Speaker 1: There is a woman who started learning Italian at ninety two years old. She's taken to it with flying colors, and she's not the exception. This week we discuss why it's never too late to begin and why the Italians will love you for trying.
Speaker 2: Chawatooti and Benvenuti Tuan Told Italy The travel podcast to where you go to the towns and villages, mountains and lakes, hills and coastlines of Bella, Italia. Each week, your host Katie Clark takes you on a journey in a search of magical landscapes, history, culture, wine, gelato, and of course a whole lot of pasta. If you're dreaming of Italy and planning future adventures there, you've come to the right place.
Speaker 1: Chao, Tuti and Benvenucci. Today I'm opening the vault for one of my favorite conversations from the archive. We'll be doing this every few episodes now as there is a lot for new listeners to catch up on. Also, I've had some interesting health diagnoses which is forcing me to slow down a little piano piano as they say in Italy, and I've had a lot of time to think about my travels in Italy, this podcast and what they mean to me.
Speaker 3: And all I can.
Speaker 1: Say is, if you're wondering whether you should take the trip, do take the trip. You just never know what's around the corner, and you won't ever regret taking that trip to Italy that you dreamed of. I'd also like to do a big chout out to Natalie Coo nine from the United States, who left the most lovely and thoughtful review on Apple Podcasts. Natalie, I really appreciate it and you made my day when I really needed it the most.
Speaker 3: Natalie asked if we could do some more episodes on Abruzzo, and yes, that is a great idea.
Speaker 1: Luckily we have just the person on our team snuggled into a tiny town there who can share a lot of insight. It's into that beautiful region. Now onto the episode. And so many of you have told me that you would love to speak a little Italian before your trip, and that something always holds you back. Usually it's the worry that speaking Italian is too hard or the feeling that you have left it too late. My guest and my friend Monica Cousinmani Bona runs an online Italian school and Sue Mazura Italy and she has a real gift for making the whole thing feel possible. So ANDIAMO, let's talk to Monica ben Venud de Monica. Welcome to the Untold Italy podcast. Thanks for having me here.
Speaker 3: I really enjoy the podcast and satan honor to be here with you.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, Monica. It's great to have you. And we've been following each other around the internet for a while now, so it's really great to have you on the podcast to talk about learning Italian, which as you know, I need to do better at. Well I want to do better at anyway. And I shared your introduction earlier with our listeners, but I would really love them to hear your story and what you do in your own words.
Speaker 3: First of all, yes, I'm Monica, and I always say that I'm a girl from Pimonte, which is a region in north of Italy. I grew up in a tiny little village with my family. My grandparents used to own a shop like a classic village shop with everything in there. We knew every customer by name, and that shop was open for fifty years by them, and now it's still often and another family is running the village. Is called Govone and it's sort of one hour from Tourno Turin in English. I moved to Australia in two thousand and thirteen after studying architecture, so I'm actually an architect in Italy. But when I came here, the idea was to stay here for probably aya English. I learned better English. I study English at school. So what happened is, like everyone study a language at school, they end up to go in a country and struggle when they start and they want to speak. So when I came to Australia, yes, my English wasn't great, so I couldn't really find a job as an architect, like I did find a job at the end for a couple of months. But what I did was starting to have languages exchange with the people here in Perth. I'm in Perth at the moment, so language exchange make me really thinking that learning a language was not as difficult as I thought. Lots of practice and having someone very friendly to speak with was nice. That led me to start to investigate more on how to learn a language, and I found out that yes I did like architecture or all the other jobs that I did while I was studying, but sharing the passion of learning another language became probably my first goal. So I study a lot and I opened this little school called Sumizura, Italy in twenty eighteen, so a couple of years after, with the intention of having a friendly guide and what I call mother in language, so someone that actually can help you learn a language, as I did when I came to Australia, in a friendly and a very relaxed way, very far from the classic way of learning a language, enrolling in a school that is all what I knew in the past. So yeah, from twenty eighteen I owned this little school. I start by myself with one on one lesson in person, but then things change. COVID came, so the school moved online and now we are a team of five. Mainly we do lesson one on one online, so we have students everywhere in the world and we share this way. They love that I have for the Italian language.
Speaker 1: Oh that's amazing. I love hearing about your journey. It's really interesting to learn how people came to be walking along their chosen paths and that you arrived at yours through architecture. And I also know a passion for food and wine and a trip to Australia where mine was kind of in reverse. Actually, so you know you've been on this journey of helping people to learn Italian, and what we wanted to talk to our listeners today is about whether Italian is a difficult language to learn. But before we really dive into that, perhaps you could share your opinion on if our travel loving audience should learn some Italian before.
Speaker 3: They arrive in Italy. I feel like when the Lorneing planet was big and I really loved it and use it. At the end of each Lorning Planet there was always a little vocabulary section and few little sentences. I think that part is still very big and should be a part of each travel wherever you go, especially if you travel to Italy. It's not necessary, okay, So, especially if you travel in main city like Venezia, Roma, ference Napoli, you will always find someone that speaks English restaurant, hotel, or like when you visit a place or museum. But the thing is, even if you go in those cities, if you are able to just say a nice word or use one of those sentences from the end of the Lone Planet in a nice way, doesn't matter. If you can understand the answer, but you are making an effort to communicate with the person that is in front of you in their language, that will change your trip. That will make your trip much more enjoyable because you'll see straight away the face of the person in front of you with a big smile. That person will be more willing to open with you and make sure that you have a great experience. So that could be just an easy word like pronouncing well bon journal, or don't say show to everyone but use the right greeting base on where you are, or just order your coffee in the way you like. No, doesn't need to be big. I always say maybe just like dive in even just by yourself while you're going there on your journey with the airplane, especially if you live in a in America, so it's quite far, so you have a bit of time to read those sentences and try to make them you're on. You don't have to be perfect, but you need to enjoy. That will make your trouble even longer because if you study a tiny bit before the journey that travel, it's actually longer now because you start to be in Italy without being there yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think You're right. It definitely builds some excitement before you go, and you're sort of thinking, oh, how can I order that gelato? When I'm there and it's you know, like instead of saying, oh, can I have chocolate?
Speaker 3: You know, it's a friend detO.
Speaker 1: You can have a you know, you feel like, oh, I'm a little bit Italian myself, and I do know in my you know, I need to do a lot better, but like I do, try with those basic things and it does make a big difference. And there's a bit of a thrill as well when you recognize some words that are being said to you. Just recently, we were at a restaurant and everyone at the table except me spoke fluent Italian and they were not all Italian, and the server was explaining the menu, and I was I could actually understand what was going on. So I was very proud of myself, you know, because I could understand what they were saying. And it does add just that little bit extra So instead of just sitting there kind of blankly going in English, please, you've got a little bit more insight into the culture. And apart from anything else, it sounds wonderful Italian with they were rolling ours and you know the accent. It's beautiful language. So I definitely think everyone should have a go when they're in Italy.
Speaker 3: But I think.
Speaker 1: Maybe some people think it's hard to learn. So what do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Okay? How hard that Our studies and maybe I mentioned those after that says which level of language, like which language has different level of difficulty to be learn especially for an English speaker in general, it depends what little goal you set. Okay, so it's hard. But how hard is to repeat like a sentence even if it's not the right pronunciation, But it's not really hard, is it? Like if I tell you please, can you repeat for Reye? Can you repeat that for me? It's not too difficult, isn't it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: You might just want to ask me again and then I will say that again for Reye. So once you sort of like decide what is your goal, then you can understand, Okay, is it very difficult or not? Everyone can learn? Okay, So it's not something like nuts or like chemistry where you actually really need to have that kind of brain. Language are something we learn since we are zero, okay, So doesn't matter Like I have two little kids nineteen months old, and it's unbelievable how I can speak with him in English and in Italian. Any understand they have like a fresh brain and they don't have much stuff to think about. But everyone can learn, it's just a matter of practice. In fact, going back to answer your question, is that difficult actually Italian? So the four American Foreign Service Institute made a big ressarch in this make four different tire of languages, and based on that give you few indications on how hard it is. Actually Italian is in the easier tire. So if we look at Taiwan is Danish, Dutch, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Panish, and Swedish. Then goes to German, Indonesian, Malay and Swahi. Then three there is Hebrew in the Greek, Russian, Turky, Vietnamese. And going to four is all the one that very have the letter and the alphabet very different, So Arabic, Chinese, which is contanies A, Mandarin, and Korea and Japanese. So that is the fourth time. Based on that sort of give you a little indicator on how many hours do you need to learn a language to be in a sort of like normal proficient level. Okay, So if your goal is going to Italy and have conversation about day to day things, not so asking Huh, how was the weather, what did you do last night? What are your planning for next year? What do you do as a job, and why your kids always complain about wanting to have the ice cream. That kind of conversation will take you between six hundred to seven fifty hours to reach that kind of level, when the last time, for instance, will take you two thy two hundred hours of practice. So it's very different. So that hopefully will explain you that Italian is not too difficult to learn compare to other languages. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's really interesting actually, because we have this perception in our mind of like things have to be instantaneous, you get it straight away. And I'm always telling my children, oh, you've got a practice. You're not going to be able to play that on the piano or the guitar, or you're not going to be able to do that step in your dancing without practicing. And then sometimes as adults we maybe forget that and when we want everything to be insted and it obviously does require some practice. And there's a really great book called Atomic Habits I don't know if you've ever read that one.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so interesting, and he just says, you've got to practice or do a little bit all the time, and then there's like a tipping point where that pushes you over the edge and you'll you'll begin to make something a habit or you know, you begin to learn it and really internalize what you have learned and be able to practice it. And I just I always try and come back to that, because if you're not practicing something well, you can't really expect to expect to be getting very good at it.
Speaker 3: Correct In fact, it's nice that you mention your kids and you have to remind them. So what happen is lots of people come to me and say, I wish, you know, I couldn't speak Italian, but I'm too old. I wish I learned in the past my parents or my grandparents were Italian. They never spoke with me or they spoke with me, but just dialecting now I will not be able because I'm too old. There are two differents, like one is learning as a really young age like my kids age no, so be involved in the language from day one. That is a way to learn Italian or any language in genera. The other one is learning Italian as an adult. When you learn it Alian as an adult, you can make decisions, you decide to learn. You can think, okay, now I'm learning, I want to learn. And then that is when it's actually better to be adult, because you choose. No, you don't need anyone telling you. You know you need to study because you choose to study, so no one tell you, especially as an English speaker, you don't need to learn Italian, right when an Italian needs to learn English, okay. So once you choose to study for any reason you might have, and choose again your little goal or big goal, then as an adult you make it happen, okay, And you might sometimes need to have a guide. But these days it's much more easier to find ways to learn the language than in the past. When again, when I study Italian, I'm not too old, but when I study English, was just making lessons in a school. And maybe it's yes that aware to some tool to that will help you out, but that are aware definitely not all the other tools that we have available at the moment.
Speaker 1: Time for a quick break shorter than your morning Espresso. For daily travel tips and behind the scenes content from our tours. Make sure to follow us on Instagram at Untold Italy Tours. Yeah, there's so many, aren't there. There's like you know, I think everyone usually starts playing around with duo lingo and maybe then buys a course or something like that. But you know, what I always find with those is that I have to hold myself accountable sometimes, you know, life gets in the way, you know, And I think for me, I'm learning as I get older and older that I need to have some accountability in place that's external to me.
Speaker 3: And everyone's different.
Speaker 1: People have really got that self discipline where they can do you know, the learning on their own. For me, you know, I don't like to let people down, so like I feel like I do need a tutor because like I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So I think.
Speaker 1: Everyone needs to maybe if they're thinking about learning anything, not just the languages, to think about their learning style and what's really going to work for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, and more you are adults and more, you know what you need. No, I have students that are so good that they I mean, I wish I was like them. They set a timer every night, like before going to bed, and they do five minutes of Italian or other students that every time. They go for a walk constantly every morning before going to work, and they put up their podcast. So as we were mentioned, you know you can if you like to cook that you can go on Instagram and follow all these Italian cook and listen them to speak, reading their recipe. Try to use the recipe in it, like while you're cooking, repeat the ingredients in Italian. If you like play video games, you can play video games in Italian. Watching movies apps dueling is a great app to mention, but there are also apps that make easier to learn. For instance, there are apps that you can download on your computer, so while you're watching Netflix, even if that Netflix show doesn't have subtitle in Italian, you can download this after put the sub title on the language you choose. So there are lots of tools. There is YouTube podcast of course, books like traditional learning books, online courses that are great tools, like so they already set up you can download. They are definitely cheaper than other thing, but they give you a guide and you sort of like two steps by steps so it depends how you are. I feel like all of those needs a bit of a guide, even if you are very good. But then if you don't have anyone experience in learning a language or teaching a language, then it's actually difficult to say, oh, okay, now I see tire, I have time. I want to learn. But how I can put all the information that I have, like even dueling on, and how I can start to speak, because at the end of the story, we want to speak. We can have lots of vocabulary, but then if we can't put them together and we don't have a structure, which sometimes is a bad word, it's called grammar. But if we don't have that, then it's very difficult to yeah, to start speaking. So I feel like if you have a guide and then can be like a tutor, but can be once a week, once a month, or once every six months, doesn't matter. They give you a plan and then if you are able to follow the plan by yourself, then you do. Otherwise you keep doing that. You need to have a plan not and sometimes, yes, I definitely think that sometimes people needs more a guidance. I'm the same I don't really like to go to the gym, and I know if I have a personal trainer, I will go, I will exercise, and I will think about even when I'm at tom to try to do some of the exercise, not all the exercise that they suggest me. So, yeah, the brain is another muscle and you have to train. It doesn't matter if it's for the language or anything you're learning. You need to create a habit and train.
Speaker 1: It's so true, like it's ridiculously simple in a lot of ways, really, isn't it. It's not like I think we really try and maybe set these expectations and then we go, oh, that's all too hard. But actually, really learning anything is quite straightforward, and we maybe be overcomplicated a little bit.
Speaker 3: This is the problem of adults. Sometimes we put too much stress and we are so judging ourselves and we say, well, at this point, I should not isn't that and I should be better? And I went to Italy and I actually I couldn't speak. No, But then this is the first time you went to Italian you couldn't speak. Then next time, if you practice a little more, you will be able to speak a little more. So it's the journey. I feel like, if you can try to not thinking too much about the goal, but thinking about like how amazing is your brain and how much you are learning Every time you are actually put yourself on the tot of learning the language, then it's amazing because then you feel proud of yourself and your little steps.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know you mentioned before like some people think, oh, I'm too old to learn, or you know, like I've got too much going on, But it really does take just a little step out of every day to learn something, even if it's a new language. And I would like at this point to say a shout out to Dana, who is a very good friend of my parents who learns Italian every week. She makes a bit of an effort to go and do that, and she's had many adventures in Italy, going around on buses in remote areas and having a lot of fun. But she just keeps going, and you know, that's really what's required. And I think we can get easily kind of distracted with everything, but I do think the sticking points and where people may be I think it's maybe a confidencing is around the grammar and pronunciation. So you don't want to sound silly by saying a sentence that doesn't make sense or doesn't sound as lovely as the way you speak Italian. I think that's maybe where some people get stuck.
Speaker 3: Is that your experience, Yes, more than pronunciation. I feel like every time people come to me I have to learn any language in the past, especially have the main moory of school, it's the grammar. Every time people hands and say I want to learn a language, but I don't want to learn the grammar. It's too difficult. Can we just do conversational And I said, yes, we do, will conversate from day one, but you need to touch grammar. If I change the grammar, world in another world. And I say, I'm just gonna teach you some rules, I think that scares you less. I just give you some tips on how to put together words or how to change the ending of these words to make it work in a sentence. Yes, sometimes we just worried about the memory we have of learning a language, especially as an adult, than what is actually is now. I feel like English has less grammar than Italian or grammar rules, but for an Italian it's actually really difficult because we have to convert so many things that in English are converting one thing, and then we think, oh, it's not possible, we need to make it more difficult. But anyway, once you have those rules explain to you in a nice way, not too difficult, very practical, using the sentences and speaking out, then it's not too difficult for pronunciation. I feel like there is a big mistakes people think. Sometimes people think I don't have a good pronunciation, and sometimes it's the accent. Okay. So I tell you that good pronunciation has to be learned, and I feel like it's very good if you make an effort to learn pronunciation, but accent is very difficult, okay. So if you can distinguish these two, then it's good. Because I speak English at the moment, but you definitely can hear my accent, okay, But I still communicate with you. It's now eleven years that I speak English, so imagine how long it took me to get here, okay and speaking that level. And I was here for the last six years. Then I stepp. I was in Italy for a year, in Spain for another year, and back again two years in person. So before that I don't count because I don't count my learning language. When I was in school wasn't wasn't speaking was just learning rules back then, learning the grammar. If you can just distinguish these two things, you can You will very hard to have the perfect accent, but you can learn the right pronunciation. And pronunciation is fine. Like I always say, if you learn to say nyocchi in the right way, okay, and don't say noki. It's not because you have a right accent, you have just a right pronunciation. So if I tell you that gn in Italian has to be read, every time you see gn in Italian, you have to think about the world that New York or Kenyan and why so if you think about the word kenyan and now you say nyoki because as the same new sound, then it's done. So this is a rule. I'm just I just explained you a grandmar rule, and having that then you will never make the mistakes. Maybe you will sound a bit American, or sound a bit Australia or English or Spanish, doesn't matter, but you pronunciate that world right. So this is the different and I think everyone can get the right pronunciation, maybe not the right accent.
Speaker 1: I've got a question. This is like totally it's a little bit off topic. But it's always fascinated me. If an Australian is speaking Italian. Can you tell the difference between if an Australian is speaking Italian or if an American is speaking Italian?
Speaker 3: I can, I mean, because it's my job. Yeah, not many people can. But as an English speaker, when you hear an American, you know he's American, and when you hear English, you know he's English or Indian, this English, you know Italian. When they hear you speaking like in English, they will not recognize, especially if they haven't studied or they haven't spent time in one of those countries, they will not distinguish. They will hardly they will say, oh, this is Australian, this is American. For us, it's all English okay, and all difficult okay. As for you it's difficult Italian. But when we are, when we are Italian, we can definitely know this person is from Pimonte, or this person is from Rome, or this person is from Naples, not because of their dialect, but because of their accent. Thing that may be at the start you as a learner, you will not understand. And this is why when we do what we call Italian for tourists. I always ask, because we customize for each student, we always ask where are you going to go? Because there are some words that are used more in the South, more in Rome, or more in Piemonte that will change very much language now it's not the different language, but just a way whispit.
Speaker 1: That's so true because my husband's mum and he learned Italian from his mom, and they're from the south and they seem to drop the last letter of a word. Yeah, does that in English too, actually, so it's quite interesting to see. But like you can definitely see and we don't need to go into the politics of the north versus South in Italy, but you know, people definitely know if you're from the north or the south, and sometimes you get a little reaction different ways. So I think that's a really great service that you're offering, because you know, recently we were also in Venice and was with someone who was from Tarno actually, and yeah, there was some you know, you could see that there were you know, we know if you're not from here, we know you're Italian, we know that you're not from here. It was quite interesting to learn, especially if you come from a country where you can't really tell the accents unless you're very attentive. There are been in Australia where I think everyone thinks there's just one accent. There's actually I think there's more than one accent. It's but in Italy it's very hyper local, isn't it. So you've got like so many different accents and ways of speaking Italian in general.
Speaker 3: I always say that my grandmother when I speak dialect and my diet, it is little, but it's there. When I speak dialect, my my grandmother always say, you seem like someone that comes from Torino, which is one hour from where we are. No, so she says that my dialect is actually not the diet from the village, like more a city dialect is more like refined dialect. So it's very interesting. How yeah, the language change. And this is I really want to say. You know, like this is why it's so good to learn a language, because while you're learning another language, you actually learn more about your own. You learn like I have students says I never understood English or grammar rule until I study Italian. Now I know why I'm saying that. So if I have to tell my children like we are using their do indeed, and now I'm not exactly when I use it. So it opened up so much your brain. And this is why they say when you learn another language, you have less chance to get dementia. It's one other very important thing to do, like learning another language will help you out, so because really it will make your brain or the gray white part with your brain that works so much like learning and improving and open up your world.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, making those different wide connections in the brain totally. I just I find it fascinating actually, like just to understand the different ways that your brain works in learning anything.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put my hand on.
Speaker 1: I learned French and Gien up until the end of school, but you're right, it didn't actually sink in. I was very good at passing exams, so I did very well. And you do do a bit of speaking in that sense. But you know, I was recently in Germany and it did come back beit the German which was like, oh where did that come from? It was seeing there somewhere, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nothing completely lost, so you know, like he's there. And I always say knowing something is better than nothing, like whether you have the dialect, whether you study at primary school, whether you learn with due lingo for or five years in a row, everything is useful to build up. But then yes, you need to speak and you need to practice lots of hours and they don't need to be all in the same week. You can do one hour a week and take longer, or you can do five minutes a day, or doesn't matter how you do it, and it's just everything is building up somewhere. Okay, it depends how much time and how much you want to be involved. It has to be nice, you know, like we don't have to have mark source core, or like we don't need to pass exams. If we do it, we do it for ourself. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's the key thing as well. If you want to learn something and you do it for yourself and you're much more motivated than if you're.
Speaker 3: Forced to do it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it depends. When you're younger, you're kind of motivated by not getting in trouble for not doing it, not getting good grades often. But but yeah, I think it's a much nicer way to learn if you've got that motivation yourself, and like you said, like just getting started in different ways, it builds up and up, and I actually to maybe I'm being a bit harsh on myself, but every time I do go to Italy things do you become a bit easier? And I'm thinking to myself, now, when if I really practice a lot more, imagine how I'll be the next time that I go. So, how do you think we can understand how we're making progress in our language learning? Are there any sort of key markers that you would think that, oh, yes, someone's really taken the next step to the next level. Before we continue, here are a few messages for on the go, curated travel tips, restaurant recommendations and fun things to do in classic and hidden spots across Italy. Download the Untold Italy app link in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that a different way you can do it first is booking a tour or going to it taking once a year, so you, as you were saying, you will notice that you're here, that you can understand more or you can speak more every year. So that's probably the first thing you can do. Easy. I always say to students to record themselves these days. You can take your fine yourself saying simple sentences or whatever comes in your mind, because whatever like can be oh I'm brushing my teeth and recording yourself and then record yourself in a six months time or a year time. That is another good thing. Or even just taking any Italian article okay, or a book or anything you can read in Italian and record yourself or your voice reading that article in Italian. You will hear that you get more fluent because the words will be better pronunciate and everything will go faster. Okay, and you can hear from your voice that you're not just reading words, but you actually are making sense, like all those words making sense. This is another way, definitely, if you have the help of a tutor. The tutor can tell you, now, okay, we tick all this stuff out, but not just sticking. I know you can use the past. You can speak about how was your experience and yesterday and you can say yesterday or no, tomorrow, I want to go to visit the Fitzi Museum. Okay, so you can speak presently past. So you're taking all this stuff. So this is another way. I feel the best way knowing that you are making progress is how you feel with the language, and sometimes like you become addicted again going back to the habit At one point I feel like when you get so used to learn the language that you are actually thinking in Italian, but not thinking and speaking with your husband all the time in Italian. Is just like while you're driving saying, oh, that's very interesting. How would I say that in Italian? How would I say? I should break now? Otherwise I hit the car in the front. So if you can recognize yourself having that thought, that is when you're actually making progress because you are curious about the language, and you are learning very fast because every time you ask yourself a question, then what happen is you will know everything except the word indicator. Okay, indicator is Italian is frictchuer okay. So now that you translate with me, but you could translate with your Google translator, that word you are learning because you knew all the sentences except that word. So that's another good way to feel that you're making progress because the following time you probably will remember the fracture, which actually means arrow. And this is why I always say to my husband, you didn't put arrow, And it's like what a row is an indicator? This is like how it's there is the design and the indicators really arrow, So this is why we call arrow frict. So yeah, when you when you consider yourself, when you when you notice yourself thinking in that other language or thinking this is when you make the most progress.
Speaker 1: I think, Oh, that's really interesting because when you said fred chair, I knew what it was and I was like, oh, yeah, because the fred chair is the train.
Speaker 3: Right Ah, yes as well because they go very fast like an.
Speaker 1: Yeah, making the progress. So just circtling back to the grammar though, because I was thinking while you were talking that it's very interesting because maybe people have a block on learning languages when they're an English speaker because we're not actually taught the grammar. And I know, you know, when I was at primary school, when we were doing English, it very little grammar was actually taught because there aren't maybe there aren't so many rules in English, and so I don't know whether that's something that blocks people too, because we were not in the discipline of learning the rules of a language. And I think, yeah, like I watch my kids are at primary or elementary school and almost middle school, and they really they learn apostrophes and stuff like that, but it's not really a structure of a language.
Speaker 3: You're sort of English seems to be a little bit more free form. Would that be right? It's not, But I just think that more than the language, you need to learn the vocabulary of the grammar. So, for instance, what I noticed when I start teaching was every time I was speaking about verbs, adjective adverbs, people were like, oh, I don't know what you're speaking about, you know. But then I discovered that if you learn those words before starting to learn a language, or when you start to learn a language, then will make the process easier. So if I explain you, for instance, it's a verb, is a doing world okay, it's something you do. Okay, So it can be iron, it can be brush your hair, or can be speaking, then you know this is a verb. In English, is any word that can be anticipated by the word too, okay, So to do something to it, to play In Italian we don't have the tool, but we have the end of the part of the world that is a So every time you hear manjari beri parlai kantari, you know that those words are verbs. Okay. So once once you want to learn a language, I really suggest that there is a really nice book It's called something like English grammars to learn Italian. So will really briefly explain you all the English rules and all these names. And this is if you want to do it by yourself. Is a book. It's probably two under pages or maybe a little less. But that's something you can do otherwise when you start to approach, whether tutor or you have a course, or you can ask someone, or you want to watch video, YouTube, whatever. But I suggest before starting to learn the language, just go through those names. Okay. So when then you will have the explanation and you speak, you hear the world objective. You know that an adjective is like words like beautiful, bad, nice, or ugly? Okay, does that objective? So because they describe better? Okay? So yeah, it's definitely something I will suggest everyone to start to learn a language, just to do even if you think you know, like just do it anyway, not because they will make your process in the future much easier. Interesting.
Speaker 1: I know your children haven't yet started at school yet, but it'd be interesting to circle back with you in a few years time to see how you think the teaching of language is really. I think it's actually very different in English speaking countries to any other country. Actually so, and I hope that it doesn't make it harder, but I suspect it might be some sort of impediment because we're not taught those words very clearly. I mean, I think when I was talking to my children the other day, they do know some of these, but I think I'm going to test them. I'm going to do a test when they get home. What's a better you know what we go doing with?
Speaker 3: Okay, oh mom, stop it an now, it's scary. It's scary because I really hope, Like I always say, in Australia, there is this year until the year twelve or the year twelve exam in Italian and lots of parents push kids to do that, and I feel like, unless they really want, I always say to parents, stop, please, don't do it, because sometimes end up that the students will hate the language for how the program is. Don't get me wrong. There are beautiful teachers out there, but a lots of teacher, especially the teacher from primary school. And I know by experience because I taught them like they are because there is not much probably interest or I don't know how it works really, but I taught English or Australian teacher to teach Italian. So they came to me and say, oh, the director of the schoo wants me to teach Italian because I have an Italian surname. Can you please give me a few ideas? And this is what they do. So it doesn't happen all the time. Okay, I'm not saying that, but it's scary how unfortunately the language school is. It's because the English is very important and all the other language are not. So I feel like they will never do probably something like this with Matt to a math teacher or like a chemistry or whatever. So it's a bit sad, and I really I know there are lots of teachers here in Australia, I don't know everywhere in the world, but that are like fighting against this way of taking the language at school. So I really hope I will change. But if it doesn't, I know there will be either way to learn the language which are not at school.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, Olivia, who we both know and who is on the podcast a lot. I mean, this is just a great example of someone who was to take to learn Italian and she just did it. She I think she learned some in primary school, so did I and basically we just played tombala which is bingo, and we learned was like gatto which is cat and gane. You still remember, yeah, I still remember all that. But Olivia, you know, she was just so determined, and she took herself off to Italy and stayed in a family and went to a school. And I think it wasn't until she started living in the family that she realized she didn't really know very much at all. But now it's so wonderful. She's completely fluent, and you know, maybe she doesn't have some technical knowledge to you know, if something gets very technical or legal or something like that, but I mean, for all intents and purposes, she's fluent. And I just think it's fantastic. And it just goes to show that if you put your mind to it and you tried lots of different approaches, that eventually it will pay off.
Speaker 3: And this is a beautiful price you receive at the end. And it's funny because you mentioned Olivia and I if you think that if she never put herself in this situation, probably she was not going to get married with an Italian, you know, like it's crazy how another language can change completely your life. This was my story. I got married with the sailing guy, so yeah, I When I was in school, the teacher told my mom was probably what you compare here to year eight, like it's our tertza media. So terta media is before secondary school, so it's sort of like you're in the middle. And told my mom sent her to a professional school like hair stylist or something. That is because she is not good to learn things. She's not good to study English is so bad, she will never do anything in her life. This is what she said. And I was there. I'll never forget that. Oh and she was probably just a really old style teacher. And I was a very active girl. I wanted to chat with everyone, so I was always like chatting with my friends. And yes, it's true. I didn't really like to study too much. I didn't like to study anything until I was like the last two years of secondary school, and then my life changed completely. So I don't know what happened. Probably the friends that I had they were more studying more or I was just growing up and I probably had less energy like to spend in running around and doing other stuff. But yes, this thought of me not being able to learn another language follow me until I came to Australia in twenty thirteen. Okay, because it's true, I came with this really big wish to learn the language and then go back after a year. So far I now know to speak English as you can hear Italian, of course, but then Spanish because so then I went t one year in Spain and I learned Spanish and Portuguese. I can understand French because again it's very similar, but also because I studied back at school, so I can understand I can't speak. So don't tell anyone that you cannot learn a language, or it's just the way that has been taught to you that was not good for you, Okay, So find your way and then you'll do it. No, and doesn't matter what age. I was twenty six when I start speaking the language. Our youngest student, because I don't. I mean, we have a few kids, but I don't particularly teach them. There is a teacher that is just for kids, but in general, so let's say from ten. But my oldest student is ninety two, okay, and she just started a few years ago, and she said to me, I always had this desire. My husband died. I have lots of time and I want to use it. So she is doing that now, So doesn't matter what age. And don't let anyone tell and not even you, naha, I don't tell yourself. I can't do it because everyone can.
Speaker 1: Oh, Monica, there is such wise words.
Speaker 3: I just think that it's so true.
Speaker 1: Mindset and listening to your gut maybe not your head sometimes is probably the best way to approach it. And definitely all goodness. I hope you see that teacher one day, and I mean, I'm sure it was said out of fairly good intentions, but there's no point to limit people or limit yourself because like I love this lady ninety two years old, that's incredible, amazing. I really think this chat will help our listeners build confidence. And if you can't get confidence from knowing that a ninety two year old has started their learning Italian journey, then I don't know what's going to help you. But thank you for sharing all those tips and advice and insight into learning Italian. If our listeners would like to stay in touch with you and maybe get someone to one tuition with your team, how can they do that?
Speaker 3: They can go on my website, which is Sumisura Italy dot com. Maybe you'll write on the notes and book a meet and greet with me. Once you book a meet and greet, I will be there, so together we will build a plan. I want to know everything about you, and then we make a plan and then you start studying. That's one way. If you just want to keep in touch and just wrighten me or ask me question, probably the easiest way is email, of course, which is on my website, or follow me on my social media page on Instagram. Again Italian assume as Italy will put that note as well, But yeah, please get in touch for any question and even if you just need a little motivation to start, that sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: I think I'm motivated now by this ninety two year old lady. What an inspiration anyway, amazing, amazing, Monica, Gratia Mili, thank you so much for joining us on Untold Italy.
Speaker 3: Gratzia, there was very nice to be here now.
Speaker 1: I think, as Monica says, there are now so many ways to learn a language or anything really that you need to find the methods that work best for you, get started and practice regularly. Like I said, I'm definitely someone who needs some sort of accountability built into anything that I do, as I really don't like feeling that I've let other people down. Whatever works for you, though, but I think we can all agree that it is very difficult to make progress without practice. If you're interested in getting a direct Italian language coaching tailored to your needs, or staying in touch with her, you can find all Monica's details on our website show notes at Untold Italy dot com. Forward slash two one eight for episode two hundred and eighteen Grazier. Thanks to all our wonderful listeners for your ongoing support of Untold Italy. I hope you enjoyed today's show. If you did, then it would be incredible if you gave us a rating or review in your favorite podcast app. That way, we can reach more Italy travel lovers just like you. If you listen on Spotify, you can also leave comments on each episode, and I really love reading all of those. Unfortunately, Spotify haven't worked out a way for podcasters to reply to questions on that function just yet, but we are pushing for it chow for now. The Untold Italy podcast is an independent production podcast editing, audio production and website development by Mark Hatter, Production assistance and content writing by the Are they kg Clark, Yes, there are two of us. For more information about Untold Italy, please visit untold Italy dot com