Speaker 1: Hello everybody, Welcome to That's Not Metal, and welcome to a big old episode for us this May. This is the reviews back here on That's Not Metal. We are your weekly rock and heavy metal podcasts. In this particular week, we are coming at you with a delectable selection of releases from the worlds of metal, punk, alternative rock, all things heavy to give to you, and we're going to give you the lowdown on why. These are some of the records that have come out this particular month that you should if you have not so far, you should check in on these and give you our thoughts on them. My name is Parnhish. With me to do this task, Elliot Paisley is joining me for this one. How you doing, man, very well?
Speaker 2: I've been enjoying the heat.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it has been that weeks.
Speaker 2: It's been pretty I mean, for some of the albums we're doing, it could not be less appropriate. But there is there is one that really aligned nicely.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we have got some records, maybe specially selected to try and balance out the ones that do feel completely inappropriate. But we're not the ones who released them this month. They are so to blame them. But today we have got to talk about in the reviews the new albums from Basement Frozen Soul, Haggard, A Frozen Soul in Fucking This Heat, you know what I mean, it's just ready Basement, Frozen Soul, Haggard, Cat, Fire Tools, Prison, Eared Tom, A Forest of Stars, Pernopticon and Scimitar. We have got just a little dabbling in the news before we get into all of that. I'm gonna cheap these relatively brief, so we're not going to go into the latest inane thing that the Osbourne's have had to say. But we have got, in terms of live music announcement here in the UK, quite a few exciting things. First up, AFI have added another date to their now like it's coming up to like five or six dates or something that they're actually now in the UK, which is you never would have dreamed it unbelievable. They have added the thing that was lacking before all this, which was a London headline show at Shepherd's Bush Empire. This is on the twentieth of August, that is two days before what was the first date, which was the Manchester show. And I am convinced that this has been added because Davey Havoc has learned from some journalists that The Kure are playing in Manchester the day before them, and so I think that this has been rounded specifically to get that particular slot in for the man and I salute that if that's the case. So everybody in London, who was you know, holding off from doing the big outbreak or points East deftoned thing? You want to see AFI headline? Of course I understand that I want to say AFI headline, That's why I'm doing it. Then you now can do so in London. We also have extra dates added around not loose appearances with Metallica. Next month they are going to be playing along with the dates that have already been announced with Metallica. They are going to be headlining in Belfast, Dublin, Bristol and Nottingham. I am quite sad that I'm not going to be hitting up the Metallica shows with you know, not Losing Goodyear and everything next month there looks like it's gonna be great. But we also have a touring announcement from worm Rot, who for a band from literally OtherSide the world. They do come here, they treat us, don't they? They come here pretty often? These days, but they're gonna be playing They was already announce they are playing Core Festival, but they've added a whole string of dates around that, which includes Nottingham, London, Newcastle, Belfast, Dublin, Manchester, Leeds, Newport and Southampton, which is good old stuff. And considering that some of those shows again bands on Core Festival include Pig Straw and I Hate God, they are going to be also appearing on some of these dates with with with Romot. You could be tempted by that, surely.
Speaker 2: It's honestly mad. How often worm rot here by the Father's I'm going, ah, I should, I should make my way down to that, and you I was only like, what six months ago? Yeah, It's just it's fucking ridict. I am highly tempted by that Southampton date. So I've traveled quite far from when more in the past. I think the first one I saw them was at that White Hotel, which was a four hour drive for yeah, thirty five minutes of music, So.
Speaker 1: I mean, unfortunately, they've also had news this week that venue of the White Hotel in Manchester is going to be closing down next year, which is very sad. I haven't been there in quite a long time. I know they have like lots of like cross genre, you know, like they don't just book punk and metal shows. But unfortunately as a venue, it's gonna be going you know, disappearing.
Speaker 2: But nice.
Speaker 1: It was, it was appropriate, it was a good time. So yeah, I'm really and genuinely very sad to hear about the White Hotel. Let's move on to more heavy stuff though, because right before we have gone to record, we have a latest addition to the Damnation bill and Damnation this year they're just I applaud so much the sheer fucket energy they're putting into it, Like it really feels like they're going, well, we've you know, we've sold x amount of tickets before we can go to you know, start panicking. So let's just like manifest things that no one thought was going to happened, like more festivals. You know, obviously, if they have the ability to, should just go in with this, Like what because added one band to the Damandation bill this year today, but it is the Berserker, the Australian like industrial grind death metal band from primarily active during the two thousands, and it is their it's their only show in Europe for a start, this is an exclusive. It's also their first European show in eighteen years. Because the Berserker have not been an active thing for a long time, They've been playing in other bands like the Australian band where Walls, for example, features some members of the Berserker. But this is a real out of the blue thing.
Speaker 2: This is the sort of thing which it could literally could only happen at a metal festival, obviously, but only an extreme metal festival. Because the Berzerk are like a weird and niche band within a weird a niche thing. They're very enigmatic and very specific in their appeal, like is it industrial grind call that's not going to appeal to absolutely everyone. I'm kind of confounded by this. I obviously this is kind of the announcement that they are back, but the Berserka is just not a band that I've thought about, we even considered the return of maybe ever, because they've not been actually my time of following extreme music, and now it's like, oh fuck, in a few months I'll be seeing will they be in costume? Probably not. I'd like them to be, but it's just it's it's so weird that they that they exist again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Gavin, you know, very humorously. Right before Winter recorded, he posted in the That's Not Metal forum on Facebook saying, I'm booking these bands now just to hear parents' reaction.
Speaker 3: And I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: But I also thought, I mean, I, you know, the Berserker, I will well up for see and absolutely again like one of those part of that wave of you know, going into twenty first century, bands like Agrobet, Nosebleed and Anna Thrac who were like pumping up through the use of technology, just how fucking ridiculous extreme metal could be essentially. And I guess, like I said, I'm well in for that, and I'm like, it's an awesome thing that they're here. But I thought even more than me, I thought about you, Elliott, because I don't know if you're actually a fan of The Berserker, but that crop of like mad you know, like electro grind whatever type things. I just I had something in me. I was like, I bet The Berserker would be something that Elliot would be like, oh my god, I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: It's you know, they were a band that it'sn't be a long time to come around. Because I had a ridiculous bias against them because when I first got into extreme music, they were it was maybe not like the band, but they were like they're the fastest band to ever walk the earth, and I found it they had a drum machine and I was like, that's cheating, it's not allowed, it's not saying. It's like given the World Strongest Man Awards would a drawing of Superman. That's that's out of order, and and then the whole of them being a costume band and then giving it up. It was like, this is too weird. But in recent years, going back to it, they're fucking They were a cool bed like not I don't love them as much as say Alm the Thrack or Gorfobe, but Nose Bleed, but the appeal they have is kind of those things, but maybe like more they're a bit more coherent than I think than those bands were in their most extreme that some of their songs are really catch you not not quite melodic, might be a stretch, but like Carcass in their delivery, they're not as brutalizing as you might expect from it. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan. I'd be well for seeing them, and they are a band that I have grown to like more and more in recent years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you say it's not as mad as you might think, it's still for the average person, pretty fucking mad and certainly a mad addition to to that bill. Great the Berserker added to Damnation. Not tons on the new music front outside obviously the average views that we are doing. But a couple of things that caught my eye. One is the tomb Mold. You know those guys. I spoke about them recently. I saw them Incineration in London. Three of their members have come out with a new project. They have signed to Run for Cover Records, which is the immediate indicate what's going here. And they're going to be putting out an album coming in July under the name day Dream Plus. And the album is called Second Last Day of Summer. And when I say you know members of two Mold, this is basically everyone the band apart from so you might know Derek Vella, the guitarist, who is the guy who outside of two Mold, he's done things like dream Unending his particular side project, the kind of like ambient you know, proggy sort of you know, atmospheric doom band that he does this is everyone else from the band, and I think the other guitarist, Patient is like the primary kind of creative drive by in this particular project. But the idea of oh an alter ego two Mold band, right, and you know the dream and ending thing is different to Mold that you can see how that would like fit into the same creative universe. Have you checked out the Daydream plus track?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And from Too Old? Is it? No?
Speaker 2: I mean just I mean, first of I just saw the album cover and the songs that of the second Last Day of Summer, which is such a sweet and earnest song. It's lovely, it's it's delightful. And the weird point is I kind of can hear the two Mold in it because it's still got those liquid lead guitars that you know, sound like Mango Juice, but it's just outside of the concept of them sounded like cynic and just into like really breezy, lovely city pop. It's yeah, pleasant, Yeah, this.
Speaker 1: Is like an instrumental project of just like lovely little you know, as you say it, kind of city pop, instrumental, kind of power pop type deals. It's very light, it's very bubbly, I said, Run for Cover Records. I'm sure that many, many people who would never ever dream of listening to Too Mold would enjoy and get something out of this. Maybe we'll check in more on the album when it comes out. But yeah, that was the most I think, you know, head turning new music announcement of the week. I think we also have a new song from A Perfect Circle, which is called Stylus. They've released this ahead of their UK talk that's coming up sometime soon. Elliott, how big did you care at all for Eat the Elliott, Eat the Elliott fucking Eat the Elephant?
Speaker 2: I mean, my ego is only so big or if for starting bands naming it's gonna get to but it's more like a threat. Oh shit. Oh yeah, yeah. I don't like a perfect sirfle so my enemies, but uh they a few songs on it I thought were great. I thought I love so Long and Thanks for all the Fish. I think it's a great song. The album I found a bit flabby, a bit too ponderous. I kind of like the idea of them going arim more than I actually like them going rim so fine, but I didn't love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I found it pretty tedious and I'm extremely lukewarm on a Perfect Circle largely overall. Anyways, I won't less surprised by that, and this song also does not change any of that. I hope that the actual Perfect Circle fans like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you know, I think it's cool. It sounds much more like the classic Perfect Circle music that that people would typically point out. But I'm kind of similar to you. I'm not that wild about that. In the first time, made of Norms, I think is a perfectly good record, but I've never understood people claiming it's one of the best side projects albums of all time ever in the history of rock and roll. This is maybe a step in the right direction compared to most of Eat the Elephant, But I only it's got the song power of the best songs on that record. So yeah, if it's just middling, yeah, well, there you go.
Speaker 1: A pervoc circles new track as ahead of their UK tour that's coming up, and we do actually now have a final concrete date for what will be the final Sepultura show. You might be confused over the past couple years when they did farewell tours and then just seemingly just kept adding more shows. And more, return trip to Europe's and all that all the time. But we have an actual date now of when it will come to an end. In November of this year, November the seventh, Saturday, November seventh, they are going to be playing their final show, headlining in South Paalolo, Brazil, of course, on a bill that features Metal Allegiance, which is like the one of those all star metal musician cover band type things, Christian and Sacred Reich. It's nice see Christian on there. To get some more Brazilian representation. I would like to say maybe a little more of that, but maybe they're not going to make up with I don't know, the guys from Sarcophago. After the whole chain whipping scenario, go and listen to our first part chair special on the Patreon if you want to hear the story behind that whole scenario. But yeah, the final Sepultury are happening in November, so if you have not seen them in between now and November, and they have a date in your area, then that is very much the time to go and do it.
Speaker 3: So that's the.
Speaker 1: News this week. Let's get on with things. Firstly, a little shout out to the Patreon have I've just mentioned our Sepultury Is Special from many a moon ago. Now right now we are in the zone of doing our Corn Special, and we just this week put out the part two of it, where we spoke about everything from follow the Leader up to take a look in the Mirror and heads departure hopefully in a couple of weeks time. You know, in June we are going to dive pretty you know quickly back into the third part, which is I think apart we all of us are quite curious about. But this, you know, second Glory Years up until it isn't part but mostly Glory Years.
Speaker 3: Was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I mean we also went into some side tangents, into some side projects and stuff, which are always interesting, this part particularly, but yeah, get one.
Speaker 2: It right, so much fun. This was the most daunting of all the episodes because it's, like you agree, covering the height of the band. It's four pretty huge records, and it's the stories that go into them and all of that sort of thing. I actually think the next half is gonna be where it gets more interesting and argumentative in terms of charting why they're the most like one of the most important metal bands ever and why they're one of the greatest. It's it's just been so nice to go back and revisit those records and discuss them. It's been it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree that it was the most daunting part because as well as having those four records, we were talking about everything that comes with these years. So we had like, you know, Woodstock ninety nine, that small old thing. We had to talk about the height of them as an MTV band, and all of the videos, how they changed fashion, all of that stuff. But it went down pretty well, and I say everything from like free Conner Leash up to we ended on the word up cover you know, like good good times, and you can find that over at patron dot com slash that's a Mattall. We also have recent album clubs up there. We discussed Cat Your Blessings ahead of the anniversary shows for that. That's happening. All sorts going on, and we will return soon for part three of Corn. But right now, what we are really here to do today is the reviews retrospective. I suppose we're at the end of the month here. We're going to look back over May and pick out some of the records that really really want to talk about. And it has been, first of all, a pretty notable few weeks for some major albums coming out of the alt rock side of the T and M spectrum. Some of them, I'm sure you're wondering where they are. Some of them were sticking a pin in until Sam's come back. Sam's obviously away in Asia right now, and there's a couple albums where we're like, we feel that this will get a truer assessment and a better conversation if you know, Sam was here doing this with us. So some of those we will get to, but as there was such a good crop of them, we figured we should at least hit one of them while we are here. And so the first with you today is from Basement, who earlier this month released their album Wired, and it is their first album in eight years, which is a sentence I feel like I've been saying a lot these past couple weeks, but this one really felt quite long awaited because for the past four or five years since COVID, Basement have been thoroughly about like it's been difficult to avoid them, which is kind of reaffirmed in your mind more that they've been around but without making any new music. And Basement are one of the leading bands of the twenty ten's alternative rock boom, particularly here in the UK, and in these last few years it feels like they've very much confirmed themselves as having a pretty seminal status for a particular generation of that crowd. Their album Colory and Kindness in twenty twelve is one of the most lovingly recalled classics of that period. The follow up to that, promise Everything in twenty sixteen, also very good, I think. And then the last we had from them, Beside Myself in twenty eighteen, changed haapt just a bit, and it saw them shedding some of the gruffer elements of the early twenty tens post hardcore stuff and embracing a more kind of adult radio friendly emo kind of side, akin to bands like jimat World and the like, mixed in with a bit of classic brit rock maybe, and I loved when they did that. I think it's at the very least up there contending to be their best record. I think it probably is if you look at the Tratlers and it comes down to it, and I think the band themselves would get annoyed at me for saying that, but it is what it is. It felt like it was maybe the beginning of a bright new dawn for Basement, and then they disappeared, and when they came back this decade, it felt a little bit more like the old Basement was back. Maybe it's just that beside myself, you know, naturally didn't arrive at the same point of life for you know, their fan base that Columby and Kayness did. But beside myself feels like it's unfortunately being forgotten a bit, a load of songs missing from their setlists upon their return, underrated by the band themselves, seemingly, and instead Columby and Kindness anniversary treatment became very much the order of the day, and playing shows in that kind of vein for it felt like quite a long time. It felt like Basement became a little bit of a nostalgia band for a while, which maybe, as I say, the wait for new material feel longer until finally here we are. I say all of this, you know, not to be too salty, but just because I think it's relevant context for this band story. That they came back after that period away, they weren't quite picking up from what was their most recent record, but rather from a time before that. Elliott I can speak as not necessarily a hardcore fan of Basement, but amongst their generation of emo bands, they are one of the handful who I as not really a die hard fan of that that music. Do really like You're maybe like a colder.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They've They've always been a band that I've wanted to love more than I do. And you know, there's bands in this scene and bands of their generation that I love and I've clung to forever, even when some of them started making shit records. Basement, I've always been pretty amazed by their popularity. Like the fact that you like them is I think really interesting because it's there's not really anything about them that would mark them out sonically. It is kind of just a level of song craft or something I don't know, like they just the something which can, yeah, something which connects them to more people than you know, other bands their start. I've never been head over heels for any album of theirs, but I will also concede that they're not a band that I've given that many chances. I've sort of listened to the records as they've come out not connected that quickly and fairly swiftly moved on, and maybe that thing you'd describe about their presence but not commercial artistic contribution for the last few years has kind of made me feel even more distant from them or less interested. So this is the first time, I think only the first time ever that I've invested so much time listening to a Basement record. Maybe ever, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, and it's an interesting one to do that with, I suppose, but Basement are coming at this album with a larger level of expectations, maybe than normal, because of the absence, and that in that absence they have kind of inflated into being, as I say, a kind of seminal band. I like this record. Having got it, I had to say this album hasn't hit me as immediately as I'd hoped, based on how much I do like particularly their last three albums and the long wait for it. That's not to say I don't like it. Like clearing that up straight away, This is not a negative review. I think this is a good record. I've got a decent bit of enjoyment out of it. And if so, if this scene is your you know, bread and Butter I can imagine how much some other people might really be loving it if they were, you know, even harder on Basement into Basement than I was, so straight off the bat. This is a recommend if you've somehow not heard Basement before and you are a big fan of contemporary alternative rock. I'm just a little milder maybe in my take on this. Then I'd hoped you as someone who completely apathetic to Basement basically before this, But as you're saying, you've invested a little more time into this one than other Basement records. I would be curious how much you, you know, differ or align with that.
Speaker 2: I suspect I like it as much as you do, but I'm coming it from the other direction mine.
Speaker 3: That's probably right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suspect we're going to be agreeing the whole time, but it's going to be more positive because it's because I like this record. I don't I don't like everything about it. There's enough of me. There's enough about this for me to go, Yeah, I like this record, and when it's great, it's really great. There's enough features in it which I think are refreshing for banding their scene. Yeah, I just it's mild, but mild in a positive way. I guess. I don't know's it feels harsh, it feels weird. It sounds harsh the way I'm saying it. But I like this record.
Speaker 1: No, that's good, and I think that we can straight away from the top here we can go for the two of us two thumbs up.
Speaker 3: Yeah hoa.
Speaker 1: I think this album is good, and it does feel like it's a mixture of like it's very much for basement fans who are with them on columny and kindness and promise everything and have been going to see them, you know, since they return at these big outbreak shows and stuff like that, mixed in with also, you know, the developments in it feel like they are developments just for Basement, you know, rather than trying to necessarily, you know, assuage this and one way or another. I think that, you know, for the hardcore basement contingent who were like really pining for a record, there will be something very you know, lovely about that. I think a lot of the distancing from beside myself maybe comes from the fact that they signed to feel by Rahman for that one and this and then their return to primarily playing hardcore fests and the like. Seems to be reaffirming them as a more like grassroots, subcultural kind of band, and I respect that for sure. I think it's amazing that that album sonically turned out so well, avoided the fuel by ramification of like every rock band around that time, to be honest, but this one feels much more like, you know, hey, basement fans who remember us before, and maybe we're expecting, you know, we'd be curious about what that band would have matured into and grown into, you know, ten years down that line. This is that record, and these songs you can slip into those kind of environments. But as I say, simultaneously embrace a few production developments and such that mean even that kind of dirtier basement sound is put through a little bit of a blender on this. It is rougher than maybe any of their last albums, like since Colomyan Kindness may be like it not underproduced, but it's just sort of gruffer in the guitar tone and the drum sound, and they feel like they're going for a weight on things, like there's a drum beat on dead Weight just on its own, and it's kind of in uteroish, you know, and it's got that sort of that girth that a rock band in that kind of lane have. And there's a lot of like distorted vocal fry on songs as well, almost to the point of being deliberate backlash against what they sounded like last time. Like this feels a little bit with out being a you know, a berserker record. This feels like it's sort of maybe retaliating against the idea of making alternative rock to be played for radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of my favorite things about this record is how organic it sounds. You know, a time where basically anything popular and adjacent to this emo pop punk start, I say, anything popular there is there isn't a healthy underground or a healthy winger this start thing, which still feels organic, but a lot of stuff in the more mainstream wing bands about basement side Besize end up sounding terrible. This sounds like lovely and like a band like that. Bass really thick and robust, the dross, the drums have this hiss to them. This all of distortion in the symbol production which makes them feel you know, alive and in the room. And the guitars, the guitars and ice and Chunky Leeds have this cool sort of whining tones to them. I'm a big fan of It's like I say, it sounds like a band, and maybe that sounds like light praise, but it shouldn't because the production really suits the band, really suits the songs, and like I said, it's refreshing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think maybe if you look at column Kaina's promise everything, those are a little bit more like capturing the band in the room. This does have I think, like a little bit of extra intentional sort of fuzz on it, those kind of hisses and stuff that you're you're mentioning do again. They're trying to add a bit of kind of crackle onto this beyond a you know, a sleeker production like the head on the last record and beside myself, but I think you know, when you were saying about it's kind of interest that I like Basement so much when again this is not my like my absolute favorite world, but the song craft combined with there's an understated greatness about Basement all the time. Like they're not flashy or like outwardly charismatic or whatever, but their singer Andrew is a master of like dourly catchy vocal melodies like choruses that sore but also somehow feel like they're being delivered with a sigh as he does them, like their biggest song goes with You, and that's a fucking hit, you know, and they're at their best.
Speaker 3: They hit a.
Speaker 1: Sweet point between being like ultra melancholic and bizarrely sticky. There's a little bit of that flavor even in like an upbeat song like sever but it manages to make the ear worm just the downturn of Severn, you know that, just like that, Cadence is like classic basement to me, Deadweight I mentioned the chorus is so forlorn, to the point that the vocal itself seems actively to depress and like wind down until it comes to almost a sluggish halt. But then the verse like hits you back into this more steady teen But that's a cool trick that you do. And that's even a flavor in the guitar lines the opening song, time Waster somehow like the guitar riff it somehow it both seems to want you to jump up and down and slump down and cry. Somehow hit in middle point between these things that regardless of whether it is you know, super peppy like it was on Beside Myself, or very fuzzy. It is a here that sort of combination feels like the basement identity I suppose to.
Speaker 2: Me, Yeah, I'm hearing exactly what you're saying. You know, Satisfy for me sounds like a what's like a sixties do wop song but reimagined by the Pixies in the vana, like they kind of sucker all the effervescent joy of that thing, but the songs still there. You have this tasty pulp at the sense of it. It's embrace, which sounds like a kind of oasis bad in the way it's written. In the performance, it's got this kind of mogua quality where it sounds like the song's slightly too slow. It's going to like ninety five percent it's appropriate speed, and again it sounds like there might be a criticism of it's deliberately slow another the course of dead way, You're exactly right that one of my favorite things about this record is the way this band they sound completely free to change tempo in a way that a lot of bands in their scene don't like it, just for so many would be you know, maybe nervousness about losing attention by going We're going to slow down in the chorus. There's a bunch of the songs on this record that do that sort of trick, and it's it's a really cool one that's unique to them, and it's somehow doesn't make it makes the songs more exciting, not less.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like we were saying, the kind of more over driven parts, like the first song has quite heavy elements to it. You get a couple of songs further in, like the tap track right on its heels is like Nirvana circa Incesticide, you know, like just a heavy old rock kind of stage diver pick up the pieces as well. It's like rowdier in a way that is. That's one of the ones was, like I say, feels more erratic and not as clean with its hooks, even as Basement, you know, we're in the mid twenty tens, like it's there is something deliberately overblown and unkempt about it, and in a weird sort of way, maybe you could liken that too, I don't know, like the Newest Food Fighters record or something like that and what they were attempting. But Basement, have you know, a certainly a stronger handle on how to you know, not make that feel so quite as contrived, you know what I mean, And when it does continue to go further outside of what is the standard basement template is say less like it is punching above its weight to really reach something like a larger you know, kind of a level like on something like a beside myself, but almost dialing it back to follow down these kind of subcultural rabbit holes. So I'm thinking about Broken by Design is like a Sunday real estate song, you know, like one more sort of indie type of emo, you know, with like both the the vocal and the clean guitar melody both take a more kind of insular approach. And again, once again, it's not flashy. It's not really going to get a festival crowd singing along as much as their bigger songs do, but it's nice and it's cool to hear them venture there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think again another one of the strengths of this record is the variety of styles of song. And that's a great example where that I was listening to that and going that's so slight and genuine. They managed to fill the space it doesn't feel like some extended interlude, total waste of time. It's like and you can tell that they're great players fundamentally, that's what makes those songs better than a lot of bands in their field trying to do the same thing. But the fact that rubbed shoulders next to what I already said, Embrace feeling like an Oasis song seven, We already talking about that. But the way I feel maybe my favorite song of the record, and it's so like Smiley and Earnest. It kind of sounds like Japandroids. It's like, it's it's great, And then there's a lot of stuff. Almost every time, there's a couple of excepts that I'm less keen on. Almost every time they try their hand at a different style of song, they do a stand up job of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: There are a couple of parts where they, you know, they kind of shoot for something and I'm not really convinced it totally. Lands Head of Light is the one that I've noted down, which kind of it cranks up the distortion on the bass and the beat so much it's almost going for like a sort of I don't know, like an acid trip indie kind of song, you know what I mean, And that's not their strongest suit. I would say I admire again the attempts to you know, paint for these different kind of songs on this record. I do think fundamentally Basement are best when they're bringing choruses, and I would say, like the last third of this album is the lightest on that. And I wouldn't say this album in that particular level quite tops any of the three records they made in like the really great run of three records they made in the twenty tens. I would say those all you know, for that element, outpaced this one. But this is them, you know, coming back and being a little bit more adventurous maybe and not focusing so much on strictly, you know, writing those type of songs.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Hit a Lie I That to me felt very obviously like, oh, you've been listening to Foxing like you're trying to do that thing of really blown out ballline panic attack starff. But it's like if you if you can't sell that, it ends up sounding a little bit embarrassing for me. The other one was the title track, where the verses are great, that chorus fucking bothers me. I'm not sure what it is about it, just it sounds like something that will play joining the Bumper on CBBC and Basement being the as R and where they're from. Maybe it's maybe it has and it's some sort of critsynesia or something. And again you mentioned pick up the pieces the drums on that are great, and there's some cool stuff on that song. But yeah, it's these this band. I imagine a lot of their songs quite often as they do here, they're only as good as their chorus. That chorus is kind of nails down a short board. Again, I struggle to explain to myself.
Speaker 1: Necessarily slariness about it, and like I said, that's what I'm trying to U. I suppose convey the like this is different to even take a promise everything right. Twenty tens, when they were again a more like run for cover type, you know, alternate rock band, there is a slightly more whoa kind of happened to this record to encaps it the exact feeling very articulately there compared to those.
Speaker 2: Which ahead yeah, and that thing when it's done well can be fantastic. There are plenty of bands who whether singer's kind of warming all over the shop and it suits it. But Basement to me just seemed like quite a nice, polite bunch of guys. So for them, but I'm a crazy you don't know what I want to do next. It's like I probably do. Actually, I probably can predict your behavior quite comfortably. It's it comes across as a bit like he wants to be Frank Black, but he's not as weird as him fundamentally, and it feels a weird thing to mark against someone that they're not weird enough. But that is kind of how I feel listening to moments like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe a little bit, but I would say that, you know, element that we're trying to articulate there is. Maybe it's like a ten percent, you know, like it's not a dramatic shifting of their identity. And that's why the record still does, for the most part work. It's not a yeah, consideringly, all the nostalgia stuff that's going on with Color me kind in this anniverse and everything, the fact that they've come back, and it's not like it does feel like it's a return to that fan base. Maybe, but it's not just a carbon copy of that sound, and there are you know, fair evolutions in it. I think that does mean that it's maybe not as immediately infectious to like an outsider then you know either of their last like couple of records before this, it is you know, if you had put it in their catalog, it feels like it's the one for them, which at this stage, you know, coming back, you know, work it like fifteen up to twenty years even after they started, like fair enough if you're going to come back to do it for the right reasons. I wouldn't personally call it one of their very best albums, but I also crucially after all this time, I wouldn't call it a letdown. It is good to have Basement back as a you know, creatively active, relevant band. And if you've not heard the albums I made before this, maybe you just no cover from when it got virally massive. Go and listen to Promise Everything. Go listen to Preside myself. They offer some of the great flavors as well. Elliott, if you have quite enjoyed this record, do you feel like there's any chance or two if you're going back and you know, getting a little bit more out of the classic Basement records?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I will know if I had to come on and you said this is brilliant, this is the best one. Yeah, I probably wouldn't have done.
Speaker 3: But you.
Speaker 2: Know, I like this, but the previous stuff is better. That definitely has me curious, because, like I said, I like this record. I don't think it goes up against the likes of Pony and Joyce Maner the records they've had this year. But I like it as much as I remember liking Basement, and if this is weaker than those previous ones, I'm absolutely going to go and reinvestigate.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go, wired By Basement and then our bigger dog review on the more metal side is a more contemporary band, but they have rocketed up its Frozen Soul and no Place of Warmth, which is completely fucking untrue right now, isn't it. There are lots of places of extreme warmth, but you should know Frozen sol By. Now we have reviewed every one of their albums from crypt of Ice in twenty twenty one. Doesn't that sound nice? A Cryptodvice through to Glacial Domination in twenty twenty three, and now this Frozen Soul are maybe not the most particular of them, but I think in some ways they are the most archetypal of what has become the wave of popular young death metal bands in the twenty twenties, the stepping stones of like Maggot Stomp Records, to getting popular with hardcore kids, to signing to a big metal label and now getting call ins and favors from like actual genre icons. Frozen Sol's rise has been very emblematic of that particular trajectory for me. They've also been one of my preferred of those bands. I like them more than Sangue Sugarbug, I like them more than two hundred Stab Wounds. I like them more than Tribal Gaze. I think both of those first two albums are excellent for essentially straightforward, groovy, catchy death metal, the kind that makes you want to pick up a spiked mason clob on someone's head in I think that you could very much. You could come from a different angle looking for death metal that is more complicated or underground or elaborate or evil or what have you, but for striking the absolute core bulls of like what is death metal? And why do people like it?
Speaker 2: Good band Frozen Sol. Yeah, I really like Frozen Soul. The first two records excellent but in quite different way. Is the first one that murky, frosty sort of thing, and then the second one with that matthe heathw production way bigger and crisp, and I like the space they operate where they're not the most extreme any one thing, but they're not the nastiest, they're not the most pure are they're not the most disgusting, they're not the most ambitious or whatever it is. They just lean on the sort of commercial glory days of death Mel, like the Covenant, like Bolt Thrower, Heartwork, all of that sort of thing. Big Columbia Records Death Mel feels like the thing that they lean on, and it's nice that there's a band who are able to do that without sounding like, you know, a lighter, less interesting, less flavors and version than their peers, because they've got not just the frost thing when you can tell you're listening to frozen soul when you're listening to them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and they have made like clear for what you could describe as quite meat and potatoes sat They have made clear like jumps between each record, which not every band with a similar sort of you could describe that kind of sound, you know, makes those kind of leaps, because, as you're saying, Cryptovice, I think is probably still my favorite hour of theirs. When it comes down to it, that feel of like the cold school death metal as they describe themselves, where it is like some big prehistoric monster thoring out of a block of ice. I do think that is more than a gimmick because they evoke that really well. Like even the vocalist Chad, there is something about his growls where he sounds like he's huffing out big icy breaths crystallizing in the air, you know what I mean. And that first record gets it really well. It's the purest form of Frozen Soul, but glacial domination when it came to going you know a little more as you say, a little more like Mayhem. Thest above Ground co produced by Met Hafi, Glossier sounds stronger emphasis on the melody at times, even sort of like a monomath adjacent I think that was the right way to go about that particular step, I suppose if they were going to take it, because it didn't alienate the core things I liked about Frozen Soul, and it made that transition well. This album no place of warmth. It is the most openly we are a popular band now Frozen Soul have ever been. You know, when you look at the track list and some of the features they're calling in on it, this is only a buzz band could have had the capability to make this record. And I have started to see, you know, there was already a wing of death metal fans that aren't interested in these more you know, hardcore crowd adjacent death metal bands. I would rather listen to Necrofar instead. But particularly in the build up to this record, I've seen in certain areas like a real backlash against Frozen Soul and you know, again this kind of meat a potato style and what this record might be doing. This is a third Frozen Sol album that I do like. I still think that they are a good band worth keeping up with. Unlike the first two, I have some problems with this one that do cap my enjoyment of it.
Speaker 2: I'm again I'm the same. I was wondering if I was going to come on and be the Debbie Downer this time around, but there is stuff about this record that I think is great. I am noticeably less keen this time around than I was on the last two, I'm be curious to see if it's the same stuff.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, so positives. First of all, Frozen Soul can fucking groove. Like that is when you're saying they're not the most puerile or brutal or whatever, I think that is their superpower as a death metal band. Like they're obviously not the most technical or brutal or the most scummy and evil, but they can groove and they make you involuntarily bob your head. Of all the bands doing like the bolt Thrower, you know, tank groove with the heavy rolling double bass, they have always been one of the chief inheritors of that. We're now an interesting point where we're hearing what that groove sounds like wild transfigurated into like a bigger band, you know, and that is that was part of what I enjoyed about Glacial Demonation, and to an extent that's still true. Here I mentioned the guest features, which I suppose are the immediate like headline grabbing thing about this, like when this particular single came out and then the week that he came out to perform it with them, as well. Gerard Way adding, like another extreme metal guest feature under his belt after you know, the black metal dalliance on the Ibaraki record. I like that he's clearly interested in and engaged with extreme metal and he wants a trying out and going like death metal on the title track, Well give big of that. It's definitely And what were saying about the features on this, they are things that no other deafinitteal.
Speaker 3: Record quite has. Features like this Gerard feature.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think he's got the best feature of the lot, and it's quite agree it doesn't if you didn't know that was Gerard Way, you have no way of working it out because he's not sung on this like this on anything popular, and even on the Ibraqi record, he's not doing this kind of gnulled, more necrotic style that he's doing. It's funny that, like, we live in a world where if you want to get a bath to do a guest feature on your record, you're actually pretty better off getting Gerard Way because he kind of is a similar thing, and he's more available and he's brilliant. I think that the test of a great guest vocal, and this might come up again later, is if it sounds different enough to be worth doing in the first place, but coherent enough to not feel disconnected. And the way that he comes in, even for just his pair of lines, he just adds this sort of like characterfulness to the song, and especially as the open I think that's great because the band with the riff and the like the sort of annual morricone thing intro at the beginning, they've done a lot of the world building and just having this voice come out of the darkness and sort of wretched at you for a couple of lines and know Hing's Gerard way, it is a really inviting an impressive way to open the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the chorus in that song from Chad is great as well, and like really legible, Like I think he's worked on his diction and that you know, no mercy, no peace in this moment, you have.
Speaker 3: No power over me. That's killer. But jeredd I agree.
Speaker 1: Like there's another feature letter on with the guy from Sangue Sugarbok, and that is more like the kind of feature that you were saying that it fits in the world, but it doesn't jump out right because it's another you know, similarly brutal death metal guy.
Speaker 3: Whereas this one it is cohesive in the world.
Speaker 1: But it really leaps out at you and it makes the you know, because he has a completely different voice, really abrasive, works really really well and like straight into a two step part as well. The flip side of the one that like really stands out is Rob Flynn on invoke War and he is like not trying to do a you know, a voice. He's doing the typical Rob Flynn start low and then you raise your talking. But I said, which I know that we hate so many bands doing that. Rob Flynn, I feel like, is one of the people who owns that right, Like he was doing that in the nineties, so we're not demanding that he changes it. It's weird hearing it in a death metal record. I don't dislike it. I don't know if you're about to to maybe say you do dislike it, I'm not sure. But it is like it's the most like this is weird, and it's like it's bizarre to be saying that Rob Flynn is a more odd fit on the metal record than.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: On one hand, it's cool, like the first time you're hearing you kind of smile and go, yeah, there's Rob Flynn and he's he's on these on the death Metal record, it also sounds pretty fucking stupid. I've got to be honest, Like the time that comes in on the realistens, it's like, Rob, this is like I know what you're saying, Like we'll let him off for doing it, because he did pioneer it, but it just it sounds dark now. It's it sounds silly even on Machine Head records, when he's coming in on this frozen Soul thing. If it was more like he's bombarded it more than was invited, it doesn't really add any I don't know, tension or even necessarily flavor. It's it's I'm listening to that. It's more it feels more like an interruption. It's like a weird cameo in a film. So, oh fuck Rob Flynn, right, okay, it's it kind of ejects me out of the record, which I don't know. Maybe if it was later in the record, they'd be more built up for me to stick around for. But track two that does feel a bit I don't know, a drastic.
Speaker 1: I mean it's bold as well to or more like it's trying to really, you know, make a statement with them that it's got those two songs with you know, the two celebrities on it basically you know, is track one and track two. Again, I don't mind the Robin so much. The Gerrard one is great and there are moments of what amounts you like rockstar energy in a definite record. I think Eyes of Despair, the shred that kicks it off is wicked because it has that like Texas crossover thrash energy that is part of the scene they're around with, Like you know, we mentioned on the New Show last week the Iron Age cover with one of the guitarist from Frozen Soul on it like that kind of like Texas crossover hardcore thrash is like part of their DNA because they're you know, in and around that scene and hearing it through come through on a death metal song like that is is killer. You also still have the mosh factor is very much up Ethereal Dreams, Death Weather, Skinned by the Wind, which is just a Mortician song like that is just a minute and a half of the spirit of wil Rama coming to raid their fridge for beers. A lot of this record does have that, like Mortician, you know, directly into beat down, pit ready kind of slam dance parts, you know, being funneled through this large again death metal filter. Some death metal heads might not want that, but it's a trick that does essentially work. The gloriously named Killing Time until It's Time to Kill at the end, which has a hook that is so genuinely gangster.
Speaker 3: Born to chill but bread to kill, I'm killing.
Speaker 1: Time and Dylan to Gil that is put plainly the most swagged out death metal song of the year.
Speaker 2: That is that could be a guass song. I love it. It's a I mean, the song's I knew I loved it, but it's a cool way to end the record by going a bit sort of rock and roll and swinging at the end like rue. Yeah. There's rockstar energy across the record, but leaning into it so hard on the last song. It's badass and it's so unlike anything else on the record. It's just it's so much fun. I almost wish they didn't save it for the end because it, for the other hand, it doesn't end the album. Want to high Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like it at the end because there is something a bit more you know, openly humorous about it, and it feels, you know, we've done the corn Special right almost the Glory Days. If you go back and you reach the end, it's like, oh, they having a bit of a laugh. But it also is, unlike a lot of those cool ones, is a genuinely sick song.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You've got Absolute Zero as well, which was the pre release song that we spoke about that condenses the frozen soul sound into a fifty three second slam piece. Basically, it's so short that when I first heard it, you know, as the single, my major shortcoming the album wasn't really so apparent. But that is a great little blast. My primary problem with this and why I'm a bit reluctant to super endorse it as much as I like, you know, some of the actual songs on this this production was a massive mistake. Like I said, the last album co produced by Matt Hayfey, and they somehow there struck a balance between sounding like a big popular metal band and still being a heavy death metal band. This one, they've gone to Josh Schroeder, who most recently has become known for being one of the go to guys for the current wave of big death core bands. Like most obviously, he's produced the last few Lorna Shaw albums, but he's also done Mental Cruelty Signs, the Swarm of Sulfur like loads those bands. He's one of their guys. And as much as there are things that you know, we admire and compliment about Lorna Shaw, we have been sticklers for how their albums sound a little bit and it doesn't fit Frozen Soul at all because they've not even got the excess that a Lorna Shaw can mask it up with. You know, They've got like the little bits of you know, playing with eighties horror films, so synthatros and stuff like that, but that's not you know, the Lorna Shaw symphonics plastering everything. What you have the core fundamentals of, like guitar, drums, bass is what Frozen Souls bread and butter is. And the word I keep coming back to for this is plasticky, Like the drum sound is bad, like plastic snare, clicky bass.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this is one of my two major issues, but maybe the most major of them. It just it sucks so much of the atmosphere out of the record for such a huge part about the first to where as much as they are hulking and as much as they are groovy and catch and all of that stuff, that feeling of it legitimately being cold is just kind of gone here. It insists upon how cold it is more than actually feels that way. And it means that a song like Skinned by the Wind musically, You're right, sounds like Mortician. That song will hijack your taxi. But with this production job, it's just kind of sounds tame and not nearly as dangerous as any Mortician song, which sounds like shit technically but perfect for the thing that is. It ends up just making the record sound sort of sluggish and dead. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want death metal to have guts to it, you know, and this sounds thin like it doesn't have that depth to it. And because even as the odd bit on it where they go for a sort of like sub drop pish, you know, like big explosion moment and they clip the mix like Eyes to Despair, which I mentioned as being one of the better songs, has one in it, the drop bit right at the end sounds like it glitches, like it's not layered I executed well within the mix at all. I'm actually quite surprised like that someone let that go out you know, like on a professional sounding record, because it's not the thing of you know, a you know, this is a too shiny, too professional mix. Now there are things on it which sound more amateurish than when they were more DIY, you know, because how do you let that like awful again and kind of drop moment that breaks the like comprehension of the sound go out. But to me it's it's it's all about before. But how like there was a post to the hell Fire where suddenly every Death Course song it was just a competition to see who could have the most laughable breakdown part.
Speaker 2: This doesn't quite do that. But there are parts of this record I thought, this feels like it's been written for someone to react to on twitch where it's like if I pull the face at this part and go, oh my god, that's so loud and so heavy, it doesn't really matter if it has much weight to it or much of a pulse. It's just is they said. The loudness feels like it's compensated for something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the chorus and the song frost fags as well, like somehow starts like buzzing like almost randomly, I don't know why, like it should be a more professional, leveled out production job, but actually sounds less. So it's really weird and it's kind of unpleasant and not in a way I want my death metal to be unpleasant, you know. And the core pleasure of Frozen Soul being this like hulking, you know, blood soaked mass writhing out of the ice, slithering around you.
Speaker 3: The riffs are still good, Chad is still one.
Speaker 1: Of the best, most recognizable vocalists of this crop, I think, but that pleasure is lessened with the recording being so obnoxious. What was your other You're saying you've got two primary problems with this. For me, the production is really the main one. What's your kind of other problem? Is what you were just sort of suggesting with the leaning more on the that's called on the twitch moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's connected to that. I mean, fundamentally, I think this record's too slow, which I know is really shitty things to say, but it's like like you said at the top, but like, they're so good at the hulk and the groove that I can understand why they would want to lean into that and do more of it. The songs here just so many of them feel like they don't get going, and it means it sounds like thirty five minutes long, and so much of it feels like a slog. And I just think that when you have those moments on previous records are so effective, when it really slams into me and it goes full you know, Bolt Thrower, Pantera, all that sort of thing, like Machine had that kind of influence. If that's only effective if you have some speed and some nimbleness to counter out those big punch moments when the whole song is just sort of going like dug a gun, dug a gun, dug a gun, and then the next song is going done, get gun, done, gig. It just it means that for me, like there's kind there's no real tension, and that the sensation of how heavy and powerful it is, especially not helped by the production job, is kind of gone three songs in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand what you're saying. I do think, well, that's what you know. Cryptovice, for example, did so well that kind of you know, the balance of those elements that.
Speaker 3: You're talking about there.
Speaker 1: For me, I'm at sort of an impasse with this where I like a lot of what they're playing here, it's still like they have a sound, and it still sounds like them. There is much to enjoy and I hope that Frozen Sou will keep up, you know, the momentum that they've got behind them. But this is the worst that that sound has sounded for them because they're not being complimented and popular death metal bands, please do not go with the trendy death core producers or anyone who's going to add a bit of octane into your sound or whatever. It does not make you sound good like You should embrace sounding like a real death metal band because that's what people like you for, you know. And yeah, like I said, I do still enjoy a lot of the record. Killing time until It's time to kill is a stone cold jam, right, But I do wish that I liked this record as much as they do their prior too, And there is a primary, like you know, reasons what I can point to is to be like that you should change next time around. But there you go, Frozen Soul, no place of warmth. We leave that behind to go to Haggard Cat and the Pain The Orbits. Haggard Cat, if you are not familiar, are a two piece made up of Matt and Tom, who respectively were the frontman and drummer of Heck Slash Baby Godzilla. Heck, the fantastic modern Matthey hardcore band who in twenty sixteen released one brilliant album and then unfortunately split up. They performed on and off to do isolated shows. They're playing what I think might be actually their proper final show at ARP Tangent this year. Aside from one random single that appeared a few years ago and gave us some hope before they disappeared again. Creatively, that band seems to be fully done now. Haggard Cat is the project that emerged in the immediate aftermath of Heck with half of those guys doing something, but it was a fairly different prospect.
Speaker 3: Elliott.
Speaker 1: We will share an appreciation for Heck. I must say the first two Haggard Cat albums that appeared in twenty eighteen and twenty twenty. Long gap between those one and you know this resurfacing now. I did not really go with Haggard Cat. I didn't mind them, but in terms of actually being you know, grabbed by what they were doing, in acting with them in a meaningful way, it didn't happen, and It wasn't that just oh it doesn't sound like heck or whatever you might say, because it made sense that breaking up that band you would do something different. But personally, for me, it was a case of, you know, I give you my blessing and I let you go, rather than being really drawn to go with them. Were you any different with Haggard Cat?
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's gonna sell like I'm copying you again, because.
Speaker 1: That's at some point today we have to disagree.
Speaker 2: That is that was? That was exactly my experience. It was for me, it was similar to when the six eight came out after the Chariot and it was like, we have a sharrier and now we have the six A, and that's I'm not I'm not a fan of the six or much worse than that fever three through three after let there is there is a if.
Speaker 3: We should not compare Haggard Cat too, that would.
Speaker 2: Be so especially it gets out of the moment for me, like that starle of sort of garage punk has pretty little appeal to me anyway, Like the absolute classics of that genre I like, but the two piece sort of bass player drama drama, I just find it that exciting even though it's best and I thought the Haggard Cat records were maybe better than a lot of stuff in that scene. But like you said, I just kind of went, it's not as remarkable as Heck was. You guys, you know, good luck with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And as you're saying, they've they've gone from the kind of math core side of what they're doing with Heck into this more like really noisy, sort of blues rock thing with Haggard Cat. This album a lot more, you know, in the making than those other ones. Obviously, it's their first album post COVID they have resurfaced. And because I didn't really have any you know, anticipation for a Haggard Cat album, because I've been lukewarm on them historically, I was really taken aback when I heard this one, because it is it is doing something different, I think, and if you are someone who feels like you might know where you sit oh in Haggard Cat. The reason I wanted to review this is to go do check this out if you were gonna otherwise skip over it, because this feels like Haggard Cat shooting their shot to really make something out there and gonzo, you know what, I mean, this.
Speaker 2: Feels a bit like when Dinosaur Pile Up did celebrit Mansions, where it was like, oh, like this band you've kind of had been around, but it didn't seem like people were that excited by it. Making something really bold and fun and off the wall and throwing stuff in that you would never normally associate with this style of music and pulling it off. And I think this record kind of does that. Like it's I went in just purely expecting a sort of Queens of the Stone Age, you know, fu Man Chewy, that sort of thing, kind of the Black Keys, but hardcore. This has got all sorts of stuff in it.
Speaker 3: Nuts this record.
Speaker 2: Fundamentally, I was like the band names I was writing down to draw comparisons from, I thought I'd have maybe four at the end of it. They were like twenty bands that were come into mind, and some of them, again I would never have associated them with Haggard Cat before this record, but it's all here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this it sturns its feet in what Haggard Cat were. But they have just somehow, for some you know, decision or whatever, they've blown up the boundaries of what was going on with that band on this record. It's much more massively minded, and I was thinking about, I don't know if this is a band one of the twenty you've written down. I was thinking about cave In a lot during this, and the jumps that they made from their earlier stuff into now we're going to be a space rock band and we're going to play prog. Except this is still so noisy at the same time as doing that, It's like if cave In were a malfunctioning robot or had like an anthetamine field meltdown. Like this is a nutty, nutty record. The first sound you hear on it is like science Museum. I'm in the observatory looking at the stars, synth oscillations and like again, kind of cave In e league guitar, and then you know, the riff comes in and it does rock in the way that you know both parts of the Heck record, and obviously Haggard Cat can plainly rock with a thick, old groove, but it feels at the beginning like you are, you know, clicking your starship into gear, and you can sense that there is going to be more to where this record is going to take you right from the opening seconds of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, That's when I was completely caught off guard because like that riff kind of in the mold of things like refused at the drive and you can see where the influence has come from. But there's these layered techno bits, which not only is the weird for a band of this style, but just the makeup of them. It's a two piece bass player on a drama and obviously a studio project. There's a different or maybe a lack thereof of limitations there. But it just felt like they were throwing so much more at it, and it meant that the whole thing feel was more exciting, where that things are playing off each other in the way that they haven't done on previous Haggard Cat records, where when his vocal performance is elevating and there's now sort of these panic inducing sour synths to go along with it, it's so much more colorful than any other material I've heard from them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this is one of the most You are brave as a two piece to be putting this many layers into your record album that you could possibly hear like, how the fuck are you going to try and pull all this off? Because it is jam packed, like absolutely spilling over with ideas a lot of the time, Like these songs have the core amount of ideas that they would have for the conventional song of their run time, and then they somehow jam an extra few minutes worth into like what was on top of already there. And like I said, these like you know, proggy post hardcore bands, I suppose is the main kind of realm that you're drawing through, but also some of the more hard rock stuff as well. Like during the track Saw, I was thinking, if you miss Black Peaks and that kind of progressively minded post hardcore, you might get a bit of it from a riff like that track. It has that kind of majestic gate to it. And then you've got a song like Apnea, which is this really odd ball off kilter drum and guitar groove that starts off a song that's nearly eight minutes long, and it goes through some crazy passages like really slinging out guitar parts left, right and center. The mega like stoner blues riff that it arrives at at five minutes in that it like marches through to the end with is wicked. But by the point it reaches that and you can just glide out on that rift. It feels like it has like whipped you around with no concern for your well being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if that song relyminds me at aol in a way, that tool will like an idea for ages. They somehow managed to create that feeling while throwing loads of stuff at you, because it's not eight minutes of this you know, seven eight groove that hypnotizes you. It's this is more like undertow kind of tool, where it's you know, it's it's the dynamics of that thing and throwing different stuff out you and having these discord and passages mapped up next to these quite ellergic ones, which again really took me by surprise and some of the maybe this is a more direct reference, but I was saying, this reminds you of like Hawkeyes and Black Peaks, and like the sort of early twenty tens bands of this kind that we had here in Britain, who you know, in the case of both of those bands seems to have gone away And like you say, eight minutes long and it's captivating the whole time. It's they've got a few of those on this recer, not necessarily all long, but in the way that they're throwing things out there like halcion. This is a bit nerdy, I warn you now. But I was reading the other day about how Circumstances by Rush has nine time signature changes in its first eleven measures, and I was listening to and I was like, oh my god, they're I'd never noticed that. You have no idea listening to it because it works so naturally. This has a bit of that where it's like, I'm not sure what the riff quote unquote of that song is, but it also seems to repeat a lot, but it's different every single time without tripping over itself to be complex. It's I think that's again it's a that's a side of quality and man's like this or like with songwriters of this style and they've got it.
Speaker 1: And that song also has a rave synth in it, Like you've said all that that song, I've not spoken about how glowed sticks, the synth part.
Speaker 2: Woodblocks and the scrapy fish from music Class. It's just like everything everything's on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what there isn't really with this record is that much concern for making it more accessible. I suppose, like you know, we were saying this about basement. This is unshamedly noisy and abrasive. The hooks that do exist from matter are often like, you know, gargling, I hate it here or whatever. There's a bit in the After Love where he's briefly stuck in a wash cycle like genuinely turns into like an android. He is howling in your ear the whole way. Even when he does sing sometimes it's weirdly kind of left field. There's a song Landscapes he goes a bit never more like that's not what it's expected to write down. But they do their proga bettle ballad on Landscapes and that's weird as fuck. But with all of the you know, space rock production overload, it's like blasting a lot into your ear at any given time. And I say, this is you could categorize it as Haggard Cat's rock album, but it's not Sorry, their prog album. But it's not like they've toned down the chaos for that. If anything, it is more overwhelming for being so Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I saw this was fifty minutes long, part, we thought, ah, this is gonna be you know, repetitive, and it's gonna be a bit conbersome. Yeah, it's almost the opposite, or that's kind of true, bit of different way. It's like fifty minutes now when I look at that and go, this is this is an ordeal because it's gonna be so much stuff around me in that time, it's gonna be no time to come up for air. And as a run of songs like these songs aren't you know, there's ten of them, it's fifty minutes songs. These songs aren't, which again typical of this sort of band. That's just because they go all over the place, and like the first couple of listens, I was trying to track which parts belongs to which song, and I just I love that freedom of songwriting they've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And maybe it's because they are, you know, spicing up and varying it with these other insane ideas as well. But I feel like the rock stuff on this has kind of hit me harder as well, Like the Afterlove kind of reminds me of like the Hunter era Mastodon stoner grooves but with like hand claps in particularly right near the end in between some again Goliath songs, you get a little ditty called war Paths, which is your like rock and roll hardcore, you know every Time I Die, you know, the great hardcorese Windle Banger. But there's also like a UFO fifties theremine in it. It's like tailing after you know what I mean. But that stuff really really works. But then you have right after that the closing track, Zion, which is another Goliath, and it starts genuine epic heavy metal, like it's going to be a chemist song before going full galact post hardcore with a genuinely pretty fucking unreal guitar solo at the end of it. And that track and its totality and all the places that goes to it did make me think like, yeah, remember how amazing see the Old Lady was at the end of Instructions by Heck, Like these guys are capable of like fucking pushing the boat out and going maximalist, and you know, Instructions did show this aptitude for doing much more like multi dimensioned, you know, elaborate songs, and it kind of feels like, if you know, Baby Godzilla was what they needed to do to build up to then that with Heck, maybe it's the case at the first couple Haggard Cat albums have now built to a similar equivalent of like, now, using these tools we've got, we are going to fucking try for something. And wonder if there's also a degree of you know, these guys going back to Heck and then going back to Baby Godzilla and even other bands they might have had before that. I don't know, Like, these guys have been warriors of the underground basically for like fifteen odd years, you know, and they've not had apart from a brief stint either not opening a kerrangt or whatever, they've not had like re broad mainstream success. But they are still here. And at what stage do you go, you know, particularly making your first ab in six years, why not go crazy and like try and you know, make something that hasn't been made before. And as a result, this is like definitely the best most engaging thing the Haggard Cat has done today. So absolutely fair play to them.
Speaker 2: Oh fully agree totally. Again, I think you now about those bands I was comparing them to earlier, is the six say you listen, I go the Chariot was so wild and unhinged and adventurous, and you've just come out with this cumbersome, uninteresting like blues noise rock band and I Fever three through three the worst example of it ever. What's gone here? Let's find the one thing about let live which isn't really cool and just do that forever and make it more stupid, which is just not a strategy. Haggard Cat kind of leaning all the way in on the bluesy punk thing that that is a flavor in Heck for certainly not the thing they do, and then going Okay, now that we've sort of completed that, let's bring it back in some of the a lot of the adventurousness that we had in that band and what made Heck so exciting. And now Haggard Cat, I've gone from a band who I don't I couldn't really care less about frankly so now in a couple of years and another record's coming, I don't know what it's going to be. I don't know how far they're going to take this. And to make that turnaround with one album is I'm seriously impressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you have ever liked any of these guys works from any of their projects, I think you should check this one out because it does feel like the next milestone maybe to come from their particular you know, combined creative universe. And if you do like bands like cave In or Mastodon or Black Peaks, like anything with that you know, galactic approach to heavy prog, then you should also definitely investigate the new album from Haggard Cat which is called The Pain That Orbits. And if that was a bit weird, next review, we are going in some really unknown territory.
Speaker 3: This band is.
Speaker 1: Called fire Tools with a Z and the album is called Lavendon Networks. Elliot suggested that it might be interested if we cover this. I had not heard of it until you brought it up, which it turns out is because all of the buzz that exists around this is not located in the traditional rock world. There is metal in this, else we wouldn't be covering it. But to give you idea of where this comes from, this is this project's first album for Warp Records, which is the iconic electronic music label associated with the likes of Aphex, Twin Boards of Canada and Square Pusher. What's the deal with fire Tools and why did you think to put the towrd?
Speaker 2: I was looking for records to throw into the reviews bag for this and I checked all the metal size and the rock sites that I occasionally frequency what's out, and there wasn't a ton that we weren't already talking about that was leaping out of me. And then overall like radio music spoiling music, which I'll occasionally check just to see some scores, but I don't live there. There was just this wave of interest for this. I was a experimental grime core or like metal. It was something like that, and I'm not seen a word about it anywhere else. But he had these super high scores and the praise that was being alloush to fin out the thing that it was describing, which you know it gets to in a moment. It sounded fascinating, and it was completely removed from the rock and metal circles that you'd, you know, typically imagine something like this would would operate in. And that's you know, that's happened more and more recently. There's stuff that's happening in rock and metal that we're not interested in that's become super popular. But to see that happening for an underground band, I think that might be new.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if I was to, I guess try and liken it to anything that is in you know, the T and M past ouver of stuff that we have covered that you might like if you enjoyed the Blind Equation album we reviewed last year, and that like hyper online way it fused black metal and scream oh with like glitchy digital Internet aid electronic programming. That's the one thing that I could think of that again that we have covered before that you might you know, come from a similar place, but this is almost coming from the like the other side of that fence, so to speak, you know, moving towards.
Speaker 3: Us rather than than outwards.
Speaker 1: Like the Apple Music descriptor for this album listed as scream o, vapor wave, prog rock, and IDM, which is a mad bunch of words that might nonetheless actually give you a better idea of what it is. Fire Tools as a project has apparently going for like a good decade or so, coming up through the early vapor wave scene in the twenty tens, which might be a surprise, not seeing I was in on I've got no fucking clue what might have been going on back then. Here's a question never asked on TNN before. Where you a vapor wave guy?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't go as far to describe myself as a vapor wave guy, but that would be a stretch. But I do like that Macintosh Plus album, which I think is like the Black album for that thing, and I like.
Speaker 1: That the vapor Wave Black album brilliant. Yeah, that I suppose is where this project maybe started, but it's evolved here, as we say, into something much more cross genre pollinating, you know, IDM, the world of AFX, twin and Square Butter, et cetera. But also then, not only I think, does this have the extreme metally you know, hardcore cybergrime whatever side of things that's not too new, like lots of nerves on the Internet, like those things and what to glitch them up like that's not necessarily actually much of surprise these days. The thing that most of the about about this is you've got all of that, and then also the prog where this has two bookend songs that are around seven to eight minutes long, and the eight tracks in between do more violently sort of you know, theear back and forth between like very heavy and then very dreamy. The first song particularly though, which you know, all of these songs have like stupid gibberish song titles because it's the Internet but like, you know, try reading the second track on this album out loud. The brain will rot out of your head. But that first song starts with like lovely Brian Enoe ambient music until it hits this massive wall of not just black metal screams, but like Toto keyboards or eighties rush or dare I say it, dream theater, Like I feel like I'm listening to a Reddit translation of images and words there it's mental.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because again saying progue, someone listens to this might go, oh, it's so like King Crimson. It's going to be that sort of extreme. It's like, no, this is like the more yacht rock and the it's bordline like just guitar virtue. Also stuff like Eric Johnson, which you just put it on in the Background's nice, shiny, shimmery.
Speaker 1: It's holding fire more than twenty one twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, And and if you're anything like me, that's absolutely no bad thing. We're more than happy to have some hold of fire injects into any album of any style. And that was the thing where I put this on and I went in not really skeptical, but going, you know, if this is purely just interesting to people outside of rock and met What does that say about it? The quality of that element at least is really good. Like it's it's really well done. You can tell it's done with by someone who loves that styling music. I mean, you wouldn't put it in there if you didn't love it. But it adds so much color and dexterity to the sound where stuff which is in theory more mellow and more like pop orited where you're trying to bring the energy down just layering it with shreddy, bleepy blue pee gazars. I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 1: And again just to reiterate, there is still an actual extreme metal album that's often happening kind of simultaneously to these parts. But it is those those prog sounds, whether it be the flutes or those like hyper glossy aor style keyboards finding their way through this cyber dimension that I don't know if you're familiar that there's a very niche sub scene of electronic music that I've discovered lately that's trying to evoke the very specific sensation of like nineties nature education CD ROMs like Dawling Kindersley Eyewitness stuff that that kind of nostalgic tone of like I'm learning about science. Like go and listen to the ep Virtua by Trendy Trendy if that sounds like it's going to send you on some kind of nostalter trip. But there's a little bit of that flavor in here where it's like whoa, I mean the I mean the rainforest. You know. It as like those kind of prog flavors to it, and a lot of that first song is very serene in a nice way. Some of those short tracks, like I say, the more intense.
Speaker 3: Elements come out.
Speaker 1: Balam, which is what I'll call track two, is like a big electro beat with a screen vocal on it, maybe more akin to like a one hundred gex or something like that. But it also then starts blasting with these like diggy metalcore kind of riffs. But all the while one of those eighties prog metal League guitars is like flying over that like cybergrind feel, and so despite the glitchiness and the intensity, there is still something quite graceful and serene to it. The ocean Gratitude is like the grindcore band Gridlink, but they are playing sonic Green Hills level that rips, and that's before the smooth jazz solo comes in, the sack solo.
Speaker 2: I've said it before. The test of these things, the things that marks the great bands out from just the merely good ones, is if you can weave those things together and maintain a sort of thread through the different stars. That's the test.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I think this succeeds that. I mean, if you have this one like the Ocean Gratitude Ballam Purse examples, where they're often very extreme, very noisy, very discordant, but there's gorgeous melodies. Although it Kissed the Kiss the Bladed cat Is it sounds like a haunted house in a Sega game, but it's got that like vile black metal wretch over the top of it, and yet the pretty stuff on that it's shimmering all over the shop. It's, you know, sort of Barbie dream house like directed PC games, sort of mid two thousands esthetic. It's the amalgam of things works surprisingly well considering in theory, and they couldn't be more disparate from one another. You'd think it would have to be stop start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if there is like a super coherent world to the record beyond like the experimentation of like I am, you know, deep in a like Windows Vista wallpaper where things are melting. I don't know, like that Kiss the Blading Cat song. It sounds like the vinyl record containing a horror movie score is melting in the heat, you know, and the sound is warping and it's it's very weird. And there are these songs in the middle that are much more Nightmary noise, like code Name, Sparkly Lagoon Landline brings them a riff that is so stupid because sometimes we use terms like sludge or swampy or whatever to convey the feeling of a rift, but like literally that sounds like sludge, like it literally squelches. There's some kind of effect on what is basically like sort of low beat down riff that makes it sound like farting liquid, you know, and the vocal has similarly been distorted into like a toilet slam kind of fart sound. And then somehow that being the basis that you're going to try and build this like mental New Age magic of learning about nature, you know, keyboard part off the top of it is unconventional. I don't know how much it does cohere to something beyond being weird as fuck, but I do applaud it, and there are the points where it goes again full on embraces that like color and the New Age stuff like and Where's the Heart is just a dig prog song basically where it's the kind of music where somehow in the confines of that track you can envision someone wearing corpse paint and then also someone playing the pan pipes and they have a little dance together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that song was really Disney. It sounds that something from in canto, but it's been fed through a shredder or something. It's it's a really wild and again, like just the ability to go that far with it is what impresses me because it's I think if this was just all the things happening at once for the duration of the record, that would get pretty tedious. But it's the way that they as much as they're willing to pick things up, they're just as willing to drop them because there's nothing really extreme in that song. It's it's just glitched up and you know, distorted and fucked about within glitchy. It's it's not like they've put loads of extreme metal into it, and I like that when they lean into something like that, they really lean into it and don't feel the obligation to, you know, counterbalance it with something for the metal heads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a very strange time. I think for me, maybe raws a record it's more an academic listen rather than something I'm regularly putting on a pleasure. But it is a fascinating little record, and you know, I'm not expecting fire Tools to turn up a download or even a Damnation anytime soon, right, there is definitely something about this where it is what we specialize in plays, but one small part of it. It's one of those kind of genreles albums that the Internet has, you know, started to produce. But if you are into you know, IDM futuristic yet simultaneously nostalgic like electronic stuff, and you are interested in an extreme prog metal twist, you might not be aware of this record coming from the rock breast, so check it out. It's unique. At least fire Tools lave of the networks. We are going to dial a little bit deeper into the punk world next with a band called Prison Near de Tomp with pro De le Purvois Parlor Force. This was a real last minute edition to the schedule. I literally came across this about two days ago and I sprung it on Elliott fairly last minute. But for those two days that I've had this, I have listened to it many times over. Not that that's too hard a thing considering the length of it, but I just thought, we've got a slot and this record is fucking great, so I'm going to just use this as a recommendation real quick. I was looking for punk releases. Basically, I was like, I'm going to look for around for a decent punk album, and I decided to check in on the recent label releases of La Vida s Unmos Discos, which is the label that puts out home Front last year, and I found in their recent releases from a couple of weeks ago this little treat of an album. Obviously, as you might be able to gather from the name, this is a French OI record, a one man project. It turns out it's a guy called Jackie Cadu. That's him on the cover, I assume. And I would just say, if you are enjoying this recent wave of like great OI punk records that have been coming out very much check in on this because while you know, not as genre blending as like a Home Front or a Poison Ruin, for example, there is a really lovely, still quite dynamic touch to this that makes its twenty four minute runtime more engaging than merely twenty four minutes of like you know, no nonsense oil punk that just gets in and out. There is a similar outside the box sort of thinking at times to this. It's just a real delight and the foundation to it is still you know, very much to the point this style of music. So if you have any fondness for this kind of thing, I think you will be in and comfy. From the very first listen, we are talking slamming punk beats and extremely rowdy shout a long hooks, just all in French on this one. And these songs are absolutely righteous, blazing, anti fascist punk songs. The album title translates as seizing power by force, and you have La liberte so pla song which translates to freedom is Obtained by Blood and that song which is tracked two in the record, honestly literally, from my very first listen of the very first chorus on it, I didn't have to finish the song. I was already singing along and this is a song that isn't even in my native language, but that you know, Lala song is so catchy and so stirring like that is from listen one up there with like Lily of the Valley as the most infectious punk songs of this year. And going through this record again and again the eight tracks on it, I think this record fucking rips.
Speaker 3: Elliott.
Speaker 1: Having this, you know, handed over to you, you know, shortly before we were putting this reviews back together, did you also have fun with it? I have a suspicion that you might have, because this is a kind of punk that we very rarely perfect about.
Speaker 2: To be honest, Yeah, I just I love this style of music. I'm getting more and more in love with it as times, especially in the las few years, basically post Poison Ruin. I like discovering that band and then going back and hearing all the stuff that was influenced by them, and then Cox Sparrow last summer. It's been a very good tign. This thing fucking rocks. It's it's so good, like I the for the thing that it is, which is actually, like you said, quite varied and quite bolding. What it takes from it's pretty much perfect. I'm starting to believe that eight songs is how long all albums should be. For whatever reason about how long those songs are, there's something about eight songs that just makes sense. These songs are extremely hooky, so rousing, like punk songs that could come out anytime in the last fifty years and would sound just as tremendous as life affirming. It's absolutely sublime.
Speaker 1: The choruses are just so infectious, like the way that they in that Oi fashion, you know, regardless of language, just absolutely slam into your head and just get you going and lift you up. But also some of the other flavors that are sprinkling over the top. This record has a particularly bright sound the instrumentation I think that makes me think of like the acoustics at the start of the opening track probably go down an easy treat if you are into like the folk punk or even like mending as the type scenes you know, just before those oi drums cuts start coming in and go and get that skid daddling sound of them, which is just loads of fun. The fifth track, Dnier Regard just has the brightest ray of sunshine of guitar riff with this just you know, insistent Oi hook of.
Speaker 3: The d regard over what is this?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Ah? Incredible? Absolutely, we've had frozen soul. We're gonna have another quite snow coated record in a little while. This has been my heat wave record for the week, right, Like this is exactly what has been going on. This is just so again sunglazed and bright and uplifting.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that the Dania regard and that and the song after it, Dan's Ladulia. That's definitely not right. The long title one track six. I think it is one band I hit a lot of on this, and I wouldn't surprised if it was a direct, direct influence. Is Stiff Little Fingers, who are, for my money right, the best punk band this side of the Atlantic has ever produced. And any time I can sense that their flavors in a record in a band, it just warms my heart. And those two songs in particular, they've got a bit more of a melodic mouse to them. It really brings to mind they're sort of turning to the eighty were like songs like you know you might know Tin Soldiers and Nobody's Hero, like less about Hack and Slash and more about soaring and I love that and it makes my favorite moments of the record. That one too, for me, is as good as this record gets. They somehow manage to feel even more stirring and urgent than the other songs of the record, which are pretty fucking stirring and mighty urgent. It just but the whole thing just bowls along that those moments might be my hands, but the way that they lean into pace and speed and fury when they need to. You mentioned Liberty and the first song, there's so much like holler along power to those choruses, and when there is some hack and slash in the riffs, they absolutely pull that off as well. There's so much again for a studio project, it sounds really alive and again like there's that that is a for bands playing in this soyle of music. It really helps if you if it sounds like a band is playing to again, that's what punk is really all about. He's able to sublimate that feeling while this necessarily being a studio projects, and I think that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, there are some of the OI reference points. I'm sure that a lot of these bands share, Like you know, Blitz whoever it is. But like speaking of the unconventional bands that came to mind, I don't I might get crucified for saying this. I don't know about the particular record, but for some reason I kept thinking about the offspring during this, like that like hyper melodic guitar, everyfing you know, do new, new, new, and like whatever, Like they feel like basement OI versions of either like the Kids Aren't All Right. A lot of the time songs and pop punk has been a useless genre for ages, but this new wave oy scene is living at the moment. So if you can grab a bit of that flavor in a record like this instead, by all means do it. And it also has just a super light dabbling and not as heavy as like a Homefront for example, but a light dabbling just enough to make it feel felt in post punk. Where that La Libertay track, which is the one of all these I have been like rinsing over and over again. As well as having just the best OI chorus, it's got like a danceable feel underneath it that really makes it pop. And another my favorite tracks on this, lamad it On, is pure punched the air, like you know street punk, but halfway through you get this sick like twinkly guitar lead out of the post punk school that just like really catches the air and glistens in a really beautiful way. And the final track has like a little bit of tremolo melody. It's like a little TV taste of black metal, like nothing too extreme. Like it's not like when the Poison Ruin closing track went full black metal. It's just like a tiny little frosty icing on the punk cake on what is essentially a raging hardcore track that also at the end turns into a gleaming heartland rock song to end, like the final minute of the record.
Speaker 2: That rules that song again being thrown off course when that came in, espelicially with the rolling tom's and the the tremolo riffs, I was going, we had a bit of late two thousands dark thrown here. Very nice. Again, I'm sure she's just share influence, but that's the thing that came to mind. And then by the end you're right, you're going, oh no, that this guy also likes the Replacements and probably a bit of Tom Petty and he's throwing some of that in that level of musical dexterity. It's one of the coolest things about the sort of internet era of punk is the ability to go, let's just throw all sorts of things and like paper and share our own idea to it. This doesn't really have like a necessary I don't think this has a super easy elevator pitch in a way that something like a Poison Ruin does not say that's a measure of the record at all, But I do think it's much more dextrous then you might expect from this style of music generally speaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I checked out this is the second album from this particular project. I checked out the debut album as well, from a couple of years ago, and that record is also good, but this one seems more open minded in the influences, you know. And it's just it's fucking loads of fun, Like like eight songs twenty four minutes. Pretty much every song as a banger and has something cool to you know, hang, it's kind of name on. Actually, if you are wanting a punk record, check out this month. This is the one for me. Like, I highly recommend it. Prison Ere de tomp absolutely get in on that one. I'm very glad that I caught it, you know, just in time to slap it in this particular reviews bag because it's really there you go along with the more alternative records though that we have now covered this month in particular, this sunny month of May has been chock a block for black metal. On top of what we've got here, we had the return of dmu borg Hear after eight years. We had Dark Throwne as well, and those are the ones we aren't doing, some of the genre's biggest names, and the reason being is that we have got three count on three picks more from the underground that we want to shout about. And first of all, we have an album that the album that has most consumed my listening this month, a Forest of Stars, with also their first album in eight years, the magnificently titled Stack Overflow in Corpse Pile Interface. This is a band who have been veterans of the scene for you know, coming up to twenty years now, but with it being so long between releases and then not exactly being a household name, this I'm sure will be the first time that plenty of folks will be hearing of them. So an introduction of Forester of Stars were part of the wave of UK black metal bands that really reignited that scene at the tail end of the naughties into the twenty ten So I'm talking Winter, Philith, then Code Voices and that generation of bands were and are massive for me, Like being a teenage black metal fan at that time and finding this wave of bands who are much close to home rather than you know, coming from Norway or America and then often being you know, so interesting and different from one another was a big thing. And a Forest of Stars were in a scene often of Mavericks by far the most eccentric and out there of those bands a lot of the time. And you know, considering what we've discussed before about the likes of Code and how out their bands like that can be, that is saying something Elliott's, do you have a history with a Forest of Stars? And if you do, why don't you have a crack at conveying what the fuck their deal is?
Speaker 3: Because it's sure is something.
Speaker 2: Okay, So yeah, I do have a history of a Forest of Stars. I love this band. I didn't know this record was coming out. I somehow missed the announcement altogether until like I think it was the end of reviews last month you mentioned this was going to be and I thought, what the fuck? Like, yeah back, because we're getting to it. May it's been a while. Uh, they're They're not for the faint of heart. We'll put it that way, because even before you get to the most radical thing about them, which is so self explanatory, if you've heard it, if you've heard this band, you know you already know I'm getting at. Their music is so unusual. Their songs are long, liberin labyrinthine, unorthodox tapestries. I'd say they're black metal band. They've got much more common the likes have enslaved than they do I mortal like. They take so much from folk music, progressive rock, sort of seventies neo folks, psychedelia. You're You're just as likely to hear a male choir or like a church organ on their records then a distorted tritone. And this record might be their most off the beaten path yet for a reason, We'll get this. This band are about as idiosyncratic and strange a black metal band as you're likely to find in any point in the genre's history. They are that shit, for lack of a better word, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like of that crop of as to say, UK black metal bands from like circa twenty ten, they are the one that you could most conceivably slap the avant guarde tag onto, like you know, Winterfhilith, great band, but Winterfith fairly straightforward in what they do. For as the Stars, just conceptually from the off, they're like a secret society of Victorian gentlemen, and like they often go by the nickname the Club, you know, like their their current promo picture, if you were to pull it up, is one of my favorite things, because you have this group of like stoic, forlorn looking metal people suited and booted, and then randomly, at the very far end of the group photo, one of them is wearing like a purple multi colored clown slash GiB mask and it's.
Speaker 3: Only him, like none of the rest of them, and I have no explanation for him.
Speaker 1: But they are like this extremely peculiar and hyper British as well collective like this is genuinely a sound that you would get nowhere else in the because it is this genuinely surrealistic concoction of English progue and folk and demented Victorian aristocracy with a frontman called mister Curse and other members going by names like mister T. S. Kettlberner and mister William White Barrow. Like they're a very odd bunch, but they are great, and they're twenty tens albums a shadow play for Yesterday's and particularly for me at the time be where the Sword you Cannot See are among the classics in my book that that scene produced. But this new album I think might have gone right up to challenge them. I think this is like an upper tier album of the Year contender, like this is just terrific. And if you are hearing that description and hearing it sounds off putting, it might well be like they are absolutely a very odd band whose flavor will drive some people insane, but also give it a go because it is a sonic concoction unlike any other band, and we've not gotten onto how spectaclely on this album they are also put these ideas off. There's also the matter that this album is seventy three minutes long. They do not do the things by halves. And it's only you said eight tracks is good before this one's six tracks and each one, let me tell you, is an odyssey and my goodness. It is a great beast two tackle. But for psychedelics, sprawling, swimming in and out of what is expected heavy music, you won't be hearing many better examples of it.
Speaker 2: I think no U for seventy three minutes. I'm not saying that it flies by or that it's easy listening for certainly thing it's by any means, it's absolutely not. This is probably their densest album to date. I would say sonically it's you can hear that this is a near decade of work going into it. But this thing doesn't wait around very long. Like occasional you'll do it deliberately open. It will make you wait for something. But the amount that goes on in those seventy three minutes, this is comfortably one of the most ambitious metal records you will hear this year in any style of music, purely on artistic grounds. You know, We've been listening to it for a few weeks now. I still feel like I'm scratching the paint off the aluminum surface or something. That this thing is such a monolith. And I say that in the in the most praising possible terms. I am like you in I am just in awe of this record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is.
Speaker 1: It's a seventy three minute, dense what is going on record that I still have like actually wanted organically not just to be doing this, to put on again and again, like this is the record after neurosis this year that I've done that with of being like I need like I've got fucking seventy three minutes, fair, wow, I need to put for us to stars on like I've been. I've been to the rest of their catalog as well. And for a band who I you know, I liked ten years ago and then they went away for a while and I kind of organically by myself like rediscovered and re fell back in love with them about two or three year ago anyway. But getting this at just the right time and it just being as like delivering on everything I could want it to be has been such a real joy trying to get get inside and what the sounds are even going on here. I guess you know, among the main players that they have that make up what they do musically is they have a violinist, a lady going by Catherine, Queen of the Ghosts, who briefly played violin for My Dine bride as well, and that kind of strings work on an extreme metal record, particularly one as ingrained in like British folk music, as this is just really seems to be so strongly and that gives me a pretty central, like melodic focal point, you know, to hold on to as it goes through all these different elements, and so amidst everything else that goes on, you have these stunning, like incredibly rich, rich texturally you know, powerful violin melodies that opened the record with the first track Ofscension of the Clowns, slowly moving over this like beautiful, like spacey, atmospheric black metal passage, and it really draws you in. But then mister Curse, the vocalist arrives. He is just the most like alarming, off putting yet completely transfixing vocal focal point in an extreme metal band that you can imagine, because he's not actually doing a what you would call a black metal vocal traditionally, you could argue he's not even quite screaming in a way that you would understand a metal band to be screaming. Rather, he specializes in this kind of unhinged, ranting sort of spoken word poetry. But it is so fucked up, so attention grabbing and disarming, and like to hear a you know, an extreme metal band who have a vocalist where you genuinely do not know what he's going to come out with or what he's going to sound like or pull off any given line is so as I say, like you just like you have to fixate on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's one of the most idiosyncratic vocalists an extreme metal band that's ever had. And it just I think he's about a spoken word. If a lot of peoplehen they hear the words spoken word, they think, oh, you know, mellow kind of whispering, it's gonna be that sort of thing, like you know, slint or something like that. His spoken word is so panic inducing it's actually a relief when he starts screaming, when he starts.
Speaker 3: Wretching like a black mask.
Speaker 2: Oh thank god, thank god, some respite from that madman. He he is, his gibbering stream of conscious and it's also one of the most arresting vocal styles I've ever heard, and it's not one that I've ever ready gotten used to. I've listened to this band loads, and I've listened to this record loads, and there are still moments across this record. What is he doing and what the like? I mean, straight straight away the first song, you know, he's growling, he's snarling, he's he's chew chewing, like what just when you think you've put everything and you think, okay, I'm starting to get on the register, it says.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, like genuine just to reassert here three minutes of the album. I have no idea if this has ever happened on a black ma lad before he makes a train horn noise as of this mad like careening snowball of a track, he goes steady away, boys at that point, all better off to where you might be going. I mean, the very first line on the album, he comes in with this, I am my own maggot consuming myself and the only natural comparison point for what he does as to if you would like this ash Andspire, if you like them A Forest of Stars was a clear reference point for what they were going for, you know, like they share that kind of foaming at the mouth, lunacy, ranting and raving vocal delivery. But while Ashenspire is often very like pointed with the specificity of the political subject matter, a Forest of Stars is much more like Dardaist, you know, like it's so unpredictable the kind of thing that he will come out with. It's all wrapped up again in this like high society Victorian wordsmith language, and he is still ferocious and like angry and incandescent with rage, but it will spill out into the most like genuinely bizarre and absurdist stuff. There's a part later on where he hits an honest to god wow, and I think there is there is a quite politicized nature to what you can read into again these very dense lyrics, like when he's talking about Shitagatshit the Enshitenment, and I'm like, yeah, it does kind of feel like we're living in the Ensitenment right now. That's quite an app I think assessment of the world, but it's putrified to something that is so delirious. You know the title Corpses overflowing Crashing the world. You know, there's a track mechanically separated logic where he's painting this like hideous picture of I think the human race as the product of like a factory meat plant covering the earth or something. There's a lot in that and like root circle usurpers as well. That seems to reference climate change. But again and he's like, you know, really strung out kind of ways. But the instrumental is it's so strange and fluttery, with like you know, peculiar keyboard sounds and like space rock bas melodies and stuff you get as well. It feels like you're drifting through like a toxic poisoned you know, daydream and the whole time he is just off on one. It's like being in the presence of a man just threatening to set himself on fire over and over again. And while he's doing that, the band are flowing and creating these incredible, like shimmering, violent but psychedelic landscapes with those of those phenomenal violin melodies. It rarely actually stops between the tracks, like it does feel kind of constructed as like a continuous seventy three minute piece of music, so street level vertigo. That second track you get this ominous thudding percussion that swims straight out of essentially the clowns building for three minutes just getting more and more like antsy basically, and that's something he's pointing at things you can't see going yes, that one no.
Speaker 3: Not that one. It's like, what are we referring to?
Speaker 1: I'm so scared, And then eventually it bursts and you get like a Glockenspiel melody or something that's harmonizing with the tremolo, and this mixture of like really calming beauty with this crazed magnet at the center of it is really amazing. And considering everything we just said for me, like I said, how I've wanted to go back to this recond again, then there is a smoothness about how this one works together and flows that some of them more prickly albums haven't had that so much, but there is a level of grace to it and the prog rock side of it. When you get to like the back half of the song like street Level Vertigo, and it goes full into that world, it's unreal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just street up. Berger has one of my favorite couplets, even couplets my favorite bits of line on the song, way just goes a I see beasts on the periphery? Will they eat me?
Speaker 3: Will I eat them?
Speaker 2: What the what do you mean? Like you said that, the arrangements on that song are just amazing. The Glaucus Field melody sounds like something off, like a Cigar Oasa record somehow, And it's the juxtavision between something so I want to say, calming but sort of beautiful and cascading against the backdrop of that vocal is just so discordant and uncecily. And in the first three songs, which take up you know, over half an hour, you kind of feel like you get a grip on even if you don't know what's gonna happen. You know what the tools are, you know, like, don't get on the still fucking weird bits like mechanically separated logic. You're distracted just long enough to not notice that you said a float in the Great Urin or backed up in a service station. It's just like a.
Speaker 3: Thousand miserable piss artists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the imagery of this guy's coming out with. But then when you switch to root circle usurpers, suddenly we're not in Victoria in England anymore. We're in the wild West. There's slide guitars and like jaunty plut string intement and a mouth organ. It's just, you know, they've committed so holy to the secret society nineteenth century England feel and then thirty minutes off they're willing to just like being an offsc full howdy man, and yeah, it makes total sense. It doesn't feel like a wild swing. It makes sense in the context of the world they've made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me that that intro of Root Circle Usurpers really to me feels like sort of sixties seventies English folk rock. I guess, like it feels like you're like in a field surrounded by mushrooms, you know, and you have no idea from that point how that is going to koreeina to anything more stream, you know, And this album like it's you know, if you've never heard a Forestars before and then you listen to them, it's easy to go like, oh, yeah, that's the renting Victorian gentleman band. But the musicianship and how like ambitious and gradual. The construction of these like phenomenal pieces is like genuinely world class amongst like the best of the best. And this is like not full black metal for a good like fifty percent at least of the runtime. But there's always so much going on that your senses are just feasting the whole time that Root Circle Usurper's track ends up building to this phenomenal like cascading strings finale, and he the vocalist, he hits this like wordplay where he goes the only boar I don't a bore is a twelve bore bores to the wall, and that is like simultaneously a tongue twister. Yeah, when you think about it, hard as fuck. You know, he's basically threatening to shoot people. It's awesome. And then the final two songs, which take up thirty two minutes collectively Sway Draped Invade. It's the dreamiest, most space rock influenced song with really centralized female vocals, and then a full grooven psych rock passage in the second half. It's like you've drifted into the uncoll acid soundtrack album from the other year. You know, like that song goes so like leaves any sense of like we have to we are, you know, married to being an extreme metal bad all the time. You know, we can just upshop and explore these other textures and be fucking wonderful at them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is my favorite song on the record, having heard a bunch of times already. It's like it's the Texas Is Band are able to bring together. The opening cell of this song is as soothing as pretty much anything I've heard this year in any genre. It's it's it's kind of blissful that those guitars just shimmer, the violins sound great, that choral organ is so warm, and the basslines that just snake through it. It's it's beautiful. And so Catherine Queen of the Ghosts just to getting her moments to shine vocally, she is such a perfect foil to mister Curse because it's like, you're never going to match him for manic panic. So coming in with this stoic, controlled, much more level headed performance, it it readdresses your readdresses your metabolism for this sort of thing. And it means when he comes back in, you go, oh yeah, that is fucking mental what he's doing. I should, I should. It's good to be reminded of that.
Speaker 1: Melodically, this album is so strong, like whether it be her part or you know, the strings parts that she's doing, there are so many melodies across this you know Mammoth runtime that really really connect with me, and for me, it saved the best to last with the closer not Drinking Water, which I think is going to be one of the songs of the year. The opening seconds of that song might be the most English sound in existence, which is a lone, dreary violin melody against the patter of rain on a window, you know, like it just it's sets the scene and the tone so intensely. And that song is stunning. It's written about a Yorkshireman named Ben Hanson who threw himself into a reservoir in two thousand and one. And I don't know what the personal connection might be with the band for them to write this particular song, but it dedicated him in the lyrics, and there's so much like somberness to that song and this real, like really genuine depth of grief and emotion and it's like Agalock level majestic that song. But through the particular coiled prism of this like totally unique band, and the crescendo for the last like five minutes whatever it is, is totally gripping, and it's not like overblown, over egged whatever, but it's just so beautifully textured. There's this massive, like fuzzy synth bass sound that comes in and the width of the sound that they start to play with and achieve on record with the guitar solos atop it, and then like a legitimately incredible, otherworldly synth lead that comes in all while again the violins are in there as well, that've been at the whole time. It is a fucking knockout. The way this record, after what could be again an overbeary, exhausting whole album Runtime two, utterly like transfitt Me, the way it does in the last like five minutes of our entire record is really special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is pretty second favorite song on the record, but I would say it's probably the most emotionally devastating of the bunch, and it just it sounds like the band pushing itself to the absolute limits, where every every single facet is operating on eleven and there's something inherently exciting about that, and it's just the maddening cocophony that it produces. But fundamentally it would mean nothing it It would not invite those repeated listeners we're talking about. If the song craft and the ability to write an epic metal song in this style wasn't just top notch, it would be a bit of a headache. If this didn't have a coherent through line for the listener to follow and the way it bows out, it's just it leaves you hollow. At the end of this, it feels silly the other of putting anything else on after this album, you you kind of have no choice but to listen to it again because it's like what what what goes next?
Speaker 1: After not drinking that That has been maybe my experience with this. There's only six tracks, like I said, but everyone at their full duration as well is just entrancing. And there's this such a durin sound, you know, where they've always sounded like you are attending the tea party from Hell or something with this like blabbering mad hatter figure at the front. That at the same time, what they're able to create sonically on this is so moving and so soothing at times as much as it is at other times like grotesque and nightmarish. Like yeah, naturally, it's a much smaller audience because it's so fucking eccentric and so peculiar. But I think you know, when you look at the latest records from Opeth or Blood Incantation or whatever, and those bands who are able to speak to that kind of you know, Floydian Majesty or whatever in a like boundary breaking extreme metal record. This strikes me as the Musclessen in that guy's this year. You know, it's it's much there's more to get past, maybe, but in terms of like breadth of record and what they're able to achieve, I don't see why this record should be any less you know, respected than bands like that.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's totally in the frame of sort of seventies progressive rock and world building like those records are. This is an absolute slam dug. But also if something like you know, we saw how popular the last Imperial Triumphant record was, and that's obviously a very different sort of thing, but that record showed and we talked about it is how much people are willing to go with mad shit if it's executed with pomp and drama and is maybe coherence enough for someone to grab hold of one thing here or there. The musical tapatries and the compositions on this record are just out of this world, and you know, kind of it's a bit like the Kalatan Brudos or whatever they was sort of sing directly to you, like, there's moments like that on the album, and enough of them. I think where if you have any interest at all, give it a go, like seventy three minutes, give it one spin and see if you want to come back for more. Because I suspend more people will get on board with this. Then the strict elevator pitch of what this album does, it kind of implies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I but where the sord you cannot see. I've had on the album Club standby for ages if we were to try and get Sam to listen to this band. But I think with this they might have just now made their masterpiece. So Forest the Stars, Stack Overflow in corpse Pile Interface and then released the very same day in what turned out to be a sensational day for black metal fans who like strings in their metal, which, hello, that's me. But from the other side of the Atlantic, we have Panopticon with debt hem sucks Heltet. There we Goopticon US musician, although he does use the Norwegian language from time to time because there are a lot of Scandinavian migrants in his in his region. We've spoken about Popticon on the show before album Club and so on, But if this is new to you, Panopticon has been one of the leading bands in American black metal for the past, you know, twenty years or so, the project of one man, Austin Lunn. He has developed quite a beloved outfit with Panopticon over the years, really at the forefront of, as I said, the American black metal sound. Sometimes he has incorporated more bluegrass and like overt American folk instrumentation, as on records like Kentucky or Rose to the North. Sometimes he incorporates a little more post rock, as I think he does on passages of this record. And again you go to the right corners like a Fortress festival for example, where Pinopticon played two years in a row recently.
Speaker 3: It's going to be an intensely.
Speaker 1: Beloved band Elliott historically as part of the two thousands, you know us black metal movement, where you might put them beside Agaloc or Walls in the Throne room, et cetera. Would you describe yourself as a Panopticon fan in the way that we would absolutely describe ourselves as fans of those bands totally.
Speaker 2: I love this band, and they're a band that I forget how much I love. My brain always goes to that run of Kentucky, Rose to the North and Auto maternal because when I was kind of becoming in a formative years a black metal fan, those three albums coming out quite quickly, one after the other. Yeah, just ideal that kind of could not have been better. And then for some reason I forget how much I love the Scars of Man and again Into the Light and the Rhyme of Memory, which are all spectacular as well. Quietly, the run that they've had is about as long as any black metal band this century of genuinely brilliant records, and it stretches back further than Kentucky, I should say as well. But for whatever reason, I I'll occasionally forget how brilliant they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like some of those records you mentioned more than other ones, but I would think there are like there are separate as in like there are now distinct pinopticon runs that have occurred.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You could even say, like the records pre Kentucky kind of form their own little period where He's yeah, maybe explored some more like oppressive sounds on some of those records. And then you have like the you can always describe as like the bluegrass era, you know, with those the classic twenty tens records, there were a couple of Panopticon records that came out last year, but those were more like sort of appendices, right, those were, like, you know, one of them was unnersing a lot of like fifteen year old songs. Another one was a full on country record like he sometimes does. This one is described more as the closing of a trilogy that includes and Again Into the Light from twenty twenty one and the Rhyme of Memory in twenty twenty three. And this is where I say they are like separate runs going on the latter of those albums. The Rhyme of Memory kind of reinvigorated my love for Panopticon in a big way. Like I had not like fully fallen in love with a record of his to the level that I would normally like since Autumn Maternal, But then that record came out and fucking knocked my socks off. It came out right at the end of that year, as we were doing our end of the year stuff, hence not really talking about it. But I think that that one is one of his very best, to the point that I always thought that Roast to the North was the Pannoticon album that I would hold dearest, but the rhyme of Memory, I can honestly say, I think is about as least as good, and it's got like a distinct tone I think to that great twenty tens run because it's almost apocalyptic. Like there's something about this run of records we're in now that feels like if this is a project with a heavy emphasis on you know, nature and the woodlands and these kind of sounds, sometimes that's more welcoming and homely. These are more like desperate and blinding, And the rhymer Memory is a record that has this real sense of destruction to it, like these landscapes are burning up, you know, and people are becoming more and more isolated. And if you go on the band camp page for this record and you're interested, there's like a whole essay that he's pretty much written about, like the themes of this record, which range from you know, kind of a metaphor of the Cariboo going extinct in the area where he is, to the mixing of like immigrant cultures together, to you know, dishonest fetishizing of like wilderness, you know, survivalist lifestyles or whatever. Like he's pretty much written a novel that goes through this record, but this album being positioned as a direct link in that chain had me very much interested and Elliott I will throw it to you if you know, think it's any different or whatever. But I also think coming of the back of a record that I loved in the time of Memory and for me was again a new dawn of me really loving this band following up this is basically exactly what I would want to continue that and it is again absolutely excellent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is maybe my favorite since Auto Maternal, and I regree the best since then. Before this was the rhyme of Memory. I think the album was spectacular, and it's again it kind of I don't think it got discussed all that much of the time, and it took a while for me to really realize how much I love that record straight away. With this one, I am kind of in all of this band all over again. There's, for whatever reason, there seems to be a I don't know if like purpose is the word necessarily, but there's something so urgent and potent about this holm in particular, more so than there has been in a what maybe ever because those great records I earlier of Kentucky up to Auto Maternal, those film, more atmospheric and like love letters to certain regions, and you know the kind of it. There's an adventuring element to them. These are sort of more like panicked and sad, like desperately sad put times, but that makes them kind of achingly beautiful as well as furious, and that has always been the juxtaposition that makes this style of black metal great. And this is honestly really close with the Fosterstars from my album of the month this time I am properly head over heels for it.
Speaker 1: It's been a really good few weeks for this kind of stuff, right, because, Yeah, if you like your black metal that leans to the more wind sweat atmospheric side, and you somehow don't know Panopticon, yeah, then hopefully you're going to love this. And this is not a bad place to start. As we said, he's you know, really bringing it to a distinctly American tradition of black metal that feels like you in you know, the snowy woods of Minnesota where he's currently based. And this album does bring a lot more of the post rock flavoring than some of the records have done. Like I said, in conjunction with the Forest of stars. There are strings galore on this thing, just like stunning, exhilaratingly arranged string sections over I mean you mentioned cigaros for a previous record. The first few minutes of the opener, Woodland Caribou are like I Am in a fucking Attenburg documentary and isn't the world so enchanting?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And it's in absolutely no hurry to get to the fast metal stuff, but it's beautiful, and eventually, like seven minutes into its twelve minute runtime, it does hit the black metal blast and it's really earned it, and it really feels like it has, you know, steadily across that runtime, it has like developed a handful of core melodies, which is something that he does particularly well.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, totally. I mean, like you say, it's what seven minutes before the damn really breaks, and when it does, it's just the amount of fury that this has because a lot of bands in this style who operate more in the making music that's beautiful and patient, they don't really even ones I love like Wolves in the Throne Room, I wouldn't say they ever have much attack, if you know what I mean. It's a different sort of approach and not any worse one, of course, but there is something about when Pinopsicon put the pedal down which sounds particularly in vigorates, particularly exciting. I think Austin is one of the most distinct howls of anyone in Black Male. You can tell it's him the second he starts in just the way he's mixed on this to sound like he's bellowing up from the bottom of the cave. Was like the rest of the music is this smothering blizzard. It's just so evocative and let you say, because the song isn't in a rush to get going, when that damn breaks at the end, it just feels all the more propulse fro and powerful. And it's just that again, that level of song craft which carries you through the record and means it's not it's never predictable, but it's continually satisfying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that he has a drummer is one of the most like crazy, erratic black metal drummers on the planet, and when he brings that flavor to the table. If there is one really odd thing of that Pronopticon that you will have to adjust to, is they are such an in house production like this is Austin's vision and his work. There are no pointers from a more mainstream metal label on how he should handle his production or anything like that, like for how comparatively popular within the black metal underground this band is. He often has really abtuse mixes, like the drums are so loud and his style is again so fucking intense, and then you mix that with the barrage of strings and cacoffon as sounds and they say the vocals are coming from half a mile away. It's not, you know, conventionally mixed, commercially minded black metal by any means. And I understand why that might be jarring for someone at first. Some of the albums he gets it less right, you know, there is a bouncing out that goes on. They are really dense, potentially quite ear fatiguing records. But these last two albums particularly do really work for me. And they're very full bodied and physically powerful, and the black metal is really raw and fiery, but these orchestral parts are genuinely or inspiring. Caribou is such a beautiful start of the record, but then you have following songs that, as you say, are kind of darker and more panicked and scarier, such as The Great Silence Extinct, which is a flavor that, again, out of this run of records, does jump out of me because the aral battery that you got going on with Rifts, that turd something a bit more intense. On songs like that that have this real panicked, you know, frightening feeling, this real aggravation and pain. There's a song called a Culture of Wilderness, which is essentially the song that most gives me more of what I loved about the rhyme of Memory, which is that intense, raging, wildfire sense of drama. Like the strings Rifts hit on that from word go. They are so crazy, Like they are so hammering and oppressive, you know what I mean while being an orchestral part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also that You're right, they're hammering and impressive, but they're also kind of light footed and playful and juxtaposed with the metal on that song, because that's some of the most menacing and ferocious black mel that has ever appeared on record, and it has these brightly but also scary uh string arrangements over the top of it, and it's just again, it's funny you say that thing about the mix because while I totally hear what you're saying and I agree that that is the case, I think it sounds so appropriate for these songs, like it would sound strange, stranger to me at least if it didn't have this cacophonous tontal. It makes those moments so fucking intense in a way I don't think they would be if the production wasn't so in house. And I mean, for me, the absolute krem de la crem at this record, and I just want to get to it. Blood and fur upon the melting snow. That is again contender for song of the Year for me. That I where the hell has that melody been all my life? I'm not sure there's another black mast when I've heard in recently is that feels so perfectly designed to reduce the listener to tears. It's so sweeping and again to much juxtaposition that dramatic, empowering swell or chestral arrangement over a fucking d beat.
Speaker 1: Come on, that's the little flavor that gave me some other it's something like dods, dods eat Feelings or something like that, you know, because I think the last album I found to be bleaker this one has songs like the Great Science Extinct and a Culture Wilderness that capture that as well, but this album also tempers it with these like gorgeous resolutions and a more back and forth sensibility and songs like Blood and thur Up on the Melting Snow. I challenge anyone to not light up a grin when that kicks in, Like it's just the winder in your sales, you know what I mean? As you say, like on a punk beat with these entwining like guitar and strings, melodies and stuff, and then it does still reach a point where it meets it simmers down into this like rolling post rock section with like a echoing melody. It's on like a xylophone or something. It sounds a lot closer to like Mono and bands like that, And it is this, you know, every turn through something like that is so fluid and so complimentary. I've even realized on my first like several listeners, because again the mix is like, you know, huge and swirling, but there's a different guest vocalist on every song of this. The opener has Alex from Fall of Fafar and Light Better on It, which is sick as how, and that part is great. Otherwise there's lots of people who are like very much in you know, part of the Pinopticon family, like bands like Falls of Raw Ross and Vaga Fluster and stuff like that. But because it is this you know, great mixing pot alongside those like hurricanes of string arrangements, you do have the more American country elements that come in from Time, like that, you know, the pedal and the lap steel and the last track basically just being a country song for the first few minutes with Austin's like really you know, raw, unpolished but really genuine singing voice, like proper genuine country as a part of black metal is a flavor that really does work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that reminded me of the I'm forgetting what it's called now, the last song on that last Internma record, where it was all right, yeah, and it's just it's a change of gears that still feels coherence to the record but is really different but not kind of done this before and had done whole albums dedicated to this style. There's something about the Time doing it here, which for whatever reason, it just resonated that much more open sounding like Pink Floyd at their most cosmic, but it has got slide guitars in this really warm bass and again the fiddle, so I've given away there, but the violin on this song, it's not a sort of stiff performance, not that it is at any other point in the record, but particularly here it sounds like a fiddle. It's like it feels improvisational, and it just I get the ability to feel improvisational in a song which is so clearly arranged. That's remarkable. And as a way to close this album, which as you've said, has been such an up and down emotional experience where sometimes it's so triumphant and sometimes it's so furious, and sometimes it's even defeated. To go on this on a song which really does feel like the conclusion of that trilogy, it's such emotionally satisfying musical storytelling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like a fiddle in the White Cedars as well. That just that little part makes my heart saying I do think the strings that come in as are so moving, they're so filling. Once again, the same with the Forest Stars. The places that this is able to build to and the sounds that is able to achieve, like patiently following through each of its ideas are magic and the melodies are unbelievable. On this it's another really strong album Panopticon, where I think we might be in a bit of a you know, at least second, if not third, you know, Golden Nearer with them at the moment, which is it makes me very happy to say that you know about that Pronopticon, So definitely check out that new record debt hum Sottet. And finally, our last hour discussion in our Perusing of the Underground that's largely taken up this month's episode. This may be the freshest of the bunch, as we are not catching you up to speed with some ten to twenty ear our project. We are going to a newer band. It's Simitar and Cemetarium two is the album they've put out this year. If you have been a religious week in, week out listener of this podcast, you will have heard us reference Simitar before, where they put out their first album last year. Mark and I both mentioned them in and around the end of year podcast because it was absolutely wicked, but foolishly we didn't take time for a proper review. So I'm fixing that here and Cimitarium two very naturally follows hot on the heels of Cemetarium one. These guys are from Copenhagen and they've put these albums out on crips of the Wizard, which originally was just a record store in London. Brilliant place, excellent people, but as you know, turn into a label now and they have caused a real stir in like the deep underground, like just for a name drop. For an example, I had a chat with mister Lamper Murmur at the end of last year for a feature and when I asked him, like, what new stuff he'd been listening to, he was like that Simitar band rip. It's a real like you know, if you're in you know, you know kind of thing. At the moment, Elliott, when I put this forward, you said you had not yet listened to the first Cemetarium record from last year, so I suggested maybe you give that when I listened first. And I think that these two records together as a you know, here's a new band. They put these two records inside eighteen months of each other. They give you the best overview of what this band are about. Really, I am going to go in on why I think this band are brilliant and why they're one of the best new metal bands in the world right now. But in case this ends up being one of those ones where you don't quite jive on the same page as I, I will check in on you first. What did you make of your you know, newly introduced time with a scimitar across the two.
Speaker 2: Records well before I went into it forever reason and I can't explain it. I just decided in my head before hearing it that this was gonna sound like the Devil's Blood or Blood Ceremony stuff. I just thought that's what it was. I don't know if it was the crypt of the Wizard Association or the names. There's a little lick to it, there's a little bit of that. But I thought, if this is going to be the good Time sort of seventies proto boogie record of the month, and we're gonna be nice, I'm gonna be double thumbs up at the younger and yeah, what a nice time. And then they start and then I shot myself because this is way more outsider and subversive and perverted and straight's up dangerous sounding than I was expecting it to be.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know what to how you described this record or what genre it fits comfortably into if it fits into one, I do know that it's fucking badass.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, they are.
Speaker 1: I think they're one of the most striking and kind of fully formed from what I can tell sounds in a new heavy metal band in ages. I would ultimately say, at its core, this is a heavy metal band, because for me, when the first album came out, there was a lot of reference points from the more crazed, subversive end of the new wave British heavy metal, with bands like Satan and obviously outside of the UK you can point to you know, Merciful Fate and like basically dark classic heavy metal. But Scimitar are playing that with so much fucking piss and vinegar that that loops all the way around to being extreme metal. And it's it's almost like, it doesn't feel right to call it first wave black metal because it doesn't sound like Bathery or hell Hammer or stuff like that. It's, you know, something more primitive instead. I guess the most accurate descriptor would be like blackened heavy metal. They've injected a massive black metal flavoring from the underground backwards into the heavy metal they're playing, if that makes sense either way. The end result is so fucking like sparky and crackling with aggressive intense, and I agree danger in a way that most heavy metal bands ain't dangerous anymore. That's just the way it is. But this one, and we haven't even got to the vocals yet, which are like a whole other thing, entirely very little to do with either conventional black metal or heavy metal. But the overall package of this is something I would describe as legitimately unchained, Like this is heavy metal that you could not record on pro tools or anything like that. I'd be surprised if they use a click track. If you crave that old feeling of recordings that were genuinely raucous. And that doesn't mean you're just wanting a throwback, right like it's better back then, nostalgia or whatever. That's not what I'm talking about. That's not what this is. This is a really fresh sound, but it's a new band who authentically and genuinely sound so utterly violent and demented that Scimitar are like maybe just the most like freakish, deliriously so heavy metal band on the planet right now. And that is true in different ways. There are things about the second record that really took me back compared to you know, knowing the first one. But across the two, as I say, if you give someone these two records as I have with you and go, here's this band, that is very true across both of them. Just the fucking force at which they come out at you. Well, that's why I use the word outsider.
Speaker 2: I use it quite deliberately because it's it's not like, again, if you say black and Heavy Metal just tick something, it's similar like black and Thrash when we talk at something like Midnight, there's as not that. No, there's a joy to its simplicity. And we're listening to go like, oh, he does the thing that sounds like so and so, and he's doing that thing, and that's clearly a reference to bread and it's it's it's not necessarily a you know, things were better back then, but it's going I love all that stuff and I'm bringing it in and I'm winking and nudging at you. You listen to this and Black and Heavy mel it's not clear to me that these people even like think that's like Venom and Iron Maiden and you just priest. I'm sure they do, but it feels more like they're using those tools to produce something that is more in line with like d Amanda Gallas or something like that. But yeah, but also not outside of heavy metal. It still feels like something that you could put on, you know, maybe late at night on the Sophia Line caster stage, a bloodstock something if you want to sing a bit more extreme to bowl things out, but and yet connected to all that other stuff. It's it's a real paradox of a record. This where you're going, this is the thing that's great about it, but also that's not true, because this is the thing that's great about it, But that can't possibly be true because this is it. It's just it's really hard to get a grip on exactly what this is doing. And that's that is what makes it ultimately so exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I saw them at the black Heart at the start this month, and what you just described is also the case visually, right, They were like an assault on the senses from all angles. You know, like a lot of the instrumental players dressed like seventies heavy metal metals from you know, Sweden or Denmark. But then they've got this, you know singer at the front who half the time is just like genuinely buggying and getting down, and then other half the time like staring at the in the front like you're going to eat their face. It's amazing. The first song a conitterm from the first album has some of the most like insanely catchy, ear wormy, rollicking heavy metal lead lines I've heard since the glory days of like in Solitude you know who I think would be again another comparison point, but only in some ways, because there are also many other ways where they really differ in sound completely different, some like in Solitude. But then you have the singer Sham who, as I said, is neither a traditional heavy metal singer nor a black metal screecher. She is definitely singing like this is a feels wrong to call it a clean performance, but it's a sung performance right. There are vocal melodies stuf where she would just like drift up into doing falsettos and stuff like that. But the impression is like a band who are being fronted by a whaling witch. There's a real sense of the arcane about what she's doing, like she is conjuring magic out of the air.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: She also comes from an Arabic background, and she brings a lot of that like tonality into the vocal lines as well. And she is such an arresting presence at the center of this tornado, channeling it all around her. She had like a career before they're doing that more like on the kind of psych rock, you know, post punk, strange, you know, side of things, but that element into a whirling dervish of a metal band. It's just an unbelievable combination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of those things where you couldn't you know that there's no boardroom in the world where you would decide that that's a good idea. It's an idiosyncratic, mad thing that can only come from mad people. And realizing that's what this was going to be, which I did about halfway through Cemeterium to as the opener, which I think is one of the most attention grabbing introductionory tracks you could here to a band like that. A just that horrible noise at the beginning straight so I was like, Okay, well, this is not gonna be as good a time as I thought it was going to be, And that just gives way to that this snarling his for riff and the way the bass plays off the vocals, and then the vocals are already it's far from the maddest performance you'll get on the record, but already you just go, this is someone out of their God, this is not a normal person leading this band. And there's just something which it can't be trained, it can't be emulated, can't be faked. I don't think when it's like the Master of Ceremonies, your tour guide for the band is themselves mad. It's the King Diamond thing. It makes it so much more like White Knuckle as a listing experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and somehow this this second album, Cemetarium two, I mentioned that, you know, the Cemetarium one has these incredible like heavy metal galloping lead parts and stuff. It was still a very harsh, evil record, and I thought the second album might, I don't know, hone in on something a little bit more. This album is faster and heavier and more evil than the first one. And I thought that first album was fucking intense, right, But I thought I had a handle on what they were from the first album. The first time I put this second record on, I got sent fucking screaming back to the drawing board immediately right Like it was so blistering and crazy and frightening that I didn't feel like I had any preparation from a year of listening to the first album at all, Like, despite how much I had, It's one of the most violent, intense, dangerous first listens I've had with the record in a while. And this is again what you could still maybe call a heavy metal album, you know, but I'd say that both albums have like a lengthy intro track that is the title track of the record. The first one, that track was more instrumental. This one has got like evil Dulcimer's or some shit against it, like suffocate you black metal riffing, and then when that tension gets loose for the opener proper irreverence warning, it is like being stuffed into a cement mixer with an active beehive and then spun round at several miles an hour. It is fucking mental how rabidly aggressive that song is. And I think this is again they're towing different size of the line whatever, but I think this one is more of a black metal album than the first one was, which was maybe more of a heavy metal album because of how caustic the tremolo picking is, the dissonance to setply, it's more ear bleeding, you know. The drummer is just careening over the edge again and again.
Speaker 3: But you still have this.
Speaker 1: Like breathy banshee voice at the front of it, amping up the melodicism, but in a way that is only more disorientating and more ghastly.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm really glad to hear you say that that this is more extremely the first one, because I listened to this first and I thought, what the fuck is that? And then of it, I went to the first one and it didn't It's still something mad, but it wasn't quite as hair brained, and I thought, is this just because I've worked out what's going on with this band and I've gone back with some context. This one, for the first record, is really good. I really like it. I am so in on how just insane. This one is just taking the black Nol thing. I'm going even further with it. And I want to say, as much as we're giving shouts out to the vocalist and rightly so the drummer in this band, it's fucking crazy and get that thing I was saying about not knowing if you can trust your guide through the record. Just as exciting as that is when you don't know when the drumm's is gonna lose it. It's the Dave Lombardo thing. It's the hell hammer thing when you're going, what is that beat you're playing? That's not a blastbeat, that's not a jacket jacket, that's not like a typical double bass part, Like, do you even know what you're playing in this moment? How long you have to play it for? It's like the drums are you know, they're not keeping the beat per se. It's like he's just reacting to what the rest of the band are doing. Here's the crazy part. I want to make it way crazier.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Lunacy Jewels is my favorite track on this second record, and it is punky speed metal abandon but dialed up to such a level speed that it becomes like almost untethered, you know, Like and the first few seconds of intro alone probably feature more snare hits and entire doom albums like it's fucking crazy, and then halfway through it does it's almost a relief. It transitions into one of those like pure Satan style New Ever Britay heavy matter of reffs the Man Man and it's just delicious, you know, and that the run of the trap list of Irreverence, Warning, Lunacy Jewels, Magnetic Venom is just like the hungriest frenzy of heading out that you can imagine. Magnetive Venom has a black metal blast bit with this loud, fuzzed up base.
Speaker 3: It's just like gloriously putrid.
Speaker 1: The sideb of this one does change tact a little. Both records have very long closers. A video on the first album is more like this overwhelming, you know, tie together string of rifts that just like dazzles you for ten minutes. This one does show a different side to them, and that's where when you mentioned bads like the Devil's Blood and stuff, this does draw a connection to that world as well. You've got through Lava lit Roads to Lavilender, which starts to introduce something more psychedelic, and then the closer Mobula Moblara is soul furic. You know, it's got this kind of like cool of Ctulhu vibe in the rifts, but while like dense pungent fumes are being forced down your orifices, you know, like it has that it has the wat aan thing of like I am in the sulfuric pit of hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that we're talking about this record as side A and side B because it is that's so clear in the track listing, and you know, like it was so welcome to have that change of pace as much as I was loving the previous stuff, that twenty minute nightmare you just can't other side of, and seeing that fourteen minute track fast approaching, I want to need at least a bit of recipite before we get there. And the lave of it rose to Lavelender, like it's it's kind of beautiful, like that vocalist is so capable at just carrying a more reserve melody, but it's still unnerving in the same way that things like Comers Current ninety three, but also a bit of the like poppy end of Mike Oldfield from the early eighties. It's it's that combination is so brilliant and it's such a great palate cleanser because then, how did you say it, mobular mobula?
Speaker 1: Mobular mobula, Yes, that's with it. It's it's got an R at the end of the second one.
Speaker 2: The way that'll do, the way like that song by it. It's a strange thing to say, but buding a fourteen minute song like this to your record, you've made the album so much more replayable because it just adds this depth to what happens to it, where you know it's this has no qualms slowing down, exploring an idea more fully, kind of letting you settle into a riff before changing the next one, allowing some real tension to build in a sussle way rather than just basically giving you electric shocks at random times like it does all the way through Side A. And this band is so good at that, even like just the way they're able to sloom from one idea to the next. And the voice acting is some kind of MC somehow managing which is a wild component, but somehow manages to root what the song's doing and the way it builds and builds and builds. It's We talked about a lot about epic songwriting in this reviews bag. This band have nailed it early on and in a style that you're mentioning what're saying. I'm definitely hearing that, but I don't know where I've heard a song quite like this before, and that is so exciting to me, and that's what made me keep coming back to this record, which I probably wouldn't have done quite as much as I have if it was just the stuff on SIDEA. For its duration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that song they closed the set earlier this month with, and like, I didn't know whether I was doing that, so.
Speaker 3: I could could have told you how long they played it for.
Speaker 1: I'm just like I'm I'm gone, you know, I mean, amongst other things, on top of everything else, we're saying, you have a heavy metal band making proper usage of bass guitar as a distinct instrument, carrying its own melodies, you know, bring its own presence. This is a it's a nasty record, man, and nasty in a way that is beyond just listen to this tone, listen to these morsh parts or whatever. Like we were saying, it's it's dangerous in that it's nasty, the intent is diabolical, and you are being baptized in a bog of blood. I think one of the most exciting new heavy metal bands in the world right now. I vividly look forward to more, but already inside eighteen months. We have these two fucking delirious records from them, so it's a good time to get involved Simitarium one and two. Listen to them both for one of the best bands in the underground right now, and that is us next reviews bag, we will do the new Marmazet's records along with We've got New Converge again next time as well, along with hopefully some newer bands as well. But thank you so much for being with us through this one and listening to it this time. An eclectic, mad Cat whole bunch there wasn't it like some really freaky from Haggard Cat to a Forest Stars and beyond like crazy times. But let us know which ones you're giving with. Please do check out those names that you've not heard of before. That was a good bunch, I think for some of those newer names. Otherwise, we will be back soon with the next part of our corn Special. Part two is now fresh out. I will also be back here next week with a report from this year's Fortress Festival. If you are around seeing me this weekend, if you're continuing the black metal kick from our reviews here, We're going to see A Forest Stars this weekend, amongst other things. So I'm very excited for that. Going to be lovely and yeah, we will be back next time.
Speaker 3: Steady Away Boys,