Speaker 1: Just this morning, the Bureau of Labor Statistics put out its jobs report for the month of July, which fell well short of expectations.
Speaker 2: Take a look at this.
Speaker 1: Analysts expected in net gain of eighty three thousand jobs. What do we get The data shows we lost twenty three thousand. The government also revised down the last two months of job gains by the way, by one hundred three thousand jobs. The President, though, was still selling and a plus that's a quote economy, but voters aren't buying it. Let's bring in Henriette Tres, co founder of the Veda Partners. Henriette, what's your biggest takeaway from the job's numbers that came out this morning, again falling Wubbelo expectations.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Britt, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Absolutely the jobs report data is so impactful in this particular release that we are now changing our forecast about whether or not the Federal Reserve hikes interest rates next month and instead decides to hold them flat. That's how impactful this job's number is. And importantly, it's not just the lost jobs that you need to look at, it's where they're coming from. And then also what's happening to wages, average hourly earnings are the weakest they have been.
Speaker 2: Since May of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: So this is a real indicator of why the American public feels so disconnected from the economy, from stock market gains, from any a plus. As you mentioned that the President might be giving the economy, voters just aren't feeling it, and it's because their wages aren't keeping up and jobs are being lost.
Speaker 1: And this is all while the inflation ready is sitting at three point five percent. So when you have, you know, a weaker jobs market and the inflation, what effect is that half four Americans at home?
Speaker 2: It's a double waymie.
Speaker 3: In addition, I would go one step further and say some of the adjuta that the American public feels, which creates this general sense of malaise around the economy, is because we're fearful of AI. We don't know what that's going to mean for our children, for our own jobs, for their prospects into the future. And this was one of the first jobs prints that went right after the first step, there's sort of the first shoot to drop on the AI front. The jobs that were lost were disproportionately in a white collar space, financial services, payroll services, things that can be easily automated and you can be replaced effectively by a computer.
Speaker 2: That's what we saw in this payroll report. And the combination of.
Speaker 3: That plus inflation, whether it's from tariffs or the Iran war, those are all compounding and it's just a slew of bad news for the US consumer.
Speaker 1: So I guess that's sort of confusing to me is when you hear the President just this week saying that the United States has the greatest economy in the history of the world, calling it the Golden Age economy. How does this report then fit into that narrative.
Speaker 3: Right, That's exactly why the president's approval rating on his handling of the economy, of jobs, of inflation is so deeply underwater.
Speaker 2: It's completely disconnected from what the average American is feeling.
Speaker 3: The President is very fond of talking about the stock market earnings been incredibly small, strong, the US economy has just created a brand new invention.
Speaker 2: In AI that is booming. The US consumer is.
Speaker 3: Also globally very very resilient, as we always have been. You know, the adage is don't fight the US consumer just like you don't fight the FED. So the disconnect that the average American is feeling in terms of seeing all this growth in the stock market that's coming from the mag seven, from AI adoption, from this generation of massive capital expenditures into these huge data centers just doesn't translate when you're not earning.
Speaker 2: Enough to keep up with inflation.
Speaker 3: And again, like I said, it's the lowest weakest hourly earnings rate that we've seen.
Speaker 2: Since May of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: So the American public is looking at their pocketbook and saying, I just don't see it.
Speaker 1: It's a big double whammy. As you said. You know, when you talk about gas prices, that's another layer that's sort of added to this problem. Here, the national average for a gallon of gas right now, it's on our screens four oh four, ups from two ninety eight since the start of the war. Right, So, where do you expect gas prices to go from here? Because I don't know if we can afford any more than this.
Speaker 3: You know, one of the things that's most important about the data set you've got up here in this four dollars and four cent gas is that we're just not breaking below that three dollars barrier.
Speaker 2: We've been at what three h nine. All through the.
Speaker 3: Last couple of weeks, the war continues to be volatile. Maybe we get a ceasefire, maybe we don't. Maybe it lasts sixty days, maybe it doesn't. But the gas market is tight, the crude market is tight, and so that creates a situation where the President can't just snap his fingers and get us back to that two dollars ninety eight cents figure. There is a very real cost to closing the Straight of Hormuz, not just for a couple of weeks, but now for.
Speaker 2: Almost six months.
Speaker 3: And to not have a path forward that doesn't include iron controlling the straight means that these prices, which are set by a global commodity are going to be high for the foreseeable future, easily well into the end of this year. So for the American consumer to bring it back around to what we're all feeling, you might be earning less, but you're also paying more, and so you're really having a hard time buying what the President is selling by saying this is an excellent economy. Everything's more expensive and you're earning lesson your wages aren't keeping up with job growth if you're keeping your job, so It is across the board, very disconcerting and uncomfortable for the American consumer who has to get to their job, must buy the gasoline to get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this affordability issue is much more like a crisis. I think we need a triple whammy at this point. Harry Henrietta Chance, thank you so much for your time today.