Speaker 1: Hey, Okay, so after last week's two parter on fear, I hope everyone's just feeling calm and strong and collected and most importantly, most importantly ready to talk about trees. Are you ready? Okay, here's the probably scenario. This is what I'm thinking is happening. You either fucking love trees and that's why you're here, or you're like, good lord, podcast dad, what is this long ass episode about trees? Even get a cover? I'm gonna dive in, but only if it's full of infectious enthusiasm. And boy, howdy, you doubters, you don't know the half of it. This episode will make you so pumped about trees. You're gonna be bummed about having skin and blood hearing me so jealous of bark and sap, and you'll have new scrabble words and you'll start questioning if you should just string a hammock up in the backyard and live outside like a big ape squirrel. But first, let's get some business out of the way. I'll speak fast, Okay, it's important business, like telling you you can be an olagite who proselytizes with an ology's shirt or pin or totes if you wear totes at ologiesmirch dot com. Thank you all for buying and wearing merch. Patreon dot com. Slash Ologies is a portal through which you can also ensure that this podcast exists. Real talk. I have like ten other jobs. This one takes the most time and pays me definitely the least, but I love it the most. And patrons help cover costs of hiring an editor to make sure I can put them out every week. And I'm still molling over whether to have advertising. I'll be honest with you because I know sometimes you don't want to hear ads, and I want you, guys to be happy you just want to hear about trees. Maybe, so I've turned down ads and I just raise income through Patreon. And if you think that's dumb, feel free to tweet me about it, because maybe I'm doing business wrong. I probably am. I'm going to read those tweets if you give me advice on that, just like I read your reviews. Ooh, what a segue. So rating and reviewing and making sure you're subscribed on iTunes. You can check right now. Make sure you're subscribed keeps ologies just killing it in the science charts we're still rubbing elbows at the top twenty five or thirty science podcasts ever, which is thrilling. And also your reviews kind of brighten my My cloudiest day is for real this week. This one just delighted me. Jude Kenny wrapped up a review by saying, boy, howdie, you may find yourself pulling off the road during your commute on a Tuesday to sit in the still of your car, staring out the window while you ponder your life choices. Five stars. Thank you for that. Now onto dendrology. Okay, the trees. You're ready for trees? Okay, So dendro comes from ye old Greek meaning tree. And if you're like that, why does that remind me of brain stuff? Well, that's because the dendrite is a part of a nerve cell that looks a lot like a tree. So dendra, there you go. Trees. So you've got trees in the brain. You're gonna have trees on the brain after this, I'll tell you that much. You're gonna be pining for more wrist facts. Oka, So the term dendrologist is a little funky. So technically is anyone who studies trees, which this human being I interviewed has done. I have never met anyone with such a raw zeal or deep knowledge for and of trees. You will love him. He's been studying tree biology and dendrology since two thousand and seven and he's currently a tree inspector for the city of Portland, Oregon, and he gives talks all over the world about trees. He teaches sold out classes. I was like, so, yeah, so you're a dendrologist, right, and he demurred at the title of dendrologist. I'm like, dude, this is like when I was goth. I didn't realize I was a goth until I look back at pictures and I was like, oh, I was definitely a goth. You study trees, you're a damn dendrologist, accepted, but he was like, we'll get to that. So I was headed to see for a day to shoot this show called Innovation Nation, that's one of my other jobs, and I thought, I bet there's got to be tree people up here. There's so many trees. So I did a little googling and I saw there was a sold out tree workshop the day I was there, led by this Portland based dude. And then I began very gingerly stalking him online to try to get in touch. The only social media I could find was a Facebook account, and after following like a few leads, I emailed his bosses and then Presto. The next day, I creepily invited him to hang out in my hotel room. I figured his bosses knew where he was, and I hoped he would not abuse his access to chainsaws. He did not.
Speaker 2: He was great.
Speaker 1: So we talked for literally two hours, which was very difficult to cut down. No tree pun intended about so many burning curiosities. Do trees feel pain? How do they talk to each other? What's up with crown shyness? Does he have a favorite tree? Will trees make you write your novel any faster? Does he get sad when he looks at wooden objects? What is tree porn? And are there any super sad stories about trees? Spoiler yes and also great ones also yes. So I'm gonna go out on the lamb and say this is a great episode, so stick around for some really wonderful tree facts. Well, yeah, lumber up. I swear to God, that's gonna be the last tree punt. Please trust me for a person who is somewhat in denial about being a dendrologist.
Speaker 3: Casey Clapp, I've never done anything like this. Yay, that's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: So this is your mic. You were you weren't the easiest person to to gently stalk online.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fantastic. So I didn't know I could be found, Yeah, anyone whatever.
Speaker 1: Look, I was like, I must talk trees with him.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is so flattering. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I have a question, Yes, go ahead. Arborist versus dendrologists. Yes, what's the difference.
Speaker 2: So an arborist specifically focuses on trees in the urban area, but most of the time and arbus is one who manages a tree in the urban area. So if they're going to cut a tree, remove a tree, plant trees, they're the ones usually have something to do with it. But then a dendrologist is usually someone that's more on the research side of the world, and they're like, Okay, we're going to study this plant it's characteristics, or this tree more specifically, it's characteristics and where it fits in with the rest of all the other trees in the world. Sodrologists basically work on the back end of things, classifying all the different trees into certain organizational standards.
Speaker 1: So can you call if you study and you love trees, can you call yourself a dendrologist?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say, I would say so.
Speaker 1: So Casey got his Bachelors of Science in forest management with a focused on urban forestry, and then he went got a master's focusing on arbor culture. So it seems that an arborist deals with trees, knows a lot about trees, and a dendrologist studies identifying trees specifically. So Casey studied dendrology but is now an arborist. But you, guys, anyone who knows this damn much about trees is adendrologist in my book, Okay, let's just agree there are bigger issues in the world. Okay. When you were going about your education, yes, so Casey's deciding to study trees, Yeah, beautiful time. Where do you start?
Speaker 2: Well, for me, it started with a just a tenacity about nature. I like to go outside and I like to do things. I like to plain in the mud and climb trees. And then I did. I built a pond in my backyard, and I was like, I love this I'm gonna do it forever, and then ended up being that I hated landscape architecture, like I can't do this. This is so infunctional stuff. It's all I say, frilly that I don't think they gives them enough credit. They do very good work, but I was very much a person who needed to manage something and it needed to be active, and it needed to have an amount of utility in the landscape. So I was like, not even really interested. So but I was killing it at all the tree courses I was taking, I was just like, this is immensely fascinating. I want to learn more about trees for no other reason than learning it. So then I transferred over to Oregon State University and I did forestry, which was a way huge over correction because they don't do trees for anything but making money. For the most part, We're just gonna grow these trees, to cut them down, to make pulp, make paper, make money, do whatever they're gonna do.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that's what forestry was. I thought forestry like tree hugging, like every tree had a name.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, oh, I wish this is for the people who grew up on Ferngali where we're just like, I love this so much. It is an industry like any other nowadays where you go out to mostly clearcuts for all intents and purposes, which is they get a bad name, but they're not actually that bad. In the grand scheme, all they would do is go out and say, Okay, we have these many are this many trees, they're growing this fast. We want to cut them down in fifty years and make a profit. How can we do that? So it's a really important thing, and you know, we have tables and chairs and pencils and all these things that we use every single day. So it's a really important renewable resource. But unfortunately they are looking at it more or less for dollar signs, which is fun.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, is someone who clearly loves trees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got a lot of tattoos trees?
Speaker 1: Do you really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I got photosynthesis tattooed across my chest.
Speaker 1: You're a walking power point. Yeah, sometimes especially try you have photos sent this is on your chest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what else do you have? I got a sugar maple on this arm, and then I have roots coming down off of this arm, and I'm wearing a long sleeve shirts so obviously you can't see it.
Speaker 1: And your long sleeve shirt, by the way, has trees on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it has a don redwood on the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're covered in trees externally and and also from a dermatological.
Speaker 2: Perspective, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: Casey also has a pair of white bark pine cones tattooed on the inside of his right bicep. They're beautiful the tattoo. I'm not making a comment about his bicep. Good job either way, that's your business. He has an acorn on his other bicep, and he also has a Dodo bird to represent the delicate balance between endangered plants and animals. So he's like a walking botanical garden pamphlet. Obviously a very huge advocate for more trees in cities. And for me, I'm like an LA resident. So this part of the conversation made my heart choke. With Longing, I was like, em, do you have trees in your city? You lucky son of a bitch.
Speaker 2: So every tree in the urban area is providing some amount of benefit to the city. Many times people have no idea, and it's a very subconscious sort of thing, but there are reasons why certain streets covered with trees or neighborhoods are more idyllic, and other people live in places that have no trees on their streets and it's a much hotter place, it's more rigid, more sort of industrial, and everyone's like, aah, that's a little more or more of an uncomfortable space. Yeah. So basically what I do now is say, here are all the characteristics of trees. Here's how they flow, here's how they function, and here's how you can best use them on your side or in a city to accomplish all these great things that they do.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite tree?
Speaker 2: I do, yeah, but it changes pretty constantly what it now. Right now, it would be the coast redwood, which is so stereotypical.
Speaker 1: I know, why is that stereotypical? It's a majestic tree.
Speaker 2: I completely concur But people have generally said, like they come up with the first thing that comes to them. So a lot of times when I ask people, they're like, oh, willows. I'm like cool. Eighty percent people say willows or something like that. It's really strange no one thinks about until you ask them the question.
Speaker 1: Do you know what your favorite tree is? I was like, do I have a favorite? Yes, I do. It's an oak. I have a favorite tree. I guess we all do, but Coastal Redwood's Casey's favorite. They grow from southern Oregon, just down the central coast of California all the way down to about Santa Cruz, and they grow in this fog belt right near the shore because that fog helps get moisture to the top of these like three hundred and fifty foot giant trees. And if you're needing to imagine a silhouette of one, you're like, what do they look like? You know? The logo for Stanford, Okay, Well, that there is the image of al Pelo alto, one particularly famous local coastal redwood tree. It's also the unofficial mascot of Stanford. It's dubbed very creatively the Tree, and according to Wikipedia, the Tree, despite very heroically replacing a decidedly more shitty mascot, the tree has been called one of America's most bizarre and controversial college mascots. People hate it. It regularly appears at the top of the internet's worst mascot lists, which apparently exist. But I'm going to very publicly beg to differ because once you have seen a jiff of a dancing layered green tent with a very happy human being inside, your heart's gonna be one. I love it anyway. Coastal redwoods Casey's favorite tree.
Speaker 2: So naturally I get it all the time. So we had a lot of time to think. Okay, So specifically, they're just they're just the bomber trees. They are rod resistant, so almost no funguses affect them. They are insect resistant, so insects don't get into them, they don't eat the foliage, they don't get into the bark. Their bark is like literally feet thick, and it's fire resistant, so nothing can penetrate it. Fire doesn't burn it. Sometimes fire will actually hollow out the inside of the tree be lave the bark alone. But then the trees actually survive because they can sprout from any place that still has functionality down to the roots. So not only are they also the tallest trees in the world, some of the longest lived, some of the biggest in terms of volume, So they've accomplished, you, like, all these superlatives. Then on top of that, they basically can outlive anything. They don't have any more predators, and they can sprout. Most conifers can't do that. If you cut them down at the base, they're done. They're ended, really on it. For a redwood, you cut it down at the base and the roots just shoot up all these new sprouts and you're like, oh, the tree still lives. This is great.
Speaker 1: The roots are like, I don't care, I'm going I'm gonna go ahead exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So they're just there are the world's just most bomber trees. And if you haven't been there, you should go. They're just there's nothing like in the world.
Speaker 1: Quick anatomy lesson of trees. Okay, what are we dealing with? And also true or false? The root system is like kind of as big as the actual branches and cannon MIGHTI yocrely both okay, okay, so give me an anatomy, yeah.
Speaker 2: Sort of both. Okay, So real quick, there are four main organs of a tree. First off, what is a tree? A tree, by some definitions is literally like this one guy on a book I have, he describes it as a bush with a stick up the middle. Okay, that's literally It's just like, okay, this a pretty dumb down version.
Speaker 1: I tried to track down what this book might be, just to see if it had any other cool definitions, like that a flower is a leaf but on acid. But upon googling bush with a stick up the middle, literally all that turned up were photos of George W. Bush flipping people to bird and also this video during his presidency as he's doing a sound.
Speaker 2: Check, just the one finger victory salute.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, by today's standards, that seems downright charming and presidential as hell. I'm fine with it anyway. A tree a bush with a stick up the metal.
Speaker 2: So that's what we will define as a tree. Nine of the things that you know of as a tree are a tree. But then there's things like say Joshua tree that's technically a yuka. It doesn't put on annual rings the same way the redwood or an oak wood. Then there is banana trees. Banana trees are actually just cells. There's no woodiness to them. You can go over and knock them over if you really want, not necessarily it's probably not that easy, but they're just big, big cells. Big big things are basically just large herbs, just like a hosta or anything else. Bear. Yeah, So there's no actual woody parts in them. So what we still call them trees. So it's all like, where's the definition. So with so if we have a tree and we say, okay, it's gonna woody thing, let's just use a Let's use the organ white oak for example. Okay, so the organ white oak one usually has a single stem, comes out has this big, nice, beautiful globe like crown. So there's four main organs. You have the roots, you have the stem and the branches, then you have the flowering parts, and you have the leaves. Those are the four things that you would call organs in a tree, just for simplicity's sake. Four main organs. Okay, So the roots of a tree generally, at least in the Pacific Northwest and in our more temperate regions, this is gonna blow so many mines. They're only in the top two to three feet of soil. What that's it. That's it, even the big guys, even the big guys. Yeah. So if you ever are looking at a at a tree, you go out into the woods and you see a tree that's toppled over and it's picked up its entire root ball. If you measure from the top of that down to the very lowest route. You're not gonna get past four feet anywhere.
Speaker 1: Crazy. I always thought they went way down, Yeah, and go.
Speaker 2: Out, they go out. Why go down any further If you can remain stable and you got all your nutrients and all your water and oxygen you need at the top, there's no reason to go down. You got all the stuff you need. But basically you have imagine a wine glass.
Speaker 1: Or a like an umbrella that has a base.
Speaker 2: Exactly an umbrella sitting on a platter. It would be the best way to imagine it. And so that's why roots are so important. People like, oh, it's not that, you know, they go down. You're like, no, no, no, no, it doesn't. People think it's that mirror image, and it's definitely not.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because I feel like you do see that kind of like mirror image.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. I got a friend who got a tattoo of that exact same thing. And this is before I knew anything about it. But yeah, the roots go down, it almost mirrors the exact same thing going up. And it's very romantic versions like oh that's great, you know, you know, a reflection of blow and above but it's completely false.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I had no idea. Okay, So that's the anatomy of a trade.
Speaker 2: Really well, there's one extra step, so this is the next most important thing. Trees are compartmentalizers, so if you cut off one of their branches, they will just close it off and keep moving, just like a compartments in a ship. All you have to do close it off and then everything else can go on as normal. So they have these two main things. You have cambium layer, which is the vascular system of the tree, just below the bark, just outside the wood. That's where the trees grow and put on their new rings. That is where they send nutrients and water from the ground up. And that's called the xylum. That's a good word. If you play scrabble, it's X Y L E M. You can fit that in on a triple word score with that X. Man, you're killing it. You're really doing well. Oh man. One time I was also I was making a joke, so I know a lot of Latin terms for things, just because it's the scientific names of plants and their parts. And I was playing scrabble with a friend at a coffee shop in Portland and this other guy came up and he's like, hey, man, can I just play with you guys? And we're like, oh yeah, totally cool, and I may we made the joke. I was like, yeah, well we're only using Latin terms, and I swear to God without even blinking an eye of the guy was just like okay, and we're like, who did we get ourselves into? He massacred us really nice grable. Oh my gosh, he knew how plays gravel? Just a job.
Speaker 1: What was this deal?
Speaker 2: No idea, I don't even remember. I didn't ask. It was just we were stubb were shocked. Yeah, we had to leave that coffee shop and think to ourselves, We're never playing scrabble in public again, certainly never with anybody else.
Speaker 1: Jennings, it was just Jeopardy and gam know.
Speaker 2: A fake mustache? Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, so xylem okay. Buckle up because this parts can get a little technical, but you're gonna learn a few new scrabble words as promised, and or names for your gluten free organic children cambium, flowhem, photosynth, and xylum, of course, which is Greek for wood. And yes, that is where the word xylophone comes from so Scrabble, Jeopardy, your prep for anything. Okay, back to Xylon.
Speaker 2: Takes all the nutrients and water up to all the leaves. The leaves they are doing the photosynthesis, so they're creating the energy from the sun. They start pulling all of their nutrients. Are all their photosynthate is what some people call it, basically sugars, and they pull those down and that goes to the floam, which is the pipes that go down. That's basically it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Tree roots pull things up through the stem and then puts things out to the leaves. The leaves are the factory. They create all the food. Then they put that down and distribute it out to the rest of the tree.
Speaker 1: Ooh, are you ready for a hot tree scandal? Okay, sometimes a tree breaks up with its own limbs this drama.
Speaker 2: Many times if there is competition, it actually cuts it off itself. If they are growing a limb out directly to another tree, they get shaded out. They're like, eah, it's too much energy I'm putting in and not getting enough back, So they just cut it off. That branch dies. The rest of the tree keeps growing, and that was what people call self shedding or self pruning trees. It's not really that. The tree is just like, okay, I'm done, and then drops a branch. Some do, but that's a completely different story. This one is more where the trees no longer feed. It literally close the compartment off to that branch. That branch slowly dies, slowly dies, and then as soon as it falls off, maybe a crow lands on it, and it's so decayed, just topples to the ground. Then the tree then seals over that woumb Trees don't heal, They seal, They specifically close it up, and then can you to grow like nothing ever happened.
Speaker 1: It's like ghosting your own arm exactly. You're just like, shit, you just ice it out.
Speaker 2: You're like, yeah, listen, it's not me, it's it's definitely you.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I'm sorry, not pulling your weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll send you a text you're out. Yeah, But then the joke is it's never getting that text.
Speaker 1: I have a gossipy question.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about the redwoods that they have carved an area where you can drive a car through.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's mutilation. Okay that I thought, Yeah, it's not the worst. Obviously the trees are still living. So what's going through Oh, it's going through hell. Absolutely, it's well, it went through hell. It's basically like you get a tunnel carved through your stomach. Oh, but imagine that instead of like we as humans, our bodies are just one hundred percent. They're all connected to you things. So if you get your arm cut off, your body's like, well, okay, everything is messed up. Then you have to you know, if someone has to sew it up, blah blah blah, you don't heal and grow a new arm. Trees are compartmentalizers, so if you cut a hole in their stomach, they're just going to block off everything around that hole and keep moving like nothing ever happened because everything else is going on around the tree itself, and the wood is actually basically a inert It's just a physical structure holding the tree up.
Speaker 1: Okay, remember the cambium layer from earlier, So as we recorded, we were both drinking tea rated from my hotel Mini bar, and Casey had a visual metaphor for the cambium layer, which really helped. He said, if you're looking at a full coffee cup, the coffee inside would be the wood, the mug would be the cambium layer, and the outside of the mug would be the bark. Does that make sense. So the cambium layer is like super important in terms of keeping a tree alive.
Speaker 2: So all you have to do is keep that cambium layer alive. So if you put a tunnel through one of those redwoods, then it's like, oh, shoot, well now there's a big hole in it. The tree doesn't like it, but it'll get through it, you know, just like anything else. Just like if a fire came through and a fire burned a hole in one side and then burned out the other side as well, the tree will be fine. Well, assuming the tree lives, it'll be fine. It'll just continually seal over those wounds and protect itself.
Speaker 1: I went to go look up which tree this was, and I found out there's tons of gutted tunnel trees in California. We have made an Indus tree into this tree. Oh god, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry. The pun came out of nowhere. It was like a burp during a job interview. I'm sorry, okay, but yes, so we've made quite a few park attractions out of tunneling out the trunks of these behemoth trees and just trying to drive cars through them. We're monsters. We're monsters, and we love road trips. We're just doing our best. But in researching this, I also found out about the Hercules Tree, which an eccentric rancher dug out a twelve y nine foot room intwo and tried to live in it. God bless them, but the tree was just weeping sap onto his face at night too much. So they just were like, ah, they just made it into a gift shop. But they're a good handful of tunneled out trees down the California coast, and two big ones have fallen, most recently this one called the Pioneer Cabin Tree, which toppled and very dramatically shattered in early twenty seventeen after some severe weather. The Calaveras Big Tree Association remarked, quote, the storm was just too much for it. The storm was too much for it. The storm. You're gonna blame the storm. That's like knifing someone with a machete and then saying that it's probably probably a metal allergy killed them anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, this also sucks you can't drive through it anymore unless you have like a Mini Cooper, because they did it way back with the Mini Teas or the Model Te's and now we're driving like hummers and like woman make a whole bigger.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, it's so now, talk to me a little bit about how trees talk to each other, because I feel like there was some some research or some some thing came out recently about how trees can talk to each other through their roots, and everyone was.
Speaker 2: Like, wa trees looking at it, thinking the trees or watching them. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I mean it's also so cruel to think that that story made the newspapers, which are dead trees. We're not horrifying, they.
Speaker 2: Cut down a tream like this tree is not talking to you, but the ones that are still living on Oh it is.
Speaker 1: So how do the roots communicate? Do they share nutrients? Do they talk to each other? What's happening under the surface.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is so fascinating. So this, the book you're talking about, is called The Hidden Life of Trees. Okay, I think not to be confused with the Hidden Life of Plants, the pseudoscience book from many years ago, which is absolutely interesting to read, but very silly.
Speaker 1: All right. I look this up, and the weird one is actually called Secret Life of Plants. It's kind of like this Woo Woo nineteen seventy three volume about botanical sentience, the authors of which gave light detector tests to house plants after trying to communicate through esp it's out there. They also postulated that their little green friends might originate in a super material world of cosmic beings such as fairies, elves, gnomes, sylphs, and a host of other creatures. Okay, they made a movie about it, which is not to be confused with David Attenborough's Private Life of Plants documentary, in which he tickles the venus flytrap anyway, So not Secret Life of Plants. Not Private Life of Plants anyway. Casey's talking about the hidden life of trees, and one author, the German Peter horn Been I don't know, describes that trees feed each other other sugars through their roots when one is sick or dying, and they communicate to each other using chemical and electrical cues in response to stimulus, not unlike how humans use vocal cues to say, hey, fools, there are donuts in the breakroom, or how we type posts on secret Facebook message boards. Watch out this hipster dude sucks. Do not lay with him. Girls do that, by the way.
Speaker 2: So it's really comes down to when we communicate as people. I say something to you, there's no physical connection between us. I just say something and you hear and then you act on it. A tree, everything is a stimulus that comes from something. So all the roots, if it's the same species, their roots can graft together. What Yeah, it's kind of mind blowing, But what's going on underneath the soil, which the soil is probably the most important thing that you can ever consider about a tree. Most people look up, but there is an entire underground system of things that no one ever thinks about. So regardless, the way it works with the sort of the hidden life of plants is they have they graft themselves together. So if you have really really thin bark on those root hairs and those root hairs touch each other and then they can basically start passing their or the cambium layer sort of connects, so something comes out, takes the left and then goes into another root. Could be from the same tree, but if it's the same species, then actually connect together and you can get an entire forest of all these trees connected, which is fascinating. But it's not like one tree is connected to all the rest like a network. It's like it's kind of like the Internet, where you have one computer, then another computer, than another tree, then another tree than another tree that all may have or may not have. These root hair is connected. But then there's a sub layer on that which is mushrooms. Okay, by celium. This is the new thing that really like blew up, like Radio Lab did a whole thing on it, and everyone's like, ah, mushrooms. What trees? There are an insane amount of mushrooms that are We're actually people have more genetic things in common with mushrooms than we do with trees and other plants. So that's crazy. It's crazy to think about they're basically sentient things. That's not true.
Speaker 1: Strip that from the record, right, well they yes, we'll take it.
Speaker 2: So basically, what they do is these all these fungus have this mutualistic relationships called symbiosis. And what they do is a fungus has root hair or myceelium that's microscopic, much smaller than the root hairs of a tree. So if you are a tree growing in a place like let's say southern Oregon, then you have a much drier condition. Tree roots are a certain size, maybe like the size of your finger for this instance, and so you're like, oh, man, I can only reach into a certain size crack where this water is. And the water is held up within these smaller pores in the soil. So if the trees can't physically get their roots in to grab it, then it's basically not available. So this fungus ends up getting this mutualistic relationship. The tree gives the fungus sugars that it produces up in the canopy, so the fungus gets some food. And then the fungus, if our fingers are the size of root hairs, then our hair, our actual physical hair, is something on the size of the of the fungus. So the fungus can be like, oh, yeah, I can go in and grab that water. And so the fungus goes in and basically creates like a whole second level of roots for this tree. And the way you can tell if a tree needs water this is great. It's kind of like a straw where on the very tippy toe, you have evaporation. Evapo transpiration. Evapotransporration is just literally the process of water going from the ground through a plant or a tree out to the air. Okay, So what they do, or how the trees function, They grab the they grab some water, do some photosynthesis, or do whatever they do, and then some water escapes. So when that water is released into the atmosphere, just like you're drinking out of a straw, one molecule pulls on, the next, pulls on the next, pulls on the next, using capillary action all the way down the tubes of the tree to the soil into the roots, and then all of a sudden, that root is pulling up another little molecule of water and you can full cycle. So as soon as the trees have this pressure deficit where it's sucking more water into the air than it has in the ground, then the fungus will then be like, oh wow, there's a pressure deficit, and water just osmosis over to that area. So it's not that everything is communicating like the fun of the trees, like ro I need water, fungus give me water. It's more like there's all these you know, scientific processes or these you know, natural processes that are functioning in this very specific system that then one little molecule gets pulled up, pulls on the next molecule, pulls on the next molecule, so on and so forth until the fungus gives it a molecule, and then there you go.
Speaker 1: Side note. I learned of this from a biology teacher years ago, and it's always stuck with me that this chain of water keeps the plants healthy. So to prolong the life of cut flowers, if anyone ever gives them to you, trim the ends about an inch underwater to prevent getting an air bubble in the stem, and then the last longer. So there you go. Don't say I never surprise you with flower facts. And if it's been a while since anyone got you flowers, go get yourself some flowers for a few bucks at Trader Joe's or something. Just go pretend they're from your weird old pal ward over here. You deserve it, kiddo. Just cut them underwater, That's all I ask. So do you dream about trees?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but usually it's related to work in a negative way. Okay, I'm just like, oh, I'm true, I'm gonna have to have you cut down. Trees need a certain amount of space to grow because their roots are really what matters. They have to grow out to stabilize a tree, to get new nutrients and all that sort of thing. So as soon as you have a situation where a tree is in conflict with development, most of the time, development's gonna win. So you go over and I told people all the time, so you measure diameter. You take a tape, you measure around the tree, and it tells you the diameter of that tree. So you have to literally reach around the tree and then grab the diameter tape and pull it around. So you're literally hugging a tree every single time. And so when I was up here in Seattle, these huge developments, you go into a forest and you'll be like, this is a beautiful forest. I'm like, oh, this is gorgeous. You hug every single tree, every single tree, and then look up and say, okay, they're all healthy, they're good. You look back at the plans and there's a subdivision going in and you just put x's over every single tree.
Speaker 1: Oh the one that you hug, I know, all.
Speaker 2: Of the ones. Yeah, there's some big ones where you're just like you are older than every single person alive right now, oh my god, you know, and as a city work out now every chance I get, every chance when it's appropriate and allowed by code, I'm like, no, you may not cut down that tree. No, you have to do this to protect it. And then usually if you're working with good developers, which there are many, they're just like, okay, sweet, yeah, what should we do? How should we do this? And then we get it set and we save a tree and it's just so stellar because then when you get done, you have this building. Like I was talking about with neighborhoods earlier, if you have an old house, an old building, with these two huge trees in front of it, you get this sense of stateliness but also like permanence, where it's like that house exists, it has existed there, the trees they're there, they exist, and then it's like nothing is ephemeral, it's all that exists. So people, I'm like, hey, when you get done with your building, it's going to look like it was here for the last fifty years. And people are gonna walk out there see these beautiful limbs in front of their house in front of their their patio or not even patio, like your deck if you're in an apartment building or something and you can just chill out there and there's gonna be birds hanging around. It's going to be ten degrees cooler on your deck rather than the deck where they cut down and planted the little tiny trees. So you know, there's always rotations, things are always coming and going, but it's really nice if we can keep the big ones that are really like outstanding trees.
Speaker 1: You're a tree advocate.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes, I am every chance like trees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I do want to go back and ask about I realized I should have asked you this question next. I've been seeing a lot of information on the internet about crown shyness, canopy shyness where at the very top of a tree, the tops of the trees tend not to touch each other. Oh, so, if you haven't seen pictures of what I think is very coyly dubbed crown shyness, it's also known as canopy disengagement, which sounds like you're talking about divorced lovers as far as vibes, but it looks like if you looked up at a tree canopy and all of the trees stopped just short of touching. It looks like super wicked mosaic art, or maybe like a huge leafy puzzle, and your brain is like, whoa, what plants must have mines or maybe nothing is real and I'm on drugs. That's so pretty and crazy. I fact checked cases following explanation, and dudes on the money, it's almost as if he knows a shit ton about trees.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, they deal with that. Honestly, I've never really given it a second thought. The only thing that I can think of which happens in trees nowadays. And this may be completely conjecture, so we'll just put a little dot next to that. Okay, if you look up the whole canopy of the trees swaying and moving back and forth. If there are other trees next to it, they're swaying back and forth into each other. So a lot of times trees will hit each other and actually break off limbs, and basically, you know, it's competition at its highest, you know, or a highest where they're actually literally you know, putting in punches as towards each other.
Speaker 1: So it's less like a mystical tango and it's more just like a windy mosh pit.
Speaker 2: But other than that, I really can't think of a good reason aside from uh the like getting light, you know, you want to if they aren't touching, then they're not shading each other out. Yeah, so they can just stay right there. It's like, no one's asked me that before.
Speaker 1: I think it's something that just came out on the internet.
Speaker 2: Oh did it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Nice, I'm very bad on the internet. I'm the worst millennial in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're hard to find.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: That's great because you were outside not looking at his screen exactly. What about the Lorax? Did you read the Larx as a kid? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do actually have a truffle a tree planted or tattooed on my arm as well.
Speaker 1: All, yeah you do. Yeah, so Casey showed me the underside of his left arm where he has a little truffle a tree from the Lorax, which is this Doctor Seus's ecological epic kid's book about a dude who cuts down a bunch of fluffy, beautiful trees to make pajamas, and he destroys the environment, leaving a smoggy, apocalyptic wasteland. So in the book and on Casey's skin, the word unless appears etched into kind of a rocky pulpit. Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. It's pretty damn depressing. Ps. After the Lorax was released, a logging company got super pot and published a competing pro logging book called The True Acts, And people were like, logging company, can you just fucking not anyway? A good reminder not to burn the earth because of pajamas. Okay, let's talk about old as trees. Speaking of this dendro chronology. Oh my god, let's talk about aging trees and tree rings. Yep, how can you tell the age of a tree looking at rings? And what are some of the oldest trees and does it hurt the tree when you're boring into them to get a core sample?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, let's talk about tree rings. Ah, this is so great. So basically, dendro chronology is the strictly the study of tree rings. So tree rings every it's you know, pretty well known, at least in the temperate regions. Every tree grows for a certain a year, then it goes dormant. Then it grows for a certain a mat of year, then it goes dormant. So each time it grows, it puts on a new ring of wood on every single service, on the trunk, on all the branches, on the roots. That is just an annual count, you know. For us, we treat it like a count for the tree. It's actually the tree getting stronger every single year. So sometimes it'll put more wood on if it's a really good year. Sometimes it'll put less wood on if it's a shorter year, for a shorter growing season or harsher growing season.
Speaker 1: So the rings, if the rings vary in width, it usually means maybe there was better conditions, better water, and it grows more that year, and then maybe there's a drought and the rings get closer together.
Speaker 2: Precisely, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So in California, which is where the oldest trees grow, thank you very much, we got bristle cone pines and foxtail pines, and in the central Mountain area the oldest ones grow. They look like a live drift wood. They're craggy and dense and ancient, and they look like it's just been a slow motion struggle to get out of the rocky, dry earth around them. The oldest specimens have been found in the White Mountains in Ino National Forest, which is in eastern central California kind of borders on Nevada. I don't think there's a lot going on there other than a bunch of old trees.
Speaker 2: But if you have a tree that is, say two four hundred years old, then you have a climactic record for two four hundred years of what was going on. Like, oh, in year A D two, there was not very much wood. That was a bad year in the mountains of central California. So what they can do, or what they've done with dendro chronology is you can look back, specifically in these trees, the bristle cone pines. What they do is they basically say, okay, let's find a living tree. Let's find the oldest one. The oldest one, I believe is called Methusela. No one knows exactly where it's at. There's another super sad story about the oldest oldest tree. It was so said, what happens, Oh man, this is the worst story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right to me, I can handle it.
Speaker 2: So you gotta feel bad for the guy who did it. It is not his fault. He's a victim just as much as a tree god. People are going to go crazy if they hear me say that, but I'm gonna stick to my I'm gonna stick to my narrative here.
Speaker 1: So Casey's talking about this tree named Prometheus. And in nineteen sixty four, a geography grad student by the name of Donald Rusk Curry was poking into trees to find out more info about the Little Ice Age, and he was using this thin increment borer to take what should have been just like a harmless core sample about the diameter of a pencil. So dendrochronologists use them all the time.
Speaker 2: Not a biggie, He just had some of these bores. And these bores, the increment bores what you're talking about, where you drill into the tree to measure the rings. So he had one of those. Most of the nice ones are made over in Switzerland, and if you want it, if you break it, then it's like several thousand dollars you have to get a new one or have to fix yours. That sort of thing. So these trees, because they grow so slowly and have such dense rings, there would is really really hard to get into. So as soon as you drill in and you pull out, this core is real difficult sometimes to get the actual increment bar back out of the tree without breaking the increment bar. Okay, So he drilled into the tree with one increment bar and it got stuck. So he drilled in with another one and it got stuck. So he's like, okay, well, both of my increment borers are now stuck in this tree. What am I gonna do? So then the guy went over to the Forest Service and said, hey, can I just cut this street down? You know, I'll count the rings and all these things. You know, it's first science. Like he had all the permits, everything was on the up and up, and there was one tree that he happened to be working on of all the thousands and hundreds that were around him. He just sort of walked up and was like, uh you, I'm gonna measure you. So he did it, cut it down. In the USDA for Service, whoever's up there was just like, yeah, go ahead, sounds good. There's one hundred different of them. That's fine. This tree, for all intents and purposes, is not special other than the fact that it's innately special because it's a really cool kind of tree now protected, I believe in California. So cut it down, started to count the rings O one two, three, four thousand. It was like four seven hundred years old, the oldest recorded living thing on the planet. Oh, I know, and it was it was so tragic, like the collective shock in that world because apparently there were not environmentalists, but there are certain intrepid people who had known about this tree. But people who study trees and find the superlative trees, the biggest, the fattest of this other than General Sherman, the biggest giants equoia in the world. All the other trees are very hidden, like the tallest redwood. I think it might be the stratosphere giant. There's a couple that are named Oh my god, no one knows exactly where it is. Very few people because they don't want this thing to happen. They don't want people to go and like, oh, I'm just gonna take one cone and all the cones are gone, then stamp all the way around the soil and cause the tree to die.
Speaker 1: They're like protected celebrities exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they're so protected, and so it's like, oh, no, are you kidding me? The one tree, So everyone got super mad at him. It was like, you cut down the oldest tree, and you have to see this guy's researchers studying these trees doing dendro chronology. So it's not that he was just like, we're gonna log it and turn it into a table. He's just like, no, I how I wasn't. And then for the rest of his life he was just absolutely vilified.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, literally cry.
Speaker 2: It's so so I know, I know, and you look back on it and you're like, I can't believe, like, oh, literally, two thousand you have to or four thousand, seven hundred years when you can see that, like the Pyramids were built like six thousand years ago. So when let's see two thousand years before Christ was born, these trees were already growing. When Christ was born, they were already ancient trees by our standards, they were already two thousand years old, two thousand, seven hundred maybe, So it's one of these things you're just like, how can I just oh my god, what did they getty conceptualized?
Speaker 1: Dude? Did he go to the Witness protection prom.
Speaker 2: I know he should have. He just kind of disappeared. I think he had changed careers, stopped doing anything, and he just sort of settled out. But he ended up this one person, remember his name, and he was doing something and someone brought it up and was like, hey, aren't you the guy that killed the world's oldest tree? And he was just like, God, oh, don't hold en up that wound again. And yeah, so it's a really sad story. But the guy didn't do it on purpose. It's just, hey, he was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the wrong tree.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're up there boring trees, you love trees exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's mind blowing.
Speaker 1: But so I got so sad for the tree, and also because this guy probably ended up living under a bridge and his family probably never talked to him again, probably couldn't get a job, had to eat out of the garbage, give up all of his science dreams for one mistake. And I looked into it, and turns out he did just fine. He had a successful career in academia. He was a geography professor, nothing to do with trees. He didn't even have to change his name or wear a wig or shave his eyebrows, so no one recognized him. You guys, I once got fired from a job in college for defrosting the mini fridge wrong and breaking it. This I just sailed through life killing the world's oldest thing. Prometheus, at four eight hundred and sixty two years old, was considered to be the oldest living thing in the world until twenty twelve when a newer oldest one was discovered. It was a tree that was five thousand and sixty two years old. And you're like, well, what's that one's name? If the other one was named Prometheus, good question. The new oldest one is unnamed. No one's ever named it. Frankly, that really bothers me. It's like the oldest alive thing on earth. Call it Jeff or Yvonne, fucking anything. Anyway, I gotta compound, I gotta take a breather.
Speaker 2: So those are the oldest trees. What he was studying dandro chronology. And to answer question, yes, when you drill in it does cause wound in a tree, but just like that big tunnel, it's just a smaller wound. The tree will compartmentalize over.
Speaker 1: It and you just have to go halfway through.
Speaker 2: So yeah, if you can hit that piss pull it out, then you boom, there you go. You get all the rings of that tree as long as the tree was living that entire section. But they're so close together you have to actually get a microscope and a tiny little pin to like actually count him out because you can't see it with the naked eye. Many times he just looks like this black sort of thing. You have three or four thousand rings, four thousand individual lines in the span of maybe three feet four feet.
Speaker 1: It's sod, that's crazy nuts.
Speaker 2: And so this guy so dendrochronology what he was studying, this is so fascinating. Basically, the way it works is you drill into the tree. You have a living tree. You can measure, Okay, that three is four thousand years old. Cool. Now you look next to it and you see a dead tree. That dead tree likely was living before the tree that was alive that you just measured, So you can say, okay, I can measure and drill into that tree, pull out this ring, and then match up those rings because remember each one's growing in the same place, so it's rings are gonna have the same thickness and the same chemical compounds. So for instance, carbon, which is where this story's gonna go. It's gonna get great.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So what they do is they said, okay, let's match up this living tree with this dead tree. And then all of a sudden they realized, wow, this dead tree was a lot, you know, a thousand years previous, so I get now an extra thousand years to add on to it. Once you match up those overlapping parts of their lives, then you find another tree that is even older, that's a dead standing snag that you're just like, oh man, that tree's been gone for hundreds of years, but it's still standing there because there's no decay that's up there. This is like eleven twelve thousand feet of elevation. There's nothing up there that's affecting these trees, at least not historically. So now you find an even older dead tree and you're like, okay, cool, this older dead tree. Now I can match up with that other dead tree. And you just keep on getting these overlapping things. They just find all these trees, match up all of their different rings together, and then boom, you can count back as long as you are one hundred percent sure that all those rings are from the same year, so.
Speaker 1: They can match all these rings together and by now they've amassed something like ten thousand, five hundred years of records for climate and carbon in the atmosphere. Now was very cool is they can use that record as a reference to the amount of C four or carbon in the trees, and they can compare it to how we carbon date like artifacts for certain civilizations. So it's like a dendrochronologist getting featured on an anthropologist mixtape.
Speaker 2: So what they did is they recalibrated all the machines, or really some machines retested these things and found that they were completely off where they're like wow, So we actually had to redo what we thought about European history, for example, because we redid our carbon dating and realized, wow, we've been kind of off.
Speaker 1: So trees are a paper trail in every way.
Speaker 2: It's pun intended.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a question about how do trees grow around benches and bicycles and fences, Like, you know, you see those pictures where a tree is eating a bicycle?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, what is life?
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 2: How did that happen? Oh, it's great, and I've seen exactly the one you're talking about in fact it was taken. It's like an old like banana sat bike, like up in a tree. Yes, And the caption that I read underneath it, it was like, oh, someone left this bike against this tree in nineteen thirty and it grew up. Hey, that tree was like probably forty years old, so it's not really nineteen thirty. It's just an old bike. But trees aren't like grass, where if you cut grass, the growing part of that grass is at the base, it's at the head of what is it, the crown of the plant, right at the soil level, so it comes out and then moves up. Trees they once they grow to a certain point, that's it. That will be there forever. If they put out a branch at one foot, that branch will always be at one foot. It'll probably die at some point or get cut off, and then the tree will grow round it and don't have to worry about it. But basically that bike was put twenty feet up in that tree. That's how they grow, so they can't lift anything in that regard.
Speaker 1: Oh God, okay, quick aside on the backstory of this bike. Ough, So it went viral with this caption A boy left his bike chained to a tree, and then he went away to war in nineteen fourteen and his parents left it there as a memorial. But yeah, like Casey says, bullshit. Okay, So first off, the US did not go to war in nineteen fourteen. Secondly, the real owner of the bike didn't have parents. In the nineteen fifties, on Vashion Island in Washington, this kid named Don Putts lost his dad in a house fire, which is so sad, and a bunch of locals donated items to the family. It was a mom with five kids, and so he got a bike and he hated the bike. It sucked. So one day he just ditched it in a swamp and someone must have found it hung it in a tree. The tree grew around it, so he had no idea until forty years later. He's grown up. He's a sheriff. He visited this tree landmark on a vacation back in his hometown and he was like, well, hot, damn, that's my bike and it sucks. And he says it just belongs to the tree now, which I'm guessing from the way it was wedged into the tree's crotch and it had to grow into its flow. That the tree hates the bike too.
Speaker 2: But what they can do is grow around thing. So trees grow and they react to different forces around them. So if there is a oh, there's actually a great picture I have, Oh my gosh, it's a tree in the Sierra Nevada. It's a common juniper and there is this big, like horizontal stack of granite just growing out, and the tree was growing right just right next to it. So as the tree got bigger and bigger, all of a sudden it kept starting to push on that rock. The rock wasn't budging, so then it can't push out anymore, but it's still going to put on these rings. So the tree ends up growing out above and below it. So the rock just stays where it is, and the tree just keeps pushing out over the top, pushing out over the bottom, and literally starts to encompass that physical rock. So it got to the point where it looked almost like the tree had been pourn over the rock, and so it like came down and then just like poured off the side of it. But it was just the wackiest picture, and I wish I could find it.
Speaker 1: I have more questions, but I hope you're not. Are you late for anything?
Speaker 2: No? I literally have nothing. I talk. I would grab a beer and that's it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good because people have questions.
Speaker 2: People have questions. I guess this is so exciting.
Speaker 1: I know. Okay, wait, you could do this all night morning. Weird question, bear with me. Okay, do you think that certain trees have certain personalities?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I know that that sounds like a very weird, magical question, but do you see a tree? Maybe this is just because I have a little bit of synaesthesia, where like numbers and letters have different personalities. But okay, yeah, do you ever feel like different vibes from different trees? I would say so, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't know. It's not It's definitely not in a specific sense where I'd be like, oh, what's up. That's mo bro, that's my tree and we've been hanging out for years, and then I look over note tream like, uh, birches, I can't they just look at me wrong all the time. It's not quite that explicit, but my view is colored by what the tree is doing, like the characteristics of it. So like if I see one dream like, ugh, you are overplanted, you fall apart all the time. You put out flowers and they stink and you pulled the sidewalk. You or are just not a good tree. I don't don't want anything to do with you. It's not how I feel. It's not it's you know, it's like, oh, I hate you. But then you're like, well, no, you want to hang out later, that's cool. It's kind of like what it is like.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, we had this tree growing up that had a bend in it. You could sit in it like a chair, and we nailed a table up there so you could perch up there sip a soda in the woods. This tree always seemed just so benign, kind of like a cool grandpa. It's just like, sure, you can nail a table into my flesh and put a diet pepsi on it, you little brat.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the Giving Tree book? Does it make you cry?
Speaker 2: A loh? It? Does? I have it? It's on the I built these shelves and it's on the shelf up above my bed. I love that tree or that book.
Speaker 1: Wait, did you build the shelves out of wood?
Speaker 2: I did? Oh, I did, but I reused it it was a palette and I turned it into these cool shelves and I filled it up with cones and tree books and like certifications. I think one of my degrees is up there or something like that.
Speaker 1: So are you ready for some questions from uh patrons?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm so exciting. I have no idea you have.
Speaker 1: There's so many questions I had to cut them off. Oh I don't think I've ever gotten this many questions. So oh we hick on my Patreon pressures on patrons get to ask questions to theologists. So, oh my gosh. Okay, I'm going to just run through. It's a rapid fire around. Answer as quickly as you can. We'll get through as many as candid.
Speaker 2: So you got it. I think I can do it. Okay, chime at the end when I'm run No, I.
Speaker 1: Should have a whistle, Yeah I should. But before we take questions from you, our beloved listeners, we're going to take a quick break for sponsors of the show. Sponsors. Why sponsors? You know what they do? They help us give money to different charities every week. So if you want to know where Ologies gives our money, you can go to Aliward dot com and look for the tab ologies gives back. There's like one hundred and fifty different charities that we've given to already, with more every single week. So if you need a place to go, donate a little bit of money but you're not sure where to go. Those are all picked biologists who work in those fields, and this ad break allows us to give a ton of money to them. So thanks for listening and thank sponsors. Okay, your questions, Okay, here we go. Beth Frausto wants to know do trees feel pain when we trim them?
Speaker 2: Oh? They do, but not in a strict sense. So this also goes back to the hidden life of trees, where whenever we personify a tree and we give it sort of a humanistic thing, we're always sort of selling it short a little bit because it's like, well, well, you really don't want to say that the tree feels because then everyone's gonna be really sad when they're cutting down trees. Actually, maybe that might be a good thing. Yeah, I might take this back regardless. Usually scientists try not to do it, except for this one instance with the Friends or the Hidden Life of trees, that was probably the single greatest thing to happen to science about trees because some guy brought it down to a relatable level for the rest of humanity, and all of a sudden, people are like, wow, trees, they do feel they do think they do this, and then scientists are like, I'm just gonna say yes, just because that means that we're on the same Now.
Speaker 1: It's good for brandy exactly, it's great.
Speaker 2: So they do feel pain, but the pain isn't so much that they are like, ow, they're more because they're compartmentalizers. So all that does is create a reaction that says, ooh, I need to protect myself. Something may get in.
Speaker 1: Y'all did this with dating.
Speaker 2: Hey, either it's gonna get an insect that is going to come in, or it's gonna be a fungus or both, or a multitude of other things. So as soon as you prune a tree, it will get a wound. It's not that the tree is feeling hurt, but the tree will then respond to that. So they'll respond immediately, especially by the next year, and they will just put on new wood to cover over it. So it just puts in these three walls of chemical protection. Then grows a fourth wall of wood over the top to seal over that wound, and its exactly it's like it never happened. So it's not that they feel pain, but they react to the wound in a way that is best protecting them from any other pathogen or insect or something that's going to come in and get them. So, anytime you cut a tree and then it just starts pushing out sap a it's kind of like bleeding, especially if you cut it during the growing season where it's just pushing out as much energy and sugars as it can to its leaves to grow big and strong. You cut that off, all of a sudden, there's a bunch of pressure inside the tree literally pushing all this sap out. But that sap is also covering over that wound and making it an impenetrable place for all these other insects and things to get in. So it's actually literally sealing itself. Right.
Speaker 1: It's like a varnished kind of yeah, exactly, delicious varnish. That actually leads me to my next question. Dustin Mills wants to know how many different kind of trees can you get syrup from the tree?
Speaker 2: Oh, so it does, it hurts, it just like anything else, but it kind of hurts it in the same way that if you give blood, you're hurting yourself. Okay, So they have plenty of stored nutrients and stored sugars and all these things, so you can get syrup from almost any kind of tree. It just depends on if it's delicious or if it's so so diluted to where it just takes way too much effort to actually get it. So there's a tree called a sweet gum for all you nerds. That is liquid amber cyresa flua wonderful, wonderful tree. Also one of those trees it's like, I wish you weren't planted so much in the urban area because they just tear up sidewalks. But some of the best fall color you're ever gonna get in a tree. They're beautiful, from orange to yellow to purpled red. It's just it's wonderful. But what they do is you used to tap them. That's why they call it sweet gum because they would tap them in the South and then they would grow or collect all of the tree sap. You boil it down to get all the water out, and you get this sugar some taste really good. Some have other chemicals in it that make them less tasty. People have used them on birch trees and on other different maples, all bunch of different species of maple. But the reason we use sugar maple right now is just because it has the highest concentration of sugar per amount of sap. This still takes hours and hours to boil it off to create the actual thing, of which there's no recipe. Every bit you get they're just looking at they're like, eh, looks done. Really yeah, there's no actual like boil it for ten minutes. It's boil it until it looks right. That's it.
Speaker 1: So analog. So side note confession, little fyi. I always thought that maple syrup just kind of dripped out of trees as is, like you could just wander in the forest with a pocket full of waffles and just get a little smear here or there. But the sap actually comes out clear, kind of like water, and it takes forty gallons of it to boil down and make one gallon of maple syrup, which seems like a lot of tree tears, but they tap a bunch of them, they get just a little bit from everyone, So don't be too sad. You can continue to brunch unencumbered by guilt. Zach Sharba wants to know what's the science behind tree grafting and butting, because a lot of fruit trees are just grafted.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Almost great. Every banana you've had has been a literal clone of every other banana you've ever had. What the hell I know?
Speaker 1: So this is true. I just looked it up. This is crazy. So wild bananas are kind of short and squat, They're full of a bunch of pebbly seeds. Nobody loves them, and so we have cultivated this seedless, sterile one from a single specimen way back. All the bananas that we eat now, all of them, of the Cavendish variety, come from one single banana plant way back. We just keep splicing. So just think this. If you're in love with Michael B. Jordan Say or Francis McDorman and you have both eaten a banana, you have the same bananas jeans in your colon as them at one point. Isn't that exciting? So Cavendish got popular in the nineteen fifties because all the bananas we used to eat also clones. They were called fat Mitchell's or gross Michelles. They were wiped out by a fungus. So apparently, you know the banana flavor, we taste that tastes like fake banana, and we're like, is this banana tastes like those taste like the old timey phased out gross Michelle bananas which all died. Is this weird to you? It's so weird to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have no bananas. We have no bananas to day. Same thing with the apples. All the apples that are sweet delicious or golden delicious or whatever it is, they all came from one single tree.
Speaker 1: That's weird.
Speaker 2: It's great. So what they do is it is it's really weird, and it's really it's man, it kind of makes you feel like, now when you look at those trees, maybe this is a personality where it's like this weird egor tree that's like, oh my gosh, you're Frankenstein. Like you just have all these different parts growing on to you and it's just like, oh, you look so grizzled and worn, and it's like you're just mishmashed with parts from other trees.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I didn't even know that was a thing until very recently.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, oh yeah, it's hidden knowledge. I guess what they do is they find the ones that have the best rootstock, and they said, Okay, this one's really good, but it just gets these tiny little crab apples that are not very delicious. They're just like, oh, these sour. So you cut that. And if you can find another tree that happen to have this one crazy apple that's huge and delicious and sweet and whatever, you cut that apple or that bit off one of those those limbs, and then as long as it's the same size, you just literally put it together with a little bit of tape around it. And some I forgot the compound, but there's like a sort of compound that they put on there that encourages all you have to earth, encourages the cambium layer to come back together. So literally all you're doing is matching up those cambium layers. So as long as the stem is the same size, you can match up both cambium layers around, cover that with tape, and then it literally just grafts itself into it. And it says if the tree has a now whole functioning system again, that's it's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's just like organ transplants. Yeah exactly, yeah, but more successful.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. But having said that, apples are just completely pointless. And I'm just gonna say this right now.
Speaker 1: So side note, how does Casey like that mapples? Well, he does not. He launched into an impassioned four minute anti apple rant which I'm just going to recap. They were sold as health food via propaganda after the prohibition because all these cider apples could no longer be sold to make hoochs. You see, so I looked into this checks out. So now apples are in Casey forced on us as snacks. He does not like them. I love him for this.
Speaker 2: But it's just like like everyone who buys apples and like I'm gonna eat it as a snack. I'm like, you're just gonna get hungry. Should bring cheese. You should at least get cheese and some peanut butter. I'm not gonna eat it.
Speaker 1: But I've never heard someone who was such an apple fox.
Speaker 2: And the reason that I know that that's not good for the apple trees, that it's like not happening is because these apples get so laden with these or these trees get so laden with apples to where they're literally breaking their own branches because of the weight. And it's just like you guys are turning these into like monsters. Like this tree can't even support itself and it's ripping it.
Speaker 1: Bart I'm telling you, dude hates apples. Also, Casey, I'm so sorry. I was literally eating an apple as I was writing these asides. Life is just complicated. Rodka Pakaria has a question why do some trees lose their leaves in the winter and others don't?
Speaker 2: Aha? I love this question. So this comes down to a specific, basically strategy. So if you think of trees as as having a budget, one part of their budget goes towards making or growing tall in competition, you know, physically getting to be a big size growth. Then another part of that budget would be towards reproduction, because there's no point in growing unless you can reproduce. The third part, third big part, would go towards protection. So you can do any amount of energy put into any three or any one of those three categories. Obviously there's a couple more categories. It's very simplified. In this instance, you have a tree growing and it gets too cold, and so it's not that it actually gets too cold for the leaf itself, it's that wind continually rips through and damages that leaf. So what some trees have opted to do, or what has worked for them is instead of having just these dinky little leafs that just get completely destroyed during the wintertime, or the water gets too the water freezes in the ground so the trees can't pull it up, or it gets too cold up in the air, and ice crystals actually form in the leaf itself and rip it apart. Yeah, it's really bad when leaves and tissues like that freeze, just the same as if we our fingers froze. The reason that we get frostbite is because it actually the ice crystals in our fingers expand out, just because we know ice expands and it rips apart the cells.
Speaker 1: It's just terrible. Ps. That's the noise I make when my butthole clenches and sympathy pain. So you're welcome, okay, And is that how frostbite really works? It is? I never knew. Casey is just a font of knowledge. He's more like a tap of sweet fact sap for our brains to boil down.
Speaker 2: So for some trees, what they decide to do, or what you know work for them is they made their leaves just a little bit tougher. So they put more of their energy into making that leaf really strong, making it waterproof, making it less edible, making it so adding more lignant and more things that make it more distasteful to different animals. Some trees put a lot of energy into their leaves. Because they put a lot of energy into their leaves, they now can hold them, but they don't want to just let them drop because there was so much energy. You can't just drop that onto the ground and then regrow it again the next year. So really tough leaves they can withstand the conditions. So as soon as spring comes, if you get an early spring, the trees that are evergreen are already ready to go. They are photosynthesizing. Spring comes boom, They're right off the bat. They would be able to compete better in that instance. Whereas the deciduous trees are still dormant. They have not been growing over this entire season. They've dropped their leaves. But because they haven't put so much effort and energy into those leaves, they can put it into something else.
Speaker 1: I e.
Speaker 2: Into growing really fast or putting out a lot of fruit. You get a tree that is deciduous, drops its leaves, goes dormant, and then as soon as springhets some conditions get really good. They shoot up by like two or three feet sometimes. And so while you have these other trees they have put a lot of energy into their leaves, they have less energy to put into growing tall, less energy into defense. So it's just more of a balance of which is more functionable for this tree at the right time. Sometimes deciduous doesn't make any sense because the conditions are so good. Where you're like, ah, well, why get rid of my leaves, there's no good reason. So up here it's usually water is the limiting factor. So their leaves start to desiccate, lose all their water, then they drop them. Then they just wait.
Speaker 1: So it's more just about favorable conditions than it is about climate. It really depends on what's best for the tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of the time, and obviously climate has something to do with it. Yeah, we have evergreen trees here because why lose your leaves If you can just photosynthesize for eighty percent of the year, just go for it.
Speaker 1: And then in the meantime, they're living off of storage sugars.
Speaker 2: H exactly. Yeah, so they're always respiring one hundred percent of the year. You know, trees are the only things, or rather certain plants are the only things that can produce their own food and then respire to use it. So we're respiring. Every physical or every living thing uses respiration to breathe, and that's why we breathe out carbon dioxide and water. Trees do the exact opposite. They say, take carbon dioxide and water, turn it into oxygen, and us simple sugar or a long chain of sugars. So all they do is just store it, store it, store it, and then just sort of sit there and then just eat sugar all year round until they can start growing again.
Speaker 1: Just snacking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really nice. It's delicious. I wish I could do it.
Speaker 1: Do you think that planting more trees will save the environment.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, I'm just gonna say blatant. Yes, we'll just leave it a yes, and yes, yeah, always plant more trees. There's so many good reasons. We could do a thousand more hours of talking about.
Speaker 1: Do you think there are certain trees that Josh Bruce wants to know. Are there certain trees that are better for the environment than others.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, I would say so, but really it's not necessarily better for the environment. It's better for maybe the micro environment. So small trees that don't cast a lot of shade over a bunch of cement not really doing a lot. A big, huge, large tree that shades over a bunch of cement and lowers the heat island effect in a city, which is just the fact that in the cities it's warmer temperatures than in the associated cropland or forestland. It's just cooler out there and warmer in here. And that's because we have so many impervious services that are taking in heat and then bouncing it back out. So if we have a big tree that's growing over the top of that, then we're shading out that areas. If we do that over the scale of the entire United States, then all of a sudden, we're like losing millions of tons of carbon just by having one tree shading our house with during the hottest time of the day. So in that instance, yes, some are better at accomplishing our objectives in terms of helping out the environment, But for the most part. Yeah, plant a tree. It's it's always gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Okay, a couple more questions from WET. I got so many questions. There's no way I could possibly answer all of these. This would be like a seven hour episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who listens to hardcore history here? Okay, Yeah, I'm ready, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Mark James has a great question our Bonzi trees actually trees? Are they shrubs with pretension?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man? Can I say both? Yeah? Sure, I'm gonna say both. Then they do have a certain amount of pretention, but it was given and forced upon them.
Speaker 1: So Casey compares Bonzi cultivation with traditions like, oh, you know, corsets and footbinding, And if I may add my two cents, i'd say let's lump in modern day high heels, which we're going to look back with just horror. Please mark my words. Your grandkids are going to look back at probably like a holographic photo album of present day women in evening gowns, just grimacing and carrying strappy stilettos at the end of a party, and ask Grandma, what in Turd's name were you thinking? This is a nightmare? How did you live? Why did you not stab people with your shoes, and we will say it was just it was just what you did. Now, lather up my stumps, will you child?
Speaker 2: Same exact thing. Where they're completely torturing these trees in every way. So they are beautiful, they're pretentious in it, So bonzi tree is technically a tree, but literally bonzai means a tree in a pot, so that's all it is. They just really take it seriously sometimes, and I wish I could do it. It's actually so hard to do. People like I could do that, you'll kill your tree. I guarantee. Those trees are so well taken care of it's obscene.
Speaker 1: They're like show dogs.
Speaker 2: They are Oh my gosh, that's the best way to look at it. Yeah, you can almost see them prancing around and all.
Speaker 1: These things and looking this up. I learned that it's actually pronounced bone size, which you can say if you're feeling pretentious. So that being said, recently, a centuries old pine bone size sold for one point three million dollars for a single bone size. That's a lot of money for a bone size. I got this information on a bone size website called bone Siempire dot com, which has a lot of information about bone size.
Speaker 2: And so what they do is you have this small tree, it's a regular tree. If you take a Bonzie redwood tree, you pull it out of the ground, you're pull it out of its pot, and you put it in the ground. You give it a thousand years, it will be three hundred feet tall. No, swear to god. They are exactly the same trees as every other species that exists. Every bonzai is the same tree as the regular species that grows out and gets huge. So black pines, Japanese black pines are a great example. They get huge, they're really nice, beautiful trees. They will use those as Bonzi trees more often than not. No way, all they do is you pull them out during the dormant season. You clip the roots a little bit, and you put them back in. You add a little bit of fertilizer or something just to sort of keep them going sometimes, and then you put in the top and you sort of shape the tree exactly. But every time you do that, when you cut off any amount of roots, a you're taking away a food source for the tree or a nutrient in water source. So it's like, okay, well now I have to regrow that roots. So they're putting a lot more effort into constantly regrowing, and you're also cutting off that stored starch in that area you're cutting off a root, you're taking away a certain amount of stored energy and lessening the ability for that tree to get nutries and energy later. So all you're doing is torturing that tree. Literally, if you could hear screams during the wintertime, you would just hear these little tiny like AHAs. Then they you know, cut off all the roots and then they put them back down and then they shape them. So that's why the trees they stay small is because they're literally bound in this pot, the same way that feet would stay small if you bound them in shoes, which you shouldn't do. It's an atrocious thing.
Speaker 1: So I just went down a real rabbit hole about footbinding, which is now illegal, but for centuries it involved breaking young girls toes and then soaking them in animal blood and then wrapping them into deformity, and about how that was just like accepted, kind of like our modern stilettos, because it just it made the legs look muscular, and it was an erotic treasure for men. The girl's hobbled gate was supposed to tighten their vaginas. Let's just say I'm making that noise again, ye yah yah yea yea yea yea.
Speaker 2: Ye, at least for the feet, the bonds eye trees, Like I said, they don't feel pain, but they certainly will respond to it. So you're basically keeping that tree in a very stressed stack its entire life.
Speaker 1: Oh it's like Munchausen's by proxy, where it's like you see your kid and you're like, I'm gonna stun your girls, so you never leave.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yes, that's exactly what it is. It's terrified.
Speaker 1: Okay, one last question, Okay, Jillian Page Jefferson wants to know, hy just curious. Are there any certain types of trees that produce more oxygen than other trees?
Speaker 2: Oh? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either.
Speaker 2: I do know that you know, it's a chemical equation, So it's literally for X amount of carbon and sugar used, you get an X amount of oxygen. So it wouldn't be necessarily that one tree just produces more oxygen. It's that one would respire or would make more photosynthesis. So some trees just pump it out and then store the store the energy so you can cut them down and they'll just keep growing back. So those might be ones that probably produce more, but it's just because they're working over time. It's not that they're actually producing more with less their same amount, same equation. It's just one plus two equals three every single time.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, so yeah, probably, So if you want to plant trees, you should probably consult like a local arborist and say, hey, what's the best kind of plant?
Speaker 2: Yes, I completely concurr.
Speaker 1: We touched on this a little bit. But the last two questions I always ask are what is your least favorite thing about what you do? What is the hardest part, What is the most annoying part?
Speaker 2: What's your least favorite Yeah, I would say the hardest part is convincing people. And this is more hard, like a challenge, is convincing people to understand trees. And I don't want to say the way I understand trees, but to at least give them a better appreciation of how the trees affect them. So a lot of people are like, oh, I got to cut down this tree or all this tree is dangerous, and I'm like, well, no it's not, and here's why, and explain it through, and most of the time I get people who are just like, oh, okay, cool, I never knew that or I never thought about it that way. But then I try to explain the benefits of trees, and I'm like, hey, when you go to work and you look out your window and you see this, you know, landscape with trees, maybe a pump grass, that sort of thing, and then you compare it. They've done studies on this. This is all I can confirm.
Speaker 1: So I went in fact checked this later, and it's true. There are a bunch of studies done in different situations, all pretty much same outcome.
Speaker 2: On the other side of the building, where it's just a brick wall that they're looking at. If you guys are doing the same job, you're getting paid the same. The person with the view of the landscape of the trees will have more production, They will be more productive, less stress, and will be more satisfied with their job. Really, person on the other side will have less of those things. All across the board. And they've done all these studies and they say, wow. You know, if you are sitting in a hospital bed and you're recovering and you look out the window you see trees. Those people use less pain medication and recover faster than the same exact person the same exact situation without that view.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. There's this well known short story about two men in a hospital. One is blind. The other describes the scenes out the window to him. Turns out the window is just overlooking a brick wall, but his roommate made up these beautiful scenes to help the other guy. I tried to look up the original author for this, and it can only be traced to a guy named Harry Bushman. Harry Bushman Bushman super appropriate for a nature episode, or perhaps Harry Bushman was a name adopted in the Wild and Crazy Harry nineteen sixties. Harry Bushman.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to convince people. I'm like, hey, listen, you're like, you don't understand. You cut down this tree. I can tell you there's gonna be physical effects. It's gonna cost money. First off. Second off, if you don't hire someone who knows what they're doing, they could drop some part on your house or your car. So pay for pay for good work. Number Three, you're gonna have maybe uh more sons gonna hit it. You're gonna have more rain. You're gonna have now drainage problems because you don't have this huge thing pulling up water from the ground all the time. But then on top of that, you're gonna have maybe less privacy, You're gonna have less or more stress because things are gonna be a little bit hotter. You can see more pavement, there's gonna be more direct lines that are harsh. So there's all these like small micro things that really add up. So the hardest heart, I think for me is to try and compel. It's not necessarily hard for me, it depends on the audience. Is to convince someone no, you don't want to cut down the tree. And here's why, here's why. It's doing a lot more good that you may not even know about. But when you do the when you do the before and after, you're gonna be like, why, man, I'm really stressed right now? Have you been staring at pavement or you've been looking at a tree?
Speaker 1: Oh? I ever got to ask one question, Well, how do you feel about Christmas trees?
Speaker 2: Christmas trees are fun, they're great. I always have a real Christmas tree.
Speaker 1: You don't mind that they're getting cut?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not really no non in that regard, okay, because they're they're small, and you know, if you're really comparing them, you can just regrow another one in like five or eight years, like oh and take that long.
Speaker 1: I was gonna go fifty to fifty. I was like, Casey's either gonna hate Christmas trees or he's gonna love them. I did not know which side of the line you were gonna end up on. That was atal surprise to me. I was like, I was like, easily you could have been like Christmas trees are an abomination. Everyone should have like a tumbleweed, what some lights on it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Oh, this seems reasonable. Yeah, but yeah, I like it. And also if you think about all the other things, you know, it's a rural er side of the world that grows Christmas trees, so you're supporting that economy buying a you know, twenty five dollars noble fur or something like that. They try to make them perfect. I hate that. Just let a tree grow, cut it down, put it in your house. You got a tree, and I need to worry about it making a perfect like you know, pyramidal shaped thing, and you know, share it to within an inch of its life.
Speaker 1: Ugly trees. Fine trees, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Olga, trees are fine trees. I just love. In fact, some of the coolest trees if any If you ever look up the bristle cone pines, those old old trees, they are so gnarly, like you're like, how are you even a thing.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go deep into some tree porn later, and oh I'm gonna start looking up. I'm just gonna start pinteresque boarding an old tree thing.
Speaker 2: I actually have a book I call tree porn because it has a like long picture. It's called tree I think is ads. This is very fancy and it has this like literally like centerfolds of like tall redwoods, and so I'm like leaning back, I'm like, oh, yeah, that is that is a huge tree. It was like, oh my god, Casey, get a room. I'm like, no, no, no, I'm doing this right here on the couch. I'm looking at this tree. D it on a dead tree. I know the irony is so thick, but I had to say, it's a renewable resource. Yeah, if it's done correctly, logging is absolutely gonna save the world. We're doing things right now with trees. It's called cross laminated timber clt It is gonna be the future and I'm absolutely sure this. They're doing it in Germany. We're just now in Oregon getting a couple of mills on board to start doing it. But basically, think really thick plywood where you have boards going left and right, then you have them turn ninety degrees into going that direction. I mean, you're just doing this over and over and over to you get this big, like six inch thick piece of panel, and then you can cut that into whatever shape you want and put it together like legos. Like literally there. They said, if you hear like hammers and nails on one of these sites where they're building this you know, structure, then something went wrong. Wow, because they just sort of fit in together and then they're less five resistance. This is the funniest thing. It's wood.
Speaker 1: Wait, more fire resistance.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, more fire resistance. Sorry.
Speaker 1: So this new type of lumber is too dense to burn, which is also a really good self deprecating way of deflecting an insult. Too dense to burn. Now, it's also what's called a carbon sink because it traps carbon dioxide and keeps it there, which helps counter climate change in global warming, which is necessary if we don't want to be swallowed by boiling oceans.
Speaker 2: So it should be the future. I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: That's ideally, that's really optimistic, because I wasn't sure what the future was going to be, and this is good to know.
Speaker 2: Oh, I hope it is. I hope it is because we can get it to the extent where almost all of our buildings are now timber framed again. We can make sure that all of our trees are grown properly and under certain conditions. Wood is naturally good at moving, so you don't have to worry about the tensile strength. Everything's already built into the fiber itself. And on top of that, it's nicer to look at wood than it is cement. So it's kind of like, this is so much more pleasant than I know anything else.
Speaker 1: I would so much try to have a wooden table than a glass one, absolutely, just it's so comfortable.
Speaker 2: They're just so much nicer. It's just something warm to told me about it. It's like going into an old wood paneled cabin or something. You're just like, ah, this is home. Oh, I can do this where's my pipe.
Speaker 1: It's like a big wooden womb.
Speaker 2: I just love it exactly. Oh, it's delightful.
Speaker 1: Now to end on happy note, is your very very favorite thing about what you do. I know that's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Hard, this is oh man, But really it's looking at trees almost every single day, and most of them are all different trees or different situations of trees. So I go out and I see a dogwood one day and I get to protect it from a development. I'm like, nope, you have to retain this tree. It's an awesome tree. You did it. That makes me go home so happy. But then because of what I do, and because of sort of who I am, it's not niceily part of my job, just part of my being. I guess where I can go out and find these trees is like, you know what, today, I'm going to go out to this part of the world or this part of Oregon and find these trees and drive out in this this huge, long adventure and then you PLoP out in this little grove and there's just these stunningly massive trees around you that have been completely untouched and protected from logging. So you're just like, oh, like you're incredulous and how incredible these trees are. So that not quite a part of my day to day job, but that's my favorite thing where I get to go out and like find these cones and find these trees and be like, yes, I've been there, I've seen it. They're incredible. I know how they grow. I've seen them like fall and die and grow up again. So that is probably the really nicest part. The other nice part that I really like is actually just telling people about trees. Like if I could just sit down, like and do something like this and someone's like, tell me about trees, I'm just like where to begin, and then I can just do it for hours. So I think my favorite parts when someone's actively interestingly is listening to me, that's what I'm just like, they're taking this in, they like it. Okay, they're still here. All right, one more hour, one more slot, and let's let's just keep going.
Speaker 1: When you found an ear to tree tails, yeah, it's a happy day. This is a happy day.
Speaker 2: Hey. Yeah. And if I can convince someone that they don't want to cut down their tree, if I can change that mind, trees are incredible things and humans are way too hubriistic in the idea. I'm not even sure if that's a word, but yes, they think. We think that we know better than the trees, are better than the ecosystem that's been developed over millions of years. When someone's like, oh, what should I do to make this tree healthy? Like, my answers are like, let it grow. The only reason that we prune trees is because of us. Trees don't need help.
Speaker 1: It's like reason, know what's up? Trees are like excuse me? Yeah, if I've been evolving for millions of years.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like listen, long have you been here, kiddo. So then this is one of my old bosses said all the time. He's like, there's no reason to prune a tree other than human reasons to prune a tree. They will do it themselves if they have to, or they will fall apart and die, and then another tree's going to take its place. That's called the circle of life, and that's how it goes.
Speaker 1: Speaking of a circle of life, yeah, one more morbid question.
Speaker 2: Let's go for it.
Speaker 1: When you die, do you want to be planted in one of those tree pots? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. I don't know anything about it, but The answer is yes, I would love that. I would love a natural burial where they don't involve me or don't put me in like a box or anything like that. If they do, make it like an alder box so it decays in like thirty seconds. Okay, put me in the ground, and then plant a tree right on top, so that I can, at some point everyone else in the world to be like Casey became that tree.
Speaker 1: Oh you're going to become a tree. I love that. I mean, hopefully not anytime soon, like in another like long times crossed a long time, I will live all the trees I planted in my life.
Speaker 2: Please please, Yeah, that would be that would be so nice to uh, you know, obviously I wouldn't be thinking about it then, but to know that my individual cells, my molecules have literally been transformed into something else. Yep.
Speaker 1: I don't think that I've ever met anyone is enthusiastic about tree.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's weird. So far, I haven't met anyone either. Maybe a couple of people. But yeah, at least I can give him a good run for their money. So thank you. I'm happy to hear that.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: This is wonderful to you to bask in Casey's infectious tree enthusiasm. You can see his brand new seedling of an Instagram account, which I have encouraged and have just straight up pressured him to start. He said he was going to start it anyway, and I just said, listen, dude, do it before Tuesday. You can follow him on Instagram at clap four trees clapp four the number four trees. It's a brand new account. It's so exciting, so you can find him there. I'll also put a link in the show notes. So Ologies is on Instagram and Twitter at Ologies, and I'm on both at Ali Ward with one L and there's a group full of very warm, curious folks at Ologies podcast on Facebook. Thank you Hannah Liippo and Aaron Talbert for adminting. You can also obtain Ologies objects at ologysmirch dot com. There are pins, their dad hats, shirts, toads, we've got phone cases, we got it. Sales support and making of the podcast. Thanks Shannon Feltis and Bonnie Dutch for helping run that you guys role, and thank you always to Stephen Ray Morris for editing. This was a beast of an episode. I usually have between fourteen to twenty five asides, and this one had forty, and he charges me by the hour. So thank you to all the patrons at patreon dot com for essentially paying him and for submitting such great questions. Asking smart people dumb questions is literally the only way anyone learns anything in life. And if you think your question is dumb, I guarantee like twelve other people want to ask it and they're going to be thankful that you did. You can become a patron for as little as a dollar a month, and that supports the show. So if it's worth the price of a sandwich per year or whatever, consider it. You get to ask your questions and see behind the scenes pictures and videos and such. Now the music was written by Nick Thorburn of the band Islands, which is a very nice band. And now if you stick it out to the very end, you know you a secret. And this week it's that I never learned how to type, even though I have been a professional writer for like the decade, I skipped that elective in high school. So my hands when I write just hover in weird places on the keyboard. Sometimes just a pointer finger, and I'm pretty fast, but I make a ton of typos. I make so many mistakes, and I get so embarrassed when Stephen Ray Morris is working in the same Google transcript document and there's just so many red underlines. It's just like red lasagna noodles all over it. It wasn't until a year ago that I learned why keyboards have those weird knobs on the F and the J keys. I just thought they were like weird mistakes on all keyboards. So I downloaded to learn to type program. I only got a few lessons in, and I need to dedicate some time to it because I type like a t Rex trying to operate a spaceship. Okay, provide hacadermatology, hobiology, doo zoology, lithology and zology, Meteorology and botology.