Speaker 1: Here he comes out, hunk. He's like, you know, give me, give me anybody. I'll take anybody on and uh, you know the end of the look at his face is like, oh shit.
Speaker 2: It's the Golden Age. I'll tell you me tongue.
Speaker 3: Rocha then like the fantasy.
Speaker 2: Sat in the Rafield History the gold.
Speaker 3: And tell me Dewie.
Speaker 2: From Megabucks to the Mega Powers A SummerSlam nineteen eighty eight, right here on the Golden Era Podcast with Sean Mooney, Sean, where is your little, you know, little dab of cream to make sure you don't burn at the beach?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well I'll tell you where I am. You always need but yeah, out.
Speaker 3: In Arizona we would be eighty degrees here next week. But yeah.
Speaker 1: It was definitely warm at Madison Square Garden in nineteen eighty eight for US Summer a Slam, and it was It's special to me, as you know, Steve, this was my first pay per view event. I hadn't been with a company very long. I'd kind of gotten my feet wet as they say that, you know, in the event center, performing horribly. I was trying to figure out this business at the time, and I remember I was a wreck going into this.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, you're not too long before that.
Speaker 1: I was barely on TV and then here I'd been, you know, I'd been a fire hose of you know, learning and trying to take it all in. And then you're going to be going to Madison Square Garden and it's not it's it's a it's live right going out to all these people. So I I and I wasn't really privy to what was going to be going on in this thing. I knew the matches and that kind of thing, but I didn't know what my place would be.
Speaker 3: And too had some pretty good.
Speaker 1: Interviews as far as what you that they trusted me to do, especially with the Ultimate Warrior as we'll talk about, but it was it was special to me for a number of reasons, and certainly at the top of that is that, you know, this is where I was really put to the test and could I could I do it? So yeah, this is And then and for the company too, I mean there was a lot going on at the time. They already established some of these big events, but to add this one and and do it in New York City, I knew it was very important events as well they wanted to see. It wasn't in anybody's mind thinking it was going to be a one off. I really think you know, everybody knew, Okay, you know, we're doing this, and now we're going to have it was like seasonal became seasonal. We had these events, you know, WrestleMania would kind of be the way it would all come together at the end of whatever that see that we begin again.
Speaker 2: I guess springtime, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Royal Rumble and all the you know, as we started to have those, and it's funny today because they.
Speaker 3: Have them every month.
Speaker 1: Back then, it just seemed that we just finished one and I, oh my, oh my god, I'm going to start this other one. So but it was a really exciting times, especially in the world professional wrestling and what Vince McMahon was doing. And but as we saw in this one, there was still a lot of rough edges, which we'll get into.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was the first thing I noticed when I was watching on this because it's the opening of SummerSlam and you see virtual counting money and it's very very crude editing of the megabudget of the Mega Powers in them kind of doing their thing flexing counting money Andre looking strong. But when you have commentary like Gorilla Monson and Superstar Billy Graham, it really stands out to me as a wrestling fan because you're like, I don't recall this group. You always remember Gorilla or Jesse. This is a different one. Now. You personally worked with Superstar Billy Graham on a few events. What was your personal relationship like with him? But would you think of him being on the first Summer Slam doing commentary because that's like a Trivia night question later on if you're going to go.
Speaker 1: Out, yeah that you know, Superstar and I work together more than I mean a lot of events along with Alfred. We were, you know, a three man team that would regularly do the Garden shows. And when I say that Madison Square Garden, that we'd also do Boston and we would go up there and do these events. And I really loved the Superstar he was was really gracious to me, very you know, good helping me, you know, become educated. And you know, at that point in time, he was pretty broken down.
Speaker 3: I mean he was later in his career.
Speaker 1: He wasn't going into the ring, and I I just remember that he had a lot of hip issues at you know, he was walking around with a cane and you know, had mobile issues getting getting around. But as far as you know, working together, he was great. I really loved him. And but as far as as a commentator goes, he was he was pretty much that real old school where you just you would just pump in and you know, like, oh, that was a great whatever it is, you know, and instead of providing some layers or or some you know, levity to it, or you know, going more than that. And so I think you look back there and I think he got a lot of criticism for his his commentary because I think it was kind of that feel of, you know, the old TV studio kind of commentary. And this was before I remember, this is before the announced teams really started to you know, work together. As far as Jesse and Vince becoming what I always thought, and I've said it before, a very good team together. I love that dynamic between them and the banter and Jesse being able to put the boots to Vince all the time, and and and that he could you know, switch gears or there would be it was a different dynamic between him and Gorilla. And then eventually we would see that the team of Gorilla and Bobby, which to me, you know, nothing really compares. But that wasn't really you know, Bobby's gig, main thing going and had not really established himself as what he would become with his value to the w WE. So there they're still experimenting and uh, you know, uh, Vince, this was a really special event to him. I don't think he wanted to be necessarily featured as the as the main commentator for it, and so that's how that team came together. Uh, Gorilla and Superstar had worked together before, and other things you know that maybe weren't necessarily uh you know, big fanfare or where they've got a lot of play for it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was it wasn't to me, it wasn't terrible by any stretch.
Speaker 1: Uh. You know, Superster could do, could do, you know, great calling matches. It's just that we were we were already starting to see this transition to what announced teams would become at the WWE, and that matchup was really was definitely old school. So you really did have that feel that you know, the old TV studio or very small arena with the with the metal chairs, you know, so.
Speaker 3: That's kind of the.
Speaker 1: Way I felt about it. It was it wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't. I mean, I didn't I didn't see Superstar becoming you know, part of this, you know this group that we were going to continue to use all the time.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, Vin'ce loved bringing wrestlers randomly and Bruce commentary for a little while. Obviously you had Macha Man, Piper the Anvil, Hockey talk Man, Sean Michaels and ninety four, Like there's always a group of wrestlers he just brings in randomly. I think, because if they're so good at talking, they should be good at talking about other wrestlers. But sometimes I think it's more difficult to discussed someone else's attributes than yourself. Obviously, you can put yourself over. When you have to talk about other people on commentary, it's very different. And I want to say something too, is he doesn't get enough credit Superstar Billy Graham. That is because you listen to the way he speaks, you hear so many different wrestlers like wait a minute, oh, wait a minute, the way he's phrasing words, using daddy, the way he's speaking and saying brother like, dude, all the greats borrowed or stole, depending how you look at it, from Superstar Billy Graham.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, and he was also uh in you know, Hulked many times credited Superstar Billy Graham as one of the biggest influences. He wanted to be just like him, and also Jesse. You know, Jesse was you know, just I don't know how at least in the initial beginning of his career. He was basically a total knockoff of Superstar Billy Graham, but they weren't the only two, You're right.
Speaker 3: Superstar set a standard he and he.
Speaker 1: Was unique really of the first you know, there were other muscle men in in uh in wrestling, but nothing like what he would do with the you know, the tye die and uh and he was already doing the kerchiefs and.
Speaker 2: And and his different colors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, different colors, and and his rap that he had. H'm you know, I'm sure Dusty stole some of that too, from you know, I mean, they all did, and you're right, he never really got the credit that that he deserved. As far as you know, he he started an entire different, you know lineup of of of wrestlers that would you know, take a little piece from watching what he did and with his pros and you know the whole posing thing, you know, where the Hulkster definitely took that in and where it wasn't just you know, you saw muscled guys, right who had good physiques and obviously they worked out, but then you didn't see these guys that were just you know, massively cut with the help of science, as I say, to the extreme, but absolutely and you know Superstar was was you know, led the way. He was a truly unique personality and set the stage for many many wrestlers to come and still influence today. I mean there there are you know, I'm sure people can go back and they look at that stuff and you're going to see, you know, a band. He was doing it back then and really owned that stage. He paid him a terrible price for it because in the end, you know, his body was just a wreck. And even when I worked with him, you know he had issues because of not only the way he performed at the ring, but you know from what he put into his body, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's true too, but yeah, he know he I's a DVD that came out like twenty years ago. Now they did a documentary about him. The WWF did that is and very well done. And again it really shows you that a lot of people borrowed from him, and so the other characters took what they got from him, they made it bigger and larger. So if anyone saw the difference, he'd be like, oh, well, Holman's not copy and superstat Billy Graham if anything, And Billy Graham's copy and O Coody.
Speaker 3: Doesn't work that way history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they and they admitted, I know, you know, Jesse's talked about him many times, his influence, and same with the whole Sure, that's you know.
Speaker 2: That's what the actors, that's what the actresses, musicians, it's it's not like you stole, it's like you were inspired. So now you're borrowing from certain people, certain jokes, stand up comedians, all that stuff. So it's nothing new, it's nothing new in wrestling. This Summer Slim is new. It's the first ever Summer Slam headlined by Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Miss Elizabeth, Jesse, Ventour onto the Giant, Lindel the Man I Guess Virgil too. So the Mega Bucks versus the mega powers. Now this is you gotta get the the hen chake. We don't know how to shake you, you know.
Speaker 1: And I and you see these you know, the Baxters. Well when they go in the ring and uh, Randy's wearing the yellow uh brief whatever you want to call it, and you know, with the mega powers of the back.
Speaker 3: And I just can't help but think of that probably killed him, you know, because you weren't Hogan. Well it was Hogan, it was Histy. He wasn't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't the Halkster coming out with the Big Cape or the Bengals or you.
Speaker 3: Know it was and and uh, I'm sure that that just was like you know, but necessary.
Speaker 1: Also Randy was the realist and knew when it came right down to it, that's that's what they were doing.
Speaker 3: It was the mega powers and uh so.
Speaker 1: But but I I that was one of the first things I thought of, that that that must have just killed him. It's like that he had to you know, that costuming, whatever the whatever they were going to wear, it was going to be all Hulkamania themed.
Speaker 2: It certainly was.
Speaker 1: I'll put on the tugs, but I'm not putting on the bend I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Wave his finger. Yeah, this one. I love the fact that it's off the back of Hogan, Savage, Mandela Man Andre because I want to travel back to WrestleMania three, Hogan body Slam and Andre. From that point on, the WWF business just goes up. There is no like oh, business was doing okay, like no, it becomes a household name. We're having wrestling buddies, we got action figures, we have video games, board games, workout systems. It's endless in merchandise. And that's what Vincent Caama will always get credit for for being a promotional machine. But we have to give credit, I think to Hogan and Andre. That body Slam led to the birth of Surviarvys Series eighty seven, which also led to them trying to screw Crockett. But then that built up to this double referee situation, WrestleMania fours built around Hogan Andre one more time in the ring. Here we are again. It's been like six pay per reviews, well four pay per views, with them headlining events, selling tickets and putting butts in the seats. Can you describe to me how important Andre and ho Cogan was to just wrestling, but the w business.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no question about it. You know, I think if you talk about pinnacle moments that you know, launched the WWE to what it would become even today.
Speaker 3: That was a slam heard around the universe. It wasn't just I mean.
Speaker 1: It just.
Speaker 3: Changed everything.
Speaker 1: And I can't imagine, you know, two other personalities that you could have put into the ring where you could have made that happen. People probably you know, you could come up with other superstars, other personalities that did great, But I you know, I couldn't have seen like a Rick Flair in.
Speaker 3: There doing that. You know, it was.
Speaker 1: This Hulka mania and uh and this giant of this icon in professional wrestling. They really wonder of the world when it came down to it and pulled it off perfectly and in front of a crowd like that, just everything about it. And you know, Terry would say how that slam ruined his body forever he.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a work and Andre had to cooperate when you go up when you weigh five hundred pounds. But the Holkster said, you know that that his back was a wreck after that and they were working every day and never had any time to take care of it. But it was worth the price overall when it came down to it, because my god, look what happened from that point on, and I mean really professional wrestling was never the same again. And then you had a promoter like Vince McMahon who had that vision, uh, you know, the the you think about it. We've all had great ideas when we want to do these things, you know, everybody, but the obsession and the idea that you know, they always say the you know, failure is not an option. There's nobody I think on the planet who lived that and and made it happen. Then Vince McMahon, I you know, look where the business was barely five years even before that ten you know, ten years absolutely it was you know, the way it was divided up, and you're still seeing these small little shows and suddenly it is a world event and every and then to have that that foresight, that that vision of saying, Okay, this is going to happen and then we're going to uh take full advantage and then start having not just these house shows across the United States, which like how dare you? And then then on top of you, We're going to have these other more world events taking place four times a year where people are going to pay money to have it brought to their living room or they're going to go down to their favorite pub or whatever it is and they get to watch it, like.
Speaker 3: Who does you know? How do you even see that?
Speaker 1: And it's all happening very quickly, within a couple of years, and it's it's just incredible to think.
Speaker 3: I remember, you know, being there and thinking like.
Speaker 1: What how do they keep coming up with this stuff that we that you know that you can't and being in the event center and them bringing all this stuff in and these house shows and as we'll talk about schedule this event for Summer Slam at Madison Square Garden, well sure it was a big event, but nobody realizes that in the meantime, all these guys are on the road. We've talked about the what the formula was back then was that guys, the boys made their living going to house shows. They would go and get their percentage of what they would make dependent on the gate how many people showed up. And as this thing kept getting bigger and bigger, those house shows they're doing, you know, twelve to sixteen thousand people a night at some of these places. So when they're doing they're like, well, we got to do more. At one point and I think by the time of Summer Slam eighty eight, they were doing three tours across the country.
Speaker 3: Now you've got I don't know, maybe.
Speaker 1: Sixty or something superstars, you've that you're that are going around. You got an A AT, B and a C tour and you're doing shows. You're here, You're in the ring probably eight to ten times in a week sometimes, and these guys are going and they end up they had to be at this pay per view for you know, SummerSlam. It was just for them and many it was just another house show, a big one.
Speaker 3: But you have to.
Speaker 1: Understand that that that's the way the machine was grinding. And Vince knew, you know, maybe in the back of his mind he didn't know if there's going to be a dip or if this is going to take off, it's going to keep going.
Speaker 3: But it was just push push push, push, go go go, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, this was an event and it was as I said before going into it, it was like they were saying, we'll see how it goes. This is already in his head that this is okay, this is we're going to be doing four of these a year. Uh. And so that wasn't to say, you know, see how it does, and and it did really well.
Speaker 3: I mean the numbers on this were great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to bring up that house.
Speaker 3: Show four hundred thousand buys or something.
Speaker 2: Ye, yes, let me just bring up this house she brought the house shows. I'll mention it. So the day before SummerSlam, Summer sims on a Monday, by the way, So the day before it's a weekend. You have Toronto A Show, b Show, Montreal, and Sea Show Indiana. So all these wrestlers who are on going to be on the show on these house shows need to get to now New York City the day or the next day to make it to SummerSlam. You have Toronto A Show, Hogo Versus Bad News, Brown, Montreal B Show, Savage re Ass Dino, Bravo, Se Show, Bruce Pecake versus Hercules. Well, Brugus was pretty popular.
Speaker 3: There were big names.
Speaker 1: But you know, if you're in a and if you're in a small town somewhere, which so those guys have played, you know, some of these smaller venues. You're pretty excited that Brutus Beefcakes come into town and then Birk So yeah, and they and that's the way they played.
Speaker 3: That, you know.
Speaker 1: That, And it was you know, based on uh, you know, the whole business was based on a carnival card in a sense where if you got on that a tour with Hulk, you know, you were one of the top superstars and and and because you know if he's there, that gate's going to be big and you get a piece of that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you want to be in that tour.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, if you go to these uh you know, your these smaller venues and you're they're putting four or five thousand people there, that's a hell of a lot more of these guys who ever used to doing. Many of these guys on those tours, so they were happy to be there. And and then you would you work your ass off because you'd hope you'd get elevated.
Speaker 3: So that's that's kind of the way that work. But it was just.
Speaker 1: Exhausting and to go there and then this is a huge event, but nobody else knows that you've been on the road for three weeks without a day off but you got to keep you got to keep finding a way to do it and get out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the circus never stops. The no, keep on keeping going, I guess with three circuses going around. But yeah, you brought it up. The buyer rates too, is all right? This pay per view did four hundred thousand buys. Okay, WrestleMania four did four hundred and eighty five thousand buys, all right, talk about eighty five thousand different to me, that's not but of a dip because we are WrestleMania is a non name, a known brand, a commodity some of simese brand news, but it's attached to the brand WWF. So it really shows you that it doesn't matter right now what we do. If we put the w w F logo on it, we're gonna make money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And it showed it showed you that people were hungry. Uh, it's it's it's funny to think now where you would go, Uh, you know, is it going to be too much? You know we're going to get you know that we need to spread this out more. And they quickly found out no, they they'll take everything you give them. And that's when they started to take full advantage. I'm surprised that they didn't, that that model really didn't change for a very long time where they didn't do more. But I loved it because it gave us an opportunity to really build up these storylines to where you got to the point where it's like, I gotta have it. You got to give me, I gotta see what happens here and and wrap it up and then either you know, start some thing that would carry on, or you give them the finish and you could move on from there. So I thought of the the timing of those events and where they were apart were perfect. You know, I think that we could really do a lot in between. And then of course the machine is rolling because all these house shows. Yeah, and it was a gigantic promotional tool. Superstars and Challenges said that we didn't really ever give anybody anything for free. You got to see these guys, but the whole purpose of that wasn't necessarily to drive people to pay per view. It was to get them to the house shows when we came to town and we were everywhere, and no one knew that better than me, you know, sitting in that chair every day, customizing all of these markets, and I just kept thinking, like, how can we how can we keep doing this? At one point I think I did. It was you know, ninety three different events or that we were, you know, cities and stuff that we were promoting at one time. You know, they were you know, spread out, and remember I told you how I would do these, you know.
Speaker 3: Three weeks from tonight or you know, whatever it was.
Speaker 1: But we'd get the you know, and everything was we didn't have the computers and they would come over in sheets, you know. Howard was in charge of all that and kept track of it, and it was overwhelming. It would take me four solid days of doing one after another of these events just to get caught up, and then you know, there would be something else. I'd be shooting coliseum or whoever. But it was four solidays in that studio doing it over and over and over again, and something would happen and then I have to change the car or whatever, and then.
Speaker 3: Then we in the.
Speaker 1: Meantime, we'd be plugging an upcoming pay per view, which was also part of it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, at the time, it was.
Speaker 1: Here where we're talking, it's eighty eight and uh, it's coming together, but we're still ways.
Speaker 3: Away from what the w W would become.
Speaker 1: And it also showed Steve the network influence that you started to really see here. And I've spoken before about you know, Vince's idea of bringing other people in.
Speaker 3: He wanted our programming to look.
Speaker 1: As good as network sports. That was really important to him. And so in any you know, machine would come out that did some kind of special effect with you know, the video or what they got it, and that was an edit one and they had some you know, brilliant people, and there Kevin Quinn. I don't know if he's ever really been talked about much, but he was his kid, uh editor in there, and of course, you know, initially it was Kevin Dunn and Larry Rosen was the audio guy in there, and it was this small team and these guys did all of.
Speaker 3: This and that was it. And I also want to wish I want to mention too, we.
Speaker 1: Should mention Kerwin, Sophie's who passed away recently here and and uh, you know, Kerwin was the director for for decades and never I don't think he ever really got the credit for what not only what he did for the live events, but Kerwin had a tremendous influence on what we did with our other programming as well. And uh, just an awesome guy, I mean really and a great sense of humor. And he didn't come from the world of wrestling. He was another guy that Vince you know, brought in and uh didn't have a huge role first coming in, but then became essential and would was that way for decades. And I really I tried to get him on the podcast The Prime Table show me a few times.
Speaker 3: I seen it.
Speaker 1: I saw him at whenever I would go to uh, you know shows or something that invite me in, I always would find him. And because I just love the guy. He was great and I would always say, come on, you gotta gotta come on. You've got some great stories and uh. He he did do some interviews with the w W for some of their docs, but he was just not comfortable. It's like, you know what I'm done, When I'm done, Will will do it. And I just regret I never never got him in front of that microphone, because you know, we I saw it all happening and uh, and and I really wanted to give him credit for you know what he did, so but at that time it was a very small crew Steve that that put this this all together. And my point is that it you mentioned the greens, there's a green screen there that wasn't sharp.
Speaker 3: Or wherever it's it was.
Speaker 1: It was the the beginnings of really becoming what the product would look like. And and I felt at one point, I mean, we were they were watching what we were doing. The networks were watching what we were doing and copying what we were doing at these shows with their opens and the excitement that would you know, be generated before you went to that opening shot of the arena and Howard you know, counting people in to you know, when we're going live and that pop. You know, you wouldn't do that at a right at a at a football in an NFL game or something to work to tell the audience show, Okay, we're going live and you know five four three.
Speaker 3: But we could do that because people do that.
Speaker 1: You're part of the show, You're part of this, and but people, you know, they it added to everything we did there those early shows. If you go back and look, you know sports was it was always centered on the ring. It was kind of you know, the boxing mentality where you had everything was focused. The lighting would be on the ring, the arena would be dark with the crowd. Well, w w E changed all that. Chris Chambers, as you know, we're doing episodes with him and backstories, and Chris was one of those guys that was in on all these innovations that the WWE was doing at the time, and and talks about you know the signage. Well, you know most at most sporting events, you know, people they don't want you to have a sign because you're gonna block somebody's view or right, Well they invited it was because it was this interaction of bringing the crowd into it. So there was so many things going on, and every time they did one of these pay per view events, we learned something. And as you said, the green screen screen was kind of a new technology then it was was it?
Speaker 3: It was out there. I did all the events cre in green screen.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, I'm sorry, sorry, folks, but you say, yeah, that's the way it was. It was a green screen. I was sitting at a desk and there's this green screen behind me, like the weather guide. But it wasn't perfected at that point. And so some of those interviews with Jeane because he was in a different set I was in the real set, the set that was the locker room set. So my stuff is going to look better because that when you're trying to set that up in an arena, you know, and it's to this day. When you do green screen, the lighting has to be very even.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be perfect.
Speaker 1: You can use different kinds of lights in that gut, but it has to be even. And if it isn't, and you get shadows or wrinkles or something, and when they put it in, especially back then, it would tear, I guess is the best way to describe it. So you would see through it or or be another piece of video that would show through it, and it was or the edges you'd see, you know, around people's heads would be you know this white when when they move. It's kind of like those stupid things that people do.
Speaker 3: Now with the.
Speaker 2: Do this now yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But then yeah yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's so, but it was it was early technology. There. The point I wanted to make is that you know, Vince was not just wanted his product to be great. You know that people would want to see these guys in the ring, that the personalities and the superstars, but the.
Speaker 3: Look of it.
Speaker 1: He wanted to change as well, and that's when he was bringing people in from the network, and that's why I mentioned that network influence. Well, this was still the early days of that, but you can see that things were changing and and for the better as far as how we how these events took place. And it was important because Vince wanted to get rid of that old view of you know, seeing stuff in TV studios and basically high school type environments and.
Speaker 3: Hell, kbuck in.
Speaker 1: Madison Square Garden packed to the rafters. This was a whole new world for professional wrestling fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, And bring up the green screen for a minute where you go to Mean Gene in the Megapowers and you know they're ramped up, they're clearly on something and they're just having a blast, but each one is trying to get the last word in as they're talking. And then the green screen is just bleeding out because the camp they're two big, So take a wide shot you can see the edges of it. It looks I'm sorry, but it looks really really bad. And then later on when you go the Honky Tonk Man being interviewed before his match by me and gene. They did close ups, they realized like, okay, that was bleeding. That was a problem. We need to fix this. So Hockey got like this nice close up MCU of him, so he looked much better. So they're learning even on the fly on pay per view, going okay, that was bad. That looked really bad. Let's fix this. And so but we go to you with Opening a Warrior after he wins the Inner Continenthole title. Backstage, Yeah, you're just in a locker room, so you have no issues with that. I do want to talk about that later, but first I want to bring up the itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow Poka Dappa Kini that we were promised for weeks and months building to this matchup where Machu Man challenge Andre Imlin de Laman for a tag team match at Summer Slam. They accept. Obviously, they don't know who the partner is going to be because Hogan's away, his daughter was just born, he's away filming No Holds Bar, so he's not on TV that much. But they report that Jock Tunney has announced that Jesse the Body of Ra is going to be the special guest referee for this matchup because he's the only man who can lay down the law for both teams. So I kind of want to talk about two things here jessevn Tora. Why would he be added to this matchup? I get it, like, oh, he is on TV, he's a character. He doesn't like Hogan, so will he side with the million Dollar Man like another storyline in this matchup? But why do you think he needed to be added to just give this match more Gaga?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think you just said it there, just added added to it. And you know there was no love lost between the two. And even if you're talking about as a work work, you know, Jesse always put the boots to the Hulkster, you know as always that he wasn't by it comedia and uh so you know, to.
Speaker 3: Have that element in there, and then.
Speaker 1: You know that well, you know, Jesse has been in the ring, and so he knows all the tricks of the trade here and he might pull some fast you know, uh Shenanigan's here and and knowing Jesse, he'll be able to justify it somehow because he always did when in his commentary.
Speaker 3: So and and also.
Speaker 1: Vince putting Jesse over whether whether or not you know, I think it was begrudgingly because I think you know, personally, you know, it was always business to Vince, But at the same time it drove him crazy that Jesse kind of had that the attitude of really I.
Speaker 3: Could, well, I'll walk tomorrow, I don't care.
Speaker 1: And and and Vince knew it it was, you know, but he also they also were started starting to see, you know that Jesse was over, you know that there's an announcer and and uh, you know, and and really was helping the company.
Speaker 2: So uh, it was The Predator too, so that I just want to make sure everyone understands he was in The Predator a year before this SummerSlam. So I think you're bringing it up like Adam in there, because people recognize him not just from wrestling, to recognize him from a hit The Predator exactly.
Speaker 1: And uh, and you know, I don't know if it's felt like we're gonna be able to keep him around all the time, but I want him to keep to be part of this, maybe you know, bring him into the big events or whatever.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, that was a chance to profile him and also add another element to this, you know, could you know Jesse really be you know, call it down the middle. Could he really be fair or would he find a way to you know, help the other side.
Speaker 3: He's here, so to speak, And so it did, you know? It wasn't It.
Speaker 1: Wasn't really to me, just a little throwing, you know, But I mean you could make that work with the storyline.
Speaker 3: I think it did, you know.
Speaker 1: And I thought Jesse as a character was tremendous, you know, I really did, I think. And I liked his commentary. I didn't like with other people that besides Vince. He'd worked great with Gorilla, But I thought him and Vince were great.
Speaker 3: I really did. I just thought that that dynamic was great.
Speaker 2: It did work. You did accuse him in the Night of SummerSlam nineteen eighty eight or a backstage interview on the green screen that looked so good for you?
Speaker 3: And do you ask me I always look good?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: Well I know I always look good, even right now with our new cameras. So I just want to say, you look amazing right now, and I think I look pretty good too. But with Jesse, though, you ask him like, hey, so we saw some video like Mendel A man's offered you money over the past few weeks on TV. You know, are you taking money? And just even Tourra kind of he gets mad at you a little bit, but he brings up like, Wellison, I'm here to be the referee for this matchup. I ought to make sure that Andre understands because they even tease building up this match that Andre going to Jesse and like you better do the right thing or you know, bad things are gonna happen to you. Jess is like, wait a second, don't you dare say that shit to me because I'm a heel and you're a heel. But you're threatening me. No, no, no, Like I'm still a badass. I'm still the body. Don't screw with me. So there was nice elements of buildings that storyline, But the other part is building that Hogan and Savage have a secret weapon and it's Miss Elizabeth, but it's her. It'sy Betsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bakini. That bikini is supposed to defeat a million dollar man in Andre in this matchup. It does, but it turns out it's just like you know, old lady panties. I guess, but yeah, was macho man Like was there ever a design to actually have this it'sy bitsy teeny weenie like like I don't know, like a thong back or something like really edged out there in macho man's Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, they're bloomers, basically granny bloomers, and it wasn't like they were wanting to be wearing a thong or something. Yeah, just something that would be like a real bikini. Can you imagine, Randy, I mean, come on, Elizabeth. I remember they had a poster because the aerobics thing was big, and they had a post and I think it was one of the top selling pieces of merchandise they ever had at the time of her in this aerobics outfit, you know, with the headbands or the ands, the weights in her hand or something. I remember. But uh, can you imagine if they it could have been a nice bikini just see you see that skin?
Speaker 3: That My god.
Speaker 1: I don't know why Randy, because Randy liked making money and uh he signed off on that one.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: That was such a letdown for people, you know, to see that, because it was it was even beyond what people could have expected, even like a tight pair of shorts would have been better or something, you know, just give us, give us some, give us some some you know, inside here type shorts.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but these Boltie Bloomer things with.
Speaker 1: Yeah I was and and uh yeah, and Randy, that Randy had that.
Speaker 2: Influence ruined it, damn you you know right, And.
Speaker 3: I think it was It was a personal thing too. But I think Brandy didn't want.
Speaker 1: To make Elizabeth come up as like this piece of meat, you know, or you know those But come on, why why do you think? Why did people like Elizabeth so much?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: She was sweet, she was loyal, but she was also freaking beautiful, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like she was hot.
Speaker 1: And I can imagine how many teenage boys and that's you know, we love the families then.
Speaker 2: But dads were having a good times.
Speaker 1: Yeah I had, they were their first crush, you know. So what a missed up, what a missed opportunity? I mean, come on, show a bikini, Show her in a bikini.
Speaker 2: That poster is more seductive than what we saw here, because.
Speaker 1: And isn't that funny how you think back now, how risque that would have been. Let's say, you know, if she would have you know, just dropped it in like a cart one of the ring card girls or something, you know, just like that place would have played. It would have blown the roof off the place. That might have been like the biggest spot of the whole night. And if she did, you know, a photo shoot like that. Man, I'm not saying she had to do Playboy, but man, she could have done a fitness magazine in bikini or something like that. It would have the amount of publicity it would have gotten over that one again, phenomenal.
Speaker 2: She always had the face of.
Speaker 3: This missmissed opportunity.
Speaker 2: Really yes, yes, but she like she just takes off the bottom and then Jesse Andre, you know the man, They're all acting like a cartoon Like God, I've never seen a woman wearing Bloomers. Yeah, like it was. I get what they're going for, because in a wrestling match, how often does a woman just get a and rip off her skirt and reveals that she's wearing underwear tights. I guess it doesn't happened off.
Speaker 1: The payoff was awful. The payoff was awful. The build up was way over the top, and then the payoff was was dreadful because I know everybody you could just see the crowd reaction to It wasn't. There was not anybody that the crowd want. They're like, that's that's it. That really not that's it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Oh, there was a lot of the binocular is ready and then what what?
Speaker 1: Just what? And I knew and I knew, I knew it. I knew it. I was but yeah, this is not gonna be good. You're gonna you let these You're gonna let these people down.
Speaker 3: They were waiting for this.
Speaker 1: It was awesome and then you do that, like, you know, like it was even too far.
Speaker 3: It was like even worse than you could have made it. Well, let's say let's say they just could have.
Speaker 1: Done, you know, do one of those like a bikini like bikini bottom that that is a you know, goes up to the navel, you know, not not a string kind of bikini.
Speaker 3: People would have loved that. They said, Okay, let's see.
Speaker 2: You know, I swear to wearing like she was wearing. I swear to god she was wearing something underneath the bottoms. Because yeah, it just looked like, I'm like, you look frumpy and you're not from.
Speaker 3: That's the that's the look like you know, school marm.
Speaker 2: We don't want to collection I don't want to see you.
Speaker 3: But from the school Marm collection.
Speaker 2: Yeah not no. Again, it's fine for what it is, like, it does its job and the bad guys fall over and the good guy's winnings distracted by uh, you know, a lady. Oh my god, a woman in the ring? What's happening? Not none of nobody.
Speaker 3: That's that's another thing, like you said.
Speaker 1: They're like like, oh yeah, they're like definitely that dude. They're going wrestlings, fake, We're going We're going home, kid, We're not buying that ship.
Speaker 2: No. But Jesse is the Victoria is the referee. He's he plays down the law a couple of times, even changes the ring ropes from corner to corner in the beginning, just to show that he's the law and the ring. But he's reluctant. He's reluctant about kind of that three, but he does Megapowers obviously win. And this is again the big even more teasing of Savage and Hogan and Elizabeth and the dynamic between them three, because Savage is kind of like, why are we still why you celebrate with Hogan? Like what you you're in your underwear lady already? Yeah, what's uh, what's going on here? Why don't you come over here and hug me too, Like there's a lot going on. So they're already teasing this. And you brought up earlier about pay per views is only a few in the year. So when you look at each one of these pay per views with Macho Man and Hogan's side by side, each one of them as a bread crumb to the story of the Mega Powers exploding, it to me that is brilliant in keeping to it. You're talking about event centers taking four or five days to record multiple towns, multiple cities, advertising matches. Vince mcmah had a vision and he stuck to it. He didn't go, oh, it's a bumpy road, maybe I shouldn't do this anymore. Like no, he stuck to it. Took a year from me to go. So again, it's probably the greatest storyline that actually had extra pieces allowed to be grown out of it. What do you think about the Mega Powers Exploding as a storyline because you have you know, you have Austin and Rock and McMahon and Stone Cold and all these things. But I don't think anyone can touch this one.
Speaker 3: No. And also because they had the time, the time to do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, and your analogy there you said bread crumbs. That's the It's a great way to look at it is that you would you just keep dropping these breadcrumbs and people were just lapping them up.
Speaker 3: And bringing them along.
Speaker 1: And it really was one of those those storylines of how they knew they had this payoff way down the road, this is where we're going to get to and and and you know, Bruce talks about that being in those meetings back then where you know that Vince would lay this out. I think Vince was at his best then when he was, you know, really putting this all together. And but they had the time to do it. And even as we would see later and certainly some great storylines you mentioned the Stone Cold and Vince and you know, but they didn't have the layers that this one did as far as that that dynamic between hul Cogan and Randy Savage.
Speaker 3: And then you have Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: The oldest you know, the great story of all.
Speaker 3: Story of Yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Certainly bounced along reality there because of Randy's obsession and his relationship with Elizabeth was always talked about. You know, people would would wonder, you know, is this a work with her, that he the way he treats her, and he's so obsessive and he's very so protective, and it was always you know, what what is it between them? And for the most part, everybody will always say this is he really is like that? And so that would bleed over into the character that Randy Savage had established. And then you bring in someone like Hull co Logan, who's this uh you know, all American American uh each you you know, say your prayers, each your vitamins, and he's just assault of the earth. And he would never be sure betray a friend or have that lust in his heart for someone else. But then you're thinking, well, it is Elizabeth and it's you know, and he kind of sees the way Randy treats Elizabeth, and he's just trying to be a friend. And things happen happened to me before, and I was you know, and so I get it, you know that whole you know, you've got people out.
Speaker 3: There thinking that what's going on here? Maybe there is some truth to this. So that's why it works so well.
Speaker 1: And it was so subtle, like you said, when they're celebrating and and why would.
Speaker 3: You know, Hopes puts Elizabeth up on the shoulder.
Speaker 1: Or whatever, and Randy's kind of like, well, I get I get it, but what's he doing?
Speaker 3: Why is his hand there?
Speaker 1: Remember, there was always a thing like right and it was So that's why that that worked so well. And honest to god, there was some truth to it, you know that, you know, Randy not necessarily thinking that that he thought that, uh, Terry had eyes for Elizabeth, but that whole idea of you know, overshadowing him and always getting the you know, Hogan must pose and always getting you know, here there he's wearing the whole the whole breeze the Yeah, so there there was. That was another part of it. So that's why that works so well. And at the same time they had the time to tell that story and keep it going along and and and it was great and megapowers and then everything exploding it eventually, so one of the greatest Yeah, I agree with you, one of the greatest storylines in the history of professional wrestling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to have.
Speaker 1: Never seen anything like that before where you could take it that far and find so many different ways to entertain with it. That's what it came down.
Speaker 2: To well, especially a storyline that carries over generations, because you know, there's been so many wrestling storylines or so many wrestlers that say a wrestler a fan who just are today, if they're getting into it now, they're only watching today's wrestling. But some storylines are so powerful that they cross over and suddenly like, oh, I do know about Hogan and Matriman, or I do know about Austin McMahon or the bloodline, like there's all these little things that people can know because it's so powerful it carries over into new generations, which I think Hogan in Savage one hundred percent two, but also this Summer Slam has the Ultimate Warrior winning the Intercontinental title and thirty one seconds against Hunky talk Man, who held it for a long time, was the longest Randy Intercal champion for about I think twenty something years until Gunther. We beat that record, and it was one of those things where like will Gunther actually do it? And he did it, and so congratulations to him. But Honkey had that for a long time. But the big storyline is Bruce de Barbara Beefcake is the one who's supposed to be fighting Honky talk Man here and gets pushed out, gets replaced in storyline, Ron Bass, who really had nothing going on, shows up on a TV episode and stabs Bruce Piefcake in the face of one of his spurs, and uh, there's blood everywhere, but the the infamous Big Red X covers the screenere you can sort of see blood, but you can't see blood. It's in and out, but Warrior replaces him, winning the Intercontinent title in thirty one seconds. Now, there's so much around this because months before the Mega Powers even got together, Honky was going to lose the Intercontinental title to the Macho Man an episode of Saturday Night's Main Event. Honky apparently, according to rumors, refuses to do this, So then that's when Savage eventually wins the world title. At wrestling you have four because Hogan's got to go film a movie. Who can be World Champion? But Honky agreeing to lose to the Ultimate Warrior but not Savage to me is one of the shocking, most craziest moments ever, because why wouldn't you want to put Savage over when he seems like a man's man when it comes to business, Because we've seen him do it time again. But let's talk about it. What do you think about all this happening because Warrior winging the championship pretty big moment for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god, no, absolutely, and uh yeah and then thirty seconds thirty plus one second.
Speaker 3: Was a thirty one thirty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For Wayne to do that is what was a big, big deal. And you know, to him, it was all about respect. And it's amazing that he was able to say no, I'm not going to do a job for Randy Savage and get away with it. So I think that there there had to be some logic behind it. I mean, if that's something Vince really wanted to happen, it was going to happen. You know, honky Tonk wasn't that big of a superstar where he could make those kind of demands.
Speaker 3: And I think and honky Tonk Honky talks about it.
Speaker 1: I've heard him in interviews before about you know that a lot of it was about respect, and I think was the way they wanted to do it initially for the Intercontinental Belt that he didn't agree with.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was so much personal with Randy that, you know, but he had worked with Warrior.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, six months, had worked with him before and talked about how, you know, incredibly stiff he was. You know, everybody hated working with with the with Jim because he was just just wasn't getting it and he and in a lot of ways he didn't need to because he was getting you know, such a big push.
Speaker 3: The boys eventually corrected that old school.
Speaker 1: But when when Wayne talks about Dent's coming to him with that the idea that they wanted to put the warrior over and that he said that this guy, we're gonna we want to really push him and and we'd like to have.
Speaker 3: You help us do it.
Speaker 1: And he said that they asked me when I said, you know, okay, uh, he said, when they asked me how I wanted to do it.
Speaker 3: That made the.
Speaker 1: Difference because it wasn't just this is what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: You're gonna do it and you're gonna like it.
Speaker 1: It was we respect you as you know, a veteran, We know the this is a big ask, so you tell us how you think it should be done. Which for him, you know, everybody has their their what do they call it, their their love words or their you know, the how do you approach somebody? And that was what it was for him, that it was the respect and he said, okay, let's make it quick.
Speaker 3: And you know, we know he knew the business, he knew the pop it was going to get. And here he.
Speaker 1: Comes out, Hunky's like, you know, give me, give me anybody off, take anybody on.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know, the look at his face is like, oh.
Speaker 2: Shit, because it got him, not him right.
Speaker 1: And he comes out and it's a freaking squash and thirty you know, thirty seconds and it blew the freaking roof off that place because it was just like that, and it was that was a gift, you know, Honky tom Man, that was a gift for him to do that, you know, giving up the belt for one thing, and giving.
Speaker 3: It up in that fashion.
Speaker 1: It was a It was a huge It was a catapult for the warrior. I mean, especially as you said, look how long he was he held out of that belt. Now he didn't that belt.
Speaker 2: He lost the rick rude for a brief moment and then got it back.
Speaker 3: But you know what I mean, but that that.
Speaker 1: Whatever his ways of maintaining that belt, he had it for a very long time.
Speaker 3: So he obviously had to had some.
Speaker 1: You know, cred in the ring for people fans wise that he didn't have the belt just because he was danced well and couldn't play a guitar.
Speaker 2: You know here, did you hear that Honky refused to get the press slam because when they were working together, Warri were grabb you by your nuts and squeeze. So he was like, I will not take that press slam, Like I'm not gonna take I'm not letting you pick me up like you can. And if you wash the clothes line, he punches Honky right in the face with a clothesline. It's not a light boop. He goes He's like boom and he just goes down.
Speaker 1: Imagine taking that every single night, right, You imagine doing that when you're on the road, Like that's stuff that people don't even get to see. Right, and when you've been doing that, you know, five previous nights where he's taking your freaking head off.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, or taking your nuts off that and and they.
Speaker 1: Credit they credit Rick Rude for the one who really changed Jim's attitude.
Speaker 3: I think that's a nice way to put it.
Speaker 1: And and and and I'm not saying it wasn't in a way where Rick just beat the hell out of them, you know, and and and literally there were altercations behind back in the the locker room where he I know one time that he took him out, But it was because they worked together for quite a while, and they credit Rick Rude to you know that he had the patients that you know, he could have. Rick could have ruined his career, could have ruined Ultimate Warriors career if he wanted to. He could have he could have heard him seriously where he was going to be put out of action or but that was another gift that one of the guys gave to Jim Helwig, that Rick Rude had the patience and the willingness to do it to say, look, we can do this the easy way or the hard way.
Speaker 3: Every night, I'll go out there because I'm gonna win. I'm I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, the guys talk about you know that group from Grandma Bees, the you know the guys that they talk about, tough guys, and they say that when it came down to it, you know, like Rick may not have been the one that would be left standing because he wasn't a huge guy. But he'll swing until his body stops letting him do it. And and so you know, Rick was a legit tough guy and and didn't like to mix it up. So the fact that he got to the point where with Jim and said, look, dude, we can do this, you know, every night, and I'll beat the living ship out of you until you get it. And then at some point Jim started to say, Okay, I guess I better change. You know, no matter how bigger the influence I might have with Vince McMahon, this guy is not going to let up.
Speaker 3: And it hurts. And that's when they say that.
Speaker 1: It really he changed as a as a wrestler in the ring. And h I don't think he ever could stop being that stiff, because that's just what's his the nature. But he did start to learn how to work. And credit to Rick Rude for making that happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, credit to Honey time Man for putting them over, because this Summer Slam moment of Warror winning on a continental title will be played still to this day of highlighting just a quick Summer Slam moment like oh, let's go back and check out this amazing moment. Boom, Boom Boom, runs down, shoulder block, clothes the line, punch in the face, Boom, pina. The crowd never goes down. The crowd never sits down. They don't have time to it's music. When boom, we celebrate. So it was grateful for that. But you got to interview Ultimate Warrior later on the evening with the Intercontinental title. And this is your first thumb big interview with Warrior because there's classic moments of you guys, well I consider classic. You probably considered completely different feelings. You watch this one. You're a brand new to the game. You just you're just there, hold the microphone. What was your first reactions to this character? Because you told them before you did study up on these wrestlers. You had cute cards with pictures and names and attributes. You knew who they were. But now you're next to him interviewing him. What were your emotions like.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd done some stuff with him prior to that. This wasn't just you know, all of a sudden, it's room with him, and but and Geene would say the same thing. It was one of those you'd set them up and then just get out of the way. You might still be holding that microphone, but you're not doing you're not interacting, you're not your your reaction to what the person is saying is not important. It's it's just it was just okay, I'm back here with Ultimore order and go ahead and say what you're going to say, because that's what I am. I'm a definitely a mic stand during that and and that is uh, as we say, we're still trying to translate some of those promos, but you know, but it came with that high octane delivery and uh, you know, the intensity and people who became Ultimate Warrior.
Speaker 3: Fans love it, love it.
Speaker 1: And so that's that was pretty much, you know, my whole mentality that was just you know, get to him, make sure you let him do his thing, and then uh, you know, throw it back or whatever it was, whatever the out was. And most of the time it was just Jim you know, oh, you know, just finishing and they would go back to wherever they were.
Speaker 3: So that's that's kind of the way that one went.
Speaker 1: And and like you said, I didn't want to I didn't want to hit a home run or a triple or whatever. I just wanted to single that night, just get through make sure the gets done and I do my part and I don't make him do it again or anything like that. And that's what happened. So it was it was a good night.
Speaker 2: You were not sacrificed to the Skeletons that evening, folks, Yeah, you will safe. But Bruce Beefcake being removed from this matchup because of the Rom Bass storyline. I imagine if I'm Beefcake, you know you're still working house shows. As we talked about, he is on the C Show as the main event against Hercules, but here he was gonna win or possibly win the inter title. This is on pay per review. That means big money in his pocket. According to a shoot interview he did years ago, he said he lost over one hundred grand by not working this event and so if he did win or did lose here, he would have still continued on, probably on house shows against Hockey Talk Man. Instead, he goes off and works with Rom Bass on TV, eventually shaving rom Bass's head on an episode of Saturday Night's Main Event. So if your Beefcake, would you thinking, you're like, okay, well that's great. This guy Warrior is now in a Collin Champion and I gotta go work with Ron Bass. And again nothing against Ron Bass, but he is no honkey talk man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, and I love Brutus, but as we've talked about before, you know that he was not going to be at the top of the car. He got the character. I think he took that characters, you know, to great heights, and you know, his association with the Halkster certainly helped him. But you know, the people that were booking that did not see that as being a really good.
Speaker 3: Money maker.
Speaker 1: You know that they didn't know that was gonna think that was going to put butts in seats, And it was always about once we get these guys out of the road, are people got to come to see him? So, as I said, you know with the you're talking about those tours, well, Brutus could could headline those, you know, maybe even the B Show, but the C shows. And he was he had great name recognition as far as you know, you know, Brutus the Barber, but uh, thinking that that was going to be a great run and they obviously maybe if there wasn't an Ultimate Warrior around, they might have gone with that, but this was uh, you know, the pairing for them. They wanted to push him and he wasn't ready for really prime time of the Warrior, but he was on his way, and uh so that was that.
Speaker 3: Was where they were going to go. We've given that choice. You've heard superstars talk all the time.
Speaker 1: If I would have gotten that, if I would have gotten to go with this guy, I would have made all this money whatever. But that's just not the way they saw it. And most of the times they were they were pretty much right on with with guys that they put in these runs. So yeah, I would have loved to see him make some good money and stuff like that. But that what you think were people outraged that, you know, the Brutus didn't get that shot and get to go and go up against You know, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think so, No, I don't. I don't think it would either. One of the big things about this event, though, is the brother Love segment where there's gonna be a big surprise. We don't know what it is. According to rumors, Vince Mann is trying to get Rick Flay to jump over and join the WWF. He's going to make his debut here. That does not happen. We get the return of Hacksaw, Jim dug In after what recently happened with him and Iron Cheek. So you just with a company you got you came in May of eighty eight. So here we are in August of eighty eight. Are you hearing the rumblings that you know, Hulk Hogan, you know he's here, but we might get Ric Flair might be coming too now and he's going to show up, because that's what the segment's really based around. But Vince, according to rumor, says, well we got we don't have Flair, but you know we got Hacksaw goddamn it, so let's get Hackstack.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, that that there was always That's the thing. There was always those rumors that you know that Rick Flair was going to come, even you know for years and uh and and I think we all knew at some point it's going to happen. But uh we're people, you know, amazed that it didn't happen, No, because that stuff happened all the time where they would have these uh and and a lot of times, you know, Rick would do that just to you know, be able to help you know, get management, get more money, or wanted to stick around longer or get in another position or something like that. You know, people did that use that leverage all the time, and all it took was a phone call if anybody heard, you know, they he talked to Pat Patterson or something like that, which they would make sure they put out there just you know, we worked together way friends or you know whatever. So how how close that was to happening, we'll never know, but there was always that room and I know that. And it's too bad because maybe when if it would have happened earlier like that, maybe that Hulk Flair collision would have been you know, much more than it would become later when they tried to make that happen and it didn't. But yeah, you heard those rumors all the time the when it didn't. I mean, obviously we're kind of making plans for it. But you know, Hexa stepping in and you know, right, but he was welcomed back with open arms and it very well for Jim when when he did make that return.
Speaker 3: So and he's discussed that too. You know, he would he.
Speaker 1: Have liked to have been able to back literally back that car up and not have Sheikh in the car. Sure, but it changed the trajectory of his career and he's still reaping the benefits from it from today, you know, because of when he came back and then it kind of became this character, fun loving and all American and never looked back.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I always love Hacksag Jim.
Speaker 1: Because you know, before that, prior to that, he was you know, down mid South and all that. He was a badass, tough guy. You know, I mean literally, he was always a tough guy. But he wasn't the funny, comical. He was just a badass brawler. So that was that was good. That worked out really well for him. But it's too bad the pain he had to suffer in the meantime. But you know, it really did work.
Speaker 2: No, well, he got brought back instead of the iron cheeks, so nothing, you know, and.
Speaker 3: I was at the highlight of the show. No side did come out.
Speaker 2: I don't think it would have been the highlight of the show if Rick Flair showed up in the w and just be like, WHOA, this is cool because if you're a wrestling fan, you don't get every channel in the entire world. Just because wrestling's in the South doesn't mean I get it in the North. You know, that's a whole different ballgame of cable and television at this time, so it's not like everyone gets everything. So yeah, but it's a little different story. But also on this event, Powers the Pain make their pay per view debut against the Bolsheviks. Powers the Pain have the Baron, Baron von Rosky, who is a star before this, but he looks like the executioner. He's got a hood on, he's got weird pain on his face. But originally Vince Man is trying to bring in the Legion of Doom, the Road Warriors. They don't want to leave where they're doing because they're making a lot of money off of Japan and other different organizations that exist. So instead we get the Powers of Pain. The Powers of Pain. We're in a storyline with the Road Warriors a few months even before coming into the WWF. So it's very interesting because Rick Flair doesn't come in now, he comes in later. It's okay. Leader of Doom doesn't come in now, they come in later, It's okay. You know, was Vinces trying to grab all the talent from all the territories right now, and each one of them was like, well, I'm very valuable. So if you want me, it's going to cost you. Instead you got Powers of Pain, which are probably a discount price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but would he have liked to had you know, Animal and Hawk. Sure, you know it wasn't. I mean he did like to, you know, pill for some of the tent from other territories. Of course, you know, anytime you could weaken them a little bit. But there were are there were guys that he really you know, just personally wanted to get in and Rick Flair was one of them. And then uh, you know, uh, the Road Warriors definitely they were the hottest tag team in the world in every territory and in Japan. So to have gotten them over, yeah, absolutely, and the and people talk about the Powers of Pain were his answer to it. Yeah, but as we've discussed before, to me, you know, demolition was.
Speaker 3: Was definitely was the answer for the w W E. And they were you.
Speaker 1: Know, similarities, but at the same time they were unique in every in their own ways.
Speaker 3: And uh, I when we have.
Speaker 1: These discussions about you know, was there not enough room for both of these tag teams? And I always thought like this is you could have these two tag teams going against each other for years. I mean, you can have a storyline between those two and to think that, well I got to get rid of one because now I.
Speaker 3: Got these guys.
Speaker 1: I was like, that makes no sense to me, because they were you know, big tough tag teams, but still very different from each other and tremendously over come on Accent Smash were just yeah, they were right there at the top. And we know how popular tag teams were then, so there was plenty a room. And you know, that whole discussion never made sense to me that you couldn't have both, Like, please bring them in and I love them. They're just going to add to this this whole uh you know, giant division we've got of tag teams.
Speaker 2: I loved Powers of Pain, especially now too, because their baby faces are huge or strong. Well when they come out the Artist of God, dude, I swear it was like watching a video game, not the one that you were in European Rampant.
Speaker 3: Okay, just put the knife in a little different.
Speaker 2: Commented on. Someone commented they were like, why would you do that to Mooney? I was like, I didn't mean to do that to Mooney. I love money, but.
Speaker 1: Seriously, folks, it's.
Speaker 3: Good that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's good. It's good.
Speaker 1: Here. I told you I had it all over on Lynda McMahon when I made that colony.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right, you one up on that one. You got them, yeah, but with powers of Pain. Though it was not more obvious to me watching this event last night that powers of Pain was Vince Man's being like, all right, go out there and do all the road Warrior tons like it was, honest to god, like watching a video game where they were just took all the talents from Legit of Doom, shoved them inside Warlord and BARBERI and was like, all right, just go be them, but we'll call you something different. And people might be offended by that, but honestly, after watching this last night, it was not. It was so obvious that Demolition is not the the Legion of Doom ripoff. For thirty years people thought it's Bars of Pain. The evidence is there, your honor.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, But you know and love those guys, but they were not Hawk and Annim. Their promos or lack of were not by any comparison to what you know, mikeah Joe could do. And you know, and I've talked before too about about Hawk that he he had. I loved his voice well, you know that whole I mean his you could have been a great voiceover guy. I always thought, you know, there's a few guys in there. Bill Edy is another one who I always thought had great pipes and being an announcer, I could appreciate that. But they, as we know, back then, you know, promos were everything too. You know, it wasn't just what you did in the ring. You had to be able to get in front of a camera and sell it. And and those two and Mike was one of the best, you know, and and and the creativity, not just the delivery, but the creativity and stuff they would come up with. Yeah, so sure, yeah, there's no question you're right that Powers of Pain was Vince's answer to.
Speaker 3: The Road Warriors. But but as.
Speaker 1: Far as how they did it in the ring, the way they could move in the ring, and the promos they did, there was no there was no comparison.
Speaker 3: They were very, very different.
Speaker 1: So in a sense of as far as selling and doing interviews, because Action and Smash were really.
Speaker 3: Good at it too. That was why to me to.
Speaker 1: Putting those two against each other or you know, on their own, it didn't matter.
Speaker 3: They sold tickets, no question agreed.
Speaker 2: Also in this pay per view is an amazing moment that's controversial to a lot of people out there. It's Rick Rude defeating Junkyard Dog. This is the end of Junkyard Dog in the pay per view. Don Morocco has the same distinction here in so does Kipetera, who holds up November. But in this matchup with Rick Rude, he's wearing Junkyard Dog tights. It's his face, it's airbrush, it's beautiful. But when Rick Rud goes to the top rope in the middle of this matchup, it looks like he's about to just like rip his clothes off, like expose himself. And he pulls off his tights on the top rope a little bit just to show his crotch. It's Sheryl Roberts. It's Jake the Snake's wife's face on his crotch. So apparently it is Pat Patterson's idea. When Jake sees this backstage, he runs out, he attacks Rick Rude. Junkyard Dog loses bibes qualification because of Jake. I have interviewed Jake and he was not happy at all having his wife involved, having the wife involved with the boys, or having his wife's face on Rick Rud's crotch. What did you see backstage this evening where Jake's reactions to this, because it didn't look like he was happy.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't will.
Speaker 1: Jake say all that, But nobody likes a good storyline better than Jacob rock and I and he knew.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Uh as far as trying, you know, separating his personal life from the business, I totally understand that.
Speaker 3: You know, it wasn't the probably initially, you know, him.
Speaker 1: Seeing what Brandy dealt with in his life, probably didn't want to have that part of his business either. But I think that he saw and then she had to agreed to to become part of it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like they just did this and said for the first time when Jake's backstage and he says that, and that's what. Yeah, it runs out there. So I'm sure they made it worth his while. And it was a great storyline. I mean, come on, it was really it was really clever. And and Rick with those the airbrushed tights that he had, Yeah, he could do a lot of those.
Speaker 3: We've talked before.
Speaker 1: You know when they went on the Kathy Lee and Regis, Regis and Kathy Lee and and he went on there with her face on his crotch and she walked off the set. But this was you know that this is a great storyline. And I think that, like I said, you know, when it came down to it, Jake's businessman, and he also understood the business really well and was really good about, you know, whatever.
Speaker 3: It was making it work. And so at some point he had to agree to it.
Speaker 1: And but I don't doubt for a meit he probably wasn't real happy and probably there was some trepidation in his mind of what's this going to do? You know as far as my personal life is, you know, exposing more of that. I don't like people knowing.
Speaker 3: About that part of me.
Speaker 1: But you know, like anything else, Jake Roberts was brilliant at you know, making storylines work. And you mentioned Jy Duh and it's just amazing to me. And I get people who know about his career or followed uh mid South and those other territories that he never really you know, he was popular, but never really got over to the anywhere near the heights that he reached in these other places.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that is though, And it's the combo things.
Speaker 3: I think that it was kind of a regional thing. Okay, it says like down south man, he was gigantic.
Speaker 1: You know, Hacksaw talks about what Hexau was there too with him, and and you know he.
Speaker 3: Talks about the crowds that would come in there. I mean the jay I d owned the place, you know he did.
Speaker 1: He knew how to work those crowds and and just was tremendously over blew the roof off every time. And and you know he talks about the fights that would be in the crowd before they went out there.
Speaker 3: You know that there was like a rabbit uh you know.
Speaker 1: House and I think coming up and uh, you know, people not really understanding that that it was kind of that old school that that Junkyard Dog was a part of. And it was his character was kind of thin, just junk j white, you know, junk yard Dog.
Speaker 3: He was a.
Speaker 1: You know, rough and tumble guy. They had the uh, you know, barking and it just people never really got it. So uh that that always was kind of amazing to me. And I didn't understand it at the time. How big he was down south. You know a lot of these guys would come up and I didn't know their rich history or you know, the dues they had paid. So I would always look at it from Okay, how they kind of reaction they get from the crowd, how do they earn you know, the coming in because you know a lot of them people didn't know. Sometimes you know that they because people didn't they were the WWF fans, as we talk about, and so they have to really almost start from scratch. And then if they didn't get that push or that they had some gimmick, that was you know, kind of just thin. They might be one of the greatest workers in the ring, but we all knew what it was all about showmanship back then and cutting promos, and you know, for whatever reason, it just it just never happened. And you know, maybe was it was later in his career and he was beat up and had some issues outside of the ring.
Speaker 2: Well he doesn't look here either, though. I think if you look at like you in two years ago, he's musclier here.
Speaker 3: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: He doesn't look very like. I'm not the greatest man in shape e there're gonna but he doesn't look like the way he did a few years ago, and he doesn't. He just looks like a big guy versus before he looked muscular.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's it. I don't, I don't know, you know, maybe we did it a whole dark side of the ring about him, I believe. So it's not the junk yard we saw in Mid South or the a couple of years ago. He was in that rock and Wrestling cartoon with hul Coogan, so he was big enough to get a caricter and.
Speaker 1: I thought that I think they thought that he was going to you know, that it was going to be he was going to be able to stay up with that, but just it just didn't work out like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we Jake, we mentioned Jake and Rick Rude. Well, Jake beat Hercules later in the night. Just a simple match, you know, nothing very special, just this Summer Slam. I see a lot of comparisons online saying, well, this is like a house show versus a like a Wrestlmania, like a big event where each match is here because of storylines, you know. And I can see that comparison. But also I thought this was a fun event in general. But since we're talking about the Junkyard Dog and his kind of run ending bad news. Brown defeated Camp Peterra. Dino Bravo defeated Don Morocco. When you think of those names, Camp Peterra, Don Morocco, and Junkyard Dog, it's like they're not part of in my eyes, this golden era of the WWF. They're part of the rock and wrestling era of the WWF, and some people put those together, but I don't. Russellia one to three are part of rock and wrestling. After three, to me, it becomes golden era. And it's interesting to see these three wrestlers are gone, but yet they help build a foundation. But yet with wrestling. You noticed as well with wrestling, once you were out of the machine and you're not part of that machine anymore. The machine doesn't need you. It just spits you out when we're done with you. It's sad to see that happened to wrestlers like this. Kept Peterra, you know, going to jail for two years. Vince though, paying his wife and his kid money for those two years, but he was in jail, giving him a second chance, and he came back like there's a lot of good things that happened with these wrestlers, but this is the end fall three of them. And did you have any relationships with these guys? I know you just came in, but they're out.
Speaker 1: No, not really, you know, And it was kind of like that they were on their way out when I was basically getting established there.
Speaker 3: But I did work with them a.
Speaker 1: Few times, you know, Don Morocco, and I remember, you know, Ken Peterra. But you're you're right when you mentioned that rock and Wrestling, which was very necessary and very beneficial to the WWE then, but it was definitely an end to it. And then, like you said, we started the Golden era where you know, MTV wasn't going to really help anymore, but it was a great way to kick things off and get people's attention because I remember living in New York City at the time working for Major League Baseball productions, and even I becoming very aware of what was happening with the WWE WWF and you know, the Cyndi Lauper and the MTV connection, and it was like a big deal.
Speaker 3: Everybody was hearing about it. So a very necessary part for an a brilliant marketing strategy and get and connecting to that and drawing in a lot of young people and just exposing them to it. And I think even vinced that it wasn't going to last. And so.
Speaker 1: You know, you knew that that was going to at some point come to an end, and Vin said plans beyond it and was already putting that in works. But there were some that just weren't going to be able to go along for the ride. And the guys you mentioned we were part of that, as you said, kind of that rock and wrestling, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's sad to see that happened to wrestles, but again happens with sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there was you know, but it was also there was other things going on.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, it's not like.
Speaker 3: The like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they might have survived if other things weren't going on.
Speaker 2: Of course. The first match above the evening is the British Bulldogs versus the Fabulous Rougeos. This match happened before the infamous fight between Jacques and Dynamite Kid backstage, but they're clearly his tension because the rumor is neither team wants to loose to each other. So we have a time limit draw and if you watch this This probably is the best matchup of the night. It was incredible. It was great to see him wrestled. But the fabulous rouge os and their little baby American flags is just one of the greatest things ever because we're all American boys, do you Why is your American flag so damn small? But is that an indication that wrestlers don't respect each other by saying like I'm not going to lose to you, Well, I'm not going to lose to you either, Like, how is it really up to wrestlers to choose who loses and who wins?
Speaker 1: Well, it isn't when it comes right down to it. So it's a balance. I think you're trying to keep everybody happy, and then it's one of those things. Maybe you want to keep this storyline going and make people are going to go on and go see these people at a house show.
Speaker 3: So sure.
Speaker 1: There can be this tension between tag teams or or they don't like the storyline where they're going, or they think that it's going to hurt their image or something, and they're like, come on, look.
Speaker 3: Look at it. How about this?
Speaker 1: You know what if we have this you know where there's really no conclusion and then we can start the storyline between them. So it bottom line like if they want like, no, you're doing the job. You gotta you're going down to this, what do you think they're going to do, They're going to either have to walk or you know, so it's a it's a balance because what is their value to the company. And then we can't be seen giving into these guys every time and then everybody else is going to want to do that they don't like the storyline, so you got to be you know, very careful where you tread. But as we would see that this would become a very real issue between these two tag teams. They would not did not like each other. And as we know.
Speaker 2: Whole British Bulldogs podcast it's up on the Primetime with Sean Mooney YouTube channel right now and people are really enjoying it. You know, we're bringing back a lot of memories from the past and they're loving to hear you share your amazing insights on you know, British Bulldogs the Rockers, so check that out as well. Of course, Instagram is live and well, Facebook, TikTok everything, all the socials, all the socials are back in a live and people are loving Sean Mooney interacting online, so thank you for that. And later on we will read some questions that were sent in on Instagram, Facebook and YouTube on the Primetime with Sean Mooney channels, because people will have some questions for you about this event, so we will toss them out later on in the evening. So we appreciate that for interacting with us. But Frenchie Martin, I love him so much because he has a sign here that says Usa, not Okay. It's a giant sign. His giant rugos so small, so small. We have Bolsheviks loving Russia. We have Fablius Rujo's pretending the love of we got USI and not okay. Man hating America is just a just a pride and true gimmick. We have Demolition to Tag Team Champions. They're heels taking a Heart Foundation. Who are baby Faces? They recently fired Jimmy Hart after they found out in the contract that Jimmy was taking a large portion of their winnings. How dare you Jimmy? Dirty? Jimmy so bretton Inval turned baby face by firing him. But in this matchup, Jimmy runs down with a Megaphone hands it to Axe ax hits Brett in the back of the head demolition pick up the win here. It's funny. In two years from now they'll have a Summer Slam nineteen ninety rematch and it's probably the best matchup of that evening. So it's just strange. Do you think it's like when you have the Heart Foundation going from heels to babyfaces. It's so easy at this time. All you have to do is go, hey, my evil manager, well I don't like him anymore, and all the fans go, all right, well then we.
Speaker 3: Like you too, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And I always thought my feeling was always that the Heart Foundation were baby faces. I don't know, you know, even with Jim knightheart being you know, the kind of you know, crazy with them. But I always thought that they'd make better baby faces. And I think it was always very difficult for people to, you know, accept Brett being a heel.
Speaker 3: You know, Brett is that Brett. Everything about him.
Speaker 1: He's kind of like that, you know, that big brother, friend, protector kind of guy, even though you know he's not he's not fun and you know, fun loving and and jovial or you know, joking or something like that. But he's always a very serious guy that you'd love to have in your corner. So, you know, could he play a bad guy, sure, but he was just this guy that he felt like he thinks that he knows the difference between right and wrong, and that's the side he's always going to be on. So you know, you don't have to like it or not, but that's just me. So I to me, that always translated to a popular babyface. So I wasn't you know, the turn because Jimmy's embezzling from.
Speaker 3: Okay, damn you, Jimmy well.
Speaker 1: And it was kind of like people just needed an excuse, like, oh, okay, that's why they're going to be good guys now.
Speaker 2: You know, they would have been fine if Jimmy wasn't stealing money from them. They were upset about that part. So they're like, no, we're out, We're we're done with you.
Speaker 1: Right and and and the thing is with in Demolition, and Barry Darzel talks about this too, that you know, they would do stuff that was underhanded, but sounds like they didn't have to, you know, they they just they got away with it, and they were really good at it. You know, like he never caught them doing it. That's what he would say, you know, like that, So no matter what, it always seemed legit. They you couldn't blame the ref because they were so you know, it could be so dastardly and so conniving to do it. So you know that that Uh, the old megaphone.
Speaker 3: How many times was that used? But it worked right?
Speaker 2: So many so many megaphones, so many megaphones. Also, the Big Bossman in the feed of kokooby Ware, I think kokooby Ware might have the worst pay per view record in the w WFS history. I don't think he ever won a match on pay per review. But so Big Bossman just came in and he dominates, And you know, that's pretty much what happened at SummerSlam. Except a fun note that the theme song for this event actually turns out to be later purpose as the Royal Rumble theme song from nineteen one through nine twenty four, so the song just changes a little bit, which is a fun fact. Again, on a Friday night, if you have trivia about SummerSlam, that's your that's your trivia fact. But we have questions. Moster Mooney from the fans on Instagram, on Twitter, and Facebook about this event for you. Are you ready, sir?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should mention them before you start firing away on those. Give credit to Jim Johnston, who we could do a whole show on.
Speaker 3: We should. I've interviewed him several times and.
Speaker 1: Did a actual forum that we did at star Cast a few years ago.
Speaker 3: Fascinating guy, and.
Speaker 2: You have a credit he's do you have a copy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it was up. I know that you o'conrad has it and wow.
Speaker 2: I know. Yeah it was a great with you and Jim on.
Speaker 1: The part, and yeah you can also on Prime Time Sean Mooney. But you know, like a fascinating guy, I mean, just a talented musician and composer. And imagine that, you know, he he could go between all these different genres, you know, with different kinds of music depending on who the character. Imagine how tough that would be because most people that are composers, whoever, they have a you know, a certain mindset or style of music that they're very good at.
Speaker 3: And Jim could do, you know, he could whatever it was, you.
Speaker 1: Know, heavy metal, you know, grandiose, fun and uplifting, whatever it was, whatever was called for it. He could sit there and make that stuff come up, and so he certainly deserves an awful lot of credit for changing how wrestlers were welcome to the ring just by a few notes as we know that were.
Speaker 3: In professional history.
Speaker 1: So Jim Johnson really and a great guy, but deserves a lot of credit for what he did for making the WWE sound like what it did back then and and helping it become what it what it did at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people still in today's world complain about entrance music and the w because when someone comes out, they're like, who and then they see them, Oh, it's that person. There's only a few recognizable entrance musics now in today's world. When in the Jim Johnson era, one note boom, oh I know who that is? Yes, I know that is you know they They used to sell CDs and cassettes and albums based off of these people's entrance music, so we recognized who they were immediately. In today's world, even I as a wrestling fan, I'm like, I watch everything and who's that? Oh okay, and then I know who it is because I see them, not I hear the music and go, oh, I.
Speaker 1: Know that is so and you know who else deserves credit for some of that music too, was the Mouth of the South, all righty, and we talked about today all American boys. That was Jimmy. And you know, we don't like rock and roll. We'd rather listen to Barry Man I low h just look at the lyrics of that sometimes. But that's another story. But Jimmy, Jimmy really was a very talented songwriter too. So anyway, that's another We should do a whole episode just on music.
Speaker 2: I know we'll get su pretty quick playing it. But let's get to those questions so the fans can find out. Where are we From Twitter? This is from Andrew Haino with Macha Man Randy Savage in the top spot. How good was his friendship working with Hulk Coogan around this time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, I think that there was a lot of respect. I think that's pretty much. You could say that was a big part of it. They were, you know, at one time, I.
Speaker 3: Think, very good friends, and uh.
Speaker 1: You know, the circumstances of the business and and and Elizabeth. Not that it was because Randy thought that there was some affair or something going on, but Randy felt let down later on when when they started to break apart, and she was good friends with Linda Hulk, Hogan's wife at the time, and uh, I think Randy felt that, you know, they were closer or better friends, that Hulk should have brought more information to him.
Speaker 3: Go through I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To let me tell you about husband and wives. Your on team wife don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but it's also rows and especially in this business. Yeah, So that's what that relationship was, you know, at one point really good and then it really was fractured. And uh, I don't think they'd ever recovered. I think that they did, you know, reach some kind of you know, friendship again, but it was it was never the same that that whole storyline, you know, as we said, how long it went on and everything, But there was a lot of reality to it as well. There was things that you know, changed emotionally for both of them through.
Speaker 3: It, and uh that's that's kind of the way it was.
Speaker 1: I don't think that they were ever best friends to any stretch of the imagination, but they were close and and I think they both realized what they both brought to the business and and doing business together was was made them.
Speaker 3: A lot of money.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but as far as you know, being buds and everything like that, I don't think it ever really came to that, I think, but I do believe that there was always a lot of respect for what they both accomplished.
Speaker 2: They weren't in friendship and said from TJ L six six sixty six, what are your thoughts on Superstibular Graham being here on commentary? He felt out of place for me. Interesting, I also felt that way too, what about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, as we talked about at the top of this discussion that you know, it was a time when they were still forming that broadcast team, which I think became one of the best ever when you had Jessein and Vincent and then Bobby and Bobby Heenan and Gorilla and then you know, Gene and I. You know, I had the great fortune to have been a part of that too, but as a collective there, you know, just all that.
Speaker 3: I really do think.
Speaker 1: It became one of the best announced teams ever in professional wrestling. But this was before all this was happening, and Vince is still trying to find those pieces and Superstar Billy Graham. You know, Vince was very loyal to him, that you know, a superstar had worked for him and been loyal through those early years there when the transition was going on, and so Vince felt that loyalty to him and took.
Speaker 3: Care of a superstar.
Speaker 1: And you know, as I said, they were trying to find who was going to fit with who. Billy Graham had done a lot of he'd done commentary before, but as I said, it was kind of this old school approach. It wasn't where that Vince wanted to go with it. Vince wanted more of that kind of you know, network sports team, and he liked the the you know, that banter between the two and how they would mix together, and uh, you know, Superstar just wasn't that wasn't it, and being dropped in there, and him and Gorilla had not worked together a lot, so that's that's always tough too. But I think it was pretty clear that that wasn't going to be a regular.
Speaker 2: Thing from Rick Alcia, since the WWF was running monthly house shows at MSG during this time. Was Summer Slim eighty eight looked at as just another show or was there an awareness that this was going to be a big event.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was absolute awareness that it was going to be a.
Speaker 1: Big event, you know if you lived in the area and you were used to seeing you know, every month us coming down there. Uh and they and we did great crowds there. I mean I remember that we there was always a you know, a pretty good house. But you have to remember we spent how many months building this up, So even people in the area knew it was a big deal. People that would go to the shows every month knew it was a big deal. The cards that would go there monthly were part of the tour, so you would get you know a few of the big names there, but it wasn't a packed card like you did for we'd see at SummerSlam. So absolutely people knew this was a big deal no matter where you were. But as far as across the country, and you know, you know, everything was New York City and country, it was a big apple. It was the mecca. So no question everybody, Yeah, no matter where you were, if you were in New York City with not just another house show for the boys. In a way, it it was because as we talked about, they're coming off a loop of just their the Dragon, you know, but when they show up there that that day it's got to be like, I haven't worked for six months and I can't wait to get into that ring. Right. No, I'm in tip top ring shape, but I'm well rested and ready to go.
Speaker 3: Let's have a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was none of the yeah no, no, they were exhausted from Bruce Helly Hewison. I'm so sorry I bought your name, Hey, Sean. SummerSlam eighty eight is my all time favorite event over here in New Zealand. Wow, New Zealand. It was the first big annual show we really heard about. We didn't get it on live TV, on pay per view, it wasn't available, but they love this and they got it from their local video store. What's something you remember from backstage at SummerSlam eighty eight that never made TV or would instantly surprised fans? Now, that is a good question. Is there something going on backstage of this event that you remember that you're like, man, I can't believe that wasn't on TV or I can't believe this is happening.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I addressed that that that's that's really cool that you know that he brings up that you know all the way on the other side, of the world down on that as they say that it's getting the world's attention, uh, and saying that, you know, like we're talking eighty eight now and and it really is becoming you know.
Speaker 3: We always used to say, what the world is watching?
Speaker 1: Well they were now they were they were watching the WWF uh And so you know.
Speaker 3: That's that's very clear. As far as.
Speaker 1: Something happening backstage. The only thing I really do remember is that when we do when we do these interviews, it was you know, because I would did, like you said, the post interviews, you know.
Speaker 2: Jesse about him and stealing money and Warrior backstage about yeah, the.
Speaker 1: Warrior in particular, because as I said, we we could, we had to do those live because you you didn't know, you know, like you were the face paint and everything like that.
Speaker 3: So that was what what what.
Speaker 1: Stood out to me is I remember, like, after that match, how long it took for him to come back and do the to get to me.
Speaker 3: And I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I was like thinking like where is he because you know, you think like it after the match and I don't remember how.
Speaker 3: But but for me, that's what that's what stood out to me, that that.
Speaker 1: The span of time and maybe it was just because I was in a time worp, I don't know, but I kept thinking, like, it's not that far from where I am.
Speaker 2: He just ran the ring run about here.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and and uh.
Speaker 1: That there was no discussion of what he was going to you know, most of the other guys would I would have a.
Speaker 3: Clue, okay, but Jim was in his own.
Speaker 1: World as far as that would and and probably even if he wouldn't have told would have told me, I wouldn't. I wouldn't have been able to prepare for It was just gotta, you know, there we go.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about skeletons and sacrifice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay with that right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's that's what stood out to me that But like, and I was used to where I would have some idea where they're going, but with him, it was never it was just and and that was my first real exposure to what that was going to be like because.
Speaker 3: That never changed. It never changed. There was no reason to have discussions about, Okay, where are we going with this? It was just said, okay, going then when you're not.
Speaker 2: A now, yeah, I can't imagine, like, oh, so you know, what are we gonna do today, like you just just hold on, all right, That's fine. I forgot to mention earlier too, was Alton Warrior on the pre tape because they had Superstars and Wrestling Challenges tape two weeks before Summer Slam that would air after Summer Slam, So Warrior actually has the Intercondinal title on these loops of Superstars and Wrestling Challenges on those. So if your kid going to the event, you're like, wait a minute, why is he had the IC title. It's because he wins it two weeks later on TV and then a later on because they're obviously pre tape, So I just wanted to throw it out there. I totally forgot about that, and I.
Speaker 3: Think what they would do with those, they'd have to find a way.
Speaker 2: To give it back to the guy at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and some disqualification or something like that, so.
Speaker 2: You didn't actually win earlier. Folks, come back next time and buy the tickets. That's so funny. From from Instagram, though, this guy just wants to tell you he loves the poster. Readster twenty twenty five. That poster from Summer Slim eighty eight is everything I love about wrestling in that era and everything that is missing from it now. Yeah, the poster with a yet Liz on her hands on Savage and Hogan holding Yeah, there's yeah, it's Virgil and Andre and it's it's pretty uh, it's pretty nice. From a from Greenberg though, How loud and insane was the pot for Warriors music when it hit because you were there? Can you hear the sounds deep inside the arena?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: And that now, you know that didn't matter where you were when you started hearing that dunt You know that it was immediate. It was like what you mentioned when you know a few notes, that was certainly one of them. You know, we always know the undertaken with the Dome, you know, but Warrior, it was that beat that dun Dun dun d and people would just erupt and Madison Square Garden with and I think it holds.
Speaker 3: With twenty thousand but a little more problem and that place is.
Speaker 1: Packed, it's it feels like one hundred thousand, and they know that noise in there. And the only pop that was maybe bigger was when Honky Tonk went down, and that was you know, that was I remember that distinctly that you know that place just blew up because they weren't expecting that. They thought they're going to get something out, you know, like the honkey I means the Intercottinental champion had been an Intercottinental champion for a long time. He always found a way, and the Warrior was just you know, this tidle wave that just went in there and.
Speaker 3: Just destroying him in seconds.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, there was two giant pops that day in there for that involved the Warrior.
Speaker 2: Well again, thank you guys so much for your questions from Instagram and Facebook. Really appreciate keep them coming. Yeah, I really appreciate because from now on, you know, if you don't know spoiler, we have a lot of episodes in the can and so those will be coming esporadically, but also new content is coming out connected to those. We also have of course backstories with Chris Chambers. So there's a lot happening here on Primetime with Sean Mooney. We'll have exclusive audio shows, exclusive video shows, lots of fun things on Instagram, TikTok and Facebook. So we really appreciate you being involved here on Primetime with Sean Mooney, especially SummerSlam eighty eight. Your first Summer Slam, your first pay per review. So before we wrap this up, any more thoughts about Summer Slam.
Speaker 3: Well, it.
Speaker 1: It was great to talk about because it was kind of a pivotal point with the company that here we're you know, established the Big.
Speaker 3: Four and.
Speaker 1: It was I don't think there was ever a question that once did started putting that stuff in the motion that this was going to be part of it, and uh and and for many years to come.
Speaker 3: There you know, I was kind of spressed.
Speaker 1: I thought, Okay, when there're gonna add another one, I I that's what I thought, maybe be every two months.
Speaker 3: But but no.
Speaker 1: But but this was a pivotal time, as we talked about during this whole discussion of where you know, things were changing and every one of these pay per view events, every one of these big events that we were doing, we were learning and and uh and finding ways to improve. And as we saw, you know, the green screens got better, the bad the backgrounds got better, the way they shot the matches, what we did backstage was changing, you know, bigger and better, involving the audience. So it was all part of the evolution of what the w WE was becoming.
Speaker 3: And this was.
Speaker 1: This was a great example of that of of that evolution as.
Speaker 3: Things for changing.
Speaker 2: Yep, and next time we well, maybe we'll review this in five years and we'll wear our it'sy bitsy teeny weenie yellow pokadapakinis. But anyways, I'm not going to maybe he will. I'm seeing while he sham MOONI have a wonderful day, and we'll see you next time. Bye bye. It's a cold indige, I'll tell you, he tongue. Go to the light, the fantasy snap in the Rafiel history, down to the cold and tell me to buy