Speaker 1: This is India Today Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You are on India Today Podcasts and you are in the Sledging Room. Let me warn you this is not a place for the faint hearted and the weak need. If you're a sports poff and like challenging everything you see and hear, stay if you're a sooner, bodatya fan walk away right now.
Speaker 3: Welcome to another episode of Sledging Room.
Speaker 4: Uh, this is an Asia special that we are starting today and we have a special guest with us. We have our usual suspects. Along with him is Nichol nas. Welcome Nichol Nash.
Speaker 3: You've been doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope you can, you know, add that little to Sledging Room as well.
Speaker 5: I just hope that you guys are kind to me, nice to me, don't sledge me. Yeah, and yeah, great we have you know, we can have healthy banter and some insights, but a lot of fun. That's what I look forward to.
Speaker 4: Great, since there's an Asia Cup special, Yeah, a little bit of banter. You've been probably doing Asia Cup for the last twenty years more than yeah. So what are your earliest memories of an Asia Cup tournament?
Speaker 5: Oh, that's a good one. I mean the memory is that that one shared trophy I remember, you know that that is there? Then an yeah, you know getting hit for those unfortunate success by child. Yeah, not a great memory though, that's there. I think that other game, correct me if I'm wrong, because herbudget Singh hitting Shoibakta, yes for those sixes again. I mean it just goes around India Pakistan game, so I guess. Yeah, those a lot of games getting washed out in Sri Lanka every time it happened there. That's another memory that I have in recent memories. I have India not making the final of the last Asia Cup one of the major things that happened, and it was a landmark. We're not getting to his seventieth hundred. Remember how long that wait was and it kept going on and on and he broke that duck in a in an Asia Cup game. Different formats of course, but Sri Lanka getting dismissed for fifty three Yeah, yeah, that omat siaj on fire again and another Asha Cup memory. Yeah. So these are some memories that I have from the Asia Cup.
Speaker 4: When you spoke about this, I think you were very you know, you were able to remember the incidents from the start of the start of the cup very well, like a hardbudget saying like a but even I can't remember the last few Asia Cups. But you know, if you ask me the World Cups, I can tell you a couple of matches, but the Asia Cups are very difficult to remember.
Speaker 3: Is what I think.
Speaker 4: That brings me to a question to both of you, has the relevance of the tournament gone down?
Speaker 5: See? I mean overall, I don't think Asia Cup means much. And I'll tell you why because even the people who organize the Asia Cup, they haven't paid paid too much heed to it because I remember it used to keep getting postponed multiple times India over the OOST previously as well as far as I remember, and then mon year it didn't even happen. Nobody really cared. Then the format also keeps changing sometime. So what you're telling everyone that it is a sort of a dress rehearsal to a big Icic tournament that may be following, whether it's a fifty over champions trophy or if it's a T twenty World Cup, whatever the year is and whatever the icy trophy. So Asia Cup can be addressed in her So I think you've made it like that. That's not to say that Asia Cups haven't been exciting, and that is primarily down to the India Pakistan riivalry. I think that is kept Tisha Cup alive. And you know, India Pakistan doesn't even need any relevance, It doesn't even need a trophy. The two teams just play. It could be in Khey cricket as well and they'll be massive interest. So I think that is what is kept Tisha Cup. And also if I take you back in history, the Asha Cup came about because you wanted to have this camaraderie between Asian countries. And you know, Jagmon Dhalmia was the one who really got this going simply because you wanted a united Asian front against the Western Bloc in that sense. So you said we need to fight. They might and eventually and on the table when you sat in the ICC and the votes came into pass. So Chagman Dharmia like this father figure took along you know Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and Pakistan as well. I mean, we're an environment where I don't think India Pakistan born Hoomi can be discussed that much. But if I take you back in history. It's actually a partnership between India Pakistan World Cup, correct, which which absolutely changed the whole landscape of international cricket. Where the two countries said, fine, we'll get together, and that World Cup happened and you know, first ever World Cup outside English, just as they say, is history. So I guess that was an extension of that done by Jae Moon Dalman. Now it isn't the case where now you're in a scenario where till very recently, because we didn't know whether this Asia Cup will go on, and there was this discussion that who's with India, So you know, okay, Sri Lanka will be with India, Nepal will be with India, but Bangladesha siding with Pakistan. So the only fishers in the Asian block as such. So then that's why I probably I'm just looking at various elements why it's not relevant. But having said that, once you know India Pakistan are playing and they do it by design, you might have three India Pakistan.
Speaker 4: It has never happened, by the way, it has never happened. No, No India Pakistan final has happened.
Speaker 5: In Yeah, yes, I was there last Ashaka where India Sri Lanka played the final fifty over the Ashaka before that, again at the same menu, India didn't even make the final. I think that was a shot cup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, but when mister Jasha was the President of the Asian Cricket Council, there was a there was a i think revamped effort in they announced a list of Asia Cup events from the under nineteen level women's say Shia Cup and all that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but I had an important observation that he made.
Speaker 4: You know, when you talk about is Cup being the dressed yourself for the World Cup, the last few tournaments suggest something.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean if you look at the Isha Cup T twenty version. Last time, the two teams that played in the final of the Isha Cup twenty one of them reached the final cup also in Australia Pakistan.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 6: Yes, Then the next time when the Ishak Cup happened, India played the fine year on the Ishak Cup and then they played the final of the World Cup also. And apart from that, I personally think that Isha Cup is just another occasion where you can you can have another India Parkistan game. Because now when we don't play those Bilatteral games. We are only limited to these Issia Cups and the Icy tournaments, so it is more occasions where you can play Pakistan and you can get that broadcast revenue and all. Because I was looking at at tweet and it said that I don't know why are we having the Shia Cup because apart from India and Pakistan, I don't think there's another another team that is going to give us that much a challenge because in the past, like twenty thirty years, Sri Lanka used to be a good team when the likes of Javadeney and Sanghara were there, but now even they don't challenge that much. So now it's India, Pakistan or nothing in the Ashia Cup.
Speaker 3: You know, both of you are That's where I was.
Speaker 4: Both of you are going to get some trolls from from Bangaladesh and Sri Lanka fin will oh yes, some claim to be bigger than India Pakistan.
Speaker 5: No, no, nothing, I mean, and now you even have Afghanistan. Pakistan is also a rivalry, but nothing matches. Now you've started. Even Australia and England accept that nothing matches. In England, I mean because ashes was you know, kept at this pedestrial where you said that's the most important rivalry. But now if you hear former players from both England and Australia and they say fine, historically and you know all the you know, context attached to when it started, Yes, ash Is, we can you know, talk about it and get romantic about it. But in terms of share numbers and the excitement and you know the basis of how an India Pakistan rivalry happens, I don't think any rivalry there matches that I in fact compare it to, you know, like Ranger Celtics in football or a real Madrid Barcelona and football. One of the greatest sporting rivalries that you can think of it, I don't think nothing comes closer. But the reason I say it was an unfair comparison because I think we've been very unfair to two teams. When anyone who says that it's only India Pakistan. For example, Shri Lanka, I think they've been more consistent with compared to and I'm not talking about the old Shri Lanka for Jessuria and arav in the Ranatuma. No, the recent Sri Lanka has been more consistent than India and Pakistan to have reached the final. They actually one day shut up and reached the final, reached the final last time around. So they are Shamsan And I must say that I did see Shrilankan cricket, you know, go through a bit of a dip a few years ago. But yeah, but now I think they've had a research with Sana Jezula coming back, they've had a research and and I think, you know, in a T twenty format and in fact, i'll say in white ball cricket, somehow Shi Lanka finds a way to be competitive. And so for Afghanistan, I mean they are the semi finalists of the last twenty World Cup where Shu Lanka didn't make it, where Pakistan did not make it that far, but Afghanistan have.
Speaker 4: So as we speak, they've beaten Pakistan and then tri series New Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Yeah they can but that's one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they probably they can go on and win that tournament and get into the Asia Cup with more momentum as well.
Speaker 5: Right, so you never know, yeah, exactly, so I would say.
Speaker 4: And if you see the groups, if you look at the groups, India Pakistan in one group and the other group has Bangladesh, Sri Lankan, Afghanistan, so you might call it that group that you might call that group as a group of death yus. Here you see Oman and Hong Kong, so you never know asn't like.
Speaker 5: Well, that's where the questions Oversha Cup you know start that you you've designed it that way. You made sure that you're saying three times it may not happen.
Speaker 3: They should probably have a draw ceremony for this, just.
Speaker 5: That how is that how you get not only the put India Pakistan in the same group, they also ensure that the other teams are you know, such that they will both they won't lose to they won't be Pakistan that they come though you never met in twenty World Cup, US says like pulled off a surprise, so you never know.
Speaker 4: But it would be fun if you have a draw ceremony and say how how you put India Pakistan together?
Speaker 5: But it'll be fun for whom fans who want to see in their Pakistan, the organizers want to see in their Pakistan. I mean, truth be told, even you and I would want to see in your and and this is not this is me talking as a pure professional where you know, if I'm writing about a match or if I'm discussing the match, you know that there will be ten times the eyeballs to the article that you write or to the video piece that I do when it's an India Pakistan. So eventually, as you know, Horrablso mentioned that if you're going to have a tournament, you need that context. So if you have an open raw, then you steal us of the opportunity of seeing India Pakistan. But having said that, I must tell you we were doing a chat yesterday and I'm saying that India Pakistan is the number one game and nothing ever comes close to it. We had a few viewers you join us from UA and a lot of them because it's a you know, live conversation that we have with a lot of on sports today with a lot of viewers, so many of them from Yue did write into us during our live chat that tickets are still easily available and that's unheard of, and I've covered cricket in the UA. India Parkistan games are sold out weeks in advance. So in fact, I also happen to get a press release from the ticketing agency saying that oh you know, here's the package that's available. Want in Dubai. Forget packages because sometimes packages don't get sold. They're expensive because they bundle a lot of matches together in the hospitality, they're expensive individual so they go but individual match tickets regular tickets, which is why partist explain no, not extended. So not the only thing that I can think of that there are a lot of people for the very first time who may not be keen to be watching India Pakistan and there could be multiple reasons for that. I did think about it. Who could that come from. I don't think it would come from the Pakistani audience. They will always be Pakistan fans. But you must remember even in Dubai in my last few visits to Dubai Champions troph before that, that it's still always about seventy to thirteen in favor of Indian fans. Indian fans always outnumber Pakistan fans, and it even happens in the Middle East, right fans A lot of them who stay there, but a lot of them who travel as well, both from India and Pakistan as well as from the UK and US. People do travel, but overall, if I was to look at the number, it's always about seventy to thirty even now, And this is a sea change from the time I remember watching cricket in charge and the nineties, where you'd have fifty to fifty on most occasions, there'd be more Pakistani fans. So now, why is still the ticket's not being sold? Because now, which are the parties that may not be buying ticket? Are the Indian fans or Pakistani fans? Now Pakistan fans whatever I've gauged from their interaction or the content that I've consumed, is that they're more than happy to watch. So the thirty percent of the Pakistan fans that usually turn or would have bought the tickets, then that leaves us with a seventy percent. And I'm guessing that seventy percent could be split between fifty to fifty. Where fifty percent of Indian fans would still be okay watching a game, maybe there are fifty percent there who don't want to be watching the game, one for what happened very recently in the aftermath or operations and others could be may be keen to be watching, but don't want to be seen to be watching that game.
Speaker 4: So this could be the few reason in the confines, comfort of your house and then support.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the proof of the pudding would be television viewers.
Speaker 4: I was noticing oneting Nicole and sob like from say the twenty twelve, two and eight we have had cross border tensions. We have not as like intensified. We have not had bilateral series. But as we call for boycods, as we call for you know, pulling out from certain tournaments, the numbers have only gone up.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: That's probably on the outside India Partistan people probably don't want to watch the match or they don't want the team to play the match. But when you look at the numbers, viewership numbers, like you said, it's been only on the apps, it has been.
Speaker 3: Seeing an uptick.
Speaker 4: So I just wanted to ask you a question, a personal question, as like you can choose not to answer this. If you both were, okay, not talking as journalists, if you both were, you know, fans of the sport in this climate, would you buy a ticket and go watch an India Pakistan match.
Speaker 5: Good question, I'll answer for I'll hear what he has to see.
Speaker 6: When this India Pakistan game was announced, I remember talking to a Shay and I told him, Yeah, I told him I covered the story. And then I told him why are they playing? Because whatever happens. I am a sports fan and I love my team, but I'm also an Indian citizen and I've seen what has happened, how our own countrymen have suffered because of the Crosswater terrorism and all those event that has happened in the aftermath of operation before that. So I will personally not be willing to put my money and go and buy a ticket and go and watch an India Pakistan game.
Speaker 1: I actually don't want this game to be happened to be happened.
Speaker 6: To be very frank with you, it's my personal view, but I don't want to watch this game or I don't want this game to be happening. But as a professional journalist, I will do my duty. I will cover the game when and as my team asked me to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has no option as a professional, but yeah, but yeah, I'll come to that later. What are you going to do me? Asn't like I don't know, as I would probably see it might sound controversial, but I don't want as and I don't want them to make to be mixed. But maybe after what has happened in the recent times like blatant is it boiled down into something that is very ghastly. We have seen loss of lives from the very own I don't think you should probably look at the financial benefits right now. Probably play another twenty series or ODI series against Australia when we're going to be back. They will get you the money, of course, not as an India Partistan. But if it had been before operations in there, I would have said probably okay, as and like we have we have, we were playing in multinational tournaments and all that. But once this escalation as and it didn't right, it doesn't sound right for me as well.
Speaker 5: So would I buy a ticket? The answer is one word. Answer to that is no, simply because I would not buy a ticket for any game I know for because no, honestly, because I don't enjoy in live experience of watching any cricket match. They I rather watch a cricket match in the comfort of my house where I have a condition, I can order the food that I want and I don't have to be parking my car two kilometers away and then walking for many which happens in Dubai as well. Might I add, and in the heat of Dubai you have to walk. We have to as journalists as well, sparked, like a kilometer in advance in the heat to walk to reach there. So given a choice, I'm a fan there. No. But joke's apart. See, I mean it's a certain in depth thing.
Speaker 3: You wrote a piece for us as well.
Speaker 5: Correct, It has so many less that if I start now explaining it will probably take an hour.
Speaker 4: For me to tell you what on the one On the one hand, we are saying like that one point that you made in the piece that I really caught my attention was you said India wants to as in India are looking to host some major events like you know, the Commonwealth Games and the Olympic Games eventually. So the government has said that we'll make the visa process and all that, even if they were even ready to host Pakistan in the Hockey Sha Cup which is happening in raj Gir, even in the Junior Asia Cup which is gonna happen. So you you wrote that, you know, why what the cost of what are we planning to host all this?
Speaker 3: Right? Can you explain that?
Speaker 5: But so I'll tell you what. Okay, I'll break it down as briefly as I can. If you were to asked me overall that should India Pakistan be playing cricket or not? My point is that, see, cricket can't be looked at in isolation. What would happen. Let's let's remove operations and there let's remove you know what happened in and that has continued to happen. There is cross bordered terrorism and you need to tackle with that. But what used to happen? And as I said, for more than two decades, there have been many points in my career with this ession has come and then we've tried to answer it. And over the years I've learned a couple of things. One that cricket is taken as hostage. So all the focus goes on cricket. And you know, first time you have to attack something, you say, why I'm in your Parkistan playing on cricket, and you kept doing that while every other sport is happening. There's ten is this and that. So I thought that was double standard. Why do you want to hold cricket as a hostage? So first you need to have a fixed policy for Pakistan. Now you and I can't decide that policy. You and I are experts and sports, right we follow that. Now. For example, I went to Pakistan to cover during the champions Trophy and I can't tell you how much hate I got. Why did I get that? Hat? Because how could you go to Pakistan? Why did you go to a country from there? From from no, no, not from there? Yeah, I mean there you were welcome. People might find that hard to believe, but that was a reality. And I'm not gonna lie. I'll tell you exactly what I experienced, right, But sure I got a lot of hate. Okay, fine, so I am So what am I to understand that people in India? And this is by the way, before operations and do it before Pelgram has happened, right, So I got a feeling that a lot of people here in India did not like me traveling there, even though I went there to do my job. I didn't go for a holiday or I did not even go as a representative of this government to shake hands with Pakistan and get friendship going. I don't have that mandate or the authority to do that. We just went as traveling journalists anyway, That's what we are told. So then I understand anything to do with Pakistan is a no go, right, this is what people want. Then cut to all of this happens, Operations in Loo happens, and Pelgram happens, and then everything to do with Pakistan is banned in the country where their social media handles are banned. You stop the water. Then you say that Diljit Dosan just told for being an antia. So now now what am I to understand? What are you to understand? You're not geopolitical experts. You have to understand that nothing to do with Pakistan happened. But then you you go ahead and say, now for this sake of now coming back to Olympics, so we need to be looked at and because this was mentioned in the in the stand that the government took quote unquote that we need to be looked at as a viable venue.
Speaker 3: This is what was doing.
Speaker 5: My point is exactly that that how is it then? If everything is put in national interest and that is number one, then why do you need to look as a viable venue? Can you not function as a country if you don't host the Commonwealth Games or the Olympic Games anyway, By the way, that's another debate. The loss making exercises. Commonwealth game, nobody wants it. This Commonweal game you had to cut short because even people who had won the bid didn't want to host it.
Speaker 3: I think it's pulled out. And then when the Glasgow.
Speaker 5: Correct, so nobody also was that. That's first. Secondly, you know what happened last time you also a Commonwealth game? It was the games was organized very well, but you know the aftermath, why would you want to do it? Then you get to Olympics and my take for the Olympics is I tow the Olympics. I love Olympics, spot and everything. My point is, if you can and it's also a loss making exercise, as most a lot of people correct. So now why don't you use that money to become a better Olympic nation? Right we are? We are a country at one point four billion and happy with five six medals each Olympics. You can't be you have countries that are you know, smaller than the size of some of our states landing up with twenty thirty medals. I think our first team should be I'm not saying the best country and it's not going to happen in the Olympic Game, but at least be competitive, and it should in some way be you know, in relation to our size and power global in Olympics as well. So if you're winning twenty twenty five medals, I think you need to focus on that. So why do you have to be a viable when you win? The importance of the country is there. That's something that I didn't understand. So for me it felt like a double standard. First you say nothing can be you and I can't even consume YouTube content from Pakistan, but now you're going to be playing cricket. And then Asia Cup was the tournament, which is not even an ICC tournament, right, So if you had skipped it, how does that matter. It's not going to invite any sanctions, it's not going to isolate you. Just because you want to be seen by the rest of the world as a country that will be able to host a big event in the future, you're doing that. It doesn't work. But now if you've taken the stance, then I would And just to extend that, I was looking at some business numbers and export import between India Pakistan. It was somewhere between roughly around fifty five million that India was exporting fifty five million dollars that India was exporting to Pakistan, and last year has seen that because there has been sanctions on exporters, well, that has seen it to be cut down to just five million, so a ninety percent cut. Now that ninety percent cut has been born by Indian citizens, people who you and I whoever, and it's percolated down to everyone, whether you're a business owner, worker, creating that product whatever. Right, So now I'm saying now that guy, whoever that might be, he's running a business. His business may have shut down, so he's sacrificed. He's not made any noise. He sacrified that business because your policy is said that and you said no country first, I have to follow that. So a lot of people have sacrificed. But then you're going to be playing cricket, I don't know from now on. Then there should be a free for all. You and I should be free to decide what we need to do. And then in that case, if you watch an India Pakistan game, I should not be allowed to point fingers you and call you anti national. Of course, right, we cannot. If everyone's going to be looking at situation and deciding, then I could say that no, for me, country comes first. I won't watch anything to do with Pakistan, I will not buy anything to do with Pakistan, I will not make friends with anyone from Pakistan or whatever. I won't consume Pakistani content, blah blah blah. But cricket is my love and India Pakistani is the number one game, so I'll watch it. So if I was to do that and make an exception, then I should not be questioned as well. So then allow everyone to decide what they want to do. But just to the larger point, I know it would have taken a lot of time. But to the larger point, when I was saying that completely, should you have India Pakistan games or not, to which my thing is and this was my belief before operations in there, and that you have not had India Pakistan bilateral cricket for more than a twocade. Has anything happened in terms of Pakistan financing terror activities in India. Has that put a stop on them? No? And my larger point is that it continued to happen, whether you play cricket with them or not, because the people that are responsible for it, whether they are the fundamentalists, whether it's their army, whether it is their weak government. They don't care whether you play cricket with Pakistan or not. They don't care. I am again stating I went to Pakistan. I don't think a regular Pakistani fosters any hate for any Indian. I experienced that personally. A regular Pakistani doesn't even understand geopolitics or what happens or whatever. He's not even in any way in the world. Yes, are they fanatics there. I'm sure they are, right as they would be in any Are they you know, people who buy into what their army says, and I would call them a rogue army or you know the fundamentals that they have. Do they buy into it? Yes they are, but by and large the people won't be like that. But yes, they have to pay for the sins of people that are running the country. And I guess the country is already paid for it. If you look at the two countries now, the difference is Shock and Chaine, and I think they are paying for it. So my saying, yeah, so whether you play cricket or not, you're not dealing the core issue at hand, the core issue at hand, and I think it needs to be dealt with that can only be dealt with either militarily or diplomatically, where you then so not everything can be solved by war, but it can be solved diplomatically, whether it is through talks. And if you then talks cannot happen, then you learn how to isolate parks that you know there are countries, and I think Indias are powerful enough country to do that. So you have to find different ways to do it. You play cricket, you don't play cricket. You and I will keep talking about it, but it will not help us find the solution that we're looking for. And that solution is to whether you make friends with them or not, is not that. But you need peace and quiet on the borders. Is what is the solution that we're looking at. Because we can change everything, but you can't change your neighbor, right. You can do anything that you want, you can't change it. So you have to find a solution for it. And I don't think playing cricket, not playing cricket will ever result in a solution. That was my larger thing. But then you know, you'd be nervous to say something like that because people would throw you saying.
Speaker 4: That, how dare you say you're taught to believe otherwise? As well as like once you head there, you know you know what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But again I'm not saying that you need to be friends with them if you think that it's a country that has not learned its lesson and you think as a country you cannot and you tried to extend that hand of friendship and they came back to buy too, and you do not want to go down there, which is fine, absolutely fine, But then you need to find a solution how to sort this out. Then you get the rest of the world. No, I mean you go back to the South Africa example. There was a time where India was leading the charge of isolating South Africa because of a part head. But the rest of the countries then buy into it. Australia was still playing cricket with them, England was playing cricket with investing these and playing trick to them. But then you you gathered momentum slowly and steadily more countries joined you in that movement, and then it reached the state where everyone boycotted South Africa to a point where you got what you wanted and they let go of that policy. So I mean you could do that with Pakistan.
Speaker 3: Park is on attempting financial option as well.
Speaker 4: Ass and like if you isolate them from World cricket, will it hurt the IC coffers No.
Speaker 5: But my point is who are we to look out for? Icicers, ic C needs to bother about ICIC I think what India needs to look out for is bss here. Now let's say financially. And I don't buy the financial boogie that oh India is playing for financial whatever.
Speaker 3: In the Asia Cup? Yeah, yeah, how.
Speaker 5: Does India even gain if India pulls out a Asia Cup? India could have organized a trial series that would have made probably the same amount of money for them as that which you could have done independently as well. So I don't think that India is doing it, you know because a lot of people say money is the priority. So money can't be the priority. Firstly, government, Now why did the government allow it? How is the government aining financially? Even if you're gaining financially, that money goes to the business air comment doesn't get any of it. It's a private firm b c CI is and they keep that money with themselves. That's one Secondly, I don't think even bss AS is going to gain that much financially. They could have gained the similar things by hosting another try series, So that's also not the thing. I think the reason they've done it is because they don't see it would cause you embarrassment that supposing you went with the stance of not playing them. Now, then what happens during the ic C tournament, Then they'll say, oh, you're playing in ic you might as well have played in an ACC tournament. So government also had to come up with one policy that you follow. But then if this is the policy that the government follows, then you allow, Like I'm just going back to the business owners, you allow them as well to function in a limited capacity. What about the film guys who made films and who are going to lose half their revenue, you allow them to do it as well.
Speaker 3: Like one one thing will be interesting to see the viewership numbers this time.
Speaker 5: What do you think it's going to take hit or it's gonna go.
Speaker 4: On with with it might not better. The T twenty World Cup is a bold call, and it's not a it's not a guess. It's a bold call because I might I don't know. It might also it might also exceed the T twenty World Cup numbers. Why do you think, like you said the context, that people might not want to be seen as watching the game, But then when you when you watch it on TV or when you log into your streaming platform, it gets registered.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like how when I go across covering cricket. You know, nowadays it's fashionable to criticize and target the media, right, and I'm not of much sports, but politically as well. Right, you get targeted, and so everyone will say, no, no, TV is this we don't watchudge, you know, but everyone watches they know on program It's like in a drawing room conversation. Now it's very cool to lampoon television media saying a television we don't watch TV news, But how do you know they're watching. They're all watching those same mindless debates that have and that fighting everyone because the views. So I mean, I I kind of agree with you that that no matter what people say, there will be a lot of them watching. Who knows because of this this you know, almost warlike situation that you had, maybe emotions are running high. So when that match happens, more and more people want to watch because I want India to be in Pakistan and basa. So maybe it takes the numbers high, But I know, what.
Speaker 3: Do you think?
Speaker 6: So the basic thing is that the government has allowed the match to happen, right, So when the government has allowed the match happened to happen and people are covering in India.
Speaker 1: Who stops me or.
Speaker 6: For you towards the match from your own drunk room? And why will you not watch the match? Like sitting in your room, you will definitely watch the tv O India and Pakistan playing. Let's just have a look at the score. What is happening, Oh, there's no barbarism, there's no vertkuli.
Speaker 1: What are the young guns doing? Let's just look up and look at it.
Speaker 6: And as you said, when the context of war is on that Indian and Pakistan might go onto our let's see, they must beat Pakistan. We can't lose to Pakistan now at all. So I think the numbers will definitely not go down if they don't work, they will definitely not go down even.
Speaker 5: If I feel that people don't watch it, and I think this time genuinely they will be those people that will boycott the game. I have a feeling, whether it's on TV or on the ground, there will be that. But if India wins that game, that said, just take the first game in India. Win India other favors. Don't tell me people won't be celebrating and that you're not going to be hearing five characters go and don't tell me even if someone who tried his best not to watch that game will not go back and watch those highlights till one hundred percent go back and see, oh, how is it that India? Because that will you know, arouse your patriotism.
Speaker 4: That yeah, we've always associated patriotism with cricket. Doesn't like most of us, whether you call it a misconception, whether you say that it's a cricket team playing for a private entity and not representing your country, but not anymore you're going to the Olympics. But yeah, but like I have when I've grown up watching when he pulled off his shirt and or when such a hit that six against Shoybuger, I felt I felt patriotics and like that's that's how when I was growing up, I knew what it was to.
Speaker 6: You know, no, why cricket every yeah, I think every sport has this. I remember that twenty fourteen World Cup finals between Brazil and Germany. When Germany are battling Brazil, everybody was crying in the stands. The whole nasion was united and they were crying what has happened to our football? We were the world champion for so long.
Speaker 1: So it's assisted to every sport.
Speaker 6: There is one way for a common man to show that, yes, I'm an Indian, or I'm a Pakistani, or I'm a German or I'm a British.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: When when England played the World Cup, even when they are not a title containers, the World Cup will come home. That trends and people are big fans. So patriotism and sports go together.
Speaker 5: I think I no matter where I whether it's on TV or live in at the Olympics, or even at there's an Indian national anthem just played, I get goosebumps. Even when I go watch football and I'm Baker Stadium in India is playing whatever Syria or anyone, it's exactly the same feeling. And I guess it why that happens is it tugs at your basic human emotion where you want to be better.
Speaker 3: Than the other, and of something bigger as well, you know.
Speaker 5: As in we are better than them. And so those days you know when I don't know, we want that evolved one hundred years ago. You could go to war and settle that. Right right now, you're living in an age where you don't do it. Sport's the only way. And you said we are superior than you as a race or as a country and those things.
Speaker 4: And I still can't forget the feeling that we had in the in August last year, all of us were watching the Tokyo Olympics final kind of expecting me that to, you know, to walk away with the gold and the hardwak that we felt that day. I still haven't recovered from it. By the way, I'm like, you know, I was ceremon I were just seeing as in like first throw, I think I sure didn't yeah, as an he didn't complete the run run up again. And then the second when the even the commentators was they just grow louder.
Speaker 5: The That's how it was in the stadia. I was there and I'm a kid, you not when you threw and this, and when I was asked one of the moments of the Olympic it was that because what happened was that when you see javelin in TV, it's a different thing. It's you don't really get the bigger picture. But of course when you're seeing it live, you can see from it leaving, and it's not different camera cuts that you see right or a follow you don't understand. And even when the camera is following, you don't understand the depth of it. You only understand once it's landing. But when you're seeing it live you can see how far it's going right now, most even if you're a seventy meter thrower or in a ninety plus thrower, your initial bit is quite the same. The initial tragic tree of each javelin thrower is the same, so it takes about the same tragic tree, and then the ones who hit ninety or are in the late eighties, their javelin just continues on that tragic tree, whereas some then the ones that will fall short there begins to dip at the end. So the initial tragic tree is the same, and then some will dip and then some continue going usher scares. That's exactly what happens, so it throws it it's similar, and then when you know that the dip has to start. It doesn't dip, it goes and the whole stage, you know, you could hear the stadium were like, uh, it's not stopping, is it going? And then goes and match knew it done something incredible. And just before that, I remember social media and I must give I've also discredited Pakistan for a lot of things in this podcast. Must give them one thing credit for that. You won't find better self deprecating humor than Pakistani themselves. The amount of fun that they make of their own athletes. So they they will like, we're still far more touchy of our athletes. You know, we're very protective. They're not coming, Yeah, they'll just go after it. So I remember the best means of that javelin competition before the competition were coming from Pakistan only, and they were making fun. So there was this one thing about I think Wember or someone you know, practicing with.
Speaker 1: This new technique and he's doing this.
Speaker 5: The one guy writing from Pakistan is look at our guy. He's going there with best wishes and ad above ghee and milk. You know that that's this is what we can give you.
Speaker 4: Now go, you know do what But now I can say one thing, and he did it. Now I can say one thing. The rivalry is bigger and leveling than in cricket. It is it is I think the Asian rivalry itself isn't there is a new ricent that's another day.
Speaker 5: But the only difference is that both those guys and I interacted with them after the medal before that are both these guys needed are shore in that sense. It's a gentle giants. So they while the rivalry is fun to watch, they don't add any masala to it, which is so respectful of each other. But in cricket, the thing is that cricketers, I.
Speaker 3: Think the market. The market drives the way you behave also.
Speaker 5: Generally how they behave, and then the social media posts and you know how a lot of has been written about it. And I know some of those social media post by a few Pakistani cricketers were downright shameful. But some Indian cricketers are also quite jinguistic and gaga in praising their country, and I guess that happened. Some of them did cross the line as well, especially in Pakistani cricketers. I completely agree, but these two guys are like, no, no, he's very good.
Speaker 4: No, no, he is, and they're inspiring a lot of other issuans also, Lincolns are coming up. Yeah, yeah, you know what started as an podcast All three were from cricket playing top three, just saying all the ones who must be bowling at some point, neither gha than Anderson and Peters.
Speaker 3: Maybe shoving can try it now?
Speaker 5: Shoving still going through a No, it's it's considered a bit of a slur to stell a fast baller, to go to javelin saying that you think I.
Speaker 1: Was throwing.
Speaker 5: Because a few times unfairly so my dad, I was hugely fat.
Speaker 4: The moment, you know, myinds me of my gully cricket days, the moment even in some cally cricket matches they allow you to throw, but the moment you go to some match where only bowling is allowed, only round arm bowling is allowed. You try your best, but since you don't have that you know, practice of not bending them and bowling, they'll call you out in two walls like you're.
Speaker 5: Not need maybe babe out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but what started, as you know, Asia Cup curtain Raiser has rightfully gone this way, I think, as in if we had sat here and spoken about only okay, who is who are we going to pick? What is Bangladeshi's chances and all that? But that will do next week. But I think with you here and with both of us chiming in, we spoke about things that we should have we should speak about, and you talk about this Asia particular, especially in the lead up to the controversies and the lead up to it. But before we go the just give me a quick your quick thoughts on the squad and your quick thoughts on the squad. India sport, especially like Krista machadis they can't apparently told okay, they can win Asia Cup, but they can't win T twenty World Cup. But do you think this squad will go to the T twenty World Cup? Is this going to be the fifteen sixteen?
Speaker 5: In the squad, I don't see too many changes happen. A couple might still happen, but I think they picked this sCOD keeping in mind the T twenty World Cup. The only way I see some big changes happening is if like the last Asia Cup in the T twenty format that happened in the UA where India didn't make the final then I think you'd be forced to make a few changes if you don't, which I don't think India will. I think for India not winning the Asia Cup will also be looked at as a disappointment. So final they should definitely make. They are the best team, even though in T twenty the format is such that upsets can happen. But I think they'll keep that squad overall. I think, you know, if three of us also sat and made the squad, we pretty much would have picked the same team. I was just a bit surprised with a couple of names. I think I would have, you know, found a way to get him and the second name, which may surprise a lot of people. I was surprised you didn't go with the Washington sunder. And the reason I'm saying that is you might need an off spinner. I know off spinners are going out of fashion in T twenty cricket. I looked at some numbers and you know, with Ashwin going, it's pretty much the end of of spinner, at least in the Indian context. And I know that Washi was not even played as a spinner by Gujrat. This idea pretty much played as a batter. But why I said that is because with Pakistan they got a few left handers and Nabby has been bowling well for Afghanistan in this series, so with a few lefties it wouldn't have really hurt them. And also because India would be caught between you know, playing bothatikul Deep together. If they don't play then they might be a bowler shot, but then they need to fill a batter, so their combination just doesn't add up. Had you got a Washi, I think it would have just sorted a lot of things. So I'm a bit surprised that Washi and shares In make it. But then I'm also picking overall. If I look at this team, it's it's a gun team and dare I say that they have You know, they are the current T twenty champions, but imagine a team becoming champion after that. You see a bit of a dip from each team, right, Yeah, once you reach the peak, India has actually pushed the boundaries even to another level.
Speaker 4: Now I think it'll be it will that will be the pressure to maintain that in the lead up to the T twenty World Cup.
Speaker 5: May not see so I'll only tell fans one thing that you've gotten used to the two hundred and fifty sixties seventies that India was piling up in Hyderabad. Then in South Africa, India was going past two fifteen quite comfortably in T twenty cricket phenomenal numbers. But I'm just saying in n Asia Cup, I would want Indian fans to reconfigure that because the conditions aren't going to be like that, So just change that. Don't expect those numbers. But I still feel this Indian team will be ahead of the Cup, so whatever they do is going to be the benchmark. Others will be following. And I mean, while they be a good competition from Lanka, from Pakistan, Afghanistan, I still think in the clear cut favorite, I don't see any area that they haven't got covered. And one thing I'm really looking forward to. Would I have picked the Schumann Gill in the team, Maybe not, But what I'm looking forward to is how Shumann Gill approaches this. I have a feeling that we look at Shubman Gill as a semi aggressive batter, right, Let's put it that way. He's got good IPL numbers, decent T twenty a numbers as well, but and even one fifty strike d which he operates that is phenomenal for most other teams. But I'm looking at that Indian batting lineup where he does seem a bit short on that. But I would love to see how he's going to play. I have a feeling that he will play in a very different role. I think he's going to be. He will have to buy into the philosophy of this team, which is led by Ssurakumaria, where everyone has been told that fifty sixty seventies I don't need from you. I need a twenty ball thirty or a fifteen ball forty or you know, to that level, and that does it. Each of us is going to do that, go out and entertain, and I think rather than Schumann continuing in the form that all the mold that he operates in, he will buy into this philosophy and you might say a different Shuman. And if you can do that, then I think it doesn't matter whether it Schumann opening or Yessr, who I also thought was unfortunate to have missed out, but it'll be the same thing.
Speaker 4: So sort of Schumann or Samson isn't like Schuman yes, but will Samson be there in eleven or.
Speaker 6: See when the squad was announced, I was very very against the inclusion of Schumann in this squad and then the name in the vice captain. But when I was doing a story as usest in me. So I was doing a story and I was looking at the stats of how the Indian teduntary openers have fared in the past three or four years since that two T twenty World Cup where we failed. So that states that Schumann Gill has been part of India's best opening partnership in titndies and the opening partnership of Sandu Samson and shik Shelma has the poorest average among the last ten bring partners.
Speaker 3: But one of them have carried on. Yeah, but there was This is a wrong metric.
Speaker 5: Ye who cares about.
Speaker 6: Having Yes, there is where coming but the strike When you talk about the strike rate, when Schumann Gill has been part of an opening partnership, the strike it has been something around one for T one thirty. But when these two have been there it has always been on one at one ninety tred. So yeah, and the way we have seen cricket now, you can't have a six over forty. Not with a zero ticket. You will better take it a seventy of one in six over. In the current setup, even if you're playing in the way, if you can get going, you can get going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when Nicol was talking about semi aggressive, I think there's no doubt that Schumann can't be as aggressive as Samson.
Speaker 3: But the first five balls, can you just take the fear of failure out and go for it?
Speaker 5: You know? You see you now look at the ipl that happened, and this is the approach by GT. But you see GT felt shot okay. But now look at the teams that made their final. Even if we're in that sense, changed his approach and they had a filled sort to do that damage. You know, so you needed that approach. Look at a PUNJABU made the final, the two openers operating the same way. So I think this is what what you've realized. So it's not that See we also see the strike rate at the end and one fifty does look good, But what happens You don't feel at the power play that much now you reach one fifty because you operate at one thirty for most of the time, and towards the end you make it one fifty. But if you look at in the larger you know picture for the team and you say, no, I want one fifty at the start, one fifty in the middle, and my the correct So my guys will also operate at two hundred, which you will too. But you've wasted that one sixty, one fifty or one eighty strike rad I needed at the start by being at one point.
Speaker 3: You can always make up for it as an overrated statement.
Speaker 5: In correct, correct, correct, So I think that way, and I have a feeling that once he's coming to the team, and that's fair enough. You see him as a future star. It's not that he can't play like that. He may have been told that you got to operate in a different gear. It doesn't matter. We are not looking at big runs for you. You have the strokes that you know you need to operate at one sixty, one seventy. You play that, you get out, not a problem. And I give you some insight if you remember I we had Sulukumar Y'ada for our conclavet very recently and I did ask him this that you know, how is it that you've gotten this team to buy into your philosophy it's one thing that we kept saying about fear of failure should be out bad like them. But you have to convince everyone to do that. Right, How did you get them? And he said, listen, I only told them one thing, he said, I have told them. Forget about everything else. You walk on to the field that thirty thousand people who've come to watch, go and entertain them. Their job is to entertain them. Forget about what will happen. And he said, if each guy goes with that mentality that whatever deliveries I spend, I will entertain them. It's not about I get a big total. The total gets managed by itself. The philosophy gets managed by itself, and so everyone plays and short enough this team. What it showed was that there were occasions if you've seen in the last year, were there, I mean thirty for three or four, and yet they've piled up more than two hundred because they just did not move from that one thought that we have to keep attacking. And I'm liking that, so I guess Schumann might. I was also sorry. I didn't really think that Shuman should have been part of that team, But now that you've got him, I think he'll change the way he'll play.
Speaker 1: He has change.
Speaker 4: I hope Ben Duckett hasn't seen this part you saying that told you that they wanted to entertain the crowd.
Speaker 3: He might claim credit for that.
Speaker 4: Baball is the bedrock of India's twenty revolution.
Speaker 5: But I must say I really enjoyed Duckets patting.
Speaker 3: I think he's a pattern.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But even the way bats in test latch cricket, Yeah, I mean you need openers like that is also one of those. And duck a little bit of the left left handed verse. Yeah, you're right, and he's not all just attack attack. He's got a good technique, good defense. Yeah. Also making of being a top notch.
Speaker 6: He took rough Yeah, so he has got all that attribis to be a scessful opener.
Speaker 1: And even in T twenty and oas he has been really good.
Speaker 6: Like people I was, I was listening to a lot of people when they were playing that county cricket, so they were talking about him, They're talking about Bendaget, and then when they saw their numbers in T twentys and os, they're equally good. So it's not just his hitting runs at good pace he's hitting runs for long form.
Speaker 1: And also so he's there and for the squat. I wanted to make one point.
Speaker 6: I was very very I felt very hard done by the absence of jas Well. I love jas Well as a batter in T twenty especially, but like, yes, he has been performing good for you in test cgate, but that does not mean that you drop him ten tis format.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know what you're talking about. You can deeple speaking to us. He said, there are forty cricketers an Indian setup right now in T twenty setup where you can pick one and argue for and against him, you can drop one and argue for and against him. Forty might be a two bigger number, but at least twenty others.
Speaker 5: No. In fact, I we did exercise and I said that look at this Indian team and the embarrassment which is that we have I may we made an alternate eleven and that alternate eleven was a gun eleven. So you get a Y and uh side to open, yes, them to open. Number three could be care right, who had a phenomenal I po. You can get a year at four, Ryan five at six.
Speaker 3: Again can walk into that side as well.
Speaker 5: Exactly. But because I got kre at three. The numbers are very good at this, I PO better than this. So like he's there and then you've got you. I could have gone to the site shore. We are outstanding. I PO the shnow is there? Uh? You know? So was she soon that? In fact he didn't make this team and you your highest wicket taker. So imagine that eleven was this eleven far more competitive?
Speaker 3: Then get another team.
Speaker 1: In have a series between you.
Speaker 5: See, they could have found away like we are boycotting. We're not sending a main team, sending beating. It would have killed two birds with one stone. That yeah, give me envy of the world the talent that.
Speaker 4: You have of course, and hope yeah, yeah, I hope we bring the results that is expected off before you.
Speaker 5: Who do you think is going to be playing twenty eighth final.
Speaker 6: India Afghanistan for hmm, it's old call, but it is a good call because Afghanistan finished fourth in the World Cup. India one that you don't need World Cup and those are spin friending conditions here.
Speaker 1: Also, I think you will get spins and the.
Speaker 5: Only thing is condition. Pictures might be but I think this and that's why if I pick my vantage. I'm going to India Pakistan and I'll tell you why. It's conditioned specific. So you're playing all matches at night, right, and they will be due that it's set in a that type. I don't know how and both in remember Champions Tropheet helped the spinners, but those are day games, right, I mean half of it you played in the day. So India even played four spinners in a lot of games. But now I think if you remember now last Asia Cup where India did not make the final, but Sri Lanka, Pakistan went there, and you remember Sri Lanka on the dint of their seam bowlers was good than the left Tama, so they did a lot of it. And ditto. I think Afghanistan right now in the tricity is being four four spinners in eleven which they'll do well. There are a lot of them are mystery spinners of due al, so they can control. But I think it will be the fast bowling and for Pakistan showing some better form. They've got that fish, they've got Hassan. Yeah he's getting toung for a few runs. But now see what they've done is they've now gone on the Indian model. They're trying to ape in there and that's getting my dimension player for sim for them, and bowls can also you know, get to runs and bowls. So they're getting into these multi dimensional players and they've dropped Barber and Reswan and to look.
Speaker 3: Have some Indian problems. Of the five openers in the top five.
Speaker 5: Correct, but then they've been told that you keep suckers not opening because they've got.
Speaker 6: That opening they also have. They have Mama Harris with the keepers. They also have I.
Speaker 1: Think he's been in.
Speaker 3: An opener.
Speaker 1: He plays an opener, and.
Speaker 5: He's the one who's winning them games.
Speaker 6: He's coming down and in finishing games for them, so he's the as fact right now for them.
Speaker 4: So that means I'm happy that as professionals we are doing our job getting to know Pakistan.
Speaker 5: The other thing is why one is the job. Secondly, I mean I've been going through what we call those anxiety tea episodes of having no live Indian cricket. I've not gotten used to such a big gap of no Indian cricket, so I'm craving a cricket. So where do I get. There's a tri series happening, so I end up watching that we don't need how work, we need not be managed.
Speaker 3: Actually it's really frustrating.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, asn't like now even the even the other sports it has started now, asn't there was a lull there also the yes, the World Championship badminton and all that.
Speaker 3: Now you have a series of events.
Speaker 4: Yeah, true, yeah, but when we get back next week we'll talk in depth about what is going to happen cricket wise in Asia Cup immediately till then. As in like the viewers and listeners, you can send in your thoughts. We had Nickel, you allowed to sledge in the common sec.
Speaker 3: They do, they do.
Speaker 4: Actually, they questioned us, you know when I think we spoke about Superman will and the selection thing. Yes, we asked us, what at what level have you played cricket?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, and our king shukosari asn't like. He is a very very ire dient, you know, follower of these comments and when it comes to replying, he doesn't wait for the next week's episode.
Speaker 3: He goes there and lies.
Speaker 5: What did he say?
Speaker 3: He says, I have been a fast bowler in created so.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter you are saying even if you did not play Color Cricket. The best film reviewers. I've never made a film right, but they I rely on them. I read about them and they do give great insights in how a film is made. I don't think Ratan Tata knew how to make trucks right, but Tata makes the most amount of trucks there in the world.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 4: I also feel that when it comes to watching US journalists talk about something, you don't have to actually take us seriously. It's just an opinion as we are giving you an opinion sometimes unless it's yes.
Speaker 3: But when when we are giving opinions, you either take it or not.
Speaker 4: As in most times we as in we try to shy away from giving youngg like I'm doing now.
Speaker 3: But no, no, that's fine.
Speaker 5: See again, as I tell you, you would never be able to make everyone happy, of course, and no matter what you say, yeah people again, we live in times where people will never change your opinion. I go back to drawing room conversation. You have a political debate and you are on this side of the fence and the other way. No matter how much you say, he's never going to change your mind. No matter how much he says, You're not going to change. It doesn't matter. I also listen to each other.
Speaker 4: There's a little bit of lack of empathy on social media. Sometimes I wonder, Okay, if five were in that person, I wouldn't sit behind a keyboard or a monitor and type of comment like that. When people meet you in person, they're not this one hundred person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I completely agree. I said, if you go through some of the mention in my social media, you will see a lot of hate. And even in the comment section of the videos that we do, you do see a lot of hate. But believe you me, every time I've gone it, and mostly I end up meeting people who know us in cricket matches right on the ground. So many times I have not met a single person and who's been nasty or has even been critical. It will come even if they have disagreed with something. They'll talk for people. I said, why I heard that, but you know I don't, and then we end up having a discussion in a of course. But majority of the eighteen ninety percent are very complimentary of the work that you do and how you've been doing and how they've been following you for so long. So I guess it's only on social media where you are faceless and you want to win your anger, infustation. You're right, whatever, you want to get noticed or whatever. Yeah, but you're not that version when you meet those people. In course, in course that's true, but.
Speaker 4: That doesn't stop you, you guys, from being nasty. If you had fought with your partners, you can just went it out on us as well.
Speaker 3: We'll take it. But on a serious note.
Speaker 5: Which actually may have fought because delivery is not coming on.
Speaker 4: But on a serious note, you know we have as a nickel and sort of all of us have made some points that we think is right or wrong.
Speaker 3: You can respond to them.
Speaker 4: You can share your thoughts on eight five double eight nine, double six, double nine six. If you're listening to us on Spotify and Apple podcasts, please do rate us and like we always say, and like you just said, if you're watching us on YouTube, please leave your comment.
Speaker 3: We'll be more than happy to learn your feedback. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Have a great week. If we'll come back with a lot of Asia Cup specials.
Speaker 3: Thank you,