Speaker 1: Hello listeners. Ianto and Stephen will be here with the podcast in just one minute, But first, just a quick content warning for this episode. As we know, there are dark elements of all episodes of Inside Number Nine. However, this one has some particularly tricky themes of child abuse, so please bear that in mind before listening.
Speaker 2: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us. I'm Yanto and I'm Stephen.
Speaker 3: And this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside Number Nine.
Speaker 2: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheersmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 3: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back. How are you doing. I'm okay, warm, warm, E's likelyferent setting.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are in a slightly different setting.
Speaker 3: We're not two hundred miles away.
Speaker 2: No, we are in the podcast flesh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's weird, it's slightly strange.
Speaker 2: It does feel strange, isn't it. But yes, I'm up in York first time. I think it is my first time.
Speaker 3: Yes, Other than how are you finding it?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's lovely, it's very nice.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you showed me around parts of the city yesterday, which was nice.
Speaker 3: Wonder around it was very people, but otherwise.
Speaker 2: It was very people. Yeah. Yeah, it's like having a personal tour guide. My main takeaway I remember was some every kit cat in the country has made it sound like that, just exaggerate it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: True though. As far as so, you came up so we could watch a play last night.
Speaker 2: Yes, and not just any play. No, there's a tangential slightly sort of like connection Jeremy Dyson and Andy Nyman's play The Psychic, which was on at.
Speaker 3: York Theater Royal final night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to see the final performance.
Speaker 3: It was really good. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: I'm still not entirely sure what happened. Yeah, I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: We were saying we weren't really sure what to expect, but it wasn't that. No, Yeah, it was still really enjoyable. Good performances.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh yeah, yeah, really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would say I recommend going and see it, but it's done now. Yeah, I think it's going on tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be good. So if you do it comes near you, I would recommend it. So we need to reveal last week's hair. First of all, it was the referees a anka.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: Indeed, next week we've got a quiz. I just know you're going to be asking me some ridiculously anal question like or name every appliance that they have in the kitchen, and I'll just be sitting there like, oh god, was there a toaster? Is there a freezerker? Of absolutely a freezer wanker, which was a fun one to try and get in.
Speaker 3: It was. I was really impressed how you did it that I forgot. I had to do my.
Speaker 2: Part said is there a freezer? And then I was just waiting and I think you thought I was waiting for a companiment, so that it was just like nas. I was like, we still got to your bit. You got to call me a wanker. Yeah yeah, so yes.
Speaker 3: Well I don't know if you spotted it. And listen out for one this week as we discuss series seven, episode six, Wise Owl, everyone remembers the wise Owl. Of course, the bossy cartoon bird keeping children safe. Back in the nineteen seventies, those old information films had a lasting effect on all of us, especially Ronnie, who spent his entire life trying to do the right thing. But what is right and what is wrong? A big one this week.
Speaker 2: Is a big one, like real big mmm.
Speaker 3: Like, considering we're at series seven of something, for it to be such a good episode, it's really impressive. Like not to say that their others aren't really good around this time, yeah, but to have one of their big ones be this late into the run is Yeah, it's a testament to how good they are as rights.
Speaker 2: So my question is in terms of the series getting renewed each year, like I'm guessing each year they didn't necessarily know they were going to get another series, so potentially each final episode of a series could be the last one ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this one, I feel like really works from that point of view of it being like a really good mirror to Sardines in like the themes of child abust and stuff. It takes it in a very different direction as well. We'll discuss, but yeah, it's I think that if it had ended here, not that they would have done because they had to do nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got this close.
Speaker 2: But if it had, I think that would have been quite a nice book end.
Speaker 3: Would you hadn't looked at it that way? They said that. So this was still COVID year, and they were told by the BBC to make COVID friendly scripts. Yeah, animation is great. It's one Mandarine things. No one needs to be there. So that's a fairly how they started it, okay, And based on all obviously the child's sort of public safety films, which horrifying.
Speaker 2: Now they are horrifying, weird.
Speaker 3: All of them are not all of them are terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, I guess that's the point.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I used to. I went through a bit of a phase of just being interested in all those and watching when I was about eleven. But this was back in the days before YouTube, and so watching videos of things was like, you know, we used to click on it would bring up like a real player or whatever. And so there's these Charlie says ones with the cat, which the animation start is obviously directly incredibly based on, and oh my god, I'm so amazed by how well they recreated it, Like this is something they do really well, if you look back at the Devil of Christmas in that seventies.
Speaker 3: Style, mimicking it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they are so good. It's not just obviously recent Steve. It's the whole production team and the way they come together to make everything to make something that really could be. Like you could watch this for the first time and see those first couple of films and think they were real.
Speaker 3: You could, yeah, easily, and like considering how close they are to Charlie says, yeah, and you've not maybe watched it in years, and you might have forgotten that it was a cat not an owl. Yeah, And like I think the first time I watched it, I did wonder is this Yes, like have they licensed and made new ones of a thing to fill the story? Because I was certain I'd seen this character before And it's probably just that the kid looks so similar just.
Speaker 2: The thing I think stylistically were going. Charlie says, like the voice, the look, the animation style.
Speaker 3: And the slightly blobbly the blob.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but interestingly I was doing some research and there is also the character of whiz Al is slightly based done Yeah the play safe film. Yes, not voicing character, but yeah, That's an interesting one because that's obviously that's nothing like this, but it's just the character of a sort of you know why out to do and the power lines and stuff like, so they're kind of amalgamated those two into one thing. Really clever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the one about the kids playing in like is it playing in swamps or something? Always got me with the like the death figure in the Big Cloyes what you mean, Yeah, and this kid's about to drown and then he doesn't, and the death gets like defeated and he just becomes a cloak that's floating in the in the river and it's playing is it playing the river? I can't remember? And then it ends with him being like, but I'll be back. Oh yeah, it's awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are. They are traumatizing, but also it's it's just interesting from like a sociological point of view that like they felt they need to make these that like parents should be teaching their children how to be safe. But if they're not, then you know, are these are these things aimed at children or at parents or both.
Speaker 3: Or I don't know. I wonder if there's an element of well, the world's changed so much in this time the seventies. Yes, in the last fifty years, these parents don't when they were kids, not all these problems.
Speaker 2: Are a problem. Well yeah, but you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, Like, you know, I like power lines, and like the amount of traffic and exactly yeah, and various things that maybe weren't such a problem. So they don't know that they need to wear warn kids that's true. Maybe I don't know. I mean, I know, obviously rivers have been around and been a problem, exactly a stranger danger and everything's always been a problem, I guess, But you know, maybe there's an element that I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it's like I think any time within the last fifty sixty sent years, like people are always saying, oh, you know, people would complain about parents today and say they don't know how to look after their children. Probably, but I'm sure they were saying that in the seventies as well, And so that's probably where a lot of this comes from. You know, they need to be need to be told. Yeah, but no, they are horrifying.
Speaker 3: They're really horrifying. Steve talked through several of them that he remembered from being a kid and liked not necessarily from public information things, but just terrifying children's things. Are you aware of an incredible character called mister Nosybunk.
Speaker 2: I'm not, but I want to know more.
Speaker 3: Would you like a photo? He is absolutely terrifying?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, apparently did really well based on kids both loved and were terrified of him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're listening, google mister Noisy Bunk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, enjoy he is horrifying. Wow, loads of those things.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of the stuff that's made for children actually is pretty uncanny and freepy when you look at it.
Speaker 3: It really is. And this is an element of just kids don't know that they should be scared of it yet, so it doesn't quite affect them in the same way as it does maybe adults. But yeah, it's weird. Isn't it really weird? So? Are you aware that whise Oul wasn't made up for this? That he did exist in the legal gentleman era? No, vaguely so. He first appeared in a legal gentleman book in two thousand and one. Okay, it was just like a little doodle, which is uncannonly like the how he works here. Oh so the picture there that I recommend you look up. Oh yeah, I mean it's creepy, but it talks about how it's sort of the same sort of thing Dad has wise Oul by Amanda Barry, and it's a little drawing from a nine year old girl. Wise Aul is always right, and I have lots of secrets with him, lots of things when he comes out at night, right, And it's just like I don't really know what context it's in within the book. I can just have a picture of it. But yeah, so it came back. That's the seed that they went back to. Yeah, like we can make a whole story out of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is such a good episode, And I find like I'm glad we rewatched it just before recording, because every time I watch it, I just feel like I kind of understand it a bit more and like see more in it, and like I feel stupid now, but like it's only just taken me till this watch to realize that the first two because I always thought the first two films that you see are just quite a bog standard. They just sort of but they relate directly to what is about to happen in the real world, like treating electricity safely and then getting in the bath with the toaster. I haven't made that connection. And then the stranger danger in him at the door.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I've not connected that one. Yeah. I'm wondering how many of these that we see of these public information films actually were the ones that were made at the time, Like obviously the ones that as it goes on later, they're more sort of.
Speaker 2: Memories that yeah bleeding in yeah.
Speaker 3: Like portrayed as in that style, But how many of them were actually real? What do you mean like we're broadcast at the time that it's meant in the world.
Speaker 2: Oh oh get yes, now I get exactly what me and I was wondering the same thing, because because it becomes a bit of a blurred line, doesn't.
Speaker 3: It, it's a transitions.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Yeah it was they were real, But do.
Speaker 3: We see any real ones A stranger danger probably one is.
Speaker 2: I assume the first two basically are real. But also why you know, why this man was voicing this character and why does his son look exactly like the child in this thing that he didn't design?
Speaker 3: He was just a voice of.
Speaker 2: Yea, so maybe you're meant to think maybe, well yeah, but maybe you're right, but we don't see any of the realm. Maybe we just see public information film style versions of his childhood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I think it probably is.
Speaker 2: Actually, that makes a lot more sense, and it's just.
Speaker 3: How Ronnie remembers his childhood through this lens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true. And thought of that, but that's really true. I also think the casting of ron Cook was amazing because I mean, he looks a bit owlish, and then and the nose and then the animation of what is really looks like him as well. Yeah, it's really well done.
Speaker 3: I've got to mention the weird little mouth thing that why has this bird got a mouth with teeth and a tongue. It's very strange.
Speaker 2: I had noticed that. Is it inside his beak?
Speaker 3: No, it's just under his beak.
Speaker 2: And then a mouth. Okay, yeah, I guess just to make him look more like the man.
Speaker 3: It's very strange.
Speaker 2: I also want to just call out the music, like the music's always good in Sevenember nine, and he's good at doing lots of different genres that's what's required. But yeah, the little flute, like the vibraphone and stuff, it sounds exactly like something that would have been recorded in a studio in the seventies, like really cheaply just to make this film.
Speaker 3: Probably cost a fortune nowadays to emulate it exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's it's so perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish you call that Sam Leary that did the animation as well. It had him on the podcast talking about it and how he does it digitally now. But how much work it was to make it look analog I can imagine, like how he'd have to color all he'd have to insert separate slide so that armors moved jerkily and things where they normally would just flow perfectly, and yeah, coloring purposely different frames to look so they do that thing of flickering flickering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 3: So we've had the first public information film of Don't Play with Pylons.
Speaker 2: I found that it irritated me a bit the way that he was like, oh, don't don't climb up there, it's dangerous and all that, and they're like, but my kite, you know, and then he says, oh, maybe our friend the wind can help and he blows it and it's sort of it's like, oh, happy ending she got the kite back. Anyway, but surely the message should be your life's more important than.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you've just got this kite, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I just think it cheapened it a bit.
Speaker 3: But yeah, And then we cut to the real world. So, yes, we have Reese as Ronnie this week in his sort of best rich of the third Meet the Beatles.
Speaker 2: Look, I was thinking, yes, how many weeks on this are they going to give Reese? It's like someone bet, isn't that to see? You know what's terrible? We can be given this week?
Speaker 3: Need to make a little TikTok of the do you wear wigs? Have you gone?
Speaker 2: When will yours? What have I not thought of that brilliant.
Speaker 3: But yeah, grim looking house which.
Speaker 2: Looks like window sill in the seventies, it does.
Speaker 3: I don't know what point I work could place what you were actually meant to be exactly.
Speaker 2: I think it's when he gets his smartphone out and does the FaceTime yeah suddenly into yeah.
Speaker 3: So terrible situation. Yeah, an avocado baths suite. Oh and the carpet and carpet off the side of the bath. It's horrible. I'm sorry, but this house is awful. Oh yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: Well, the taxidermy animals don't help.
Speaker 3: But don't help. But the wallpaper, the carpet in the bathroom, carpeted sides of the bath oh yeah, and not just like regular carpet, like furry carpet.
Speaker 2: Oh lovely.
Speaker 3: Well ignore the suicide, like I'm more focused.
Speaker 2: On this, Yeah, which is the biggest crime against nature?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, yeah, joke aside, Rodney isn't very happy, no bless him.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I didn't twig that the voice saying twit you was like, why was I telling him not to do that? Because of electricity and all that. I think the first time I was just thinking he was just hearing the voice and remembering it, but not that it was connected to what he was about to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he probably just hears this voice all the time whenever he's doing anything, whenever crosses the street. And also yeah, it's just so ingrained in him.
Speaker 2: And it's it's really obvious as soon as you see Reese that it's supposed to be the same boy from the film, like grown up, like with the hair.
Speaker 3: I think I don't know if I clocked it straight away, but that's probably just me. It's probably is meant to be obvious.
Speaker 2: I felt like it's obvious. Yeah, but it is confusing when the house looks like it's concurrent with when the film would have been made and he's aged like fifty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think I probably didn't tweak that it was him straight away because first, like I said, I thought that it might have been like an ip that they bought and like made new episodes of. Yeah, and again with Charlie says that he looks so similar to that kid that I thought it was that kid rather than young Reese. So that's why I didn't get it straight away.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Even the children's voice acting, and it is really authentic.
Speaker 3: I saw them in their credits, but I didn't look them up to know how old they work, whether they work at children.
Speaker 2: I imagine the imagine they were children. They sound like they do to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also the radio in the bath playing racaman off, which was also another link back to the series one. What's it called quite a nye in? I think it's the same piece of music. It might be a different movement from the same.
Speaker 3: Piece, right, but yeah, I could not have told you what it was.
Speaker 2: It's famously used in Brief Encounter the old film, so that it's almost like I do wonder if maybe they thought this might they might not get renewed and this might be the last one ever. So it's like the time back, lots of references and yeah stuff.
Speaker 3: I have no idea, but I can. I can totally see the link if it is. If it is that was the case, So we get a good bit.
Speaker 2: Next Steve appears.
Speaker 3: Steve. He's not in it much this week.
Speaker 2: It's when he appears. It's wonderful, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's like a reverse lip service with mister Muller, like he's playing it for a Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you know who he absolutely reminded me of in this role, Paul Chuckle right, Okay, mustache and the eighties mullet and the accent as well. It was really like, yeahs Rabbit Ferrari. It was like, where's Barry.
Speaker 3: Ferrari? Rabbit not we die?
Speaker 2: Yeah, although you have the daughter's xylophone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anything goes. He has some great lines at this he does. We're just laughing into each other while watching it. Just now. I'll just tell her it's always tired. You don't need it looking like a ballerina doing Patrick Potter. Yeah, I don't need legs.
Speaker 2: If that's cheaper, that's the best bits covering straw.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean to imagine it would be cheaper, there's a lot less work.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, But also what's his what's his plan? Because he's like, he's not going to tell the daughter. How long is he planning to just leave this taxi dermid rabbit in the corner of a hutch?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's only five? Like, at what point do you start telling kids about death like this? This rabbit's gonna have to sit still for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, I think. And also he's saying about, oh, we've got that coming up with my mother, but surely it's better for children to experience it through a pet first, you think, so human Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a whole side story that we not evolved in.
Speaker 2: But now he's brilliant, Derek blinking.
Speaker 3: Derek blinking. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he takes the rabbit h and we go in and we see a lot of creepy stuffed animals around the house.
Speaker 3: There were a lot The set decorators this week must have had a whale of a time. They must have had to go because not only did they have to find a lot of taxi, dermaid animals. They had to find off ones like not bad but not good.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. I think they always pretty much look like that. I don't think I've ever seen a really good one.
Speaker 3: Oh you do see good ones in like in museums and things.
Speaker 2: Okay, but yeah, generally always a bit They're uncanny, aren't they. Yeah, the eyes and the mouth.
Speaker 3: That cat, it's the lamb with no ears for some reason. Oh that I always I don't like. I don't know if you say it's a slip back or what, but it's very very odd to look at each of their own. But I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Tax No, I don't understand it at all.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, maybe one thing like if you had a cat or whatever, but if the people have dozens of things, maybe don't get that.
Speaker 2: And me even one is like why would you? Why would you do that to something you loved? Like it's its body, it's not gonna, it's not the cat, it's not the actual thing. It's yeah, anyway, it's a bit deep.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, no, no, it's weird.
Speaker 2: It's very weird. Yeah. Sorry if any listeners have their pet stuffed, but I think it's weird. Each their own feel for to message it and explain why it means something to you.
Speaker 3: We're ready to.
Speaker 2: And he's also seeing a feather in the bath, which is very ominous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a creepy one. When I first watched it, I remember it wasn't quite as creepy as I remember it being. I remember it being quite scary when I watched it the first time. But yeah, there's a lot of unsettling stuff going on, and you have no idea where this is going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you obviously just feel sorry for this man. He's obviously going through a lot. Yeah, he's haunted by this this owl in some way.
Speaker 3: Plus also it's race, so we've been taught to expect he's going to be evil in some way shape. He's more often than not the bad guy.
Speaker 2: He's very good at it.
Speaker 3: You've got that subconsciously in your mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we get the film at the beach, stranger doing.
Speaker 3: Yes, which to me feels the most like it might be Yes. I thought that it doesn't really link to anything that's happened in the episode, Like so the first one, you would say the same with the pylon, but it's the kite that she's got for her birthday.
Speaker 2: The kite and then the radio and the bath.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I mean in terms of the old literally bad story story, whereas this one doesn't the reference to the.
Speaker 2: Beach, they don't, But I feel like it's relevant in the sense that remember why else says I will always stay safe with your mummy and daddy, And he says about, you know, don't talk to people you don't know. But actually the truth is that normally when Charlie's happens, it's someone that they do know, and it's not a stranger that you have to worry about. So and then when he says about stay safe with your mummy and daddy and the little boys, he doesn't call for his daddy just cause mummy. Yeah, So it kind of there's a relevance there, but you wouldn't pick up on that watching it the first time.
Speaker 3: Like I said, going back to which ones are real, which ones aren't, Like I said, I don't really think anything that's probably the most likely to have been real. He gets a load of letters and drawn dodgy letters, mail, total random prop But do you see when he's putting the thing in the drawers, there's a book on how to complain about goods and services?
Speaker 2: What's that doing? Excellent?
Speaker 3: Read the whole book on that, like it was. It was very It was a thin book.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many chapters can you say about how to complain.
Speaker 3: Such an odd prop to have inn iesight?
Speaker 2: Like the camera line, So the birthday film.
Speaker 3: So she's got a doll that looks terrifying, a tea set and a Kate said, linking back to the pylon.
Speaker 2: That's my question for this episode being changed. Then, Oh, well, so we don't, I mean, not much happens in that other that she wants to light the candles.
Speaker 3: That's like the candles. Yeah, and it cuts away before anything happens. Oh something went back to here and.
Speaker 2: We see Ronnie's grown up. Ronnie's got burns under his beetles hair, and again he's getting haunted by this you know, creepy fluttering everywhere. And then there's this bedroom door that, yeah, there's something going on behind.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 2: I was so confused originally watching this because I assumed for Ages that obviously as he meant to, I think that this is his house where he lives. Yes, and then there's a twist later, but I think it took me a couple of watches to actually understand that. Yeah, but again you just watch it now and it's like they make it extremely obvious. So I don't know where my brain was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you have nothing to go on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, your brain just makes assumptions and yeah, just.
Speaker 3: Why like only connected so hard? You have no idea what film of question we're on right now? If this sport is this history? Like who knows?
Speaker 2: So he makes his bed on the floor of the living room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is a sofa right there. That's true, but we finally figure out, like you said, with the smartphone when the hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's so weird because the how like those videos and the video machine and the TV. It's also of the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just feel wrong him having a fancy phone as well, that could do. I'd kind of expect him to have an old like Nokia if anything. Yeah, I love his mum. Yeah, so George Glenn, I don't know her.
Speaker 2: Oh she's in everything, like she always has tiny parts in everything, like BBC stuff, and I think she's in Calendar Girls back in the day. Oh yeah, I don't know why that sticks in my memory, but yeah, she's always good Scottish. If you couldn't tell from the name, but yeah, she's a good Northern accent for this.
Speaker 3: She's great. She's really sweet as well. She is lovely just calling between the curries.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously, you know, we get drips later on. But I'm like, I'm trying to piece together where Ronie's been and what his situation is, because obviously they talk about you know, where you've been, like as if he's been in some sort of institution. Yeah, but how long has he been out of that and where does he live now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well she's not seen him in three years, she says, yeah, and if he was in the institution until recently, she could have visited him. Yeah, So presumably he's been out for at least three years and he's.
Speaker 2: Just doing his own thing.
Speaker 3: I guess. So I don't know. Yeah, but she seems she's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she seems really Yeah, considering what happened and everything, she loves him.
Speaker 3: I think I noticed on this last watch she says about how are you coming over for dinner tomorrow or Monday or whenever it was, and he says, will dad be there? And I think if you don't know what's going on, it's more the opposite of yeah, oh, i've not seen Dad in ages? Is he coming? Would be lovely if he was there, Like Dad's left, like that trope of Dad's left and the kid never gets see him and idolizes him or whatever. Yeah, a bit like last week with it the dad moving to Singapore kind of thing which flips later exactly know what's really going on, but get the great line of cats don't wear shoes. There isn't a lot of comedy in this in this episode, but when it happens.
Speaker 2: And Reese is really good at this character. I like how when he talks to his mum he regresses to be very childlike. Yeah. She slightly reminded me a bit of the girl in Hurry Up and Wait. Oh yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, Yeah. There's something about the way he was speaking. I can't remember there's one line he has and he just says it in this way that's like, so.
Speaker 3: I'm getting all the all the impressions and yeah, but yeah I can see that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, he's good and he's so sweet. Really, you know, he just wants to be happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. A lot a lot of shit over his life, bless him, and lot of it's his fault. And then he cuts her off mid I love you, and then it's creepy time.
Speaker 2: Oh we've got the hospital bit first. Oh sorry, yeah, but that's where I think that's where the shift happens and it becomes less This could never be a public information film. It's just very directly his life, yeah, being shown in that style.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think when wise Owl appears at this point, it's bigger than the other, Like he feels like it's an adult okay, and like that is just a stand in for his dad at this point, literally standing next to him saying these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point, whereas before it very.
Speaker 3: Much feels like it's sort of owls, like a bit bigger than now, but sort of more like that side.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and he tells him he mustn't say anything. Mm hmm horrible, says.
Speaker 3: Good, don't know what's happening, but yeah, something bad exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is just such an incredible show that the way they managed to mix together all this stuff that's you know, creepy, heartrending and funny. It's such a.
Speaker 3: Fine line to walk and not for either of them to feel like they're cheapening the other exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, the creepy bit, very creepy. So this is the second time in series seven that we have penis on the BBC seven is the series of the penises. Yeah, yeah, it's terrible. I mean right, that owl head would be scary enough even if he had clothes on. For me, do you know what it reminds me of? And it's this might be a very specific memory to me, but I always found in Scooby.
Speaker 3: Doo back in the day, Okay, this will be fun, there were.
Speaker 2: These big owl men that were like there were men dressed in our costumes. Obviously you find out the end, but I always found them terrifying, Like they've got these massive eyes, like blank eyes, and they and they you know, flap their arms like wings and they run after you. And I always found them terrifying as a kid. And this just reminded me of that.
Speaker 3: I remember that. Okay, yeah I don't. It wasn't quite as creepy as I remember it being. I think i'd built it up in my mind as being really really creepy. When its head turns round, that was creepy because of the stutteriness of it. Yeah, I kind of almost wish that they'd made that they'd cut out a few frames when he walks to make him look a bit more stop motion.
Speaker 2: Y mm hmm.
Speaker 3: But I like, I really like how it just sort of appears around the door frame.
Speaker 2: Oh it's awful. Yeah, I actually quite like how it starts off quite realistic, that he's just there and you think what's going on because you don't know it's a dream, And then and then it gradually becomes even more horrific and more like turning round.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I was going to ask you, you say you don't realize it's a dream. Do you reckon it's a dream? Or is it him imagining it but awake? Was not much.
Speaker 2: It comes to the same. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know, because he's imagining things like the feather in the bath and them.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't take it that he was asleep. Okay, I guess you're meant I probably did at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I just think one of those like between sleeping and waking sort of weird things. Yeah, yeah, hallucination possibly who.
Speaker 3: It is it was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wondering about BBC.
Speaker 3: I assume it's not.
Speaker 2: No, it wouldn't. Ben Cook, Well, I'm sure there are many people that that's their career. Why not be naked bodies?
Speaker 3: This isn't being shown flapping about on BBC. Yah.
Speaker 2: I like that's double meaning of flapping about with him being an hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got that.
Speaker 2: It was intentional to get it. What a hoot? Do you know that joke about I know someone who sounds like an owl and then that's supposed to get who.
Speaker 3: My mind froze for a second of what do I reply? That isn't he?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So taxidermy, Yeah, this is a weird This is a weird bit the cat dying in the cartoon that my sister's cat died.
Speaker 3: Its death throats does a perfect one eight freeze his legs in the air.
Speaker 2: That is so good, and then his eyes just turns across his.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the point when you start to really like it shifts from public information to this definitely isn't like I know the hospital one. It's starting to go, what's happening here? This is very definitely something creepy is happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, in a way, the hospital one was purely just the narrative of his but this one is almost like it's the narrative but it's also they're presenting it in like a pastiche or because the way he sort of demonstrates how to do it is like an informational film. So it's funny that the.
Speaker 3: Way it's like talking to kids is oh, just need a scalpel and some calvinized wire and tanning chemicals.
Speaker 2: Always read the label with a little smile, and even just at the start where it's like, haven't your children heard of taxi? Taxi? What dermy?
Speaker 3: Honestly I want them to make a load of these of like are you not aware of necromancy?
Speaker 2: Children?
Speaker 3: Like all you need is a pentagram and candles.
Speaker 2: It's a very surreal bit. Yeah, and just the graphicness of of taking the skin off the carcass and checking it in the fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the inners of this cat are grim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's horrible.
Speaker 3: I don't really get why the owl says you need to remove the eyes, and then they never bother with using the eyes again. Oh that's true, because you don't really get the point of that.
Speaker 2: But was that the first thing to remove the eyes?
Speaker 3: No, to take take the skin off and then remove then remove the eyes.
Speaker 2: I can help, and but then when we don't need those sockets, so.
Speaker 3: No, and then it's throw away the rest of the cat. Yeah, and later get eyes in your sandwiches and replace the eyes of the glass ones. I don't really get that. I don't care, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Why you can have an eye and a sandwich. This is a good to play a game. And I love how unbothered she is by the eye, just like, oh.
Speaker 3: So stupid.
Speaker 2: Yea. The word I wrote down was perverse.
Speaker 3: And it's the way this cat goes from looking awful that they tweak it a bit to a tweak it a bit too. It's just the same cat they started exactly.
Speaker 2: Also, the foam shape they cut out that is like a two D flat shape that then apparently suddenly looks like a three D cat.
Speaker 3: And you didn't tell us we needed foam at the start either. I got all the bits together and heard her only phone.
Speaker 2: Damn it.
Speaker 3: Just they're hacking up sofa cushions.
Speaker 2: And so was So do we think that that really happened in a sense that like maybe he drunkenly gave them a crash course in how to maybe do that, maybe or as Ronnie just observed his dad doing it. M maybe I don't know. I don't know actually, or maybe it just yeah, maybe he just observed it and this is just his his mind is just thinking, Oh, I've seen him do it enough time. Yeah, I don't know what possesses him to have a go where there's no need for him to do that?
Speaker 3: Is it an adult told me to do this, and he follows what adults tell him to do.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's very true, although he's a stranger. Yeah, so yeah, we get to see his attempt.
Speaker 3: Oh, poor Ferrari, what have you become? Ferrari? Oh my god? Again set dressing team props. You've nailed it.
Speaker 2: Is there a syringe sticking out of it for no real reason? Yeah? How didn't really get that?
Speaker 3: I guess that was the chemicals he's pumping in. Maybe he doesn't maybe me know what the chemicals are, and he's just tried to put anything in that he thinks and that awful like golf ball sized eye, the teeth at funny angles, blood.
Speaker 2: All over it. So, I mean, yeah, it was never going to be great?
Speaker 3: Was it? Cover it and draw it be fine? Ylophone won't know.
Speaker 2: But the way that they set that up of the you know, we've we've now seen what he's done, and then Steve turns up again, demanding it back. You better not have touched it. I want it back exactly as it was. Yeah, that's almost like a chuckle vision episode of Life.
Speaker 3: Too Late.
Speaker 2: Brothers try a taxidermy, but.
Speaker 3: When he sells the I love it back or whatever? Who ferrari. I'm just seeing them out there, like debating what we're going to call this rabbit, Like, what's the best name that we can give this rabbit? Yeah, what's going to get a great laugh here? Yeah, we're so limited on jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, poor old mister Blenkin has to go off back to his own story and we won't ever find out what happened. It'd be interesting, if I guess. It's a bit like what they did in Cucumber of having all the separate stories put into linking together. Yeah, you could have a separate story entirely about that family. Yeah, you could like an anthology where it's not self contained but is.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know what you mean. I don't know if there's a term for that, but that'd be a good concept.
Speaker 3: It's just ven diagrams, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So like a bit like love actually, like the way that they all sort of are connected but vaguely. Yeah. So it was really crap example to use, but it's just what pops work. So yeah, and he importantly notes that he's been told that the taxidermist mister Oliver is an old man in his seventies. By the way, did you notice that Wilfred Oliver wa is the same initials as why is Al? Yeah? I only noticed that because I was writing WO to stand.
Speaker 3: For I didn't know what his surname was. That's where it occurred.
Speaker 2: So yeah, more dark stuff now, lighting a match, mm hmm. He has a vision of the house burning.
Speaker 3: What is watching on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we see her funeral.
Speaker 3: Mmm. I like that.
Speaker 2: You know that thing where they do one shot cut into another shot where it's like quite similar. Yeah, and the ball in the bag going into the path and then the coffin going into the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's quite cool. That's what I wanted, Like, if I to work in film, I just want to spend the whole time coming up with cool transitions. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We had it last week with the skateboard wheel and the coffee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My favorite is is when it's like a character walks from one set into another set and it looks like we've cut into another, but it's actually they built the.
Speaker 2: Sets next Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's so good. They do that a lot in the second and third Sore films. There's a lot of those, like back to Back. Were just like cut through some police table or whatever and you straightened the crime scene from a bedroom or whatever. Yeah, it's just because they built the sets next to each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good. They do a lot of that in Sherlock in the first couple of series, they did so much like physical stuff, practical stuff to make it, to make the cool effects.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really cool when they put the effort in like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be so much fun, like working out how to do all these things back before CGI was just an option, and how to make everything work. I've spent ages.
Speaker 2: I was working with someone once and they said they were mocking like director of photography and saying, what kind of rubbish role is that? You just all you do is point a camera and film. I'm like, well, actually, there's a lot more.
Speaker 3: To it than that. When a job's done, well you don't even know that they've exactly exactly, but you'd notice if it wasn't there exactly cheaper and cheaper.
Speaker 2: So Wolf turns up he's Ronny's father. Yeah, this is his house, which it took me till like the second or the watch to realize. So, so it turns out Ronnie has broken in to his dad's house. He's been camping out there.
Speaker 3: For some reason that's never really on into.
Speaker 2: No, well, I guess he. I think he's been doing a lot of processing and I think going back to the scene of where it will happened, He's is important to him. Yeah, I don't know what he's intending to do when he confront if you know, if was he intending to confront his dad or did he just want to go there and have a look around, do you know? Yeah, but yes, he finds it. It turns out that he is an actor, did the voice of wise Oul and also latterly a taxidermist. Yes, because that's a logical career progression.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what you do. It happens so frequently.
Speaker 2: When the acts related.
Speaker 3: It's transferable skills. Did you notice. I don't know if it's intentional that when the dad finds running upstairs that he's perched on the bath like a bird. I don't know if that's what that really means, but it struck me that it must be intentional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't actually clocked that, but you're Yeah.
Speaker 3: Otherwise you just be sat on it. You wouldn't be perched with your feet up on there.
Speaker 2: I just felt that he was sort of hunched and like feeling vulnerable in the corner. But yeah, that works as well, a.
Speaker 3: Bit of a chat and a catchup on what's going on. That's drinking. He doesn't approve. It's been to Pickering for toy fair. Pickering is about twenty miles that way, Okay, points out of window, and there is a toy museum. I think I've been. I can't remember, Okay, And he mentions, I don't know if you're aware of this. The one of the Bungles was there, not the creepy one? Yeah? Have you seen the creepy one? So you aware of Bungle b from Rainbow? Yeah, there was an original Bungle, right, The one that you know of was post pilot Bungle. Oh, the pilot Oh my god, had this.
Speaker 2: Guy whoa Now that's the stuff for nightmares, right, and the owl people from Scooby Doo that Yeah, yeah, to keep me awake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was much more godly fied.
Speaker 2: Yes, subsequently pink for one thing.
Speaker 3: That's Georgeorge.
Speaker 2: Oh, Bungles still brown.
Speaker 3: And yeah, but he's not the stuff of light anymore. We'll reserve that for the weird Zip creature and whatever.
Speaker 2: They Yeah, what is he?
Speaker 3: I understand that Bungles meant to be a bet and George is meant to be a hippo or something. Yes, what the fuck is Zippy meant to be?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I felt they had left. I don't know. He is nothing in nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah you probably know this, but the person who voiced Zippy, Roy Skelton, did a lot of darlic voices back in the day on Yeah, I didn't know a lot of the actually in the seventies, do sound like Zippy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you mention just slightly gayer. Yeah, it's a smage of Kenneth Williams.
Speaker 2: And they're planning. Well, they were trying to bring words our back. Computure animation would have been crap. Yes, I actually agree with him on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, none of them are good?
Speaker 2: Are they.
Speaker 3: Give me? Live action? Thomas? The tank?
Speaker 2: Literally? Yes, CGI has its place, it does, but the ch you get in more sort of hand done things is just yeah, and.
Speaker 3: I know it's a tangent, but I don't understand what the need is for making lots of kids TV stuff because you don't really watch it again as an adult, so so just reach you just repeat it over and over again. These kids know nothing. They're literally brand new.
Speaker 2: They don't know.
Speaker 3: None of these kids aging this was forty years old, one better entertainment. They will accept it just the same as anyone else did when they first had it. It's a it's an industry that doesn't need to exist. Well, it's like Christmas and ones. We've got like ten of them just recycling around around every year.
Speaker 2: I don't know. The thing is they churn out nine it is obviously shit, but like some of it. The new stuff that comes out I'm sure is gold and like it will take off. And so it seems a shame not to, you know, to deprive children of I.
Speaker 3: Hear blue is amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh it is. I've seen it when I when I was working at school. Yeah, he reminded me of burn a Black from Black Books. I'm sure he has a line about children always look surprised everything is new to them. Yeah, anyway, that's more serious matters. Yeah, yeah, because Monday would have been the sister's fiftieth birthday as well as back therefore being the anniversary of her death.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's the fact that it's such a long time, like it's fifty years it's been, like that is a long time for all this to be buried. Yeah, which again really reminds me of Czardines. It's that generational thing of like it's been I mean it's even longer in this one. But yeah, crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because yeah, when when a thing becomes more than half of your life ago, yet it's still so important, you can't ever really move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the mat the you know, the dad obviously he's got away with it this long. He thinks he's safe, and so at this point, the way that it's being painted is that it was Ronnie's fault.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ronnie did something presumably started this fire that we've worked out as happened, and the sister died during this. However, indeed not so much. And it's the fact that Dad is still blaming the son. He's still saying like, oh, it isn't your fault, like but implying that it was you did it, Yeah, even if it wasn't your.
Speaker 2: Fault, because it protects him. Yeah, he's selfish and he's just using He literally is just using his son.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so literally the lines start to blurn out.
Speaker 2: This is a cool bit, yeah, where it gets superimposed into the Yeah film.
Speaker 3: Half animation, half live action, well not half live action, but a percentage live action with Reese and all the other characters.
Speaker 2: He's so good in that bit.
Speaker 3: They said this was the bit of the film first, so they could get all the perspectives right and like proportions and things, okay, and the film at the same time as mister King and you just have to go and do that one day in this little green screen with like cardboard boxes to look like match boxes and things all painted green. Yeah, And they said that it was the height of COVID, so they'd be like the animated guy was watching on the monitors to like check the proportions and things and have to ask if you'd come over to like resize the match boxes, and then they have to reset and come back in and like wow, picking back and forth. Yeah, and yeah, I don't think I think didn't enjoy it because it was weird and techy, but I was happy obviously how it turned out.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I always love those fusion of live action animation when it's done well like that, like you bed nobs and broomsticks and Mary Poppins obviously much more impressive back in those days.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't feel here like it's just a person on a green screen like he feels yeah, the stuff in front of him and stuff behind him, he's interacting and picking stuff up, and.
Speaker 2: The quality on him m fuzziness. Yeah, And yeah, as I say, it's performance there, like he really reverts back to being a child, and you feel for him that because he actually is being responsible, he's trying to be, but he's not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been told not to do all these things.
Speaker 2: And so this is the point where if it wasn't already obvious, you are shown that wise Aul is literally that literally the dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's very quite upsetting, isn't it, just seeing this beloved cartoon character slumped in a chair drunk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really sad actually, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this figure that is supposed to be the figure that you trust and that keeps you safe and he's just in the corner, like doesn't give a shit.
Speaker 3: And again and not another thing. I'm not realized until this point that that is their living room in these shots like that the shape of that fireplace is the same fireplace that's there. Yeah, yeah, so very dark turn at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, before we move on to that, though, there's the again where they tread that line of dark and comedy where he says gross and balls are on even fox sake, and she's just like, ah, he said balls. I didn't think that was the worst word in the in the line.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like I was trying to justify in that head of like, well, maybe she's just too young that she doesn't know what she doesn't know what fuck is, but she knows that balls are rude exactly.
Speaker 2: I suppose you could say she's heard, she hears for fuck's sake and stuff like that so much she's become desensitized too. It doesn't mean anything, whereas balls is a bit more specific maybe yeah, yeah, which again, you know, he's a terrible parent. It's normalized in their household in front of the children who just say fuck sake all the time. Yeah, and yeah, quite hard to talk about the next bit. So the owl slash Dad basically makes Runny go upstairs with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we get the cut back to like live action of what's actually happening with the birthday party of this poor girl there with her matches and birthday cake, because they're going upstairs showing for anyone that's not realized what's going on that this did happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, it's so horrible.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I mean, any one bit of it would be it would be awful on its own, but all combined together, you just don't know what to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what obviously happened to Ronnie, but the fact that the cost of that the daughter died, yeah, being a bandon.
Speaker 2: And that therefore to protect himself from being found out about that, he's lete take the blame. Yeah, well just what an awful man, what a monster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you can't in that situation like protect the kid that's.
Speaker 2: Left, well he's obviously you know he he should never been a parent. No, it's like, oh, because he says, oh, you know, I loved you and all that, but yeah, if you love someone, you don't do that. Yeah. It's so sad.
Speaker 3: It's the way he's capitalized on how much this kid like listens to the wise aptl and oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's he's used using it as this like control because they mentioned that, don't they they say, he says, Ronnie says to him, I always did everything wise Ouse said. And there's this sort of implication that it's about what they did together. Yeah, and Wilf's like.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was just a game, you know you enjoyed it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, growth Yeah, this episode will definitely need a warning at the start, yes, so oh yeah, And it's that whole thing of when he's he's actually confronting him with the knife and why did you let me take the blame? And all he says is, oh, let's not dredge up the past, you know, like because to him he doesn't A. He doesn't want it to come up because he doesn't want to face consequences, but B it's not that significant to him.
Speaker 3: No, and it was years ago like in his head. Who cares like it.
Speaker 2: Done ruined this boy's whole life?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, and how he just can't see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Runner's aside is enough enough. I take issue with his choice of weapon. Of all the knives, a breadknife probably the one you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Do probably, but maybe does that just speak to the fact that he was never really deep down he was never going to do that. Yeah, maybe, because this is what I really like actually about this, Like we were saying comparing it to Sardines that this then, you know, Sardines is one episode, and it's something that the series does a lot where we've said before, where you know, people who have suffered abuse or trauma, or they have mental health issues then do something awful like murder, And in this case, this could so easily have been another one of those, but they swerve that and they take it in a completely different direction, and this is the the best possible way it could go from where it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's reclaiming his life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I like that he was tempted, Yeah, but then he decides, actually, you don't have any power over me.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to drag you be dragged down to your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to become Yeah, yeah exactly. Yeah, it's such a strong ending, such a powerful ending, uplifting ending in a way it is it is, and the music like it swells and you know, we haven't got to that bit yet when he's chasing him after out. You know, it's it's amazing, really powerful. But yeah, at this point he stabs the pillow instead conveniently, so we get we get him covered in feathers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it becomes the wise out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but that is really cool. Oh yeah, he looks he looks brilliant with the you know, the feathers, the feathers on.
Speaker 3: Him any angles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and he's like he decides, I'm going to go and I'm going to tell Mum that's at least the starting point, that's what he's going to do, and then she'll help him, presumably with what to do next. But Wolfe's just panicking obviously, and like, you know, you can't clutching its straws. And it's that bit when he tries he puts the voice on. Yes, like he's trying to play his trump card, but this time it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: It's finally lost its power. He sees through it.
Speaker 2: But that's such a creepy bit when the effect comes on the voice and he does his face is so sort of creepy and the feathers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because obviously objectively he put the voice on, but it wouldn't sound the same. So this is still presumably Ronnie hearing it as that Like, it's still got some power over him because he's hearing it as that voice.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a good point. The power that it has over him is still affecting him, but he's able to overcome it. Yeah, it's not that it doesn't have power, but he's able to be stronger.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So good. There's so much to it, but yeah, and so he leaves and we transition back to animation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then this time he looks like the grown up.
Speaker 3: Well that he actually grows like as a person, like physically and like metaphorically. Yeah, and becomes from a child to an adult.
Speaker 2: I like that, and really looks like Reese's the nose and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, they said they went back and forth on this is whether it should be live action or not at that point.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah, interesting.
Speaker 3: And they decided that it worked. I think someone in the production just said, I think it should be animation.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I can't imagine it the action. No, because the fact that he becomes the owl again and and this this is what I love as well, that he's now the owl no longer has the you know, the reassuring like you know RP sort of accent. But he's he's just as you know, all over the place you in the background, like he's lost his control and flapping about from side to side. It's really fair.
Speaker 3: Can see why you might not have done it an animation of like, well, animation is the bad thing, like is representing all the bad memories and stuff. Like, he's breaking out of the animation and it's becoming real again.
Speaker 2: You could say he's breaking out of it, but I choose to say.
Speaker 3: That, actually, he's taking control of it exactly.
Speaker 2: That's why it works for me, is that it's it's because he's not going to get rid of all that stuff, no, but he has to learn to live with it, Yeah, and take control of it. And so yeah, the fact that he's now leaving and being his own agent in this within this this world of animation that represents his life and.
Speaker 3: His history, and he's an adult in it like a child himself.
Speaker 2: Exactly, exactly, really good. Yeah, brilliant final line as well, telling him to get stuff.
Speaker 3: Good on. You're running perfect perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was reading. I mean, we often tend to read the same Reddit threads.
Speaker 3: I haven't been on the redit okay, I didn't get around to that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I saw some people. I feel like they started these threads when the episodes were airing, and people were actually typing theories as it was airing, which I find a bit strange, but just watched the thing anyway. But people were thinking that it was going to go down a weird route like that he taxi dermied his sister and he was her body was going to be stuff or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Actually, recent Steve said that they did, like think, I don't know whether they considered it or whether they thought that the obvious thing would be it would end with Ronnie taxiderming the dad.
Speaker 2: But again, that's that lets him become something he does to become. This is so this is so refreshing actually for this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's restrained. It's like it's not going for the shock thing. Yes, in a way, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh I love it. It's really good, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's really fantastic. I remembered it being good, but it's it's better than I remember exactly. And you know, I always say this episode I showed to people. It's when I don't show to people because you know, you never know what someone's gone through. And like it might trigger something, but it's so good and I want to be able to show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is what's tricky about show like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we said earlier about episodes overlap like Van diagrams. There is a slight overlap in this one, slight in mister King.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's.
Speaker 3: In Welsh okay, crossing the road or something. Yeah, there we go, that's the nu. Yeah, so ratings what you're going for.
Speaker 2: I've written down an eight mm provisionally, but I'm now asking myself, is there any reason why I've made it an eight and not nine? Why why have I pulled it down to an eight? And I'm not sure really I think actually, through talking about it, I think it deserves to be a nine.
Speaker 3: Same. Yeah, I was doing exactly the same thing in my head, like why I have a nine? If we don't use it, what's to stop it being there? So yeah, and it's been a while, it's a given one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well done. Wise, how.
Speaker 3: Big question? I almost like, as we were watching it, if you would point out, if you ever saw it, did you spot the hair?
Speaker 2: Well I'm not because it's so dark. I'm not sure, but I feel like it was probably in amongst the taxidamian animals, like on the mantelpiece. No, oh, it was.
Speaker 3: I don't know how else to describe it. But you know that where the door is the creepy owl comes through. Yeah, it's on a set of shelves to the right. Okay, it's visible throughout the episode, but I don't know how else you describe it. Yeah, okay, it's just shut on a shelf on its own.
Speaker 2: Fair that's the bonus. One of the stuffed ferrari that.
Speaker 3: Looks a bit like Sure they chose it to be a rabbit for.
Speaker 2: That because no one has a pet hair. But well yeah, realistically, okay, cool Series seven old done amazing. It was a good one.
Speaker 3: That's on lot my phone for quiz questions and scary bungle of it.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, the stuff of nightmares. So serious seven quiz.
Speaker 3: Quick time, Merrily, Merrily, what flavor of milkshake did Darren spill down Donna's back bringing them together?
Speaker 2: Now? I know this because because whenever there's a milkshake on offer, this is Ben's choice. That's how I remembered it. It was an aureo. It was I'm more of a banana. Do you not like banana. Oh, I love banana.
Speaker 3: That is the only flavor I don't like. This is the only fruit I don't like.
Speaker 2: We don't even like real bananas.
Speaker 3: No, really, I wish I did because it's so convenient.
Speaker 2: But there's a big difference between real banana taste and fake banana taste. Oh, I know this isn't it because there's a type of banana that used to be that. There isn't anything the.
Speaker 3: Flavors based on the old one. Yeah, yeah, well done. AnyWho, because that was my really hard question.
Speaker 2: I thought it was, and I actually considered using that as a question, and then I thought, oh, he might think of that one, and you did. Well, you'll probably get this. My question is, while Darren accuses Callum of wearing an outfit from Marks and Sparks, which designer labels he actually wearing Callum was Margaters.
Speaker 3: If I don't know, thinking out loud of different brands, I want to I'm torn between something like stepping Up it's gone By. I'm gonna go with Debenham.
Speaker 2: Can I pause before you give your answer and just say that I did say which designer label? So like not not like a department store? Okay, a designer. You go boss, it is, Yes, I helped you there. You could thank me later, maybe we'll see.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so mister King, yes, what vegetables has blondel when he won prizes for? Oh?
Speaker 2: I know what she says, Oh is it a turnips? Yes, because I feel like there's a joke there with turned nips and him looking at her breasts. Oh okay, maybe that's just me.
Speaker 3: I was almost I wrote that question. I wrote down leaks.
Speaker 2: Because at the end she says, you'll do my leaks a world it's so confident. No, she says, my turn if some one praises My question is what does Owen say he thinks causes hurricanes?
Speaker 3: God fighting?
Speaker 2: Yes' who's going?
Speaker 3: So? Is that we have?
Speaker 2: We all got them all?
Speaker 3: So? Yeah? Good nine lives cat It's really easy. Which actor does Barnabus want to play him in the I TV adaptation?
Speaker 2: Wait till he hear my question. So he wants Matt Damon? Yes? My question is which acted as Ezra suggest to play barn and the TV adaptation.
Speaker 3: Now, this is the downside of me writing the questions at the time, that they don't let me go back and check and see context. Around. He wants someone British. I want to say, Benedict, come back.
Speaker 2: It's not right. I'm afraid it was Jude Law.
Speaker 3: Oh well, okay, kidnap. What is Shane's dream job?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question. Shane's dream job.
Speaker 3: Shane with Daniel Mays. By the way, I knew that.
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of him talking about a dream job. I remember. Well, actually, I don't know if he says it, or maybe Clifford says it about him, but either way, I can't remember.
Speaker 3: He does say that sparks something really annoyed.
Speaker 2: I don't think it will. I'm going to have to guess.
Speaker 3: Gardener he wants to be a pastry chef.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, that rings a bell. Okay, we're still even then.
Speaker 3: Well, I haven't had my question yet, but yes, if I get this right, that's.
Speaker 2: It's likely different type of question. What color is the car that Laura and Shane escaping at the end escaping?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's red or blue? I'm pretty certain that it's red.
Speaker 2: It is red. That type of question would be a good one if you want to ask me for me to not know, because I'm terrible at visual memory.
Speaker 3: Well, I did think this before, because you often said that you take your questions from the scripts and things script won't say the color exactly. Do. I think this is far too easy? But he undern act of kindness? What year has Bob traveled.
Speaker 2: Back from twenty sixty two?
Speaker 3: That is easy? Well, I hoped you'd remember sixty and you'd go, well, sixty three would add up to nine, and you'd go with sixty three.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately not, No, No, to be fair, we did any record that a few days ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anything was going to be easier. Well, hopefully we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the dinner scene, what kind of wine is Helen drinking? Red? White or rose? Give your multiple choice.
Speaker 3: Read, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It is red? So your last two answers were both read. I thought that might throw you.
Speaker 3: I didn't ever think in my head. I was certainly was a Merlow And I don't know why.
Speaker 2: They maybe mention it?
Speaker 3: Do they mention what it is?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure? Actually, okay, but yeah it was red one cool.
Speaker 3: So last question for the episode we've literally watched about an hour ago. What animal was Dr Pepper Derek's neighbors taxidermy commission? Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh, you did my neighbors.
Speaker 3: USh for those listening home. I'm crossing fingers.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, literally because I laughed at it when I said it, and now I've forgot more animal it was. I was laughing more at the dr pepper.
Speaker 3: That was nearly the question. I've nearly flipped it the other way round.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's something small and fairy.
Speaker 3: You're getting that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, hamster. I thought it was hamster. What is it?
Speaker 3: Bobtail?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a bird, is it?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. It's a cat. I think Oh, I think it's a term for anything that's had, like has a short tail. I think it's generally a cat, A bobtail.
Speaker 2: Cat is Oh okay, okay, yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Looking for bob tail. I might have been leaning on cap but I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, you're certainly not.
Speaker 3: Oh this is true. So if I get this, I might win a second Oh really, it's a second series. It is four to four currently with a question to go.
Speaker 2: But you've got a question. It's period in fact, Yes, I don't need that because I'm making it out.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so annoying, because I have got that if it was.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Yeah, we've gone back and forth on whether we do that. In earlier series when it came up, we came up with new questions, and then last time I just let you do it anyway, and I got annoyed and I was like, no, if he's changing it, And now I feel bad because I know you're not going to get this as I.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's names, isn't it.
Speaker 2: What is the name of Ronnie's sister.
Speaker 3: Ronnie's sister, I think I know, Okay. I was hoping it was because I remember she's called Mimsy. There was a lot of names that I intentionally didn't say because I was like, well, if I don't say them, he won't go. Well, I'll ask that as a question.
Speaker 2: Yes, the sister's name.
Speaker 3: I'm torn between two. I think it's either Rebecca or Joanne. Right, it's really embarrassing if it's neither. But I think it's Rebecca. Is that that I've lost her? You've lost? Is that?
Speaker 2: I feel so bad because you were so close? It is Joane and Rebecca was the character in Sardine's that I thought, that's so interesting that you thought of Rebecca. But it was I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: It's still a draw, okay, and draw.
Speaker 2: Well, it doesn't affect the overall standings. No, so we're on a draw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think. I think am I two behind?
Speaker 2: I think I was pretty close. Yeah from what I remember, Yeah, you are too behind?
Speaker 3: Yeah behind, it would have been one.
Speaker 2: Mmm. I feel so bad now.
Speaker 3: It's fine, is what it is.
Speaker 2: I had to change it at the last minute. Okay, well, what an anti climax. It was a draw. Well.
Speaker 3: Series seven are wrapped up, but a good one it has.
Speaker 2: I think we say that every time, but I do think. I think from comments I've been seeing a lot of people felt Series six was a bit of a dip in quality. Yeah, I mean I can understand that we didn't give any eights or nines in that series.
Speaker 3: For a series that's gone on as long as it has, especially PBC series, like the joke that we have the Good Place of years there were twelve episodes or whatever. Like, it holds up well. Like, it doesn't significantly drip, It doesn't significantly drop in quality. No, Like we always say, there's some that we don't like as much, but it's not because they're objectively bad. They just maybe you don't vibe with them.
Speaker 2: Generally, it's a very high quality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I do think seven is a really good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just two more to go.
Speaker 3: M We will tell you next episode where our hair was today. Let us know if you found it. Join us in a few weeks when we move back serious eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but until then, I think it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 3: We can never really leave, do you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcast suspended by contain bunting