Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Do you like your jeopardy question?
Speaker 2: Oh? I didn't realize that we did that right.
Speaker 1: But let's watch some video games for one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That's a that's sweet, it's silly.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Strong reactions to the title animals human like teeth and a twenty nineteen trailer pushed this film's from mare to twenty twenty for a dental surgery.
Speaker 2: What is Sonic the Hedgehog?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: People lost their minds over that. If you care about Sonic the Hedgehog that much, that passionately, Oh all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good for you.
Speaker 1: Good for you. I hope good for you.
Speaker 2: At least you're not thinking about yourself the whole time.
Speaker 4: That's true, You're thinking about cartoon hedgehog and whether or not a cartoon hedgehog should have anthropomorphically correct teeth. When hedgehog teeth are what are they small? And I don't know either. That's why what else is going on?
Speaker 2: Time for what's happening? Hedgehog expert?
Speaker 1: Over there? Well, we mentioned it. Look outside we have had some rain, not a lot. The light steady rain more is on the way. They say this is going to bring about one quarter to a half an inch of rain. After the rain today tapers off, will get a brief eighteen to twenty four hour break before a second non atmospheric river storm moves in Thursday night into Friday, also called light rain.
Speaker 4: Northern California definitely did get the majority of the rain from these storms that have rolled in. San Francisco set a daily record for almost two and a half inches of rain in a single day. All of this, of course, was drawing some concern for the fire areas. National Weather Service said not to worry too much because the rain wasn't going to be coming down that fast and that hard. But speaking of fires, Unified has laid out a timeline for getting students displaced by at least the Palisades fire back on campus. That means that they're going to basically have to rebuild Palisage Charter High School, Palisage Charter Elementary, and Marquez Magnet Elementary. The district says they will allocate seven hundred and twenty five million dollars for the effort, and they'll also spend hundreds of millions of dollars on HVAC systems, seismic retrofitting, air purifiers for every classroom. This is one of those areas where it would make perfect sense to bring in Rick Caruso's steadfast LA planners and getting them on the getting them on the task of putting back the schools as quickly as possible.
Speaker 1: Trump is going after the alleged high speed rail project here in California, criticizing the project, vowing to investigate what he calls the worst managed project he's ever seen that is not inaccurate.
Speaker 4: He said, it's the worst thing, and we're going to start an investigation of that because it's not possible. I built for a living, I built on time, on budget, he says, it's impossible that something could cost that back.
Speaker 1: Because everyone had their hands in the coffers. Is exactly what happened. Everyone tried to make money off of this thing, and it got bogged down with bureaucracy and infighting. They were just actually wanted to build high speed rail. It would get done, but that's not why that project was about. It was about greedy politicians.
Speaker 4: When asked who would lead the investigation, he said, I'm doing that myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, we all have it met projects.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 4: The California High Speed Rail Authority, who's should be busy building things and not replying on social media, replied on social media ignore the noise.
Speaker 2: We're busy building. I don't see it, but apparently they're busy.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about the Beatles disguised as snacks? Customs officials say smuggled live beatles diskised as Japanese snacks, potato chips, and chocolate have been discovered at LAX. Officials say these bugs are well sought after by collectors and enthusiasts. Oh yeah, they they can become pests. These bugs can eat plants, leaves, roots, lay eggs on tree bark, damaging forests. The USDA will determine the final destination of the insects, they say, likely will donate them to local zoos. But they put them in the snacks. Oh dare they change the potato chips? Japanese snacks are so fun, They're so colorful and so cleverly.
Speaker 4: Packaged and weird because I would assume that beetles are actually would be a snack in Japan. No sure, no, no, no, what do they eat.
Speaker 1: Them snacks like wheat snacks, like crunchy, sugary, salty things.
Speaker 2: I've never had a cucumber flavored pepsi.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you haven't been in Japan. That's exactly right, right, every country has different things.
Speaker 2: Well, then, why are we arguing?
Speaker 1: Okay, I think your cholesterol might have a problem. Just tell me when you're done eating anything anymore. No, you can die with this water strawberry seed. The other one over one more over. It's fine, we'll get that, Jacob. We're gonna need a toothpick. And here stat I think I have one of my purse.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 4: Why it is we don't speak as much as we used to, Maybe not, Jacob. We use fewer words. You don't have a Jacob, don't give her a toothpick. I don't have a seat, I he yes, you do. Where is it on the side, No, it's on the side. You just let me eat strawberry seeds. I didn't want to embarrass you in front of Justin. It's been in there for an hour.
Speaker 1: Oh you got it. He didn't tell me either.
Speaker 2: We're doing what you're watch on Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Let us know what it is that you have been watching shows that you caught recently that you love or you hate, it doesn't matter, and we'll talk about some of the stuff that we've been seeing as well. You mentioned the whole Ozzie reuniting with Black Sabbath for their best show em well, and you you're mentioned the potential danger of you know, tearing an ACL or Justin mentioned tearing an ACL in the pit.
Speaker 3: Hey, Gary, Hey, Shannon, Hey Justin, Good morning CBC. Here everybody's favorite trucker. Hey, that coming about tearing your a cl and the pit, that is no joke. I'll tell you what. The last pit I was in was Voodoolow Skulls back in two thousand and eleven ish And yeah, I started that pick with my cousin and I should have left when she gave it because I want up in a full distal, tearing my shoulder surgery, the whole bit. No more pits for me. I'm double o gid.
Speaker 1: Out Voodoo Glow Skulls.
Speaker 2: Boom oo ah what I was just waiting for you use more words?
Speaker 1: Oh well, I like I'm a big fan of the Old of Tomorrow from nineteen ninety that was their first seven in GP, which one do you like the best. What album? There's nine?
Speaker 2: I think from the Disco Glows Skulls.
Speaker 1: It's Voodoo Globo Disco Gloat.
Speaker 4: There was a cover band that did all their music, read their music and disco. Really no, I just made that up. Between two thousand and five and twenty eighteen, researchers found the average number of daily spoken words dropped. How much would you say we speak on a regular basis in two thousand and five?
Speaker 2: Don't look at the article how many two? How many words per day?
Speaker 1: I'm a really I don't know the judge of like when you have words per per page or whatever. I never have any idea. I don't know how to ballpark that.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: They said that we speak sixteen thousand words a day at least in two thousand and five. That means nothing to me, and that we quantify that we've dropped. Well, it's more than fifteen thousand, but less than seven. But I mean, like, how many hours is that?
Speaker 1: For instance? You know what I mean? Like that means nothing. That means like foury and eighteen people are going to hit the roads today. You know what I mean? Like it means nothing unless you quantify it and you spend four hours a day talking as opposed to we spend now one hour a day talking.
Speaker 4: They said that sixteen thousand words was the average in two thousand and five. Now we're down to about thirteen thousand. Obviously, one of the major factors would I would be texting, phones and social media and phones. Well, irony of that though, that we use a phone for non phone purposes.
Speaker 1: But how much are we not communicating with others because we are distracted by our phones, that we're not using our phones to communicate, but we're using it for other purposes, right, Like how much would you be talking to somebody else were you not looking at your weather app or whatever the hell you're looking at, right?
Speaker 4: Or I would call somebody and ask them a question and use words that way. They also said there's a pretty strong cross cultural assumption that women talk more than men do.
Speaker 1: Wow, thanks for that research.
Speaker 4: The numbers do show women speak slightly more on average, about thirteen three hundred words per day compared to men just under twelve thousand. That's pretty small compared to the individual variation in daily speech. They said that they studied people who speak fewer than one hundred words a day to people who speak over one hundred and twenty thousand words per day. Here's the way I think that to help you quantify what that is is to figure out how much we speak per day, because I think we you'd have to argue we're above average because there's the four hours in the middle of the day when that's what we're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: But we would speak probably more in our real lives if we didn't speak for the four hours a day here, I know I would probably true.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 4: They said, gender linked differences in child rearing and family care. One possible possibility that could account for the difference in genders biological factors like hormones. If they were the main cause, then it would have also been present among emerging adults. But the generational changes were the driving force that should have been gradually increasing gender difference. But neither of those were the case. They don't know exactly why it is that women talk more than men.
Speaker 2: They said.
Speaker 4: It's going to have broader implications though, for human health and well being. That social interaction through conversation plays a crucial role in mental and physical health, and it's not just the adults that do this. It's if the kids are using less words because they've been relying on phones for that communication, they miss out on some of those key developing steps. That's one of the reasons why we've said, and other not just us, but doctors and researchers have said kids should not have tablets at a certain age. And then even if you do give them tablets after the age of three or four, whatever, it is that you limit the time that they're there because it robs them of the ability or the necessity to learn how to use speech.
Speaker 2: To get the things that they want.
Speaker 4: A very strong evidence that socializing can be linked to health, at least to the same extent as physical activity and sleep art. It's just another health behavior that we need to learn to deal with.
Speaker 1: Is this because you don't use your words as much as you should?
Speaker 4: It's probably a little bit, But I maybe that just means my emotional vocabulary is smaller, Like my emotional dictionary is a pocket dictionary and my wife's is a Webster's dictionary.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean it's talking about emotions, but.
Speaker 2: That's the only reason I wouldn't use my words.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, you're pretty noncommunicative when you're not asked to talk about them motions though, although you've gotten much better, much much better. Ah, thank you for noticing, well, you should just not respond to things.
Speaker 2: But I still not respond to things.
Speaker 4: I still not I still don't respond to things at times because I hear it in my head. I hear my response in my head, but I don't verbalize it. What are you saying right now? I see you say funny?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, this is what I'm saying because sometimes because I talk to you every day, right, and sometimes I feel like your responses are not the same response that you would have in person, like you are a different you're I don't know, it's different, I guess, but I guess it's everybody. I think it's everybody. Yeah, yeah, okay, probably, But you responded. I sent you a text over the weekend. You responded to I didn't think you would.
Speaker 4: Well, it is Wednesday. We like to talk about stuff that's on TV and to watch a Wednesday.
Speaker 2: The following program is brought to you in living color, but you watch it in the Americans love television. They win their kids plu USA television, mantrabta.
Speaker 1: You've been watching too many of those live television shows. So I mentioned when Keana asks. She asked us every week what we're watching. I kind of drew a blank, so i't really into anything right now. I was asking you about the Tariller Sharean properties, specifically Lioness, which you really liked. My husband like that as well, and Landman with Billy bum Thornton, which I think I'm gonna try today.
Speaker 4: We just started it. A couple of people have been saying that we should try it. I wasn't in the mood for another Yellowstone because Taylor Sharedan obviously is the creator of both of those shows, only because Yellowstone lived in its own existence and I didn't need it to be a soap opera e kind of thing. Landman is has some of the same elements. I mean, there's a Taylor Shardan obviously likes people who work with their hands. I mean he's celebrates these people who do these jobs and being an oil man. Uh, not the owner necessarily, but the people are out there working pump jacks all day. Those are the people that he kind of celebrates with the show. And Billy Bob Thornton is really funny, and a lot of it is the writing a lot of these one liners that he's got but Billy Bob Thornton is very funny. It's a lot funnier than I was expecting it to be. John Hamm is in it, Demi Moore is in it. Ali Larder actually plays Billy Bob Thornton's ex wife. I love all these people, and it's really really it's it's well done, it's put together well. I mean, he's he's got his ex wife, but he's also got a teenage daughter and now a young son who's going to work in the oil field, and he Billy Bob Thornton plays kind of the fixer for the for this small independent oil company, So anything that goes wrong, he's the guy who's got to fix it. So he's got to coordinate with the owner, he's got to coordinate with the workers, he's got to coordinate with the company's lawyer, all of that stuff. And he's just smart, whip smart, very funny. Billy Bob Thornton's hair is awful, but everything else is funny about the show.
Speaker 1: I loved the podcast Scamanda. This was about a woman up in northern California who was part of a megachurch, pretended to have cancer, scammed everybody it's awful story, but the podcast was so well done, very popular, and now it's getting the Hulu treatment. Well ABC News and then it goes on to Hulu the following day and it is called Scamanda as well, and it's based off the podcast, but it dives deeper into it. If the podcast left you wanting more about this horrific woman and about the people she was able to deceive for so long and to such an extent, this is pretty good. It only comes out one episode a week, so right now there's only one episode available. I think it may come out on Thursdays if I'm not mistaken. The other scam show, apparently scamming is very popular with true crime officionados right now Scam Goddess on Hulu. It's also from a podcast a podcaster by the name of Lacey Moseley and her podcast by the same name. She deep dives into historical contemporary scams and the scammers who scam them, and it is fascinating. The most recent one was the female Miami business woman using air quotes here, who was able to scam professional athletes into believing that they were hiring her to help them achieve generational wealth. In terms of the s ton of money they were making from their prospective sports they were involved, with Dennis Rodman being the biggest name that she scammed to the tune of millions. It's a very fascinating show. The host, the podcaster, she is very lovable, very personable, and it's told very well. So scam Goddess and Scamanda both on Hulu. You have to start getting into ninety Day Fiance. It's a train wreck.
Speaker 2: Did you ever watch I did.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it was still cranking them out.
Speaker 2: I think they have different offshoots a spin offs.
Speaker 1: If not, I think I've watched it for a couple seasons when I was on the Learning Channel, which provides us so much learning. But it was kind of the same story over and over. It was the couples having the same problems on repeat.
Speaker 4: It seems like I've never seen an episode, but it seems like I could write out so it is the problems.
Speaker 5: Hey, for what you watch on Wednesday. I know this isn't current, but I've never heard either one of you comment on Downton Abbey. I'm just curious if either one of you were fans and watched it from start to finish, just interested in hearing that.
Speaker 1: You know what, That's one of the ones I want to circle back to. I think I had a million things going on with the time that that was popular. And when I say that, I mean I have nothing going on, but I had other shows I was interested in. I have nothing A sorry, you're so busy, right, I am not, But I do want to circle back to that. I think what turned me off from that to to not sound like a complete roube, but like the accents were distracting and I couldn't figure out what they were saying. Oh my god, you have to watch that. That is ok.
Speaker 2: That is one of the only shows that when it was over, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna sound like depression. I cry, Oh cry so depressed because I just fell in love with the characters. Oh my god. Okay, I'm going to start that and land Man. I will start Downtown Downtown Abbey and I will start Landman. I'm trying to hear it.
Speaker 4: Shows I like to watch Good Lioness YEP season one and two, YEP, Dexter Original Sin.
Speaker 2: That's the this prequel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm thinking about starting the Agency.
Speaker 5: Yes, hopefully it's not about when Trump takes over the CIA.
Speaker 4: No, it's not thank you, good day, not political. The Agency was one of the great ones that is also on Paramount. It's Michael Michael Fastbender, Richard gear Is in that every right is in that good CIA London based CIA Agent. It's not fast, It is not full packed, full of Jason Bourne style fight scenes or anything like that. But it is a good, suspenseful show. We'll talk a little bit more a couple other shows when we come back. Also, four trailers up on our regular trio trailers. Keana's outdoing herself, So four trailers up on the website if you go to KFI am six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, Fantastic four, the New One, Final Destination, the New One, the Running Point with a running point, I should say, Kate Hudson leading a basketball team, and then Jurassic World Rebirth.
Speaker 1: All those trailers are up. Is there a dinosaur that's gonna get born something? Baby Dinosaur?
Speaker 2: I think Scarlett Johansson's in this one.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: Amelia Perez is the Netflix film that's up for so many Oscars, and it is about a woman, a trans woman who's at the head of a cartel that wants to live life as a woman, and it's a musical and its stars Carlo Sophia Gascone and Selena Gomez and Zoe Saldana. And when she got the nomination for Best Actor again, trans woman gets nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role. She was not only the first transgender person at least out transgender person to be nominated, but also the odds on favorite thirteen Academy Award nominations, etc. Including Best Picture International Feature, blah blah blah. Now, it was criticized by some of the LGBTQ viewers because they said it was a stereotypical portrait of Mexico, traditional Catholic Mexico.
Speaker 1: Also, they didn't use Mexican actors, and they romanticized narco violence forgetting the fact that this is a point of trauma for many Mexicans who live with this. More than one hundred thousand people gone missing in Mexico's drug war. Families spend years decades searching for missing loved ones. People very upset over this hollywoodization of drug cartels and what it means to survive them. There was an analogy I heard this morning and I don't want to completely butcher it, and I will because I can't find it with something about, you know, another country glorifying the KKK, that the KKK has been reborn, and instead of filming it in the South, you film it in Paris, and instead of having black people play slaves, you have other people play that. Like it's just it's such a you know, white person high on the hill of bel air, behind their gated communities, saying what people of Mexico are when you have no freaking idea, you're like so far away from having your pulse on on your finger, on the pulse of any community.
Speaker 4: Well, add to that the fact that when you go through Carlo Sophia gesco On's social media account, she has at times been incredibly racist, anti Muslim, anti diversity, and they have upended her campaign, not just for her, but for everyone that was nominated associated with the Amelia Perez movie. She has apologized for the tweets in question. She denied writing one that slammed Selena Gomez altogether, but she had said that she used social media as a diary.
Speaker 2: So when she.
Speaker 4: Called George Floyd, for example, a loser drug user, that no one liked.
Speaker 2: It causes some problems for them and.
Speaker 4: Everybody that wanted to point to her as being this just groundbreaking person because she was the first out transgender person to be nominated for an acting award. They're caught flat footed because they go, oh, wait a minute, She's not allowed to have thought like that. She's not aught to say things like that. I thought she was our team.
Speaker 1: When you're putting someone in a box, you don't realize how complex that that person could be, do you? When you're checking off a box. You should not put people in a box. Here's the quote from the article in IndieWire dot com. To understand why Latinos are appalled by Amelia Perez, imagine this. The Academy lauds a clan rehabilitation musical set in the Deep South but shot in Paris. It's non American cast, speaks in British and ausse accents, and the few black actors are largely relegated to extras. When you put it like that, you look very silly with silly Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also think general the Oscars are banking too much in the last couple of years on This is the first year that we've had us so and so nominated for a something, and we hope they win because that shows how progressive the Oscars are.
Speaker 2: It feels like that's just kind of an old way.
Speaker 1: It's such an old trope, isn't it? About the Oscars and critics and everything. We're so we are so dialed into what everyday people are living with. This is what I learned on the Gary and Channon Show. We are talking about a half an hour ago about how many words we speak, and you said something about sixteen thousand, and I'm like, what does that even mean? Until I know, like how many minutes or whatever. Chris did the math and the homework on that and says, according to Ai, So Ai did the homework, sixteen thousand words a day can take anywhere from eighty to one hundred and sixty minutes, depending on how fast you speak. So that's how much we're speaking a day, eighty minutes, from a little over an hour to a little over two hours.
Speaker 4: Which is roughly what it comes out to this show right after the commercialsom that makes sense. We're doing baseline just in those four hours, right, But it's not about us. You watched you're cordially invited on Amazon Prime. That's the Race with One Will Ferrell movie. It was like, I actually thought it was better than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was just going to be using Reese, Witherspoon and Will Ferrell's name for a complete vehicle of hell.
Speaker 1: It was enjoyable. It wasn't a blockbust, but you don't believe the rom com part of it. They only get into the at the very end. It is enjoyable. And then Bad Sisters Season two on Apple TV. It's an Irish TV show, but it is the season two. Both my wife and I thought it was better than season one.
Speaker 4: Season one won some awards, so season two is really well done.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app