Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Finally, we have some arrests.
Speaker 1: Three years after a teenager in the Bay Area killed himself after being sex towarded online. This is four men in the Ivory Coast. It's an international scheme. It has become targeting thousands of victims around the globe, particularly teenagers who are susceptible to this. You show a little interest online who you think is a girl sends you or a boy who sends you a nude photo. They asked for one of you, you sent one back, and then they say I'm going to send this to all your family and friends.
Speaker 2: If you don't pay up, you pay up.
Speaker 1: They continue to ask for more, you don't have it, and then you're in this dire place. There was something about this article that made me want to revisit the story, and it's the fact that the mother of the boy who killed himself really underlines a point that we had not made a big deal of, at least I don't remember us making a big deal out of it. When you're a teenager, everything's a big deal, and you feel like everything is the end of the world. You get in trouble at school, you crash your car, you do the X, Y or Z, you think it's over. It's the end of the world. You're ruined. Your life is ruined, your relationships are ruined, your parents hate you. Everything feels more, very much so. And part of that is just science. Because of what your hormones are doing, you are built to feel all the things that more intensely at that time. And the mother in this case is basically trying to put out a PSA to other teenagers.
Speaker 2: It's not the end of the world.
Speaker 1: If this guy had sent us the pictures you sent him, she's saying to her dead son, Essentially, we don't care. That's a blip on the radar of your life. Essentially, that is nothing. If you are a teenager that gets sextwarted like this and they're threatening to show your parents what you've sent, let them.
Speaker 3: Your parents love you. Your parents have already.
Speaker 2: Your parents have seen it.
Speaker 1: They have made mistakes themselves, everybody does. It is not worth ending your life over this. It is something that you won't remember. Hell, maybe you even will laugh about it in thirty years with your parents. But I mean it is not worth it is. Yes, it's embarrassing, it's awful you have to go through it.
Speaker 4: But it'll go away. And it's a great point. Teenagers feel things more. Everything is outsized in terms of the reality of what's going on. Embarrassment is probably at the tip top of the list in terms of the things that are felt so much stronger than they need to be when you're a teenager, and that would be the ultimate embarrassment perhaps to have that disseminated. Now, this is why this kid, seventeen year old Ryan Last, a high school senior from San Jose who was planning on being an agriculture biotech student. He was a straight a student, very trusting person, was planning on going to a way Washington State University. He had paid one hundred and fifty Okay, so woman claiming to be twenty years old sends some pictures.
Speaker 3: It ends up being this guy from the Ivory Coast.
Speaker 4: Ryan then sends one hundred and fifty bucks to try to prevent that his own image of being disseminated, and it crushed him quickly and he ended up committing suicide within hours of that. They found four people on the Ivory Coast and one of them was Alfred Kazi. Now they haven't said exactly what led them to Alfred Kazi, but at the time of his arrest at the end of April, he still had the messages that he sent to Ryan on his phone that demanded payment in exchange for not disseminating the pictures. There were others several alleged money laundering accomplices including oh Boy Umaru Wadra, Ogo, Musa Deabi, and Umar Sisai, all on criminal charges relating to this, relating to this thing because they were the ones. Those three helped him, helped Alfred apparently launder the money that was sent from the teenager and many other cases.
Speaker 2: This is a growing thread. We're not done with this.
Speaker 1: The FBI and Homeland Security between two thousand and one and twenty twenty three received more than thirteen thousand reports of online financial sextortion of miners.
Speaker 2: And those are just the cases that are.
Speaker 1: Being reported, primarily boys, by the way, and what did those result in?
Speaker 2: At least twenty suicides.
Speaker 1: There's a twenty percent increase in reporting of financially motivated sex stortion incidents involving miners and it's gone up twenty percent year to year last year over the previous two years. So this is something that's lucrative for the crooks. They're getting the money that they want, and unfortunately, tragically, teenagers are killing themselves rather than saying you know what.
Speaker 3: And you listen.
Speaker 4: You can't not have that conversation with a kid. We have to friend who has daughters, and one of the daughters was asked by a boyfriend, hey send me some some fun I think he referred to them as bathroom pictures, because that's what that's what kids are. That's how they relate to what should be a sexualized picture. Now, no, but that's in the bathroom. It's also a private place, right what I mean? But that's not You're not going to be in your bedroom. Let's just say that's not the sexiest venue I can think of.
Speaker 1: No, you know how I feel about bathroom self. But they had backgrounds matter.
Speaker 4: She was smart enough to bring it up to her parents, and they were strong enough and a great enough relationship where they were able to say this guy's dirt. This guy, first of all, you may think that he's doing it because he loves you. He's a teenage boy, And that's probably not the case, but you just don't want it floating around because guys can't keep that to themselves. He's going to show his friends. Assume that he's going to show everybody.
Speaker 1: If he likes you, he'll do what it takes to see it in real life.
Speaker 3: I guess that's sure. That's also a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't give away the milk for free cows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to make sure I tell my daughter, Hey, cow, that's a good that's a good opening to any conversation.
Speaker 2: Uh, all right, you.
Speaker 3: Come here, move cow. I want to have a conversation with you about your milk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Money can buy you class, but it can also buy your murder. We've learned this time and time again. Riverside County DIA's office is opening up this cold case out of Palm Springs and Uphill Battle, they say, because they're fighting against time, and quite some time has gone by since October twelfth, nineteen seventy eight, that is when the murder in question took place. We're talking about Edward and Sophia Friendly. They had relaxed in their Palm Springs desert dream home and oasis tucked up against the Santa Sinto Mountains. This was a neighborhood where Liberaci lived Elizabeth Taylor Peter Lawford. At the time, their housekeeper was there to make dinner. The dinner was in the oven, where it would stay because the two were murdered and never got to eat dinner. These two people were San Francisco elites. Sophia Friendly one of the most striking young socialites in her day. She was seventy one at the time of her murder, still looking at her best. That evening she had even donned a gown and heels for dinner. Her husband, Edward, had poured himself a drink and dinner was in the oven. But in the morning, a pool maintenance worker would arrive at the residence on Camino del Sore and noticed that something wasn't right well. He looks through the window he sees Edward had been shot through the head on the couch. Sofia was later found splayed out on the hallway, shot from behind.
Speaker 2: No sign of force entry.
Speaker 1: Neighbors had not heard any sort of scuffle, had not heard a thing, and you know Edward was pretty deaf at the time, he wouldn't have heard someone creeping up behind him, especially with the television that loud. No one could understand who would want to kill this elderly couple, But family secrets began to spill out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Edward was her second husband. She had originally married a guy named Curtis Hutton. They had a couple of kids. They had a boy and a girl, but that one didn't last. It was nineteen fifty three when Sophia then married ed friendly real estate agent once worked as the manager of a racetrack in sam Bruno. They had five children together through previous marriages.
Speaker 1: Now, remember Sophia is a young socialite, in fact San Francisco Royalty. Her family had a fortune from Pope and Talbot, which was the lumber company that essentially built San Francisco during the Gold Rush. Her debutante ball took an entire floor of the Saint Francis five hundred guests when she entered society in nineteen twenty three. So, as you can imagine, Sophia wasn't really your motherly figure, in fact, not at all extremely selfish, she was said to be. She spent so much money. She never really cared for the children anyway. In the early seventies, she and the husband, the second husband, decided to sell their home in Pacific Heights, which is just about as rich as you can get in San Francisco, and they used some money to move to Palm Springs.
Speaker 2: Now this was all a shock to all the adult children.
Speaker 1: You're doing what you're selling the Pacific Height zone, which is just a mountain of money, I mean some of the fuld time, old time, old time million dollars.
Speaker 4: Some of the adult children apparently were named on the deed and claimed that well, if you sell it, we are we get some of that money.
Speaker 2: Right, So that starts to be a legal battle.
Speaker 1: And in fact, two years before this couple is murdered, they altered their will to disinherit the children who were fighting with them. I don't know how you can do that if someone's listening on the listed on the deed, if the kids are listed on the deed, which seems odd to me. Are your kids listed on your deed? No, it's like all in a trust, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: But anyway, now they they concentrate the adult kids, concentrate on ed friendly and suggest that he was a man that needed money, and you know she obviously coming from a family of wealth and notoriety, she had.
Speaker 2: It his way. But Edward Hutton is the son.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry ed Friendly the husband, despite his Ivy League education, couldn't hold a job. Twelve different brokerages that he worked at he fired. Around the time that Edward was disinherited by his mother, his father sent him a letter and said that you, as my son, love every as much as but as a man, I cannot say that you have amounted too much. Thirty eight years old, no steady job, certainly no future to look forward to. Take a look at your life. I mean, what an This is an incredible letter to send to the son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, detectives there in Palm Springs certain that they knew their killer. There were no signs of a break in. There was a guy who they were friendly with who turned out to be a bit of an international spy, a guy by the name of Christiansen Andreas Christiansen. Several months before the shooting, this guy apparently came in through Europe. He was described by one detective as kind of James Bond character, and he had met the son and met him in London. That is kind of where it's centered around this guy that leaves no paper trail at all, the international spy guy. In fact, the son's wife at one point says to detectives, have you ever met anyone you know for somewhere for some years, but you never know where they're from, where they went to school, where their family is.
Speaker 2: He was like a cipher. He never talked about any of it.
Speaker 1: Now, to me, in my untrained eyes, it's obvious that the son who got the letter from his parents saying we love you, but you never amounted to anything, who was cut out of the will, cut out of the share of the Pacific Heights home, that he would hire this guy as a hit man to kill the parents because he had money coming to them and to him in that.
Speaker 4: Event, from the original marriage he had from his father who was the first husband exactly.
Speaker 1: I don't know why that that's not obvious. I mean, just reading through the store, that's obviously what happened. This guy, Christiansen, had no reason to kill them. He's got no footprints, he leaves no fingerprints. He's somewhere in Europe. They don't know if he's dead or alive. That's a classic hit man. That's like the best type of hit man. You bring him in from another country, he takes out the hit and you never hear from him again. He meets people. Nobody knows who that guy is, perfect hit man. So where is everybody now? Well, the son who I think ordered the hit is living somewhere in Mexico, because that's what you do after you hire a hitman to kill your parents and get the money. And Christensen the hit man, in my opinion, his whereabouts are unknown. They don't know, like I said, if he's dead or alive. But yet they've reopened the case in Riverside County.
Speaker 4: They did catch up with that guy in like nineteen eighty one, and he said some things that would have connected him to the case, Like he was in southern California, he did go to Palm Springs. He may have had a forty five caliber weapon, the same caliber weapon that was used to kill the couple, and that he took it apart and threw it down the train toilet like a good hit then but then stop talking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it is weird, weird mystery.
Speaker 1: If you need help with any other cold cases, you call us great here it comes.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kf I A M six forty.
Speaker 2: Do we have any animal noises?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Just do Robin.
Speaker 4: Do we have an animal thing that we have somewhere on the board that there's something that goes now?
Speaker 2: Are that is a big I'm gonna never.
Speaker 3: Makes it so hard to believe. I still say our animal round up, we got a few animals.
Speaker 4: Start with a couple of birds get into some tigers, the first one up out of Richmond.
Speaker 3: People are saying.
Speaker 4: Birds are being killed at an alarming rate, and guess who the bad guy is utility companies.
Speaker 1: Neighbors say more than fifty birds have plummeted to the ground after perching on a specific stretch of power line. You hear a loud pop, then you see a bird fall dead to the ground. Residents say the pop sounds like a bb gun or a firecracker, and it's an exploding bird.
Speaker 2: That is awful. It is not funny, not funny at all.
Speaker 3: That's awful.
Speaker 1: Neighbors have posted signs on poles warning of the danger. Well, the birds can't read the signs.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm assuming it's for people walking.
Speaker 2: Here go the people. It's killing the birds, So what are they gonna do about it?
Speaker 4: Pg and he says it's not their problem? Of course, not said. They have shared that the birds show no evidence of electrocution. Their deaths were caused by trauma, potentially from a pellet or a BB gun or a slingshot. PG and need is not believe there's an issue with the electrical equipment and agrees that the birds were not electrocuted.
Speaker 1: I see you're exploding birds, and I raise you tigers. The fate of four Bengal tigers who live near Hemet is up in the air. Apparently the owners of a sanctuary have been evicted, so now we don't know where to put the tigers.
Speaker 2: Obviously you can't just leave them there.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 1: Because you can't leave Bengal tigers free in a neighborhood. They'll tiger, tiger is going to tiger?
Speaker 3: Oh okay?
Speaker 1: Would you like a tiger, a Bengal tiger roaming your cul de sac?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: But I would stay inside if there was a tiger in my cul de sack.
Speaker 1: If somebody held tigers in your neighborhood and was evicted, would you be down with the tigers just being set free. Probably not, I'm going to say probably not.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, there's some wild land that's just a couple of blocks away. They could make their way over there and just go tiger out wild.
Speaker 1: So now apparently the eviction notice has been served, but the tigers have not been moved. Of course, these things don't take effect right away. The sanctuary is asking for an emergency hearing from a judge in order to get access to the property that they've been locked out of, trying to get the tigers by the end of the week to another sanctuary out of the state. Did anybody else know that there were bangaled tigers and a sanctuary in Hemet?
Speaker 2: That was news to me.
Speaker 1: And when do you get to start calling it a sanctuary? You know, you're Mike Tyson. You've got tigers and other exotic animals. You get to just buy them and then call it a sanctuary or you illegally keeping those animals.
Speaker 4: Well, a tiger, you're going to have to have a permit here in California for I would assume, so you call yourself a sanctuary and apply for the permit. I don't know OURPV is sliding into the ocean, and before it does so, the noisy peacocks may drive people out of there. Since last year, the pea fowl population in OURPV has increased to thirty one has increased thirty one percent to two hundred and fifteen birds.
Speaker 1: I almost hit one with my car yesterday. Not in Rancho Palace verdict, No, but no, I have them in my neighborhood. So at this point they are going to humanely trap and relocate some of them to maintain a population of about one hundred and thirty. They're going to take the birds to Delaware or something, ship them somewhere where.
Speaker 4: No, they're not going that far San Diego, Ventura, Bakersfield, Palmdale, Fresno.
Speaker 3: Maybe a couple in.
Speaker 1: The rich people are sending the birds to the poor communities, is what I'm hearing.
Speaker 2: They don't want to deal with the nuisance.
Speaker 4: So I was just going to they are a nuisance, right, I mean, yeah, everybody thinks of peacocks and they think they are.
Speaker 2: Very cluel but they're loud.
Speaker 3: And they're messy. They message.
Speaker 1: You know, I haven't seen that. I've heard that they can be a little bit of a situation. What do they taste like I've never eaten peacock. Would you like me to prepare you some peacock? I don't know how I would do that. I'm not much of a you know, skinning and feathering type of a person.
Speaker 4: Okay, if you have this very strange concern that nuclear war is going to stop your vacation, there are plans in place to keep airlines running in the event of a nuclear exchange.
Speaker 3: I saw this article. I was a fascinated by it. We'll talk about we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: Got a Biden health update to get to coming up in swamp Watch after Deprah's news at the top of the hour. I don't know why we are kept in the loop of former president's health reports, but we are.
Speaker 3: I think it's just a curiosity more than anything.
Speaker 1: Why did we have to hear about every uti Jimmy Carter had That was so unnecessary?
Speaker 2: Yeah, airlines, that was a bit much.
Speaker 1: It was airlines are taking steps to ensure they can keep flying. E and after the outbreak of nuclear wars, it's a terror in the skies of.
Speaker 5: Pike.
Speaker 2: Is zero ni lay the day off, Roger, Get off my plane, Roger Rogers, what's our vector?
Speaker 5: Victor?
Speaker 2: Enough is enough?
Speaker 3: I have handed with these mucky pipe snakes on this.
Speaker 5: Money, it's Gary and Shannon's Terror in the Skies on KFI.
Speaker 4: There is an insurance company called Gallagher, the world's largest, largest largest aviation insurance broker, and in the old days, back to the nineteen fifties, when airline travel was becoming humongous, at about the same time when there was a threat of nuclear annihilation as more countries were developing and stockpiling nuclear weapons.
Speaker 3: The policy on the books right now is that.
Speaker 4: In the event of a single nuclear detonation, all civil aircraft worldwide would be grounded. Based on the assumption that that is the beginning of the end, that all of humanity is about to die, you might as well put that vacation to Bali on hold, and that the development of tactical nuclear weapons, the smaller yield weapons has changed the thinking on that. So Gallagher, the world's largest aviation insurance broker, started working on a new plan for a nuclear war, or at least nuclear exchange. After Vladimir Putin talked about using potential weapons nuclear weapons against Ukraine a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: And the thinking now.
Speaker 4: Is, you've got these smaller tactical nuclear weapons that could be used in individual theaters or individual battle spaces, that wouldn't otherwise affect large swaths of the earth, and wouldn't necessarily mean that there is a global nuclear exchange that's about to take place.
Speaker 1: Airlines find workarounds for whatever challenges they face, safe corridors, minimum heights so that ground air missiles can't reach them.
Speaker 2: Why would they be grounded? Now?
Speaker 1: Volcanic ash clouds affect big areas, but the world keeps flying.
Speaker 3: So here's what they have figured out. Again.
Speaker 4: This is the world's insurance broker, aviation insurance broker named Gallagher. They have put together a fifteen member group that would meet within about four hours of that nuclear detonation and evaluate the threat to airlines on a country by country basis.
Speaker 2: Is this a little.
Speaker 1: Add on for your insurance plan if you're an airline.
Speaker 3: Great question.
Speaker 1: I would like the nuclear war supplemental package, thank you.
Speaker 4: They say that the cost of any scheme in the proposed plan, it would provide each carrier with about a billion dollars per plane of war coverage for passengers and third parties.
Speaker 1: And it would amount to less than the price of a cup of coffee. A cup of coffee per passenger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the premiums wouldn't be that much, they say, but it would that it would be easily passed on to ticket price passed on in the ticket prices that you pay.
Speaker 1: Sampanies are so shady shady asses.
Speaker 2: Aren't they.
Speaker 4: If you go on and you buy your plane ticket and it's like, hey, it's seventy nine bucks for you to go from Burbank to Vegas. Plus there's a little bit for the you know, the Las Vegas Tourism Bureau.
Speaker 3: There's a little bit for the Bob Hope International.
Speaker 2: Area for ninety nine for nuclear war Bob.
Speaker 3: For ninety nine for nuke coverage.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up next, we've got a Joe Biden health update. So something was found in a routine checkup on Biden. We'll tell you that along with everything else coming out of Washington and Swampwash.
Speaker 4: You miss any Yeah, I was gonna say you missed any part of the show. Make sure you go back and check out the podcast. If you're on the iHeart app, just type in Gary and Shannon you'll see all the podcasts there, including that Weekend Fix episode that shows up on Saturdays, and comment. Share the podcast, rate the podcast, subscribe to the podcast.
Speaker 3: All that helps us.
Speaker 2: Love the pod.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Just your heart? What happened with your finger?
Speaker 2: Give it a little tap, little tap, tap tap. I don't know it got weird.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on kf I am six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app