Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Welcome to another Thursday. Chris will be here in just a moment. I don't want to do the same thing that I did last week and not have a good microphone. Everybody hear me, okay, please let me know. Hopefully it is fairly audible, as Jack is pointing out. Definitely wanted to start out this week with a hearty rest in peace to one Wingshauser.
Speaker 3: I know that this is one that.
Speaker 2: Our dear friend Brad Henderson had announced previously that he had died due to an interaction with the director of Champagne and Bullets. But this time it seems like it is quite real and Wingshauser is gone. Some great films made by wings some that have been getting some good reappraisal recently. Thanks Jack and Karan and everybody else that's saying it sounds good.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Good.
Speaker 2: Good to see everybody here for another Thursday. We got a lot to talk about tonight. One thing before Chris gets here is kind of want to hear what anybody else is thinking about this whole Max Discovery thing where they're looking to possibly sell off the rights to a film that they had taken a tax break on, which seems crazy to me that you can cancel a film and make money off of the tax rite off and then sell it and make even more money. That doesn't make any sense. Honestly, the first one shouldn't happen at all, but to be able to do both makes zero sense to me. That being said, I really wanted to see Coyote versus Acme, so I hope it happens fairly early on in the show. Here is our dear friend, mister Chris Haskell. Hello, everyone, how you doing, sir?
Speaker 4: Doing well? Excuse the baron the baron walls here behind us. This is still moving week.
Speaker 2: Course, Yeah, moved very quickly. It seemed like that's crazy crazy, it's like tiny amount of advanced notice.
Speaker 4: Well, the first place we looked at that we really wanted had seven applications on it, and so we were the second place we saw it didn't have any. So we were like, gotta go. If anybody's asking all the drinking Basil Hayten Tonight sponsored by Basil Hayden.
Speaker 2: And Basil Reardon, who we're gonna be talking about later.
Speaker 4: On, And that's been heaven.
Speaker 2: Uh, Chris, let's get into everything you've been doing lately. How's how's life in the podcast world for you?
Speaker 4: That's crazy. You know, one thing kind of hey, John, one thing kind of leads to another, and then I'm I'm in three podcasts all of a sudden. So it's been fun, you know. We started they Live by film was just started in the pandemic as a hobby, like something fun to do, and then after a while we realized that people didn't want to just hear us talk, so we went like, let's go ask and Craig and Dennis were the first ones that said yes, which is I'm still like so grateful for them because we were completely new and and then a few years down the road just focused on boutiques. I started feeling, you know, you and I got close and we started talking about gas and we're like, why is nobody doing a Vinegar Syndrome podcast?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And what's up Craig?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then.
Speaker 4: I was just going back and forth on names, and I think Punk Vacation to me signifies like the spirit of Vinegar Syndrome. It's a movie that a lot of people like to shit on, but it's fun and so I thought that would be a great one. And then I don't know if Adam's listening because it's one point thirty in the morning in the UK. But Adam did the artwork, and I'm still so appreciative for that, because you know, we I just said make it Rudy ray Moore, but as if Andy Warhol did it, and like he came back with that, I was like, dude, what the hell? This is like way better than I expected. And then you and I were talking about gaps and realized that Manda Macabro didn't have one and asked if they could make an official one and they were like, oh, yeah, let's do it. So yeah, man, it's been a crazy riode the last really the last years, when a lot of this stuff is kind of ramped up and I feel silly talking about what I'm doing. It's like a twentieth of what you did today.
Speaker 2: But oh god, don't we don't need to go down that route. I mean, the amount of stuff that you know, just the collaboration between the two of us has a lot of fun. I was talking about this the other day. Somebody somebody asked where I found some piece of information. I said, on Reddit, and they were like, on Reddit, what do you mean? I said, well, I mean that's where I met Chris. Like everything between me and Chris Haskell all started on Reddit, and without that chance meeting, none of this would have been the way that it's.
Speaker 4: Been shout out to Reddit.
Speaker 3: I know, I love it.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Monto Micabro getting little ahead of the game, but some some recent pickups brand new bundle in from them, the Punishment Girl, Slaves and Morgano La Fay, Cafe Flesh and Bohachi Bushido, those latter three all on four K. I don't think I can share all of the cover Oh I can't. I flipped some of the ones that I couldn't, So there we go. Nice thick slip covers now they've upgraded from the thin paper ones that had before MoMA Macabro stuff. Speaking of why don't you highlight last month's episode.
Speaker 4: Well, it was a dream for me in two ways. So I've been a big fan of Shinyasukamoto for a long time because I saw Tetsu the Iron Man, maybe not in theaters, but like real a while ago, over twenty years ago. And then I've just been checking Senior Sukamoto and I love him. I had, and then I think we were talking and I was like, man, it'd be amazing to have Tom Mess on this because he literally wrote the book on Shinya Sukamoto. And you're like, well, oh, you mean my bestie Tom Mess. Yeah, like I could probably make an intro, and then you did, and then he showed up, so like all those things were amazing, and so I got to spend an hour and a half with Tom Mess, which is just incredible.
Speaker 2: The conversation ended up being amazing and like exactly what I had hoped for. I mean, the amount of the amount of knowledge that Tom has on everything Asian cinema is unprecedented.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did, you know what I forgot to ask him. I was gonna ask him if he's seen every Takasha a movie, because there's a chance he has.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's quite possible, especially for research.
Speaker 4: But no, he's amazing, Like really, like I think we're you know, I grew up. As far as commentaries go, it was like a net insdore Right and then maybe there's a few other like common ones shout out to a net if she's listening.
Speaker 3: She was.
Speaker 4: She was one of the originals. But like I feel like we're in this golden age of film historians because like Tom mess is just right, and then Nathaniel Hawthorne and like Eugenia or Klani and like you could just go down Sam Degan, like it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Like can we correct that to Nathaniel Thompson and not the guy.
Speaker 3: That wrote the Scarlet Letter?
Speaker 5: First?
Speaker 4: Did I say Hathorne Nudson? Sorry, I guess I have sin on my mind speaking of syndrome there's but yeah, he's just incredible, Like it's amazing what he knows and has like been on set with Genia Sukimoto and anyways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just hearing about his research process is intimidating and inspiring and frustrating. I mean to a point where you know, people like you and I would love to just drop everything and go pour into some of these you know, studios and archives that he goes and visits. But it's literally impossible unless you've got that as a job. I don't know how much you want to talk about it. Brandan wants to know what your day job is. He's been curious, Hey.
Speaker 4: Bren, and thanks for the kind of messages here. I've been seeing him kind of flash up. Nothing related to movies at all. I'm an IT consultant. I'm a tech consultant, and in my day job, I travel like two to three weeks a month, not five days a week, but I usually go for two to three days a week and just fly wherever they're like corporate headquarters and try to sell them IT stuff.
Speaker 2: And he's being modest when he says flies a few times a month. We're talking like I'll message Chris and he says, Oh, don't worry, I just landed in Czechoslovakia. I got a little bit of time or uh, what was the last one. It was somewhere else in Europe, and I was like that Poland, Yeah, yeah, Poland. It was like Jesus, I mean the amount of I want you to go do research on the ground for me on some of these Polish films.
Speaker 4: I'm so pissed because actually, like I hope I get to go. I might get to go back in like June ish, July ish, and I'm gonna like leave early and go to the mecca for me, which is, uh, there's a university there and the name of the city is vouch. It's it's spelt like to Americans, it looks like l DZ but they say voch and I would love to go see it because that's where like Kuslavsky's from. That's where a lot of the Oh yeah, that's right, Aaron, that's yeah, yeah, Hey good An, you know you're on here. Yeah, Aaron's a precured business for my company in the past, which is a small world. But yeah, like a lot of the classic Polish artists and directors that we know are like they went to university in buch and I just want to go. So yeah, I do watch a lot of movies on flights that in fact, I most of the apps have a future where you can download and watch on airplane mode, which is awesome. So I watch a lot of Criterion and Arrow Player stuff on.
Speaker 2: Them and hopefully in the next couple of months we finally get a chance to meet in person.
Speaker 3: That sounds like.
Speaker 4: It's been so close a couple of times. I know we need to make it happen, but you're speaking about we're trying to. So my specific job is I go try to find new business for the company I work with if they're not doing business with this already. And Hellsburg Diamonds is not a customer of ours, but I'd like them to be. If anybody from Hellsburg is listening, called Chris Haskell Cognizant, but they're based in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, And of course they're known for watching the show every week. So obviously please give Chris Haskell a call. You've already got his number. Remisod.
Speaker 4: This is the diamond of boutique discussion.
Speaker 2: So speaking of that, after our announcements tonight, we're gonna be talking about one of Chris's many quite professional discussions now, which is Vinegar Syndrome. Considering how much Punk Vacation has taken off and you've had most of the company on the show at this point, only a couple more to tick off there.
Speaker 3: But we're gonna be.
Speaker 2: Discussing the differences between all the sub labels for Vinegar Syndrome and then doing a personal ranking of them, which this is gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope the comments are active. No, it's never a problem on your show, but like, this is a very contentious topic.
Speaker 2: It is, especially for the VSA's which started as one thing and now is eight things.
Speaker 4: It's gone from VS Action to vs Asia right, primarily like that's fine, Like I'm here for it, Like it's great.
Speaker 2: Punk Vacation just dropped a new episode. You want to highlight who was on that?
Speaker 3: What you covered?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a cool and so I didn't realize that he had been on your show. I was all pumped, and I don't know how I missed it first of all, but I was so pumped to have this exclusive with Ewan Kan't from Aero Video and now Vinegar Syndrome, this producer, and I was researching it. I was like, God, damn it, Ryan.
Speaker 3: How many times I've said that about you? It's all right, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Youwan is amazing, and he's like he's like the slasher person and like he knows everything about slashers and like he's so passionate about the releases he works on. Awesome. Yeah, So it's just it was a super fun conversation and it did drop, and it's I think people want to hear about Slashers because it's been like there's already been over one hundred and fifty downloads in like twelve hours, so people are or maybe twenty four hours at this point. But anyways, it's like it's really like fast and it's getting a lot of early listens, so I hope that continues because he's a he's awesome. You can tell he's just like pure passionate, like he loves his stuff really fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He when I had him on, I think he spent like, I don't know, five minutes talking about the Umbrella release of The Houseboat of Horror, which most people are like that is one of the worst piles of trash ever, and he's just wanting to discuss it to no end because it's so fun for him. I love the way he knows so much about a lot of these, Like Fatal Games is one that he had a big hand in back at Ario. Some of the cheesy slashers that he worked on that were like lifelong dreams of his that he's been watching for decades.
Speaker 3: It's so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And Mother's Day is a drama film that takes place in the UK, so like you got to do that, And recently it was iced Blood Trucks and then Ghost Dance Are there's three like recent ones. But yeah, it's just pure, like raw passion when he talks about it.
Speaker 3: So it's cool.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for people to hear it.
Speaker 2: Who has been on the podcast, you would say maybe one of the more exciting episodes or interesting pieces that people should listen to as a first episode.
Speaker 4: Oh great question. So like, let me close discord because I'm getting these little beeps now. I don't want it to show up. I don't want to distracting for everybody. Okay, So there's a couple that immediately come to mind, But I think like Oscar is a vetcher from Vinegar Syndrome, is an underrated speaker. Like he's you know, he has kind of a reputation because of his videos of being like sort of silly and like chaotic energy, but he's really well spoken and like extremely thoughtful. And we were talking for ten minutes before you even started recording about his passion for like organizing things, Like he's very much a librarian at heart. So it's really I think that interview I was like so impressed with, Like I think it was my expectations of who he was going to be versus who he was. It was just like so cool and there's a lot of depth to it. Kurtis, I'll announce on April first, I'm getting Curtis Spieler back. He's coming back. It was the very first one, so I'm a little partial to it, but I also just think he's awesome. Yeah, thank you doesn't but yeah, like I think I haven't had a guess now yet that I'm disappointed in. Heather is pure id right, like she's amazing, Like she's she's really I love the Heather Drain one. And I don't know if Eli listens to this, but if you are listening, Eli, he did an amazing job. He messaged me and asked if he could speak whenever I cover hardcore titles and I was like, yeah, I mean sure, why not, Like I've never heard him talk before. He's like, I have a background doing podcasting before, so I kind of like, I mean, I don't know, we're a new podcast, like why not? Right? But he was awesome, Like I probably have him back on somewhat regularly. Oh and then how can I like my heart is you know, kind of tied to Italian cinema. So the conversation I had with you Genio or Klani, I just like that guy is just amazing, Like he lived the history like he he knows it by living it, not only from books, and so the way he talks about Italian cinema is just very close to my very close to my heart, and he's awesome.
Speaker 2: For anybody that's not listened to the Eugenio stuff with Chris or on my channel, it's it is insane how many times that he can say, oh, yeah, my dad was on that set doing X, or there was a couple of times I mentioned a film and he goes, oh, yeah, my mom dated the director of that or something genuine and he's just got family history with it, and it's it is so much more meaningful when he gets I do like some exclusive interview with somebody that's been in the hills in Italy for forty years without being talked to, and he's like, for the first time since nineteen seventy eight, And it's true. It's literally just him making connections and getting people out to speak and.
Speaker 4: You can tell he's proud of it too, which is like kind of adorable, but like, but he should be, like, it's amazing the stuff he gets.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Eugenio is a he's a good one.
Speaker 2: Uh, you haven't have any pickups scenario you want to share or talk about?
Speaker 4: Unfortunately not sorry there, so I'll but for the pickup section, I'll say something slightly embarrassing since it's just you and I. So we decided to be eco friendly, by the way, super down on cardboard boxes, buying them, taping them up, like undoing them, and then throwing them away. I was like, that's going to drive me crazy. So they have these companies now that will like bring plastic bins to your home that you move with them and then pick them up at your new place. And I mean, you know, everybody has a different budget, but to get fifty bins was only like two hundred and forty bucks for two weeks, so it was like a no brainer.
Speaker 3: No cardboard.
Speaker 4: We're putting movies in bins, and I just looked at my stuff and I was like, okay, probably take like about fifteen twenty bins. I guess it's like thirty eight bins of movie. It's like, what the hell is my problem? Like this is like, you know, it's like the moment where you have awakening that you're an order or something, and it's just like, dude, anyways, I don't think I'm a order, but.
Speaker 2: I love that you come to that realization being eco friendly. Just staring at all of your plastic and cardboard I know, I.
Speaker 4: Know I better not throw it away, and I guess it'll see in a million years it'll decompose naturally.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, well we'll check that out. Will still be here.
Speaker 2: Of course, I showed Mondo's stuff, but wanted to shout out a couple others. I had this stuck with the pre order for the next title I want to talk about, but speaking to Jared fro Mondo, their last title I want to get even this is a Neon Eagle title.
Speaker 3: Can't wait to see that one.
Speaker 2: The one that held it up is the Blue Underground four K release of Venom. Literally just got this in excited to see that, and then I got suckered in on something. This went on sale and I wasn't gonna get it because I had the old Blu ray, but this is my favorite in the franchise, so I really wanted to check out the four K of the Evil Dead remake. And then Screen Factory came out later and said, well, let's just do a steal book with some pretty dang decent art compared to what they normally do, and I was excited for that. So I got this on sale, figured why not?
Speaker 4: What are the special features like on a Screen Factory DVD of the Evil Dead remake.
Speaker 2: On the DVD or of this this it's a lot of the stuff that they had before. They've got an audio commentary with Jane Levy, Lou Taylor Pucci, and Jessica Lucas Fetti Alvarez, and the writer is on there as well. They've got a directing featurette, Evil Dead Reboot featurette.
Speaker 3: A couple other short featurettes, nothing super exciting.
Speaker 4: None of Edde's early short films.
Speaker 2: No, none of Ede's early short films, which I believe wasn't like his first His first short film was what got him discovered to oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see the guy that only has like one or something like it is like he is like that is a quick progression into in the movie making, right.
Speaker 2: Either that or he had like two, like we say, short films, but I think the first two were like micros, They're like two or three minutes. And then he made one that got notoriety and attention and they went, oh, you can come be a real director.
Speaker 4: Got out to Sam raimif he's listening for taking a chance on people, I love what he's doing.
Speaker 3: Ok.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, uh, let's talk about recent watches. Then obviously you're watching a lot on planes. What have you been checking out recently?
Speaker 4: So the big stuff that I've been watching is related to vinegar syndrome, as you might imagine. And I think, like the I have to if I can only talk about one thing, although you didn't ask me to do that, I have to say, like, if there's a movie that's a must buy from the recent releases, let's say the last three or four months, The Carpenter is an absolute must buy, Like, I would love to hear from anybody that hates that movie, because the movie is fucking awesome, Like I think Wings House are, Like it's especially relevant today because I think he passed away today.
Speaker 2: Mentioned that right before you came on. He actually passed away about five days ago, but they kept it private until late late last night.
Speaker 4: Huge, huge, terrible news for the industry. What a legend. And he's somebody that I always feel like, really is one of these guys that really like he goes for it in the roles. Oh yeah, And The Carpenter is such a great example of that because the premise is so weird, like yeah, so, but I love The Carpenters so much. Luckily, there's been no snakes on these planes. When I've been driving or when I've been flying. I will say that people are more nervous about planes crashing. I hear about it. I was talking to somebody on the plane recently and they're like, hope this doesn't crash. And then somebody was flying for one of my coworkers and they were like, hope I make it. I'm like, y'all, so I don't want to start assuming that every plane's going to fall down. But The Carpenter is an amazing movie, and I think everybody should see it. If anybody has an't even a slight interest in surrealism. The Mansion of Madness that just came out is a must watch. That's have you seen it? I?
Speaker 2: I have, but it's been such a long time because it's an old relevant to you being here.
Speaker 3: It's an old Monta Micabro DVD.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, of course. Also, how have you seen, oh Brett, you're just saying you've seen Devil Fetus in the sense of like you've seen it before, you haven't seen the new one.
Speaker 2: Right, Uh, well, many people have gotten it wasn't Devil Fetus from last month.
Speaker 4: I haven't got it yet. No, it's a it's a market it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they've been they've been shipping. I got my shipping.
Speaker 4: Noticed the but I guess if you live close to the archive you can just go grab it anyways, right, But yeah, I can't wait that that really so I'm super pumped about. We're not double Fetus and her Vengeance both are are. I think people are gonna be like what am I watching? In the best way, But yeah, Mansion to Madness is good Joy of Sex for anybody that just wants like a fun I guess like teen comedy, like joy of Sex is fun, and it's it's kind of extra funny because everybody in the movie is horny, like even the parents. Everybody's horny in the movie. But like it's still very much an eighties comedy. And then yeah, I saw female perversions is weird. I don't know what to think about it exactly. Like as far as recommending it, it's like a it's one where they really went for it visually, and you see a whole bunch of Tilda Swinton. She's naked pretty much the whole movie, and she's playing like a sex symbol, which is interesting compared to sort of like how her career is gone. She takes on more like challenging roles or like androgynous roles. I think whatever, So yeah, anyways, but it's it's okay. I mean, it wasn't. I wasn't bored ever. But outside of Vinever syndrome, I've recently seen Collateral, which is a really good Michael Mann movie, and if you haven't seen it, I think it's Michael Man's best movie so far that I've seen. I've seen like four or five of his We saw recently, what's that one? De Niro and Pacino Heat? Heat? Okay, pretty good.
Speaker 3: Moment for the title to sink in.
Speaker 4: Exactly broadcasting from I know, I know it totally looks like a jel right, sorry, and I probably I usually have Mike as well, so I'm sure I sound terrible.
Speaker 2: Not as bad as the headset used to Okay, better than the headset, I can get it.
Speaker 4: I'll take it. Then naked till this wins. And it's called female perversions. And one interesting thing, if you want to sound credible when you're talking about it and not, just watch it to see her naked. Although no judgment, it's a huge feminist movie. So like, there's one of the special features talks about how there is a woman who was working on a Tarantino movie who left to go work on this, and her words were, this is not a film, this is a movement. So yeah, it was a very strong feminist statement with a ton of sex. What's up, kV? Yeah, I feel like I don't know, kV. If this is not true about you, forgive me. But I feel like you're pretty current on a lot of the new stuff that's coming out. And I'm always jealous of that because I haven't seen a movie from twenty twenty five yet, and I've seen four from twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: So Ryan says Chris with the hot take, Heat is okay, but the Carpenter's a must buy. And yes, Zepam, I believe Heat Too is in pre production uh and should be coming out the next couple of years.
Speaker 4: I hope they do like a colon, do like Hotter or something? I don't know, Heat Too.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's pretty great. My recent watch, the only one that I really can highlight much is the Filled Marrow Bone from a handful of years ago. Uh popped this in this week. My my wife had requested it and I've never seen it. The Big Thing, incredible cast in here, George McKay on you, Taylor Joy, Charlie Heaton from Stranger Things, and then Mia goth All headline this one. And it's okay, it's it's fine, nothing special necessarily, but uh I, Derek, she says, I popped in the first thing I here is Christian on heat.
Speaker 4: I'll defend it in just a second.
Speaker 2: But finishing that, I I don't necessarily recommend marrow Bone.
Speaker 3: It's it's made fine, but it's something that it seems.
Speaker 2: Like they had a couple ideas for some plot points and then kind of tried to tie everything together and it didn't work out, so they just rushed an ending onto it. Not the best, It's okay. The other big thing will and I recorded another commentary this week has not been announced yet. I think that makes like four or five that we've recorded that have not been announced. So watched that movie again and again and again. There's a couple other things that we were working on that I've watched this week as well, but lots to announce in the coming weeks, including the one that Craig has been highlighting Deaf Crocodile's announcements coming out next Friday. The big title that most people are excited for just from the title of the film alone, Inflatable sex Doll of the Wastelands is up for pre order next Friday.
Speaker 3: So check that one out. Let's talk about heat. What were you gonna say?
Speaker 4: That's my Tinder profile by the way, But okay, so here's my defense Erica and Craig. Although I know it's not you're not gonna be happy with it. I think in that movie every scene de Neuro's in, I really like, I think he nails it in that movie. Like I think it might even be one of his best roles. Like I know he has a lot of great roles, but like, I think he absolutely nails it. Patino is kind of a a paradi of himself in that movie. I didn't I didn't like his part. Every like every part he was in. I was like, Okay, I mean, come on, you're just doing like a Pacino thing, but like not in a not in a way that really like connected me to him. And he was a bit dramatic, over dramatic and kind of overacting, I think, And I didn't I didn't. I was. It was one of the first times I was like, Pachino not a good actor. Then I went back and I looked at his stromography and I'm like, no, he's a great actor, but this one just didn't went and didn't do it for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gotten a lot of flack for this before, but I've said before since somewhere in the eighties, but she knows, kind of just been doing doing some shtick since then. He's got moments of brilliance in there, but man, a lot of it. I just I cannot understand how far over the top he got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's basically it. Greig, You're not wrong. That's a woman thing. It just kind of feel like that, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Let's hear your hua, Chris. You mentioned Curtis coming up on Punk Vacation. Anything exciting for they live by film before we get into announcements.
Speaker 4: Fair enough, fair, So let's see what can I announce. Well, Eugenio is coming on, So we're going to record in early April, and he's apparently I don't he didn't tell me the titles, but he's on a couple of the stuff that's coming out in April and and so we're going to talk about it when they Live by Film, just to be able to go deeper in, to go broader than just the vinegar syndrome stuff. So he's coming on and then but no, oh, not too much. I mean, oh, okay, I'll tease this. So I don't know how y'all feel about the Mission Impossible franchise. I'm like completely neutral on it. But Zach hasn't seen any of them except for the first one, I think, and Adam's a fan. So for They Live by Film, we're gonna do one series where we do Vertigo movies that are similar but better my words, not theirs. I didn't like Vertigo that much, but we're gonna do like Vertigo like movies, and then for the other after that we'll get into the Mission Impossible franchise.
Speaker 3: Very nice.
Speaker 2: I think I'm in the exact same boat as Zach, and I've only seen the first one and could not be more meh about the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Erica Vertico is okay, but it's overrated.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Eric is gonna have a heart attack tonight. She really.
Speaker 4: Oh manhole, it's about like a controlling asshole. I don't get it. It's well made. Like I wasn't into it.
Speaker 2: Who knew everybody would come out in defense of the indie director, mister Hitchcock.
Speaker 4: No, no ze, I'm kind of like you. I want to just get to the good ones. Because three is the one that Brad Bird directed. I think if I remember correctly, uh, and like I remember just loving it sort of when I saw it, But then the other one's I don't know. I haven't seen all of them.
Speaker 3: So oh I love this. Oh this is buddy as hell.
Speaker 2: All right, are we ready for some announcements? And I love speaking to Heat. We're starting with Heat tonight. I mean, we got Criterion announcements last Friday, a title that sold out over the weekend. Already, it's gonna be gonna be big deal. So let's get into it. First off, the Beyond four K has been announced for ages and finally in pre order status status. This is shipping in April on four K from Grindhouse Releasing. And as far as special features, they have pretty much everything four K scan that's brand new from the Technoscope o CN. You've got the composers cut on here with a brand new Master audio surround sound remix with the new score by Fabio Fritzy. We've got the original tactical version and the composers cut in Dolby Vision UHD, which is huge. You've got three commentaries. You've got in depth interviews with a bunch of individuals from the making of the film. You've got newly discovered archival interviews with Catriona McCall and David Warbeck. You've got a hundred page book by Martin Bain and jessper March. And then big one that people were not expecting. Bonus DVD of the Seven Doors of Death version. This is the Aquarius Pictures version of The Beyond that was presented years ago, and it's finally here with its original Dolby Stereo mix from the original analog one inch master. And you got the bonus CD of the new composer's cut soundtrack, d box book of ibond packaging, slipcover with beautiful new artwork by the post artist Emanuel Taglietti and other surprises of course. And the crazy thing is you cannot purchase this. This was limited to thirty five hundred copies and sold out I think Sunday night. And there is an individual that does packing for Grindhouse releasing that on Reddit, he is indicating that at the moment there is no standard edition in the pipeline.
Speaker 3: But there's no way that's true.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a fulgy film in four K that sold out in three days. Nobody is sitting on this and saying let's not make more money. They did not have a limited license on this. They are putting out more of these guaranteed. Eventually. It will likely not have the packaging that this does, but it will have a slipcase and probably at least four of these discs, maybe three, but it will have a lot.
Speaker 3: Don't worry, you will get a chance if you had to miss out on this.
Speaker 4: And plus, like Grandhouse is kind of like they know how to make money, right, Like they're good at like they're good they understand how to make money. Like there's I would bet a paycheck on this that they're not gonna like just stop for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: They are the original Fomo masters. They will announce a limited edition that comes with a key chain and say this is your last chance to get it, and as soon as that sells out, you know, sixty days later, there's a standard edition that's in print for like five and a half years after that at least, and they.
Speaker 3: All come into slipcase.
Speaker 2: They all come with usually most of the bonus content, maybe missing a CD soundtrack.
Speaker 4: You will be fine, Yeah, But exciting that Beyond is unfour K. I mean talk about a beautiful.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and I mean not only exciting that it's on four K, but it is from a company that is going to do really great work in four king to Beyond. What do you think about the Beyond compared to some of the other Fulchy stuff, So.
Speaker 4: Bryan, don't worry. I love Filchi and I love The Beyond. How do I feel about it compared to other ful gi I feel like this is the part of his career where he was kind of like in his prime. Like there's this like like this is the chunk of his career that a lot of people when they're getting into ful gy like this is the air that they kind of they watch and it's amazing, Like it's I love it. I could watch this on repeat almost like this this is my this is my gem.
Speaker 3: It's special, that's for sure. Uh.
Speaker 2: And then just after the Beyond got announced, we go straight into Criterion announcements, which is another huge month from them, Like I I don't think I've seen a read of multiple months in a row where they've put out so many titles. Even though kind of a lot of these are upgrades when you look at the grand scheme of things for what they've done, which nothing necessarily wrong with that, they're still giving a lot of new stuff and getting brand new HD and four K upgrades, so that's a good thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is one of my sentimental favorite movies of all time, Like it was one of the first times I just I don't know, like I saw movies differently, like I saw this super young, and I just kind of saw movies differently after this, so I always love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one of those.
Speaker 2: This one is coming on June third, and it's a four K release of the nineteen eighty five film Brazil. This is of course a long fan favorite for many people. This is a very unique film, very Terry Gilliam, for sure. This has all of the same features, nothing brand new on this one, as usual for what they're doing on most of the four K upgrades, But I feel like this is one that people have been really waiting on since they announced that first Gilliam four K so glad this is finally coming out.
Speaker 4: If I want to mess with people, I say this is Danio's best roal. I don't really believe that though, I'll don't worry. But if I want to rile people a little bit.
Speaker 3: Which good job you already have.
Speaker 2: Speaking of four K upgrades, on June third, we're getting another upgrade. This is Mishima Life in four chapters from nineteen eighty five. This is a straighter upgrade. This is coming again with all the special features that we had previously, same cover art and everything. Four K upgrade for something that will look great. And unfortunately, this one, as far as I can tell, will not have Dolby Vision, which really stinks for this movie, because this movie is one I could really benefit from some of those incredible colors.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting to watch the arc of Schrader's life and how it's kind of mirroring the arc of the character in Mishima a little bit. He's not quiet as militant, but like he's certainly become you know, like an opinion it Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, this, I mean, it's a beautiful movie. Traders seems like he's kind of an asshole. No, Offense Trader. If you're watching, you're just very opinionated. But this is an amazing movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is gonna look really great on four K guaranteed. And then the most controversial pick of the month from them nineteen seventy eight, The Whiz coming on four K and Blu Ray.
Speaker 3: This is a.
Speaker 2: What do you say? I mean, a lot of people love this movie. A lot of people literally hate this movie. This is a movie with some huge, huge names attached to it. I mean, Quincy Jones alone should be enough to get people in there. But then on top of that, Michael Jackson, Richard Pryor Sidney Lamett is directing. But on top of all that, you've got one of the biggest names in all of it, and of course Diana Ross, which most people upset about this are upset about the art. But also I have not seen a Criterion movie announced in a long time with more people just absolutely shitting on it, saying this is one of the worst movies that's ever been in the Criterion collection legitimately, and I'm not going to name names, but it's public if you want to go look on Facebook on my announcement for this post. There is somebody else in home video who works in the UK for a very big company that made a really awful comment on this, and I think it sort of envelops what a lot of people are responding to, which I don't understand, and I think it's just at the heart peer racism. I mean, I don't understand how you can feel that about fucking the Wiz, Like, it's just a musical that was made by one of the greatest directors of all time.
Speaker 4: First of all, Beyond the Value of the Dolls is in Criterion, so let's slow down on like bad movies being in the collection. I mean, it's a fun movie, don't get me wrong, but like if we're gonna be as bad as Heat, No, he's a good movie. It's just I just didn't live up to the extremely head expectations I had. And al Pacino is not a great actor. Okay, there's nothing controversial on what I'm saying. Okay, uh no, Jack, I'm not saying beyond the value of the Dolls is bad. I'm saying the people, if you're gonna shit on the Wiz, like, let's slow down, because like, like there's a wide range of movies that are in the collection, and it's not all just like Italian neorealism, So like that comment doesn't even make sense, and and like Armageddon's in the collection, like it's a fun commentary. Like so there's nothing. I don't even see how this is controversial. This is like a slam dun classic important movie in film history, Like it's a no brainer. Why wouldn't Criterion put it out?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: And beyond that, again, this is one of those titles that Criterion knows the moment you released this, this is going to sell like frickin' hotcakes. This is a film people were raised on and you're releasing it on four K for the first time in the world with some of the biggest names ever attached to it.
Speaker 3: Who is not going to buy this? No?
Speaker 4: Totally, no, Greg, I mean, Craig, you're right. I mean, that's it. Like there's no other explanation other than racism. I gain. I mean, I don't know, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: The comment from the gentleman in home video and I probably shouldn't use respectful terms like gentlemen. It even included the word diversity in it, So it's like you're saying the quiet parts out loud here and I don't understand how you can work in home video in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Five and be like like that. I mean, I'm gonna show up.
Speaker 4: Is this from a company that puts out a whole bunch of Hong Kong comes No? Okay, okay, okay, interesting it doesn't. You don't have to say. But I'll just go. I'll go see if I can remember my Facebook password and go and get it.
Speaker 3: Go check.
Speaker 4: But like it, like, come on, it's the whiz like right, it's not. There's nothing controversial about this at all.
Speaker 2: Carrying on, uh speaking a racist. June seventeenth, getting a Blu ray release of Felonious Monk straight no Chaser. This is a really exciting release for me. New four K digital restoration on this one. We got an introduction from the director on here, new interview with the musician ts Monk, son of Felonious Monk.
Speaker 3: We got a new program on.
Speaker 2: Here, some trailers and whatnot, and then an essay by Paul Grimstad. Yet again, another one brand new to the collection. That's gonna be incredible. I'm so eager to see this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never seen this, but Delinius Monk, I mean it's delnious monk right, like, let's go. I can't I can't wait to see this.
Speaker 2: Next up is Midnight, coming on Blu Ray on June seventeenth. This is from nineteen thirty nine. This is one that a lot of people have been clamoring for, hoping to cross off their list, and finally, finally here new four K digital restoration on this one. New audio commentary with Michael Kureski, a new program during an audio nineteen eighty nine interview with the director. We've got the lux Radio theater adaptation of the film from nineteen forty a trailer and an essay of by David Cairns.
Speaker 3: Really fun cover on this one too. I like this.
Speaker 4: This is the fun. This is one of those movies that I think people would be shocked at how kind of it doesn't feel like a movie from the thirties or forties in the content, like this is a screwball comedy about how a woman is hired to break up the affair of a married man. But it's like a comedy. It's not played like a melodram. It's played like a comedy in the sense of like this is probably a common thing, like let's make some jokes about it, and yeah, I don't know, it's interesting, like it's a it's a fun movie, like it's an early screwball comedy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's great, very very eager for this one. And then we got thirty two short films about Glenn Gold from nineteen ninety three coming on four K and blu ray on June twenty fourth. Says it's a rare film biography as boldly inconventional as its subject. Writer director Francois Gerard's visionary portrait of iconoclastic world renowned pianist Glenn Gold Explode explodes the conventions of the form to illuminate the brilliant mind and innermost obsessions of a singular artist. This one has a brand new four K digital restoration, new audio commentary with Girard and the co writer and actor Don mckeller. We got new conversation between Gerard and the filmmaker Adam mcgoyan, which is really great. A couple of archival pieces here, and then essay by Michael Kuresky. This is super exciting. I'm glad this is getting a four K release. That's a big deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this guy, Francoise Erard is a Canadian if I remember it. I think he's a French Canadian guy. And I think he's the guy that did the Red Violin, which is a which got some attention. He's a he just seems somebody who's obsessed with music, because he's done a lot of like live shows as well. Like he like he's somebody that's very tight into the arts scene and not just not strictly a filmmaker, is my point, I guess, And so it's always interesting to see. I think people that aren't like hardcore just like cinephiles that are, but they want to like make a movie and they want to like tell the story of Glenn Gould in like this interesting way. I don't know, Like I can't wait to see this. I haven't yet, but I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 2: Terry saying he saw this one of the theaters, making me jealous.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 2: And then the most exciting one for me this month, Sorcerer from nineteen seventy seven getting a four K and blu ray released from Criterion on June twenty fourth. A lot of people unhappy with this cover art. I actually really enjoy this. I think it was a really fun modern take on the cover of the Jeep.
Speaker 3: What I laughed at.
Speaker 2: Somebody said this looked like the little Coconut monsters from Mawana created this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I don't love the artwork, but I don't care. Like, I'm so happy this movie's coming out, Like what a movie.
Speaker 3: It's a big deal.
Speaker 2: This is one that's not had a great restoration in some time and really deserved one. So glad this is getting out there. This will have a four K and a Blu ray disc. This is a brand new four K digital restoration. We got the audio soundtrack approved by William Friedkin. There is a uncut documentary from twenty eighteen. This is one that you could have gotten previously, but the fact that it.
Speaker 3: Comes with this is really damn cool.
Speaker 2: Some new conversations between James Gray and Sean Fannassy. You will probably recognize that name since you're into physical media. We've got archival audio interviews with Green and the editor Bud Smith, and then I want to highlight specifically. They also include the twenty fifteen conversation between Freedkin and Nicholas Winding Refin, which is the legendary conversation where Freedkin basically roasted him or straight to his face, and so glad that's going to be preserved on disc. We also have a new essay by Justin Chang. Exciting release here.
Speaker 4: Freedkin's like the good version of what pulstrators become. Yeah, it doesn't care at all. It's like rips on people.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah, this is a very exciting one.
Speaker 2: This has had multiple releases before, and none of them have been truly astounding, and I really hope this is this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: We talked about Audie Murphy last week, but they also announced that on June twenty fourth, we're getting the fifth Audi Murphy collection. This one's going to include Walk the Proud Land from nineteen fifty six, Seven Ways from Sundown from nineteen sixty and Pulled It for a Bad Man from nineteen sixty four. Anything about Audie Murphy that you would like.
Speaker 3: To highlight there?
Speaker 4: Who is Audie Murphy?
Speaker 2: He did a lot of Westerns.
Speaker 4: Oh that's why I don't know. Yeah, I'll get around to him one day. It looks like there's five collections I have to go through. I'm sorry, I have nothing to add about Westerns, not in a negative way. There, I know they're beloved, and my grandpa thought he was John Wayne, So there's a.
Speaker 3: Your grandpa my grandpa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but no, I don't know Audie Murphy or have much to say about Westerns in general.
Speaker 3: Completely understandable.
Speaker 2: We've got another keynot announcement coming soon on four K in the US is The Peacemaker from nineteen ninety seven with George.
Speaker 3: Clooney and a little known.
Speaker 2: Actress named Nicole Kidman. This is directed by Mimi Leader, who also did Deep Impact. I don't think I've seen this one, but I don't know how. I feel like I really should have, considering when it came out, but I don't remember this one at all.
Speaker 4: I remember, okay, so when this came out after preface this, When this came out, I was fifteen, so forgive me, but I remember being disappointed. I thought there was going to be more nudity in this one from Nicole Kidman when I saw it, and so I remember like a feeling of slight disappointment in this movie. But I probably need to see it again because I wasn't watching it for the right reasons.
Speaker 3: Oh so fifteen, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Next up, I'm still here. One of the best films from last year. According to pretty much everybody, this is getting a Blu Ray release of the UK on June twenty third from Altitude Film. No word on special features. I don't think they're going to be any on this one, but supposedly Fernando Torres is incredible in this. Obviously Oscar nominated for her role. So eager to see this. Finally, this is one of the big ones that I missed last year.
Speaker 4: Is this the one from Brazil?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Oh fuck this movie, man, I'll see it eventually. I can't wait to see it. But like I've heard, this is just like absolutely heart like gut wrenching set. I'm not in the mindset to watch this right now with all the stuff going on politically, but like what one day, one day, I'll get to this and I can't wait to see it. But yeah, I've heard this movie is just like destroys you.
Speaker 2: Literally, the first line of the synopsis says, Brazil faces the tightening grip of a military dictatorship and that's enough.
Speaker 4: Thanks Vince, And yeah, no, I okay. I love Audie Murphy, thank you for his service to the country for World War Two. And I'll watch all of the collection by the next time I'm on. I'm sorry, I'm a deepercologist and I love Westerns. I take it all back.
Speaker 3: This one's interesting.
Speaker 2: March eighteenth, which, if you'll notice, was two days ago, we got a Blu ray release as an Amazon exclusive from Tribeca Films. They've done a handful of these now and they are doing a Bronx tale one Man Show from twenty twenty four. This is the Chazz Paul mon Terry bringing us a claimed stage show to a disc for everybody to be able to watch wherever you are. Glad this is coming out here. I've heard good things about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm super skeptical about one man shows in general.
Speaker 3: I understand, we understand.
Speaker 4: Chaz is a badass, though if anybody can pull it off, he could probably do it. He's got range. I love Chaz, not saying that ironically. I love Chaz pumentary one Man's shows. This pretty tough.
Speaker 2: Next one, film Masters is putting out Lighthouse from nineteen forty seven. This should be a on April first. This is from their archive collection, which means there will be no bonus features on this, but it will have a brand new restoration so it should look great. This is just one of those things where Filmmasters is deeply dedicated to getting films out there on disc and investing in the in the scan and restoration is what they can do for us, and it will be priced accordingly. So that's a that's a good thing. Filmmaster's just pretty incredible work.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I don't have I'm trying to. I'm just on the Wikipedia page trying to see if there's something I can latch onto to be interested in this movie. Nothing's coming to mind, but maybe if it's like a World War two veteran, it's like a decorated something, I'll see it and I'll be super proud of it, and I'll be I'll be happy to see it.
Speaker 3: Man, we got you to fold quick.
Speaker 4: I love Oddie Murphy Maye.
Speaker 2: May twenty seven, there's a Blu ray release of Outlet Under season seven coming from Sony. I couldn't find any bonus features listed for this, and I gonna be honest, I've never even seen ten seconds of this show. No.
Speaker 4: When this show came out, I was fifteen, and I was impressed with how much nudity was in it, so I'd say it's a good show. But I haven't seen. I've seen. I've realistic. I've seen two episodes I think, and I was kind of like, I mean, if I get around to it.
Speaker 2: But are you watching much TV in twenty four twenty.
Speaker 4: Five, dude, I haven't seen. I haven't seen like a modern TV thing except for the Great British Baking Show. I will always have time for that. But outside of the Great British Baking Show is what I wish Vertigo was. Okay, but I have But outside of the best show on television, I have not seen much and there's so much I want to see now.
Speaker 2: I want to see a version of Vertigo starring Noel Fielding. Oh, let's go to the next one. Megan Fox is starring Until Death from twenty twenty one, and this gets a Blu ray release from Dazzler Media.
Speaker 3: In the UK on May nineteenth.
Speaker 2: And what's crazy, I've heard this is actually really good. I've heard this is pretty great and like the best thing Megan Fox has done since Jennifer's Body.
Speaker 3: So I am going to check this out eventually someday.
Speaker 4: She strikes me as somebody that has good taste, like the choices she makes for Like I mean, she got famous with Transformers, I know, whatever, but like, but it seems like the stuff that she's been in, or at least that I can remember, like Jennifer's body kind of stuff always has like a little bit of an edge to it, or it has like making it it's doing something interesting. So yeah, I'd see this one. And Kristick loves it.
Speaker 2: Ronnie says, I love the Baking Show in spite of Noel Fielding.
Speaker 3: To be clear, I love no Fielding. What's wrong with nol Fielding?
Speaker 4: He's such a gentle giant.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with no He was great on Taskmaster? I love Taskmaster, maybe the best show of all time. Oscilloscope is releasing The Cruise from nineteen ninety eight on Blu Raine DVD this summer, and you can pre order this now on their website on Amazon. A bunch of places, this one is sailing the streets of Manhattan atop a double decker bus. Timothy speed Levitch waxes philosophical as the city's most eccentric tour guide speeds bombastic and psychedelic poetry is captured of the documentary The Cruise, the groundbreaking debut feature film from two time Academy nominated director Bennett Miller, who also did Capodi, Moneyball, and Fox Catcher.
Speaker 3: So I need to see this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Interestingly, I think this is really good. That you know, he's like he got famous for being one of the best tour guides and this is sort of like a documentary of around the way he explained New York and like kind of awesome. Okay, Mary Berry is the original. Yes, she's the best. Crew can't compare to Mary Berry. We could easily. Oh man, there's some o G baking show fans in here. This we redirect this conversation to just like a baking show for you guys, because Sue and Mel were Okay. The person who I never really associated with that much at all or like connected to it all was the Danish woman. And I'm sorry, I can't remember her name, no disrespect, but I just her jokes never landed. I don't know, I never got got into her.
Speaker 3: But I love the surname Danielle. No, that was just a Dane joke. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Oh no, But the team this year is great. I this year is great, But yeah, I really want to see this. Actually, who's putting this out?
Speaker 3: The cruise Scope.
Speaker 4: Oh hell yeah, Sandy Sandy toxic? Okay, no offense are like? Is that? Who is our on Discord?
Speaker 2: That's Ronnie? Ronnie is not enarch Discord.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, okay Ronnie. Sorry Ronnie. I mean I still watched everything.
Speaker 3: I love that. You just assume everybody in the chat is in the Discord.
Speaker 4: You have a driving community, Ryan broy Discord. It's it's great, but.
Speaker 2: You now watch Ronnie say, I've been to the Discord since date one?
Speaker 3: How do you not know? And I'm gonna feel terrible.
Speaker 4: But yes. And so in conclusion, the cruise looks great and everybody should watch it and Audie Murphy is the hero.
Speaker 3: What a great book review? Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sand Piper Pictures another company that people just absolutely abhor, which I totally get. June third, they're putting out a blu ray of leaving Las Vegas from nineteen ninety five. For those that don't know Sandpiper Pictures. This isn't going to be like a Rave review or anything, but they used to be all of Pictures. It's the same exact people. They have rebranded as Sandpiper Pictures and they are legitimately just rereleasing things they're not making new bonus features. If the previous disc had some sometimes they port them over. They don't get new restorations. It's literally just to keep a title in print. And on that note, I'm fine with it. I like titles being in print. That's a good thing.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 2: The other hand of me, like leaving Las Vegas is a pretty big title. This would be great to have a really nice release of this with new extras.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, seriously, yeah, this is like like you could even see VSU or something putting this out as like some of them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, this could have been VSU, This could have been VSL, this could have been.
Speaker 3: Cinematograph even.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure why not? I mean like it's the right time era. All the films had a great rep prim Ali. No, well, I know for sure that they had a specialty line that was like their Criterion line, and I can't remember the name of it right now. I have a few of them, Like they put out bound on the line and they put up I knew maybe. Anyways, they put out a few titles.
Speaker 2: Yeah is it like signature picks or something like.
Speaker 4: That something, But anyways, but that but those releases were great.
Speaker 2: Well, look at that it was close alive signature, says Jack. Yeah, and John says the artwork style is exactly the same as all the films too. Somebody on the I think it was the blu ray dot com forum somehow found like an address for them, and it even matched up to where.
Speaker 3: All the films used to be listening. So yeah, yeah, they also did Bucket of Blood. Good job, Jack, Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Well, put the rumor out that they stopped paying their taxes and had to bankrupt and then had to rebrand. That's what happened to all the films. Okay, that's the official story.
Speaker 2: According to Chris Askell of They Live by Film, not of the other two podcasts. Oh man, somebody from Sandpiper's right now just comment and it's gonna come in and be like thirty lines long. The next one from them is a Midsummer Night's Stream from nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 3: This is big one in home.
Speaker 2: David Warner, Diana rig Helen mirrentitle another one just to re release. Yeah, I know a lot of people love Shakespeare stuff and this probably would sell very well in a fancy release. But you'll be able to get it for twenty four to ninety five for the next five years.
Speaker 4: You know, Craig brings up something I want to circle back to at the end of the discussion when we talk about maybe if we could squeeze it in because Craig, I think there's an interesting thing that's happening where this is just my opinion, like if you put out a standard edition, now you're like the devil. But like because of companies like dev Crocodile that are spoiling people with like amazing releases, right and vinegar syndrome. I'm just saying you first, because you're the best, right, But like all these companies are coming out with these like unbelievable editions of these movies. So if a standard edition comes out, I think people are like, but you know, like I don't know, there's room for that too, I think, right, So it's like a.
Speaker 2: Well, what's interesting is there is room for that. But like Mill Creek, we're talking about maybe like seven or eight good Mill Creek releases a year right now, and they used to do like five a month, and they were that company for a long time. Olive was gone and now back as Sandpiper, and you know, there's been a handful of others, but to do to do a re release is important these titles. You know, contractually most contracts are only five years. A title like Malice starring Alec Baldwin and Cole Kidman and Bill Pullman deserves to be on disc and available. But is it likely to get a huge release or a four K restoration and you know, a one hundred page perfect bound book.
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 4: Who would do it? It's not a seven title, so no, I agree. Yeah, Like these movies like this are kind of a weird spot, right, yeah, So.
Speaker 3: This is the next one.
Speaker 2: Like we just mentioned Malice from nineteen ninety three, it's a hitchcocky and thriller. So Chris is gonna hate it, but the cast is great.
Speaker 3: I had to I'm.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Okay, I want I won't correct it.
Speaker 2: The next one is Rush, coming on the same date June third, nineteen ninety one, with Jason Patrick Jennifer Jason Lee. Jennifer Jason Lee is credible in everything she touches. Speaking of war heroes, this says about an undercover cop U and he was a seasoned veteran and supposedly this is very depressing. I've never been able to see Rush but I need to see it.
Speaker 4: No, this one for some reason. I know this is going to sound like a batchit crazy thing to say, but there's a movie called They. They live by Horses, They shoot horses horses.
Speaker 3: Don't They?
Speaker 4: And Rush, in my mind, are a similar amount of like sad nothing of the same movie like by any means, but like they're these sort of like depressing movies that are both supposed to be excellent. Yeah, like like I mean, Russia is supposed to be amazing. I will see it eventually, but like I kind of have to be in a mood for it because it's just like I don't know, like I can't these ones that are just like a long, heavy like I can't. I can't do that all the time.
Speaker 2: Zepam is asking, I don't think all have put out leaving Las Vegas before, though, did they? I thought it was just MGM, You're right. We are not saying they're only re releasing all of pictures titles because they've put out titles as screen Factories put out. They've put titles that anybody will It's it's just a matter of they've rebranded and now they're only selling titles that already have had an HD release and they're they're not putting any money into special features or restorations at all. The impret edition of Russia is great for anyone after the movie. It's in the Neonora number one brilliant film. Dustin loved They Lived by Horses.
Speaker 4: Okay, accidental self promotion.
Speaker 2: And Zepam says, seems like they're doing a bunch of MGM stuff. They are a lot of boutiques don't really love working with the MGM. MGM is very very restrictive about everything. I mean, they require certain things to never be in visual essays. They are very particular about restorations and all that stuff. It says it sounds like Keno leftovers. Honestly, that's probably a decent shout there. It's it's titles that everybody's passed over, and they went, well, these are out of print. I bet they'll sell.
Speaker 4: Okay, we have fun City editions at home.
Speaker 2: The next one from them is Great Balls of Fire from nineteen ninety one, and goddamn if that doesn't seem right in line with what you just said. This is starring Dennis Quaid, Why own a writer, Alec Baldwin and Steven Tabolawski. Yeah, Roller Ye is the next one.
Speaker 3: This is from nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 2: This is starring Linda Blair and yet another one that a lot of people have already had from the previous release.
Speaker 3: Yeah, glad this will be in print.
Speaker 4: Though I didn't know that Dennis Quator was in a remake of Great Balls of Fire.
Speaker 3: That's funny in the nineties.
Speaker 4: That's super interesting. Is the girl is his love interest? Like twelve or whatever?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm not sure, I've not seen it, but yes, probably.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Then they also got Life Stinks, the nineteen ninety one Mail Brooks film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, why.
Speaker 4: This is a How are they getting Melon Brooks movies? I thought all of his head physical release. Jack, I'll I'll do this on paper podcast at Fuel. You'll come on join me.
Speaker 3: It will be two episodes.
Speaker 2: The first one will be normal, very long, and the second one will just be cap it. We're gonna talk about Sandpiper again in just a minute. But her Zone a label that you and I have discussed quite a lot. They are putting out a four K of Orlando from nineteen ninety two on June second over in the UK. Yes, this has been on four K for a while in the Sony Columbia or not Sony Columbia, the Sony Sony Classics, Sony Pictures Classics, Sony Pictures Classics. That's the title box set, but it's not been released outside of that. So now, if you just wanted Orlando, which arguably many have said Orlando is the best Sony Pictures Classics title literally ever, now you can get just this one. Legitimately. That's like a lot of people's favorite.
Speaker 4: Okay, they just have like they have an incredible catalog. That's the thing too, Like, I mean, I don't know, it's hard to say number two. By the way, I'll stop it too.
Speaker 2: Oh and everybody's saying she's thirteen and his cousin.
Speaker 4: It's a that. Let's move on. It's a it's a terrible joke about the Jerry Lee Lewis or whatever his name is, Jerry Lewis or whatever. Yeah, and like he's marrying his thirteen year old cousin. I don't want to too much attention to it, don't so.
Speaker 2: On April twenty ninth, Sony is releasing Paddington in Peru on Blu ray H. This was released in the UK on four K for anybody that is one of the four K or die people. The hard part is the Paddington films are not from the same studio in the US, which means you're never gonna get a box set. But in the UK there is a three pack of all three on four K.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 4: Because the second Paddington movie is legitimately a great movie.
Speaker 3: Yep, Like.
Speaker 4: Like I was, I thought I was. I watched it because of the memes, but I was blown away, like it's an amazing movie. But this movie everybody hates it, like, universally hates it.
Speaker 2: I've not heard that. I will say, I've not heard anybody say they hate.
Speaker 4: It really, yeah, because okay, maybe the vinegar syndrome discord is a little harsher than the regular I get all of my movies.
Speaker 3: Don't say discord. Oh that's why you're so off tonight.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like everybody in that very selective group universally hated it and called it a piece of shit and stuff.
Speaker 3: It is a pretty selective group.
Speaker 4: But so Paddington prove is good.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've not seen it.
Speaker 2: I've heard it's okay, I've heard it's lesser than the first two which are known as masterpieces essentially.
Speaker 4: But it's so good, Okay, Pattington Too is just yeah, no, Aeron. I thought that was kind of the issue, like how do you compete with Paddington Too? But like, okay, okay, Ronnie, that's good to know. All right, fine, I'll check it out because like I love like the second one was amazing. Anyways, we can go on, David Lean.
Speaker 3: We can talk about Paddington all night. I can David Lean on you for that. That was a terrible pump too.
Speaker 2: Imprint announced these last week and somehow I thought I posted these on Friday. I just didn't and only posted it just a couple of days ago. David Lean is getting a box set from Imprint on May twenty eighth. This is David Lean Volume one, so they got at least another box set coming from him. This is all Blu Ray and releasing in Australia. And in this we have from nineteen forty two to nineteen forty eight, in which we serve this happy breed, blithe Spirit, Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist. It's going to come in one of their signature hard box releases. And they've got a whole bunch of new extras on the titles they've got. I mean, it's imprint, so they're putting money into contextual extras. They're going to be great, new interviews, new interviews.
Speaker 3: On pretty much all of these.
Speaker 2: I believe new documentary on the works of David Lean part one, part two will come in the next box set that they do on him, which is really exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great stuff. I mean, this sounds incredible.
Speaker 4: Don't sleep on Oliver Twist if you have even the slightest interest in surrealism. I'll say it for the second time tonight. Oliver Twist is amazing and great expectations. Also, like his his adaptations of who is that is that Dickens? Yep, Charles Dickens, right, Yeah, he like I've never I don't think it would ever be possible to capture the spirit of those books the way that he does, but also like brings him to life in a very exciting way.
Speaker 3: Like you didn't you didn't like him?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not saying that I was gonna argue the Muppets. Christmas Carol did it better.
Speaker 4: But anyways, oh well no, no, no, no, no, Christmas Carol, there's no competition, it's the Muppets. No, I'm with you on that, but for these two, like like Great Expectations is a tough book to put into a film because there's a lot of dialogue and and it's one of those books that your teachers like torture you with you have to read it in school and stuff. But it made me re appreciate the story. He nails it, and then Oliver Twist is even better.
Speaker 3: Good stuff. And if that's not enough for you.
Speaker 2: As far as box sets, they're also doing the Lawrence Olivier Shakespeare Trilogy from nineteen forty four to fifty five, So this will have Henry the Fifth, Hamlet, and Richard the Third. This will be same as the last one, fifteen hundred copies, only coming in a hard box release with individual cases. For all the films. We've got new visual essay on the film adaptations of Henry the Fifth by Martin Contarrio. On the Hamlet disc we had a new visual essay on Olivier's Hamlet and the British War Effort by Ontario, a new interview with the professor Abigail Rocussan Woodall, and then on Richard I, we got a new visual essay by Adrian Smith, and then a new interview with Guy Adams on the films of Olivier for Olivier fans. And I know Stan is excited hopefully to be able to get this one someday to see this. This is this is a big deal to get all these in one box set for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Did is this Region C? Or like is this Do you know if this is region locked or not? Because this they're just putting out a bunch of out of print criterion stuff.
Speaker 2: This is Region B. Australia falls under Region B. Regenc is only certain parts of Asia.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, but this is but is it like region B? Or is it like it will.
Speaker 3: Be region free? It'll say Region B on the back, but it will be region free.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, because this these are these movies are all amazing, like this set learned Olivier. I think, like he, some of the people don't talk about it a lot anymore because I don't know for whatever reason that like, these movies are all excellent. They're very very well made.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you want more information on Olivier, Stan who is a super fan or a Stan as it is called, wrote two uh, well one, but we had to divide it between two issues. Very long pieces on Olivier that you could check out the physical Media Advocat from last year really really interesting.
Speaker 3: I loved reading it.
Speaker 2: Then their third box set for this month, also coming on May twenty eighth, is Film Focus Carol Baker from nineteen sixty one to sixty five. This is going to include Something Wild, Sylvia and Harlow. Sylvia is a first time on Blu Ray anywhere in the World, and as usual, you got new extras on here. We got a new interview on Something Wild with Foster Hirsch, new interview with Lucy Bolton on the career of Carol Baker. We've got on Sylvia, where is that new interview with Foster Hirsch again, new visual essay on Carol Baker by Daniel Kramer, and usually he does stuff on directors primarily, so it's interesting to see him break out into this. And then on Harlow we had a new interview with Foster Hirsch as well, So brand new extras on all three. Pretty pretty exciting to get these as well. I know there's a lot of people that after seven put out their Lindsey Baker box set they got really excited about Carol Baker and she's gotten some love over the last few years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask if there's any ties to that, But that's cool. This is a This is all the same month.
Speaker 2: All three of those are in May from Imprint, Yes a month. This one was announced later, but also coming from Sandpiper Pictures on the same day as all those ones we talked about. This is the Charge of the Light Brigade from nineteen sixty eight, David Hemming's Vanessa Redgrave. Just you know, small names in classic Hollywood cinema.
Speaker 4: Interesting, you know there's a there's that label. I can't believe I'm blanking on the name right now. I love the guy. He's a one man shop. He puts out a lot of silent films.
Speaker 3: Ben Modell is the owner.
Speaker 4: No, not that one, No, not that one, not under Crank. But he's on the left coast and he puts out he put out the Jack, the Da Vivier set, and he puts out a lot of what's his Anyways. They also have a line that they tried out for a while of because they were putting like forty fifty dollars releases out in licker Ally, flicker Alley, thank you, And they also put out a line of like lesser features and sort of like a quicker like like a less put together package, you know, for twenty bucks twenty five bucks. I wonder how that's doing. By the way, that Sandpaper kind of is making me think.
Speaker 3: Of them interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, licker Alley is doing a lot more work than Sandpaper.
Speaker 4: Will say, yeah, maybe it's not fair to compare, yeah, but I know they were just it's kind of like Janice Contemporaries is another one, like like there's some of this that they're you know, Eclipse was doing it on DVD right there. They are like there is somewhat of a history. I'm trying to give the people from all of some love if possible, Like there is some history of like physical media companies doing this kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I guess right, not Flicker Rally, though I will say flicker Rally has always been really great on the restorations and the extras. True Keno on May twenty seventh is releasing a lot of stuff this first one and most of them actually we had already heard about previously, but we got some extras.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, no, Okay, hold on, let me find the name of the line. Flicker Alley is amazing. But there's a line they tried that's like their budget line and they even announced it.
Speaker 3: Is that.
Speaker 4: That's all I'm talking.
Speaker 2: About, Cinema of Discovery. Is that what you're talking about, because that was what the dvvier set was.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, no no no. They specifically had a whole line that came out. It was just because when he came on they lived by film. He talked about this. It was a whole line Flickerfusion, Flickerfusion, so it was sixth Okay, maybe they stopped making them, so maybe it didn't take off. I hope it did. But yeah, yeah, like right now some of them are on sale for like five bucks. Unfortunately done well. I hope it's I hope it takes off for him. But the whole thing was just like it was meant to be. This like budget thing is my whole point, right, No, dude, no, the take is not that Flicker Alley's cheap. No no, no, no no. They're one of the best at restoring and giving love to like classic cinema. Forget it. I'm digging myself into it deeper.
Speaker 2: It is a good point here from Craig Sandpiper is not budget. They're literally charging twenty five dollars for re releases with no ball features.
Speaker 3: Okay, budget should be like fifteen for those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: So, like I was saying, cuta Lober on May twenty seventh, releasing a bunch of titles, a bunch of ones that have been announced, but now we're talking about extras. This first one, I'll Sleep and I'm Dead from two thousand and three Clive Owen classic movie. A lot of people love this. Obviously it's Mike Hodges and that's big deal. No new extras on this whatsoever. They did carry over the audio commentary featurette, some deleted scenes, but nothing new, which is kind of crazy on this one.
Speaker 4: Who's the second actor in?
Speaker 3: That? Is it?
Speaker 4: Who's it's Jonathan Rice Myers? Yeah, Jonathan Ree Myers. That's yeah. This is a fun one. That's a good movie.
Speaker 2: Next up is Natan Hayes. We had talked about this previously. This is with Tommy Lee Jones and Michael O'Keefe is also getting a blue on May twenty seventh. This will have a new audio commentary by Dwayne Epstein and a second new audio commentary with Mike Leader and Russell Waltz er Wait wait what am I waiting for?
Speaker 3: So that's cool.
Speaker 2: They gave this one two new commentaries, but not a new one on I'll Sleep when I'm Dead, which I feel like you could have done a lot on Hodges on that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely is this Mike Leader is like our Mike Leader, like like v MIC leader.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: Good for him. I know he's wanting to get out of just doing Hong Kong stuff. Good for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both Arna and Mike have been not they're not feuding or anything, but they've they've been separating and doing more of the things that they each individually love rather than just the martial arts stuff, which is really nice to.
Speaker 3: See them be able to do. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Good, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Then we got Last Breath, which is a movie from twenty twenty four that I've heard is incredible. This is coming on April twenty ninth from Universal and it stars Woody Harrelson, Simoulu and Finn Cole. It's about deep sea divers and they're battling some elements as their crewmate gets trapped under water and they're like getting dragged along the bottom of the ocean with like the anchor being dragged and all kinds of stuff going on. It's supposed to be great. You got an audio commentary on here, and it's got making of and a couple more things that they didn't announce, which probably means like so titles or a trailer, and that's it. Usually when it's a studio disc, you don't say and more lessens and be something great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this has, this has I can't remember where I've seen it. There's a really funny meme about one of the actors in this movie named Cliff Curtis, because he's like he's used to play just like any like brown character and and it's a really funny either YouTube maybe Dan. I can't remember where I saw it now, but it's if I'll try to post it in your in your discord and then separately for Ronnie because he hasn't joined yet.
Speaker 2: But Ronnie is definitely a woman by the way.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sorry she hasn't done yet, alrighty, but I'll post it if I find it. It's it's funny because he's even he's very self aware of just playing like any ethnic character.
Speaker 2: I think when Stan is saying Cliff Curtis is great and Sunshine, when do we get a great release of Sunshine? That movie deserves some contextual extras.
Speaker 4: Heck you.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Next up after the Last Breath, Hey, this features you as well. The brand new issue of the Physical Media Advocate is finally printed. We had like four things get in the way this month. This was supposed to come out on March first and just barely went to print. So you can check this out on Amazon and in retail now. Also, if you are a Patreon subscriber, those are ordered and they will be on the way to.
Speaker 3: Your house soon.
Speaker 2: If you are somebody else who wants one of these, you can subscribe at the Patreon by a single issue for me, or go to Amazon whatever you want. But this one I wanted to bring up tonight because we never talked in depth about what you've done for Physical Media Advocate so far. What are you covering an arrow alley, sir?
Speaker 4: So specifically in this episode, in this edition or in general.
Speaker 2: I mean the whole thing. It's all been one ongoing series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that was just a I thought it would be kind of fun to track the first hundred titles that Aero put out because it's like a it's like a film school in a box, like for genre and exploitation movies. And there's a great artist called Elizabeth UW that I went out and like commissioned a piece of art for mike O. Kaji was like it's blood dripping and I loved it when she's when she showed me, and yeah, I just wanted to kind of like I think, you know, we don't talk arrows on an interesting trajectory because they've become sort of they've just been putting out like a whole bunch of like big titles now, like huge Hollywood titles now, but their origins are you know, horror and genre and exploitation from like every country. And so there's like Greek stuff, there's a ton of Japanese stuff, a ton of Italian Spanish. Like it's cool, Like I really love the first hundred movies. So the segment's called arrow Alley and it's anywhere from what like two to four movies a month that I mean an episode that go in there. And it's an honor to do it because the physical media advocate I was there when you were kind of brainstorming the idea and it's like really taken off into becoming something that really proud to be a part of.
Speaker 2: It's an honor to have you. I mean, to have Elizabeth's art in there is really incredible to.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 2: Stan giving you some very specific love. Every single month we talked about it. So, yeah, I appreciate what you've been able to do. The rest of the stuff, there's a lot in here. One of my favorite pieces. Stan got a couple people that he used to work with at a video store literally decades ago, and they all got together and just reminisced about working in the store and we got pictures from back in the day all in the issue.
Speaker 3: Check it out. We did a really fun.
Speaker 2: Piece on bad movie posters this issue, and oh my god, you're gonna love some of them that you've probably never seen before. It is a fun issue. Check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Umbrella.
Speaker 2: These all got announced in the middle of the night last night, US time, and this is a huge fricking month from them. These are coming on July ninth in Australia. This first one is a Blu Ray release of Intacto from two thousand and one, not what I've seen, but some gorgeous art on this one. They've got a great set of extras on everything this month. This one is gonna have a forty eight page booklet in it. We've got a new essay, Rigid Slipcase and all that reversible poster.
Speaker 3: Numbered release.
Speaker 2: New interview with the co writer on this film, New the Next Reels, Andy Nelson and pe Wright talk about the film archival commentary. There's a short film on here, lots of making of there's a Max von sidao trailer reel, new stills gallery, like, there's a lot on here.
Speaker 4: Oh this movie, man, I haven't thought about this movie on a while. This movie is awesome.
Speaker 5: This is what is.
Speaker 4: This is how I learned of the term magical realism. Nice because I was like, what is going on in this and then I was researching it, and then people that were smarter than me were talking about magical realism. Yeah, this movie is really good.
Speaker 3: It's good to hear.
Speaker 2: I am very much considering this one. I've not been compelled for something like this in a long time.
Speaker 3: This looks incredible.
Speaker 2: Next one is another one that somehow I've missed, But Jeremy has been talking up to Me All Day. The Science of Sleep from two thousand and seven, a Michelle Gondry film, also getting a big Blu ray release on July ninth. This is also with Charlotte Gainsberg, who's great that you and I talked about last year on a couple episodes that they lived by film, forty eight page booklet. In this one limited numbered release, we had a new commentary by Gregory Ferris. We've got a dream spaces the artist Andrew Frost on The Science of Sleep, Clayman Making of Art, featurette, archival commentary, lots of other stuff coming in this. This looks like a pretty incredible release. Not to mention the packaging they're putting together for this film seems to really fit with the style of this movie and just knowing that it's a Michel Gondry film, this this looks really incredible. You need to get a calendar.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Michelle Gandry is one that like, if you like his stuff, you like his stuff, right, like he I love I love this movie and he's he's my favorite that I like to talk about if we ever have to talk about like practical effects and perspective and just doing stuff like he'll instead of using a CGI or whatever, he'll right sold Marn. That's all I needed to hear. I love he he He's the kind of guy that would rather create one set that's like all black and one set that's all white with clouds, and then transition the camera so it looks like they're going from sleep to waking up. Like he would rather do that physically than through any kind of animation. And it's cool, like the behind the behind the scene features for his movies are always as interesting or better than the movies because seeing the way his brain works, it's just like like he's an actual magician. Some of the stuff that he does. It's really really, really cool. And I think this is an underrated movie. This is a fun one.
Speaker 2: Key Ray is pointing out this is the biggest month for Umbrella on record, and shout out Key Ray if you are active on Facebook. He runs the Umbrella group and goes live every time they're doing announcements just to hype them up and get a bunch of people. I think he's pretty close to a full Umbrella collection if I remember right, Like a full Umbrella collection, like for the last couple decades, like trying to get all the DVDs.
Speaker 3: I'd love to know how far away you are. Let me know the chat.
Speaker 4: Here the sounds like a sex thing, but.
Speaker 3: Australia it is.
Speaker 4: But that's super impressive. Thank you care for your good work.
Speaker 2: Next up from them is another big one, oz Ploitation Rarities, Volume three. This is gonna cover nineteen seventy five, eighty two, and eighty five, and we've got Scoby Malone from seventy five. We've got Goodbye Paradise from eighty two and then The Empty Beach from eighty five. All of these are getting brand new umbrella restorations, so they're going to look incredible. This is gonna come if you buy the deluxe box set, it'll have a forty eight page book, some poster cards, reversible posters will be a limited number release. And their first two Osploitation sets are incredible. This has new commentaries with the filmmakers, it's got interviews with the producers, It's got a lot of stuff. I mean literally, all three titles brand new acts. This is a pretty incredible set, especially if you're looking to get into ousplitation. To get three restored titles from an Australian company that's proud of them.
Speaker 3: This is a big deal.
Speaker 4: I love I love the work they're doing with OUs Plitation.
Speaker 3: Ryan.
Speaker 4: I think, I hope I'm not wrong with this, but I think some of the ones from the first box are part of the partner releases with vinegar syndrome. I think I'm sorry if I'm leading you astray, but I do think there's another way to get those. But yeah, there these are must buys. Us Plitation movies are so.
Speaker 2: Fun, especially when they get brain and restorations. They look amazing. Yeah, there you go. Key Rate confirms I have a full set and always up to date. That is wild.
Speaker 4: Is that more impressive than a full Criterion collection? What's Umbrell up? They've put out a lot of stuff, and there's a lot of stuff that doesn't even like come over, you know we don't talk.
Speaker 2: About well and not only this is not only like Current and Blu rays, but like DVD from more than ten years ago. Huge number of titles from Umbrella. I love watching your face when a new comment catches your eye and you just lost for a minute.
Speaker 4: I was thinking of I don't know if Aaron's comment as a reference to the Office, but that's a great episode from the Office.
Speaker 2: Then we've got Neverland Nightmare from twenty twenty five. This is the third film in the Twisted Childhood Universe, otherwise known for many people as the Pooh Niverse since the other two of the Winnie the Pooh movies. This is gonna include one of their kids books that they did for the first two of the Winnie the Pooh books. It's a sixteen page book. You've got deleted, seeing sixteen art cards and some more lots coming in here for a movie that does not look great to me, But I know a lot of people love those one of the Poop movies.
Speaker 4: They're pretty low on my list on my watch list, but one day I'll get to I mean, yeah, I think I mean, it's a fun it's a cute little concept thing, right.
Speaker 3: Paul says.
Speaker 2: Umbrella has titles that they don't even have a record of. They released so much between two thousand and four to two thousand and eight, And I mean, Kira for a while was posting like I got another Hall from eBay and it's like seventeen DVDs that are all super hard to find, and he's just like crossing him off his list.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Wait, is Kira like Dice K.
Speaker 3: But but for Umbrella he's the Australia Umbrella. Dice O Kay, what an honor?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: That works. That works for me. I'm sure you're you're into this next one. This is This is already on people's list and it hasn't even been released yet. For the best release of the year, Umbrella on July ninth putting out a Michael Hanneke box set called I Love That. It says never Land Nightmare at the Still, I'm an idiot. This one has fifteen films in this box set. Holy shit, Kira Umbrella has the DVD counts around four thousand and five hundred and you have around nine hundred.
Speaker 4: I don't realized they were that prolific. So, yeah, that is more impressive than the critia English. Geez. So my name for tonight is incorrect because of this box set. Sorry, I'm very excited about this.
Speaker 2: So they are putting out Three Paths to the Lake Lemmings Part one and Part two, seventh continent Benny's video The Rebellion seventy one fragments of a chronology of Chance. The Castle Funny Games nineteen ninety seven, Code Unknown, The Piano Teacher, Time of the Wolf Hidden also known as Cachet, The White Ribbon, and Armor. What's interesting to me is I think this is only missing two of his titles, if what I read today is correct, one of them being the Funny Games remake, which does have a Blu Ray but only in like the UK.
Speaker 4: And then that about Old People, right, Yeah, more, I think it's.
Speaker 2: Called something yeah, And a lot of these yes have been released from some other places. But literally every single film in this has incredible extras, a lot of brand new stuff. Some of these have never been on Blu Ray before. This is a massive, massive get for Umbrella.
Speaker 3: This is huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my mind is exactly where Brendan's is. Thank whatever God you believe in that Charison didn't get this an Umbrella did yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, tra zones in the UK they could still release their.
Speaker 4: Own true true, true, true, But jeez, I didn't realize Umbrella was this prolific. That's crazy. I'm learning a lot. Three fifty Australian. Yeah, but the exchange rate is good. It's only like eighty five dollars US.
Speaker 3: Only eighty five dollars us. That's funny. Oh man, Yeah, this is this is wild.
Speaker 2: It's gonna have one hundred plus page hardbound book in here exploring the films of Michael Hanneka, includes a bunch of essays. It's got a sixteen by twenty inch canvas poster, custom die cut rigid case, limited hand numbered release, sorry not hand number, just limited numbered release. And then on top of all that, like I said, extras galore. So on Lemmings, there is Alexandra Heller Nicholas doing a visual essay on those films. We got an interview with Hannaka that's brand new on the Seventh Continent. New commentary with Alison Taylor. Thomas Caldwell is speaking on the Seventh Continent on Benny's Video, New commentary with Emma Westwood and Stephen Russell.
Speaker 3: A lot.
Speaker 2: There's so much that is coming on these it is. It is wild how much we're getting. New commentary is on most of the title, new interviews on a lot of the titles. I really do just wish it must have been something with licensing. Would have been great if they were able to get all of the titles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't If anyone wants to like look at who is somebody said, Paul, you've only seen Piano Teacher. Obviously a lot of people are going to be talking about Funny Games, rightfully, so, but don't slip on the white ribbon. That movie is super super good and I think it's going to get rediscovered through this set. Like yeah, but I remember I saw a white ribbon in theaters and I just remember feeling like, holy cow, Like why more people talking about this? It's a really, really, really good movie.
Speaker 2: I wanted to shout out specifically on Hidden or Cachet. William bib Beyonni and Whitney Seibold are on the commentary. I think they both do a visual essay or maybe a commentary for another title as well. I think it's Funny Games. Actually, bib Beyonni has been on the channel. He's a friend of mine, really great critic. Check him out. He does incredible work and does not get enough love.
Speaker 4: That's awesome. Yeah, Cashay has You can't really call it a jump scare. I guess that's not fair to it, but like it has one of the best like surprise, just like brutal shocking moments, I think, and because the whole film kind of builds suspense and you have a lot of false starts and then when it hits it, it hits in such a great way. Yeah, Adam, Yeah, I agree. It's uh yeah, it's a great movie.
Speaker 2: Brendan wants to know how many of these are HD debuts, Aaron, I think I remember him having that answer earlier. I think it's two or three are HD debuts something like that.
Speaker 4: Restored by Sandpiper.
Speaker 2: Stan the remake of Funny Games is not included. You are correct. It is just the original. Hannuka himself directed both of them, and there's got to be something worldwide with the rights that it's not able to get another release because it should have had one by now, and they no.
Speaker 3: Do you not like either one of them? I don't know.
Speaker 4: The original Funny Games is amazing, but the remake is like why, Like, there's no point for the remake, don't just watch?
Speaker 2: I disagree fully, primarily because of the chemistry and the actors in that one.
Speaker 3: I prefer the actors in the in the remake.
Speaker 4: Right, hard disagree the like it's the most unnecessary thing. It's I will say it's better than Spike Lee's remake of Old Boy.
Speaker 2: Pretty much everything is. But I mean I love Naomi Watts, she's incredible in that, and Tim Roth is amazing and Brady Corbet, who was you know, just a big renowned filmmaker for last year for The Brutalist it was also in it.
Speaker 4: I think if I hadn't seen the original first, if I had seen the US win first, I'd probably be like super into it. But it's just like the original but worse, Like why would you? Why would you remake it? There's no point.
Speaker 5: It's not worse, man, you know, it's like.
Speaker 4: The same thing. It's like it's like there's a difference between the original idea versus someone being like, okay, I just need to do that when I act. I love all those actors in it, like I'm not like I would you know, they're all great.
Speaker 2: No, Like it's the same director purposely making a shot by shot remake.
Speaker 5: Like that's not worse, all right, it is better.
Speaker 4: It is better that he did it, for sure than like some cheesy American studio that does not giving him credit or something that is better. But I think, why there's no reason to remake it? Thank you.
Speaker 2: Kp KB says watching back to back that sounds like an awful afternoon. I got it would be awful, but for some good news. Not that that wasn't good news, that was great news. April twenty second, we are getting a four K steal book of Tombstone from Disney. Yes, the nineteen ninety three Touchstone Pictures Tombstone. This is a pretty huge deal. We don't get many of these. This had a brand new four K restoration show up on like digital providers recently, and this will not have new bonus features or anything like that, but it will have the same Blu ray that was in I think it was the twenty eleven release, which will also have the slightly extended cut that will not be in four K only. The theatrical version will be in four K. Incredible movie. One of the best westerns of all time. Because I don't love westerns either, but this one's amazing. How do you feel about Tombstone?
Speaker 4: No, it's amazing. I love every second of it. It's super catching and I don't buy a lot of still books. But there's a really good addition of Tombstone out somewhere, isn't there Not really none? Okay, I might get this then, Yes.
Speaker 2: The Blu ray from twenty eleven is the best and it's pretty bad.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I'm sorry, I'm thinking of the DVD. There was like a really nice DVD of this. I think that I still have.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: No, it is the DVD I'm thinking of. But okay, well, maybe I'll get.
Speaker 2: This Indicator, which seems to be like they don't announce a lot lately, but then they come out of nowhere and announce some bangers. Today, June twenty third, four K blu ray releases in the UK only of Cardinal Knowledge from nineteen seventy one, with Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Candice Bergen, Art Garfuncle, Big Names, and Margaret This one is going to be a four K UHD presentation with Dolby Vision if you get the four K version. We got a commentary with Joe's Justin Bozung on this a name I don't think I've.
Speaker 3: Ever heard before.
Speaker 2: We've got Mike Nichols and Jason I'm in conversation from twenty eleven, Richard Iowade providing an in depth appreciation of the film and its director, which is pretty damn exciting. Love Richard iowa Da We've got a limited edition booklet coming in this as well, with a bunch of stuff including archival interviews, new essay by Brad Stevens, and some more limited to eight thousand copies, five thousand four k's three thousand Blu rays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, UK only title on this one.
Speaker 2: Four k's region free, so if you really want it, you got access to it. To me, this screams like a Keno or even Criterion.
Speaker 3: I could see putting this out.
Speaker 4: I have not seen Colonel Knowledge before, but I love the way Richard Cooaia talks about movies. Yeah, like that guy loves movies.
Speaker 2: He really does. If that's not enough for you, They've got a Day at the Beach. This is coming on Blu Ray in the UK on January, not January Wow, June twenty third, and then June twenty fourth in North America. This is going to have a four K scan of the OCN by Indicator themselves. Two presentations of the film, the original cut newly restored, and then the extended version presented from a SD master. We've got the original audio on this one. There is a feature link documentary on the producer from twenty fifteen that they're including behind the Camera archival documentary that they're including new English subs, and then a limited edition booklet like they always do with their releases.
Speaker 3: This is a big one.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised they're not highlighting this more or the C word Carnel.
Speaker 3: Close.
Speaker 2: So are you talking about It's weird that they're not marketing that Roman Plansky wrote it and they've seen into that.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's some reason they But then also this has Peter Seller's and I think it's interesting he's credited as a queen. I don't know why he shows to credit himself that way, but he's in this. Yeah, this is the fun one. This is a good one, all right.
Speaker 3: That's a day movie. And then final two titles.
Speaker 2: These ones are interesting because they don't get a lot of US only titles or North America only titles. These next two are coming out in the US only, no UK releases. This is The Gentle Gunman from nineteen fifty two getting a four K and Blu ray release. This is a interesting way to approach these. That's got a four K presentation with Dolby Vision. It's gonna have a twenty twenty five director and screenwriter James Deerden introduce his father's work. There is a piece from The Guardian from nineteen eighty three that's an interview with Dick Bogard, A closer look at The Gentle Gunman from twenty twenty two, All Hands, a short film from nineteen forty, and then a booklet as well.
Speaker 4: This is a out to Basil.
Speaker 2: As I stated, yeah, we had to shout him out tonight. And then the last one one of the best titles I've seen in a long time of a would I say, Dick Bogard sorry stand is Dirk Bogart best titles I've seen in a long time? The Ship That Died of Shame from nineteen fifty five. The other one from Indicator that's getting in North America only four K and Blu ray release. This is starring Richard Attenborough and we've got a James Jarden introduces his father's work on this one as well. There is an interview with Richard Attenborough from two thousand and one, An Uneasy Alliance from twenty twenty three, where an author and film historian Neil Signard delves into the world of ealing studios. I got a short film from nineteen forty again on this one. We got another limited booklet and love the cover on this one too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know much. Richard Edinburgh is one of these guys that like really like sells it when he's acting like he really goes for it. Yeah, so this seems like a fun action movie. I haven't I haven't seen it, but I do want to see it.
Speaker 2: Then April twenty ninth, in the US, we are getting a four K steel book from Warner Brothers of Lethal Weapon from nineteen eighty seven, and this seems to be some of the most divisive cover art I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about that one? There, Chris?
Speaker 4: What's wrong with people? Why would they put this as the cover for LEA? This would be a better cover for loaded weapon? Mm hm, Like this is not a cover for lethal Weapon? Like no, I mean, yeah, there's humor in the movie, but like, what the hell is this?
Speaker 2: I feel like they couldn't get likeness rights? But even then, like a picture of a gun with the words lethal weapon would have been better?
Speaker 4: No anything, Like yeah, this is this is horrible horrible cover, right, But like both in the sense that it's not good creatively, but also it's not at all a representation of the movie.
Speaker 3: No, not even a little bit.
Speaker 4: No, they fired the art department.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about Lethal Weapon the movie itself?
Speaker 4: It's great, It's wonderful. Like, yeah, this is a like we're going to talk about VSA a little bit later. This is not necessarily a VSA release, but like this is the kind of thing that VSA releases are trying to be, right, Like this is a great Yeah, it's like a perfect studio action movie. Yeah, it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Obviously great writing from Shane Black, directed by Richard Donner.
Speaker 3: Fun movie. Interested to see in four K.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Air forty four forty four is started announcing more titles. The first one here is alone from two thousand and seven. There is a collector's edition pre order that they're going to be announcing soon. But this one, the trailer they put up looks pretty damn creepy. I'm not seeing this one, but it looks very interesting.
Speaker 4: I love Era forty forty four forty four because, like it's rare that when they it's rare that I've heard of a movie they put out. But I love them all so far. So I don't usually have a lot to say like ahead of time with these movies. They Some of the early ones they put out were pretty much like classics that have been begging for a release for a long time. I don't know about this one. Maybe it's in the same boat. I haven't heard of it, but I'm a huge fan of what they're doing. The only thing I will say and negative about Era forty four because I love these guys to death. I wish they had an option of no Chotsky's That's the only thing I would say.
Speaker 3: I hear you on that one.
Speaker 2: This one is way ahead of time. But wanted to be able to point out that Film Masters is working with the three D Film Archive to release in twenty twenty six a three D blu ray of Catwomen of the Moon from nineteen fifty four. This premiered in New York seventy one years ago. The three D Film Archive is working on both of these. They've got both the left and right thirty five millimeter master elements and they're putting them back together. Three D Film Marchive put up this long story about how both of the left and right elements were separated, and it's fascinating story. Go check that out on their socials, but I'm glad they're doing this. Three D film Archive does just astonishing work and it takes them a while, but it's because they're putting their all into it, and this will look amazing as usual.
Speaker 4: Catwomen of the Moon came out when I was fifteen, and I have to admit I was disappointed in the lack of nudity when I saw it.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that you knew in nineteen thirty when you were born, that you were going to be doing the show. Just a mirror eighty six years later. Ultraman Trigger. This is that one Lone Mill Creek title I was alluding to earlier May six. They're putting out Ultraman Trigger, the complete series plus Ultraman Trigger Episode Z from twenty twenty one and twenty two. They kind of do incredible work and all the Ultraman stuff, so I'm sure this will be great. It's not necessarily my style. I'm not into all of the Kaiju stuff, but it looks incredible and I did try with the Ultraman.
Speaker 3: I promise careful.
Speaker 4: Careful, because that was that was the hottest take of the night. I think I know what you meant to say, but not into the Kaiju stuff. Isn't Godzilla technically Kaiju? Uh Like, isn't that just mean like monster movies?
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I think there's more to it than that.
Speaker 2: And even then, I mean, I've been on record saying before I'm not the world's biggest Godzilla fan. I'm trying to force it on myself and get into them more.
Speaker 3: For sure, guys getting.
Speaker 2: I believe somebody will probably correct in the chat, But yeah, I think Kaiju has more to do than just monster movie.
Speaker 5: I think it.
Speaker 4: I think, Okay, this is old information that could be wrong. I think it means strange creature. I think it's like the translation. But I anyways, but I think what you're trying to say. If I interpreting your you're right.
Speaker 2: It says it's a giant monster of a type featured in Japan Japanese fantasy and science fiction movies and television programs.
Speaker 4: But like the Ultraman series, I'm kind of with you on That's why I want to like there's there's a certain genre of Japanese movies where it's like people that are like big doing things or like silly, silly, more silly kind of stuff that's not like kind.
Speaker 3: Of like Power Rangers.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yah yeah yeah, And like I'm not necessarily into that, so I think I know what you're trying to say.
Speaker 3: That is exactly it. Good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Wayne's World too. We just talked about this recently, but Kino's already announced details on this one. They're putting out Wyne's World two on four K on May twenty seventh. Uh, this one is gonna have all the same extras that it had previously, nothing else brand new. It's got an audio commentary with the director, It's got an extreme close up featurette, some TV spots, and a trailer. But I will stand by the fact that I said I may like this one more than the first one. This movie is pretty damn good.
Speaker 3: To Satsu, is that the name I was thinking.
Speaker 4: Of Jack is just typing into hint a point titles into Google and.
Speaker 3: Now I'm doing it in another tab.
Speaker 4: How do you positively separate Wayne's World one in two? They're both like amazing, They're both incredible, And doesn't this one have Ta Carrera or is that the first they both do? Are they both do? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, I mean like, yeah, this is they're both to me like, I don't know, they're classic comedies that age and they age well, they're not like they're not just sitting there like with hard rs every ten seconds or something like. Like, they're just funny, good comedies, now you know what I mean? Though sometimes you watch Jackass and you're like, but this is this one ages well.
Speaker 3: I want to point out the definition of tokusatsu.
Speaker 2: It says it's a Japanese term for live action films or television programs to make heavy use of practical special effects, and that's the whole definition of Wikipedia. But it says kaiju is a subgenre of tokusatsu, which is very interesting. So I don't even know what I meant then, because it's clearly not everything involving practical effects.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite. Ryan's taking give me all that blood and CGI please, oh man? That is all.
Speaker 2: And then on the same day, May twenty seventh, they are putting out their four K of Kingpin that we talked about fairly recently. This one does get a new audio commentary with Brian Reaeseman and Max every Not sure this will likely get a two sided cover so that you could flip it around if you want, but they've not announced that part yet.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it will be coming soon.
Speaker 4: You know, I wish like I don't love this cover. I mean, the artwork is fine, but it makes it look you what, this is a terrible poster.
Speaker 3: Okay, good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because it makes it look almost like Porky's or something, and like Kingpin is a really funny movie and it's not. I mean, Porky's is funny too, but like it's nothing like it, like it's I don't know, it's a little I think this poster is making it seem like it's some silly slapsticky kind of thing. I like it. It has that, but it's not necessarily that. Like No is a smart comedy and it's very funny.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, this is this is very very good. That is that is it?
Speaker 3: My friend.
Speaker 2: For the announcements, we went through all of them. We do have one more thing to cover, like we always do.
Speaker 3: We've got what is coming out next week in case you happen to have.
Speaker 2: Forgotten, and so we are leading with Night of the Creeps four K from Scream Factory. Zoom out here just a little bit. The Brutalist four K from a twenty four Night Moves four K from Criterion One that I'm looking very much forward to, Tommy Boy four K from the Studio, Don't Torture a Duckling four K from Arrow, Black Sheep four K from Keno themselves, Baby Girl four K from A twenty four. All of the OCN stuff for the month of March is going to be here, but nothing that is brand new announcements, necessarily the Glass Web three D from Keno. Also this week, Star Trek Lower Decks the complete series. Shaw Brothers Cloud six is continuing down their line with these excellent box sets. Have you got any of those Shop brother sets yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah? The Shout Which one is this one? Volume six?
Speaker 3: This is Volume five or six? One of the two I've got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got four at home. I've got them all.
Speaker 3: They're just so expensive, but they're so great.
Speaker 4: So damn expensive. But like yeah, and I don't mean to always shit on Shout Factory because I'm happy that they're putting these out, but like I think they're using I think in their brain like commentary means like we did a good job on special features. And I know I'm being super nitpicky, so forgive me. I'm very happy they have commentaries, but what they did for these releases is they would get like two people and just have them alternate on commentaries for the whole set. And they did that, I think in the in lieu of like a lot of interesting behind the scenes stuff. So I'm just hoping that I haven't listened to the commentary yet. Maybe maybe they got the right people, and maybe they're amazing. I just hope that they are, because I think they didn't necessarily, like what vinegar Syndrome or Severn or Mondo does. They really give like the context for the film, and they get people involved and you know, all this stuff. And I don't think Shaw is not really I mean shot Factors not really doing that. They're just they're putting the commentaries on there. So I hope at least the commentaries do that.
Speaker 2: They are doing some of that, just not as much as they should be, I would agree. But your your boy Frank Jane is on a lot of them, so that's a good thing.
Speaker 4: Not as much as I would hope. Maybe this is just me my way of saying I wish he was on more.
Speaker 3: I completely understand that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, no, but I wish I mean, but the people could be great. Honestly, Like I just and I saw it and I was like, man, there's like so much to say about Shaw Brothers. I wish there's a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Well, they still have like eight hundred and fourteen titles they can release, So we'll see you. No Warner Archive next week, Magilla Gorilla, the Complete series, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Yeah, the Radiance release of the Eel Diary of a Chambermaid from Keno, Ceadie McKee from Warner Archive. We got Suddenly in the Dark shipping fairly soon from TerrorVision. I don't think it'll.
Speaker 3: Be next week.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be shortly after that. Hit Man from Warner Archive. Earth two from Wurner Archive, the Tenth Victim from Keno, and some standard editions from Arrow. The Lady is the Boss from eighty eight Films. Memoir of a Snails coming out in a single feature release or a double feature release if you want, Mary Max, which is also an incredible film. Hijack Highway from Keno getting its release next week. Monogram Mattinee Volume one from Warner Archive. Curious to see how they take that in the future. Hong Kong, Hong Kong from eighty eight films, An Amorous Woman of the Tang Dynasty from eighty eight films as well, Bobby Joe and the Outlaw from Keno Larber. They've got a couple others Dance or Die coming from Terror Vision the next couple weeks, Gushing Prayer as well. Revenge of the Radioactive Reporter is shipping now and I think that's it for the most part. And Custody the proprietor from Cohen Media. Any of these you got pre ordered or excited about here soon, sir?
Speaker 4: I mean, wait, did you just pass Her Body as coming out in March twenty.
Speaker 3: Fifth, it's the standard release, Okay.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, Her Body's cool, that's a good one. And Delicatessen, I would say if anybody hasn't seen Delicatessen for the third time tonight, I'll say, if you have even a slight interest in surrealism, no, you know what Delicate Testin is. To tie it into tonight, it's a movie that reminds me the most of Brazil of any movie I've ever seen. Like, if you're a fan of Brazil and you haven't seen Delicatessen, fixed that because you'll love it, but no, I'm I looked at my what I spent on movies in twenty twenty four. I made the mistake of like breaking that out, and so I'm in a little bit of a slow down on purchases. I'm the Vendo of your syndrome. Stuff I'm going to buy, and like I'm really really focusing on like must haves, so you know, like the Hannohas set comes up and two months worth of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Hanneka box is crazy. I know a lot of people that went pretty nuts today getting that immediately. So I'm sure that's going to be a big thing for like we hang up.
Speaker 4: I'm going to get it to make sure I don't miss it, because I can't imagine what the aftermarket prices are going to be on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's a great question.
Speaker 2: When it's already expensive and coming from a company that you know, the shipping threshold is lower than the box set, so it's already free shipping.
Speaker 3: That that's a that's a pretty big sign.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's funny. I just I forgot to mention this earlier by total coincidence. So there's a guy on Reddit named Tim and he's, uh, he watches like twelve hundred movies a year or something. He's just like always watching movies. And we started connecting on Reddit, another Reddit connection, and so once a year we do a director series. We've done it a few years in a row. This year we're going through Michelle Hanica and I thought it was interesting. We've been We're three movies in. It's my fault that we're not deeper in. We started in December and I've been busy at work, but it's really hard to find his early stuff. So one of the things I'm most excited about of the early TV releases they put on there, because those were both on really really bad prints on YouTube right now. So if you go on Reddit, you can find and the boutique Blu Ray thing. I've there's two or possibly three movies from Michell Hanka that are on there, and over the course of the year we'll finish them all. So the timing of this boxet was like too good. I was like, wait really, because I bought all these random DVDs and Blu rays and stuff that's.
Speaker 3: Kind of out. Yeah, yeah, well that's perfect.
Speaker 2: So tonight we are discussing Vineger Syndrome. We're going to be discussed seeing the sub label specifically, not just the regular vinegar syndrome line. We're gonna be comparing them, trying to define what they are specifically. These ones listed here, we've got Vinegar Syndrome Archive, Vinegar Syndrome Labs, Vinegar Syndrome Pictures, Vinegar Syndrome Ultra Cinematograph.
Speaker 3: And de Gousser Video. Destrip Picks is sort of its.
Speaker 2: Own thing over on a Miliu scene, and they got it listed here because they list a couple of them, but really there are one to three, four or five, six, yes, six sub labels that fall under vinegar Syndrome. So we're gonna be breaking those down, defining what they are talking about, some titles in each line, and then at the end ranking our favorites in order of the six lines.
Speaker 3: To go with Chris's podcast.
Speaker 2: It's a really fun conversation, I think, because you get to hear them covering all these unpunk vacations. Go check out that show if you haven't, it's perfect.
Speaker 3: So let's get into this.
Speaker 2: Our first one up, which we probably should go in reverse order to end with the most controversial one. Let's talk about Degausser Video. So this is the line you can see here on the screen and all zoom in so you can read it. Degaser Video is a brand new label created by several of the devious minds behind VS, which will bring to Blu Ray deluxe editions of both canonical and underseen shot on video genre cinema, in addition to workshot on film but edited on tape wherein the original film materials are believed to be lost or destroyed. Similar to Vinegger syndromes focused on film preservation, Degauser will work only from original analog tape materials, with an emphasis on maintaining the aesthetics inherent to each respective video format. Additionally, each title released by Degaser will be made available in an ultralimited new VHS edition fitted in a custom designed hardshell light box, which I don't have any of, so I can't speak on the firsthand knowledge of those, but they are pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: To say the least.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about the Gausser Uh, what are some of your favorite titles that have come out on this line.
Speaker 4: I know it's super controversial, but their transfer off if we take all the business practices aside. Their transfer of Cannibal is awesome and the release of Cannibal the Musical is awesome. And I do want to give love to the work they did on that film because that well, I should say movie, because the whole point is just not shot on film, right, So that movie it's really really good and they gave it so much love and that makes me happy because Cannibal is a great fun movie. The they have the VHS of Divinity that's showing there. It's not really like a Degausser title because it's put up, but but if you haven't seen Divinity, check it out. It's really really good and interesting. Yeah, Redneck Zombies is amazing. They're they're killing it recently. Like Ice is interesting because the whole thing is has got a very particular like the way they shoot and frame. They actually kind of put but it looks like a ski mask that's broken in the middle and it has shards of glass up top in the bottom, but it looks like they attach it to the camera when they shoot, because it actually is like a POV through the lens of like a ski mask, So it's like a POV slasher.
Speaker 3: Kind of thing.
Speaker 4: It's interesting, it's it's cool, it's it's really uh. I liked it a lot actually. And then there's two No, No, No One, and it's from a director that only made three movies, and the name of the director is escaping me for a second, but blood coat that guy. He only made like two or three movies. It's interesting that they and they all have come out through like a Vineverse syndrome, some part of Vineger syndrome universe, but they haven't come out through the same one. And then Herencia the Obolika is kind of it's just a really fucked up movie. You know, it's super inappropriate on like multiple levels and is horribly offensive, but it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Fun funny enough.
Speaker 2: That's the one that I was going to say is my favorite from this line so far. I think it's a really incredible it's it's essentially Mexican child's play, and it's it's I won't say it's super well done, but it is very fun to watch. The biggest thing to point out here is most of these look pretty atrocious, and they they say at the top here that they are trying to maintain the aesthetics inherent to each respective video format. That being said, the thing here that really kind of pisss me off is like these are coming out brand new limited editions, like Iced was twenty nine ninety nine for a pretty poor looking blu ray of that title with not a lot of special features. To me, it feels like it should have been significantly cheaper than twenty nine ninety nine.
Speaker 4: It's selling out, right, Like, I'm not defending it. It's interesting though, right.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like for them, they're not being the free market is not telling them to reduce their prices. It's telling them to keep pushing it because all these the gauster is the limited editions recently have been selling out pretty fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again nothing against it, more power to them, whatever, But I to me, I feel like, especially for Iced, because it's a title that a lot of people have wanted for a long time, kind of took advantage of the consumer market on that one a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, totally. I mean to put it in perspective, espacial Is only has two thousand title or copies in the limited edition and they've only sold nine hundred, right, And like that movie has been out almost a month already, Like it was really it was announced in early March, right, So I do think it's titled by title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Cannibal to the Musical does not look bad necessarily, it's it's as good as that movie's ever looked. And honestly, these all probably look about as good as they they've ever looked, or the best that they've ever looked. But with something like iced, it genuinely looks really bad. It looks like a borderline YouTube rip of the film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean there's really no defense for it. They they kind of they built they you know, they warned you so to speak right, and they they are true to their to their word on that.
Speaker 3: Exactly. So I mean you can't really fault them for it.
Speaker 4: But Amanda ray Is that commentary from Amanda rays is awesome and Amanda Rayas is awesome.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Next up Cinematograph. Now, this one is an interesting one. It is curated primarily by Justin lit Liberty. It takes its name because a lot of people don't understand this and ask why it sounds so French. It takes its name from the Lumire Brothers invention of the same name. Cinematograph is a new sub label from Vinegar syndrome that seeks to fill gaps in the canon of American cinema. Offering a mix of a tour driven studio films produced during the New Hollywood era of the late sixties and seventies all the way through the indie boom of the eighties and nineties, Cinematograph will explore the wide breadth of American movie making, spanning numerous genres and scales of production. Curated and produced by Justin Liberty, each limited edition release will be housed in a specially designed cloth bound media book with embossed foil titles, custom molded disc trays, accompanied by a slipcase featuring newly commissioned art in an individually number J card. So this one is definitely gonna be an interesting topic for a lot of people in the chat, because I know a lot of people absolutely hate the design of the media books. They don't want to see releases like that. I've also seen a lot of people say that they think the films in this line are terrible, and that one I don't agree with. I think that they've done a lot of really great titles. What do you think about Cinematograph as a whole so far?
Speaker 4: Okay, So the design of the packaging is a little bit like having a cracker on a cracker, It's true. Yeah, Like do you need like media book with a slipcover with the case and with the thing and with the string and like I don't know, like what do they have slipcoverton No, they don't have slipcovers because they look like a book, right, So it looks like a book and it's like the Chase the Black Book. Yeah, so does it need all that stuff? Probably not? Like is this you know, the liberty like having a free reign in the toy store and getting to like create something beautiful that he like he wants to see on his shelf. Like, yes, I don't mind it. I do Like I have them all and like they're lined up and it looks it looked they look nice together. Yeah, it's probably a little overkilled. That's that's that's fair. But the movies are I mean, like there was something. There's a wide range of movies in this. There's some that I like, but like Shanks, like joy Ride, like these Going South like these are these are great movies? Like these are I mean I'm unable Ferrara fans, So like Dangerous Game for me was great. A lot of people don't like it as much, but like Red Rock West, even Little Darlings, they came out of the like like there was some slam dunk, like just classic movies in this that Criterion could easily put out. There was the knock on them in the beginning that it's like that as soon as Fun City Editions left, like Cinematgraph started and like it was, you know, they're kind of like cannibalizing that label. I don't know, like that's that's possible again, that's more of like a like a business practice thing just strictly on like what's coming out and the releases and stuff. I love it, Like I think the Liberty's taste aligns with mine more than not. I think the Last Embrace is terrible and like because that's up there on the screen right now. There there are some bad movies in the line. But like you know, I mean, I you know, based on the conversation tonight, God for bidy ilc my curated list of stuff that comes.
Speaker 2: Out, Yeah, I mean the note about Fun City leaving and their style being cannibalized is an interesting one, especially after we just talked about Degausser. I mean, you can make the same argument that a couple labels started doing shot on video on Blu Ray and they liked they proved that people would be willing to buy them on Blu Ray, and vsaid, well, all right, let's jump in.
Speaker 3: I don't know that that, but it very well could be.
Speaker 2: With this line, I get the style for a lot of them. I will say one thing, This is probably the most the line with the highest highs for art but also the lowest lows for art. For me, like the cover of Little Darlings, I think we all kind of agreed is not great because they couldn't get likeness rights. But I think the choice to do like the the coffee splatter or whatever it is, just did not look great with that film. But something like Who Killed Teddy Bear the cover of this one is genuinely incredible. I think the film choice here is really interesting. I mean, going all the way from Go Fish to Shanks within a matter of a month or two, is that that is pure range. I mean William Castle for our John Dahl like the direct that you've chosen in this line is very interesting at least, But I understand for a lot of people that the taste don't necessarily align, but I don't know, there's some really interesting choices in this.
Speaker 4: Bang the Drum Slowly is one that I would say, if you're trying to show a sports movie to somebody that doesn't like sports. Bang the Drum Slowly is the perfect film because it's like a it's really more of a story about a friend who's doing everything in his power to help another friend, and it's a super sweet movie and like it's really good and it happens to be about baseball. Yeah, I mean guilty, you know, funny enough. I don't hate Hitchcock, Yeah, hilarious. I defend Hitchcock a lot. And there's a book where Traffaux interviews Hitchcock, and I think it's literally just called Hitchcock Trufo. But it's one of the best film books ever made because Hitchcock is an actual genius and Triffau is like a super fanboy who also is super talented as just a creative person and like asked interesting questions and so like, if you don't if you're interested in a film book, they there's a video of it somewhere. But there's also a book that came out of those two interviewing each other. It's one of the best things about film I've ever read. I'm cool with Hitchcock. I think he's a little bit overrated. I will say that I think people like just I don't know, like he's good, but I don't know if he's like Hitchcock. So that's my official position on Hitchcock since it's come up a few times. There are some movies like the one on the Train. Oh sorry, I can't remember it now. It's like amazing, Stranger on the Train. No no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, it's it's the one about It's the one about where they anyways, whatever, this is not a good live show. There's a few I'll look up his films and there's like a few that are incredible. Thirty nine Steps is amazing, Lady Vanishes is amazing, Rebecca's amazing. Like, there's some really really great stuff. I just don't vibe with Verdigo because I think the character is a dick.
Speaker 2: I mean that there's so many funny comments. Yeah, and Hitchcock, I believe is kb's favorite director, so he's probably probably a little bit frustrated at the moment. All right, So that was cinematograph. Go into our next one. This is the big Boy VSU Vinegar Syndrome ultra.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a good point, Craig, Sorry, got me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you look at every movie where the main character is that Dick, I guess it's not really fair to say that it is.
Speaker 3: Sorry, what are you.
Speaker 2: Saying, Vinigerson, Amaltro. We've got eleven titles in total. We've got The Beast, Master, Stick String, Samurai, Kloakindagger, Roadhouse, Sidekicks, show Girls, Daryl, Southern Comfort, Navy Seals, Congo, and Virtuosity, and they're right up at the top of these. It says VSU is a vinegar syndrome sub label focused exclusively on I love this word choice here extravagant UHD Blu Ray releases of major eighties and nineties titles that might not always fit into the regular VS.
Speaker 3: Milieu.
Speaker 2: So these are giant boxes that are overly designed with magnets and a fancy ribbon to pull out everything. It's got the four K and Blu ray. It's always four K, always pretty big titles. It's got a big bolt, and it takes up a lot of space on your shelf. Genuinely huge titles here. I mean we're talking Chuck Norris, Patrick Swayzee, Cloak and Dagger, big one from a lot of people's childhoods. Beast Master the same, Showgirls is huge, Southern Comfort is a massive one. Navy Seals was referenced in Clerk's Congo. Pretty big title for a lot of people. How do you feel about the VSUS here, Chris?
Speaker 4: You know, it's interesting now that all of the lines are getting up or most of the lines are getting up to like twelve fifteen releases. One interesting thing I will say about most of the lions is that none of them really follow like a true pattern. Like if you look at VSU, it's easy to say it's like big Hollywood movies that are that they're getting access to. Right, That's the comment I was laughing about a second. But like, you know, Daryl doesn't fit in that category. It's like it's like big Hollywood movies and also family movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hollywood and children's films.
Speaker 4: Yeah they like right and the Girls, Yeah totally.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Sidekicks and Showgirls next to each other is funny to see.
Speaker 2: Well, look at the three in a row, Sidekicks, show Girls, Daryl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, so Paul that totally like Roadhouse is incredible and like I'm all buy I'll defense six String Samurai to anybody. That movie is great, and like The Beast Masters super fun. Southern Comfort is like super underrated, Like definitely watch go watch Southern Comfort if you haven't. But yeah, like even Virtuosity is super fun. I just there's not like there's not really like a way to define vs U I guess, other than just saying it's like movies that you know, if most of the stuff we talk about with Vinniver Syndrome, someone at work would not have heard of the movie I'm talking about, and like this is the line where like there's a good chance that people at work have heard about it.
Speaker 2: So this line is are arguably one of the more popular ones from Niger Syndrome, first of all, and it's it's literally because they are studio titles that they're gonna sell well. But the big thing here is, and I think Anthony or somebody said it, maybe it was Siminar, the big thing here is this feels like it's made for people that collect packaging. And I'm not to take away from these films because stuff like beast Master is fun at least, Cloak and Dagger is a really great movie. Roadhouse is borderline perfection. Totally get that Showgirls is great, but I like I got nothing against Darryl didn't need a giant four K hard box magnet release.
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 2: And to fit that in between, like we just said, where does Daryl fit in between Southern Comfort and Showgirls? That is such a weird like line that they're together. I truly do love some of these releases, and I do think some of them are deserving of it. Like Cloak and Dagger probably deserved this massive release because that was a genre defining, major childhood film from a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Darryl was not.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry Darryl fell below that Showgirls probably deserving of something like that. Navy Seals probably not. Yeah, this is a weird one.
Speaker 4: Like Navy Seals could have easily been an MVD rewind title, right, Yeah, so to think of that like contrast, right. But I have a theory about VSU, and this is why I'm glad the podcast is the unofficial Vinegar Syndrome podcast. I think that there is they have private equity came through for them, right, that's public knowledge like that's not so they part of the reason they're now investing in like making movies and like they're getting bigger titles is because they had a round of private equity come through for them. I think this line is one of the things it's for, not the only thing, but one of the things it's for is to raise the prices up a little bit, because if you buy a sixty dollars VSU, then like a thirty five dollars movie sounds better. And I think it's like a I think it's almost like a them sort of figuring out where the market is. It feels more of like the move that a Wall Street somebody from like Wall Street would do to kind of understand like how much are people like us hobbyists willing to actually pay for this stuff? And I don't know they they I think it's my fault. Well, I don't know. I don't mean to take credit for it, but I was like very open about the fact that you could check their inventory account and then they fixed it so you can't check it anymore. So I don't know if it's me, but I think that enough people maybe we're talking about it, But I.
Speaker 2: Don't know how you know the answer to that one. Actually, but you what, I think we know the answer to that one, but I won't say it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think that's But I don't know how these are selling though, which is an interesting thing. I mean, I know, are any of the VSU sold out? Forgive me if they are?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: I believe Master's probably sold out.
Speaker 2: Christmaster sold out pretty quickly and got a standard after that.
Speaker 3: I believe I believe the.
Speaker 4: Beastmaster has a limited edition. Oh wait, hold on, Oh okay, I'm sorry, the box sold out, but the slipcover is still there.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I believe all the ones that are under forty dollars have sold out when we look at the prices here. So Cloak and Dagger, Roadhouse, Showgirls, Beast Master, Southern Comfort, I believe are all the ones that have sold out the limited titles, which is great and honestly, this line itself probably pays for like most of the acquisitions for the year for Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 4: Literally, Okay, Beast Cloak, road Showgirls, and Southern Combers sold out. Okay, yeah, but that what you just said I think is important because they they do need to have movies like the keep that just fund the ability to put out bloodshacks, right, So I don't I don't mind that they're doing this. And other than Congo, which I mean, Congo's fine, it's cute, but it's not necessarily anything like amazing about it. Other than that this line, all these movies are at least fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only one that Okay, let's let's completely completely break it down here for a minute. Six Strings Samurai is a wild choice for a BSU. That's I'm not saying it's a bad movie, even though it kind of is. I think it sticks out like a sore thumb here because it really is the only one that was not like a huge studio title. It was not a title that had a giant fan base like some of these others. It is a really odd choice, and especially to have it be your second one on this line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but even like maybe they were testing here, I'm not going to defend it. I mean, I feel like my guess is they knew they had Roadhouse coming. Yeah, and they put a few titles before Roadhouse because they knew that would be like, would sell like crazy and then get people to look backwards. I can't remember if Cloak and Daggers sold out before Roadhouse did, but maybe it did. I can't remember, but.
Speaker 3: I remember I remember it did pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: I mean people have been excited about But that's the thing. Sixteenth Summer has a big fan base, yeah, and a loud fan base. It's just looking at the rest of the line, it stands out.
Speaker 3: For sure, Sivenar, What does this mean?
Speaker 2: New York Ninja technically got a VSU released, but was a VSP Are you just saying it had the same packaging because it was never a VSU because it's a it's not a four K, it's not a I bet he's.
Speaker 4: Talking about the packaging because it does have that like like magnet.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not technically a VSU. It's just they you just use the same packaging and that's because they went all out with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Speaking of VSP though, let's get into vinegar syndrome pictures. So this is the line they don't define it at the top of the page here, but this is the line where they have at least a hand in the production somehow. So they're putting money into some of these and doing what they can to produce it. Most of these, Vinegar Syndrome will do some sort of theatrical run with it. And this is a wild all over the placeline as well. And so far we only got nine. We've got Censor, New York Ninja, The Scary of sixty First, Sick of Myself, Divinity, Riddle of Fire, Eight Eyes, Black Eyed.
Speaker 3: Susan, and Street Trash.
Speaker 2: Now this is a wild line because there's a couple of titles on here that are pretty great and a bunch of titles that I think are some of the worst titles on the entire label.
Speaker 4: Are you gonna highlight that comment?
Speaker 2: Oh happily, Yeah, only.
Speaker 3: Because I believe I know who this is.
Speaker 2: How are you guys having a VS discussion without the mid level dude, he's apparently an authority of VS. Well, we'll talk about that later off here. So, out of all these titles, did you have a clear favorite on these?
Speaker 4: Sick of Myself is must watch in my opinion. New York Ninja is like super fun. I think it's a very very fun movie.
Speaker 2: It's also like a quintessential. You have to watch. This is what Vinegar Syndrome did to it title.
Speaker 4: Totally and it's super fun. Divinity I seem to like Divinity more than other people. I think Divinity is fucking awesome, especially because the directors it starts off as this, like you're it's just like, is this going to be a porno? Like it starts off with like this crazy kind of like sex beginning and this like and then it turns into this massive epic sci fi battle with like stop motion clay motion, and like it takes it into like a whole like it just it does. It's a very creative movie, Eddie, Eddie something. Can't remember the director's name off the top of my head, but like when that if that guy gets a screenwriter, like he's gonna go wherever he wants to because it's the script's a little bit messy, but like, visually that movie is just amazing.
Speaker 2: I think Divinity is one of two on here I have yet to see, but I love the way you're selling it.
Speaker 4: It's really really good. Keith. That's interesting you talk about Scary of Sixties, So Scary of sixty first is h like like Possession on timomuh, just in the sense that like they took the chaos of Possession and like it's just a very loud movie it's like, uh and very frenetic. I actually liked it too. I'm not selling it well, but like it's like it's it's trying to sort of be possession and it's got an interesting tie into what's the Kubrick movie with Tom Cruise sorry, just blanking and nicocmon.
Speaker 2: Well, and not only a tie in, like they call it as like being in the same universe.
Speaker 3: That's the crazy part.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And they tie it in at some point and they make it's a very political movie. It's good. I am a Scooter McCrae stan Eyes, why said thank you? I'm a scooter McCrae stan So. I think Black Eyed Susan is wonderful.
Speaker 3: I'd say the one to see so good.
Speaker 4: Very dark, like if you all have seen Scooter stuff, like he's willing to go there, and this is another movie where like he goes there. But it's really really interesting topic and he's a little bit of like a street philosopher type, Like he's the kind of guy that if you went like sitting around twenty years old playing video games and like theorizing about life and being like, yeah, what if you took a sex doll, Like could you beat the shit out of the sex doll and like, would that be considered abuse or no? And he's like, wait a minute, that's a movie. And then he goes and makes Black Eyed Susan and he brings in like a bunch of really interesting discussion around, like basically that idea, and then he goes even darker at the end, but he does it in a very intelligent way. I love Schooner mcray and then Street Trash. I seem to like it more than other people. I think it's really fun. It feels like an exploitation movie, honestly, and and I think, well, I mean it's a South African movie, right, so in South Africa, made by South Africans, and I don't know, I think it has a similar vibe. But Ryan Krueger is we're scheduling now hopefully he's going to be a guest on Punk Vacation in the Future NICs. But I honestly, regardless of that fact, I honestly think this movie is super fun.
Speaker 2: So real quick for me, I thought censor was okay, decent. I like the bonus features more than the movie on this one. I think New York Ninja it's quintessential it's pretty good, but it's not.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: It's pretty fun, but it's not a good movie period. The Scary of sixty First is awful. It is god awful, terrible piece of shit filmmaking. It is not worth anybody's time. Sick of Myself is great, genuinely really good. Riddle of Fire genuinely really good. Eight Eyes god awful. Nobody needs to watch this movie. H eight Eyes is atrocious. The movie is nothing. Street Trash one of the worst movies I've seen probably in the last ten years.
Speaker 4: Not even your take is more common. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought it was fun, though they had ideas on how to do a couple special effects and said, let's not tell a story around it, let's just be pure shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: I can't argue with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is This has possibility for some cool things in the future if they lean into stuff like Riddle of Fire and not into like like it's I think it's obviously from a marketing standpoint, it's smart to put money into a Street Trash remake because ooh, all of our fans of Vinegar Syndrome loves Street Trash, They'll love a remake.
Speaker 3: Put it into better movies. This movie is god awful. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think history is going to be more kind to Street Charts.
Speaker 2: That's a sentence I don't think anybody has ever said ever, And even including the original, I like.
Speaker 4: The remake of Funny Games more than the remake of Street Charts. I'll give it that.
Speaker 2: That's an easy bar to go over. The next one, this is how do they explain it here? So VSL is the VS sub label that they are going to be expanding and defying expectations with a diversity of films that they restore and release. As the name implies, VSL, which stands for Vinegar Syndrome Labs, will serve as a kind of testing area for releasing genres and eras of film one might not immediately expect to come from VS. The ultimate objective of VSL will be to see if these types of films will find an audience and if so, pursue and release more of them, and even if not, it still serves as a means of restore or more of the weird, rare and unusual movies you might not expect from VS. So this is a very odd line. Again, They've not put out a ton of stuff. We've got Caruku, Beast of the Amazon, Flesh and Fantasy, The Cat Creeps, Peter Sulkin's Apocalypse, Tetrology, Guesthouse, Paradiso, The Films of Enrique Gomez, Vidio Sex Mission, Five Card Studs, Story of a Junkie, Paganini Interrogation, Bloodline, Neither the Sea nor the Sand, The Terrornauts, The Mansion of Madness, and then, most recently, Peter Greenway's The Belly.
Speaker 3: Of an Architect.
Speaker 2: Now these are interesting because a lot of these are genuinely, really great movies. It seems like they just thought, if we put these back on the Vinegar Syndrome line and subscribers got them, half of the subscribers would hate our guts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what's Sidna? What's your first name? Is it Daniel?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great gun. Say it's true.
Speaker 2: A pack of gom, a single button, several paper clips, and menu for a restaurant that went out of business five years ago. This is VSL The Desk Drawer of Random Things of Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 4: I can't defend the label as a whole. There are some individual titles on this that are are simply phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Literally, yeah, and like and.
Speaker 4: Like shocking that Vinegar Syndrome has it in the sense of like it could be a Criterion release, it could be a Second Sight release, it could be a like Indicator like whatever.
Speaker 2: Or it has been an Indicator release or a Radiance release a couple of these.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, you're on the Shulkan's thing. Like that is just I don't know, unbelievable filmmaking. Like every single movie in that is is better than The Last Ye Guest House. Paroity so is fun if you if you're into that British comedy. It's like really violent and like over the top slapsticky and like uh silly, like very very silly. Gets it's a fun movie if you like that kind of stuff. Some people like the films of Indrique Gomez Vadio. I honestly don't know what the hell they see in it, Like I'm I'm really trying to like find Like there's a there's one called Death on the Beach where it has like they it's just like funny death scenes, but they're not played for comedy, Like they push this person off a cliff and it just looks like this doll like me and like it looks like a comedy but it's not. And when people talk about it, they're like, oh, this guy is so influential blah blah blah blah. I don't get it. But then you have something like sex Mission coming out, which is just unbelievable, and like more, I think, I don't know why more people aren't talking about it. I'm assuming they just haven't seen it. The Story of a Junkie is like a very surprisingly and sweet movie. Yeah, like and you know, Paganini is just batshit crazy, but like in some fun ways, it's Kinski trying to make a biopic if you can imagine, like and like he's fully on whatever he's on for that. Some people liked Interrogation a lot more than I did. I thought it was okay. I don't get the love for Bloodline. I'm gonna be honest with y'all. Sorry, Ryan, Brian, you and I seem to be a different wave length tonight. I'm sorry. I don't get the love for Bloodline. I was really mad at the ending of the movie, but how it ended. I was like, well, this is it, this is how it's ending. And then Tara NATS is like silly, sort of like Saturday morning sci fi that's just nothing. Stakes are never that high. It's kind of charming, specifically in London. In London, and then mention a madness is this really surrealistic, like crazy thing? And I can't wait to see Belly of an Architect.
Speaker 3: I think any.
Speaker 4: Anything that Greenaway does I'll watch. But he's a weird dude, and I'm here for it, Like I like weird. But he did a three hour imagine this, like imagine pitching this. Oh okay, okay, Ryan, Sorry, I thought you were going to defend it. No, I didn't like it, but some people like it. But imagine pitching this movie. He made a movie called The Falls, which is three hours long, and it's a what's the word, like a like a you know if you go on vacation back in the eighties and you would show like a like a you put all your slides together and have like a like a slideshow of the vacation. What it was it's called Was it just a slide show?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, So like it's almost it's almost like that. It's like it's like the series of images that are mostly static, maybe some moving a little bit with a radio style narrator over the top talking about ninety different families that were impacted by a mysterious plague or a mysterious event had something to do with birds. And it's three hours long and it's like played for sort of like dark comedy, but there's no narrative structure. You learn about this event as the movie goes on. But he asked his audience to just sit with him for three hours. It's like, as long as it's taking me to tell this story, must be brutal, brutal, but he does shit like that, Like he's he just just always is like pushing things. So I can't wait to see Belly of an Architect. And Eugenie Otell's a really touching story about this one because he's pretty involved in this release and he actually got to interview his dad and anyways, it's a cool it's a it's a really nice story. So I can't wait to see this one.
Speaker 2: All that to say this to me is a really great line. I think this is actually where some of the better titles are. What's odd to me, though, is that they talk about this as an experimental sort of proving ground for what they could put out, but like at least a third of these feel very much like VS releases already, Like Mansion and Madness would have been just fine on the regular VS line. Story of a junkie fits exactly with a lot of the stuff that they do, or even a VSA. Theoretically, Paganini definitely fits in with the regular VS line. I mean it's Kinsky doing weird Kinsky shit, like, that's exactly vinegar syndrome. Guest House Paradiso. You already did Drop Dead Fred, Why is this on the VSL line. It's a spiritual partner.
Speaker 3: To that film.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's just some odd choices, I understand. The first three that they put out it was like, oh, you're actually doing like classic cinema. This is something that you've never done before. This is interesting. And then they went polish and that one sure very different than what you put out. And then guest House Paradiso was announced, and it's like, wait a minute, this is just another line where it's like, hey, let's just throw shit together. That sometimes makes no sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Keith, Keith Soofferson. Everybody that I've spoken to that has seen that movie, The Sea nor the Sand really liked it. I need to get to it. I was just because I'm moving. It is the only reason I haven't. But everybody that's seen it really likes it. It's apparently like quite quite an excellent movie.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. It's not my favorite from the whole line, but it's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Well you've seen it, think Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to point out to some of these that we didn't get enough attention to the first time, primarily five Card stud This is one of those films that is wild that VINEGARSONRM released it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: That they have a film out with that cast specifically, and it's the first thing and only thing they've done from that genre. Again, The Apocalypse Tetrology is a really really exciting thing that they put out Store or even Junkie though probably one of the most surprising titles from this line. It looks like an odd title, but one that I think most people don't see it will find something.
Speaker 3: To truly enjoy with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very good, all right, And that brings us to the Kapper Vinegar Syndrome Archive. Now, this says the Vinegar Syndrome Archive sublabel celebrates four forgotten cinematic oddities from the video store era. This collection was inspired by our own brick and mortar video stores with locations in Bridgeport, Connecticut, Aurora, Colorado, and Toronto, Ontario. And so they're leaning into the video store thing. But oh man, the titles on this line, there have been quite a few. We're talking everything from crack House to Women on the Run to Lifeline so they call me Macho Woman, to Champagne and Bullets. There's been some rather well known titles in here. And when I say rather well known, I just primarily mean much more known than the.
Speaker 3: Rest of the titles on this line.
Speaker 2: But there's been some titles on here that nobody had ever heard of basically before they were announced. The big thing for these is that they sell out, and there is supposedly no standard editions, although they're starting to do some on the VSMC where you combine them with your points rather than purchasing the film. Again, a lot of their older titles on this line used to be like cheesy action movies or cheesy horror movies, or just straight cheesy movies. But now, as Chris said earlier, we have kind of left from the cheesy action film line to suddenly this is like a lot of Asian films coming.
Speaker 3: And nothing against that.
Speaker 2: I truly enjoy those, but it's been a weird ride for VSA. So how do you, Chris, how do you define VSA it?
Speaker 4: I do quickly want to comment that I think it's funny they talk about the video store era, and then they mentioned the video stores that they've opened up as if they've been around from the eighties, running like Syndrome stores for forty years. A minor nitpick and copywriting. It's fine, no similar, I don't know, Eureka on steroids, I don't know. I think for me, I think what they're trying to do is like the feeling of like walking through the video store shelves and like seeing all these random action titles and Hong Kong movies now and like actually know Martial Arts movies and stuff. I still do feel like they're if you think about their whole catalog like laid out on a shelves, it kind of makes sense, right because you have like the jalal Mary section, right or j Mary or whatever. I don't know how to say his name, I've never heard it said, but like you've got all those like Billy Banks movies, and stuff. Right, you've got the Cynthia roth Rock section and then you're starting to now get into like the Hong Kong section. So like I can kind of see like if they're trying to recreate because it does seem like they go section by section in a way. So that's the best I can wrap my mind around what this line is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, like some of these I understand, you know, remembering like posters from video store days, but like I don't know even just the stuff that we're looking at, like Mind Benders, that was never something that people are clamoring for that you remember seeing on the video store shelves.
Speaker 3: Probably no.
Speaker 4: And this is not to defend it, because Mind Benders is not that great of a movie, but like it's like I do understand. I do think it fits in the description in the sense of like you're walking through a shelf and you see the random movie that like you would have never seen otherwise. It's in like this local video store. It's like a regional thing or like a you know, like you like you have these independent video stores that were curated by people that loves movies, and so you get like that style of thing, right, I don't know I can kind of see it like that.
Speaker 2: I actually really like what Simner says here. He says, my video store is mostly what Cinematograph is putting out, and I would agree with that fully.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I can't. I wasn't in y'all's video stores.
Speaker 3: And VSU I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, See, Adam, I think that's a perfect way to say it, like trash nostalgia. I think that's a nice like.
Speaker 3: The word trash is a nice way to describe it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good though, Like it's trash and like a lot it's like it's stuff that like you're surprised by. You pick it up and you see some movies you don't like and you give Santo Doctor Death a chance, and you're like, you realize that they're trying to make them into like a Bond character, and you're like, what the hell is going on with this? But it's kind of fun.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the thing.
Speaker 2: A lot of these are fun. They it just feels so weird to put them together. Yeah, and it's certainly not what they originally called out with the label The Interesting thing too. We haven't even gone into it, but it has very specific packaging. It's got like VHS style pull off the top packaging, and they all come with a poster. This is the only line that comes with a poster on the inside. It's not a huge poster, and it's a folded poster, but it is one that you know they're trying to lean into that video store feeling of putting a poster in there.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean some of these titles again not great. Some of these titles are airy, nostalgic. I mean, like the Martial Law series. As I come across it, that one makes total sense on what they originally announced this for Action USA less so, but when you watch the movie, it feels like it, and then you look at the House of Usher and it's just not the same.
Speaker 4: The if there was ever, Like, my hope with this line is that they get into like a JCVD situation, or they get into like maybe more Chuck Norris movies or something like. I hope, I hope they eventually can kind of afford those those style of movies because it'd be fun to see all the Cynthia Rothwacks stuff I think sold pretty well, and the Jeel Mary stuff sold pretty well, So I hope they kind of keep going in that direction.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I totally get that. Not my style. I don't want more stuff like Jelel Mary. I do love the Asian stuff they're putting out.
Speaker 4: Though, Yeah they're fun. I mean Action USA.
Speaker 3: In my.
Speaker 4: Very objective list of my top one hundred, I think is in the top five or for sure in the top ten. Like it's one of my favorite movies of all time, genuine incredible. That was the movie, Yeah that got me into Vineger syndrome to begin with, and like Spellcasters fun. I don't know, but oh, hey, what's up, Chris, that's the other Chris. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff here overall, well, not overall, some good, some bad. I have, you know, not been fond of the limited and then it's gone model with this, I know specifically, like a lot of people are talking about Champagne and Bullets today and I'll scroll up just slightly to cover it, but I mean, it's a film that has wings Houser that people want on Blu Ray and they only did like five thousand copies of it, and now you can't get it for less than I don't know, like one hundred and forty dollars eBay or whatever. Why why is that a thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean why would you turn down standard sales? Right? I get it. Champagne Bullets is worth one hundred and forty dollars, though.
Speaker 3: I would disagree there.
Speaker 4: I think it was made for one hundred and forty dollars.
Speaker 3: And that's after leaving a tip.
Speaker 4: It's still fun though. God bless that movie. Man, I love like I don't know the guy made his own theme song, like that movie's fantastic, all.
Speaker 3: Right, my friend?
Speaker 2: That means time to get into like some overall rankings on these labels. So if that's what we're saying, we are ranking these seven line or six lines. What do you have at your number six? Least favorite of the VS sub labels?
Speaker 4: Youngest least amount of titles? Still trying to figure out what they are. De Gauser's number six, No shade on it, but just you know, the strip picks would have been number seven if we had included them. But I think the Gouser's number six for me?
Speaker 3: What about you? My number six?
Speaker 2: Primarily because of the hit rate is VSP right off the line. I think that this has maybe the worst films in the entire VS catalog, primarily street Trash.
Speaker 3: It is that bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was angry that I took ninety minutes to watch Street Trash. I think that they do have some really good ones in this line, but the fact that they've got like four that I wanted to put a fork in my ear after watching they had to be the bottom of mine for sure.
Speaker 4: Vsp's next for me. It's the next one for me, So yeah.
Speaker 2: I did not mean to do that. Okay, So that's perfect. So my number five is the gouser. The big thing here is like they won me over with Cannibal the Musical and Redneck Zombies, but the quality alone is really not.
Speaker 3: Great on this line.
Speaker 2: And if they're gonna do it, I want more of the titles to feel like Cannibal to Musical where they've got all of the extras to really beef up the release to make up for the lack of picture quality that you're able to get out of it. Yeah, next up for you, number four.
Speaker 4: So I want to preface this because when I ranked every movie that Cursau had made, people would get really mad at my number thirteen movie from Curso and it was a five star movie for me. So like, it's just a matter of like filtering things that I like, Right, I want to say everything from here on out I like, and I could defend in almost any position that being said. Number four for me is probably going to be VSU. That's probably the next one for me, simply because of the lows of it, Like there's not that many titles, and even though Roadhouse is in, like, yeah, the Roadhouse would put it up. I don't know, it's just it's random. It seems random to me, and it's number four for me.
Speaker 2: I think we're gonna be pretty aligned here because this is my number four, primarily because I feel I think a lot like similar. I feel like they put a lot more choice on this, literally just for the packaging, and I have fallen way away from the packaging love that a lot of people are. It's they're very nice, but I want packaging like that for titles that I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and not Daryl or fucking Chuck Norris movies.
Speaker 2: I like a couple of these, a lot like Southern Comfort is incredible, genuinely a freaking amazing movie. Showgirls is incredible, but also like the Showgirls release, as much as I love Showgirls has really not great art.
Speaker 3: I kind of wish they did something different with it, but quickly.
Speaker 4: How dare you Chuck Norris saved America from an actual invasion? Just respect?
Speaker 2: I have zero respect for the iceman or the Norris man, whatever we want to call him today. Uh yeah, I don't like Chuck Norris at all.
Speaker 3: Let's go your number three.
Speaker 4: Then, Cinematograph High Highs. Shanks is one of the favorite movies I've discovered in the last three years, five years, I don't know. I love Shanks is amazing. A lot of really really good movies in that line. My personal like I don't spend a lot of time wishing I had seen more dramas from the seventies or like from the eighties, Like that's not something that I like. Like they're finding good stuff, but it's from a genre that I don't otherwise care about, and so cool stuff, and I'm happy I've seen a lot of but it's not like the kind of thing I'm drawn to, so that's the only reason. But like, yeah, it's number three, I still really like it.
Speaker 2: On that note, they do have different things coming, like I believe the one getting announced on April first is their first action title, and they've got I think later in the year they've got a horror double feature coming, which is interesting. But yeah, it's a good pick. I like Cinematograph. My number three is probably gonna be VSA. Actually, I really love a lot of the Asian titles they've been doing over the last a couple I was gonna say months, but it's definitely been like nine or twelve months, not just a couple months. A lot of those are incredible movies. I truly enjoy what they put out, stuff like Frontline, and a lot of them have just won me over. Unfortunately, I was never you know, I just bashed Chuck Norris. I don't like the cheesy action movies. I'm not into Jeel Mary. I'm not into I'm not even to a lot of the Cynthia Rothrock stuff, and it's primary. It's just not nostalgic for me. I wasn't raised on it, so I don't have the love that somebody like you.
Speaker 3: Has for there, Chris.
Speaker 2: I stuff like Action USA was great, and if it was closer to that, I would be into it, but there's a there's a big quality drop from Action USA to jeelal Mary's number one hit. I just I can't bridge that gap in my mind, so that that has to be my number three.
Speaker 4: I'll come back to VSA in just a minute. Number two. This is tough for me because I'm a Gemini. Like I've learned later in life, I'm a Gemini my astrology sign. And the more I learn about that, like it's really my personality. So I have like two sides competing all the time, but one of them is going to be like the art House stuff, And so I'm tempted to put VSL at number one because of like the Shulkan set just alone, like it's tough to get better than that as a collection of movies. But VSL for me, has a lot of like range, like there's a lot of movies I also didn't like, so or there's some movies I also I didn't like, not a lot. So I'm gonna put it in.
Speaker 2: Too interesting choice. I can't wait to hear what you say about VSA. I'll talk about VSL in just a minute. My number two is Cinematograph. I think that they've had some excellent titles. I do like that somebody in the US other than Cape Light is trying media books. I wish she would have tried a little differently than he put the thought does packaging. I love the whole let's do like a custom disc tray for our releases. That's cool at all, and I do think they're higher quality than a lot of them. But I mean the art choices on these have not all been stellar. The films. There's a couple that are lacking, but a lot of them are pretty great. It is a line that's had some pretty good special features. Not something that we highlighted earlier, but Justin definitely has some good choices there. And the big thing they you know, you've got a guaranteed booklet of essays in every single release because it's a media book. And I do like myself some essays, So that is my number two.
Speaker 4: When I have a pretty stressful job. I don't talk about it a lot, but there's a lot of stress and that goes along with it. And when I want to relax, I like a movie that's really in a genre that I like that like Pains by the Numbers, It's just like it knows exactly what it is. And some of the genres that I like are like spaghetti westerns and like you know, Japanese pinkoo movies and stuff like that. But the other some of the other ones I like are like silly eighties and nineties action movies. It's just a very soothing thing for me, and so I will always support something like VSA. I love it like it's a very like a like a chicken soup for the soul kind of thing for me to watch Jael al Mary do like a half hearted roundhouse kick and he's supposed to be some like super sorry, like martial arts guy in Brazil or something. Seems like he bought that title. I'm just gonna say it, like I kind of like it, like Cynthia Rothrock doing a kick at half speed, like I kind of like it. And then they're getting into the like the Asian stuff, which is great. Like they put out Hero right and I'm not crazy, right, yeah, yeah, I mean my father is a hero. I mean sorry, And they put out Love on Delivery. The movie is so charming, so.
Speaker 2: I get it. It's not a bad pick. But that leaves for me number one. I've got VSL left, And so with VSL, my big thing is I am a big fan of variety. A grab bag label is literally perfect for me. We are all over the place, with time that it was created, genres that it was created, countries that it was created in, And I think this line truly has the highest highs and even the lowest of the VSL is not like Tripe, which some of the other lines have some genuine like this movie is just truly terrible.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think the VSL.
Speaker 2: It's got a higher hit rate so far, and I'm totally fine with it being a proving ground, I guess, but also I don't need that. Just put it in the VS line. I'd be all about that. And I know I'm weird. I know a lot of people aren't that same way. And you know, I think it was wave pointed out earlier. A lot of the VS subscribers are literally over the last couple of years complaining about reading subtitles. So some of these titles that would have been in the VS line, They're like, let's put in the VSL so that we get less complaints.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's so much in this line that is just interesting, and I love a lot of the regular VS titles, but I can only do that so much. I have to have variety in what I watch, so even like box sets, I pretty much never can watch a box set start to finish. I gotta put other stuff in between. And the VSL line is really interesting for me for that.
Speaker 4: A hund of percent agree. I think people that can sit down and just watch like seventeen movies in a box set, I don't. Like, I don't know how you do it. I can't. I have to mix it up. I just for me, like they start to blend together and I fall asleep and it takes me a long time and everything. Hey, yeah, I'm curious of Craig. Just one thing you brought up, Like I interestingly enough, the Vinegar Syndrome line really doesn't have a lot of action in it, like it has Sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially Asian over the last couple of years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like it really doesn't have a lot of like cheesy eighties action movies or nineties action movies. Like it's horror. It's a horror line, right. It's like they started off like a porn line and a horror line, and like they got into a little bit of genre film, but they really never did the whole like MVD rewind thing that really wasn't them and still really isn't. But you know, VSA and MVD rewind can compete a lot of times, right.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know the next question that Craig just asked is the Well, let's be honest here. The real reason many of these sub labels exist. You have subscribers. You can't just give them all of the films as part of the subscription for free. So they created a lot of these sub labels just to be able to sell more movies. And yeah, when you're putting out four on the main line in a month and then six sub label films in a month at the same time, yeah, like you just want to make more money.
Speaker 3: And that's okay, nothing.
Speaker 2: Against that, but it's really hard to justify those sub labels when some of those titles literally make perfect sense on the main line.
Speaker 4: I do think if there's a critique of the sub label as like a whole there that I think has come up a lot tonight. They're not super selective with what goes in each sub label, right, And there's a lot of people in this hobby that are pretty ocd about that kind of stuff. And like, I'm not even gonna throw stones because there's times where it hurts my brain trying to figure out what a line is about there are sub labels about and so I do think that's a miss from them a little bit. They're not, They're not. Their curation is not super precise.
Speaker 3: And that's that's the thing.
Speaker 2: You know, there are certain labels, and not just because Craig is here or something, but I'll say, like deaf Crocodile, I know I can trust their curation others because it's been pretty much every single title has been a hit for me, Mona micabre I can trust their curation almost one hundred percent. Vinegar syndrome. That's not that type of label. They're releasing so many things. There's going to be films that you literally hate that they're putting out. There's going to be films that might be one of your favorite discoveries over the last year. Likely you're gonna have some months where you have both of those together, and that is not enough to be able to say that you trust them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's an interesting comment about the getting away with the subscription altogether. Before we go. There's a comment that Ryan made up there about never heard the love for spaghetti westerns explain that way. Thank you for saying something, Ryan, I know we've been in front of me tonight. But yeah, spaghetti westerns are the best. I appreciate you saying it. But the the subscription thing is interesting. I actually do think there's going to be a change in the subscription model. I mean, I don't even think that's necessarily like private information. He was more or less indicating that something would happen right on your discord. I imagine behind the scenes are trying to figure that out too, because like, you know, all honesty, do you think Joe Robin ever thought or Joe Rubin excuse me, ever thought that the archive that he bought would turn into this, like right, Like he's got to be pretty stoked at what this has turned into. And I do like that's kind of cool, like, you know, as a business owner, Like that's a success story, right, Like they just went in and they bought an archive, and they're like, what do we do with this? Like I don't know, Let's make some discs and then they put out porn for a while, and then like then they put out other stuff, and like they've kind of grown into this, so like it's a success story, right, And like I think we're watching them in this transition stage right now, where they're trying to figure out what they're going to be next. So we get into a lot of conversations like we're having now. But that's why I'm still a subscriber, and like that's why I still support them and kind of like them is they're imperfect, but like coming from the startup world, like every CEO of a startup is imperfect, Like that's very common and that's not necessarily the bar to make a successful business. And the people that work at VS, I mean, you can, you don't have to listen to Punk Vacation, but like if you do, you'll hear it. They love movies and that's cool, Like this careers for people that like really love movies.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: So we've covered a lot tonight from from VS. Let's let's end on this. Then it seems clear through what we've heard and through a lot of complaints that they want to change up the subscription. Let's be honest, they're never going to get rid of it. They make far too much in one go to get rid of it. It's the influx and cash they likely need to keep it going at the rate that they're going every year, literally like signing signing these paramount titles that they're doing, takes a lot of money to cover the restoration stuff, to get the actual licensing. Four K licenses are not cheap. They're gonna do that. So in your mind, and I'm sure you've thought about this before, so I am going to put you on the spot, how do you.
Speaker 3: Fix the subscription.
Speaker 2: Other than you know, the obvious of there's a subscription to everything and it costs four thousand dollars instead of one thousand.
Speaker 3: How do you fix the subscription?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with you that the subscription is a big cash influx for them, and for that reason alone, they'll never get rid of it. The thing in business that's a pretty consistent thing across every industry is you have to be very clean. Like if I have any complaint against terror Vision, which I don't really have a lot of complaints because they're amazing, but their subscription model is not totally clean. I think in terms of like, you know, you can buy like this one or this one or this one, and like it doesn't totally like it's you know, or like what's the other one. Radiance is having to figure this out now because they had that mega subscription in the beginning and now they're doing like you can do six months and you can do US or you can do UK, and like they're like, it's just it's difficult, right because we as collectors are working across regions, but that's not how rights work. So it's like they're constantly having to navigated all this. Okay, anyways, So I think everyone's trying to figure out a subscription model that can work because it's just you need that cash to go acquire more titles, and it's like this cyclical thing. I guess, right, So if I were going to fix it, I would probably do like three tiers or something like that. I want to keep it simple. I would say, first of all, you can do a partner label sub and you pick ten a month and you get to you pick the ten you want. And I understand that that's hard on the back end for warehouses and stuff. I get it, but there is I mean, I sell like a lot of logistical software and supply chain software. It's not that hard. Like it's hard, but it's not that hard. Like there's people like Walmart that are selling in each store. They're like one hundred million SKUs or something like, and they you know, like it's not that hard, So you would just need a little bit more sophisticated software or having like two weeks of a consultant to come in and help you organize the supply chain software you have. And no, no, Craig, I get it. I'm just saying, like at the volume that they're selling, there are solutions that don't make sense for somebody selling at a lower volume because now they're a major player, like they's like they're a major they're producing movies now right like they're if they needed to go raise fifty million dollars of funding, they could go do it right and not not every label can kind of like say that, I guess. So anyways, I would do something like three tiers. I would have one that's just a partner label sub and it's a defined amount. You get ten a month or whatever some amount of a month, and then you can you can buy extra if you want to. But most of the time, if they're releasing seventeen to eighteen titles a month, if you can find maybe it's five a month, I mean, if you can find five to eight you really desperately need a month, you're doing pretty well, right. I would do I still think the VS thing needs to be There's an interesting topic that's come up in a lot of different ways here. I think you need to reduce the amount of sub labels you have. I don't think there's any reason to have seven sub labels if you include a strip. I just don't think you need it. I understand the need for VSU. I think you could almost do something different with VSU and make it like a marquee thing where it's like halfway to Black Friday and Black Friday. There's going to be a major title released and you know, you can call it VS if you want to, or you can call it VSU if you want to. But I think if you make it like an event, people will kind of get behind it whatever it's called, and it's going to be this is like this is where we do a studio movie and we're doing it to raise funds, and you know whatever, We're going to sell twelve thousand copies of The Keep and go buy another copy of Blood Trucks. So I think you reduce the amount of sub labels and you then can do the VS main line and it still works. And then I think you just kind of make a commitment to not doing if there is a super tier, I do think you create a super tier, and I think you're going to find a couple hundred people a year that are going to pay four thousand dollars and just get everything, like I do. I do honestly think there are a few. Maybe it's not five hundred, but I do honestly think there's some people that are like, I don't care, just send me the stuff, and like I want to get everything you put out without worrying.
Speaker 3: If it'll sill out. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And if you can find a hundred of them, like, that's great, right, Like, I really do think you could do a super tier and it would.
Speaker 2: Work interesting and then Chris leaves immediately. I yeah, I mean it's it's an interesting idea to think that so many people would sign on in that first week of the year to literally get everything and be able to bankroll that.
Speaker 3: Not sure how.
Speaker 2: Many they would get, but again, if you could get even you know, two hundred people to do that, that is a ton of money right there. So I've been thinking about this for a while. I think there is hope he comes back soon. I think there is one very pecific way to solve this, and it keeps it simple as well. First off, kind of like Chris two tiers. But the big thing is everybody has been sold on the subscription because you're acting like every title that you're getting your subscription is I guess it's just me now the sale price as if it was already fifty percent off MSRP. So my thought is you're literally subscribing at one thousand dollars, which you pay a thousand dollars and you get two thousand dollars worth of MSRP credit to spend however you wish throughout the year. You have a second tier that's two grand or twenty five hundred, but it's worth double that MSRP. And when you run out at the end of the year, you run out simple as that. If you are wanting more, you get the half price discount, just like you always were supposed to. You still get that on the partner labels. And the big thing is, of course, everybody that does this is very happy. You never have to pay for shipping, all the sales, all that stuff, all the shipping is already covered because they're getting their money in the beginning and you get that specific amount and it's literally just like a point system, and maybe he's back there.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 4: I called my shot in LA.
Speaker 2: It was perfect timing, so I don't know if you heard any of that. I called out a credit system. There's two tiers, one thousand dollars and it gets you essentially two thousand dollars worth of MSRP credit through the year. That's my idea. And then there is a second tier. It's either two thousand or twenty five hundred, but it gets you literally double that value in MSRP and you still get half price discounts for everything and free shipping, like that's the obvious way to go. Then you get to make the choice. Do you want to choose from the sub labels? Does the Vinigerson remain line look like crap to you this month? And you only want the VSU they announced, You have the MSRP to make the choice with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a good idea. I think that actually is a really good idea. The other thing is, if they're selling all their stuff at fifty percent off, I'd be curious to know how much they actually sell at what are they twenty percent off or whatever? They twenty five percent whatever? It is like versus fifty percent off, because if you're selling seventy percent of your inventory at fifty percent off, then at some point, like I think, just lower the prices too, and yeah, be honest, yeah, be honest about it, right, I wouldn't. I would like that, And then I think what you're talking about could work great because then you could sell at MSRP if it was twenty nine bucks or twenty seven bucks instead of sixty.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly. Well, this has been fun.
Speaker 2: We always talk about VS in a lot of different ways, but dissecting the lines is not something that we've ever really done.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad we were able to do this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, thanks for having me on. It's no, it's not quite one of your eight hour epics, but it's still we're pushing three hours or no, we're over three hours now, so.
Speaker 3: Over three hours.
Speaker 2: What what is your most engaging social media you'd love people to follow.
Speaker 3: You on.
Speaker 4: Its It's tempting to say Instagram because I get a lot of dopamine if people follow me on Instagram and like in comment and stuff, so like, I'd love that, but I just have this, like I just have this like love for this pet project I'm doing on Reddit, so, like you know, I will never make any money off what I'm doing, so I'm not like selling anything. I just really am like obsessed about talking about movies. And if you if you go to the Instagram, oh it's Punk Vacation podcast. I think it's I think it's Punk Vacation Underscore podcast. That would be if you know, it'd be fine if you followed me and I get, like I said, I get some good dopamine from that, and I get to publish the episodes and stuff. But on Reddit it's our slash personal history of film and I need to keep it updated. I'm about a week or two behind. But yeah, I just post reviews and like I said, never make it any money off of it. But it's just fun for me. I like to engage and talk about it. And people always have such very takes on films. I mean there's people that like Vertigo in this world, which is just crazy to me. Yeah no, but like I love it when I don't try to have hot takes. But it's funny enough that you all give me a lot of shit. Because on they live by film. They've now shout out to Brian right, but they live by film. They gave me shit for having hot takes too, so this is where they I think I just happened to like weird stuff and not like normal stuff.
Speaker 2: To be fair, those are doled out pretty evenly amongst the three of you.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's true. Yeah, that's true. But yeah, I love I like if you want to come and talk to me on Reddit and keep me company, that warms my heart. But Instagram is better for the podcast, so do that too.
Speaker 2: Whatever, excellent. Yeah, just check out Chris stuff, a friend that I've known. Gosh, we're going on almost five years, Chris.
Speaker 4: It's funny and in this world it feels like thirty.
Speaker 3: It does, it truly does.
Speaker 4: Since Yeah, I've been through a divorce, like, we've shed a lot of life together. So yeah, yeah, no, it's been It's obviously your your family, So thank you for doing this.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to have you on all the time and we always have really great discussions. Really appreciate that. Everybody follow Chris. Everybody followed the seventeen podcast he hosts. Check out what he's got coming in the future, and on for my stuff as usual. If you haven't signed up with the Patreon, check out the link in the description below the discorder would love to have you. We're still doing our promotion where if you sign up for a year in advance at at least the twelve dollars level. I've got a pile of stuff here that I'm sending out to people. I've still got some packages from the original glut of everybody that signed up that I've been waiting for better boxes to be able to send stuff in. People been very happy. Come hang out. We'd love to have you. And on that note, I guess we'll see everybody next Thursday, where I guess I can say now. And a reminder to Craig. Craig is our guest next week, so come hang out. Thanks everybody and be safe. We'll see you next week. Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are a subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Tell me no.
Speaker 6: If you're looking for more horror outside of the mainstream, look no further than Unsung Horror, a podcast about underseen horror movies.
Speaker 7: I'm Lance and I'm Erica. Every other week, we'll cover a horror movie with fewer than one thousand views on Letterboxed. We'll even give you double feature recommendations to pair with the movies we discuss.
Speaker 6: From gothic to shot on video, from slashers to comedies, from Giallo to jay horror, we'll cover all the subgenres. So join us as we unearth these hidden gems of horror.
Speaker 7: Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. All at Unsung Horrors available wherever you listen to podcasts and part of the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network. Please select the link in the description.