Speaker 1: You're listening to bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty. You are listening to the bill Handle show yup KFI AM six forty on a Taco Tuesday and a quick reminder. KFI is sending you in a friend to Las Vegas for the twenty twenty four iHeartRadio Music Festival presented by Capitol one September twenty and twenty first at the T Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, two nights, one stage live performances by Dua Lipa. Whoever is that a male or female? By the way, Dua Lipa was that two people?
Speaker 2: Very attractive female?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not Duoleapa, it's Dua Lipa, Doja Cat, Gwen Stefani, Keith Thurman, a lot more. You can buy your tickets at axs dot com and keep listening to KFI for your chance to win two tickets because it's Dua Duo Lipa, two tickets to both nights at the festival, a two night hotel stay, and an MGM Resource destination a two hundred dollars gas card to get you there and back. Go to MGM Report Rewards dot com for details and my next bill Handle Show podcast drops today on iHeart Apple Spotify, and today it's all about the Project twenty twenty five. And what the hell is that about? Well, I explain it, and I tell you how scary it is or isn't. Yes, it is. Okay. Now it's Sex Tuesday with Rich Demureau. Rich heard here on KFI. Saturday is eleven to two pm. Rich on Instagram, at Rich on tech website, Rich on tech dot TV. And let's not forget k KTLA Tech reporter.
Speaker 2: Morning Rich, Hey, good morning to Bill.
Speaker 1: Okay, lot going on today. I did the story on the two point nine billion data record leaks with our social security numbers, and I said, and correct me if I'm wrong, there is no chance that every bit of your information is out there. Congratulations, Let's pretend you can, in fact have some security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's pretty much no way that your information is not out there. And if it wasn't out there before, it is definitely out there now with this latest hack, because it includes a lot two point seven billion records like you mentioned. And at first, by the way, the hackers were looking for a price tag to keep this stuff under wraps. They didn't get that apparently, so they said, you know what, we're just putting it out there on the web. And so now it's out there. You've got names, social security numbers, physical addresses. The only good news is the addresses apparently are out of date, because some of this information is older. But the bad news is that your social is now out there. Combine this with the AT and T data that leaked just a couple of months ago, and now there is no information about you that is sacred and Bill. The only thing that these companies I've noticed are trying to do is they're reaching into our path to say, like, hey, what street did you grow up on? What's your third cousin's maiden name? Because they're running out of ways to identify us and verify we are who we say we are when we open up these online accounts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as I explained and you explained before, freezing your credit helps, two party authentic authentication helps, which I do all of that. Also, if they get your home address, what I do is I have dogs that eat people, the electrified fence, and of course the spring loaded shotguns on the front door. You can protect yourself, can't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can protect yourself. I think what the best way to protect yourself. Like you said, a lot of people like to freeze their credit. That can really help. But I think setting up your account for a dark web scan is really handy. There's a lot of companies like even the Norton's out there and all these like Lifelocks, they'll do that for you. But there is a freeway to do that as well. Google, since they of course are crawling the web at all times, they come across all of our personal information name, address, phone number, email, social security number, usernames, passwords, and so you can actually set up in Google for free. They just added this where they can continually scan and let you know if your information is found on the dark web. And so you can sign up for that for free by going to Google one, which is one dot Google dot com, and there is what's called the Dark Web Report. I can tell you right now they've found my name twelve times, data, birth twice, phone number six times, email thirty six times, gender five times. And there you go.
Speaker 1: All right, so I'm assuming one of the security issues you can change your gender and that helps right.
Speaker 2: That, you know, Look, if that's the step you need to take, go for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, small price to pay, fair enough Waimo is starting testing a driverless cars on the freeways. Now that may be a little bit disconcerting as you see a car zipp and pass you on the freeway with no driver, but you'll never see a driverless car. Text while driving your thoughts on the driverless car and what's the technology and how safe really is it?
Speaker 2: Well, I've been in these driverless cars. I felt very safe, in fact, safer than in some ubers I've gotten. I take a lot of Uber's bill and they are all over the place. You get some great, great drivers. Other times you get drivers that I can't even understand if they just got their license or something, because it's really really scary. I'm talking near accident, you know, just swerving all kinds of stuff. So it's very hit or miss. With a computer, it's not a hit inter miss. They teach these computers to do things. They're very safe. Waimo, as you know, has been riding on LA streets for a long time now in Los Angeles, they've been doing sixteen square miles of coverage. Now they are expanding to seventy nine square miles in LA basically from downtown Los Angeles to Santa Monica. Down to Marina del Rey and just basically not the valley at this point, So no valley there. New areas include Marina del Rey, mar Vista, Plia Vista, More, Hollywood, Chinatown.
Speaker 1: Huh So, how do you get into a driverless car?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: How do you go from A to B? I open the door? How do I get there?
Speaker 2: You have to download the Weaimo app. You've got to sign up. There is a wait list. There's one hundred and fifty thousand riders on the wait list right now. They're serving over fifty thousand paid trips. They're in about I think three markets. So people are using this and they're taking it. And you know, we have yet to see a big issue with Waymo because unlike the tesla's out there, they are using tons and tons of different sensors and lidar and radar on their on their cars which do make them very safe. So obviously this is not foolproof. This is new technology. We're bound to see little incidents here and there. But you know, this is a huge charge from Google. This is Weimo, by the way, it's owned by Google. You know they see a big future in this.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, really, I believe that how much does it cost, by the way, comparison to youber Uh, that's a good question.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer to that. I'm guess I'm guessing Bill. It's like every other service that starts out inexpensive, and as people use it more and more, they're just going to keep ratcheting up the prices when people get comfortable with it. That's speculation, but that's what we've seen with pretty much everything else that comes along. Have you taken an uber lately? The prices are astronomical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it depends all the time. Of course, it's dynamic pricing. And then it gets crazy taking an uber from an event concert to go anywhere. I mean, it's just it's crazy. You might as well just buy a car at the nearest dealership and just go home. It's pretty crazy, you know what.
Speaker 2: I got to remember that for next time. I have not thought of that possibility, but I like that idea. It's much cheaper.
Speaker 1: Yesterday it was an earthquake, and even though I didn't feel it at all, I mean I did not feel it, and I was an Orange County and other people did feel it. And it is so easy for you to set up those earthquake alerts on your phone because number one, they do work right. Number two they get Well, I'm going to ask you how much advanced notice do you get? And I'm assuming the people that get the most benefit are Jehovah's witnesses that are in every doorway in America to begin with. So let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the yesterday obviously another earthquake, a lot of people got these warnings combined with the one that was I think it was the week before those warnings went out, So people are definitely getting these. This is the system that they've installed of sensors up and down the West coast, so everywhere from Washington State to you know, southern California. These sensors are up and down and they basically detect the shaking and they relay that information to you know, the quake folks, and they send the information out to the phones. And there's three ways you can get this. First is, oh, by the way, you asked, how much of a head's up you get? That depends on how far you are away from the earthquake. In my case, the last earthquake that I got an alert for, I looked at my security camera footage and the phones rang a full seventeen seconds before the actual shaking started, So that was pretty impressive. But obviously your results may vary. But there's three ways to get this.
Speaker 1: Okay, place for one, yeah, go ahead, No, no, I want to go for it, and then I'll ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Okay, wireless emergency alerts. You've seen this for Amber alerts. This system will do the same thing. The problem is so many people have turned off their their wireless emergency alerts because they don't want to get Amber alerts. They're not getting their earthquake alerts. So if you want to get those earthquake alerts, you have to turn on your emergency alerts on iPhone under notifications and on Android it's under Safety and Emergency. Wireless emergency alerts those only trigger for earthquakes five point zero higher. So that's something I know about that they don't send those out for every earthquake because obviously, you know, there's just too many, too many earthquakes happening. The second way, bill my shake app. This is the absolute best way to do it. It's the only app that will send you notifications before there's a million apps to tell you that tell you after an earthquake. This is the only one that is tuned into that ground sensor network. You can download it from the app Store or Google Play. You can't adjust when it's going to send you. It only sends for magnitude four point five and greater. A lot of people want to get it for lower than that, but that's just not possible. And if you have an Android phone, there is an earthquake alert setting in your phone. You can just go to Safety and Emergency under earthquake Alerts and turn it on. You don't need to download an extra app.
Speaker 1: I have my shake I think that's the only one that I have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's all you need. And there used to be some other ones, but that one after a shakeout of the earthquake apps, that's the final one standing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, Now the question is how quickly can you get the information? And you said the closer you are. Now, when someone sends me an email and they say I just sent it and this is supposed to move at the speed of light, I will get it two minutes later. How do they beat the earthquake? I understand they have the sensors, but it still has to go through the system. The Internet or the cell How do they figure that out?
Speaker 2: Well, that was the biggest issue for many, many years why these things didn't work, because they couldn't figure out how to send hundreds of thousands of notifications at the same time and have them arrive on phones in a timely manner. So it took some figuring out. They finally have figured that out. I don't know what the magic is behind the scenes, but a lot of it has to do with working with Apple and Google to deliver these alerts sort of on a priority basis, it seems, because you know, if you get alerts on your phone, they're really coming from Apple and Google. They kind of control those, even though it looks like they're coming from the app itself. The other thing, what was the other thing you mentioned about the timing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because if you're talking, you know, people think, what's five seconds, eight seconds, twelve seconds? That gives you enough time to get the hell out of the house, or get away from a bookcase if you're crazy enough not to have strapped it down, get under a table, as they say, unless you have an ikea table that's going to collapse even quicker than you can possibly imagine, and you know ten twelve seconds can really save someone's life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I think so. And of course we've seen some of these smaller quakes. In the terms of a bigger quake, you know, this could really come in handy. And you know, depending on where you are with respect to your email question, I know you said, how does my email? Why does it take two minutes? You know, I think with email nowadays, they are being scanned more and more by organizations, whether it is your corporate account or Gmail those things. Yes, in many cases they do come through pretty quickly, but if you're sending from a corporate account, a lot of those are on delay or they're getting scanned by the virus scanners anti virus phishing scanners, and so that's why they may not come through instantly when people send them. And by the way, Bill, I know I gave all those instructions. I did put them on my website rich on tech dot, because you know, I know this a lot that I mentioned, but I've got to step by step on how to enable these because every time there's an Earth Quick alert, I get a ton of emails from people saying, Rich how do I set this up? How do I set this up?
Speaker 1: All right, Rich will catch you this Saturday eleven am to two pm. And as Rich said, he is website is richontech, dot, tv, Instagram, and social at rich on Tech. Rich will catch you this weekend and next week too. Have a good day.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks Phil, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now let me talk about a little bit about the Middle East and is there going to be a regional war. Well, there's going to be an attack by Iron on Israel, absolutely no question about it. Everybody knows. It's just is it tomorrow, is it today? And to what extent? And the question is how big of an attack that's it. Last time, when Iran for the first time attacked Israel directly, it's sent for the most part, missiles and on purpose sent the kind of missiles that could be shot down, is what the analysts are saying. And in fact they were shot down, the vast majority were shot down, almost no damage done. And then Iran pulled back and said, we did our attack, we made our point. Today it's probably going to be very different because one of the Kamas leaders was killed in Tehran, and now we're talking about Israel going into Iranian soil and killing a Kamas leader, and at that point Iran argues and it says, that's our sovereignty. Now they attacked Israel, but it's viewed a little bit differently. Why because of the war that's going on in Gaza, because the entire world is looking at Israel and not feeling very good at this war in Gaza. Twelve hundred Israelis were kidnapped and or killed. Probably twelve hundred were killed, and now Israeli soldiers are in the range of three hundred and changed have been killed, and they are just approaching forty thousand Palestinians that have been killed. Man, that is disproportionate, and the way of the world over there always the argument is you have to be proportionate. Whatever the attack is. You can only go back and proportionally attack, you can't overwhelmingly attack. And that's mainly to Israel because Israel is holding the big guns, and so the entire country of Israel is bracing because the attack from Tehran also involves the attack from Hezbelah, which is an Iranian proxy that is in southern Beirut, which is on the border between Israel and Lebanon, or southern Lebanon, which is on the border between Israel and Lebanon, and Hezbollah is a terrorist organization and they've been skirmishes all You've been firing missiles into Israel, and all of the northern Israel is now under evacuation. There's nobody there, and I think it's like forty thousand people that have been moved. And I was reading yesterday that Israel is their spinning because most of the military are reserves, and these are people men for the most part, in combat, who have businesses, who have jobs. And one of the business owners was interviewed and he said, my business is gone. I'm not there. And it's not a question of just deployment. Usually the military reserves, it's like the US Army reserves. You're there a couple of weeks, you're there three weeks a year, you do your thing, and then you go back home and do your work. They're there for months at a time. It's like the National Guard being deployed to Iraq for months at a time. And Israel is a country where the entire country the military is the reserves. Two thirds of the military might of Israel are the civilians who are in the reserves, about one hundred about a third, and I think about one hundred thousand are full time or in the army. And there's conscription in Israel. Every israel Israeli male and female is drafted three years for men starting at the age of eighteen, two years for women. Everybody serves in the military. You go to Israel and you see people carrying their uzis around the way we carry our wallets in our pockets. I mean, that's just the way they live. So we're going to see how badly Iran wants to go to war in Israel, because Israel is well, they're not going to just sit back and let it happen. You've got a fundamentalist right wing government, a pro war government with Natanyahu. You have a pro war Hamas led by Sinhwar Ya Sinhwar. Both sides are intransigend Israel. Natanyahu wants the complete discretion of Hamas. Hamas wants to stop the fighting, keeping the hostages until the stop of the fight stops. And what do you do with this? Hamas isn't returning the hostages, Israel won't stop the war. Where do you go? It's tough answer, as in I don't see an answer anytime soon, all right, I want to finish up with the issue of hydrogen fuel cell now evs, of which I have one, which I love. The problem is, I was talking to the BMW dealership yesterday. I stopped in to get something adjusted. There aren't enough TV charging stations. There just aren't. And that is the real big problem out there, even worse hydrogen fuel cars. And this is hydrogen fuel sell cars. And what is that about. Well, you pump in hydrogen and you need a special gas station. You need special tankers to deliver the hydrogen. You need special plants to create the hydrogen fuel, and then those go into the car and it combined, the hydrogen combines with oxygen, it creates electricity and it then it becomes an EV. And there's some advantage to hydrogen longer mileage three fifty to four hundred on a tank. Then it only takes maybe five ten minutes to fuel the car, where with an EV it takes twenty minutes to an hour two hours. Disadvantages. Well, you can charge your car at home. I happen to have a charger at my house and so I do it overnight. You need a gas station or a hydrogen station, and there aren't any that's the problem. You know how many there are in California fifty four. I have never seen a hydrogen gas or a hydrogen station, have you kneel? I have never seen one in driving aby. Have you ever seen one? Do you have any idea if you had a hydrogen fuel cell where you would go to fill up the take? No? I have no idea.
Speaker 2: And I have a friend who has one of those cars and he can't take it anywhere because it's hard to find location.
Speaker 1: That's exactly it. I mean, there's a lawsuit going on and one of the plantiffs that was interviewed by the La Times said, it sits in my driveway. It's now artwork and he spent a lot of money. He loves the car. And yeah, you just can't fill it any place in the state of California. I mean, it's already screwed up with the ev charging stations, which is why Walter's Wholesale Electric is doing as well as it does, and it should. I know it's a plug for Walters, but it should do well. They're great, by the way. I just want to pull that one out, but it's desperately needed. What they do. The hydrogen tanks the hydrogen fuel stations, I mean, there aren't any. How do you buy a hydrogen car? And this lawsuit says, you guys lie to us dealers and it's Toyota Hunday that have the cars. And I had no idea. We should have had two hundred station by now that was the plan. We've got fifty four Southern California Bay Area. By the way, you go on the fifteen from let's say here to Las Vegas, you can charge your ev there's one place you can charge your hydrogen fuel cell car. And you run out. Believe me, you call the you call Triple A and say, I'm out of hydrogen fuel. Oh, we'll bring some right there. We have tanks of it, don't we. And now the cost of hydrogen has exploded. It's now the equivalent of fifteen dollars a gallon. That's what it's costing you. But no greenhouse gases, no fossil fuels. All the engine does is emit water vapor. It's good stuff. Is it the wave of the future? It is? Is it going to happen anytime soon? No? And if you buy a hydrogen car, you're gonna have a great car. You're gonna be able to use it once. Why, because there's no infrastructure. You have to have the equivalent of gas stations, a whole new station, new tankers, and new refineries. The state is paying for ninety percent of it, and the state doesn't pay for ninety percent. They don't have the money. State doesn't have the money. We don't have the money. You know. Wow, the future is in this case, not here. The future is their way there. Okay, we are done. First of all, phone calls eight seven seven five to two zero eleven fifty handle on the law, marginal legal advice. You can call me right now eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty. Also, and by the way, they go very quickly, these phone calls because no breaks, no commercials, no weather, no sports, and absolutely no patience on my part. The other the thing I want to remind you is that the podcast is dropping in just a few minutes and that's the Bill Handleshow podcast available on Spotify, Apple iHeartRadio app and the episode is Project twenty twenty five. What's it about? All the politics around it? I do a little explaining and ask you should you be scared? And that's today, starting in just a few moments. Okay, tomorrow Amy comes back at five am with wake up Call. Neil and I join Amy and we do the show from six to nine as always Cono and and never go home. And you can always reach Cono if you need to. At let's say ten to eleven o'clock PM, just call air Mix and there's Cono saying hello, can I help you? You know, I should give the number of air Mix out there so people can actually call, but I'm not going to. I'm not going a direct direct line to Cono's position is we'll see tomorrow, every buddy. This is KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app