Speaker 1: What the heck is going on. We're gonna talk about that and a lot of other stuff here on the Sooner or Later Sport Show. Thank y'all for pulling up of course, that is Coop. I am Jay. Thanks pulling up here on the YouTube channel and listening work for podcasts, download and listen to while you're here. Please wipe your feet like subscribe, rate review, give us five stars. You know, people deserve it. I ain't give us five anyway, and gifted so own today's episode of The Sooner or Later Sport Show. Me and Coop got a few things we need to dive into, like the latest recruiting whiffs, and there is potential for some great news right behind it. We're gonna talk about the strategy as well as who do we see still on the list, and then we'll wrap things up. It is sec media days. That's why you see me traveling and Coop has a vendetta again Superman and I don't understand why we're gonna talk about all of that here, Coop. Happy Sunday, my man? How are you?
Speaker 2: Jay? I'm fighting off a food coma. I know this. This ain't Facebook and nobody needs to see no pictures or anything like that. But uh, man, you know it's the weather has been crazy. But with crazy weather comes like a great garden, right, and my wife loves loves gardening it up. And so I get to use get to use the Blackstone pretty much, pretty much four or five times a week. Uh, to you know, get some garden veggies. And so uh we pushed the pushed the show back a little bit for a couple of different reasons. And uh and man, I just I decided I would eat myself without any hesitation, not eat myself, but eat my fill. And yeah, cannibalism is I I went to therapy for self cannibalism and it's over. I don't have to mess with that anymore. But self can just trying to trying to trying to stay awake, but kind of excited now because we got it. We got some fun topics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got some fun topics. And I think the self cannibalism piece is a little bit on the weird side. We won't go too far into that, even though I'm actually kind of intrigued by the idea that you are here to self cannibalize. Said, that's funny our yet Wow, everybody that is coming out here to where I'm at. I'm here in Atlanta at SEC Media Days. As you can see behind me another hotel room. Your boy's always going to go. And it was hell getting here. It was hell getting here too hot Atlanta. I'm seeing online now that Cole Kublick is dealing with traffic like crazy. Alyssa Lange says she just got here after five hours of traffic from Charlotte Commissioner Paul Paul. Greg Sankey's white has been delayed, and yeah, he's gonna be like a super late. So he's on the list of what we're all dealing with, which is very fascinating. But me mine, I gotta I'm gonna tell you all my quick story of how bad it is, and this is why I'm kind of looking kind of glossy here. But thank y'all for pulling up. We appreciate y'all always joining us for the evenings. The rooms are filling up. We've got about eighty people populating in here on this stream. Thank you'll for joining. So Coop, I was scheduled to get here today at two thirty three o'clock I think Christern time. So I was pretty excited about that. That meant because it was a direct flight from Oklahoma City on Delta, so that means I was not gonna be here until I had to leave until eleven fifty was my flight time, So perfect. Saturday night, got stuff together, started packing, verifying I had all my equipment, my extends, blah blah blah. I got my big mic stuff so I can record some shows and locked on sooners here while we're here, and all of that. So I'm getting all this stuff packed up, put it together, put in the back. It's about eleven o'clock. I'm like all right, showered up, climbed in the bed, decided to go ahead and fall asleep. Around twelve thirty, twelve forty five, I woke up. I have a tendency of doing that. I'm getting old, so I wake up random for no reason. So I'm pissed, like, what is this? Why am I awake? This is dumb? All right, let me go get up and get some benadryl. I'm gonna put my butts asleep somehow, so I'm gonna get about to get up. So I said, you know, of course, the thing we all do. We start doom scrolling. I grabbed my phone see if any news is populated. I mean, I noticed there was the during the NCAA stuff that's going on the House and the Score Act and those nil deals that have been declined. The opposing attorneys just filed and said that's violating the settlement. So that's about to get interesting again. And so I was trying to see if there was another like Saturday night news dump something that I may have missed. So I'm looking and I get a notification my phone. I got an email Delta just told me my flight was canceled. What how is my flight canceled? Coop? What am I supposed to do here? So I get up, go to my computer, hop on there, do my research, do my digging, and they couldn't move me to another flight. The reason they couldn't move me to another flight automatically was because the only flights available were seven am. My alarm was set to wake up at eight. I was gonna sleep right through a flight going through. So I schedule it, finally, get everything settled, have a seven o'clock flight to New York that connects there and brings it back to Atlanta. Because all of the direct flights are full and I got two hours of sleep. So your boy is here on mumes, but excited to talk to you all and to answer the question that's in here. Oklahoma Day is on Wednesdays, So I'm gonna pull out my handy dandy pamphlet from here, and I'm gonna tell y'all the dates real quick, so y'all have them, and then we're gonna talk about recruiting and why we actually push this stream back. But yeah, Coop, I am on these yumes and hopefully bad things don't happen me today. Well I'm stous just say that.
Speaker 2: Hey, listen, you look good. I mean, some people, they they're they're just zombies on the airplane. They're they're walking around and you're just like, how's this person a functioning human being? Listen, I've been on I've been on the Red Eyes. I have gotten in from a night with a client at like two thirty am and then ordered the uber to arrive at five. You know I've done all those. So you look better than I do. So then so I'll give you. I'll give you, I'll give you credit to that.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, you know, I did a really good job of pampering my face live. I just I have I've had a few beers and I have a lot of water, so and I just ate and so I'm gonna be good for about two more hours and then I'm just gonna just, you know, pass out. And so you guys get to have a fun episode of me probably rambling in a lot of capacities. But let's get off of that. Let's talk about what we're here for. First and foremost. We pushed the show back because rumor has had it that we might get some news on the recruiting trail, potentially a commitment, potentially a top teams. Something may come tonight, but we don't know who and what, which is the most annoying part. So it's like, Okay, if it's good stuff, we're gonna wait. We're gonna push it back and push it back and hopefully we can talk about it and it happens while we're here live, and it appears that we're probably not gonna get that lucky. So guess what I'm gonna do. I'm just gonna like pretend like it's not gonna happen, but we're gonna talk about all the bad stuff. As Robert here has posted in here. Over the last couple of weeks, Oklahoma has lost recuse to Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky. Bayley b why you okaham mistake and a big problem or big question is why I'm gonna be honest. I don't see it as a big problem, but it is interesting on how these quote unquote struggles have gone, especially past July one, all the ones before July one, Coop I did I saw as oh, y'all just gonna f low people money. And if there's one thing I'm gonna be honest with you, are Oklahoma is not just gonna toss people money before. They weren't gonna toss people money before July one, that they didn't feel like it was worth it. That's why you've got a Bopentley. You've gotta select group of people you're gonna pay early. You ain't paying everybody because you don't know what you're gonna get out of that as a right now. But to me, it was more of a schools are desperate and you're seeing as from the smaller schools doing that. What you think about all of that?
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, other people, it's I tell my kids, this is you don't change who you are because of what other people are doing. Correct, And I think that you've seen a lot of schools go out and just spend massive bankroll over the past couple of years and it didn't produce the way that they envisioned it to do. And if we're being honest and we keep it abuck, like we all want every single top rated guy, we all want every single you know, every single recruiting win. You only can take so many people. And so you know this this new staff led by Jim Nagy is it is one that is going to do things from a from a perspective of this is his first time through. He goes and he looks at some of these grades such as you know in the NFL, it is, hey, let's you know, we may see a guy you know, at the mid to late round one and we really really like him. But there's more, you know, more pressing need that we should maybe do where you look at your draft from a macro standpoint, you want to maybe back off of that pick and see if you can get guys similar to that, because you know, in football, it's not like basketball to where like one guy comes in and can you pretty much change the franchise. You're going to need a lot of different positions, and I think that some of these losses that we're seeing are in positions that we can afford them. You know, like let's just go from the most recent with Jake Beverheart. Yeah we'll put We'll get into him deeper here in a few minutes, but right now, the safety room looks pretty good, and your path to play is quite difficult at this point. Brandon Hall has done a great job. You know a lot of people don't even bring up Hardy, but you know, you have Boganowski, you have powers. You still have Robert Spiars Jennings, you still have Peyton Bowen, and then you have a Murray Robinson and Marcus Wimberley in there too. And so if there's a space where you can maybe take in l and maybe not bump up and come out of what you want in what you're slotted to do, it's there where the places that we have, you know, really taken it to where we wanted to is you know, on the offensive line. You know with Deacon Schmidt, Deacon Schmidt was a guy that we really really wanted. So you know, when those when those requests went a certain way. We met them quarterback, same place, you know, on the defensive line. The guys that we really you know, thought that we were in on. It was the same thing with their I think, Jay, and then I'll pass it to you. The other point is there's a lot of guys who are going to come in and want to make you know, the top capability of their nil and money, you know, from now the collective slash university. And I'll just point out one guy who, you know, a defensive lineman, Taj Overton. Taj Overton. It was a situation where he kind of got quiet over you know, maybe mars Ish things started quieting down. It wasn't a lot of buzz. There wasn't a lot of talk out there, and that guy was not going to be able to come in and really see the field anytime soon. He had a lot in front of him. And I don't think that he is rated or envisioned as a guy who's going to come in, you know, at the around the two hundred and eighty pound mark and make it a make an immedia impact and get the you know that high four star money, come in and do some production on the field. It was when we were going to see itself with another David's oone situation where you have a high rate for CRUW who doesn't get a lot of field time because the guy's out in front of them, and then you have to have that awkward conversation, you know, after year one on bumping down the NIL money. So you've got so much money that you can spend, and if you think that a guy is not going to come in and really put it up right from the get, you know that you don't bend on what you're what you're willing to do. In Oklahoma State, we all heard Mike Gundy this past week. Mike decided that Nil was not going away apparently, So congratulations for Mike for coming around to Nil sticking around finally. But you know the university, they they up their offer for him, and they went after him, and they made him a good pitch. And so I think that it's not just playing it simple. That recruit comes and says, hey, I want this amount of money, and and OU says can we afford it? Cannot afford it. There's a lot that goes into it, and what the staff doesn't want to do is we don't want. We don't want to get to an emergency or get to a spot to where we need to spend some money. We already spent it all. And I think that it is a more I guess you'd say cautious point of action for this team and uh for this for this recruiting, uh, this recruiting staff at this point, and uh, you know, we won't see really right now if if it if it's good, or if it's bad. But I do think that the recruiting trail, you know, there's a lot of negative recruiting too. And I think that this team comes out and plays how you and I both think that they're going to play this year, all of a sudden, some of these conversations are gonna go a little bit different.
Speaker 1: That's where you'll see an adjustment to go with that. First off, remember Naggi's only been here so many months. There's a lot of refreshing and everything. I'm gonna address the video that Naggi had because we talked about it on here last show, So I decided to go back and watch the actual Triple Option show that that that show which is with mark Ingram, rob Stone as well as Urban Meyer. A lot of people didn't watch it, like watch the entire thing. Now, that quote comes from a question that was specifically asked by urban Meyer about value, because they were talking about the salary cap and how the cap exist and what do you do because you can't pay a whole bunch of people on that cap, because you got to have space to also pay the current players on your roster, especially the good ones. Like I mentioned, retention is just an important as acquisition, and Naggi talked about that, and that's where it came from. It was all from a salary cap conversation about current players and getting new players and how do you find value. I'll explain that in a second. But from there though, Coop, as you just mentioned, you gotta have the money to be able to do stuff. This is why I don't take any and no shade to any of you here in the conversation. I love you all a lot, right, I love you all. Don't remind you this real quick, Mike, Oh you might thank you so much for the ten bucks. We greatly appreciate it. Ten dollars stories. That's champonship. Jay is promising this year Oka ten wins. I'm here for ten wins as well. It's in my brain. A few people have said that, and Green Arrow pointed this out that Texas. What's funny is Texas recruiting stategy is coming to sound pretty much exactly what Naggie is saying, because it is literally the on War Richardson post that Orange Bloods did is that Texas said they're not gonna pay these high school kids all this money they're gonna do focus.
Speaker 2: On yeahur hours after hours, everybody started blowing up Naggie.
Speaker 1: For his quote exactly. They basically said, hey man, these kids asked for ridiculous money. That's why Texas taking them are winning people from them. And Robert to kind of point out your statement, let me remind you guys this You ready, y'all ain't the only fan base feel like y'all suck at recruiting. You know who things they suck at recruiting. Coupe Texas, Texas things they suck at recruiting. Look at this, Texas fans are losing their minds saying that they suck at recruiting and they don't understand how they went to the playoffs back to back years and for some reason, recruits don't want to go to their school. People. Explain that to me. Explain to me. Look at these message board posts. Man, they are losing their minds about the fact that they can't get a recruit to commit to them because and they went to the playoffs. They're getting outbitted by Baylor guys. This is why I'm pointing this out to y'all for this reason. It's not happening to just us. This is happening around college football. Smaller schools are coming in and throwing the largest amount they can because they're trying to get that parody game going. Oklahoma's just not gonna play it. We have a different strategy. One of our biggest strategies is we're just gonna go ahead and find not only someone there that's probably potentially better fit for us, or at least a comparable fit, or we're just gonna go to the portal. Kids are gonna bounce after a year at some of these schools when they're gonna be like, you know what, We're gonna slash your pay because you just didn't produce the way we needed you to, so we don't cut you pay, and we're gonna be like, you know what, We'll circle back to you. We ain't gonna pay you what you were making before. We'll pay you a fraction of it because we actually liked you and we liked your tape. You're gonna see a lot of that, a lot of that, I promise you that.
Speaker 2: And and Jay, let me let me just ask you a rhetorical question.
Speaker 1: Here, fair rhetorical how much Oregon?
Speaker 2: Oregon has some money? Right? Oregon has money? Right? Okay, let's see here. You've got Notre Dame who is you know, they're number four in the rankings right now. And yes, kJ Arsenal, you are right, my buddy. We're talk talk a little soccer here half second. But but you've got teams like Florida State. They got a lot of money out there. Florida Miami in twelve to thirteen. Texas right now is at ranked number fifteen. There is a lot of money available at Texas ole miss. We've seen them, Hey, hey, hey, SMU with all of the money that SMU has and all these wins that they've had recently, there are four slots ahead of us. So it is we brought it up the last the last show is you've got guys like with Georgia Tech pulling the big five star offensive lineman last year, got the big wide receiver going to Syracuse. I can promise you this I taught you know, I work nationwide. I have a lot of people that are up in New York and there's not a lot of ball knowledge or college football excitement up there at all. So some of these guys, and it's not I will say this, it's now a deal that you have to go out and you get yourself an agent. You've got to get an agent. You've got to get somebody who's going to go out there and have these conversations. A lot of these Why is the decisions aren't being made by the kids. They're saying, hey, listen, you signed with me, junior, and we will take care of everything. You just go out and produce and we'll do everything for you. Right, You don't see a lot. I mean, there's the here and there with a guy like a Felix Ojo who is out in the middle of every single conversation socially possible. But most of these guys, there's a lot less out there. It's not so much about it's not so much about I mean, like even look at Deuce Jeralds. Deuce Jeralds is filming YouTube videos of him doing campus visits on these things, and now he is pretty quiet. So all of these guys like David Stone, when during his recruitment, always out there, always talking, always kind of you know, getting the the what was David Stone was supposed to go to what was it? A school up north that just absolutely blows I mean, Michigan State, Michigan State thought that that he was going to be going up there. He rolled up the Miami crowd, he rolled up the O U crowd, and he got all these things going on. It's not you don't see a lot of that anymore. And we follow a lot of these guys quite a bit. So what happens is you got schools like Syrakese, you got schools like Houston. Now you know today with the wide receiver, you got a lot of the schools who say, we need to make a big splash here because our name has to be mentioned at some point in all this stuff to show that we belong in here too, because there's still the whole super Conference thing going on too. Outside of the NIL piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's a lot of components that's coming through. But The other piece to add to that, truly is that a lot of schools, a lot of the bigger schools, are getting wise to this. They're like, no, we're not we have And this is what Naggie said when he was on the Triple Option podcast. He basically as a Cliffs knows for you all, is that they asked him about value because you've got a salary, you got a revenue, you know, redshare cap, but salary cap, and you can't spend. You're not supposed to go over what are you doing? He's like, you know, yeah, what we do. And this is a question that was actually in the comment section, So let me answer this for you as well. You're asking about I'm not sure who the name was, I'll get there in a second, but you're asking about the coaches butting heads ah h care Jarson jarsonal eight, Yes, wondering if there's headbutting at the top when it comes to the recruits and no, Naggie addressed that part and this this Pobb came out July beginning of this month, and he addressed that he said, no, he listens to the coaches. He doesn't force players down their throat, but what they did was to simplify things for everybody is they created a color coded system as far as value go. So basically, instead of the coaches having to sit there and watch film and figure out these recruits, we've got eight dudes on staff that watch film NonStop, that are trained and have experience doing this, and so they do that and then they rank them based upon what they think. The value upset player truly is if it's a five star and they feel like they're five star status. Akaj Crill in which we're seeing predictions going for Oklahoma, sounds like he's mostly he's a very heavy Oklahoma Lean. We'll wait and see, but he's at the top of the list of someone they're gonna pay. So so if and or when he commits and we give him a bunch of money, do not be surprised because he's won. Bo Bentley was high on that list, hence why he's committed and we paid him. So they did the color coding thing with the coaches and so now they understand, Okay, do you want to spend that much on to do because the other thing, and this is why I keep emphasizing this to a lot of people where we're missing the force for the trees. You gotta pay your current players too. So when Reggie Powers shows out, when Michael Bobanowski shows out, when Isaiah Satanna or a coop Josiah Martin and Zion Currenty shows out at wide Receiver, guess what's gonna happen. You gotta pay if you want to keep them, because then of course the opportunity to leave and go get make more money is there. That's where you gotta balance that out. Is a balance I'm not saying, and they're not gonna pay. And that's even what even with like Jake Rosenberg was jumping in the comments on Folks was saying that nag he wasn't saying he's not gonna spend on top players, but he's got to figure it out because he's got to also retain the current roster. It's just like in the NFL. But the big difference, and Naggie mentioned this on the show as well, is that you only got so many years with these kids. So you're balancing three, four years maybe five with some kids with bringing in the new ones and balancing that number. Man, it's gonna get It's a very interesting setup. It's more of a challenge to figure out how because this is new. You remember, this is brand new for everybody, and so you've got certain schools like a Texas Tech throwing these big bags around and it's cool and all, but go look the rest of the players they have. They have one, two Tier one players, and then they just fill it up with everything else and then they figure it out and go from there. What they're trying to do is drum up attention. If they drum up enough tension to their name, guess what happens. Maybe they can get themselves some more recruits. The good thing for Oklahoma is we already got that. Now, we just got to decide what players we want to go deep into. And so if this player does populate over the we get a top ten or something over the next twenty four hours from somebody, y'all gonna have a reason to get excited because it'll be a player that is a top one hundred player that y'all been hoping for. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: And I saw somebody make a comment and it was really really an intelligent comment after the Everheart commitment yesterday that didn't go the Sooner's way, and he said remind it, remind me of yes, remind me again why we're freaking out over the two hundred and sixty seventh player in the recruiting rankings. And I think that like you got to step back because when when you when you hear things like we're in the top for this guy, and this guy could have been a silent commitment because I fully believe that Everhart gave the coaches the nod at one point, and so it feels like it when you have situations like this, there's a lot of things. I don't think Everhart was necessarily an il pece And if you guys don't know, his dad recently passed away, he played there, and there is there is a component of that in that decision. You saw him crying, You saw him if you read a lot of the notes on like how he what he said about the OU staff, like it was almost like he was apologizing to the OU staff. And I'm just going to say, if, if, if I if we got a guy and he sat there on the you know, during his commitment day and apologized to hell, let's just say Miami and the Miami staff over and over and over again. I don't know how comfortable I feel in that scenario, but you understand it because of the heartstream portion of it. But I go back to this, Jay, is you've got what do you say, a healthy twenty million dollar budget, right, a healthy twenty million dollar budget for a for a recruiting class, and you've got how many players are their own rosters now? Two hundred five ten, one hundred and five, one hundred and five total players. So you've got to divide all that money up and then hope to God that you're paying the right people the right amount of money. Because you watch in the NFL and a quarterback will have twenty three to twenty four percent of cap space. You still need five dudes to protect his ass. You still need three or four dudes to throw the ball to, You need somebody to tote the rock. And that's on offense, right. It even got the defense right to add today.
Speaker 1: Like taking consideration that you know, we've got a lot of young players right now too, and a lot of young players that you really like that we're gonna have to you know, we're gonna have to pay. And that's where that's where your struggle comes in.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: And it's nothing like I said, I'm not saying that we're not and there are some struggles here and there, and that that we need to improve some things. That's not what We're not just disputing a lot of that, but we're trying to add some additional context for you guys to understand what you have to do if you're gonna survive this game. Because remember, NIL is also going to be a component. Now, if the NCAA would stop, well not the NCAAA, the College Sports Commission, the CSC, if they would stop being stupid and denying in IL deals, basically every anything is coming from a collective, they're basically denying it, which is dumb because there's there's a great argument that a lawyer just made. Then this transitions perfectly into you know where things are gonna get very very squirrely over the next few months. Basically this here you go, coop. This lawyer pointed that out, and I thought it was basically genius. The collectives, they have agreed that the collectives are allowed to basically help facilitate deals for the players when it comes to NIL, which at that point makes the collective a legitimate business entity that in turn can go into an NIL deal that is a fair market value number to help these kids facilitate deals with bigger NIL deals down the line. This commission and the accounting firm that's a part of this. With this clearing house crap, they're basically denying two thousand dollars NIO deals for them to do marketing stuff, social media posts and all of this stuff, which is basically them drumming up more business for themselves or the collectives to be able to help facilitate more stuff for players. That doesn't make any sense. You're just basically like cutting off your nose to spite your face in this situation. This is where things are getting ridiculous, and it's gonna become a pain in all of our tush trying to figure out how it's gonna work. I'm annoyed by it. I'm annoyed by it because all it does is slow up the process of doing these quote unquote innel deals. That's why you see it. Like Texas Tech, they didn't do a nil deal. Their deal was a rev share deal. They are going to give these players the revenue share cut piece of the pie. And if you really think about it, if they're gonna allot five percent of it to this player. What does that mean for the other players on the roster. They're gonna start playing a whole bunch of freshmen. I know none of y'all want us to play a whole bunch of freshmen. We did that last year. What happened. They usually aren't at the physical ability to play at the level y'all want them to. Y'all gonna be mad. I'm saying, y'all is y'all in the comment session, y'all gonna be mad. I'm not gonna be mad because I understand y'all gonna be mad, Like, why are we playing these dudes? We need to get some We need to get some veterans in there. Well, that's what I'm Oklahoma's doing right now. This staff is they like their picks, they like the players that they've recruited, and we started to up players pay and it looks really good going forward.
Speaker 2: Like it does.
Speaker 1: It looks and feels good. Like every parent I've talked to that's been at a practice and have watched it and watched film, they're like, oh, this is night and day compared to what we saw last year. Last year, they were telling me, hey man, I'm worried about this and worried about that. We got to see if it works out. Okay, cool, now I talk to y'all about it. I told y'all our hopes was this, this and this working for us, and those things didn't work out for us. But now these parents are like, oh no, it's like night and day. I watched the film of last year what we were supposed to do. Oh, this looks completely different. Like they're actually doing the stuff that they were supposed to do, and the playbook is dramatically different. Believe your boy. Everybody is saying that. Everybody is. The parents are saying ay. And the parents that we have are ones that actually watch film and actually coach on the side too, they're like, oh, believe me when I say this, you are to like what you see out of this team. So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Though, And I'll cap it off with one other thing that Jay is my grandfather, Uh, greatest man I've ever known, a person that I absolutely love. One of his biggest things is, you know what, if you always tell the truth, you never have to remember what you said and what's going to happen in all these conversations with all these high school recruits. Is all these universities are gonna be talking all this mess, all these all these promises, all these lofty pieces, and then some of these guys are gonna go elsewhere and they're going to see, well, well, damn, it didn't happen like they said it was going to happen. Who do you think is the first university that they're going to think about? Because I know that Josiah Martin is one of the guys that we had a conversation with, we had a good cup of coffee with, and he decided to go elsewhere. He plays a year and then he says, come on back to you, and I think he's a guy that nobody talks about. Now. Is he going to be ceedee lamb? I don't really think so. But could he be a guy who catches passes on the regular? Could he be a clutch guy? Could he be somebody that every single time that he catches a pass, you're like, oh, damn, I forgot we had him. Yeah. I think that that's the type of guy that you're gonna want. Is somebody who says, you know what truth does mean something to me? And if you have a good relationship with these kids, and you just own up and be what you say you're going to be, and those guys start hitting the transfer portal. You have a guy who comes in the star rating. Don't mean a damn thing once you hit campus all nothing at all.
Speaker 1: And you know said that too, said that too, just you real quick. Somebody just said that recently. Michael Fassousi just said that literally in an interview a couple of days.
Speaker 2: Ago, exactly exactly. And so you got a guy like Michael Foussi. He has shown up on campus, and what has he done. He has pushed, pushed, pushed every single offensive line him and that is in the same room with him. He has done what he is supposed to be doing. And so we've had guys, and I don't want to throw dudes under the under the bus. We had a very very very borderline five star offensive lineman out of the state of Oklahoma here recently come onto the team. And we waited one year, we waited, two years, we waited three years. Nothing happened. Dude bounced and never played a meaningful down, never gave us meaningful stabs. And so you're going, you got that's the thing is is. Now that you've got the money tied to it, it's no longer well he's just a kid, leave him alone. He's just a kid. Now you get the money tied to it, every single one of us are going to go, why are we paying that guy money? Like why? Hold on? Why? Why? Why did we give him that much money? How much money do we give jack Sonrnle because we all feel good about saying it when it's that way, or when you got the guys who come out and produce and then all of a sudden they're like, hey, hitting the transferport autie and hold on, why can we not pay him money? I would rather be in a spot to where we have money to bump a guy up, then go to a spot to where we got to go and deplete the depth in order to keep somebody because I mean, they're they're threatening to leave because we don't have enough money because we gave it to two other guys who haven't done anything on the field. So there is a long game in play right now. And I would rather say, let's do a let's come together on an idea based off of measurables, based off of statistical analysis, you know, instead of going well, hey, these three sites say that he's a four star, so that means he's definitely going to be an NFL guy, right, I mean you've seen several I mean, I got the list here. I keep on bringing up. I just don't throw it away right now because there's so many guys that when you saw you're like, holy hell, this guy is going to be an absolute stud.
Speaker 1: And that's the point here too, exactly. That's the point here, Karris Jay. You made this right there. We've got five stars now and through show Up's five stars, it's gonna take time. This is also the thing I want you to remember too, And this is this only reason why this keeps getting rehashes for this particular reason, because I know that I've learned more and more as I've done this over the last since Revnables has been here. This is when we've really dubbed deep into the Oklahoma content and talking something to point out it is July. I don't know if y'all realize this, but a lot of the kids that we recruited over the last couple of years and they committed around July, their rankings went up by the time we got to October. Why because now people are paying attention to them. Just put it to you this way. I have no beef with the ranking system like most do. A lot of people do. I know Cooper voiced his distern with his his issue with it. I've heard others do it as well, and I totally get it. I get it like you should have skepticism mainly because it's humans making decisions. I get that computers aren't any better because they are taking input from humans, so not everybody. That's why you have three different systems, well now three, because they're all Everybody has a different point of view on why they value certain things. One thing I have noticed though, is and this is another example that came from that Triple Option podcast mark Ingram. I don't know if y'all knew this. When mark Ingram was a three star prospect, he finished as a four star prospect when and he said this on the show when Alabama offered him. His status of stars went up after Alabama and the commitment, but he was a three star initially. He's like, yeah, I was a three star coming out because days like mark you were a three star from correct when you were in high school? And mark Ingram replied back, yeah, I was. And then when you know at the off from Alabama and commit there, then I moved. That's when I urged my fourth start. I say that because a lot of these evaluators too it some of these sites. They look at the people that's evaluating the talent. If there's a dude that's known for putting people into the pros, dudes that's known for developing players like I mean, Todd Bates has a reputation, hence why so many jobs have come up for him, people try to get them. Bill beaton Bow has been tried to people try to take him numerous times as well. Heck, even to Marco Murray. You've seen so many these coaches people try to prime away. Those evaluators respect what they're saying too. They're like, oh, okay, you offered them. There's the reason why you offer them.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Granted, not all players will move up quickly, because I mean you can look at like the Gendro brothers. They've got offers from just about all the large gauntlet of schools, but they have not moved up in the rankings. S Het. But again, it's July, give it some time. He was a three star when we offered him. He commits in August, he's flying up the charts into four and he becomes a five star plus at the end. We haven't seen him break out yet because he's been injured, but he will at some point. Jackson Arnold was the same. He was in the four stars before he committee committed early at Oklahoma, and then as he camped more, he flew into five star plus. That You'll see that with players quite often. Sometimes it's just you gotta wait until the evaluators see all these schools want this kid? Why does all these schools want this kid? And sometimes they'll they'll correct it. Sometimes they like, now, we'll leave it as it is.
Speaker 2: And I would say that my beef with recruiting system is an actual beef. It just it is an imperfect system that's built off of you look at a lot of the time, you got guys who maybe show out as a freshman or sophomore in high school and you start going that guy's a future five star guy. He is a future five star guy. We all don't like the college football has rankings week one because something's always tossed by week three.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I hate them so much.
Speaker 2: When you get some of these guys who are projected as five stars as a sophomore. And I don't want to get crude, but my uncle said, hey, until something drops, you ain't a man. And I'm just saying, you get to a spots where guys were just massive. My little brother not a massive athlete. Not he had trouble with education portion of things too, But you know we were we were in Bartlesville alum twenty five years boom right, But we get our asses kicked day in and day out when we come up and play Jinks Broken Arrow, you know, Owasso. None of those things change. But as a freshman, my little brother came to Jinks for the preseason, you know, kind of with the rotation with the three teams. Dude had three sacks in about twelve snaps and guess what. We got calls and said miss ms Cooper, what do you guys? Where are you working now? From schools up here in Tulsa want to see and ajkj I one hundred percent believe in that one too. But if he would have been able to stay in stay out of trouble and stay in school like that is a progression where he would have probably gotten to his junior year, and it would have been a downhill spike too, because he didn't care for the game. He was just bigger and more athletic than kids his age at that moment. And so you get guys who with the recruiting systems who are a high five star, you know, going into their junior year and by their senior year. What do you do as a recruiting system do you drop the dude four hundred places and go we were wrong. No, you move guys up eventually, and maybe they're some sliding but sometimes those are the things that happen too. Guys also completely play. And et was the one where I was going with this, okj Arsenal, I appreciate man Elijah Thomas plays. Yes, yes, yes, limit it is. We had to go. We had to go get real beer up in Kane. But I'll say this is with Elijah Thomas. This is a guy who plays in Chakota, Oklahoma. Right, not a lot of people are going to know who he was. But if dude played in Duncanville, Hell, the guy played at Jenks he is It's different and and I hate to bring it over this way. Sometimes dudes just get ranked because of weird ass situations. There is a fella that's going to be starting for a team in our conference this year. Never threw for twenty six hundred yards in a single season. His highest season was his freshman season, like twenty five hundred yards. Because of his name, he was number one recruiting in everything. His final year, final game as a as a college as a high school player, he went eight for twenty one with under one hundred yards passing in two picks. Now, can you tell me how in the hell somebody can say that is a five star recruit? Can he be something different at this point? Sure, but that just shows you that sometimes the ranking systems they there's something in the mind and once it's there, it's hard to get it out because there's a lot of craw fishing that needs to happen at that point.
Speaker 1: Courses, Yeah, Jay, you're right, it's weird. Like I said, the evaluators have their own biases. If they look at and certain things, they traits they go after, and that's what they do. Our evaluators are front office staff that will be doing the exact same thing, have their biases. The staff has their biases and all of that. Let them figure out what they're gonna do. And I say that because I would like ow to at least give this. Can we can we get it through the year? Can we get of the season? Can get through the recruit because remember, I mean we've got some good players. I mean I think Danny odom And what it sounds like is Daniel Odum is not going anywhere, Like he's like, no, he's locked in with Emmitt Jones and it's like, oh, we thought that he was only gonna be there for Jadeen. They have a great relationship, but he really likes ej So you've got him sticking around if you get some war. Now let's talk about that. This is probably the segment where we need to transition into it. But I want to say one thing though, and we're going to talk about the players that are left on the board. Trojan fight jumps In says, my experience is when a guy says we aren't going to get into a bidding war for a five star, really means you don't have the money. Said five stars, asking for that is always a possibility, yes, but that is not always the situation. And I can tell you that from knowing people that I've seen five stars go to other schools and take less money because the school decided that they did not want to take them, say nope, you're not a take for us. Five star rate, five star rate to guy and they just said, nah, you're not a take for us. And in a lot of those situations, it's there's other components you look at, like, y'all don't want knuckleheads, but granted, you know Trojan and fight, no shade to you. But at the same time, y'all did take Barr Alexander and he's a pan of youtse toush the entire time. So, y'all, you typically don't want a pain, but you learn it. Once you get it, you're like, yeah, I see why this situation turned out the way it turned out. You're like, yeah, we shouldn't have gotten in a bed with this. You was hoping for the best. It didn't work out. It didn't work out. We've done it. Oklahoma's other too, a lot of other schools have done it. They're like, yeah, it just didn't work out the way I thought it's gonna work out, unfortunately, So you give it a try, you throw a flyre, and you go the way you go and that's just what it is. But in some situations you run into that where it's not that. It's not always a pay thing. Sometimes it's say, yeah, we're gonna move on now. I do agree in some case it is paid, but coop off that dead horse of beating it, because I know we've been talking like crazy about and explaining to everybody, and it's an explaining, Lucia, you explaining to do. We're trying to do less explaining here. But no, we've got to talk about what we've got left on the board before we truly wrap up, and then we're gonna talk, you know, Superman, because I'm wide awake. Told you I am wired from no sleep and I'm going to crash so hard tonight. Oh my god, I'm sleep so hard tonight, like it's gonna be Banana. I don't know, don't wake up in the morning's gonna be sleep so hard. But anyway, all right, the Jacob Eberhart situation we talked about, that was a he's gonna go honor his father where his father's number and play at his Alma modum sucks. That was the last minute decision. He even basically said it in the interview of you know, after weirdly way and Getty decided to go the other way. Sucks, hurt, sucks. I love Jacob's film. I was high on his film. He was one that I really liked. But I'm not concerned about the safety room because Brandon Hall is there. He has been doing great. We got the Jan Joe brothers, and I think we've got a couple others that we're gonna look at here. But I think for us right now, the big question is because the biggest l's we've taken, Zach Turner, just committed to SMU, which is fascinating because I thought he was gonna Miami. Miami was gonna pay him the most, is what I've been told, and SMU somehow swooped didn't won it fascinating Who was at who was at Miles the wide receiver that you had interviewed, He ended up getting yanked up by the same school because of you know, they decided to offer up a lot of money to get some of these kids. You know, SMU is trying to find a way to bid in the Dallas Dickerson situation. Of course, that didn't work out like we would have wanted. H ALZR. Miles, that's his name. Kid's good. I really like him a lot. And Jaydon Pettitt who went to Wisconsin. So question is cool, who are you looking at to replace him? Tell you Gross Diving Gross. Now, granted, diving Gross is a multi athlete guy. He does he is a top what Oh yeah, he's top one hundred easily. Lord he's good.
Speaker 2: That boy good.
Speaker 1: We're we're we're in a very this one, I can say from confirmed from it's funny. I actually had somebody hit me up that covers one of the teams that were battling for him with and they were like, hey, man, congrats, I've actually heard that. I think I got him. He is my word that.
Speaker 2: According to ON three and H again going back to the rating systems on the different places, sometimes you're on a rivals board and everybody says Rivals hates O you, and sometimes you're on the on three board that says ON three hates ou. ESPN. I think they've always pretty much hated OU. It seems like the only time they have somebody rated higher than the other are the guys that like, we're not super excited about but.
Speaker 1: They loved him. They love they love that's a rare one, but you're right.
Speaker 2: But David Gross is the number six receiver in this class. And he is a dude who a lot of people are throwing around, you know, some some some really interesting names as far as the comps go. And you know, so you look in front of him, You've got Booby Feaster, who as at one point a lot of people thought was potentially the number one receiver in the whole entire class. But he is right in front of him, Calvin Russell, who is the five star kid who committed to Syracuse Chris Henry or Chris Henry Junior at a model day, committed to Ohio State, Ohio State getting five star receivers just like uh, you know, hot hot, hot weather in July.
Speaker 1: And then like a tradition as old as the game itself, and like what they're saying.
Speaker 2: And then you got C. D. Morgan, Uh, and that's a dude who is uh that that's one that you guys might want to watch out where he's an Alabama kid committed to Alabama six four two twenty. And then Tristan Keys uh just committed to LSU two. So I mean, these guys are all I mean, very very high, highly sought after guys. David Gross is a kid who his family are OU fans. They've been OU fans for a very long time, and again, until things are public, they still can change one hundred percent. It's always going to be that way. But as of right now, I think that's your next commitment coming here, I would not I would not be too surprised if it's very very soon. He is a dude who is going to going to come in here and he is going to compete. He's you know, I really really think that he is kind of like the Elijah Thomas. That's the that's the receiver that does really really well in this system that we're running. You don't want the five six and thirty seven pound dude. You definitely don't want the is he a tied end or is he a wide receiver body type? But that six to one round two hundred guys who can move, you know, with the ball in their hands prior to injury, you know, the last guy that's uh uh that that you know we had come in and really just you know, really really do a lot from that body type. You know, Sterling Shepherd. A lot of people don't remember how good Sterling Shepherd is. Most of you guys probably do, but a lot of people forget about him because his body type was just it was phenomenal. He had. He had an absolute, you know, great body control, great ability to catch the ball in traffic. You know, he did not hear footsteps. Those were things that made him great. And and so you know, I'm very excited if you know, if people's that pulls the trigger and you know, does commit to OU. I think that it's a lockdown situation. And you know, I don't want to steal any of the kids, any of the kids glory for what he's doing. But there is a you know, for the same amount of for the Jacob Eberhart situation. You know, OU is a very very important thing to his family. And I saw a comment that somebody said, you know, these kids are all divas. Again, I very much want to let you guys know that it is a very hard situation right now to be a sixteen, seventeen, eighteen year old kid and have the entire family basically coming to help you out right, coming to help you out and to the middle, yes, because all of a sudden you have a potential before you play a snap in college football, to offer a wealth that your family has never experienced, and to help out people up and down the family, and there's a lot of pressure. There is a lot of pressure. We saw a situation with that in the transfer portal season earlier this year with one of our guys. And so family is a very very big, big thing to him. His family are big, o you people. You're starting to see a couple of the couple of the crystal balls dropping for him too. So you know that will when we get that. He didn't take a small bag. That's not the case. He's not a diva, that's not the case. But he voiced his opinion, and his opinion was it was going to be helped.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, and we that crystal ball came in. Was that yesterday from the Josh mcchustan dropped one. You also had the Spiegelman Spegelman Uh, he had just dropped an article about the three way battle. And then and then Gross mentioned that Houston was in the mix because they just got did a Houston visit. And he's like, nah, okay, I'm gonna win this one. Ohkame, I got this one. So so that's the case, I'm like, yeah, I think that that's that that out again, I am also in the the the mind framed up. I just wait and see when it happens.
Speaker 2: Because things happen. Yeah, I think things happen, and it ain't. It ain't always the kid's fault. A lot of the time. There's a lot of pressure there. And just remember, I mean, I mean, I'm just gonna rewind when I was seventeen years old. I was not I did not have years old. I was three or four years ago, but I just turned twenty.
Speaker 1: But and although you were a baby.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm gonna end it with something, so don't don't take the mic right after I finished the sentence. But you know, when you're seventeen, like I said, with all these these pressures on you and of what can happen, and it's hard to say like, hey, listen, man, you can really take care of you know, we can take care of mom and pops. We can put you on the right path, we can take care of your grandparents and stuff like that. If you go to Oklahoma and then somebody comes and drop says, oh, hey, if you take that money, we could all submit your you know, your uncle, your aunt. She's been having some issues with her health, and you know, they they're their kids. You know, they got really bright futures and they just don't have the money to do things. A lot of those conversations happen, and it's not malicious, it's not nefarious. It's sometimes it's just real life. And it's hard for these kids at seventeen to go, yeah, but what about when I'm thirty.
Speaker 1: Right, that's always the one. So what happens when I'm thirty years old? And it's like, oh, you know about that? I'm not really talking about that component of but again, that's you know, you're one hundred percent right that they're looking at they're missing the force for the trees. I make that statement for that specific reason because that's really what's happening. A lot of people are missing the force for the trees. You're looking at right in front of you, not looking at the long term. Some players are starting to recognize that others are not. They got pulling up at the light button. New to the channel, subscribe rate review, give us five I expect. I expect by the end of August, you guys will be pleasantly surprised at what Oklahoma's doing and you may actually have some smiles on your face. And if another five star populates, like I'm sensing could happen, if things are tracking properly, you're gonna be like, where did this come from? And i'mber, like I told you, I just I don't want to take away the kids thunder, but I've heard some things anyway.
Speaker 2: There are some things out there. But hey, I just want to say, I did mention that I just turned twenty last week. But James's birthday tomorrow is your birthday and you're doing Lord's work out there sec media day, So guys hit up up in the chat say happy birthday to Jay. I find it funny. My birthday is July seventh, JP over with JP and Trav July eleventh, and then you the fourteenth. So if you got a July birthday, hop in here too and let us know about your birthday. But man, happy birthday and fun story time. And then I want to I want to I want to disagree with everything that you think about life after that. But last year, if you guys were on the watching the show last year at this time, who did I I had? Man? I can Jake, I can't remember Jake's last name. One of the Alabama guys I had him on, You were Jack Marling, Jake Marry, Yeah, you were. You were gone traveling at that point too. So Jay and my wife and my friends all scheme behind my back, scheme to get me out and get my irish on as soon as the show was over, and they wanted it to be a surprise. And if you want to surprise me, it don't It don't take much. I am a very very narrow focused person, but which is funny because I can't stay on track when I'm talking. But you know you can, you can. You can surprise me pretty easily. So Jay tells me that he forgot to renew the podcast uh database, the the streaming service that we used, and that we had to cut the show off at at an hour exactly, and if we did not, it was going to just shut off and it's gonna be a bad experience and it could hurt the podcast, hurt our everything. And so Jake, with fifty nine minutes like twenty six seconds, says, well, I got three things to say about that. It was something to that extent, and I was panicking, panicking, panicking, panicking. I don't think it was the first time that I ever rant it by myself, but I was. I was so stressed out, and I remember at like forty eight seconds, I was like, hey, Jake Man, I love you, Jay actually say, and I kind of brought it up. I didn't know what else to do. I had no lying, no way out of it, no way to polish that turn, and so I was like, you know, thanks for tuning in. Make sure you like subscribe until next week. I'm out, and I had we had a balance. And I still I still think about that, and I get like this stress tingles up my spine because even though I know it wasn't true, it's still it still stressed me out because I did not want to bomb the show while you were out. So kudos to you for hooking me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when the cole hit me up about that, I was like, oh, don't worry, I got something perfect. I know Coop's brain well enough to know a very good way to stress them smoothly out where he's going to get off there in exactly an hour, so just give me a minute. And she's like okay, okay, And then when it went down, she messages She's like, lol, he was freaking out. I was like, I do it.
Speaker 2: I can, man, Man, I I can so bad my flight, my flights. I can say it'll take me twenty minutes to get to the airport, get a couple of minutes to get checked in, and all this stuff. I do all of those things and not stress out a single bit. And you're gonna be an asteroid coming down a tornado in the area. And I'm like, all right, guys, done, you don't run, just you know, just get there. We'll get there. But man, messing up the podcast.
Speaker 1: So and that's the that's the great appreciation I have that you have the love for like that. So Coop, thank you. That's fun. That's good stuff. Yeah, thank you all for the birthday wishes. Yes, tomorrow your boy turns a ripe twenty two years old. So I'm feeling good, feeling spry and excited, even though, like I said, I am busted and exhausted. The board is big. I need to do a full breakdown of all the players available. Me and Coop will probably do that very soon. We're gonna go through and look. Hopefully something good happens to where it makes it even easier to really dive into that. But anyway, Uh, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Get his spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: Spoiler alert if you have not seen the New Superman movie. As you all know, we're both Marvel nerds, we're both DC nerds, we're both comic book nerds. That's the things that we get into. To the point of Coop gets into spats with Gerald mccor on X on a regular basis about the movies, like on a regular basis, And I see your kind of questions in the comments. We'll address those here on in the end real soon. I got a few of these questions I see in here, like Robert, I see yours around juco players. Believe me, they're hunting Juco's. Uh, we're making attempts at some what we are making attempts at Juco's, Like we're looking for another kend Adobe. I'll put it to you that way. Remember kend Adobe was a Juco player, So we are looking at that. But we'll talk about that again in just second. But Coop was in therd, you know, nerding out. He's been nerding out and he's been going off in the social media is for like the last day and some change because he just did not like the movie. So Coop, I'm gonna let you open it up. What was your beef with a James Gunn produced Superman.
Speaker 2: Spoiler alert, I will yes spoiler to everybody, So again, if you have not seen the movie yet, turn off. I'll do my do my best. But I might be doing you a favor by by talking to some of this stuff. So you know, I'm not gonna lie when I hit and I go nerd out to YouTube. I typically I think that the conversations that you know, you and I have off screen does not allow you know, you know, I don't. We don't watch podcasts to get to get content because I mean, most of the stuff that we know they know the same, same type of things, and you know, we're we're not We're not going to be breaking news at any point or anything like that. So I you know, I I do support Gave and Teddy a lot more during the season, just because I want to hear schemes. I want to hear breakdowns from when it comes, you know, stuff like that. But most of the time I watch Marvel stuff, comic book guys. Uh, you know, Cosmic under You know, there's a lot of emergency awesome, nerd alert, yes, nerd alert right, and not even just that, you know, they watched stuff like Stranger Things, et cetera. So you know, obviously, when James Gunn did Guardians of the Galaxy, I absolutely love Guardians and the Galaxy. I thought it was terrific. I think that James Gunn did a lot with Guardians of Galaxy that broke the paradigm around the superhero movies, kind of making a slapstick group of guys, you know people, you know, a freaking badass soundtrack. I mean, I would say that if you pick movie soundtracks, you can go with you know, Forrest Gump is a great movie soundtrack. You know, most of the you know, the Guardians movies had terrific soundtrack. I mean, I just download them and I just play them on fourth of July that I know that everybody is gonna, yeah, everybody's gonna dig these songs. And so but a lot of the reviews going into it were that the the CGI was was tough, not spectacular. That as as more and more content came out around it, you had you had Superman go John Wick and throw a desk in front of a Lex Luthor and scream where's my puppy? And all I could think of was, you know, it's just an effing dog, you know, with from from from you know, multiple people throughout the John Wick series, I will say the good the good is I felt myself that at the end of the movie, I feel like the last fifteen to twenty minutes. Maybe not hate the movie in its entirety, but one of my brothers got up and left right after the President got dropped by hot girl and to go get another beer and just didn't come back. My other brother noted off I felt myself, and I says, I'll disclaim it with this is when I'm watching movie with people, I almost feel like I'm entertaining them, even though that you know, my friends and I I'm part of the cinema club, so you know, it's I stacked those free movie tickets for the big Dogs, you know, or for when I'm gonna go see the kids. So I feel like that. I feel like the movie was so hard, set up so much in such short amount of time that it felt like no character got the appropriate amount of I don't know the appropriate amount of attention that they needed. I thought in Black Adam the Justice Society was pretty weak, and I thought this one was even worse. I think I think mister Terrific might have been one of my favorite characters in the movie. But I felt like I was watching Shaft a little bit like he kind of felt a little Shafty.
Speaker 1: Can you dig it?
Speaker 2: Like? No, I just I would rather have Doug Shaft. But no, I like what David Cordy Sweat did with the character. He owned the character, absolutely dominated the character. I just think he was shitty writing. And Okay, that's that's where all start.
Speaker 1: All right, it's complete opposite. Loved it. I loved it because it felt like a comic book movie. Here's the thing that I feel like a lot of us have compared. And this is kind of, I think one of the bigger issues when it comes to a lot of these movies. Christopher Nolan has created a world that is not real, realistic. Christopher Nolan created the perfect trilogy of a comic book that he knew had an ending that he could kill. This is to open up a whole universe. And this is why I apprehate the way gun with with it is because it reminded me of how he did Guardians Guardians was able to transcend multiple additional movies to keep it going. Plus, this is the one thing that I appreciated most about the Superman movies that it's not an origin story. So, like I said, spoiler, lord say the origin story. He's already been doing this for a while. He's existed for a while, he's been being around for a while. So now we're not dealing with the situation where we've got a dude that we're now learning about him first showing up, going through school, going through small Villa, and all of that stuff. We ain't dealing with all of that. He's he's walking in into action. And that is the thing I appreciate the most about the way Gun did it. Now, granted it wasn't perfect. I give it about a seven and a half or eight out of ten. There's things I would have adjusted in it or whatnot. When you get to the end of the movie, you understand the value of the dog in which I think that's gonna actually lead to something bigger and then everybody's gonna be like, Oh, that's why y'all played it this way, Go digress. It felt like a comic book. It didn't feel like a Christopher Nolan spinoff. That's how I felt about Man of Steel. That's how I felt about BBS right justin it felt like Snyder was trying too hard to be like Nolan while at the same time being like Snyder and full of action. That's where I was feeling like, there's too much of a disconnect, and it was very dry. This felt like it had more personality. But I feel like this film, and this is why I gave it a little bit more of grace. It's because I feel like this movie, this version this Superman is gonna be like how a lot of us probably felt about Batman Begins, because I hated Batman Begins when I first saw it. Then I watched The Dark Night, and then I went back and watch Batman Begins. I was like, Oh, this is actually pretty well done. This is placed very well. I hated Batman Begins when it first came out, but that's what it was. It took me the next one. So he's playing similar to the way Marvel did with his first ten years of building building building back reference. Now you see why this played this way. You're like, oh, the big picture, so it's gonna be a bunch of work. It's gonna be a bit too like, so I don't expect everybody to like it like I did. That's what I saw out of it. Now I'm searching for Easter eggs because I know something else is gonna pop up in the next movie.
Speaker 2: I would say this, there's too many parallels to really really terrible, terrible terrible things, and I'll go in reverse order. Then we can answer questions and wrap it up so that you guys right, don't have to pay taxes on this job.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we got to talk about a dings. It's some questions there.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, so I think, you know, obviously, I like million Acock, who's going to be playing Supergirl. I think that when she comes crashing in at the end and Crypto starts going crazy, it felt like in the movie Boondocks Saints, where Roco's drunk, druggy girlfriend came in and from partying, and I saw that parallel. I think the Pocket universe. I kept on expecting Jack Black to jump up from the Plasma river because it looked Minecraft. Tell me, it didn't look very Minecraft. If you saw the Kingsman Golden Circle where they put all the people infected with the infected drugs into the stadium in little boxes. That kind of that's what I felt like in the Little Pocket Universe. I felt that it also kind of felt like in what was it the second Guardians movie, when oh goodness, gracious, his dad has got the little platform and they're flying on the world. Egos World, Yeah, and Egos World. You know, so he likes the flying platforms. But I will say this, Like I said, I think there was some geopolitical crap in there that I don't know if it really added anything, because you know, there was the there was that stuff making the president kind of look a little bit like a psycho Albert Einstein, uh, you know. And I think that with his with James Gunn's history around that, I feel like he could easily just maybe punted that one and somebody around him would have done it. But here's the one thing that I will I will concede. We had Christopher Reeves, we had a Superman before that. Christopher Reeves taught everybody what Superman was, and then you get stuff with Dean Kine and you know, in Lewis and Clark, you've had so many iterations of Superman, and to do it again that didn't maybe fit one of those past ones. Because Jay, you just said it about the Dark Knight. There were people ready to string up Snyder, like you know after Batman versus Superman and now people want you know, every thing back. Uh. It just did not work out for Cavil to continue. That was a new universe.
Speaker 1: He was the Superman.
Speaker 2: He was he was. Now I will say this, there are now here's where the real nerd stuff happens here, right how Gardner, John John Stewart, Those are other iterations of green Lantern, but the Guy Gardner iteration of that, it's it's spot on. It's absolutely freaking phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Like he is a so disgusting, it is so disgusting. The haircut is the Mark Johnson Mark Davis look is the Mark Davis look. Just the Mark Davis look just gets me redhead, ugly hair. How he needed was like yes, it was, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And you know again, I think I think the panther too. It is you need You don't need forty five year olds to really be the leading charge for this movie. You need people like sixteen to twenty eight because this is an you know, this is a universe. You're gonna have over the next couple dacades and that, and so then you saw in the preview of Kitty doing the selfies and I didn't realize I was Kitty in the preview, but you know, she's doing the selfies, and that kind of leads to the rest of the movie as oh, that's how you know, right, But I loved the accountant to where chicks taking a selfie and they hack into her phone and and and you know, get the girl's picture. So like I I can respect that. I'm taking my kids again here in a couple of days, we're gonna go watch it at least, you know, to all kind of feel different. I did feel like it. It felt like it was like a long form documentary that came from the free form channel. But maybe maybe second time through it'll be better. But no, I I did. I have ripped it, ripped it apart. I can't talk politics on any social media due to my job, but I can definitely blast blast stuff like that.
Speaker 1: No, no fair point, fair point. But and I get your take, Like I said, I don't. I am in the mindset of I'm waiting until the next set of movies and how he brings them all together before I can really lose my mind on it. So that was fun. All Right, We'll take a few questions and then I'm gonna let get him some rest and get it off his system. Jonathan asked an interesting one. Yeah, you need some rest. I need rest, but you need rest too. You had up, You're about going to food coming. How much of this is nagging out alocate enough money for high school recruits and then picking the highest bidder versus recruiting staff not doing a good enough job at attracting talent. I think it's more so a staff agreement that some of these players aren't worth their asking price. But at the same time, like the Eberhart one, I think they were willing to pay. That one was a heartstrings pool. Can't do much about that. That was a family dynamic. That's like it at so can't that literally was last minute. You can't do much about that. But in some of the other ones, I think it was a they agree to something with the player things look good, player comes back, Hey, I want to get more because this school's offering that, and they're probably like, okay, go to that school. Let the school pay you that additional I do think that there's a lot of situations where schools are where players are using us as a measuring stick of getting more money, and sometimes they're taking just a little bit more. But then you start learning that some of these kids, some people will take a little bit extra and they'll realize, yeah, I probably should have just went for the money that I was offered before, because this little extra is not putting me in a better situation. That's my thought.
Speaker 2: And I'll combo my answer with one that Chuck has kind of put in here a dual question. Why do some of the content creators get, you know, get pretty hyped about dudes when it feels like they're coming here. But then listen, there's a lot of stuff that Parker Thune knows. There's a lot of stuff that Josh mccut uh you know over at two four seven that they know, uh, you know, a lot of these guys also get absolutely burned. If you know Josh mcchust, he can tell you the story about Jacob Phillips where he is sending everybody the linebacker wo ended up committed to LSU was in the bag. Another guy and I don't even want to bring up his name. Just for PTS David Hicks.
Speaker 1: We literally just said not to say like for real, like we we GOTTSD.
Speaker 2: We we got the number one defensive line going into this year. So I think that my PTSD has been over for a while, especially when he hasn't done anything. But these guys put their actual physical money. It's not just like excitement so they can go hey Texas fans, screw you, we got him. Like it is. These guys put money into their staff to go do these things based off of hey, listen, this is going to happen. Right, this is going to happen. And I think that a lot of us get really really excited him. I think it is a detraction if somebody's like, yeah, well he's not that that good. You bring up Algira Miles. I still want Aldri Miles here. I absolutely want Algra Miles. Because Algra Miles lists his pancakes, not his touchdown catches, not his receiving yards.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that got Koop's attention. This dude will actually say the pancake.
Speaker 2: He he absolutely one. You know. I think that sometimes it just doesn't make great content to be like you can't go out and bash the kid. That's just not kosher, and anytime that that has happened, where you know, people have made mistakes, and believe me, I know that there is an instance where Parker, you know, showed his frustration and he knows that was a mistake. There's times that those things happen and it's just not good. So the best way to do it, I think a lot of the time is just human nature is just well, we can get somebody else to Gabe Brunlow. Dandy another one. Marvin Jones junior. Marvin Jones junior was Lincoln Riley being here for two or three more weeks from being committed to the Sooners at that point and he came back. Dandy was another one. So there's a lot of times where do you know, guys like those guys ourselves, we hear these things and we know what's about to happen, and you're excited about it, and then something goes south and you want to be able to be like this effing sucks. It's just not great content.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, So thanks a bunch for that, Jonathan. And the question Robert asked about the junior college t you go players, I know that we still have a good relationship with some of the Kansas schools. I mean, we were looking at Josiah Jefferson and I believe that Utah was willing to offer him a lot more in comparison to us, and we were just kind of like, we got like nine tight ends on roster, we have to get rid of somebody. And I think they're actually again, I think they're actually really high on Trenday Washington, the true freshmen that they're just like, I think we'll stick to that one instead of adding another freshman and all the others. You can't just they're gonna start cutting people. Probably they're gonna start pushing people into the portal or forcing some retirements at the end of the season. And I'm being honest, at that point you may actually hear Josiah Jefferson's name populate back up to just keep your eyes open on that. But I do expect them to continue to look for another kend Adobe type, right, another set of juco players that are really good. That could be something. So we haven't abandoned it. It is something we're looking at. Mike, what's going on? So the legends he asked about a d I'm gonna be honest, with you. I don't expect us to hear nothing about ad until next year. So based upon the actual presser or whatnot, he's gonna get his thirty So since Joe's gonna Joe, Ce's gonna get his thirty years, which is in two years, I don't think that, Yeah, yeah, I don't expect them to actually have anybody picked until the twenty seventh season to start the twenty eighth season. That's it.
Speaker 2: And I think that these things can also change a lot in the in the meantime, because I think where you get excited about getting somebody in here, you know, the Sellman name gets thrown around. There's guys in other schools. There's a lot of people that are riding this new wave of everything going on. You kind of need to let the wave continue to roll because there's a lot of changes that will continue to happen. And I promise you this that Joe's he's probably going to have, you know, a role with this university as long as he wants to. But I do think that there is there's a very very real chance that the a D and people who manage the football are not the same people, and and a lot of that is because this is the bread winner. Right. It's if you are you know you work for Jeep Chrysler, Uh, you know, the guys running the you know the the Avenger, uh, you know for Dodge are not the same people in charge of you know, guys making the new Wranglers and new Gladiators and stuff like that. There, it's different entities, different people. You're gonna you're gonna see stuff like that happened where football just is the the above all end all when it comes time for the revenue.
Speaker 1: No, that's unpseate it. And that's that's the thing to get to keep in consideration English. Good question here, Uh some Sooner fans that's trying to sell a and four whoill set us back five years into mediocrity?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm gonna be honest with this schedule. I think that's why people are trying to sell eight and four. But I'm gonna say this, and this is gonna be an extremely controversial statement. I don't think our schedule is gonna be as hard as people think. It looks very hard on paper. I don't think it's gonna be in a lot of those games as competitive as you think. I just I'm just how I feel about it is how I feel about this team going into this year based upon all the rumbles I've heard from people in practices, this feels like twenty three, but with a lot more complimentary football in comparison and multiple leaders. Right, you had Stutsman being, you know, second year in the system, being the dude that led everything him and Billy, and those minutes you lost Stutsman, things kind of got squirrelly because people were still trying to figure things out. We're not in that situation offense. Of course, everybody's learning the system, but it's a lot easier for them in comparison. I know Bill beat and bow has got these boys whipped in the shape on the line. So to me, A and four won't set us back, but we need to go ten in two. We need to go ten and two. It puts you back on schedule. Let's put it that way, because the schedule gets easier going forward.
Speaker 2: And I I would say that there's being and trying to keep my head about myself. Right now. We need to see the season start, we need to see what the other teams look like. But there's not a team on our schedule. That is, I mean head and shoulders better than so Oklahoma team is going to be from the things that we have heard, not only from you know, inside folks, players, parents, things like that, this team is different and it's not hope, it is you know. I think Matier brings so much more to this to this team. I think the offensive line, you're not looking for the for five that can play. You're you're trying to figure out which five is going to be the best, because I think that you've got I think that you run ten deep on the offensive line and ten deep team, ten good, deep good. I think these wide receivers where I don't see a ceede lamb out there. I see a bunch of guys like in the two thousands when you had Mackie Fagan, uh you know, wolf Folk Savage. Like when you had those guys, there was solid. Every every time that you locked down Josh Norman, every time that you locked down one dude, some of the somebody else popped open. And that's what's going to happen this year. Plus, if anybody is confused about Jometier and what he is going to be physically, he's gonna be six one two twenty five. He is going to win a truck and he is not going to have to kill you.
Speaker 1: I don't want him to be that, but he will. He's gonna be running around trying to try to truck folks. But y'all gonna be excited about that. Y'all gonna like the fact that he's gonna be willing to run and be physical all the time. Now, the other thing to go with that too is coop and I love that you point that out. I want to make sure I clarify this too with all the peoples. My people want you to hear me on this. You know, we're going along a little bit. The numbers are rolling up, so I obviously y'all appreciate us interjecting with the little break on supermand now back into football talk. So thank y'all for pulling up hitting the light button. New to the channel, Subscribe rate review, give us five. Geometeer is not gonna be required to do everything. Jeo Matier will have moments where he's going to try to do everything. But this is not the year that I'm going to fully judge Jo Matier overall in his his tenure at Oklahoma, because if he does go out there and balls out at a ridiculous rate to where we're talking potential Heisman conversation, listening to the hypotheticals. Lose your mind yet, But if we're at that point where you have that conversation, then again, of course you're gonna judge it and he's gonna be bounced out. You can be like, dude, he produced some absurdity here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: See him going. Even though I'm betting on him to win the Heisman, I don't see him winning the Heisman. I don't mind putting a little dollars on it just to say it, mainly because I think that they're going to make sure that the defense does. The defense is gonna put him in so many good positions that he may not be able to do much do as much as you would like. Just put it that way. The yards may not come as many as often or whatnot, because the defense is getting stops or interceptions to turn because they're gonna be costing a ton of turnovers. The one thing that every school we play against this season is gonna do is test our secondary. And if Gentry and Eli comes back healthy, with kendlede Be coming back healthy and these young boys get out there them safe. That safety room does what we expect them to do with Robert Spiars, Jennings, Peyton Bowen and then Boganowski Hardy as well as Powers. But I'm talking and then you're throwing Kenda Daniel, who's gonna mix in it too. People are gonna test our secondary more than they're going to test the run because they're gonna be afraid to run against us. And if the secondary goes out there and breaks up pass it on a regular basis, or and or light tips passes and gets picks and stuff, guess what y'all gonna be like, Oh, dang, our offense is not playing on very large yards. It's gonna be half the field all the time on a regular basis. It's gonna be a dang well geometur finished game. One hundred fifty yards passing in this game and sixty five yards rushing. It's a great It's a really good game. If you think of the fact that the starting starting yardage was forty yards. I think that this team has the capability to do that because they did it last year and didn't have an offense. I think the defense is gonna look better this year because the offense is gonna do enough to keep them off the field when they get the ball to them, you're gonna hand the battle of Jay and Odd, Xavier Robertson, Taylor Tatum, Javonte Barnes, and then Materier's gonna throw and run. It's gonna be such a mix that you're gonna be like, Oh, this team is not as dependent as we were used to like that twenty twenty three team was dependent on Dylan Gabriel. It was the DG's show, and I understand a lot of y'all just wouldn't as fun now. Granted, if we had him last season, we probably win eight games. Dylan DG gets you two more wins because he's gonna actually throw the ball and move the ball. Even with young receivers, he's gonna find ways to get them the ball, or he's gonna tuck and run. Right, He's gonna make decisions something that's the toughest part. Materi's gonna be similar. The question is how effective will he be. He's gonna be good enough. It's how effective will he be in putting up actual numbers. I don't know that yet. I don't know, because I don't know how the what type of positions defense is going to put him into where he takes his time. Do this if you're a gamer, if you decide to pick up college football twenty six, go play with Oklahoma. Everyone I've talked to, let's play with Oklahoma said this is the this is probably the most fun team on the game. And there's a reason why.
Speaker 2: And I'll and I'll also say this too. The reason why Kyler and Baker won Heisman's because their defense was ass and they had to do it all They had long fields all the time. The defense was judged on can we just keep him to a field goal attempt? Can we you know? Anytime you guys, I mean a lot of us don't remember you got you got the ball up on the goal line. You knew it was a touchdown. We knew it was going to be a touchdown. And so that's the one thing I will say this is get your get your arguments for Twitter ready, because I have a feeling that late November there's gonna be a lot of people complaining why jo Matier should be higher up than the Heisman ratings. But I don't think that, I j I'm with you. I don't think the stats are going to be there. There's gonna be a lot of people saying, oh, well, look he only went you know, fifteen for twenty one for one hundred and eighty five yards and three touchdowns. Well, most of the most likely he probably also had a rushing touchdown. We probably had two other rushing touchdowns in a defensive touchdown. Like it's going to be those types of games. Now, we could be wrong and it could be him with a lot of low key yardage and you know in the forties on touchdowns. I promise you this. So if joh Matier has thirty eight plus touchdowns, he'll be in New York yep.
Speaker 1: And there's a possibility. Now, granted, if somebody does some absurd numbers in the big team or even in the SEC, if like Garrett Nusmyerlin north Seles throw ups some just dumb numbers, or somebody doesn't in a big twelve, you may unfortunately not make that trip. But there's a possibility he'll be in set those conversations because you know, all all he needs to do is manage the team properly. He's gonna take risks. Please believe he's gonna have turnovers. Like if there's anything I've said I've personally calculated. I'm gonna give y'all my final predictions as soon as a fall camp starts here in August, but i'm gonna tell y'all right now a little preview on that. I expect him to have at least twelve interceptions this season. And I say twelve because I think he's going to toss it into some tight spots and some of those moments he's gonna win, and other moments he's gonna lose. I'm not gonna lose my mind on it because he's gonna take risk like our other I mean Hawkins as well as I mean Hawkins had his game in South Carolina and that was a lot of him getting hit. But besides that, he wasn't really throwing the ball into like trouble. He was making sure they were borderline wide, wide open. But that's what happens with true freshman. There's nothing against him. It's more of a true freshman thing. You wanna make sure it's perfect before you do it. Nah, Materia ain't go side arm and fling it and you're gonna be like, no, Yes, you're gonna do that a lot. Just just brace yourself for that conversation that that's what's gonna happen. But from there, the next question comes in, which I think is perfect for this to go into it, and this from English as well, asking a question about what was the expectation would be V the first year. I'm gonna be honest, I thought the roster could win eight games. Now when I found out his portal strategy taper my expectations down to six. I thought six and six. And I say that because instead of cleaning up clearing house basically all the players, we probably should have cleared house with cleared house before the twenty four season. For last season, that's when you start to see a lot of those bodies shifting and you're like, eh, that's when you probably should have been bringing in dues to groom up to prepare for twenty four. And I don't see yah. I've heard me say this. I've been vocal about this part when I've taught to BV. And I'm actually, you know what, I'm gonna actually ask him this question at media days. I'm gonna notate this now to remind myself of asking this question how does he feel about the way they did things when he first got here in twenty two? Does he feel like that prepared him enough for the SEC And I say that because I don't think it did. I think the problem was is that he was giving too much grace in an industry that's too cutthroat for you to do that. Like I said, is that a bad thing? Because that's actually a very noble thing for him to to say, because he said it, I'm not gonna be like coach prom I'm not gonna send everybody out and bring in fifty more people than you know. Blah blah blah blah. I get it. But Coop, that was the thing that got me is that, Yeah, man, you probably should have did that. Yep. Probably should be cleaned downs on defensive side of the ball and winged it from there. But he didn't. He gave grace, He let people try to figure it out. It didn't work out, then you start to see shifts. That's why I felt like the first year was probably not gonna be that great. The good thing is is that it proved me right, because the second year was a hell of a lot better.
Speaker 2: And I think, you know, again, going into twenty three, we saw no real clear path. Gee freakeyat was the most exciting thing that we were hearing in the in the offseason, right. Jalil Farouk was really the only guy that we, you know, had hope around Andrea Anthony, you're banking on his eight catches at Michigan and that team. That team showed out because they were I mean, they were talented. And so I will just say this is I think that Brent fennibles this year. He has taken over the defense because he wants that to go. He wants to at least have that part just done. He has given the ability. You know, I think that the zach Ally departure, I think with time things will come out on that one. But I think that forced him just to kind of take over and be in charge of that stuff. I think that, you know, he has handed the offense over to our buckle. And you know, some of the some of the conversations that we've heard here since since the departure of Latrelle, and now that people are a little bit more willing to have that conversation, it sounds like everything that we saw with our eyes was exactly true. That it was a mess. It was a mess. It wasn't just a mess between him and EJ. It wasn't just a mess with him and him and DeMarco. It was it was every single coach. There was no uniformity, there was no agreement. And yeah, I will say this, you have a very very good opportunity at this point going forward for this team to come in. You know this is so this is kind of my wrap up for the w n L. Man I I'm sticking with my ten and two pick right now. I really you have an easier schedule versus what you had last year. It's going to be easier because I think Tennessee drops back or miss drops back. South Carolina is South Carolina, and I think that there's just going to be a tough out no matter what happens. Texas is starting a bunch of brand new a bunch of a bunch of bunch of newness there. So the schedule is easier. But now you have a pulse quarterback and so Jeo Matier knows how to make plays. He's like you said, Jay, He's not gonna be asked to do everything. But if you gave the defense an offensive, you know, hope that defense would have been you know, ten even ten times better than you know even what and and this this listen, you can say whatever you want. You know, I see a guy in here. I don't know if if it's drugs or if you're just strolling. But the players are speaking differently about Jo Matier than they were last year. You know, it was don't hurt Jackson's feelings, ensure point on like the potential. It's different with Matier. It's it's they They now know that there's bullets in the in the chamber and it's ready. It's time to go.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly. So we'll get to that point. It's a good time. Love it. Thank y'all for of course pulling up here the light button to the channel, subscribe rate review, give us five. We'll have I'll talk a lot, We'll have some content around SEC media days while I'm here. We will also, yeah, we'll be back, you know. With with that, we'll be live next week. We'll get back to the twice a week. Come see closer to the season, probably the week before as we preview the actually the week of we'll preview the Illinois State game, which is gonna be a really weird game. To preview, but you know, we'll preview it, we'll talk about who they got, get y'all prepared for it, and we'll we'll we'll we'll do some more deep diving stuff. Get me and Coop a lot of practice around that stuff. So we'll appreciate y'all joining us. Yeah, but uh yeah, we'll chop it up there too. You have a good evening. Peace out.