Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 3: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 4: Yes? You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 6: I never win?
Speaker 4: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 7: You can get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 4: Play for free right now.
Speaker 8: Are you feeling lucky? Nope, we're not necessary void. We're gonna bet my long eighteen plus terms and conditions of plus you's every details.
Speaker 2: Wait the Lucky Land Slots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 2: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by law eighteen plus terms and conditions apply. See website for dass love with the Lucky Land slots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 2: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 3: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 4: Yes? You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: I never win?
Speaker 4: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 7: You can get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 8: Play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky? Noisy?
Speaker 9: You are now listening to true Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them.
Speaker 10: Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK.
Speaker 9: Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupanski. Mary Thompson was your average mother in early nineteen nineties Eugene, Oregon. She was a community organizer and upstanding citizen by day. By night, she was Gangmum, living the ultimate double life. Thompson ran a gang of teenagers, including her own son, who terrorized the unsuspecting city with drugs and violence. When a fellow gang member named Aaron Atura was suspected of snitching on Thoms's son, Bo, she mercilessly put a hit on him. Fred Rosen's Gangmum gives an inside look into the true story of a mother who would do anything, even murder, to protect her son and keep her gang empire alive. The book they were featuring this evening is Gangmum, The Evil Mother whose gang secretly prayed on a city. With my special guest, journalist and author Fred Rosen, Welcome back to the program and thank you very much once again for appearing on this program. Fred Rosen, Well, Dan the man Zupansky, It is always my pleasure to be with you, sir Well, I would say respectfully that it's always my pleasure. And Againaradi and a lot of Sometimes Fred Rosen has been on very many times. You've often been controversial, So not with high controversy.
Speaker 6: I won't disappoint Dan.
Speaker 10: Now this yeah, absolutely? Uh Now with this gang, mom, let's let's start with the Open Road tell us a little bit about this reissue.
Speaker 6: And before we.
Speaker 10: Start anything, let's tell us take us back to how you came to be involved with this project. And but first tell us about this reissue. This from this Open Road publication.
Speaker 6: Sure. Open Road Media is the largest publisher of the books in I guess in North America. Uh, And they are publishing a lot of my true crime books that I did previously for other publishers that quite frankly went to out of print. And so this is one of those books. And what they do, which is really cool, is they repub them. But the e books sell for like, I don't know, four ninety nine, five thirty nine, something like that, so they're really I think affordable, and then if a person wants a hard copy, they can buy a trade paperback which sells for twelve ninety nine. And it gives me an opportunity to to take a look at, you know, what I've done in the past, and at the same time to update, and it gives me perspective on stuff going forward. And so these guys are just tremendous to work with. And as I said, they are the largest publisher of e books in North America, and they publish a lot of extremely well known authors like one of my you know, like Charles Dickens, you know, and stuff like that, you know, classic stuff and then contemporary stuff like one of my favorite novelists, William Goldman, who wrote the screenplay for Brocassidy and The Sundance Kidne is a tremendous novelist. And also of course true crime. They're one of the few houses that really will publish true crime, which since the recession DAN there are very few that will. So it becomes very difficult when you're a fan to find stuff to read, and they're right out there doing it. And so it's you know, I don't usually extole the virtues of a publisher but these guys have been absolutely terrific. Yeah.
Speaker 10: I gotta agree with you too, and I see the entire repackaging of them and also their recognition of it's not just numbers, it's a quantity. It's a matter of recognizing which of those true crime books really did really well back in the day, and it's deservedly need to be re released. It's just again, like you say, the recession really seemed to do damage. It wasn't the biggest genre per se, but it was thriving, but you wouldn't known it now. So these people that understand true crime a lot more in fact understand it and recognize good true crime. These people are reissuing this stuff for the true crime reader. So it's good work they.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they can't you know again, I mean you know they care. I mean it's a weird one because I have never dealt with a house weird people really care as much as these individuals do. At least, you know, not to say that other houses don't care. But these guys have made a commitment to this genre. I'm not the only only a person who writes true crime there. You know, there are others obviously that that work for them and they're open, you know, I mean, they're open to this stuff, hn't you know? But seriously, it they're they're they're they're they're really good about it. And uh. And I've learned a lot about about the marketing and I've learned more about marketing and promotion of books period in the year and a half i've worked with them than thirty years working with other houses. Because they're open, they work with the author, and they're very friendly with the author, and they're smart. I don't know what else to say. And Jane Friedman, who used to be the CEO of of HarperCollins, is their CEO, so she's got a big background in this, in this you know, publishing and uh. And also the other thing that I really enjoy is they employ people from all over you know, I don't have to tell you. I mean, like, I'm not interested in talking to somebody who just from New York. Daw, I'm from New York. You know, I want to talk to somebody who's from thunder Bay, you know what I mean. I mean, you know that's when you begin to learn.
Speaker 10: Starf Well, I questioned that, but so let's get back to let's get back to how you came at this time to want to pick this. I mean, you picked the most fantastic stories for your books, But tell us how you came to be interested in this, how you came to write this book? Gang Mom.
Speaker 6: Well, what happened was it was in the late nineteen nineties and I saw the story in a newspaper and I thought, wow, this is pretty interesting. And I at that time, I was writing for the Reader's Digest, and I proposed it as a as a true crime story, and they went, oh, that's cool, why don't you do it. Well, the next thing you know, I'm on a plane to use me to Eugenie to do this, to do this book. And I'd never been to Oregon, so it was like that was interesting to me because I just have this thing dan where I want to get to all fifty states. So this was another one I could not boss. And I went there and I got you know, I got really lucky because I set up the interviews in advance and I got very friendly with Jim Chad, who is the detective on the case, and we just hit it off and he was kind enough to open up literally his life to me. I mean, you know, we had dinner together. He took me to his house. He was just, you know, he just showed so much hospitality that I'm which I certainly wasn't used to come from New York and I'm being honest, and and so he opened up to me. And I wrote this book. I mean, I wrote this article and then I just said, you know, this could be an interesting book, and I basically spun it off and I decided to do it as a book, and luckily it was bought by a publisher and I was able to do it. And that gave me the space to really develop all of the the the the themes and the characters in the book. And it, you know, it's what got me. What got me was the fact that I'd never heard of of of uh except for West Side Story, which is mentioned in the book. I wasn't familiar with gangs of Caucasian middle class kids, you know, I just you know, I didn't. I didn't get it. And and that's the thing that got me about the book was that the I five Carter, the the the the UH. You've got people going up and down that card on that coast, just like you have people on this coast coming up and down, uh what do you call it, you know, the interstate over here, And so that allowed for the influence of gangs, specifically from Los Angeles to come up there more in the sense almost the publicity. And then of course when Mary Thompson got involved, that was you know, she was able to sort of take from here and there and put all this stuff together and and she winds up as this, as this anti gang activist. And had it not been for this detective Jim Mchad, she would have gotten away with it. She would have gotten away with murder.
Speaker 10: Let's go back, Fred to a very dramatic scene in Cleveland, Ohio, in nineteen seventy six. Mary Thompson, but formerly Mary Fockler, is at a biker party. Now, let's talk about that scene. But also it really is indicative and tells a much bigger story. So tell that story about Mary Fokler. She's a pretty wild girl. She's willingly at a biker party with her dog and at a clubhouse, takes away friend.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Sure, she's at a biker party. And Mary had a thing where she wanted to be very popular, and she wanted to be on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson who is doing it in those days, of course, and she wound up having sex with a number of these bikers. But then she turned around and said that she had been essentially gang raped by them. And what happens is the authorities then bring charges against these individuals and it isn't until the trial that it becomes clear that she's actually doing this stuff willingly and she wants the attention. And what gets so interesting is that her sister, Judy, testifies against her a trial and she says, my sister just wants to be She wants to be on the Johnny Carson Show, which is what people used to call it back in the day, though it was the Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson, just like it's the Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon, etc. Etc. Point being Mary was just into the attention, and that is indicative of her personality of what she wanted out of life, you know. And I guess there are certain people who want to get fame in any way, shape or form, and they don't care who they're going to step over or whatever. And I don't want people to misunderstand what I'm saying here, which is this, of course, women are abused by men, and there have been many instances of gang rape and where the men are not prosecuted or not convicted. This is one tenth of one percent of where somebody of a woman making it up and she did it for her own reasons, but it doesn't come together dan until much much later when she winds up out in the Pacific Northwest, and then everybody start the cops start putting it together and they realize what kind of an individual they're dealing with.
Speaker 10: Yes, you include this to show the character of Mary Fowkler and also the show that with this, it's an amazing story. She's having sex with all these bikers and her dog gets in a fight with one of the biker dogs in the clubhouse, so she tries to break up the fight of the dogs and then ends up half naked outside and then when she is cops do come and he says, oh, well, I was raped, So thirty two guys question five or id'd she's got to leave town, So she leaves town. Of course, he's got to reinvent herself if she knows what she's gonna say about herself, right, But there is quite a report based on this allegation, and like you say that they lose the case. So there's a good report that later Jim Mashad lead reads and is again very indicative of the character of the woman. So Jim Mashad read that with great interest, much much later. So now, like you say, she's ruading up to Eugene, Oregon and reinvented herself. Tell us how she becomes this anti gang activist and tell us about her son Bo.
Speaker 6: Well, what happens is she winds up in another town in Oregon at first, and she winds up in this other town where she becomes a snitch, a police informer, though she lifts on her resume that she's a police investigator, and she wind and then she winds up going from that town and she's she's going through different guys, you know, And now she's she's got a different guy, and she moves to Eugene and she has her son Bo and she then what happens is Bo winds up getting interested in gangs and Mary at this point Hern is now Mary Thompson. She winds up as somebody who starts educating herself on gangs, and she then promotes herself to the media as an anti gang activist, and the local newspapers begin to call her gang Mom because she becomes like a mom to these individuals, the kids that are and we're talking about white, lower middle class, middle class kids, boys and girls who aspire to the gang lifestyle. And she winds up doing various interviews and so forth with the media and as a result, it mushrooms. And the next thing you know, she gets in tight with a couple of dudes at the Eugene Police Department and she's giving like anti gangs nars in schools and so forth. And while this is happening, her son is going in and out of trouble. But at the same time, she is forming very strong I would say, very strong roots within the community, so that nobody would suspect that, you know, she's a bad guy or bad girl. Nobody would suspect that. But she makes a couple of mistakes along the way that come back and haunt her.
Speaker 10: How does she have a husband that's oblivious? I mean he's much older, but how can he be that oblivious? Does she work around his schedule? How does that work?
Speaker 6: Well? The way that it works is that the husband this was a situation where there were there were different men involved, and she at that point early on as the an anti gang activist, what she is showing to the world is her her her credential as somebody who's against this sort of thing, and she just pulls the wool over her husband's eyes and eventually she splits up with the dude. So it isn't like he's there all the time, you know what I mean. It's not like one of those It's not like, you know, like Beacon of Death, where you know, this guy's a serial killer and his wife is unaware of it, but it's you know, because she's sleeping with him all the time. It's that's not the case because when she winds up becoming really popular and when she is actually doing some other things that we'll get to by that time, she's not involved with with any man in particular. So it isn't like there was a major tip off her something like that. Plus an important aspect here is that she is a con woman of the first order. She's the best eye he has ever seen, best I've ever seen. And at the same time she has a very very close relationship with her son. But she doesn't provide the kind of role model that you know that we hope parents would. It's the other way around. She's not teaching this kid proper values. It's it's it's just completely the opposite, and this will eventually lead to a lot of grief for a lot of people.
Speaker 10: Now you talk about Mary being a consummate con woman, and there's evidence of that. She talks about again reinvents herself. So she comes up with this background about how she was involved in the Crips, which is a black gang, and you explain that the seventy four Hoover Crips she forms. So tell us about the entire story of the background that she's created it that she gives to these unsuspecting kids.
Speaker 6: Okay, what happens is she claims that she has some background with this famous gang from Los Angeles. And you know, it's funny. As I was reading this again, I was reminded that I used to live right near Hoover in Los Angeles when I went to USC's film school, and it's a very famous gang. And she claims that she had a part in the gang and that she knows a lot about the gang. And what she's doing is she's conning these kids, teenagers into believing that she is involved with this African American gang. Duh, you know, I mean, you know, if you base these are these are these are kids, you could have sold them the Brooklyn Bridge for five bucks. They were pretty damned. But also they were very ignorant and and they you know, they were very sheltered in many ways and is and but but every kid wants to belong, every kid wants to be a part of something, especially when they've had problems. So she was smart enough to prey on kids who've had problems and who she could manipulate to do her will. And she not only does that with kids that aren't related to her, she does it with both Flynn, who's who's her son? And so she can this is then that's and and what she basically does is she's a very good study band. She studies gang culture. She knows all about gang colors, the gang initiation and so forth and so on, and so she implements this this system of acceptance in this community. And she's doing this while she you know, at night, while by day. And I don't think we're giving anything away here because it says it on the cover. Uh, she's she's she's acting as a gang activist. So you've got that, You've got two things going on. You've got the con woman who is telling the public and the cops that she's an anti gangy activist, as well as on idea the parents, parents of these kids into she you know, into her confidence game. And then at night she's got these kids that are showing up at her house and you know, they think, like she's she's she's it, man, you know, she's you know, she's like, you know, I guess I just remembered back in the thirties, there was a woman who ran a gang. Her name was mob Barker, and she was a very famous outlaw. And that's exactly how I would describe Mary Thompson. She's an outlaw. She's really an outlook.
Speaker 11: Hello, it is Ryan And I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus, that's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba.
Speaker 8: Lane necessary Daly rivod where he every I lost the terms of conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 6: But she's a throw back to that kind of a personality, and she also doesn't have any sort of conscience about what she's doing. Now, you know, we can argue about whether she's a sociopath or not, but the most important aspect here is it worked. I mean, she had herself a gang doing what she wanted and praying on people in Eugene, which is a cop which is a liberal college town, and it's like the last place you would expect stuff like this to happen. But she made the mistake of being within within Jim Mashad's turf, the detective, and again without Mashad, I don't think we're having this conversation quite frankly, because he's the one who finally breaks it open. And in true crime, as you know, you gotta have you got to have somebody who is the effective per se who does break it open and somebody, you know, and that's the individual that we as the reader, we follow them, our emotions go towards them. And Jim was happened to be the guy, and you know, and and not you know, but but anyway, so she was really able to manipulate these kids. And again, I think that if this was a situation where these were individuals were in the twenties, for example, I don't think wreck Again, I don't think that we're having this conversation. It's the fact that they were vulnerable. And these kids, many of them were kids who had problems. You know, they came from homes with problems, and you know, as you go, you know, as you get a little bit more experience, you find that there's a lot of these people out there. You know. It sort of reminds me as we're talking. I mean, Dickens mind this area quite well. And uh and and I'll you know, in the play and the book it's based on. You know, it's funny. I hadn't even thought about that until just now. But she's basically Fagan, That's what she is. She's Fagan.
Speaker 10: Now, let's talk about Aaron Atura and his mother. I don't know how to pronounce her name? Is it Jane c Jenzy?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 10: Correct me on that one?
Speaker 6: So okay, Jane's Jane. I had the same problem, don't you know when people start spelling their names a little differently, I go a little nutty. And when I interviewed Janie, I said, can you tell me how the same thing? Dan? I said, can you tell me how what's pronounced? And she was very Jensie to her. As I was reading rereading the book tonight to to prep for what we were going to talk about, I said, you know, I got to call her because we had a really good relationship and I really care about her. And what happened here was that Aaron i Toura was part Native American and one of the tribes from the Pacific Northwest, and he was a good kid, and Aaron had gotten into a little bit of trouble, but nothing major. And what happened was Mary Thompson approached Janice Iitura about getting Aaron involved in her anti gang activities, and Aaron was against this stuff. He was not he didn't like gang and he was a kid with a lot in front of him and he was a very good looking boy. He was six feet four about two twenty, terrific athletes, smart kid. I mean, his kid was gonna he was going to set the world on fire. He was going to do real well. And what happened was he got involved with the anti gang activities, not knowing of course, that he had literally gone into the spider's web. With apologies to Peter Parker and you got that one, right, yeah, okay, okay, And anyway, and what happens is, at one point, Mary gets the bright idea that actually it's not bright and brilliant using Aaron as Bo's protector because Bo keeps getting in trouble. So the idea is to use Aaron as his essentially his bodyguard. It's almost like the old film My Bodyguard. Uh. And what happens is he winds up going well, Aaron goes to a local the place with Bo in Eugenie. So whenever Bo is you going to get in trouble, Aaron's there to help him avoid it. But what what what? What Aaron doesn't realize is that what Mary really has him doing is making sure that her son doesn't get involved in anything by day because he can't control himself by night it's a whole different story. By that time, Bo's doing, you know, his thing with with with with the gang that Mary has put together in Eugene. And at the meanwhile, Aaron is home with his with his with his mother and his family and his girlfriend and so so that's how he gets But he's never part of the gang by any means. He doesn't even know about the gang. He just he's just a kid who who who thinks he's helping out individuals in the community because he has a social conscience and being a Native American, he he understands how tough it can be for individuals. He really understands how tough it can be for individuals who have a couple of strikes against them. And so he just stays with Mary, and he trusts Mary implicitly as well as Janice the mother. The mother really trusts trusts May. Janice trusts Mary implicitly, and so again it sort of proves the point about how these individuals, these bad guys and bad girls, and they're confidence people literally and figuratively.
Speaker 10: Now you mentioned that Janice felt that Mary was a friend and had no idea of her real intentions and her gang activity, and like you say, they put basically err in this big guy basically that's thinking that Bo's his friend and marries his friend, and that he should watch out from them. So what happens one day in broad daylight with Aaron, despite trying to, you know, protect him and make sure he doesn't get in trouble, what happens, Well.
Speaker 6: What happens is there is an altercation at a convenience store and uh boy, oh boy. And what happens is there's an altercation between between Bo, the son of Mary, and another boy and there's like an argument, and what happens is suddenly Bo pulls a knife and he slashes at this other boy and luckily he only quote unquote cuts him a little bit, not you know, he slashes out at him, cuts through the kid's clothing, slashes his h on his belly, but it's not too bad. And at that point, the cops are called, and you know, somebody calls nine to one to one, and the next thing you know, Bo is arrested and he'd already been on probation for something else, but now he's arrested for assault. And that puts Aaron right in the middle because Mary doesn't want him testifying against her son because she knows that if Aaron testifies, her son's going to go back into the juvenile lock up. Aaron is torn. He doesn't Bo's a friend of his. Mary is a friend of his, His mother is friends with Mary. What is he going to do? And at the same time, the pops are looking at Aaron as well being involved in this situation. So Aaron has to make a decision about what he's going to do and that going to lead to tragedy.
Speaker 10: Now, what's the conversation like with his mother Janice? And to see the the person, the real despicable person that Mary is compared to Janice, it's night and day. So what's the kind of conversation Janie has about this issue.
Speaker 6: Well, the conversation that Janice has with her with her son is is you know what you know, You've done everything to try and help both Lynn and if if you don't do the right thing, which is to tell the truth, you're going to be held responsible or partly responsible, and you're not and you're not. You're not doing anything wrong. What you're doing is you're saying that there's an individual out there on the street who almost kills somebody and you so so really, she's basically saying, or a son, Well, Aaron, if you protect bo, what happens next? What happens if if he goes out and tries to kill somebody? How are you going to feel? She's trying to teach her son values. And and Aaron really listened to his mom about it, and he was told he was still torn. He didn't know who likes the idea of testifying against a friend or somebody you think is a friend. See that's the operative word, think is a friend. At this point, Janice doesn't understand that Mary isn't and neither of course does Aaron. And so it's really a question of it's not just a question of Aaron's self survival. It's more it's a question of what happens next. It's a question of of of of I don't know if the Golden rule applies here, Dan, but it's certainly a question of are we are we going to allow somebody? Are you going to allow somebody Aaron to get to go free who tried to kill another human being? Or are you going to do the right thing? And it's a it's a question that I mean, I've had to answer that question in my work, and it's a hard question and it's just but it's especially hard for a teenager certainly. But Aaron I Turr was a very mature young man and so he made the right decision for himself. But again he didn't know what he was dealing with.
Speaker 10: Interestingly, you have a term of some learned a little bit about gang terminology and kind of ritual in that the mixing and jumping in, and so the Afro American h crips they would say, if you're jumped in, they give you a bunch, everybody gives you a beating, and then you're officially and mixing in is basically as you described from an expert, there appeared in this story that that would be somebody taking the rap for someone else. So now with Aaron Nutura not taking the wrap for bow and basically you say, it comes down to in the end too, he said, listen, I'm not Bo's a scumbag, and I ain't going to jail for the scumbag.
Speaker 6: So well, so I think that was me saying that person and I didn't okay, that's okay, No, No, I think I said scumbucket. I was using a term that I remembered from Hillstreet Blues. I'm sorry.
Speaker 10: But now, well, now Mary has all of these young people, these teens around her home. Again, we know that this there really actually is this gang. And so they're they're in together doing some things, some burglaries, some crimes, definitely in the name of this four Hoover crips. Now there's some mutual friends of Aaron. I guess they go to school. It's a smaller place. So there's Lisa Fentris, there's Larry Martin, There's Wade Hudson. There is Angel Elstad and Jim Elstead and Crazy Joe Brown. So tell us about this little group of teenagers that hang around and what is the talk when Mary Thompson realizes that it looks like Aaron Atura, despite being friends with everybody, is going to spill the beans and testify and bo will go back to prison. What is she actually saying to these people? What's the tone of the conversation.
Speaker 6: The tone of the conversation is very simple. It's actually it's funny because as I was thinking about it today, one of the individuals is called Crazy Joe Brown, and I I was thinking to myself, did he dead. And of course I remember Crazy Joe Gallo, the famous Bobster, and that's where he gets this nickname. So that just gives you a little bit of an idea of the kind of an individual we're talking about. And what Mary does is she tells these people, these kids, that that if Aaron is not taken care of, then he's going to testify against both and both's going to go back to jail. Now this gets back to this woman's charismatic personality, how she can manipulate them to do murder. I mean, you know, I mean, you know, I'm sitting here and I'm I'm like, I'm shaking my head because the only way that you can do that with anybody is if the individuals involved have not been taught the right way at home. That's my personal opinion, and they feel in some way, and you know, sure there's environmental influences and so somebody, you know, you want to be part of something bigger than yourself. For most of us, that means our country. For these kids, it means their gang. Their gang was their country. And I can I tell you one thing, Dan, as you know, I realized Larry Martin, Well, we talk about crazy Crazy Joe, and there's Jim El'stad and Lisa Fentest and Larry Martin is assumonym. And you know, when you're writing, I know how it is when you do it. But you know, I'm writing books and I'm going to use a pseudonym because I want to keep somebody, you know, keep their anonymity if they if they haven't you know, certainly if they haven't been charged and not around the periphery. And I really I just remembered, you know, you know why I used Larry Martin. Why, oh boy, when I uh, there was a uh maybe some people remember a serial called that was on television. H Commando Cody, Commando Cody Sky Marshall of the Universe. Well when they did the second serial, they changed his name from Commando Cody to Larry Martin. So I just said, oh man, I'll use Larry Martin, you know, I because I can't, Hey, Dan, I can't use superhero names anymore because they're making movies out of them. You know, I can't. What am I goay do to say Tony Stark. That's not gonna work. But seriously, so I'll just get back to this and you know which is that she Mary Thompson uses her force of personality to convince these kids to go out and to commit murder. And she says, hey, if you don't take care of this, both's going to jail. And she makes it clear that she wants this kid dead, she wants Aaron dead, and that they will be in in in her highest esteem, in her highest esteem. And again it goes back, you know, and that's it. I think that's a good point in that we're dealing with individuals will obviously don't have a lot of self esteem. He Aaron did. Aaron had a lot of self esteem. I mean he he was you know, I have no doubt as I've been looking through this again, he really would have been a leader of his people, maybe even a leader of this country. But unfortunately he got con just like everybody else. So Mary conn's these individuals into committee a murder.
Speaker 10: Let's use this as a break right now. Just going to pause to talk about quickly about our sponsor, Luke Crate. Luke Crate you get collectibles, apparel, and more from your favorite pop culture franchises delivered right to your door every single month. We're talking a new T shirt and every Crate figures comics stuff for your kitchen, a wide range of exclusive items you can't get anywhere else from fan favorite franchises like Harry Potter, Marvel Comics, Fallout, Four Star Wars, and so much more. And you can get this all less for less than twenty bucks a month. Lu Crate. Come geek out with us. Luke Crate is a monthly subscription box service for epic, geek and gamer items and pop culture gear, and for less than twenty a month, you get six to eight items that include license gear, apparel, collectibles, and unique one of a kind items and more. Now you have until the nineteenth of July at nine Pacific to subscribe and receive July's monthly Crate, and when that cutoff happens, the monthly crate is over. Now make sure it's a head to www dot lutcrate dot com, slash true murder and met you code true Murder to say three dollars additionally off any new subscription. Join us as we celebrate the futuristic. We've packed July's Crate with items from some of pop culture's favorite prognostications of science in the future. Look towards tomorrow with items from Rick and Morty, Futurama, Star Trek, Mega Man, Valiant Comics, and Star Trek, including a model, a figure and don't forget our monthly te T shirt and pin. So that's www. Dot lutcrate dot com, slash True Murder and etra code True Murder to say three bucks off any new monthly subscription. When we last left off, we were talking about the character of Mary Thompson, but also, you know, just to throw in all the the sort of the gang mentality. She also said, well, just for the heck of it, I think maybe he poisoned my dog Lars, and I think maybe he's having sex with kids. So she just tried to throw everything in that she possibly could to convince these people. And she had I guess, somebody that she was interested in, and they didn't seem to come through. So she finally found somebody else. And so tell us what happens? What is Aaron doing? What are is everybody else doing? How who knows what? And so set that scene for us.
Speaker 6: Fred, Well, oh boy, I'm still thinking about Luke Crate. You know, I'm actually you know, I was, you know what, I kind of I'll to say this very quickly, which is you know, if you get stuff like that from Luke Crate, you get you know, characters, you know, what do you call it, dolls or whatever you call him. That stuff is gonna be worth a lot of money doing a lot man, that'll be worth a lot of money. But anyway, what's happening here is that is that Aaron is living in a small house with his brothers and sisters and his mom, and they like in many places, you know, wherever you go. You know, they they took the garage and they made it into a bedroom. You know. I mean, everybody's seen that, I think, you know, I mean you know, I mean you know I've seen it. Uh, you know. And I don't mean to imply that everybody is living in a house. Okay, I don't mean that, but I'm saying that we've we've seen that if you get a little experience. So anyway, Aaron is in bed one night with his girlfriend and he's sleeping, and he's sleeping. He's not thinking about anything, you know, he's just sleeping. And meanwhile, what's happening is outside. The two individuals that decide to do this hit to make Mary Thompson happy, Elstad and Brown. They go over to the house a little bit earlier in the evening and they see lights are on and they say, well, this is not a good time to do it. And then they come over later on and it's like, oh, I don't know, around midnight and the house is in such it's not facing the street, it's like between other houses. So they come and what they do is they steal in. They open the door, they get into the garage and they see the kid in bed, and they have their weapon with them, and Jim Elstad fires one shot and Aaronis is on his side, you know, sleeping, and the bullet goes in and comes out in the front and at that point, at that point, shortly thereafter, the girlfriend awakens and is It's actually very similar to what happens to Abraham Lincoln Lucky.
Speaker 1: Land casino asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess a hide my dentist's office more than months.
Speaker 3: Actually, do I have to say?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: You do in the car before my kid's pta meeting.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, excuse me, what's the weirdest place you've gotten Lucky?
Speaker 4: I never win and tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 7: You could get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 4: Play for free right now. Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 8: No, We're just necessary for my long eighteen plus terms conditions of plus see what's every details?
Speaker 4: You've worked hard for?
Speaker 12: What you have, your money, your assets, your four oh one K and home. Isn't it all worth protecting it? Nearly one in four consumers have been a victim of identity theft. LifeLock Ultimate Plus helps protect your finances without the three million dollars in reimbursement. LifeLock alerts you to identity threats you might miss, and if your identity is stolen, it your dedicated US based restoration specialists will work to fix it. Let LifeLock help protect which you've worked so hard for. Save twenty five percent off your first year on LifeLock Ultimate Plus at LifeLock dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash aware terms apply.
Speaker 6: Because I just wrote that scene for my book coming out in September, which is that when Lincoln was shot, they didn't realize at first. The doctor who first shows up to help him, doctor Leal, he didn't realize he's been shot because it's in the back of the head and it's you know, it's covered with hair and so forth. Well, basically the same thing happens here the girlfriend and when later janis the mother is not aware that he's been shocked because they see something. They think he's been hit from the front of his head. The bullet goes all the way through and comes out, and that it's shocking. I don't you know, it's just a shocking scene. And at that point it's you know, amazingly, it's amazing. It's very similar to Lincoln. You know, Lincoln survived for about it was about twelve hours because he had a strong constitution. Aaron was the same way he survives. But what happens is his mom wants to go to the hospital with him, and she still doesn't know it's a bullet wound. She still thinks, you know, he's hit in the head. And the cops did their job. They did a very good job because anytime somebody who is killed, or i'm sorry, anytime somebody is assaulted and it's in somebody's house, the first thing you do is look at the family. And they needed to do a paraffin test to make sure that she didn't have any gunpower residue with her and her kids. So that's the first thing that they do until and then she's finally allowed to go to the hospital. And meanwhile, the two bad guys, they don't they don't run very far that one of them lives, like across the street. You know, they just run across the street, and nobody knows what the heck is going down. I mean, it's just like boom, boom, that's it. You know, one shot, that's it, and and they go across the street, and then you know, other things will happen, of course, but the police certainly don't know what's going on at this point.
Speaker 10: How do police proceed with this? Of course, they've they've done the necessary procedures in terms of securing the crime scene, making sure that they can eliminate all of the family as any kind of potential witnesses. I'm sure they do all those did all those things by the book. But what do they do to be able to look for suspects. What's the process for them?
Speaker 6: Well, the process is is they begin to feel like there's something gang related, and so once they think it's gang related, they go to the expert on their in their police department, who is who's you know, their gang task force dude. And at that point they say, hey, listen, can you find out what's going on? And we said, well, you know, I'll see what I can do. I'll call gang mom. So so here we have a situation where Mary Thompson is putting the hit out on this kid. And then she's like the first one that they're going to contact to say, Oh, do you know anything about this? Can you tell us? You know what's going on here? I mean, you can't come up with a better cover than this. I mean it's brilliant. Yeah, it's brilliant. And so they start looking at at you know, they start questioning her and and you know, and and then you know and that you know, and then they go from point A to point be and so forth and so on. But what what what? What nobody knows is that the detective that becomes the primary on the case, Jim Machad, he knows her from another incident previous to this, and that essentially is what destroys her con because Jim Machad had dealt with her previously and on something else, So he immediately when he sees that she's involved his intent to go up and he starts thinking, wait a second, what's going on here? And then it becomes a question of dog and police pursuit and and and and and you know, and bringing these you know, taking a closer look at the individuals involved in the gang activity in Egype, which of course is going to lead back to her.
Speaker 10: It's very interesting. You introduce the character Rick Rayner, and he's the guy that's totally convinced that Mary Thompson is the gang mom, and she's real effective and Jim Mashad, like you say, I'll just kind of encapsulate on it. She was working at a sign company and there was some money missing, so Jim Shad was called for help. Now he was. He came to this and interviewed Mary Thompson and she had put on her and he was looking at resumes and that's how they kind of narrowed it down. He's looking at resumes and then he was looking wait a minute, field investigator for the Josephine County Police Department. Okay, and then he just and Mary, just for the record, is like five foot eight, one hundred and sixty pounds, kind of stocky woman. He says, listen, and you were a drug informant, not a field investigator, and heavily in the drug trade there. And he said he's lying. And he said, well, how about this. Can't state it, can't state it called, can't state you weren't over there. Their line can't states lying, So kent state sign So Jim that basically had a really good idea of the kind of character even in the face of factual information, she would still try to lie her way out of it, deny her way out of it. But yet he knew the character of this woman. So you also described tell us the scene where they meet each other again, and that just and you do capture that that it must have been a very very satisfying scene and an event for Jim. Shot.
Speaker 6: Well, what happens is he initially doesn't want her to know it's him, because she knows that if she knows, she's going to clear him up. So he keeps he keeps his idea entity secret for an appreciable portion of the even though he's the primary on the case. He keeps his identity secret for a certain period of time until he feels that it's time to come out from the shadows. And when he does, he says, Hey, Mary, how you're doing. He's introduced by I think it's Rainer that introduces them, and she doesn't blank. Really, I mean, she is a cold blooded killer, and so he and he of course is he's getting a kick out of this, there's no question, because you know, he knows he's after the right person. And so it's so when it finally comes about, he's hoping that when she realizes that he knows her and that he knows is that she's she's a liar in the past. He's hoping, like the other cops do, that she's going to make some mistakes and say this and that and so forth and so on that will implicate her. But she's she's as stone She is as stone cold a murderer as any that I have ever written about. She is stone cold. She is as bad as any serial killer. And uh, and so so while he gets a certain amount of pleasure, and I don't blame her, you know, cat and mouse game, Jim really understands what he's up against. He really understands he's against He's going up against the real pro especially from their previous interaction where she said she went to Kent State University, and and then she she claims she went to a community college afterwards to take some course on bookkeeping. And then, like you point out, she just said they were all lying. You know that, you know when she checks all these these references and they don't check out, and so he's hoping that she's going to fold in some way. But it doesn't happen. It doesn't happen. I mean, she is just stone cold and stone cold.
Speaker 10: Now the information that the police are getting about this, about the culprits potentially again she used to be again an informant. When you can see that she's a natural informant and that she's will turn in anybody, it doesn't seem to see it loyalty to maybe her son possibly, but in the end I don't even think that. But what did the police find out just from the mouth of Mary Thompson regarding potential culprits.
Speaker 6: Oh well, she claims that the bad guy, the guys that committed she just decides to turn in the the the the bad guys, the uh Joe Brown and Jim Elstad. Elstad is the trigger man. Brown is the guy that accompanies them to kill Aaron and she just basically turns him in. She just not will not turns him in. She she says that they came to her house and that night after the murder, and they said that they've tapped Aaron gang speak for killed. And so she she doesn't have any compunction about about informing on these these members. They are members of her of her secret gang, and they're the ones who who commit this crime. And the idea, of course, is that if she informs on them, then she figures that hey, you know, they'll get them and the cop be satisfied, free, my son is free, and she can continue to do what she's doing. That's that's the uh, that's what she that's her rationale. And again she has no conscience whatsoever about doing any of this. Why should she have any conscience, you know, she doesn't have any conscience. So she just says, hey, man, I'm just gonna you know, she just makes a decision, you know, uh self preservation, I'm going to inform on them. She doesn't have any values. And that's what she does. She just informs and says they've done it. And then on the basis of that and the other evidence they put together, they could take these dudes into custody.
Speaker 10: Now with Jim Michaud, and again he's quite the character in terms of his resolve right away with this information. And why would you know, why would she put out this information Because she knows that somebody like Jim Machad is on to her, so she's kind of anticipating that something might lead to her. So she's talking like that to her to these officers. She thinks she's very clever. But what happens is that Macheaud puts her in a in a situation where she has to get her phone wired and for potential conversations. And what I was thinking too is before that, when she talks about the deflection about these two guys doing it, what happens when these two guys are arrested? And again true true to her plan, what do these two guys say when they are arrested?
Speaker 6: Well, these guys they what do you mean? What do they say to the cops?
Speaker 10: Basically that's true to form. She's they're taking the fall for this crime. They're pretty happy about this. And as we'll get you talk about in the book later, there's a lot of evidence about how much they uh really enjoyed their work.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, they they're they're they're proud of the fact that that they have been arrested for this. They're extremely proud of the fact that they've been arrested for this because you know, they've been arrested for committing murder and this is a big deal within their gang culture, and they figure that hey, you know, you know, uh, this makes them even more popular, even they're not. It's not so much at this point that they're accepted. It's more like their celebrities, their celebrities within their their their limited world, and they you know, they're they're they're more than happy to, uh, could take the fall, because again it's it's it's you know, this is you know, they think like, you know, they're they're they're hot shots. They think that they're you know, they think that they're major gangsters, and so they're they're more than happy to take the fall. And I think they also know that as juveniles, there's only so far that the state can go in charging them. You know, you're not dealing with a situation where you've got capital punishment and it wouldn't make any any difference anyway. Well, actually, I was just gonna say it wouldn't make a difference because capital punishment for juveniles was not ruled down in the United States until a millennium. But they're not dealing with that in this particular state. You know, the best you know that they could could have gotten supposedly, you know, they could have gotten life, but that's not certainly that's they're not thinking about that. All they're thinking about is, Hey, you know, I'm popular. Uh, you know, I'm real popular. In fact, I'm sort of thinking about it right now, and I'm thinking to myself, Man, these kids were a little bit more educated, they might have tried selling their story. I've seen this plenty of times. Bad guys are you know, captured and they want to sell their story to the movies, you know. But as far as they're concerned, hey man, we're popular, you know, and these are boys, so they figured that it'll make them real popular with the girls. You know. They're not thinking about bill, I'm going to go to you know, I'm going to go to prison. I'm going to be some dude's bitch. They're not thinking about it that way. They're thinking about it, well, you know what, maybe I said for a couple of years and I get out and now I'm even more popular than ever before. Again, no conscience, no conscience. Mary was very smart in picking people close to be part of the gang that really don't have a conscience. And in these two individuals she picked down Well.
Speaker 10: No, she, like I said, she planned on having that kind of reaction from these two guys that they would when questioned that Mary put you up to this as this part of Mary, it has any involvement? Is no, Mary don't have any involvement. You know he called her mom, right, so both of my mom so yeah, so. And the thing is is that she also told the police some things that again in her mind, cleverly kept her out of being prosecuted for anything. Yet would explain some things like you can explain about the gun and the story she told police and the idea that they came. They came to her and told her, but somehow she didn't believe it. So tell us about this the pimple tale.
Speaker 6: Well, you know what, that's an interesting one. Yeah, they came to her, they told her about the gun that they used, and then what happens is she talks to them about getting rid of the evidence, and so they drive down the idea is to get rid of the gun and the bullets. That is, the bullets left in the gun. Remember, there's only one bullet that's fired. It's one shot. And by the way, it's not like this kid, Elstad was a great shot it It was almost point blank range, like six feet. And I actually went down to the river where this occurred. And as I and I was thinking about it. For some reason, it's it's stayed in my mind. Dan, you know, it's like I went. I they do it at night. I did it during the day obviously. But she takes this truck and she drives down this you know, obscure road to this river and there's rapids, you know, and she and what happens is she stops the car and Elstad gets out of the car and he takes the bullets out of the gun and he goes over to the banks of the river and he throws the bullets in and he throws the gun in. But this is a kid that is not going to be drafted by any major league team. He has allows the arm. So what happens is the bullets don't go very far. Neither does the gun. I mean, this part is really amazing. When you think about it, that they could even recover this stuff, and they will eventually refer the gun in a certain way that I describe in the book, and at least one of the bullets, which of course helps with the forensics. But I remember when I was standing by the banks of that river and I was looking up and down the river, you know what I mean, and looking and seeing, and it's a very isolated place. And you know, Mary knew what she was doing. Man, she really knew what she was doing, because this was it's not like it's you know, New York, you know, like where I come from, the Hudson River, you know, where there's people all over the joint. It's isolated. You know, we're out in the country someplace. But they don't count on the fact that that they're not counting on the current, what the current is when the bullets are thrown in, and when the gun is thrown in, they just figure it's going to sink to the bottom and melt you know, melt in and so forth. Doesn't quite work out that way, you know. But I got to tell you when I was standing there, you know, and looking out, you know, it's amazing what you'll think about you know, what you think about you years later when you're working on a case. And it was it was very isolated, but I got a vibe from the place. You know. It was one of those places that you know, you wouldn't want. It was isolated. You wouldn't go there at night unless you were an idiot, you wouldn't go there. So they she picked very very well a place to get rid of the weapons of the weapon rather and the and the bullets, and you know, and she she thought, and the dead guys thought that it was going to work out in their favor. What they didn't understand was how currents work. And they didn't understand that, you know, the possibility that there could be chance that they could recover any of these material. And the most important thing is they didn't understand that they that they were up against a cop that wasn't going to give up.
Speaker 10: Now this is he's the guy that won't give up because you have a situation we'll talk about in a second about the DA offers her in ninety five a deal just for hindering prosecution, way way off from any kind of murder or anything else. But let's talk about again some really dramatic scenes is the funeral and again Aaron Yutia married. Janice had called Mary ten fifteen times that day, couldn't get a hold of her. Thought it was odd after the murder. Then third, well I'll see her at the funeral. What happens at the funeral?
Speaker 6: She does show up, bet her good buddy. Mary does not show up. She's not there. She doesn't show up until some time later where she shows up at her house and Janice is really upset by this, and there is a conversation that occurs, and well, just that track, and this is really a scene right out of the movies where Jim Ashad is hanging out at the funeral looking at everybody, you know, the cop is looking to see if he's going to find any clues, you know, And Mary doesn't show up. But a short time later she does show up at Janice's house and she makes a big mistake and that will come back and haunt her. But at this point, what's happening is that Mary makes all kinds of excuses for not showing up to Janice and she says, oh, you know, I'm your friend, and blah blah blah blah blah, blah, but it. Janice is not having any of it. And the thing is, if I'm a ad, which is Janice's daughter, Maya feels, oh my god, tremendous guilt because what happens is Lisa Centris, who is the one of the members of the gang. She is the button woman, a phrase that I got from Actually the phrase would be button man. I think the only place I've ever seen it was The Godfather. But basically, she confirms that Aaron's home the night that they go to get him. But Maya takes the phone call where she asks for Aaron, and Maya says, well, he's in the next room or something like that, you can't get him. And she feels a tremendous amount of guilt. And this poor girl, the sister, has a suicide attempt because she feels this tremendous guilt. And I think, you know, that's one the thing that came across to me Dan, which was that the damage that these killers can do to families is not just obviously the individual they kill or the parents, but it's also the siblings and other relatives who are around that individual, and the fallout is just tremendous, you know, I always say that murder ripples through generations. Murder ripples through generations. We see this time and time again, and so the damage that Mary Thompson caused and her son bo will ripple through the Itura family in years to come. That's unfortunately the way it is. Can it be mediated in some way through therapy, medication, Yes, but there's still damage. There's still damage. And if there's one thing that's come across to me Dan in writing true crime, that's what's come across to me. You know what I mean? How you know people who are involved, the relatives to friends and and I'm all I can also talk about this personally. I've had four people close to me who've been murdered. Four, Okay, and it's terrible, terrible, but you know, the only thing that any of us can do, and I'm sure there are some individuals that are listening to our show tonight who have been in this situation. The only thing that we can do is to continue on and certainly try to get justice for the individual who's killed, but also live our lives in such a way that we honor the individuals that have died.
Speaker 10: I agree, and let's talk about let's talk about the natural consequence of Aaron natura if you think about it, is that Bow is now released from prison because now there's no witness to this crime. There's not going to be nobody to testify. So he's out. So Mary's quite happy. Their son bull Flynn is out. Yes, so tell us about the circumstances where she doesn't want to go for this police He says, no, I'm not guilty of anything. How do they get to the point where machad Rick Rayner leaves the guy that was real sympathetic and thought she was great, he's gone somehow. But how does michad get her into a situation in a position that she is forced to put a wire on her phone? Before we get into the almost fantastic, almost somewhat comical, almost some of it, the conversations that were recorded by this wire warrant, Well.
Speaker 6: What happens with initially, Initially there's a situation where the wire is put on her phone to just get some of the individuals involved in the in Aaron's death. In other words, she's cooperating. But after the fact, what happens is Mary is under the impression that there's no more wire and what And Jimmy Shott has this feeling. He has this feeling that a lot of the uptick in crime in Eugene is a result of the seventy four Hoover Cripts led by Mary Thompson. And he's and the only way and the only way to find this out is to put a secret wire on them. And I'll tell you this is like textbook stuff. I mean, it's like what they did was they established a listening post someplace in downtown Eugene. They didn't do it at the police department because they were concerned that not Rick Rayner, it could have been you know, and I don't We don't need to imply in any way that Rick Rayner said anything to her or anything. That's that's not the point. The point is, it's just that you're going after a murderer and you need you need privacy in order to establish the wire and you know, set the wire up and at the same time have a listening post. And so what they do is that's exactly what they do. They set up a listening post in downtown Eugene or upcount whatever you want to call it. And at the same time, at the same time they they have Mary's phone wire and that and and that leads to really some unbelievable stuff because what what Michad is trying to do is not only get evidence to get her for the murder of Aaron, but also to try to bust what they suspect is a gang that she's running secretly at night. So they they were able to get the wire, and that was what what was quite interesting, by the way, which was for me anyway, which was it's not so easy to get wired. You know, you got to go through a court order, you know. And I'm sure it's the same where you know, wherever you go, you know, be it Australia, England, Canada, France, whoever it might be. Obviously in Russia they'll do anything they want to do. Uh now I'm gonna get putin coming coming up to me, right and but but but seriously, it's very interesting because they Jim has to Jim and Shott has to go before the judge give them this warrant, said, this is why I want to do this, and so forth and so on. Judge has to say yes, because obviously people's civil liberties are at stake, and so they get the warrant they place the wire and Mary does at this point doesn't know the wire is on. And they established a listening post and they start listening and they hear Quie a bit.
Speaker 10: Now eventually, Yeah, they incredible conversations from all of the players, Lisa and all kinds and Larry and so she is playing them. They don't know that she's a rat. She's the snitch, the king of the snitches here, the queen of the snitches. They're not really, they're not aware of that. But at trial, we'll have to skip to a head for the trial in that finally there's enough, you know, there's enough evidence so that Jim Shod makes the rest or they make the arrest, and now it's time for court and she's psychopathic and she's against the wall. Tell us a little bit about the trial dynamic, but tell us about how the I guess the scene where jimhad they have enough information, enough evidence so that they make the arrest on Mary Thompson.
Speaker 6: Well, there's a big scene in the book where what's happening is that right prior to this bow the son who's who's free, Uh, he decides that he's going to get some guns, and I guess he's going to sell them or something like that, and the cops have to make a decision and they make that. It's very interesting because you know, it's the kind of stuff you never you know, I've never seen any of this, you know, like a TV or anything, like when do you compromise the wire? And they make a decision that if a human life is at stake, they they'll compromise the wire. So when this kid Flarn gets these guns, I think they're from Lisa, you know, he's going to sell them someplace or use these He's gonna use them, He's going to use them for like hold ups and so forth. At that point, the cops close in and Bow leaves them on a merry chase across of the city. And as it happens, they have the wire tap going and Mary is listening in rather an individual, another individual who's part of the gang, calls her up and says, oh, I'm listening to the police scanner and they're going after boat. So here we got a situation where the cops are listening to Mary, who's talking to a guy who's listening to a police scanner, telling her that they're going after her son, and all she wants is for him to come home. That's all she wants, and so that he both leads them on a marry chase across the city and it isn't until they actually get him, and it takes quite some time to do that, that they finally close in on Mary and she is arrested for uh, for plotting, or rather actually she's she's essentially arrested for plotting Aaron's murder, though that's not technically what she's charged with. That's what's interesting to me, because they don't charge it with first degree murder, I think is she's actually charged with third degree. But they throw the book at her aggravated, aggravated, Yeah, and yeah, and they throw the book at her. And then Mahad, you know, he's doing the best that he can, working with the prosecutor Steve Skelton. And by the way, the hardest thing I'm writing this thing, and I'm going to prosecutor Steve Skelton. All I kept thinking is Red Skelton, you know, the famous commun meeting. And so Machad is in a situation where now after you know, sure, he gets a lot a pleasure out of arrest, and Mary, you know, she done it. But it's now up to the prosecutor to put her away. And again, this is not the most serious crime. The idea is, you know, and of course Mary is going to say, well, I didn't do anything, or the other guy done it, you know, and that's basically you know, she uses the other guy defense. And you know, Michad is there all the time at the trial because he's really invested. That's that's the thing I found out about him. He's he's it's quite interesting because he's invested emotionally. You know, he's invested emotionally. I don't see that too often, you know, I'm about you know, anybody else. You know, he does this work, but this was a guy you know who and who you know, he really was invested emotionally in this and and bringing this woman down. I mean, he got it. You know, he understood what was going down here. So you know, there's a trial and it's it's it's a dramatic trial because she's claiming, you know, she didn't have any knowledge or about what was going on, and her attorney did the best that he could to show that she was innocent. And certainly and you know, as you read it, Lea spy read it. You realize the system works sometimes, you know, I always say this, Dain, I always say the system works if you work it. This is this is that kind of a situation. The system worked because they worked it. They did it by the numbers. And what impresses me is the fact that not only were they diligent about it, but they didn't violate anybody's civil rights. I mean, that's all you hear about today, you know, it's all you hear about. But this is not that kind of situation. These people, the police, the prosecutors, they worked within the law because they were doing the right thing, and I think that's the reason why they got the result that they did.
Speaker 10: I found it in that they used all the players that were culpable. You see a lot of examples in America, and this is what you don't see in a lot of jurisdictions is the culpability for everybody involved, even if they weren't at the crime scene itself, where you wouldn't have that catada at all, you know, and aren't harder to prove in the UK, just with a podcast I did last week to create that, Oh yes, to create the culpability of all five people two people were in that case. But in this which was interesting is that they used those people with the wire taps and use that psychology against them, but also realized that these people were there were kids that were They certainly were not innocent, but there weren't criminal charges. They didn't drag these guys through the courts and say, listen, give you a deal and give you thirty years if you you know, you rat out on your friends. So they really stuck to the people that were the gunman and his associate. But Michead wanted Mary, and Mary had to take the stand because so much evidence against her and so many witnesses, good witnesses like Cameron Slave came forward and said, yeah, I knew they were going to do it. The gun was passed around. She said, this gun is going to solve our problem, you know. So there was a lot of stuff. There was a lot of stuff on the wiretap. She slipped up other people. She didn't realize that a couple of the statements were incriminating, so they didn't have to resort to that plea agreement, which would have give her a slap on the wrist. And like you say, you described the trial, was it eight hours later or something, they came back. What was the what did they give her as a sentence?
Speaker 6: Well, that's the part, you know, as I was reading it. It surprised me at the time I wrote it, and it surprised me now. I can't believe what they gave her. They gave her life. I have and I haven't no parole, I haven't, you know, And the same that you know, as you're talking about it, you know what's coming across to me, because you've got tremendous perspectives, is that everything was above board. Like you said, they weren't trying to turn the you know, twist the arms of the witnesses who had evidence they did it the right way. They actually appealed to their consciences. And I think as as as we're talking about it right now, I think that's why there was a conviction. Because the defense could not come back and say, well, you made a deal with Cameron Slade, you made a deal with least oftentious, so whatever it might be, you know, you may deal with angel El said. They couldn't come back and say that they were doing every you know, everything above board. And I think it has a lot to do with this particular state, Oregon, you know, again, and there are some states that I feel do things more above board quite frankly than others. And in the Pacific Northwest, those people in Washington State in Oregon, they you know, the record shows that that the that they do things above board doesn't mean, you know, you're not going to have situations where, you know, with the cops do something wrong. But I would say the preponderance of cases, and certainly in this one, that they do the right thing. And as a result of getting of having these individuals testify and contradict Mary's testimony that she knew exactly what was going on, she set the whole thing up. That's why the jury came back with a guilty verdict, and that's why the judge pronounced her guilty. And I'm sorry the judge pronounced sentences life. He didn't have to do that. You know, he had a discretion, but he didn't, you know, he went with what the jury said because that was the preponderance of evidence, certainly beyond a reasonable doubt.
Speaker 10: It's great that her psychopathic character or sociopathic nature prevented her from taking a deal earlier on so lucky unlucky in that regard, and also just the you really do capture the character of Jim Ashod and how much this case really meant to him, and just how much he wanted to defeat this woman to make sure she was brought to justice, not just these two kids that he thought were certainly responsible, but he knew who was the bigger culprit out of this deal, this two faced person that had turned into this you know, media or pardon me, anti gang activist within truth is just the.
Speaker 6: Oh no, media, media is anti gang active is promoted by the media, absolutely. And you know what, you're also pointing out something else which I hadn't thought of until this moment, because you you have tremendous perspective, and which is that Jim Mchad was obviously raised the right way. Think about it. You know, when you think about it, you know, he didn't try any tricks, he didn't violate any civil rights. You know, he's the direct antithesis of the kind of of of cops that you see so much in the news today who seemed to violate individuals civil rights, at least in the United States, which you see a lot of. This is a different kind of guy. This is a guy who who who was raised with a strong sense of right and wrong, but was not going to violate anybody's civil rights. He was going to do this fair and square. And as I get more experience, I find that not to be necessarily the norm, you know what I mean. And it's you know, it's not necessarily the norm to have a detective that will be so into doing the right thing. I want to believe all detectives will do this, but I don't. But realistically that's not the case. There are too many instances where laws of civil rights have violated, too many instances where cops abuse individuals in order to get confessions. This is not the case. We're talking about a guy who upheld the law, and I might add had a sense of humor. And I will also say he mixes a mean martini. Yeah, go ahead, I'm sorry, No, go ahead. No, he was just kind enough. You know, you made dinner, and you know he mixed the martini. And I'm not a Marchini guy, you know, but he was kind enough to do this. And again, you don't find people, you know what I mean, like they opened themselves up and you know, especially to a reporter, I mean, you don't see too much of this stuff today, Dan, you know.
Speaker 10: You know it's nice too, is that one of the last scenes is basically, of course Mary getting hers, you know, but these other people sort of rebuilding their lives a little bit from this ashes of this nonsensical make believe gang anyway nonsense. But but also that the hero of the book, Jim Maschad, basically, like you say, has a I almost wanted to have him a martini after I heard how he was doing it. So it was a martini, and he had just married his girlfriend and so he for once it wasn't you know, the police officer that was totally consumed by the job in a very very negative way. It's I'm sure it's I'm sure it's had its effect. But in this book anyway, in this scene that you describe it, it's Jim with his girlfriend enjoying life with a martini. So very very fitting and dramatic scene at the end of the book to a very very again not really a happy ending, but again just you really portray Jim a shot as this kind of very very interesting character, a little bit sarcastic and so great Yeah, great writing, Fred and capturing this and thank you very much for coming on and talking about it. We're going to have you back on August thirty. First, I believe talking about your next book, So just tell us a quick plug for that and how people might want to get a hold of you Facebook, and just tell us of the Open Road contact as well.
Speaker 6: Just before I okay, there you go as far as okay, as far as open road you can just go to you know, openrooad dot I think it's openroad dot com, but all the books are available at Amazon dot com. Just type in my name Fred Rosen and I'm also anybody wants to contact me, you can send me an email at my end. I have a book coming out on September one. It's and I've worked on this book for fourteen years, and it's called Murdering the President Alexander Graham Bell and the Race to say James Garfield. And I prove in this book that James Garfield was not killed by Charles Gattau, as history says that it was somebody else that killed them. And the books has the forward is written by President's great great grandson Ank Garfield. And we can talk about it. But Hunk is available also to come on and talk about it, and it was quite It was quite an investigation, I have to tell you, to go back over one hundred years and having to write three different presidential assassination scenes and there's a reason for it. It was really quite something and it is quite Frankly, I think it's the best thing I've ever written, and I never said anything like that, but you know, I felt the responsibility as I always do, to the victim's family, and in this case it was Hank and I did the best that I could, and I hope people like the book.
Speaker 10: Well, it'd be fascinating talking to you about it, and I look forward to reading it, of course, and I'm you know, anxious to have you back on and discussing that in the near future. So thank you very much, Fred for coming on in another great interview talking about Gang Mom. You have yourself a great night, Fred, thank you very much, and good night again.
Speaker 6: And it's always a pleasure to take care of your Saul Sert.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm
Speaker 6: Mm hm.