Speaker 1: And New Yorker, Texic. I'm around.
Speaker 2: This is the seventy seven WABC Mini cast.
Speaker 3: Our. Next guest is Scott Atlas, who is a longtime friend. He's one of the smartest guys I know on health policy. He was an amazing help to Donald Trump during COVID. He was brought in to take on the faucis of the world and give the American people the truth about what was really happening with COVID.
Speaker 1: I think you were a.
Speaker 3: Special advisor to the President on the COVID task for Scott.
Speaker 2: That's right, Steve. Nice to be here.
Speaker 3: So what time when did you start, because all the craziness started in jan you know, February and March and April of twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: When did you start?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was. I was asked to come in right at the end of July twenty twenty, first of August twenty twenty as an advisor to the President and they asked me to be as part of the task force as well.
Speaker 3: So, as you know and all our listeners know, Anthony Fauci has now revealed himself as a great scoundrel and someone who lied to the American people. And Scott, you were a national treasurer because you were taking on Fauci. First of all, let's just get to the very start of this. You know, I was against. I was one of the more vocal people against lockdowns from the very start. And by the way, I would have been against lockdowns even if they had worked, because I'm a pretty libertarian guy.
Speaker 1: But they didn't work, did they No.
Speaker 2: They didn't. And the data was in, and this was something that I emphasized for months before I was in the White House. From March onward, a few of us were writing about this in the national media, that the data was in, that the infection fatality rate a number of people who died divided by the number of people infected was maybe one fiftieth to one one hundreds of what the WHO and others were saying because they weren't counting all the asymptomatic people. The second part was that this was really highly.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: What does that mean to be Let's keep this very simple, what does that mean to be asymptomatic?
Speaker 2: Sure, so, like most viral respiratory infections, particularly this one and things like the flu, at least half the people have no symptoms. They don't even know they're insane.
Speaker 1: They didn't even know they had mild, right.
Speaker 2: It's very, very mild. And then there's another group that has no symptoms. They have minimal symptoms, but not enough to go into the doctor. So they have a coffer, they have a fever, they they feel lousy like we all do with the flu. And so those people weren't counted. The WHO and people on networks, et cetera were amplifying that the infection fatality rate, the percent of people who actually died of those who were infected, they were only counting on the bottom of that fraction that people who were sick enough to go see a doctor. But they were ignoring all the others.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing that annoys me and angers me, and I think our listeners as well, that it's almost as if Scott and you know, talking to Scott Alis, who was one of the top health officials in our country, it's almost like they were trying to scare the hell out of us.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, this was a that's a question they have to think about because we know it was true. I saw that in the task Force. I relate this in my book A Plague upon our House actually had one episode in the Task Force. This is in August twenty twenty, where Fauci at the table in the room said the problem is people aren't afraid enough. And I leaned over because I thought, oh wow, I'm I mean, I can't believe these I said, can you repeat that? And he said, yes, the problem is people are not afraid enough, so they're not listening. And you know, in my view, as I and I said it to myself, that's a sort of unethical way to use public health leadership to make people afraid so they listened to you. Of course, but.
Speaker 3: Isn't that sort of the opposite of what you should do? In other words, you want it seems to me you would want to calm people down. You want people to be protected, you want them to take it seriously. But I thought the protocol was not to scare the hell out of people.
Speaker 2: That's right, and and and that kind of fear makes people behave irrationally, and that's probably another reason why some of the irrational things were said on TV and in the media. I mean, you have to question if early on when they wanted to shut the economy down FORLIC, I think there was probably political overtones. As you remember it was an election season, but that quickly changed into people being re irrational in what they were saying. And we knew fifteen years earlier the pandemic management literature very clearly said lockdowns do not work to contain the spread in a viral respiratory infection, and they're enormously destructive. They're very harmful. And that's what unfolded.
Speaker 3: So if you go back, you know through history, we had pandemics, we had the very famous what flu epidemic?
Speaker 1: What was that in nineteen seventeen.
Speaker 3: I think it was where a lot of people died from that, and so were we I'm trying to figure out why it is that the medical establishment went so haywire crazy about keeping In other words, why couldn't they just tell people the truth and say, look, you know you're if you're old, you know, over the age of sixty five or seventy, you want to be very careful. If you have respiratory issues, you probably got to be very careful. If you have heart issues, be careful. But children, I mean, why the hell did we shut down the schools?
Speaker 2: Well, this is really one of the really complicated answers to come up with, because you know, thank God, frankly, this respiratory illness spared children, spared healthy young people. This was a blessing. And therefore that kind of information was critical to understand that all you were doing by locking down and isolating children and young people, you were harming them. You were hurting them instead and also wasting resources by the way, instead of focusing the protection on the high risk people. And I just want to be clear with the listeners here it wasn't learned in later October, in later twenty twenty or twenty twenty one or twenty twenty two, in retrospect, no, we knew the data in the spring of twenty twenty the children. Isolating these kids and closing schools was enormously harmful, destructive, not just learning losses. But by then spring of twenty twenty, the schools were closed by that information we knew in the CDC even published the enormous arms including these young people. One in four college aged kids were contemplating suicide from the isolation, not the virus from the isolation.
Speaker 3: So you know, I'm not a health expert, you are, but one of the things that seem crazy to me, Like we lived across the street literally across the street from a national park, and they shut the National park dout, which seemed to be like the two things that are really important to your health is fresh heir and exercise, and you know we and yeah, so they literally the entire park, you know, which is you know, miles Long was shut down.
Speaker 2: Why Steve, You may remember they were locking the playgrounds in Manhattan, preventing kids from being outside. They were literally telling you to stay indoors. That was the prescription by Fauci and Deborah Berks, who was the head of the medical side of the task force, telling all the local health officials what to do. And so when you got telling people stay inside and which is where the which is by the way, not just isolating people, but that's where the infection spreads.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: What they did in our area, it just infuriated me was that they would, for example, the skateboards parks, they spread the skateboards parks with sand. So these kids were, you know, to keep them from playing. Well, they didn't stop, it's just they got injured because the dumb government was telling them. It was basically trying to discourage them from Also, I mean, we used to go out and play tennis, you know, because we love to play tennis. We wanted to get outside, and they kept taking the nuts down, and then we'd find another core, you know, and then.
Speaker 1: They take those nuts down, and they would do everything.
Speaker 2: They really really irrational. You may remember the famous story of the the coast Guard being told to go out and with and arrest a guy on a sail boat close to San Diego, miles from shore. They put him under arrest for being out there.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, So I'm telling you to Scott Outlass, Scott, can I hold you over for another segment because there's a bunch more I'd like to ask you about. Okay, folks, were gonna take a quick break. This is the More Money Show, and we're talking about the seriousness of what happened, the mistakes that were made, so it can never happen again, never ever happen again, that the government shuts down our great economy. And by the way, Donald Trump did not want to shut down the economy. He wanted to get it open, but the medical establishment basically told him that he should do just the opposite. So we'll be right back, folks, with Scott Atlas.
Speaker 2: It's more money.
Speaker 1: We're leading economist Steve Moore. Now here's your host, Steve Moore. Welcome back, folks. This is the More Money Show.
Speaker 3: I am continuing my conversation Scott Alice, which I normally don't do two segments, but this has been fascinating. And Scott Alice, as you all know, was one of the heroes, one of the few heroes of the COVID catastrophe and the way our government lied to the American people. So I just wrote a column Scott about lessons learned, and I wanted to just go over some of these and tell me if you agree or disagree. One lesson I said we should learn is beware when they taught us follow the science because they don't oftentimes have the right science.
Speaker 2: Well one hundred percent. And you know the reality of that statement was to stop people from making the debate, the challenge, the questions to what was being said. And this is never neither a productive nor acceptable in a free society.
Speaker 3: The second I agree, so I'll go out of the second one. The media was complicit in this whole experience.
Speaker 2: They were really poisonous in sort of timidation, in propaganda. It was an effective use of propaganda. By the way, but also it was a mode of censorship to demonize and vilify any dissenting voice that was done by the media. It wasn't just propping up in this bizarre Kofka esque logic Fauci, who was saying things and those prescriptions were harming people. They were somehow he's a hero. But secondly, they were demonizing any descent. And when you demonize descent, you're delegitimizing any opposing view and pretending to the public. You're lying to the public. Therefore saying, oh, there's a consensus that all the experts say this, because they were shutting down the opposite, right, How could.
Speaker 3: There not be a consensus when you weren't allowed to dispute it.
Speaker 1: Great point.
Speaker 3: The third point I make is that I believe there are other people besides Fauci who should be brought in front of Rampaul's committee.
Speaker 1: One of them is Doris Burks.
Speaker 2: Deborah Burks, exactly Burk. You know, people don't realize Fauci really wasn't in charge of anything, although he was no question the most influential face of the pandemic management because he was on the media so often and because he was propped up by the media. But Deborah Burks was on the task force as the head of the medical side of the task force. So the way it worked was that we would come in tense was the person running the task force meeting, and then the first person to speak was Deborah Burkes, who gave the rundown to everybody else. But Deborah Burks wrote all of the federal policy guidelines to all the governors, to all the state officials, to all the public health officials. Her hands are the ones that pushed the schools, the lockdowns, the stay at home orders, everything that was done, and the inane pseudo analysis of the data which she really didn't understand whatsoever.
Speaker 1: And yet I've seen very very few people in the media. Steven A.
Speaker 3: Smith, who was with ESPN you may have seen he apologized for being wrong on us.
Speaker 1: He has criticized people, you know, for.
Speaker 3: Their actions during COVID, and he manned up and he said, look, I was wrong. But I haven't seen any almost anyone else in the media say we were wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, they won't. And you know, I believe it's sort of a very haunting example of what's called cognitive dissonance, which is you cannot handle you as a person cannot handle saying something that you bought into so strongly, so that it's a self protective mode. That these people were so complicit, they were so hostile, they were so vicious about people who disagreed and not proven wrong. I don't expect I do not expect, frankly, these people to admit they were wrong. So we as thinking people, and there are millions of America who had the courage to stand up to this, to try to protect their kids and their own families, even though they were at risk for losing and they did lose their jobs and their sort of societal acceptance. We have to realize that that's a critical part of this, that this is some validation to these people that they weren't doing this for nothing.
Speaker 3: So last question at our last couple of minutes, Scott Alison, thanks so much for joining. We've learned a lot from you today. The vaccine I was, I believe and you know way more about this are so I'll tell you what I believe and tell me if I'm right or wrong on this.
Speaker 1: I do think that the vaccine.
Speaker 3: Operation warp speed did save lives, especially for people who are vulnerable to you know, uh uh, you know, having a fatal issue with respect to COVID. But I was always against mandating and requiring people to get the vaccine. So what is your overall takeaway from from the from that whole operation Warp speed was the vaccine of active? Should we have done it the way we did it? Because now people are suspicious of vaccines?
Speaker 2: Well, and actually you know rightfully so because when you just they they the people in power, destroyed the trust in all of these things themselves, and that's because they there were a couple of things. Okay, the Operation Work Food was very successful in several ways, one of which was developing very rapidly drugs that actually worked. And here I'm talking about the the immuno globulens, the gamma globulins that were injected and early on when it was very dangerous for older people. Secondly, the vaccines and the everything that was done to get to make everything ready to go and to eliminate the typical many year delay in this. Yes, but what the vaccines didn't do, and this is not something that anyone other than the scientists there would have understood. They didn't test for things that they claimed the vaccines did they ever did any testing to see if it limited spread or if the people who got injected were not carriers of the virus, et cetera, even though they claimed it stopped the spread of the virus, which it didn't. So what it did though in the very early stages, I remember the virus itself changed over time, it mutated to something less virulent, less leaf. But in the beginning, yes, in the nursing home data in the early months of this vaccine availability showed that the nursing home residents as the highest risk group that you could be. There were a dramatic drop in the death rate once the vaccine came, So you know, there are lessons to be learned about the whole thing. But one of the problems that caused the loss of trust was the lack of transparency and the exaggeration or even overt lies about what the data showed about the vaccine. And this is again something we can't forget. Did Its Burks and Deborah Berks and Anthony Fauci who presided over what is frankly the biggest failure in public health history, and their guidance was implemented and it failed. And what we're left with here beyond the damage, beyond everything else, is a destruction of trust in public health.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Scott.
Speaker 3: What really annoys me about this is there were people like you know you and other health professionals who got it right. I was vilified by the way, even from conservative friends at the beginning when I said don't lock down, don't lock down. Even some of the groups like CATO and Student Heritage said lockdown, lockdown because they panic.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I think that we need to be able to learn these lessons of what happened.
Speaker 1: And do you think we will?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm hoping that the point of what rand Paul's investigation is sort of what the answer is, which is number one, this is an example of transparency we usually don't have in government. This is fantastic, very valuable to educate the public about what was done and what the motivations were to do it. And the second part is this is some public accountability because, frankly, Steve, the only deterrent to this happening again is public accountability, and we're finally getting some. Is it enough? A lot of people think no, but it's a start.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you one other question. If I May and we'll just go over a little bit on the segment. But I think that, you know, I was struck by the fact that conservatives, free market people like you and me, we were we wanted to go, you know, on with our lives.
Speaker 1: You know, we were willing to take some of the risks and so on.
Speaker 3: And as it was struck by the fact that my liberal friends were terrified, you know, and I wonder if there's something in the DNA of liberals that they're just afraid.
Speaker 1: And they don't want to take risks or something.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe I'm jumping the conclusions here, but it just struck me that look at the red states all opened up, the blue state state closed down.
Speaker 2: It's striking. And you know, maybe there's a correlation with people who believe that some third party like the government is going to take care of you, and other people who are generally more conservative are more libertarian and say, no, we're independent, we are going to take care of ourselves. By the way, that's what Sweden did. Sweden trusted the people in their country. They did not lock down, they did not close schools, but they did say listen, you know, use your common sense. If you're old and sickly. You probably should avoid crowds, but they didn't lock you up. We have to remember something you said earlier, Steve, which is that this violated all of our so called guaranteed freedoms. This is a country, there's a free country. We can never let this happen again. There's no such thing as a guaranteed freedom. If it can be removed because somebody says, oh, there's an emergency, we're going to remove the freedoms, then it's not.
Speaker 1: Scott, thank you for everything you did.
Speaker 3: You were an amazing force for good in this and you've been totally vindicated. So thank you, my friend, for standing up for our rights and our freedoms. And we are all grateful for what you and only a handful of others did in speaking out against Fauci and Burks.
Speaker 1: Folks, this is the more money show, and we will be right back