Speaker 1: What have you got academically? What did you get at school?
Speaker 2: I got my basic GCSEs, so maths, sports studies, English, French.
Speaker 3: We don't talk about geography because they told me it would be about capital cities, and it was about.
Speaker 2: Meanders and river bends. You have got basically, I don't think I've got an A apart.
Speaker 3: From in sports studies, but I've got passes and the rest of the part of geography and chemistry.
Speaker 2: Chemistry is boring.
Speaker 3: Wow, geography was boring because it's about population density in China and meanders and river bends and soil sedimentary and so I don't remember.
Speaker 1: It everyone on a daily basis. I find this stuff pretty useful, to be honest.
Speaker 3: It helps me knowing about meander's when I make all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's do a podcast. Welcome to what You're talking about? Willis with at p. Sixty five Marcus Willis and me is mate Dave. The grass is cut, the strawberry sauced, the deck shoes ready, which means it's time for the greatest Grand Slam of the Year. On Grand Slam of the Year Eve, which I am right now. I have got Wimbledon fever and as Pete Sam Press says nothing comes close to Wimbledon. Nothing. Are you feeling a bit buzz by it?
Speaker 3: Willis very very excited.
Speaker 2: Or someone someone I.
Speaker 3: Say earlier the grass is always greener at Wimbledon.
Speaker 1: I've got three stories that I've just put together based on hits, but there might be a story where you're like, no, actually, you don't want to do that as well, because there was a couple that I didn't put in that you might want to talk about, like the BBC extending its coverage of women until twenty thirty one, or the fact this is last year we'll get Andrew Castle telling us exactly who is in the Royal Box and yeah, so there's other little stories. But I've got Dan Evans, Jack Draper, Serena Williams as my top three. Serena Williams the most famous forty four year old in the world. Because everyone has to go. Serena Williams, aged forty four, that's now become a quadruple barreled name for her gets a wild card. Now I get why Valencia WTA give wild cards to Serena Williams because they need to sell their stadiums out. Because when you watch the tour. It's empty, So I get why Venus and Serena and whoever's coming back that week gets a wild card. Bums on seats Wimwooden is sold out infinite. It's over sold out. You can't get more people watching it. You can't get more people in there. Why is Serena Williams getting a freebie into this tournament?
Speaker 2: What? I mean?
Speaker 3: She's one at multiple times, stands getting one as well. I think it's more about attention of the tournament as well. How many people are gonna be watching her first round, including myself?
Speaker 1: Would you if you were so, I'm going to give you a proposal that it's on Monday. Serena is playing on sense call right theoretically right, She's playing on tent to court and on court one. You've got two players who are thirty five and fifty five in the rankings, and you've got a ticket. Which court do you go to?
Speaker 3: I think everyone goes to Serena because it's the unknown. We don't know how well she's going to play. It's another chance for people that maybe haven't seen her play before to see her play. The atmosphere is going to be ridiculous. I think that's why women have done it. It's it's something amazing that you know, we'll be talked about and watched globally.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we don't know.
Speaker 3: It's kind of easier to answer after we see what happens, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, I mean there's an absolute blockbuster in the third round of Serena against Swanchek, isn't there? Like this is the I mean huge, what's that Thursday Friday that could happen?
Speaker 2: Could happen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean just I will open up a window and I would just shout Tennis out of it.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: Navratilova came back at forty seven and won her first round.
Speaker 2: It's all right.
Speaker 1: She did yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's not something that hasn't been done before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and.
Speaker 1: I think never twenty years ago this year or twenty two years ago this year, but yeah, yeah she did. She she came back and played in the French as well that earlier you know, the previous slam play play got pumped. Yeah, and then yeah one through sir volley she won. I want to say love and one.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean it's it's not unheard of, it's just it's rare. It's rare because you know, people come retire anything they're retired, like when Serena retired. I didn't think that would be it. Honestly, No. Oh, I don't think about a last one either, but again, you never know. But I didn't have the sense I would never see her again.
Speaker 1: What's Serena Williams percentage chance of winning Wimbledon?
Speaker 2: You're asking me? Are you asking bet three? Six five? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to ask you and then are going to take everything I own to Ladbrooks.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think she'll win it. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think she'll make it past the third round. And this could be quoted everywhere.
Speaker 2: Okay, it'll be amazing if she does.
Speaker 3: And again if it happens, you go, okay, I mean it'll be unlikely when your first tournament back on a singles court to be someone top ten in the world, which is.
Speaker 2: What she's gonna have to do.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, of course, And if she does, it's it's is she amazing or is there a problem in women's depths? And I don't think it's the latter, based on what we've seen the French Open. I think it's exciting in the women's game. I think anyone could be at anyone on their given day, you know, within reason.
Speaker 1: Well, Serena gets a wildcard. Dan Evans rather unfairly doesn't get a wild card. Lots of the discourse I've seen online is about, you know that that's disrespectful to someone who basically for two decades now being our second or first best player, rather than talking about that. In particular, it's going to be Dan Evans's last Grand Slam. He's playing in the doubles. Tell me your first encounter with Dan.
Speaker 3: I don't know when it was, but I mean it was. It was good under fourteen, it was nationally good. We played each other a lot. Yeah, I know, had a lot of very good matches. I think the last couple he did me over when he was going on his going on his rampage to the top thirty in the world and I was kind of slowing down a bit. He beat me in prequelity six and six. For the time before that, I think he beat me five and two somewhere. But before that there was a lot of six and the thirds, a lot of six and six. There's some great matches because our styles were. I don't know. It made for some great matches, but I mean we had battles ever since we were thirteen fourteen, I want to say.
Speaker 1: And he just strikes me. I don't know him at all. He strikes me as such a character. Yeah he is. Is he Larry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's not a filter. He doesn't lie, he doesn't hold back. If he thinks something, he says it. But he's often right about stuff. Yeah, he's funny, like when he's around, you know about it, you know about it, and he's Yeah, he's pretty witty with his humor as well. So yeah, has there it's interesting. It's not knowledge of the games incredible as well.
Speaker 1: Right of course. Yeah, No, I mean he's got great views actually, and he's going to be one of these people who you kind of eternally wish that a governing body would get him involved. But he's going to ruffle some corporate feathers. I would say, which could you know, cut his nose off despite his face a little if he's looking.
Speaker 2: But he won't care about that.
Speaker 3: He won't. It will never change because that's just who he is and it's refreshing.
Speaker 1: And what have you two ever butted heads on call off court. Has there been.
Speaker 2: We've had some drama. Yeah, we've had a few words.
Speaker 3: The stuff, but it's heat at the moment, stuff like it's always fine five minutes after all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: We used to have play fights all the time and slap each other about a bit and it was all in good spirits.
Speaker 2: It's just funny. It's just it was just it was just fun.
Speaker 3: It was honestly some of the most fun times I've had as he's been there.
Speaker 1: And at the Aussie Open this year he was in the same locker room as you, wasn't He was in the opposite you for a little bit in the qualifying like you were. He was in the qualifying And is it going to be a shame that from Wimbledon onwards it's just another one of your stable mates that you won't be knocking around with every now and then and bumping into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it will be.
Speaker 3: It's there's not many guys that play like him. He was always great to watch. If ever I was playing a match and he was on the telly, I'd stick it on because I like watching him play. You know. He came to the Netty volley where he was brave. He defended really where I've read the game, well, you know, got really stuck into matches as well.
Speaker 2: So I'll miss watching him play. I missed.
Speaker 3: I think he'll still be around a bit. I think he's coaching. Coaching a little bit, is what I think he's doing.
Speaker 1: Will he make a good coach, Yeah, I think so, very good on his knowledge base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but knowledge base, but there's actually the ability to get stuck in. And his mentality was very very good. I know sometimes people saw him snap or whatever, but he he was a very very good fighter, and I think some of some of the people he'll be coaching will need that.
Speaker 1: So do you think he's going to end up with a younger British player something like that?
Speaker 3: And I don't know who who will end up with, but I think he'd be a waste of knowledge and experience if he didn't end up on the toy yet.
Speaker 2: Well, and fun as.
Speaker 1: Well if he was in your team.
Speaker 3: The off court stuff is fun as well, oh mad little games you play in the players lounge and and and the commentary of that. Yeah, I hope to see I'd like to like to see him around.
Speaker 2: I think I think he'll stay in the game.
Speaker 1: I hope so well. I mean I've always really admired him. As I said, don't know him at all, but admired him as a player. And as you said.
Speaker 3: Get him on here, We'll get him on here to come on. I'd love to play, but not talk about his game.
Speaker 1: I couldn't care less about that. But schwang ko wang with Dan Evans, I mean he's got it's perfect. I feel it's good. YEA one person who has transitioned into coaching is with Djokovic last year. Is Andy Murray's now with Jack Draper. From your time around British tennis as the grandfather of British tennis, what did you always think Andy Murray is going to end up as a coach.
Speaker 3: He's always going to add value to the game at some point after his career. Yeah, it would be silly if someone didn't tap him up.
Speaker 1: He seems to me like analytical super process. Yeah, like he just he always had the air almost like when you see a footballer like Jordan Henderson. Now you think Henderson's going to be a manager in two years, I can see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think if he's not playing the next World Cup.
Speaker 1: Yeah of course, of course. Yeah, adding that ten minute value. But the yeah, I can see that with Murray. And I'm not surprised that Jack Draper's got Andy Murray in his corner, are you.
Speaker 2: Not one bit?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I think they'll do well to go.
Speaker 1: I just think Murray's playing with him, as in, is he.
Speaker 3: Hitting hitting with him? I saw him hitting the other day.
Speaker 1: Yet you were there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was at Eastbourne and he was hitting, hitting with him. He's still obviously outrageous.
Speaker 2: At the sport.
Speaker 1: Really, so where are you caught next to him?
Speaker 3: I'm walking down the hill and I see him. I'd just see a back end just hit the middle of the strings ten times in our own director where he.
Speaker 2: Wants kind of thing. Yeah, yeah, one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, I'm only on nine, but yeah ten times. Yeah that's Murray. So yeah, because he's like a hands on because I noticed that, you know, having been around comps, some coaches just are racket off, aren't they. They're down the end giving that little hug to the racket as a hitter gets involved. But yeah, I can see Murray wanting to to get the Torner grip on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's but it's nice like it's a nice feeling hitting balls. That's what you've done all your life.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So why wouldn't you and.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you as Draper want and he's back and coming back at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, of course. Well, I mean there's some of the bigger stories. There's plenty more because it's Wimbledon, it's the biggest Grand Slam of the year. After the break, I want Britwatch, which gives us a chance to play Bruce Faulsyth just just holding that there. This is what you're talking about, Willi's this is section two. This is britt Watch, which means next year is going to be a big breakthrough year for Bruce Fasythe. Yeah, I'm backing Brendy. We're all backing ready, So.
Speaker 3: The feelings going, so let's keep it going.
Speaker 1: The good time to bowing out. Then the music goes in there he is. Do you like Bruce Fullscythe Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's good a way, doesn't don't man personally?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's past tense now obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love I love Bruce, I love game shows. I like Bruce. I like everything about him. Big Bruce, Yeah, Big Bruce.
Speaker 3: Job kept the Tash all his life as well, which I've got a respectful.
Speaker 1: A lot of respect and a wig.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, Yeah, yeah, fantastic. Okay, I've got the Brits here, that's why we've got the brit watch music on. I'm going to rattle through it and I would love you to tell me everything you know from that vast NASA computer of a brain that you've got. Okay, So Radakano Rusick.
Speaker 2: I think she lost last time she played to her, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think okay there if she's physically fit, I think she's hitting and I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she'll be all right.
Speaker 1: There always questions about her fitness, and there's stories in the paper today. Of course, she's just got to the final, isn't she. You know, she just got to a grad school final and a second round match potentially against Harriet Dart. That's yeah, that is that's a blockbuster. So we're saying Radocanu a okay on that one.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: So. Now, Katie Boltera loves the grass. She's playing Katerina grant Italian. But can get tight? Can't she bolt up? Can start that ball toss and all sorts of suddenly things look nervy. I think she's gonna have too much here, you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, I've not seen many players that don't get tight sometimes. I just think it's more obvious when the bulltoss goes with some people, but for other people they'll start pushing, or they'll.
Speaker 2: Start slapping on the feet, will start.
Speaker 3: But I think with Katie, when something has historically gone, it's been a server of bortos, and that's more obvious for everyone. Can you see someone throw the ball up the wrong way you go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I think she's confidence playing well Ribekina a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. She likes the out crowd as well.
Speaker 2: She does.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a lot of pressure for Britt's playing women and that people will never realize.
Speaker 2: As well.
Speaker 3: Grass season is great, fun to play at home, but there's this expectation that if you play anyone within your ranking you should win. Otherwise it's a disaster. So you know, she's playing a qualifiers one. Three matches not easy. Yeah, I think you know, if she gets out of them and plays the best game, sure win.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now. Harriet Dart, aforementioned potential second round opponent of Emma Radakanu is playing Oster Penko. So I live four miles from Wimbledon. There's a chance Oster Penko nails a ball into the corner of the court. There's a chance it might hit my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Four miles is well within that radius.
Speaker 1: Good luck predicted this one, mate, What you're saying.
Speaker 3: I think she's brilliant panker. Yeah, I can't predict that.
Speaker 2: I can't preget that. It's just unpredictable.
Speaker 1: Rue, I'm gonna go six love love six six love, I don't think, but I don't know where. Okay, but I'm saying who knows? Who knows? Right, I'd like to see a British second round match, So let's see now. My favorite backhand is Diane Parry. Sweet as a nut, isn't it. She takes on friend Jones.
Speaker 3: Tough again, tough Yeah, Frank and Frans a hell of a competitor. Diane's incredibly talented, as we know. But yeah, it's not one I don't know with that.
Speaker 2: I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I know Frans better on clay historically. But it's not like it's not like grass is playing unbelievably quick nowadays either.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it'll be a scrap I.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah, I think, I I do my little uh tennis YouTube history has a lot of dying Barry's backhands in it, so fair enough, delete cookies and stop all the.
Speaker 2: Pop ups and move on, Harry Backham.
Speaker 1: Katie Swan against Bego what do you think? Like? Yeah, go on?
Speaker 2: What do you think that begs?
Speaker 3: Beggo's very experienced, been around for a while now, Yes, I'm thinking of Yeah, Katie's obviously playing well injury free. Uh, great competitor, likes grass again.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna do a.
Speaker 3: Lot of fences with these matches because I generally don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think what we are seeing with Katie is that it's the road back to the kind of being in a big time, isn't it. You know, she's she's on the route upwards again, and that's not always a smooth road. There are bumps in that, so, like finding consistency and things like that is always tough, and playing against someone who's experienced and yeah, I mean it's going to be like some one's going to need patience minimum. But it's a tough to all, really tough.
Speaker 3: She's a good competitor. Yeah, I don't think that would be an issue. It's just yeah, can she go over the line? I think she can, but it's not it's not one of those because she's not playing a seed.
Speaker 2: It's easy, it's it's a hard match.
Speaker 1: Well, Hannah Klugman has a former Grand Slam champion, of course, just one of them. So we've got Hannah Klugman, Mimiso and Mika Steuslervich. And these are our three. You know, we spoke about them on the podcast a few weeks ago, this kind of class of two thousand and eight or something. It seems about twelve minutes ago for me, but I mean that these are seventeen eighteen year olds, and how do you see all of their hopes? Generally it is winning around huge success for all three of these players.
Speaker 3: Considering the draws they got them, Yeah, it would be yeah, yeah, it's it's not nice. I've seen their drawers, but it's great. It's a valuable experience regardless of the result. It really is playing you know, ex Randslam champions, X Grandslam finalists, very good players. You go out there and see where your games at, see how hard you can push them. See if you can win. But yeah, they win one of those matches and they'll be looking at the second round. It's not you know, it's dramatic for an hour after the match and then you know, straight into the next one.
Speaker 2: It just it doesn't.
Speaker 3: I don't think it defines their career one match, but they can give them a lot of confidence.
Speaker 1: When you were seventeen and you were stepping out there, Willis, did you play with more nerves less nerves? Could you remember what your seventeen year old brain was like? Barely mind? Your brain now is about six years old. Can you just picture what a seventeen year old brain is like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I wasn't playing Maine to a woman in that age, but but yeah, it was nerve.
Speaker 2: It was I.
Speaker 3: Felt more nerve then than I do now because I was less experience. But yeah, it's it's difficult. These girls have got far more experience than I did playing at the highest level. But you know, playing junior Windwood and when I was that age, it was nerve wrecking. It was a lot more dramatic in my head than it was in real life. Right, Yeah, you start thinking, oh this this matches everything, and you know it was and I played World. I'm a third round two years in a row, a year youngest for that. But little did I know, I had no kind of You know, if you win this ornament, it's there's there's been junior woman and champions that now don't play tennis anymore.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, yeah they've got.
Speaker 3: Jobs and less so in Roland Garras, but you know they've got their careers ahead of them. I think they all do very well. They're very talented. It's just they might not win this year, and they might and I don't think it makes a huge difference into their development, to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, because you hear, don't you Some people say when they were young they played without fear, and then others say the opposite, Actually they grew into playing without fear and kind of.
Speaker 3: Having I don't believe any one who says they play without fear but you don't play fear free ever, No, I don't. I can't relate to that. It's just you might think there's nothing to lose, but I think as you get better, there is stuff to lose. As you realize you're at the level where you are, you start thinking, okay, no, I can beat this. Player, and I think when you're inexperience and young and you've got nothing to lose, Yeah, it's still very different when you're five four and you've got to serve it out. You're telling me you've got no nerves. Then I don't think that's true.
Speaker 1: No, No, Perhaps it's all just stuff that sits well in quick quotes and newspaper articles and yeah, that kind of thing as.
Speaker 2: Opposed to the actual performance.
Speaker 1: I mean, Hannah won, Hannahkogman won the first WTA main draw win in Nottingham last week. Mimis you did that last year. Meeker is national champion last year. But as you said, they're playing Grand Slam champs, plainly big champs. You know, Christ they've got tough drawers. But you've got to cut your teeth, and you're like, these are the people that they presumably want to be that themselves. So now they get to go and see what the difference is and hopefully come in with a little bit of an upset there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never know, you never know.
Speaker 1: Now a name that I don't know, I don't know much about Alicia Doudney, do Denny?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think that, Yeah, I think that's how you say, American College. She goes to American College, won a lot of matches in the you know, since she's the pro, I don't know a lot about her as well.
Speaker 1: Isn't it funny that that American college scene, how these players can from the age of eighteen, they disappear for four years from British rankings, ratings tournaments and they go and play absolute top class tennis out there and kind of come up the radar, and then all of a sudden they're back in like a Jacob Fernley that you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's what a lot of people are doing. And it's nice to see the girl side as well. It's happening happening as well. And yes, been playing the top events last few weeks, picked up a couple of wins and he's playing a list of parks.
Speaker 1: All right, that's right, huge.
Speaker 3: Huge, big hitter, you can win that. Seeing her play play a bit, it's good.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's going to be absolute banger. I would say they they might not be a rally in the first four games, That's what I'm going with. I'm going with Lord Bangleton's no rallies, not for the first four games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what classifies the rally to.
Speaker 1: You, I think you need both need a plus one so four yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, So a rally for me is like six six shots minimum.
Speaker 2: Wow, Well, you.
Speaker 3: Could go serve, return, approach and stretch miss. That's not a rally.
Speaker 2: It's just a serve and a forehun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, what do you remember your greatest rally?
Speaker 3: No, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't put that.
Speaker 3: As I told you earlier, I've got tembules max, I've never I've never seen the eleven.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: No, actually, when I trained with Smithy there was more than that.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to the men's side. Did we do this one first? Jack Draper against Taylor Fritz Boom.
Speaker 3: It's fen sitting, isn't it, Because I actually don't know. It's best of five. Jack's got some matches in him now, I don't know. Fritz is just very very good as well.
Speaker 1: He's good at tennis, isn't he.
Speaker 3: He's very very good and good on grass and it seems to play quite loosely.
Speaker 2: But it's not going to be easy either way. I think I think if Jack's got to win it, it's got to be in three or four.
Speaker 3: But again quote that because Jack can win five sets, is incredibly fit. I just don't know. He hasn't played a lot of tennis. It's quite hard to track.
Speaker 1: I wonder if we'll get that little bit of different bounce under him, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not got a physical problem of fitnesses in terms of lasting a long time. It's it's more he hasn't done it for a while, right, He hasn't played the best office the match since first round of US Open.
Speaker 2: So so I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm obviously really looking forward to it. I think it will be Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think head head says for it, heart says Jack for me. But there's a bit of push pull in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there is a bit of push for.
Speaker 3: Like on paper, if you look at everything and you don't know Jack, then you go our for Richard win that because there's a player here who's been out for a while and blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: But it's Jack.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a huge one. That's tea time. That's got a tea time Tuesday written all over it, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be tucking into something.
Speaker 1: Then we're canceling the news to continue with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, guys, Draper's sending rockets down still on the weather for a bit. It's going to be art.
Speaker 2: I could do. I could do all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Cam Norri against Michael Sheng now twenty twenty two, since Noriy got to the semi finals at Wimbledon a while ago. But he is Cam nor right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean Michael Sayings did very well in college and come with qualities as well.
Speaker 2: That's not a nice first round. It looks like a nice one, is not.
Speaker 1: You don't think like Cam is just too steady.
Speaker 3: Maybe, yeah, but you've got someone who's used to playing matches under high pressure.
Speaker 2: He's got three matches under his belt. Good player.
Speaker 3: Norri's first match at Winburden, it's not I don't think it will.
Speaker 1: Be a rolling nothing to lose, well, no, not.
Speaker 2: Nothing to lose, but I just don't think it.
Speaker 3: I'll be surprised if Nori won two to two and two or something, or you know, easily and straight sets.
Speaker 2: I'd be surprised he can.
Speaker 3: But I think the depth and in tennis's there's not many easy draws for anyone out there anymore. No, no, I expect one or two of the sets to be tight.
Speaker 1: Yes at least yeah, yeah yeah, Yan joined Ski came Caprieva your man, I mean vis yeah, mate, pronounce it. So choine Sky's just cracked the he got into the top hundred.
Speaker 2: He did playing for Vitamin K first round.
Speaker 1: Yeah kay, I mean I wonder like this is a huge moment for him in terms of he's got a winnable match first of all, and that paycheck comes in and you've just got into the top hundred. This propels you again, doesn't it. This is the there's a lot of ingredients here where you go.
Speaker 3: Points wise, I don't think it's that it's like forty or fifty points for first round win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's good, but it's not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, financially very good and second round of women and blah blah.
Speaker 2: But for someone hundred, someone just about top hundred.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean they're going to stay in top hundred forever if they just win the first round.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's winnable for VI as well. It's good.
Speaker 3: Think Yeah, he's a good player, better on clay. But as I said, I can't stress enough. Now you can jump off a c plate, a cray a clay caught onto a grass court in two three days and be feeling all right.
Speaker 2: It's not that different nowadays they've slowed everything down. I'm I'm you don't eat it one volley to when I'm at.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm thinking, this is uh not easy. But I think this is a he's got a real shot. He's a real shot. Okay, so.
Speaker 2: I think he does as well. But but yeah, I would.
Speaker 3: I if it goes four or five or bit wins, I wouldn't be like overly.
Speaker 1: Shot Jacob Fernley against Alex Michelson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Michaelson's good, good or rounder, smart player, loads of weapons.
Speaker 2: Jacob's prey good as well. It depends how if.
Speaker 3: He goes and execute as well. But I think that'll be a good match. Not going to be much slow hitting balls going on.
Speaker 1: Both both ex college as well. Both come from that scene, haven't they, I think?
Speaker 2: So I don't know where Mechason went. Sure, did he go anywhere?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got I've got his college that he was a college guy. So yeah, Jacob, Yeah, yeah, I think it's possible to be both there. Mate, he can be young and you can be old. I'm very excited for so, I think Jacob Ferley that I saw him in the fourth round against Jokovic. Was it a couple of years ago when he really kind of burst onto the scene for a lot of bridge tennis fans, And yeah, I think he's going to have a little bit too much here. Yeah, Billy Harris.
Speaker 2: Let me trumpet qualifier against Kashanov.
Speaker 3: Yeah again, there's not gonna be much nudging of the ball going on there.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know Billy so well, right, So.
Speaker 3: I've been Karen player a few times. He doesn't mind giving it a thump repetitively, regressively.
Speaker 1: So what is Billy going to do against Karen.
Speaker 2: Kashanov probably hit it quite hard as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: I mean that'll be a great match. That'll be a great match. I don't know.
Speaker 3: If Billy goes out and executes, he can beat a lot of good people. Yes, And they say, well, I don't know if kashov Is best surface is grass, but he's obviously very good on it still because he serves at one thirty and lasers balls from both sides.
Speaker 2: But no, I think we're in for a good match there. I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: I think don't you think that the crowd are just on the on the Billy Harris kind of train, like I think people who've known him like proper tennis people in Britain. He's a real kind of cult hero for him.
Speaker 3: I think he's always been a hero to me though.
Speaker 1: Ah and of course many many years ago now he actually came onto this podcast as well, thought of talked about his fry upright and eating tuna for seven months or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah McDonald's car parks for Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Arthur Ferry somebody that you've played alongside, but that hasn't let him hold himself back. You know he learned from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, a lot of people it's fight or flight, isn't.
Speaker 3: That You come away from that and go, I never want that happen again. I better apply myself in singles.
Speaker 1: Uh, he's playing Jim, tell.
Speaker 2: Me I'm a good combat that people.
Speaker 3: We'll see fairies form and go that it should be easy on paper, but he is a good comester and very quick. We'll fight for every point, as I say, no easy drawers. I think, yeah, I think that'll be a great match to watch as well. I think Arthur Arthur, we'll have too much for him, but I don't. You can't write him off. That's an animal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look but fairy is what he's got. Guyle, he's crafty, he's clever, knows wimbled, and he's played it so much as a junior whos played loads of grass court stuff. I've seen him play there for years in various forms.
Speaker 3: Very good and yeah, her kind of rises to that as well. Some of her likes a scrap. He likes being the underdog will like. I think he'll play some of his best tennis as well. But if Arthur plays well, he can be. As we see in at Queens, he's very very good as well.
Speaker 1: Do you think either one of them are thinking about second round? Ben Shelton?
Speaker 2: You never knows.
Speaker 3: Shelton obviously his top tennis is very top, but if he's not confident on something he can he's not had the consistency yet to guarantee him into the second week of a Slatin. I don't think on his on his on his top day, Yeah, play Shelton on grass and he's feeling it.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 1: So what I want to do now, we've got about five or six matches to go, five or six players I just want you to pick out one or two of them that you think that is the match that if you had the popcorn, you're going to be sitting and watching that. We have got Jack p J Jack, Pennington Jones, Toby Samuel, Felix Gill against your door.
Speaker 2: All right? Is Pennington Jones playing against.
Speaker 1: Who he has got Nakashima? Yeah, Toby Samuel's got men sick. Yeah, We've got Max, Max Basing and Harry Wendelken.
Speaker 2: So who's Wender? Can play?
Speaker 1: Of these guys? He's got Royer, Valentine Royer. Okay, I know Grueling, the winner of Wendalken as well, could go on to play as Verev in the second round on the center obviously, because he's gad.
Speaker 3: Wend Royer will be a good match. Felix Gill against will be a good match.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's got just It would be lovely to play Jodan, now you know what I mean, like just to just to see what all the fuss is about? Almost a yeah, yes and no, yeah, yeah I'd rather not I'd rather play me. But you know what I mean, what's it all about? It could be one of those things where he's not got any grass call experience. This is his first time blah blah blah, and you could get a good win, you could get like the career win. Oh yeah I beat him mate, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean Phelix is a great combetor and he's had some matches on grass course. Just what I would say again, I'll reiterate it. I can't stress enough how the speed of the grass is not much different to that other hardcore or so it won't be the speed that catches or.
Speaker 2: The height of the ball. It's all very similar. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I think there's going to be fewer upsets at Winwoldon now than there ever was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is a shame. And yeah talk about players.
Speaker 3: I guess for players, they turn up and it's not that uncomfortable anymore, and you get a better level of tennis all around the year because upsets me.
Speaker 2: And someone's having a shocker really most of the time.
Speaker 1: Well, the shocking drawer Toby Samuel against men Sick. I mean like, uh, he's going on to big things, Mensick and Samuel's playing ever so well and has really rafted and climbed the ladder and stuff. But yeah, he's gonna have to play the match of his life. Really, isn't he to.
Speaker 2: To beat him?
Speaker 1: But again experienced grass, call player, home crowd, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Again, they're not very nudging it around.
Speaker 1: Any of these matches in particular where you're you're thinking, right, that's the one for me, either in the women's side or the men's side. Is there a match, let's both choose a popcorn match.
Speaker 2: Mine's obvious, so.
Speaker 1: Of course I'm going to go dark Ostapenko.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's also a good one.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be mine. So I just can't wait. As we said, wimble them fever, it's here. We wait all year and it's finally here. So there's plenty more to come from the words you're talking about Willis Podcast. We're going to be talking regularly, whether you want us or not. In fact or not, is what you do want and we're still doing it anyway.
Speaker 3: Our payment model is going to be very different to most people. You actually have to pay us to stop. We just keep podcasting, sending it out, and then you have to subscribe for us to not do one for a week.
Speaker 1: Ye can't wait to talk about your mate speech soon.
Speaker 3: Victor baronco on trombone, Sergeant Major Craig Frederick on the trumpets and the composition.
Speaker 1: The Army Blues walked back down