Speaker 1: This podcast is intended for mature audiences. Listener discretion is advised by now you've heard so many names, friends, family, neighbors, suspects. I've been managing it all with this big spreadsheet to help me navigate this complicated and just strange story. And yet as organized as I have tried to make this, it's still proven to be a challenge, especially as new people have come forward to share even more information we've never heard before. In fact, I've learned so much in the past few weeks that we are going to break our last episode into two parts, starting with this one. In the course of my reporting, what's clear is that local law enforcement has always zeroed in on one guy, Chris Didton, Kelly's boyfriend at the time.
Speaker 2: He was considered to be a prime suspect and even felt a polygraph test, but no charges ever brought.
Speaker 1: Chris Denton. He died of cancer when he was just thirty one years old. That was back in two thousand and four, twelve years after Kelly vanished from Gilmer. Chris and Kelly ran in the same circles. They had a lot of mutual friends. Here's one friend, Lee, who was also a senior at Gilmer. During the ninety one ninety two school year, Lee and Chris were especially close.
Speaker 3: It was funny, he was hilarious. We were really good friends because he was just fun to be around, always joking.
Speaker 1: Lee acknowledges that Chris had some growing up to do Back in high school.
Speaker 3: He was a hothead. Not in a lie. He was a hot heead you know, he would get in fights. He would tell people what he thought when he thought it. He drank, He definitely partied, but he kind of hung out in all the groups because he was so funny. He'd always break out into a you know, vanilla eyes, rap songs, shit.
Speaker 1: But Lee says Chris was also a generous friend.
Speaker 3: You know, he was the guy that didn't give you the shirt off the back to help you out for real. And he was a very loyal friend, you know, up until he died. He was a very loyal friend. Never understood why they just focused in so hard on him.
Speaker 1: In the eyes of Gilmer police Sergeant James York Brown, who led the search for Kelly, Chris didn't fit the mold of a young delinquent. Everybody knew Chris had a hot temper, and Sergeant Brown has alleged that Chris even punched a girlfriend one time. Chris had also been arrested more than once, most for relatively petty's stuff, misdemeanor, theft, and running from the cops. But there was this one time, less than a year after Kelly's disappearance. It was the night before Halloween in nineteen ninety two. The high school football team, the Buck Guys, were losing pretty bad to a rivals school. One of Chris's friends got in a scuffle at the game with a guy who is from out of town. As this out of town fella and his friends were walking back to their vehicle, a red car passed by. Someone in the red car leaned out the passenger window and stabbed one of them a knife in the back. The guy wielding the knife he was none other than Chris. Denton Police found Chris and his buddies on a country road just off Cherokee Trace, where teams were known to party in the woods, right outside of town. Under the passenger seat was a knife and a baseball bat. Chris admitted to the stabbing. He was sentenced to one hundred and twenty days in jail and ten years probation and get this. Sergeant James York Brown was one of the police officers on the scene the night of the stabbing, which isn't really that unusual given how small Gilmer is, especially in Texas where Friday night football is kind of an all hands on deck situation for local law enforcement. So what did Chris have to do with Kelly? The TV show Dateline actually interviewed him about that around two thousand and two.
Speaker 4: Kelly was a casual girlfriend to him.
Speaker 5: They'd only hooked up around Christmas, just a few weeks before she went missing.
Speaker 4: We went to two parties together, and went to cloud together, and you slept together, you had sex with her.
Speaker 1: Chris told the news reporter that he partied with Kelly the night before she disappeared. On Sunday evening, the last night Kelly was ever seen. Chris said he and his friend Marvin drove by the town square in Gilmer. The video store where Kelly worked was already closed for the night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as we were driving by, Marvi, another shatire was flat and so lah okay tires flat. Probably got a ride home or whatever, and we went around on.
Speaker 1: A Chris's story didn't convince the police for a second According to Sargent Brown, Chris failed not one, but two light detector tests. Keep in mind, though light detector tests are notoriously unreliable. Earlier in the series, we heard about a guy who actually passed a light detector test when claiming falsely that he sacrificed babies and a devil cult. Joe Henry, the video store manager, the last person known to see Kelly, also failed his light detector test and was still cleared by the cops. So take all that with a grain of salt, and yet, investigators have said that Chris just couldn't keep his story straight and he struggled for answers when questioned before a grand jury. According to an Attorney General investigator's report, Chris was driving an eighty four Chevrolet Celebrity on the night of Kelly's disappearance. Chris's dad had bought the car just five months earlier, but he didn't keep it long. Just one month after Kelly was last seen, the car was sold to a dealer in Louisiana to be shipped to Mexico. The FBI tracked down the car. The floor mat in the trunk was said to be missing. The FBI even vacuumed up hair and other debris from the vehicle interior. When lab tested, however, none of the material traced back to Kelly. Did you kill Kelly Wilson?
Speaker 4: No, did not kill Kelly Wilson. I have no idea what happened to Kelly, whether where she's at, what happened to her. I don't know anything about it. Only thing I know of it I wish I'd never met her.
Speaker 1: Chris Denton had a cousin, Brent Ward. From what everyone says, Chris and Brent weren't just cousins, they were best friends. This is local news reporter Philip Williams.
Speaker 2: You may know that Denton's cousin, Brent Ward, was tried for perjury in that case two different times. Ward was the only guy that was ever tried in connection with him.
Speaker 1: Like his cousin, Brent is no longer with us, from what I've been told, He died of complications from diabetes in twenty nineteen at the age of forty six. Case files showed that during the search for Kelly Wilson, Brent was questioned twice by the jury. Both times he testified that he didn't know anything about Kelly's disappearance. Brent also said under oath that he was working until about four pm at this gated golf course community called Holly Lake Ranch on the day of Kelly's disappearance. Brent said he picked up Chris after work that day. They went to eat some hamburgers, and then Brent dropped off his cousin before eight pm. The timing is critical because Kelly was last seen at the video store about thirty minutes later. In other words, Brent's testimony gave Chris a pretty good alibi. The authorities poked some holes in Brent's story. For one thing, his timesheet from Holly Lake didn't show that he'd actually worked that weekend. In his defense, several witnesses said the time sheets weren't very reliable, and yet Brent's own supervisor testified that Brent absolutely did not work on the day Kelly went missing. It gets worse. The supervisor also testified that Brent asked him to lie to tell police that he'd been at work that day even though he hadn't. According to a newspaper account from Brin's trials, Britt confided in his supervisor that he was worried because he and his two friends had been at the video store a mere fifteen minutes before closing time. Brent said he and his buddies had been quote messing with Kelly. The supervisor refused to lie for Brent. A coworker overheard their conversation, what if anything, did Brent know about the disappearance of Kelly Wilson.
Speaker 5: The State Attorney General's office believes this man, twenty two year old Britt Ward, may have some answers, yet they claim he's not the prime suspect. That accusation points toward his best friend and first cousin, twenty two year old Chris Denton. No charges have ever been filed against Denton in the missing Team's case, but Ward has been charged with aggregated perjury five times, charges alleging Ward lied about where he was the night Kelly Wilson disappeared. In the latest free trial hearing, former Gilmour police sergeant James Brown testifies he always believed Chris Denton to be the prime suspect, and he felt Brent Ward knew more than he'd admit.
Speaker 1: In Brent's first trial, a next girlfriend testified that she hadn't seen Brent since the Saturday before Kelly disappeared. When she called him that Wednesday or Thursday to ask where he'd been. Brent told her, if the police ask, you tell them you saw me, not that they will ask. Brent denied the girlfriend's allegation. It was her word against his, so a judge acquitted him. In the second trial, a jury convicted Brent on one of two charges. He was sentenced to three years in jail. But here's the deal. Lee Taylor, a close friend of Chris and Kelly, says there's no way Chris murdered Kelly, and she has Chris's alibi.
Speaker 3: And I never understood why the police weren't interested in that, and they were never interested, like they never talked to me. I went to the police station and told them, I know y'all are looking into Chris, but I was on the phone with him. The little secretary lady took my information and no one ever called me.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like I never ever ever believed it was him.
Speaker 1: Ever, Lee is far from the only one who is convinced of Chris's innocence. Let's see what she and others have to say. From Imperative Entertainment. I'm wes Ferguson This is Deviltown. This is chapter ten, Part one. The boyfriend, if you can remember all the way back to the first episode, is the high school friend who was supposed to meet up with Kelly and go to that party outside of town. When Lee got off work at the local pharmacy, she drove over to the video store. Kelly was still inside the store vacuuming, so Lee went home to change clothes, and that's when her mom said, no way.
Speaker 3: And then like shortly after, my mom was like, no, you're not going. It's too late to go out now. No no, no, no, no, no no. And I was like, dam I should just never come home, you know, I should have gone straight to Kelly's. Right about that time, Chris didn't called me, and we're talking on the phone, and I was like, well, are you going to go with Are you gonna go with me meet up with Kelly and them tonight at that party? And he said something of the like nah, fuck that bitch, I ain't going or she's being a bitch, I ain't going or something, and I don't know, and I guess they've gone in some little Honestly, I think she was trying to break up with him or kind of stop hanging out with him so much and kind of blew him off. I don't really know the details of that, but it wasn't like we got in this huge fight da you know. It wasn't anything like that. And I knew it couldn't be because she had just been at the thing vacuuming fifteen minutes earlier. And so I just never could understand how if he was the one to get her from the video store, how kid he could have already have done something, hidden her body somewhere and called me and then totally normal.
Speaker 1: She says. The timing just didn't make sense.
Speaker 3: It was shortly before nine. It was like eight forty five ish. And the reason I remember this so vividly, and I don't remember very many things this vividly. I'm almost a little bit nutty. And I wasn't allowed to be on the phone after nine, and then she really didn't like Chris didn't. And I remember it was like nine oh five and I was on the phone with him and she like walked into my round. I was like, what are you doing. I was like, I'm on the phone with Chris, and she ripped my phone out of the wall. That's how I remember it so down thedly because I never got a phone again, never got that that thing put back on the wall where you could plug a phone in again.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Chris was none too happy with Kelly that night. It reminds me of a comment made by retired police officer Richard Sproule in the last episode The Law Enforcement Theory that Chris was mad at Kelly because she'd been spending time with another boyfriend instead of him over the Christmas holidays.
Speaker 3: And he was like, have you talked to Kelly? And I was like, no, I drove by, she was vacuuming, and I haven't called yet. And so I believe he was with Marvin Pritchett. They were at Chris's house. They're either at Chris's house or Marvin's house, and so it just doesn't make sense that he could have done something to her and he didn't have a car. I don't believe. I don't believe he had a car. I think he was probably with Marvin, but I just I don't see how they could have ever done something hidden her walked into Chris's house out, you know, any blood on them or anything, and then acted like it was normal. The only place they could have had her was like in the trunk of the car, and it just it just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: And then if someone was to say, well, maybe they went out later and met up with her, No.
Speaker 3: I just don't think that's even possible.
Speaker 1: I can't say one way or the other. But I really don't understand what's impossible about Kelly getting a ride from someone else, maybe another love interest, and crossing paths with Chris later that night. Chris didn't sister declined to speak with me, but in a text message, she said Chris was home with his family on the night Kelly went missing, and Chris also told the Dateline reporter that he went right home after he and his friend Marvin saw Kelly's car with the flat tire at around nine thirty pm. But it's certainly not unheard of for a teenager to sneak out after his parents are asleep. So Lee is on the phone with Chris right after Kelly gets off work. Several hours passed before the next morning, when Kelly's stepdad finds her Dodge Charger with the slash tire outside the video store. That's a pretty big window for anything to happen. Did Kelly say that she had to tell you.
Speaker 3: Something like something was going on? And I think, and that's when I think she was kind of like trying to get away from Chris, like they were kind of dating, and she's kind of trying to distance herself from Chris. But there wasn't like nothing happened between them. There wasn't a big sight. There wasn't, you know, nothing happened. If she did seem like she wanted to talk about somemer or was saying she wanted to talk about something, I thought it was about breaking up with Chris, because him and I were really good friends, and so I thought she really just wanted to bounce it off of me or you know whatever. But I didn't know any of that other stuff.
Speaker 1: How long have they been together?
Speaker 3: A few buds, I believe. I believe it had been a few months, like maybe rightund the football season was they had started dating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when he talked to Dateline, he said that they had just hooked up a couple times in December and that was the extent of it.
Speaker 3: And I may and that may be it. I might just be thinking they but I know they'd hung out for a while, and there's no telling. I'm sure Chris was just scared to death.
Speaker 1: It's obvious that Lee cares a lot about Chris. Whether you think her phone call with Chris is an airtight alibi or not, it is strange that Gilbert police had no interest in hearing what she had to say.
Speaker 3: Well, I would love for it to come out that he talked to me, because I've always felt like people still to this day, you know, have this weird suspicion of him, And to this day, out of every single person that was ever suspected as the one person that I don't believe could have possibly done it, I just I mean, I remember we were joking around. I mean, wouldn't he have been out of breath or weird or something if you just killed somebody? Had I was his alibi and no one cared.
Speaker 1: What about Chris's alleged violet streak. His and Kelly's other friend, Michelle says this was also blown out of proportion.
Speaker 7: I don't remembering much in high school, but I was busy with my daughter, but he was honoring. He liked to get in fights, and he was extremely smart and ended up getting held back and graduating with us because he just went to do his work. But when he took his exit exams, he did better than any of us, Like he was smart. He was just honoring and gave his parents' fits. And there's nothing good about you know, what he went to jail for.
Speaker 8: But it's made out.
Speaker 7: To be a different picture than what it was. There was a common rivalry fight between two groups of kids, and something had broken out and they purposely went to get Chris because they knew he liked to fight, you know, his friends dead.
Speaker 8: So they went gauding and went back.
Speaker 7: To fight as a group, like one group against another group. And unfortunately Chris pulled out a knife.
Speaker 8: Now it's not like this long butcher knife.
Speaker 7: They make it sound like he's a serial killer and went to stab in somebody. Okay, what he did is not good. You can't pull out any kind of knife and stab somebody, right. The person did not die, the person did not have great injury. It's never fun to get stabbed by any kind of knife. But it wasn't this deadly transaction.
Speaker 8: I guess. I'm not trying to make excuses for it.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 7: And he learned a valuable lesson for it, and he was very serious. When he was on probation, he did not break his probation. He didn't want to do anything he wasn't supposed to do because he wanted to be a good person. He went to jail, and after he got out he really wanted to He was like, I can't do I can't be the wild child anymore. And he really started turning everything around. And then that's when I got to know him. I've had a lot of long conversations with Chris, and there in my mind, there's absolutely no way he could have had anything to do with it. I've had conversations with him or he's in tears and wanted nothing more than to solve her case, and there's no way you could. Somebody could have those conversations if they were guilty. That's the conversations that I had with him. And he was one of the most loving souls. Once he grew up and was not, you know, acting out anymore. When he was an adult, he was a wonderful man. He knew he was going to die and he said, when I die, I need you to be open to listening to me, because I'm going to find I'm going to go to Kelly when I get to heaven and we're going to send you signals and you're going to have to help find her.
Speaker 8: I mean, and he's serious.
Speaker 7: I mean, this is one of his very last things that he's going to do, is that he wants to be able to find her and clear his name, clear Brent's name, and bring Kelly's mother closure.
Speaker 1: I asked Michelle about a rumor that's been going around for years that Chris made a deathbed confession involving Kelly's case.
Speaker 7: Well, no, none of that's accurate. None of that's accurate. Of course, there's no deathbed confession. His last days were spent at Baylor Hospital in Dallas, and.
Speaker 8: He was very coherent for most of that time.
Speaker 7: It was just a very short period of time that he was not able to talk and be coherent, and it was during that time that I was having those conversations with him, and nobody ever approached him to try to get a confession.
Speaker 8: So I was there the day he died.
Speaker 1: Although Lee remembers Chris and Kelly being an item for a few months, Michelle insists they were not in a serious relationship. That was just the narrative being driven to make Chris into the scapegoat for Kelly's disappearance.
Speaker 7: I think it was more the media, and I think the high ups in the community controlled the media and they wanted the spotlight off of them. And you know, the first person they were going to question is the person they considered the boyfriend.
Speaker 8: They weren't really truly boyfriend and girlfriend.
Speaker 7: I think they'd just been messing around and they were starting to have feelings or whatever was going on there.
Speaker 8: That's your first easy target.
Speaker 7: It's just like if there's a husband and wife and the wife gets murdered, the first person they're going to go towards this the husband.
Speaker 8: They're going to question them.
Speaker 1: To be sure. There are details about Kelly's case that point away from Chris and Brent. The fall before she vanished, Kelly had told her cousin in Louisiana that she was trying to get away from an ex boyfriend who dealt drugs and wouldn't leave her alone. We heard about that in the last episode. Well, Chris was not a drug dealer. There was also the night Kelly was dropped off by a black luxury car and she claimed to have not remembered what happened, not to mention the huge wad of cash her mom found in her bedroom after she disappeared. Well, Chris was from a family of meager means. I recently got my hands on some emails from Kelly's late stepmom Waverlin. The contents of the emails were apparently copied from police reports written by Sergeant James York Brown, the original investigating officer. From what I can tell, they've never been made public. In one of the emailed reports, a Gilmer resident named R. F. Dodson told police he was taking his wife to get gas at eight thirty or nine o'clock on January fifth when he saw a girl standing in front of the video store. She had sandy blonde hair and was wearing cutoff shorts and a large shirt, a match for Kelly. She was talking to a couple of guys in blue jeans and long sleeved shirts, clean cut kids with a mid sized car. Chris and Brent in a chevy celebrity I have no idea. The other report has even more detail, and that one a guy from Gilmer named Max Childress said he was walking down the street near the town square when he saw Kelly by the back door of the video store. Kelly was arguing with a man that Max didn't know, but he did recognize him as someone he'd seen around Gilmer. The man was about twenty five years old, white, clean cut, with black hair and sideburns. The man with Kelly had a fairly new sports car with dark blue paint. Kelly and the mystery man were arguing when Matt, the passerby, heard a slap. What are you looking at, the man asked, so Max left. Max said he later saw Kelly and the same man in the same car turning north on the main highway through town. In her email, Waverlin cautions that this guy Max has quite a lot of problems and he's not easy to talk to. His tip apparently went nowhere and he died in twenty thirteen. As we mentioned in the last episode, Michelle believes Kelly found out something she wasn't supposed to know, whether that involved a drug ring or something else, and Kelly was silenced the pursuit of Chris Denton, not to mention the wild unrelated allegations of demonic sacrifices. All that was a smoke screen.
Speaker 7: It's much bigger than anybody could anticipate, So you wonder why there's a cover up. Well, if one girl could expose what's going on and bring that many powerful people down, she's not going to survive.
Speaker 8: But you got to look at the big picture too.
Speaker 7: I mean, Kelly was snatched off the Gilmour Square.
Speaker 8: She was a sweet young girl. It wasn't a random act.
Speaker 7: We all know it wasn't random, So that means there had to be a reason behind it. That has to be a pretty big reason to snatch a teenage girl from her work in Gilmer, Texas.
Speaker 3: It's big.
Speaker 8: Somebody was in fear.
Speaker 7: It's not like it was this accident or this or that it was. I mean, when you look at the bigger picture and you think about it, it's like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Michelle brought up Kelly's old boss, Joe Henry, who much later pleaded no contest possession of child pornography.
Speaker 7: Everybody knows that Joe Henry was the last one to see her, and to me, he should have been more of a suspect than what he was. Now you know that he's a sex offender listed as a child sex offender because he got vested with child pornography. There's something behind that. You can't dismiss that the last person that she was with likes videos of children having sex. I mean, you can't just dismiss that there's something there. There's something. Joe Henry knows what happened to Kelly. There's no doubt in my mind. I can't say he did it, but he knows what happened.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned in the last episode, Joe has admitted to engaging in some inappropriate behavior with Kelly, including propositioning her as a joke, but he insists he had nothing to do with Kelly's disappearance. Police dismissed him as a suspect long ago. There's something else I've been reluctant to bring up. I'm still not sure it's fair game or even relevant, but it keeps coming up, so let's get into it. Gilmer, Texas is kind of unique. It's home to one of the oldest surviving Mormon colonies in the American South. The families of Chris Denton and his cousin Brent are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints and Gore, the CPS caseworker who investigated the allegations of Satanic ritual sacrifices as Mormon. So is John Melvin Dodd, the Gilmer School teacher and charter member of the Justice for Kelly Wilson Committee. Here's news reporter Philip Williams again.
Speaker 2: Well too interesting. Some interesting things came up here that involved the Mormon Church too. Anne Gower, who was one of the Child Protective Services or welfare department workers who was involved in this investigation. Denton. I don't know if he was a Mormon, but his parents are big members of the Mormon Church. And Brent Ward, his cousin who was convicted of perjury, went off on a mission from the Mormon Church, and it was said that that was rushed up, you know, about the time all this happened, and so you know, and then there's some people here named Dodd, a married couple. They're big Mormons still around here. They insisted that Brown was the one who did it. It's interesting that, you know, the suspects in this case had ties to the Mormon Church, and the Mormons were out defending Denton. I guess it leaked in directly by suggesting that Brown had something to do with it.
Speaker 9: They're kind of circle on the wagons.
Speaker 2: To protect That's what some people probably interpreted it to me. The Dodds are honorable people, you know, I don't think they. I don't think Anne Gore or the Dodgs would deliberately frame an innocent person. But it is interesting that, you know, Mormons were involved in this and taking up for people who had Mormon ties that were implicated in this case in some way. Genton and Ward.
Speaker 1: Melvin says his son John actually gave Christenton a haircut on January fifth, nineteen ninety two, the last day Kelly was seen in Gilmer.
Speaker 9: Chris Denton came over the Sunday that she disappeared, and my son John, who now is a federal law enforcement official, cut hair, cut hair for a lot of people, and he would usually do it in my mother's utility, which is her house is seventy five eight five ninety five yards or so from poor Is. They came over, I don't know it was I don't really remember the time, six pm or so, impossibly later, and it was christening and Marvin Pritchett and Brent Ward and John cut their hair and they said we're going to town once you go with John said okay. So after cutting all their hair, he got in the car. So the four of them, we're heading out to town. Well, Mama's got up moderately long driveway. Man, it's not one hundred yards, but it's a little bit long. And John said he just got a strong impression, don't go. See He told him chamber Line, I'm not going. So they stopped me got up and he's the only reason my son John was not up in Gilmer with them the night to Kelly Wilson disappeared. James Brown was trying to pin this on Chris Denton. Chris Denton had dated Kelly Wilson, and Chris Denton that his father is one of my absolute closest friends, and I liked Chris. But Chris at this time was a bad individual. Chris would take orders for goods from friends and then he would go to shopping malls and places, instell the stuff and then sell it to him at a rather reduced rate.
Speaker 4: So he was a thief.
Speaker 9: He was an organized thief. And Chris had a temper, and Chris had hip Kelly at least once, so Chris Denton was an incredibly good person to try to pin the death of Kelly Willison.
Speaker 1: All Melvin insists that Chris is innocent, So why did law enforcement come down so hard on the cousin Brent for lying about going to work that Sunday. Melvin says the cops were leaning on Brent, so he'd flip on Chris.
Speaker 9: He had to tell them about Chris Denton's involvement or there would be no amenity. He was going to have to lie to them and tell them that I know that Chris Denton killed Kelly Wilson. They were going to be able to prosecute him again then, or at least harassing like crazy. Brent Ward was accused of potury for claiming that he worked at Holly Lake, and as I said, victim, it was in the daytime. He never once claimed that he was working at Holly Lake at the time that Kelly disappeared when she got off work. He said that he was up there in town with Chris and Marvin Pritchett, but that he had asked them to take him home and they dropped He lived uptown and they dropped him off at his house. So if Chris Denton did kidnap her and killer, Brent Ward wasn't even with him. Now, Marvin Pritty would have been, but Brent was not well. Marvin was in the military by this time, and they brought Marvin here one time and questioned him for the grand jury, and then they dropped Marvin. Marvin was never bothered anymore about any of this, but Brent Ward and Chris Denton absolutely were.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of people in Gilmer. Melvin Dodd remains convinced that a devil cult murdered Kelly.
Speaker 9: I can guarantee you Chris Denton had nothing to do with the kidnapped, rape, and murder of Kelly Wilson.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what about this other name that keeps coming up up? The other guy who was with Chris Denton that night?
Speaker 3: I believe she was with Marvin Pritchett.
Speaker 1: I have not been able to find out much about Chris's friend Marvin. Kelly's friends say they don't remember him all that well. Like Chris and Brent, his family members were Latter Day Saints. He was a year ahead of Kelly AND's school and had already graduated when she was a senior. Marvin joined the United States Air Force in April nineteen ninety four. That's about a month after a judge dismissed the murder charges against Sergeant James York Brown and the other defendants. Records show Marvin's parents also moved away from East Texas three years after Kelly vanished. They settled in a rural area of the Pacific Northwest. Marvin has a sister named Cynthia. She goes by Cindy. She doesn't live in Gilmer anymore either. The other day someone gave me a tip. They told me to check out the comments on a YouTube video that came out back in the spring. The video is called The Devil's Cover Up Kelly Wilson. Marvin's sister, Cindy, was in the comments on a public forum for everyone with an Internet connection to read. I am from Gilmer. My little brother is Marvin Pritchett Junior. His best friend was Chris Denton, Kelly's boyfriend. At the time. My little brother and Chris flunked a light detector test. My little brother stuck to his story, but Chris told a different story on what time they got home. My little brother had to join the Air Force to keep the FBI off of him. My daddy told me that my little brother didn't get home from the party until the next day. At one My stepmother had to rinse little Marvin off outside with the house. My daddy had surgery and told me Chris and him seeing Kelly's boyfriend at the party and fought. Kelly was accidentally killed, and my little brother helped Chris bury her. The police at least never checked my Granny Pritchett's woods. I will talk and help, people, said Chris was giving a deathbed confession, but he would never tell on his church brother or church family that helped these boys get out of trouble for Kelly. Before we get any further, I just want to say that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. We've already had way too many unfounded allegations thrown around in the search for Kelly Wilson. But Cindy made these claims in a public forum on one of the Internet's most popular websites for the world to see. She said she was willing to talk and help. I had to get in touch with her. I tracked down a phone number that supposedly belonged to Cindy. I left a couple of voicemails, but never heard back. I sent her a Facebook message. She didn't respond to that either. I would have knocked on her door but she lives in another state and the timing just wasn't right for a long trip. I dropped a letter in the mail. I also sent a letter to Cindy's brother, Marvin. The next time I checked YouTube, most of Cindy's comments they were gone.
Speaker 3: At the tone. Please record your message. When you have finished recording, simply hang up.
Speaker 1: I finally got a phone number from Marvin. I briefly introduced myself and told him why I was calling. I recently read your sister's comments on YouTube, and I just wanted to reach out to you and say if you know anything that could help find Kelly and give her parents some answers. I really hope you'll consider doing so. And if your sister is just way off base, I really need to know that too. My number is five one, two seventy. I've given Marvin lots of opportunities to respond. As of right now, I still haven't heard back from him or his sister. Online. I did hear from a different Gilmer resident who said that Cindy's claims are lies and bs. This person declined to be interviewed, but she said she actually helped to search the Pritchett Woods on foot and horseback for Kelly. Later, when I got a call from Amanda Gamble, the private investigator who's searching for Kelly, I couldn't help but vent my frustration. I've actually still been trying to get in touch with Cindy Pritchett, and that's just so baffling to me that she would make all these crazy accusations on YouTube and then and she's like, I want to help, and then as soon as I reach out and I'm like, hey, here's your chance to help, then like she deletes most of the comments and does not respond.
Speaker 3: So I don't know. I'm sure her brother was like, you better take that shit off YouTube, but it.
Speaker 1: Had been it had been up there for like for seven seven months.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I mean, this is all.
Speaker 3: Very very very weird.
Speaker 1: But Amanda she'd actually called to talk about something else. She was chasing a different lead.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to tell you right now that's got me thrown for a loop and kind of shook.
Speaker 1: Coming up on part two of the season finale of Deviltown.
Speaker 6: I remember because how dramatic it was. I stopped at the stop sighn. After I left her house, somebody started beating on my side glass. I rolled my window down, and she said, Kelly Wilson, Kelly Wilson. He was obsessed with Kelly Wilson.
Speaker 1: A gilmerman convicted of nearly three dozen sex crimes. And he's obsessed with Kelly Wilson.
Speaker 6: And I don't know about a shrine that his house. He clippings all over Saint Luck. It might have been in the kitchen, all over the wall.
Speaker 1: And an anonymous tip leads investigators to the very same sex offenders former home, a cute little house that, by some strange coincidence, is now owned by one of Kelly's best friends.
Speaker 8: He is telling him that he's received an anonymous.
Speaker 6: Letter and it is saying that possibly Kelly is buried under our current home.
Speaker 1: The FBI's here, they're digging up. I mean, are you thinking, like, oh my gosh, like Kelly is is here. Deviltown is a production of Imperative Entertainment. It was written and created by me Wes Ferguson. Executive producer is Jason Hoak. Audio engineering and editing by Shane Freeman and Jason Hoak. Original score is by Robert Ellis. Recording by Austin Sisler at Eastside Studios. If you like the show, leave a review, and don't forget to tell your friends thanks for listening.