Speaker 1: The last No Broadcasting Company presents Radio City Playhouse Attraction twenty two. And here, ladies and gentlemen, is you're director Harry W. Junkin, Thank you, Bob Warren Friends.
Speaker 2: Four weeks ago, Radio City Playhouse presented a play called five Extra Newses by Charles Lee Hutchings. Listeners across the country wrote to us commending the script in its theme Tonight we present another script by this penetrating enable writer. As a matter of fact, we feel.
Speaker 3: Very warm towards mister Hutchings, because, whether he knows it or not, he has the much to be value talent of pointing a moral while still remaining entertaining his storage. Knight is called correction and stars are good friend, mister John Larkin. The characters and organizations in the player imaginary, and any resemblance to persons living or dead or to actual organizations is unintentional. Here, then, is Radio City Playhouse Attraction twenty two. Correction by Charles Lee Hutchings.
Speaker 4: Read all about it, say we can't commit suicide when leap until read all about.
Speaker 5: His latest positions. Registered News Examiner, Hi you Zach.
Speaker 6: The Register.
Speaker 7: I uh so you got your name in a paper not sleeping till deal Register gives you quite a play. Yes, say your doc, what's a low down on that dame which takes the powder?
Speaker 6: Where she give me the paper? You don't have to read all about it in the Register?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, doc, don't.
Speaker 4: Need to get good read all about it society, then commit suicide with sleep until read all.
Speaker 6: Take me to the office of the night editor.
Speaker 8: Okay, he's on the fourth floor.
Speaker 6: I seen him that much. See you all right, son, Yeah, yeah, I'm all right. I kept going with him.
Speaker 8: Unit editor is Charlie Jorgison. You know him no where most everybody knows Charlie Jorgison. Him and me has been on the Daily Register for twenty odd years. He's a mighty busy Man's Charlie when he says, you know you're coming.
Speaker 6: No, it doesn't matter, he'll see me. I have a story for him. Ooh story.
Speaker 8: Eh, Well, here's his floor, mister.
Speaker 5: Here you find Charlie in that corner.
Speaker 6: Roll or slide across there.
Speaker 9: Hey bye, where the hag us that kid? Hey pie, listen, Turner, don't call me again. I'm not going to argue with you. I'm telling you so downfall. I'll be with you in a minute. Listen Turner, I said tomorrow, and I mean tomorrow. I get going, mister Jogieson, Yes, I'm Jergison.
Speaker 6: What can I do for you? You have an identity that's rights there?
Speaker 9: Excuse me, Jarguson, Lesson, Baxter, it goes on paid one, So stop bothering me.
Speaker 6: How you were saying, mister.
Speaker 9: Lumsden, Doctor Roger Lumsdon, Well how are you, doctor Lumsdon?
Speaker 6: Your paper has been running my name in the story all day. That girl who died last night the party on Long Island.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, you were the Excuse me, doc, This place gets busy this time and night. Arguson, Yeah, McLaren's got it, check it, will you?
Speaker 6: Okay? Yeah right. I wasn't at the party at mister Ramsey or whatever it is. I'm really busy.
Speaker 9: Can't you come back some time at.
Speaker 6: Your paper said I was a guest at this point. I wasn't.
Speaker 10: I live a few blocks away. A friend of mine called me over to see if I could do anything.
Speaker 6: For the girl.
Speaker 10: Your paper got it mixed up, made it sound like I was a guest at this party.
Speaker 9: Well there's two bad doctor.
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 6: Lumsdon? Doctor, Roger Lumsdon.
Speaker 9: I'm sorry if you were annoyed, doctor, but I don't see what difference it makes.
Speaker 6: After all, you were the part I was called at the party in my professional capacity. I wasn't a guest.
Speaker 9: Isn't that a technicality?
Speaker 10: Yes, that technicality has finished me as a reputable doctor.
Speaker 9: Oh come now, doctor Lumson. It isn't that bad after all you were.
Speaker 6: It is that bad. The hospital asked me to resign tonight. I'm finished. Patients have been canceling appointments all day. Why can you windo an implication?
Speaker 10: Your story says I'm a fast and loose society doctor who gets roaring drunk with people of dubious morals and supplies than with drugs.
Speaker 6: We said no such things, not in so many words. No, But that's the impression you created.
Speaker 9: Look, Lumson, you're putting your own construction on the story. We didn't say anything of the sort.
Speaker 6: I don't think I can help you. There's nothing I can yes, there is what I want to talk to. The reporter who came out of the house where the girl died. Young fellow wore.
Speaker 9: Classes might be me. She's off duty. Now excuse me, Jargison. Heh yeah, all right, call extension four nine seven Jim Monroe. Okay, Mike Bami, she is off duty.
Speaker 6: Leave your number and I'll have him. Hey, Hey, put that gun away. Don't make any noise, Joorgison, don't try to push any of your buzzes. Hey is that thing loaded? Full clip? I'll tell your operator you don't want any more telephone calls in here.
Speaker 10: Tell her now, are you pick up the receiver and say no more calls. And I'm warning your Joorgison. If you say anything out of order, I'll kill you.
Speaker 6: I mean it.
Speaker 9: I'll listen, doc, you can't no more calls? Quick, Hello, ethel no more calls. I'm in conference. Okay, right, I'll look London. Let's be reasonable. You're an intelligent man. This sort of thing isn't going to get you anywhere. This isn't the way to do it.
Speaker 6: You're not using your head.
Speaker 9: Let's talk this thing over in a calm, intelligent, reasonable way.
Speaker 6: Reasonable, calm, those are fine sounding words, Jogson. I've been walking around the streets for the last two hours trying to be calm and reasonable. You know how long it takes to become a doctor. It's taken me ten years. Ten years, ten years of slugging and skimping and going without food.
Speaker 10: To buy books, ten years of living on nothing, of interurning on a few lousy bucks, a month of staying up all night studying.
Speaker 6: And it's gone finished. Washed up? Why because your paper decided to have some fun because you thought, shut up.
Speaker 10: I'm sick, Joson, sick at my stomach. I'm sick at my stomach and I'm washed up. If you press that buzzer, I'll kill you.
Speaker 6: And that's better. What do you want me to do? Might bemished down here? Now?
Speaker 5: Okay, Hi Charlie? What's the pitch?
Speaker 6: When I got your phone call.
Speaker 5: At Oh we Go?
Speaker 6: Are you Mike Beamish? Yeah? I'm Beamish, Say Charlie? What goes on? What gives with this guy in the gun? Damn Beamish? Over there beside, jordis into it, fella. You can't do anyhing, Mike.
Speaker 10: The gun is loaded. It's to keep things tidy until I'm finished. Do you remember me Beamish?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a doctor that was at the party last night. Your story was a bit vivid, wasn't it. What do you mean where did you get that information about my father.
Speaker 11: Oh, like we dug it out of the files. One of the editors remembered your father then well known, and.
Speaker 6: Stop playing games?
Speaker 10: Shall we suppose I refresh your memory? Suicide, wild party, glamorous Joyce Farley, beautiful Broadway show girl died last night by.
Speaker 6: Her own hand.
Speaker 10: Quiet only gonna diaph inous white chiffon nightgown. It wasn't a nightgown, it was an evening dress.
Speaker 6: Oh, for gosh sakes.
Speaker 11: Doc, I I mean nightgown, evening gown.
Speaker 6: How am I supposed to end? There's a mighty big difference.
Speaker 10: A white evening gown su guests, dignity and refinements, A white cheffon nightgown, sugguests, all sorts of things.
Speaker 11: Now, look, Doc, you're making a mountain out of a mold.
Speaker 6: He like quiet at the end of a while, Champaigne party, and so on and so on. Doctor Roger Lumsden, well known, society doctor. What do you mean by society? Doctor?
Speaker 9: Look here, Lumsonmi's just reports what he says.
Speaker 6: I'm asking him what he means by society doctor. Well, I'm I'm winning beamish. Oh they were pretty fancy people.
Speaker 10: I aim that I'm a high priced gentleman that panders to weak minded rich women who have nothing better to do than take pills.
Speaker 6: Did you know on no, I did you know that? I had never.
Speaker 10: Seen one of these people before in my life, not one of them.
Speaker 6: Did you know that? Why?
Speaker 10: No, there was somewhat strange coincidence. Doctor Roger Lumsdon, who pronounced the girl dead, is the only son of the late Professor Kenneth Lumsdon, who also.
Speaker 6: Ended his life through an overdose of sleeping fools.
Speaker 10: The late Professor Lumsdon was one of America's foremost authorities on serial chemistry. He resigned from academic life following a scandal in connection with reported irregularities and faculty student relationships.
Speaker 6: That makes me sick. I know every word of it, and it makes me some Now, Look, doctor I.
Speaker 11: Or maybe I wrote that story a little bit fast. I, but I didn't dick up.
Speaker 6: The stuff about your fat father. I'd like to know what brilliant journalist is mine remembered my father's trouble well, beamish. I hope you gentlemen are aware that since I have nothing to live for myself, it wouldn't cost me a thought to shoot both of you who's Myers are managing this guy's praise the matter? Mister Jorgeson, you men have a path to cover up each other's dirt. Myers Myers Myers was the.
Speaker 10: Name of the dirty keyhole columnist who wrote that item about my father's school.
Speaker 6: Is he still working for the Register. That's right, he's our managing editor, Suck Lumson.
Speaker 9: The Register will predit correction, Adam tomorrow, we'll overlook this business with a gun, will cret a full denial.
Speaker 6: Denial correction. Your paper ran an apology to my father.
Speaker 10: It was buried back on page ten with the obituary notices. It protected you from legal action, but it didn't help my father's reputation.
Speaker 6: Correction.
Speaker 11: Look, doctor Lumsdon, honest, I'm sorry about this. I I'll do anything I can. I Oh gosh, doc, I just worked.
Speaker 6: Sure, sure, nobody's responsible, nobody did it, but my father's reputation is ruined. And now I'm ruined. Twice in ten years, the same family, the same paper, but nobody did anything. You who want me to be reasonable? Why why should I be reasonable? Because you don't expect the doctor to behave like this? Well, I'm not a doctor. Anymore. And I know exactly what I'm going to do. Get Myers down here tonight, tonight, right now. What's the matter, bemish you impressed? Well?
Speaker 9: Either Myers is a very busy man long sudden, he's probably out of town. Well you can't get a man like mister Myers just for the.
Speaker 6: Asking, this gun says. I can pick up that telephone and call him, and don't try any front page dramatics, Georgie, And I can't miss from here.
Speaker 12: Okay, Hello, it is mister Myers there.
Speaker 9: Please, it's Charlie Jargison at the register. Yes, it's very important, Organs.
Speaker 10: If you'll let your hand touch those buttons on your desk once more, Doc, you can't do quiet, beanish, Georgis, And I'm not fooling Hello, sir.
Speaker 9: I am sorry to disturb you at home, but WHOA, something very important has come up.
Speaker 6: Well I can't.
Speaker 9: I can't talk about.
Speaker 6: It on the phone.
Speaker 9: Well I know, sir, but I'm afraid you'll have to come down right away.
Speaker 6: Oh, sir, I really.
Speaker 9: Can't discuss it on the phone.
Speaker 6: It's very urgent.
Speaker 9: Yes, now, I'm afraid you'll have to come down right away. All right, mister Meyers.
Speaker 10: Thanks, Well, mister Myers will be right down good, and we just sit here and wait for him. We've all got a lot to think about.
Speaker 8: What kind of nonsense is this jarguson? And have you heard the war as a that it's quite possible to talk about things on the telephone.
Speaker 6: What's the matter with you, Jogerson? Famish? What is it behind you? Mister Myers? Huh huh? Who's this? What are you doing with that gun?
Speaker 10: I'm pointing that gun at your fat belly. Mister Myerson will blow a hole into your guts unless you sit down and shut up.
Speaker 6: No, no, sit over there with your hired help so I can see the whole pretty freesome.
Speaker 8: I've seen Triggerman before this. You look like an amateur to me. Suppose you explain what you want.
Speaker 9: He's Lumsdon, the doctor got mixed up in that suicide party on Long Island.
Speaker 6: You remember, the son of the late Professor Lumsden.
Speaker 8: Oh, now I can place you, doctor Lumsdon. Well, that was a very sad affair last night, very sad. We'll be glad to do anything we can.
Speaker 6: Myers. Do you remember seeing me before?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 8: I can't say that I do of course, if you'd put that gun away, it might ease the social situation.
Speaker 10: I'm asking you to remember back ten years I came to your office with my father. You had published a story at some off color behavior in the dormitories at my father's school. It was a particularly foul story, even for your column. Where did you get at, Myers?
Speaker 8: A newspaper man never reveals the source of that.
Speaker 6: That's what you told my father when we came to you ten years ago. I'm asking you now, Myers, and you'd better talk fast.
Speaker 8: I can't reveal the source.
Speaker 6: It was reliable, this gun has loaded, it's reliable. Well.
Speaker 8: Ten years is a long time, as I remember it. I got the story straight from a friend of mine, the father of one of the pupil You wrecked.
Speaker 10: My father's reputation with the dirty lies told by a man whose son was expelled from school.
Speaker 8: I made no charges. Those columns are checked by the paper's lawyers. How do you think I run my business all sweetness and light.
Speaker 6: I'm learning fast, and I don't like when I'm learning. When we came to your office, my father invited you to consider the facts. You jeered at it and dared him to sue you.
Speaker 8: Eh, there's no point in raking over the past to doctor Lemerston.
Speaker 6: Okay, Myers, let's talk about the present.
Speaker 10: You were the one who told Beamies to dig that old lie out of the files and make over into.
Speaker 6: The day's news. I think you hated my father, Myers, because he was a gentleman.
Speaker 10: And you are a cheap, dirty year responsible in one minute, your father's reputation was not as important as the responsibility of this paper to.
Speaker 6: Safeguard the public morals. Saved that stuff for your editorial page and your public speeches. You're a disgrace to every decent newspaper man.
Speaker 9: No matter what happened, Lonson, We've got to have a free press, your kind of free pressed.
Speaker 6: Jorgison, free from the restrictions of good taste, Free to blast a man's reputation, yet stay an inch within the law.
Speaker 8: As I remembered, your father was cleared of all suspicion.
Speaker 6: That's right, Myers. An investigation proved what you already knew, that your item was based on nothing but malicious gossip. Yes, my father was cleared with everybody except the public. He had to resign. He couldn't get a job in any school in this country. And finally you killed him, Myers, he took his own life. Nevertheless, you killed him with your printer's inc You killed him just as surely as I am going to kill you.
Speaker 9: What howl at London?
Speaker 6: You're all worked up right now? It's right, Doc. I think you're getting a bit melodramatic.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, perhaps I am. It's a really good material for a melodrama.
Speaker 6: Corny.
Speaker 10: In fact, the renowned professor Kenneth Lumsdon trailing his string of degrees from town to town.
Speaker 6: From humiliation to humiliation.
Speaker 10: Haunted by that little stick of type, a silly bit of gossip which helped to pedal your papers just one day.
Speaker 6: That's water over the dam.
Speaker 8: Now let's get busy and see what we can do to help clear up the present misunderstanding. Suppose we have Beamish write another story for tomorrow's paper making it clear that you were not a guest at the party.
Speaker 6: Lums how'd you know I wasn't a guest? Myers leab story?
Speaker 8: What's the difference? The story is gone tomorrow the public will have forgotten all about it.
Speaker 6: Oh, the public forgets, does it? I wonder if you know what you're talking.
Speaker 8: About I've been in the newspaper business for thirty years. I know the public.
Speaker 6: And you know that a paragraph of type can kill a man's reputation. You know that, don't you? Myers?
Speaker 8: I know I'm not going to sit here at ten o'clock at night discussing my business with every Tom, Dick and Harry who roams in.
Speaker 6: I'm leaving hal admirers. This can haul in right now. That's how you want it. Sit down?
Speaker 8: Oh suppose I admit that we have caused you some embarrassment.
Speaker 10: There have been six generations of teachers, doctors, and professional men and our family.
Speaker 6: Your story in today's paper has put an end to it all.
Speaker 10: You're exaggerating, lumsday am I Do you really think that, Jorgieson?
Speaker 6: Do you Myers? Do you think that I'm exaggerating?
Speaker 8: The story is routine news. It'll be forgotten right now. It's ten hours old and it'll be forgotten right now.
Speaker 6: I'll make you a bet on that, mister Myers. I think this thing all boils down to something between you and me.
Speaker 10: Beamish here is as a kid, we still get a chance to become a decent reporter. Georgison just sort of let things happen.
Speaker 6: I think you're the man who's important. So I'll make you a bet. I'll bet you that I'm finished. I'll bet you that ten years of work and struggle and hardship are wasting you.
Speaker 10: See myers, I know what happened to my father. So we're going to do a little experiment. You're going to telephone twelve people. Just pick them out of the telephone book, and I'll bet you that not one of them has forgotten this story. I'll bet you that every single one of the twelve will not only know about the story, know about me, but will have added all sorts of spicy, dirty details, details which you imply but don't print it.
Speaker 6: You want to make the bet, certainly, I'll make the bet.
Speaker 8: How much.
Speaker 6: Your life? What if you lose, I'll kill you. The bet is your life. Foeversh Georgson. This man is crazy. God it get on the phone now. I I don't understand. I picked the numbers out of the telephone book at random. But that's not fair.
Speaker 8: I how can I tell whether they that's just it?
Speaker 6: You can't. We'll let them give the verdict on me. But it's only routine news.
Speaker 8: I can't. Well, it's impossible to basically act.
Speaker 10: Are calling Myers, Get on that telephone. Just pick any numbers you like. We'll keep this extension open and listen.
Speaker 6: Now keep going.
Speaker 8: Hello, Uh, this is the Daily Register calling. We're we're checking up on a story. Did you read in the Register today about the girl who killed herself at the party on Long Island?
Speaker 6: Oh? You did? What was your reaction?
Speaker 5: Nation? All go to jail those.
Speaker 1: So signing people with a high prices.
Speaker 5: Nothing that's doing the time a thru party.
Speaker 6: Oh that was.
Speaker 8: A wonderful story.
Speaker 6: The dead girl looked so beautiful.
Speaker 9: I don't print this, but somebody told me today that doctor Lumsdon had been supplying drugs to the whole crime out.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 6: I hope you'll get more details. Yes, I read every word. My husband says, there must have been some hanky panky going on or us. You couldn't print the names, so I guess there will be criminal charges. The fools, the fools, Oh Lumson, I had no idea.
Speaker 8: We'll put an apology the correction tomorrow and app ad Myers.
Speaker 6: You've lost your debt.
Speaker 9: Oh luck, Lumsden. Most of us in this business try to do the decent thing. I admit that we've done a lot of harm with the careless.
Speaker 6: I don't know he was talking. Jeorgieson, mister Myers has lost his death.
Speaker 8: Oh look, doctor will we will print a full story about your father.
Speaker 6: We'll print anything you like.
Speaker 8: We'll print a notory on about the carelessness and an unethical newspaper practices that in't you innocent people?
Speaker 6: And right.
Speaker 10: Well, and keep perfectly still, mister Myers, sit down at that typewriter and write an honest story for change, and you better make it good.
Speaker 6: I just want the truth, the truth as you know it to be. I'll go ahead, all right, all right, I will.
Speaker 9: Hey, miss Georgison, a couple of guys are being held in v Chart for that bank robbery, and.
Speaker 6: Hey, what's this? Shut the door, actually get the police.
Speaker 8: This matter's a killer Shu.
Speaker 6: I'm still you. You'd never make the door. I'll go over beside Jorgison v Mesh and keep quiet.
Speaker 8: Hey now look what.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 9: Doc, help him?
Speaker 6: He stated, that's all. He'll come around.
Speaker 11: Well, Doc, Baxter's supposed to have a bad heart.
Speaker 6: Don't move any of you. He's all right. He just passed out. He'll be all right, Okay, Myers, get going on that story.
Speaker 8: There's a story, doctor Lumson. You see, I've cleared both your father and you.
Speaker 10: Can I go now supposing you read it out aloud first, Sorry you fainted, mister Baxter.
Speaker 6: You won't understand what this is all about. There's no doubt, mister Jorgison and mister beamichhe will be pleased to tell you all about it. Now. Relax, gentlemen, Let's listen to mister Myers read us his story. Go ahead, Myers.
Speaker 8: This is to certify that I, Walter J. Myers, contrary to all good newspaper ethics, used an unchecked rumor as the base of a news item in my paper. The rumor turned out to be false. It destroyed the reputation of Professor Kenneth Lumsdon. I also instructed Michael Beamish to repeat the item yesterday in a story concerning doctor Roger Lumsdon, his son. Yesterday's story deliberately and in a sensational manner, delineated doctor Lumsdon in such a way as to defame his character. I, as editor of this paper, will do anything doctor Lumson suggests in order to correct the error in the public's mind.
Speaker 6: That's it not in view of what happened to my father. This reads like a confession of murder.
Speaker 10: You know now that you killed my father with printer's inc. You admit that, don't you, Myers? And you admit that not one of a New York paper handle this story the way you did.
Speaker 6: You admit that, don't you?
Speaker 8: Myus, I admit that beamish was he wrote a sloppish story. I'll fire and fire me.
Speaker 11: Wait a minute, mister Myers, I admit I stink, but I'm just learning.
Speaker 8: How bad I quit.
Speaker 6: I quit before I begin to think for life.
Speaker 11: You can take your lousy scandal sheet and hire some more little gossip pickers.
Speaker 6: I'll get a job on.
Speaker 11: A decent paper if anyone will hire me after I've worked for you.
Speaker 6: What about you, Jorgison? I am afraid I have nothing to say.
Speaker 9: I'll just take what you're deming.
Speaker 6: Doc. It isn't Jorgison's fault. He wouldn't be on the night shift if you go along with Myers. But he's got a wife.
Speaker 11: And kids to think about.
Speaker 6: He Oh, he's okay, Doc, Well Myers, that leaves you. You seem to stand out in this little company ah, how about the bet you ready to pay?
Speaker 8: You You're not serious, you can't be it.
Speaker 6: I'm serious.
Speaker 8: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 6: You lost your beat, didn't you? But that's smurt it. You're crazy. You'll be caught. You'll be caught. You'll behind you, I know, he's Doc. Don't be a fool. You can't get away with and I Jogison. You're wrong, You'll be caught. No, no, I won't be caught. Get up, Myers, get up off that chair.
Speaker 8: No, no, I look, Doc, I'll do one of it in your saying, I'll give you.
Speaker 6: I'll give you a thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: I'll give you five thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: Shut up, bemiche yes, doctor, the lead on your story the night will read an I rate citizen shot and kill the managing editor of the register. You got that, Doc, Please don't be a fool. And Myers, No, no.
Speaker 5: You're mad, you're mad.
Speaker 6: Stop him, Georges and babies, stop him. I'll pay out that holy cow, Georgison, remember that, and you too, beaniche Ow Baxter. We haven't paid much attention to you and all this. You've got anything to say?
Speaker 11: No, No, I haven't, quick, Doc, When the leads out to the fire escape. There'll be a million guys in here in about thirty seconds.
Speaker 10: I guess I'll stick around bemiche there's only one place for me to go, no time.
Speaker 6: Don't do that. Stop him person, he's going to kill himself.
Speaker 5: Read all about it. Had a Trupp register shoting office. Doctor suicides. Read all about it.
Speaker 4: Editor Register shutting office, doctor suicide. Read all about it.
Speaker 1: You have just heard Correction Attraction twenty two on Radio City Playhouse. Correction was written by Charles Lee Hutchings and directed by Harry W.
Speaker 6: Jenkins.
Speaker 1: Doctor Lumsden was played by mister John Larkin. Other members of the cast included Lou Hall, Floyd Buckley, Bill Lipton, Joe Helglison, and Betty Harrison. The music was composed and conducted by doctor Roy Shield. Radio City Playhouse is supervised for the National Broadcasting Company by Richard P.
Speaker 6: McDonough. This is Harry Juncan again. Next week on Radio City Playhouse.
Speaker 2: I Remember Mama, based on the delightful story Mama's Bank Account by Catherine Forbes. The same story, characters are all back in their own inimitable charm, and the story deals with Papa's long and finally successful attempt to become a United States citizen. So join us next week for I Remember Mama Attraction twenty three on Radio City Playhouse.
Speaker 6: Good night, everybody.
Speaker 1: This program came to you from our Radio City studios in New York. Robert Warren speaking. This is NBC, the National Broadcasting Company,