Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I would be a stupid person if I did. If I didn't accept a free plane.
Speaker 3: I could be a stupid person to say, oh, no, we don't want a free plane.
Speaker 4: We get freak things that we'll take one too. I thought I would be stupid.
Speaker 1: Would you like your Jeopardy question? Pro Sports teams by Mascot for two hundred Yes, a creature with fire orange fur and a basketball nose named Bernie.
Speaker 4: Wow Basketball Miami Heat.
Speaker 5: Yes, good job, nice work.
Speaker 4: What else is going on? Time for what's happening?
Speaker 1: Well, Winter's coming back, guys, we can't. The Marine Layer is going to provide us with May gray this week in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: It is a dark time. I hope you enjoyed complaining.
Speaker 1: About how hot it was over the weekend, because now the winter is Here's a shame on you. Temps dropping more than twenty degrees today, highs along the beaches hovering in the mid sixties.
Speaker 4: I didn't know if you're doing that on purpose or not.
Speaker 1: The Marine Layer will continue to deep in tonight and then guess what drizzle?
Speaker 2: No, maybe back up towards eighty on Thursday Friday, but looks like we.
Speaker 1: Have to make it through the drizzle first. But we're going to do it together.
Speaker 4: You guys, Are we together?
Speaker 2: The Menindez brothers resentencing is going to begin tomorrow. They've spent about thirty five years, of course behind bars, behind bars for the nineteen eighty nine killings of their parents. They are asking for early release based on the claim that the killings were committed after years of abuse, including alleged sexual abuse by their father. We've run through that story multiple times. Here's this charting tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing. It's not like they're going to go free right away.
Speaker 1: If the judge removes life without the possibility of parole, that means they're up for parole right away. However, the parole board gets to say what the deal is there, and the parole board all insinuations point to the parole board voting them at a higher risk than you would think. Because they have not taken accountability for what they did, who were they to say that they get out, And because they refuse to take accountability that they will do something else.
Speaker 4: And refuse to take accountability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're only early fifties, right, I mean mid fifties. US and Chinese officials have come out and announced this deal to roll back most of the recent tariff increases. There's a ninety day truce that they have agreed to in the trade war that would give both sides more time to talk and resolve the trade disputes that exist. So Trade Representative Jameson Greer said the United States will go from one hundred and forty five percent tariff down to thirty. China agreed to lower its rate down to ten percent. They announced all of this after a couple of days worth of talks in Geneva, Switzerland.
Speaker 1: The subway in London was disrupted by our power outage. That's always scary just because of just the vastness of the underground. This happened with multiple lines suspended or disrupted because of the power outage, at.
Speaker 5: Least three subway lines.
Speaker 1: You wonder about how just easy it is to shut down a swath.
Speaker 5: Did we ever find out what's shut down?
Speaker 4: The oh? The Spanish trains.
Speaker 5: The Spanish trains.
Speaker 4: Now on the national grid.
Speaker 2: Their utility there said there was a fault on a transmission network in central London, but that it was resolved within seconds. The Transport for London spokesperson said the power cut in South London only lasted for a couple of minutes, but there were some stations in central London that were completely closed down.
Speaker 1: Michael Jordan will join NBC's coverage as a special contributor for the NBA that announced.
Speaker 5: I'm surprised by this, he of course.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't need to give you Michael Jordan's resume for crying out loud.
Speaker 5: I love that they put that in there.
Speaker 2: I heard a question over the weekend about it was Michael Jordan and his relation to the Chicago Bulls. Is there any other basketball player that is more closely represented with his individual team an individual team, because Jordan played for the Wizards later, but is there somebody? And the guy it was was a sports talk show up in the Bay Area.
Speaker 5: Jordan played in Charlotte too, didn't.
Speaker 4: Hey, he owned part of Charlotte.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 2: But they were talking about Steph Curry being known as the face of the Golden State Warriors. Yeah, and the only other people that I could think of would have been Larry Bird as the face of the Boston Celtics at least, I mean eighties and nineties and Magic Johnson for the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even that causes people to throw things at the radio. Just who on those team those teams? Will Bird was there and while well Magic was there, who should get top billing and all of that?
Speaker 4: And both of those teams now have other players.
Speaker 1: Michael Jordan transcends any star on any team ever.
Speaker 2: Well, and that was that was I thought could be a better question is outside of basketball, like other sports, which individual athlete represents their team?
Speaker 4: When you say the Yankees, who do you fink?
Speaker 5: I mean, Jordan kind of gets all of basketball.
Speaker 4: He wins, Yeah, he kind of wins.
Speaker 1: The all right, coming up, we've got your chance at one thousand dollars. Also, Pope Leo News, he did a mass for the media, kind of made fun of them. Also, he's into a particular sport. And there happens to be a secret field, nott Field Court, a super secret score venue, secret court for this at the Vatican.
Speaker 6: Okay, no basketball, No, I don't know one of your handball. No, we'll tell you after the break. Squash, no rackebill, No.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: Well on Friday he started.
Speaker 1: Pope Lio did his first full day is pon Tiff with a Mass at the Sistine Chapel. Called his election both a cross and a blessing. He will be formally inaugurated a mass at Saint Peter's Square next wait, yeah, next week May eighteenth.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: He did appeal over the weekend yesterday at the Vatican for no more war.
Speaker 4: Oh, bless your heart. I think he's got that part down.
Speaker 1: Called for a lasting peace everywhere, but specifically war in Ukraine's he's firing, Gaza and the recent hostilities between India and Pakistan.
Speaker 4: Apparently he is well.
Speaker 2: There's been progress in all three of those fronts, So maybe he is true.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe there's something to this guy.
Speaker 2: He did say he was deeply hurt by events in Gaza. He recited the You're gonna have to help me out here, the Regina Sali prayer in honor of the Virgin Mary. Is it the one that you you say.
Speaker 5: Which I go through a couple every day.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The the inaugural Mass, by the way, you mentioned the inaugural The inaugural Mass takes place officially next Sunday, and they said that leading up to that, this is going to be a very busy week for the new pope, Pope Leo. He's got a bunch of simply learning the ropes, if nothing else, figuring out what papal responsibilities are laid out in front of him, where they keep the alien bodies, things like that, he's gonna have meetings with cardinals, the press, he's gonna hold prayer sessions, and then also thinking about appointments or any changes that he wants to make there in the leadership at the Vatican. They said it was the popes wish that the heads and members of the institutions of the Roman Curia, as well as the secretaries and the president of the Pontifical Commission for the Vatican City State continue on a provisional basis. Nobody's losing their job right now, is basically what it says.
Speaker 1: Pope Leo said in an interview a couple of years ago for a website. This was when Pope Francis gave Pope Leo his red cardinal's hat when he arrived in Rome. Pope Leo said in this interview, I consider myself quite the amateur tennis player. And in fact, if you head to the corner of Via Leone the fourth and a Via Vaticano and turn west about fifty yards, you will find up above if you look to the sky, at the top of the thirty nine foot high Vatican City Wall, the secret tennis court.
Speaker 4: Yes, but it's that high up on a wall. Well, it's secret. Oh, I guess you can't.
Speaker 1: It would be a bad look to see the Pope and the cardinals and the bishops and everybody playing tennis.
Speaker 2: It's funny, they say. This high netted fence sticks out above the wall. It's obviously not for protection or security purposes. It's if you mishit the ball so the tennis balls don't come raining down onto the heads of the people making their way through the Vatican. The Vatican City tennis court. Most people do not know what's there.
Speaker 1: The gardens in the area around the tennis court have been closed to the public for quite some time, but it has been there for quite some time.
Speaker 4: They say.
Speaker 1: The golden era of the Vatican tennis was in the late seventies, after the court was renovated. Even the cardinals got caught up in that first tennis boom of the modern era. A tournament of Friendship began in nineteen seventy eight. Giovanni Battista Ree, who became the Vice Dean of the College of the Cardinals, took the title. At the time, he was a priest who worked for the Secretariat of State, which performs the political and diplomatic functions for the Pope.
Speaker 4: That's funny, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I would imagine this guy is a he's an American, so they're going to have to install some sort of a baseball diamond in there.
Speaker 4: Maybe they make a smaller one and it's a softball diamond. Perhaps.
Speaker 1: Well, I know you want the Pope to like baseball, but he says he's a tennis guy.
Speaker 4: You can't force the baseball. He's a White Sox fan.
Speaker 5: That's true, that's true, But I don't know if he plays.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: That's priestly. Tennis benevolence was a problem. Apparently they stopped winning when they open up the tournament to the employees of the Property Administration and then the children of the employees. So you've got seventy plus year old dudes out there running around with teenagers probably on that on that tennis sounds weird. Never mind, we'll just edit all the rest of that, right, so that doesn't have to go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Kind of just watered into that forest of hell, didn't you. I didn't even know where that path was leading. It's the it's the cloudy skies, you know. It affects us all very very differently. Of oxygen, a lack of oxygen. You mentioned baseball. Orioles beat the Angels seven to three yesterday, so the angel is going to go down to San Diego to take on the Padres tonight. The Dodgers yet again another big win, this one against the Diamondbacks eight to one. So they actually have the day off today before they host the A's tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You mentioned last week what an absolute craft sandwich Colorado Rockies.
Speaker 1: My brother says, oh, you guys won't believe what the Padres dude, Oh my gosh, Padres had a great day yesterday. And I was like, Okay, what did they do? They play the Rockies is something. He's like, yeah, who's like fifteen to one or whatever he said, And I was like, yeah, it's a Rockies.
Speaker 5: They've won six games.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, but that's a And I was like, bro, nothing, you say about a Rockies game is gonna be surprising.
Speaker 4: They're seven and thirty three. They did win yesterday.
Speaker 5: I feel awful.
Speaker 4: Even after the win, they fired their manager.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just feel awful for people to go to work like that every day, Like, what is that like, putting your body, your future on the line, all the things.
Speaker 4: Training?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I mean yes, the competitive nature of it makes it very frustrating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just go to work and suck every day, suck at what you do. Hello, we make people happy that one woman said, she said that this show is a real job. It's different from other people, both jobs, but that we provide joy and I appreciate that. But there was one person who said that.
Speaker 2: But you can find others that said that this show should jump off the roof, right, Yeah, many like Bud Black, many many more.
Speaker 4: All Right, Hey, we got Motivational Monday coming out.
Speaker 5: Well, right in time, isn't it?
Speaker 1: It is right in time if you're if you're playing for the Colorado Rockies, gather around the old radio because we got.
Speaker 5: A segment for you. Yes, why are you giving me that face?
Speaker 4: I was just trying to figure out how we're gonna do it. How we're gonna choose which one we do? Oh, we'll figure out.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: The Biden administration ban on those so called junk fees took effect today. A member of this goes back to ticket Master. Ticket Master says it will start displaying the full price of a ticket as soon as US customer consumers and shopping Remember those hidden fees that are like you know, as much as the ticket, those were targeted by the new rule it was announced back in December, requires ticket sellers, hotels, and others to disclose processing fees, cleaning fees, and other charges upfront.
Speaker 2: US stock's doing pretty good after China and the United States announced to ninety day truce in the trade war. We saw increases in the Dow, the NASDAK, and the S and P five hundred, all up around three percent. As of right now, with just a few minutes left in the trading day. The Dow's up one thousand and eighty eight. S and P five hundred is up three percent. Nasdaq is up four percent. All of this on news that, among other things, the United States is going to reduce our tariff down to thirty percent, and China agreed to lower its rate on US goods down to ten percent.
Speaker 1: Decency may be making a return to the Red carpet the King Decency. The can Film Festival is saying now in twenty twenty five, no nudity. It was never previously endorsed at the Can Film Festival, no hotspots, but they've updated its dress policy on the eve of the seventy eighth edition to read that nudity is prohibited on the Red carpet as well as any other area of the festival.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're gonna have to change your plan, Decency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna have to cover that thing up, buy some more fabric and then a developing story out of DC House, Republicans have unveiled the heart of their big tax package, remember the big beautiful bill that they've been trying to pass, so beautiful, three hundred and eighty nine page plan has some tax cuts and some tax increases. Would raise a number of taxes in order to finance some of the tax breaks that have been demanded by President Trump and expand some others, like the child tax credit. Would also extend many more that are set to expire at the end of this year.
Speaker 1: Days can be a little blah, right getting back into the work week, and you need a little reminder to be motivated. It is why we birthed motivational Mondays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a bunch of different stuff and speeches and story gets you going, something something to get you going, to remind you you know what, You're okay, Yeah, you're okay, You're okay.
Speaker 4: Everything from Rudy to Roosevelt. I'm trying to think of.
Speaker 2: Because Man in the Man in the Arena, right, that's in there somewhere, it's in the mix.
Speaker 1: To Greg Williams, Greg will telling his players to go out there and kill people for a bounty. Jack Nicholson, and there's so many people that'll get you going, you know, Ted last take the week.
Speaker 5: By the balls and just squeeze.
Speaker 4: Shorsy, Patton, all these So what we did was.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm sure Paton loves being right up there with Shorsy.
Speaker 4: Well different strokes. I'm sure he liked hockey.
Speaker 2: So I put him on these onto this big spinning wheel that we have in the studio here, and you get to roll it and see where it ends up.
Speaker 4: So give it a good Yank grip.
Speaker 7: Movie.
Speaker 2: Oh movie section, Ah, here we go. It's not a sports movie. But in this movie, Chucky gives his best friend, an immensely talented and smart Will, a friendly dose of reality.
Speaker 4: Chucky and will remember.
Speaker 5: This Chucky, I don't remember a Chucky.
Speaker 2: Well, we're starting ben Afflecks retribution to her redemption tours.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying nineteen ninety seven is good will hunting.
Speaker 8: So what are you done with those meetings?
Speaker 3: Went the week afterim twenty one?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're gonna hook you up with the job or what Yeah, room and do long division for the next fifty years. Probably make some nice bank though, colaborate bet initip. Way out of here.
Speaker 4: I want a way out of here for I mean, I'm gonna live here the rest of my life.
Speaker 8: You know we'll be neighbors. You know, we'll have little kids, tak them a little league together.
Speaker 4: Up fully failed.
Speaker 8: Look, you're my best friends, So don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still living here, coming over my house, washing the Patriots game, still working in construction. If kill you, that's not a threat, that's a fact.
Speaker 3: I'll kill you.
Speaker 4: I keep talking about.
Speaker 8: Look you got something none of myself. Oh come on, why is it always this? I mean, I owe it to myself to do this? Is that what if I no, no, no.
Speaker 9: You don't know it to yourself. You owe it to me. Tomorrow I'm gonna wake up and I'll be fifty and I'll still be doing it. That's all right, that's fine. I mean, you're sitting on a winning lottery tect ain't too much cash, and that's cool because I do anything to happen with you.
Speaker 6: Guy.
Speaker 8: Still with any of these guys be an insult the watch.
Speaker 9: If you're still here in twenty days, hanging around here is wasted time.
Speaker 8: You don't know that. I don't No, you don't know. I don't know that.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you what I do.
Speaker 3: Every day.
Speaker 9: I come by your house and I pick you up. When we go out, we have a few drinks and a few laughs and scray. You know what the best part of my day is for about ten seconds from when I pull up to the curb when I get to your door, because I think maybe i'll get up there and i'll knock on the door and you won't be there. Don't go bye, I no see you l eight. I know nothing.
Speaker 8: I just left.
Speaker 9: I don't know much, but I know that.
Speaker 4: That's what friends are for. Did you feel that way?
Speaker 1: Did you get that excitement when I rolled in about ten minutes before the ten seconds before the show started today? Did you think for just just leading up to that, maybe today's the day that she got a real job.
Speaker 4: No, if you're still.
Speaker 2: Here doing that, he is coming over to my house watching the Patriots game, I'll kill you.
Speaker 1: He's still coming into the studio doing Ball's jokes with me.
Speaker 5: I love that part. I love that scene.
Speaker 1: I still think of the fact that they wrote that movie Damon and ben Affleck. Yeah, I did not remember his name being Chucky in that movie. The character fascinating. Such a good movie and different. I mean they've remained friends, obviously, but different life trajectories.
Speaker 4: Right. You don't hear much about Matt Damon.
Speaker 5: No, he has a wife and kids and living a normal life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you heard way too much about Benette.
Speaker 5: Well you know you all your friends are normal.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: No, and again the Ben Affleck Redemption Tour starts at this show.
Speaker 4: He spent Mother's Day.
Speaker 5: With one broad who wasn't good for him?
Speaker 4: What just one?
Speaker 5: It's a low over and over and over again.
Speaker 4: That's true. He went back to the you know what I mean, like, he's fine.
Speaker 1: He's had some substance issues and some picking picking the wrong women issues, but other than that, he's a good guy.
Speaker 2: He did spend Mother's Day with Jennifer Garner and he knows that she appears to be a healthy person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's fine, He'll be fine. What did Fred say that? Did you go through different acts in life? He's gone through some different acts in life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. We all have acts. What act are you in? I think? Is what Fred said?
Speaker 5: Oh me?
Speaker 2: And and the question is that is it a three act? Is it like a traditional Shakespearean five act?
Speaker 4: I mean you don't know.
Speaker 5: You don't know until you take your last breath.
Speaker 4: Gary, You won't know until the curtain falls. It is to be or not to be? That is, you know what I mean? Jesus wept throw.
Speaker 5: That in there too.
Speaker 7: Also not Shakespeare, but no, but but God or who ever wrote that book? Who wrote that? That part depends on which I don't remember? Which do you remember?
Speaker 4: Wow? Is it? John? Let me look it up, okay, because that'll tell you oftentimes? Who wrote us?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 5: Well, I got that.
Speaker 2: That breaking biblical news when we come back. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app