Speaker 1: You're with us here on the Business Today podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Ababakaya and joining us today is Diman Shah, the co founder and co CEO of luxury home brand It's Brava, which is growing from strength to strength. It's actually completed its tenth year this year and we're celebrating the anniversary. Congratulations, demand, thank you, thank you very much. Phenomenal growth. I want to kick off by saying that everyone's watched how the Brava story has gone from zero to a thousand crores in.
Speaker 1: Just ten years.
Speaker 2: It is absolutely phenomenal. So today we're going to dive in and understand how this happened.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, absolutely, very excited. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: So tell us when you first began and was this pre covid was it? Did you already have the seeds of thought pre covid? You know, where did you first begin to think about creating this concept?
Speaker 4: So absolutely pre covid.
Speaker 3: Let me start with that, you know where, Like like you said, we're completing our ten years and yeah, we started. The seeds of thought were way before COVID. Actually this had nothing to do with COVID. Actually, COVID just accelerated what we thought and saw coming the way India lives, etc.
Speaker 4: I'm sure we'll get to that through the course of the conversation.
Speaker 3: But very simply, you know, I was my brother and I were working abroad.
Speaker 4: I was in New York.
Speaker 3: He was in London and New York and we were investment bankers and came back, went to go out, fell back in love with Goa. We had you know, growing up as children, you go but fell back in love with GOA. Wanted to buy something of our own, and we just didn't like anything that we saw.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You had a lot of local builders. You had a few guys from Delhi at the time, even then, and they were just doing unimaginative stuff. Right there just wasn't anything that we loved.
Speaker 1: And the dream, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's the dream to own your own home and to find something that you can love and you can call your own.
Speaker 3: Absolutely lucally, and you know, the dream for us was actually to build a true luxury brand. It wasn't real estate. We weren't planning on building a real estate brand. What we wanted to build was a true luxury brand. We happened to see the gap in the market, which was real estate which was building homes one of the kind homes and go other people had never seen before, layering on a whole host of other things like service management. You know, we manage your homes end to end. We have a twenty four x seven conciage. We had that from day one.
Speaker 1: Probably a little ahead of its time, a very.
Speaker 4: Ahead of its time. No one had heard of there's no one had experienced this.
Speaker 3: You know, our buyers, our people, their professionals, their bankers, their lawyers, their entrepreneurs, their industrialists, and I mean we realized true luxury lies and removing a lot of this friction, right, which is what we started doing for them, not only building what we like to consider and I think others consider as well, some of the most beautiful homes in the world, but layering on really really robust services around it, from you know, airport pickups and drops. We fully manage your home, say your housekeeping, your pool cleaning, your landscaping, and everything in between. We have a very strong in house F and B program. All of it gets layered on top, right and uh, and that's what people want, right. That's when when you're building out a luxury product, you have to cater to all of that and we've done that from.
Speaker 1: Day one fantastic.
Speaker 2: So, you know, did you have to put in some of your own money? Did you find early investors?
Speaker 1: What did it take now?
Speaker 3: So I it in the early days, it took a lot. We actually uh convinced our father and he very generously agreed, and we mortgaged his house kind of loan and uh we uh and that's how we started the business.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: We bought a parcel of land.
Speaker 3: Uh. We used some of the you know money we had through this kind of loan to build, built our first home, sold it, built our second home with money from that sold it, filed our third home, and so on and so forth. And then I want to say, close to ten homes into what we were doing is when we started actually getting external investors. Right, People started believing in our story. People started seeing that what we're doing is completely different. Indian real estate hadn't seen anything like this.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Imagine these massive homes, right, luxury high end homes, fully furnished, fully managed, fully serviced, delivery of homes ahead of time. This was you know, just as the cusp of yeah, and just on the cusp of Rara coming in Rara hadn't yet come in.
Speaker 4: So, you know, Raira has been really good for the industry.
Speaker 3: I think it's just helped him create creating a lot of confidence. It weeded out all your fly by night kind of guys and you know, your true credible players thrive in Arera environment. When we started out, Rara wasn't really so real estate had a bad name actually if you think absolute. So people were seeing what we were doing and saying, hey, wow, right, and you know, place like go Up. That's where our journey started. Now whre in several other locations. But so we know, we've been really fortunate with the partners. We've had people who've taken you know, a chance on us in our early days, the ghost Rage family, the Berman's, the you know in several other right, and now we have more institutional style capitals. We have a couple of private recuity funds. But that's how it all started. And you know, I think we just literally built no pun intended, brick by brick, right, That's that's how That's how we did it.
Speaker 2: So you said you didn't want to become a real estate brand, but you obviously had to build to probably show proof of concept, to create sort of a model, you know, prototypes, so to say, in terms of what you were looking to build, and then it's just evolved into that as you've gone ahead. Now you've actually raised quite a bit of institutional capital recently. Tell us about that, and tell us you know what the plan is in terms of the rollout and the kind of infantry you're looking to build going ahead.
Speaker 3: Right, So let me answer this by putting some numbers in in in context. First, we now currently have about four hundred and fifty homes under construction. These are various stages of construction, like from early summer in the pre launch stage, pre design stage, and summer close to completion. Four hundred and fifty homes under construction, four hundred of which approx. Four hundred fourteen of which are already sold, maybe a bit more actually now.
Speaker 1: And give everyone the price point of these homes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So these homes eighty percent of these homes in an average price point of about fifteen to sixteen crows. About twenty percent of these homes in the average price point but five to six cross.
Speaker 4: That's broadly the breakup today.
Speaker 3: We have, in addition, delivered about one hundred and eighty five homes now close to two hundred homes in addition.
Speaker 4: To what we have under construction. So that's just the context of where we are.
Speaker 3: This is across locations Goa, Alibag, Casoli, and we're launching Karjat very soon as well, so that those are the locations.
Speaker 4: So right now, everything i'm telling you is.
Speaker 3: Actually spread across three locations, right because Karjat is to be launched. So you know, the way, what we realized is the way to actually scale this business is to be deep in a location rather than just being in several locations. Right, that strategy doesn't really work it according to us. So when we wanted to, you know, when we receive some inbounds to raise capital, we were very fortunate, again, very high quality kind of private equity partners, et cetera approached us. We didn't really need to raise too much capital. Again, fortunately we you know, we're a profitable company, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Have you been profitable from get go?
Speaker 4: No, No we haven't.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll come back to that story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we haven't been profitable from the get go. We actually grew into profitability and we'll come back to it and I'll explain why there's newance to why.
Speaker 4: Et cetera.
Speaker 3: And so we're very fortunate we got we're partnering with Hillhouse in India, which is alta capital led by Sid Gupta. He's, you know, a legendary investor, understands real estate, understands luxury. Him and his team, you know, work closely with us.
Speaker 4: So we raised one.
Speaker 3: Hundred million US dollars in capital, primarily, like I said, for growth, because we're profitable. So this was all growth capital. The strategy is to go deeper, you know. And now I'll segue a little because it's all linked. We started with brand is Brava. What is Brava does? Is we just like you know, we spend some time talking about we build beautiful homes. Right the average selling price in Isprava is fifteen to sixteen cross. We've just sold a home for one hundred crows. Wow, thank you, thank you. So you know, no we can't you know, even the even the ten crow home, we can't. We really maintain really strict confidentiality. So I wish I could that I wish I could, but we can't. So but your average ticket is fifteen to sixteen cross, everything between ten cross to one hundred Cross is where Esprava operates. But if you take away to averages fifteen to sixteen Cross. We then layered onmo is a very high end luxury management and rental brand. So what Lohono does is then manages these homes and rents them in short in a short term format, again literally at the upper end of the band super luxury. Like I started with, we are a luxury house. We put out brands that are only in the luxury segment. We recently then launched the chapter.
Speaker 2: Okay, before you get to the chapter, So if I wanted to, let's say, go and rent out a Lohano stage in Goa, what would be the average pricing? It could be seasonal, but what would be the average pricing.
Speaker 3: Anywhere between thirty to forty thousand rupeas a night for a three bedroom to a four bedroom home. We have six bedroom homes, we have ten bedroom homes, and we don't have anything less than a three bedroom home.
Speaker 2: And what's the kind of inventory or the number of rooms you have when it comes to.
Speaker 4: So a lot? Okay, no, no, let me let me quantify it for you.
Speaker 3: We have in India alone, we have over one thousand rooms really in India alone, we have over one thousand rooms.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: And so this is not just in those three locations.
Speaker 3: No, no, this is I mean we're in Kashmir where in Rajasthan where Isprava and Chapter don't operate, okay, and there we take over really one of the kind properties. You know, people have built great assets over time. In Rajasthan, we have, you know, some properties that are part of the royal families.
Speaker 4: You know, as a pool, et cetera.
Speaker 3: So we are all really high quality assets that we then kind of you know.
Speaker 2: And you and you fill up the capacity. I mean really you're seeing.
Speaker 3: That much demand, you know, and this can be a segment on its own, right, No, no, no, but you know, if you think about Indians, right, all of us, we don't we do one out of ten trips or holidays with just us and our spouse, right when not like the West, the West they do nine out of ten trips is just the person in their spouse. In India, only one out of ten is you and your spouse. Nine out of ten trips is actually you in a group, right, You with family, you with friends, You with family and friends.
Speaker 4: We're very social.
Speaker 3: We like to holiday We're generous, we're large hearted, we like to be together, we.
Speaker 4: Like to you know, that's who we are.
Speaker 3: So very high end villas work really well because your swimming pool is yours, it's private, just for your group. You're in a living area that's yours, private just to your group. So you're not in a hotel sharing it with one thousand other people. Right, You're part of a very small community. It's only your pool, only your living room. You want to eat breakfast at four pm, you can eat breakfast at four pm. F and B is tailor made and catered to you. We Indians, we're also foodies. We love food, we love.
Speaker 4: Eating at different hours and different times, etc. Et cetera.
Speaker 3: You're able to cater to all of that as long as you crack service, which is something I think we've done really really well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean it's very refuted in the industry. Everyone knows what in it. Bravaar Lahono's experience.
Speaker 3: Will be exactly exactly. So you know, when you have all of that right, the market just keeps growing.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You look at your super rich in India, your Bollywood stars, your cricketers, your industrialists, your low they only want to stay in luxury serviced villas. Almost nobody goes to a hotel anymore in that segment.
Speaker 4: I mean they do. There's a use case for hotels as well.
Speaker 3: Right, But when you want true privacy, when you want true luxury, when you want a very differentiated experience, you will do you know, a luxury villa kind of stay.
Speaker 2: Okay, So is it just the celebs the man or are you also seeing, like you said, you know, a larger segment.
Speaker 4: Right, seeing a massive segment.
Speaker 3: I was just using celebs as an example, but a massive segment right. In general, Indians are loving staying in luxury villas, right, and we are literally in most geography is the only real game in town.
Speaker 4: At that end of the segment.
Speaker 3: There are the villa company, but they're not service sing and they're not servicing. You know, it's it's a very you know, kind of hit and misservice level. Our service level is actually very elevated.
Speaker 1: So that's clearly your us USB.
Speaker 3: You know, we have two kind of very strong rights to win in this business in Lohono. Number one is the best product. We have the best home spirit. No one can no one in India has better homes than us on the Lohana platform and number two US service is insanely good. So I wouldn't say our service is like how I said about product the best in India because you go to a hotel and many hotels have great service, right Joe Buroi for the four seasons and so on and so forth, they all have great service. But our service is up there, right, but our product is unmatched, unparallel. You combine the two, it becomes very impotent. And that's why we're winning.
Speaker 1: Okay, fantastic.
Speaker 2: So now chapter you sink I interrupted your course the next leg of growth.
Speaker 3: Right, so you know the way we think about it is Isprava is our super luxury and Lohono kind of layers on top of everything. And then the chapter is our luxury brand. Right where your average ticket size between four to six cross, so call it five cross. These are fully furnished like in Isprava home really beautiful homes, very techingable. Though you kind of design your entire home with us on an iPad.
Speaker 1: What fun.
Speaker 3: People are loving it and think about it, right, you get a three bedroom home with a private swimming pool, fully furnished.
Speaker 1: Fully backed up, fully done for you.
Speaker 3: Every fully serviced with by Lohono for five cross right and go our Alibag or Karajats right.
Speaker 2: And but tell me something this trend and I think that's why we touched upon COVID earlier because clearly the second home or the holiday home trend came about during that time or accelerated during that time. Do you think today people I mean a clearly the demand is still there. I want to ask that question, but are people also looking for this, you know, within their city of residents because we're seeing luxury booming across metros. Are you going to continue to focus on the second home market or are you also looking at new segments?
Speaker 3: No great question, I think. So let me actually just kind of tweak what you said, right, We actually don't view ourselves as a second home or you know, holiday home kind of player at all. Okay, and I'll tell you why again. I'll just give you some data points. Thirty to thirty five percent of people who buy from US are using these home as primary residences. I define a primary residence as someone who's using spending nine to twelve months in a Really now, look at places like Alibag, you look at even places like goa right, these are becoming real. They're not holiday destinations anymore. Right, people are moving. Ninety percent of our homeowners are not investors, right, ninety five percent actually are not in These are end users.
Speaker 4: Number one.
Speaker 3: Number two is again i'll link back to you know how we are with family, et cetera. One person might buy the home, but between eight to nine months in a year, you have someone from the family living in the home.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that's point one.
Speaker 3: Point two is another thirty percent of our homeowners use these as semi primary owns.
Speaker 4: Ok.
Speaker 3: What we define as a semi primary home is someone who uses their home four to six months in a year. So the majority of our homeowners are primary and semi primary homeowners. Now, the amazing thing about that is, you know, I say this over and over again, but our cities are becoming unlivable. Right for six months in the year, you can't breathe the air and deli traffic in Bombay roads I have dug up every single day. There's something or the other going on. We're a big city growing fast. You have to build infra on the fly, right, I get it. It's not easy to build the kind of infra we are building. But that also makes the cities a little unlivable. Bangalore has a traffic problem and so on. Right, I think so the cities are becoming more and more and more unlivable, which means really wealthy Indians are saying, hey, look, of course my primary residence is my city, but I'm going to also have a home in Alibag or Goa or the hills where my family will go, I will go. You combine that with the fact that you look at our central government and you look at state governments. The kind of jobs they have done when it comes to infra is unbelievable. It's been unprecedented over the last ten to fifteen years, the kind of growth we've seen in infra. Right, I use Goa as an example. You have two international airports. It's a small state, right, A small state like that has two international airports. These are world class airports, both of them. You look at Ali bad right, the kind of connectivity that you're getting by road, by water, by you know, it's unbelievable, it's unprecedented. No one has seen something like this. Suddenly, all these look at Karjat Karjats now, I mean sitting here in Bombay, right, will be in South Bombay, will be in Karjatan sixteen minutes.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Ten years ago it would take you sixteen minutes to reach Bandra, right, I mean pre ceiling, it would take you nineteen minutes to reach Bandra. So the infra and the work that you know, our government has been doing over the last ten to fifteen years has also made a lot of these locations not holiday destinations, but also semi primary and primary home destinations. People are realizing, Hey, when the air is unbreathable in Delhi, I'm going to my old you know, my parents who have retired can go stay in my home and go off for four months, right, and they come back to Delhi and I can be in and out and my kids can be there my you know. So when you combine this great infrastructure growth with Indians getting richer and hence wanting to invest in wellness, in their children, breathing better air and just a quality of life, right, the market actually is growing exponentially and demand is really strong, really firm, and it's not just a holiday destination or holiday asset anymore.
Speaker 4: It's actually a very real asset that you use.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you explained that yeah, and I want to talk further about, you know, what you're envisioning for the future. You know, you've already talked about how much development we've seen in the last few years. But before we do that, let me rewind a little bit and come to that past to profitability piece more to understand your own journey as an entrepreneur, as somebody that you know, people are aspiring to hear your story as to how you've created a space or a niche in this market, how you've built it up to this scale, and actually in a very very short amount of time, you know, tell us what that journey was like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, you know, I think the first five to seven years, like any business, right, Firstly, I think overnight in a business is a decade. You know when when you hear about a business growing, you know, when people in passing and not talk about us something in general, say oh they've grown so fast overnight, right, or you know this business is overnight is a decade in business, right, The quickest you can get anywhere is ten years. And you have to know that and clear and be clear about that.
Speaker 4: Right. No, I mean, I mean.
Speaker 2: Most of the success stories we're seeing today, most of them are about a decade. You may hear about them and that acceleration period maybe two three years, but it's.
Speaker 3: Taken a decade, right, And there's so much battling that happens underwater, that's you know, invisible, and there's just and especially when you're doing something different, there's it takes a lot of convincing. Right, you have two and then you'll have you'll have the visionary investors, You'll have the in visionary clients will say, yeah, that's different. Actually, I'm willing to bet on this, right, I'm willing to come in in some way, shape or form and partner with them.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And I think the first five to seven years we were not profitable. We've always investing in growth. Real estate has a nuance which is that you might sell a home today, but if it's under construction, you can't book the whole thing on your P and L. So there's a POC, a method of accounting, etc. I won't bore you and your viewers with that, but so it takes time for it all to play out in your P and L. So on our P and L, you know, first five to seven years we were not profitable. And then I mean but we always knew that there was a clear path and it was just a function of the P and L catching up to the audible kind of a thing, and the moment that happened, right, we swung fully into profitability and you know, we will continue to be very profitable going forward.
Speaker 2: You both and you and your brother are both incredibly young. You've both been featured on the forty under forty I think multiple times now, so as young leaders. I mean, clearly you must have had enough energy and drive to run around the country and sort this out. But what were some of the unique challenges you possibly faced dealing with regulators, investors, you know, uber, luxury clients.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: It's a good question, and again we could do a whole segment. Yes, Look, I think it whether you're a young or you're old or your middle ages an entrepreneur, I think you face similar challenges. Challenge number one is, and these all good things, right, is when you grow right, and you continue to grow, and you're so focused on growth your first when your team is ten people or twenty people, right, it's actually almost easier when you have twenty people and you'll all sit in one room and the culture is the same. Everyone's working in such a focused way towards an end goal. Everyone is hearing you talking to clients or talking to anyone, so everyone's kind of picking up. There's a lot of osmosis and reverse osmosis. I'm sitting in a room hearing someone on my team talking and learning something from them. They're hearing me talking and learning from me, and setting the culture and learnings is easier when that twenty person team becomes one hundred and.
Speaker 4: Then a thousand people.
Speaker 3: Right, That's actually a big challenge because how do you ensure that a certain value system, which, by the way, in our group, in the ISPRAVA group, is super crucial. Right, we live by a value system which we're really dedicated to.
Speaker 4: Small things. Right.
Speaker 3: Of course, everyone says, right, or you treat your clients like their gods, you do, but you need to treat your vendors like their gods as well. Right today, I mean anecdotally, whenever I'm in go I'm they often right. Once a week, bed ten to fifteen days a month, I will ask our vendor for taxis right?
Speaker 4: Are you being paid on time? You know?
Speaker 3: And I almost do that as almost like an audit, right to make sure that the value system of our company is translating on ground.
Speaker 4: Right. Is the taxi vendor being paid on time?
Speaker 3: Is the the you know, the guy who does our landscaping. Is he taken care of? And all of that is super crucial, right. You cannot lose the essence of who you are.
Speaker 4: Are you doing the right thing on ground? Right?
Speaker 3: We we really truly follow every rule in the book.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And but when you're a thousand people or eight hundred people or six hundred people, there might be one person who's, you know, in the interest of time and not because he's intending to do something or she's intending to do something, just because they're under pressure on time, might take a shortcut, right.
Speaker 4: But as a brand, that's you can't take a shortcut, right.
Speaker 3: So I think that's challenge number one, making sure that you're always doing the right thing or living by your value system, whatever that might be, because that's the only way you kind of transition from being a brand to an institution. And that's something we are really keen to do, right, to build an institution that you know, goes several hundred years.
Speaker 4: I think that's point one.
Speaker 3: Point two is the right people, right, having being able to attract the right leaders, being able to empower those leaders, being able to give them space and latitude and autonomy to success, succeed and fail, and you know, kind of step in and help them and handle them. You have to be incredibly patient because you keep thinking, hey, I can jump in and do that right, because you've been doing it right, so you think, hey, I can kind of It'll take me one hour rather than two hours, right for that person. But I think it's really important and it's been challenging to be able to say, no, let it take two hours. We're going to stand by this person and let them grow as well, because that's how the organization can grow. So clients are always you know, clients can be demanded. But again we're very fortunate our clients, and especially at the luxury end of the market, your clients are actually lovely.
Speaker 4: Uh. They they work closely with you. They become like your partners.
Speaker 3: A lot of our clients actually in our early days became investors because they just really bought into what we were doing and said, hey.
Speaker 2: And I know that one or two early clients that you do talk about, yeah, yes, tell us the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, no, So There's been a lot of people who have been really really supportive.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You look at Sunil Gavaska, the cricketer, he's a client, bought a home. He's been truly truly supportive. He's and then incidentally, I'm now married to his niece's family now and all of that. But uh another day, Yeah, that's that's for another day. But but but but.
Speaker 1: But you know, and I know the you just had your second baby.
Speaker 2: Yes, so congratulations, wishing you both, you know, all the best, and so wonderful to see your family grow.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, thank you so so you know, someone like him then Chris go Paralo Christian was an early buyer. Uh uh in he bought one of our early homes, right and uh again, just so supportive.
Speaker 4: We were kids, right when we were in.
Speaker 3: My late twenties starting our business, and to have clients who were not just clients, but you know, kind of even taught us, taught us a lot about our own business, right because they's had the experience. And there are countless, right, Rohan Lamba and Chris Gopalo, Krishna and people like the pagol I mean, I could keep naming them. They're all entrepreneurs and professionals, and you know, they've all been such great supporters and we've learned so much from them, and.
Speaker 4: That's the big advantage of our business.
Speaker 3: Actually, we are really privileged to meet and work with such great people who you've not just not just become your clients and friends, but you learn a lot from them, right you just sit down over dinner, and I mean I find myself picking their brains consistently and constantly, right like, no matter, how did you do that in your business? Or you know, the person might not be an entrepreneur, might be a professional, so hey, how do I think about this? Or how would you think about it? And there's a lot of learning. So we're really really fortunate.
Speaker 2: You know, you've always spoken about building a legacy, and we've seen this boom in luxury real estate in India, especially in the last few years. And every day now we're hearing of new projects coming up. Of course, and as usual, the market will always wonder when.
Speaker 1: There's a boom, like this, is it a trend? Is it going to bust? Is it?
Speaker 2: As you said, you know, back in the day, real estate didn't have a great reputation, So how would you answer this or approach this question. Is luxury real estate here to stay? Is it something that's going to be around for the long term.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I'll give you a short answer and a long answer. The short answer is yes, absolutely, it is here to stay. The long answer is Look, firstly, I think I think luxury. The word luxury and the term luxury is perhaps one of the most misused terms.
Speaker 4: Of this decade.
Speaker 3: Right today, everybody just adds the word luxury right to anything they do, right, But I think true.
Speaker 4: Luxury is here to stay.
Speaker 3: I think there are people across the country doing unbelievable work across sector. I'm not just saying real estate, hospitality, real estate, F and B, and those people are truly changing the game. And if and you know, I think the way to think about this is, is India growing as a nation?
Speaker 4: The answer is yes. Do you have line of sight on that growth?
Speaker 3: The answer is yes, we're almost in And I almost don't want to say it out loud because I don't.
Speaker 4: Want jinx anything.
Speaker 3: But just think about us as a nation, one of the largest consumer markets in the world, a very stable, balanced, sensible government in place, right, and then we're a democracy at that on top right, and then we have this really nice federal structure right between center and state where you have diversity as well, and everyone is there's a lot of balance, there's a lot of thought. There's a lot of focus on infrastructure growth. I think we as a nation have realized that we need infra structure growth to become to go where we want to go. So there's so much focus on that. Right, you have a big consumer market. You have a really really robust and I mean you know this better than me, really robust entrepreneurial ecosystem. Right, so you have a lot of great companies that are either startups or legacy businesses that are doubling down doing better. You know, again, we're unique as Indians. We place a huge emphasis on education, so we're aspirational, We're growing.
Speaker 4: I think the next decade.
Speaker 3: Two decades, maybe even three decades is clear in my mind, it's our time, right And I know you probably hear this day in and day out from everyone you talk to, but truly I believe it. I think it's our time and as long as that happens, the luxury end of the market, I think all segments will grow. We're talking luxury because we're talking luxury, but I think if you build a true luxury product and service or whatever you're in, luxury is here to stay. Luxury the state is here to stay. Luxury hospitality is here to stay. Not only is it here to stay, is here to thrive. It's here to thrive.
Speaker 2: Is it even as an investment option or as a pure experiential.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent is both?
Speaker 3: I mean again, and I know you've not asked this, but I'll give you numbers, right and on the investment part in most of the markets we work, right, Just numbers, Okay, great, So I'll give you some if you just paint a brush across all my markets that I operate in in Isprava and chapter right, keeger of underlying land is anywhere between twenty five to thirty percent. Really, that's insane if you think about it right over the last five years and going forward as well.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic that you're mentioning that, because everyone's only looking at the retail price, not looking at the underlying.
Speaker 3: Sat exactly, and think about it, right, Aba, Look, when not operating, like we said, in your big cities and your big cities, land is already really expensive, right, but you know you operate in a place like Aliba, Goo Goa, Casoli or Kajat.
Speaker 4: Right, these are all where you know Bombay and you know we're sitting in Bombas. Let's use Bomba as an example.
Speaker 3: Right, so where Bombay was in the sixties, Right, it's where in its growth story. It's it's on day one and in some places day zero, it's only going to grow. So you're already seeing twenty five to thirty percent. Yeah, in micro markets. Now, if I really double clicked on this, right and I gave you micro market data, that CGR goes up to fifty percent, maybe even sixty percent in certain micro markets, but your average is twenty five to thirty percent, And so it makes a great investment. Hey, what I'm not counting on top of that is you're getting a rental yield. So I mean it's just a no brainer.
Speaker 4: Right. People are just like, huh, you know, why am I not doing more of this? Sure? Also with you know, with everything.
Speaker 3: Going on in the markets, right, there is a bit of volatility. You know, people are saying, you know what, and gold is now just run up so much, right, people are saying, look, what's the safe asset but yet you know something I can enjoy use and perhaps not as on fire as gold, And that's ly real estate, right Like, it's a very safe investment with the right brand.
Speaker 4: Uh. And and that's kind of why I'm so bullish on it.
Speaker 2: So since we're talking numbers as a company as well, what are the kind of margins you operate with?
Speaker 4: So look again, where we do a cost plus? We don't kind of uh that.
Speaker 2: I didn't ask you start asking number.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what. I'll tell you what we what we do and what we don't do. We operate our business in a cost plus margin basis.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So what we don't do, right, and this is really important, is we don't speculate. So let's let's say we bought a parcel of land two years ago and for some reason, we launched it two years later. We're not marking to market what we perceive to be the price of land today. We take the cost of our land two years ago. Obviously, you have a holding cost and a financing cost, et cetera. We add that on top, put a fair margin on top of that, and a reasonable and fair margin, and that's how we go to market when we so so so we're very transparent, we're very fair, and that's worked for us, right, not speculating on values, not suddenly saying, hey no, I might have bought it for ten but now it's one hundred. That it's not how you know where you have to do things transparently, do it the right way, and that's how we do it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: In terms of future plans, and you know you've talked about going deeper when it comes to it, brava for Lohanos, you're already global. Are there plans to further go into new cities or you know, how are the expansion plans looking for Lohanos for instance, when you're talking globally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, absolutely, So I know you asked me globally, but let me just quickly give us as let me give you the domestically again, we're very bullish. India is such an amazing country, right, diversity wise, and you know we have so many, so many places. Even went through the Lohono business, I realize I haven't seen and I haven't heard of, right, You're just you're just blown away consistently so. And then of course your market is here, your demand size is here, right, so we will be growing quite rapidly within India. We'll go deeper markets that we exist. We might add on a few more markets, but again the focus will be to go deeper globally. We are already across Southeast Asia. We've just launched Italy Lake Garda, so we will look at growing globally and expanding globally. Uh, these are we we we do it in a sensible way, which will we do it in a very light way where we partner. We we do a really deep vetting process with a partner and then we go deep and allow them to run the day to day while we layer on all.
Speaker 4: The Indian service.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of people are very used to catering to your your your your guests from the west, right. It's a whole different ball game when you're catering to the you know, I'll give you a small anecdotal example in Thailand. If you ask them, hey, is this path high vegetarian, they'll say yes, well, because they won't realize that fish oil is actually not acceptable to an Indian vegetarian. Right to them, if they're vegetarian, you're having It's okay. They are very big things for Indians exactly exactly right.
Speaker 4: They don't know to make a massala cha no matter where in the world, we want a massalacha, right.
Speaker 3: So so you know, we layer on this very luxury Indian service on top of it to make sure our guests are always comfortable and the same. But the day to day, like the housekeeping, all of that we leave to very highly qualified and vetted partners.
Speaker 1: Okay, fantastic, leman.
Speaker 2: It's so wonderful to see a homegrown young Indian entrepreneur and brand making ways globally and also the kind of phenomenal growth that you've seen here, building something that you love from scratch and seeing it really just completely blossom into the thriving company that it is. What a wonderful story. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Abat, thank you for having me. And it's always such a pleasure chatting with you.
Speaker 4: And you know you you.
Speaker 3: You yourself are just such a great success story. So it's a it's an inspiration to.
Speaker 4: Be here with you.
Speaker 1: Look forward to all the exciting things happened.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: M HM