Speaker 1: The Force will be with you always.
Speaker 2: Hello. Let's welcome back to another episode of Star Wars Alliance your home on Geek Ultimate Alliance Podcast Network, and I'll thanks Star Wars. I'm your host as always, Katie, and with me as per usual. It's Clay. Clay. How are you doing today?
Speaker 3: I am actually doing pretty good. I see a very long night in my future and probably not sleeping, so I have to first edit this. I'm gonna edit this, oh yeah yeah, But immediately after I have to do something for Volume Comics that I have been kind of procrastinating on and I want to get it done before the weekend. I want to get it done before the weekend because this Saturday, I'm gonna be at Chicago Comic Con, so I don't have any time to really do anything on the weekend, and I asked off for both Saturday and Sunday. Sunday, I am literally just like staying in bed, like I am. I know I'm gonna do a lot of walking on Saturday, so I'm just gonna be like, hey, I'm just gonna be in bed. I'm not gonna do anything. Probably look at my phone every once in a while, so in order to kind of prep for Chicago. I want to get as much done as I possibly can. So I have one project that I need to do immediately after I finish editing this episode, and then after I'm done with that, I have to prep our kitchen for more maintenance people to come into the kitchen again. Because Abby is still seeing water underneath the sink that is not coming from our pipe. So I don't know, your whole kitchen torn apart. I don't know, and it's scary. So I have to prep the kitchen, clean out the sink, uh, you know, do everything that I can to make it all nice and actually like manageable for a maintenance guy to come in and like look at it. So I have to do all of that, and then guys, remember the morning, and then I have to go at three am in the morning, exactly. I am somebody with ADHD. Let me just let me like this is so disgusting and embarrassing. I'm just going to quick photo. This is right next to me. There's just bottles and bottles of bottles and cans and bottles and bottles and bottles. That's kind of all over the house. But there's it's it's in stations. So Abby's like, that's claystation one, station two, and it's finally gotten to a point where Abby's like clean it now, and I'm like, got it. So I'm doing that tonight as well. So I'm doing all of that, and then if I attempt to go to sleep after that, I'm sleeping through every single alarm. So I'm just going to stay up, take a shower. Thankfully, the coworker that I stream after at work, he is not coming in tonight, so I'm going to go in early.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so you're gonna start yes, so hopefully you could get off a little earlier.
Speaker 3: Yes, But also if I wanted to stay because I asked off on Saturday, I can still get my hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna be zoom zoom zoom, zoom, zoom zoom zoom. Yeah. So I have been drinking a lot of water. Yes, I have been drinking a lot of water. But also I think it was actually Brent who reminded me that these are a thing we've been talking about, like what the release schedule of Daredevil would be like, Uh, they just released it like literally a couple hours before it was releasing yesterday. So we were like, oh, crap, is it all gonna drop it once? What's gonna happen? Blah blah blah, And Britt was like, well, if two or three episodes drop it once, I guess I'm just gonna take caffeine pills. And I'm like, I have caffeine pills. I forgot I have these. I could just use those instead of like going out for soda and energy drinks and all this other stuff. And I can still drink water, so I might be like just packing that into my backpack for work from now on if I have need to do this again. But I'm not gonna make it a habit, because I did at one point make it a habit when we were watching stuff at like two am for Star Wars Alliance and stuff, and uh, those were crazy days and the only reason why I was doing it because of course Amberlin was an infant and I was already needed this stay up for her anyway. So yeah, it's it's it's today, today, today, slash tomorrow is gonna be a little crazy, and I.
Speaker 2: Just felt trauma life update.
Speaker 3: I know, I know that I'm just going to crash when I get home, which is going to be for the best. So I think the last time I did and ready to go for Saturday. Yeah, the the literal last time I did this, I came home and I literally slept for like five hours. So yeah, that that's that's how that's how my day is going to be going and how it is going. But guys, this is not just a therapeutic podcast. This is a Star Wars podcast. And we kind of looked and scoured through some stuff. There's not really any news out there in big updates. There was one new I think short TV spot somewhere for Mandalorian gro whu. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I haven't been watching those, mainly because I'm not really present on social media anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Plus I'm kind of done with the trailers. Yeah, like another big one comes out.
Speaker 3: Unless there's a really big one, then I will go ahead and watch it. Otherwise, I think I'm done with it also, and I'm kind of just wanted to be surprised in the theater. One thing I will say though, that I did not know was a thing until I was looking for news for today. Apparently there is a contest for the Mandalorian Grogu premiere.
Speaker 2: Yes, I saw that for Disney Plus perks.
Speaker 3: Yes, for Disney Plus perks Disney Plus subscribers, excuse me. You can submit an entry once per day all the way up until April sixteenth. And I was like, yeah, I don't know how like long this has been going on already, so I'm probably like way behind if I even.
Speaker 2: I think for those you still have to pay for, like your flight and stuff.
Speaker 3: This one actually says that everything is included. Oh okay, then I might which is really which really surprising for Disney to do. Yeah, and I can double check it was Star Wars News Net that did it. Yeah, right here, So the premiere it says right here, the trip in cludes hotel, airfoil round trip transport to the hotel, any one hundred dollars cash or cash equivalent. So I'm assuming that the one hundred dollars cash would probably be for food, your your per diem basically. Yeah. So I think that's pretty cool that they're willing to do that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I might have on it just for kicks and giggles and see what happens. So the other bigger piece of news that I would say is the the AI. The open AI generator guy a guy the ai Open Ai.
Speaker 3: Yes, open ai is a.
Speaker 2: Video generator tool. Sora is shutting down, and with that, Disney has completely dropped out of their contract to out of produce AI things.
Speaker 3: Out of their contract with open Ai. Apparently, they did come out with a statement saying that they will look for other means of AI that respect the content and the creators behind it. That's kind of an oxymoron, but I'm not entirely sure how that's gonna work.
Speaker 2: You know, well because looking at the Moana live action trailer, that thing looks AI as crap.
Speaker 3: Just saying.
Speaker 2: We'll leave it at that, but we're super happy by the zews. Less AI is good AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no, I think this is this is a huge win. It has been I think since December that we have just been seeing loss after loss after loss after loss on open ais front. And I hope it's just like the beginning. Yeah, because we have seen that even in small towns, like people who actually fight for their town are getting data centers completely canceled, which I think is really really cool. And like.
Speaker 2: What yeah, like my biggest issue with it is in this generation, uh like creative generation, I have to use it for work now, so I.
Speaker 3: So this is something that me as like I've had a moral dilemma recently for myself. I now own a business and I am wanting to create a website and an app. AI used in a proper sense for technoya and building. I have now since learned asking somebody to build a website or an app without using AI is like.
Speaker 2: Basically non existent right.
Speaker 3: Now, basically non existent currently right now, I've had a lot of people laugh at me, a lot of people say hey, good luck. And it has been a huge like learning experience of saying, hey, as long as AI is not touching the content of which I am actually putting on my website, that is okay. I have always, since starting this business, have had the idea of no AI is AI excuse me, and with the idea of somebody bigger doing the same kind of concept that I am doing, but openly saying hey, we're using AI for everything. It immediately like grinded my gears. I'm like, okay, this is gonna motivate me anymore, Like even more, I'm not gonna use AI for anything. And like I said, it's been a huge struggle for people in tech to like not embrace that. It makes things so much easier. Coding is a lot easier. I've I've learned a little bit of how like the coding is actually like you're able to use AI as like an assistant for like copying the code and like everything else and like doing all of this other stuff. So I'm learning a little bit. I can never do it myself, but I'm learning because of the experience of me trying to get around it for this specific use. When it comes to the content, Like we said, one of the big reasons, one of the big reasons why Disney is stepping away is because for the past like two months, there has been AI slop video after AI slop video of Star Wars characters, of Marvel characters, and overall Disney characters all over the internet right now. And they've thrown cease and desist letters and everything else, but people still create them. People still go out of their way because you know, the internet is free. And so by taking all of that and saying hey, you can no longer use our ips and rescinding that one billion dollar contract that's gonna hurt open AI a ton.
Speaker 2: It makes me super happy about the content creation stuff. Let's be clear, I don't want to get fired for said AI related Yeah I think that about.
Speaker 3: Covers, Yeah, I think so. And that does bring us to our main topic, which is Star Wars hyperspace stories. Grievous is our main topic of the day. The last time we talked about one of these was uh correct. And I'm gonna go ahead and start with my one qualm of this story. In Qui gon Jin, there was like three separate stories that connected the over arching story. I was anticipating that in this book. I was anticipating because it says hyperspace stories plural. I was expecting there to be multiple stories, like an anthology for Grievous, that would connect to a grander story. This is just one story. The story is good. That story is good. It like it doesn't necessarily bridge a huge gap in anything Clone Wars related. Honestly, like if you watch all of Clone Wars in Attack of the Clones, you're not thinking like, oh man, how did this happen? And like this fixes it. This is literally just a sidestep into the wars that you know tells a little bit of a story on Grievous and how he hunts quote unquote his Jedi.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I felt like the story kind of takes place early on in the Clone Wars where Grievous has kind of been heard of, and I wanted that aspect of it. I wanted this to be an introduction to Grievous as a character, and it's not quite there. I feel like it maybe was originally and then they were told, yeah, no, you can't do that, and then so they had to move it along because at one point the Jedi Master involved in the story says, oh, I've I've heard of you, but then he himself General Grievous and he got the Jedi Master goes, uh, oh, so you got a promotion.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that one was a little weird. That back and forth was a little weird. I did clock that this is.
Speaker 2: Master Bardiff. Shoot, dang it, go back. This comic Guys is written by Well, while Clay finds that it's written by Michael Mareki, illustrated by Chow Felipe I totally butchered that colored by Dan Jackson, lettered by Comic Crafts Tyler Smith and Jimmy Bettencourt, and the cover art is by Michael.
Speaker 3: Cho Cardiff Bay.
Speaker 2: Cardiff Bee, Cardiff I think, is it Bake Hardiff? Oh no, it is Cardiff By You're right.
Speaker 3: Okay, because he said because he said general Bay, so I'm assuming that is his last name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got called Cardiff by Kenobi at one point and I got confused.
Speaker 3: But I really enjoy the art. I think, like when you really look at it, I think the art really is appealing towards grievous. Yeah, and his stature in the book is menacing, like he is claimed to be a beast in this book, which I really do like. And like I said earlier, he hunts his Jedi. He really does feel like like a Craven the Hunter or a death stroke. Like he feels like an a Assen in this book, which I really do love. There's a really cool panel in the very beginning where he is kind of in front of the moon. In front of the moon. I love this panel, absolutely gorgeous. And then there's another panel where Bail is kind of looking or Bay not Bail, sorry, Bey is looking into the forest because he has an inkling. He has like a feeling of something and like it goes deeper into the forest and deeper and deeper and deeper, and then you just see the Yellow Eyes of Grievous. That panel also was really really cool. But Katie, the overall story, how did you feel like.
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 3: I know sounds harsh, and again I think every story out there is going to have its fans, and I don't mean it to sound as harsh. But is this a story that was truly needed for both sides of let's say Grievous of course because of course this is a Grievous title, or within the of Course Star Wars Mythos, the Clone Wars timeline.
Speaker 2: I feel like if this so I approached this from two different ways, The story as is, I feel like needs more characterization for Grievous, because this feels like we're kind of getting a protagonist's view into Grievous instead of a story from the antagonist point of view, Whereas I felt like the Qui gon Chin story handled it a little bit better in regards to Okay, we're having multiple people tell this story, but we're approaching it in the right way by still getting that characterization of Qui kN Jit. So, as is, the story needed more characterization. If this had been an introduction to like Grievous's first introduction to the galaxy as a whole. I would have said this was a perfect story, but it's not. So those are my two like bigger critiques is there's not enough characterizational Grievous for what the story is. This would have been a better story if it was an introduction, if it was Grievous's introduction to the galaxy.
Speaker 3: And this is, like I said, it's a quick read. I want to say, like not counting it page for page, this feels like maybe a fifty five sixty page book. It might be a little bigger, and you can on Wikipedia, all right, there you go. I knew it was less than one hundred this story. I want to ask, do you think we will ever get a before Android book on Grievous? Like, uh, will we ever get the story of how he is created?
Speaker 2: At this point? I don't think so. No, if this was not that story to tell who Grievous was. Okay, I don't picture expanding his story really because his story that we know of is super short. Yes, so maybe maybe like a cameo kind of how like we've gotten like a Beers cameo in the Republic, you could maybe say that. I don't think otherwise.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can see that, yeah, because like even in the beginning when you have Dooku, he kind of explains a little bit like, oh, previously you were this, like like he kind of hints at that story, but we are here, you know. Yeah, I I think you're right. I think that if honestly, if they were going to put that story out there, it would have been around the freaking twenty fifth anniversary of the character's death, you know. Yeah, of episode three. What did you think about the character of Cardiff this uh seemingly air against Jedi possibly, like the way he even explains himself is like he is kind of like an anakinesque character with kind of big head, kind of show off the you know type of character. What did you think of him? Overall?
Speaker 2: I enjoyed his character a lot because it was it was super intriguing to see how he approached his faith as a concept versus like how Obi Wan and Anakin really approach the Jedi order. I feel like is he kind of it felt like a more Christianity take, if that makes sense, because it was very much like a like believe like the best in people like I don't always see but I'm gonna believe still like I have faith.
Speaker 3: The conversation between him and the Clone, I can't remember the clone's name off the top of my head. I thought that was a really interesting It's Max, by the way, Max. Okay, yeah, between Cardiff and Max. I really really liked that conversation. But it was too short. It was too little. It was too little of a moment because you you feel like that's gonna linger right the idea of faith because at the end, at the end, when they're you know, fighting Grievous, they're trying to get off the planet and also kind of to let people know what this thing is. Cardiff and his team are off to a planet in wild space that they don't really know a whole lot about. They haven't really been in contact with this planet. The Republic hasn't in like a millennia, so like it's really weird that they're kind of, you know, reaching out, so they're gonna have Cardiff and his team go check it out. Of course, we find out that Grievous is there, and Grievous is literally there just to get Cardiff and his team away from the war within itself. So near the end, when it's starting to like get to the peak and like getting ready to resolve. You would think that the idea of faith would really come back and hit home, but it's kind of stale, Like the idea of faith doesn't really hit as hard as the actual conversation does when the conversation happens with Max and the the reason why, I think is because Max, because technically these clones are children. They don't have a lot of concept of life, which is also something that a lot of people need to think about when they're having these topic conversations in comics and everything else. He asks, like, you said something about faith, but like what does that mean? And it's really funny because that's exactly what like a child would say, and he explains it. He's like, oh, well, faith is this you know, I have faith in the Force, and I know that the Force is this all, you know, all encompassing thing that is with me and you, and you know, no matter what happens, I know the Force is always with me. And he's like, oh, well, so the force kind of defines you. He's like, oh see, that's totally something different, yea. And he starts to talk about like, oh, you guys were bred to be warriors and you kind of have this idea of like, hey, this is what I have to be. Like, I really liked that psychology there.
Speaker 2: It was a super nice dynamic to explore, Like, oh, so you believe in a greater power that has control over all things, so you don't have freedom of choice and it's like, no, you do. Doesn't mean that it's not going to know what you're gonna do and stuff, but like you believe in the forest. Therefore you have freedom of choice because you're picking what you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically, I always I've.
Speaker 2: Always struggled with that concept myself. So this different perspective.
Speaker 3: And it does really well with this concept of the clones because we know that there are clones that are a deserters eventually, so those clones have their free will and are able to live their lives. Excuse me. So I really like all of that. I just think that it didn't quite hit home at the TSUE when I do feel like it should have, because there is this moment with Cardiff when he's fighting grievous when he does mention faith again and it's all too quick. It's just boom boom, boom, boom boom. You know. Really love the art. I really like all of the panels of the fight. I think it looks great, but again, I just think it's way too quick to really hit home the key points that the story was trying to hit. I do like because even the moment where he is on his communicator and he is talking to the residents of the planet, he's like, you know, I really hope that you come and you you know, you protect your planet and all this other stuff, and like you feel like they're not gonna come by that sentiment right just by the sentiment. By by the next page, they're already there. So like it again, just a little too short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and especially like I had issues with the planet itself as well, because this is a new planet, I believe, and they're very like harmonious, very one with nature, like give and take kind of thing. We have our boundaries from the giant dinosaur creatures, which were kind of cool on the planet, Like they have one side of the planet, we have the other basically, and they're like, oh no, there's no droids here. But then you have like a hollow communicator in a way to communicate, like if you're not gonna have a droid, but you have everything else. Yeah, that.
Speaker 3: Was a little weird. It's there. I feel like there was, you know, definitely some plot holes, because like the big thing is that Cardiff finds General Grievous's foot print yep, and he's like, hmm, I think that's a droid and then he like talks to the resident or whatever and she's like, oh, no droids, never, no droids, no.
Speaker 2: No, no.
Speaker 3: And it does sound weird, right, It sounds weird to be so against it when you have the technology of everything else. Right Again, it might be an idea of like, oh, they're too far away from the core systems and so like maybe they can only have so much, you know, things like that, but like maybe it's just the way that we're it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it felt like they had kind of taken maybe the path of the open hand and kind of ran with it in a slightly different direction. I also thought, and I think this would have been a cooler plot to the story. I thought that they were called, like the Jedi get called because Grievous has a blue lightsaber, oh, because.
Speaker 3: They thought, oh it's it's.
Speaker 2: Instead of Grievous saying like, hey call them, like I thought it would have been, oh, like, clean up your mess because your Jedi came here and is destroying everything.
Speaker 3: I thought, I think that would have been a little bit more of an interesting story, because again you have this idea of if this is truly early in Grievous's days, nobody knows who this person is, right yep, So I think that would have been a really nice play on it. I did get a little bit of a chuckle for the fact that this planet does look like Earth a whole lot. Yeah, I was like, did they do that on purpose? Like do you could have literally chosen any colors for this planet? This is literally Star Wars. You could color anything, and you decide to color it green and green and blue. They're like the people here like when when you first see like a settlement, like you do see nothing but like tense. You don't see any like industrial buildings.
Speaker 2: And I think that's because the dinosaur ran them out. So they're like they have moved their homes and are intent because of the dinosaur. I don't know what the dinosaur is actually called, guys, uh uh.
Speaker 3: They don't actually give them a name in the entire book.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's what I was seeing too, Like I think even yeah, it's just called big creatures at the back of the book, and Greets is creature in the drawing such the back of the book. So uh, the dinosaur like creatures, I think they ran them out of the village basically.
Speaker 3: Makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, I I I think that like, even even though we have the critiques, there was like a good story in there.
Speaker 3: Great art. I think that the great the the art is great. There was even like a small little like there there's there's humor in this book also. I think everybody needs a little bit of humor, like with the Clones at the very end, like please tell me this thing flies uh.
Speaker 2: And Cardiff saying like, you know, they used to call me arrogant, and then anaking came along.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, yeah, exactly. So yeah, I think this is a good story. I really really do. I think it just kind of stepped on its own toes with being a little too short. If this was I would say, twenty more pages make it an even you know, one hundred. Yeah, I think that you could have easily done, you know, maybe a small little flashback here or there for Grievous to kind of get some of those characterizations a little bit more information on him because he still is an ominous character, and even more of of Cardiff. You could have some of those splashbacks be with him as well, to get a little bit more characterization with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this. I think dark Horse and Marvel has fallen prey to the shrink flation because I feel like these graphic novels used to be one hundred and eight pages and now they're about twenty pages short, which is about five or which is from five issues to four issues basically now.
Speaker 3: One thing that I never really put into thoughts, and I don't think it should be that big of a deal because again, I've been out of the comics game for about a year now, but I am curious if the tariffs have anything to do with the size of comics nowadays. Now, I would say that. But one thing that I have been seeing a lot of complaints on is apparently with Marvel books, every other page now is an AD. And it's okay, it's getting like really really bad with Marvel. Apparently, like out of like twenty four pages, you have thirteen of them being ads, so you're only getting twelve, if not eleven pages of story, which is insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get to talk about that next week with a legacy of Darth Vader right of Kylo written.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that's true. That's true. But yeah, I think that is it for the review on Hyperspace Stories, Grievous. Do you have any last thoughts or anything.
Speaker 2: No, I think I'm good. I think it's a decent book. If you're a Grievous fan, I would say pick this up. Otherwise, maybe if you're a Clone War fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if anything, I think this does add a little bit of course of lore on you know, more Jedi out there. This gives you know, writers out there for future stories of future actual novels, like hey, we have an extra toy in the sandbox, you know, so you know, I think it would be kind of fun to see Cardiff in other places, Like I would like to see, you know, how well does Cardiff and Ana can play together, you know, if they are both the arrogant types, the big headed types. I would like to see how they work together. But I think that would be cool. But yeah, guys, you know where to find me anywhere on social media, mostly Instagram. These days, Abby is teaching me how to be more like a business owner with Volume Comics Instagram account, so you'll probably see more of that around. But if you want to follow me, you can follow me on Instagram at Fanboy Clay and Katie. What about you, y'all?
Speaker 2: You can follow me on most social media platforms. It's at Place Katie the show like it says below. You can find us on Blue Sky and Instagram. It's at Star Wars Alliance without the A and the war is very important for get it. You can also put that username in front of at gmail dot com and choose an email. Uh just remember, give us some way to reference you on the show. Poor. So with that, I want to wish everyone a great day, Ordnate, whatever time of day you are listening or watching, and we will see yall next time and forced to be with you