Speaker 1: Welcomeboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dad Matthews Live and local h town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here.
Speaker 3: We love you all. So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start now bear me the eight.
Speaker 3: This is Space City Saturday. It's insane.
Speaker 1: Here's seven nineties. Dan Matthews, very true. What's going on? Everybody? You're with you for the next couple of hours. Melvin Brown behind the glass. Appreciate you all tuning in to us right here on. You're home of the Astros and the Rockets. Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 4: As we ought to do here in the first hour of the show, heavy Astros in this hour, So if you want to weigh in, do so seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's sebon one three two one two five seven ninety. As you have a chance to be able to talk end of the season and also too as well what's ahead for the Stros. We will do all of that as we move along here in the program today Texans. In the second hour get to a lot of what was said this week over at NRG Stadium. But not only there, but also too Not very often do you hear a loss carried over to the following week and the coach and the players are asked continuously about it. But that was the case with Dimiko Ryans and CJ. Stroud and whoever else was asked about it over there, because well, that was not a fun performance in Minneapolis last weekend against the Vikings. So the Texans trying to bounce back from that, and we will see if they are able to do that. Also in that second hour bottom of the hour, Ryan Hacker Green from ten ten XL in Jacksonville, he joined us on the A team. Some good stuff said by him on the Jacksonville side of tomorrow's matchup. We'll get into that, but also too as well, you know, just how is this Jacksonville team looking coming into this game. I think Ryan used the term lost with no real direction. There's some people even wondering if tomorrow does not go well, does Doug Peterson get shown the door. They're in Jacksonville. And also this is a team that did extend their quarterback after last season, So who's to say that the Texans cannot prolong that those issues for Trevor Lawrence in the Jacksonville Jags gotta believe they're gonna be emptying the kitchen sink tomorrow because that is a team badly a win, and not only are they badly need of a win, but also to the Texans would like to be able to put together their best performance of this season, because again we'll talk about it in the next hour, but this is a team that could very easily be in the Jags position right now. That win at Indianapolis, it could have absolutely gone the other way. The win at home against the Bears on Sunday Night football, same deal. The Bears could have very easily won that game over the Texans. And then last week, of course, we saw how bad that went. So we will talk about that a little bit later on in the show. But the Astros just kind of going beginning of the week until now Tuesday night.
Speaker 5: They got the good one.
Speaker 4: They got the win over the Seattle Mariners that closed the door on the Mariners at least winning the al Wes their chances of still making the postseason.
Speaker 5: We're alive for about a couple of.
Speaker 4: More days because they prolonged it the next day with a just a weird game there for the Astros where tons of players were resting. That was the hangover lineup that a lot of people will call it, not saying that guys had hangovers, but anyway, I mean, you had, you know, Joe Aspota after the game emphatically saying that players would be rested going forward. Because also to the Astros, knew that their playoff fate was already sealed. They were going to be the third seed, no more, no less than the third seed. They were locked in to that spot because they were not going to catch the Yankees, they were not going to catch the Cleveland Guardians for either of those top two spots to be able to skip out on the wild card round. So in that case, it was, why do we even need to necessarily, you know, press our guys even further. Let's give jose al Tuova some rest. Let's give Kyle Tucker some rest. Let's give Alex Bregman some rest. Let's give you know whom I'm missing out on here that needs some rest. Last night we saw Jeremy Pania get some rest. It's almost kind of one of those when you reach this certain point of the season that the man is almost like the principal in the movie The Breakfast Club with jud Hirsh you know where he's talking back to him. Oh you want a Saturday, all right, Well you get another one though, Oh you want one more? Well, guess what you just bought yourself another one. That's pretty much what managers are with players with rest days. Hey, you're getting a rest day. Well I don't want one. Well, guess what you just got another one. I mean, it's pretty much protecting yourself from yourself, and that's what I think Joe Aspota is up against right now. So if I had to suspect today, I think the lineup will look pretty similar to what it has most of this season.
Speaker 5: Obviously, no Jordan Alvarez.
Speaker 4: He's back here in Houston going through some light work right now. We heard Joe Aspotta telling Brian McTaggert and the collected media there in Cleveland yesterday that he was doing some walking on the treadmill. Well, I've got to agree with Brian McTaggert if that does not translate to maybe we hear today that he was taking some batting practice on the field, doing some light running something like that, and we're not training, you know, we're not getting close to that point. And I guess Monday will be kind of a tell tell sign. I believe the Astros will be doing a workout there on Monday in kind of a media day with not only them but also too as well. You know, if the season ended today, you know that old that we like to do in baseball, the season ended today, Well, if it ended today, the Astros would be bringing the Kansas City Royals to town over the Detroit Tigers. As it currently stands, the Tigers are now the fifth seed in the American League playoff picture, as they would be taking on more than likely the Baltimore Orioles in the first round that wild card round, and the Astros would get the Kansas City Royals. But of course we've got today, we've got tomorrow, and the Royals a little bit of a tougher path to try to climb their way back into the fifth spot, because not only are they playing a much better team, but the White Sox are playing a team that has lost the most games in the modern era of baseball, in the Chicago White Sox so the Tigers a little bit of an easier path to be able to get to that point, and the Royals are in Atlanta taking on a Braves team that as of right now has climbed their way back into the wildcard picture for the National League. But not only that, they are trying to be able to stave off both the Mets and the Diamondbacks to keep them out of the postseason. So you know that Brian Snickers team is very much trying to win those games. And the Royals, I think at this point, now that they are clenched and locked in, it will be pretty interesting to see how they handled tomorrow and even today against the Braves. I mean, I think, obviously too you want to be competitive, you want to be able to put your best foot forward. But I think at this point it's probably best to assume that the Astros will be seeing the Royals, and at least for the last couple of years, that had not been a good proposition for the Astros, But at least the last series it was a lot better than what it had been, as the Stros were able to take care of Kansas City. So don't think that's not gonna be on the Royals' minds as they more than likely come here on Monday and get ready for those hopefully just two games. Hopefully the Astros would only need those two games, but again, Cole Reagan's seth Lugo, it's gonna be tough pitching on that side, but the Astros have some tough pitching on their side as well, So the Astros again, I mean improbable of all runs I think that we've seen for the Stros. I mean I think even last year, I think even heading into that final weekend, we were still kind of thinking, well, I don't see a scenario where this team misses out on the postseason. And of course I believe it was that Friday is when they at least clinch a chance to go the postseason, either as a wild card or as a division winner. And then what was it that Sunday when they beat Arizona and also to the Rangers loss of the Mariners, then they clinched the AO West, so they were able to get in that way. So they did it a little bit earlier this year, but still I think it's kind of what happened early on in the season that came back for the Astros this year that would again lead me to signal that this is one of the more improbable runs. The seven and nineteen start oh and four to start the season against the Yankees. They came in here and absolutely dominated you, and you're just kind of like, man, that sucks. I mean, you couldn't take one of those four. I mean, you're still not feeling one hundred percent great with a one in three start, but at least you're feeling a lot better than oh to four. Then you get the Renel Blanco no hitter on that Monday night against Toronto and the Astros. Then after that, continuing their slide, going to Kansas City getting swept, just getting absolutely blown out. Aside from that first game, the series against the Nationals, not a fun one. Getting swept by the Cubs, getting swept by the Braves, just not a fun start.
Speaker 5: That all boiled to a seven and nineteen start.
Speaker 4: Then you get to twelve in twenty four and then as the season goes along, Kyle Tucker goes down, same with Justin Berlander, and still this team found a way. So we'll see how it all shakes out when it's all said and done. Last night, though, saw some good things I don't think there's any doubt about that. Again, I mean, you know, some people on the surface might say, and you know, I've even kind of used the line as well that this is almost kind of extended spring training at this point because the games themselves do not matter, but for Cleveland it does because they're trying to be able to get the top spot there as day again already locked into one of the top two spots, but the Yankees winning last night and also to the Guardians losing it to the Astros, so that definitely hurts their chances of being able to get to that point. But I mean, you know, the Astros trying to be able to just carry any momentum they can into the postseason. I said the Yankees one last night, I lied they actually lost to the Pirates. Forgot about that too. They're in the Bronx. But I mean, you know, the good things we saw Jose Altuve, a couple of hits out of him, three hits out of Kyle Tucker, three from Alex Bregman. That's something we're going to talk about a little bit later on in the show, because I think that absolutely is something that you love to see. It's a sight for sore eyes if you're an Astros fan heading into the postseason. So we will definitely be talking about that a little bit later on. And tonight's again five to ten, first pitch from there in Cleveland, and a programming note about that as well. We're gonna have Texas in Mississippi State from there in Austin right here on your home of the Longhorns in Houston for football and men's basketball Sports Talk seven to ninety, so the Astros all coverage in between gonna be over on news Radio seven forty k TRH. I will be coming your way at four o'clock with Astros on deck over there on news Radio seven forty. And also we will have Robert Ford Steve Sparks over there, and the Astros tenth Inning Show will be there with you as well on KTRH. But one last chance, I think for Justin Verlander to prove he can be a possibility to pitch in the postseason. I don't envision any scenario where Verlander has left off the postseason roster. But I also think as well, here's the scenario, say in the Alds if you get to a Game four and you're kind of thinking about all right, do we use that day off and bring back fromber if you're down to one in the series. I think that's probably the route you would have to go. I do not pitch Justin Verlander in an elimination scenario. I'm sorry. He has not proven to me that he can be reliable in that scenario. In a game where you badly need a win and you badly need to keep the opponent off the scoreboard. Verlander has not proven to be that guy right now. So I don't know. I mean, is it, you know, one start against a team that is still playing for something right now that if he goes out today and say, throws five and third, five and two thirds six innings, maybe even more, that you say to yourself, Okay, there's that guy.
Speaker 5: He's back. We can go with him.
Speaker 4: Or is it one of those that he's kind of just ho hum and maybe the bats show up for him and he's able to win the game. I mean, I think if he's that then you probably feel a little less certain about what he can bring you in terms of starting pitching potential. But as of right now, we've talked about it at nauseum, I think your starting rotation is pretty simple in terms of the wildcard round, and this is where I think things start off right now, because that is where the Astros would start.
Speaker 5: You got to go from Or one.
Speaker 4: You got to go Hunter Brown two, and then I think if it's a if necessary Game three, you go with Yusay Kakuchi, who has been able to prove that he can get out via the strikeout. And he's also too I think for the most part limited the damage against him on the bases and of feet touching home plate. But that is something that we're going to be continuously keeping an eye on because I think Renelle Blanco showed some good stuff last night. So could Renel Blanco maybe even be a guy that you throw in to a game three start. I don't know a lot to see how Joe Aspota plays it all out.
Speaker 5: But speaking of.
Speaker 4: Joe Aspota coming out next, a storyline of the twenty twenty four season that is not getting enough run and I think should be talked about a lot more. We'll discuss that and much more. Richard John, I see you guys right there on the phone lines. Get to you on the other side as well. You want to join them, you can do so. Seven one, three, two one two five, seven ninety. Once again, that's seven one three two one two five at seven ninety as we continue to roll along here on at Space City Saturday on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Space City Saturday one, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: I had that breakfast club mentioned in there, So there you go. Like I said, I'm Judd Hirsh on the football field, throwing the fists in the air as I'm walking off. Don't you forget about me? Don't you forget about the breakfast club? Emilio Molly. Everybody right there, you little troublemakers. You're having to hang out in the library. And then you've got the guy who was the actor's name at Dan Matthews Hou if anybody remembers who the actor was that played the principal like he played every single eighties like just pain in the ass, like authority figure. I mean, remember he was Deputy Marshall Dwayne whatever on Diehard. He was the coach I think in Johnny b Bad? Are Johnny be Good? And what was it he was in that? I mean that guy just an absolutely you know what buster, that's what he played in eighties movies. So if you know that actor's name, please learn me something right there. It would be much appreciated. All right, Before I get to the storyline that I think has not talked about enough for the Astros this year, as I promised you on the phone lines, you get to take part as well. And he is Richard, who wants to weigh in here to talk some Astros. Richard, what's up, buddy?
Speaker 2: Hey? Dan? I got a comment and a question. So the comment is, I thought Blanco and here and Daddy coming out of the pen last night looked great, and I sure hope they feature as we go into this long series. Were about the Embarkhan, But my question is more kind of technical. I should know and I don't. How do they use the farm team as they get into the playoffs? Dan, And you know, I've seen that, like Gazenzo coming up last night and looked great, But you know, with the kind of likes of all the players are kind of injured right now, I'm just kind of curious about how that farm team can use as they go forward.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the call, Richard. I'll start with the second one first. It's called the taxi squad is how the farm team is used. There is a certain amount of guys that are designated to be part of said taxi squad. And this was something that came about during COVID when they did not have minor league baseball that year. So anybody that could be promoted to the major league level, they were part of said taxi squad, and they were able to practice maybe even if you had enough guys inner squad, and be able to try to stay fresh for if indeed you were called up to the major league level. And so that is what they've carried over to now. So you'll have almost kind of like a practice squad on an NFL team, where you'll have a certain amount of guys. I don't know the amount that you're allowed to have that can be a part of said taxi squad. But I note that last night I was listening on my way home to Joe Espada with Robert Ford talking about Shay Whitcomb where he of course was sent down, and some people probably wondering, how man, you know, I mean, that's got to be kind of tough after he just made all those errors against the Mariners and you demote him. I mean what's that going to do for his psyche? He said, well, you know, we've already told him that Monday, join us back on the taxi squad, so he will be there. I would probably suspect that, Like say, it wouldn't surprise me if even you see Rafael Montero be part of that, and who knows, maybe even Forrest Whitley be part of that group as well that are being told, hey, stay fresh, stay ready, because if there's an injury or if we feel like you fit a matchup problem for the opponent, if we are able to move on to the Alds, then you're gonna be a part of it. So you have those guys ready for you and looking to be ready to go. So that's where those guys guys are. In terms of Spencer Arraghetty and him coming out of the bullpen, I mean, Blanco did give you a good start last night, and Blanco does have bullpen experience. We've seen him come out of the pen in the past. I mean, this was really the first season that you had Dana Brown saying hey, let's think about him as a starter, and boy, it worked out a two point eight zero e er A for him. This season. But for Araghetty some good things last night. I mean, you know, the strikeouts will be there. If he finds the zone, he's got the stuff that's gonna miss bats, and he did that four times. The only problem with raic Getty is sometimes that command can become an issue from a walks perspective, and that's what it was last night. Three in that category, but also two as well, with the lack of command, at times, he can have the baseball float up in the zone, and those are baseballs that get barreled up and put over the wall. And you want to try to limit runs as much as possible in the postseason because of how finite your chances are to be able to score against them. It's the same deal that you want to be able to limit their chances. That's why you see pitching changes used so liberally during the postseason, and that is something that Joe Spoda has to keep in mind. But also two, I mean, we saw Hunter Brown get some very good innings last year out of the pin I mean, I remember the back to that game four. He came out, He's throwing a hundred and dotting it up on the outside corner against the Rangers in that game or when to even up the series. So I mean, Arraghetti could possibly fit that role again this year.
Speaker 5: And you saw it used a little bit last night.
Speaker 4: Two and a third innings out there and you get, you know, two thirds of an inning out of Brian to bray you and Josh Hater. I'm sure that's gonna be brought up as well. I mean, Hater, is it a little bit of a concern right now? Sure, you don't want to see your closer giving up runs, but it also is too as well. I mean, you know, we know what Josh Hater is in save situations, at least the majority of the season. I think what three blown saves this year, I think that's what he had. So you know that's something that you're gonna see. Closers are gonna give up saves. That's gonna happen during the course of a year. But also too as well, you'd like to see them be able to get good work done when it's a non close situation, and that's what it was last night. I mean the walks when Josh Hater is not effective. If you see him give up a walk, then you need to start worrying because that seemingly is when he starts to what kind of you know, off a little bit in terms of his effectiveness. But if he's coming in and the slider is biting, I think that's the pitch that Steve Sparks said was what he looks for in terms of if he's got that pitch biting, then it's gonna be a good day for him. But if it's kind of spinning up there, then it's not gonna be a good day for him. And these are things that the Astros are hoping that pitch in, all of his pitches are effective in the postseason, because again, most of the times you're gonna come in during the postseason, you're gonna have maybe a one run lead, maybe you're gonna be tied, maybe you're gonna be down by one, whatever it might be. You need him to be able to be that guy. And that's why I think a lot of times, you know, we're incredibly critical of him when he's not that guy, because the money is one thing, and the money is probably the catalyst for us having that frustration when he has his frustrating outings, but also too as well. I mean, you know, you are that guy and you've been, you know, portrayed to be that guy, then you need to be them.
Speaker 5: When you come out there on the field.
Speaker 4: But last night, obviously giving up those two runs, a couple of hits there as well, he does strike out one, but still you'd like to see Josh Hater be.
Speaker 5: A little bit more effective.
Speaker 4: I think if Joe Espata had his brothers today, you would not see Josh Hater being used whatsoever in this game. So we'll see if indeed that does play out today there in Cleveland again, A five to ten first pitch coming your way over on news radio seven forty k TRH. All right, finally the storyline that I don't think has been talked about enough this season, and we can carry over the most of it to the next segment, but I do want to play this audio right now, as earlier this week, had a chance to catch up with Joe Aspota along with the rest of the media in the Astros dugout before the series finale against the Seattle Mariners, and one thing that has struck me the most about a Spota this year is his ability to stay calm when things are really bad. He was the same guy when things were really good. Same deal, same guy, and just tried to always stay right there in the middle and didn't try to get too high, didn't try to get too low. So I asked you a spota as a first year manager trying to fight off those emotions.
Speaker 5: What allowed you to stay so calm?
Speaker 3: A couple of things.
Speaker 6: Just faith in God, man, I you know.
Speaker 5: That's number one. My family. I got an incredible family. I go home to.
Speaker 6: A wonderful wife and kids who love me and support me. And that that's very important because at the end of the day, I'm not, you know, not only a baseball manager, but I'm a father and a husband, and that's that will always be there, right. That's the most important thing too. You know, I got an organization who support me. I got players who will have my back and I have their back. And you know, front office who do whatever it takes to put players in, you know, bring players in. Jim Crane as an owner, he he cares about winning. If you ask for something, he's you know, let's go what do we need? Player development, you know, getting players for the big leagues and and us just sustain what we do. We need a lot of things to go our way, and we do that well because we communicate, we work together, and that's very important. That helps me to do my job.
Speaker 5: That's just you know, how we sustain that.
Speaker 6: It's important and we've been able to do that for many, many, many years, so.
Speaker 5: That that's a good feeling.
Speaker 6: Now they're emotional struggles that yeah, I'm a human, right and I see you know we're not playing well, and you know I take it personal, but I know if I stay strong, these guys will.
Speaker 5: Find a way to win.
Speaker 6: They've done it for many many years.
Speaker 5: That's good perspective to have.
Speaker 4: And again, as a first year manager, you don't see that a lot, even from veteran managers. I mean, remember the guys who ran hot when things weren't going well, Guys like Bobby Valentine and Loupanella boy Jeff Blum huge Loupanella fan, isn't he? But I mean even you know a Tony LaRussa another guy that used to go that route and for the old school guys, maybe that worked for the guys now it doesn't seem to work. And Joe Espada again, to have that type of perspective, that's something I do want to carry over. So I'll expand on that on the other side, as well as get into an Alex Bregman topic here. I think that Bregman is handling himself a certain way because he doesn't want to make a mistake someone else made while wearing an Astro's uniform. I think you can probably deduce who I'm talking about with the other name, but we'll do that on the other side as well. If you want to weigh in, please do so. Seven one three two on two five, seven ninety. Once again, that's Semon one three two on two five at seven ninety. As we continue to roll along here on a Space City Saturday on your Home with the Astros and the Rockets sports Talk seven ninety. This is Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety. Okay, there we go, Delvin Brown telling me it is the og. It's it's the one that was sampled, not not the newest one that of course, you know for everybody, anybody that's in a relationship. I'm sure that probably your spouse has used that in an insta story.
Speaker 5: I know mine has numerous times. So there you go.
Speaker 4: So we've got the emotions by the way too. Before I continue the Joe a spot of thought, but also to get into a little bit of a thought about Alex Bregman a show correction right here, an eh, right here air on the host I had called Judd Nelson jud hirsh.
Speaker 5: And as a joke with somebody on Twitter.
Speaker 4: No, he's not Jeff Goldbloom's dad in Independence Day. He is jud Nelson, of course, who has been in numerous different movies. There was the brat Pack little documentary that just came out recently. I think that it was Amazon Prime that had it. I believe it was Prime. I can't remember exactly, but Judd Nelson was not famously part of it, but his voice was heard because I guess he called the actor. I can't remember his name now again, you know, I didn't throw out a name this time, so I can't be wrong in that regard. But it was the member of the brat Pack that kind of was going around talking to a different actors, producers, whoever it might have been. And Nelson at first had declined to be part of it, but it did leave the door open that maybe they could do a sequel to it and that he would possibly be part of it. But Judd Nelson of course definitely part of that eighties crew of actors that we affectionately knew as the brat Pack during that time. Demmy Moore part of it as well, I think was Jason Bateman part of it. I guess that was the other part of it as well, as it kind of left to interpretation who could be part of the brat Pack. So anyway, Judd Nelson and then Paul Gleeson was the guy that I said was the you know what buster of eighties movies.
Speaker 5: He was in Diehard, he was in Johnny B.
Speaker 4: Good, he was in The Breakfast Club as well. So that guy, I mean, you want to talk about being tight asked for a role. He was definitely for that role of being the either principal or the coach or the cop that just won't listen to John McClain and of course then gets dressed down by John McClain on the CBE radio. As you know, he was telling him, you don't have anything figured out down there. I've got everything figured out here in the building, because guess what, I'm a New York City cop. I mean, you know, Sergeant al Powell tried to tell him, hey, things, He said he could be a bartender for all, you know, Powell. Well, Sergeant al Powell was correct. So you know what, we'll definitely always, you know, believe Sergeant al Powell before we'll believe Deputy Dwayne.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: So anyway, Paul Gleeson was that actor. But you heard from Joe spotted there in that last segment talking about why he was able to stay calm all season, and that is something that I believe all throughout the year was a huge reason why the Astros were able to ultimately have the success they had this season, because you've seen it numerous times and again, like I said, even from experience managers, you see them kind of let their emotions get the best of them and say, yeah, you know what, it's time to do the nuclear option. It's time to start calling out jose L two Bay. It's time to start calling out Kyle Tucker and Jordan Alvarez and whoever else it might be, because we need hits with runners in the scoring position and you guys ain't doing it. And he declined to do that every single turn this season. It was every single time either take the blame himself or to also too as well, say hey, you've got other guys on the other side of the field that are pretty good players as well. Those guys are pretty good pitchers, so let's give them credit and let's not put the blame on our guys. That was huge, and that's something that even with a veteran laden team like the Astros have, you could very easily ruffle a lot of feathers in there. Because let's also take it from the perspective of the context, given where it's if you're a former player doing that, then I think guys are probably willing to listen to it a little bit more. But Joe's not. Joe is a guy that's a baseball lifer. He cut his teeth in the minor leagues. He had been a bench coach, he had pretty much had every single job at the major league level possible, and now he finally got his chance to be a manager. And it's also too that sometimes you don't get the chance other than once to be able to learn from your mistakes. Some managers do. I mean, we've seen some guys get fired and then have success elsewhere. Terry Francona one of those guys. Joe Tory another one of those guys. He had two chances somewhere else and finally got his chance. So with the Yankees, and you can talk about, oh, well, look at all the players he had, Well, he could have also messed that up as well, so that needs to be factored into the equation as well. But in this case with Joe Espada, I mean, you know, to have the perspective that he laid out of the support he gets from not only from Dana Brown but also from Jim Crane as well, but also the player that he has on his side, and trying to be able to work with those guys and being able to let them work. That's something that sometimes as a first time manager, you'll see the guy who goes the opposite route of that of well, these guys have created these expectations. They know what the standard is here, and they're not living up to it, so I need to remind them of it. He declined to do that, and I think all in all, you know, taking the long road and taking the you know, bigger picture approach here, he decided that it's best to go ahead and you know, have those guys backs no matter the situation, and make sure that they know that they're supported. Just like as he laid out, he is supported on his side, because we've seen other examples before. I mean, you know, let's just take Gabe Kapler for example. He's had two different chances at being a manager, and he has been let go from both of those opportunities. When I was in Atlanta, Walt Weisse, who was once the manager of the Colorado Rockies, he had talked about at least once that I can remember, of learning so much from Brian Snicker in terms of how to take the everyday approach of no matter how good it is, no matter how bad it is, just be the same guy. They'll respect you for it, trust me, they will. And he had talked about he made mistakes at doing that when he was in Colorado, and he said if he got another opportunity that he would be a totally different manager and he would handle it a totally different way. Because you know, it's also to certain guys. I mean, baseball is the ultimate the individual matters game of You have certain guys that can deal with having a boot put to their backside. You also have certain guys that they respond to having an arm put around their shoulder, and those are things as a manager you have to be able to take inventory of that you can't have a one size fits all approach to everybody. You've got to be able to handle your players the way that I mean that they are accustomed and comfortable being handled. And if you don't, then the result might not follow the way that you want him to. And for Walt Weiss in that scenario, it didn't. It landed him out of a job because, yeah, he would do the callouts, he would do the you know, I'm pissed off after this loss and and you know, calling out players at nauseam and doing all those different types of things that for certain guys can kind of really turn them the opposite direction of them saying I'm not fighting for this guy.
Speaker 5: You kidding me? And Joe Spotted did none of those things.
Speaker 4: I mean, he completely stayed the course all season long.
Speaker 5: And it was funny too.
Speaker 4: We had Chandler Rome once on the A team and he said that he had joked with Brian McTaggart of this is the day that Joe's going to snap.
Speaker 5: This is the day he's gonna snap.
Speaker 4: He's going to freak out, he's gonna get angry, he's gonna do all those different types of things.
Speaker 5: And to Chandler's words, and he's right. He never did.
Speaker 4: I mean he every single time if they had left, you know, ten runners on base and they were zero for eight with runners in scoring position, he would come out and say, hey, we just didn't get the hit. You know, that's baseball. That happens sometimes. And of course people like me did not like that. But it's also too he understands because he's in that clubhouse, he has to face those guys on a daily basis, and I think his thought process at that time is why take a you know, short term win, and social media probably says, yeah, Joe, you call out jose L two base for striking out looking with runners on second and third and one out, you call out Jordan Alvarez for grinding into that double play right there, Absolutely you do that. But he said, no, you know what, because I know who these guys are and I know what they're capable of, and I'll take the long term right here of maybe we don't win right there, but as the law of averages work out in baseball, you'll get another chance, and maybe you'll get another chance after that. And it's it's about what you do in that spot as opposed to what you didn't do in the first spot when again, you know it precipitated, maybe a call out is necessary at that point, but he never did, and that was huge, and that was something that I definitely want to share with y'all here on Space City Saturday.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 4: Didn't get a chance to get to the Alex Bregman topic. We'll do that coming up on the other side. And we'll also as well get into what is the key for the Astros starting on Tuesday in the wild card round because the Astros making a run. It's pretty simple. It's these guys cannot be left behind. We'll talk about that on the other side, and also too, if you want to weigh in on the phone lines, you can do so some one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's Semon one three two on two five seven nineties. We continue to roll along here on Space City Saturday.
Speaker 1: Space City Saturday continues on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: On Space City Saturday.
Speaker 4: Dan Matthews here with you for about another hour and fifteen minutes. You want to weigh in, do so someone three two one two five seven ninety. And of course Space City Saturday not complete without the People's champ Paul Wall. He was in the building on Tuesday night for Clinch Day, as he had even said that he knocked his popcorn over on Slim Thug and bun Bee as well, so everybody was excited. I think he said he knocked his popcorn over after the Jason Hayward to run Homer, which of course was the difference in the game. So Jason Hayward what in addition to this team. He has been huge, no doubt about it for the Strows and hopefully he is able to continue to.
Speaker 5: Be huge for this team moving forward.
Speaker 4: Again, if you want to weigh in, do so sub one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's sub one three two one two five seven nine zero is the way to get in. And before I get to who's important to this Astros potential run in the postseason, wan't to spend a few minutes on Alex Bregman. So Bregman the other day getting the curtain call on the field and the belief fourth inning, I think is he got a couple of at bats in that Wednesday game against the Mariners, and you know he was able to tip the cap to the fans, take it off and you know, be able to walk off the field and had players coming up to him and slapping him on the back. You know, hey, great job, all those different types of things, and a lot of people took that to mean that that is the end of Alex Bregman, and an Astros uni Joe a Spot of course, talked about it and said, well, look, I mean, even if it is, it's not like we're never going to see him again. But not only that, it doesn't mean that that's the end. But I do appreciate his thought process on it of if indeed it could be the end, why missed the opportunity to give him that chance? Because Alex Bregman has been every step of the way for the Golden era of Astros Baseball, this organization that has never seen any type of success like he has been a huge part of these last seven plus years that the Astros have been on this run of making it at least to the Alcs and a couple of times winning the World Series. So when you have a guy that was so huge in the build of this organization and was kind of I think the final part of the build because we knew that George Springer was coming, we knew that that Carlos Koream was going to be here and they were already here, and Jose al Tuve before them as well, and Alex Bregman I think was kind of that final piece. I think probably when Jeff Luno drafted him, he probably thought to himself, this is a guy that's a college player that could be up here soon enough and also be ready sooner than later.
Speaker 5: And he was and he was ready to go.
Speaker 4: And sixteen struggled a little bit, but then seventeen was able to be a huge part of that team winning the World Series, and you know, has been able to put together almost MVP seasons in between and has always been an elite defender over there at third base. So I mean he's been able to provide all of those things for this team. And after the season, once he goes to free agency, it's kind of all bets are off. I mean, are they able to be able to to, you know, bring him back or is he going to take the money from someone else. So I think all of that kind of come in, you know, came into play when it came to Bregman. But in regards to Bregman himself, you know, talking about this a little bit with Ross and also with Gordy and talked about a little bit on air those guys did about just how he's approached everything. I mean, the other night there is the Clubhouse celebration, and I think Gordy made the comment of, you know, he was almost kind of stoic in terms of his responses. I mean, we've seen a guy in the past that had been pretty free with his words in terms of, you know, in certain cases, being pretty bashful, but not only that, also to really enjoying it. And not to say that he wasn't enjoying it, but I think that Bregman kind of you know, he knows that anytime a microphone is put in front of him, the question of his impending free agency is going to be asked. And also too as well. I mean, you heard the comments that he said after the curtain call in that game, saying I didn't know it was coming. And also too, you know, just kind of trying to keep the emotions out of it right now and trying to make sure that that's not the focus. The focus is on this team trying to accomplish the goal that they've done twice before and being able to do that with this team and then worry about everything else a little bit later. I take it a little bit of a different step. Remember once the twenty nineteen World Series ended and Garrett Cole and you know, at first had declined to talk, and then I think the media in there. Again, I wasn't here at the time, but you know, I'm just going off of secondhand accounts of what I was told that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Of course, they went to the Astros and were like, hey, look, he might not be here next year.
Speaker 5: We want to be able to talk to him, like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I feel like he needs to to talk with us and kind of address all of that. And finally, you know, that was when Garrett Cole put on the Boris core pat and called himself a representative of himself at that point, and people took that to mean, oh, so you're already mentally out of here?
Speaker 5: Is that what it is?
Speaker 4: And of course then he went on to sign with the hated Yankees, which I think we all knew eventually he was going to do. But still it was not a good feeling to not only lose the World Series but then also too seemingly have somebody who was just so over being an astro, they were ready to go. Bregman would never do that. But I think that kind of his approach right now is to completely avoid being anywhere close to being thought of in that same way. And that's why he's shutting down the free agency talks, That's why he's shutting down anything else in immediately saying but I'm focused on right now, I'm not worried about that all of these different types of things, And I think that probably a huge part of that. Again, I've talked about it before the Room of Truth that if you put Bregman in the Room of Truth and asked him, hey, is it because of what happened with Garrett Cole, I think he'd probably tell you, yeah, it is, honestly because we saw how people reacted towards him when he acted that way.
Speaker 5: I don't want to be remembered that way.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be remembered if indeed I am with the Cubs, with the Diamondbacks or with the Red Sox or whoever it is next year that I come back here and you know those turn into booze. I mean, I think that as currently the way it is right now. If Alex Bregman signs with somebody else, it's going to hurt, it's not going to feel good. But I don't think you're going to have fans booing him, you know, full throats in that case because of you know, the way that he either acted or you know, didn't act during this time. I think that if he continues down this path and he has a good postseason, he'll be remembered fondly. And we've seen at different places. I mean, the second time that Lebron left Cleveland, he came back to Cheers instead of Booze because again, he did it the right way. He helped them win a world title, and when he left, it was I've accomplished everything I needed to accomplish here. And I think that, you know, Cavalier fans at the point we're at the time, we're kind of like, Okay, you know what, you're not wrong. You did, We appreciate it. Go kill it in LA and when you come back here, you're always going to be welcome back here in Cleveland, as opposed to when he publicized his breakup the first time and did the whole decision with Jim Gray and then went to Miami, and you know, they had the huge celebration there, and it was almost kind of like, you know, oh, you think you're really really better than us. Okay, that's cool, Thanks buddy. We really appreciate you saying that not only are we ugly, but also to your new partner is incredibly good looking, and that you know, there's so much better than I ever was. Nobody ever wants to hear that in the breakup. I mean, I think kind of the similar deal as well, you know, the you know, the team that I used to cover the Braves. It was a similar situation in regards to Bregman, and hopefully it is kind of a similar ending because remember when Freddie Freeman hit that home run that I think at the time it was Joe Buck who was on the call saying that might be the final home run that he hits in a Braves uniform, And of course fans there did not like hearing that at that point, but eventually he was right because then after the lockout lifted, they went out and traded for Matt Olsen and extended him, and Freddie Freeman was with the Dodgers and he came back very emotional, and you know, I'm not saying that when Bregman comes back, he's going to be incredibly emotional. But I think also too as well, that you know, you want to be able to not burn any bridges whatsoever. And he loves this organization, he loves this city, and he loves everything that he's been able to do during his time here.
Speaker 5: And you know, there's no need.
Speaker 4: To have a messy exit if you can avoid it, And that's what I think he's trying to avoid at all costs, really deep down when it's all said and done, because I think that Alex Bregman would like to stay here, if I'm being honest. I mean, that's just the sense that I get. I think that if it worked out, he would absolutely want to come back to the Astros. But I think also too as well, he's a guy that realizes he's on the cusp of getting the last huge payday that he's going to be able to get in this game. And if you don't take every advantage of doing that, then you kind of have some regrets when it's all said and done. And I know that some people out there might say, oh, how much money do you really need? Well, I mean that's for him to decide it's not for any of us to decide. I mean, it's kind of like us in our professional lives. I mean, you could take a job with somebody else, and you know it is going to slight somebody out there because they really want you to stay with a company. But I think that if you can look that person in the eye and say I'm doing what's best for me, and you say it with conviction, then they probably look at you and say, I respect that, I understand that. And in this case right here with Bregman, I think that's kind of what he's setting himself up for. So we'll see how it all shakes out when it's all said and done. I usually only keep the astros to one segment, but the topic, the topic B that I teased for this segment didn't have a chance to get to it here, so we'll do that on the other side, as well as get into some Texans conversation. If you want to weigh in on the astros, you can do so seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's seven one three two one two seven ninety. As also to in the second hour, we'll get into some Texans conversation as we continue to roll along here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday. On Sports Talk seven ninety, Dad Matthews Live and local h Town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here.
Speaker 3: We love you all, So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start now bear me the eight.
Speaker 3: This is Space City Saturday. That's insane. Here's seven nineties Dad Matthews.
Speaker 4: Indeed, it is Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you for another hour. You want to weigh in, do so someone three two one two five seven ninety once again, that's Sebon one three two one two five seven nine zero as the Astros again today taking on the Cleveland Guardians. Gonna be Justin Berlander against Ben Lively. First pitch five to ten. Coming your way again over on news Radio seven forty KTRH. Everything Astros related today gonna be over on news Radio seven forty KTRH because the Astros are right at the same time that the Texas in Mississippi State game is going to be finishing up.
Speaker 5: And before I.
Speaker 4: Get into my final Astros topic right here, another team that we have here on the airwaves is the LSU Tigers. And I'm sure that last week some of you either were watching or paying some what attention. But if you weren't paying too close of attention to that game, LSU taken on UCLA.
Speaker 5: They win the game.
Speaker 4: But what the storyline kind of became was the fans that had left the game, especially on the east side of the stadium, because of the incredibly strong heat that was there at Tiger Stadium for the game. I believe they showed ninety seven degrees with one hundred percent humidity at kickoff there for that two thirty kick against UCLA. And eventually you had fans who said, I can't do this anymore. I cannot stay for this. I have to leave. I'm going to go back to the tailgate or I'm going to go home watch the rest of it. But I mean, it's just this is too much. And you know, I know some people might say, oh, well, hydrate, do all those different types of things look you're in a concrete structure like that, with metal benches and hundreds of thousands of people around you, that heat really becomes overwhelming at a certain point. And I did not know this until it was brought up to Brian Kelly that in Air, Arizona they have a law that in the month of September, you cannot start a game before six o'clock, which I mean. I also took to social media on top of that and it said, I think that needs to be adopted by states in the golf region Texas, Louisiana, especially Southern Louisiana. Melvin Brown, you know that from growing up in the area that just like Houston, the heat and humidity it is relentless, especially in the month of September. Mississippi even too, you know, for Lower Alabama right there, Mobile Southern you know, South Alabama.
Speaker 5: I don't know how they handle their games. Florida.
Speaker 4: I would probably do the same thing as well, because, I mean football, you think about it, it's a physical game. It's also to a game that you wear a lot more equipment than other sports. I mean baseball. You know, catchers probably are pretty close to football players in terms of the pads the helmets, everything else of the sort. So you've got to make sure that you're trying to keep yourself as cool and hydrated as possible to be able to, you know, be able to stay healthy and finish out those games. I mean, we see cramps this time of the year, all those different types of things.
Speaker 5: But it's also too as well.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I understand that you can't be able to try to, you know, look out for the well being of everyone out there. Some of that is up to you personally, but I mean, there's zero reason for that game to be played at two thirty on a Saturday, I mean, especially to when you factor in how hot it is this time of the year. You can very easily have that game played at seven o'clock or you know, even a little bit later as well, if you want to, because I mean, I just, I just I shudder to think of, you know, the type of dangerous game that you're playing when it comes to dealing with those type of temperatures with not only players, coaches, trainers, whoever it might be, but fans as well, that eventually you're going to have somebody succume to heat stroke. And when that happened, and then you're dealing with other legal issues that again, I just I feel like some of these schools and also too.
Speaker 5: I mean the network. I know the game was on ABC.
Speaker 4: There's zero reason why that game can't can't be played later and you can have I don't know, you know, South Carolina playing at that time or anybody else playing at that time, as opposed to a team that is right there on the Mississippi River in southern Louisiana where the heat and humidity is unreal that time of day. So I think you can you can have the better part of valor at that point. I mean LSU, for example, taken on South Alabama tonight in that game is gonna be at six forty five, so it'll be a little cooler. But two at the same time, just don't really understand having to say, oh no, no, no, no, this game has to be played right now. I just I think that you're running into risks and issues that just don't need to be there. So that's just me on that front. To close out the ASTRA topic right here, one of the things that has been a little bit of a point of frustration and contention this year for the Astros has been runners in scoring position, and the Astros, with two more games left in this regular season, are thirteenth and all of baseball hitting with runners in scoring position, they're batting two sixty nine this season with a seven to fifty six OPS.
Speaker 5: So middle of the pack. Not bad.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've got the Diamondbacks of the best in baseball, the Yankees are fourth, got the Dodgers who are seventh, and the Astros of the postseason teams still left out there are you know, a little bit further behind those teams. I mean, got Arizona hit in two eighty four in those spots. I mean, they've been outstanding this season. So I just think that that's number one of a thing that hopefully, with the flip to the postseason, it's going to be kind of a little bit of a mental reset of, Hey, that happened. We don't have to have that happen in the postseason. We are we are now, we were who we were then, And I think that that's kind of a little bit of a switch that needs to happen. But also too as well. I brought up the stats of last night as encouraging things to see from this team, because these are things that we want to see the Astros be able to have going forward. I mean, a couple of doubles last night for jose al Tuve. I've said it numerous times, jose L Tuove is a lot like Craig Biggio in that fact, where what was Bigio known for him?
Speaker 5: He was known for the two baggers, he was known for doubles.
Speaker 4: If he's hitting doubles and you know that Craig Bigio is swinging it well, Jose al Tuve the same deal. You love to see the home runs, you love to see just the base hits in Moss, but you'd love to see it even more so. I think in this case right here, seeing that last night out of jose L Twovy, that was huge. You're gonna need jose al Tuova in the postseason. He's going to be a guy that has to factor for this team. We'll see what we get out of Jordan Alvarez. But Kyle Tucker, I mean last year he struggled in the postseason. Probably Kyle Tucker's struggles were a huge reason why this team did not move on to the.
Speaker 5: World Series last year.
Speaker 4: Now, on the surface, you hear that and you hear me kind of putting the Astros losing in seven games to the Rangers on the shoulders of Kyle Tucker. No, it's not fully on him. Other guys also needed to help out as well in terms of getting a huge clutch hit to be able to win at home, but him being a non factor definitely hurt the Astros last year, So you would love to see hopefully he's a little bit more fresh from being out for the time that he's been out and now has an opportunity to be able to be a huge part of what the Astros want to be in terms of getting back to the World Series and hopefully winning it the World Series. And last night, three hits out of him, you love to see that. Three hits out of Alex Bregman, you love to see that as well. Janar Diaz even able to chip in with a base hit last night, and then Victor Carrottini of course the home run. You love seeing that, especially after the struggles that he's been going through as of late. The strikeouts have kind of gone up for Victor Kartini, but you'd love for him to be able to help out and he's kind of become an everyday player at this point, especially while Jordan Alvarez is out, you want to get somebody in there that can be able to put the ball on play, but not only put the ball in play, can be able to have huge results when they do. So you've got a runner on second and third. He's able to put a single out in the center field. That's two runs right there. That's huge.
Speaker 5: Two runs.
Speaker 4: That's a massive rally in the postseason, and if you're able to get that out of him, that's huge. So I've said it numerous times, and I know that you know it's one of those that you know, some people might say I'm obsessed in bringing up this point when it comes to the Astros, But yeah, call me obsessed. I would actually say that I'm committed in terms of saying what is needed for this team because those guys have to be what pushes this team forward. You've seen it numerous times when Jose Altuve, when Kyle Tucker, when Alex Bregman, when Jiner Diaz, when they are hitting the baseball and they are able to be the guys that we know that they're capable of being. I think he translates to the rest of the lineup. I think that's why you see production out of the bottom of the order. I mean, you'd love to see Jake Myers get going a little bit. I know that he struck out a couple of times last night. That's been a little bit of an issue for him as of late. Jeremy Pania, maybe these couple of days off are kind of the mental reset that he needed, and you know, maybe he's been able to work on some things off to the side in terms of, you know, pitch selection and what to offer at and you know, for the longest time, it was the outside slider was kind of his kryptonite. Well, seemingly it's been the inside fastball, well off the plate that's been his kryptonite. It's what ended the game against the Angels the other day, and he also struck out on a similar pitch against the Mariners in that last series. So I think he's somebody that Joe Aspotta looked at and said, yeah, need to have a little bit of time off for him to be able to try to be fresh and be a guy that we can count on in the postseason. But it starts with the top. It starts with the top guys. If they are going and they are swinging it well and they are able to produce for this team, then I think good things happen. I think not only good things happen in the Wildcard Series, but I think also too in the DS. Again, if you take on the Cleveland Guardians, I think the Astros feel like they match up pretty well against Cleveland, and then you move on to the LCS and whoever you've got in in that round, and you know, feel like you've got a good chance against them, because I mean, you know, it's one of those things. I know that the Yankees probably really want to see the Astros because of what the Astros have done to them in at least three lcs's against them, and also to the Wildcard back in twenty fifteen. But also too as well, I think you're seeing teams that are trending in totally different directions. The Astros are not the same team they were when they lost the Yankees early on in the season, and then when they face them up in the Bronx about a month or two later, they're a completely different ball club. I mean, you know, they are a team that is hitting the ball better, They're pitching so much better, they're healthier on the pitching side than they were at those times. And also too, this is a Yankees bullpen at the beginning of the season was outstanding and it's kind of fallen off. It's kind kind have become a little bit of a liability for Aaron Boone's team. So I think that's one of those that if you're in those situations, the Astros fuel even more confident facing that group. You know, Chad Holmes and and you know other guys that come out of the bullpen for the Yankees that you know in the past they probably were like, man, I hope we can get to them. Now I think they kind of feel like, no, we can get to them, and we will get to them. So I don't think that there is this fear of the Yankees whatsoever. I think if the Astros seam of the postseason, they're like, hey, we've handled these guys in the past. We can do it again, And I think that it would be a very advantageous matchup. But again, you got to get through so much more before you can get to that point, and hopefully the Astros can get there all right. Coming out next, let's get into some Texans conversation because Demiko Ryans got to prove a point that he's been trying to prove. Tomorrow will be proof if indeed he has been heard. We'll talk about that on the other side as we continue to roll along here on Base City Saturday. Dan Matthews, you're on your home of the Astros in the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: It's Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven nineteen.
Speaker 4: Come on, not wrong LL backing up the Astros in this regard. I'm sure he's a Dodgers guy. That's all right, we won't hold it against him. But anyway, Astros and Guardians today again, I mean, look, you know, these are games that I think you're looking at if you're an Astros fan of the result doesn't necessarily matter because the result really doesn't matter. You're going to be here on Tuesday regardless. You're going to be in the wildcard round on Tuesday regardless. So in that case, I mean, I think that you're kind of just looking at it as don't get people hurt, and that's what you're hoping is the case for the Shrows. So again, it's gonna be justin Berlander and it's been lively coming your way at five to ten is first pitch. Four o'clock is Astros on deck again with Longhorn Football here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We'll be over on news Radio seven forty KTRH coming your way for the game and both on deck and the tenth inning show for that all right, coming up right now. I wanted to get into some Texans conversation as the Texans bring in the O and three Jacksonville Jaguars tomorrow over at NRG Stadium, and the ask excuse me the Texans coming off a tough loss last week to the Minnesota Vikings, not fun whatsoever. This was a Texans team that would you say was playing good football in the first couple of weeks of the season. As I said in the first segment, they weren't. I mean the team that, if you're being honest with yourself, you could look at and say, man, they were lucky to win both of those games. They were a Joe Mixon performance away from starting off the season oh to one on the road against Indianapolis, a game that I thought possibly they were going to lose, but they ended up not losing it, so that was nice to see. And the following week against a rookie quarterback in Caleb Williams. You were lucky enough to be able to win that game. So you're two to zero after the entire offseason of being told that this is a Super Bowl contender and that this team is going to be prib you know, prime to you know, win you know a lot in this season. I just talked about, you know, the possibility of being able to play for and maybe win a Lombardy but also too for the first time in their franchise history, make the AFC Championship Game.
Speaker 5: So what do we call all that?
Speaker 4: Well, a few years ago, remember Nick Saban said it's called rat poison, and Demiko Ryans, being a good Alabama man that he is, I think he's kind of subscribed a little bit too. Don't take the rat poison, don't take the cheese. It's got that poison in there. So Demiko Ryans asked this week about said rat poison and wondering is that a reason why they lost to Minnesota last week?
Speaker 7: Last week, we didn't play well at the end of the day, That's that's all it came down to. We didn't play well. We had some good moments where we executed, made some nice plays, but they were negated by us.
Speaker 5: So it's very hard to win.
Speaker 7: Again, when you got the Texans and the Vikings playing against the Texas, that's pretty hard to win that game. So once we get the Texans out of the way and we just go focus on our opponent and we handle us well and we'll be just fine.
Speaker 4: So I mean, it's one of those things that Demiko Ryan's in an outward way, because we talked about this all the time. I think I've mentioned this to y'all before that coaches will talk to their team through the media, and in this case, I think that probably the message has been from Demiko to his players in not a contentious way, but at least the way of, hey, I played in this league. I know what it takes to win in this league, and what you did and what you've been doing is not the way that you do that in this league. And it's kind of a do you believe me now to his players because we've also heard from others not only in the building, you know, on the team as players or coaches, but remember Nick Casserio at the combine this year, he had talked about, hey, you know, we did a lot of great things. Last year, we also won a lot of really close games, and we can't count on that result being the same this season. So everybody just believing that we're going to you know, move ahead and going to be, you know, the the champions of the NFL just because of what we did last year.
Speaker 5: That's not how this league works.
Speaker 4: I mean, one year's success does not translate to the next. And I think that, you know, it's a little bit of kind of battling through that right now, because human nature does come in. I don't think that you have Texans players out there saying, oh, we're good, don't worry about it, it'll get figured out. I think they are trying to work towards getting to that point.
Speaker 5: And c J.
Speaker 4: Stroud even talked about it as much this week, I mean in a ridiculous way. He was asked about the confidence in Bobby Slowik and he was like, no, of course, we still have confidence in Bobby Slok.
Speaker 5: And here's the other part of it as well.
Speaker 4: Usually your offense is not what it's supposed to be until about week five, five for week six. So yeah, there's some disjointedness right now in our offense. But it doesn't mean that's who we are as a team, and it doesn't mean that's going to be who we are going forward. But you heard Dimiko talk about it as well. You don't want the Texans playing against the Texans while trying to play against the Vikings, and that's what they were. Because the pre snap penalties were the ones that definitely get most of the notoriety in terms of what he's talking about, and a lot of the people want to put that blame on Laramie Tunsel and on Titus Howard. I mean so much to the point that Titus Howard said, Hey, Twitter, I don't need you anymore. I'm deactivating my account. I just don't even need to worry about it anymore. But in terms of the pre snap penalties, especially on the offensive side of the ball, Tamika Ryans talked about hammering down on set issues.
Speaker 5: The pre snap definitely has been addressed.
Speaker 7: Again. We spend time on that, talked about it, we addressed it, and well we see on Sunday that has been addressed and we'll handle our handle it really way. Offensive line had a great day of work today. Everybody's dowt in. Everybody understands who we are what we're about and what is going to take for us to get back on track, and that's what we're.
Speaker 4: Focused on, all right. A couple of things right there from what Demiko just talked about. I mean, yes, I mean, you know, you've got Laramie Tunzell, who I get it too as well. Tunsill kind of brings some of this on himself of I mean, you know, coming into the league where he dropped in the draft because of that video that surfaced, but also too as well. I mean I think that he's kind of thought of as a guy that he could do a little bit more in terms of his career. And I think that fans whenever things like this happen, they point to those things. Well, maybe if you're in training camp on the field, some of these things are not an issue for you right now. And maybe if you're putting in the work that way and you're practicing during the week and all of these different types of things that go into what we think is a winning formula for a player to you know, be able to perform the way that we hope they can, especially when they're making the type of money that Tunsil is on Sundays and yeah, when he does have the false starts or he does have the illegal formation or whatever it might be, that people look at him and say, dude, you've got to be better than that. Like you're supposed to be one of the best in the league. Well, then play like one of the best in the league. And when you don't, we're gonna let you know that you don't. Kind of like what we're talking about with the Astros, when jose Al Tuv and those guys are not hitting, then we of course circle in on them because we expect those guys to hit. It's the same deal with Larry Tunsel in that regard. But I think the final part of it is it's going to be proof positive tomorrow. Are these messages being heard by the players. Are they being heard in terms of, hey, guess what, because I think that we'd even heard Dimiko say it. But you know, maybe I'm kind of paraphrasing here of what we just did to win a game could get us to lose a game later on in the season. And in certain cases, I think that players and people are just willing to, you know, not willing to listen to criticism when things go their way, as opposed to win, you know, things don't go their way because when you lose, then obviously you're saying, Okay, clearly we did a lot of things wrong. And if we did a lot of things wrong, then we need to be able to fix those issues because otherwise we're going to be on the losing end a lot more than we're going to be on the winning end. And I think that's something that will need to be looked at. Tomorrow. We'll see if Joe Mixon plays in the game. I know he practiced on a limited basis yesterday. I would think that if you practice in the game that they feel pretty good about being able to throw him out there on Sunday. So I expect Joe Mixon to be able to go. But it's also too as well the offensive line. I think it's a little bit of a gut check of what happened last week and now you you know, need to make sure that you're able to you know, have those things you know kind of you know short up, so this week it can go a lot better for you against a team who badly needs a win.
Speaker 5: And speaking of.
Speaker 4: The Jacksonville Jaguars, will actually transition into hearing about them next because what kind of team is coming in the face of Texans tomorrow. My good buddy Ryan Hacker Green joined us from the A Team earlier this week. You'll have a chance to hear from him next right here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Space City Saturday. On Sports Talk seven ninety Space City Saturday.
Speaker 4: A couple more segments to go here on this Saturday on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety Dan Matthews here with you Astros in the first hour, mostly Texans. In this hour and tomorrow we are focused on the matchup happening over at NRG Stadium. The winless Jacksonville Jaguars are in town the take on the two and one Houston Texans. Both teams really looking for a win this week. The Jags, as previously laid out, really looking for one this week. And earlier this week on the A Team, we had a chance to catch up with my good buddy, Ryan Hacker Green from ten ten XL there in Jacksonville. The conversation got started with what does the number three h five mean to the Jags?
Speaker 8: Three hundred and five is the number of days it's been since Trevor Lawrence won a football game as the starter.
Speaker 9: Ironically enough, it was in Houston last season.
Speaker 10: Trevor Lawrence eight starts, eight losses since that day, including all three this season. Our listeners here in Houston know that I once thought he was going to be very good. I gave him all the benefit of the doubt for having to be the quarterback during the Urban Meyer era and everything that went along with that team had no chance to win because they were led by someone who's not capable of coaching an NFL football team. But it's been very easy for me to say, no, it's on Trevor Lawrence. Trevor Lawrence is not a good NFL quarterback. Proved otherwise. Trevor, what have you seen over those last eight games these several seasons with Doug Peterson? Are things where they are with Trevor and the offense and the team?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Look, I think that's fair. And that's what the Jaguars earned. On Monday night when they went out and fled out, embarrassed themselves on national TV.
Speaker 9: I mean that was a disgraceful performance.
Speaker 8: And believe me, all our shows on ten ten xcel all week long, I had to stay up to do a twelve thirty to two thirty in the morning postgame show after that nonsense, So I was pretty fired up, as you can imagine.
Speaker 9: Why hasn't it worked out? Well, There's a.
Speaker 8: Lot of reasons, and I'll try to be brief. The offensive line hasn't been very good. They can't run the ball, and because they can't run the ball, obviously teams don't fear the run, so they can put guys back in pass coverage. The wide receivers have been okay. Christian Kirk has been bad the first two games. He was actually all right on Monday Night football. Evan Ingram's injured. Their Pro Bowl tight end is hurt and has missed of the last two games. And Trevor just quite frankly, has lost a lot of his confidence. I think when he's getting teed off on by opposing the lines, and there's some questions about the play calling with Doug Peterson and Press Taylor. It is becoming a soap oper here, guys. I mean, that's the bottom line. When he was forty seven to ten, the fashion the Jaguars did on Monday Night, We're looking for answers to a lot of questions and we don't have a lot of answers right now.
Speaker 10: Humor me briefly, since you brought up the additional coverage you had late that night after the game, you had a former player Leon Searsly and a former coach, Dave Campbo, both in the NFL at this level with you. What were their thoughts on what they saw that night and in general for this one and three football team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Leon, I think he used the term disgraceful. It was an embarrassment. I mean, all the verbids you would imagine. Coach Campo tries to be a little more stipil than Leon and I were, but at one in the morning we kind of teed off, so we really didn't care.
Speaker 5: But coach just.
Speaker 8: Said, look, it looks like a team that's lost, a team that has no direction. And there are questions about Doug Peterson. Now, I mean, the bottom line is they've lost what eight out of nine going back to last season. Doug Peterson is an under five hundred coach. Now in forty regular season games here in Jacksonville, it is not good, and that's an understatement. There were expectations coming in. I think most of us picked Houston to win the division. But I thought most of us also picked jacksonvie'll be second and be competitive and right now being one of the three zero to three teams. After you extended, Trevor Lawrence extended Joshua Hinz, Allen Tyson, Campbell Foyer looking got contract extensions as well.
Speaker 9: The owners fed up. The owner's angry.
Speaker 8: There's reports that the owner was the angriest shot Con was the angriest he's been in his time as Jackuar owner watching what he watched on Monday night. So clearly the hot seat talk has really been ratcheted up here in Jacksonville this week.
Speaker 9: When it comes to Doug Peterson.
Speaker 11: We're talking to Ryan Hacker Green of ten ten XL Radio in Jacksonville, and yeah, I mean I can imagine because we kind of if you're in Houston, we went through not the same scenario because Sean Watson wanting to be out of Houston and then everything else that came from a legal standpoint that just right on the heels of that, it was unlike anything I've ever seen anywhere. But you know, when a quarterback, I don't want to say lose his favor because I don't know if that's happened in Jacksonville yet, but I was talking with Wex about this just earlier this week. He was the latest once in a generation guy at the top of the draft, and you had every reason to believe early on he would be that guy.
Speaker 5: Is it worse obviously.
Speaker 11: Because of the contract they just gave and how much of that is similar to what might be going on in Dallas, where you know the alternative is to basically blow it up, so you either have to pay the guy who might not be the guy or go that route.
Speaker 5: Do you think that applies in Jacksonville?
Speaker 9: Well, I think a couple of things, Adam. When it comes to Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 8: Number one, he's not as bad as he's looked the first three games. That goes back to what I said about his confidence. I also think, you know, you brought up the contract.
Speaker 9: That's a lot to live up to, man, fifty five.
Speaker 8: Million dollars a year. I think he's out there pressing a little bit. You know, we've watched the all twenty two of the last three games. He's trying to do things that quite frankly, he shouldn't be doing. He's not taking the eight yard sure thing, and you know the down and out on the sideline, he's trying to go to the twenty five yard you know go route.
Speaker 9: He's airmailing the ball.
Speaker 8: Brian Thomas Junior was wide open on that interception that DeMar Hamlin had Monday night.
Speaker 9: That's a terrible throw. There's no defense for that.
Speaker 8: But that's also a throw that Trevor makes ninety nine percent of the time. So I know what it looks like now is absolute garbage. And I get that Trevor is better than what he's shown the last three games. Having said that, the generational talk that to me was nonsense from the beginning. There's one generational guy and he resides in Kansas City and until somebody beats him. I don't want to talk about any other current quarterback being generational because Mahomes is the only one. I still think Trevor potentially could be very good, but I do think he is trying to live up to that contract. There's a confidence in issue. Particularly there's an issue with the play calling between oc Press Taylor and head coach Doug Peterson. Again, a lot more questions than we have answers, but they're saying all the right things this week. I'll be very interested to see. Look, if they're ever going to have our backs against the wall, if they're ever going to have a look yourself in the mirror moment, it'll be this Sunday in Houston after getting slat out, humiliated on national television. So I'm very curious to see how the fifty five million dollar man, Trevor Lawrence responds to that criticism this Sunday out there in Houston.
Speaker 11: Well, it leads me to the next obvious question, because while I think it's a little bit different since you guys are in the division as the Texans, so maybe that that kind of shade your answer a little bit more than it would if it was just another market that's not in the AFC South, What do you think of CJ.
Speaker 5: Stroud?
Speaker 11: And also that needs to include the first three games of this season, where I don't think he's overwhelmed anybody from an expectation into this season, especially standpoint, because we heard that kind of talk, Well, this is a guy that could be the closest thing to Mahomes. I agree with you wholeheartedly that there's only one guy like that until there isn't. But what do you think right now through three weeks at the twenty twenty four NFL season of a CJ.
Speaker 5: Stroud.
Speaker 9: I know we hate Carolina for taking Bryce. Yeah, I can tell you that much.
Speaker 8: We talk about that all the time. Carolina is on our naughty list, no question about it.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 9: CJ.
Speaker 8: Child is a good player, man. I mean he came in here his rookie year. I think it was Week three last year. And aside from your two hundred and sixty pounds full back returning a kickoff for a touchdown, which was interesting, Shroud had a great game in beating Jacksonville, and look, Trevor repaid the favor out there in Houston when the field goal hit the crossbar last year. Obviously, that was Trevor's last win as the starting quarterback of the Jaguars. But I think this CJ. Stroud Trevor Lawrence rivalry could be a good one for years to come. Now, what Houston has done is they went out and they got a Stefan Das, they went out and they got.
Speaker 9: A Joe Mixon. Jacksonville got Christian Kirk.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's all right, Gabe Davis, Okay, he's not Stefan Diggs. I do think though, Brian Thomas Junior is a guy that not a lot of people were talking about because the Jaguars zero and three, he and Malikue Neighbors are the only two rookie wide receivers. I believe to have at least forty five yards receiving in each of the first three games. Brian Thomas Junior is going to be a stud and I think a year, probably next year at the latest, he will be quote unquote wide receiver one here in Jacksonville. Gabe Davis will be kind of the second guy, and I'm not sure how much longer Kirk's going to be here following this season, But you need the guy, right c J. Strout has Nico Collins and now he has Stefon Diggs. Trevor needs that guy, and I think Jacksonville has finally got him that guy with Brian Thomas Junior.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Ryan, to a lesser degree. I think people here, myself included, weren't real excited about how Jacksonville manipulated the twenty twenty four draft to get assets and then also be able to draft Brian Thomas Junior.
Speaker 5: I totally agree.
Speaker 10: I think he may be a wide receiver one sooner than that, just because of the competition at the position. I just think he is a bigger, better talent than that. Just real briefly here about a minute on the other side of the football, because as much as Trevor Lawrence and the offense clearly took a while to get anything going against Buffalo, they also were giving up touchdowns every single time the Bills had the football their opponents. And that's a Deshaun Watson led team and a two lead team and now Josh Allen led team. Are there season statistics a little skewed because of what Allen did? Is this a team that you can throw the ball against with relative ease? Which is kind of what the numbers suggests.
Speaker 8: I mean, they held a healthy Miami team in Week.
Speaker 9: One to twenty points in Miami.
Speaker 8: The Cleveland only scored one touchdown on them in eighteen points.
Speaker 9: The rest were field goals.
Speaker 8: I mean, the defense was defense up until Monday nine, and Monday night was a flipping disaster.
Speaker 9: That again a.
Speaker 8: Lot more questions than answers, because we thought the defense was pretty good the first two games. They had lost those games because of the ineptitude of the offense obviously that was completely out the door on Monday with what Josh Allen did.
Speaker 9: And the defense has some injury problems.
Speaker 8: Tyson Campbell has been out for Lucan's going to miss this game potentially Devin Lloyd maybe in jeopardy because he missed practice today with a knee. So injuries are starting to pile up. But no, I mean the defense has been better than the offense. I do think it is skewed because of the Buffalo game, because again Miami and Cleveland, the defense performed a lot better in those two contests.
Speaker 5: Great stuff, Ryan, We really appreciate the time.
Speaker 10: I personally owe you one and I'll let you know on that here shortly, but we really appreciate the time joining us here. It's really good stuff you have there, both on the air as you mentioned after dark and even covering a coach Napier's team, which has also been kind of an interesting way to do things. But we certainly appreciate you joining us this afternoon.
Speaker 9: Hey fellaws, anytime, Take.
Speaker 4: Care all right, Great stuff there from a hacker. Always awesome to be able to catch up with him. If you missed any of that, download our iHeartRadio app and it is free, so you can get all of our content right there at the convenience of your device. All right, coming out next a new segment here on Space City Saturday. That'll be here during a football season. It's me hearing voices, but I'm not crazy. Well, isn't that something a crazy person would say? Well, it'll be less crazy. That's next. I'm Dan Matthews here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: We now return to Space City Saturday, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Dan Matthews back here on your home of the Astros in the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety one. Final segment to go here on Space City Saturday. Before we get into I hear voices, I need to give you a programming note. So, with the Texas and Mississippi State game coming up a little bit later on here on your home of the Longhorns in Houston, Sports Talk seven ninety, the Astros and Guardians going to be over on News Radio seven forty KTRH. I will be there for Astros on at four o'clock. Robert Ford, Steve Sparks on the call again over there on News Radio seven forty KRH and then after the game stick around with me as we will have the tenth inning show, so we will have all of that coming your way again. Four o'clock is Astros on deck five to ten is the first pitch from there at Progressive Field. It'll be Justin Verlander against Ben Lively for Cleveland. And if the Astros win today, they not only clinched this series, but they also win the season series over the Cleveland Guardians. So maybe that's something that come into play if they are able to get past the Detroit Tigers or more than likely the Kansas City Royals in the wildcard round that will be coming up starting on Tuesday. All right, without further ado, I teased it last segment, let's do.
Speaker 5: It right now.
Speaker 4: As again, I'm not crazy because I het your voices, and in this segment it is something a little bit new on the show. It's not a little bit. It is one hundred percent new on the show. As we usually hear about this during the off season, that's talking season in football. Well in this case, talking season extends into the season. And for this edition of I Hear Voices, we go for one example in the NFL and two examples on the college ranks and in the NFL. We start with the Las Vegas Rager Raiders and their head coach Antonio Pierce. So, last week, the Raiders faced a Carolina Panthers team that had made a change at quarterback. They go from Bryce Young to Andy Dalton, and Andy Dalton, the former Katie product, comes in and helps the Carolina Panthers win the game.
Speaker 5: That's not the story here.
Speaker 4: It is after the game Antonio Pierce calling out some of his players for saying, yeah, you guys were being independent contractors out there as the.
Speaker 9: Game went on. I don't think it was.
Speaker 7: I think that jeffisonon that make business decisions and we'll make business decisions going forward as well.
Speaker 4: Now, the reason I bring this up is Pierce, just like Demiko Ryans, a former player, and not only a former player, a former linebacker in the league. And his style at least, you know, I'm not around Pierce on a daily basis, but at least from what I can see from a thousand foot view, does seem like it is a little bit more in your face.
Speaker 5: I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Probably he raises his voice a little bit more at his players than Demiko seems to do.
Speaker 5: Over on Kirby.
Speaker 4: But in this case, right here, the reason why I bring this up is because, just like Tomiko, Pierce is a former player. Now again the similarities right there. Like I say with Dimiko and I talked about this a little bit earlier on. I don't think he is a ra ra in your face, yell at you type of guy. But I think if he does see somebody that's doing something wrong, pull on the side, and maybe if there is a little bit of back talk to him, his response is, well, I played for this amount of years in the NFL, so I think I kind of know what I'm talking about when I bring something like this up to you and Pierce doing the same thing right there. Antonio Pierce is a Super Bowl winner as a player. He is now a new head coach. But also though too, I think he's taking some of those leadership tactics that he used when he was a player and applying him here.
Speaker 5: And usually former players whenever.
Speaker 4: They say things like this, I'm willing to listen because if these guys knew what it takes to go out there and play every single Sunday, maybe it's a Monday night, maybe it's a Thursday night, whenever you're playing. It goes beyond that as well. It's the work in the weight room, it's the work on the practice field. It's hey, are you in the film room? Do I see you on your tablet watching film? All of those different types of things, the nutrition, it all comes together, and in this case right here, that's Antonio Pears calling out players, saying, hey, I know what success looks like in this league and what you were doing that, ain't it? So if you're going to be a member of the Las Vegas Raiders, well then I need to see you not do what you did on Sunday. And it's also too it's kind of one of those things as well that usually nowadays we seem to bristle at whenever a coach, an executive, an owner, whoever it might be, calls out effort from players. And I remembered hearing this a few years ago from Mike McCarthy, where again not a former player at least the NFL level, but a guy who talked about you got to be very careful when you're calling out effort of players. But I do think that players whenever you hear things like this coming from a guy who again has the credentials that Pierce does that it is going to be at least taken in with some constructive criticism. At that point, you're willing to listen to it is kind of what I'm saying right there. And Pierce felt like that was the button that he needed to push with his team. And after that effort again against a putred and low lead Carolina Panthers team that felt they were so bad that they had to move on from the top pick overall just a year ago in Bryce Young and go with Andy Dalton. That kind of shows you where Antonio Piers felt like he was pushed to and that is why he pushed that button to say, yeah, you're making business decisions out there, so guess what. This is a business right. We hear players say it all the time. Well, if you're gonna treat it that way, we will too. So some of you probably won't like your playing time going forward. And Antonio Peers feeling like that was the button that he needed to push with his team. Now let's go to the sec as first. We'll start in Auburn. Auburn taking on Oklahoma today, but last week they lost to Arkansas and it got so bad that they had to make a quarterback change. They had to go back to Peyton Thorn. And Hugh Freeze is a guy that I think kind of is in the same mold of a Dabo Sweeney, where he seemingly never gets the benefit of the doubt from the media, the opposing fans, whoever it might be, whenever they say something like this, and that usually brings out the critics that will be coming after him. But in this case, right here, it was Hugh Freeze throwing his quarterbacks and running back under the bus after their loss to Sam Pittman and the Arkansas Razorbacks.
Speaker 12: Unfortunately, this is what I know, and I know that there's people open, and I know that we're running the football, and we got to find a guy that won't throw it to the other team, and we got to find running backs that hold on to it. You know, that's a huge play there. I mean, we're going in to school. I don't know what was a seven nothing then or so it was seven to seven and our defense gets the stop and who knows what happens. But you know, the scheme is what most everybody in the country is running some sort of. But you've got to have a good play at quarterback.
Speaker 3: For sure to.
Speaker 12: At whatever system you're going to choose.
Speaker 4: Now, it wasn't only media opposing fans. It was also a former quarterback who came out against you Freeze this week. Did you see on Twitter that Bo Wallace, who was a quarterback for Freeze when he was the head coach at Ole Miss. He came out and was incredibly critical of Freeze for how he handled him when he played for him, but also to his coaching tactics. And I get that when you're a coach, not going to make everybody happy.
Speaker 5: That's just the way it is.
Speaker 4: I remember Kirby Smart had that speech at the SEC Media Days a couple of years ago talking about leadership.
Speaker 5: In one of the lines he.
Speaker 4: Said was, despite your best efforts, you will not be liked. And in this case right here, I think Freeze understands that. And could his tactfulness been a little bit better in terms of describing what happened on the field, and maybe he could have done a little bit more falling on the sword.
Speaker 5: Sure he could have. But I also want to enter this into the equation.
Speaker 4: I guess, if nothing else making my argument right here, I want to enter this into evidence, maybe he's tried to do that numerous times behind the scenes. That's the other part of this as well, is there's so many things that happened behind the scenes that we don't know about, and maybe Freeze had tried to do that with Thorn or whoever his quarterback is at Auburn or also too on the practice field. Maybe they've had fumbling issues and he said, hey, we need to work on ball security, okay, coach, all right, Well, nay, we need to work on ball security, all right, coach, Yeah, hey we will. And then you see it happened on Saturdays, and that's where Freeze says, all right, that's it. Wits end has been passed, and now it's time for me to go the nuclear option in this case, and that is calling people out.
Speaker 5: So we'll see how it all works out. Again.
Speaker 4: Peyton Thorn likely going to start today for Auburn against Oklahoma as the Tigers really looking for a huge bounce back win and Oklahoma making a quarterback change in their own right. So we'll see how it works out for Brent Venables club as well. Now here's the chaser to that shot I gave you with Hugh Freeze it's a guy that never minces words, and in some cases we like it.
Speaker 5: And in the past we did not like him for doing that.
Speaker 4: But I think we can all agree now that Lane Kiffin is a changed man in terms of not only picking and choosing his spots for when he says things, but also too how good of a coach he is as well. And Lane Kiffin talking about what you do in terms of handling quarterbacks after tough games, and in this case right here Kiffin saying, you know what, I try to take the focus off of them and put it onto me.
Speaker 13: I think it pays off, you know, when you have the relationships and the quarterbacks trust you too. You know, and can go back to Matt Crown when you through six interceptions and before I even got to the media, sitting now with him telling him, you know, we got to do a better job of calling plays, I got to coach better, and don't worry, we got your back. And so I think that goes a long ways and goes a long ways with kids in recruiting, you know, of knowing what they're going to get when they get here from a relationship and that they can trust us to have their back.
Speaker 4: All right, could that I've been a shot at freeze maybe who knows. But Kiffin right there talking about, Hey, if a quarterback has a bad day, then I'm going to take the blame. I'm not going to allow them to take it. And you appreciate that for sure, but also too as well. Again, it's every coach has their style and every coach has their ability to be able to either say, hey, I can call these guys out because let me actually take it to a more local example. I remember last year we had a chance to talk with Ima Udoka during one of his weekly visits on The Matt Thomas Show with Ross, and one of the things he was asked about was calling out players, and he said, you know what I actually give you, guys, The mild version of what I say to them, or the call out to you is a lot more mild than the way I called them out in private. And I know that a lot of people prefer if you're going to do the call out, do it in private. But for Kiffin right there, I mean, again, let's talk about the guy who has completely rehabilitated his career.
Speaker 5: At first, he was thought of as being a daddy's boy.
Speaker 4: Hey, You've got this job because of who your dad is, Monti Kiffin, not because of the coach you are. And soon enough after you went to Alabama and Nick Saban said, no, actually he's a really good coach.
Speaker 5: That's what people started to believe in him.
Speaker 4: And then he kind of earned his dudes all over again, went to FAU and now is at Ole Miss