Speaker 1: When you ask somebody like what you're grateful for, like I don't know, your brain instantly goes to, like, well, what would be the correct answer here?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: With my kids, one of the things that I talked to them a lot about is like, you can't say I don't know. You can say anything else, but you can't say I don't know. Because here's the thing. If you don't know, nobody knows. You're the only one that knows you. You're the only one that gets to discover you. Take the I don't know, like out of the equation, and what is the first thing that pops? I mean, it could be like, I'm grateful that you know I have this water here in front of me. Okay, grin it's those baby steps, like that's the start. Yeah it is, And think, wow, what an amazing thing, Marcy, that you're teaching him this.
Speaker 2: This is Wake Up with Marcy, a space for honest conversations about healing, recovery, and women's wellness. I'm Marcy Hopkins. Take a breath, You're safe here. Let's begin. Hello all, and welcome back to Wake Up with Marcy. And if you are new here, welcome. I'm so grateful that you are here, whether you're watching or listening. I'm your host, Marcy Hopkins. I'm myself am an author, TV host, motivational speaker, mental health advocate, and a woman in long term recovery. And on wake Up, we have honest conversations, real conversations about healing, recovery, self discovery, and what it takes to rebuild your life. And if today's conversation resonates with you, please make sure to like, comments, subscribe, and share this episode with someone who may need to hear it. Today's episode is for anyone who's ever felt stuck. Maybe you've been waiting for more confidence, or waiting to not be afraid, or maybe you've been waiting for that perfect opportunity. Or maybe you've convinced yourself that someday you'll finally become the person you know you're meant to be. But what if someday starts today? My guest today is Becky Vaness. Becky is an author, speaker, entrepreneur, and creator of the one hundred day workbook What Future Are You Willing To Wake Up To? And it's companion book, Begin Before You Feel Ready. Through her work, Becky helps people stop waiting for that perfect moment and begin creating their future through awareness, choice, daily practice, and intentional action. Her message is simple, but it's completely life changing. You don't have to feel ready to begin, you just have to be willing. And today we're going to learn how to get comfortable with beginning. Now, let's meet Becky. Becky, welcome to Wake Up with Marcy.
Speaker 1: Hey, Marcy, I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 2: It's great to have you. I can't wait to have this conversation with you. And I always love to kind of rewind and find out what brought you to this place. And I know there's usually like a moment that we have right and for you, there was that moment that you described to me early on about that you were sitting in a car, in your car in tarp and springs and you were feeling scared and uncertain about your family's business and finances and things were changing for you. Can you take us back to that day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I can. Thank you well. And you know what's very interesting because when you have those big moments, you kind of remember, like I live in Florida. I remember driving and it was sunny, beautiful out, and I'm like, how was the world so perfect when my world is falling apart right now. No, yeah, I remember actually really vividly, like I'm driving my hands around the steering wheel. We had an amazing real estate business. We basically did like airbnbs before that was even a thing, and we went from you know, making nothing to making millions and it was very exciting actually, and then it wasn't right like then it just wasn't. And I have actually known of my husband for over thirty years now at that time, you know, maybe it was twenty years or something, and he was just done and it was really hard for me to see him like that. He you know, he's such a strong, dominant man, and at that time he just was broken. And I remember driving thinking I need to do something here. And you know, from this time, I have three children and I was like the lunch room mom. I took care of the kids. And you know, when I was younger, I started college but I never finished. So for me, I was like, what am I going to do? Like how can I you know, how can I help here? And really kind of feeling really down about myself right Like I didn't have a college degree. I was a bartender at one time and you know, nothing wrong with bartending, but you know, at this point, like I quit drinking, you know, I no longer drink, and when am I going to go back to being a bartender with three little kids? And so, you know, you have those moments in your life where you're like, I know nothing, what can I possibly do to contribute? But I knew I needed to do something something at that point, and so I started asking a bunch of questions. And you know, because I knew what I was doing is really I'm beating myself up. You how, I was like, I'm not enough, I know nothing. I'm a stay at home mom. Now I always actually have to do say I was always like the rocket fuel behind my husband though, you know, like with our businesses. I don't want to say I wasn't a part of it, but I was more of a behind the scenes, uh, part of everything that was, you know, happening.
Speaker 2: So before you continue, because I want to ask you because you've said some stuff about some mindset, right like you you had the realization that you were beating yourself up, right, you were asking yourself in depth questions and a lot of times that happens. You said you stopped drinking. Yeah, Now did you stop drinking because you needed to stop drinking and then you did the work so you were able to now approach this situation in a different way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. I come from, you know, was maybe a similar background for many people. My father was, you know, raging alcoholic. And I started getting older, I noticed some of the same patterns that I was doing for my environment. And once I had children, I was like, I actually want them to have something different. Yeah, I want them to have something different in life. Now I want to say, like, am I in recovery? Yeah, but I also like to say, like I'm in discovery. That's kind of what happened for me, Like discovering new patterns, discovering something different from my family. So I became curious to a different life and made some drastic changes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And let me ask you. You said your husband it was tired. Was he just burnt out? He couldn't do it anymore more? I mean, like you say, you're you're making millions, right, the company is doing really well. Somebody might say, well, poor you, what's what's the hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we were doing really well and then until we just weren't, you.
Speaker 2: Know, started falling apart. The real estate business change that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it drastically changed. Which you know, these moments in life are such a gift and I can see that as a gift now. At the time it wasn't a gift. We really never were entrepreneurs before. My parents weren't and I was never. I don't know about you, but taught about finances. So what we got we spent mm hmmm. So you know when people say, wow, we made millions, you should have millions. Well, I'd love to say you're not a millionaire unless you actually have that in your bank. If you spend what you make, you just make more. You have more zeros behind your name. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other thing I just want to say it is like you're going through this really difficult time and it's like, now, how do I step up and support which you already were, I mean your full time mother. I mean you're doing the hard work, you have the hardest job there is, recognizing that. I mean, your husband is supporting you. And then you say you're the person behind the scenes. Yeah, we're the ones that do the supporting. I'm sure you support it in business, and you also were there to help him to support all of you. So and I just you know, one of the things that I love to talk about is we think we're giving up something, and you say that it's about discovery, right, and it is because what we're doing when we stop drinking is we're really getting our life back, right. And that was the first time I ever got curious. Also, so you know, just for those out there, like if you're thinking about drinking, like you're, I thought I was giving up something also, I was. I was giving up the way that I'd always coped in my life. Right, But you're really getting yourself back, and you look at life in a different way, and you do become curious, and you also become aware of your part in things. So now you're at this place you're asking yourself these questions. What came from that?
Speaker 1: Well, something actually phenomenal came from it. What I also like to say is it's these little increments that become this amazing thing. Right, there are these little moments, they're the daily questions then that actually create these big things. And I had no idea. I had no idea at the time.
Speaker 2: Now was overnight, right, No.
Speaker 1: I think with the society today, you see all these wonderful things on social media and you're like, wow, why do they get that? And I don't, and so you know, I'm here to tell you that it's these little increment things, and it was those questions instead. I had two options. Well I'm sure many options, but I had a couple options. I could have went to I know nothing, yeah and dismiss like what you just said, dismiss being the mom and the what I said earlier, like the rocket fuel behind my husband, because you know, like i'd like to say, he probably wouldn't have been able to do what he was doing without me going you got this. Of course, when these things come up, I'm like, okay, well what's next? Have this and and supportive, you know, and allowing him to discover him. And so by asking these questions what ended up showing up. And it was pretty quick, I have to say on this one, it was pretty quick. It was within a week a twelve dollars an hour marketing job, which I had to say a twelve dollars an hour because even at the time, I was like, oh, that's not going to cover it, Like that is not good. That's not going to think these these big bills and you know, these things that we've created, it's not going to fix it. But it had like this little nugget. It had like the spark to it that I was like, Okay, I don't know anything about marketing. I actually at this point, I don't even know what I know about anything. And so that twelve dollar an hour job I went and I was like, I like to have fun no matter what I do. And I was there and I had a blast, and just by chance, the lady from corporate office came in to watch me. You know, they like to see, you know, and in corporate they want to see who's talking to their customers. And this was a market research job. So I'm engaging with their customers, asking them questions, and they want to see, you know, who's there. And I've seen her and I did my thing. You know, I was just present with who I was talking to. It was a wonderful job. I didn't have to have a point of view about whether they liked something or what they didn't. I just had to help them discover, like what they liked about something, and sometimes people have a really hard time expressing that. And so she was like when we were done, she pulled me aside, and she's like, you are the most amazing person I've ever seen at this Yeah, well thank you. Yeah, and she said I want to hire you. Oh I said okay. She's like, do you have you know an LLC? And I was like in my mind, I was like no, but you know, we've done business. And I knew even though I didn't know, I was like, yeah, yeah, I do, Yes, yeah, I knew it. I just you know. And so she gave your card and she said call me on Monday. And I went home and I said that I needed what's my name going to be? And and and at the time we didn't have the money for that either.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, just say yes, right, Like, even if you're not ready or you're not prepared, or you're you're afraid, say.
Speaker 1: You're afraid, you have no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's the craziest thing that I found in life is that things show up, these little nuggets. Somebody has the information for me or you know, well, now you have the Internet and check GBT, you can figure anything out. I didn't have that. You know, wow that back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's incredible. It's been at an incredible supporter. But what I what I also hear you saying is like take a chance, right like you you took a job that maybe some people might say, well it was it's only twelve dollars, that's not going to help me, or that's beneath me and dismiss it exactly. But then it turned into this incredible opportunity for you. So you keep saying about asking questions and better questions. Why do questions matter so much when we are facing that uncertainty? And how can we get to a place where we even know what to ask ourselves so we can move forward?
Speaker 1: Well, if you noticed I mentioned earlier a lot of times to do in the market research, I find out people don't even really know how to express themselves and so these and you're like, how can a question help me? Well I noticed now after you know, asking those questions, instead of going into you know, I can't do this, it was like what can I do? That was my steering mole moment. What can I do? Who can I talk to? Where do I need to go? Show me? Yeah, and they showed me, and you know, and that's what was the beginning of it. And when I look at now, what I realize one of my favorite questions to ask is what am I amazing at that I have not yet even discovered. M that's a bit different than I don't know, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, yeah, we we all have. We all have amazing gifts. We truly do.
Speaker 1: Just like you said in You're a Mom, that is a gift. That is an amazing gift. How many things do we you know, dismiss that.
Speaker 2: School mm hmm yeah, I even right now, I've had some opportunities present. Yes, and I'm afraid. Yes, it's big, they ask, Yeah, But I keep telling myself like you, then you, then you just have to switch it. We have our little pity parts and we feel sorry or we feel down on ourselves. But then it's like, first of all, I do not believe this opportunity would have come to me if I couldn't do it. And and then you just in the way you talk to yourself, it's like, oh, I can do it, or I can be excited about this, or I can feel scared about it and feel overwhelmed by it. Like each little step like you're saying, you know, like that that moves you towards the thing you want. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Marcy, I've also found that fear and excitement are very similar energies.
Speaker 2: Yes, turn the fear into excitement, right, isn't that what they say?
Speaker 1: And you know, we talked a little bit about our childhood and for me, you know, any type of like spike or anything instantly was fear for me, Like you know, it's my nervous system. My dad would walk into the room and I had to figure out already how to adjust or anything unpredictable was bad and I had to really look at that. So by looking that, you know, at I blumped everything into one thing, anything unpredictable, which you know, taking a court for a job, I'm sorry, and doing things it's very unpredictable. Getting a new opportunity is very unpredictable. And so what I like to look at and ask myself, Wow, is this fear or excitement?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm yeah. And would you say though, like with the unknown, I feel a lot of people worry or they they feel out of control because they feel like they always want to control something. Yeah, right, Like what do you say to someone like that?
Speaker 1: Well, all I can say is from my own experience is that you know, take one step, It's just one step towards it and then you can always change your mind. Yeah, take the phone call, take the opportunity, and then you know, and then look at it, and once again, it doesn't have to be these big, you know, majestic, miraculous moments. It's those little steps. I trick myself. Yeah, I would trick myself into Okay, Gott, you.
Speaker 2: Knew about it.
Speaker 1: You know, just get on the phone call and see what happens, see what shows up. And you know, that's one thing. Like when I got hired, I had to go to the corporate office and at that moment, we had no money. Now they pay for everything. And I also knew the future I wanted to create, so I had to show up as that future mm hm. And how did I do that? Well? Without having money. I went to the mall and I bought a beautiful jacket. I still remember it was hot pink. Oh yeah, I cut the tags on uh huh, showed up with it. I wanted to be a certain energy and present myself as a certain person, and I did it.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, And then I.
Speaker 1: Took it back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I love that because you know what I feel like, how you show up is the energy you bring, be the energy when you walk in the room that you create a shift, right, But that but that does have to do a lot. And this is what I've gotten is more like that self love which comes confidence and you just believe in yourself in a different way.
Speaker 1: And how do you believe in yourself?
Speaker 2: Well, today I believe in myself because before I always looked out side of myself to get validation. And today because I learned to go within and connect with myself, connect with my higher power, get curious about myself, and that allowed me to start believing in myself more. And the more and more that I did that and took action, the more and more that I built confidence and I believed in myself and found that love for myself that I never had. So I want to I want to jump into your book begin before you feel ready, which is what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: I love it well, you know, and I do want to just say I love what you just said because what you're saying to me is that confidence you know, and how you do it actually doesn't come before you begin. It grows because you began.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't watching this and like, well it's easy for you guys hard that's so hard when it's getting used to the hard. And like I said, I love you know, tricking myself and taking that one.
Speaker 2: Step in that one choice, Like you have to be uncomfortable. It's going to be uncomfortable. Create change is uncomfortable. But like you're saying, I mean, I say, stay in the moment, stay in the day, take one one step forward each day which creates the change. Yeah mm hm, So you got to you got to take the action for anything to change. And then like it's so hard, Uh, it's hard to start, but that's where you have to do.
Speaker 1: You have to start, yeah, and take those little steps whatever that little step is for you. And you know you asked me, you know, like why did you know? I wrote a couple of books like why did I even you know, like why did you why did you do that? Well, because I became fascinated Marcy, like with one question, and that question was what actually creates like lasting change?
Speaker 2: M hm. And what did you get from that? Well?
Speaker 1: Your answer, I'd love to say, like I really try not to have an answer because once I decide something, then that's all it can ever be. I'm always like, if you notice I said a few times like my new thing is like I would love to discover this. I'd love to discover me. I'd love like I'm still discovering my books. Yeah, yeah, like you know, and I know that maybe sounds silly, but I actually, you know, those books came from like my experiences, and you know, you are like, why did you write your book?
Speaker 2: Same thing experience, my lived experience, And I just want to I want to help others to do to do the same, Like let me share what I have learned over these past almost eleven years with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like what worked for you? And then you become an inspiration because then you're like, wow, Marcy, did that? You know that's like like I can do that or like maybe if I tweet that a little bit more, or you know, do this or do that. Now that you have the inspiration, you do what works for you. And what I was really interested in is you know, not really motivation, not really inspiration. I want real change. Yeah, and I knew it was possible, yeah, like you know, Marcie, like I knew it was from the beginning.
Speaker 2: You know it was possible.
Speaker 1: Well I know what now you know? And so it's like you have to begin then to get that inspiration. You know, like if some people are like, well when did this, I'll start well, I could say it started with my steering whill you know, inspiration that started one piece of it. But what really started was when I was twenty, I started having anxiety attacks, real panic attacks. And so what actually motivated me now that I go back and look at it, and what a gift it was. And now I never thought i'd be able to say what a gift having a panic attack was, but I realized from those panic attacks. Luckily I got help. I seen a wonderful psychologist, and I'd learned that I actually was doing it to myself. Yeah, and you know, I was like, hey, his first tool was let's start writing down what you're thinking. And I was like, what do you mean? What am I thinking? I'm twenty years old? Yeah, nobody ever told me you think. Now, I know that sounds silly. I wasn't aware of what I was telling myself. I'm thinking, I don't. I don't think that's that's because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: What you're thinking when you realize that, I was like, wow, so this is I was telling myself horrendous things, you know, like like what you talk about in your book, like we kind of are a product of our environment.
Speaker 2: We're one hundred percent are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was pretty much chaos when I was young, and so I didn't realize it, but that was just what I did, and that kind of flowed over so here I am at twenty years old and I had a few things coming up twenty ish. You know, I was getting married, I was moving out of the house. A lot of big things then triggered. I was having some weird panic attacks meditating, Like I got to the point where at twenty I was like, wow, I can't see why people don't want to leave the house. And the gift in those panic attacks now that I realized, is that I never would have went on the journey of like the discovery of what I'm telling myself, what I'm thinking, and how that plays a part mm hmm in my daily life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that so much. It's pretty incredible when you can look at something that was so difficult in your life and look at it as a gift. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I knew at that point that I didn't want to kill myself, but I knew I didn't want to live like that any longer. There's a little bit of a difference, but I understood. I really understood why people dig themselves into a hole and they're like I'm done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was, so what's so interesting, like you and you brought it up the nervous system, right, is through all of this learning that it all goes back to our nervous system, right, and we're in that fight flight or freeze constantly, and if there's any any sort of addiction in the home or anger, that type of thing, like you're constantly on edge, like and I had that too with my grandfather had a horrible temper. There was alcoholism, my mother, there was sexual abuse. Like I was like, constantly not feeling safe right, But then you don't feel safe right, and then you get used to feeling that way all the time. Like so then as you get older, you keep putting yourself in those situations even though you say that's not what you want. But you had that wake up moment.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm still having those wake up moments and I'm still working on myself. I realized it was such a great Like these last couple of weeks, woo have been like who am I? And I had a really big one. I have a horse and he's a big horse and fifty you know, I'm learning to ride a horse and jump. My horse is an ex race horse even, you know, because when I go, I go big.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I realized every time I was going getting ready to ride, i'd have this something and I didn't have words for it, and I didn't I didn't quite understand it. And then one day I realized it was the unpredictability that would set off my nervous system. And fred Is my horse was a gift showed me that even recently, like last week or a week and a half ago, I was like, wow, anytime something is unpredictable, I decided I'm unsafe. When you're unsafe, like, I didn't really have the tools to trust myself, so anytime like I didn't trust anybody, myself or anybody in the situation to know that I'll know what to do when I need to know what to do. Those were things that I never was taught. And I'm you know, I'm learning because my dad was very unpredictable. My dad was like amazing when you walked in the door, or like we're getting beats, you didn't know. Yeah, And so when you're when you don't you know, feel safe and you have an unpredictability. Anything that can come up can slightly trigger that for you, you know, like a new opportunity. It's very unpredictable, so you know your nervous system. And then so well, okay, this is great that we're talking about it, but what do you do? Well? What I did is I start asking questions and remember, like I went back to like, wow, I didn't know I was thinking. So that's you know, first thing you gotta you're thinking, and you're thinking things that then lead to you know, the emotions and then those triggers and then the different things. And so I was like, wow, what is actually happening here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, like Fred is, you know, unpredictable, but like I trust me to know that now I know what to do right.
Speaker 2: Right, and and he is a teacher for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so with all of this that you have learned, yeah, our what are you now doing to help others to do the same? Oh?
Speaker 1: I wrote some books in the one little thing that what ended up happening was what future are you willing to wake up to? Is? Was the first thing I wrote. And it's a work book. Yeah, and the workbook. I was actually doing it myself, but differently. So like I had all these questions like you said, and I had these like rewiring moments I would ask myself and I would keep it in my iPhone notes and every day I would look at it and you know, go through and start asking. And I got these notes, and I got these ideas from classes, from people like you, Marcy that say inspirational things, and I would save them. And so what I ended up doing was I was like, this isn't really working very well. You know. I would go to a class or and listen to a podcast or have these tools that I would save, and I'm put them in my phone and then trying to find them, you know, later on, and then I'm not actually applying them to my life. Yeah, and so I'd really like to apply them to my life. And so what I did is I was like, I'm going to write this for myself. I first went on Amazon and looked and see if anybody else had anything similar. I was like, Hey, does anybody else have like a workbook type? Like it's actually like a workbook, a little bit of journaling some questions, And I was like, does anybody else have this because they don't want to buy it, and they didn't. So one of my clients is a publishing company, so I know how to publish. So I was like, I'm just going to publish this for myself and it's going to make my life easier. I would like to daily create my life. And so I published it and my friend was like, you know, and before then he was like, well, I want one too, and I was like, oh wow, maybe the other people would like this, but the one thing I would actually like to say is that I would I again. Riding Fred taught me something about this daily creation. When you ride a horse, you have to ride ahead a few steps and I never really had this analogy in my regular life until it hit me hard riding my horse. So you know, when you're riding and you're going to a jump or doing different things, you actually have to be a few steps ahead. You got to know what direction you're going, You got to tell them where you're going before you know. And there's times where I wasn't doing that and it was a terrible ride. And so I'm talking to my trainer, why is this ride good? And then you know, what what am I doing? Can you help me, you know with us. Well, one of them is like, if you are not riding ahead, your horse will choose for you, because they're like, hey, where are we going? I need to know? And so I was like, so if I don't ride ahead, my horse is going to choose. And then I was like, where else am I doing this? So if I'm not actively creating my life, my life is.
Speaker 2: Creating me well one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And and and there might not You might have a great life, there might not be anything wrong with that. But what I noticed is that I could actually choose and tweak and create and play and discover my day.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, mm hmmm. Yeah. It is making choices to the day, right, is that what you're is that what you're saying, like, you create the day by the choices you make.
Speaker 1: And then those little choices what we said in the beginning, actually create the bigger the bigger things that you know, those like frackless wow moments that show up. It's those little increments, those little baby steps. And that's what I did. I'm like, I'm doing this. I'm grating my life every day.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love that and I love that it. Listen, we may dream about things. We may say we want things, you know, and I am a go with the flow person, like I I believe that you need to go with the flow. Yes, but and the manifestation I buy into all that are you too, But you do need to do the work and work with what is the flow where it's taking you. Yes, you have to still always show up and take action and be accountable and do something that is going to create that outcome that you want. And listen, I'm not always a big goal person. I mean I have ideas of what I want to believe me, I mean, yeah, paid speaker. Now, I'm a paid speaker. You know. Oh thank you, My gosh, here's the crap out of me. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: But I'm getting ready today and I'm like, I'm just going to show up, you know, I'm rushing my hair. I'm like, I'm just going to show up and see what happens. That's not nothing that it's the willingness to show up.
Speaker 2: Yes, because let me tell you, I mean when I used to be in corporate I couldn't even speak in a meeting, like I was so terrified. So this is one of the other gifts that come with you know, growing and evolving and trusting yourself and you still are scared, but you just still do but you do it now.
Speaker 1: You do it in the first step rarely rarely looks like the future you're asking for.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, one hundred percent. And also, Becky, invest in yourself. Take You've got to keep learning, right, yes, yeah. Well.
Speaker 1: One of the big things that's really been working for me right now that I'm discovering is that what if every day I asked, instead of I think, you know, like I said, we're going Mexican like in kindergarten, we should have this little manual. You know, you have thoughts and you know the different things and you know, but we didn't get that manual. So here I am fifty just trying to figure out but you know, instead of preparing for the worst every day. I don't know about you, but you know, sometimes I wake up and I'm actually trying to like fix yesterday or rearrange something, you know, from yesterday, instead of like today the today that I have. And so waking up today and discovering who I am, discovering what's possible and a few tools that I'm working with right now, is that I wake up and I have three things that I write every day that I'm grateful for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that tool.
Speaker 1: Three things, you know, and they can sometimes people really focus. It's really not it's not hard and there's no right answer. It's you know, like I'm really greatful people, you know, for you, Marcy, you know, I'm grateful to be here talking to you. And so it's really as simple as that. And then three things to acknowledge today. That's showing up three things you know. That acknowledgment is also like the rocket fuel to gratitude and once you're grateful m hmm everything, yeah, you know, and so to acknowledge mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Another thing that I love that I said that, you know, like we don't wake up preparing for greatness. We usually kind of have that like oh gosh, you know, like worst case scenario thing or like how can I survive today? And so I love to ask, you know, like what success can I have today? And how can I prepare for that?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And success doesn't have to be sometimes that can feel like a really big word, yeah, like success, but that what I gained from that, And because daily you don't have huge success every day you have all wins every day, right, So it's acknowledging that and gratitude is life changing. I still do it, and it also allowed me to connect spiritually.
Speaker 1: Yes, and.
Speaker 2: Hard things happen in life. Life happens is going to it's just learning a new way to maneuver those difficult times. And when you are grateful, you do see this silver lining or maybe what you could learn from it, or you realize that, yes, I'm sad today, but I will move on from this, right, So you are able to look at it differently. And I'm trying to help my son because you say about the gratitude of small things, and it's like I ask him, so, what are you grateful for today? Right? And it's like, I don't know because we always think also like to be grateful, it's got to be these big, grandiose things and it's not.
Speaker 1: There's so amazing.
Speaker 2: We have a computer, we have lighting, we have clothes, we have on like, there's so many things to be grateful.
Speaker 1: And you know what they're like, who teach you those? Like the thing like we feel like we have to have the right answer. Yes, So when you ask somebody like what you're grateful for? Like I don't know. Your brain instantly goes to, like, well, what would be the correct answer here? Yes, you know? And so you know, like with my kids, one of the things that I talked to them a lot about is like, you can't say I don't know. You can say anything else, but you can't say I don't know. Because here's the thing. If you don't know, nobody knows. You're the only one that knows you. You're the only one that gets to discover you. So take the I don't know, like out of the out of the equation, and what is the first thing that pops? I mean, it could be like I'm grateful that you know, I have this water here in front of me. Okay, grit, it's those baby steps, like that's the start. Yeah, and think, wow, what an amazing thing, Marcy, that you're teaching him this.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: Nobody taught me, you know.
Speaker 2: No, and you see someone going through a difficult time, it's like, oh my god, that was life changing. So right, I want to give that to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to help you. And you know, really helping somebody though, is allowing, you know, being present from them and then maybe asking them some questions and allowing them to discover what is theirs.
Speaker 2: Mm hm, I love that so much. We're going to take a quick break. I want to share about my new book, wake Up You're Not Broken, which is a gentle companion for anyone who's ready to stop drinking, take their life back, and move from chaos to peace one day at a time. So we'll be right back. Are you in the first thirty days of sobriety or wondering if now is your time to start? Hi? I'm Marcy Hopkins and I wrote wake Up You're Not Broken just for you. It's a real raw guide to those first thirty days, what no one tells you, what you will feel, and how to keep going. This isn't about perfection, it's about progress. Or to your copy now on Amazon. Remember, you're not alone, You're not broken, You're waking up. Welcome back. So excited to have you Becky again. I mean, I'm loving this conversation and we just we just we're talking about gratitude and how amazing that is and what a beautiful lesson and practice each day.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, well earlier even like I said, how grateful I am for having panic attacks at twenty, you know, like you know, but when you can look at something and actually look you know what it created in my life to be able to realize what I'm thinking when I'm telling myself. And you know, that was really when I look at it, kind of the beginning of my journey of some discovery of like, wow, if I can do this horrendous thing, Yeah, you can do something miraculous. And then I was like, well, how do I do that? And then when on that journey and you know, so finding something that you can you know, look at and be grateful for helps you then discover because I really don't think the universe is out here to get us.
Speaker 2: No, you know, we're supposed to be working with the universe. So let's talk about self discovery a little bit because I love to talk about self discovery and uh, and you've shared that it's not about fixing yourself, it's about coming back to yourself. Which love those those words. I use those words too. Can you can you explain to us about that, like you know that it's not about fixing ourselves, it's it is about coming back to ourselves. And what what's the difference there?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, what I would love to say is that I don't think we're broken.
Speaker 2: No, we're not.
Speaker 1: I don't think we're broken. I don't think we're wrong. I think that we just don't always have all the information. Looking at that way, it would be the first thing I'd love to say. I remember being in a class one time and listening to everyone's questions and thinking like, Wow, I don't think I actually have a problem. Wow, that's interesting, and then just being willing to start discovering you know, maybe I don't have a problem. Maybe I'm not broken, Maybe everything isn't outside of me, or that I'm searching for, or you know, like or someday, you know, like a lot of us, well someday I'll be happy. Well maybe I've actually already everything that I've ever wanted, needed or asked for.
Speaker 2: More about the journey, it's not about like we may get to the finish line of something that we think will make us happy, but then we are just seeking the next thing. So it's about the nice thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and what I've really been focusing on a lot lately is you're like, wow, what if you you know, you look at like the small things, Well, I'm what is my target life like to belly laugh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that.
Speaker 1: Like there's times where I wake up like one of my creating today belly laughter. I'm laughing.
Speaker 2: That's in the world, isn't it. Like And when you have a belly laugh and you don't have any like substance in you, like you really feel it and the chemicals that are released in your body.
Speaker 1: This molecular dance party happening, and you're like, what what is this?
Speaker 2: This is?
Speaker 1: I don't know what this is? You know all and then you're like, wow, you remember, like remember when you're young and we we first come here and you have like this just everything is amazing and like this discovery because you know nothing. And then you belly laugh and you watch kids belly laugh, and I'm like, wait a minute, I don't think that's gone m hm. So what is my target? Like is it miraculous? Is it to save the world? Is it like these big things? Unfortunately? No, like to belly laugh and to have fun right now, right now? My change is my target? Like can you imagine just to like have laughter an amazing day like that gives you this sense of peace, homeless, like trust in you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I love that. So let's talk about vulnerability.
Speaker 1: Now, oh you're.
Speaker 2: Only stop pretending like we have it all together right and get vulnerable and look at our own lives. What was that? What was that for you? What does that look like for you?
Speaker 1: Vulnerability? Mercy, That's a big question, Like what is even being vulnerable? Well, I think being vulnerable is willing to show up?
Speaker 2: Is you?
Speaker 1: Maybe the hot mess? Maybe like the stories were, you know, like I just came on here and I said, and you know, do I have a college degree? No? You know, do I have like all the credentials? Well I have some, but no, you know, I am here. Showing up as is just who I am today. And one of the things that I've learned is that being yourself and showing up as you, which is being vulnerable. However however that is for you, is You're like, showing up with you is actually the most irresistible thing that you can do for people and being because they're like, wow, who is she? What is she doing? What's happening? M h. I'm you know, I'm not perfect. I have mistakes, We've made millions, we've been broke. Yeah, yeah, I don't have it all figured out.
Speaker 2: And that's it. When I get vulnerable because I used to be very afraid to be vulnerable because I thought it was being weak. And so when I now get vulnerable, what I recognize is that there's a softness with somebody else, right, and they open up with you. And that's what I love. And that's what I recognize now, Like I don't have to act like I have it all together, and I can get vulnerable and I can ask for help and I can be real and maybe I overshare sometimes with people, and sometimes I'll walk away and I'm like, oh god, I.
Speaker 1: Don't share that.
Speaker 2: But but it's real, you know, And that's who I am, and I feel I feel best when I am vulnerable. It takes so much energy to try to be perfect all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well when you just said that, I even like felt my whole body relax, took a breath. Yeah, you know when you're talking. And one of the things that I discovered about you is that watching your podcasts and it is like somebody having coffee together.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's real, it's vulnerable, and maybe that's why you do so well. People love that people are ready for the realness, Like you don't have to have it all figured out. You don't even you know, you just have to take that one step, and then I think a lot of things. People you know, like I began and were like, well, I don't even know what to do. I have nothing, but taking the one step, these things show up. I don't know. I was good at marketing. Yeah, and that twelve dollar an hour job led to a million dollar business that while my husband then was behind the scenes supporting me. Yeah, but I created, yes, And you know that's like the rest of that story. Even though you know, I showed up to the corporate office in a jacket that I couldn't take off because I had the tags on it. Still I love that, you know, but they loved me, and they continue to ask me to step up. I end up doing and doing the job that my mom's friend hired me for. I ended up running all over the country these studies and you know, doing market research. And think about that. What I really learned is that I became fascinated with people like I love you know, I'm actually interested And I think, what part of vulnerability that you brought up is actually being present. I mentioned how my bodies went and breath and I.
Speaker 3: Listened to you, you know, and and and when you have someone in front of you, you know, interested in you, it allows this relaxation and this deep sense of maybe joy.
Speaker 1: That they haven't experience. I'm not even really sure. I don't want to exactly you know, children words to that, but there's something about you know, a lot of people like to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Oh you I you know. I think there's a real art to it. And I used to be someone that didn't know how to really have conversation. I didn't know how to listen, and I didn't know how to get curious with somebody else, and and and being honest, I didn't really care because I had moved around so much. To me, people were replaceable. I didn't know how to have roots. I didn't know how to. I had never really learned how to have real bonds with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, connect because you connect now so well. So there you go. That's one thing you'd be surprised like if you would have said that, I'd been like, no, Like the.
Speaker 2: Connection that you have it shows it was hard. It was hard. And then when I stopped drinking and I started getting curious about myself, I started getting really curious about other people, Like we all have a story we all came from.
Speaker 1: Fascinating people are really fascinating.
Speaker 2: Really are really are. And I noticed now and I think it's I really don't fault people because so many people are like this, and I think it has to do with their own growth. When you ask people questions and you're curious with them, they don't reciprocate, and I don't think they know how to be.
Speaker 1: Well, we're not taught that. Yeah, we've talked about this a lot. Maybe that's our next book, What you should have been given when you were born? You know, the book because literally there's so many things although that it would be probably a never ending book, like as we discover more and more, like there's not these small little things. And you know what, I do want to say, like I'm not here to your like you know, like just credit my mom or my dad or anything like that, like from my childhood, because I truly believe I wouldn't be who I am today. I would not be sitting here talking to you, mercy if it wasn't for my parents being willing to be all that they could be at that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I A lot of people say, how do you forgive your mother? And I said, I forgave her because I separated my mom from the titles that I gave her and what I expected from her, and I looked at her as a person, and you know where she came from and her own beliefs about herself, right, And I know that my mom did not purposely hurt me. She did the best that she could. And I have to forgive that because if I live in that story, it will continue to destroy me.
Speaker 1: Well, and you were brave enough to change history, you change the whole trajectory of your family. That takes courage, and it also takes like having some information and willing to be just to discover it. Of like you know, you were like, I am not going to continue this. I mean, I'm not. I don't want to assume that that happened in your family generational. But at times in generations it's like, oh gosh, I would have pictures of me on a table at three years old with a beer in my mouth. Family functions like they thought that was hilarious.
Speaker 2: My mother would give me alcohol like oh, you have a stomach ache here eight years old? Here it drinks on my margarita, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you know, being brave enough, you know, to change that right to your family and future. Yeah, and that's really and how does that happen? Just from one question? Sometimes like Wow, what am I doing here?
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I said when I woke up October fourteen fifty What hell are you doing? Marcy?
Speaker 1: What am I doing?
Speaker 2: Oh? God?
Speaker 1: And the most beautiful thing like when I when I had enough, I had enough and I woke up, and what I was aware of even at this time, I already had the information because I was like in my thirties ish. I already had the information of that. I knew I had thoughts and I could change them because I had the information. But I still didn't have like the understanding yet of like, wow, I'm drinking and I'm drinking a lot, right and like and not and not only that, Well, I have to say, Marci, I'm an all in person. Yeah, I'm in, that's all. And so I was all in. But what I noticed that I had enough of is the horrendous things that I was telling myself daily. M m. Yeah, you're you're you're fat, You're you're drunk, you drink too much, You're a horrible person. Like it was almost like that devil on my shoulder when I was drinking like horrible and I was like, wow, what I'm doing. I already had a little bit of the knowledge and the information and like they doing to yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we have to have that like wake up moment, right, And that's and that's hard for people. Let's talk about those that are watching or listening right now. They woke up tomorrow and they believe they couldn't create a different future. What would you want them to remember?
Speaker 1: What do you want to remember? Firs still all like, you're not wrong, You're not horrible, there's nothing wrong with you. And sometimes it's like that point where we just want to give ourselves like a hug and some nurturing that maybe we're missing. Yeah, you know, and you are not your past and you're you know, you're not your future. You're not none of those things. Like you can be anything that you want to be every day. M wonderful, sounds wonderful, But how do I become that? Well? One step at a time. Yeah, what am I telling myself?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What future? What I like to create? And what choice can I make today that takes me in that direction?
Speaker 2: Good advice, good advice and Becky, I have loved our conversation and amer can everybody find you?
Speaker 1: Well, you can come to my website ww dot Becky dashthness dot com. I do have books, but what I loved was like I wanted you know, I want to know that you know. It's the place to find, discover and leave come back free tools. Mm hmm. It's a place to ask questions and feel safe and discovering yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So for everyone out there, thank you so much for being here today. And if today's conversation resonated with you, please make sure to like, comment, share this episode for somebody out there that needs to hear it right, Like I love to always say, we create the ripple effect and let's help somebody else and it just remember that life begins with one choice, one courageous step, and one decision to stop waiting. Becky, thank you so much for coming on the show. Thank you really all right, everyone, yes, thank you so much. Remember this that you don't have everything figured out to take the first step. You don't have to be fearless, you just have to be willing. And I look forward to seeing you next Thursday with a brand new episode, and I hope you have an amazing week. Bye bye everyone, testant
Speaker 1: Past, protest, testical, test,