Speaker 1: The FBI in Peace, I have more another great story based on Frederick L. Collins copyrighted books, the FBI in Peace and War Drama Thrills action. Tonight's story the eighty Grand exits, I apologize for breaking in on you. That's why, Sir, instructions that I was not. I know, Sir, but I'm afraid this can't wait all right?
Speaker 2: Then, say what of this past? I am disease? No, Ms Carter, would you mind?
Speaker 1: I don't mean to be evasive, mister Ramsey, but in the bank's best interest, I'd better speak with you alone. Ah, I, misscar I'll call you in a few moments. Sit down, Sit down, Thank you, sir. Now, then it's about Earl Kelvin, Sir. His wife called a short while ago, said he was sick and wouldn't be in today. Uh is that what you wanted to see me about? Not a substitute teller in Kelvin's plays out, But please ask.
Speaker 2: Miscart of the stepbackage.
Speaker 1: I already put a substitute teller in his place. M He reported a defaultations eighty thousand dollars missing from Earl's test to eighty thousand, mister Ramsey, all of it in tens and twenties.
Speaker 2: That's what I wanted to see you about.
Speaker 1: In the early part of this year, the Federal Bureau of Investigation was called in on what, at the surface appeared to be a routine banking peddlement.
Speaker 2: A trusted teller had walked off with exactly eighty thousand dollars of his employer's funds.
Speaker 1: But underneath the surface was a situation far from routine, which was to develop into one of the most unusual cases ever to be investigated by your SBI or Earl Kelvin had planned and planned well, both in his entrance to crime and his eighty grand except.
Speaker 2: Neil Kelly, some money.
Speaker 3: Could I didn't call a bank to tell them you were sick till I was safely out of town.
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Places and dance.
Speaker 2: Told you you'd like it. You also like the people and lot more friendly than that. Ege to sit down.
Speaker 3: I'll fix it in Scott, you better tell me in person's all going too fast.
Speaker 1: Little ly?
Speaker 2: Okay? You asked questions, I'll answer all right.
Speaker 3: What's her name?
Speaker 2: Johnson?
Speaker 1: Mister and missus Edward Johnston occupation salesman.
Speaker 2: I think I look most like a salesman, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well know if you look most like a salesman, but you should don't look like real Kelvin's good enough.
Speaker 2: No respect. I like it better like you. What about the money? Bog up? And I'll show you what I mean that Ma said you left five thousand with her? She's right? I then why all part of the plan?
Speaker 1: I mean, when the police see what series those bills are, they don't think they have a lead on the rest.
Speaker 2: And they won't very sure. Well if mar plays her hand right, do you worry about Ma? I made sure that five thousand was entirely different. That'll be much.
Speaker 1: I've been expecting his call. Hello, Hello, John, Yeah speaking? Did you get that speech?
Speaker 2: I said, I got it all right? Read it back when you. I want my wife to hear how it sounds. Ellie, right, go ahead, Oh my mis is Earl.
Speaker 4: I'm just calling quick to let you know Ellie and me arrived today.
Speaker 5: Okay, And you should worry. I can't tell you where we are, and we won't be able to call anymore because the cops may tap your line.
Speaker 4: Hold on now Ellie wants to speaking.
Speaker 2: Okay, Mats, that's enough, You've got it. You know when to call, I know, just leave it to me so long.
Speaker 3: Well, Earl calls MA when the cops are there. They traced the call and think you're in Baltimore. Uh uh, thought of everything, haven't you.
Speaker 1: I've tried to when you steal eighty thousand from the bank. It's always at that idea. Thanks, question, no more.
Speaker 3: Questions, Just show me the loot, like you always said, Earl, money talk.
Speaker 1: Immediately after the Bureau was informed of Earl Kelvin's defection, Agent Reynolds and I were assigned to the case. Ordinarily, our investigation would have begun at the bank, but the first in the series of developments happened so quickly that the immediate locale of our inquiry changed to the rooming house where the missing teller had residents. This development was the discovery of some of the stolen bills in the closet of Kelvin's bedroom. Agent Reynolds and I arrived on the scene shortly there after. The doors of the rooming house had been left on watch. We were directed upstairs in the small suite of rooms Earl Kelvin had occupied.
Speaker 2: Mister Ramsey, an executive of the bank was waiting for it. Which of you did I speak with over the phone. You spoke with Agent Reynolds. Mister Ramsey, I'm Howard Stephens. Yes, sent her in.
Speaker 1: Money's right here in this bag, mister Stevens, just the way Missus Elson found it five thousand, almost five forty nine hundred.
Speaker 2: You were able to identify the bills, Miss Ramsey, Oh yes, there are all right, you say your missus elsoon found the money.
Speaker 1: Earl Kelvin's mother in lawyer. You can talk to her in a minute. Good, and I hope you can get more out of her than I did. Mister Stevens uncooperative on the conquest, she said, who rather odd?
Speaker 2: Well you see anything? She is to come right in, Missus els.
Speaker 1: Thank you, young man.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Mister Ramsey. Well but shut that door. Will you sit down please, missus Elson, I'm.
Speaker 6: Much too upset to sit down. Really, if you have any more questions to ask me, you just go right ahead.
Speaker 2: You young men are.
Speaker 6: Agents of the FBI. An' she's a nice officer inside.
Speaker 2: Told missus Elsie.
Speaker 6: Oh there now, I gave him away, and after I promised not to, but then I promised.
Speaker 1: Earl, not too, miss Elso, Yes, all right with you, mister Ramsey, well of cars. By all means, you promised your son in law not to give him away, Yes, sir.
Speaker 6: I did, and Earl's such a nice boy. I feel real bad about that. You do well, I should hope so, after all it is, and every day a boy is thoughtful enough to leave his wife's mother a bundle of money.
Speaker 2: And the forty nine hundred dollars you're think he deliberately left it.
Speaker 1: I know he did.
Speaker 6: He only hit it in the closet. Those Ellie wouldn't find out. Am I talking too much?
Speaker 2: Young man?
Speaker 1: La?
Speaker 2: Who's Elie?
Speaker 6: He's right? My daughter real name's Natalie, but she'd scratch her eyes out if you called her that.
Speaker 1: It seems you're rather fond of your son in law, Missus Elsoon. Why did you get him away? Why?
Speaker 6: I'm fond of my son in law.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I'm also a law abiding citizen. Earl made a mistake, and the Good Lord will only help him.
Speaker 1: Pardon just one minute, missus Elsom, so like I can see you after Missus Elsom says.
Speaker 2: Hello, just hello, missus Elson.
Speaker 6: An agent went will take the receiver all right, but I think it's only Missus des Moines. Wednesday will usually see a showdown.
Speaker 2: Gore had Missus Elson answer and then hand it to me.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello, my zero. Okay, Missus Elson, I'm just calling quick to let you know Ellie and me arrived.
Speaker 5: Okay, shouldn't worry. I can't tell you where we are. We won't be able to call anymore because the cops may tap your line. You Hold on now, Ellie wants to speak to you.
Speaker 4: Ellie, any last.
Speaker 5: Words you want to say to me?
Speaker 4: Ma, mah, hold it, Ellie, don't say anything?
Speaker 2: Hang on? Hung up? Uh huh? What'd you say?
Speaker 1: Not much, Missus Elson, but quite enough for us to operator. This is a federal Asian speaking out of town call.
Speaker 2: It just came into this number. I want to have a trace immediately. Please Law Law.
Speaker 1: Enforcement Agency Baltimore, Maryland and Vicinity be on the lookout for Earl Kelvin. The script and followed this man that wanted for himplestment eighty thousand dollars from the Second National.
Speaker 7: Hello, this is Marvin Miller with another page from your American Heritage scrapbook. It was in eighteen fifty four that Cyrus Westfield, a wealthy New York paper manufacturer, came out of voluntary retirement at the age of thirty five to fulfill a green and join the old world and the New with a transatlantic telegraph cable. The cable was to extend two thousand, three hundred miles from the coast of Irelands to the Canadian province of Newfoundland. The United States and Great Britain pooled their resources in the effort. The American warship Niagara was converted into a cable layer, and the British contributed and converted their ship, the Agamemnon. The cable used was flimsy by today's standards, just five eighths of an InChI in diameter, and it had to be laid on an ocean floor that was two and a half miles.
Speaker 2: Below the surface.
Speaker 7: Many heartbreaking failures plagued, but did not discourage the effort, and after several unsuccessful attempts, the two ships rendezvous once again in mid Atlantic on July twenty ninth.
Speaker 2: Eighteen fifty eight. The cables on each ship were spliced together.
Speaker 7: The intricate paying out machinery was set in motion, and as the cable began its descent to the ocean floor. The ships set their courses one east, one west. The Niagara proceeded to Newfoundland without mishaps. The Agamemnon was successful too. After weathering a bad storm and the threatening cavortings of a playful whale, cyrus.
Speaker 2: Field's dream became a reality.
Speaker 7: Queen Victoria and President Buchanan exchanged greetings to inaugurate the new cables, which had cut communication time between the two countries from ten days to only minutes.
Speaker 2: He was conquering distance and time, cyrus Field, pop.
Speaker 7: It could be done with a cable that connected half the globe and formed a link in the growth of America through transportation and communications.
Speaker 3: And it is believed the Telvin is hiding out somewhere in the vicinity of Baltimore, Maryland.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Great, soothing asdis on see real seven day wonders.
Speaker 2: Wait here the rest.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got all the additions, Mitch, get here yet yet?
Speaker 4: We can expect you money time though, Well, I.
Speaker 8: Just want to read you the news, honey. I'll be home soon as I finished my shopping all by.
Speaker 3: So you gotta kick out.
Speaker 2: Of it, I should think. So what else, Let's go back to the table.
Speaker 1: Sure, Well you didn't get here yet.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't.
Speaker 8: Huh, but we could expect you any time to you.
Speaker 2: Tell now the beer? No, I gotta talk it back, Okay, if you say something, you gotta start a ribbing in town.
Speaker 5: When slack and I'm.
Speaker 2: Cool, Earl's mistation.
Speaker 1: That's been fun, Ellie, that goes double kind of too bad?
Speaker 2: It has to end.
Speaker 3: Well the thing goes. All good things happen.
Speaker 2: What if they don't?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Now, man, we're not bringing it all out.
Speaker 1: Of damn you hate Earl's got how many times you told me that you would have walked out on him years ago if it hadn't made for the job he had.
Speaker 2: What's stopping me? Now? You would stop me?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 1: Eighty thousand?
Speaker 2: Yar kidding yourself?
Speaker 1: Olly, you know, El, you want your diamond at eighty you'll go to the whole kaboodle.
Speaker 2: In some small business, the gas station, maybe a hardware.
Speaker 3: You know I do with your offerings no better.
Speaker 1: I'm offering the eighty thousand, every dime of it. What with earning the lock up? Who's next in line?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: What you mean?
Speaker 2: I don't tell me? The thought never entered that pretty mind?
Speaker 8: I did I admit it, but it went right out again. Why you don't you know why when he got out? Why you there's the only two of us know what he looks like. Can he changed his state? There has to be one of us turning him in a boat.
Speaker 1: What if there was another way to turn him in an ad type way, so we'd never know any worse?
Speaker 2: There was suppose he paid.
Speaker 1: For something with one of those bank bills, and when the cups picked him up he had more bills on him.
Speaker 3: Not a chance, because Earl took care of that most thoroughly. The only builds it could be identified with the ones he left Ford Ma, all.
Speaker 8: Five thousand works.
Speaker 1: That's why forty nine hundred worth your shire centurially.
Speaker 2: Forty nine hundred.
Speaker 1: I held out five twenties, these babies right here, five twenties a century.
Speaker 2: And what I was thinking there is nobody has access to her husband's wallet like a wife.
Speaker 1: Now, if you were to take say four of these twenties and change them for say four earls.
Speaker 3: Lets you low you had this idea when the stop.
Speaker 2: Maybe I did, maybe mud took me into it. Just do the manswerarly?
Speaker 1: What if there was an air tight way to turn early and.
Speaker 2: Stevens. That's the I Washington conversation.
Speaker 1: I've apprehended three suspects ssing your description, Earl Kelvin.
Speaker 2: I'm holding them professionally pending your arrival and sign a Powell Baltimore Police.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's not Kelvin. You are sure, mister Ramsey, I'm positive. Okay, tek him out me and bring in the next. Now you understand, mister Ramsey, he may have altered his appearance considerably, dyed his hair, scarred his faith. I understand that fact. You'd be amazed at length. Some of these fellows go, oh, parent, suddenly that's a man.
Speaker 2: Bring right in you go ahead that I'll be right with it, all right, Serge, thank him.
Speaker 1: How about this one? Mister Ramsey put him on? Well he does a little like her. Okay, but I'm certain, mister Stevens.
Speaker 2: Yes, Inspector, I'm sorry, mister Ramsey, this.
Speaker 1: May be interesting. One of you fellows that better listen on the extension, all Dave, would.
Speaker 2: You mind the good thing this phone here, Inspector?
Speaker 1: Either one the calls from Ohio man says he was handed one of the missing bank bills. Steve Holp, all right, sir, please continue.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm only going to say this once. I don't want to be involved in any trouble.
Speaker 5: It's just this man ed Johnson come into my store and he paid for something with a twenty dollar bills. I always checked big bills.
Speaker 4: At the cash registered for possible counterfeits. I'm gonna check this one. It matched up with the newspaper information on that newid fank combezzlement. I kept my mouth shut till this Ed Johnson left the store, and then I.
Speaker 5: Called you collect Like the pick said, I'm delivering the twenty dollars bill to a local police and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 4: Oh, biding citizen enough, just doing my duty.
Speaker 5: It's all we gotta say.
Speaker 4: By Ooh.
Speaker 6: Hello, so mob, it's elly, Oh Ellie, dear, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm fine, mob.
Speaker 6: Earl isn't no, no, he isn't fine at all.
Speaker 4: The police just arrested him here in Acris.
Speaker 6: Well, that had to happen, sooner or later. Ellie, you come on home and I'll take care of you.
Speaker 4: I'm all right, man.
Speaker 6: I want to stay here for a few days in case the police should ask me anything.
Speaker 1: It will take care of me.
Speaker 6: Don't worry, all right, I will.
Speaker 2: You just remember what I said.
Speaker 6: This had to happen sooner or later.
Speaker 2: It's all for the best. Believe me. I do believe you.
Speaker 5: Mont, I don't miss.
Speaker 4: That's just what you'd say.
Speaker 1: This is all for the best.
Speaker 2: You go Why she didn't he did?
Speaker 6: I'm telling you, and just those words, it's all thought.
Speaker 2: That was excuse me, go ahead? What else? Do you my home?
Speaker 3: I'll get here and.
Speaker 2: You said no, thank you, ma'am. Mitch's going to head let it.
Speaker 3: Stepping into my Polly said Spotter, which on the light. We just want to sit in something more comfortable.
Speaker 2: Should only make sure it's something black. And I mean, after all, it's such a thing as.
Speaker 3: It's such a thing's.
Speaker 2: Gone, Mitch tell him, oh, such a thing as what what are you doing here? What am I doing? Shouldn't I be asking you that this is my house? Well? I should be here, shouldn't I?
Speaker 8: Earl?
Speaker 2: Shouldn't I? Ellie? We thought you were picked up her You didn't, Yes, Nick tad Oh, I can imagine what Mitch said.
Speaker 6: Well anyway, that that doesn't matter now those wasn't so, but he was so willing I was picked up.
Speaker 2: I had a nice long session with the FBI, and they they let you go. That's right. I told him I had the wrong man, that I wasn't Earl Kevin. My name was Ed Johnson. And I could prove it. Oh, Earl, you're happy for me? What you think? You too much? You're happy, I'll say, I am, brother. What is scared?
Speaker 1: Why? I should have known you'd talk out? Yeah, he should have had. You can prove it.
Speaker 2: Like you say, it's good. They find you with a couple of bills. That told him? Who said anything about bills? But how did you know what they found? Mate? Well I didn't. I only meant you didn't know about the five thousand mil young Now, yeah, he can talk, Ellie.
Speaker 1: Let me say what he means. He's had practice, haven't you, Mitch Earl? If you've got some crazy.
Speaker 2: Idea, I have no. I raised the idea and I've got the right idea. All I'm saying, the FBI let me go for one very good reason. What reasons? Oh what happened?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what happened. Some tipster phoned in that I was carrying stolen bills. I said, that wasn't possible. They said it was possible, improved, And just when they were also going to prove that I was, Calvin, one of their agents spoke up and said I couldn't be. What one of their agents they named Reynolds. He said I couldn't be because he'd heard Kelvin's voice over the phone with Mary Elsom and it wasn't anything like mine.
Speaker 2: And then he said something else, something real interesting.
Speaker 1: All day, been trying to remember where he'd heard this tipster's voice before. Now he knew it was the same voice as Kelvin's on the phone with Ma. The same voice.
Speaker 2: Mitch, Oh, put that gun away out. What are you gonna do? Just what you think? Only first time. I'm gonna find out where you hit my money Earlier got it wrong. I didn't know the glitch. He's telling the truth.
Speaker 1: Where's the money? Ellen, you uptairs? Where it's all I've been upstairs? Don't lie to me, not right, I don't know. So you know, both of you know.
Speaker 2: I want that money, Mitch. Now for the last time, where is it? You've got three counts one two under the front seat of my car. Okay, that's my rackets. Open the door.
Speaker 1: I mean we're all go out and have a look bad Mitch, and don't try anything you never will again.
Speaker 2: All right, I keep walking up to the carboy here, I'm right behind you. Where right you? All of you stay you are, We're federal officers. Santay, are your hands raise?
Speaker 1: I'll take that, John Calvin, come on, let's have it. You know what along that was only a setup.
Speaker 2: Sorry for the.
Speaker 1: Deception, but we wanted to recover the money. Also, we wanted to find out just whose voices.
Speaker 4: Out going.
Speaker 2: I was only a warning. Next for keep man where you are, both of you, don't move? All right?
Speaker 7: Hello, this is Marvin Miller with another page from your American Heritage scrapbook.
Speaker 2: Speaking in a broad sense.
Speaker 7: The American Revolution was not the same thing as the American War of Independence. The war lasted eight years, but the Revolution lasted over a century and a half. It began when the first permanent settlers landed on the shores of America. It has been said that insurrection of thought always precedes insurrection of deeds, and over the years, such a change occurred in the thinking of the colonists that the Revolution was nearly completed in their minds before the first bullets began to fly.
Speaker 2: Consider for a moment.
Speaker 7: The colonies were settled largely by emigrants who were discontented or rebellious in spirit, by people who couldn't adjust to life in the old worlds, whether socially, politically, economically, or religiously.
Speaker 2: Some were tired of bowing to their betters.
Speaker 7: Others wanted a share in government, or a richer portion of the world's goods, or to worship.
Speaker 2: God as they chose.
Speaker 7: The nightmare crossing of the Atlantic impressed upon their minds that the London government was now far away three thousand terorless miles. They had to become self sufficient to survive in the lonely American wilderness.
Speaker 2: The dense forests and rugged.
Speaker 7: Pioneering conditions changed their patterns of livings and their.
Speaker 2: Habits of thought.
Speaker 7: The barbaric crudeness of their surroundings forced them to become independent. As time passed, Americans matured and acquired privileges of self government enjoyed by no other colonial peoples, further increasing their self confidence. It was a subtle revolution being wrought within the people themselves. The insurrection of thought was slow, insidious, and irresistible. Insurrection of deeds was predestined by the newly developed strength, self confidence, individualism, and spirit of independence of young America for the arrest of.
Speaker 1: Mitch Borton and Natalie Kelvin and the recovery of almost all of the stolen money.
Speaker 2: The final step was taken quietly when.
Speaker 1: A return visit was made to missus Elson at the rooming House in Newark, together with Earl Calvin.
Speaker 2: All four were quickly tried and convicted, their.
Speaker 1: Subsequent varied sentences closing the eighty grand Exit.
Speaker 7: This is the United States Armed Forces Radio and Television service
Speaker 2: LUD