances could also use that gas hose, and it was.
Speaker 2: Just like, what a different time. Yeah, but this was forty years after that, almost, so you think they'd be beyond that. No. This was a bleak, post war working class neighborhood. And Timothy Evans was a bleak post war working class guy. He had a learning disability, a bit of a drinking problem, which today I imagine we would probably call a severe drinking problem yea, and he constantly fought with his wife, Beryl over their lack of money. They had a one year old daughter named Geraldine, and Beryl was pregnant with their second child. Their neighbor downstairs was a quiet, balding, soft spoken man named John Reginald Holliday Christie. What's his hair situation have to do with anything? He was his post office clerk and a former wartime special constable. He'd been in some minor legal trouble decades earlier for theft and assault, but he went by Reg and, like most guys who go by Reg, seemed pretty cool in reality. Though Reg Christie was a serial killer. He'd already murdered and buried two women. Ruth first, I'll.
Speaker 3: Tell you right now if you're I don't know where he's killing him, but if you're dragon bodies places, it's best to not be on the top floor.
Speaker 2: So the first floor for Reg makes sense. First, love of Rege makes sense. His first two murders, Ruth first, prostitutes, right, I don't know if they were prostitutes, but Ruth first. Actually, her last name is f U E Rst. I don't know if that's pronounced first, but she was first. And Muriel Edie in the garden at ten Rillington Place. And he'd done this during the Blitz, which I'm sure was an incredible time to be an active serial killer. Sure, if you're not familiar with the Blitz, the Germans bombed London for like sixty days in a row, so you could probably get away with pretty much anything you fucking wanted. Yeah, people were otherwise occupied. Yeah, Anyway, the Evans, Timothy and Beryl had no idea about Reg and his proclivities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they usually don't tell people, no.
Speaker 2: And when Beryl found out she was pregnant again with this second child.
Speaker 3: When they don't have any money and they're climbing up and down eighteen flights of stairs.
Speaker 2: They were desperate for help. Abortion was illegal in the US, but good old Rege was ever the helpful neighbor, and he claimed that he'd had some medical training from the Great War World War One, which he was a veteran of, and offered to perform a discreet abortion procedure on Beryl, and they agreed to let him help. On November eighth, Timothy Evans came home to find Christy waiting on the stairs of the apartment with a horrific story. The procedure had failed and Beryl was dead. He took Timothy upstairs. Christy is Reg. Yes, sorry, yeah, Reg Christy. Timothy came home to find Reg Christy waiting on the stairs with a horrific story. The procedure had failed and Beryl was dead. Rege took Timothy upstairs and showed him Beryl's body on the bed. Geraldine was still in a crib nearby, alive, and Reg told Timothy that he needed to run because if anyone ever found out that this abortion had happened and that Beryl had died, they would both rot in prison. So we're gonna you and I are on the run. Unlikely partnership. No, Timothy, You're on the run. And Reg told him I'll take care of everything. You get out of town for a while. Okay, So what he meant was, you know, I'll bury the body, you get out of town whatever. Okay, So Timothy left Geraldine behind because Reg said that he would. I forget exactly who he said he was going to give him to, but there was a plan for Geraldine. He left Geraldine behind and ran to stay with relatives in Wales. After a couple of weeks of being in Wales, Timothy's guilty conscience, I guess, got to him. He walked into a police station in Wales and blurted out, I have disposed of my wife. When the detective incredulously asked what he meant, Timothy replied, I have put her down the drain.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's a cop working there, being like, you can't put a person down the drain.
Speaker 2: Well by draine, did he meant like a sewer drain, not like the sink.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I don't know how incredulous the cops there were, just like in Australia, this is the same Commonwealth.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true, which is.
Speaker 3: A guy who's like, tell that guy to get out of here, I've you can't. I have a I have a sack of pennies.
Speaker 2: I'll show you.
Speaker 3: It's a shape of a woman. Yeah, we can't get this down the drade.
Speaker 2: Well, Timothy told the police which Draine, he put her down, and they went to go recover her body, but didn't find anything. No rats touck her. Clearly Timothy wasn't telling the truth. Again, he was not. He was had he had a learning disability, he was not fully functioning guy. I kind of imagine him almost like that guy from Making a Murderer, the nephew.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, the guy who was actually arrested.
Speaker 2: The guy. The guy who was actually arrested the nephew had a tough go of it too. Yeah, and in something Massy Yeah yeah, Brandon Massey. So anyway, clearly Timothy wasn't telling the truth about what happened to his wife or where she was not.
Speaker 3: Clearly he just didn't know. But to the cops, they're like, this guy's wasting her time.
Speaker 2: Well, the cops, the cops were like, why did you come into the police station and say you've disposed of your wife and told us to go look at Draine where she is what's going on? Where's your wife? And at that point he said, well, this is what actually happened, and he gave up Bredge. He gave up redg Regg did you a favor? Well, Rege was about to undo that favor real quick because when the police searched ten Rillington place, they found the bodies of Beryl and Geraldine hidden in the back wash house. Both of them had been strangled. Jeraldine's the baby, Geraldine's the baby and so.
Speaker 3: But also this guy, he's not maybe bright enough to have realized that the abortion procedure does not include like bruising around the neck and stuff. He wouldn't have noticed.
Speaker 2: I don't think he noticed exactly. No, what the investigators managed to somehow completely missed was a human thigh bone that reg Christie was using to hold up his garden fence and something like ed gean shit right there. And they didn't put two and two together about the fact that local kids a few months I believe it was earlier, had found a human skull in a nearby lot and turned it into the police. And that skull belonged to Muriel Eddie, who was one of his first victims.
Speaker 3: Extra surprising to me is no one was like, Hey, our apartment building stinks.
Speaker 2: Oh fucking stinks. There's a dead baby and woman who had been on the first floor for a while. That's how bad in a non ac rotting hill smell rotting hills dud. So the cops didn't piece any of that together, but they did focus on Timothy, who was illiterate, terrified, and gave multiple wandering confessions that all conflicted with each other. He eventually signed a confession that historians now believe was manufactured by the police. Yeah, you know, don't ever sign it.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the real problem there. But he retracted everything before trial and pointed the finger exactly where it belonged at reg said, this guy did it. The last time I saw my daughter alive was with him. But bah bah. The trial opened in January nineteen fifty and the article that I read said under British law at the time, Timothy was only charged with the murder of Geraldine, which seems odd, But I don't know. Britain in the fifties, maybe it was legal to kill your wife.
Speaker 3: I think it might have been. But also it might have something to do with like well, she died doing something that was illegal, so maybe in the gates her existence, I don't know, you know what I mean, It wasn't like, listen, this friendly neighbor tried to will add a abortion to his crimes, right, and like a botched abortion is not the same as killing a woman. Apparently I could see that being a thing in the eyes.
Speaker 2: Of the law, right Weirdly, Yeah, According to a legal article I found online, quote Timothy took the stand in his own defense and was the only witness called by the defense. He denied killing Beryl and Geraldine, and further testified that he only became aware of his daughter's death when he was told about it by the police, which he also said is part of why he confessed, because once he found out his daughter was dead, he didn't care about anything anymore and just confessed. He was not great on the stand the normally aren't. And yeah, and he was not a guy primed to do well on the stand, and things would get so much worse for him when the prosecution called their star witness, reg Christie. Are we even allowed?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess, right, But like it just seems like if it's the defendant and the plaintiff are the witnesses. I know, you put your hand up and you say, I'm gonna tell the truth. I don't know how often people when they get in that stand actually do, and like, at the end of the day, you can still lie.
Speaker 2: I just don't know why we would.
Speaker 3: It just seems weird that if your only witnesses are the two people whose names are on the fucking document.
Speaker 2: I mean, reg was a World War One vet, he was professional older, he was an ex cop. He was considered very respectable. I don't know why he was living in this slum that apparently there.
Speaker 3: Because twenty years earlier he was convicted of a bunch of shit, remember.
Speaker 2: Well right, but that was before he went to war. Anyway, the cops in this case trusted this guy. They put him on the stand, and you know it's his word against There are rotting corpses in his apartment.
Speaker 3: I think you lost the opportunity to be an upstanding citizen, even if you just said you found them there.
Speaker 2: Well, they weren't in his apartment. They were in the back so like the yard, Yeah, they were like in the shed in the back is where he put the bodies. Does he have access to the shed probably there you go.
Speaker 3: Don't believe it? Where'd you fucking say?
Speaker 2: Now? It took the jury thirty five minutes to decide that Timothy Evans deserved the death sentence. He was executed at Pentonville Prison on March ninth, nineteen fifty at twenty five years old, and died swearing he was innocent. Meanwhile, reg Christie went right back to ten Rillington Place and turned it into a slaughterhouse. By nineteen fifty two, he'd strangled his own wife, Ethel and hid her under the floorboards.
Speaker 3: And now it's like doublin demnity shit or whatever. They're not double demiti now it's like double Jeopardy shit where it's like no, because he wasn't the one convicted of.
Speaker 2: Well, right, he was also only accused of murdering well he wasn't. Yeah, he wasn't huge.
Speaker 3: So if he had gotten off for the crime, then he can do it with a community or whatever.
Speaker 2: But over the next few months he murdered three more women, Kathleen Maloney, Rita Nelson and Hectorina McLennon by gassing them. I assume with the jets in the apartment. Oh yeah, maybe and stuffing their bodies into a kitchen alcove that he wallpapered over. In March nineteen fifty three, he moved out, didn't take the bodies with him. I A rat dies in your wall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's a fucking problem.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you. This is how bad I think this area probably I think, yeah, just industrial. Yeah, he moved out, didn't take the bodies with him, and the new tenant decided to peel back the wallpaper and he found the three women's bodies. There's an alcove back here, Yeah, he found the three boys.
Speaker 3: Told there's place at nelcove.
Speaker 2: In this hidden alcove. Christy was caught and confessed to everything, including Beryl Evans's murder, although he never admitted to killing Geraldine. And he was hanged on July fifteenth, nineteen fifty three. So this guy got a quick trial. He moved out in March nineteen fifty three and was hanged on July fifteenth.
Speaker 3: And what sounds like our boy, the Welsh Welsh dude also got a quick trial. Unfortunately, this seems like these people. There was no sleep for the hangman in this now, no no no, But also nineteen fifty we hang in people.
Speaker 2: Yep, in nineteen fifty fifty something fifty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we're weird.
Speaker 2: The space race is happening. True, that's fifty fifty seven, but it seems seems late. Yeah, let's see when was the last person hanged. The last judicial hanging in the United States took place on January twenty fifth, nineteen ninety six. Something tells me it's not New England in Delaware. That's close though, Yeah, Delaware. Yeah, being the smallest state wasn't enough for you. You had to have another thing. Well, reg Christie had eight things, eight kills to his name, including Ethel, Beryl and Geraldine. And then four of these other murders only happened because Timothy Evans had already been killed for the crime that he didn't commit, and everybody assumed open and shutcase. Some of they should add Timothy to his kill list. True, Yeah, I mean it is literally like a serial killer. That's why this case is so insane to me. A serial killer got a man in a big man, Yeah, an innocent man convicted for crimes that he committed and got away with it. And so I think you should add Timothy to his body count. Yeah, I agree. The Evans case eventually became a cornerstone of the movement to end the death penalty in Britain, and alongside a bunch of other cases, it served as strong proof of why an irreversible punishment like the death penalty is a disaster are when you allow it to be part of a system. They got to be open shut, got to be open shut. The UK suspended the death penalty in nineteen sixty five, abolished it in nineteen sixty nine, and Timothy Evans was granted a royal pardon in nineteen sixty six. Didn't help him, No, couple of years too late to help Timothy Evans, and also didn't leave anyone behind. The whole family was obliterated, so the bloodline ends there. So who is this for? Yeah? Like what a grand child was?
Speaker 3: Like my grandfather's finally exonerated.
Speaker 2: I guess it was sort of the state, like just performative right by him. Performative, performative bullshit. Yeah, but we've been performing for a long time here on this episode, I think it's about time we hit the fear tier. Ed, where do you place being falsely accused on your fear tier?
Speaker 3: Unlike you which is to say that I've definitely did something. Now I dream about it every fucking night. I still I guess you have to place it it like at eight minimum, yeah, because you're only not falsely accused until you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so it's like I don't even think that I can do anything.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if I can live my life in such a way where I can avoid it. Like what the fuck was a friend of a friend just recently on Instagram had posted a story of like or they were on a podcast or something talking about how the cafe they write at and work at all the time, like all the time, they're always in there, DM them on Instagram to accuse them of stealing a book from their like little library thing they have in the cafe.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, And he was like, yeah, I didn't steal the book, and they were like, don't come back.
Speaker 3: But then eventually was like, well someone who works here said they saw you leave, and then.
Speaker 2: It was a cookbook or something something like like not even the life. It was like.
Speaker 3: A price of property to the to the cafe. And he was like, well I didn't or whatever, And then I guess later the another person from that account, the official like cafe account DMed them to be like, hey, we looked at the security footage, and I think what happened was the guy who took the book. You were walking by them at the exact moment they took the book, and so it's literally is a little bit of a bigger gentleman, and so it's like he may have like it fully eclipsed that person, so the book went missing. They looked up, they didn't see that person. They just saw you leaving, the dingling of the bell, and now you're getting DMS being like, give us back our book.
Speaker 2: Then this is not death penalty, but this is.
Speaker 3: Certainly a person who was just living in their life and all of a sudden, even if it's as minor as an insanely small as this, it's just like, hey, I'm being accused of stealing, like like finger pointedly, we saw there's a person here who saw you leave and then look down and the book was gone. And so that's why I say it has to be an a because this person was just living their life at a place that they go.
Speaker 2: To all the time. Yeah, and that's all it takes. And if there is a particularly gut feeling type prosecutor.
Speaker 3: And if there was no security camera where they were able to see that you walk by at the same moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can come from it's just the witness. It can come for anybody. A wee we.
Speaker 3: I did some mock trial thing in high school and there was they did something where like they had someone come into the room and like tell us something. We didn't know this person. It was just like, hey, we've an announcement, and then they left or whatever, and then like fifteen minutes later they were like, hey, what color shirt was that guy wearing and hot whatever? And then like half the fucking class got it wrong. Half the class fully was under the impression he had glasses. Yeah, And then they had the guy come back in.
Speaker 2: We didn't know.
Speaker 3: It was like part of a little trap, right, and the guy and it was like, oh, he didn't have glasses. It was like a not a purple shirt like the things that people remembered. And we were like twenty witnesses in the glass at that moment, and it was like, fuck, I don't I would never believe a witness testimony, not even because they're lying.
Speaker 2: They just misremember. And that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: This kid if there wasn't a security camera footage for this guy, it's just that witness testimony.
Speaker 2: If I saw him take the book, Well you know what that was that they did to you in school? The sigh up, the sinister test. Oh shit, senisor test, Ladies and gentlemen. We bring it back around for you every time. If you're driving, look in the back seats your car right now. Boom, Yeah, I put it in eight. False accusations are very scary to me. Our system is not prepared to deal with them particularly well.
Speaker 3: And by the way, to the point we've been making the second story or throw whatever, the ancient story. It really false acquisite acquisitions, false acquisitions, but it's called stealing. Yeah, false accusations whatever, even easier if you can get two friends in on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's like three people said you did this when you never did. Is even crazier because it's like, well, three people said it. So like the guy who said, oh, we wanted to kill his dad to take the house, there was three.
Speaker 2: People on the other bench, all of them lying. Yeah, And good on Cicero for making this get away with it. Is a real one, dude.
Speaker 3: Every time that guy comes up in this pod. Who knows if anything ancient history is even real, but.
Speaker 2: It's all Harry Potter probably yeah, but he's great.
Speaker 3: But anyway, you were saying, it's an eight.
Speaker 2: For you, it's an eight for me. It's very it's very frightening. It can happen to anyone for any reason, and I just hope that it never does. So until next time, I falsely accuse you of being a terrible host. He's pointing at me.
Speaker 3: If you can't if you're watching, he's not saying it to the person who's listening.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's true, but you might be a terrible host's eds, do you have a false accusation for me?
Speaker 3: No, you're great, Thank you, Ed, And I would never accuse you. I would never accuse you more than your own mind. Is it sounds like with these dreams.
Speaker 2: I'm tortured enough. Until next time, I'm Chris Calari and I'm Edvcola. The show is Scared all the Time. We'll talk you soon, Bye bye. Scared All the Time is co produced by Chris Calari and.
Speaker 3: Edvacola, written by Chris Calari, edited by Edvacola.
Speaker 2: Additional support and Keeper of Sanity is test fightful. Our theme song is the track Scared by Perpetual Stu and mister Disclaimer is.
Speaker 3: And just a reminder, you can now support the podcast on Patreon. You get all kinds of cool shit in return, depending on the tear you choose, we'll be offering everything from ad free episodes, producer credits, exclusive access, and exclusive merch.
Speaker 2: So go sign up for a Patreon and Scared All the Time podcast dot com don't want to be full Steady caps welcoming.
Speaker 1: No part of the show can be reproduced anywhere without permission copyright Astonishing Legends Production Night.
Speaker 2: We are in this together, together to Goether