Speaker 1: And here we go with the Minnesota Goodbye, Welcome back Jenny, so we get a chance to talk about whatever we want in the Minnesota Goodbye. So give me something about your trip that if somebody said, tell me about your trip, give me your lead story, what do you lead with?
Speaker 2: I would just say that, I mean, we've never done anything with a camper van before, and I just think that there's so much you can do with camper vans that you wouldn't expect, Like you can go camp at free campsites in areas that there's not really anyone around. So if you're trying to go on a trip and not be hoarded by tourists and you know, be like stuck with a bunch of people out of KOA, you can go to a free camp site.
Speaker 1: Is it funny how we hate tourists yet we are, Yeah, we are at the same time. Let me ask you, because you mentioned the KOA and I'm a big KOA fan.
Speaker 3: What does that stand for campground?
Speaker 1: No, it does Campgrounds of America. Oh yeah, it's spelled with the k Campgrounds of America community formed in Billings, Montana in nineteen sixty too. The original one is still there on the banks of the Yellowstone River, and I've stayed there before and it's fabulous. Did you see when you so you weren't at the koa, but when you're wild camping, were there other wild camper vans nearby?
Speaker 2: There are there, but it's like in a distance that like, and especially if you get in late at night, you can not even like see anyone else because there's no lights or anything. But yes, there definitely are other people nearby. There were a couple places where we were pretty secluded and not really close to anyone, but yeah, I would say the biggest lesson we learned with the camper van lifestyle is don't wait until it gets dark to find your your campsite, because then you're dealing with rough roads because I mean it's not paved roads ye where you're rolling up into your doing like really rough roads. And then also you might find a spot that you think is going to be open and then it's not, and then you have to like search around somewhere else. So I don't know, it just it was a very different trip than anything I've ever taken in my entire life. And I also didn't grow up camping, and so I was scared of so many things because I assumed I wouldn't be I was scared of not being able to shower in a normal shower. We improvised and use this water pressure or sprayer thing that Andrew has for his plants. I know, I was nervous about the bathroom situation just because I don't have like I have issues, and so I was like, oh, this is not.
Speaker 3: Going to be fun.
Speaker 2: I bought a toilet for the van.
Speaker 1: Did you ever use it?
Speaker 3: No, we never used the toilet.
Speaker 2: We didn't use it once, but.
Speaker 3: Like it's still a good thing that you had it just in case.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm happy that we have it, no doubt about that. But yeah, I just think it was very unique and I am a huge fan of just getting on the road and going. We really didn't have a plan. We had a plan of like seeing national parks, but we didn't have super specific things set in stone. So like a couple of days ended up being a little different than what we thought they'd be because we saw other things that were cool to visit and I just love that. Whereas, like I think on a normal trip you kind of have to have a little bit more of an itinerary because you're in a civic city and you have to do all these things where in the camera van we kind of were free to go a little the way or something.
Speaker 1: I'm really jealous. I mean, that looks like that is my kind of trip, and it wouldn't really be Susan's kind of trip. She would rather have like the amenities of like all the you know, she wouldn't want to not take a shower for four days, and she wouldn't want to poop in a hole in the ground. And you know, I like to poop in a hole in the ground, you do. I actually did that one time at boy Scout camp because we were at Filmont in twenty seventeen, and there's one part where they have most you know, it's a very primitive thing, but they have outhouses. Yeah, and they it was very interesting because they said, don't they call them red roofs because they all have red roofs. And they said, don't pee in the red roof because what makes an outhouse stink is the interaction of urine with poop. You can poop in the red roof in the outhouse up yourself from peeing. Just p outside, pee against a rock or something.
Speaker 3: P first and then once you feel that the poop come in.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, okay, And so they were right. So they let us all into the red roof and they said, smell. You couldn't smell anything because without the interaction of urine, it doesn't smell in there. What who knew? Doesn't sound true, but it is true.
Speaker 3: Sound true.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite National Park?
Speaker 2: Probably Bryce Canyon. I would say it was just very interesting. I've never seen landscapes like that. They're called hoodoos. That's like the main part of it, and I just felt like it was I don't know, it was just breathtaking. Everyone, every single one was breathtaking, I will say, and it's probably an unfair rating of it, but Arches was so underwhelming to me. We did, however, go when it was a pouring rain and we couldn't do a whole time. But it's kind of like the Redwood's forest. You see one huge, ginormous tree, you've seen them all, and that's kind of how Arches felt. Whereas like the other National parks, I feel like you just had different landscapes, more different landscapes and just more I guess, bigger views. But once again, I might not be giving it a fair rating because it was stormy and rainy when we were there.
Speaker 4: I kept saying that it looked like you were in different like Star Wars planets, because I never knew until your pictures, I never knew that half of these places even existed. I was like, I've never seen this before. I've never seen this before. How is this in the United States? Like I've never considered it. I guess it's just never come into my my feed of my eyeballs, but it all felt like Star Wars to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Great Sand Dunes is exactly I mean when that one, did you go sandboarding?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: We didn't.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say I didn't see the pictures.
Speaker 2: No, we we had plan on doing it. But just like timing, why is it worked out better for us to just get up? You have to like you know, you know this because you've done it. You have to rent them from a store, and the stores didn't open till like nine, and we really didn't want to wait that long, so we ended up just getting up and doing a hike instead right away. But let me tell you, we did not follow the All Trails trail, and that was a huge mistake. To the point that like I almost had like a little mini panic attack in the middle of the sand dunes because I realized we were so far away from the start of the trail. We were on the wrong part of the trail to get to this big star dune dune that we're trying to get to, and I just felt like there was nobody around. We didn't see a single person on that hike, and I just started kind of like panicking, and I'm like, do we have enough.
Speaker 3: Water, do we have whatever?
Speaker 2: And truthfully, it's the one time I felt like we weren't prepared because on the way back, I felt delirious, like I felt dehydrated, hungry, My back hurt that Andre had to end up carrying my backpack the last like half mile because you know this too, like trudging through sand is just so hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like going through snow kind of right.
Speaker 2: It was just insane. So seven miles literally felt like fourteen miles, and you know, like one bottle of water and then a little bit more than that was not enough for that hike.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people underestimate the amount of water they need to take on any hike like that. People you go up with one and it's like, no, you need like a camelback with like a gallon in there. All right, moving on, and if you want to see pictures of Jenny's trip, it is super cool. It is on Dave Ryanshow dot com or on Jenny KTWB on Instagram. Hello, it's Rachel from Michigan. I've been a huge fan for almost ten years now as a daily listener, never missed a podcast or in Minnesota Goodbye until a year ago when my twins were born. I knew kids were gonna be a huge adjustment, but holy cow, I had no idea. It's been beautiful, crazy, busy, sleep deprived. But now that they are one and going to daycare a few days a week, I've finally had some time to start listening again. But wow, am I lost for contexts. Last time I listened, Fallon was still on the show. I don't even know where to begin to figure out what's happened in the last year or so. Can you please give me a sixty second update on the new people and any big changes that have happened. I've missed you all. Rachel from Michigan. Welcome back. Fallon left about August of last year to do the afternoon show, and she's done very well in the afternoon show. She was first with Zach Dlon and then they moved Zach to do his own morning show on Cities and so now she's on with Colt, so it's Balin and Colt in the afternoon. So at that time, that left me and Jenny and Drake, and that was until probably winter ish of this year, just the three of us, and then Drake was let go and then Vont was basically hired, so that it was me and Vont and Jenny and there was no overlap, I don't think with Drake and Vont, maybe a little bit no overlap. And then Bailey came in in May, and that is Bailey, and Bailey would fill in when Jenny was gone, and she did such a good job we said, well let's have Bailey. So because I always thought I wanted four people on the show, just because I think it's like more personalities, like friends would never have been as good if it was just three of them, but with six of them, and in our case, four of them, Yeah, I think that's great. Yeah, So there is your update. Now you know everything, Okay, Okay, next one from Lexi. I got a bag of candy from a promotional thing Walmart had going on. I'm five years old at heart, so of course I wanted a free bag of candy, fully prepared for it to be shitty, cheap candy, you know, the kind that's small and either hard to break it breaks several teeth or automatically turns to dust the instant they hit the bottom of the trigger treat bag. But I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled out a hundred grand bar. Yama hadn't had one of those in years, and I was reminded of how underrated that candy bar is. So that leads me to the question, what candy bar to uchi you think is underrated? One hundred grand bar is mine because it's basically really soft caramel covered in chocolate and the crispy bits on top just pull it out together. Hot. Damn. That was a treat today. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Okay, I will start because nobody likes this one, but I actually love the Three Musketeers bar. That's probably my favorite candy bar, and I know it's simply nougat with a thin layer of chocolate. But that's my favorite because to me, it's just got a great mouth feel, and I just that's really all I need.
Speaker 4: Bably I would say, so mine's not a candy bar. But I also am the only one who likes red vines the licorice.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I.
Speaker 3: Don't really care.
Speaker 4: I mean, I will eat Twizzlers, but I don't really care for Twizzlers, Like I'm not gonna buy twizzlers from the store, but I will buy red vines because there it's so soft and it actually tastes like I mean, I know licorice is technically like black licorice, and so it doesn't taste like Annis, but it tastes like what red liquorice to anis and a n I s e.
Speaker 3: That's the flavor of black live.
Speaker 1: You're making a joke about it, like funny, like we say porn instead of porn, and ANNIS is a flavor.
Speaker 3: It's a flavor. Yeah, it's a flavor of black licorice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I love red and I feel like Twizzlers just kind of taste like plastic to me.
Speaker 2: Jenny, mine would probably be mounds, Okay.
Speaker 1: I like bunce too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad always had those and he'd throw them in the freezer. So if you've ever ever frozen them before, you got a lot of thaw a little bit before you bite into it. But I just feel like it's really good when it's kind of frozen.
Speaker 3: Oo yum.
Speaker 1: This is somebody who did not hear their email on the Minnesota Goodbye, but I assure you we did read it. But just to reiterate it was very interesting. Said, my name is Connor. I've been listening for about eight years. I live in Michigan now, but I lived in the Twin Cities for six years and I'm an Augsburg alumni. You guys were talking about Dave's towel warmer and how he feels bad about it going into a landfill. This was last week when you were gone. I think yes, And I said, my towel warmer broke. I've had it for six or eight years. I love it. It just stopped working, so I said, I hate to throw it in the garbage. It ends up in a landfill. Well, he went on to say, and we did read this last week. I think Jenny is right. There are people called scrappers who will take appliances, electronics, metals, plastics, et cetera, and take them to companies that shred them down and sell the materials to foundry steelmakers and more. Did we read this.
Speaker 4: I don't remember this specific one, but I remember talking about it, but it might have been somebody else who Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, just a little PSA to google scrap junk metal recycling in your area, Get some extra dough for your end of life items, and know you're doing the right thing. Keep kicking butt. Love you guys. Dartiest of darts and licks. That is from Connor. Thank you Connor.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Uh Okay, this is Charlie. I am currently listening to the Deja Vu episode with my dad and I had to rant about the bathroom issue. So when I was younger, I went to YMCA summer camps. I went to one camp we'd go swimming, and there were two bathroom changing rooms for girls and boys, So in the girls one. So in the girls one, there was one shower and one stall that had a curtain, and the only one that were allowed to use the stall were counselors. So the girls had to get dressed in this one big cold room together which had no door, just a damn hole in the wall, and nobody would say in anything at all. We would just stare at the walls and randomly make eye contact while we were trying to get dressed. Okay, the counselors were so strict about us not using the stall like they wanted us just they wanted us just fucking staring at each other the whole time, and they wonder why we're lesbians. Okay. Also, girls bathrooms smell like soap. This is my second email, but I didn't get a staff writer sticker, so please send one to her address dart Lick from Charlie. Any thoughts on that email about changing rooms and changing I remember in swimming lessons when I was a boy scout, we had to change in you know, you get all the way naked in front of the other boys, right, and it was a very quick pop your suit off, immediately, have your underpants ready to go, and so you're not naked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would always change facing the wall anytime we had to change in front of each other.
Speaker 3: I hated it.
Speaker 4: I would always use a stall, but if the stalls were taken, I would just be in a corner facing the wall and still do that.
Speaker 2: I remember in like fourth and fifth grade. I think in elementary school they started having us change us into gym uniforms, but then we'd always have to shower afterwards. So you're like in their shower and you're literally going as quick as you can to grab your towel to cover yourself up. Yes, And it was just such a self conscious thing because you, I don't know, unfortunately society with women at least, like you grow up self conscious about your body, and so you're like just try and get your clothes on as quick as you can. And I just hated it.
Speaker 4: I would have just rather sat in my sweaty, sweaty air than shower in front of anyone.
Speaker 1: Well, for what it's worth, you know, you said self conscious with women, boys are so concerned about their penis size. Absolutely, I mean I know I was, because the first time you really have to take a shower in gym class is in seventh grade, and seventh grade boys are at different varying stages of development. I had not hit puberty yet, so I was very like self conscious about changing, you know, because when a boy hits puberty, things get bigger. They just do, and maybe you don't know that it doesn't stay the same size it goes from about the size of a pinky finger to me about the size of a No, we're a loaf of bread. Wow, So because you know, yeah, yeah, that is impressive.
Speaker 3: But also I always a burden. What feels like a burden?
Speaker 1: Well, I always said that mine was bigger than a breadstick, but smaller than a compact.
Speaker 2: Car, somewhere in between them.
Speaker 1: Somewhere in between a breadstick and a compact car. Okay, are you writing down a title for the show right now?
Speaker 3: Yes? And it feels like a burden, feels like a bird.
Speaker 1: And anyway, so no boys go through that too, because there's like one kid who will be like, you know, he'll be the same age as you, but he'll have a giant wag and you'll because he's already gone through the puberty thing and he'll have hair, and you'll look down and you have no hair and you look like you got a roll of tombs. And it's it's.
Speaker 4: Girls, I think, yeah, except as your boobs are bigger than everybody else's.
Speaker 1: And then you're like, well, I wonder if you have like big boobs in seventh grade, if you're like, yeah, look at me, I got big boobs.
Speaker 3: My sister had boobs in fourth grade, like she started getting.
Speaker 1: Them, proud of them, are embarrassed by embarrassed.
Speaker 4: Super embarrassed. Yep, but different times, different times, different times.
Speaker 1: But I think there's gonna be like that's always gonna be the same. It's like, no matter what you know, if you go to swimming lessons or whatever, you're always.
Speaker 4: Gonna feel self conscious of the part of growing up fam.
Speaker 1: It's pretty true. Okay, this one says, I want to make sure we didn't read this one. Okay, they are inviting you to go ice fishing, Bailey, Oh me, Oh yeah, yeah, small thing first, Baylor. My dad's get a nice ice house. He sets out on Prior Lake. It's comfy, cozy, and super fun. You're always welcome to come out if you're interested, or if Minnesota decides to be normal and have a white winter.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Next random question, what was your favorite Halloween costume you have done in your life? Oh? God, and what is a favorite costume that you have seen somebody else wear before? I just missed being a kid around Halloween. Nostalgia hits me hard. Anyways, Thanks for the thanks, guys. Lick all the dart all right from Kristen. Mine was probably post malone, but I've done a bunch post malone. Though I was post op malone. You're right where I had an IV bottle attached to my arm and I carried around, but I was post op malone. But it was a legit post malone. Nobody gave a fuck. I thought people would rave about my costume. I didn't even get a second look, and it really taught me, like, you know, you never know, Jenny, what was your favorite costume?
Speaker 2: I would have to say a couple's one that Andrew and I did a couple of years ago where he was Dora the Explorer and I was Backpack and I thought it was funny, so that was good.
Speaker 1: But that's cute. I like that one.
Speaker 3: That's cute.
Speaker 4: As a kid, I was a clown a lot. But I think like my favorite one. I was maybe four and my sister was five, and we were Dracula and the Bride of Dracula, and it was Dracula and my mom has the picture of us looking just so stink and cute, and she went all out with our makeup.
Speaker 3: So I've never looked cooler than four years old.
Speaker 1: Is Dracula and it's been downhill ever since, exactly. All right, That is it for the Minnesota Goodbye. Thank you for listening, whether you've been here the whole time or your whether your first time or you left and came back. Thank you. Always love your emails. They are the heart of the Minnesota. Goodbye. So, got anything on your mind, email us Ryan Show at kadiwb dot com.