Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I just checked during the break there to see if if I'm still locked out suspended from FanDuel.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and I am still are I got lifted today. They lifted me today.
Speaker 2: Did they give you any kind of a notice or did you just log in and it worked?
Speaker 4: They gave me. Yeah, they gave they sent me a notice and said.
Speaker 5: Like an email.
Speaker 3: I guess it was a very long email saying something like there was a suspicious activity on my account. Make sure no one is logging into your account or using your account. Make sure every make sure that every deposit is coming is going into this has the same name as the account that you're depositing from, into the account that you're depositing to, which, however, I did. I feel like I have a reason to believe why. I think that that may have happened. A couple months ago. I got a friend to sign up, and you know, I kind of cheated the system, if you may, by getting them to sign up, and I use their bonus bets, and I just said, hey, let me log into your account and let me.
Speaker 5: Do it, So that's why they flagged you, right.
Speaker 3: I think what happened was is and I don't even know why they let me do it anyway. Is once again, it sounds like a them problem. I thought at this point, because I ran out of his bonus money. I thought that I was logged into my account and I had put in like ten dollars or something like that. And then once again I wasn't even looking at the account. And then my buddy text me about ten minutes later saying, hey, I thought everything was done. It's just saying it just made a deposit into my account, and I'm like, that sounds weird.
Speaker 4: So in a weird way they were.
Speaker 3: They allowed me to deposit something from my bank account into his. I mean, it's still worked, I still got the bed on it. But after that, I guess that's.
Speaker 2: Like, but that at least makes sense as to why they would, why they would flag it and at least want to look at it. Yes, I still don't understand why being in Tennessee and then leaving Tennessee and going to Kentucky and logging in that automatically.
Speaker 3: It's the most simple thing ever. There shouldn't even be a discrepancy in that. Yeah, I mean, you're just traveling. And here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I believe that they agree and know that, but they're just they again that My whole complaint is that they don't have the resources to efficiently run this operation for customers.
Speaker 5: But yet you know they'll they'll have I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure there are many people in the same situation that I'm in. What I'm trying to say is like they would there would never be a scenario where I'm trying to give them money and they won't let me right like there. But whenever I have money in there, you know they're gonna take their sweet ass time to figure out what's going on. And it's it's I know I'm selling such a boomer here, but it's it's the bots they get me because oh yeah, you can't even say I can't even explain what I what I need them to do. It's really just to look at what I submitted, and it just keeps going through this cycle of them kind of asking and I'm sure this is just how it's like because they need to buy as much time as possible because they don't have the resources to quickly look over this stuff and get people back in business to where they can bet. So it's just set up to where they'll ask you kind of the same stuff over like three different emails that span an entire week, and it just drives me insane. And somebody yesterday mentioned, well you should, you should just sign up for a new account. You can't do that because you got to enter your social the last four of your social and all that stuff. So you know, I'm still betting. I mean, I'm using DraftKings, which is fine, but you know, a big part for me because I'm not doing this to make a living. I'm not doing this, you know, for anything other than just to have fun. But it is always nice to you know, win money. So looking at like what I'm working with when it comes to like the account, it's not like I'm looking at some crazy amount of money, but like that is a big factor and sort of you know the ride, right, you know what I'm deciding to do, how much money I'm going to bet on this and that? And I'll look at what's there and then all, okay, not a.
Speaker 5: Good week, Nick.
Speaker 2: Maybe we toned it back a little bit, smaller unit sized or maybe less wagers whatever it may be. And because I can't even act says, you know the account that's been active and I've been using for forever. You know, it just it's gotta be frustrated. And I don't My stepdad went through the same thing, but he went through it with DraftKings, and I mean, I'm now going through what he was telling me about for a law. I mean I'm talking like he didn't get I don't even I think he got back in finally, but I think it was like five months. She like what now, his his was a little bit different because his venmo got hacked, like look like not just but in his venmo was and his venmo was attached to DraftKings, so they did see like the weird stuff going on.
Speaker 5: But it was the same thing that he would like.
Speaker 2: It's it's they're all the same as far as I think, dealing with this and trying to, I guess get people back in business as quickly as possible. But like the process just isn't great because he kept having to send in, you know, pictures of his again, like I had to take a picture of myself.
Speaker 5: Holding the date.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's you know, crazy, And.
Speaker 2: That was Sunday and now it's Thursday and I'm still locked out, and it just makes me very upset. But whenever they notified you that you're good, was it a text or an email?
Speaker 4: What it was an email? That it wasn't I had to find it in my junk folder.
Speaker 5: Okay, maybe I need to look at that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go do that.
Speaker 2: I need to check that because I need I check your junk. I need back, I need back in business. I'll check my junk. Don't want you worry about that, young man. All right, it's coffee and Company. We are feel But Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us, taking you up until six o'clock today. The news yesterday, I think it broke like right after the show, or maybe it did towards the end of the show and I just missed it. But Pierce Clarkson, uh, probably one of the higher ranked quarterbacks to ever commit to Louisville, did in fact decide to into the transfer portal. I don't think it's a surprise by any means. I wish the kid nothing but the best, and I don't think anybody did anything wrong. I don't really have any energy one way or the other. I'm not at all like oh bummed, Like man, pe Look, if you are somebody that's upset that he's leaving because you like him, that that's normal. But I mean, who you upset at him? Well you should be upset him. He upset at Jeff brom What could he have done to change this? Like, I mean, I just truly think this is a this is a good example of this new world. I mean, you know, just just two of the things that came in on the text line yesterday from from you know those that because some people still text the text line even more not on the air, uh And occasionally I'll.
Speaker 5: Go back and forth with him. But one person mentioned how.
Speaker 2: Best of luck kid never got a fair shot, and then somebody said something along the lines of I really hope Jeff knows what he's doing here, and I don't, like, I don't even know how to respond to that, because the kid never got a fair shot, Like what would be like what you mean like he's not I mean, I just think this is a product of what you can now do as a college football coach. And again, I know I sound like a broken record, but if you don't have to name a starting quarterback and rely on a guy that you've never seen play as a starter before, has very very you know, very little to no experience, not because they're not good, not because you know anybody's fault. It's just like it's a new world now. So what was unfair about Pierce's situation? I mean, he got here last year and one thing that I should mention that I think it's pretty obvious, but he doesn't fit with what Jeff wants to do. Like it could work, but like when you think of Jeff Brohm's offense really excelling, you think of a certain kind of quarterback and it's more of a guy that is that is a pocket guy that has a little bit more size to him. And who knows, maybe Pierce ends up lighting it up and he's a phenomenal quarterback.
Speaker 5: At wherever he ends up. But if he does, it won't be anybody's fault.
Speaker 2: It won't because right now, if he decided nope, not going to go to the portal, going to hand the reins to Pierce Clarkson, fans would would say, okay, well let's you know, what are you gonna do? You're gonna support it, But like you would know that it's just a risk and it may pay off, but it's a risk that you don't have to take whenever you can go to the portal and grab a guy who you know is as good as Miller Moss. So it's not about what's fair and what's not. I mean, like, what do you would what would like? Did you want him to not play Tyler Shuck this year? Tyler Shuck's one of the best quarterbacks you've had around here in a long time. I think it's easy to I think it's it's very obvious. He's the best quarterback we've had since since Lamar. I mean, he was really good. But did you want him to play?
Speaker 5: Both guys?
Speaker 2: Like it makes no sense? And last year is a true freshman, did you want him to play? I mean, I know Plumber wasn't great, but like last year is pretty telling. If if Jeff Brown thought that that that Pierce was capable of as a true freshman, if he was capable of doing what Jeff needs his quarterback to do, lead his offense and all that comes with it. You think if he thought he was ready for that responsibility and it would make the team better, he would have played him and most coaches wouldn't have because regardless if you got Jack Plumber or not, because true freshman starting at power schools is just going to be really really really rare moving forward. So it's not that, you know, it's not that anybody did anything unfair. And also if there's anything unfair, it's just life that like things changed when he was recruited out of high school. The portal didn't exist the way that it does now. NIL wasn't what it is now. And for those who say, I hope Jeff knows what he's doing, like me too, But like if you're insinuating that, you're questioning and he's really going to have to, I mean, what risk is he taking here? Like the bigger when you say he knows what he's doing, You're like, wow, that's a risky decision.
Speaker 5: I hope he knows what he's what he's getting into.
Speaker 2: H I think that reaction would be very much warranted if he decided not to go get a quarterback and he just decided to trust a guy who's played twenty snaps in two years or something like that. So I mean, I'm not even really trying to just go like defending Jeff Brohm relentlessly here. But people unhappy and like upset about this. Your energy or your I guess your emotion is coming from the fact that things are just different, turning that energy into anger and blaming anybody for the situation. Like, I don't know where you would direct that anger, because maybe towards NS DOUBA because they didn't have any regulation in place. They tried to shove this archaic amateurism model for hundreds of years, seemingly, and now because of that, they're really really in a bad way because they can't enforce anything. You take the instab to court and guys can they seem to win every time. So you know, I'm not happy he's leaving, but I kind of expected it, and I don't think anybody did anything wrong. Sticking with Looival football, some good news here we've got I have not. I don't really know where this came from, but I did see well it's probably one of those message board things, and if I knew where it was coming from, I would give them credit, because trust me, this is something I was aware of. But I'm happy to hear it. That's that Colin Lacey is going to play in the Bowl game. Which is great because you know, he was he was healthy enough to play when he decided to opt out. But obviously he opted out because he wanted to maintain another year. And in the end, that was a good decision. Like it was probably still something certain fans don't like, but like it gave him a chance to play another season, and now you have him for another year. You were able to still win without him, at least enough. You went eight and four and he would have helped you. But like, I'm not sure you lost any of these games because you didn't have him. So, like, that was a decision that you know, was unpopular in the eyes of a lot of people, including Jeff Brohm, but it worked out. He's now back for another season and you don't have such a need to go to the portal and find playmakers on offense. You still need to go get guys in there doing that. But he's I mean, he may be your best offensive player next year. I mean, kind of sounds crazy to say, given we've got Isaac Brown coming back and Duke Watson and Miller Moss is pretty special. I think Chris Bell is going to be really good next year. So you know, that sounds like a stretch. But it wouldn't be a shocker if he is, because when healthy at Louisville, he started to really make some plays, and we know what he was doing before he got to Louisville and the boat. The postseason games don't count, so this won't count towards his you know, red shirt situation, right like this won't count towards a game that would make it to where he wouldn't be able to actually still utilize that red shirt. Now this is not pretending to football, but last night on the Pat Kelsey Coaches Show, he was asked, of course, about Trey Ouray, and I get the sense that just you know, and he didn't say this directly, but I feel like he's going to play against North Carolina, which, hey, you know, you certainly need all the help you can get against anybody you're playing, given just how tough it's been for this team with injuries. But I mean that's the next I mean, I know Carolina is six and five and they've been competitive against the good teams, but they haven't beat any of them. They don't really have any win. We talked about it yesterday. Carolina is a team that I still think will end up being one of the best in the ACC. And I still think they're going to make the tournament safely, But like, how do they get seated if they lose to all these really good teams and then they don't have any opportunities to get big wins when they get to ACC play. So just hearing Pat talk about tray Ora, I mean, you guys know, I was as high on Treira as anybody. Not that I thought he would be your leading scorer or that he would be, you know, this all American kind of player, but man, he's you know, the one thing that like he could you know that he doesn't really that you probably can't rely on. Is him just producing a lot of points for you. But you know, if he can give you eight to nine a game and he's helping you on the glass, he's playing really good defense. One thing we didn't really get a chance to see a lot of because he only played two games before he got hurt. He's a really good passer. And look in the half court. This team, they they you know, they're starting to get comfortable. I think you could tell against Kentucky they're starting to kind of find their rhythm. Each guy individually kind of figuring out where they fit in this new seven man rotation. But the guy that can distribute make it a little easier for you to get buckets out there because there's not a lot of creators. But I think he can do that more so for others than himself. Just a really rare player. So the center he's back to better. And again I still think this Florida State game, by the way is is is big, not because you've got a whole lot to gain, but man, I think a loss here would maybe it would be the end of the world.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't mean you can't make the tournament, but it would.
Speaker 2: I think it would take away a lot of the value that I believe they have they have with how they've played against these good teams despite it being losses.
Speaker 5: I stick around. It's Coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: Weere Phil about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day good here on a Thursday afternoon Coffee and Company. Fielbey Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety knit coffee and Austin Montgomery taking you up until six o'clock this afternoon. Let's see here, where do we want to go? This is something that that just it's distracting me, so I'll just share it with you guys, and I do think it's interesting. So the depth chart has come out for the bowl game for Louisville. So i'd mentioned the quarterback situation with Louisville, I would assume I would have assumed it was going to be Pierce Clarkson, but he is uh, and who knows, maybe he was told he wasn't going to start the bowl game because they just feel like, you know, because Jef's gonna want to win.
Speaker 5: And that's why.
Speaker 2: As I see here, Harrison Bailey is listed starter with Deuce Adams as your backup. So you know, I think it would make I'm looking at this as, hey, you know, I don't really care if Louisville loses. Let's just see what we got. But that's not how Jeff's gonna approach it. And I get it. So he's probably hoping to get do some some reps. But you know, they're going to try to go win this game because that's that's you know, that's that's how they're wired.
Speaker 5: That's what they should do.
Speaker 2: But I'm looking here at Deuce Adams on the depth chart and I'm thinking, okay, backup, makes sense. He's the only these are the only two scholarship quarterbacks you're gonna have.
Speaker 5: For the bowl game.
Speaker 2: But they listed him at six six two twenty in a red shirt sophomore. First of all, I'm thinking, wait a second, he's, first of all, not a red shirt sophomore as a true freshman, and I'm thinking six six to twenty.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 2: But he's not six six two twenty. He's in fact much smaller than that. So I'm thinking that's kind of odd. That's gotta be like a it's gotta be like a typo, right, And sure enough, I end up looking here. This is a Twitter account called Cardinal Companion, and uh yeah, car cards Companion is the Twitter account a really good observation. I'm giving them credit here because they posted the depth chart and they mention that they have it. They have it backwards, like, and I don't this cannot be some random, random coincidence. But they listed Deuce atoms year, red shirt sophomore, height, weight sixty six to twenty. It's a different deuce, but a deuce that's like this to me, I can't make any sense of it, but it's the exact height and weight of another deuce who is a teammate of Miller Mosses, who is apparently considering Louisville among other schools. And his name is Deuce Robinson and he is a I mean, he's a really really talented player. He's a receiver, and he's I mean that's those are like his exact measurements. Now I don't know if he's a red shirt junior or not, but like, yeah, so maybe they got that part of it wrong. But anyways, this gives me a chance to tell you that of all the guys that are visiting, and there's plenty of them, it's tough for me to even keep up with, but this would be this would be a big time get because Robinson was recruited by Louisville coming out of high school, ended up picking USC. And he's also a baseball player too, from an I understand, So, I mean tough to know if Louisville's one of the leaders or just one of the many schools that's reached out. And that's what's kept me from really like one.
Speaker 5: I don't know how.
Speaker 2: Entertaining it would be or interesting it would be for listeners of this radio show. The portal is certainly a big deal, but like it's really tough to keep up with.
Speaker 5: And you see a guy.
Speaker 2: Mention Louisville among ten schools, Like do you want to spend time learning about a guy that, like in a week, will never hear of again because he ended up elsewhere. It's just so chaotic and it happened so quickly that it's I mean, I'm kind of turning into that guy that's like, well, I'll just worry about him when they get here. Like I remember we used to talk like recruiting on the show, and there'd be the boomers that would be like, I don't care, I don't know. I don't worry about them till I see him on campus. And I'm not really there because again, I'm excited to hear about it and keep up with it, because it's really important. How you do in the portal is a big factor at how you're gonna get excited about next season. But I'm kind of just waiting for the dust to settle to kind of see fact who really is in the mix, because as mentioned, it's been been pretty hectic, but the latest commitments for Jeff Brown, They've added a FIU transfer who has a safety Jojo Evans. He committed to Louisville. They certainly needed to add some guys in the secondary and this is a good when he was the first team All Conference USA selection in this past season. They've also added a commitment from Abilene Christian transfer defensive lineman Jerry Lawson FAU offensive linemen Jordan Church. Looks like he visited but did not commit, and that's what's even harder to keep up. But I think they've got In the last few days, they've had more than twenty guys visiting from the portal. I mean, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but I'm thinking it's around twenty so. And some of these guys are really good players. And I guess at any moment, if they do in fact commit, it wouldn't be a big shocker. And I think how quickly all this happens is what makes it so chaotic. I mean, it would be a lot to keep up with anyways, just because there's so many players that enter the portal.
Speaker 5: But and for those that have said, like why do they do it?
Speaker 2: In between bowl games and in between the playoff, like that just makes it so much more difficult.
Speaker 5: And you're right, but the answer is obvious. It's because there's.
Speaker 2: A semester break. That's like you're going to enter the portal when school ends. And that's why I mean that that that window of time is always going to start when your semesters in so you can look at where you want to go next, and they're never going to change, at least not in a big way. When you I mean, the college football season is going to take place in the same timeline that it always has and now it's just extended because of the because of the playoff expansion. But yeah, I mean, this is going to be the norm moving forward to where you sign your your freshman a few weeks ago or a couple of weeks ago like they did, or maybe it was just last week.
Speaker 5: I don't know when it was.
Speaker 2: But and then as soon as as soon as the semester ends, guys hit the portal and it's open and it's a free for all, and it's I think it's always going to be pretty tough to keep up with, to be honest with you, all Right, Uh so.
Speaker 5: The news of Diego Pavia.
Speaker 2: I mean that that that is something that that we talked about earlier when we had Zac Barnett on and and just to kind of give you a little bit of of of of why Diego Pavia's name came up. He went to he fought the NCAA in court by stating that his two years of playing junior college basketball or football whatever it. Maybe he played football, but two years of playing juco football should not count towards NCAA eligibility because it's the NCUBLEA and it's the nc J something like the Junior College Athletic Association.
Speaker 5: And he was I mean he was.
Speaker 2: He was granted some kind of a temporary restraining order, which ultimately led to him being able to I mean, he won. He gets another year. And what this is going to do is it's going to have it's going to have everybody else in his situation who wants to continue to play college sports fight this. I mean, there's going to be guys that are coming out of JUCO right now that are looking into what they can do, because this isn't some blanket ruling like this doesn't just say anybody that's coming out of JUCO now they all have four years to play in C DOUBLEA sports, but he was able to win. So therefore, you know, until there is a blanket ruling that lets this just be a thing for everybody, right, everybody gets the green light that plays JUCO. Guys are gonna want to take advantage of this because again, you want to stick around in college because it's probably a really good experience for you and it keeps you from having to, you know, I mean, go and get a real job. And you can also make money now, like that's the biggest factors that you can make money. And some of these guys, if they're good, they'll make more money in the one two three years they play high level college sports than they probably will at whatever career they pursue after college, as long as it's not the NFL. And let's be real, a lot of really good players don't play in the NFL because it's a pretty competitive gig to get. So what I find fascinating about this as someone who did spend some time playing junior college basketball, I just think of what this is like if this ends up being a thing to where you can end up going to like you just know that you can go spend two years at JUCO and then start your four year college career after that. That's going to change again. I'm not sure if we'll get there, but if we do, that will change everything about these types of universities, these institutions. They now become very attractive for kids out of high school because, look, playing football as a true freshman is just gonna be really hard to do. It's always been hard to do, but now it's gonna be even harder because instead of just you know, I guess we'll roll the dice and have to rely on a true freshman, well you now again, you don't have to do that. You can go to the portal and get a guy that you know. He may be coming from the FCS. He may be coming from a.
Speaker 5: Lower level of.
Speaker 2: FBS football, like the G five, but hey, that's that's a more proven thing than what you'd be getting with a kid out of high school. Now you may and some guys may roll the dice and say, look, I can go get a journeyman essentially that's played three years at Conference USA, or I could trust my true freshman who's a four star recruit to get in there and play right away. But that's gonna be rolling the die. So like some may do that, but others may not. And that's just gonna make it to where like junior college could get some real life here that they've really never had or haven't had in a long time, and that would be huge for these for those schools. I mean there's a lot of junior colleges. Heck, the one I went to, it doesn't even exist anymore. I mean they ended up transitioning to NAI because financially that just made more sense for them, and then that school has since closed. So athletics is such a big factor in how you market your university, how you make money. And you know, in most instances there's not a whole lot of money made at the small level, but like anything that is generated like from your conference or from your gates when you have football games or whatever, like that's I mean, that's a bit. I mean, if you've got kids that have, you know, legitimate offers, but they know that they would be sitting behind multiple veterans, so they decide to go to a juco and yet they're like three star, four star kids, Like that's that that's a game changer for those kind of schools, so again.
Speaker 5: For it to be.
Speaker 2: Cleared for everybody to do it, that's where that's where it really would would, I think, kind of change how those schools, you know, how they operate, and who knows if it ends up being something everybody can end up doing or he just had a really good lawyer. But I mean, I don't think I never I never thought we'd be in this situation to where one it's just so much different than it's ever been with Nil and the portal. But we're at a point where nobody really knows where it's going, right, Like it's not I mean it, there's nothing that could that could break as far as news when it comes to a guy's eligibility or the amount of money they're going to be able to make, or how many times they're transferring. Like, I don't think there's ever been a point where anything wouldn't shock you, like it, that's just where we are, and it's kind of fun in a way. But it's also like I get why coaches now just realize this is not the same job that I that I wanted to do. Like Dave Clawson, and he's probably not the best example because you know, he's he's a he's a drummy old man seemingly anyway, And there's clearly some history between you know, Louisville and Clawson at wake Forest.
Speaker 5: But he mentioned in you know.
Speaker 2: In fact, what he said word for word was I just don't want to do it. It's not how I build programs, it's not why I got into coaching. I mean, yeah, that sounds a lot like, hey, you know, I'm going to take my ball and go home. But let's just take him a face value like that that quote specifically, I mean, I think he's being truthful because I think a lot of coaches would tell you that if they if they, if they could. And what I mean by that is you keep, if you're if you're staying in the game, and you're still going to be wanting to coach and make millions of dollars with this job being a much different job than what you initially signed up to do. I mean, you're not going to be successful one with that mindset, like you're you're you're already defeated if you're looking at it as this is terrible, Like you've got to embrace it and live with it and adapt. And certain coaches are doing that, and some coaches don't want to and I get it. I mean it is a the way in which certain coaches needed to operate, needed to do things in order to you know, have success. They can't really do that anymore, and that's not really their fault. I mean that's and things change, and you know, I'm just curious what that job looks like in ten years. Meaning, are the best head coaches in basketball and in football? Are they the guys that you know, not only know a lot about the game, but they can motivate players, They can they can campaign and raise money for nil. Like, there's so many layers to it now. And I know there's been so much talk about like needing a really good GM, and I you know, that's why you're seeing these jobs.
Speaker 5: They're created.
Speaker 2: They're being created across the country because the coaches one don't have the ability to manage it all themselves. They really don't probably want to do a lot of the work themselves as far as like balancing the budget and whatnot, knowing what players gonna get what, that kind of thing. But I think with college sports, you know, whoever the GM is, they're still working directly with that coach and that coach is still gonna have like what I'm long story short, what I'm trying to say is that even if you do bring in a GM to kind of handle all that work that you really don't want to do, there's no scenario you're just you're not involved like you're gonna have to be, because you're gonna have to make like you're gonna you're gonna be the one that's gonna have to determine, you know what, what do you know? Let me know what we have to work with when it comes to nil, and let's figure out how we can kind of, you know, manage that. And the gms can't be recruiting players. The coaches are gonna have to recruit players, and the coach is gonna have those conversations about money. And technically I don't even know if they're like supposed to according to the ends stated, but we know that they're We know that they're doing that, like it's been right in front of our face for the last week two weeks that like rules that are technically still rules are getting broken, like crazy guys are entering the portal committing five minutes later. It's because tampering's going on. You know, clearly players are being bought. Like that's just where we are, and it's just another example of how the n S DOUAA. Like, what purpose does the NAA serve right now?
Speaker 5: Literally?
Speaker 2: What purpose does the NSAA have right now in high level college sports? I mean they certainly serve a purpose at the lower level, but like at the high level, what do they exist for right now? Basketball and football? Why do we need them?
Speaker 5: We don't.
Speaker 2: You have to have some regulation, like you have to have some level of enforcement, but like what they're doing now is not much of anything. I mean, these power leagues just need to collectively vote on somebody to be their commissioner and they enforce their own rules. Maybe they'll only let you transfer one time if you make a bad decision at a high school or if your coach leaves.
Speaker 5: Like this, just this can't be.
Speaker 2: Sustainable, right, But I feel like we've been saying that for a little while. Now, all right, quick break will come, b I keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Man, I cannot wait for these college football playoff games to start tomorrow. It'll be Indiana and Notre Dame and the only game tomorrow night, and then of course three games on Saturday should be should be awesome.
Speaker 5: I have not let me see here.
Speaker 2: It's not super important because we're not doing postgame shows currently, but I don't know when Louisville basketball plays. No chance, you know, Austin, you have a guess. I'm gonna guess it's a nooner. Yeah, probably, I'm gonna say nooner. And I know it's on the CW. Maybe one, yeah, usually basketball. Yeah, they don't start many. Well, yeah, so let's see. We were both wrong two o'clock. You were closer than me, though, so two o'clock on Saturday on the CW. And I know it sounds corny, and I've said it many times, but I love watching this team play. I just I think more than anything, I'm just so I'm so desperate to see them look good to where I can still have some hope that they do in fact find their way to the tournament this year. But also, like I'm I mean, and I will say this, I don't talk to every fan like I'm not going door to door auditing every fan to get their thoughts and whatnot, but because of what the last few years were where we just felt lifeless, and not only that, like when we did have a good season last time, the last two seasons that were remotely good. One you didn't get in the tournament because of some bid Steelers and you were the first team left out right, and then the year before that you had a good team and we didn't even get.
Speaker 5: A tournament because of a global pandemic.
Speaker 2: So just to kind of you know, like, I know, what happened in the last five years or so is never like we can't compare the future moving forward to that and say, well, hey, why are you upset? Well, at least we're not four and twenty eight like, but I'm not doing that. I just the the years where we were just kind of lifeless has made it to where like now, like I just look forward to watching this team play because they're going to play hard, and you know they're going to probably lose to team the rest of the way that and it's gonna be sad. But uh, you know, the Kentucky game was one that is just tricky because I understand, no matter what, there's never a loss to your rival where you're like feeling good. But if you didn't really expect to win because of the situation, knowing that Kentucky's a pretty damn good team in Louisville hadn't been able to beat a team to that of that that caliber with a handful of tries so far this year. Like, you know, I guess I'm the moral victory guy because I'm encouraged with this team despite those results. But when I say that, I get bombarded by people saying I'm you know, a moral victory guy. And that's the first sign of the standard slipping. You're you're you're pleased with it.
Speaker 5: I'm not. It's not that pleased or being satisfied.
Speaker 2: It's just about like, you know context, you know, at Rapparina against a really good team, they were competitive, and and you know, you play that game in that scenario ten times, you probably can can get a few of them.
Speaker 5: We'll never know, but yeah, two o'clock on.
Speaker 2: Saturday against against Florida State. All right, So these playoff games the price to get in, So the first round games the get in price for these four you got a big difference, and you know, shout out to to Indiana fans because the get in price for IU and Notre Dame is the most expensive and it's buy an insane amount. So the get in price currently four hundred and sixteen dollars, and look, Notre Dame is notre name. But like Indiana, there's a fact they're a factor in that too, like Indiana, and you know, it makes sense, it's relatively close. I'm sure there's Indiana fans in South Bend, but like Indiana football, this year they've been They've never even had like an identity as a football fan base or as a program, to be honest with you, and you know this year they were, I mean they sold out games. Like put it this way, if Indiana had the same weather that the Penn State is having in Indiana was hosting, Indiana would would have sold their game out long ago. And the fact that Penn State is likely not going to sell out their home game it still just seems crazy to me. But we can talk about that a little bit later on. But four hundred and sixteen dollars is what it cost to get in if you want to buy a ticket to go see Indiana in Notre Dame. The second most expensive is Ohio State in Texas. I'm sorry, yeah, hoistateon Tennessee. Excuse me, it's one hundred twelve dollars.
Speaker 5: So think about that.
Speaker 2: Look at the difference there. One is born sixteen, one is one hundred and twelve. And then after that it goes to Clemson, Texas, which is a little bit cheaper at ninety three bucks, and then much cheaper when it comes to the SMU Penn State game, fifty five bucks to get you in that one. So why am I like all in on Indiana? Not meaning like I think they're gonna win, but like, well.
Speaker 3: It's a new team. It's kind of close to home, like literally and figuratively. Yeah, and our guy John, and we don't and yeah and our guy John, and I don't know. I guess us as Louisville fans has never really I don't know about you, but I've never really like had any animosity towards Indiana.
Speaker 5: I SA same, here's no.
Speaker 3: Rivalry there, Like you know, I'm sure the Kentucky fans probably hate them a little bit more than you do, and it's probably the same on the Indiana front.
Speaker 4: But I'm just you know Louisville.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously they weren't there at the college football playoffs, but Louisville was there at that point, and you know, just trying to be like a football program. Yeah, exactly, get putting their name on the map.
Speaker 4: We were there.
Speaker 2: I just think whenever it comes to teams that I'm like, yeah, I don't really like them, it's more so because of their fans and it you know, sometimes maybe it is personal, but like the reason the rivalry is what it is with Louisville and Kentucky more often than not, I mean, coaches, players come and go. The reason you have the animosity towards your rival is because of the fans that you and a lot of that is is is not serious to where like you you personally dislike people or that you know you you think that they're bad human beings. But I also do know that there's like, as I say that right now, you're probably thinking of somebody you don't like that's a Kentucky fan, or somebody you don't like that's a Louisville fan. And like, I mean, some of the best people I know were Kentucky fans. Some of the closest people in my life are Kentucky fans. So it's trust me, I'm not saying that, like you just assume that if you're a UK fan that you don't like them, but like you know, I know how it works. I know, I'm it's I'm there's there's somebody that you may really like. But if they then you watched the rivalry game of them and they were obnoxious, you would probably try to tell yourself like, hey, it's not that big of a deal, but like you also deep down would probably be like, all the hell with this guy, I'm never talking to them again because that because we're because we're kind of crazy about this kind of stuff. So when it comes to Indiana, I I mean, I know a few fans again, a company man John is a great dude, good friend, But like I can't really think of like Indiana fans being any certain way because I don't really interact with them, Like I don't really know a lot about them. And the Notre Dame fans like they're they're lame, Like they're mostly just bandwagoners. They maybe they are Catholic and they just decided to root for Notre Dame for that reason. I guess that makes sense, but like or they watched Rudy and thought it was a good movie. Rudy sucks, not a good movie at all, and it's dad was the worst. Yeah, it's the biggest a hole.
Speaker 4: I actually like Rudy under my bra.
Speaker 5: Oh it's I mean, look it's not I mean, is it a nostalgia thing or what?
Speaker 4: I guess?
Speaker 2: So, did you just love did you knew you knew Vince Vaughan was going to be a star. Yeah, yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 3: I mean, Sean aston Man, he's yeah, I mean it's goonies. It's a good up put it this way. I don't know why it became like the ultimate football movie and it's good, but like the fact that it's like just viewed as this legendary I don't know.
Speaker 5: I I guess I'm just a hater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, I'm I'm I am a habitual Hater's true. I hate Notre Dame too, But for some reason, I've always liked that movie. It's a good underdog story, even though I guess it's toned down a little bit when you kind of find out a lot of it.
Speaker 4: Is way of fabricated.
Speaker 3: Oh of course, Yeah, like over dramatized, I guess, but you know, it's still still a good film for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I'm a sucker for those kind of stories, but I guess I just have always been kind of anti Notre Dame, so therefore, I it's just I associate the movie with them, and that that that hurt. I'm sorry, Sean Aston. It's not your fault. You didn't you didn't you know, you didn't have any control over that. But yeah, I thought he would end up being like a bigger name after that.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, he really not really too much. He just kind of stayed in that room. He's always looked the same too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought it was hilarious when I realized he was in. He was the guy that was in the breakup with Jennifer Aniston and Vince vond and like those two guys were working together again, Like I remember making that connection parallel plans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, when did that Rudy come out? Now?
Speaker 2: I mean I feel like it was Yeah, I knew it came out around the time I was a little kid, and I came out in ninety three, whenever I was when I was three year Ok, So do you have like again we talked for this earlier in the week. Are you like when I asked you if you have a preference, like who you want to win the whole thing?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 5: Indiana?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess some more or less kind of rooting for Indiana. And as as our guy Zach said, I wouldn't mind SMU either. And it's not once again me being ace see no Homer, but I you know, I like to see it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And let's just say it ends up going you know, uh, chalk, and it ends up where there's no like no Cinderella's gotta gotta got a seat at the table towards the end. And it's just like the teams that we expect to be really good, like of the big dogs like Oregon, Texas, Georgia.
Speaker 5: Ohio State. Who would you prefer out of those?
Speaker 2: Uh? I probably would go Oregon. Me what about use you know, I just because I want somebody to win a championship for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you're right. When I was listening back to the show yesterday, I said, Ohio State. I wouldn't mind Oregon. Oregon's always kind of been there. Just might as let that let them get that monkey off there.
Speaker 2: The last first time national champion is uh Is is Florida when Spurrier was there, which is a long time ago. More inclusion, That's what I'm all for. Right, we gotta run Goffe and company. Fieldbou Thorn's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety