Speaker 1: You hear us talk about ways to unlock VIP membership through your Apple account and the Apple Podcast app, and also through Patreon or Spotify. To unlock a full VIP membership with full access to archives and ad free website and customizable podcast feeds that are compatible with the Apple Podcast app and many iOS and Android apps, along with streaming ability right from our ad free mobile site, go to pwtorch dot com slash go VIP. That's pwtorch dot com slash go VIP That'll give you all the details on everything you're missing out on by not being a VIP member, the whole array of VIP exclusive podcasts like The Way Keller news bulletins, our post pay per view roundtables, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, Everything with Rich and Wade, and an array of other shows with different hosts and different themes, along with unlocking our archives dating back nearly four decades nearly two thousand. Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletters over two decades, a podcast on demand dating back to the mid two thousand, starting with pay per view roundtables of fascinating retro radio shows, including many that I hosted in the nineteen nineties and an ad free website. Exclusive content on that website only for VIP members written and audio, and a lightning fast, smooth, AD free VIP mobile site for all of our content. Don't miss out on all the benefits. Treat yourself to a VIP membership. PW torch dot com slash Go VIP, go all the way, Go VIP, PW torch dot com, slash Go VIP Now, PW Torch and Speaker bring you the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling post show.
Speaker 2: It's time to talk this week's WWE Friday Night SmackDown.
Speaker 1: Our Derek had finally happened, or it's happening Kevin owens against Cmpunk. In the modern WWE era, it's not a surprise to see two babyfaces talking trash to each other with gray hair, And that's what we got again tonight. I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing out another two babyfaces where the fans are like, we like you, we like you, and then by the end you're like, oh, you made some good points. Maybe Punk is a phony who was a nice beep behind the scenes, and blah blah blah and all that, But honestly, I mean if we're gonna have an if we're gonna have an exception, and that's kind of been the case. Like these are compelling matchups between babyfaces, and you know, Kevin Owens is great. He was great aunts punk and he was he and Sammy were magic again. So you know, for a post Summer Slam kind of fresh set of circumstances, this is a good one. Give me your thoughts, Derek.
Speaker 2: I'll start positive and then i'll hit the negative, but I think you express both points. The positive is it's fresh, it's novel. We've never seen him wrestle, and I think it will be interesting not only to see them in the ring square off, but just tonight there is an energy when they were looking at each other, they're My favorite part of the promo is actually before they've talked on the mics, when they were just looking at each other and talking like it felt tense. It felt tense, and there probably is some some underlying tension there.
Speaker 1: He counts friends with the bucks in you know, that's like.
Speaker 2: You bring out good stuff if you can remain professional, which I think both guys are being or committed to do, and then it will be fresh in the ring as well. The negative is once again, as you mentioned, it is forcing fans to, at least some extent, to pick aside who they agree with more or who they agree with the most.
Speaker 1: Did you it didn't seem like Punk had a lot of material for Ko. It was more Ko saying things about Punk that is kind of a theme. I'll even throw up Chris Rucker's comment here in the chat. It's funny every restler Punk has feuded with since returning, even in AW has a beef with him for being a piece of shit to them. I mean, yeah, you know, I mean there, you know, it's like if everybody, yeah, I mean, what's the saying about if everybody you meet all day as an asshole, you might beat the asshole, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: And so, I mean I thought there were some biting comments from Ko, but I also thought it didn't enter any like meta nonsense like you know, like I mean, and so like Seth set the bar for that, Like, no one's gotten to that level where it's just, you know, there's a rebellion. And I do think there's a bit of a course correction. I think that would be has realized, Yeah, okay, we're not going to do that. We're we're going to do callbacks to indie seeing gripes Punk. You should wear a T shirt when you wrestle, Kevin Owens, like, that's not in w Cannon, but there is, like people can find out online. And as Cody Road says, and I was quote them, you shouldn't each older content to understand what's happening on the main show. And I get that, but like you said, you could tell there's tension here and they introduced enough that said okay, Punk paved the way, and Kevin Owens says, I appreciate it, and Punk did not need to say. I mean self there said they called me skinny fat, they meaning Paula Back, just to be clear. I mean I could have been others, but Paula Back. And then he's like, and you So they didn't want me, But I managed to get here because I called myself the best in the world and I had the bravado and the arrogance at the confidence to make it happen. And you're here because of that. Do you think they were waiting around for you? And then he looks at his gut, like Kevin Owen's gut, and like, look at you. If you think Skinny Fat wasn't gonna get a contract. Bear gut, bear gut McGee isn't gonna get one either. He didn't say that, I said it, sorry so, but yeah, I mean the off mic stuff I didn't pick up on, so I'm not quite sure what they said. I tried to replain, I couldn't pick up on it. And the off mic stuff can seem a little performative or you know, like it's the new work. Oh, they're really mad at each other and they don't want us to hear what they're saying, and it's a little bit of an eye roll. But I mean visually, the optics of it worked. And I'm with you, Derek. I think this feels, you know, just my phrase of the summer, let us buy in. And I felt that this segment allowed us to without taking us out of the like breaking down the fourth wall.
Speaker 2: And as well as not only did they not like dive into the meta, they still made it about winning the championship is the most important thing.
Speaker 1: Here, yep.
Speaker 2: And I don't mind the meta as long as as at the end of the day, we're talking about the importance of winning and becoming the champion, because that is the goal, and that's why we watch the matches for clarity.
Speaker 1: When you when I'm against meta, I'm against meta. When it says they made you world champion because you're Marketaville and you look the part for on a poster better yemen that in that, I'm never okay with. I don't think ever on a wrestling show should you talk about the result of a match is determined by somebody else. You should't allude to that there, especially because the easy fixes. You got more opportunities than you deserved because you look good on posters. Easy way to fix it. So don't say you were made champion because of XYZ. Say you had more opportunities to win the championship and they look the other way when when they went with me. That stuff works and these two are smart. I mean, say what you will about what Chao say. Dude, you must be so lowly on the pedestal you put yourself on and good line, good line, yep, yep, yep. I mean Kao's going to have them. And I wish money in the bank was three months away. I don't well, maybe i'd be sick of it, maybe less, it's more, but yeah, so just I want to be clear. The meta that I'm against is not references to the indie scene. The meta when I when I am making references and maybe I should have a better term and not overuse that. It's when you introduce into the narrative the idea that championship matches are not determined based on a real fight in the ring. That's a story they're telling. They should stick to it and then fans can buy into that world that they create. And it's so cheap and lame and eye rolling to try to go, well, I'm going to do what see I'm pump did in a way with a pipe bomb, and I'm going to break the fourth wall and talk about how fake it is to score points with you. And it's like, stop that that's an utter not.
Speaker 2: Just a blanket statement I'll make. Is anything that you say that undermines the competition that occurs in the ring is a net negative in allowing me to buy in to pro wrestling, and I will always push back against it.
Speaker 1: Exactly yep. So what do they Well, first of all, anything else stand out in the promo exchange for you? There's anything else you want to bring up that that you liked or didn't like in this. I know you sayt're gona talk about the good and the bad and anything else you want to add here.
Speaker 2: I like that Kevin Owen's got the final line. I like you know, and it was it was like a biting comment and it led to the shove and then I also I liked that they didn't brawl. It almost was more tense and more aggressive because it felt it feels more real when guys aren't throwing work punches at each other on day one, and I this was like an opening, like this is the opening shots, and then you can allow things to either heat up or cool down, leading to their first encounter, which I think they said was at the end of the month, and then going forward. I wouldn't mind. And they haven't done this for a while, so I think it would feel fresh where if they had more dominant hit bills, you could have CM Punk and Kevin Owens be partners of convenience where they earn each other's respect and then fight off heels. And I think that makes both of them better baby faces and tell the more well rounded stories that leaves them in a better place.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, let's pause and introduce ourselves briefly here, and then we'll throw up a couple more check comments, and then we'll get to Sean and Durrell, who are on hold to join us as callers on the show. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite Weight color podcasts and pw torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search pw Torch and subscribe to a VP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial, by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Weaightkeller post shows, the Weightkeler podcast, Flagship, our flashbacks, and also the pw Torch daily cast lineup. Again, all commercial free and nice dreamline listening experience. But with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, The Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Wade Keller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search PW Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. This is the way Keller Pro Wrestling Post Show for Friday, August seventh, twenty twenty six. I'm Way Keller, host of the show, editor, publisher and founder of the Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletter and the website pw torch dot com. I also host the Wea Keller podcast. In addition to this way Keller post shows, I also have dogs who sometimes marked during podcasts.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: These are my parents' dogs. I'm watching their in house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no problem. That's the show. And search for Wadekeller on your podcas cast app, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, any iOS orander Right app. Subscribe if you haven't yet. The Red Logo Show is the post shows and the green excuse me the green where did green comer? The Blue Logo Show is the regular podcast format where we pre record them. The Blue shows are never on YouTube and they are more at trud different podcast format. Rich Fan and I had a blast on the flake Ship earlier this week, going in depth on a variety of topics including brock Lesner, Dori Funk Junior, SummerSlam, fallout, and more. So check that out if you haven't yet. We also have some great flashback articles on both feeds. So if you're watching us on YouTube, subscribe to the podcast. If you're listening to us on the podcast, you were invited to join us live on the YouTube channel. We go live usually five or ten minutes and when we have technical issues fifteen minutes after the show's end, as happened today, and you can join us live. Just search ple you Torture Wait Keller on YouTube and you can find our shows and you can subscribe. You can also find a direct link in my TV reports written reports a cover start to finish in depth with analysis, raw dynam at insmackdown every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The link is in my TV report. It changes every show, so that link will take you to our live post show. And also we include a link a separate link to be a caller, and that's how Sean and Durrell got in the waiting room and you were invited if you're watching us live to be a caller. We'd love to have somebody who has been a wallflower to debut now or soon. So if you're listening to us on the podcast side of things, consider this a formal invite to put your face or at least your voice on the show and join the conversation. Also, I haven't mentioned it a lot, lady, but we won't mind hearing froms of on site correspondence who attend shows. If you want to join us and talk about being at the arena, you can arrange for that by emailing wead Teller post show at gmail dot com, Wade Keller post show at gmail dot com and let me know that you're interested in being an outside correspondent. Just give us, give me a little bit of notice and we'll arrange for a time that works for you to be on all right, join us live in the chat, you watching us on YouTube, Email us at weakelor Posho at gmail dot com if you'd rather do that. And I'll now introduce my coast Derek Hubbard. He's a PW Torch contributor. He is watching his parents' dogs and we're great. It's great to have him in the Coast chair again. Derek.
Speaker 2: Welcome, wait, thanks for having me. I enjoyed talking and pro wrestling. I don't get to do it enough. Most of the time I just watch by myself, so having someone to talk to you about it is definitely different for me. Most of the time, I'm just having dialogue with myself about the stuff I like or hate. So it's good.
Speaker 1: Love it, love it. You're welcome and appreciate and enjoy your analysis in our conversations as a caller, and now more long form, tell people by the way about you joining the PW Torch Team, and the columns that you that you write, the theme and also the latest one that you just put up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I write an article weekly called Then, Now, and Forever, where I choose a theme that hopefully is somewhat relevant to what's happening in wrestling today and then show examples of that scene from back in the day, something recent and probably the best example of it. So the one I did this week was about Summer Slam show stealers, those matches in Summer Slam's history that were the matches that everyone was talking about the night of and the night after the event was over.
Speaker 1: Awesome, All right, Well, I said, we'd include some check comments. So let's see by the way, just so people know, my browsers reframing slowly, so if I'm trying to I don't know if it's my am I sounding good, is my picture good? Or is it kind of glitchy.
Speaker 2: There was a little glitchy at the beginning, but I haven't noticed anything since.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm switching. I switch Wi Fi like a week.
Speaker 2: And now it just kicked them off. So it might just be me talking about pro wrestling. So maybe I'll look at some of the maybe I'll look at I'm of the channels wrestling. So it looks like Mark thinks that Ko has a chance of taking the strap Toronto. Isn't a bad choice. I would say that seems a little bit early for his journey, but I think it would definitely appease the live crowd, so it would be excited for then. The fact that he's in the title picture right off the bat, I think is promising for him, especially given the fact that given how long he's been in pro wrestling, we don't know how many years Ko has left. So as for your comment, Mark, if Kao was to win, I would be satisfied but somewhat surprised. I would say they're interested in hearing my thoughts on Jade's ring performance tonight. I'm not gonna blame all on Jade. I thought the match was shaky at best. The worst part of the match was the finish. The last two spots they hit were botched, and I think if they would have stuck the landing, I would have said it was passable. But because they didn't, I think it left people with a bad taste in their mouth, even if they got a quite exciting debut from Tatum Pasley, who if you watch your journey on NXT, you're probably like me where you're excited to see what she does, and it was quite promising that she was introduced at the end of the show in a top level main event. So for Tatum, I hope that that's a good sign for things to come. She's definitely a quirky, interesting character who. If you've watched NXT, it's one of those exciting stories where you've seen her progress and get better from year to year, where now that she's on the main roster, if you've been watching her journey, you probably feel like I feel, which is she's ready. Let's push play and see where she goes. So I'm excited for Tatum, and it seems like a lot of you guys are as well. Adam kitt agrees the main event was sloppy.
Speaker 1: Thanks Seric for taking over as my my technical issues whatever they were kicked in go ahead. Finished with that.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean to well, there was some comments about the main events they mentioned. The sloppiness of it definitely apparent, and I know Jade will take the burden of the blame for it, but I won't lie. A lot of times Charlotte looks very shaky to me as well. It almost feels like she doesn't have her feet under her anymore, and a lot of times she lacks confidence. I think if they would have hit those last two spots after Tatum's debut, it would have been a passable match. But the fact that they didn't stick the landing, I think leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, all right, so let's throw some comments up on punk Ko and comment on those again if I can get my browser to cooperate. Durrell says it was good they started. There's such an annoying like here apologized to listen for that with my issues here hold with me. Is okay? Now things seem to be rolling here. Sean Push just says yeah, Kao has not been likable as a character for most of his run. I actually i'll throw to you, Derek on that. I don't think we kind of covered like, did you do you think there's a desire to steer us one way or the other in how that they are presenting this so far? Or is this just a pick them? You guys go give it your best shot. Kao says bring it. Punk says bring it. We'll let the fans decide. I'm confident I can hold my own and and there's no like and I'm not, by the way, I am in favor of promoters having an idea who they want fans to cheer it boo in most cases, but you know, sometimes you just don't. What do you think is happening here?
Speaker 2: My initial thought was a pick them, But then when I think of how the segment played out, and I know how they're does the fact that they gave Kevin Owens the last line, I think they want they were asking the fans more to give him the ending favorable response, which, if anything was to steer somebody one way. It would be to steer on Owen's side because he got the last line.
Speaker 1: Do you how do you think the crowd will respond? Punk's been around more, He's been a stand up guy, you know. I mean, he says, you know, I'm not happy Cody, and we'll talk about Cody and Punk. Obviously. That's another big segment here, followed to the summer slam matsh but Punk was a stand up gual. He goes, Cody, I'm mad. I'm not as mad as you, but I'm mad at at Randy Orton interfering. He said something along those lines on the Post show too, So I mean, you know, Punk is not like saying outlandish things, are acting selfish or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think also Sam Punk's one of those teflon characters where his qualities that as a human you would say are vice are some of the reasons that people like him. Like if I call Seampunk a prick I think that's the people who are the most ardent fans of CM Punk. His prickliness is what they like about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like criticizing for something, criticizing somebody for something to take pride in, and they kind of just own it. So as long as he doesn't become too defensive, I think the fans who support him that is the reason they support him. And Kevin Owens is kind of the same, Like he's got this toxic sarcasm that when you see a toxic sarcasm, if it's played off against a babyface that people like a lot, it's healish that even when it's helish, you're like, well that was a good line. Well that was a good comeback. And it's a likable quality because it's a defining characteristic that makes him.
Speaker 1: Who he is and Keo is what he's just you shouldn't being entertaining, shouldn't like be the be all end on in terms where you get sheirt or booed. But there is something so self confident, matter of fact and and and distinct about Kevin owens delivery that it makes him, you know, somebody who you want to you have you want to be sympathetic to whatever argument he's making when he makes it, because he is there is a quick wit, just a matter of fact, dry delivery to to what he does. And and so yeah, I mean it's it's it's fascinating watching these two go at it. Derek Mitchell says, Punk and Kao, we're like a first round boxing match for both boxers are just feeling each other out. I think that's a really good analogy, dere I appreciate that. And and and we'll get we'll get more.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Derek Mitchell also says, I find myself rooting for Ko in this title chase, but ultimately no, Kevin Owens won't win the w W title from Punk. Do we know that?
Speaker 2: The fact that Sammy Zaine won the title out of nowhere, the fact that they do that every now every so often allows for those possibilities to still be on the table, which makes you invested in the match is even if you deem it to be unlikely.
Speaker 1: Hm.
Speaker 2: So, I think it's smart to have those out of the blue changes every now and then because it keeps us on our edge, in the edge of our seats, wondering could it happened this time? And that's how I feel about Ko winning the championship. It's a great feel good story. And if it happened in Toronto, you know that that would be that would be an astounding pop and a huge feel good story for a lot of the long term fans of Kevin Owens, who the guy who was almost lost his wrestling career and came out back after seventeen months. I mean, that's a story that even the most jaded fan would cheer for, right.
Speaker 1: Yep yep. Another comment from Derek, and then we'll go on to some other people's comments. It's a really good forward to this. From Kale's perspective, it's easy to see why he'd resent Punk as he comes across his condescending and full of himself, much like Aaron Rodgers and hard to root for. I've heard Aaron Rodgers comparison with see on Punk before. I I don't think it's entirely wrong. I think they're different people, and I don't think they go to the ballot box with the same issues in mind, for instance, But you know, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their opinion they're they're stubbornly. Their opinions are there's a stubbornness to how they see themselves and see the world that's probably at odds with a lot of other people. And they're not willing to change even if they say they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and like as I said, with Punk, I think there's so many times he's been right, and like, I think he's right about most things in wrestling, and otherwise like not all. I mean, I obviously I don't. But by the time he's done explaining how right he is and how foolish you are not to see things exactly as he sees them, you resent him being right. And that happens when he tries to get things to change behind the scenes in a w or WWE we see it. There's something about his delivery that comes across as you're right. But now, just despite you, I'm going to go against my own beliefs because you piss me off, you know, because you're you're you're you're being a punk.
Speaker 2: And I think most people in their lives, whether it's a coworker or a parent when you're younger, has had that experience. Where is that somebody who you just want them to be wrong you It doesn't even matter if you lose, because they're wrong.
Speaker 1: You just want them to be wrong exactly. Yep, yep uh. Vinnie Glakin says, I think Kao's the latest to call Punk out for being a thin skinned fraud. Everybody has their like summary of of Kao's characterization of Punk here.
Speaker 2: But it's all accurate.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean Punk has been thin skinned. I don't want this to turn into a whole psychoanalysis of Punk, but I mean that, you know it is. It's right, it's here tonight on SmackDown. I mean, we're not like out of know, we're bringing it up. That is, That is how Punk's being portrayed. I don't know, you know, you wonder. I know this is sort of parandetical to this, but how much more popular and how much more of a draw would Punk be if he didn't spend every feud having wrestlers who people respect and like or are just really articulate and persuasive. Make a case that maybe you're worshiping a Punk is ignoring a lot of things that if you knew him a little better, you wouldn't like him so much.
Speaker 2: It might it might kind of start erasing some of his authenticity though, because once again, I think, like the things that I see in him that are our vice from a human perspective are some of the reasons that people like him unapologetically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there, and he owned it tonight, you know, I mean he did say that his it was in the in the storyline of his character, but saying I'm the best in the world might great on people, might rub people the wrong way. But that's that is that arrogance is what got me here with my skinny, fat body, you know. I mean, that's what got me into a company that hired people who look different than me. Mister Rock City eighty six, Welcome to the chat. He says, I need to see Ko beat Punk. He deserves another tut of run after all the amazing work he has done this past decade. Yeah, I mean, I don't want to out title shots because someone deserves it because they worked hard. I think that you should be world champion because it's the best story that they can tell of all options. When you start giving it out like gold watches or because someone was a good a good employee or it's been a long time, I don't that is it that that will help break a tie? Like if you're not sure, you know, I should We showed me while this guy's been X y Z, let's do it. If somebody has been the opposite, then you might not do it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: That said, I'm not I'm not against it, but and I'm not even against hot potato with title belts. Derek. You know, like I'm every once in a while, I kind of like the idea that in a eight month period or fourteen month period the title changes six times and then have someone to hold it for a year and a half or two years. You know that that cadence is I think makes keeps you on edge a little bit. So it's like having your secondary moves win a match every semi regularly. H Yeah, so you don't just got what wasn't as so he's gonna kick out. There's things you do just to keep people on edge. So I'm not against Ko. And then we've got Sammy in the mix, and their interaction was great, so you could have Ko beat Punk and then Sammy got a shot win or not, and then you got Cody waiting in the wings, and who knows what happens with Randy Orton.
Speaker 2: So and I'm not like you mentioned, follow the story if it's the if it's the best story to tell at the time. I'm also a guy who says followed the momentum, where if that story has momentum and you can feel it building from week to week, and even if it's not in your plans, that's sometimes where you're like, screw the plan. We got to play the hot hand, and and I'm I'm for that sometimes not always time, but sometimes yep.
Speaker 1: I don't think Titus O'Neill should have been out to be champion, but I think when there was that little slever of time, when when the crowd is really really into him, they could have gotten more out of them. Yes, but they told themselves, well, he's got two left feet and he's you know, it doesn't take whatever all the I don't want like. They had their criticisms of him, and it came over time. We kind of said, Okay, you're not a guy who want to build around, but yeah, sometimes you just go for it. Now we're in the danaus In phase where they've overdone it, you know.
Speaker 2: And and but never on the show tonight, though I know, yes, in fact, I don't think there was any frivolous comedic segment tonight at all.
Speaker 1: No, there was our truth thought in at Doom, the Rotors and Hocket Animal are three teams.
Speaker 2: But I laughed at that though.
Speaker 1: I'm just sometimes some weeks ar truths better than others. But we had every week. Archer says something in Priest corrects and we still had that. So okay, I.
Speaker 2: Like Priest that dynamic though, Priest playing the straight man who's not mean to truth per se but does like correct him. And he's like your friend who's annoying as all hell, but you keep him around because it's hard for you to admit that you're amused by him as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, his exasperation and instant forgiveness is his is a trait with see Weekly.
Speaker 5: Need an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts, will come join me Alan fororel Over in the Progress Paradise at Pterboo Torch vip as we mask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico. There's always a place for wrestlings past in the Paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian Thunderliger and our eye was there when shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed pwof Torch VIP subscription information and a list of all the VIP benefits is available at pterwrew torch vipinfo dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile side. See you in the Paradise.
Speaker 1: Mark Bisquetti says punk Ko have their own versions of the realist guy in the room characters. They didn't feel like they tore each other down so much as making me feel like I'm a fly on the wall of a heated moment. I think that's fair. I think that's what they're going for. Yep too, Yep, I felt it.
Speaker 2: That was that was the the tense atmosphere that was created from the start.
Speaker 1: Yep. There's a comment along those lines here that I will scroll to if I can. Well, um, I'll get to it. When I get to it, I will not go out to order here. JF. Pollard says punk and Owens are two of the few in the industry who can make it feel real and personal. Sean Plickeda says, yeah, they need to let it simmer. I love Punk, saying you can handle it without fighting. Mark Bisketti says Punk look to all this to do something before it got physical. It was subtle, but it added a nice touch interesting standard Vase said, Punk Owens was absolutely fantastic. One of the best promos I've seen in a year. Uh Pilder Repeat says, I agreed. I think the best part about Punk's promo is making the title mean the most. Yeah, um, all right, No, I had something else highly here though, oh here, here, Here's what I was looking for. Vinet said, I liked the little subtlety of trying to hear Punk and Kao trash talk without Mike's in the beginning. Anytime Derek you can get someone to lean into the soundbar because they want to hear what's being said, that's a win. I mean that means, you know, there's a lot of shouting and you kind of can tune it out or whatever. It feels performative. And but like if you're leaning in to try to pick up on what Russells are saying, you care and it means you're, yeah, you're you're you're buying into it, all right. Sue let's see. I know we've got some more comments here. Standobation says Punk and ducts himself as a consummate professional on camera, so the repeated jabs at his personal flows in real life began to feel less authentic the longer viewers see him as a professional on TV. Interesting, So he is on good behavior on TV except that one week a few months ago where he was mad at somebody online and he was just in a mood and he was just raging on TV and I asked around and I was like, I heard, oh, yeah, he was really mad at somebody in social media, and that's where that that comment came from. And a couple a few weeks ago he said something about some you know online people have things to say about him. So everyone's while it slips through that like it feels like it if with everything that's said just in Cannon and WWE, it feels like it takes a lot of will power for Punk to beat the professional, level headed, plane spoken, calm guy that he is the best majority of the time on TV. But there's something to what standard Debation says in the chat, which is is it gonna start to ring hollow when people go, oh, you're a jerk when they don't really see a lot of that. I mean, there's a footage of him in the elevator lobby and you know, years and years ago with a fan and the crowd, and what happened with that press conference in AW I mean, there's plenty four ice to see. But on WTV, I mean he is he gets a you know, five out of five score on you know, the good Employee ranking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's in canon as well. The other part of the promo that I appreciated is when Cody came out and they didn't hide from the fact that Randy Orton changed the outcome of the title match. They brought it up, and they brought it up in a respectable manner. And also he was the honorable champion who says you deserve a rematch and I didn't know Randy was there, and I appreciated that, like that was something that should have been underlined and highlighted. It highlighted, and they underlined and highlighted it in the opening problem before they went on to the next thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, standy Ovation says, I rewound and turned up the volume when they were talking off mic, So it worked on me lol. Ur La nineteen eighty four says, wait, honestly, I don't try to think about the behind the scenes characters when analyzing promoles because I probably hate every one of them in different ways. Hey, you know what, there's something about love the art, not the artist, don't ye The ignorance is bliss is a is a cliche saying for a reason.
Speaker 2: There's that saying too, don't meet your heroes or don't and nowadays it's more like, don't look up your heroes online to see the skeletons in their closet and to find out the things about them that are unsavory that make you like them less. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's enjoy the entertainment. I mean, obviously there's a line someone can cross, you like, I'm going to go out of my way to not support them. But there is something about how public Like there's a lot of things in the pre Internet era about people who are famous and a lot of unfamous people who you know in other eras. It's just there wasn't a way to find the stuff out in now. It is just it's human humans on earth, you know whatever. All right, Standarvation says I feel like they've sufficiently signed posted to me that chaos a guy's supposed to get behind. Tonight's framing was clearer than usual for me.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I can feel I can feel that too. I could feel that too. But the default from the guy who's coming back from a career ending neck injury, the default is you should have kind of an aura of good feeling about their return and wanting to see them to succeed at the highest level.
Speaker 1: Yep. Back to Aaron Rodgers, Vinnie Watkin says, yeah, see I punking Aaron Rodgers are very similar characters. I say this as a Steelers fan and someone that used to love punk as a kid in twenty eleven. Yep, yep. It comes up semi regularly for a reason for sure. All Right, Chris Rucker says Punk made fun of Rock about his Goosebumps motion, but then he did it tonight during Kao's entrance. What an asshole.
Speaker 2: So you're saying he's a hypocrite, he is a hippote. Let's be honest in many ways.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought I probably don't have the context here, but Sean, I thought Punk was genuine, but it did look awful. Lol, will ask him what that's about Adam Kid says, yeah, punk just naturally comes off as an asshole. Oh, this is something standard AASI said Punk mock clapping Kevin Owens after KAO spoke about me on for seventeen months position KAO is the guy who's supposed to cheer the most. So there's a specific example.
Speaker 2: And I had a hard time reading that, Like I didn't know if it was like a legitimate clap or like a sarcastic yep clap, because initially I was thinking sarcasm, but then it almost seemed a little bit more like heartfelt congratulations. So I didn't know how to read that.
Speaker 1: I was about to say the same thing I like, cause I type up reports for people who don't see the show or they want to see what I'm saying about the show online while the show's on the air. By the way, check out my reports at PW Torch. You know, have a Tabor browser open, get away from social media or whatever.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 1: If you've just actually just watched the show without a second screen, that'd be my first recommendation. If you're watching the show, just settle in and watch at commercial breaks, open up your phone laptop, see what I'm saying about it, that's cool, And in my report I struggled to characterize it. I think I took out sarcastic or mock, but I had it typed in and I deleted it, and for the I was like, because all of a sudden, I heard thumping and I was looking at my computer screen and I looked up and it's like, what's that thumping noise? Like someone is hitting a bastrum, but it's punk clapping and the mic was making a bass rum sound. And the cadence was slow, which is normally when you're mocking somebody, but nothing else about it said mocking. It almost came across like I Am going to respectfully acknowledge that I'm happy that you're back without being obnoxious to interrupt your cadence Kale while you're talking, like, I just think it could have been red wrong. And by the way I'm told, one of the things that has frustrated punk over here again gain a psychoanalysis here is he feels like he gets bewildered at people's reactions to him because they get interpreted either differently than he intended or they reveal more than he think he revealed. In the way he reacted to something, and that is a source of frustration. According to people I know who have talked to him and been around him with him, that he doesn't understand people's reactions to what he does, and it kind of gets into I think he sees himself as very socially aware, very self aware of how he comes across, very confident as a communicator. So but he also it's I don't know if it thin skin is the right word, but he really reacts poorly to people misinterpreting what he meant or reading more into what he did. And and this might be like a small example of that, Like there's something about the way that he interacts with other humans that causes that leads to misunderstandings, which then sets them off because it's so frustrating for him, and it's super but I think it's subtle enough where you could kind of see like, again, I'm maybe I'm making more out of this than I should, but maybe this is the type of thing that happens where he does something he needs nothing by it, and we think he's being a dick. Yeah, So I feel like I'm kind of defending him and saying that I'm not sure I'm just I'm just talking. All right, let's see. Okay, Well there's a couple more Commson will get to calls. Adam Kidd says, I love Punk and Ko. I'm happy either way. I'm just gonna enjoy the ride. Yeah, the ride to the match. That's kind of how I feel. I mean, I just they're so good on microphone, and I mean there's a chance they get under each other's skin in a legit way. I don't think they should like aim for that to be part of the story. But bought reading body language, and you know, it's like Rock and Sina and punkin Sena and all the all the things we've seen where it's like, huh, you know, if these two aren't best friends, maybe that's a moment where you know you're gritting your you know, one of them is gritting their teeth, not wanting. I think I think Kevin owens It genuinely is secure enough. Like I think he's like, I got my I got my family, I got my career. I'm grateful to have this chance to be back in the ring. I can't believe with my gut that w We ever hired me in the first place. You know, he'd be there dating about that, and the.
Speaker 2: Piggyback on a lot of the positive comments. I think this was like one of those we always kind of wanted to see what it would be like when Kevin Owens and see him Punk stood face to face. It's set the right mood and now it's going to be open for over psychoanalysis and over analyzing things and all of these other nuances. And that's because we're so interested in it, because it's set that standard of Oh, I want to see this. This intrigues me. This definitely has my engagement and at this point my enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: Yes, as entertaining as Sammy is being insecure. There's something fascinating about two extremely well spoken, quick witted, quick thinking, clever people going back and forth on the mike who both want to be seen as I mean, I think Ko knows his career won't match seam Punks in whatever sort of stand old newstand magazine, realm of title reigns and drawing power in main events and all that. But I think, like I said, I think Kevin Owens is super happy with this life. I don't know, I mean, I think it's happy with his life. I think you'd rather not have missed seventeen months with the health issue. But he comes across as somebody who just he's happy with himself in his life, and Pump comes across as somebody who's soone happy with other people he can't be happy with his life too often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's a healthy competition and also a nice juxposition to They have similarities, but it's their differences that is going to distinguish them from each other, which is going to make it. It could lead to conflict, but it also could make it very complimentary and building fan interest.
Speaker 1: I want them to not get infatuated with what you just said, even though that will inevitably be part of it. I want it to seem like that's happenstance, almost accidental, and a parenthetical, a sidebar. I want I want the focus not to be how can we get under each other's skin. I want it to be what can I say about this match that will give me a mental edge going into it, and then it just happens to be what we're talking about. That's fascinating. But I want Kevin Owens I wanted to come across. I don't need it. I don't need the announcers to explain it to us in an expository sort of way. Look at Koh, he is trying to get under into Punk's mind and overdo it. But I don't mind a little hint, Like Kevin Owen said that you can see in Punk's face that threw him off. Ko knows one of his advantages. After all his time away from the ring, and Punk's been I mean, he's been gassed in the ring lately, but that's whole. But they can tell the story Punk is Punk has his legs under his restling legs in Ko has been gone for year and a half. Ko deep down might be a little insecure about what he if he if he's going to be able to keep up with Punk, or how everything's gonna healthwise, is going to work out for him, so he needs the advantage to get in Punk's head and under his skin, and then vice versa. Punk is a master at mind game, so I want I want the story to be they're playing head games with each other to try to get a mental ledge going into the match, not Hey, let's all hold up scorecards to see who won on insults. And I think it's a small difference, but it's it makes all the difference in the world. I think for fans fuel to buy in and be thinking about the right thing when they're watching it.
Speaker 2: And the one way you can always correct course if you start veering off what you just said is make it about the match. Make it about winning the match. At the end of the promo, that's what we should take is this is a very important match, and it's very important for each of these guys to win because not only is it beating the other guy, but it's beating the other guy for the biggest prize in the industry. That should be very important.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, piler E repeat in the chat says, Punk says he's the best in the world. He old is a top title. Hard to disagree. My issue with that this and I want to table this for later in the show because it's a whole other topic. But Punk acknowledged he did not beat Cody and really settle the score clean. But I also don't think you can do that and then concurrently say you're the best in the world when you won because of interference. It's sort of like Kathy Kelly going you upset trick twice. Baron Corbin talk about it. How about how about the interviewer goes up to Baron Corben and says, you know, you got a two to zero record against Trick, but you know what, nobody thinks you're better than him because both times were tainted. That's what the interviewer should say, that they are report or they shouldn't be sitting here treating everything neutral. And that's what the announcers are doing too. They just everything is like this neutral headline, like there's no right or wrong. That would be biased and we can't be biased. It's like, no, we didn't learn who the better restaurant was between Punk and Cody, and I want that to be an outstanding issue, and frankly, I want it to be something that seems like it's eating up Punk that Punk's like, all I want to do is beat Cody without Randy Orton's interference. And now Kevin o'ds you're number one contender and I got to focus on you while everybody's thinking do I even deserve this title? Because Randy Orton took that from me? And I know Deboie's like, oh, we don't want the focus to be on things that aren't right in front of us, But I want to buy in to these real human beings having complex thoughts that they express, and they don't just turn the page because it's the next time. It's where it's time to promote the next match. I think viewers can handle it. It doesn't be talked about constantly, but the five days six days after this tainted victory where nothing was proven, I want punk to be kind of hung up on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this doesn't one hundred percent mitigate what you're talking about. But I did appreciate the line he said where he said I'm mad about it, but I'm not as mad as you are, yep, because that, to me is like a champion who takes pride in proving without a shadow of doubt that he's the best totally. And I'm glad he brought that up, and.
Speaker 1: I mentioned that, I think earlier in the show or unless I thought it, and I like that. My issue is take it the next step further. And when you're saying I am the best in the world, and this is it is triggered because pol of repeatzas he holds a top title, it's hard to disagree it's best in the world right now. In the realm of w W E the world that we that we get a window in two every week. We don't Punk is. Punk's not the best in the world. He's not not the best in the world. It's just that's why I said it was gonna get in it. But the whole point of that Delwdie sells us on this match, find out who's better between Cody and Punk, and then Joe Testor can't express an opinion that that got cheat, that we got cheated out of that, and they're scared that it's going to bounce back. It's kind of like when in De Wite Unreal where Paula echoes John Cena wanted to have intentionally bad matches and we told him that's not gonna get heat on you, that's gonna get heat on us. In twenty twenty six, twenty five, they're gonna know we're booking it and we're boring. Then we can't do that. John. John's wrestling IQ not the highest. I will stand by that for a top guy, very very much well below average, and that's I think an example of a lot of things John presents. It get like he gets tucked out of it, but people make him think it was his idea, and so you you ought to have a willingness to tell the right story regard if telling the right story is gonna make people think you're booking sucks, then don't make your booking sucks so that you can tell a good faith story after what you do. My point is own what you do. Have characters react naturally to what happens, and if that reflects poorly on you as a booker, because you're scared fans are going to go, well, yeah, we didn't really solve anything, and I paid one thousand dollars for my sorce. I'm taking in fluid to Minneapolis, and you're right. I was cool to Randy, but I didn't the whole point of the match. We'll see who is better between Cody and Punk. And I'm mad at Paula Vack for booking that finish. I think they're genuinely worried about drawing attention to that and having the lead announcer go, we didn't really solve anything on Saturday, but it's still there. And so now not only did you have a booking decision that took away the whole selling point of the match, but now you're conning the fans gaslighting the fans. You're not You're chipping away at goodwill by not owning what happened and framing it the way that it should be framed. This were a real sport, which is I want Joe Tessitur to say the fans are channing Randy, But there are a lot of fans in Minneapolis who who they were excited to see Randy, but when all the dust settled, Randy cost them a chance to find out who was better between Punk and Cody. I don't think that's her. I think there's more good than bad that comes from that. Introducing that officially into the narrative, and then I want Punk to lean a little more into it and go I wear this title. I believe I'm the best in the world, but my first title defense is tainted and beating Uko is step one and getting improving it. But I gotta beat Cody again. But now you're standing in front of me, like there's a way to frame it, Derek, where you're getting people excited about two matches, and you're also letting them know we're owning what we did.
Speaker 2: And I think you in that last line that you just gave is what I prefer if you're going to do it, own it, yeh, don't hide from it, don't run from it. And it was made that finish was made to at least get some heat on Randy Orton to set them up as the heel going into a feud with Cody Rhodes.
Speaker 3: YEP.
Speaker 2: Announcers could underline the fact that this makes Randy Orton a heel not only because he's a jerk, but because he ruined the title match.
Speaker 1: Yep exactly. And if you acknowledge it, it feels like you're aware enough to try to protect it in the future instead of it feeling like a con where we're going to tell you the reason to be into this match is this born total control of whether we give you the answer to the question that we say is we are selling you that is vitally important and we are telling you go to the building by ESPN Unlimited watch this match. You can find out who's better. But we're also in control of taking that away from you. And now next time you sell us on the importance of a match, you lose goodwill. It's just whether people are revertly thinking about it or not. That sense of I'm tuning in and I'm going to see the outcome that they're selling me on is there or not there, depending on how they follow up on it.
Speaker 2: All right, Also, if you don't do it too often, I think maybe one of the problems is they've just they've done these cop out finishes so often that they don't want to highlight them and draw attention to them, because then it's obvious that you do them too often. So that's an indicator that you're doing them too much.
Speaker 1: So pull back absolutely. Jase Scooby says, by the way, Seampunk's nothing like Aaron Rodgers. You can elaborate on that. I don't think like politically their views on all kinds of things. Punk's right, Aaron's wrong.
Speaker 2: Personality traits, their personality traits have similarities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're not mirror. I mean, there are things about Aaron Rodgers that are different than Punk beyond just there's an arrogance to how right they are. And it just so happens. Punk is right about the vast majority of things that he has a strong opinion on, and he makes you resent him for it by the time he's on, you know, convincing people who don't get who don't see what's apparent him. Aaron Rodgers is wrong about almost everything, but you also resent him because he's so arrogant and he thinks he knows everything he doesn't.
Speaker 2: All right, And both guys will never admit they were wrong even when they find out they are, which is like one of my biggest, uh my biggest complaints about the society in which we live in. Yeah, just if something comes out and you were wrong about it, just say that you made a mistake. For goodness sake, we can be adults.
Speaker 1: When your whole identity is wrapped up in how smart you are and how ahead of the curve you are. Like, I know people who their pride is being ahead of the curve, and so they'll jump on anything that Joe Rogan has a guest who doesn't have any foundational science to back up anything they're saying. But it was a compelling conversation and it made me think, so now I want to be ahead of the curve on the modern snake oil theory of the day. And it's like when when Aaron Rodgers and t Umpunker, I think, now we're very psychoanalyzing punking. And I didn't want to do this but I think Punk does want to be right, wants to be a little ahead on this stuff, and Aaron Rodgers certainly puts himself out there. Let me let me pontificate about something that I'm not an expert on. But I read a couple articles and talk to somebody, and now I have this thing that everyone should follow me on. And it's just like he couldn't be like more proven wrong, like you say, Derek over and over, but he'll he's just many you got me clever enough to ignore a distract or deflect from it. Adam Kid says, yes, there's just an arrogance about everything they both say, and he's talking about Ko and Punk and storyline more so. But Jason Scooby underlines, yeah, Ko got the last word, but the champ gets the music. The music at the end and the segment walkout, So in that sense, he's saying, you know, maybe it even out a bit. You know that last segment you're just listening to and the next one that you're waiting to listen to, those can be one second apart. With a VP membership, you can lock our commercial free versions of our shows pw Torch dot com, slash Go VIP tells you how to do it. That's pw torch dot com slash Go VIP options exist within the Apple podcast app using your Apple account through Patreon, which by the way, you can sync up with Spotify or just about any iOS or Android app. With a full VIP membership, you can customize the feed for individual shows and clusters of shows and themes. Go to pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on all the options to listen commercial free and with upper tier options unlock our VP exclusive podcast run throughout the week every week. All right, all right, let's uh, let's go to good Fellow. I'll put this up. I'll love it and to wait. He doesn't want to talk about it again, but always does. I enjoyed every time you do, though, thank you, I thank you, I thank you.
Speaker 2: It's very similar to my mother and politics. Time she says she doesn't want to talk about it anymore. I know a fifteen minute, and I mean in.
Speaker 1: My defense and in this context, not all contexts, but in this context, I am just putting chat comments up and I want to give everybody a voice, and so when I get to it, I don't want to when I say I don't want to talk about it, and then there's a chat comment, and then I want to like comment on the chat comment. That's when I sort of apologize for it. I hope I'm not repeating myself, but adding new dimensions to it. Hopefully all right. Derek says punkin Sissy is best in the world. That rings hollow, considering Roman is still the top guy in the company. They weren't the Maine to mant A Summer Slim Night one, as that honor went to Ober versus Brocket Helena Cell. That's an ongoing issue. It's problem with having two world title bults. Try explaining that to a non fan, you know. Uh, Standardation says by framing Punk's current title is the top prize in the world, they're no selling the meaning of his lost to Roman in the biggest match of the year at Wresselemania. Yeah it's fair. Yeah again, Yeah, that should be brought up. Crofton says, I thought it was interesting that wayde Berrett mentioned that kone Punk had a lot of history, but they were asked not to go into it.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that too. You don't have to tell us everything when it when it happened outside of the company, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then but he goes it might have it was a bit odd, but it might have been a strategy to get us to google it interesting maybe, Yeah, I mean, it works either way, it works either way. Good fellow ads, by the way, thank you for the community.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 1: I love being able to come on here and talk wraps. Of course, it's it's so fun. All right, let's let's go to uh Sean Plicta and get his thoughts. He loves that. I trip over his name as I try to actually get it right. He's laughing. It's hard to break a hap. I'm just gonna go Sean from Tennessee again and just not even not even deal with it.
Speaker 4: But but see, if you do, Wade, then you gotta at some point in time, playing my song. It's my song. Mike gave me my song. I gotta get my song every every once in a blue mood. Come on, come on, I.
Speaker 1: Got it, I got I get you. We'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 4: I mean, I it surprised me. It'll be great. And whenever it happens, it'll be great. I'll be thankful. I'll just be very thankful, very humble. No, a lot of good points tonight, a lot of the chat has been on fire. It's been fun to be in the chat for a little bit.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: I just want to bring up with Punk and Kao, like we've all been talking about. I just want I still even though they had good things like Ko of course talking about being on for seventeen months, like you said, Derek, it makes me want to get behind him. But then he's still saying, you know, Punk's a piece of crap and all this stuff. It's like my goal again, and Wade, You've talked about it and I want you to be consistent, and I'm more than you on this. I want somebody to cheer in, somebody to boo. And there's still Punk is still making me want to get behind him. He's still saying I think I'm the best in the world. I'm still like he's the Cody stuff before showed that. He's like, hey, I'm mad that this happened. I wish I want it the right way. It didn't, you know. I still we don't like both guys generally, and I want to root against somebody and root for somebody, and they always do that right now, and it's driving me crazy and it's good promo. And the promo was good. I enjoyed it, but I want it to lean more in the next coming weeks of who am I supposed to truly get behind the one person I want to root for, and I want it to be Ko in a lot of ways because I KO just got back and I love them, but I hunk I like too, So just make it clear, goad there.
Speaker 2: So, Sean. I think the one thing that I can kind of set my head on that might make it all right, which they did actually do with seth Rollins and Roman Reigns, is at the end of the day, as long as they show respect for each other. I don't need everybody to love each other and hug it out. But at the end of the day, after they have their match, if they show respect to each other, I actually like them both more. And if you can have that babyface babyface match. I mean, that's what Chad Gable and Pensa did. They have a competitive match. Seth Rawlins and Roman Rans have a competitive match, but at the end of the day, one guy wins, the other guy loses, and then they show respect for each other. And then I'm like, even if the guy I like lost. I have respect for him more because he put up a good fight and then he was honorable in defeat, which is one of the best qualities you can have as a human.
Speaker 4: Well, and I want true heels too, like I mean, obviously Orton didn't and I'll talk about that in a minute too, but yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like, I just want there to be other than you know, I mean, Gunther's done a great job and Sammy's you know, turning into that, which has been great, but you know, just give me some good guys to get to root against. And I think one of these guys can do that, and I just I just want them. I'd rather them because again, Cody Punk kind of did that. I mean they kind of did even though they were having issues, but they still had respect for each other. It was still overall like I have respect for you, and tonight they did that. I mean, they had respect for each other. But like every match, big match can't be that way, you know, every once in a while do it. So I want to go to Randy and Cody because I loved everything about that tonight.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: I just I love again Cody Adam's gonna hate me. But Cody's genuine. I love everything about Cody. Tonight he said, you know, asked him? Just asked him? Or do you did you know it wasn't gonna happen?
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 4: He's like, no, Okay, I respect that, Sam Punk, You're champion. You know, even though he doesn't feel, probably in his part that he that he is because he knows he got screwed. But he's not gonna complain like a whiner and be a baby about it.
Speaker 2: He wasn't.
Speaker 4: He was very genuine about it. And then when Cody and Randy started having their stuff and Randy just is leaning into the heel, which I love. He can do it. The fans will get go against him. They will. It'll take, you know, a couple of weeks, but they will, and he'll have some vicious attacks on him. It's gonna be great. But Cody just seeming so genuine, but then having that that mean side, that mean streak, and he didn't and he's when he said, I'm not a good guy anymore. It's not that I'm a heel.
Speaker 3: It didn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't.
Speaker 3: I'm a heel.
Speaker 4: And so I'm gonna go to this dark side. I'm gonna get revenge on you, and I'm gonna beat you, and I'm gonna, you know, do all, And it was just great. I just loved everything about that segment. What do you guys think?
Speaker 1: So I I I'm still angry at Randy for his go home promo leading into WrestleMania. He needed he ran in it, and tonight was a continuation of it. So there's some baggage there, But in context, Randy's promos are built around Randy's story and at a fascination that he or the writer of his promos has with Randy's story, and it's disconnected. I would argue more than it should be too often and almost entirely sometimes from the greater good, which is what's the crowd reaction goal, Not selling a new T shirt with a slogan on it, not making the best case you can. That sounds entirely reasonable. So Sean from Tennessee calls up and goes, I liked it. You want Randy to if his he should be a heel here, and because Cody could use a heel opponent, and I know they're like, oh, but Randy's bigger than the he'll face construct there's too many people, you know, Roman bigger than the he'll face construct whatever. No, Randy should not make a good case for you gave me permission, Cody, so I did it. It's your fault. You told me to do it, and that version didn't work, so and this version will. And I'm being selfish and of course deb to be just in their narrative, and people go, well, the fans don't care about right and wrong, or they don't care about integrity to finishes, so it therefore that proves that it doesn't that you shouldn't try, and it would. It's a it's a failed philosophy that isn't current with the time. So I'm like, no, it's a product of the narrative that fans don't care because it feel foolish to care, and the people who did care stop watching, and the people are still watching watch for a different reason than being invested in a certain outcome because somebody does it the right way. If w to B invests in that narrative structure, again, the fans will buy into that, and he might end up with more fans too. So Randy is just is making a case for what goes on in his head. To do it, but it's to what ends is he doing it. It's not to get booed, it's not to get Cody cheered. It's to just it's like he said on the he's on the stand as a defense. He's defending himself on the stand at trial. Here's why I did it. And the fans are you know? I mean, Cody should have known better, Randy should know. Randy's just being Randy. And we love Randy because he's a star in the r KO and the music, and so I want Randy's goal and I wanted to be going into WrestleMania get Cody cheered, and it's not. It's just Randy making the best case he can for himself. So that's the downside of what he did tonight. And it was a continuation of something that was more greed just going into WrestleMania. But because this is the next time we've heard from him, I'm saying it's a continuation of that. And I don't want him to make the best case for Randy. I want him to make a case where we go screw that. He's telling himself a story and and and and that story he's telling himself is just excuse making for his own shortcomings, or he's trying to rationalize being insane and unreliable and a bad friend and taking advantage of Cody is a good person. And but I thought Cody was strong, and I like I you know, Adam in the in the chat, Uh says, Uh, well sether vision. Three verstays Cody was good to his promo's good tonight. He's great out of making the best out of bad situations. He has a lot of practice. By the way, on that Crafton says Cody had a good night. Overall, Powder of Pete said face Cody and r k o heel is good as long as the fans play along. And here's a comment I'm looking for. Adam kidd Sean says Cody is faker than some of Tiffany's anatomy.
Speaker 4: That's just I'm sorry. I mean, you can have be fun with it, but I mean that's ridiculous. I mean, you have fun with it and say that that's Adam's opinion.
Speaker 1: That's fine, You're allowed to have your opinion. I just that's a little ridiculous. I mean, I just Cody does not seem fake to me. I mean, again, you could say he's not whatever.
Speaker 4: But to say he's fake is yeah, I think it's a little too far, but that's again, that's just my view on it.
Speaker 1: And I agree. Let me sneak this in just Jac Scooby says, probably the best promo Cody had on a long, long, long while Chris Rucker says Cody is fake. Jac Scooby says, I think Cody's character needs to evolve. I get that this is an issue, right, What's that it.
Speaker 2: Might be tonight because the night there was more fire and he even gave the line than I'm sick of being the I'm sick of being the white night. I'm gonna if you want to go dirty, I'm gonna take it there too. My favorite part of tonight's angle, which I think they might have found the special sauce that will keep Randy a heel, is I think it's really hard in twenty twenty six for a lot of the things that historically made someone a heel being attacking someone from behind, hitting them when they're not looking, an over aggressive beat down, an excessive violence, sarcasm, cutting comments, all of these things that used to make someone a heel. Now, if you're good enough at him, they get you cheered. But one thing that I think is timeless and pro wrestling is no one wants to cheer a coward, and so I think the special sauce to ensure that Cody remains a babyface and Randy remains a heel is what they did tonight. Cody is trying to fight him. Randy is the coward who is running absolutely and I love that part of it is Randy's not standing up to him. Randy bows out of the so he's this guy who talks up this huge fight and then he bells and then gets all aggressive on the mic. And then the other magic point is Randy was cutting a great promo that, like Wade says, was so good, it was kind of a babyface promo because it got the crowd fired up. It creates this atmosphere of intensity, and then Cody matched and exceeded that atmosphere of intensity, which made him win the segment. So if this segment for a babyface hill segment, the babyface should be designed to get the best of the heel in most of the segments, unless the heel undercuts her cheats to get the best of the babyface. Randy Bell's like a coward. I think what they should do for the next three weeks, Cody's trying to fight Randy, and Randy avoids it at all costs because not only does it make it a coward, but fans want to see them fight. So if it's Randy who's avoiding the fight, he's taking away what the fans want to see. That is a heel characteristic that's going to get you boot in the arena.
Speaker 1: And I absolutely love that. I mean, Randy teasing coming in the ring and back in the way, teasing, coming in, backing away did make him the heel and I want his and let's give him credit for that. And that is something that in the end, you know, all's well, that ends well in a way. But I'll and I know it seems sort of hack or whatever, but it's not like they don't do it enough with playing to the crowd by name in the city. I want Randy to say, part of me not being, part of being the worst version of myself is looking at you. You fans were channing r KO and telling you some version of screw off, like I don't need you when you guys are chanting for me, and I start eating it up. It gets me off my game, and my game is, through any means necessary, take out somebody like Cody and then say something about Cody that people like that Randy doesn't. And now he's psychological. Fans are going, well, God, I thought I liked Randy, but now he's saying he doesn't want our cheers, and he's saying something about Cody that I that I like, or that is a good trade in people that he's now demeaning. Whatever, there's there's a way to add a little bit more to the context, to the content into his promo. So he's not cool Randy. And one of the problems that would he has right now is the communal crowd response, which is we love to chant and cheer and sing and pop for entrances and songs and catch phrases and all that, but then they'll turn and they'll they'll they'll then do the boo you or or whatever, and I just like, let's try to create a consistent emotion with your audience so that they're they takes. I want fans take their own feelings seriously and not be jerked around having to kind of check themselves and change back and forth. One other thing about this. People saying, oh, Cody said he doesn't have to be the good good guy anymore. Well, Cody said, is I don't have to. Derek Mitchell said, biggest thing Cody said that I was I don't need to be a good guy. You mentioned that earlier. What Cody really said is I don't have to abide by the standards of being champion. And when people say Cody, Yeah, when people say Cody's phony, I don't know what they're referring to. I think what you're saying is I don't like a than to Cody. That doesn't mean he's phony. You cannot like him. Chris Rucker in the check goes he's tries too hard with the suits and he tries to fit big words in every promo. He's such a try hard Yes, the suits are kind of weird and the you know, and then he would look upwards, you know, words that didn't flow naturally, and he'd misuse them, and it's made it something It came across as in insecurity like, oh, I need it sound smarter than I am. So I'm gonna use words that I don't naturally flow, but I'm gonna look it up to sound smarter thing. He hasn't done that like a year and a half, so that's not a thing he does anymore. The thing is is what you see in Cody's promo tonight is Cody who believes in himself and knows what his character is and is admitting in this promo. Yes, when I'm champion, I feel a pressure to represent the company. It is what I when I was hanging man page when he first one aw world title at right afterwards at the media Q and A are you gonna show up one day?
Speaker 3: At time?
Speaker 1: Am im feeling different? He's like, I haven't really thought of that. Cody thought about that every night of his freaking life. He's woken up going, Man, if I'm champion someday, how am I going to enter the locker room and lead and b QB one and and try to represent the sport that my dad raised me? And how how am I going to represent myself as champion? Because I when I walk in public, I'm going to represent this brand in this business. That's all Cody thought about when I asked Hangman. It's like the thought had never crossed his mind that that's even a thing. He didn't know wrestling history enough to know that's a thing in WWE, and aw is new then aim as a great guy. But I'm just saying in that case, it was like, so when you say Cody is a tryhard that is authentic. Yeah, Like he buys it and he does so in a way that it's a lot, but it's kind of admirable if you love pro wrestling. Guess what, Cody loves it more than anybody.
Speaker 4: And he.
Speaker 1: Wants to represent it in what he believes is the best way to represent it, which is a decade's long representation of what the lea the QB won the World Champion Babyface should be. And it revealed itself tonight when he says I don't feel that burden anymore. And it worked perfectly for the story with Randy, but it's also saying if you didn't like me when I'm champion, or there's certain things about it, I had to kind of hold back. It's like a teacher who loses their job and they can say what they want to say to the parent of the kid who annoyed the hell out of them for three years. You know what I mean, Like, I'm not a teacher. I'm not on the school. I'm not on payroll anymore. I'm not employed by the school district. So guess what, dad of Johnny, You suck as a dad and you don't appreciate the work that teachers go through, Like that's kind of what Cody went through tonight. That's genuine. I do think he thinks I now can act differently to Randy in character on TV because I don't have to represent myself in a way that I had to whenever I'm champion.
Speaker 2: So and I think some people might misinterpret fakeness for being kind of a goodie two shoes and maybe I mean Cody that's Cody Roach's character. I mean, he is the goody two shoes. But to me, is that fake. It's no more fake than what Trick Williams does. He's not wearing like a feather a white feathered massive coats with a tail that was fifty feet long at WrestleMania. That's trying hard.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yep, yep. Sanitation says Cody is epitome of fake it until you make it. Yes, No, Chris Rocker says, if Cody is anybody else would be calling him a mark for himself. I mean, I think that's worth pondering and commenting on it. I don't think I think there's something different with Cody because it's this is what I say to Chris and then sewn I prompts story you. I think what Cody is doing is he's not a mark for himself. He feels anti I don't want to relabel as antiquated because I don't think it is, but by it sort of has become. Unfortunately, this antiquated notion that even though the booker decides your world champion, that is you are given that on of holding that title and being the top guy because you've earned it. There's merit and with it comes responsibility and also being a lead babyface who kids look up to him. Mean, he didn't want to turn heel in aw because I put the kids and the charity and all that. I believe that's way more sincere in this than a lot of this won't ames but a lot of babyfaces. So I think did a lot of stuff for you know, they chose the quickest, easiest way to get the good pr to build their brand, to sell merchandise. And I think Cody off camera is the real deal a lot more than most people are.
Speaker 2: And I think he inherited a traditional mindset of what it means to be a wrestling champion that he's internalized to be incredibly important to him and the company he represents, and that is what his character is.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: Longing for some nostalgia or maybe you want to learn some wrestling history, don't miss the Nineties Past cast every Friday on the PW Torch Daily Cast Feed. Alex and Patrick will transport you thirty years into the past by taking you through the Torch issue from that very weak follow news from the WWF and WCW, and all the happenings from across the wrestling industry in real time as The Torch reported it thirty years ago. That's the Nineties Pass cast every Friday on the PW Torch Daily Cast Feed.
Speaker 1: Adam kidsys and he was actually good tonight. I don't know who's talking about, but Sean, will you take that? Well, I'm hoping, but I'm just throwing back to Sean.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean Adam, No, Adam and I are friends. I just I disagree with him on that topic, but I mean it's fine, You're I mean, I think Cody always his field I mean, I see the reasons why some people would say that, but I just feel when I watch him, he does not come off like that. To me. He comes off as like a baby face that I want to get behind.
Speaker 1: And tonight the other thing said he was talking about by the way Adam Kitson, it was.
Speaker 4: Somebody brought up too, and it was perf And it was so true when Ko came out when he was in the aisle and Cody, you know, they looked at each other because they'd had the feud before he left, and he just handed him the mic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Gone, I mean that's a genuine thing to do, man. I mean, he didn't have to do that, but he was like, you know in Canaan, like, no, I'm here, you go, You're then Num One contender, Man, go do your thing. You know, I hate it, but it kind of is what it is. But I said, I like that segment a lot. And then I wanted to bring up we were talking to the you brought up Derek when Wade was having the issues about Charlotte and Jade. I mean, I've said this many times. I don't want to harp on it. I just everybody's gonna give Jade crap and it pisses me off. Charlotte is not good in the ring right now. I'm sorry, Like you cannot sit there and sit there and say Jade is bad. This match was bad because my friend, you know, who's been in the chat before, said, oh, Jade sucked tonight. I'm like, no, Charlotte sucked too tonight. She did stupid moves that she doesn't need to be doing. The natural selection sucks and she did it from the top rope. It looks terrible. It's gonna look terrible. Why are we doing that move? Like, do moves that makes sense in the midst of a match that I want to actually get behind. I want to get into it. I told you Wade, I like Jade. She's improved. To me, I think she's gotten better. Is she slow, Yes, she's very slow, but she's improved. She's gotten better. Charlotte, if it's not a main event match on WrestleMania, she stinks in the ring. I don't like any of her matches. When I'm just watching her in the ring, the kicks look bad. They show so much light. Could be both people, but it's I feel like Charlotte is a lot to blame for it. And you know, again here's my other thing too. So the finish happened, which again I'm still it still pisses me off because I just don't think they need all the interference when Jade doesn't need them to fight for her in any way, but that they're going to. They're her baddies I gotta fight for They obviously did it because they wanted to get Tadum Pasley and Alexa Bliss back. Okay, yes, reason, but I still don't like it. Don't do these kind of finishes. It takes you out of these matches and it's annoying. So that's a lot to harp on. But I just that was at that end to the show for me. But it's not just Jade people, it's Charlotte. She has a lot to do that I want to get on her for it.
Speaker 1: A couple of check comments, I'll throw it out. Derek for his assessment of this, Mark Basquetti says, Charlotte wrestles like she's afraid of getting injured. Maybe for good reason, especially against Jade, but really against other people who are different than Jade. We're there's a risk too. Adam Kidd goes I think Charlotte has lost her fastball. Derek, what are you seeing in Charlotte's in ring work? Yeah? What jumps out to you?
Speaker 2: She's not sure footed. That that would be the first thing I said, the first thing that comes to mind. And it seems to be a confidence issue too with depending on who she's in there with. But there was stutter steps on all the spots that didn't look right. There was the one and in that walk over, that handstand, walk over clothesline thing she does. Someone needs to tell her that that's just not a move that works in the way that you're doing it. You don't have to strip it from your arsenal. If you did it from the corner and gave somebody more space, you could probably hit it. But the way it is now, it's a bad timing move that it forces you to stutter step and forces the other person to stutter step, which loses the aura of athleticism that you used to present that you're no longer presenting. But even when she climbs up to the top rope, she just doesn't feel confident with her feet under her and about being afraid to be hurt. I see that too, where when she's doing the strike offs, she's asking the person to bring it, but then she's dipping her shoulder in front of her face so they can't make contact with her because she doesn't trust them. And that all makes the cadence of your strikeofs look bad as you're not opening yourself up to give somebody to hit. It's like, Sean, if you are going to forearm me through the screen right now, if I do this, you can't hit me. I need to give you this so you have something to hit. Otherwise you have a choice. You can either hit my shoulder that looks like crap, or you can hit me in the head and then it's gonna hurt me.
Speaker 1: Or as a former karate guy who sparred a lot, I'd score a point by using my left leg to run kick you in the chin because you're bending over and making yourself vulnerable for that.
Speaker 2: But it's that kind of stuff where a lot of and I'm not just gonna say it's Charlotte or Jade, I'm going to make a general statement a lot of the female wrestling has been really bad for the last two months, where there is definitely a major disconnect between what's going on in NXT where they're performing rehearsed matches and then they transfer over to the main roster, and I really think they need to sit down with their agents and they need to stop making things so damn complicated, because that match with Roxane Perez and Sol Ruka, which wasn't terrible, but I was watching spots and they were having like between two and three counters and reversals before anybody takes a bump. And if you screw up any of those counters and reversals before somebody takes the move, move loses all of its effect. Why are you doing things so complicated? Jade's best matches were against Rhea Ripley, where there was two or three complicated spots and a lot of it was just impact. They almost won the crowd with the one move that had impact tonight, which was the power bomb off the top rope. They hit the big power bomb off the top rope and fans were like, we're going to give you another chance to win us over, and then they did two or three other complicated things that didn't go well.
Speaker 1: Did you like the set up for that or did it cause it look like a struggle. It was a real struggle, but sometimes a real struggle can make it. The key is is not everything should go so smooth that it looks like a well rehearsed acrobatics exchange. But if it looks like you're struggling to set something up unnaturally in order to achieve something that looks choreographed, and that's a bad thing. And that's the category I thought.
Speaker 3: This was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so the way it was taught to me that I think is important is everything you do in a transition should look like a move that you're going that gets countered, and you have to frame all of it. So she's going for her trist stratus hurricane ran or the stratus whatever it was called, the leg scissors thing. She goes for that move. You should see that she's trying to go for that move. You can see that Jade blocks it, and Jade gives the look that I just blocked it. And then Jade needs to hoist her up, not Charlotte do a do a sit up. Because Jade hooks her up like she's going to power bomber. Charlotte acts like she's gonna do a hurricane rada, and then she power bombs her. That's what we should have should have seen instead of this thing where it was, I'm gonna throw you my legs. I'm gonna grab him. You're slowly gonna do a sit up onto me. I'm gonna make sure that I got you stand up slowly and power bomb you. So you need to frame all of those counters for them to actually come across to the audience as counters.
Speaker 1: What stood out to me as Charlotte went for the leg scissors and the look on Jade's face is like, oh my god, her legs might not grip my head properly. Let me pull her leg up so that it can get a proper position, so that I can look like she's doing the move, so that when I counter it, it'll have a flow to it. And all of that like to me conveyed in her face like a panic that her leg's not where it needs me. So let me lift her leg up and put it in position to set up a move that now I'm going to counter. And I don't you know, I don't know where it was.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, And there's if that was your move, there's there's such an easier way to get up for it. Have Charlotte go up for a upro perk and run to jump on her shoulders, catcher and power bomber. You don't need all those other things.
Speaker 1: Yep, I simplify as it's a really good I would a lot of wrestlers, which is just be simplify some check comments here on this Sean that will throw to you. Oh my god, I finally grew Sean. Charlotte is really not good in the ranks, says Chris Rucker. Uhell good good Fellow says, I really like this Jade Flair match. Damn, I didn't always in the minority point. Do you feel like a fool good Fella after all that?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And uh for good Fellow. In Goodfella's defense, there was parts there was There was probably two or three parts on the match where I started feeling like, Okay, they found their stride. Yeah, they found their stride. And I filled out a lot with matches where it might be shaky in different places. But as long as they find their stride, especially after the commercial break, if you if you hit the landing, I'll call it a good match, especially if it told the right story and it accomplished its goal. They didn't stick the landing which made the story fall flat.
Speaker 1: Yep. Jacon Scooby said, Charlotte wrestles like she lost her confidence. Yeah, another variation on what we've been saying. Mister Rock City eighty six says, everything Charlotte does from the top rope looks terrible. Proved me wrong. Lol. Adam kids say Charlotte has to carry her in that match as a veteran, and she failed. Father of pizzays Jade is improving, but at what rate? That's fair? Rude Dog says, I feel like Charlotte's body type isn't doing her any favors. She just seems kind of skinny and fragile.
Speaker 4: She does look skinnier, I mean just you know, not you know, in a in a good way in normal life, but in wrestling. I don't know if that's good for her her body type. Yeah, that's that's fair.
Speaker 2: And it sounds mean. But I'll even say this. I'll even say this, when I wrestled, when I would drop below ten percent body fat, that is always when I tore my bicep. Muscle wrestling, it's your your body needs fat on it to be more hearty. And I do think some of these females like it might even be Ria Ripley's why she got a recent injury. You don't have as much patty, you don't have as much padding on you, more susceptible to injury.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why we're like people complimenting Finn Balor being in the best shape of his life right now. Derek, I think he looks like he needs some body fat. That looks at like an unhealthy a cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In his defense though, because he's got smaller muscle bodies, I'm not I'm not afraid of him ripping them off, like as soon as like Triple H got really jacked. It's just a matter of time, and it's natural.
Speaker 1: Batista all these injuries, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, like nobody ever should tear their lad off their body. Batista tore both of his lats because he had huge lads and no body fat to keep them in blaze. So I think Balor's actually in a better place because he doesn't have massive muscle bodies, which puts a massive strain on your tendons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I even saying it's a higher risk aside. I think Finn Balor looks dehydrated, emaciated, but muscular underneath, but like I kind of want like some body fat like it. It feels like it's unnaturally transparent just to the muscles. Like I don't know, I don't think this is the best look for him, but I mean it's it's it's subjective, but it's like I a little body fat on Finn balor is Is. I think looks more athletic and less I cut for a bodybuilding competition.
Speaker 2: To each to each their own, but I know I don't even diet down that severe anymore ever, because I don't feel like my mental acuity, my my my dura ability. I know his compromise when I get too lean.
Speaker 1: Yeah yep, Celevision three. So Charlotte's like the Eli Manning of wrestling, great in big matches and has a huge name recognition, but week to week normal matches are mediocre, too bad yep. Good Fellow says suplexes herd punches high MPEx spot from Jade. I liked it tonight, so that's a good fella liked about it, mister rock City. He says, Charlotte can't bring a below average wrestler up to a good match. He's not a good leader in that sense. She needs someone on her level or better to have a standout match. I think that's true.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's fair too. I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: Yep. Jacon Scooby says Charlotte didn't even lock her figure four leg lock on. Yeah, it's like Miz not knowing that. I'd never forgive him for that. But like I could do a figure for a leglock on my friends when I was thirteen. It's not hard like I mean, it's just.
Speaker 2: Practice. You got to say, though. We were practicing a lot to the very young age on how to apply those sorts.
Speaker 1: But if it's my finisher, I like I would practically, I would, I would find people to practice that. Chris Ruckers twenty three forty two says that figure four is awful. How do you not know how to do your own finisher? Well, yeah, true, I know, Pather be Goles, I'm en tired to show it for a while now. Then Derek Mitchell a super chat. Thank you Derek, Thank you Sean As I feel there's a segment of people, no matter what Jade does, think she can't do anything right. And I think Jade has gotten better.
Speaker 2: I think I don't think the agents do her any favors, to be honest, like they make her matches more complicated, and it doesn't have to be. Like brock Lesner is a great example. And because I was, I'm writing an article for my next column. Wait, we'll be on brock Lesner. And the thing I admire about brock Lesner is the simplicity of his matches. He never messes up a spot because he doesn't do spots. Why does Jade need to do complicated spots. She looks like she carries a punch and packs impact. Let her carry a punch and pack impact. That's when she's effective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean Jamee's best match, which is weird to say. It hurts me to say in a weird way, it was against Naomi. Her best matches were against Naomi.
Speaker 2: In my I liked her matches against Rhea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, in Ria too, you said, Ria, that's why it's brought a different one. But but and Ria has lost a lot of weight. You're right, I mean, that's a good point she has.
Speaker 3: She looked.
Speaker 4: I was looking her and Io were together. I was like, oh my gosh, she really does look like she's and it's you know, it's okay. And like I, you know, to want to lose weight, but in wrestling it does hurt a little bit in the way you're trying to come across as a bad ass. Like, it does hurt a little bit, But.
Speaker 2: I think it makes you more Like they said, I think it makes you more fragile, and you don't find out. It's like being injury poem prone. Never nobody knows their injury prone until they start getting injured.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a great way to put it. It is a it is a lesson learned the hard way. Yeah yeah. I like did some like seven straight days of trail running this summer earlier summer, and I hadn't jogged for like ever, like a long time. I've been biking and in pickleball, like the when I first sart playing pickball for years ago, I had all I couldn't get out of the car after a drove home, like I I like people, if neighbor saw me getting out of the car to playing pickleball for like two hours, I'd think was he in a car rerecord? Like I mean, it was not pretty, and I'd go ice my my feet and my knee, especially my feet. So I trail ran like seven or eight days of my dog did two miles to rail runs. I paused like I was watching my heart rate and overdo it, so it's gonna like collapse in the heat. But I could not walk upstairs for like three weeks, like it's couldn't I should have taken two days off in between, because I was I got into it too quickly, and but I probably I probably could have gotten away with it into my twenties when I was in karate in my twenties, I always had ailments then too. It's just natural if you overextend yourself and so but I was like, okay, testament to this. You don't know how entry prone you are until you do something that feels good doing it, and then a week you know it was about four day delay and suddenly my niece have never hurt like that, And I was like, okay, I gotta be smarter about this.
Speaker 2: In the show A wrestling perspective, when I was indie wrestling, there was three different occasions where I took a few months off. Once to finish up my degree. I didn't wrestle for about eighteen months. And the thing that surprised me when I got back in there and started training is over time, I had hit the rope so many times where I had this callous on my lap and to the point where running the ropes didn't feel like anything. My first day back running the ropes, doing just basic running the ropes drills, I have these terrible bruises right above my armpit. Yeah, and I peed blood for like two days. And that was because that callous was gone. And running the ropes, which doesn't hurt when you're doing it all the time, but boy, do you find out what that does to you when you don't do it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of ore comments on the shot, and I'll throw to you for anything you want to say. In response to our convo here, jac Scooby says, Charlotte Jade feud needs to end like yesterday. Uh, mister rock City says, the walk over, handstand, clothes line, the moons off from the top to the outside, natural selection, They're all moves. Charlotte needs to drop. Do they not watch their matches back or do they just think look at the acrobaticness of it as opposed to the believability of it.
Speaker 2: So I mentioned this way when I was talking to Greg Parks on Saturday for SummerSlam. But I finally watched WWE unreal, I hadn't watched any of the seasons, but I finally watched it. Yeah, and because I met my parents' house with nothing to do while they're in Scotland, and uh so I really enjoyed the show. But the one thing that if there was anything that bugged me, it's not the comments that get taken out of context and put online to piss people off. That stuff is silly to me, But it was how congratulatory they are to each other every time they come back from the back. And I know it's a show, so they might not be showing those hard conversations. But a lot of the matches that to me didn't go well, where if I was a compet in that match and I came back, I would be pissed off and I would not want my boss to say tell me that was great, because I know it wasn't. Like A good example was like Randy Orton and Cody Roase, They're like, yeah, it was great, it was this and that I'm like, no, youre WrestleMania match was bad and someone needs to tell you that it was bad. Like the fans didn't resonate with your story. It was slow, it was plotting, it didn't resonate with people, and you got a bad crowd response. But the fact of how congratulatory they are to everybody, and especially with younger competitors. I mean, you don't have to tell someone they suck and everything they did suck and tear them down and they should never rustle again for their life. But constructive criticism from the right voice needs to be happening all the time if you expect people to improve. And I hope we are only seeing a glimpse of unreal that's not showing those conversations. But I worry those hard conversations with people like Charlotte, who to them is a veteran, are not happening. Happening because they know that she's emotionally fragile. No, if you're gonna put it on TV and it looks bad, someone needs to tell you it looks bad. And a lot of her offense it looks bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was thinking when when she they did her arrival shot and there two three guys in the back just started bowing to her, and I was like, you know, you just you're around long enough, yeah, Ron, long enough, you have like these big matches, and then people just start like sort of worshiping like what your character is supposed to be, and you can kind of lose sight of there's things you still need to improve upon her. There are things that you were barely passibly before and now they're not and no one's telling you the truth anymore. And plus once you put a camera on something like this back after the match, backstage, congratulations, it's not real anymore. Like that's what people said about MTV the first like live in you know camera of twenty four r will edit into a reality show type thing, is you know, yes? What was their catchphrase? You know, things start to get real after a while whatever. I can't remember the catchrase. But when a camera is there, it's never real. Like people are always in the back of their mind, no matter how much it becomes invisible and kind of just wallpaper on the wall. You know, you're representing something that could be edited and put out there that will define you in the public. Guy, you're gonna change as yelling my dog earlier like and I'm like, I'm like, oh my god, I hope the neighbor can't hear yell because they're gonna thak, I'm crazy, you know, but you know you get friend. So but if I had a camera on me for reality show, I'd walked up to him and I would have had a com talk with him instead of telling him like stop it. So, you know, like cameras changed who we are, and so when a camera is present, they're like Paula X's oh there's camera. Though I'm going to be the uncle who says good match to everybody because I'm a good, positive guy. But if the camera wasn't there and there weren't other people be like, oh, let's let's go talk, you know, or if it's ally night, you just do it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well and two like like I'm a I'm a high school teacher. Is my job, and so constructive criticism is what I have to give students, and a lot of times I think of it as in their writing, where that's where I see the biggest range from kids where some are really good and so are really struggling. But my students who are really struggling, I always want to say something good before I give them the constructive criticism because it starts the conversation off where oh, well, he thought this was a good idea, but now I need to fix these things. And there's probably a lot of I mean, we look at all these people as adults, but adults, adults take criticism worse than kids a lot of times, you know. But I hope they have trust in their agents and producers where I hope right now they're talking to Charlotte and Jade and saying, this is what you should have done. This was wrong, this was not done. Well, why did you do this? We shouldn't have decided to do that, because that's how you get better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before pushing play on the way Keller Pro Wrestling post shows, check out pw torch dot com and our TV review section and skim through a full rundown of the TV show if you didn't see it, that's your way to get an overview of what happened before you dive into our in depth analysis of the key happening on the show. That's pw torch dot com. You're home for live TV coverage every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with my TV Reports, and also check out our NXT and Impact coverage on Tuesdays and Thursdays our Collision Reports on Saturday nights and of course our live pay per view and PLEE coverage on weekends, all waiting for you at PW Torch dot com. H Sadler's goes. I've been saying for months women's division on the main roster has been awful in the ring. And Derek, I hope what you just said is true. I hope I like it. I mean, just out of fairness of soul, Ruka cent her away until she gets better, Like everything's wrong about what she's doing in the ring, and it's it's not it's not transferring. Well, mister rock City says, I believe the setup looks so choreograph because Charlotte never actually does that move that's part of it. In the corner spot setting up the part part on the corner. Yes, uh, Jade appeared to hold her wig. I don't know did did did that happen? Derell says. In Charlotte came back from her knee injury and have been wearing that knee break. She has been unsure and especially with her changing her body to be smaller and slimmer, and I will say, I mean, if we stipulate to the fact that it can make your matches suck if she literally is going, I don't want to go through another your rehab, yeah, you know, And so I'm gonna people bow when I walk in the building. I'm a legend, I'm a flair. I got my signature moves. Nobody hears all that good anymore, you know, Like I mean not some people are better than good, but there's a lot of people aren't good here getting TV time. I just I don't want to go through I mean, Robert Smith on this little Vikings running back when the Bikers are having their great fifteen one season back in the late nineties, he had like multipleknee injuries. We can get tackled out of bounds and his knee, but pop, finally he could have gotten another He could have gone through your rehab after his last kne injury and played three more years and made a lot more money. He's like, I'm done, Like, I don't want to risk any injury. I want to be able to walk when I'm in my fifties and sixties, and it's I have enough money to be happy enough. I don't want to risk another knee injury there. But that's football. But Charlotte doesn't have to make that choice.
Speaker 3: She can go.
Speaker 1: I just won't do those moves that put me at risk. I will be more careful than what I do now. You can still get injured. But I think that might We don't know, but that might be the mindset, Derek.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think you just touched it. Wade. Is instead of doing the old moves that you used to do and not doing them as well, or doing them in a way that looks cautious and safe and hence not part of competition, have the courage to try something new and do do the things you can do better.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yeah, absolutely. I mean there are things Chris Jericho can't do, but he can do a Judas effect because it's just spinning around with your elbow in the air, you know, Like I mean you you introduce Ricky Steamboa used to cross body and then he said, no, I'm going to do a chop to the I'm gonna jump on top rope and to a chop to the head.
Speaker 2: And for Charlotte, I just be like, stop jumping off the top rope, start throwing better sup plexes. Yep, and I'll give you and work on your work on your chops. To where instead of you know, like chest taps the look, they look like they have impact and that can absolutely.
Speaker 1: Or don't do the move your dad did if because in the crowd goes, we just get them engaged in a different way. Adam Kid says, ask any bodybuilder single digit body fat is unhealthy for any reasons. This goes back to a Fin Ballar conversation. Good Fella says, Fin Baller looks healthy to me.
Speaker 2: Looks amazing. I don't know if it's healthy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, that's what pother repeat says, Finn looks amazing. Chris Rucker goes, My girlfriend thinks Finn Baller looks just fine whatever that means. But Staturady Debation says Fin looks unnatural to me. And by the way, if you if Chris Rucker didn't know, Crafton says, it means she likes him. Adam, Uh, you need fat for your for your brain as well as hormone balance.
Speaker 2: So uh and wait, if it makes you feel better about Finn Balor's physic I just listened to a podcast with him and why he probably looks more ripped now surprisingly is he just reintroduced carbs into his diet. So he was like a keto guy who wasn't eating any carbs for so long. And if you're if you've conditioned your body like that and then you start introducing carbohydrates, then often your muscles actually pop a little more. And it looks like like his probably more because he's eating carbohydrates.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, body, I heed his weird things with when you go one direction and and change up, Yeah, you can have almost a counterintuitive effect at first at least. Yeah, So Sean, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I've been Chris brought up something else that I I disagree in the sense of he brought up I would I wanted. I wish they would have had the Charlotte Jade matches SummerSlam. Not me, Chris, Sorry, buddy, imagine that match being a Summer Slam. Oh God, bless America. That would have been bad. And I know, I mean, I'd rather have it on this show than have it on a Summer Slam. I mean, yes, it's a SummerSlam tight match of two stars. I get what he's saying. But after watching the match tonight, no, I'm so glad it was not on Summer Slam. I'm thankful that it wasn't. But Alexa. Another thing I didn't like is Alexa bringing out the stupid Lily doll. Oh my god, I thought we were past that too. I really thought that was over. And I know Tatum came back and that's part of what, but I was just like, man, I don't need that Lily. I know it's merged. I know they make a lot of money. I get it, but I don't need Alexa with the Lily. Though I like Alexa, I don't like Lily. Geeesh.
Speaker 1: Stop. But the last thing I was going to bring up before I transition, here's a comment worth talking about. Chris Rucker goes, I do feel annoyed they wasted the first Charlotte Jade one on one match on a random SmackDown. If you're building it for nearly a damn y're are we missing the big story here? We're talking about a move or whatever, Like why is this on a random SmackDown?
Speaker 2: So I'll introduce an idea why it might have been?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is you you.
Speaker 2: Show a match that gives people like a taste of what it could look like with an inconclusive finish, where you feel that people will get excited enough about it the next time it comes around, they want to see it again. Unfortunately, because the output was not what they had hoped. This doesn't make anybody want to see the match on a bigger steak again.
Speaker 1: And I am I'm putting this on a pedestal. It doesn't belong on, but it is. I think it's still appropriate for the sake of the analogy. They did not put hll COGD against Ultiate or against each other on TV so ever, this time with an inconclusive finish to get tease people for their Wrestlemanium match. Like, I think that's what Chris Rocker's getting at that this isn't just another match. This is a match that if WWE like said, this is special, think about Charlotte's stature, think about Jade's or the egos the like I mean, just like sel the first time the bell rings in these tour opposite is seen a rock like make it that and it's it should have been summertimes. They were willing to do this match six days later. There shouldn't have been a ladder match that that's just been a showcase match at Summer Simon. Instead, if if the ideas, we need to get to it quickly and then do a conclusive finish. I that's that's what sucks, is they got they painted themselves into this corner that they feel like can't do clean finishes because that's the end of it. It's like it doesn't have to be. You know, best of seven series in the NBA do not end after one game. Nobody goes, oh, it's over after it's one zero or even two zero, like it's okay, Like no, it's a seven game series for a reason. Jay can beat Charlotte clean, and that becomes a sports story. What happened? How did it happen? Can it be repeated? Was it a fluke? Did Charlotte have a mindset here? Like there are sports stories to tell, but you have to do clean finishes, not run ends constantly in distraction finishes, tell sports stories. And they could have done that here anyway.
Speaker 4: And Charlotte's character, and that's why I wanted to go back to Really Fast is Charlotte's I appreciate what they've done to make her characters seem a little more interesting. I've liked that part of it, like they made the fans have gotten behind her and that no granted that she was a star. They technically did, but they were not getting behind her, and when the Reea stuff happened, they were not. They wanted a boo her and so now they're behind her. They cheer her and that's cool. So I like that, But I want her to be more confident in what she's doing too. If she's gonna be in the ring, be more confident what you're doing, have trust, and that it's gonna all work out.
Speaker 1: Root Doog says, By the way, I think the dollar's just brought back because of Paxley and her doll obsession. I think so too. They need to in truce that and SmackDown Cannon. You know, yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: People, there's time before there's no.
Speaker 1: I'm not being critical. I'm just saying they need to Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, no. True. The last topic I was going to bring up, and I was curious what you guys thought about it was, you know, going to the Tag Team and Fatal Influence again. I love what Fatal Influence is doing. I like them a lot. I liked again Jay C's on the mic was so good tonight. I is a you just want to do the heck out of her. It's awesome. I love it. And then the match was what it was. Of course, I'm not gonna you know. It was not the greatest, but it was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was passable, but it was just that's what it was. I I think Chelsea. I love that she got her moment at at SummerSlam. I thought it was a cool moment. I was totally good with it. I thought it was the right move. But I don't need Chelsea to have a long rain. That's not what she's there for. I think she's there to have Tiffany them Tiffany's I think it's gonna lose to jac Jan Jacon needs to win the US title. I think that's a good start for her to start on the main roster, get a one A mid car title and build that up, and then I think Tiffany again should turn on Chelsea. I think Tiffany should turn She needs to be a heeled badly, badly, and I think it's gonna help people get behind Chelsea in that way. She might she'll lose the title, I think the Tiffany, but I think it's okay because Tiffany I could have her with a title as a heel because it fits into her character and then when Ria gets back, that's fine. I don't like title switches like that, but I think that's a good way to do it because I think Chelsea got her moment, but she's not ready to be a long term champion right now. She's not there yet. She can get there maybe down the road. I'm not saying it's not impossible, but Tiffany needs to turn heel and that's how you would get there. But I wanted you to think of what they've done with fatal influence Chelsea, all that, just going into that whole stuff.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Derek.
Speaker 2: So my I thought the match was fine. My only misgiving about the match was in the planning, and that is if I think we all all know that Tiffany's a lot more likely to turn on Chelsea than Chelsea's going to turn on Tiffany, right, And so then I was like, well, why is Chelsea taking the heat and why was the hot tag and all the shine spots given to Tiffany, And also why does Chelsea take the loss? Because I think I know a lot of people support Chelsea being champion. I'm not one of them because I think she's a valuable character on television. I don't like her as a credible champion because just that she lacks credibility. But if you're going to fix that, first of all, her ringwork needs to be better to prove credibility, but also the way that matches are set up can help her build credibility. And giving her the hot tag and have all her nice moves and then tagging into Tiffany and having Tiffany take the fall. First of all, that serves the purpose of Chelsea getting the shine right, and then also it takes it where Tiffany's the one taking a loss who doesn't need to be protected. She's the one who's gonna turn on Chelsea anyways. So the way that was set up was confusing to me counter counterintuitive too. If you know that Chelsea is the one that the fans supports, why not have her build up to the hot tag to her and let her shine because that's what he wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the theory is sad. I think the story is going to be that Chelsea's a week champion, so that there's a huge target on her back, and I don't mind that it's a unique story. So they're they're they're deciding to portray Chelsea as weak as a fluke interim champion, and maybe that turns into something I don't know, you know, I'm I don't I don't know. I don't have a vision for how to see it through. But it doesn't make sense otherwise, you know what I mean? Like that, that seems like that. That is whether it is a good decision that makes sense in a few weeks or not. I think that might be why, because otherwise you're right there, why would you do it? Durelsea's Tiffany needs to be a heal but she used to before from any title because she needs to come back from how bad she's been as a wrestling character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean a hill could fix that though, Yeah, oh absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: And I'm interested, Like I think most people would agree, Tiffany has been a feled babyface. She was floundering, and now it went from she was a floundering babyface to now I would say that she's a failure as a babyface. But the Hill run might be the thing that reinvigorates her. And if you put her against Chelsea, that's like the perfect combination to give her real heat. Is if she turns on Chelsea, she's turning on her friend and then all of those characteristics of her that kind of get people not to like her. They are just going to have a flashlight shined on them and they're going to be highlighted with glitter. I mean, it's going to be hard to ignore, and I think that may be the best thing for it. It might reinvigorate a wrestling ability too, because wrestling is a heel is a lot different as wrestling a baby.
Speaker 4: Wait, can I ask a question too? When they were when Tiffany was kind of giving her not giving her the light at the time of day, did I miss something? Because they did all of a sudden become friends very quickly, Like did I miss like where Tiffany really decided, Hey, I want to be friends with Chelsea, like in storyline, did I miss something along?
Speaker 1: I almost feel like you're you're asking a sarcastic joke question because you didn't miss You didn't miss anything. And you know, when Hobbyer was on, He's like I asked him. I said, I know, you just were catching up. So we watched like six shows in four days. Gosh, did you miss Was there something that I fast forwarded past or forgot about? He's like, nope, I watched.
Speaker 4: They should have told that story better. They should have done a bet.
Speaker 1: They skipped that chapter there. There were so uh the story tonight was Chelsea was very gracious to Tiffany and said, you know, you're a blonde bombshell of a best friend. Tiffany came out in green said for what happened, you know what happened, but our friendship is stronger. You know, just because I won, that doesn't have to be a problem. And she wanted to make a toast to a strong female friendships. And then that's when Tiffany said, I actually wanted to talk to you about something, and then fatal influence interrupted. So Tiffany is likely going to say I'm not at peace with it. I want a chance to beat you for this title. And now does Chelsea go, but I thought our friendship but you know, I don't know, like they have to maneuver that, navigate that in a way where they don't want to fight the headwinds. So Tiffany should be healed. Chelsea the babyface. So what is Tiffany gonna say and how is she going to say it so that fans don't think she has a good case, like Cody has a good case. She's going to remach against Punk and Punk's cool with it. How are they going to make the case that Tiffany's a heel for asking for it? And I don't know how they're gonna do it, but I think they clearly showed that's the direction they're going. And Fatal Influence interrupted before we could get what Tiffany wanted to ask her. Okay, Sean, go ahead, yeap, real quick.
Speaker 4: Now let's say I want to get off. I just want to say I'll get in the chat. I'll probably miss a little bit of time with you guys because I got I'm gonna be going on vacation next week, so I probably missed some shows, but it was just sad. But I'll keep up with them on YouTube. And but I love what you gotta go VI, I P I love It's already been like a few years since you've been on YouTube, which is crazy, by the way. I could not believe that when I went back and watching the videos, like, hold, wow, it's been that long. But yeah, Derek, appreciate you. Always fun being on with you guys, And I'll get back in the chat.
Speaker 1: I wanted Sean's reaction cut out.
Speaker 4: He hung up talking the show, talking the song, talk.
Speaker 1: It is there, it is, I found it? All right, cool, all right, Let's let's bring Durrell in and uh, and we'll after talk to We'll see if there's anything else we want to sneak in.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Shut, but they're shut. I had no idea you were gonna do that, Sean. I tried having you not hang up. It's like, hold on, hold on, and you we're gone. All right. Oh it's a banger, A good fella. Yes, all right, Uh Darrell. Uh, we'll talk to Darrell and then Derek, you and I can see if there's any straight comments I want to make. Then we'll wrap up. Drew, welcome, good to talk here.
Speaker 7: How y'all, how y'all doing tonight? Enjoying the conversation as usual.
Speaker 1: Darrell, do you want a song?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 7: Really okay, okay, thank you though, but now I'm okay, Well.
Speaker 1: I can't say you might not get one. I'm not. I won't have anything to do with it. I'm just saying, now that she said you don't want it, someone's got to suspike Drrell. I'm going to make a song for him. All right, go ahead, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: You get back to what I was just talking about, because this is a big part of what I want to talk about the reason why I said Tiffany should be far away from the title, and I agree she should be a heel, but the digression of her character as a whole head had taken down even her n ring work. Remember when she first came in, Her n ring work kept her while you were like, okay, they can keep her up there, even though at the time she was a heel.
Speaker 3: But her hell.
Speaker 7: Character and her face character seemed unrealistic because she's still talk in that same Barbie type of way, all the same stuff that people gave Charlotte for years.
Speaker 3: She was even worse than Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Why do you have to keep bringing that up?
Speaker 3: Yes, and.
Speaker 7: I think she needs to go away from that main have been seen because she's been there since she got there and be grassed.
Speaker 3: So she can figure out how she wants to present her character.
Speaker 7: Maybe look at how she present herself on Twitch when she's streaming and stuff like that. Something different just come around. As tonight Charlotte and Jaye might had a bad match altogether, but the earlier promo that Charlotte gave to me was the best promo I've ever seen her give on the main roster, and that's because of how genuine she feels now that people want to see her as a babyface chasing a heel or chasing a title or chasing whatever. And the things that she was saying before are now getting nowhere because she feels so genuine because of how she has.
Speaker 3: Been with Alexa Bliss.
Speaker 7: And I give a lot of that to how Alexa Bliss softened her up too. That's why, like they put Tatum Paton with it. When y'all hear me say that, do y'all agree? And I move on to something else, ask something else to this, I'll see all.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you brought up Charlotte's promo because I felt the same thing. And then she did this, which is one of my favorite promo styles too. She builds up Jay, talks about how good she is or that she's special, and then she makes it personal and turns to the camera and then gives her partying line in a very effective manner like thirty second promo. That's what the teaching thirty second promo class. And so I thought that was great. As for Tiffany having to slide down the card if she makes the heel turn. Part of me agrees with you, Darryl, because I don't think she's earned a main event spot. But I think the heat when she turns on Chelsea could be so apparent that the momentum of it would deserve a main event spot.
Speaker 1: I would I I want her second from the top as a heel, but not the champion. I think there's I would. I would have the title be represented by somebody who's not in a grudge feud, who's not doing a kind of performative character heel, who can't back it up in other ways and rise the occasion too. Like whatever Tiffany does when she turns on Chelsea and is a heel, it's gonna make her character better because she's a natural heel. But I don't know that she's somebody that you want to be banking on to have those matches that a champion should have, And I think are just others who are better and I don't I mean, it's just I don't know. I mean, I'm hypocritical sayings, but I don't know if she deserves it like she just I'm waiting for a call from Hollywood. Like I don't give the title too Yeah, like invest in give the prestige of a tuititle run to somebody who's hungry and this is their this is their goal.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have that view if I thought Tiffany would sell tickets like as champion compared to just being a second from the top heel. I think she makes as much money for deb to be in DRASA much as she's a snotty heel who fans take joy in seeing her not become champion, and she takes out her frustrations on others and acts, you know, like she is better than everybody, but she's not.
Speaker 8: Hey everyone, longtime PW Toeorge commist Sean raddickin here to let you know I've rebamped and renewed their Atticant Worldwide podcast for twenty twenty six, a weekly VIP exclusive. Every week, I break down four or five of the biggest trending topics in pro wrestling. I also present my analysis, providing insight that helps you understand the story better or see it another way. Then maybe is the controversial takeout there? Then I bring on a special guest for the second half of the podcast. Sometimes it's a wrestler or someone else who works in the business. Other times it's a guest analyst who brings their specialized point of view out a particular key topic in the news. Recent guests have included Bronson Reid from WWE and PCO. One of my areas of specialty is the Japan wrestling scene, so I often cover a big topic from Japan with PW Torch, his own, Alan Farrell, Kelly Wells, and Chris Lansdell. I don't just cover the news. I don't just riff on the news or give a standard hot take. I'll bring my decades of studying this industry and talking one on one with dozens of wrestling promoters to each week's show, so you understand not just what's happening, but the context of why get ahead of the news, get ahead of the pack with racking worldwide only at PW Torch VIP.
Speaker 2: And I think a positive aspect of Tiffany, I'll say is and this is in defense of her underperforming for the last year and a half. I don't think she's got very good opponents who fit style and who were able to compliment her style. Her best matches were against Becky Lynch and NXT. Becky Lynch was one of those wrestlers who is going to make you better. And if I think if they turn Tiffany Hill, Rhea Ripley is one of those wrestlers who's gonna make you better. And a babyface Rhea Ripley against Tiffany I think is going to be a really strong match. A heel Tiffany against a babyface EO Sky. I think that's a really exciting match. I think right now is wrestling a babyface. She hasn't been put in there with heels who are who can carry her to shining up the way that she needs to be shined up to stand out. So she's been under she's been undercut by a weak division. Is in defense of her, go ahead now.
Speaker 7: I'm glad that y'all brought up heat and I would say one thing today, even though she could probably get back what's in the ring, But what's gonna immediately hurt her is the character and what you have to present yourself in the ring on the mic, just around the scene, because you gotta think we're in WWE, They're not gonna give them many matches, and they're not gonna allow her to showcase the matches that probably could get her over, but she don't have to talk.
Speaker 3: And do that much.
Speaker 7: She's gonna have to carry some of that and that's gonna hurt that and not getting the reaction that you want from the crowd that you could just genuinely get if she was just giving the ring time and show people what she can do in the ring. Now going to the heat that y'all was talking about this transition to the next thing. I think right now, especially on SmackDown, said SmackDown seeming more like the storytelling show.
Speaker 3: They have an.
Speaker 7: Opportunity to make at least four new women. They don't have to be brand new women fresh out of NXT, but just new people. I think one of those spots could potentially be Jade, because you have a Charlotte that's not just on the tail end.
Speaker 3: We can say that she on the tail end.
Speaker 7: You have no Nay on me, you have no Bianca and Ria just got hurt.
Speaker 3: You can bring up.
Speaker 7: Four new people to get that spot. And I think a person who you can use is Chelsea Greens, and she's beloved and people are behind her and give her a month or so run where people been coming at her like she's an undeserving champion.
Speaker 3: She's not serious.
Speaker 7: She we don't believe in her because I think it's a character that can morphus out of that, because to me, she got a little bit of Mike Foldy Captains Jack type of style in her when she feels like she's the Mickfolder character who Mick Folder was the fan of the wrestling and stuff like that, and you can make it transition that in the to a Captains Jack type of feel from ladies perspective that you haven't seen. But you would want that heat to go to somebody new, like a jac Chaine or Blake Monroe or somebody else that you feel like that that you can pull it off of and get them a run with the title. Wow, since they already building the division right now, it's circling between Jay anyway that she carried most of the statements as women.
Speaker 3: But how do y'all feel about that?
Speaker 7: And who would be like three people outside j that y'all will boost up to that? I think Blake Monroe's and She's already have something with those two women, especially if she calls maybe tipping it to lose the title against Jason Jane.
Speaker 3: That'll help Jason Jane move that title, and then you.
Speaker 7: Can build up a few and heat onto somebody like her who could probably use it.
Speaker 2: Derek, I want to be more of a fan of Blake Monroe than I am her NXT run. The best way I could describe it is she fit in rather than standing out. I thought Jay C. Jane is a lot better of a performer than Blake Monroe is, because, aw, the big thing is, they don't focus on the moments between the moves, and so she would just kind of hit moves and then strike one or two poses. When she was purposely asked to slow down and take time in between her spots and her moves. I don't think she stood out nearly as much as I thought she would. Not to say that when she doesn't get to the main roster, when she's under a new director, with new agents and producers, maybe they're able to find that thing in to her that allows her to stand out more. Because you'll notice this when she came in NXT, and I know a lot of people are like, how could you talk bad about Blake Monroe? She came in an NXT and her level was this high every successive match that she had, the heat behind her and the excitement for her lessened every time. Though she was given substantial time on television to stand out, she didn't. Right, So if I was given a choice on new people from the roster, who would deserve a chance? I think J. C. Jane has a lot more attributes that I think would get over on television then pretty much anybody else who's fresh on SmackDown. So that would be my choice.
Speaker 1: You Wade, Yeah. I mean when you look at what's going on in NXT, and we had some check comments on it earlier, I don't have faith that in the NXT environment, whoever's getting a push, whoever is having the matches in that context, in that setting, that it's going to be transferable in a way. I think so Ruka is an extreme example because she's so acrobatic, but the fact that she got called up and others didn't, I think is revealing and symptomatic of a mindset, which is we need women to look a certain way and wrestle a certain way with high spots or flashiness, and I don't have like great faith in a lot of them. But like when you have Julia and Sephanie vakaer like and you know, stuff just came back and Julia, there's people who are more well rounded. And I to me, like, go with the proven wrestlers and try to repackage them a little bit more than bring fresh face is up for the sake of being fresh faces, because I don't know with the sample size of what I've seen in an NXT and then what we're seeing about the people who are called up. I mean, I don't have great like I should be able to rattle off a few names to all that, and I'm like, oh, do that, but I'm going back to the names that I feel have more experience and need to be repackaged. I bring freaking Natalia back to have like before, I would push some of these NXT wrestls who think it's all about acrobatics and awkwardness until you get to your next dazzling spot. There's a just a problem with the training and they're they're not going to bring people in from the outside very often anymore because they have their whole system set up and there's not this robust indie scene and aw has the portal to the international wrestlers who can go and are more athletic and work a different styles. So I mean the chat. You know, good fella, says Jordan Grace, you need to figure out, you know, get Blake Pilar pieces. Yep, get Blake in the ring and get her some wins. I don't know. I don't have a great answer.
Speaker 2: And I don't have a lot of I don't have a lot of faith in Julia. In fact, when I've talked to people about Julia, they all say, well, she was great in Japan, and I was like, tell me a match, give me some evidence, because what I've noticed all about a lot of these people, they haven't actually watched Julia matches. They've watched Julia highlight reels that was not having a match, and then they'll point to one or two matches, and I was like, that's a different context than what you see in WWE. And to their in WWE's defense of not pushing Julia, when she was given more than five minutes on television, the crowd died. And so if you're given seven minutes and the crowd dies, they're not going to give you twelve next time. And that's what they saw. They get made to the US champion. They didn't give a lot of chances, but the few chances she got she did not succeed.
Speaker 1: Kelly well to be co host in I think two weeks on our SmackDown post show, and obviously he's the guy to talk to in really to get into all this stuff we're talking about about NXT style and the call ups. By the way, Sealle version three, I put this on the screen. I think the flippy reputation of NXT women is overstated. The only ones I can think of our recently our Soul and Colonie Jordan.
Speaker 4: M M.
Speaker 3: It's been more.
Speaker 2: I'll say JC rustles a different style and it's to her benefit because it's not the flippy stuff. But what she does has impact. You know, that rolling forearm, she does, the pump kick. Basic stuff done well to me stands out a lot more than flashy stuff that doesn't connect. Yep.
Speaker 1: Derek Mitchell says appears Julian and Jordan Grace both were highly anticipated signings. In the sample size has been they've been underwhelming in the sample size so far.
Speaker 2: Julian only had one good mansion NXT that I thought really stood out, and it was a four way where you're just hitting moves. You hit a movie, and you get out. And I think that was like the wrap on Lash Legend two is when I asked people, like, you know, what was the match that stood out at Lash Legend. They'll talk about the Elimination Chamber last year. She just hit moves, she just hit spots, and then they talk about these other big tag matches or multi man she did in n XT. That's just hitting your best stuff. That's not that doesn't translate as a champion in a seven minute match.
Speaker 7: I would say this though I've watched NXC for a long time. I even watched NXC UK Okay, I agree with you wade those NXC. That's why I said anybody just somebody knew represented new because I felt like when they went to the original two point oh scene and Vince got heavily involved in it, and he sent Bruce down there to do a lot, and I think Sean in case, yeah, Sewn Michael's in. He just started going along with that. He kept that into how he was doing because at the time when they had him originally started booking, he was booking n X t U K and that was a much of the time of Guta's reign into it your dragon off. That's when you had those ilia and in Guntha matches that was high impact and then they had great stories to go.
Speaker 3: Along to him. And he done.
Speaker 7: Since he took it over NXC, he's done totally different and set the people up totally different. I think Last Legend has gotten better since she came to the main roster.
Speaker 3: Julia.
Speaker 7: I don't think she got the opportunity because they didn't what Paul Haynen used to say, I'm ana hide your weaknesses and I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Highlight your what you're good at.
Speaker 7: They highlighted her weaknesses and didn't give off her what she's good at because she has an aura. She had an aura about it. The presentation and stuff like that. They gave Stephanie the core more of that aura and they allowed that to showcase more, especially the move and that people liked and stuff like that, and that what gave her opportunity to win over the crowd.
Speaker 3: J C. Jane I like her.
Speaker 7: I respect her, but like you know, like those big box office movies that sell a lot week one, but then they dropped like seventy percent after week one, so they don't make that's what happened to her and her introduction, because even in NXT, she didn't get.
Speaker 3: Over with the crowd because of sometimes how dry she is.
Speaker 7: That's why I would love to see what they could do, like giving a true opportunity with Jordan Grace or something like that, somebody and putting them up against people. That's why I said, maybe give a Blake Monroe because outside of them, they didn't do well with her NXC. She knows who her character is. She know who she is as a person. So if you know, if you put people up against a person who know who they are as a person, it helps the other person that you're trying to bring along, and you give the crowd opportunity to see who they like. And that's what they have been not been doing for the last year and a half with the men nor women. Giving somebody that's what you were talking about, Randy Orgon. He's telling you a Randy Orton story that he been telling for twenty five years now and not telling you a base care to I'm a heel reindew or and I'm doing this in my job to get old Cody, And that's what's hard with the women right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think an easy solve for it when you talk about the transfer from NXT to the main roster and a lot of these women are faltering. I think one of the issues is, especially when you're working with people from scratch, they are at the mercy of listening to an agent and getting comfortable with an agent to put together their matches. So they have these agents that are really comfortable with an NXT who put all their stuff together, and they're comfortable with the talent, and the talent's comfortable with them, and then they get a transfer to the main roster where they're working with different agents at a different speed, with a different time allocation to what they're doing. And that I think is where it's falling apart.
Speaker 1: What about and I've been thinking about this lately. In it, I don't think so many pop are just going to discount it without in actually being executed with somebody who has a vision for how to do it right. But this was us I think created by an email last week about aw and what about squash matches. Let's get women who really can work, They really can take bumps the ring, They know where to be, They're in the right place at the right time, they get timing and they're the jobbers. Go to the indie scene, bring some people back who you didn't think you could market well, but they can work, and get them in the ring on television and people, well, no one to watch. That's not true. I just don't buy that. People like ring entrances, they like larger live personalities, they like signature moves that work, and by the way, they like seeing people take bumps, and they like short matches. People like short matches. It's an instant gratification. I get to see a ring entrance someone I love, their signature moves get established. The announcers have a few talking points. You don't do the thirty second or one and a half minute one. You actually tell a little bit of a story. You go three or four minutes, no commercial break. So format wise, it's a little bit of a challenge because of the way that they're kind of stuck in their format of double box breaks. But I think getting women who can really work for good hands in the ring and giving these women who you believe are marketable a chance to work with them, even just for that three four minutes, it serves multiple purposes. One, you just have a chance to these women stand out who they are and what they do, because there's so many there's so many sort of semi interchangeable looking women now who get called up and they sort of have a gimmick. It feels sort of performative, and then it doesn't really establish itself before it's thrown right into a story like we saw tonight. So I don't know what, Derek, what do you think about that?
Speaker 2: I like the idea, and I don't think you actually need to get jobbers. I think you have women on your roster who if they're expected to do a match that's three and four minutes and take good bombs, that should be their job.
Speaker 1: Kind of what Julia does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well ib Nile like Ivy Nile on television.
Speaker 3: Well, let me be clear.
Speaker 1: Let me be clear. When I say jobbers, I mean women who who they put a lot of effort into training or they never hired because they say they don't have the right look, and but you don't want them to be I mean part of it is a job or should be semipathetic or not super flashy, but really good at taking bumps. And if you get a handful of them just like you, they get an introduct They don't get a ring introduction. You know they're gonna lose. And once a while you tell the one, two three, good story, whatever, beer hurt, sorry, whatever, but you can. You can use people around the roster. But they just always loose, you know, they just always lose. I mean, but give reps to women, let them establish. But the point is is there's a there's a different structure to a matter. You're trying to be even steepened with somebody who's also getting a push and they're protecting. And the flow of that is you do your spots. Now it's my turn. You do your spots, and it's my turn. You try to fit in the flashy moves, make it more of a one way street. One person's job is to take bumps for you, maybe get a hope spot in if they're if they're a babyface, and then but you get to do your moves, but in a flow with somebody who's a good hand, who has though, who's given up on pushing to the top. But you shouldn't discard them because they have ten And I don't know who those would be right off the top of my head, but.
Speaker 2: What I can name a few that's like that's Candas Larray, that's Ivy Nile, yep, And there's probably more than the even what was Keana James when she's not doing anything. And also like when I was training down in Arizona, they had what they called the jobber match, and there was days in training because a lot of those guys in Arizona, they were the guys who would do the TV matches for WWF Shotgun back in the day. And the jobber match was like this very simple format and if you watch it, it's like completely the same every time. The jobber has one hope spot, which was either like a drop kicker, a job breaker goes up to the top rope and if it's a more than three minutes, you get a crossbody off the top roun they kick out and then they hit the finish and it's over right, And that was for the babyface who's jobbing to a heel. But I think like with Candas Larra or Ivy Nile, you pick like the one or two moves that they get to do, and everything else is one way traffic where they get beaten. It's it's meant to highlight the one person you add that drop kick or that whatever in siguri or whatever, just to give a little bit of hope and then you cut it off and you take it home. And I think what they would be surprised at is by doing those style of matches, the person who is doing the job, they get to be a good bumper, They get to be a good bump and feeder their offense. They make their offense matter because there's very little of it, and they get a lot better, a lot faster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to do an off the radar and then come back and be credible also, so it kind of it almost has to be people you've given up on as the baseline acceptance of their role.
Speaker 2: But I think like Ivy Nile is a good example because she's just stuck in my head her against Lash, where she gets one move or two moves, I don't think like barries her any lower than she is now. Yep, right, that's like that's not going to hurt her. In fact, I think people would see like the one move you got, and she's like, oh Ivy showed fight.
Speaker 1: You know, tonight's show would have benefited from another match, no matter how short. Like I mean, it's just like I was thinking of people who paid tonight or did they get dark matches like there wasn't a lot on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and wrestling fans, I think we need to call ourselves on the carpet when we see those matches. Stop like saying this person got jobbed out, like Julia loses in three minutes and like this massive crime. I'm like, would you rather not be on TV for four or five weeks?
Speaker 1: You know, factually speaking, she has sort of become a jobber, but they don't have a spot. That's respect, that's that serves a purpose because if you lose quickly, it's you're being buried, as opposed to if you lose quickly it's because your opponent was better than you. But you're a regular. And that's part of our format, that's part of the cadence of how we how we build characters and tell stories. iPhone users, if you're listening to us on the Native podcast app on your iPhone, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our free shows by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts. You'll see a charcoal Great logo that says PW Torch vip on it. Click on that there's some free samples of VIP shows, and you can unlock the entire VIP lineup, which includes VIP exclusives plus commercial free versions of the free shows by searching pw Torch in Apple Podcasts and clicking on the pw Torch VIP logo and then activate your three day free trial and after that you can become a VIP member using your Apple account. It's that easy. Enjoy a streamline listening experience to our free shows and unlock all the VIP exclusives, including our post pay per view roundtables, the Wade Keller news bulletins, Everything with Rich and Wade, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, and a variety of other VIP exclusives. Just search pw Torch in your Apple podcast app.
Speaker 2: There's also this, instead of looking out for people's feelings, is lash Legend and Julia in an eight minute match that's meant to get lash over? Is it more likely to be successful in eight minutes or three and a half minutes? The answer is easy, three and a half minutes, So screw somebody's feelings. Do what is meant to accomplish the goals.
Speaker 1: Or put somebody different in there who is just there to lose.
Speaker 2: Who you can trust, who you can trust?
Speaker 1: Exactly, yes, exactly, what about the standardiation says, so many NXTU breasts as stand the same way pots with the camera, the same exact thing, gole, wait the same amount of time, and then and then their head and spile and their head and spile in the same way, and then suddenly turn away and go back to their opponent. Yes, I mean, there's such a reason.
Speaker 2: But to standard Deviation's point to add on to that, you practice that enough where it does look unnatural too, when you start feeling it, it comes natural because all those gots like Javon Evans is a great example. Now he's got this great authentic fire up. You know how many times that guy was told probably to fire up in these ways and it just looks silly and stupid. Now what you can tell the difference in it. He's practiced it and now it's coming natural and he's feeling it. So initially it's like bron Breaker is a great example. What is the biggest difference to when Brown Breaker debuted in NXT two point zero. When he would hit his move, he would turn to the camera and he'd be like Rah and it looks it looked like so performative that now when he like Nail's Joe Hendry and he pops up and he goes crazy, it feels like when a linebacker sacks the quarterback and gets excited. It's like to the point where it became natural.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and but you don't want to look like there's this There is a code written into the video game where you drop in a signature move and then the drop in the lightness of the wrestler, but the motion is the same. If you're looking up from above down at it. There's a move in the ring and you can see them as Sanitivation says turn to the camera and ah do their thing, and then they turn back and it almost looks like it is part of actual code in a video game rather than a human being just interacting naturally. And there's there's so much of what that that they're doing. There's you know, the same it's always to the opposite side of the announcers that you do the dives. Now you've got the timekeepers area where you do those spots. There's never I want things to look a little more awkward, like I want there to be like something where the hard camera can't really see what's happening. Like I was like a little bit more of a sense of chaos and less polish I. You know, we see in w W in Real last year how proud they are of you know, they did it mostly the humiliate Chris Park but and manufactured something that wasn't really a big deal, but they're so proud of how meticulous it is. And it just feels antiseptic and planned out and and I know that, Oh but we have TV accues to hit and a network to form, you know, fitted it within a format and all that, but it's like there is a way to do things that doesn't doesn't feel like it's just programmed code and and so much of that is the problem that we're seeing in annextinos. These wrestlers haven't been on the indie scene, just working, working, like you say, naturally reacting to a crowd without a hard time cueue, and they're scared to go over, you know, they're scared, let me not go over, like when they're scared to go over their time. They're scared to deviate from exactly what needs to be done, and everybody's on edge about it, and there's no natural flow. There should be more pliability and flexibility. Easy for me to say because I'm not trying to get make sure the main event segment doesn't get all the time it needs. But it's gone too far and I would pull back, Derek.
Speaker 2: But I think within those timeframes. And you see this development in wrestlers as well. Initially, what you're doing is you're just doing it, and then you start actually doing it, but you're performing, and then you're not only performing, you're feeling the performance and matt range from doing to performing to feeling. Some guys never get to that feeling mode. A lot of people don't ever get to that feeling mode. But if you get another enough reps under your belt and you reflect on the performances you had, that's when you get to that next level. But sometimes reflection requires a coach or someone who's telling you, how'd you feel about that? What did you feel when you hit that move? When did you feel the crowd come up? When did you feel the crowd start to come down? But just asking those questions and have somebody think about it, that's when you start actually becoming a master of the crowd.
Speaker 1: That's what Steve Auston always talked about it's like we need just like house show matches where there's no you're just you're feeling it. You're acting in the crowd, you're calling an audible, you're you're calling it in the ring. There's a structure to the beginning, there's a couple of key points in the match, there's the finish, but just just go dance to the music that's playing and.
Speaker 2: And and what you know what's sad is the only guys who are allowed to do that nowadays are the guys who are at the main event level.
Speaker 1: Who who are self indulgent.
Speaker 2: Well, not only are they self indulgent, but they know how to do it already, so they're just yeah, they're practicing a skill they've honed. And I even think some of them, like I noticed this in Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns. They got to this extremely high point and then that the crowd actually came down. It's like they lost the crowd right there. And you know that how long Seth Rollins is rustled. He realized that that moment should have they should have sped it up right after that because they actually lost the crowd. Now they brought them back. The last thing you want to do when you're climbing up a hill is to allow yourself to lose your footing and start slipping back down. You want to continue that momentum up the hill. But those are the guys who've done it so long. They probably realize that because they felt it, and they're given the opportunity to feel it, not someone to tell you, well, this is how you feel or this is what you do.
Speaker 1: You think about what a teenager. When a teenager learns to drive, like everything, Oh my god, I got to think about how to break I gotta think about the gear what there's a turn signal, there's a review and all that, and like eventually you just you don't even I mean, you should be cognizant that you're driving, but things just flow. Things are natural, and you're not thinking about where's the gear shift, which way I move? What, where's the churn signal versus winshield wiper like in wrestler ever, so much of what we see feels like a kid learning to drive. Yeah, yeah, they're just overthinking it, all right. I want to wrap up pretty quick here, Drell. I know we did a lot of talking there gone way over my time. I hope for plan for It's been good conversation. I'm not I'm not thising that, but let's I want to keep it kind of short next time. Let's instead of you saying I'll take me on last, we'll put you on first, so we don't feel like a rushing yet.
Speaker 3: Are you cool?
Speaker 7: Hey, I take it last. I stay on and watch the whole show anyway.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 7: And that's who's the thing that I wanted to talk about the most. So hearing y'all talk about it, okay, and that was good to do.
Speaker 1: So nothing else.
Speaker 7: Oh last thing will be just this to add on to what you was saying. I think Cannie Ray why she can't be like a Joba to the stars and like top of the mid Card. Now she did that and helped EO character develop an NXT when she was that person, And why can't some jobs be a story that they Finnah tell with that person. That's what I felt with Julia, that could have been the story that he told and just use that online to add to that character, because that's.
Speaker 3: Somebody that you could use and maybe need.
Speaker 7: So stop saying everybody getting jobbed out to be a story to be told.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't you said as a derisive pejorative. Yeah, it's just like you're not being It's just it's a role that you're playing that's valuable. It's like, yeah, cool, broal, thanks.
Speaker 3: All right, joha, good night, Yeah, thanks.
Speaker 1: Derek. Anything else from tonight show? You definitely like court Baron Corbin Trick Williams. What are you seeing in these two? A veteran against a new guy from NXT. How does this play into our conversation about the women.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a better match than they had at SummerSlam because it didn't have the Yaudi interference. And I think with the success of this match, which I did think was successful for these reasons, a lot of people, I think, measure success by how many moves they hit or how many high spots they hit. But if you notice by the end of the match that crowd was solely behind Trick and avidly against Baron, yep, that was effective.
Speaker 1: And you know what helped is airing a video before the match where Trick said the only reason he has the titles because he cheated and took shortcuts. Yeah, like, when that's not whining and complaining that's a baby face calling out a heel for walking around with the title that he doesn't deserve, and a cocky heel who should be called out on that. That helps set the foundation get fans permission to boo the new guy who's back. I mean, a parent Corbin's easy to boo. But Trick gave people a reason a rally behind him because he got wronged instead of just acting like, well, it's no big deal. Didn't you know that? That's just the way it works.
Speaker 2: And it was fifteen seconds yep, and more than worth the time.
Speaker 3: Ye well.
Speaker 2: I thought that was a good and effective match. My only misgivings about it, which I think is still an issue with Trick, is you saw twice in the match where I think Trick is starting to get to the point where when he fires up, he is definitely in that phase where he's like in the post phase where it's like, oh, this is when I pose in the corner, right, Yep, it's starting to come a little more natural. I do think he's starting to lose the crowd during the heat, and because I watched the international feed on Netflix, they show you what's happening during the commercial break, and so a lot of times that's the heel just putting heat on the baby face, where it's the babyface's job to continue to fight back so the fans have something to watch, right, And there was two times, I think one actually happened after the commercial where Baron brings him up and he's got him in the clench, where he's got him at the back of the head, and you can tell he tells at him fight back, and trick like pauses for like a second and a half and then like gently moves his hands away and then fires back with a few lackluster punches. So I think that's like his next step is a babyface. It's whoever his coach is. When that hill says, fire back, you break their hands, you strike, fans start coming alive. You strike, fans come alive a little more, you hit the ropes, you get cut off. It gives those hand the fans the hope where you don't have to do anything in those three minutes because you gave them a reason to stay in your match, And I think that's where he needs to improve. But I think Baron Corbin is the right guy when it comes to size, when it comes to his character to get Trick better at those things that he's lacking right now. So even though they might need might not be blowaway matches, I do think this is a good matchup for Trick.
Speaker 1: I have a super chat from Derek. I don't think I got to so let's get this in here. Derek, thank you again for generosity in the super chat. I've compared Julia's trajectory to w b's attempt to build the lightweight division around the Great Saska in nineteen ninety seven, much like how that experiment didn't pan out led to the company shifting focus to Tako Mitchenoku. Derek, you're not in Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember the Great Sacega match where I thought it was awesome and the crowd was silent, And there was one I think it was at the Canadian Stampede pay per view where I was like, oh, yeah, this to me is great, but the crowd does not care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it is about crowd reactions. I mean, but you know, and then w B leans into that two hearts of time, it's doing cinema. It's like, well, yeah, but it's still okay to like pick up the pace and stile and curate your match length down a little bit, just out of courtesy and keeping like you said, keep the momentum, you know, take away the spots where you lose that. Sammy Zana was great tonight and we talked a little bit about him, but just want to say the interaction with him in Ko his delivery, you know, welcome back. No one's happier than me that you're back. But I do want you to acknowledge it's a hundred percent you screwed me, one hundred percent. You're you're a number condemticial, came at my expense. But if you acknowledge it, we can move on. Then Kao acknowledges it. And then Sammy goes, well you've acknowledged it, but did you say you're sorry? Like it can't like it moves the goal post a little bit, and and then Kao goes, I'm sorry that it affected you that way. And so he was a little clever with it with his wording too.
Speaker 2: I just love the way. I love the way Sammy talks with his hands. Yes, I think it gets you to pay so much more attention to him. I went to Italy two summers ago, and you know, the stereo type of Italians talking with their hands. And then we have these tour guides and they were like all over the place with their hands everywhere we went, and I just thought, as a high school teacher, I need to talk more with my hands because students will pay more attention to me, and so like, purposely the last two years I've tried to use more hand gestures when I talk, and Sammy saying, I'm like, like him, that's what I need to do, right.
Speaker 1: Like, yep, cool, All right, I could go on, but we'll end there. Derek, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Really, I always appreciate it. Sorry about my dogs interrupting, but that was great. Their fastest sleep.
Speaker 1: Good that happens. Yeah, I've got either side of me. My dogs are asleep, although they know when I'm signing off and they're like, oh we get we get a late night snack, get to go outside. So they know that they know the cadence quite well. Powd Torch VIP membership is open everybody. Pw Torch vp info dot com. You can get commercial free versions of our free shows like this one on our VIP podcast feed. It's customizable. You can subscribe to individual shows, clusters of shows that fit certain themes. So that if you want to binge the nineties past cast or are eighteen years ago flashback shows, you can have a separate feed for that, and then we removed to get the current post show analysis. There's that when there's a signature shows you want to listen to but maybe you didn't finish, it doesn't get pushed down the feed. When you get a full VIP membership, it's really nice, customizable for all the shows we put out so many perks. An ad free website too with all our content plus exclusive content like our written roundtable reviews of SummerSlam Night one to night two. PW Torch, VPNFO dot com. We'd love your support, give you a lot in return for that support. Check out Derek's column at PW torch and also his Summer Slam reports in the pay per view section pl section right now at PW torch. If you like his analysis on this show, his analysis the SummerSlam is waiting for you in written format for every match a weekend, so go check it out.
Speaker 3: Derek.
Speaker 1: Enjoy your weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh you too, YouTube?
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, it's been a stretch. It's been a busy stretch, so I will take take a deep breath and come back recharged. You get a seven day free trial over at patroon if you're interested in just our podcasts and not our archives. Seven day free trial Patreon dot com, slash p w Torch v i p or get a full VIP membership at c w toorch vp info dot com. Full details on all the benefits and all the different platforms and ways to sign up.
Speaker 9: Okay this year, Thanks everybody.
Speaker 1: Your time is valuable. Go VIP and listen to our show's commercial free A nice streamline listening experience. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP for full details on a commercial free listening experience, and with a full VIP membership, you can create custom feeds for individual shows or groups of shows by theme, and also unlock nearly four decades of archives and access our ad free website with VIP exclusive content. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. Your time is valuable, and that's one of the reasons we offer VIP membership. Pw Torch dot com, slash go vip. You can participate in the Wadkeller prog Wrestling podcast by emailing your question or topic to Weadkeller podcast at gmail dot com. You can also participate in the Waykeller post shows by emailing Weadkellerpost Show at gmail dot com during or write after, rad Dynamite or SmackDown. Let your voice, let your opinions be heard on our shows via email way Keller Podcast at gmail dot com for the flag Ship and Wadekeller Posts show at gmail dot com for our post shows. It's next level coverage that you come to expect from the PW Torch brand. No AI, no rookie perspectives, no unfounded rumors, no clickbait, no deceptive headlines, just high quality writing, breaking news and fascinating flashbacks every day at pw torch dot com. Pull yourself away from the evacuous social media experience that I know many of you regret once you get lost in it for minutes, if not hours at a time, and settle in for high quality PW Torch branded wrestling coverage. Admit it, you love Nick Barbatty when he co hosts with me on the Wadekeller Post shows. Well now you can listen to him every week on the Nickys Club, a VIP exclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 10: Hey, Wrestling fans. It's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nicky's Club, the place where the family of Nickys comes together for big laughs and Shark takes on WWE for WrestleMania rumors to surprise returns.
Speaker 1: I got you covered.
Speaker 10: The Nicky's Club where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatti wants to be part of your wrestling life every week, so why not let him go VIP pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with Patreons, Spotify, Apple podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You can also stream directly from our ad free VIP website, The Nikki's Club waiting for you every week at pw Torch vip. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite weight color podcasts and pw torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search pw torch and subscribe to a VIP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial, by the way, to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Weaightkeller post shows, the Weightkeler Podcast, Flagship, our Flashbacks, and also the pw Torch Daily Cast lineup. Again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience, but with third tier membership, you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Weadkeller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search pw Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. If you're listening to us on the Apple podcast app, on Spotify, or any other app that allows you to rate our podcast, please take a moment to give us a five star rating. It really helps us in the algorithm and helps them know that you recommend us to others. Just look for a place to rate the show on Spotify, on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to our shows and please click that five star rating, and of course thank you so much for listening. A PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go vip and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. PW torch dot com slash go vip. We have a streamline signup form and you can pay it with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. PW torch dot com slash go VIP