Speaker 1: It's a nice size. I'm going Austin's News radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking stock market, we're talking tariffs. Okay, the latest info is that another shaky day on Wall Street. The market on a couple of rumors jumped up and then just as quickly plummeted back down. And at the end of the day the stock market was down, certainly, the Dow Jones was down. And we're talking to a variety of people about what they think is likely to happen, and no one knows for sure, but I can tell you that the Dow futures tomorrow actually look pretty good. They the market today was down nine twenty seven points. That wasn't good, but it's talking about grabbing some of that back tomorrow. And again we'll have to see what happened. So the whole idea here is for you to tell me what you think is going on, and we don't need predictions, but just love to know how confident are you. Let me go to Eileen in Waltham. I lean, you were next on Nightside first this hour, Go right.
Speaker 3: Ahead, Eileen, good evening, Dan, How are you excellent?
Speaker 2: What's your thought on all of this? Are you worried?
Speaker 3: You you co opted one of my big points.
Speaker 4: It was like I do.
Speaker 5: It was, don't we.
Speaker 3: Remember no toilet paper?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Remember that.
Speaker 3: But I have two articles i'd like to refer to if you don't mind, okay.
Speaker 6: One is from the Economic Policy Institute, January through two fourteen, after twenty years after, and let me just quote a little bit from that because it's incredibly interesting and I think important.
Speaker 7: After was the by what Dafter's birth was bipolisant tonceived by Ronald Reagan, negotiated by George and pushed through by Billy Well.
Speaker 3: It doesn't say Bill Clinton.
Speaker 6: An alliance with Congression, conngressional Republicans and corporate lobbies, no question.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Were You are absolutely correct, And let me just say no, no, no, let me let me just if I can make a quick comment and then I'll let you go. I'm not gonna let you go. I'll let you finish. You're right. The point was that if that never would have been able to have been signed by Reagan or Bush, because the Democrats would have stood in opposition against it, because it was a Democratic president who was going to sign it, it got through. That's the irony, and I think that is where the Union said to themselves, Wait a second, we're being taken for granted, go right ahead, and.
Speaker 8: There's a claiming and is collaborate as promised that the deal would bring good painting American jobs, a rising trade surplus with Mexico, and a dramatic reduction and illegal immigration.
Speaker 3: Hu, does that need any commons?
Speaker 2: No, man, you hit a grand slam there, none of none of those predictions. None of those predictions are true. Are you by the way, in a headset or a speakerphone, you sound off mic?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a little bit on my I'm on my cell phone. Do you want me to get off the speaker?
Speaker 2: Yeah, get off the speaker, Rob, I'm sure told you. It's just that we want to hear what you say. So just talk right into your cell phone and we'll.
Speaker 9: Be about here.
Speaker 2: We go much better.
Speaker 3: That was interesting to me, And the reason I looked this up is because I had remembered Clinton claiming that it would reduce illegal immigration.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, they all make different claims, but you know, obviously, then it goes.
Speaker 3: On to talk about the following things as a transpecific and then a couple of other things that followed along with the same claims. All of which proved to be, let's say, not the best things for America.
Speaker 2: Well, also, look at what I mean, look at what our federal debt is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, go ahead, I'm sorry, no, but I'm saying the federal debt now is thirty seven trillion dollars.
Speaker 2: Do you know what it was when Bill Clinton left office? Just to put it in perspective for you, it was five trillion dollars. Do you know what it was when George Bush left office eight years later? It was ten trillion dollars? And when Barack Obama left office eight years after that, it was eighteen trillion dollars. And when Donald Trump left it was twenty two trillion dollars. And Joe Biden has has got it kicked up out of about thirty six trillion dollars.
Speaker 3: Sure, but it then goes on to talk about the World Trade Organization and the trad specific partnerships, all promoted by different presidents, and we lost probably all probably this said two twenty seven million. That was in two fourteen. It's probably twice that now.
Speaker 2: That the Transpacific Partnership was signed by Barack Obama. Yeah, in February of twenty sixteen, Okay, it was not ratified because of significant political opposition, but there's that effort, and it was finally withdrawn, thank god, in twenty seventeen when Trump was president.
Speaker 3: Right, and then it goes on to say to talk about how it depressed wages in the United States, et cetera, didn't help Mexico except the only people that better, and then goes on to say how it basically benefits the rich, the globalists.
Speaker 2: And now my.
Speaker 3: Question is where is Bernie And all of this.
Speaker 2: Has been pretty quiet.
Speaker 3: I would say, yeahn't it. I mean, he's supposed to be protecting everybody. I was from the capitalist and he and I'm a capitalist. Don't get me wrong. I have my own business. I'm a capitalist. But the other article I would like to refer you to when anybody can, it doesn't seem like it's related, but it could be very much. So it's called from coup, from cou to chaos by responsible Statesmanship, and it talks about the downfall of Haiti. And if anybody remembers that, clearly Clinton brought back in Aristide to be president. Then Aristide wanted to raise the minimum wage in Haiti, and all of a sudden there was an orchestrated coup against aristide, in other words, raising them even though even though Clinton brought them back and it was going to be you know, they didn't success that he was going to raige the minimum wage for twenty three cents an hour in Haiti.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, it's me.
Speaker 2: You're getting me a little off track here. You've given me a lot of great information, Eileen, which I appreciate, But Haiti is a kind of it's a sideshow and it's a different situation. There's tremendous corruption down in Haiti uh and lawlessness.
Speaker 3: The thing behind both of them is cheap labor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again it we'd have to spend an hour to talk about that to really understand it. But the other points you made we're all absolutely accurate and very much appreciated. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 9: Have a great evening you.
Speaker 2: Too, Aleen. Let me keep erolying. Go to dot in Medford Dot. How are you tonight? Hi tonight, Dan, I'm hanging in here. Doc.
Speaker 10: Well, anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I think Trump is doing a great job. I have complete faith in him.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 10: I do not have a pension. I live on my investments and they're very diversified. You have to be very diversified. And then you just sit back and practice a little mindfulness. Just practice mindfulness, you're not going to get upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you done anything? I assume that watching the market go down the last week has No.
Speaker 10: I don't do it. No, I haven't done a thing, haven't made one change. Okay, yep, I am. I have complete faith in how he's handling this.
Speaker 2: So you believe that it's all going to be recoverable.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I definitely do.
Speaker 11: I don't know how long. Let me ask, do you look at it?
Speaker 10: I mean, I'm ninety, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: No, I know. Let me ask you a question. But let me I wish. I wish I was as sharp as you would be when I'm eighty. You're you're a sharp as attack. How when do you think your investments will get back to where they were a week ago? How long do you think it's two months?
Speaker 10: Figuring I'm hoping within six months.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a realistic viewpoint. That's a very realize.
Speaker 10: Things go up and down. But as long as you're diversified, and I mean I handled my own money, I don't have any financial advisor. I do my own thing, my own tack.
Speaker 11: I do my own taxes.
Speaker 10: Do you trade your own stocks, well, I do it through Manca Stanley, Yeah, I call them up.
Speaker 2: Okay, gotcha?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Now do you have social Security too?
Speaker 12: I hope you know.
Speaker 10: I got My social was only fifteen hundred, and because I sold my condo, it's down to eight hundred. When you say property, you get punished because you get your Medicare is doubled and your social goes down. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: You make how much? Did you sell your condo.
Speaker 10: For five point fifty?
Speaker 2: Good for you? Good for you?
Speaker 10: Five fifty and I bought it for eighty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's done. You know that's a nice little cap game. That's good. That's good.
Speaker 5: That was good.
Speaker 10: But I mean you get you get punished on the other hand, because they lower your social security because they take a double amount for Medicare.
Speaker 2: Why would they?
Speaker 10: I don't understand how well, Hey, I couldn't believe it, but I got it all written out in black and white.
Speaker 4: No, I understand it.
Speaker 2: And again I'm not a tax lawyer, but I don't understand your social security should be a function of how much money you earned over your lifetime and how much money you know, if you had twenty years, fifteen years, the longer you work, I believe that they determine your Social Security on You've got to have a minimum of forty quarters, which is ten years. Yeah, and they basically, I believe, do an average of your top thirty five years. Now, I don't know if you work that long daughter or not.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, frankly, I worked for my husband. That was called unpaid labor. He had a business and I worked there, but I never got a check.
Speaker 2: Well, well, in that case, that's not eligible for Social Security. You might get your.
Speaker 10: Husband social through my husband.
Speaker 2: No, right, So you so what I'm saying is your Social Security is determined by his probably thirty five years right right, Okay, yeah, no, I understand. I understand. So, yeah, you're getting you're getting the survivor.
Speaker 10: Benefit, but I mean from fish.
Speaker 2: But I'll see why your survivor benefits should be reduced because you made a good investment.
Speaker 10: They were and I'm telling you, I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: I think you should call Liz Warren. I'm sure that you'd straighten out out for you.
Speaker 10: The last one I called the pocal hunt. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 12: Oh my god.
Speaker 10: She's been quiet the last few days, though, very quiet, very quiet.
Speaker 2: And always worries me when she's quiet.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, some of the despicable things these people are saying when they're protesting, they're despicable, how they're going to kill Trump and all this. I'll tell you you're gonna get firing squads ready for these.
Speaker 11: I'm curious.
Speaker 2: No, we don't need firing squads. Comb on.
Speaker 10: People make too many threats against your president. Yes, you do need strict punishment for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, firing squads for that. If someone if someone is stupid enough to make a threat, an actual threat. You know, it's one thing for someone to be out there with a sign that says, you know, Donald Trump, hands off. That's not a threat. But if they if there's a threat, that threat should be taken serly.
Speaker 10: What if for the third time they take another pot shot?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want them to take one shot never mind. No, no, okay, don I gotta let you run. Congratulations. You should be my real estate investor.
Speaker 10: I will take care.
Speaker 2: Thanks, good night, Thanks, good night, Okay, we'll keep rolling here. I got one line at six one seven, two, five four ten thirty. Write this other number down because this is a great line too, six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. The market? Are you panicked? Are you worried? Are you confident? And what have you done in the last few days since beginning oh last Thursday morning, when the market took quite a dip and uh and again the futures tomorrow look a little better. But I'd love to know any financial advice from the wisdom of my audience. Give us a call. We got Porky down in Florida coming up, and I got Tim and Wooburn and we'll be back right after this on Nightside. And remember that other number because the other one is all full right now to get through six one seven, six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Write it down. That's why I said it slowly. Back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, back we go, let's go too. I'm Porky down in Florida. Hey, Porky, finally got you to call the show. How are you?
Speaker 12: I'm pretty good? Pretty well? Can long time lung time, longtime listener and first time caller.
Speaker 2: Got to get a round and applause and Porky there from our digital studio audience. They're giving you in the ovation. Go ahead, Porky. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 12: Not much, Dan, I don't have any access to grind. I'm retired. Uh unless Trump figures a way to artificially produce gold, I'm golden for the rest of my life. And I got the market at at seven percent. I believe in that that rule. I told my broke when it dips down below seven, so so I sold.
Speaker 2: So so you're you're what like just a plain old money market or something.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 12: I had individual stocks.
Speaker 2: But so what do you have to know?
Speaker 12: I fought, Oh, I have investments in securities, and and I have I have investments in gold, but I don't hold it physically. I have it from a firm. Okay, okay, yeah, But but anyways, I have no access to grind. I I I lived. I live a comfortable life, and I'm out here on my retirement porch and my retirement rock and chair, and it's good.
Speaker 2: What did you do for living? What did you do for a living?
Speaker 12: I was a truck driver all my life, long haul I did both local and long haul. And I started out as the Teamsters. And we all know what. We all know what happened to the Teamsters, And.
Speaker 2: Well, when you started the Teamsters was was they were a reliable endorsement for the Democratic Party, right.
Speaker 12: Uh, the Teamsters endorsed Reagan. They switched over. I'm independent by the way, So they.
Speaker 2: Made they made the switch, and any food did they come back and support Clinton and Obama or no?
Speaker 12: Uh? I left the Teamsters, and you know then I then I went to work for a local government and I actually I actually got involved in union politics and I used to go down there to Danvers and for the convention.
Speaker 2: But okay, but you're living. You live in the life. Now you're the life of leisure, and you you worked hard.
Speaker 12: I was lucky. I was lucky. I was lucky in a lot of ways. My health and congratulations to your health, by the way. Uh, yeah, you would be a poster child for eugenics. And and God, God blessed that lady that called up that was not DoD Yeah, she was sharp as attack.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a lot of people who who are fortunate, and then there are you know, friends of mine who get get stricken. And I've had a couple of friends recently diagnosed, well, actually more than a couple diagnosed with some one of those bad medical diagnoses. And and some of them are a lot younger than me. There's there's a big There was a big story in the Globe yesterday about a woman that I worked with at Channel four for many years, Alice Cook, great sports reporter. She was an olympian on the US Olympic team and has been hit by ALS lou Gerrig's disease. And that's if you get a chance to just google it, one of the nicest people I've ever worked with in the business. And uh, she's actually gonna run the marathon, uh while she has ALS. I mean, it's it's inspiring. It's an absolute inspiration too, to realize that people can can deal with those those diagnoses and and and still get up in the morning. She's she's an incredible person. So and there are others who you don't know, and you know, every day you get up, you got a good day. You know you've got a good day in Florida down there, that's for sure. How do you how do you stand the warm weather in the summer. You're a warm weather guy.
Speaker 12: We we Yeah, I'm a warm other guy. You know, I saw it thirty below forty below where I grew up, and you.
Speaker 2: Helped you grow up in Antarctica.
Speaker 12: Let's put it this way. I I well, I grew up. I lived farther north than then seventy of the Canadians up there in Caribou.
Speaker 2: Oh real, where what what? What do you need care? Caribou Maine?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh okay, yeah. Well, you know, I don't know how many thirty and forty degree days you got. Maybe it gets a couple, but.
Speaker 12: I'm talking below zero. I'm talking below zero. You'd you'd you go out and try to find your car and you have to locate it by the aerial the antenna, stick it out of the snow. You had preheaters, you had preheaters on the propaying tanks because yeah, it wouldn't well it wouldn't. But yeah, I love I love Florida. It's hard to find potholes down here.
Speaker 9: Low.
Speaker 11: Yeah, how to get a pre cup of coffee?
Speaker 2: Well, in the east coast of the West.
Speaker 12: Coast, I'm on what they call a big bend area.
Speaker 2: Oh so you're you're a host.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, up underneath Alabama and all of that right the Gulf coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I've been a Florida resident for twenty years. I had my own truck for a while, so I move Move Incorporated down here.
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 12: Good and and uh jesay the money I saved in taxes like my I paid for my Harley Davidson.
Speaker 2: All right, now you're talking that's ad six months. Well you're full time down there, that you're you're you're a good tax planner, porky. I hope to hear from you again and enjoyed the conversation. I'm up on my eleven thirty newscast here, so I got to scoot for now, but we'll talk again, okay, I.
Speaker 12: Hope all right. Uh, I'm glad the Red Sox have found their bats again.
Speaker 2: They didn't have their bats with them tonight. They lost tonight to the Blue Jays. That hey it was five to two.
Speaker 12: So yeah I saw that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, they'll be fine. That's they're a pretty good team. They've got a good lineup. And but you don't score, you know, eighteen runs every night in Major League Baseball. Uh, there's a lot of great pictures out there, and they ran into a pretty good picture tonight for the for the Blue Jays, Porky, I.
Speaker 12: Got a run, Yeah, got run soon.
Speaker 2: Call me back, thanks man, talk to you soon. One line at six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty. That just filled. But there is one line open at six one, seven, nine three one ten thirty. I'm enjoying the conversation. I hope you are as well. That's what Nightside is all about. It's like we call it North America's back porch. There were nights when we get really passionate, but that tonight's not one of them. I just want to know what you're thinking. Back on Nightside right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w BEZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep rolling here. We're going back to the phone's going to go to Tim and Ruber and eight Tim, welcome back. How are you sure?
Speaker 13: I'm good?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm okay. I'd like to get the stock market back to where it was, that's for sure.
Speaker 13: Anyhow, the reason I called right, if I can do it, I want to the topic you were talking about before about cars. I've had a Toyota, and I'm buying Americans from now on.
Speaker 2: Really you didn't like the Toyota, Well, I.
Speaker 13: Went for a a gas tank, a radiator. Now it needs struts.
Speaker 2: And any how old is that Toyota?
Speaker 13: It's twenty five years. I've had it three years. Twenty five years old. It's a two thousand.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you bought it used obviously?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, and so did you? I mean, twenty five years is a long time for car. Did you buy that from a friend or you buy it from a dealer.
Speaker 13: I bought it some of my friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope you didn't charge you out?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 13: I six hundred bucks?
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, but then you probably put how much into it? Oh?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 13: Twelve hundreds?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 13: At ly? So I grew up, right, we had Chevy. I'm going back to Chevy's all right.
Speaker 2: Well, you know you gotta buy one new, We're gonna buy a used one.
Speaker 13: Used one. I don't have that kind of money, no, I one, I understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Hey, it takes these days thirty forty thousand dollars a lot of money to layout to that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, a lot of money. Yeah. Anyhow, you had a Vovo.
Speaker 2: I've had many Vovos. I started buying Vovos in the eighties because I thought it was the safest car. My wife was pregnant at the time and I wanted to have her in a very safe car. And Vovos were great cars. But I think that they now were owned by a Chinese company. I don't think they're as good as they used to be.
Speaker 13: Were they Swedish?
Speaker 2: Oh it was a Swedish company. Yeah, I believe that they're now owned by a Chinese company.
Speaker 13: Are you anything else? The cop of people who think.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that, but that was I was thinking. I was thinking about safety and oh I can't complained. But I don't know. I'm gonna look real carefully because I think that if there's an American made car that's as good or better, I think just.
Speaker 13: As they're coming back to I think they're coming back American cars.
Speaker 2: Let's hope so, because that'll be good for all of us. Hey, Tim, I look forward to seeing you on the twenty seventh. Okay, man, look forward to it.
Speaker 13: I have my Night's Side T shirt on night now.
Speaker 2: Okay, Thanks Bell, I appreciate it. Thanks, you got it all I see you then I'll talk to you between now and that. I'm sure. Thanks, have a good one, Thank you, good night, Tim. We're gonna go next too. I got Peg up in New Hampshire checking in. Hey Peg, welcome. How are you tonight?
Speaker 11: Hi Dan, I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 4: How are you do it?
Speaker 2: Great? Thanks for checking in. What's your thought in the stock market? I mean, it's been a tumultuous three days. What do you think?
Speaker 3: So for three days?
Speaker 11: And I, you know, I work night, so I only catch the last hour and a half or so of the show, and I miss a lot. And what I've been catching is like I'm sitting at home or you know, just ending my day and saying, oh, I want to call, but I don't know anything about the stock market, and I really don't. I know, some basic stuff like crashing is one of them. But then I was thinking, yeah, that I understand. Yeah, but seriously, I've in the past three days and tonight I just said, it doesn't matter how dumb I made sound, because I don't understand the whole stock market thing. And I'm invested. I mean, I had my four oh one K and whatnot, and I'm very close to retirement. So I'm a little scared. But you know what I've thought about though, in the past couple of days and listening to your show and the news from the radio, I'm better off than I was with the previous administration. Just putting that out there, Yeah, well, I am more confident today even with what's going on than I was for the past four years.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think I feel I think that one of the things I think is that Trump has a vision. Now, whether or not that vision is a good vision or a bad vision, he at least is addressing issues. And I think he's a lot sharper mentally than Joe Biden was. And if that makes you more comfortable, I certainly can understand that some of the stuff that's coming out now, and this kind of goes back to a call I had in the first hour, some of the stuff is kind of scary in terms of, you know, who was in charge, I mean, who was running the show? If all these books that are coming out to be believed, I.
Speaker 11: Don't know, Well, there was a lot of gossip about that, you know anyway, But seriously, I mean, President Trump, He's already done a number of things that he said he was going to do. I have no problem with what he and Ewan Musker doing as far as signing these corrupt charities or whatever you want to call them, and not who is our tax money? I mean, my god, we can afford the tariffs when they get all that money back or they start paying on that money. Let me port it that way.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think if you if you look at Okay, he said he was going to close the border, I think the border's substantially tightened up. Does that mean no one's coming across the border? No, I don't think so. I think the border's too big, but I think that it's down substantially. He has gotten some bad guys out of the country. I know there's some controversy over one or two that that may have been deported incorrectly, and I think that the simple thing there is to admit you made a mistake, that somehow something a mistake was mad and bring that person back. But now I think they believe that that person who was deported actually should have been deported. So let's let it. Let it be played out in court. There was an order by a federal appeals court to that guy back in the country by eleven fifty nine tonight, and John Roberts, the US Supreme Court Chief Justice, stayed the federal Appeals Court order. So, you know, let's let's see how it works out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think we're this amazing country and we truly are, and no matter what, we're going to bounce back. But I've got a lot of faith in this. This is a lot of change. And I don't know, I'm hearing some people just are I don't want to use the word ignorant, but I think that's the word. You know, they just don't want to listen to Hey, give it a try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, like anything else. I mean, just you know, just as when the Biden people were saying, hey, let's give this a try, and the Republicans were pretty resistant to that. I can understand that people didn't vote for Donald Trump are not happy because he's actually attempting to follow through and what he said. He imposed some tariffs back in a twenty seventeen, so he's kind of replicating that. You know, I think we're divided country, and I think half the country likes what he's doing, and half the country is scared to death and everybody is worried about their their their own stockholding.
Speaker 11: So that's and you know, and I understand that, but I think that we should not panic because I think that adds to yeah, the panics.
Speaker 2: As I say, what as I say, when it's time to panic, I'm going to let you know peg okay.
Speaker 11: But just to add to this conversation, I think that I would like to hire dot and my own financial things.
Speaker 2: Yes, I she could open up an office at this point, real estate investments, stock picker. She's great.
Speaker 11: Oh, that one's amazing. And one other thing though that I just thought about you and the previous gentleman. We're talking about buying cars. In different cars. My my paid for Saturn died four years ago, which was right in the middle of COVID or right at the end of COVID, but it was when the quote the supply chain issues went and I had two mechanics. My first mechanic and I got a second opinion. Both said your car will not pass inspection. I had no choice and I had to get a car within like three weeks, and I paid probably if I'm looking at the cars now a little bit, I paid like six seven eight thousand dollars more than I would have if it was today because of the supply chain issues. It's kind of the same thing with the tariff. And I did buy a foreign car too, because I heard good things about it. And I don't know anything about cars either, you know, so just something to think about. I mean, I paid a lot more money I had the car. I had to do it because I needed the car. If I could have waited a year, it would have been better.
Speaker 2: But timing is everything, Peg, timing.
Speaker 11: Is everything, and Paris so it text your money a big.
Speaker 2: Deal, all right? Thanks Peg. I got a screwed here because I'm up at my break, so I'm gonna let you go. But thanks so much for calling. I was great, the great tear your voice.
Speaker 11: Thanks good night, Dan, Thank you, good night.
Speaker 2: Big Back on Nightside this one at six one seven four ten thirty one at six one seven, nine thirty Back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on BZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We're gonna run the table here. If you're on the line, We're gonna get you, I promise. Jamie is in Worcester. Jamie next on Nightside. Thanks for checking in, Jamie. How are you tonight? Good?
Speaker 13: I'm doing good.
Speaker 2: Dan how are you couldn't be better? What's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Well, I don't. I call from a perspective of someone who doesn't have any stock or investments.
Speaker 2: Okay, So.
Speaker 9: Basically I watched Fox News. I read them where I worked. I see the the tariff thing on the front page of the New York Post every time, yep. But when I go about my everyday life, I haven't seen it affect me in any way. I mean, everything seems the way it spends for a while, fair enough.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And then however, but however, if the tariffs hold for some period of time, even though you're not losing money in the stock market, prices are going to go up.
Speaker 9: Right, And I've been looking for that and it hasn't happened yet. You go to the market, eggs are higher, course, But well.
Speaker 2: Eggs are actually down, believe it or not from where they were right.
Speaker 9: No, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I gas price, gas prices are down. If you when was the last time you filled up your tank?
Speaker 9: Oh? No, I know, I found I got my gas Gover two sixty nine down at the gas station. The other day. I took my father, who's eighty, to Walmart on his usual Walmut run today and they had an each tea pag of eggs for six forty nine.
Speaker 2: Well they even brought me a little cheerer than that. Actually, I think that eggs are come down even some more. But my my palgary, you know, Victory Gas and on Route nine, just on the other side of one twenty eight, they were always a really great price, and they were down to like I think, to seventy two yesterday. Yeah, so you know that. I mean that's you know, well below three dollars a gallon, and it's going in the right direction. And you know, half half of that that costs or a big punt portion of your your gas your your gasoline cost is for state gas tax. You got to remember that. So yeah, yeah, so yeah, I mean, but but it could eventually, I mean, if this held on for two or three months, yeah, you could, we could see some prices going up.
Speaker 9: Well, I go to the market, I keep waiting to see like the things, and like I work at a package store and everybody keeps asking me, like, is the Heinegen gonna go up? Is is the Jamison gonna go up? And like I said, and right now, we haven't made any price changes. I'm like, no, I said.
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I said, tell him, tell him that that Dan Ray says, stick to cores light.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's why I drank too.
Speaker 2: I don't we're discriminating beer drinkers, you and me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I like my co trust me. A lot of panic amongst the customers. They come in, they go, is this going up yet? Know what? And I'm like, like trying to hoard Jameson like it's gonna go out of stock or something, you know, like it was relaxed. It isn't going up. We haven't asked my boss say this tariffing gonna affect anything goes well?
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I haven't so far distributors haven't raised the prices on me.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 2: But let's let's hope they don't get it. Grace, OK, right, So what do you working in a pack? In a pack? He as we would say in Wooster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back you whisper.
Speaker 9: It's owned by a family of a what.
Speaker 2: Oh oh Jamie, Jamie, we lost you there, Amy, Jamie, do me a favorite callback and we'll get you in here. Let me grab Glenn and Brighton. Jamie call us back and we'll we'll get you. I promise. I want to know the answer to that. I want to give a plug to the to the package store you work on. Okay, call us back, Jamie Glenn and Brighton Glenn, next one Knights, I go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and defense of doubt from Medford. Yes, the government take us was one hand. I mean give us was one hand and take us away with the other. Because I was punished in the way tiffanies. They accidentally gave me too much SSI, so for five years I couldn't get SSII. In fact, I was on the streets of Cleveland Circle begging in the winter of nineteen eighty seven. I've lost my SSI for five years because they messed up. So she said something about what they punished her on Social Security. I know her tastes different.
Speaker 2: I would think if the government makes a mistake on something like that, they need they need to eat it. Because if the government makes a mistake, Hey, Jamie, hold on Glenn. Jamie's listening. I want Jamie to call back here because I want to try to sneak him in. Yeah, I know, somehow he cut himself off. No, that's that was unfeared the way you were treated there. Okay, simple as that, right, that's an un that's a you know, if they make a mistake. Now, if all of a sudden this then instead of you getting one thousand dollars a month, they're sending you a check for you know, fifty five thousand dollars a month. I think at that point you might want.
Speaker 4: To check it.
Speaker 2: That's was your Yeah, but we're gonna yeah, well, Dots picked up some fans tonight. Let me tell you here on nightside.
Speaker 4: I hope she's here on the twenty seventh. That's not why I called.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't well, well, we'll see you on the twenty seventh.
Speaker 4: Okay, Oh yeah, that's a complet complete.
Speaker 2: But yeah, by the way, if anybody's interests, we're doing a nightside brunch on Sunday, April twenty seventh at a restaurant in Westwood. The Winnaker Orchestra, the Winnaker Band will be there, Bill and Winnaker and some of the other members of the band. And it's at the restaurant, but you got to call and make a reservation and make it for for Dan Ray's group at the Niroli restaurant. Call me at the station if you want. You can get a I'll call you back. We want to get as many folks there as possible. We're gonna have quite a crowd, that's for sure. Glenn, let me run. I want to get Jamie back.
Speaker 4: No, but you never got me. I never got a chance to. I was gonna say I never cared about Wall Street because it started with du Quinton. That ask goes the president, he goes Wall Street. And I mean, if that's true, Biden was the best president we had. The Wall Street start market was good under Bud. I'm saying, I don't think you can connect one with the other.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, fair enough, fair enough? All right, Glenn, appreciate it. We'll talk soon, Okay, see in the twenty seven. Thanks Jamie, thank you for calling back. Jamie. What's the I want to make you the most famous liquor store in Worcester. Where can nights siders go and get get get whatever they need at your store? What's the name of it?
Speaker 9: Greendale Package Store? What's the Massachusetts perfect?
Speaker 2: Okay? Is there a section normally it's like in this section of that section. I want to tell.
Speaker 9: People McGovern's Greendale Package Store Perfect?
Speaker 2: All right? And asked for James.
Speaker 3: I called back.
Speaker 9: I want to give you a call, get your calls in. But I called back and they do you want to give me that plug?
Speaker 2: So no, I appreciate it. That that was I think a mistake on my end. Okay, that is not your fault. It was my fault.
Speaker 4: I thought you.
Speaker 2: Uh no, no, no, no. What happened was I had I had, I had my hand on my computer and I inadvertently hit it. It was my fault, not not Ribs. It was mine. Thanks Jamie. We'll talk soon, okay, ye, thanks, good night, Okay, real real quickly. I got less than two minutes. Tina, you've called later, Gonna get you and go ahead.
Speaker 11: Tina, I know, okay.
Speaker 5: I don't like the Travis. I don't think they're going to work. Remembering all the manufacturers started to leave this country and they moved overseas because of cheap labor. It it's gonna take a long time to get manufacturing back here. And what do you think American workers who are gonna work in that factory. Are they going to be trained, Are they gonna be skilled? And they're not gonna work for a pittance. They're gonna want a good wage.
Speaker 2: Of course they are. And that's the whole idea of it. Let's bring them back and get people back to work at good wages.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's gonna happen because it's gonna be too expensive, it's gonna take too long, and everybody is gonna lose in the stock market.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just throw up our hands and quit. No, no, no no. Let's see what happens. Okay, and if you're right, I want you to call me back. And if you're wrong, we'll all win. Everybody will win. Let's see what happens. I got a scoot, okay, thanks Tino. How much time I get left?
Speaker 4: Rob?
Speaker 2: One minute? Okay, we're down to one minute, which means I'm gonna give Gideon literally twenty seconds. Go ahead, Gideon. Well there goes Gideon. So we lost Gideon, which is no problem at all. I don't know why people call late and then when you give them twenty seconds. I guess they think that somehow we can make the hour longer. Anyway. I will thank Marita, I will think Rob. I will thank all of you who called even Gideon, uh, but most importantly those who called them one and actually added the conversation back tomorrow night, everybody we're gonna talk tomorrow night about twenty three and me and why people are concerned about that going bankrupt, amongst other things. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's why Pal Charlie Ray is, who passed in February fifteen years ago. That's where your pets are who past. They loved you and you love them, and I do believe you'll see them again. Hope'es he get tomorrow night on Night's side. Be here tomorrow night. I'll be here tomorrow to noon in the four thirty and I'll be on Facebook Night'side with Dan Ray in about two minutes. We'll see that everyone have a good Tuesday.