Speaker 1: Nice day today seventy seven for the high or low slod to mid seventies, partly cloudy skies, maybe a nicely to shower thunderstorm overnight down to forty nine, clear skies for the eclipse tomorrow, mostly cloudy eighty one overnight down to sixty one, and a rainy Saturday, so your weather is expected. One of two inches of rain and some gusty winds are possible. Seventy three for the high right now forty three. Time for traffic from.
Speaker 2: You see how Traffic Center. When it comes to stroke, every second counts. That's why the UC Health Comprehensive Strokes Center is the clear choice for rapid by saving treatment. Monmritt and you see health dot com. He spend two seventy five continues to crawl between four seventy one and the emergency road work at the New Richmond Excent with a right wing blocked off. There's a wreck on twenty eight near Woods Point and below Buckweet. Also an accident on Montgomery Road. Bubbo, Columbia, Chuck Ingram on fifty five KROO. See the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's a thirty two fifty five kerr. See talk station. Get a little bit of late star but better late than never with I Media bas expert Jay Ratliff. Welcome back, my dear friend, Jay. It's always a pleasure to have you on the morning show.
Speaker 3: Pleasan good morning.
Speaker 1: Let's start out of order because I want to give a little more time to the first story about the passenger shaming. Let's just jump to one that made the stack as stupid this week Air India passengers stopping up the toilets on the airplane. What the hell, Brian, I've.
Speaker 3: Said this before, I'll say it again. You'll never hear me make that arrogant claim of well, I've seen it all because fails to recognize people can still come up with ways to surprise us. And this stems from a fourteen hour scheduled flight from Chicago to Delhi when eight of the twelve lavatories and yes, I said eight of the twelve stopped working because passengers had flushed clothing down the lavatories. Now, I remember a number of years ago with Gilbert and Narley, with our friend Gary Burbank, he called one of the airlines panic that he he was in trouble with the law because he flushed a foreign objects down the toilet. It was a chicklet made in Mexico, and he thought for sure he'd broken some sort of FAA rule because there is a sign in the lavatory saying no foreign objects in the lavatories. I guess we need to expand that. My attorney friends to clothing is not allowed down the I just well, you know, we went around the industry since October of eighty one. I've never heard of a story where the clothing caused the laboratory to stop working. Certainly not at eight of the twelve Okay, the.
Speaker 1: Flight and see now that was my point because I wanted to ask you about that. This sounds like, you know, it was a concerted effort. It was an intentional thing to sabotage the toilets for some reason.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's sabotaged, Brian, or if it's a thing that I'm just oblivious to. But they were five hours into the fourteen hour flight and they turned around and came all the way back to Chicago. Because anytime we're on a flight where you don't have an appropriate number of lavatories that are operational, you're not to operate the flight. So at that point in time, it was it's quicker to go back and land than it is to go forward in land. And to think that it wasn't a mechanical situation with the laboratories, which happens from time to time, but it was the fact that people were flushing clothing down the last When the story hit my my desk, I thought, okay, this is you know, somebody's having fun with something, because this isn't a real thing. And I saw report after report after report after report, and yeah, because I'm always very guarded on anything you and I talk about, I want to make sure that I've got all the facts, and this one just blew me away. But yeah, eight of twelve lavatories on the Boeing Triple seven inoperative because of clothing that people had flushed.
Speaker 2: Down the lavage.
Speaker 1: Again, it made the stack as stupid earlier this week, Well, pause and bring day ratlif back talker. Is it actionable to passenger shame plus a lot more. I'll be right back after these brief words.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC dot com. All right, Gary selfing here for shull Off TV station.
Speaker 1: It is a Friday. He always enjoyed closing up to pick about Teressey morning shows on Thursdays, with iheartmediavas next work Jay raight Low. So let's resume the conversation and this next topic goes back to an incident I think that happened in December. Remind my listeners about that, and we've got a new development on it, which is well a lawsuit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a twenty nine year old. She was flying low cost carrier South American carrier Gaull GOL. She boarded her flight Brian, she noticed that a child he was seated in her window seat. She asked the child, you know she could sit there, and he moved. Everything was nice and once the passenger sat down, the mom of the child approached her saying, hey, is it okay if my son sits in your seat? Now, apparently he had another seat, another window seat, but he preferred her seat, and this traveler polightly refused, saying no, I'm I'm just going to sit here. And that's when the moms started yelling at her and takes out her phone and starts recording her say she was a bad person. Well, this video, as most travel videos do, went viral more than two million views, and this woman was forced to quit her job as a banker. Lived in seclusion at her home as a result. And now she's seen the airline and the passenger who took the video saying they were trying to shame her when all she was trying to do was sit in the seat she had paid for. And we're seeing so many times I hear from somebody I know at least once a week that's on a flight where there's normally a family of a bunch that bored and they started asking a bunch of people to change their seats that they paid for to accommodate them so they can all sit together. Now, keep in mind, this family could have gotten the seats together, could have paid whatever they had for the family to sit together. But somehow we're the bad guys when we say no, thank you and bright some of these requests are so ridiculous. It's like, can I have your aisle seat in row eight so you can sit in my middle seat in row third?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's a hard.
Speaker 3: But people are upset when you say no to that. I mean, I just you know. And sadly, this is getting more and more prevalent as the behavior on board airplanes continues to spiral. In fact, a term you're going to. We've talked about gatelights, the people that try to board the flight earlier that they're supposed to. There's a new term out there that's called speakers come. These are people that are on board an airplane that fail to use their earbuds air buds where they have the recording the noise just to them, not to everybody else. Right now, we've got so many people on planes that, for whatever the reason, just play their their electronic device at high volumes where it's not only where they can hear it, but everybody was in seven rows and light intents are trying to tell the people to stop it. But we're seeing more and more of that kind of behavior. So it's getting to the point where it's just absolutely ridiculous to fly. And yeah, I mean speakers come. If you hear that, that's what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: I always learn a new term from you. I think this has become a common occurrence with you, Jay Ratlers.
Speaker 3: I'm not making these up. It's sad that we have behaviors so bad we have to assign names to it, but hey, that's what we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and don't be that person. You know, if you were on an airplane, would you want someone playing their favorite music, which might you might find offensive or not within your liking, sitting next to you, and that is just the most inconsiderate thing. Jay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you and I can't comprehend it because I know how you were raised. I know, yes, there's no way on God's green earth we would do that. But the idea that not only do people feel comfortable doing it, they take exception when you ask them to please, could you turn that down? So you know only four rows can hear it instead of seven. It's just yeah, Now, there's been times where you have people on board the airplane decide to watch porn in the flight, oh my god, and say would you please turn that off? Because other passengers could find it offensive. So you just have this behavior that is just permeating from flights these days that you know, yes, the number of irate passengers is down compared to years before, but some of this behavior is just beyond my ability to comprehend because I don't think that way, and thank God I don't think that way because it just makes no sense to me.
Speaker 1: I am still reeling when you said someone had the audacity to watch porn on an air airplane.
Speaker 3: Lord, my irregular occurrence, Oh my god. And you I've talked about these flight attendants already not getting the respect that they deserve from the people who fly that are responsible for protecting incident, emergency and all the things they have to do. Just add that on top of it where they have to, you know, tell people to try to act in something that would be considered a civil fashion of some kind. I don't know, I just you know. That's why they continue to get my undying gratitude because of the crap they have to put up with people that fly every day.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Well, it's pause, we'll bring it back. We'll talk about Southwest with a new baggage policy and red reductions summer capacity for airlines just in time for the summer travels season. More with Jay Ratliffe after these brief words.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: We know you're loving the new one. More time for the nine first one and weather forecasts. Isolated showers thunders us are possible today. We'll see high in the load the mid seventies with partly cloudy skies, clear overnight for the lunar clips three am. If you're up forty nine for the low eighty one, the high tomorrow with partly the mostly cloudy skies and the overnight partly cloudy in sixty one and the rain comes in heavy on Saturday. Expecting some severe weather. One to two inches of rain and gusty winds are possible. Seventy three for the high, closing out at forty six. Time for final traffic.
Speaker 2: Chuck from the UCL Trainphic Center. When it comes to stroke, every second count. So it's why the UC Health Comprehensive Stroke Center. It's a clear choice from rapid by saving treatment. Learn more. ABE see how dot com you spend two seventy five continues slow Just after you got pan us forth seventy one to the roadwork at the new Richmond Day, I said, right, vans block, there's an accident on the web shoulder southbound seventy five slows through Lachland southbound seventy one heaviest between two seventy five and Red Bank. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station, Hey.
Speaker 1: Forty nine, I think about FARRACD talk station one more with I heard Mediadas expert j Rat left all right, moving over got a new in Southwest Airlines baggage policy.
Speaker 3: Yep, they're you know, bags fly free right well as of me I think twenty sixth or twenty eighth, that's not going to be the case. Southwest has announced that they're going to have to start charging for checked bags, and this is after fifty four years of bags fly free. Now, if you are a member of their frequent flyer program, I believe you're still going to get the two bags if you have the credit card for through Southwest, I think one bag, but everyone else is going to be paying for the further bags. And of course, you know, Southwest is seen for years lines their competitors making hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars a year in bag faith and they have constantly consistently said.
Speaker 2: No, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, the Elliott management group, who came in to try to do it hostile takeover here a while back, has really forced Southwest into adopting things they had not done before, such as a signed seating which is supposed to begin sometime next year, premium seats where people can pay for more leg room, and now for bags that the passengers are going to have to pay for. And we don't know yet what the cost is going to be, but it is a it's a step that Southwest had to take, and pretty much my only surprise is that it took so long. I thought they would have done this years ago because Southwest used to make money falling out of BED. I mean, it was they would make money when everybody else was losing money decade after decade. But the problem is that right now they've changed their business practice. They used to be successful in flying in and out of smaller, not regional airports, but smaller airports where they could get in and out quickly, limited flight activity, very few, little congestion, and they could use that silver revenue tube for five segments a day. Well, then they decided, well, we're going to go to La Guardia, We're going to fly in out of it Atlanta, We're going to do this, this and this, and now they're dealing with airports that are known for some of their flying delays. And now that aircraft can't be used for five segments a day, it's three or four, and all of a sudden they start making much less in revenue. Well, obviously they're hurting, and this is a step that they're going to be taking to try to get it back, and of course passengers are either understanding or ticked because now they have to pay per bags. Well you had fifty four years, come on. And the other thing is I like that Amtrak had fun with this. They put out a tweet saying, I guess we're the only ones where bags go free, so come on. So I love it when a business has.
Speaker 1: Fun like that. Yeah, but the Amtrak train will most likely be delayed and those always yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is all true. But I'm still going to give them credit for having fun. Oh yeah, I'm glad Southwest is making the changes they need to make because they're a great airline. They have been struggling over a lot of different self inflicted issues over the last several years, and they're trying to turn things around, and I think that they're going to be able to do it. And look, this is an airline that the passengers are the employees rather At one time, they only had four airplanes in the early early days, and for them to make money, they had to turn that airplane in ten minutes, that's six hundred seconds, and they found a way to make it happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, a lot of times they were business travelers and a lot of things have changed since those early days. But the bottom line is, if anybody can pull this turnaround off, it's going to be the people at Southwest.
Speaker 1: Airlines all right, Well, just in time for summer traveling vacation season, airlines are reducing summer capacity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In fact, Delta announced late last week that they are reducing their future guidance. They're slashing some of those expectations in half. So as a result, they're saying that the economy is starting to slow or the future demand for travel is slowing, so they, as a result, are going to reduce the number of flights during the busy and incredibly lucrative summer travel season. A Brian, This scares me because if we see Delta and now United and other carriers do that where they're reducing the number of seats during that busy summer travel season, it means that the fares for the remaining seats are going to.
Speaker 1: Go up, up, up, up, up up up.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping that most of the people listen to us that li every summer bought their tickets six seven months ago. But if you've not yet done it, I would suggest quickly doing so, because the fares are only going to go up, and you know, grab the trip cancelation insurance to protect yourself and make your reservations as quickly as you can, because as this trend continues, the fares are going to go up, go up, and it's going to be considerably more to fly this summer than it was last simply because we have a few receipts.
Speaker 1: Sound advice from Jay Ratliff as always, and finally, as we always do to part before we part company, Hub Delights for today Today.
Speaker 3: Los Angeles has given us issues, some big time issues there. If you're flying to and through there, Ryan, the real story is going to be later tonight over the next couple of days where we're going to storm through the central in the eastern part of the United States. If you're gonna be flying over the next forty eight hours, please make sure the airlines have a way to get a hold of you. That way, if your itinerary is impacted, they can get a hold of you long before you get to the airport. Maybe give you options where you can decide, you know, what you would like to have if something happens to your flight. But yeah, it's gonna be problematic over probably through Sunday, so if you're scheduled to fly, just make sure the airlines can get a hold of you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jay Rattler for all the information and sound advice. I look forward to another segment of this top or another segment of our aviation discussion next Thursday, and between now and then, best of health you and your better half.
Speaker 3: Imagine the fun that will happen between now and then, brother, But I'll.
Speaker 1: Be right, no doubt about it. It's going to be a long list expected. Thanks Jay, have a great day. Fay fifty five, afty five krsite talk station, Corey Bowm and Merrill Canada joined the program this morning. Got quite a few things to talk about on his campaign trail as well as a fundraiser that's coming up April eighth at price ol Chili. Donald and Eel about the state of the state with Dwine and the poll that was taken about what's important to Ohiolans that preceded that, and find out if Mike got it right on the issues podcast fit five car Sea dot Com. Senator Bill Blessing will Empower You seminar tonight beginning at seven with the eighteen fifty one Center talking about property tax and Senator Blessing with some legislative ideas on helping you with property tax. Podcast and the conversation tonight empower You America dot org beginning at seven plus on my conversation with Jay Ratliffe on the podcast page at fifty five cars dot com. Tune in tomorrow with Tech Friday Dave Hatter every Friday at six thirty Joe Strecker, Thank you for all the work you do producing the program. God love you and folks have a great day. Stick around. Glenbeck's coming up next.
Speaker 2: Covering Trump's first one hundred day. Every day we stand on the verge of the four greatest years in American history. Fifty five KRC, the talk station. This report is sponsored by