Speaker 1: In nineteen thirty one, a man returned home one evening to a horrifying discovery. His wife was laying dead in front of their fireplace. With few clues and no clear evidence, suspicion quickly fell on him, making him the prime suspect. Yet, nearly a century later, the identity of the true killer remains a mystery. While some are convinced he committed the crime, others argue that the circumstances around it made it absolutely impossible. You see, this is the case that has since earned a nickname, the Impossible Murder.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast material for mature listener discretion. Happy Friday. That is, if you are listening to this today, the day the episode's released, which is Friday. If not Happy whatever other day of the week you are listening to this on.
Speaker 2: Happy Day, hopefully it's Friday, because Fridays are a happy day.
Speaker 1: Fridays are good days weekends. There you know what, Generally, people don't typically work as hard on Friday.
Speaker 3: That it had a nickname.
Speaker 1: When I was working my last job, everyone called it a fuck It Friday.
Speaker 2: Seriously. Yeah, I don't know if I ever heard this.
Speaker 3: You've never heard of fuck it Friday?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Wow, Yeah, it's fuck it Friday.
Speaker 2: Huh, Because lots I felt like when I was like, had my other job that Friday was like, oh my gosh, it's weekend. I get all the shit done, you know, so I can enjoy my weekend. So I don't really know if I. Oh, I kind of wish I had that mentality. Now.
Speaker 3: Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 1: It was usually never like a matter of someone I mean, occasionally it happened where someone was taking fuck it Friday upon themselves, but usually it's like, ah, look at that dude over there not doing his job. Clearly it's fuck it Friday, like, you know, pointing to someone else not doing their work. Okay, but I mean it works either way.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 1: You can take it upon yourself to have a fuck it Friday, because once in.
Speaker 3: A while I can need that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but maybe that should be some some merch fuck it Friday, mad getting grim.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing. But I also feel like right now this season, people might need that, you know, just like some a day off. It's a busy season.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Everyone out there is getting a little bit wild, and I've noticed it's still I mean, you have that online shopping for Christmas and everything right and all the holiday seasons stuff, but it's still wild.
Speaker 2: When you go out shopping this time of year, it's just busy, like it's almost where did all these people come from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, consumerism is at a next level this time of year, and it just, I don't know, it drives me insane, if I'm being honest.
Speaker 2: But because weren't we out on a Wednesday? It was like two or something. I think, I don't know, but it.
Speaker 3: Was I think we went out for lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well no, we went to Winners and it was hella busy, and I'm like, aren't these like why aren't these people working? Like why is every like the lineup was huge? It felt like it was a Saturday.
Speaker 1: So anyway, Yeah, anyways, Honestly, like in this case, it's nineteen thirty, I kind of wish I could go back to the nineteen thirties. It seems like a nicer time. Don't get me wrong. They had their struggles of their own two which are probably worse than today, but it just seemed like things were at a bit of a slower pace back.
Speaker 2: Then, a little more simple, a little more simple sometimes sounds nice.
Speaker 1: It does, for sure. But yeah, I'm excited for this case, the Impossible Murder.
Speaker 3: Are you for this?
Speaker 2: I'm excited to hear about this too.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, this mystery, I mean, honestly, it hasn't gotten near enough attention over the years in my opinion, and it is known as the impossible Possible Murder. And it's one of those cases that makes you question everything you think you might know. Really Okay, So the story takes us back to nineteen thirties England and revolves around an ordinary couple. Now, what makes this case so fascinating is how controversial the trial was as well, not just the mystery around it, but the trial of the case, which of course we're going to dive into. So the verdict ended up being a first in English legal history. Oh yeah, and it left people completely divided, not even like just the public, but like some of the courtroom was like polar opposites.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, Oh are you telling you're not going to tell us right now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Here, I'm like, oh man, he's given us the goods right at the start.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm leaving I'm apping you up, is what I'm doing. Yeah, some believe an innocent man escaped the gallows, while others believe a cold blooded killer ended up walking free as a result of this trial. It's one of the two.
Speaker 2: Huh, okay, and.
Speaker 1: It's up for you to decide which is the case.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 1: So if you look at the facts, it's hard to see how this accused could have ever been convicted in the first place. In my opinion, it's pretty much impossible to have committed the crime. Or is it dun dun dune? Okay, enough amping you up. Let's get into the case. So it all started in a year of nineteen thirty one with an individual by the name of William Herbert Wallace. He was fifty two years old and he worked in insurance. He was an insurance agent for Prudential Financial. William seemed like pretty average guy for his age. He was quiet, relatively, you know, unremarkable, just living a normal life. Now, no one that really sticks out in society, right, just kind of blends in. Not that he was like it's a bad thing. He was completely happy with that, don't get me wrong, right, kind of like your average show exactly now. His early years were a bit more adventurous, as he worked odd jobs in far off places like India and Shanghai, before health issues eventually brought him back to England. Now, in hindsight, you can say that these health issues were kind of a blessing in disguise because in nineteen eleven he would meet Julia, the woman who he would quickly fall in love with. Two years later, the two got married and settled down at twenty nine Wolverton Street in Liverpool's Angfield District. Now, the Wallaces didn't have any kids, but they seemed perfectly happy with their quiet life together. They mostly kept themselves and even after living in the neighborhood for fifteen years, the neighbors never really noticed any arguments or tension between the two of them. In fact, people described them as a loving and devoted couple.
Speaker 2: And even back then so they didn't have kids, which was probably like a super rarity.
Speaker 3: Right, oh one d percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean even today if someone's if you tell someone that you're not gonna have kids, like they look at you sideways.
Speaker 2: They do. But I think it's slowly starting it to be more accepted.
Speaker 1: I think they're just slowly accepting it from us. I think those close to us are slowly accepting that we're not having kids.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I feel like more there's more and more people deciding not to have kids. Nowadays, that's true, but back then, I feel like you're supposed to be you know.
Speaker 1: Pumpo, like eight eight kids or so for sure, but you still get those sideways look. There's more people deciding not to but you still get judged the sardlets.
Speaker 2: I always think it's so funny because it's like, I don't give you sideways looks when you decide to have kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Karen, when your kid is running and screaming to the supermarket, I'm not giving you a sideways look, actually I am.
Speaker 3: But still that's okay.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. No, I feel like, just decide.
Speaker 1: What you'd like one hundred percent, do what you want to do, and hey, don't judge with people for how live. But these two were definitely living their best life, having a great marriage together. They were kid lists just you know, doing exactly what they wanted.
Speaker 2: Sounds great now.
Speaker 1: Julia had a creative side, and she was an excellent pianist and a watercolor artist. She was fluent in French as well, and had what William considered very refined literary tastes. William, on the other hand, was into science and philosophy and was known as an intellectual, though some found him a little bit particular a sorry peculiar at times. Still, though he made an effort to embrace the arts, you know what his wife was involved in. He even picked up violin lessons at the age of fifty, likely so he could play alongside his wife.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, okay, I must actually kind of obsessed with these this couple.
Speaker 1: Right, they're, like I said, living their best life, just doing what they want.
Speaker 2: Well, deciding you want to embrace on her new skill at the age of fifty is impressive. But I love that.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people who, you know, as you get older, like oh I'm too old for that, or you know, I should have done it when I was younger. It's like, hey, it's never too late, and tell it's too late, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the couple enjoyed simple pleasures like countryside trips and occasional nights at the cinema. But of all Williams hobbies, there was one that truly stood out chess. William's chess skills might be up for debate to this day. No one really knows how good he was. I mean, we'll get into a little bit. He obviously had some skill, but I digress. He was passionate about the game, though. We do know that it was one of the few activities that could get him out of the house and away from his wife. Unfortunately, in a cruel twist of fate, a chess match would set off a chain of events that spelled devastation for the couple. It was Monday, January nineteenth, nineteen thirty one. The workday had come to a close, and William had just arrived for his match in a local chess championship. So clearly he had some skill because he's in a chess championship right. So before he could begin, though, the venue's owner stopped him, explaining that a phone call had come in about half an hour before William had arrived there. The caller on the other end of the phone was a deep gruff voice individual and claimed to want to meet William the next evening at around seven thirty pm. He said he was a potential client looking to set up insurance for his daughter, and his daughter had just turned twenty one that day, in fact, and then he explained that he couldn't call back later because he's busy with celebrating the birthday and everything, so he called the venue to kind of leave a message for him right. The man gave his name as R. M. Qualthrow and provided an address of twenty five men Love Gardens, East Mossley Hill. William took the information from venue owner, wrote it all down and everything, but admitted he didn't recognize the name or the address. He asked around, but no one else seemed familiar with it either. As it turned out, there was a very good reason for that, though William wouldn't discover that until much later.
Speaker 3: Neither would you.
Speaker 2: No, my brain's going wild though.
Speaker 1: No, we'll we'll touch on this here in a moment, but we're gonna digress just for a bit now. Whether William won his chess match that night remains unclear and honestly not important to the story. But I still hope he won that shit regardless, Everything that evening seemed normal during the event, and soon though he was on his way home the next day, January twentieth, nineteen nineteen thirty one. We're still, you know, back in those thirties. No big time warp is happening here. It started off like any other day, any other Tuesday. William spent the afternoon collecting insurance premiums from clients, working between three point thirty and five forty five PM. Those interacted with him said he seemed completely normal, relaxed, chill, cracking jokes, and even enjoying a cup of tea with some of his clients too. Once he finished his rounds, William likely headed home at around six PM. It's here between six thirty and six forty five PM at the timeline becomes critical. What might seem like a small, insignificant window of fifteen minutes would soon become the centerpiece of this entire fucking case. Okay, so at this point, Julia was still going about her day as usual. We know this because a local milk boy stopped by the house around that time to collect a routine payment for her or from her.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Tragically, it would be one of the last interactions Julia had ever had before meeting her untimely death. By seven to ten pm, William was spotted roughly twenty minutes away from their home boarding a train. As he followed up on the mysterious appointment with this RM character, heading to twenty five Men Love Gardens East. That same individual you know left the message day earlier saying wanted to meet up at seven thirty right, okay, right.
Speaker 2: I couldn't remember what time it was with seven thirty.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty m Now, he was unfamiliar with this area, so William made a point of asking for directions from anyone who might help train operators, police officers, and even the odd random passerby. So there were several people who could put him in this place at the time. But where things got strange is right here. While there was a Men Love Avenue and there was also a Men Love Gardens West, South and North, there was no Men Love Garden East, which was the address that was provided. Some people William asked told him this flat out, there is no Men Love Garden East, while others assumed maybe it does exist somewhere nearby, they just didn't.
Speaker 3: Know about it. Okay, I mean it fits in.
Speaker 1: If there's a Men Love Gardens West, South and North, of course there'd be one east, but there wasn't. So by eight to twenty pm, Williams search for this elusive address had hit a dead end. He was frustrated, and he decided it was time to give up and just head back home, leaving behind this potential new client.
Speaker 2: That's such a piss off, hey, it is. That's one issue we don't have today, because I would just be like putting this in Google Maps, you know.
Speaker 1: Exactly a plot in it and Google now. William's neighbors were the next to give a timeline of his whereabouts. At around eight forty five pm, they were preparing for a night out when they heard a knock at their front door. When they opened the door to check who it was, they found William standing there, and he was looking a little confused and definitely a bit uneasy. He asked if they had noticed anything strange and explained that he'd been trying to unlock both the front and back door of his home, but neither key seemed to work for him. With the neighbors standing by to assist to see if they could help in any way, William tried the back door to the home again, and this time, for reasons unknown, the key worked.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: The door creaked open, revealing a dark house inside, lights were out, William stepped in began lighting lamps as he moved through the home. He checked upstairs in the bedroom, found nothing out of the ordinary, and made his way back downstairs. And that's when entering into the sitting room when he would have his whirl shattered on the floor near the fireplace, laid Julia's motionless body. No, the scene was grim. Julia had suffered severe blunt force trauma to her head, leaving no doubt that she was beyond help. She was beyond she was dead.
Speaker 3: She was dead. Yeah, she was done.
Speaker 1: William immediately called for help, and authorities quickly arrived at the scene. However, the initial investigation didn't bring much clarity to the situation. If anything, it only deepened the mystery and raised more questions than answers.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, and I okay, that's quite a visual, because yeah, I was thinking, goes in his house, he turned some lights on, but that's not really the case. So it would take kind of a little while. You know, he's lighting up this house, probably wondering a why the hell he wasn't able to get in and be like why it is dark?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And then as you're lighting these lanterns, or whatever the hell you're calling them. You see that, Oh that is a frickin' nightmare. And a half.
Speaker 1: Agreed, but that's what he was faced with. And yeah, and I mean, all things considered, I mean regarding this situation, like, it wasn't in any sort of disarray when he looked around. It's not like there was shit everywhere, you know, a clear struggle or anything. And aside from a few like slightly out of place things, it just kind of all seemed like, you know, the regular house of course, other than you know, ah, my wife's dead right there. Yeah, so yeah, so yeah, there was no obvious sign of a struggle. Blood was found in only two places, of course, near Julia's body and in the bathtub of the home. Notably, there was no blood on William's clothes that he was wearing that evening. Now, there was evidence of a cabinet being broken into, with four pounds missing from the cash box inside. Remember this is over it, okay, right, so it's four pounds. However, beyond that, nothing suggested a robbery gone wrong, and there wasn't the kind of disarrayed expect from someone ransacking the place either. One peculiar detail was the apparent disappearance of two items, a fire poker from the fireplace and an iron bar. Now, that bar reportedly was discovered years later during renovation on the house, but the poker itself. The fire poker was never found. Many believed that it was most likely the murder weapon, given how Julia's body was found next to the fireplace and the nature of her injuries. Now, despite the search of the surrounding area, this fire poker just simply vanished. In cases like this, investigators of course naturally follow every possible lead, you know, follow the evidence, as they say. Yet with the Wallace's nothing significant seemed to emerge from the crime scene or the investigation. There was no individual discovered with a motive that would want to harm Julia. Julia herself was known for being shy, reserved, sticking close to her husband and keeping to her It seems almost unimaginable that anyone would target her, let alone, in such a brutal way. If this wasn't a botched burglary, then what could have been the motive. Many believe that whoever this rm quaal throw was, that they were the true killer. They were the ones who brought William two men of Gardens East, which didn't exist as a ploy to get him out of the house so they could strike, assuming of course, that William an RM weren't the same person.
Speaker 2: Oh what the shit? They could be the same person.
Speaker 3: That's what unbelief.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know why. I wasn't expecting that. See my brain right now. I was either thinking that something bad was going to happen that night when he was like you told to go somewhere, or even the night before, and this was just like a phone call, like making sure he was there kind of thing, right, Because it doesn't make sense. He does have this these weekly things where he goes in place chess, So why do we have to make up this make believe shit too.
Speaker 1: We'll kind of touch on that. Okay, you're totally on the right track with your thought, one hundred percent, but we'll get there, okay. So in any case, of course, with the closest person to the victim, they're usually a suspect right away, and such William was put under the microscope. However, there were no rumors of infidelity, there were no reports of strained marriage, and from the start, public opinion, though, was firmly against William to them, the only person to have a plausible motive to kill Julia was in fact her husband, but there just again seemed to be no reason for motive.
Speaker 3: Now, when this.
Speaker 1: Case went to trial against William, this sentiment carried over to the jury, who, after four days of proceedings, took a mirror one hour and sentenced William to death by the gallows. They sentenced William to hang for the murder of his wife.
Speaker 2: It was just they were that sure, hey, yes, because right now, I'm like, well, I didn't just sit through a court case, I guess, but like, doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: It doesn't, I mean. The verdict came with a severe lack of any direct evidence, no quote unquote smoking gun, if you will, nothing that linked William to the murder scene. He unfortunately wasn't convicted because the prosecution had proven his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. He was instead convicted because he was the only suspect they had, and they convicted him and sentenced him to death.
Speaker 2: Because nothing else seemed like it could be plausible, I guess exactly to them.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: However, however, this lack of evidence was very clear, and the conviction was simply absurd too many. Even the presiding judge took issue with the jury's decision. As I said, there was a big split in the courtroom, right, Yeah. The judge disagreed with the jury's wrong. He reminded them that their duty was to acquit William unless they were one hundred percent certain of his guilt and based on evidence that he had killed Julia. The judge he even emphasized the case wasn't about uncovering who killed Julia. This case that they're talking about in the courtroom right now was strictly whether William was guilty and if so, what was the proof that supported that claim. That's what they're in the court for, not who killed her. It's did he kill her or did he not? And if he did, what's the proof? Okay, So, whether William was guilty or innocent will forever remain unknown and in contention. But let's take a look at the most common arguments for and against him. Okay.
Speaker 2: But so that that was like he was found guilty, then like that's that he.
Speaker 1: Was found guilty and he was sentenced to the gallows.
Speaker 2: Gosh, Okay, Okay, Like I don't know, it just seems so weird. To me that even the judge is like, you know, questioning this.
Speaker 1: We'll get back to a little bit of the court stuff here too.
Speaker 3: Don't you worry.
Speaker 1: I know where your head's at, and trust me, I did that on purpose.
Speaker 2: Of course, you did your kind of torturing us today. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: This is one of those cases where it was a torture researching it, because it's all open ended like that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: One major point regarding whether he did or didn't do it is the question of motive. William just didn't seem to have one. As I mentioned, there's no reports of marital issues, there's no secret lovers, and no big insurance payout to gain. And if someone were able to pull off an insurance scheme, William, being an insurance dealer, would have been one to know how to do it instead. Well, Julia had been insured, but for just a modest sum that was kind of considered average at the time. It was just your regular insurance claim. So to top it off after her death, William didn't undergo any dramatic lifestyle changes either, or for that matter, he just continued to live his life. Of course, though it's impossible to know what really goes on in a marriage behind closed doors. Right, they may have been having more troubles than anyone's aware of. So let's play devil's advocate here for a moment. Okay, Let's assume that William did want Julia killed. That means he would have had to come up with a plan, the elaborate plan. Okay, because if he wants or killed, he also has to initiate this RM quothro individual, whether he's the phone caller or he hires.
Speaker 3: Someone to do it.
Speaker 1: So he's got to come up with this plan, and he would have to stage his phone call from a fictitious client during a time when everyone at the chess club would hear about it. His address at this fake men Love Garden East. It would provide him with a rock solid alibi for being away from the house when his wife is killed. Right, right, So this being a potential is supported by a piece of evidence that was fann This is something that was discovered. The phone call from this RM was traced to a phone booth that was just four hundred yards from the Wallace home where the murder took place, which means it was very easy for William to go to that phone booth and make a call right so as the timeline is laid out by the prosecution in court. They suggested that William could have left his house at seven to fifteen pm, reached the phone booth by seven eighteen pm, and made the call that was answered at the Chess club at seven twenty. They also argued that whoever RM was, they clearly had intimate knowledge of William's schedule enough to note that he'd be at the chest that night, So who else could it have been? So they're saying William on his way to the Chess Championship stop by the phone booth, placed the call himself, then proceeded to the hall at the venue, and then received the message that he himself delivered.
Speaker 2: Shit that kind of makes sense, it does, doesn't it? And because then he can ask around that night like do you know who this guy is? Like where is this oh man? That really makes sense, it really does.
Speaker 1: But William's defense had some strong rebuttals to this theory. Even the venue owner himself, who took the call and knew William. He noted that RM's voice sounded nothing like William. It's plausible that this RM was watching William to leave the house waiting for him to pass his phone booth before taking that as a signal to act, almost framing William from making the call himself. But why didn't RM simply attack Julia then and there when William was at the chess championship and RM clearly knew that he was there at this chess championship, because I mean, hey, he placed the call there and he made the plans for the next day instead. Why is that the case? It's unknown, but the defense team in the court was able to provide an important detail on how RM could have known William's schedule. See, since William was participating in the championship game, his name was listed on the club's public roster, which was available for anyone to view, very open in the public, probably on a bulletin board in the venue. So it's not far fetched to believe that someone could have actually planned this simply by looking at that piece of paper, knowing he would have been there.
Speaker 2: But then it also makes sense that they would could have just done this crime that night exactly.
Speaker 3: Why not just do it that night mm.
Speaker 2: Hmm, instead of like trying to get him out of the house again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, some think that RM must have known the Wallaces personally at least to some degree. They believed he left the message with the venue owner instead of waiting to call back and speak to William directly to avoid speaking with him and like having his voice record. Right now, the most debated aspect of this case, aside from, of course, whether William committed the murder or not, is whether William could have actually physically committed committed the crime at all. And it all boils down to that timeline, that very important time window that I said that fifteen minutes. So let's go back and take a look at it. If you remember that milk boy stopped by and saw Julia alive and well at around six thirty pm, and the next time William was accounted for was approximately seven to ten pm, and this was about twenty minutes away from their home, Right, that's where he was spot at, twenty minutes away. This means at the very least William would have had to leave the house by six point fifty pm to reach this location in time. So for William to be guilty, he would have had to need to kill Julia clean up the scene because it was not a dirty scene. Right, there is blood found a little bit in the bathtub and at her body, no disarray on nothing, so ensure that no blood got anywhere in the process, including on himself and his own clothing.
Speaker 3: Hide the murder weapon.
Speaker 1: Maybe even if he did get blood in his clothes and he changed them, hide those clothes as well, All within twenty minutes. He would have had to commit that crime in twenty minutes to be seen at the location he was.
Speaker 2: Seen, because he was legitimately seen, yes, over there, yes by numerous several people.
Speaker 1: Okay, because remember he asked for directions from police public you know. Yeah, Now, as I mentioned, the house was quite remarkably clean, with blood contained only around her body, bathtub blah blah blah blah blah. And the idea of someone working that quickly while escaping the scene leaving it tidy, though it seems far fetched, it may not be entirely possible. Twenty minute window. People can do a lot in twenty minutes, right. However, the prosecution placed a lot of weight on that milk boy's claim that he collected Julia's payment at six thirty pm, but this wasn't as solid of a timeline as they hoped. A local paper girl testified that she saw the milk boy at William's door number twenty nine the address as she was leaving the neighbor's house number twenty seven at allegedly around six forty three. A group of neighbor boys backed this up, stating they saw the paper girl leaving a few minutes after six forty five. Oh boy, yeah, so instead of six thirty, it's six forty five fifteen minute difference, yeah, which means William would have had to do that in five minute minutes.
Speaker 2: But Kate, but could he have done this after like after he got home, you know, when he was like struggling with the getting the locks opening the door.
Speaker 1: I don't believe so, no, because he would have gotten home and he had the witnesses of his neighbors, you know, and it's prior to Again, he would have had only a few minutes because he's he was traveling by train, right, so he had a I mean, I don't have this in the case written out, but he would have had a train stub from his time traveling, so that again would have left no time for him to commit this crime in between arriving and the neighbors witnessing him enter the house. Well shit, yeah, huh. Okay, so the case has no clear direction. There was no hard evidence against William and no compelling leading points heading to anyone else at all, no other suspect. Now, Ultimately, William's conviction and sentence were overturned due to insufficient evidence. He never saw the gallows and he was released.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, okay.
Speaker 1: Making his case the first in English legal history to result in such a decision someone going to hang on the gallows and being overturned.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well you a few minutes ago you said something about like he didn't remarry and stuff. So I was kind of like noted, Okay, if I.
Speaker 1: Leave you on a cliffhanger, I always leave a little bit of bread combs for you for you to know which direction. And so yeah, I'm glad you caught onto that, because yeah, he didn't remarry. He was released and yeah he was not found guilty.
Speaker 2: Well this was like the love of his life.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: You know. I kind of wonder though, if there was something going on, like if she I, oh, it's just terrible to like say bad things like you know what, this couple seems so lovely, but maybe she was seeing someone else. Or something like you don't.
Speaker 3: Know, right, you don't know.
Speaker 1: So while William was cleared by the courts, night, his life never really truly recovered. In the public opinion. He was still seen as guilty and the relentless harassment forced him to move away. Now Sadly, his health continued to decline, as he had moved back to England with health issues. Yeah, health continued to decline, and William would die on February twenty sixth, nineteen thirty three, a little over two years after his wife Julia was murdered.
Speaker 2: Oh probably from like heartbreak too and like the stress that he would have yeap oh shit.
Speaker 1: Now. After William's death, his private diary entries were made public, revealing his grief and his just utter heartbreak over the loss of his wife. He wrote about Julia with deep fondness, but also hinted at lingering suspicions. One entry mentioned his belief that a colleague from work might have been the real killer. At one point, he even considered hiring a private investigator to follow this person, though he never named them outright or acted on the idea.
Speaker 2: Like before his wife was dead, kind of thing thought about.
Speaker 1: This or like no after she had died, and he's writing about the greef grief and loss and who he thinks did it is contemplating hiring a pi okay, okay, yeah now. Counts differ on the exact circumstances of William's death. Some say he passed away after refusing surgery that might have saved his life, while others claim that the surgery itself is what claimed his life. But either way, his final years were far from glamorous, filled with grief and unfortunately his declining health. If William was innocent, the question remains who could have wanted Julia dead and why whoever committed it was methodical enough not to leave behind any incriminating evidence, and yet so to the point that here we are today where there's no clear answers to who killed her back in nineteen thirty one.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just thinking, like, there could have been more evidence, right, I mean so much if we were to be if this case were to be happening today, you know, more things might have been like picked up and yeah, potentially.
Speaker 1: So that is the story the murder of Julia Wallace aka the Impossible Murder.
Speaker 2: Hm. Wow, And I wonder why he thought it was someone at work. Was there anything in there about like that he thought maybe Oops, sorry that was loud that she had involvement with this person.
Speaker 3: No, not so much.
Speaker 1: Now, I did do a little bit of digging on who to this individual could be, and it's pure speculation. This individual is someone by the name of Richard Gordon Perry, which is a former employee at Wallace's workplace. And I mean, maybe this isn't the individual that William was suspecting himself. This is just someone that others suspect really right, and they believe that he's kind of like motivated by like a personal grudge or something. And the guy's like known to be dishonest, had a history of petty crime behavior. So yeah, like he kind of had access to William's schedule and might have known, you know that the house would have been empty and stuff, or known that he's going to go travel for you know, potential client things like that.
Speaker 2: But so it could have honestly just been to hurt William I.
Speaker 1: Guess, yeah, most likely a potential revenge or something like that.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: Now, apparently there was also a witness that came forward later by the name of Lily Hall claimed that this individual confided in her years later about knowing details of the crime, and she also recalled seeing him wearing a bloodstained coat shortly after the crime. But this is strictly I mean, it's just her word.
Speaker 2: Right saying who was wearing a bloodstain?
Speaker 1: That this Richard Gordon Perry that works with William.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, huh wow. Wow. Now my brain is just like going in circles right now.
Speaker 1: But that is all circumstantial evidence and nothing to go on to actually be concrete.
Speaker 2: Man, that is just like a bucket of shit right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the biggest question mark I have is not like, did William do it? Did he not do it? The biggest question mark for me is why wait for the following day? Why not during that chess championship?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Maybe do they not? It depends maybe how well William did at that championship. For how long he'll be away potentially, well, it was kind of like up in the air, how long he'd be out of the house.
Speaker 3: I don't know, no idea.
Speaker 2: Do you think that it was William?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I do see him as suspect number one. Most of the evidence points to him, but I don't think most of the evidence points to him because he did it. I think most of the evidence points to him because we just don't have evidence for another individual. I think that the police unfortunately missed some details. I believe unfortunately, whoever committed it was careful enough not to leave behind many details.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think William committed it, but he is the most likely suspect.
Speaker 2: And the fuck that they put his freakin' uh like diary shit out there after that's so sad. But it was probably I loved when I'm assuming that was just trying to like portray his innocence more well.
Speaker 1: And I'm not sure if they like put every single word and phrase every page from his diary, but I they probably made some like important pages, like some things public, you know.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and too if he had turned down that surgery, it was probably like, you know, he wanted maybe to just be with his wife again, right, or what was the point of living without her or something, which is o art breaking?
Speaker 3: I agree. Oh okay, so yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: This one almost makes me want to cry a little.
Speaker 3: It's a sad one, it really is.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't get me wrong, Like all of them are sad, but this one, just because of that relationship, tugs at the heartstrings a little, you know, and yeah, it gets to you in certain ways. So yeah, hopefully you guys enjoyed that one. I had an interesting time researching it. It was a little bit of a different case being that quote impossible murder scenario. Definitely had my head spending a few times. I know that for sure.
Speaker 2: Well you did good. You had me on the ende of my seat like almost the whole time, I.
Speaker 1: Know, because you nearly knocked over that stool that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did. I was like really getting into it.
Speaker 1: Well, if you guys are interested in checking out more of our social media and everything, check out our description. We got all that stuff down there, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, we got merch We've had people sending us in their Spotify wrapped this week, and we've been on the top of many people's lists, whether it's number one, two, three, four, or five, you name it. It's incredible to see and thank you so much for all that support. It means the world to us. If we could ask you to go ahead, if you haven't yet, please give the podcast a review. It helps us grow. We are an indie podcast. We look after ourselves. We produce it, and those rating really help other people identify the podcast as you know, hey, something that they might want to see. So we really appreciate those ratings. And yeah, I mean a lot if you go and give us a rating that you feel is appropriate. But if I may suggest five.
Speaker 2: Star, five star, and we love that you're sharing the Spotify wrap. That is so cool to see. Kind of I get excited this time a year when that comes out. It's really cool.
Speaker 1: I get super excited, but also a little bit stressed because I'm like, I want to put them all on our like Instagram stories, and I hope I'm not missing any yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I'm like, we probably have missed a couple, but hopefully not. Hopefully not. We're trying our best.
Speaker 3: Send it to us again.
Speaker 1: If we missed it, just message us on Instagram or something like that and we'll see if we can find your message and put it on up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for being here, and of course, until next time, stay wicked.