Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Pictures Media Radio. Welcome to Policy and Rights, the show about DOLCOM policy and human rights. So welcome to the show Motaz and today we're talking about uh Soji and UH. We we also have clips that at the end at the end of this of a anti Soji protest that I was at at the m l a's office in Surrey on King George Boulevard, And it was kind of kind of interesting because there was a political candidate there who was calling for banning of books and and they were also talking about disrupting classes at a school, which if you are are are saying that you're trying to protect the children, then why would you want to ban books and uh and disturb a school?
Speaker 2: You know, her protest was probably a candle right march called one Million March for Children, and what they're basically marching for is what they call parental rights to protect their children. But what they're complaining about is that they don't have a say in their children's lives when it comes to their gender preference and their pronouns and something that they're opposed to, which they saying that the school system and the society is grooming them.
Speaker 3: But you know, Michael, society has been greeting kids for a long time, you know, how to be a good boy and how to be a good girl, and how to dress and things like that.
Speaker 2: But now they're upset that some parents and society wants to do children more choices and more rereadom and they're calling that rooming, which is kind of interesting. Now.
Speaker 3: The thing is they're complaining that they don't have parents rights, which is not true. They do parents rights. What they're complaining about is they're not finding the what's happening with their kids in school. That's because some children are afraid of their parents and telling their parents what their gender identity is or their pronouns. Are A lot of parents who are supporting their kids don't have that problem, and they have a right to work these things are with their children.
Speaker 2: It's the children who are having problems with their parents are having the problem, so they're marching across Canada or a right to control and abuse their kids. Basically, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, I think that that's a little bit on the extreme side, but I will say this much because it the school system itself and one of the one of one of the things that we're not even going to get into the uh sexual orientation and gender identity uh part that that that these people are are are talking about in this particular protest, and I not even gonna get to that yet. That one of my complaints out of the school system was that they did not send homework home with the child. Okay, if my children didn't come home with homework, they didn't come home with books. So I wanted to know what they were actually doing in in the classroom, What were they what were they supposed to be learning? So simply put, how I discovered what it was that they were actually teaching in a classroom. You have a right as a parent to appear in the classroom, and that also told my my child that who was in the in said classroom that I wanted to wanted to wanted to be part of that conversation. And they would tell me. They would come home afterwards and they would tell me what was happening in happening in school, and I was sometimes excited sometimes not so that as far as I know, that has not changed. Do you have the right to show up inside the the classroom and as long as you're not disruptive of the classroom. You can listen to what is actually being said and taught. So that hasn't changed, has it?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. But I think the issue is also for a lot of.
Speaker 2: Children is how comfortable they are with telling their parents there, because some consider you know, not a where a trustful relationship or you know, with with with their parents.
Speaker 3: So if there's a child that is going on or or if they're not, they're they're fearful for what their parents think or tell them, and then they might need to be comfortable.
Speaker 2: With their parents coming. I think consent goes both way. Is I think you know, you need pers continue what's going on for sure, but you need to also consent from from the young people, uh that it's okay for their parents to be there.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, like you said, the key, the key to that is is not to be disruptive, right, Okay, So so if you're not if so, but having having seen the footage that came back from our camera crow, which you if you're listening to this on on the audio, you will actually hear some of what they actually had to say. It does sound like they were they were making a point of saying that they would they were going to disrupt what is going on in the school and disrupt the learning of the children. So which in of itself is that's not good. That's that is not our role as parents to disrupt the classroom. Our role as parents is to participate in the classroom and so that we ensure that our child is being treated fairly.
Speaker 2: Right, right, And I'm really think you know, whether what we're talking about in terms of surgy or this marsh for children, it should be about the children and their their protection and their right to learn and to be aware so they can make better choices. So it's not about the parents, It's about the children. I'd say, yeah, now.
Speaker 1: Too. I did another interview with with a BC school district teacher and she and she and we had we had a bit of a discussion around that. But how I introduced that was I said that teachers should be allowed tools to open minds.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh.
Speaker 1: Now I want to address address sexual orientation and gender identity protections in the in the school. In the school system itself, which otherwise known as SOG SOGI, according to the British Columbia website, is there in place to protect the children from being bullied, right, and it.
Speaker 3: Is all it's more aware because you know, I mean, yeah, I mean my memory of school, the school since them is they've always been talking about sexual orientation and gender enterity, but in a very limited way, and you know, they grooming children to be boys and girls and behave a certain way with limited choices and the judgment.
Speaker 2: Well, what's changed now is that you're giving more education and awareness of different ways of being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do remember. It was like forty some years ago, of course for me for the end of my high school or my school age years, but I remember school as far as sexual orientation was concerned, there was no such thing as sexual orientation. There was one simple thing students mm hmmm, and that was the only thing that was going to be taught was abstinate that you should not It doesn't matter if it was with male, same sex or with opposite sex.
Speaker 3: Well, I went to public schools. I think there's a little more liberal. I mean it's been changing over the years, right, They talked about sex and and things like that, and they talked about protection and so coming out of high school and things.
Speaker 2: Like that, I had some idea of sexual orientation.
Speaker 3: And gender but it was in the in that that in that time, it was still very limited that there was you'd either straight, eight you're a gay, or trance. There was nothing in between.
Speaker 4: It was yeah either.
Speaker 2: So there was limited choices even then. But when I started practicing my counseling, when he went into youth, they started using long languages like non binary and and it's just it's oh, so there were more choices and it's not so limitted, you know, I mean there's other more language always changing that the term gender fluid has become a little bit more in use and things like that, but it is says but it think is that I think that doesn't matter how you try to groom kids or adults. They are who they are and they will be who they will be. Because when I was young, when I was six years old, I used to wear, you know, a veil and play with the girls and nobody said anything. But when he came to Canada, you know, I was a feminine, and they got bullied and harassed because I wasn't, you know, presenting as our boys should you know, I wasn't groomed properly to be a boy, so I was not trained to.
Speaker 3: Be a proper boy and I got bullied and harrassed because of that, and I get question.
Speaker 2: Like are you gay? You're like boying. I didn't know about gender and sexuality. I just felt comfortable dressing the way I did.
Speaker 1: Well. I totally understand that because at the same time, like I said, during my entire time of I didn't discover a personally. I didn't discover a sexuality until I was almost twenty one years old. So through school I was bullied because I didn't. I was completely asexual.
Speaker 2: I didn't res outer here, you know, even like you know.
Speaker 1: You know, is is a gender identity being a sexual.
Speaker 3: Right, but even like in in media, even when we grew up with television, now we have got multiple media sources and things like that, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh, and it's so sexualized.
Speaker 3: And that's part of the problem that the idea of being a.
Speaker 2: Sexual was like what's that? Yeah, like you know that you have to be sexualized and that that that that that that that the normality of being a sexual. It's not even an option that people can see exactly.
Speaker 1: So so we just get through our adulthood, which I okay, going back to going back to the social policies as for teachers. They need to have as many tools as they need to open up a mind. And this is what I think is is with some of these people who were participating in this march. It isn't that they're against soji, although that is the tool that they are attacking. It is that they are against their children thinking differently than they do.
Speaker 2: Well, this is it. Yeah, And like you know, I mean, I I want to this website, you know, one million marched for children. And they thought that they're talking about, you know, marching for uh the worry whether that what children to be exposed to, that that they're too young and impressionable. And I understand an argument, right, but but but they're using language like uh Peter files and and uh uh you know this kind of language. Uh and and they're being saying, oh, this is about the kids, but but this this Facebook page, this is completely transphobic.
Speaker 3: So they're not even just talking about soli. They're they're prevading people for how they dress. Like a random woman is being berated. And I mean, look like, oh they.
Speaker 2: Can be like that. Kids, they spenc kids, they act like bullies, right and and and and they're saying that only.
Speaker 3: LGBT folks are Peter files and predators, and we know that it's not the case, right, I mean, I think they they think we don't.
Speaker 2: Care about our kids, but of course we care our kids. The kids will We want your kids to be safe from predators. You know, it doesn't matter what their gender identity is or their sexual orientation is. We want our kids to be safe.
Speaker 3: And they they they think that we are the problem, but really do the problem.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the problem isn't isn't us or them. The problem actually is is the corporations that are actually perpetuating the two polarized agendas. So the day they actually make the profit. But that's but we're not going to go too deep into that. Well, I mean, the reason is that they give this large is happening.
Speaker 2: You know, this manch was across Canada, but actually coincided with the launch of the BC provincial election. So this issue was yeah the day before is becoming all they wanted to be an election issue. But interestingly, but the turnout was less this year than it was last year, So the interest of anti SOLGI stuff is getting less, maybe because people are not very happy with the tactics. Uh, the kind of the.
Speaker 1: Scale well, okay, so let's let's discuss that for a second, because one one of the pieces of footage, and unfortunately you can't actually hear this on on the radio portion is that as a group they stepped out into traffic in two on on King George Boulevard. Well, as you know, King George Boulevard is a multi lane street at at of course, across this particular m l AS and I don't don't really want to mention who the m l A is, uh, whose whose office sits on the on the street at that point in the street, it's it is two lanes of traffic going in either direction, so four lanes of traffic in total, and the these people stepped out into traffic, causing the police to have to stop traffic on the street. The police were not going to stop the traffic, but because these people started stepping into the street, the police stopped the traffic for the safety of the people. And then they started chanting something about about about the police are protecting the pedophiles. But they were the ones who enacted the police to actually make their presence more known.
Speaker 2: They were in and they're they're forcing the police to support them.
Speaker 1: I was, but uh, and I was just like in I do remember one of the one of my cameramen said that you did stop the police and he thanked them for them being there, and he said, I I hope and pray that it does to escalate to anything more than just them talking. But if but that was the vibe they were looking for a reason for it to escalate further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what Michael, what really you know? And then we've been talking about this program. What pretty worries me is that there are different minority groups that are involved in this protests from different religious background some of my own community, South Asian community, Muslims, Sick, Hindu and so on. Who who are saying that we should be living choices or educating our kids about transgender identity. But the fact that is this transcender folks live in our societies back in Pakistan, in India and places like that, and they're partly with your life. So what's wrong with educating young people about the reality of how people live and choices? Then make so when when they when I decided that I wanted to dress like a girl and with a veil, and nobody questioned me that was my choice.
Speaker 3: So when a young person wants to present themselves or to dress in a way that they feel comfortable, that they should not be traumatized to think otherwise.
Speaker 2: Or or or or or learn from their their colleagues that they can change their change their name or their gender pronouns, and that they shouldn't be told that you can't do that. Interesting these people are saying that they the kids are being told that they should be this or if they're like you know, they're in group. But it's on the contrary and it's anti grooming. It's actually the choices are being who they.
Speaker 3: Are, that they want to dress like a traditional boy or a traditional girl or something in between.
Speaker 2: That's their choice, is right. Nobody should be told you should be dressed like this, or should dress like that, or maybe you are you know, this gender, or maybe you're that gender.
Speaker 3: It's let people know what what's out there and they can make their own choices.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: The thing the thing is is one of the when we start talking about gender fluidity, which you where I discovered through time is that gender doesn't even really matter in the workplace. It doesn't matter what gender.
Speaker 2: But but my colo does and where gender does matter is influenced by culture and religion and also also media and social media and Hollywood and Bollywood and so on tell us how we should dress and how we should act. And you know, whether it's a culture and diligent culture or somewhere into fined right, So that's where that's what's telling us how to do that.
Speaker 1: But it's no small portion of our lives. That isn't That isn't our everyday life, our everyday life. It's like that it it doesn't. It doesn't matter as much as Okay, so I apply for a job, does it matter that I am one gender or another gender, or somewhere on the scale between all of them. It doesn't matter as long as I can get the job done right.
Speaker 2: When I'm thinking back to my name was like you know, six seven, eight years old, and where I do wonder across a certain way or going to my mom's room and where I jildren things like that, It is like I saw other girls wearing that, and I thought that that looks fretting and I want to wear it too. Yeah, And I saw when there jewelry and I want to try it on too. Nobody told me that that's what I should be doing or shouldn't be doing right.
Speaker 1: But there was nothing learning wrong with you you trying on the trying on the jewelry, right, there was nothing wrong with you putting on putting on the scar for what I feel good?
Speaker 2: You know, I felt like this is nice. I know, part of me is programming was knowing that this is scandalous and this is wrong because your boy and you shouldn't be doing that. But debate right whether whether what feels good or what it feels right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so basically right. And and this is what what I read on the on the BC government website is that what they want is is for the kids to believe that that they are safe and comfortable to be who they want to be, you know.
Speaker 2: And as a psychotherapist, I think that's very healthy.
Speaker 5: And when I was growing up, I was made to believe that what I was doing is wrong, and that traumatized me, and that that trauma stayed with me until now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you want your kids to grow up healthy, you should let them know that it's okay to be whatever you want to be, whether you're a boy or a girl or something in between. Me and that's fine, and that's rich voice, and nobody should be telling you a group.
Speaker 1: No, no, they And I, honestly, I think think the problem is is not that the teachers is not the not necessarily with the teachers are saying in the classroom. Some of what it is is is they these these videos on TikTok and Instagram and all and all this social media stuff where you have someone on social media. He puts his digitized mask over his face and says, well, if you're gay, that you know you know this is true. You know this is true that if you're gay, that someone touched you as a child, someone someone abused you as a child, that's why you're gay. And he doesn't the person who who does this in question doesn't even have enough He doesn't even have enough bravery inside of enough courage to remove the digitized mass his face. It's like because he knows what he's saying is offensive.
Speaker 2: Michael. The thing is that the social thing is so new, and you know, not all parents, not all teachers are perfect, and so maybe don't have the writing for me, you nor media overzealous to not be so tactful, to present things in a way that's more ualized.
Speaker 6: Right, and and and think that maybe so and not like I don't think you know that they've had the kind of preparedness and awareness for.
Speaker 2: The teachers to do this properly in a in a in a respect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I can see where some some maybe overseel teachers might get overboard with information which can be kind of.
Speaker 2: Overpowering.
Speaker 3: But I think, I think, I think, I think there needs to be more balance in that approach of how this is taught and how it's taught properly so that the kids, the children are getting the right information in a balance to way. So they're not being there, so they're not being Yeah, so they're not being confused or pressured or forced to think one way the other. Just because they might be androgynous or or they might be presenting one way or the other, doesn't mean.
Speaker 2: That reflects or affects the gender identity or they are sexual orientation, you.
Speaker 3: Know that perfect. And I met people like I met this woman, you know who doesn't know where.
Speaker 2: Women's clothes, you know, wear shorts, hair and jeans Punjabi woman And I'm like, oh, diet.
Speaker 3: Right, But she's got five kids and she runs like these are.
Speaker 7: Stereotypes just pointed out a line of your identity, all your sexual orientation, which.
Speaker 1: You pointed out was a line of fashion.
Speaker 2: To be right, right, it's just.
Speaker 1: A way of dressing.
Speaker 3: I think you know in the in the twenties, thirties and forties, when women start dressing up and then's clothes and performing and doing things, which is where it courageous.
Speaker 2: Was great. It was an acting evolution.
Speaker 3: Okay, and and and and to be free. But that didn't always reflect the gender identity or or or the sexual orientation.
Speaker 2: Is this that they wanted to succeed in a man's world and dress like a man, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 1: That was the thing. The thing is is okay, if I look look at at my my my indigenous background, and I go back before fourteen ninety two, who were the leaders in the community. Yeah, it was the women, the women, the matriarchs, and to do it flows and yes, okay, then then if I go back, go back even even further in Europe, right, you want to talk about performers, Well, Shakespeare had men perform as women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was normal.
Speaker 1: It was it was completely normal for a for a man to perform a woman's part. It was and it wasn't a so so much of a social construct as it was said women just you weren't we weren't we weren't acting, it was it.
Speaker 2: Was yeah, says straight there.
Speaker 3: Of course there's like massive sexism happening there because women weren't about to perform. But then it was okay for men to perform as women. So general bending happened. So we had sexism in both ways obviously. But yeah, that was then in the day, right.
Speaker 2: In Europe. It happened in all kind of ends of the world there.
Speaker 1: Okay, men, these these were these were public forum performances, but in private forum performances where there was nothing but women around, they had to if they if they put performed for themselves. If there had to be a male part, it was done by another woman. It wasn't and it had nothing to do with anything else. I'm I'm I'm playing a part. So I'm gonna bring this too fast forward. Is to to to one of my own kids, and he wanted, uh, a pink vacuum cleaner as a toy. You want to play vacuum. So what did I do? I go buy the pink vacuum let him play. It's what it is. It's play, it's experimentation as a child.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I mean the thing is, like you know when I mean they thought I went I took all my economics when when I was in school. Because they're treating boys to be more independent and learn to sew and to break that gender barrier, which is good. But the thing is, when you allow boys to do that stuff, you learnt independence. So you know, we live in a society where we're taught that we have been made it and you have to be mom and dad and.
Speaker 3: Kids and that kind of responsibility and that you know, a time when women stayed at home and then went to work, and then you knew after the war for the women went to work as well. You know, I remember when my grandmother came.
Speaker 2: To Canada from Africa and she was shocked at my dad was helping in the kitchen. So uh yeah, I think teaching kids diffferent roles and different things is a healthy thing. And I'm spoiled because I wasn't taught all these things properly like the way I should, or maybe you don't have the aptitude for it. I don't know, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It all. It all seems that what we need to really be focusing on is opening up a child's mind and the tools in play to allow them to explore and be who they who they want to be.
Speaker 3: And so the thing is that you know, i'm i'm, I believe in parents right, and that parents have.
Speaker 2: A right to be worried about their kids, and they should be worried about what's being taught in the schools and things like that, and they should have proper informiation, make sure that the kids are being taught properly.
Speaker 3: And the bend should have information so that they know what the kids are learning. But what I'm hearing from this movement is misinformation.
Speaker 2: Of of of the Yeah, it's not accurate, you know, exactly.
Speaker 3: Every right to be concerned, but the information in their propaganda is very differ.
Speaker 2: Very homo, very misleading. So the parents are even more.
Speaker 3: Confused about what's going on, and it's confusing the kids. Even so that's a problem that you know, they should be proper information is to yes, we should know what the kids are teaching. Maybe some of the literature that that isn't in the schools is inappropriate, maybe, but let's get the information right, right, let's let's yeah.
Speaker 1: For instance, they were talking about a child being allowed to be a cat in in in a classroom, and okay, so on the surface, there's nothing wrong with it, just depends on how far how far that's allowed to be taken, as long as you're not feeding the kids cat food and telling them that they can't use the bathroom and they have to squadron on on a uh on on a letter box to nothing exactly wrong with allowing that child to explore and open their mind, because there are a lot of other climate problems and asteroid problems and universal problems out there that hey, if we open our children's minds, that we have a better chance of surviving what our universe throws at us.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you know I knew when I was pushing for for you know, recycling and reusing and things like that, and my nieces, we're being taught that in school and they start practicing my help really good, that these kids need our future better and that they're.
Speaker 3: Thinking of a better wrong because they understand responsibility better than we do.
Speaker 1: Right, So yeah, in just a few words, is the social policy such a bad thing if it opens up my mind?
Speaker 3: Well, if there's any criticism to be had.
Speaker 2: I think there should be more information. I think parents should have a right to know what's going on. They should be a right infinition going on. They should be more trust among teachers and parents, and more trust among children and parents and things like that. Yeah, parents should have to know what they're happening with their kids. But if they are being doing the dreaming and abusive, and they are calling names and being judgmental, then they're going to lose their rights. Right The parents who are complaining are the ones who are the problem. Parents have rights, you know, they have a right to go to schools. They have a right to be in the lives of the kids. They have to help the kids make their decisions. But if they're being abusive, then the kids are getting run away from them.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we're gonna wrap it up there, thank you for your time today, and we're going to listen to a independent candidate political candidate as he's running for MLA, as he spoke in front of the Surrey MLA office as they do this program protest, and he's talking about how books should be banned and they should be thrown out of the school, and that different ideas should just never ever be taught because they're pornographic, and he does use the word pornographic in his his statement, So so why don't we leave with that and thank you for listening today everybody, and support a mind and help open your child's mind.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 8: We don't told the party line. There's no party whip. We're not told that we have to vote with David ab John russad whoever in order to keep our job. We represent our constituents, unlikely.
Speaker 4: Corrupt all of the corrupt.
Speaker 8: Mainstream parties who represent corporations, independence serves and independents and for constituents. I went to my first ever all candidates meeting last night and I was quick.
Speaker 2: Murdered.
Speaker 8: Would be a bit of an exaggeration, but certainly the both the NDP. There were two NDIP the candidates there and one Conservative, and they both ganged up on me when I dared to say anything against SOGI.
Speaker 4: They said, we've got to protect the kids.
Speaker 8: And I told my response that was that statement implies that the kids need protecting. That somehow people like myself are against the kids. We're attacking them, were discriminating against them.
Speaker 4: It's not the case at all.
Speaker 8: I described sog as exactly what it is. I called it a crime against humanity, and they all rolled their eyes.
Speaker 4: Interestingly, one of the candidates there was rush was the Speaker of the house. He is the same speaker who was sitting in the.
Speaker 8: Chair when Bruce Bannman, a conservative mL from Abbots for the.
Speaker 9: One of the moment lids wus Badman stood up in the in the in the legislature and started to read from one of the from one of the books, from one of the pornographic books that are available in school libraries accessible by.
Speaker 2: Kids to the ons five and six years old.
Speaker 4: Barnman started to read from that book.
Speaker 8: And Roger Juhan, the Speaker of the house, shut him down. Shut there's badman down, saying we don't we.
Speaker 10: Don't toleer read that kind of language in this in this house, to which Badman just retracted his comments and apologized and sat down.
Speaker 4: He should have stood.
Speaker 8: Up and called out the speaker and said, mister speaker, if this language, this kind of language is not permitted in this house with a bunch of so called adults in the room, how the hell is an appropriate for five.
Speaker 2: And six year old kids?
Speaker 4: Thanks when speature.
Speaker 2: Now is.
Speaker 4: She pertains, she's our minister, she's our m la.
Speaker 11: But then the constitutes come to meet her, then close the office and run away.
Speaker 4: The office.
Speaker 12: They're paid whose hand is paid by our undix dollars.
Speaker 4: The staff is paid by us.
Speaker 11: This building is not only a man a Recta Saying's office, it's also Surrey Teacher's Union, who, Surrey Teachers Union and PC Education Minister Regina saying.
Speaker 12: So, just for your introduction, we all know what SOGI is. But let me give you an example. There is a school called Sullivan Hide Secondary School in Surrey. Eighteen students. Eighteen students identify as animals in those schools because the te children you can identify anything, so they behave like cats and dogs.
Speaker 4: Eighteen students.
Speaker 12: So I am talking to principal of Sullivan Hid Secondary Principal and vice principal.
Speaker 4: You are involved in a criminal act.
Speaker 12: You met eighteen students believe that they are animals, and every single day the behaviors of the animals.
Speaker 4: Their friends know, teachers know who does not know. Their parents don't know. Those parents have.
Speaker 12: No clue whose children identify as animals.
Speaker 4: It's a criminal.
Speaker 12: We will soon start protesting in front of that school. Sullivan hides Kendry because.
Speaker 2: Whoa.
Speaker 12: We need to make those animals humans again, make student animals humans again.
Speaker 4: It's criminal.
Speaker 12: We have the media in Surrey, many journalists, radio stations.
Speaker 4: We have let them know, but they don't do anything.
Speaker 12: The children think they are animals because they are brain washed, indoctrinated, and.
Speaker 4: Everyone is okay with it, but we are not. We will go to that school.
Speaker 8: We will.
Speaker 1: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information