Speaker 1: Whole k Are and cast can't catch a trick Warrington Wolves. They laid it on thick, fighting hard until the final bell were Catalans, York and Bradford as well. Players dropping like flies. Each match is player Welfare currently up to scratch as Huddersfield hopes of a win. Tucker Dive, Luke Robinson got his p forty five who left c beat Leeds for their boss. Lee and John are here with the Goss. Welcome to the fourteenth episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily designed to show off my poetry and also to talk about the top tier of British rugby league. My name is Lee Addison.
Speaker 2: And my name is John David. He sure had a bit of a clip a clip The WiFi in South Yorkshire is sort of the best.
Speaker 1: I'm also the host of the Rugby League Coach podcast and feature on the Loose Carry podcast from Zero Tackle and a coach in Australia John Ajourno in the UK. Please read the description of this podcast or listen to old ones so we can make this long intro shorter. The podcast being aired on the Assage Rugby League, Rugby League Coach and podcast platforms as well as the Rugby League Coach YouTube, so if you subscribe to those you won't miss a thing. Also thanks to Rugby League dot com who are taking our podcast after the Whoter this week. Thank you for your support of that which we do straight after a fixture. It will be after Thursday's fixture which I believe is cast versus Bradford. But the big news straight off the top, John Luke Robinson sacked at Huddersfield this afternoon. It's been a big day. It's been a big day.
Speaker 2: It's been a big day. Yeah, that news came through what was it just checking exactly the hour? About four or five hours ago, six hours ago, should I say? Luke Robinson terminated as head coach. He took over twenty twenty four after Ian Watson was also dismissed and Huddersfield have lost all five games so far this season, the only team to have not won a game. In a way, not surprising that they have gotten rid of Robinson, but in a way also a little bit surprise surprising because they've got sixteen players out injured. They've got a huge injury crisis and Huddersfield as a club, you know, I mean we can talk about in depth, but they have been they haven't been unleashed for a long long time, really, Lee and they're saying they're unleashed. But yeah, there's big problems off the field as well as on the field for Huddersfield.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're wondering what John is going on about, he's talking about the words of Ralph Rimmer, their director of change at Huddersfield, and I think the only thing he has changed so far is what he's done today, which is a coach and he's a quote. We have been resetting the club. We've set up about that prior to Christmas, driving the club forward off the field, but critically we need some on field success as well. A fantastic man, Luke Robinson a legend of this club and will remain so. But nevertheless, this set of circumstances has brought about this change.
Speaker 2: Close quotes.
Speaker 1: Look, John, I understand what people say about the injuries, but like I've said before on this podcast, I had nausey and a lot of that can be down to the coach as well. Luke Roberson is a fantastic bloke. I was at wigging with him. He really is a good lad. He was a young kid coming through then and full of energy for the game, and I don't think that energy has diminished in any way, shape or form. But unfortunately, I honestly believe that he was out of his depths as a coach. And I mean defensively, Huddersfield just don't look like they've been coached so far. That's me being critical from an analytical point of view. There'll be so many things you and I don't know, but you did hint. I think there John, there's all the things going on at the club that could be contributing to their malays right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I haven't. I was looking actually just recapping before record. I wrote a piece in twenty nineteen about you know, issues at Huddersfield and you know how they've really the Super leagu era at least, they've they've not really achieved anything. They won the League Leaders Shield in twenty thirteen under Paul Anderson, you know, and even even when they were you know, top of the league then and doing really well, they never had a big fan base and they haven't won you know, a premiership or the Challenge Cups since I think it was the fifties and the sixties and they had the golden period I think was in the twenties. So they've been a club that's never really won a lot, but in the Super League era, yeah, they've They've gone through something like I think it's five to six coaches in the last nine years, and Luke Robinson was obviously interim for a bit and then you know he's later was made Perman twenty twenty four. But they've had Rick Stone, they had Simon Wolford, they had Chris Norman as an interim coach, ad Ian Watson, and it just seems to be like a culture problem at the club, you know, a leadership problem. They're a very closed off club. They don't do a lot of media, a lot of engagement. Their crowds have just gone down and down, so you really question how much you know, engagement the community they do. They've got stadium issues. They want to move to Halifax, but you sort of wonder how that's going to just move into a small stadium is going to help them. You know, are their fans in Huddersfield going to travel with Halifax. I know it's not far, but that never really seems to work. And they've just sort of had the same leadership there for a long long time. Obviously, Richard Doilis is the manjor director, but you never really hear from him or see from him. The recruitment over the years has been terrible and while their academy have actually turned their academy around and have produced a few good players in recent years, but generally they've lost them or they've gone to other clubs. So I mean Dom Young it's probably the best example, and you know he's he's been great for the Knights in the NRL. Jake Wardle, you know, has one numerous trophies at Wigan and Price Will Price obviously he went down to the NRL, didn't do well at Newcastle Preserve, at Holly of C. They just can't seem to build anything. So you know, they've recycled through coach after coach, nothing really happens. They did have a good period at the start when I Watson came over and they finished third and made the Change Cup final and I think it was twenty twenty two, but then that went downhill and then he got the Acts in two years ago, so it's just, yeah, it's just the same old story for Hardest Well nothing really seems to improve.
Speaker 1: I think if you put them in sunny and a sunnier climate and change the color of the seats at the stadium and put a Gold Coast Titans kit on, it'd be there'd be so many similarities, wouldn't they in terms of in terms of if you like a franchise that just seems to be constantly do And I think Rugby League clings on to Huddersfield a little bit because it's the birthplace of the game, but the reality is it probably hasn't ever really brought And this is going to sound horrible and Huddersfield fans might cancel us now, they might never listen to this podcast again. But they've not brought that much to Super League basically in thirty years. Quite frankly. If anything, they've brought more questions. They've brought more sadness or contemplation about their crowds and their performances. And I think back to the Huddersfield Sheffield merger, the ill fated merger. So there's just been one thing after another after another, and they're playing what was at the time a shining new stadium. I don't know how good it looks and fields now more still, so it was twenty five years old. Basically, I was there two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: It's nice, it's a nice stadium. But if you only get five thousand people turned up and it's what twenty two twenty four thousand capacity, it doesn't look or sound great. But the thing that you mentioned the birthplace of the rugby league, and that gets mentioned. The reality is it was only the birthplace of the rugby league because it was in between where all these clubs were meeting. Yeah they were coming from Lancashire and wherever, and yes, from Yorkshire. It wasn't you know the game didn't start in hospital because it was a stronghold of rugby league. I mean Huddersfield town. The local soccer club get a lot bigger grounds, so it's a football town. Basically it is a football town. And look there's a there is a rugby league fan base there and there are rugby league clubs there and it's obviously in an area of West Yorkshire where you've got Halifax and Leeds and you know Wakefield all relatively close. But it is more of a football town. But the thing is that they seem to be quite a backward club. To me, Huddersfield they don't really seem very modern, you know, they don't. I mean not that this is the Bill and end or, but they don't hold a media day at the start of the year. They do a sponsors thing and they invite three journos Son. They're never really trying. Like you're talking about crowds and marketing your team and your club, they don't really do much to actually, you know, try and engage and get publicity, and you know, you've got to do things if you want people to come and see your team. And it's not just about a winning team. I had Hardersfield saying that, you know, we want to It's like your team doesn't always win. You know that's reality. But you build connections, don't you with fans. You know, you go into schools, you get publicity, and you try and get attention and you build that relationship. And it just doesn't seem there are some die hard Huddersfield fans out there, but they're just there's clearly not enough of them.
Speaker 1: And I mean, we're going to talk soon about the potential for an NRL purchase and I think Huddersfield will be absolutely in the crossairs if if they're going to trim the competition again, you can tweet John because he loves tweeting Johnny. He just loves it at Johnny D Davidson. And I've pulled out a couple of the tweets that you've done in the last week. Which kit did you say was awful?
Speaker 2: I already get blamed that I having a genure against Lee, But yeah, the league kit that I wore against Wakefield was I might describe it, or I might just have a look at the highlights. Now, well you can have a look. It's kind of multi dotted red, white, black. But it reminds me of the vomit kid that the Socceros wore in nineteen ninety three, which you know, it looks like someone's thrown up and it's just a sorrow. It's just a personal preference. There's a bit of a nose coming from my phone while I look at the highlights. Look, we've got to be careful about criticizing kits. Remember a couple of weeks ago I said Wiggan's kit was awful to lose. Apparently that was because they were wearing a special kit for a young girl. That that you've been careled.
Speaker 1: And somebody emailed me and they said, I don't want to make you feel awfully, but I'm about to make you feel awful. But I appreciated it, and I did feel awful, and I do feel awful, and I forgot to mention it last week. But what I'm going to say back is I don't know if Wiggan made it clear that that widely, and I think if they're going to do something like that, they probably need to do it at home, not an away game to lose. Because I looked at the kit on the highlights, I didn't know the backstory. I looked at it thought that kid's awful. That's not Wigan. I used to work at Wigan, so I'm very conscious of what the color schemes.
Speaker 2: Are and whatnot.
Speaker 1: And my first instinct was that kit's awful. And then it turns out it was a tribute kit to a local young lady who's not been very well. So my love to that family and well done Wigan for doing that.
Speaker 2: But maybe to lose away wasn't the best option.
Speaker 1: So I'll look at the leak kit in the minute while you talk in a minute, while you talk about and we talk about the next tweet that I think you did on Saturday players dropping like flies brutal Nikola. Jane Lawson centers a question and said, as a quest of speed up the game impacted the Super League injury crisis, constant six agains leading to more pressure on joints and muscles with the twisting, turning and speed required constantly moving back from tackles, all for us not to have a cleaner ruck anyway, in my opinion, Billy Stead only matter of an hour ago, I think I said the standard officials in Super League right now, and the fact the six again rule is so different depending on who refts it and why it's so different game to game, I am huge, John. I keep injury stats every year. In the NRL, before Round three started there were fifty nine injured players, so that is three squads of nineteen plus one. I think if my master at maybe it was fifty eight. In the Super League it was eighty nine hundred players before round five.
Speaker 2: I think there was another probably another ten to add, at least probably in the last two days.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I said before round five, so add another ten and right, so right now, across our top competitions, our two top competitions. We've got the equivalent of eight squads out now. When is somebody who is paid good money at the top of the game in England or Australia going to start up to look at what we are doing to our players because we're obsessed with what happens above the neck. You get hit around the head, your SimBin sent off. It's the end of the world and you've stood down for a few weeks as a player if you've been hit around the head. But John, I have my moments where old football injuries come back to bite me. If I'd have played top level all my life, I have no doubt that right now I would really be struggling to walk, to do things, et cetera, et cetera. Everything below the neck has a mental impact as well, so it inadvertently impacts the above. The next scenario. We are treating our players like they are cattle. It's gone crazy now soon I'll let you mention your tweet in a moment. This is something I'm really passionate about, John. The game in England has obviously switched to six again rule and the faster rucks, and as I say, in England, I don't think the preseason is long enough. The season ends for so many well, first of all, it ends a week later than it does in the NRL, even though it starts a month or two earlier. We've also had the Ashes, and every year there's something international for England because the RFL needs to raise money, so our players don't get proper physical conditioning. In Australia, I think they do too much, and it's too brutal because of the amount of injuries that happened before the season. So I think somewhere in the middle is the answer. I've spoken about that on this podcast before. But ultimately, the one common denominator between the two competitions right now is the rock speed and the sixer games, and that goes to Billy's question about the refereeing and the interpretations, but also to Nicholas question about the physical aspects and the physical impacts of the players. So, John, I've had my little ramt. What say you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I agree with you in part. I think the spinning of the rock you know, has surely had has been a factor. I think there are a number of factors, and you've got to I'm sort of careful not to lump everything down to one thing, because you know, two of the injuries I think in the in the Catalans game against Whole Car were concussions.
Speaker 1: You know, So John, John, I'm going to stop you right there. Concussions can be because you are fatigued without knowing you're fatigue and you've put.
Speaker 2: They can be And then you could say the hip drop on the Helan On host the s Helen's four the week before technique. Well yeah, but there was just you know, there are tired, Yeah, there's the games faster. Yeah. Yeah, I mean but I think I think there are a number of factors and I think I think you are bang on about the preseason, the lack of rest. You know, the season is way too long, and you look at until you know wherever it was a couple of years ago, you know there was the Easter program where players would played two games in three days. Yeah, you know, and they were doing that to reason. I remember interviewing a number of Australian kiwis players that they just couldn't really believe it, but it was you know, pointed out, this is what we do here and blah blah blah. But it was just basically because they knew they would make more money in that weekend because they have games on public holidays where more people could attend. So the players there is no players union in the UK, so you know, the player welfare is almost non existent. But I think the preseason is a big thing that the shortness of it. They played way too many games in the UK. You know, the season started mid feb and the first Super Leagues that season started thirty years ago on the twenty nine till March, so somehow we've got like six weeks earlier. I looked at it.
Speaker 1: It was about two thousand, two thousand and one we started to creep it up basically. And there's also the Challenge Cup, you know, which is another tournament that doesn't exist there all. So yeah, we need and look, I think I think player loads, you know, I've had one coach, you know, commenting about another coach, you know, allegedly being quite bad with Maine managing training loads. There is a lack of depth, so you know, I think certain players probably have to play more games to carry teams than others. Yeah, it's it's just not a good look and there definitely needs to be someone looking at it because you know, the product if it isn't already suffering, will suffer. And it's it's just not great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, players are breaking down a lot more so we need to look at we need to look at rest periods, and we need to look at what strength and conditioning he's doing. We need to look at you know, fixtures. You know they're supposed to be a mandatory. You know about how many minutes players can play this season? You know, is that don't need to be reduced. I think you know, there's lots of things we should be looking at. But yeah, it's not it's it's it is a real concern because every time, particularly this weekend and Super League, watch a game and you're like, okay, there's an injury, that guy's getting carried off. You know, Catlans, I think Catlans lost four players. I think it was during the game, as in you know, count in the field. And I think the NRL moving to the six main bench. I think that's a good idea. And I've been criticized by some in a row players, but I think that's a step forward. But yeah, it's it's a massive, massive concernly.
Speaker 1: Because they because they're dropping so much like flies in super League. It's smacks of underconditioning. Okay, so it would be like me and you go and playing super League. Now we would get injured in five minutes because we've not trained for the game. Well, no, we're not going to touch the ball for four minutes and forty no, no, no, I'm good. I do a bit of running. So so there's that that they definitely look under conditioned in in England. In Australia they look sometimes overconditioned. That you can't accuse the players of not being ready to play at the start of round one in many cases because they ultra fit over here. This constant effort to speed up the game is putting people inositions where they're fatigued. Like our question said, they're putting their heads in the wrong place, putting their limbs in the wrong place. And I was due to be on the Loose Carry podcast. Sorry, I am still on the Loose Carry podcast in a couple of hours from this recording, and Chad Townsend was going to be on there but apparently is not now. I was going to ask him because he's on the Rugby League Players Association. They need to get together and sort this out because I don't know any competition in the world where do some quick maths? Eight squads of thirty one? How many top flight teams as they? So there's fourteen top flight teams in the UK and there's seventeen in England. Is that thirty one? Seventeen in Australia. Yeah in Australia. Sorry, yeah, so thirty one. So eight of thirty one nearly one third of our top flight sports people, Yeah, are injured. And if we were having, I don't know, a big boxing match and one boxer was half injured, it would impact the event of the It would impact the event, wouldn't it right? And if the Premier League had one third of its players unavailable, there'd be less quality players playing in the Premier League, the Champions League, etc. I just think something has to change urgently because just because it's not getting the attention that head knocks get, it's really scary. Johnny's jab this week. People who think increasing the salary cap in England won't stop players going to the NRL talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was on the back of, obviously Mikolai Lensky the announcement that he would be signing for Perth, joining them at the end of the year. Now, I broke the story that the Perth were after him just before round one, copped a bit of stick from some Leeds fans on Twitter, and then obviously michaela I spoke at the season launch and he was sort of saying there's nothing in it, blah blah blah. Now, probably not the smartest comments to make, but look, you know, fans seem to think, you know, clubs and players. Everything they said is say is you know, sometimes they can't say what they really think. Well, you know they're smart enough to you know, obsercate shall we say, alleged decay. Yeah, yeah, but look he's going And if you look at it from a Leeds point of view, so they're losing Newman, they're losing McDonald and they're losing a LEDs kid Ulti Perth are three England internationals, two of them that they've produced. Obviously McDonald was a Wigan jr who signed for Leeds, so that's a big blow. And also if you look at it from the Super League competition, there is quite an exodus at the moment of players going to the ERROL. So there's those three, there's George Williams, who's also going. Morgan Oles left and joined the Dolphins, didn't he Morgan Gannon also left Leeds to go and join the Warriors. And I think there's one or two others that I'm forgetting off the top of my head, but they're all England international so they're amongst the best players in the competition, apart from Gannon who's played for the United and will no doubt one day play for England in a senior international. So this was the It is a bit of a concern obviously Perth and p and G coming in and Perth have really targeted. I went Trout, that's the other one, sorry, Owen. Trout's going to Cronulla from Lee also played in the Ashes for England. So it's a real issue that, you know, the best players from Super League are going down to the ol being targeted. And there's been some talk in Super League amongst the clubs about raising the cap. I know Wigan we're pushing for it. That seems to have you know, there's enough opposition and a lot of fans seem to think it won't change anything, you know, but it will change. It won't stop all players going down roll, but it will stop some because the neral salary cap is three times higher than the super HIG. It hasn't grown for a long long time. And I think what Wigan we're advocating was dispensations for your own players that you've produced through your pathways. So you know, for leeds that would I mean, they could have offered Newman or Gannon or Oledski, you know, more money under the cap or that isn't including the cap. And I think that's a very smart way to incentivize these clubs to produce your own partner players.
Speaker 1: What happens is club clubs and towns where where there's not many local juniors, they rally against that in the meetings and it all comes down to numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the meeting, that's what happens. The thing is that people for is that these clubs that produce, you know, the most players, a lot of them are players that aren't actually from the towns that look at mentioned Wigan. So we're going to have got Morgan Smithi's and Mary Nicholson playing in the n RF for camera. They're both from Halifax, Halifax. You know, you know we're going to have done that with our players. Luc At sint Helen's you know down to resources. Doesn't it come down to.
Speaker 1: The ability to pay a scout or give the scout six tracks and say go to Halifax family player.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: In terms of your point about the salary cap, movement between England and Australia used to be very common because the English game was played in the winter, the Australian game was played in the eighties, Yeah yeah, and the yeah and ang on, let me talk, and and the previous ninety years before it John right, So players used to move between countries quite regularly, and they could because they could finish their season go over. And then all of a sudden we brought it in line in ninety six. I remember in ninety six Phil Clark happened to be at the Roosters and then there wasn't anything for a few years, and then Adrian Morley was the first to jump across, and then a few years later Burgess Graham. That's basically how it went. Now it's turning into a procession. The only reason it's changed is because of finances. Because of financial the NRL has been the best competition in the world throughout that time. Since at least ninety six when we aligned our competition. So this talk of the salary cap is right. The problem that Peter's got, the problem Wigan I've got, is until the structure of the league, until the structure of the meetings are such that the powerful clubs get more power, basically because of you know the realities of the competition. There's currently fourteen teams in Super League. If they all got one vote in a meeting, you can bet your bottom dollar that the lower clubs will be slabbing down on any suggestions of increasing the salary cap. And then then look that then depends on how the league gets restructured, if it gets restructured again, and we've got points to talk about that too, John. This week the Rugby League Tweet of the Week, Lee's laugh, Media watch, every other, every other facet of what we're doing on this podcast. The award goes to Bill Quinn, the Oldham chairman. Now you sent me that tweet and I think I started one of my days with that this week, right, so Friday morning, Yeah, thank you. And I'm watching this half asleep, so I'm sort of not listening to it and I'm hearing this guy go on about Bill Quinn. Bill Quinn doesn't do this, Bill Quinn does that. Bill Quinn brother, I thought, oh, I thought the Oldham chairman was Bill Quinn, because I looked at the tweet of Oldham chairman and I thought the Oldham chairman was Bill Quinn. And by the time I got to about seven minutes of listening to this, I checked and yes it was Bill Quinn talking about Bill Quinn. So that's my first laugh, second laugh. And it was in his first few verses of his of his sermon, he was criticizing whoever used to do the contracts for putting in things like you play ten games, you get a ballers, you do this, you get a ball. In other words, every rugby league contract that's ever existed, basically, so criticizing them for in an NRL a contract sorry that has ever existed, the same kind of contract that every other club in the NRL Super League Championship quents and Cup does right New South Wales Cup. Thirdly, criticizing all these fans. We seem to have more keyboard warriors than everyone else. No, Bill, that's because they're the only ones that you look at me. Fourthly, he needs somebody to look after his messaging. He was all over the show, and he did nineteen minutes of it. Even people on social media were saying, can anybody summarize this because I've not got nineteen minutes. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I mean, as you said at the start, whenever you start referring to yourself from a third person, it's never a good sign, is that we have Lee Addison laughed at it, Man and the other bit. When you start attacking your own fans, I mean, I don't really know what you're going to achieve with that. No, I mean you're always going to get Look at the modern world. I can go outside now and say the sky is blue, when someone will go on social media and say, no, it's green, You're an idiot, Like you're always going to get criticism, are always going to get hate, whatever abuse. You've just got to suck that up because when you start attacking your own fans, whether they are right or wrong, you're just going to stop people, you know, buying your kit and going your games, and yeah, you're lumping them all all together. So yeah, that was an the thing that struck me. It's just like how how an English frum the League is there so many owners who are just like a little bit out there, like it's it's a common you know, We've had it with Mark Cambell at Featherstone, we had it at Kukash at Salford. You know, we've got it with certain owners and Super League in a moment they're just they're a little bit a little bit mad.
Speaker 1: I think you've got to be mad to just throw your money at something and that you know is going to make a profit, isn't going to make a profit.
Speaker 2: And I do understand that, but it is a decision you don't have to make. And you know there would be clubs. You know, obviously the owners who put their money in are great, but it doesn't also give you a right to just go out and slag off the fans and employees and just you know, you know what I mean, Like if you buy a club, yes it is a business, but it is also something as a fabric of that community, and it means more than just you know, a business that sells tickets and whatever else, like it's you know, while it's professional sport, there also is something a bit deeper than that. And I think you know, any owner or at least you know, the smart lines real is they are custodians of that club for a certain period. And I think it was Steve mascod and I've said this before. You know, he twittered, would you see you know the owner of the La Lakers, or the owner of the Brisbane Broncos, or you know, the owner of Manchester City coming out with a nineteen minute video like that.
Speaker 1: You know there's a good Now the chairman of man City, not the owner. He just does want into view a year with an in house interviewer and comes across fantastically. The key issue, though, that we're missing is what is actually going on at Alden so well, from what I can gather because I had to pull it out of the nineteen minutes, what was trying to say. Basically, they're worried financially because they spent a lot of money on players, probably more money than the current administration believes they should have spent. So the blame game started and now there's players getting locked out and I had to laugh. Alan Kilshaw came from Keighley and two of the players have been loaned back to Keighley, So yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean part of it is the subtext is to foining out with mirke Ford who obviously left what was it a couple of rounds ago, and that's who you know, was in charge of contracts to the club. So there's a foining out there. Then there's the legal case with Boundary Park which is the homeground of Old Athletics, so they can't play there, which which Bill can talked about. And yeah, they are on a massive budget, probably too much money for the championship and they are jettison players. But yeah, it's just it's a bit of a mess, isn't it when you've got you know, allegations swimming around in court cases. You know, they're having to play at an amateur ground at bower Fold. Yes, it's just just a mess. But look it's a bit of light entertainment for those people who who who want to watch a nine en minute video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is all of be in trouble? Is the club going to be another Featherstone?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's in trouble no sense, because as I said, they had that winding up order that was paid off. They do have court cases going on. But Bill Quinn, you know, if you if you watched that video, he seems very committed. You know he's firing shots, but you know he won't give up. So look he seems yeah, but yeah, it's it's not It's not a great way to run your club, is it. And if you look at the best owners saying super League, you know you don't have Neil Hodgell coming out with that. You don't have Mike Dainson coming out with that. It's just not a great one. I don't have Shake Mansur coming out with that. Yeah, I mean, yeah, that's it's just yeah, it's not a good look for them, the Blazers that united. It's not a good look for the sports, A good look for an olden thing, is it.
Speaker 1: James has only sent me two poems this week, and the second one was this is the official offering thanks James. York's performance at Wigan was a major super League building brick Castleford with the victims as Warrington's attack produced every magic trick early in the season. Bradford Saints, Wakefield Leeds also to lose, are doing fine, while Lee and hul K are are too close to super League tables bottom line, while hulland Catalans one of venues far flung. Huddersfield are still stuck on the ladder's bottom.
Speaker 2: Wrong.
Speaker 1: I think I think one poem per podcast is probably enough. You're not the one dealing with these, mate. You just sit there. You all you do is turn up for an hour each week. I'm the one who gets all the correspondence make That's what happens when you're the talent. So, James, you've heard, you've heard from John. He was very unimpressed with your poem. He's happy with just mine news items. Aleski is going to Perth. You've already mentioned that the Super League exodus. You've already mentioned that, John, you need to learn that when you send topics if we end up talking about them anyway, they're sort of Wolvenine salary cap increase. We've also mentioned that. So now the the latest on the NRL takeover, because there was a bit of movement this week, wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Well, it was the story in forty twenty magazine. Now, our colleagues at forty twenty who had in a report that it could be up to a two hundred and fifty million five year offer for the for the ANNERL to invest in Super League, tied to Tony Mestra of Tony Mestrov, sorry, mess becoming the kind of just having a minised stroke at the moment becoming of the RFL, which is all. It's all very interesting, look my understanding, and I've tried to stand up what I could and speak to a lot of people this week. There haven't hasn't been a formal offer as yet, that hasn't been term set. Now it seems to me that one Super League owner club owner is putting out this two hundred and fifty million five year figure, and it would make sense in that if it was fifty million a year, you could break that down into being say two to three million per year for each super club or fourteen of them, and then obviously there would then be money that would need to go to the RFL to continue operating, and we need money to go to the Championship to continue existing. And then hopefully you would think some money for marketing and promotion, which is badly needed because the Super League clubs at the moment or twelve of them, are getting one point three million in a year from Sky and you're going to lose to getting six hundred and fifty grand and you know clubs are losing between one to two million each year, So you'd need you'd think that the offer, if it's going to get support, if it's going to get voted in, it's going to have to be at least two to three million per club, isn't it. Well.
Speaker 1: The other thing is Paul Kent, who tends to have is his say on these things and also podcast. Yeah, and he said he doesn't think. He doesn't think the MRL can afford that figure.
Speaker 2: He was he was saying that they're going to use money from the federal government, which is the six hundred million for P ANDG. I think that's illegal. Yeah, I don't think. I don't think that's credible or plausible personally. I think where the majority of the fifty million, if that is the figure, if it's something like that, would be twenty one or whatever around that from Sky for three games a week. Then Dezone would come in with maybe fifteen to twenty million for the other three games, and then BBC would also show a game, so that you've got seven games. BBC wouldn't be paying anything, and then maybe the NRL, whether it be with you know, increased sponsorship or whatever, maybe it would ship in some money. But fifty pence, you know, maybe five to ten million a year. I'm not sure. I don't know that for a fact. This is just you know, what would be logical. But I think broadcast would be a big part of any investment of it because obviously the NRL has got the connections and the expertise in it negotiating, which clearly RFL hasn't in previous years. And also I've spoken to someone at our commercial about this. It would make zero sense for all of Super League to go to his own and be behind it because his own in terms of subscribers, I don't know how many subscribers has in the UK, but it's very very low, while with Sky it's got a massive subscriber base for PATV, so you don't want to hide the whole sport behind you know, a very small PATV provider that barely anyone has.
Speaker 1: So I genuinely think the loss of Brian Karney and John Wilkin from there. I think the hour they do before games, or the half hour they do before some games, is adding so much value to the rugby league discussion discussion in the UK right now, So any deal that sees them shelved it can't be good for the game, and I think when I think of John Wilkin and Brian Khne in what they offer before a game, that's better than what I and Steve O used to offer. I think Eddie and Steve O were fantastic in the commentary box, but I think what John and Brian are bringing is some genuine insightful critique of many of the things that are going on in the game, and you can tell his real care there and I think it's fantastic raw tellent. I think John Wells has been fantastic over the years too, So I've got to think about these things as well from an English game point of view. Review of games from the last round and I'm going to go with the most recent one first because I think the world's turned back on its access today because City won a cup, Tottenham kept losing, Huddersfield decided things aren't great and got rid of their coach, but Hull left c beat Leeds. Hull LEFC sixteen fourteen to Leeds at halftime, but Hull LEFC twenty four leads sixteen tries for Hole from Arthur sal Litton and six Hardacre goals. Leeds tries MacDonald and Croft and Connor scored four goals. Did you see this game? It's whole second victory of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a big It was a really massive result for for Holo of CE. I think John Cartwright has been under a fair bit of pressure. They only won one game and to be honest, they're not played well or they do have a lot of injuries, but you know, they're just they've underperformed so far this year. So I think Leeds coming in off the Challenge Cup loss to Wakefield, which is a bit of surprise, you would expect them, you know, with their ambitions and their squad to really you know, to put the boot into Hall of CEA and it was anything and it was anything, but it was a really entertaining game. Leeds discipline was poor, you know, Miller I think made some some took some poor options and they were they were they were fighting for it Leeds, but just for a lot of energy and yeah, a fantastic win for them and really much needed because I think obviously Luke Robinson has got the acts and Ryan car As another coach under pressure at the moment, and I'm sure we'll talk about that in the second but I think John cart Right. You know, there's been a lot of investment at hard seeing they did well last year and I think, you know, the expectation is to replicate that, if not going further. So I don't think, you know, people were happy with the start that I'd have so big, big, big win for them. And yeah, Jake Arthur has copped a lot, was very good today as well. We've got one over his dad. They did, he did.
Speaker 1: Leads are a great attacking side. I'm going to be interested to look at this game. I forget the time because I think their defense and their defensive structure is there Achilles heel and I've mentioned it since round one, so I'd be interesting to see how things unfolded, because I think they really need to click in attack to protect their defense, basically because I think because of a fast US, I think some of the defensive patterns that I'm seeing in Super League are conducive to the style of football that's being played. I think their spacings are too wide, and I think because of the speed of the rook it's easy for the opposition to get go forward. So it'll be interesting to look at that. Wigan beat York on Thursday We did that for after the hooter on straight after the game, and we'll be doing Thursday's game this week too for after the hooter. The key thing is Wigan one twenty through twenty two. But the key thing is that I want to ask you about, is the any update on the York players injury?
Speaker 2: McShane No, I've not heard anything so far.
Speaker 1: I'm going to chase that up tomorrow, but which is Monday in Yes, Yeah, but I mean sometimes you don't always get a response, So the wait on the NHS, mate, that's the problem. Might be be eighteen might be eighteen months. Wakefield eighteen Lee fourteen tries for Waki from Tavanga, Myyers and Pratt, three goals to jow It, Lee scored through O'Brien, Charnie and Alec Wayank and a goal to Cook.
Speaker 2: What was this game like, John? Yeah? I think Lee will much improved. Obviously they've had a tough start of the season, a lot of injuries as well, but they you know, they gave it there all. They're just very much down on troops. I think Wakefield they did concede a trial right at the end which kind of blew the score perhaps a little bit closer and then there was a terrible There was a kick in from Fatilli that O'Brien went to kind of kick away and missed, which was a gift for Wakefield. But look, Wakefield turned a bit of corner, a couple of wins now on the beut On Johnson back which was which was massive for them. So yeah, really a good victory for Wakefield. They'll be very pleased with that if it wasn't a perfect performance, but at the end of the day, a win is a win. Yeah, pick up a bit of momentum now the trend.
Speaker 1: Wakefield coach Daryl Powell wasn't particularly happy with the performance, but I'm with you. I think it's a good result for Wakefield and I think they've been quite impressive in their defeats too, so I think Wakefield are going to be in or around it when the Whips are cracking in terms of lee. Apparently they are down to eighteen fit players now and that can't help. But even so, the eighteen that were left for very poor with their discipline and it was a seven to one penalty count at half time and in the second half Jack Hughes got SimBin after they'd conceded a stream of first half penalties, So I don't care who goes on the field. If you're real disciplined, you're always going to going to pay the price, particularly in this quick rock six again.
Speaker 2: Era that we are in.
Speaker 1: Bradford only scored four at halftime, Huddersfield had two on the board, but by the end of the game it was twenty six fourteen to Bradford. Bradford's tries ruin They weren't ruined anything, they were they were they won. Nick Arema scored two. I think they're his first two for the club, aren't they And Hooleyoo, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was his he'd been injured before well in pre season and hadn't played for them, So yeah, it just was a really close game, very tight, and it was the Nick Arema show. Really second half. I think both the tries they were highlights that I saw. He basically just really took the line on rend hard and you know, took two or three players over the line with him, so just pure strength. So yeah, good a good win. I mean, hordes Field a look at the whipping boys of the competition of the moment, So I think Bradford, you know, would have been expecting to win this game at home. But again Bradford have you know lost players from from last weekend. Yeah, they had to draft in has to Addisfield a draft in some light daies but good for good for Bradford and obviously yeah, it proved to be the final eighty minutes for for Loke Robinson.
Speaker 1: Wholey contributed ten points to Bradford's score with a trying three goals, acting kicked two others. Huddersfield's try came from Sorry, tries came from Powell and Gaguy, and Russell kicked three goals. Third successive home Super League win for Bradford and a fifth successive league defeat for Huddersfield and Luke Robinson is in the doll qu this week to lose sixteen Saint Helen's thirty. It was twenty eight mil at halftime. Laguerre Paul Celly and Dupree scored tries for to lose. Shorrecks kicked two. I can't help but think that this was after the fact that they've been put to the sword basically and St Helens took their took their foot off the pedal. Somewhat PARSI Murphy scored to Clemma got off the new run. Was that his first try for the season. Cross scored for Saint Helen's. Hastings slotted over five goals the dominant first half from Saint Helen's John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were. They were electric in that first half, throwing the ball around, making line breaks. To lose to a lot of rabbits in the headlights. So Tristan Saylor especially an attack was it was fantastic that leap that he did, and then the offload off the ground for Clemer's try was was beautiful. And I think St Helens they lost their luggage a bit of an airline mix up, so they had a bit of adversity going to the game. But yeah, they were. They were fantastic and Allan's again a lot of young players in there, and I think it might have even been a debut or two, but missing quite a few players, but that was a really, really good performance. I think they also lost George Whitby to h i A who was off the bench, So yeah, dealing with adversity and it was just it was the first time first half demolition. So disappointing for to lose because the game the Twitter I was virtually over. They did come back into it, but get comfortable from Saint Helens in the end.
Speaker 1: I think we're going to talk about this next game in a bit of detail. Warrington seventy two, Castle for six. I want to talk about Castleford first. I've been championing the fact that they've not been going too bad, even though they've been losing games. And people must think I've been on the Amsterdam cakes after what happened at the weekend, because I can't explain that one, because because I've been studying Warrington too. I did an analysis on them last week. The defense has vastly improved. The attack looked a tiny bit clunky at times, as if timing was a little bit off. They obviously got their timing perfect. But when you lose a game seventy two six, like Castleford did. It was thirty two six at halftime, it literally looked, seems to me Castleford did not turn up at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I mean I think that's fair. I mean they lost, they lost the captain Joe Siphs Dimpson early a for for an h i a in the you know, the start of the game. But they were dreadful casts you know, I think part of it was was Warrington was really up for this and you know, they were on they were on fire. But Casts were utterly awful. And I think Ra the wigga Jesus, he's he has had a shocking start to his Castleford career. I think a lot of the tries were scored on his his edge. But look, the loss wasn't down to him, like there was poor performances all across the Cast team and Ryan Carr really gave it. You know, he unleashed in his in his post match presser. I think, you know, he used victim mentality and you know he was he was very blunt with his players, and yeah, I've been the same as you Lee in what I've seen from Cass. Obviously, they beat Huddersfield, uh and I think they were pretty credible in Round one against Wigan. I'm just trying to remember the other games they weren't They weren't great against the loose, but they've been competitive and this was just kind of out of character. You know. I caught up with Ryan Carr in pre season and there's a lot of change at Castleford around the stadium and everything, and a lot of new players coming in. But yeah, this this was a real low point. You just yeah, the biggest, the biggest hiding that we've had so far the season, what five rounds in I dare say it's one of the biggest defeats Castleford I've suffered too. I think you're right. Yeah, for a long long time. I think it's something like twenty odd years. It's not that long really.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's when when when a club, when a club is parennially near the bottom, right, so Huddersfield are a perfect example. Castleford have had moments where they've been a bit higher et ceterable. There tends to be something a lot more than just a coach.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think the difference between Ryan Carr and Luke Robinson is Ryan Carr has only just arrived and there will be things within the walls at Castleford, within the DNA of the club that that have impacted this result this weekend.
Speaker 2: And if.
Speaker 1: If you compare that to say Lee and ok Are, who are struggling for wins at the moment, it's probably the other way there. They've probably there's probably been a little bit of subconscious relaxation because they've been going to oh, well, what's the term, I'm looking for complacency.
Speaker 2: It's early morning still for me, Joe.
Speaker 1: And then the metal red hot Warrington and I think, what one thing that's happened here is Castleford have turned up not quite in the right frame of mind. Was this a Saturday game?
Speaker 2: It was yes, saurday afternoon again.
Speaker 1: Right, They've only scored one try. Vlame scored and Weaver kicked the goal. But Warrington looked like they've put on a clinic. But just looking at the details, Castleford just can't have turned up. Corey scored two tries for Warrington. Ashton scored three, but not to be outdone, Tanganoa scored for Hoppo, Artist scored one Stone and Harrison goals twelve from Irwin. Right, they've got to support Ryan Carr because they need change at that joint. They need they need to support him because this this isn't a coach thing. Because when I look at this result compared to the other performances I've seen, it's it makes the other performances look like they've overachieved because they've got this in them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, we're not doing a die on cast right now, but you can look at you know, after the Daryl Powell era, and obviously they had that high point of what was the twenty seventeen when they made a Grand Final, one of the league leaders. You know, they never really have seemed to be able to move on from that. Clearly. They've had a lot of coaches. You know, Lee Radford was there for a bit, Andy Last was there for a bit. They had his name escapes me. He's now at Sheffield, Greg Lingard, Danny maguire and now obviously Ryan Carr and a lot of new players have come in as well, Chris Chester's coming last year. So yeah, I think I think there needs to be time at the cast of it. Look, I think some of the group and hasn't been great and I think some of those players are not up to it. But yeah, I think there needs to be time because I think just constantly sacking the coach doesn't get hit right, you know, with the hope of the next coach being better than the last or getting more out of the group. I don't think that works. And if you look at Ryan cast career, you know he did a great job at Featherstone at a fabit of time under Brad Arthur at Para faverit of time. It's sort of Georgia Lawara under fun again. I think he is a good coach. Uh so, yeah, but that was Yeah, they were so soft casts particularly in defense. It was just like a knife through butter at times, and Warrington looked Warrington. They're undefeated therefore from four. You know they've not played you know, a whole kr or a Wigan as of yet. But they did beats and helms around one and got a credit my credit. Gave some credit to Sam burgess On on Twitter because you know he was close to again sacked last year and obviously they had a change. They got rid of Martin Gleason and broad in Steve Maner and everyone's quick to point out it's all Steve McNamara, which is interesting because he got sacked by a cat. Well, but yeah, Steve manaor is a good coach. I'm not saying it isn't, but I think there's more than just an assistant coach coming in. It's been a lot of change at Warrington. You know, they moved on a few players after being a big one. You know, there was discipline issues, but they've turned around the corner a big time Warranton. It's still early and a lot can happen, but you know, fair play to them for what they've done early on in the in the season.
Speaker 1: Huge win for Catalans twenty six two tries Solipovich, Navarette scored one and Mark scored one. Not surname Mark, not first name Mark Golds from Sexton who've scored five AKR scored twenty points. But again Catalans were well ahead at half time. Fourteen six OKRs trays came from may Burgess a mole four goals from Lewis Hulking. Some Rovers have suffered their third defeat in their opening four games. They got the customer winn at Huddersfield. Catalans were twenty to six up at one point after the hour. So again I think problems at whole k are I think, Look, I read the Australian News and every other day it's Willie Peters is in demand here, Willie Peters in demand there, and Willie Peters as a friend, et cetera. He wants to sign a contract quickly, I think because it looks like his ok our team were unraveling somewhat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know about unraveling. I think you might be a touch as there. But look, this was a fantastic game from the neutral point of view. I think people forget how difficult it is to go to Calian's. They went there. But the Dragons were fantastic. As I said, they lost I think it was four players during the game. Their players were dropping like flyers and they just they really took it the whole k are. They were, they were really committed. Didn't stop the effort that the try for Mark at the end you know set up by for Tapi with the offload drawing the two players was was brilliant. And this was just a really gutsy displayed by the Dragons and you are right with who. There was a few you know moments is where Michael Lewis was arguing with Jesse Litton and players playing for penalties you know Hiccu made It was really bad attempts to tackle and in defense on a few of those tries. So yeah, it's just standards maybe not where they need to be for whole k are. So yeah, you know, not not a great start for them. But yeah, John Tompkins, massive credit to him and the Cartlands boys for for what they did there. It was a really, really big win, and yeah, showed a lot of a lot of courage.
Speaker 1: The title win last year for whole KR was built to defense. They averaged nine points against them a game in the finals, eleven in the competition. They are leaking a lot of points this year. The second half against Brisbane, a game that they'd won in the first half, they ship the points in in the second half. That there's there's so many things in jo KRS game. I looked at them quite quite a lot in depth prior to the World Club Challenge. If you look at the Rugby League Coach YouTube, and I found some things that weren't quite up to scratch, that weren't exposed. And now the faster rucks could because in JOK are real problems and they just don't look like they've adapted to me just yet. And like I stand by it, Willie Peters is to sign a contract quick at Perth or Manly or England or wherever, because it's going to be it's going to be tough. They I said this homage podcast a few weeks ago. Nothing fails like success. People ease off a little bit, people start getting a bit excited about where they are in life, and they lose that edge sometimes that that raised on Deetra, that that edge that drives them over the line. And there was big forces pushing who k are over the line last year, the fact they'd not won a title for forty years, the fact that they've been in the shadow of their neighbors who left c for so much of that. And I also think the loss of McLaurin and Jared we were a hard Graves are two very big people within the organization and on the field that are being missed too.
Speaker 2: So look.
Speaker 1: Quite often, to win a title or titles, it's a fusion of so many things. It's certain players in the peak of their career at that time, with some youngsters and with some senior players. And then if some of those things are a slightly different year after, things can be things can be very different. And so far and this current evidence, John, they look very different. We're getting some questions, John.
Speaker 2: I say, I'm just to add to your point out lead. I think second season syndrome, in the sense that it's very hard to go back to back, isn't it. You know, it's it's very difficult. And they won four trophies in a row, which is a phenomenal feat. But you want how long those standards can start? But I don't I don't think, you know, I think they can come back this season. I don't think it's you know, all over for them in March. And and also on the Willie Peters thing, I think, I mean, I don't know this for a fact, but I think it's unlikely that you'd leave mid season. I think if he you know, if he, if he goes, I just need to sign the contract. Yeah, in a contract I'll say at the end of the year. Yeah, Because I think I think that, you know, taking over a coup mid season is fraught with a lot of difficulties. No, no, no one have a suggested that I just need to sign the contract. Yeah, Adam m asked us, why do some coaches fans seem to feel obligated to an even penalty count? Novel concept, but maybe a lopsided penalty count, Maybe because one team isn't performing as well as the other. E g.
Speaker 1: York six against count versus Wigan was huge as they kept interfering with the ball in the ruck.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll just start with this.
Speaker 1: The Peter Landy's made a great point last week about the clamor for the six agains to be reduced, even though I think the referees might have done it a little bit in the NRL, just reduced it a little bit because the score lines were blowing out, and they seem to have blown out a little less this weekend. But he said over to you, he said, stop breaking the rules. And you know, to me, that's a mic drop moment. And I guess to this question from Adam, I don't know if coaches and fans seem obligated for it to be even I just don't think they appreciate seven to one and eight one or ten to one, because every time I've been on the end of one of those as a coach, I've looked at the opposition doing exactly the same things as us, if not worse. So, yes, York would have interfered with the ball in the rock, but I'm sure Wigan did too, but just maybe did it a little bit smarter or.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, as a coach more than mely. But I'm sure every coach you know teaches their team to try and bend the rules where you can and get away with what you can. Obviously, you don't go out there to cheat in every area. But if you can, you know, get half a meter, you know, you doing nine and a half meters and get away with that. Or you can just hold down that player in the rock, you know, an extra second or half a second. You do that, don't you. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't.
Speaker 1: I think too much credit gets given to coaches for these things, xactly players that are grubby bastards after the time. I have never coached a team to be it dirty or rip the ball or anything like that. But I've coached plenty of players who did rip at the ball, who did do dirty things because that was just in their makeup and they did so they did everything they could to hide it from me. So the players football IQ is a thing too, and what a coach has to do is control that basically and make sure it doesn't go out of get out of hand. Mark Williamson asked a fantastic question, how can you plan to attack on a pitch with oddsule's dimensions? So for those who don't know, it's quite significantly thin. A post Giants game, Robinson basically said, run hard for the first five then kick and hope for the best. Surely there's more to it decoy runs and dummy lines. Mark Well, I will say that that game plan obviously didn't help Robinson because he's now this week looking for a new job. I am probably going to analyze Bradford this week, John, And what I've seen so far from Bradford is the coach is asking them to play some football. But the key why it's successful at the moment is they are playing football coming out of their own twenty sometimes and they're not playing stupidly risky football. They're just moving the ball around, ice off loads when it's on, not when it's risky. They've also got quite a decent back three that get them some good go forward. Now, if you look at Bradford's success in their Super League era nineteen ninety seven stands out like dogs appendages because they were huge. They were huge and if I remember rightly, it was unlimited interchange era as well, and they just rolled over teams and that's one way of beating a team on a thinner pitch. Another way is to and a lot of teams do this anyway, and I don't understand why they do it so incessantly, but actually to set up in the middle of the field and split your halves so that people can run lines. Like Mark said, decoy runs back on the angle, etc. And so forth. Whereas Bradford at the moment and moving the ball I think in their own half quite a bit, but they're moving it smartly. People always think passing the ball is risky. Well it's not riskly risky if you do it smartly and you've worked on your skills. So Mark, please look out for that analysis video this week because I think I will look at Bradford. Have you got anything to add to that based on what you've seen?
Speaker 2: John? No, I mean I agree with you. I think you know the Historically the Bradford teams had massive wingers and massive centers and huge packs, didn't they And I think yeah, bashing someone through the middle is one way to do it. Obviously, playing off fast rocks. Interchange of passing inside and out and moving the ball quickly and you know from deep as well as another is another thing. And Bradford have done that not only when they're playing it odds are this season, but also you know the likes ofs and Helms and other you know the games that I've seen them, they've been doing that really well, and it's obviously something that they've been working on, and yeah, they've they've been very successful with so far.
Speaker 1: Because they're not being lateral in the in the sense that they're trying to go around teams there being lateral, are still trying to play through teams basically a lot and then that gets some go forward with the fast ups and then they and then they play.
Speaker 2: So for me, you know, I watch a lot of NRL, watch a lot of Super League, and it's something more teams should be should be doing from deep. You know. You see they'll get to a last tackle and there'll be thirty minute from their own try line and halfway at the ball and he's got two men overlap on his left and he just kicks it. You just think you've just got to move the shift the ball, which you should be able to do because you're a professional football and you have to skill. But obviously, you know there is that risk and you know, some coaches would rip a half back sead if he decided to play from there. But I like to see teams do that because you know, adds that bit of jeopardy. It's a bit more entertaining, its less predictable. So yeah, I applaud any team who can do it, and you know they're doing it in the right They're doing it, as you said, when it's on, not just throwing caution the win and trying to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're not taking undue risks if you've got the ability to catch and pass the football. Passing and catching the football isn't a risk and.
Speaker 2: Every professional football should be able to catch and pass the football. Listen to this week's Rugby League Coach podcast Everybody, and I've opened with a story about Pep Guardiola, who at the time of my recording had won forty trophies as well. Right now the podcast is already out of date because he's won forty one trophies and he talked. Sorry, he sorry. His ex player Cal Walker said, as soon as he arrived at Manchester City he realized Pep didn't like players running in training, not just doing conditioning getting flogged. He wanted a ball at the feet all the time. Yeah, it's a different mentality, yeah right.
Speaker 1: NRL Todd Payton's backside isn't twitching as much this week. He got the win over Go Coast Titans, although the squeaky one might have been in the other coaching box. The Titans coach Josh Hannay might be a bit worried about the job he's taken on penryth Un Warriors setting the pace and it's a bit of a appendage measuring contest I think between their fans as to who's had the better start. And I also want you John to consider the form of Cronulla, who have started started quite strangely. Yeah, so Cowboys, Penrith, Warriors and Cronulla.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't see a huge amount of NRL this weekend. I really enjoyed the Broncos game. That was a that was a fantastic game and obviously the Broncos coming back to win that with all the drama that's gone on with with Gordi and Madge and everything. But yeah, really surprised by Carnalo because I think it's given is a fantastic coach and they've been what top four the last couple of years, so that's a bit of a puzzle. Penrith just look Immatilla, don't they. I Mean, you don't win Grand Finals in in March, but they have started the season really really well. Just look effortless at the moment. Uh. And the Cowboys, Yeah, I mean the Gold Coast, it's a bit like a bit like casts isn't it. Like they're just a club that. Yeah, they've been down there for a long time, and I think, you know, it's going to be a painful rebuild for Josh Hannay. He needs a lot of time there. I know they've they've you know, they've locked up a few players like Tino and Cooper By and I think if they locked up Campbell or they've got you know, they've got some building games now, Yeah, they've got some building goal. See. I think with the Gold Coast, one of the issues, much like Newcastles, that they lose a lot of their best local juniors. You know, Paynehasse a Gold Coast junior. Reee Walsh is a Gold Coast junior. You know, they've got to try and keep those best players there. But yeah, I mean with the Cowboys, we'll just you know, one win is great for top eight and we'll see how they go the rest of the the year. Though so, because I think if they they lose next weekend, the pressure of just ramps right back up.
Speaker 1: I think in the conversation vis A VI Chronel Penryth and Warriors. The amazing thing is who they've played, and the other amazing thing is Penrith defense. Pen I haven't conceded many points at all in this era where points are coming thick and fast. Penrith have played and beaten last year's premiers, Roosters who were many people's favorites for the competition, and Cronulla who were preliminary finalists and seem to be perennial preliminary finalists. Try to say in that ten times the Warriors have beaten last year's minor premiers, they've beaten Newcastle in Newcastle, and they've beaten the Roosters who were many people's favorites for the competition this year. So already you could say these guys are answering questions that you'd want to ask of them too. I think what gives Penrith the edge is the fact that they're just not leaking points, which is amazing in this current era.
Speaker 2: And they're worried have a history of imploding mid season even after starting well, while Penrith have a history of just winning things, don't they And they still have that ridiculously good spine, ridiculously good squad and also that pathway is you know, the young Ginger was a Jenkins, you know, I mean the young Ginger didn't they cut him a few years ago and then he's come back and he's you know, because he's ginger. Yeah, I believe it was Ginger, Bis it.
Speaker 1: Was Every good team needs a red head mate. You know, Cowboy's got an easy home fixture next week Melbourne Storm on the back of a defeat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you would have hated to have been the Storm after that? What were they? Were they falling all up a halftime? The Storm players with Bellamy? You know, I mean he would have been ripping things off, the doors off, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think what I know of Bemay Bellamy I think he's just in the coaching box is a lunatic. I think everywhere else is a bit more measured. He's brutal with his words, but he's not He's not des Azla ripping dressing room doors off kind of thing. If you think about it, how many times have you seen footage of Craig Bellamy going off in the sheds?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I don't. I don't. Yeah, he's not a Ranger and Rave of twenty four seven. But I think he he's very honest with his que Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that. I think he would have he would not have expected or been happy with that second half that they dished up. And full credit to the Broncos for coming back and winning because they've they've been in the sights of everyone, haven't they and basically the rugby media, and you know, there's been a lot of ship thrown around and you know, they answered a few of their critics with that with that win.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to watching cast Flord against Bradford on Thursday night UK time Friday morning Australian time. I don't know why he's smiling, because I actually think you're smiling because you're happy to be at my company. But Casts need to win this game. The Castleford need a performance.
Speaker 2: Need a performance. I mean you would you wouldn't probably say it's a mass win game, but they do need a performance. They need to show, you know, that they care for the badge and they need to you know, they need to put their bodies on the line. And Bradford or you know, Bradford have a great start of the season, so they've got a bit tough opponent and the cast fans, you know they will be they're not happy.
Speaker 1: So maybe I could help Ryan car by finding the weaknesses in the Bradford side that you can exploit.
Speaker 2: On Thursday, I'll send you I'll send you over his number and you can you can give him a call.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'll text him analysis video that I do. On Friday, hul Kingston Rovers host Saints.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really interesting game. I mean, okay, as you said, been a very average start of the season and Helen's are flying. They are missing a lot of players, but that's a tough away game for them, so that could be could be a handing up of the game.
Speaker 1: And my prediction for that game the team that plays in red and white will win one of them in a horrible awake it so yeah true or that not that plays in red and white at York and Wakey also on Friday, winnable for York again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I look when they lost Liam Harris for the Wigan game, I thought away the Wigan you know, they'll they'll they'll battle, but they'll they'll be well beaten and they'll probably unluckily not to come over with the drawer at least get a gone point in that game. So yeah, the McShane one is really interesting if you if mcshane's out, you definitely I think lead or the bookies will lead with with Wakefield being slot fair. But that's a that's an interesting fifty to fifty game for me.
Speaker 1: We're going to have a training run against what is Field on Saturday and Lee host to lose, I think to lose a finding life a bit hard now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. Look, I think this round was interesting because you know, there's been a lot of talk about how well the promoted teams are doing, and they are doing well, but you can also argue that there isn't enough and that's why the foreign quota was injured. It was increased, shall I say, from seven your teeth in, Johnny. Yeah, there isn't enough you know, talent around to go around for foreign teams. I think I stand by that, and I think as goes on, more injuries, et cetera, than there's going to be you know, some more blowout and some teams struggling. And we've already seen Castlevan and Hardersfield struggling. And to loose, you know, they've got to back up every week and look Lee, you know, barely got anyone fit, but you know you definitely give them a chance, particularly at home Wigan. Yeah, I mean that could be a cricket store.
Speaker 1: Ever since I christened them two wins Olympic. I think they must have liked that name because they've not got past two wins yet. On Sunday, Hull left c play the Catalans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean that's a really interesting one because cat Len's picking up a bit of form now. Obviously again four players lost to their Yeah, and all of ce. You know, as I said, that was a big result over Leeds, so that's a that's a tasty one. And then Leeds Warrington the thirty year anniversary game, Warrington undefeated Leeds now were two losses in a row, but but back at home. So I think that's one of the first round games. Thirty years ago it was, I believe I think the first of a game was Sheffield Sheffield. Yeah, do you remember that? I don't, maybe because I was fifteen and.
Speaker 1: You didn't have the ability to. I thought you were one of them children that developed slowly and you could.
Speaker 2: Have well, no, I've seen the highlights and it looked, you know. I mean the fact that they were playing in Paris was pretty cool. I think it was like sixteen thousand fans. I think something like five thousand fans from Sheffield flew over, which is considering Sheffield get about five hundred people to a game now, that's quite remarkable. But yeah, I think the Leeds Warranton thirty years ago is one of the opening I remember it vividly. Johnny D and your team were in the championship, weren't they, Yes, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe a month earlier, less than a month been freezing cold in February on the terraces at Salford watching Salford. And then about a month later there was this place that by then had never been to Paris. By then I was there, I think a year later or two years later. The it was packaged differently. The players were led out one by one.
Speaker 2: Steve O.
Speaker 1: Steve Steve O called the names out, pronounced absolutely butchered the French names. The video referee which was a new thing, and it felt like a brand new dough and and yeah, like a bit like Miss World saying yeah, Lee will go out next week and then you cock a hoop for a week and then miss world texture or messages. You're an instrument, so sorry, I can't make it. That's how I felt because Parish were gone the year two years later.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I mean, I think, I think the fact that the Paris thing was kind of built on stand and they were all mostly Ausies who didn't even have visas to playing for us. But look, I think, you know, trying to look on the positive side. It was bold, it was brash, it was exciting. Wasn't a full time for the first time that everyone and yes, I really got behind. It's so, you know, thirty years of ups and downs and ups and yeah, big moments and yeah, but but you know, a bit to celebrate.
Speaker 1: I would say we should have a gone but not forgotten Cup Paris, that Whales team that disappeared.
Speaker 2: Crusaders, Yeah, we can go all Crusaders Toronto. Yeah. Who else have we lost? Well?
Speaker 1: In terms of dead clubs, I mean we could throw a new well, they're not dead. We could have a World Club Challenger, North Sydney.
Speaker 2: Bears, Gateshead, Yeah, Gateshead, London Scholars, what do we have? London Chargers? Do we have London Chargers? Yeah? I mean Fulham weren't in Superlin, but yeah they were. Yeah, we've had a lot of different renames. I think Workington Town were in the first and haven't been y If you want to go through every dead rugby league club from to what was the one? What's the third leagues club that was around for five minutes? There was another Leads, there was Leeds handled and there was another one which yeah, there was Blackpool. Blackpool existed for a while. Yeah, I played for them, Charlie Charlie Pans. Wasn't there one in Liverpool as well? That that lasted about five minutes?
Speaker 1: No, you're think of the Buccaneers. I think I coached them and played for them.
Speaker 2: And kenn In Big Yeah, look Ni Victor, who's leads one is? Yeah, I can't think I know all it. I just can't think of it in the mind. Planel Yeah, I think Scoy was involved with him at one point.
Speaker 1: Mariners, Adelaide Rams. What a competition? This is John that was setting it? South Queensland Crushers, Yeah, gold Coasts fifteen different, all the Eagles, what a comp what a comp Gleeve dirty Reds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're still going around. They're still going around. James and Brad taking Yes, Yeah, bumper podcast, John, Yes, we better wrap it up. Dame in my overtime yep, yep, checks in them out. I get three contact contact details please HM. You can get on Facebook at John Davidson, Journalist.
Speaker 1: Johnny d Davidson, and I'm admin at rugbyley Coach dot coma say you email, Rugby League Coach dot comvera you website, and at rugbyle Coach on socials apart from x where I am at r L Coach on the net. Take care, We'll see you after the hooter on Thursday night