Speaker 1: You're listening to bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty and this is KFI bill Handle here.
Speaker 2: It is a Tuesday morning, October the twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: It's a Taco Tuesday.
Speaker 2: There is what happened yesterday two ballot drop boxes, one in Portland, Oregon, another one in Vancouver, Washington.
Speaker 1: They're right next to each other, where hundreds.
Speaker 2: Of ballots were destroyed because an incendiary device was put into the ballot box which burned all of the ballots. WHOA and one official called it a direct attack on democracy, which it is because it's throwing votes.
Speaker 1: And so this morning we had a.
Speaker 2: Conversation during one of the news breaks about was it Republicans, was it democrats?
Speaker 1: Was this political or was it just straight anarchy?
Speaker 2: And I said, I hope it is straight anarchy, because if it's straight anarchy, you just go after the bad guys, that's all. And it doesn't have political implications because I don't want political implications. Can you imagine we've reached the point now this is only three of these that have happened, but we've reached the point where now votes are being destroyed and it has gone crazy. It is nuts now Vancouver happens to be the biggest city in third congressional district. And why this may be political, it's going to be one of the closest US house races in the country. So where two things I want to point out, and one of them something I didn't know at all, and that is, in anticipation of these ballot boxes and the ballots inside them being destroyed, there are actually fires depression.
Speaker 1: Systems in the box.
Speaker 2: Where if a temperature is reached a lah a fire starts. It's an automatic sprinkler system in there, except it's not water, it's a chemical. It's a powder that covers up the ballots. You can still count them, and that suppresses the fire.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: And as a matter of fact, in one of the ballot boxes in which fire was detected and the fire suppression system in fact was effective, only three ballots were damaged, not even destroyed, just damaged. And the officials were able to figure out very quickly who voted, which of those ballots belonged to which voter, and it was very easy to simply contact those voters and say here, vote again. Okay, So the anarchy part, right, someone just goes in and it is a prank, but a criminal prank. It is a prank in which our very democracy is attacked. Now comes the politics. Can this be political? Yeah, unfortunately you can. And that brings in the fight that we're having across the country in terms of the presidential election, in terms of the lawsuits that are filed or.
Speaker 1: Will be filed. And let me take a.
Speaker 2: Break, and I'm going to explain that, because if it is political, then the issue becomes which side is attacking the ballot boxes, which side has a bigger interest in invalidating the votes that go into the ballot box. And what are the lawsuits about, and which states have them and don't have them? And the changes that the states are in fact entering into incurring because of the fear of the ballot boxes in and of themselves are an attack on democracy. The story of these drop boxes, one in Portland, Oregon, one right across the river in Vancouver, Washington, and three drop boxes were fried. An ignition device on scendiary device was thrown in the drop box, dropped in there, and fire started. Now in two cases, the fire suppression system inside the box shut it down. Where you only had slightly damaged ballots that were easily figured out as to who did it, as to who voted in one it was destroyed and all the votes were gone, all the ballots were gone.
Speaker 1: And as I said earlier, I hope it was just.
Speaker 2: Straight on anarchists who wanted to screw things up, just wanted to screw grew up the election and weren't politically motivated. Here's the problem with drop boxes, and this is why we go if there is a political motivation, which side goes. Drop Boxes have been part of the conspiracy theory conspiracy theories that have gone just rampant since the last election when Donald Trump lost. Part of the rigged election has to do with drop boxes, and that is this harvesting.
Speaker 1: People can collect these votes.
Speaker 2: For example, let's say I can't go to vote at the at the polling booth and at the same time, for whatever reason, I'm not mailing the ballot. Well, those people tend to be Democrats. People that just don't vote by mail and don't vote to the voting booth, they tend to be Democrats. There are people that don't have the wherewithal. They are folks that don't have the money or they don't have transportation.
Speaker 1: And so you've got these.
Speaker 2: Therefore, if they are, if drop boxes are used, then it is primarily Democrats who are using drop boxes, poor disenfranchised Democrats. Well, Republicans don't like that because Democrats use drop boxes more. As a matter of fact, Republicans who vote on the day of the election. Far more Republicans vote that day.
Speaker 1: Than do Democrats.
Speaker 2: And this is one of the reasons the conspiracy theorists and even Donald Trump has said, we only count votes that day. We don't count votes afterwards, we don't count votes. He hates early voting because that's rampant for fraud.
Speaker 1: Early voting meets fraud.
Speaker 2: And it is the Democrats who like drop boxes because anything that makes it easier to vote, the Democrats push anything, and it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Matter what it is.
Speaker 2: Why because there are more Democrats registered Democrats than are Republicans in the United States.
Speaker 1: So that fight continues.
Speaker 2: So what happens now, Well, let me tell you about the states that no longer use dropboxes. Six states have banned them since the twenty twenty election. Southern states Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, South Dakota is north, but it might as well be South in terms of its politics. The other states have restricted their use, including Ohio and Iowa. And we do know that the two fires on Monday were connected, and then the was an October eighth fire that also was connected. So this is going to be one of the lawsuits that is going to be filed that the drop boxes in and themselves are rampant fraud machines, and lawsuits have already been.
Speaker 1: Filed saying that they this is not election.
Speaker 2: Putting votes into a drop box is not mailing votes directly to the polling counting the counting facilities, and that's the argument.
Speaker 1: And we don't know which way they're going to go. So far.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty election, as bitter as it was and is conspiracy theory is conspiracy the theory argument that it has democracy actually worked. The guardrails were there. The courts backed up, the courts ended up what's the word I'm looking for here, the validity. The courts backed up the validity of the validity of those votes. Even though there were sixty four lawsuits that were filed to invalidate the votes in various counties in various states, sixty four and all of the votes were certified, all of the votes were counted.
Speaker 1: Which is it going to happen this time? Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There have already been one hundred lawsuits filed, over one hundred as of today, to invalidate certain ways of voting, invalidate drop boxes where they are, invalidate the way votes are counted, invalidate the way votes are certified. And unfortunately it is the Republicans that are doing that. And I know I attack the Republicans a lot. And here's the reason I attack the Republicans is because unfortunately the conspiracy theories, theories and theorists have taken over that party. That's the shame of it is we no longer regard our election system as free. That's the problem. Too many people simply don't. And I want to know, And this is the question I have. If Kamala Harris loses, which I think there's an excellent chance, are we going to see lawsuits on the other side attacking the election?
Speaker 1: And I don't know the answer.
Speaker 2: If there are lawsuits, certainly not going to be hundreds of them, where there will be hundreds if Donald Trump loses. So I'm going to go back to my original premise even though Republicans tend to do better if there are no drop boxes, and Democrats tend to do better if there are drop boxes, and that is simply putting your vote or someone putting your votes like a mailbox, someone putting your vote in there.
Speaker 1: I'm hoping, hoping that it was just some crazy anarchists that wants to just.
Speaker 2: Screw up our election process and the politics of it are are gone.
Speaker 1: I hope that that's the case. And now we're not going to know.
Speaker 2: Probably there's a video of a Volvo that was pulled up to a drop box and someone unidentified came up and put the insidiary device, and they don't know who it is, and maybe they'll find out.
Speaker 1: The investigation is going crazy. Okay, we're done with that.
Speaker 2: We're done with politics, and I know I'm just going to the ground on this one, you know, and beating a dead.
Speaker 1: Horse and a live horse and a horse.
Speaker 2: That should be fine, all right, and I'll be it all it ends, it ends next Tuesday. Okay, you don't have to hear from me after next Tuesday. Now, let's have fun. Halloween's coming up on Thursday, Neil, You're joining me, and I'm gonna throw you some stories, myth or not, and we start with you know, I'm gonna ask you what you are doing for Halloween in terms of trick or treating home. I hate Halloween. I hate giving out candy. I always turn the porch light off. I go in the back so no one is home.
Speaker 1: Also with the kids. You know, when I was a kid, I used to go on my own.
Speaker 2: I'd go with a friend or my brother and we go out and trick or treat. Today, I mean, come on, you know, it's all helicopter parenting. I remember when my kids were six and it was time for trick or treating. I'd go, all right, it's five thirty now, we'll see you in a couple of hours. All right, dad, we're only six. I don't care go trick or treating.
Speaker 1: Leave me alone. It's a very different world today, Neil, What are you doing for What are you doing for Halloween?
Speaker 3: I do what I normally do.
Speaker 4: I usually decorate a little bit in the front yard and have family over and we sit on the front porch and hang out and pass out candy.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 4: My wife and my boy go locally and uh, you know, because we do a lot of different things. We go to Disneyland to do theirs thing earlier in the month, and so you have he has a lot and he's not a big, big, sweet kid.
Speaker 1: That's so nice of you to do that. That's just really terrific. Good for you.
Speaker 4: Okay, nice, Yes, I see it's bringing out your smiley side.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: I do. I love I love Halloween.
Speaker 1: All right, Amy, what do you do.
Speaker 5: Well this year? I'm going to be sleepy because you.
Speaker 1: Know, so, what do you do? Kids knocking on the door?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't there's no kids. There's no kids in my neighborhood, in my old neighborhood. I loved it. I loved handing out candy and sometimes door.
Speaker 1: It's it's ringing the doorbell all night long.
Speaker 5: Well only till about eight o'clock.
Speaker 6: And the kids are adorable and they're cute, and most of the parents are nice. Yeah, it's fun and it's fun to see the costumes and we usually have a little party and maybe maybe a cocktail or five.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's sweet too. Yeah, it's fantastic.
Speaker 5: I know, right, it's sooper fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wonderful. It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Uh, Cono, I know you have a hard time affording candy.
Speaker 1: But what do you do?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I do actually, so go to my brothers who doesn't have a hard time a footing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and is a trick or treat opening the door forty six times a night?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, he actually does.
Speaker 7: At the end of his driveway, they put out a table and then the kids can come up because it's like a whole neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Okay, but so, but no one is manning the table right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: Sometimes when we get bored, but we kind of just walk around. The parents have drinks and then the kids go out and go to the door.
Speaker 3: Kno, is still trick or treat?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that's good. And what do you do treating night?
Speaker 5: We we do a whole thing. We decorate the house. But then we definitely hand out lots and lots of candy, like one hundred dollars worth of cannon we have to buy every year.
Speaker 3: Wow wow wow.
Speaker 2: Now some years, I mean most of the time, you know, the porch light is off and I'm gone. But I have in the past just taken out a bowl of candy and just put it on the front porch and.
Speaker 1: Just say, basically set up.
Speaker 2: The honor system and just a little note that says, this is for everybody in the neighborhood. For the first kids, please take all the candy and screw the kids that are coming after you.
Speaker 1: And it has worked every single.
Speaker 4: Time, Bill hand open, enjoy to the neighborhood. Yeah, one fat child at a time.
Speaker 1: That's true. All right, let's take a break.
Speaker 2: We're going to continue on because I may have to do this on Halloween too, or tomorrow because the the drugs or the poisons in the suite. So I'll start this because this is fairly long. And there are a lot of myths, urban myths, and are they based in reality or are they just crazy myths? And so Neil, I'm gonna throw those at you and you tell me, ah, yeah, there's a basis for that, or no, that's just crazy, and that's an urban myth that has been around for eighty years or longer, Neil, True or not true?
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go. Before we do that, I just want to point something out. You tell your kids not to talk.
Speaker 2: To strangers, right, Neil, Well, of course, okay, And then they go out and you're taking your kid around the neighborhood knocking on doors and they're getting candy from strangers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so here eat this thing that someone you don't know just gave you. Yeah, kind of a slap in the face of the admonition you gave prior. But it is part of Halloween. And although there are different structures to Halloween now than when I was a kid, there's a lot of block parties, a lot of things where they control that you can go to certain malls or certain areas that have a controlled environment for kids to trick or treat.
Speaker 3: The still the age old going door to door.
Speaker 4: Is out there, and with it comes every single year the talk of the poisoned candy, the okay, you know, needles in a candy, and these types of things that continue over and over every single year.
Speaker 1: All right, So, uh, poison candy to kids? Is there a basis?
Speaker 2: Are there real cases in which poison candy was handed out to kids?
Speaker 4: There are some cases, but interestingly enough, the vast majority of cases where probably a lot of these you know tales come from, were family members.
Speaker 3: Yes, ruesome, and they go back very old.
Speaker 4: There was one in nineteen seventy four, an eight year old Timothy O'Brien. He was from Texas. He died after eating Halloween candy laced with cyanide. So the police, doing their due diligence obviously and investigating, discovered that the culprit was the kid's father. He poisoned his son in order to claim the life insurance money. So he was later convicted. They nicknamed him the candy Man, but he was executed for murder in nineteen eighty four. There so some of these have some root in these stories. So you have two types. Back when I was growing, they were complete you know, misrepresentations of a story like this or complete fabrications where where because you didn't have the internet.
Speaker 3: Now, on the Internet, you can back.
Speaker 4: Up these false stories with photoshopped images or things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and that is the problem because you know, it's conspiracy theory time and just taken to a level of poison candy. I mean, there was a case, okay two thousand, a case forty nine year old James Joseph Smith charged with concealing needles in chocolate bars.
Speaker 1: He actually did.
Speaker 4: Conceal needles razor blade, I know, but there are things like that, But the razor blade in the apples, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That one is difficult. How do you do that? That's a tough one theories.
Speaker 4: All these theories are based on what could you do to a package or an item you're gonna eat that would be concealing itself. Now, if you use the razor blades, not just the cutting blades, but the original one would double back to back razors, it'd be tough to push it in there, but they're very thin, so the assumption would be you wouldn't be able to see it. But I've done these stories since the beginning of the four Report fourteen years ago or more, and I've never been able to find any consistent story of things like that where there was a widespread, you know, act like this, and they usually are just rumors, and you know, it's funny. I've talked to Amy King about this and she said her father used to check her candy and he, if I remember correctly, Amy, he was a fan of butterfinger and he'd say, yeah, this one.
Speaker 3: Looks like it's poisoned or whatever. It would take them.
Speaker 4: And they think that's part of what has perpetuated these things is that parents kind of use it as an excuse to call the good stuff out of the bag.
Speaker 2: I would I would do that, although you know the trick or treating. Well, it depends on the neighborhood. I grew up in a relatively poor, sort of lower middle class neighborhood. And so the candy we would get are you know, the little hard candies that are wrapped up and you buy them in bulk and you get two or three, and then occasionally people would give out these the many candy bars.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, did we score on that.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what's funny is I tend to like that stuff and that's what I end up getting. But that's not as popular anymore.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: It's the nerds hard candies and the.
Speaker 1: Those are all right, we're done, guys.
Speaker 2: We'll pick this up because we had a whole week to deal with this Halloween being Thursday. In the meantime, tomorrow tomorrow we start this all over again. Amy, wake up, call, Neil and I jump aboard. We're here till nine. Cono and and a part of the show. I don't know exactly what they do, but they're part of the show. And so you have a good one until tomorrow. Kf I am six forty eight live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Oh news without this.
Speaker 1: Never mind, I thought we were gonna do phone calls. You know what. Now, we'll pick it up on Thursday. You know what's smooth? I know, you know it. No, you know what, let me do this, all right, I'm taking phone calls. Let's do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you have a legal question, I'm going to take phone calls after the show in two minutes. And this is off the air, So if you want to ask me a legal question, we can do this real quickly. Eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty Saturday, I was almost jammed, so you have a chance to ask me questions and I do them very quickly. No breaks, no commercials, no traffic, weather off the air, and no no no patience. All right, thank you guys. Eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty. And one of the things we're gonna do is timing doing a radio show. Eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty KF I AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.