Speaker 1: Fall Camp has come up well reporting sometime this week. We're gonna talk about that and more here on the Sooner or Later Sports Show presented by these people. Here's Coop. I'm Jay. Thanks pulling up here on their YouTube channel and listening where a podcast or download and listen to while you're here. Please wipe your feet like subscribe, rate review, give us five stars. I don't think we deserve it. Dye give us five anyway and gifted. So on today's episode of the Sooner Elator Sports Show, me and Coop got a lot of cool things to dive into, like questions in regards to fall Camp. Everything starts on Wednesday, so we've got we got our questions. We'll talk about Jim Naggy's round of as he has been for real like talking, and we'll wrap things up. We'll talk SEC rankings and take all of your questions like we always do. So let's have ourselves once again a really good time. Coop, Happy Sunday. As our guy read Dirt Sports points out, get in the water. It's time to get in the water. How are you feeling? My man?
Speaker 2: I wish I was in some water right now. It's hot outside. My kid wanted to go. You know, she got a new softball bat and so she wanted to go outside and have that pitch to her a little bit. And man, it is uh, it is hot. It is hot. I would I mean, I have a I have a little ice pack like back here, just behind my back, you know, just just just because I came in just a few minutes ago. So but no, you know, I wish that I had some water to dive into. RDS SA same here. But if you're wondering what heeds, it means, hey, listen, we're gonna make some waves this year. And he is encouraging and I know a lot of people who are pessimistic are encouraging everybody to open your heart for for hurt once again. But man, it's uh, it's it's good because yeah, you said fall camp. I mean it's just it's later this week. Uh, they are going to be reporting and they're gonna get down to business.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I get a lot of people don't understand the concept of quote unquote getting in the water. But at the same time, it you say you wish you had some water today, Let's think about this. It's hot. Wouldn't that be like getting into a hot a hot to baseball in the weather it is.
Speaker 2: Today, It's it's better than sitting in uh, sitting in the backyard with the the what do we got? The six o'clock sun beating down on you and nothing but a bunch of grass and sprinklers just went off to It's nice little humid grass. So but yeah, uh oh, I know, Robert, my the mansion does not have an indoor and outdoor pool. We got a seven year old crazy child and uh, I don't. I wouldn't trust him with a sprinkler right now. So no pull yet, coop line.
Speaker 1: He got a big old pool over there in that massive mansion of a backyard he has, but we won't know about that. What we're gonna jump into is, first off, thank y'all for pulling up hit like buddy duty. Chance subscribe, reate review, give us five. The other thing to point out here, and I love this comment here we have a semi ratio so we can win the Natty in twenty five. Yes, that is true. That is what a lot of a lot of this stuff is measured off of. We're gonna jump into that. But first fall camp does start Wednesday. Players report on Wednesday. So they're probably in town tomorrow today tomorrow, getting the sales acclimated, chilling, probably lifting weights, all that jazz. But fall camp starts, you'll have way in, you'll have all of that stting down. And there's a lot of question that we all have for Oklahoma. There's there's a course we're not gonna be We're not gonna lie to you and say there's no concerns, because you knows, be real, there's always concerns out there. But the other question is outside of the quote unquote concerns, Coop, we need to ask ourselves what what's real that we should be asking about for this team going forward. So I'm looking at this, Coop, and I have my first ques question and were coming into fall camp. I want to talk defensive line. Who do you think pulls up in that bad boy? Over three one hundred pounds? Yeah, Coop, turn your volume up a little bit.
Speaker 2: I might just have to talk louder. I was not talking very loud. So there we go. If you can hear me. Now, over three hundred pounds, I mean I think you're in Jackson. Come in over three hundred. I think you're gonna have dom Williams come in right around that action. David Stone, we've already heard, We've heard a couple of different numbers, is hovering right around the three ten range. So you've got him in there. I would say, ge, baby is going to be just slightly under and man, let's see here. I would I would say that that is, you know, as far as like the d tackles, I mean, the guys that I'm you know, probably feeling pretty good. I know Nigel is approaching. I think he's approaching the two ninety to eighty five.
Speaker 1: The late his way in, he's about two ninety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's getting up there. I feel like there's somebody I'm forgetting here. Who do you? Who do you think here? Because my brain, my brain shut down. It's it's overheated. Yeah, he was outside three cents.
Speaker 1: Doing the Lord's work in this heat. You know that's not something I just make as it hot outside. No, I'm looking at I'm looking, of course on the three hundred pound mark on the interior. So we know Stone, we know Trent Wilson is over three hundred. We know that at Ace, Hodge, Dom, David Rewaye, Jade and Jackson as well as Ricky Lolohea are all over the three hundred pound threshold. The ones you have left Grayson Halton too ninety two, Jacob Henry two ninety five, Nigel Smith at two ninety those are the ones that we're waiting for. And I think Jacob Henry comes in over that mark. I think so, And I think Grayson Halton scratches it. I don't think he actually comes in at three hundred. I think he stays in the two ninety ish range with his with his capabilities case Strong's probably the one I think that actually surpasses three. Well, he was three oh three in the spring, but he was down on like two ninety seven when they did the most recent roster on the site. So I'm thinking he probably goes right back over three hundred and maintains that.
Speaker 2: Yes, the I mean, that's why there's a lot of people. There's there's a lot of names right there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's I remember circling back like two years ago, going into year two, talking about how we decided that there were more than just like five or six different defensive players on the whole side of the ball that we were excited to you know that could you know go out there and not be a liability. Now, this defensive tackle, you know, especially the defensive tackles, I mean that's why a lot of people have them, as you know, maybe the best defensive line in the SEC or maybe even the country is because of the depth. It's because you're rolling in quite a few guys. You know, there's a lot a lot of excitement around Stone. But you know, the the guys answered the bell last year with a lot of people like Nick Saban saying, you know, don't know if they could hold up in the SEC. Well, they obviously did hold up in the SEC that you know that came in there, and you know with the deficient defensive efficiency numbers top fifteen in the country, and so it is going to be Now I'm I myself am not super worried about the defensive tackles. I think up the middle we look gravy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of big move fools into it. The biggest thing is a lot of big move fools. We've got the size that we needed, and this size that we have here is I mean, it's it. It reminds me a lot of what we had coming out, what what BV had at Clemson. Yeah, this is the size of the players that he had as he built upon things and at something, he got to where this is what he wanted, big boys. So, like you said, first year and Bates talked about it. I remember going into year two. Year one they only had like one maybe two people over three hundred there, and then year two they had like seven, seven or eight. And the year three we had roughly I think three when the season started and then increased to like four or five by the season went. But this year we've got all but like three players on the devisive line sold. We've got what's this not the sum undeath the total. We got eleven players. Eight of them are over three hundred easily. That's a massive improved you want in the interior that you won, and then you've got with this one, two, three, four, four dudes for three ten. That's what you need in order to exist in the h or survive the sec if anything, right, to be able to stop the runs and everything. So yeah, I'm pretty excited about size. All right, what's the next coup?
Speaker 2: I mean, the defensive ends. This is the point where I think the defensive tackles are undoubtedly going to be great playmakers, and I think that they are going to be able to hold up. You're going to be able to rotate guys in. So you know, now I think that it's Bates to be able to have those conversations with, you know, with his guys. You know, what's the rotation look like? How long do you let, you know, a Don Williams sit out there? How long do you let a David Stone, a Jaden Jackson. Jayden's going to be coming back from the shoulder clean up, so you know he's probably going to, you know, need a little bit more time to get that strength back in and that punch back in. So you know, that's that's that's why he makes the good money that he makes. But the defensive ends are where you know, the defensive statistics can take leaps and bounds and push you from top twenty five in the country to top twenty to top fifteen. Is thesive line and so the edges, you know, we saw ar Mason Thomas last year really show up in some really really great moments, some big moments. We saw him not only put chaos in the backfield but absolutely take over multiple games. J and I want to see what can we get on the other side, because God bless Ethan Downs. That guy was just reliable. You knew who he was, who knew what he was, and he was that in and out day in day out. So now who takes the mantle on the other side, and can you develop a very very consistent pass rush Robert put it in here, Taylor Wine, you know, coming in right in the two seventy two seventy five range. Also run also, I believe six or skyvish, so you add some size on that side. Pj at Abare, Danny Akoye. You got a lot of tools to work with on the outside. If this defensive line really wants to go from hey they're very good to this is an elite and the best one in the country. You got to have the multifaceted capabilities from the outside to not only hold the edge and stop the run, but then also to put pressure on the quarterback. You know, when you run four in, you know, when you're only taking you know, only sending four in that way, you can you know, really really, you know, keep the coverage up. So that's one thing that that's a question that I have going in a fall camp because our mason I know kind of what we expect out of him. He told us in the SEC media days he puts some extra weight in because he wanted to be better at the run. What does the other side happen? Because we've been waiting for PJ. You know, he's a five star guy. Taylor Wyane is the up and comer. He's the guy that I I really want a lot of people to keep an eye on him. Danny Akoye, he's a freak of nature. How how can he get in there and mix stuff up? And if this defense really wants to take a step and be, you know, feared, it's going to be because that defensive end.
Speaker 1: So the next question we have on here is gonna go towards the offensive line. For me, is who steps up and takes that left tackle spot. We know that there are plenty of options on the offensive line for that from Jacob's session to Logan Howland, Michael Fassousi. That left tackle spot is gonna be the most coveted position here on this team. So I'm curious who's the one that's going to jump out. That's we have an idea what the offensive line is going to look like, But that left tackle spot to me is probably the one that has those questions going into fall camp. You look at it or am I wrong?
Speaker 2: You are absolutely right. Going into last year, there were a lot of concerns are quite not concerns, but questions about the offensive side of the ball. But it all started with the offensive line. And this year, we don't have a Philadelphia State you know, week two to you know, to roll in on. You got Michigan that comes to town, and so you're going to have to have a a group that is you know, obviously they're still gonna be putting some things together. But I think the thing that we can rely on, what's what's the stuff that we can rely on. We don't know what this offensive line is going to look like, but we can rly on that. Number One, You've got experience going in last year, Jay, you brought it up, there's a lot of there was, you know, a lot of guys who had potential, but there wasn't a lot of snaps. Now you have a lot of snaps. You said it. You know with Jacob Sexton, this is a guy who you know, going into that Florida State game, everybody was really excited about what he was going to be for the future, and injuries and you know, just rotational issues have really created you know, kind of a pause on his development. So can he take that spot and become that next guy? Logan Howland does the shoulder surgery that he had. Now that he's back in action, how is you know, what is he going to do? Is he going to go out and go no, no, no. I held this down at the end of the season. We showed improvement. This is who I am. And then can they keep Fasousi off the field? You know, I think I set in our discord what's the average snaps that he has per game at you know, twenty and a half because you have an investment in Fasusi, you know what he has got the capability of becoming. And so the offensive line is going to dictate what the ceiling is for this team. I think that that is that I mean, I think that's where you have to start Jay as the offensive line and if they can come together and if you can put together five guys who who can do what they want to do and accomplish the goals that they have in front of them, this team has. This team's limit is is sky high.
Speaker 1: And I think that when you look at the left side, because I think the right is for the most part established. I think Derek Simmons ends up winning that job. You don't bring him in and him practice the way rumor has it that he practiced. He doesn't really take that position. But you're right. The question truly is how long before you see Fasusi and Foje on the field. Like I said, there's no shade against any other players that we currently have the team. We know that those two are were very highly coveted players that should do something to push themselves into more rotation. And when I look at the left spot, it's tough. Sexton, unfortunately for him, was basically in and out between left tackle and left go our last season, so you didn't really get to see which one he was his strongest at. And remember in twenty three he didn't play until late in the season and he basically played what right tackle for Tyler Geiton because Sex and Tours acl at the Florida State and the Cheeze At Bowl like before the game started, so you didn't even got to see what Sexton really is as he's moved around so much. So that question is, I mean, I think the one game. You know, you know he played fully in that Bama game. You got a glimpse, you got an idea of Okay, so this is what it's supposed to look like when he's had his healthiest But you don't know yet, Like you don't know now, Logan Howland had his initial moments of eh, but then he gave you some good stuff as the season progressed. It progressed. Same thing with Jay. But and size wise, when I looked at them, they're all in very good way. Like Sexton's still at the three thirty range and he's still got good mobility and movement. Jake Taylor's at three thirteen, so he's put on a lot of weight. Logan Howland's three twenty two, so he's put on a lot of weight as well. Susie comes in three on nine. That was strong, and you've seen good stuff. So yeah, we got to see what it looks like going forward. But you also remember, though Foge and for Susie are true freshmen, like that's not it's not common for true freshmen to just walk out there and get on the field immediately. Regardless of how good they are, there's always growing pains I mean, Cayden Proctor is considered what the top offensive lineman in the country. His true freshman year was not very good. Look at it. He had a lot of moments where that were not the best. He started and he's a good I mean, he's a good true freshman overall, but the start of the season it was not the best. And you know, he was targeted mainly because he's a freshman. And if you know me, you know I tap about this often. I don't like true freshman starting at the beginning of the year. Mid season, I'm cool with it. Beginning, I have more concerns because freshmen are gonna do freshman things. They're young, They're gonna make mistakes, and a lot of those times you don't want them to make live mistakes, especially a good against good talent. That Michigan game would scare me for a true freshmen, just because I know that that defensive line would completely focus their attention on them. That doesn't mean that they won't hold up, but man, that still terrifies me. I don't care what anybody says.
Speaker 2: And I want to go back because you you were talking about Sexton and you know in that Old miss game when Sexton was in there. He got hurt right before halftime. We were controlling things on the offensive line pretty well, and then that's when Hallan came in and started telegraphing his his drop and they ate the boy up. So I mean, like you said, you know, I think that's you know, speaking to somebody here. You know, we were talking to somebody a couple of weeks ago and they said, you know, really there's one spot that is pretty much you know, set in stone at this point or locked up, you know, on the on the offensive line, and you've got a lot of great opportunities for guys like Jake Sexton, Jake Taylor. Jake Taylor looks like he is pissed and he all the stuff, and he was, you know, frustrated with the injuries. When it all breaks down, I'm gonna take a Missouri Uh. You know, mentality with this offensive line. We have heard that they took it, they took it, took it to heart. You hear these things, you know, NFL, college football, basketball, everything. You hear these things all the time. You know, we we we had a bad year. We come together. Uh, you know, they they've we've heard in the off season the offensive line have been in working together as a group, you know, reading the film, taking, you know, steing film together, working together. You've seen the recent pictures. Jake Taylor looks like he uh he got the hook up with the Royd connection. Uh dude, just like a monster. But I'm gonna take the Missouri state of mind. It's it's the show me state and we have to see it. We have to see did all that stuff? What does that amount to? Because if you've been watching film together and you've been working your butt off and you're much much bigger, but you still play like ass, it's not good enough. And you don't want for Susie to be out there out of necessity. You want to you want for him to take a spot, you know, somewhere mid season because he took it from somebody, not because it defaulted and fell into his lap. Because if a Susie is out there, it either means that he is light years above Sexton and Hollan and guys like you know, Autry Denton, guys like who have already been in Rahm for a couple of years, or that they fell off and he was just the next option. But I do wonder what happens, and I think it may have been Gabe and Teddy may have been sooner Scoop. You know, during the summer, I don't listen to a lot of the pods, but uh, while mowing, I plowed through several of them and caught up the other day. But if Sexton, you know, did get unseated because of great play by Fasousi, I think that whoever is right next to Fasusi, it's going to have to be somebody with a lot of experience, because you want some experience sitting next to him. So could that mean a guy? Could that mean a guy slides over there into the to the left that left guard spot like Fabichi wee wu, and you know, maybe an epl on the right guard some spot like you. Those things are going to come around. And Bill being bo likes the tinker and and so the offensive line I still say, Jay is we're hearing all the stuff. Now show us because that's t and God, just you know, sacrifice the live chicken, a giraffe, you know, whatever we need to do to make sure that we keep the injury bug away.
Speaker 1: That's a good question in there. If they decide to put Fasusi in at left tackle. What experienced person would end up at guard because you know, expectations right now is that EPL takes the left guard spot as we wait to see how healthy heath o Zaida is because he had to have that clean up procedure as well. So that's an interesting one. I wonder how that would be handled and if you would move mean you technically could probably move Weaiwoo over to the left, or you put Ozeida there, put EPL on right and just have waywou be your swing and consistently kind of you know, every so often, give him a break and allow him to go out. That is that's an intriguing thought. I didn't think about it that way, doesn't consider Okay, next question I have is going into fall, who's going to be your first your your two outside wide receivers going into week one and week two. I know BV talked about Giovanni being out of the boot and on pace when it comes to playing. I guess he's on track four potentially showing up at beginning of the season. He never said which game, though I know that he mentioned before that he thought that both the Gibson boys would be ready week one but I don't expect them to make either one of them play anything before Temple if I want to be one hundred percent honest. But the question is who's gonna end up being your outside players in week one? To me, I'm still thinking Lewis and Kearney are your two guys that you go with, bigger size wires, both fast and now we get to see Zk's we're oute running capabilities, how much has he grown? But you'll still have Luckily Burks and Satania in the slot to get stuff done, which I loved hearing. I think Ben said that about Satania that he's the one player that if you want something done right, you have Satanna go out there and do it. So question is who do you think who will be emerged through fall camp? As you're outside wide receivers.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to probably say the same as you. I heard the date that Givanni got out of the boot July first, and you know you look at four to six weeks. Four weeks is tomorrow, so that's where you get a chance to start do some work. So how long does it take for him to get out there, go through the post treatments and stuff like that. So, you know, with Illinois State being weak one, and you know we start off the show talking about hot, I will say, start hydrating now for week one because it is going to be hot as quart Ale is going to be bad. Get you some bagmen, some bagman water. I think that that's gonna be Yeah, may J take a drink just talking about it. But I hear, I hear, like you know, zon Kearny is one of my favorite recruits over the past couple of years, and it's it's hot. You know, I would almost say, you know, obviously, like a running back, if you're a running back running through the hole and you have to stiff arm somebody, your your whole bag of tricks after that point are kind of limited because you don't have the full freedom of full range of movement. And I think that the last kind of how this game was played is you know, there wasn't a lot of time to do go out and do stuff and then come back to the sideline and you know, get coaching, because they had to be back out on the sideline, back out on the field. You had to have that help happened. And so yeah, you know, I think that I like your two selections whoever it is, Jane inside outside. As far as wide receivers, here's the one thing that I say, make the play in front of you and then go to the next play. It is one play at a time, whether they're blocking assignment, whether it's a route. Too many times last year we saw guys you know, break the wrong wrong way inside when they're supposed to go outside, outside when they gore supposed to be inside. You know, a a three yard dig instead of a six yard dig. You know, there was a lot of that stuff, and I think that uh, you know, kind of just going back to the why the offensive line so important is the same thing with the stiff you know scenario is if the offensive line holds up and is able to you know, give great protection the wide receivers and Materier, they're gonna find openings and you got to make the play in front of you. Because I do think that we have bye bye bye seasons in You're going to have eight to nine guys that are going to be able to run out there at wide receiver with good experience, and so you're you're going to slowly get the health back. You know, Michigan's going to have a good defense and they're you know though they lost to first round. You know, defensiveman, there's going to be some quick stuff. So what do you do? Can you run the routes on the outside or even on the sling because you know, watching Matier and watching some of the you know, some of the film from his highlights from last year, you know, they kind of had a fall off and the Wyoming game was what it was. But you know they lost three three of their last games because two of the two of those games they were also in you know, scoring at forty and Matier will find you and he does not give up. He will continue to you. As a wide receiver need to absolutely, absolutely absolutely just get yourself available and you know, when the ball comes your direct do what you need to do with it. Live to play another down, don't you know, don't be out of the don't go above and beyond yourself, because that's uh. You know, when we did five success on offense last year, Jay, we gave the ball right up. You know, Jackson had nine fumbles. I feel like Taylor Tatum had five or six fumbles. There were fumbles galore. When we finally got some momentum going and So these A wide receivers. You know, I have it written down right here. Make the play in front of you. That's it. That's all you got to worry about.
Speaker 1: Last question from foul camp. You want this one coup. We want me to throw another one out there.
Speaker 2: Defensive back Jay And I don't know if you agree with me on this one. And I'm just going to say, on the corners, we got to get healthy. Can can these guys be healthy? Gentry? This is a this is a first round all SEC type of talent that you have in Gentry. If he is able to go out and give us that and bowen after his uh you know his you know, deals with his ankle, he comes back and he's ready to go. Those are your Those your two starters. And with that being said, I think that those could be two of the best defensive backs in the SEC. And that's that's that's I didn't say the best to a best And because SEC has lots of defensive back talent and I don't know how you know, there's not a there's not a massive group of you know, superstar receivers in the SEC. You've got some of the higher ends like the Ryan Williams that Cam Coleman's You've got some of the young guys at Texas. You're you're going to have guys who are going to be able to make plays at wide rister and so you've got to be able to have the defensive backs hold in and whether it is you know, in a press coverage situation, whether it is in coverage. The good news is is I think the defensive line is going to give you a lot of help and there's gonna have to be a lot of quick reads. So you want to keep those those guys out of the out of that realm toward they're covering guys for seven, eight, nine, ten seconds. You got to get the pressure on them. Also, you know, when we do head into the zone coverage, we're gonna the every single one of these corners are going to be faster than what we're thrown out there. Last year with Woody Washington and Malone, those guys were running four seven, four eights. These guys are all faster. So how do you you know, play your quarters, play your section, play your territory in the zone of the zone coverage because I think going back with the defensive edge, if you've got the d tackles, the edge guys and the defensive backs. All you know, at the top end of the league, you gotta recipe for a really, really salty defense.
Speaker 1: Health is the critical question there, corner Spot Gentry. It sounds like, of course, he, like you said, he sounds like he's healthy. If he shows up healthy, you're good. Eli Bowen still dealing with ankle stuff, it sounds like if he shows up with you know enough, I think you're fine for me. If Eli is still dealing with said problem, you really don't need him until probably SEC play. And I say that because and this is honestly the only question slash concern of in the secondary. Michigan's gonna be a physical game of just tackling because they're gonna run the ball like crazy. I saw one of the reports out there. Actually think you know about Michigan. I don't know who the starting quarterback is yet, which granted, I get it's gonna take time to figure that out. Underwood's a true freshman. If you've just heard me about fifteen minutes ago say this, I not big on starting true freshmen for particular reasons and being the same game of the season. That's a tough game. To have your guy play in a very tough environment at the beginning of within your first two games, that makes me nervous. If I was that was us, I'd be nervous as regardless of how good I think a player is as a true freshman, I would not like a true freshman playing. But I digress. For me, it's do you want to play gentry in a game it's gonna be a just a tuckling. Would you prefer somebody else to play in that game? That would be the alternate question. I'd have to what you asked, because that is a question because I feel like Michigan's gonna be all tackling. It's gonna be us hitting someone constantly. It's gonna be less of us. It's less of us really playing and coverage, more of us coming down heill and stopping a running back going up the middle. Because they're gonna try to bully and push us around. No different than they did against Alabama the two bowl games they played against them, No different than you know they did it against Oht date against him beginning. They're gonna just try to bully you. I'm wondering what does that look like going forward? Especially for the secondary.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'll wrap it up and say this is you've got guys like Jacoby Johnson who are bigger bodies. Jacoby was you know, had a lot of snaps last year and he did a lot of great stuff. And then you know, we got so bad in the wide receiver a situation that with him over on that side of the ball, Jeremiah Nwcomb hearing a lot of great things over the summer for Nukeomb And you know, again that's another corner that you can throw out there. I see you in there that people are already talking about. Kiddle Dolby, Kindle. Dolby does great job in covering slot receivers. And I don't know if they're going to put him on the outside per se, but Dolby ain't going to be no slack. Yeah, well, he likes to hit people. He does, he does, and you know obviously that's how he got was digging in and he was up in the middle of a pile about seven guys and got rolled rolled up on. So I think that you've got a a lot of great options. And we're at a spot and I was listening to one of the pods and they broke off in mid sentence and they were like, you know, we're so used to not having so many different guys that can go out there and do things at a high level. And that's where this defense is. You know, this is you've got three years under BV. You've got a new crop of guys out there, and to have a lot of the defensive backs, it's not for lack of talent, it's how do you go Because I don't think that we're looking for the defensive backs to go from bad to good. We're looking for them to go from good to great. And I think that that is that's that's where we're going to see a lot this year and a great stat here Georgia one the SEC and finish eighty ninth. We know that, we know that BV is not afraid to to march, you know, let the guys you know, march in and out and you know, stop them down in the gold line and in the red zone. I just want to I just want to see some good stuff from those defensive backs. You hold those big receivers like a Ryan Williams. You know, we saw what Eli did to him last year. And now, granted I think that the quarterback was shook, and he didn't he didn't really want to mess around and throw the in it, throw anything. And once you get to get a quarterback shook, you know it. As a wide receiver, it's hard because you don't know if the guy is going to be running or if he's going to toss the rock. So we got options. That's it. And like I said, you know, if you are out there wondering what's the team's going to be looked like, be looking like. I don't think that we're hoping that the defensive backs are going to be good. I think we're going to see can they be great?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where we're at there. So it's a good point. Well questions. We'll keep talking about foul camp here over the next few days. We'll by that of course, probably during the week. May do something on Wednesday, since it's the first day at camp. You see interviews coming out. I'm correct, the the media gets an opportunity to talk to everybody after that, so keep your eyes open. We'll probably plan something to go live all Wednesday. But thank you for pulling up, hit the like button. New to the channel, subscribe rate review, give us five coop Jim Naggi has been doing a press tour basically even more since sec ME. He was on the Darry Nooka show over on k raf Maan. She checked that out. Darry's awesome. I got to interview him as well. He's chopping up with him for a bit. He is dope. Naggi went on there recently and kind of expanded even more on the things that he that we've been talking about in regards to what their game plan is when it comes to recruiting and all of that stuff. He's gone and interviews. He had to meet with Naggi. What was that on Thursday night? Sad that I was on a plane from Oregon coming back so I didn't get to go. I wanted to go, but you know, work called. But that was one that you got even more out of. Is there anything that jumped out to you when you saw and heard Naggy talking with all of those outlets as of Lake.
Speaker 2: It's not lip service, and I mean I think that that is the ten thousand you know foot view. It's not it's not lip service. I mean he has a plan, is a plan that the coaching staff agrees on. You know, he made the point to go out and say, listen, these guys don't have to go out and coach an SEC football team and dig through hours and hours and hours of film. You know, whether it's a grad student, whether it is a you know, an assistant coach, whether it's you know, ja Veli himself, these guys aren't having to go through and dig all these out trying to figure out and you know, what what what what is going on? And you know that's why him and his staff I did you know we're hired into this position. Yeah, these guys.
Speaker 1: I think that's the one thing I like the most about this. The way the hiring went, and Maggie pointed that out was we're not we're taking a lot of the work off of the coaching staff's play so they can focus on coaching, which I think as fans, I should appreciate that, right right, One less thing for your coaching staff to have to do is grind tape of high schoolers while at the same time grinding tape of the opposing teams that they prepare for in the season. Having what's that six peep seven people in staff basically do majority of that and line this up based upon what they know the coaching staff likes, or just good players that are good enough. I think that's a great thing.
Speaker 2: Right I do you really want to be watching Bartlesville Ver's doing, you know, and Bartlesviller's my alma mater, celebrated a twenty fifth reunion. I did not go, but that's a that was last night. So I mean, but you don't want to be digging into that going is there somebody there that we can look at? Because I don't know if everybody here knows this, but anytime that you're a football coach and you feel like you got a stud, you're you're reaching out to schools. You're reaching out to Oklahoma State, You're reaching out to Tulsa, You're reaching out to Kansas, You're reaching out to Oklahoma and saying, hey, when you come this way, you need to come through here and take a look at this guy, because I mean, he's just an absolute stud. And to that coach, that may be extremely accurate, But I'm just saying, like I said, if you, if you, if you're Miguel Chavs and you're digging in and you're seeing that you know school A in you know two A Texas or two A Kansas or two A Maryland has this dude who's you know, six foot four, two hundred and ten pounds, and he is just wrecking shop and then you look at him and you're like, yeah, you know it's hard to you know, to go well, let me go ahead and plan a trip up to Maryland just to go see maybe if this guy is somebody. And so now Naggi and that's in the Jay. Has Naggi developed, you know, not not developed, but has Naggy uncovered talent in multiple different arenas in his career? Yes, you know, he.
Speaker 1: Was questionable, kidding, kidding.
Speaker 2: He was the guy who was finding folks to come to the Senior Bowl that teams would want to see. He was hooking the the NFL franchises up with the guy from Western Carolina, the guy from Appalachian State, the guy from you know, a Juco. You know, he was go find those because he's looking for the elite traits. And I think that that's one of the big things that he says is, hey, listen, Keyboard Warriors Online, I love you all, and I'm here to make this place better. But without saying it, like I know what I'm talking about, and you have great opinions.
Speaker 1: I like that way that he kind of he really threw out there the hey, this is why we have a massive staff of people watching film to grind it. And of course he continuously reminded everybody and I think this is kind of what I want to tell everybody here today. He kept reminding everybody that everything he said had nothing to do with him determining if he's gonna have to five stars or not. What he did say, and he said this actually too. He recently said that the last regime did not have very good luck with five stars. You know, some of our favorite players have been three stars so far. But but more so, what he wanted to point out to everybody has been you're gonna have to have a mix like every recruiting class that we've ever seen. Now he's got threes, fours, and fives right now. Our blue chip ratio is that's seventy percent. And this is why I wanted to point this out. The twenty twenty six class, this class, which won't sign until December, officially in February, won't see the won't be on campus until sometime in twenty twenty six, which means in two years, three years. Technically from today, which will be twenty twenty eight, they'll be red shirt, freshman or true so that's probably when you're most likely going to get them to be effective on this roster. So what everybody's doing right now is freaking out about this twenty twenty six class, which has fifteen commits so far. They're freaking out about twenty twenty eight. The today's team is built off of top ten recruiting class twenty two, twenty three, and twenty four. Y'ah do realize that right The team that we're playing this year with this year and next year are built off of those top ten classes. I understand that you want to see the full force two. But the other thing is is that with the instability of college football today, we're still waiting to see what things are gonna getting forced or not. Believe me, they've got a list of kids, and Naggi even said this in the interview I had with them. He said that during me a week he said that on Tuesday they're re implementing and redoing their big board. They have the coloring system, and he mentioned it in another interview. They have like blue for your top players, which I think is blue chips and then other colors for other players to keep their eyes on it that they work with the staff on the staff identifies somebody, they talk about it to add them to the list, and they do evaluations and figure out the risk reward of going after that includes fives, fours, threes, twos, ones, blue zeros. They also coop have a list of players that are going to go after during this year that they feel like a flip candidates. So do not be surprised if you hear about Oklahoma trying to flip kids all season long, because the one thing that makes recruiting easier is winning games. As Georgia, when when Saban was at Bama and started coming up, guess what they used to get. They used to get kids on the Sabans count. Kids would take less to go play for Nick Saban because Bama did not have a robust in il at the time. I remember Saban losing his mind and these recordings always came out Saban quote unquote begging for money, But it was more so Saban reminding the stat reminding the boosters that hey, you wants to keep getting these top kids, y'all gonna have to come in here. And him making them publicly, putting them out there publicly, which helped Saban's case. It made those boosters have to look retro actively into this and looking look into themselves, look in the mirror, and say, yeah, we have to figure something out. Oklahoma's done something similar, which our nil is actually pretty good. We just don't spin just to spin. They try to be smart about it, which is how you win. Players like Michael Fasousi and Ryan Foget, Remember you know they were top players in there. You've got others going back in the other classes. I always have to try to remind everybody of this. Cooks like people forget that we did get top players and we still have a seventy percent blue chip ratio, but we're also going to be living in the transfer portal too. Let's how you get a jay and Ott who's considered quite frankly, it's kind of if you want to see something surprising. When you saw the all SEC teams come out and Jayden Ott was the number two running back in the SEC, transferring from cal a inferior conference, everybody thinks media wise that he's going to be one of the best running backs in the SEC. That should tell you enough, right, and you know he was a four star out of Chino, California, so he was a good player. We'll do that as well. We'll go after those particular mercenary positions, which I think are running back and wide receiver. That will help. So Coop, I liked that he's been doubling and tripling down on his philosophy, especially because in his explanation, granted we only got fifteen players, he's pointing out specifically we got into this downstream. It didn't start till March. We're downstream in twenty six because signing day is going to be December. We've got to ramp things up. But that's what we're doing. So give us the time to do it, especially because I think Lake Dawson was hired what in June? Yeah, yeah, I think he was hired in June.
Speaker 2: You got it. And you don't just hop in, you just stump in and start these relationships unless it's just absolute. Hey, here's a mask nil check. But these relationships, you know, were started when these kids were sophomores, when these kids, uh you know, were entering in their junior year. And I you know, I will say this is don't don't be surprised if you see guys like you know, Bo Bentley, the Jandreau kids, uh Roux or you don't like watch these guys. These guys are going to actually rise a little bit too. And when you start seeing them putting these elite traits out on the you know, on the football field their senior season, and they're they're gonna they're gonna rise. These things are going to happen. You know Bo Bentley, No, not very many people who knew bou Bentley was before last year. Nope. You do a lot of winning and all of a sudden your name gets a little bit more shining, and uh, you can't look at you know, the Jandrea kids and be like, I don't think these guys are gonna amount to much. They're just three stars. Like these are the guys that you're going to look in here in a couple of years and you're like, do they got another brother that they that we can we can get in here? All right, there's a lot of there's a lot of guys to Corey Smith's another one of those guys that I think is going to be an absolute stud who's going to rise. You know, Derrick Johnson. Dude comes from absolute phenomenal pedigree. Dad play the NFL, you know he was. He's a stud too. Just watch you know, these guys are going to have some rising And then I saw, but I do I you know, I think from a fan perspective, if we don't have a great year, and we had a great recruiting class, right now, it's all gone. But if you go out and you throw a good year, which is what the coaching staff is, they go out and they're expecting a really, really great year. But all these conversations where guys maybe they weren't one hundred percent sure and going, you know, diving deep on. Now they got senior film and there's going to be several guys who are going to have the opportunity to make a second thought about Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lake Dawson was hired June around June fit so the beginning of June. So that's one of the last set of pieces you do to add to your staff. Has been roughly we're about to go in two months, so yeah, it's gonna take some time. Things are gonna look rough right now. And that's okay. We still got to December, folks, keep in mind when it comes to how this recruiting stuff is gonna progress. Thank you out for pulling up. Hit the like button if you need to, the chancel, subscribe if you're listening, rate review us, give us five Coop, I've got some additional questions. We're gonna wrap things up with this. I wanna talk SCC ball and I did not tell Coop what I was going to ask him because I did not want him to be too prepared. I wanted this to come off the top of his head because I want us to have a nice discussion. And then we're gonna pull these questions. I got a bunch of questions start and we're gonna, uh, we're gonna jump in and talk about First off, let's ask this question here, Coop. The SEC last season had five teams finish with double digits. Last year WGIt Wins Texas, George, Tennessee, oh miss Missouri five. If it is the same this year, that there will be five teams that will win ten games this year. Who do you think are the five teams that will win ten games this year?
Speaker 2: Oh man? I can say that Tennessee and Missouri are probab not going to be in that crew this year. I would uh, I would say I feel good about Bamah, I think Bama is going to Yeah, I feel good about Bama. I myself a Pictou at ten and two, so I'm gonna throw Oklahoma in there. I would say I think Texas. I think Texas has a year to where they're going to be right in that area. I would not be surprised if as a nine and three finish LSU. So is that five Bama, Georgia, OU, LSU, potentially.
Speaker 1: Texas hmm okay.
Speaker 2: But I will say this, Jay, I would say that it is more likely that we have a log jam than a bunch of teams with ten wins.
Speaker 1: The point because looking at it, you had three team that went nine and four Bama, LSU, South Carolina, and then you had two teams go eight five with A and M and Florida. So it's a good point. If I was to pick five teams that I think could win ten games this season, I'm in a similar boat as you. The bigger issue is some of these teams schedules really makes it easy for the point like Missouri's. It is literally lined up perfectly for them to win ten games with them, I think they don't have a road game. They play all home games up until like mid October. I think it's like, yeah, mid to late October is let me go pull up my handy dandy SEC schedule sheet. Missouri has a home game every week up until they play Auburn on the eighteenth. Then they got Auburn and Vanderbilt on the road, and then they wrap the season up on the road against Oklahoma and Arkansas. So four actual road games that could mean that they could honestly win ten games. That they could win at least four games in conference. Question is can they win four games in conference with Arkansas, Mississippi State, Texas, A and M, Vanderbilt, Auburn, and Alabama. I don't think that they hit ten wins this year either. I actually think that Kansas pop knocks them off because I think Jalen Daniels actually plays that team actually plays better than they're supposed to think that that's probably what it's going to be tough. But if I was to pick five teams, I am with you. I think Bama gets ten. I do think LSU gets ten. I'm on the fence that there's a very good chance that South Carolina ends up with ten. There's a very good chance that Georgia still wins ten, and there's a very good chance that it's Texas or Oklahoma that also wins ten. So if I'm gonna pick them, I'm gonna say Alabama l s U. I think South Carolina ends up doing it. I think Oklahoma does it as well, and I think Texas as of right now gets the other ten wins.
Speaker 2: Here's let me let me let me say this. I think by week five we will know who Alabama is. Yep. Because Jane, if you don't know, if you realize this week, one very very hot day down in Tallahassee, they go to Florida State.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be a fun game. I don't care nobody say it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be a It's gonna be a thick game. And I know that Florida is an sec special. To quote Kurt Signetti with a in the words of the Rock, shut your mouth and know your damn role. Yea, you you played, you played, uh, the one of the weakest. I don't want to hear crap from him anyway. So you got out Florida State, Louisiana, Monroe, Wisconsin at home at Georgia. Those are their first four games. Well, you get Grubs back as the O C, and I will say that they were tied last year. You couldn't come in and it would almost be like Lincoln Riley coming into Oklahoma and having you know, Jalen Hurts as his quarterback year one. It's it's all the stuff you like to do. It kind of off the table. So I you know, so I think that whoever comes out as their quarter right now, I'm guessing uh and uh our boy here sharp shooters, but he is in in the chat. Let us know what you think, because right now, I mean, I guess if the season starts today, it looks like ty Simpson yep.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's a smart pick. He's a former five star. He was number twenty five in the country. He was the number two quarterback in his class. Yeah, Ty Simpson's most likely going to be your starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: But Alabama gets those four going, then they got Vandy and Home, and I have a feeling that they may be a little upset with what happened last year. So I think that Vanderbilt may get their brains beat in that game, especially coming off at Georgia you got Vandy at Missouri, Tennessee at home at South Carolina, LSU at home, Oklahoma at home, you get the cupcake. Eastern illanois Auburn. So I think that they better do some really really good stuff to get some going in that first four we'll know who they are. And then I want to point out South Carolina because South Carolina kind of the same situation except for the middle of their schedule is an absolute beast. They got Kentucky at home at LSU, at Oklahoma at home, Alabama at home at Ole, Miss at Texas A and M. And the end of the season with Clemson.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So they you got some teams in here that the schedule looks a little a little tricksy, And I think that that's one of the big things that where I like our schedule is I like how the games are set up. You know, with us going uh. You know Texas has to go to the swamp the week before coming to coming to see us in UH in the Red River. That that that's going to be a tough game at the Swamp. No matter what Florida ends up being this, I think that that's just tough going down there. They're going to be absolutely riotous. So so jay I, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia has a you know, has a year to where they kind of stepped back and you heard Gave and Teddy two weeks in a row. They said, you get kind of the You get either either Kirby Smart is uh is playing possum or he's trying to prep people for Hey, guys, we got a lot of young folks on this team. Now they're all five stars and they all drive fast. But that was a jab of Georgian just in case you didn't catch that one. But how does this thing start happening? Because if you don't have all that age and all that experience to kind of lean back into, if you're Kirby Smart, if something starts going sideways, do people start yelling at Kirby Smart for maybe it's time for you to hit the road, jack, because that's what they did to Mark rickt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fans are ridiculous. So of course there's already fans saying that that Kirby Smart no longer basketball. Hell, there were fans that were saying that Nick Saban didn't have his fastball anymore. Before you even retired, then you go went out. I think he won a Natty that year when really was all over him. And I mean, you know, it is what it is. Fans are gonna be ridiculous, but you're right. There's gonna be some voices. It's gonna be some louder voices in the back about Kirby Smart not having this team at ten wins and yeah, Gave and Teddy talked about it on the pod at Kirby's sounds like and this is kind of what and Chuck pointed it out. Kirby sounds like he doesn't sound feel like his team's gonna be as strong and or of a you know, you gotta see what you get at Gunner Stockton. You know, the Carson Beck experiment was solid, but it didn't end up being the way that they wanted it to go. And now you're waiting to see what what does Gunner give you this year? Like you don't have the big five star arm like you're usually traditionally have there at Georgia that everybody realizes is probably is as good as you want. And then you have the walk on guy. It walks up and takes over. We ain't seek that when don't we have that, But we'll see what Gunna stock then looks like. And I get where Kirby is on that. So I honestly think that they may with nine wins this year. They's still gonna be strong on defense. There's still gonna be a threat. There's not much for me to look at them and say that they're not gonna be great. But I don't think Old Miss gets to ten wins this year. I think that they get at most is to eight. But the Florida one you pointed out is very interesting one. Like I initially thought that Florida could sneak and get themselves to ten wins. But the question I have about Florida is this, what does Lagway shoulder look like? Now, granted, they've basically said that he's good to go, he's gonna be bawling, he's fine, blah blah blah. He didn't have a procedure, they just let it heal. But what the heck does that shoulder look like when we get into season. That is where I have nothing but questions about Florida going forward. I don't know what the shoulder looked like. If I knew what the shoulder looked like, I totally bel like they got this, but I don't know what they show to look like.
Speaker 2: Jay dude didn't throw for months. Didn't throw for months, and from a guy who has a destroyed shoulder. You know, I didn't throw my senior season in high school. And as I mean as a picture, it's a different, different game, right, didn't throw. But once I got hurt my freshman year, I didn't have surgery and then it didn't take long and my sophomore year before it was done. And football and this is a and he's a big dude. This is a big, big dude.
Speaker 1: He's when he will buy me. I was just like this, Yeah, he's he's unreal cute. I didn't realize he was this big, wide, broad shoulder that he was. He looks like a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yes, Now, I absolutely love the running game. I think that if you're Florida, you need him to go out and be all SEC quarterback. You don't need him to go and throw the ball out over the yard. You need him to care for the football three yards in a cloud and dust if you have to, and let your team. If Florida ends up at ten wins and everybody is making fun of them and saying that is the ugliest ten win team in history. It don't matter. That's a winning recipe for Florida. This year ten is ten and you've got Long Island University. Don't know if that's a drudge football team, but that's Week one South Florida. A little bit of a test, right, It's not a scrub, but not a rollover. Then you're at LSU at Miami, Texas at home at A and M. You get to come home and play Mississippi State and then Georgia. This schedule is tough at Kentucky, at Ole, miss Tennessee, and then Florida State at home. So again, kind of like I said, you're gonna know what Bama is by week five. You know, week five rolls around, we're gonna have a pretty good idea. You know, do they have the juice to go out and do some damage? And again, injuries change everything. I think that you're putting a lot on that shoulder of Lagway and it's l s U, Miami, Texas, Texas, A and m that's a four week span with a buy right right between Miami and Texas. But I just I just yeah, absolutely, so you're going to if you're Florida, muck it up, win ugly, because if you can go out and put ten wins, I mean, hell, Florida's gonna love they win nine games. If you can go do that, you're you're pointed up, especially with that schedule. And just like we're talking about with US, I think us in Florida, if you go nine and three, you're gonna get talked about for the playoff because that is going to that's gonna be a I mean, that's gonna be a that's gonna be a tough that's gonna be a tough out to to say. Now, if it's a mucky SEC and there's not a you know, some of these teams are not as good as they looked, maybe it's a different conversation, but still it's gonna be nine to three in the SEC and you're gonna be able to point toward all those teams unless you lose to the three best ones, and then maybe maybe it's not the same conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And for them. The sucky part for Florida is they got Miami and Florida State every year out of conference. So whenever you hear the big ten, people gaslight everybody about playing you know, a stronger non con. There's a lot of SEC teams that play a lot of P four teams non conference every year, guarantee. You've got Georgia, Georgia Tech. You've got Florida, Florida State and Miami. You've got who is this. You've got South Carolina plays Clemson every year this season. You've got teams that match up against rivals non con every single year, guaranteed. So I was like, Eh, let's not pretend like they don't battle each other. It's there's some games that are always in there. Now. I mean, you mix in some other nomine and I saw sell somebody talking about that. I think Barry Turnal talking about it recently, and I will have to talk about that in another video. I don't want to take it up too much. I want to continue to talk SEC ball because he had some points, but there were some things that was complete when he talked about it. But got another one for you. Coop Vender built can Vender built win nine games this.
Speaker 2: Year, Diego Pavia. This was another game in seedy comment and I still remember because I was clearing out more poison ivy in between the fence right when they were talking about this focus, because I didn't want to end up in the same situation I was in. Homeboy goes out and says he came back to win a NASH Championship at vender Bilt. I will say this, Vanderbilt's not sneaking up on anybody again. This year. They kind of came up on folks. Uh, you know, after the Bama win, they go to Texas. Texas pretty handle them pretty well, the Vanderbilt and I'm gonna pull up their schedule here.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think they've got They got vo Tech since Charles in count game one, VY Tech second, South Carolina, third, Georgia State, Utah State, Alabama, LSU, Missouri, Texas, Auburn, Kentucky, and then Tennessee. I'll pull up the full schedule and pull on the screen so everybody can see it.
Speaker 2: It's it's gonna come down to this Jay. They're gonna have to get a couple of these teams Alabama, LSU, Texts, and then at Tennessee the end of the year. I don't think that Tennessee is going to be what they were even last year. But at the end of the year they come into you know, at Tennessee. That could be you know, that could be a there we go. That could be a pretty a telling game for you know, positioning in the SEC at that point. I don't think they got dk R and win. I don't think they go to Alabama. I think that Alabama game could be a that could be an ugly, ugly, ugly game. So I think that's I think that we get to see a lot from Vanderbilt. What do they do in Week three against South Carolina. If they can go out and win that game, or you know, be in a position to win that game, that may be able to tell us what is Venderbilt. But I think that they snuck up on a lot of people last year. I don't necessarily think that that's going to be on the table this year.
Speaker 1: I got an argument to make on that. Then that Alabama game, you say could be a blood bath, totally get you. Vanderbilt's hosting Utah State the week before, right the Aggies Nate Dryling's former team. He was the interim head coach there and they didn't want to give him the job, so he ended up at Arkansas State down here in Alklahoma. But Vanderbilt plays them the twenty seventh after playing Georgia State, so back to back, pretty solid, you know, quote unquote games, then they played Bama. Who does Bama played the week before they play against Vanderbilt.
Speaker 2: Coop Ray Charles Georgia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they played Georgia the week before they played Vandy. So if you got Bama playing Georgia at Athens, then they get to come home and play against Vanderbilt. Do we think that there is a chance because that's gonna be a physical game and Georgia got revenge in their mind too after the way that game, would that that may be beneficial to Vanderbilt more than it is for Georgia.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I mean absolutely yes. But I still think you come home no matter what happens, because if they go to Georgia and they lose that game to Georgia, who I think, Like I said, Georgia, I fully believe is taking a step back this year. I think that they're gonna have talent all over the field, but do they have a team. But regardless of how that game goes, you either get to lack your wounds and come home to play Vanderbilt or you're feeling pretty mighty fine about yourself. And then you get to come home and take some revenge out. I'd say typically that was a trap game. I think if Alabama comes somehow makes it comes back and wins that game, maybe can Bandy could get them this year. But I think that with the way that they at that game went down, because I mean, what was it forty to thirty five? I believe last year hold on.
Speaker 1: For Vanderbilt versus vander Bilt versus yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forty forty thirty five Alabama. And I mean and they also came off of a bye. You know, Vanderbilt came off of a bye after a doublet loss against Missouri. They had a bye before Bama.
Speaker 1: They had a bye before Bama, which now they play Utah State, which is quote unquote aub bye. And guess what. Guess where Bama came from the week before Vanderbilt last year.
Speaker 2: Playing Georgia at the Crib Georgia.
Speaker 1: You see you see now now one hundred As as my boy Brinsky would know Sharphooter, Sharp Shooter Sports Talk, you know, check them out here on YouTube. He will say, you know, you know, people say, hey, you know they're gonna be locked in for this one. But that's kind of the thing out here is that Vanderbilt came off that bye and then they play, you know, at the Crib, and Bama came off that big time game against Georgia. I think that these schedulers were some a holes by doing that a second year in the row. I don't care. Nobody say that's rude, that's rude, it's disrespectful, and it felt pointed they did that. But Diego Pabby is talking a lot of that yin yang, and I actually appreciate the fact that he's doing that. He was the star at Media Day's dog Like he was the star.
Speaker 2: When I would I would definitely I'd say this is gave me. Teddy said it. If Pavia played for Tennessee, if Pavia played for Missouri A and m anybody else and he came back and he said that, people would have lit him up. Pavi is kind of untouchable, pretty untouchable, and you know, it's I even saw somebody put out there on Twitters like I can't remember who who the talking head they were tweeting at, but like the it factor or like the he was like we need a stat for like you know, for like Diego Pavia for guys that just get things done. I mean, they still lost six games last year and uh, South Carolina they only scored seven points LSU seventeen, Tennessee twenty three. So I mean Pavia is a gamer. Dude averaged one hundred and sixty some passing yards one hundred and seventy passing yards the last six or seven games this season. I just I think that we get a little enamored because if that's a you know, they go six and seven, if they lost to that Alabama team. And I don't think people are talking about him as much, but fair, he's a he's just one. He's uh. I mean, he's like a super super super water down you know, Baker Mayfield, it's he's he's he's got the coach, you know, talking about those things too. I just wonder, I just just wonder, can they sneak up on anybody or somebody saying, hey, man, Vandy, back in your place, chief, back in your chief.
Speaker 1: I mean people are saying that. But I think what's funny as we talk about this more is Pavey has got all of the all of the sauce right now, Like he he cares a lot about winning for this program, which is a big deal. Like I don't think people understand how big of a deal to me that is that you've got a quarterball coming in here with this much confidence you want to fail.
Speaker 2: In the social media's, fill in social media's and feeling this that's your goal.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love that out of him, and he actually got me excited about watching watching Vanderbilt this season. I'm actually gonna tune into them like crazy because another unknown, fat or little little nugget for everybody. Clark Lee last year was the defensive coordinator for the team, and he did it for one full season. Brought in Tim Beck to run his offense. So he left tim Beck do his thing, which we saw success out of. I think when seven and six, don't get it twisted that success for Vanderbilt, that going seven and six, he now is passing that mantle down to one of his assistants who was underneath him while he was calling said plays. That kind of is a thing that makes me think about how what I think Brent Vinibles is gonna end up doing next season. That this year he's gonna run it, we'll see success from it, and then he's gonna pass it down to Nate Dryling and Wes Goodwin and let them run his defense. But that's kind of crazy to see that. That's what Clark had to douse. Remember, he came out, he's he comes in and takes the job. He's two and ten his first year, five and seven, the next season, two and ten, the third year, and then last season they go to a bowl game and they win in the Birmingham Bowl. Seven and six. It's pretty darn good. When everything was just falling apart for him, you saw a little success in twenty two. I mean, you go five and seven, two and six in conference, you went to conference games. It's a big deal. But you have your goal is to get to what James Franklin got you back to back nine and four seasons. Granted Pavia has only got one year left, so you you've only got one opportunity to do that. But the Pavia thing, to me is very intriguing that if he can get them the nine wins, dog, I mean, he's Vanderbilt's done it. It's just not common.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, And you know, and we'll see this going into last year. I think that we saw a lot of the coaching rankings, you know, going in and clark Lee was right back there with Jeff Levy and the you know which one is the most successful coach and that was dude who hasn't done anything yet. So, I mean, clark Lee throws out nine wins. I would venture to say he's probably not at Vanity anymore. I would say that he is getting looked at by several other programs, and uh, you know, somebody's gonna somebody's gonna gonna poach him off. Somebody's gonna pay that. That's what's gonna happen. But again, Diego Pavia and Clark Lee have two guys in Oklahoma talking about Vanderbilt on July twenty seventh.
Speaker 1: Amen, that's the beauty of this conference dog top to bottom. This conference has got a lot of intriguing storylines to really dive into last one. And I saw somebody point this in here, madnim jump on. We're gonna jump into these questions that I've had start on here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Chuck asked the question about Scott d. Bindto wrote an article about John matt Is his pro football analysis on him on draft Wire at USA Today. This was intriguing. This is what he basically said. Uh, he says, of course, materis smaller six one two four but allows him to be shifty. His awareness in traffic is just average, as he'll let pocket compress and in gold film, but there is a flash of brilliance when he finds daylight in tight spaces. He thinks his pass is below average, and that's because the air raid was very much quicker and in rhythm. He rarely had legitimate dropbacks or whatnot. His arm strength and accuracy are average, with the latter barely getting there. He his adequate zip from a clean pocket with a solid base. His accuracy is barely average. Uh, and he's a highly effective ball carrier. So overall is an excellent college football college quarterback who makes things happen in chaos and is a threat with average tough to imagine his game translated in NFL or even the SEC. I like that he said he's an exciting college quarterback, But Chuck, I think this dude's all over the place when it comes to this statement that he didn't think it's going to translate to the SEC when we've literally seen other quarterbacks do that. Hell, Diego Popia just did, and we just for like the last twelve minutes. Cool. What you think about all the stuff I just told.
Speaker 2: You, Well, my coworker, mister Scott, I may have to you know, maybe I'm have to try to get him on on the on the podcast too. Here I listen, I work for this company, right, this is USA today. You are you gotta you gotta do hot takes, and it's here's a hot take right now or the other. Whether you're gonna take take a shot at him or you're going to prop him up. I will say this is he was the I mean, he was one of the top two, two or three whatever it is, uh top you know, depending on whatever you're looking at quarterbacks in the transfer portal this year he was. He was the one that I wanted out of everybody. I would take him every day in the week over Carson Back. Oh yeah, you know, I've got It's there are some conversations around who he played last year. Washington was number twenty eight and overall defense, Yeah, he played a lot of guys, you know, right in the forty to fifty Tech Boise State, Fresno State, Oregon State. Like those guys, those were all decent defenses. Leave it was the Boise State game to where he it was a massive, massive comeback and say this is I think that he has dude squat six hundred pounds. He reminds Jay You've said it. He reminds you of Jalen Hurts. You know, whenever he's running the ball, he also is going to and I think, what's going to happen. We're going to see it. This year. He didn't have I mean, he had Ryan Williams, who was a you know, wide receiver or Kyle Williams, sorry, Kyle Williams wide receiver. Chris he went third rounds in in a draft. Chris Hudson, another guy five eleven, one seventy four. He transferred to Arizona. He's going to have better everything around him this year. Yeah, that's that's I mean, it's just true and simple. I will say that where we saw Jackson Arnold in his inability to make up a play at any point in any time. If you going to watch the material film, he is he is a guy who he's going to look like he's about to be sacked. And he had on three a different occasion and the Dylan Gabriel to Nick Anderson to win Texas type of pass where he takes you know, takes two steps towards the line, looks like he's gonna duck and take a sack, and then pops up and throws a phenomenal pass. He sees dudes wide open. I think that the you know, the conversation on him this year is you don't have to actually go out and win everything for this team. You need to take advantage of the opportunities in front of off the show by saying, the world wide receivers need to make the play that's in front of them. I think John Mattier is a guy who is going to You're gonna see him grow up and he is going to polish up a lot of that. I think he was sixty four percent completion. That's got to go up. He averaged nine yards of nine yards of completion, you know, so that's not super awesome, But I think you've got the capability of talents around him, whether it's guys on the outside like Jovanni Gibson, whether it's a guy like Dean Burt's, it's a middle Jaden Ott. He's got forty some on cas. I think he's got almost one hundred catches in his career and that's with an injury shortened you know year, you're going to have a lot of options for him. Where I think that Materier cannot be measured is his just ability to make things happen when nothing's there. And we had, you know, coming off a year to where we had a guy who couldn't make something happen when it was standing staring him right in the face. We're all gonna love it is he gonna throws to make you go. That may have been the stupidest thing I ever seen. I think he makes a few of them, and I think that you got to live with it. It's just like Baker, you gotta you gotta take the good with the bad. But yeah, I mean, our friend here all over the place, and it's it's a hot take, you know. Like I said, Matiers, a lot of people are pouncing on him, like, hey watch out. Some people are saying Heisman, some people are saying offensive player of the year in the SEC this dude took the other.
Speaker 1: Next question I think is really good leads right into this. Do you guys think we are well prepared if we have another wide receiver health crisis like last season? Caleb? I do I what one hundred percent think that wide receiver wise, we are in a way better situation than we were last year because we're not gonna have to play a whole bunch of true freshmen this time around. We've actually got dudes that's been out there, and I think that Jones now has guys that he's had to develop and actually focus on to make this happen. I think that when you get you throw an ivan carry on out there. Of course, Jacob Jordan is gonna get some run. He supposedly he's been doing really good in a camp over the summer or whatnot in spring. Josiah Martin. There's another young wide receiver, but who also has experienced he played a cow. Those are guys, I'm telling you that aren't even in the tops of your depth chart yet, like a lot of didn'tink he's a true freshman. It's gonna be like ridiculously good. So he's gonna be up there at the top of your your sheet. Same thing with the many choice. But for me, I think that we are one hundred percent in a much better position in preparation for knock on wood. If anything happened to the wide receiver spots, with not but having two guys in the slot, with Seitania and Berks, having four guys on the outside with Kearnie Lewis and both Gibson's play or not. But you still got additional pieces with with j Mike also being a part of those outside guys. As five dudes on the outside, you feel comfortable with an Elyjah Thomas, who makes it six And I haven't even touched on all of the other sophomores that we have. I think we're in a way better position.
Speaker 2: Coop, what do you think statistically incapable of happening again? It's just last year was so was so damn detrimental to just the you know, the psyche of in between the offensive line and the wide receiver. I mean, last time we saw anything injury wise and it wasn't this deep, it was just keep components was two thousand and nine when Bradford and Gresham both get hurt. So I will say this is if Elijah Thomas has to play early, that's not the same thing as Ion Kearney. I think Elijah Thomas has the capability of being a sterling shepherd. Ryan Broyle's Clayton Typo wide receiver, a guy who's gonna come in here and throw three years together. I think that you get guys back in waves. You know, again with Andrel Anthony, it being a knee thing for a speed guy. You know that that was a tough pull because due to it right in the middle of the season, couldn't do anything. It just never came back. It's just not gonna just don't see it happening. But Jay, I agree with you because I think Kearney is a a really really big sleeper for everybody. Everybody keep keep your eyes on it. But if you just look at guys like Satania ses Lewis six two hundred pounds, you got Giovanni Gibbs and Jaden Gibson, Elijah Thomas, Josion Martin again with a lot of time, many choice. If you get down to many's choice, that's the bottom of the barrel. And he was a highly recruited guy and he's a freshman. You still got kJ Daniels. You still got carry On, who is a guy who I think is going to help out with having a quarterback who knows how to find you. But remember, please, guys, remember this. No one was scared of our offense. At all. Nobody did anything. They punked our dudes at the wide receiver spot, right at the line of scrimmage. They dared us they couldn't. We knew they couldn't. Everything knew we couldn't run the ball. They knew we couldn't throw the ball. So the entire defense was with fifteen yards of the line of scrimmage, and we couldn't. We couldn't pull him out of it, couldn't pull him out of it. I don't think that that's even a nash here. So I think you're going to have more opportunity for these wide receivers.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Last good question we had in here to address, David asked a good one. No, a lot of y'all think this. Watched the podcas yesterday that Rodney and Calebs, Rodney Anderson. It's keleb Kelly put on this one Oklahoma basically who put the pot out. This team is going to be very special this year. We'll react to that. Oh, there are one hundred percent spot on in what they were saying. I'm gonna just tell you that right now. When we talked about Oklahoma having a chance to really be competitive for playoffs and all of that stuff, and now a lot of you won't remember this, but we talked about this in twenty three, had a feeling that Dylan Gaber was not gonna come back. Twenty twenty five was the year that was because when you get to twenty twenty five, which is the season that's dudes with three three to four years in the BV defensive system. Your class of twenty two guys are now I've been in here for three years, they're your veterans. They're the ones that will be built up. And that's kind of the trajectory that our bent Venable's defense has always taken. Most of the staff, remember, came with him from Clemson, except for b Hall and Vly, but they basically had a whole bunch of dudes with them from Clemson, and the way they did things there was roughly by the time the fourth season came up, his defensive line and his defenses were top ten easily. Well. Last year efficiency wise, we were top fifteen in everybody's and in some top ten, So that tells you that we're at that point. We're at that trajectory. We expected well twenty five now and basically Rodney and Caleb were saying, hey, they got all the pieces on defense that they need. We added the offensive pieces that we probably needed to make sure that we're not worse than we were last year.
Speaker 2: Year.
Speaker 1: There's a very good chance baseball on the blue chet ratio is also does confirmenter nine in the country. But this team can compete as long as they don't fall apart throughout the season. I agree with them. This team is gonna be a lot more special than people expect or understand because the talent is already there. Yes, I understand the twenty six recruiting isn't going the way y'all want it to, But I'm telling y'all now, twenty six class recruiting matter until twenty twenty eight, when they're actually probably gonna have to be on the field. So, Coop, how do you feel about those comments from Rodney and Caleb? But do you think this team has a chance to be special?
Speaker 2: So you're telling me Rodney Anderson, whose brother got punked by the team and left the team, thinks this team's gonna be really, really good.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, based upon what it is that you know yeah this, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Caleb Kelly, you know he has I think he's still around the team quite a bet. I know that he went to the ministry route. Listen, you're it's it's happening more and more and more. And I think that the fact is is you got It's not just the fact that this team has stepped up and filled a lot of the holes that that were going on everywhere else. It's the fact that this team also has a great opportunity because what's going on around the country. You got newness absolutely everywhere. And asterisks don't mean a damn thing to me.
Speaker 1: Jay.
Speaker 2: So if it's a weaker field this year and this team goes out and does something crazy and somebody says, yeah, but I don't care. Everybody gets to field the team in twenty five, what did you do with that opportunity? And so I just go with this is this defense is going to be special and with an offense that can hold its own, the defense has a lot of opportunity. Materier is going to have a lot of short fields. You're you're going to be able to offense. And Jay, I don't look had a team on this schedule. I mean, tell us in the chat, tell me what you think about it. Is there a team on the schedule that you're like zero chance that we can win against that team.
Speaker 1: Bavai said it perfectly. There's not a single team on this schedule where they feel like they don't have a chance, not any single one. And I agree.
Speaker 2: It's it's you got to figure that this. I say, the new quarterbacks, the new quarterbacks are all all throughout the entire schedule. The only two returning guys you have are Lenora Sellers. And that game was over before the offense ever had to do anything. And Neusmeyer well Nessmeyer also lost the best parts of his offensive line from last year, you know, the first alignment off the board in Will Campbell. And so you've got all those situations. I just I and the schedule sets up. The names on the schedule are daunting, but if you really dig in, you know the opportunity is there. So when someone says, hey, eight and four is the is the floor for this team? I can't even see. I can't see eight and four. I don't see four losses on this schedule. And it's not not a fan speaking, that's just someone who looks at the statistics and looks at everything out here. Now, what is the top end. What is the team top end capable of having Because they and a lot of these guys on defense, they've done a lot of good winning for their part. This offensive side, they've not gone out and won things yet. Point and so I just say, is the it's fair to say, is what can the offense? What's the ceiling for the because if the ceiling for the offense is significantly high, we're in the playoffs and where And that's what's gonna happen. And it's not only the SEC J It's everywhere. It's everywhere. Oregon starts a new quarterback, Ohio State starts a new quarterback, any of the big the big time guys. It's it's new quarterbacks everywhere. And yes, Materier is a new quarterback. But how many of these teams with new quarterbacks are looking at a guy who is, I mean, significantly better than what they had last year. I just don't. I just don't see it.
Speaker 1: And there's not a lot. There's not a lot. The SEC is dealing with a lot of quarterbacks since the change or whatnot. Like you mentioned, there's only really two teams bringing back a former starter, and everybody else is breaking in new guys, and you don't know what they're gonna look like until later in the season. You know, for us, we'll see a lot of the you'll see like a bow Pubulah from Missouri, you won't see him until one of the of the close the last games of the season, so you'll find out what he is then Ty Simpson, you know, Joey Aguilar or Jake Mex Slinger for Tennessee. Like the list of them, there's a ton of them that we're dealing with. But the good thing is this defense should improve, like you said from last year, because they're not gonna have situations where they were. They're getting the ball back immediately every single time you do something. So there's a bunch of good things lining up. But I actually believe one hundred percent what what Caleb and Rodney seeing because there's a lot of opportunity there. I think there's a lot there. There's a lot of opportunities there. So good stuff, good stuff, all right about of here, one more question here from k R. J Arsenal and night with Naggi. He said, we are still going after guys who are minute elsewhere? Do you who do you think flips to us if we start stacking wins. I'm gonna be one hundred percent honest. I have no clue, mainly because I know that they redid the board and the board focus starts on started last Tuesday of you know, with their color system and everything that they've introduced the staff. Of how they're gonna do it, I ain't got a clue who they decided to keep on there who's not. I am completely flying blind, but I'll tell you this, there's a lot of top players that they are gonna go after that they feel like will be worth it. Because if there's one thing that Naggie did tell me that I thought was very intriguing, he mentioned to me, and he's at this in the interview with me, that fans aren't privy to what the asking price is for a lot of these players. Sent right, we're not privy. We don't know he does, because he of course talks to all these ages and stuff. But what he said was the bigger problem you run into is that if you're going to a lot that much of your rev share to that player, they better be playing. You don't want them sitting on your bitch. Is there anybody in the freshman class for twenty twenty six that you think should be starting in twenty twenty six on your roster. I don't know yet. I don't I haven't dug that deep into it. But that's where their question is. But I do think, yeah, they do flip some guys cool.
Speaker 2: And I say this, Jay is yeah, I've heard look the line. I think that wide receiver is probably a conversation that gets had. But I will do I will say this. If you go out and you pay somebody, let's go with a big defensive lineman this year or sorry, coming for next year. This defensive line is young. You lose Gbaby and Don Williams and that's it from this this year unless somebody just you know, ghost pay day. So you would be paying close to three quarters to a million dollars for defensive lineman. And you run into the David Stone situation where David wasn't bad, he just had a lot of traffic out in front of him, and so you pay it, dude, massive chunk your rev share, which means you can't go after somebody else. And then year two you try to have the conversation, hey man, we gave you this money this year two money is x because you didn't have much last year and potential is there for you to go up and then due says I'm out. So now you just paid a guy a bunch of money for one year just to see him exit in the transfer portal. Yeah, those are the situations that you're seeing. Those are what you're dealing with. You look at guys all across the place, and that's that's what's gonna happen. So if you go after for a guy for twenty six, is it a guy that you think is going to be able to come in and play for the dollar that are asking And you hear it all across the board all these other podcasts, it's the same situation. Jay, very very plain and simple. Is you know Taj Overton, Taj Overton wanted a dollar figure from us that we were not willing to get. Wasn't going to see the field next year. So I would just say this is there's a lot of conversations and a lot of negative recruiting that's going on. You go with listen to PG. You go listen to guys who really just do recruiting, heavy, heavy, heavy, Josh Josh question, Brent Venables ain't going to be there a lot of the stuff that they're being told. I think that if that conversation wasn't happening with cruel, I think he's in the fold. So you go out and put it on the field, and all of a sudden, every bit of that negative recruiting that kind of just kept guys from pulling the trigger and coming to o you. They're back on the table. And I will say this just on the absolute other side of the coin. You go out and it doesn't work this year, and you throw out seven wins, I don't it doesn't matter anyway because you're gonna have to have more negative recruiting. You know, he did it again, now what? And I will just say this, let's take away year one because we all know that you're coming in and just hoping that there's something left in the cupboard at that point. But year two you go ten and two, year three you have injuries galore. If Brent Vnnibles is who we all think he is, he's done the things that we think that he's done. There's a lot of happiness that's going to be happening. And there's a lot I know that I've already seen it here in the chat Jay, there's a lot of receipts. A lot of folks have receipts because it's not just the fact that we struggled last year. It's the fact that we struggled and Texas did so well, and now Texas is getting that hype. You go out and you put it on the field this year, and now it's the conversation back again to where this team belongs, where they're at, and I think that this is a year that you have a lot of great opportunity in front of you.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fun. It's gonna be a fun season. All Right, We're out of here. Thank y'all for pulling up hit that like button. If you to describe rate us, review us, give us five and me and Coop will be back maybe on Wednesday. We'll see how the schedules aligne We may go ahead and go live and talk about the first day of fall camp, because I know every single one of us is gonna be excited. So we'll chop it up with each every single one of y'all in the next day or two. Possibly we'll talk soon. Pas