Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. White House announced a baseline tear freid of ten percent going to effect on Saturday. The DOW has been down over fifteen hundred points at times today, S and P five hundred has been down over four percent. NASDAC been down over one thousand points at times. Story we are following for you. Thirteen year old boy who has reported missing over the weekend has been discovered. His body has been discovered in a wooded area in Ventura County, Oxnard yesterday. San Fernando Valley is where Oscar Hernandez is from. He was reported missing March thirtieth, like I said, on Sunday, failed to return home after visiting an acquaintance in Lancaster. They started investigating Laped's robber a homicide. Did They developed leads suggesting that they search an area a wooded area of Harbor Boulevard in Oxnard. We don't know about those leads. We don't know who they're looking at. But they did discover the body in the area that they were searching. His sister Alejandra says, my brother was one of those people who would greet anyone.
Speaker 2: He had no evil in his heart.
Speaker 1: If he encountered anyone, he would have a conversation with them and be friends with that person. So again, we don't know what led to this. They have suggested that there may be a person of interest that they're working to question in this situation. But thirteen year old boy body found yesterday afternoon. All Right, the popularity of these electric scooters and electric bites is off the chain quite literally.
Speaker 2: You see them everywhere.
Speaker 1: I see them all the time on pch down there in an, Orange County, just droves of people too. And in fact, the bike stores, the shops, the rental places are right there. They're in all the tourist areas, the hotspots. It's the thing to do right now.
Speaker 2: And I get it.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful out there, especially in that area. Long Beach is another area where these are super popular. I mean they're popular everywhere, children and adults alike. And I've talked about it, how I've seen people on these scooters and bikes and I'm thinking, gosh, I got to get back on my bike. That is a good workout. And then I realize that they're not really riding their bike. It's an electric bike, so maybe not for workout purposes, but absolutely convenient. But there has been a huge uptick. And I've been waiting for this to happen, because how could it not If these things go forty five miles per hour faster even, and kids don't have licenses for them, or they just don't care, or they're riding them just without abandon, with abandon or without abandon. I feel like that's one of those things that routinely screw up. It feels like it should be without abandon anyway, there has been a huge uptick in serious or deadly crashes involving these things. There was a study published. Finally, the things are being studied in this regard. There was a study published in the JAMA Network and they say that they've tracked down e bike injuries back to when we had the onset of these things in twenty seventeen, very new. In twenty seventeen, there were seven hundred and fifty one e bike injuries recorded. Those are ones where somebody fills out some paperwork, which would be rare with these things anyway.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, we've all fallen off our bikes.
Speaker 1: We've never filled out paperwork for it, so it's got to be pretty serious. Seven hundred and fifty one, how many do you think there were? Five years after that seven hundred and fifty one. Five years later there were twenty four thousand. That speaks to a couple things, the proliferation of these things and the whole without abandoned writing of these things. Injuries from riding eat scooters rose forty five percent over that period. There are anecdotes now we're getting just over the weekend, Emiliano Flores eleven years old, riding an electric scooter when he collided with a sedan put in the hospital with serious injuries. Neighbor heard the crash outside her home, says that as soon as I came out, I hear a little boy crying.
Speaker 2: And that's what it is. It's a little boy.
Speaker 1: It's an eleven year old who's given something with the ability to go as fast as a car, an eleven year old. She says, I caught a glimpse of his little face. It was so swollen it looked purple. His eyes were swollen shut. There are a lot of people who ride these things who don't know the rules of the road, let alone follow them. April First, couple days ago in Orange, two teenagers hospitalized with critical injuries after riding a scooter on the wrong side of the road and crashing into a car. It is a growing problem throughout southern California. You're going to see people flooding the city council meetings, police commission meetings asking for something to be done. The last time I checked, there is no way to prohibit the riding of an e scooter or e bike in California. So they're going to have to come up with some sort of loopholes when it comes to putting in laws for this kind of thing. And not to be a spoil sport, not to be a oh you're no fun, your grandma's no fun, but the idea of an eleven year old riding something that goes forty five miles per hour and not knowing the rules. If you're eleven, how would you not want to ride that? If you're thirteen, whatever, you're a little boy, how would you not want that. Of course you're gonna want that, and it's okay to have it. That's where the adults need to step in.
Speaker 3: Like when I was growing up, we had quads, we had dirt bikes, and our parents always like had to watch us on them. Like we would ride them throughout the neighborhood and it was fun, but our parents were always there observing us because these are actual vehicles. And just the other day, I was driving home and there's this hill and I'm making a right onto the street and this kid, and it's near a school on his e bike comes from nowhere and just takes the light on his e bike and it's like I had no time to react. Thankfully, I saw him ahead of time and nothing happened. But it's scary, and it's scary for the kid and for you as a driver. I mean, imagine you don't see I mean, you hit that kid. He dies, and you've got that on your conscious to your whole life, even though you did nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bad combination of things.
Speaker 1: And you're right, I mean, that is one of the great joys is being able to ride a quad or whatever when you're a kid and you don't have your license yet. And that was always the coolest thing when I had friends with parents that had those. You go off roading and stuff. But you're right, You're totally right. You were always supervised. There was always somebody in the vehicle or near the vehicle with you, not just okay, go have fun with your friends, go ride your e bike down to the store or whatever.
Speaker 3: And they were always and we were always taught the rules. Yeah beforehand, it's crazy. Well you're old, clearly and zero fun.
Speaker 1: Coming back next, we will talk about the sea lions.
Speaker 2: The sea lions are getting a bad rap. Guys. They're not dangerous, they're not being violent. They're just poisoned.
Speaker 1: We know somebody who has been having some encounters with the crazy sea lions out here locally in the water. We'll talk to them when we return.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI. AM six forty.
Speaker 1: New course at UCSB called Critical Heterosexuality Studies. It's basically a course about straight relationships. Why straight women continue to go back for more is in the headline, and the sociologist that teaches the course is a lesbian. I was opining, that's interesting why she would talk about how life is so hard.
Speaker 2: For straight women, not being one of them. Anyway.
Speaker 1: I've realized that I also am not completely equipped to have the conversation. So we've decided to do a deep dive on this story and bring in some gay guys coming up in the twelve o'clock hour to kind of round out the conversation. So it's fascinating. It's the first of its course, first of its kind course at UCSB, run by the Chair of Feminist Studies about why why straight women have it so bad in our world? And I think it is a luxury to even ask that question. All right, So sea lions, We've got a fifteen year old girl attacked by her during her swim test in Long Beach by a sea lion. This is the latest in a series of stories of sea lions gone crazy.
Speaker 2: Matt Money Smith down the hall.
Speaker 1: Klac, host of the Petres and Money Show, the voice of your Los Angeles Chargers as well, joins me because he plays in the water from time to time. And Matt, I wanted to have you on and I know that you're a water rat and that you may have some sort of experience with these with these sea lions.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been attacked?
Speaker 5: I have. And it's funny.
Speaker 6: As you were doing the intro about the UCSB course, you were like and We're going to have a couple of gay guys. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think you Danna knows something about me that I don't. It's just what I'm coming on to talk about.
Speaker 2: You're so more than welcome in a twelve o'clock hour.
Speaker 5: It's like I wasn't prepared for this. I guess. See that's examination.
Speaker 1: See, that's how you know that you're a good radio personality is because you're down for whatever.
Speaker 2: Like you were like, Oh, she's having me on to be a gay guy. Cool, I'm not dropping off the line.
Speaker 5: I'm still here. Yeah. Sea lions.
Speaker 6: So there's it's a bummer, man. It's like it's been a really big bummer the last month or so. The first the first thing I saw was a kind of like a pup a porpoise that was dead on the beach. That was actually kind of right around your area over in the Sunset Beach area. That was probably about a month ago, and I just maybe thought it was a victim of an attack or something along those lines. And then we started seeing a lot of birds, pelicans, mud hens, kind of all of those sort of washed up on shore. And then we started seeing the sea lions. About three weeks ago. I saw the first one at Bolsa Chica kind of in the jetty there, the South jetty sort of between the very end of Bolsa Chica on the south on the very north side of Huntington Beach there. And then I kind of had an encounter in the water about two weeks ago. I was paddling out and it was very I always go out early. I'm usually, you know, one of the first people in the water, and so there were maybe two or three other guys out at the time, and as I paddled in, I kind of had heard this sort of snort behind me.
Speaker 2: And what did it sound like, Matt, Yeah, like that a.
Speaker 5: Little it was.
Speaker 6: It was maybe even a little more snarly, like you know than that there you go, there you go. Then you got it, but it's very loud, and it was just kind of one of those startling things, and like, what was that? And I turned around and I saw this sort of head just kind of I don't know, moving around in sort of a circular motion, like looking up and and I had remembered reading something about how you know, when this demoic acid kind of gets into these these sea lions that that's sort of how they behaved.
Speaker 5: It's one of the side effects of it. And it was just kind of charging me, and.
Speaker 2: You know, did it take a bite?
Speaker 5: It did not take a bite, but didn't make.
Speaker 2: Them move to take a bite.
Speaker 6: I think it was probably pretty close to doing that because it got Look they moved fast. Man, these things can cook in the water. And it got right up next to me pretty quickly and popped its head out and was sort.
Speaker 5: Of right even, and I didn't know what to do. I was like, do I sit up? Do I I did? I was?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 6: I think it was probably something along the lines of like, hey man, what are we doing?
Speaker 5: Like, you know, we're totally.
Speaker 2: Totally good reason with the sea lion, That's kind of.
Speaker 5: What it was.
Speaker 6: And then I kind of got into the pack of three or four other guys and then it just sort of turned around and because there's nowhere you can go, like, it's you're just stuck, you know, which I'm sure what happened to the girl that was doing her junior lifeguard test, right, You're just stuck out there. It's like, okay, I can't I can't paddle further out. I can't paddle toward the shore. The sea lion is way too quick and it's going to get me no matter what. So let's just hope, you know, I can reason with it and be like, hey, dude, we're good man.
Speaker 1: Is there part of you that wanted the story, like wanted the the line to take a bite, not something that would cripple you, but just for the story.
Speaker 6: As I said to Petro's on the show that day and shared the story with him, I was like, what a great story for you, you know, what a bad story for me. It's like one thing to go down, you know, via shark or I just you know, rode this gigantic, freaking rogue wave that that pounded me into the shore and that was it for me.
Speaker 5: But a sea lion, like that's that's not good.
Speaker 6: That that doesn't because you know they're people look at them like puppies, right, they're supposed to be, but they're not. Man, you got to be you do not want to engage. You know, I sent you that video from earlier two days ago. There was a and it's just it's so sad, man, because they do have those sort of faces, right, these these cute animal faces, and this one was just so miserable. It couldn't really move, It was just moving its head around. When are my dog? And I kind of came up upon at about six am and and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just you know, they're sick.
Speaker 6: They they're confused, and I think that's kind of how And I was talking to the marine staying if I'm talking too much, just interrupt me. I was talking to the marine safety people because I called it in and when they came out, they were like, yeah, this is definitely demoic acid. And I was like, well, it's it going to survive and like, yeah, I think so. We've just got so many of them right now, and it's really hard to kind of keep up with the the numbers that are coming in.
Speaker 5: So it's a it's a huge bummer.
Speaker 2: So when when does it go away? Is it a seasonal thing?
Speaker 5: Seasonal thing?
Speaker 6: But this is far and away the worst I've seen. Every morning when we're walking on the beach, I see at least a bird, you know, a mudhen or something like that. One maybe two today, I think it was four.
Speaker 1: And they like the angel of death out there, I know, right walking around looking at.
Speaker 2: Dead animals and bringing your dog into it too.
Speaker 5: Well, the dog that's the problem.
Speaker 6: You know the dog like smells sure, so you know she wants to get in there and play with these things.
Speaker 5: Come on, let's keep it.
Speaker 1: Well, what I'm hearing is there still a chance that you get eaten by a sea lion and if you do, Matt will love to have you back.
Speaker 5: Well, do you want me to have you back at noon?
Speaker 1: We come back on for the gay guy thing. Absolutely, twelve thirty five. We'll see you here.
Speaker 5: Thanks, Matt, you got a Channon.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Financial markets around the world reeling today following the latest and most severe news about tariffs. US stock market taking it the worst so far. S and P five hundred down nearly four percent in afternoon trading, worst day, on track for its worst day since COVID in twenty twenty. Dow down about twelve hundred points right now, Nasdaq about four point eight percent lower, So we'll.
Speaker 2: Keep an eye on that.
Speaker 1: Probably not going to get better until we get some more news about potential backtracking off of this, or maybe a potential agreement that will be ironed out between the United States and other countries. When it comes to maybe more reasonable tariffs also in Washington, and we'll get more into this coming up after the new at the top of the hour just a little bit. President Trump has moved to fire several White House National Security Council officials, taking action soon after he was urged to get rid of staffers that have been insufficiently committed to his make America Great Again agenda. Apparently loyalty has been called into question there in the National Security Council department.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: What could potentially have tipped off the president into disloyal troops?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, in the La Times there is an article about a death row inmate that has put up his journals and his art for sale eighty thousand dollars. And you're thinking to yourself, probably the way I thought to myself. Wasn't there a law? Yes, yes, there was a law that says when you kill a bunch of people, or at least, in Albert Jones' case, when you killed two people, you don't get to benefit financially from killing people. It's pretty much standard standard law and order in this country. Albert Jones found himself sitting in his cell on San Quentin's Death Row in twenty twenty. He had been there for three decades, and he starts to get wind of a little thing called COVID, And in the following months, hundreds of death row inmates fell sick close quarters. We heard all about this when it came to close living situations. It's why there were so many prisoners let out because of liability. When it came to COVID working its way through these tight living quarters, whether it's rest homes or prisons or what have you. By the end of August of twenty twenty, a couple thousand prisoners at San Quentin had fallen ill, staff members included. And through it all, Albert Jones kept detailed journals chronicling his anxiety over catching COVID.
Speaker 2: Now that's rich, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I'll get to what Albert Jones did to get on death Row in a minute. But he had anxiety over catching COVID. He wrote at the start of the pandemic in one of his journals, the world is on lockdown. The state is on full lockdown. The disease is spreading so fast. People don't know what to do. Staying in their home, all they can do is watch on TV like me. Albert Jones wrote that summer in his journal, Scott was my next door neighbor for twelve years.
Speaker 2: We had just showered.
Speaker 1: The nurse gave him his meds and then they seen how pale his skin was and.
Speaker 2: Loss of weight.
Speaker 1: So they took his oxygen level and it was sixty two. So they put him out of his cell, put him on oxygen, rolled him off. Three days later he died. Scott, by the way, Scott sounds like a nice guy, right, No, Scott is Scott erksign. He is a rapist and murderer. Scott is anyway. Albert Jones a year and a half ago published a memoir he titled it I Survived COVID nineteen, one of his ten books, two of them collections of prison recipes by the Bye. One of his collection of ten books that he has written in his years behind bars, to which I say, great, like great use of time. He's sixty years old. Albert is, why is he on death row while in nineteen ninety six he brutally killed an elderly couple. That's redundant. Brutally killed an elderly couple, isn't it? It was during a robbery in their home. These people, by the way, as you can imagine, wonderful people. Their daughter in law named Mary says, what gives him the right to write a book? My children, their grandchildren, they lost their grandparents.
Speaker 2: These were loving people.
Speaker 1: My father in law would have given you the shirt off his back, and so sort of Madeline, what the hell? Why is this guy being written up in the newspaper. Why is he getting money from these books? What the hell is going on? Well, if you find a liberal with money, get into their gated community, walk into one of their many front doors, and find a coffee table book inside, that no doubt will be about freeing wrongly incarcerated people, because that's just what happens, and that is what happened for Albert Jones, Sonoma County bookseller sees his collected works as a rare glimpse into one of America's most notorious cell blocks.
Speaker 2: He's met with Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 1: He was able to show the governor on site about his documenting community life on death Row. His writing and prison memorabilia will be auctioned at.
Speaker 2: A posh New York City book fair this month.
Speaker 1: It'll be on display this weekend in fact, the asking price eighty thousand dollars. Private collectors are clamoring to get their hands on Albert's recipes for prison gumbo and what happened to the rapist names got that unfortunately lost his life to the Big bad COVID.
Speaker 2: Some of his.
Speaker 1: Personal items there were included an old pair of reading glasses, a broken wristwatch. Prison I I'm all for redemption by the bye. I am all for a second chance. America's built on second chances, third chances. But when you kill an elderly couple in their home and the course of robbing them, I think you're all out. I think I'm fresh out of second chances. Over here, I'm fresh out of you making eighty thousand dollars off talking about your rapist friend dying from COVID and your anxiety over the whole thing kind of flies out the window with the dead old couple, doesn't it. There was a law in two thousand and two that was struck down by the state Supreme Court. California previously prohibited prisoners from financially benefiting from selling their stories, but the Supreme Court struck down that law. The La Times reached out to the prison system about this, and a woman named Terry Hardy is a spokesperson for the California Department of Corrections and Rehab said that the agency had not been informed about a contract to sell Albert's books, and as a precaution, would alert the family members, you know, the family that he killed, that he'd changed forever, those grandkids that will never know their grandparents, that family. It's going to let them know, going to let them know. Imagine that phone call anyway, But eighty thousand dollars, there you go. They say that the book collectors that are all about spreading Albert Jones's stories say his archive might show the world what kind of artistry and human connection is possible in a place designed to crush creativity and ultimately execute people. Now, the people executed were the.
Speaker 2: Family.
Speaker 1: God, I've said Albert James's Albert Jones's names? How many times? How many times have I said Albert's name in the past eight minutes? Probably like seven or eight times? How many times have I said the people who were killed names?
Speaker 2: None? Shame on me.
Speaker 1: James and Madeleine Floraville were their name. James was eighty two, Madeline was seventy two probably didn't put much of a fight before they were brutally murdered inside their home, did they? Anyway, There you have it all right. Coming up next San Francisco. PS is a bit of good news here. They're finding their way. This was from the New York Times, by the way, and the headline is We've lost our way. San Francisco rethinking their drug paraphernalia handouts. Here's the opening line, caught me, should catch you too. Plastic straws or band in San Francisco. But if you smoke fentanyl, you can get plastic straws for free at taxpayer's expense. That may be going by the wayside. Finally, we'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Heartbreaking story out of Oxnard where a thirteen year old boy's body has been found. He was reported missing out of the valley on Sunday. Trying to stay on top of that information and get more as it comes in. They did have information as to where his body would be in a wooded area there in Oxnard, and there may be there being a choi about it, but there may be somebody that they're looking at. How could there not be if there wasn't If this was a random boy that was taken off the street and killed and there was no connection to anybody, I would think that we would know if that was the case. So they must have somebody in mind, So we will be staying on top of that. In the New York Times this morning, talking about San Francisco losing its way, and I did not see this one eighty I haven't really been paying attention to what's going on in San Francisco either, but good news to bring you today. They open the story, like I mentioned before the break, talking about plastic straws being banned in San Francisco unless if you're smoking fentanyl, then you get one for free. Oh and by the way, the taxpayers bought it for you. Daniel Lurie is the moderate Democrat who became the city's new mayor in January.
Speaker 2: Moderate Democrat.
Speaker 1: Wow, that definition has probably changed a lot, but anyway, Daniel Lurie said this week that things have gone too far in San Francisco. He announced yesterday a new policy that walks back the free distribution of clean foil pipes and plastic straws on the streets of San Francisco. These were used to smoke fentanyl, meth all it. The city spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a year just on these things, just on the enabling tools. And I call them that because as long as it's comfortable to do your drugs or whatever's ruining your life, as long as it's comfortable, you gonna keep doing it.
Speaker 2: It's got to be uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: And if you're not making it uncomfortable, then then somebody else. Certainly the city shouldn't be paying for it with other people's money to make it comfortable.
Speaker 2: And that's what's been going on.
Speaker 1: Look no further than a billboard in San Francisco five years ago. The billboard was paid for by the city, paid for by people who live there. I should say that pay taxes the people who have to trapes over the people who are losing their lives every day on the street and living in zombieville on fentanyl. The billboard showed smiling people wearing glitter and sequence and they're having a great time, and the caption said do it with friends. The takeaway being you you're going to go out, You're going to do drugs. You're going to go party, do it with friends. That way you won't overdose on your own. It was kind of like a message, it's okay, just don't die as a zombie and the tenderloin alone when you could have a friend there with you that could grab maybe some narcan nearby. But this is the latest sign, the mayor's announcement yesterday, that they're moving away from this ideology, which is excellent. It's great voters have said that this is what they want there, and you wonder how that's going to impact what's going on in the conversation here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: We talked to Michael Monks yesterday.
Speaker 1: We've talked about it all week, ever since last week when that judge in downtown LA had the mayor and the head of the county Board of Supervisors in front of him and he said.
Speaker 2: The hell are you doing? What are you doing with all this money.
Speaker 1: That the voters have approved to eradicate homelessness. You're spending it, but you're not even keeping track of it. And the homeless people are still there. So what's what's going on? The gravy train is coming to an end here and people are getting fed up with the ideology of just give them clean needles and they'll be okay and you can go on living your sanitized life on the West Side. San Francisco leading the way I think we got to follow. The new mayor said just that walking around the Tenderloin this week. We have lost our way. Other California, Citi's La Seattle, Portland, New York, all places that have been pretty permissive when it comes to giving basically kits of drug paraphernalia to people in the street. San Francisco taking the crown time and time again well as of the end of this month. As of April thirtieth, all paraphernalia will only be distributed to those who undergo lengthy counseling sessions that are designed to steer them into treatment or toward other resolutions. So maybe you know the methodone route somebody wants to get off heroin. You're going to help them do that in a safe way, and that is that's the thing, that's the care and the stick. Right, Okay, you have agreed for treatment, you've agreed for rehab, you've agreed this is not what you want for your life. All right, We'll help you out with that, and that's the way it should be, not though. We'll help you out with that, and you haven't come to a decision that you want to change. So good news in that regard. Coming up next. How did it get to be eleven o'clock already, We've got swamp watched Trump's firing people in Washington because they're not loyal security officials. We'll get into that Wall Street, we'll get an update on that. Not going to spend a lot of time because it's Thursday, it's almost Friday. We don't want bad news, bad news heading into the weekend. And ps we talked to all the money guys and they said, do not panic today. This is going to be what happens with the markets when any time the word tariff enters the chat. And this is Trump's way of doing business and it'll all hopefully even out. So I won't spend too much time on that big twelve o'clock hour as well, we're gonna deep dive into the story about that new course at UCSB, all about straight hood of course, talking about the science of being straight.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue after this.
Speaker 5: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon show.
Speaker 6: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app