Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, I remember two here on a Valentine's Day edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And we'll get back to the text line coming up here in just a couple of minutes. Some good texts coming in that I certainly I would like to get to. But one thing that has definitely stood out in the last I don't know a week or so, when it comes to Indiana basketball fans on social media, I know that there are many that are just and that's really what sucks about Twitter. I'm sure you've noticed this as well, Austin. That really the new and uh, I guess, I don't know if it's the new wave of Twitter slash x, but man creating faceless accounts that really is just for parody, but also at times, I mean, I don't know, just like that, when I think of the new age Twitter accounts that are out there that are you know, basically just aggregating content. And I mean there's not even a platform that they have as far as a website or even like a podcast, but it's just a Twitter account or even an Instagram account that's like CBB hoops, right, and you know, it's got the blue check, it's got a bunch of followers on a follow and it just you know, people assume that that's like a reliable source for news. So there are accounts like that that follow college football, college basketball, NFL, NBA, and some of them have built up followings that are more than a million people. So like, you know, clearly they're doing something that's working for them, but it's really kind of watered down. What is social media? Like the majority of my replies from like Kentucky Fans Now and things is it's just a parody account that's trying to get some jokes off, which is nothing wrong with that, but what I've noticed is some people will put stuff out there that they they're just trying to get a laugh out of people. They don't take Twitter too serious, which is kind of their brand, but also you know, like there's a hint of seriousness to it. As well, and like they want to be funny jokesters whenever they're just trying to troll, but then they put stuff out there to kind of make it seem like they actually, you know, are sharing news, like they try to play both sides of it. So anyways, before I say this, I want Indiana fans listening to know this. I know that a lot of you see it as a joke and don't believe it's real. And when I'm talking about is Brad Stevens coming to Indiana to be their next head coach. So again, I know that there's like some parody troll accounts out there that are photoshopping stuff and you know, just just trying to be knuckleheads online, which there's no harm in that. But I also have seen enough to where there are Indiana fans that truly believe that Brad Stevens would come back and be their coach. And look, maybe they're right. I don't think so. I kind of feel like Brad Stevens was ever going to come back and you know, to college basketball, he would have done it the last time when they offered him ten million dollars a year. So Indiana, I don't know why because there's no real reason for me to root for them. I don't root for them. I'm not a fan by any means, but I feel like, for more than a decade, I have found myself without even really trying to, I just find myself defending them and their program, because they really are a has been when it comes to accomplishments in what they've actually been able to do. They haven't been to a Final four in over twenty years. Prior to that, they had a long drought before then, and they really haven't been good. They had two Sweet sixteen teams under Tom Crean, but outside of that, in the last twenty years, twenty plus years, they've been bad and we all know that. So there's really no I mean, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. But what I think is a fact that is a good thing about Indiana basketball is if they just get a coach that is good enough, competent, that has a winning formula, and he can utilize all the resources that come with a job like Indiana, they could be a consistent top ten, top fifteen program. They've just been wrong with the coach every time since Bob Knight, other than the one time they hired a really good coach who did the silliest thing that should have never been against the rules, but it was, and that was Kelvin Sampson, who was texting recruits after midnight or something. When you go back and look at what exactly it was that led to him getting fired and basically getting a show cause. Leading college basketball for a long time, it's not only is it crazy to think that was against the rules considering where we are now and what you're allowed to do, but even then it was stupid. Like, let's be like I always said, when it comes to the nc doubla, we're gonna get We're gonna get older, decades are gonna go by, things are gonna be different, and we're going to look back on how stupid the NCAA was and and really just kind of be beside ourselves as far as like, can you believe their amateurism model? They tried to stick with that for generations and they actually were able to do it until you know, Congress got involved and said, hey, what you're doing is illegal, and sure enough, that's why they now have to pay the players and share revenue, and that's why there's a there's a settlement where former college players are going to get paid that haven't played in the last you know, five six years, because again what they were doing is illegal. So anyways with Indiana, why are they even doing Like if you're setting yourself up for Brad Stevens, like you're gonna be dissap pointed. I mean, maybe he does come back and coach, because what some people are saying is that last time he couldn't leave Boston because his kids were too young and they really wanted to stay in Boston. But now his kids are older and this is the dream job for him. Again. I just I feel like if Brad Stevens was going to come back to college basketball, he would have already done it. He has a phenomenal job. He is the GM of the Boston Celtics, one of the biggest brands in the history of basketball, and he doesn't even have to coach. He's just I mean, and by the way, they just want a title, Like why would he leave that? I Mean, there's now a lot like the guys who were successful in college basketball in that brief time where Brad Stevens was a big, big name where he took Butler to two straight championship games, the game was different than a lot of the guys that were successful, then they've left because they hate it, or then they don't want to do it. You think Brad Stevens wants to come back and go through all of me. It's one thing if you're an up and coming coach that's hungary, that really hasn't arrived, and you know, hey, no matter what they're doing as far as rule changes, no matter what the temperature looks like, as far as college sports, I'm going to adapt because I want to win. But the guys who have had it their way and been able to do it the way they wanted to for decades and stack up final fours and maybe even a national title or two, those are the guys that are like, yeah, I'm not reinventing myself at sixty plus. The way I've been able to succeed is the only way I want to do it, the only way I know how.
Speaker 3: To do it.
Speaker 2: And I'm not gonna completely flip the script and be a different coach this late in the game because they're not hungry as much because they've already accomplished some things and had some real success. And Brad Stevens. I mean, I just don't see why he would want to come back to college basketball. So just get it out of your mind and maybe you can get a Bruce Pearl, maybe you can get a Chris Beard. But if not, Indiana should just go find a winning coach that can relate to players, that players want to play for and knows what he's doing as a ball coach. I mean, I don't know if if Pat Kelsey's and Mark Popes grow on trees. I don't believe that they do, but that that was a consistent thing with those guys. They had won everywhere they'd been, They had proven they can win. And I think the whole second guessing of a guy because well he did it this level and this is not you know that Utah Valley in Winthrop, that's not the acc of the sec Well, you're right, but I just feel like if there is, if there is, if there ever, is going to be some big adjustment as far as being able to get players because you're not a made man, you're not a big name. There's recruits that are being recruited by you now, but before you got the job, they never heard of you. Right, Like you can overcome all of that. If you have good resources and you are relatable, players want to play for you. Think about how many guys on this team right now that are playing for Pat Kelsey didn't know who he was twelve months ago. I might have, but it wouldn't shock me if they didn't, because you know, he was at Winthrop in Charleston, a winner. But you know, Chucky came from Wisconsin. I'm sure he wasn't super familiar with Charleston basketball. Maybe he was, I'm not sure, But I just if Indiana goes all in on the Brad Stevens thing and that becomes the noise coming from Bloomington that they think they got him this time, and then he lets him down like you walked yourself into that, if that's what ends up happening, all right, FABO two. If I'm seven one seventy nine hundred as the number, If you guys want to jump in and join us on the phone lines, Let's go to Terry, who joins us here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: What's up Terry and a couple of things. Why you just mis mentioned the Indiana job. Do you think that Louisville shouldn't lock down Pat Kelsey because they may come after him, and or North Carolina could be a place that they would go after Pat Kelsey. Do you think either one of those jobs is a step up from Louisville or it's more like a lateral move or an ius case pssibly a step down.
Speaker 2: I would say I'd say this, Terry, I think that that Carolina is a better job because to me, it's in that I think the three best jobs in college basketball are Kentucky, Carolina, and Kansas. I think you can pick whichever one you want of those three to claim it's the best. I think Kentucky having so many coaches that have won national championships and being here around it, I think it's the best job. So yeah, Carolina would be one of very few programs that Louisville could lose a coach to. However, Louisvill's also an elite jobs, so they need to pay the more money. I mean, they're not in a great spot financially right now. That was reported by the CJ earlier this week. They're really paying for the buyouts and whatnot that they you know, they had to do to get him here. So Indiana, I don't worry I don't think Anyiana would come after him, and if they did, I would be shocked if he didn't say, look, I don't want to go, so let's get a new contract done. But North Carolina, I think they keep Hubert Davis for one more year and then after next year, if he stinks, they'll probably fire him and go after somebody else. And yeah, I think Pat Kelsey would be an attractive name, especially if he keeps winning at Louisville and they haven't given him a new deal by that point. I don't know what Josh Hurt's going to do, but I do know that he has to be aware that Pat Kelsey is on the cheap right now. And if he continues to win, and Louisville makes the tournament, maybe wins a game in the tournament, you'd be foolish not to lock him down because somebody else will come after him. And they won't think that, hey, Louisville's allows you program, we're gonna go take their coach. They're gonna say, wow, Louisville's not paying that guy enough. We can triple his salary.
Speaker 5: Right well, and let me I want to get to the ror reason I call him then I'll hang up and listen to your response. I'm taking a beating on the Kentucky message board because these injuries and lack of transparency drive me crazy. So Matt today on the show just pretty matter factly said, Robinson and Butler you probably won't see them again the rest of the regular season.
Speaker 6: Coach Pope says nothing like that. Yeah, I mean, why would he not come out and just say, hey, we're gonna shut these two guys down for a couple of weeks. See what happens. In My other point to that, hang up with Let's say he does that. They have seven games. Lest let's say they go two and five in their last seven games? What do you think that does to their seating? If anything?
Speaker 4: And they'll hang up and.
Speaker 5: Listen to Terry.
Speaker 2: What was the record you said at the end, So if they finished seven and what they have?
Speaker 6: They got seven regular season games. But let's say he shuts them down and they go two and five.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got you right. I appreciate the call, man. Yeah, look the injury situation. As far as transparency, I would say, if Pope knows like he if it's true that Pope knows for sure that he is not gonna have Robinson or Butler the rest of the regular season, and it sounds like, I mean, nobody's it's not beneficial. But I keep hearing that kirk Ree said there's no chance he plays the rest of the way. So as to why they haven't just come out and said that, I don't know. So it's got to be gamesmanship, making your opponent second guess as far as which personnel you're going to have available. I mean, I can't give you an answer as to why Pope doesn't do that, but my guess would be either gamesmanship or maybe he realizes that he's not at all aware of if it's possible these guys, Like maybe he said that and then with two games left, the training staff for UK realizes, hey, he's good to go, he can play. So, I mean, Pat Kelsey has unfortunately had many opportunities to talk about injured players thus far because he's had a lot of injuries. And I think we've learned a lot about Pat throughout this first season, and one of the things I've learned is that he is not going to talk a whole lot about injuries specifically, and when pushed further to get some kind of a better update than what he's given in these press conferences, in these interviews, he's going to tell you that he's not on the training staff, he's not on the medical staff, and he doesn't have a clue. He just trusts those folks and they do such a great job. So you know, I I don't know. Maybe I'm gullible and I'm just believing these coaches as far as what they're saying, but I do think that, uh, I mean, I do think that sometimes they're just telling you the truth that they don't really know. And I think with Kentucky, and I could be wrong, Terry, I don't know. Maybe I haven't been as plugged in as others, but I do feel like there's been some injuries that you felt like were really severe with Kentucky and then it didn't end up being the case. Like it sounded like Lamont Butler was going to be out for a long long time, and then he was cleared to play against against UH South Carolina last weekend, and now he's re injured himself, which is not ideal. Jackson Robinson's same thing he played and then I don't know if he re injured it, but reaggravated or whatever it may be, to where he didn't he didn't get to go against against Tennessee because of what happened in the South Carolina game. So Inrew Carr, I feel like at times it sounded like he was gonna be out for a long time, then he randomly came back. So as far as the coach is not telling us what's happening, sometimes it may be because they just don't know for sure what's going on with the injury. And I don't mean like they're not paying attention, but it's not such a night and day, black and white kind of thing to wear. I'm sure the training staff truly says, Look, we are taking it day by day. We're going to continue to evaluate and see what makes the most sense. But I would say you're always going to have even if there's a requirement like there is in the SEC, even if there's even more so that they ask as far as what you have to put out there with transparency, I think coach is just their nature. They're still going to try to keep things as close to the best as they can.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: If Kentucky ends up finishing two and five and the rest of these games, I mean, i'd say the toughest games are I mean, you've got Auburn at home. It's at home, but Auburn is loaded, you got to go to Tuscaloos, so those are really tough. And then outside of that, you play Missouri on the road, which you can win that game. But yeah, if you're shorthanded and you don't have Butler or Robinson at all in these games and you finish two and five, I would say as long as five of those losses are not or as long as any of those losses are not to a Vandy or really, I guess not Vandy but LSU. If you lost a Vandy at home, that wouldn't be ideal. And obviously LSU is the is the worst team in the conference outside of South Carolina. So but here's the thing. I mean, if they ended up losing to Missouri, Auburn, Oklahoma on the road, Alabama at home, and Texas on the road, those are wins. Those are losses that you know, your lost column keeps getting losses added to it, but it's not really changing your resume substantially. Because Kentucky's resume is just kind of weird. They have so many wins of high value that it would take them losing to some of the bad teams in the SEC to drop them substantially. And you know what, there aren't many bad teams in the SEC. So and look, here's what's crazy. They could lose to Texas and Vandy and then go beat Alabama the place because that's kind of the weird season they're having when it comes to the resume. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side of little rom com movie draft. It won't take too long. But it's Valentine's Day. We're gonna have some fun. We'll talk to doctor Eric McElroy coming up at four forty five, So stick around right here, it's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Such a romantic love song here, Ja roll, Yeah, put it on me and Vita and little mo Well don't know who Little Mo is or Vita, but they're a part of it. And this is a great song.
Speaker 3: I just imagine young Nick Young Mercedes like singing this song like you taking the jaw roll part. Yeah, I mean she comes in with the who I guess is yeah, she just starts spinning.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is the best bar and it's the most romantic thing I've maybe ever said to my wife. But I don't want to go crazy. But every thug needs a lady and that's just that. Hits right right, very did it? Very sentimental stuff here, all right, Louisville Men's Clinic. I'm telling you, fellas, if you maybe want to do something for your significant other that isn't your typical gift for Valentine's Day or maybe an anniversary. If you are struggling in the bedroom, which it happens, it's not your fault, it's part of life. Go to the louis Of Men's Clinic. They'll get you situated and not only will you no longer have that issue, but it'll make life better for not just you, but your partner as well. Loismen's Clinic dot com is the website. Fibo two four four four four thousand is the number if you'd like to give them a call. They've got a variety of services they provide to help men become healthier, and it's one of those things that you may not even realize that you could feel a lot better than you do, because men we have this this stigma where we just you know, we're tough where we don't need to go to the doctor, we don't have any issues. We're manly men, and I know we all want to be that, but it's just not reality, because you can be the manliest of men, but at some point you may struggle with a rectotis function. You may have testosterone levels that are really low that it's not good, it's not ideal, and you may not even realize that you've had this situation for years. Maybe it's out of sight, out of mind, maybe you're in denial about it. But if you know, you know, especially when it comes to ed. But all it takes is a phone call and a visit to go see doctor Wood. They'll, uh, Look, they know this is not something that a lot of people want to be doing, right. I mean, it's awkward, it's uncomfortable, But you don't have to worry about that with them because they do this. They're passionate about it, and they're expecting people who come and see them for the first time to maybe be a little uncomfortable and maybe a little nervous and they're gonna put you at ease, and they're gonna let you know, Hey, we're going to get this figured out. Life's going to be much better for you. So Louisman's Clinic dot com FABO two four four four four thousand. All right, So we've got an interview coming up here in about fifteen minutes with the one and only doctor Eric McElroy of pro Rea Physical Therapy. But what I wanted to do today, thanks to the great idea from the one and only Austin Montgomery, stop back to the drafts. We used to do drafts pretty regularly, especially whenever we weren't in the midst of a season football basketball, just because you know, you can mix it up, get a little creative, have some fun when you're not having to talk about March madness or that kind of stuff. So rom com movies, We've got Valentine's Day today, right, And I think rom com for the most part, is a really it's a very broad genre. Because but now as I'm looking through here at IMDb and referencing other websites that like rank the rom com movies, I mean, it's quite literally a pretty easy thing to determine. Is there a romantic element involved to where part of the storyline is that there's romance meaning a couple or a potential couple, and of course is it a comedy. So I would say, of all the movies out there, rom com has got to be one of the more common genres that you see, right sure. And there could be some that are a little bit less on the romantic side, a little more on the comedy, maybe even a little bit on the raunchy side of it. But then again, as long as it has a little bit of both, it can qualify as rom com. So I'm gonna pick three, Austin's gonna pick three. I'll give you the floor first. What are you going with your first pick?
Speaker 3: Probably my first? My first pick one I love so much, crazy stupid love. Okay, that one is a great one. It's got Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Juliam Moore, my Girl, Emma Stone and really good cast, phenomenal cast. And it's the good twist, of course, halfway through when you find out that basically Steve Carell's character, Ryan Gosling's character, he's he's dating her daughter. The love that he's talking about getting them through and he knows that he's just like your average trashy kind of guy, you know, and he's trying to help him through through this love that he's talking about this girl he fell in love with and just now finding out that it's his daughter, Emma Stone, Steve Carell's daughter, Emma Stone in it. And meanwhile, Ryan Gosling's trying to make Steve Carell this like bad boy, right, trying to get him to get girls, and it's it's a fun little twist. Great movie. One of my favorite om coms ever.
Speaker 2: I really really liked it. I only watched it once. I think my wife and I went to see it in theaters, so I haven't seen it since it came out, which was a good one many years ago. But yeah, as I'm looking at the cast here and kind of remembering it, it is that cast. Sometimes you have a lot of big names together and it can just be too much not to where it's bad. But like, you know, did you really get there was there a whole lot of value in having this specific star in it because they didn't really seem to have a relevant role. That was a movie where I feel like all the big names had a very important role and it kind of all came together and worked really well. I'm going to go back in the nineties, nineteen ninety eight. I'm going the wedding singer Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. Oh yes, I mean, honestly, I'm gonna not pick all Adam Sandler movies, but I easily could have because he has a lot of other Yet that's what I was gonna say. I'm not even a big fan of Drew Berrymore at all, but when she's with Adam Sandler in a movie one, it's always a good movie, and I feel like they need to be married. I mean, don't you feel like they have? I mean, again, I'm sure it's just them being phenomenal at her job being actresses, being an actress and an actor, but I mean, it just seems like they're they're meant to be together. Yeah, and she's really likable when she's in a role that includes him, And I shouldn't say that she's like unlikable, but I've just never been a really big fan of her. But man, wedding singer is phenomenal. Every part of it. I mean, the fact that her name was going to be Julia Gulia, the fact that he's, you know, truly a wedding singer, and then he goes through the breakup. I mean it's it's Adam Sandler at his finest. And uh, there's also kind of I mean, I'm gonna look up the the cast here because there's some there's some known names that like had let me see here. And by the way, I didn't realize that Christine Taylor, that's that actually ended up being uh, that's this isn't that sailor's.
Speaker 3: Wife, Christine Taylor?
Speaker 2: I think so she married to Ben Stiller. Who's she married to? Because it's gonna drive me crazy. She's in a lot of stuff. She's in Dodgeball. I mean, she's in a lot of things. Her name is not one that really like I could tell you who she is and what she's in, but I wouldn't have known her name was Christine Taylor off the top of my head. Yet she's married to Ben Stale. I know she was married to some actor. But anyways, she's in it and she's hilarious. The other I mean, who else do we have here? I mean, I can't think of his name is gonna drive me crazy. I think John Lovetz is in it. Which is like randomly funny. You know what I'm saying, Like he's he's he's a competing wedding singer, and he's like he's losing his mind and I'm greeping able benefits. I mean, Kevin Neelan is in it as well. Billy Idol plays a really good role on the plane.
Speaker 3: The Grandma when she's singing the sugar Hill Gang.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yes, yes, and she gives meatballs in hand. Remember that. I mean that's nostalgic for me, but also I just feel like it's it's perfect. So that that's my first one. What's your second one?
Speaker 3: Adam Sandler always in like every movie, always has this completely hot wife or other. It's completely out of his league. Drew Barry More fits theme. That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: No, you're absolutely right, because something like any movie he you know that is a happy Madison production, that is the rom com element are better than others, but like more often than not, like he's with Jennifer Aniston or the girl, I mean even the woman that was in Spanglish and the wife in Spanglish, the wife and click like way out of his league. But Drew Barrymore. She's certainly attractive, but it's more believable, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which grown ups? He's with sama Hia, Yes, come on, get out of here, buddy. Second one I have to go with. I hope I don't snipe you, but I actually hope I do. Forty year old virgin. That's always been a favorite of mine. You would consider that a roum.
Speaker 2: Comrade, absolutely, because to me, that was the one I thought about when I said, Okay, that's rom com It's more on the raunchy comedy side, but textually there's still an element of romance as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great cas Steve Corell again, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd is in it, and a little Seth Rogan too. Everybody is dynamic and that is hilarious. And I was always a young, hopeless kid. I thought that I would be a forty.
Speaker 2: Year old and Elizabeth Banks before she was really big, Kevin Hart before anybody knew who he was. Yes, oh gosh, I mean, mindy is it? Mandy Kaling who's in the office. She's in it as before, Like there were many people who like Jane Len even Kat Dinnings, like there were people who were in it at the time that you knew of or maybe you didn't, and they've kind of all ended up becoming bigger names since then. One person, though, who did not really, in my opinion, ever kind of capitalize off of the momentum he had from this role was Romani Malcolm, which you may not even know the name, but that's the guy who plays Jay. Who's the guy who you know gets caught in best Buy and and his girlfriend comes in and all you know, oh, yes, like you know what I'm talking you know which guy I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: There's a hilarious back and forth between.
Speaker 2: And he never did he ever do and he was in other stuff, But I thought he was going to become like a big name in comedy with all those kind of movies with the big stars at the time. And I remember him briefly being in might have been what's the what's the figure skating movie? With Will Ferrell and Shohn Header, Oh, Blades of Glory. He was in that, And I'm sure he was in other stuff that I just don't know about. But I really thought he was going to be a big name, and maybe he is in certain aspects of Hollywood.
Speaker 3: But Judd Apatow directed movies are also great. He does super Bad and he also does Knocked Up, which is also on the big board. But those those movies are a timeless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one that is more of kind of like a teeny bopper one, but it still counts as as rom com I'm Gonna Go, She's All that? Oh Yes, with Freddy Prince Jr. And Rachel Lee Cook. It also had you remember Usher was in it, of course forgot about that, and then Matthew Lillard was in it when he was still popular. Paul Walker was in it as well, and it was it was cute, it was well done. But what I did find funny is whenever they did not another teen movie and made fun of all these kind of movies, they really really pointed out the obvious here. Rachel Lee Cook was always a snack, always hot course, but Janeie Briggs, they just put her in glasses and put her hair up in a ponytail and had her wearing like unstyle. You know, she had no style when it comes to her wardrobe. And then to make her like this smoke show, they just changed her hair and took the glasses off and put her in something nice and like you know, like it was to me. It wasn't like the ugly duckling at all. She was actually still always really hot. Your what's your last one?
Speaker 3: This one's a little bit tough. I'm in between two. I guess I'll have one as unrestricted for undrafted free agent. But I guess one of one of my favorite films ever happens to be a rom com. I don't know if you've seen it, but it's called Can't Hardly Wait? Hell, yeah, no, Can't Hardly Wait? Movie?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that Julius styles?
Speaker 3: No, that's uh Jennifer low.
Speaker 2: Yes is hilarious. Yes, it's awesome. I'm getting that mixed up with us about you?
Speaker 3: Also a great movie. Yeah, I watch that movie with my buddies growing up. There's something that we all went over the house with you. I was watching it with the boys. We watched it. Some substances involved, but it was also a good show or absolutely fantastic movie. I loved it. And it's uh if if you know, you know, And there's a lot of good fun inside jokes about that, and uh, it's timeless. I've got I've gotten the fiance to watch it. She loves it too. But I love it all my nineties kids. They know about Ken Hartley.
Speaker 2: Waite, good good stuff. That's that's that's in my will, that that's a reminder that we are actually close enough in age to where like we kind of have the same Like John and I don't have the same era of on certain things, you know what I mean, But you and I do, and it makes me. It makes people very happy. So I was gonna go with another Sandling movie because I actually think Click is a very, very phenomenal movie. Oh yes, a really good story makes you appreciate things. But I'm not gonna go. I'm gonna go with an underrated one that a lot of people may not even realize. This is from the Fairly Brothers, and I don't think this movie ever got the attention it deserved because I thought it was freaking hilarious. It's The Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller, and I think I've ever seen that one. And Ben Stiller, in my opinion is he's one of my favorite actors, but he's you know, he's rarely in funny stuff anymore, you know what I mean, Like he's behind the scenes guy now, and he's really popular when it comes to that kind of stuff, like he's Severance is his show. I don't know people realize that or not. He's not in it, but like he's the writer I think, or maybe the director. Yeah, the less This movie was hilarious. It was in theaters and if you can find it Austin on one of these streaming services, you would love it. I mean it has Michelle Monahan, who has always been kind of hot, and she's in a lot of stuff. Jerry Stiller's in it, which is Ben Stiller's dad, who is hilarious. Rob Rob Cordery is in it, who again another name that like if I said his name, a lot of people probably don't know who I'm talking about, but if you saw his face you would know. I mean, he's hot, tub time machine, He's in a lot of stuff. He's really funny. And then also I mean just Danny McBride's in it before he's big. I mean people who are hilarious that you know. And it doesn't have a huge pass true, it's a really good movie from the Fairly Brothers. If you haven't seen it, find it. You don't have to make it like an appointment viewing kind of thing. But I think you really really like it.
Speaker 3: Do you have any snubs? Possibly think missed the cut?
Speaker 2: I mean I was gonna. I mean click to Me is a true snub. Outside of that, I mean I liked Fever Pitch that had Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon in it. I don't know why I liked it, but I did. Hitch is good, Oh dude, Yeah, that was on the big board. Knocked Up is good. And then when it comes to the other nineties ones that stand out. I mean I mentioned Wedding Singer, which is certainly one of the best out there.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot in the nineties. You've got mail. When Harry met.
Speaker 2: Jerry m Jerry maguire was good, yes, yes, yeah, totally. Did you say something about Mary Yes, yes, No, Harry met Sally too, yeah, and something about Mary along came Paully All great one. What about Drive Me Crazy with Melissa Joan Hart that I've seen that one, but Melissa Jonah, I forgot it existed, but I remember it's pretty good. All right, we got to get to a break. We'll come back on the other side and we will talk to the one and only doctor Eric McRoy, apropri of Physical Therapy Kent Spencer going to join us at five oh five. We were loaded the rest of the way right here on A Valentine's d edition of Coffee and Company. Fieldbout Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: That's right, A Valentine's the edition of Coffee and Company rolls along here. Thanks for hanging out with us, don't forget to take us with you anywhere you go. You can listen live on the AHET Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. Let's bring him in. He's doctor Eric McElroy from Pro Rehab Physical Therapy. Happy Valentine's Day, Eric, how we doing, brother good?
Speaker 7: Happy Valentine's Day to you? Doing pretty good. I can't complain too much, just you know.
Speaker 2: Working, enjoying life right, getting.
Speaker 8: Ready for getting ready for you know, we don't really do a whole lot for Valentine's Day, So same here another day.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 2: That's really been the approach. My wife and I have had about it for quite some time, which makes me happy because you know, for a while I was thinking, well, she just telling me she doesn't want to do anything, or is this some kind of a test. But I have learned over the years that she, she and I are on the same level as kind of you know, we'll say Happy Valentine's Day, but really it's just any other day for us, because we we were Valentine's every year. I'm sure you and your wife feel the exact same way. But the Super Bowl on Sunday ended up with a result that I was, I was happy with. I was I was pulling for the Eagles. They got it done and really didn't have much trouble with the Chiefs. Travis Kelce, he's now in his mid thirties. He hasn't said what he's going to do one way or the other. Mentioned he wasn't going to make any kind of decision anytime soon, but he did reference the wear and tear that it's taken on his body to play this game for so long. And obviously they've made deep runs in the postseason for many years now, so that's more more of a beating than other guys who aren't playing deep into the postseason. When you hear of a guy that is that size, that age at his position, I mean, do you think that that maybe he's been I mean, everybody's playing hurt in this game of football. It's really really violent. But I don't know. I think this has just led to a lot of people thinking that man, he's given us the sound that he might retire. But I think more than anything, he's probably just being honest.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: It is it is a lot of There is a lot of wear and tear that goes on your body when you play in the National Football League.
Speaker 7: Oh absolutely, and especially playing tight end.
Speaker 8: I think we kind of lose you know, we think about tight ends I can sell who are catching a lot of balls and very very dynamic out in the open field, but also spends a lot of time blocking, you know. I think that dition itself is very unique in that way where they'll be on the line a lot and the you know, challenging defensive ends and and and guys a lot of times bigger than they are, but also taking the hits they do, you know, whether it's blindside or you know, you know, out in the open when they're receiving the balls. So I think that definitely a lot of wear and tear. I think that what we find is as athletes age they have these conversations with their friends, family, themselves, their their support team, uh, every season, right, because they get to the end of.
Speaker 7: The season, and you know, the further the.
Speaker 8: More years they're playing, the more that they know that they're getting closer to the end.
Speaker 7: And so you know, they're trying to look at where they are physically, how how are they able to perform? You know, do they.
Speaker 8: Still have that passion and drive that they that they you know, they did to continue and go through a whole nother off season, all the training, uh, you know, as well as the you know, wear and tear of the season, and so yeah, I think it'd be you know interesting, It's not surprising to me at all. And you know, also I think that you know, in this for somebody like himself, just being in the media as much as.
Speaker 7: He has, you know, I don't care what he says. I'm sure it takes its toll as well.
Speaker 8: Uh, And so you know, it's uh, it'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.
Speaker 2: So Travis Kelsey is an interesting an interesting example here of somebody that is getting older to where it would make sense to kind of you know, wouldn't be a shocker if he decided that he's kind of you know, he's had a heck of a career already, but also it's it's for someone like myself. It's funny to think about guys who play many years in the National Football League or the NBA to where you know they need the money. I mean, they probably made a lot more money than I ever will, but they probably live a lifestyle to where if they no longer started getting NBA NFL paychecks, like it would be different. Well, he signed a one hundred million dollar podcast deal with his brother, and I think there's got to be some level of him being well aware that if he doesn't play football, he still has the ability to make a lot of money because of his podcast and because honestly, just his fame, he's connected to Taylor Swift, maybe the most famous person on the planet right now. I guess what I'm getting at is if other athletes put themselves in a position to where they can, in fact still make a whole lot of money. Brady makes more money calling games than he did playing. I just wonder if, because it does take such an impact on your body, that maybe guys that you wouldn't think would retire if they simply can because they they feel fulfilled as far as what they did with the game, and they put themselves in a financial situation to where they can still keep living the same lifestyle, and they've they've had enough success. Like I just I don't think that it would be a big shocker to see some guys walk away earlier than we used to anticipate, just because they realize, Look, I could play. I love it, but man, you know what, I want to be able to play with my kids, my grandkids when I get older. I mean, Andrew Luck, I don't really remember what his situation was specifically when he stepped down, but he was somebody that was really I don't mean, I don't remember anybody else in his position kind of doing it the way that he did. But I don't know. I just think Travis Kelce stepping down would surprise a lot of people, but I don't really know if it should.
Speaker 8: Well, you know exactly, and I think, what what you the point you made about? You know, he doesn't have anything else to prove, exactly, and he's going to be a Hall of Famer. He's won multiple Super Bowls. You know, I think I understand for the guys that are trying to to get that Super Bowl, uh, you know, or or to leave a different kind of legacy. I think that you know, or you know, we're also talking about the top one percent of the top one percent with Brady and those guys who are who are making you know, money that these you know a lot of these other guys aren't making frankly, and if they're living, you know, beyond their means and they're in their thirties.
Speaker 7: And they got a long way to go, uh you know, and a lot of these guys, it's their identity.
Speaker 8: I think Travis Kelce has kind of shifted that just because, like you said, the podcast and all the stuff, he has a new identity which makes it easier a lot of the guys I've worked with a lot of retired pro athletes, including NFL, and you know, that's the artist thing for them to leave, and you're leaving it at such a young age when you really think about it, so they get lost. They absolutely get lost. And a lot of them didn't make the money that maybe he's made. I mean, they made a lot of good money, enough money they could probably retire for a long time on. But they've also lived, like you said, with you know, spending those that money which they would be saving.
Speaker 7: And so I think that that identity is where they struggle.
Speaker 8: They try to find that same sense of quote unquote locker room and drive and passion as they had for the sport.
Speaker 7: And you got a lot of life to live.
Speaker 8: So, you know, like you said, I think it's helping him knowing he has other avenues to still kind of stay within the sport and venture out and do some things with the rest of his life that he he's also interested in besides playing football, and so it will.
Speaker 7: Definitely make that decision a lot easier than it could be for some.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, not even just Travis kelcey, but if you're if you're an athlete that has nothing left to prove you you feel you feel that your career was rewarding and you still love it. It's really all you've ever done, and not doing it just sounds kind of weird. I think the mental factor of knowing I really have nothing else to prove to anybody or even to myself, it can kind of have you doing a balancing act, because I think that would make it to where you're maybe not giving it as much as you used to. Maybe you're not loving it like you used to. It's like one of those things that I think there are certain athletes that they literally don't know what they would do if they didn't eat, sleep, and breathe the sport that has made them very successful and made the millionaires. But whenever you don't, whenever you don't have anything to prove, I think it can kind of make it to where like, Okay, I guess, I guess that's time. And certainly Travis Kelsey is one of those guys that has nothing left to prove. One of the best tight ends of all time, and he's certainly had a hell of a career.
Speaker 8: The other thing to kind of just quickly on that is that, you know, he's also been with this team for so long, and you know the reality of it is, you know, it's a cutthroat business, and he's getting older and they're going to start looking for younger players the next the.
Speaker 2: Next Yeah, yeah, you can go out on his own terms.
Speaker 7: And it's like, right, I want to go on my own terms.
Speaker 8: I don't want to bounce to three different teams in the last three years of my career.
Speaker 7: And so you know, look, at Aaron Rodgers. You know, at some points just like get let it go.
Speaker 8: You know it's time, And so I think that that's also probably playing into his decision.
Speaker 2: So Chucky Hepburn missed the Miami game on Saturday. He left last week against Boston College in the second half with what appeared to be a non contact growing injury of some sorts. He did play on Wednesday, and man, he looked phenomenal. It didn't look like he was bothered at all by his groin. I was having a panic attack for a week, thinking, oh please, Chuck's been one of my favorite players to watch. What a great story this team is, and he's been a big part of it, a fan favorite. But he seems to be okay, do you think it? Again? It's just speculation, but it does seem as if they were just willing to go without him and let him kind of heal because just the timing and the way it's played out and what we've seen. I'm sure it's something they're still monitoring, but it didn't seem to really be that severe.
Speaker 7: Well, it definitely didn't seem to be that severe.
Speaker 8: Now we'll say that at doctor strains, you know it's they're usually a little easier to deal with than you know it's in basketball. In some sports, you know, like soccer, be a little bit more of a challenge.
Speaker 2: But is this a common hockey injury. I hate to cut you off, but I okay, hockey see.
Speaker 8: A lot more growing quote unquote growing strains and hockey and adductor strains is what it is. But they tended to they tend to heal very well a lot of times. I'm not gonna show that that's a general statement because some of them can be complicated, sure, but.
Speaker 7: Also it's not like.
Speaker 8: Your hamstring, so usually there's ways you can quote unquote work around and a little bit better. Uh as far as when they're performing and playing, you have other muscles that really support some of these muscles that we strained, so they don't they're not taking the brunt, uh, you know, of the of your speed and your power and your ability to accelerate and decelerate and all those kinds of things like some muscles do. So they're they're less high maintenance than you know, a calf strain or a hamstring string. And obviously that's very depending on the sport and how much the muscles are used. But so I think that that's that's one and the other thing is it could have just been mild, and you know, the risk reward wasn't there to play a team you should otherwise have beaten at home like they did at Miami. Wasn't pretty, but but they won the game, and that's all that matters at this point in the season is.
Speaker 7: Win the game.
Speaker 8: So I think that that's probably what played into it. And obviously they didn't know that, you know that they're they're post players sorted John oh Scott was going to go down and you know, have the issues he did. So I think that, yeah, I think that that's you know, let it heal, give yourself time. I mean, all these guys are getting more and more beat up. We've talked about this.
Speaker 7: Time of year.
Speaker 8: You've got you know, the tournaments on the horizon, and you're and they're in a good position in the acc So while put yourself at risk to have your your engine be out for longer than he really should be, just you know, for a game that you should otherwise win.
Speaker 2: All right, last question for you, Louisville has had a handful of injuries this year with guys that are missing the entire season, and then there were two guys that that joined the program that they already had injuries, therefore they weren't going to play at all. I love seeing those guys on the bench, traveling with the team and supporting these guys, you know, like like the fans do. When you're going through the rehab process and you know you're not going to be able to play, I mean, can't they I guess you got to balance it right. You're probably not jealous of your teammates, but man, you wish you were out there playing, especially when the success is there. But I feel like it's also probably healthy for them to, you know, still be a part of it. It's not like they're isolated in their way. I just feel like if you are going through really injuring, having an injury that keeps you from playing a game that you that you love and maybe you've never been without, it could be a mental thing to we're men. This is just tough. I don't know what to do. I'm losing my mind not being able to play, But being around your teammates throughout the entire ride, that's got to be beneficial for your process from top to bottom, right, you want to get you have rehab. You got to get healthy, You got to be patient, you got to put in the work to get to get healthy to where you can be out there. But I just feel like these guys being around, it's almost like even though they're not playing, they're still getting this experience to an extent.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, it's it's critical. It's critical for them. It's and then kudos for Kelsey and his staff are doing that.
Speaker 8: They you know, it's easy for the injured players who are out for the year to check out and find other things to do because you know they they are stressed and it's a grind and it's very difficult, and they didn't get to where they were because they didn't want to be playing and want to be out there and show.
Speaker 7: What they can do.
Speaker 8: And and so for them to stay motivated, they need to feel the success of the team. They need to feel the camaraderie their teammates. They need to be a part of what you work hard to do, which is the games. I mean, you know, you go through the grind of the practices and all the film study and everything like that so you can play. And you know, they need to feel that because they're also grinding and watching film and bettering themselves. A lot of them are in practice and they're doing certain things. They're just not playing, and so for them to be able to to stay engaged with the team is absolutely critical to success of their rehab process. You knowbviously they're working with a team, rehab professionals and stream coach and sports side.
Speaker 7: To all to help and nutrition to help them.
Speaker 8: But at the same time, there's nothing that's going to replace that camaraderie they have and feeling a part of the team, which they absolutely need in order to help them be successful. And that's part of their goal and that and that gives them the taste of those goals to be able to be out there and visualize them themselves out playing in that particular game and moment, so that way next season when they're ready to come back, they're you know, they're they're not losing a step. They know where they need to be and they know the expectations when they're ready to start playing.
Speaker 2: Eric is always appreciate your time. You are the man. Enjoy Valentine's Day with your wife and enjoy your weekend. We'll talk soon, my friend.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, you do the same, Nick, have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Take care. That's doctor Eric mclroy. Pro re have physical therapy, quick break. We'll come back on the other side and we'll bring in the one and only Can't Spencer from w HS eleven stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety