Speaker 1: It's nice Eyes with Dan Ray Unguion Beasy Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Let's get some phone calls here gone six, one, seven two, Friday night at eleven. You never know what's going to happen, right, but I want to know what you think of the performance, because that's what it was. The performance Tonight Karen Reid on ABC. They did a two hour special, uh Bill, kick Him Bob George criminal defense attorneys were kind enough to join break it down for us. They felt that this was not a good thing to do, that this was a mistake, that simply they should have.
Speaker 2: Just gone with the defense of prove that we hit the guy. Prove it.
Speaker 3: Forget about all these other theories about that he was taken out of the house, that there was a fight in the basement. That's the reason the family sold the house, covered up the basement floor.
Speaker 2: The local cops are in on it. It was a cover up, so forth.
Speaker 3: And so on. It's a lot to chew on. It's a lot to think about. I love a good story, was enthralled by it. But the way to go originally was to say, okay, prove that she killed him by hitting him with a car, and both gentlemen feeled that he she would have walked out the door. Well they didn't do that, and now she's facing a second trial. Is this a desperate move?
Speaker 2: I mean they were talking about like what she wears and how she gets dressed. I mean, my god, that I mean she want to be a Kardashian. I think so.
Speaker 3: If you watched it, did this help her? Did this change your opinion about her at all? Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty the number. Let's find out what Frank and Boston has to say. Hi Frank, you're on wbz's Night Side.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you very much. I didn't see the special. But the one thing that I'm confused about this is, and nobody seemed to be asking, is what is going on with that police department that the people have turned on it on them so quickly and so numerous What do you do with that police department out there? I've never seen people jump on them on a police department so quick and with such little evidence.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it depends on which side you're on. If you're pro Karen Read, then obviously you're jumping on the police department. And thank you very much for the phone call. I appreciate it, Frank, I think you're jumping on the police department. If you are on her side, then if you are on the prosecution side, then you're going to be pro police department. There has been some criticism of that police department also the state police, you know, with the state Police investigator when they looked at the tax and his comments about the text, that was not a good look.
Speaker 2: Again, does that have anything to do whether she killed him or not.
Speaker 3: It doesn't, but it hurts the credibility of the prosecution because it hurts the police department.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt. Do I know what happened? I don't. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think she should be convicted for second degree murder. That I don't understand because I don't think she intended to kill him. Is there manslaughter? Is there year on the table? Now you can go to jail for manslaughter and it can be involuntary and you could still serve time. Could that be the case?
Speaker 2: Also?
Speaker 3: I mean she I don't believe she took a breathalyzer test. I didn't see that, but according to testimony, she had been drinking. Does that enter into the situation at all? The thing that I always wonder about, and Bill Kickham has brought this up. It's the nature of the injuries. They're all facial injuries. And if he was hit by the truck that she was driving, the car, SUV or whatever, wouldn't there be more injuries than just on his face. Because the facial injuries could be a result of a fistfight, which may have happened in the basement, which maybe one of the reasons why they repainted or resurface the floor, maybe one of the reasons why they moved out of the house. All of this speculation, it's all speculation. You don't know. It would make a great crime novel. It would make a great television movie or in Law and Order. But the family that owned the house, Brian Albert, they're not on trial. They are not on trial for this.
Speaker 5: She is.
Speaker 3: And to Bill and Bob's point, that was the problem with the way they addressed the case. And it has been said the second time around, coming up in January, it's going to be more difficult to prove her innocence.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about it. So was this a hail Mary?
Speaker 3: If you will to watch this on twenty twenty tonight or are you sick of it? Is there some fatigue here? Did you watch it? Did this change your mind about her? She's very confident. She does great in front of the camera, at least appearance wise. I don't know how she did as far as speaking this evening. Maybe you saw it, Maybe you have a point on that six six, one seven, he tried to say two five, four, ten point thirty here on WBC. My suspicion is the second time around, she could get I don't know if it's going we hung jury again. Are we going to keep doing this? Just what's going to happen? We're gonna keep doing this? Can can the defense do what Bill and Bill and Bob said our attorneys Bill and Bob sounds like a talk show Bill and Bob on law. Can they take a step back and drop all of the misdirection. Can they drop the misdirection and just say, look, prove that she did it?
Speaker 2: Forget?
Speaker 3: I mean, supposedly, going into the second trial, it's supposed to be brand new. What happened before is not supposed to enter into this trial. I just think that's unrealistic. I mean to expect somebody to have not seen this twenty twenty special or heard about it or seen it on demand or streaming. To have not seen this and be on a jury, I think it's on. I think it's impossible. I think it's impossible, And I think people are gonna lie. Absolutely, they're gonna lie. They're gonna say no, I didn't see it. How can you not know anything about this case? How can you not be biased in some way? That's the problem with so much electronic media in the digital age and the way people use media now to advance their agendas. I wonder if the defense team for Karen Reid feel as though they advanced their agenda tonight, that they did something that they moved forward, that they helped their cause. Furthermore, should they have waited? I mean, it's still got January?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Is this going to be forgotten by January? The news cycle is like a it's a joke. So maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this doesn't have an effect on the jury because January twenty sixth, or twenty fifth or twenty seventh.
Speaker 2: Is so far away. Maybe it has nothing to has.
Speaker 3: No impact on I think it will, though, because I think this thing's just gonna live live online.
Speaker 2: You know, one of the things I feel.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you one of the things I feel that's important in this case, and it's really not any legal strategy.
Speaker 2: It's a human one.
Speaker 3: And that's coming up next right here on wbz's Night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: You know, earlier tonight we were talking about the presidential election and the predictions and how it really comes down to keeping things simple at some point, right, skip it simple. So Alan Lickman, who's a professor at American University, he has his thirteen questions or thirteen ways to evaluate the presidential election, you know, and if five of his keys are not a factor, the incumbent wins, no recession, no social unrest. The challenger is that's some sort of hero, there's no major scandal, right, so he predicts that Kamala Harris is going to win. It all comes down to likability. I've always said that friends of mine, accountants, people I think are smarter than me. You know, you know how you have friends that you just think they're smarter than you. They're probably not.
Speaker 2: But people will say, well, you vote on the economy.
Speaker 3: Now we're not voting on the economy, I really don't. I think people think they vote on the economy, but they don't really understand what they're voting for with a certain president or economy because, like I said before, the economy generally it is not impacted by the president. I think when it comes to the case of Karen Reid, I think it really comes down to likability.
Speaker 2: Now, what our.
Speaker 3: Attorney experts said, the court of public opinion does not matter. But do they feel by having this specialty on an ABC that they have to go after the court of public opinion in the hopes that they reach a couple of people who could be on the jury.
Speaker 2: There's no other reason to do it.
Speaker 3: There's no other reason to do it than the defense feels that somebody's going to be on the jury. They saw the special in ABC, and they like her.
Speaker 2: I believe I like her. Why, I don't know. I just do.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's as simple as that, do I like the defendant? Do I have empathy for the defendant? It's very hard to have empathy or sympathy for her, it really is, because she's such a big, bold personality. So I don't I think that could work against her. She was not abused, She wasn't a victim in any way. She was in a contentious relationship with Officer O'Keefe, who people seem to like. Never heard a bad thing about the guy, but many times people don't speak ill of the deceased's she's likable in that she's fairly attractive, she's she's got as my mother would say, she has good posture. She seems very confident in herself. Is that enough is Does that make her likable?
Speaker 2: I don't know she's likable.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she I don't know if she comes across as somebody you would cheer for. She doesn't come across as a victim in all of this, and I think that's what the defense was trying to prove that she's a victim, and they weren't able to do it. In the first trial that she was ganged up by the folks that own the house, the Aulberts that owned the house, she was bullied by. Then she was ganged up on by them, so we're supposed to feel sympathetic for it. They didn't pull it off, and that's why they put this TV show on tonight. They're trying to make you feel sorry for her, and I guess hoping some way, somehow it trickles down to a jury coming up next January.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts on this is six one seven, two thirty. Let's go to Mary in debt Him. Mary, what do you think?
Speaker 6: On WBZ hi, I think she's Jesus, has this smirky attitude all the time. To me, I always have wondered why when they pulled up, when she got out of the car, she automatically knew it was him. She didn't know if it could have been somebody else. She just said, there he is. And that's what's always made me wonder about her. My other thought is, I don't think all the people in the house would try to cover something up, because eventually somebody would let it out. If they're else, you know, if they drink, it would come out. I don't think I wouldn't lie for somebody, and I don't think you could get that many people to lie about saying he wasn't in the house. And I think being in I live in Debtham and I saw the protests every day and it was how to get through the town. They took over the town, and I think a lot of this is super Turtle Boy, and he's going to keep it going right through January.
Speaker 3: You know, well, it's definitely become media driven. It's a circus now, it really is. I mean, it's a three ring circus. It's interesting. A lot of people marry that I've spoken to any particular attorneys, some very influential I shouldn't say influential, successful defense attorneys in this town. I agree with you that it is very difficult to keep that many people in line. So if he was murdered in the basement, you have a number of people that are drinking that night and they all have to stick to the same story, and that's hard to do. The one thing that still makes me wonder is moving out of the house and painting the floor.
Speaker 2: It just looks suspicious to me.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: And they were planning to move though originally.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I you know, that's what I hear. But it's just.
Speaker 6: I think if they painted it when you see all these programs, wouldn't they been able to go with that was alluminoll to show. If it was some they wouldn't have be able to cover up all the blood.
Speaker 3: No, No, you're probably right, You're right, You're probably right, you know, I just like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like, I like the drama of it.
Speaker 3: A lot of a lot of people would have to keep their mouth shut for the story of him being killed in the basement.
Speaker 2: I understand that. I get that.
Speaker 3: Then I go back to, well, all the injuries were with his head and not the rest of the body.
Speaker 2: So if you're hit by a truck, how can you only get hurt in the head. I don't know. Yeah, I don't know, because.
Speaker 6: They were rocks into something that you know, you know, And this is what I do know. She go mad. I mean, she has an attitude. She calls that yeah, oh my gosh, and crawling up so many times afterwards that could make it feel like if I keep calling them, they'll think I wasn't there, or you know whatever. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call, Mary, I appreciate it. Six one, seven, two, five, ten thirty is the telephone. Let's go to Joanne. Joanne, did you watch tonight? Did you change your mind? What do you think?
Speaker 8: I don't know her and I don't care, but I know people I know girls. One is my daughter who has had bad experiences with cops on the South Shore. And they're finally going to get what they deserve, okay, all of them, and they can cover it up all they want, but the FBI is here and the Justice of Commons. They'll never be a trial in January, including Auntie Bev over there. They're all related, the incestuous sickos. That's all they have to say.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you for the phone call. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: And you're right, the feds are involved. The Feds are looking around, and there's a reason for it. So that's going to be interesting too.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if the federal investigation would halt the trial in January. I'm not so sure how that would work. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Did you watch the special tonight on ABC? Did you see Karen Reid speak? Did it change your mind about her?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: You pro Karen read before and now that you've seen her speak and you saw the you know, basically the mad TV the television event so she can proclaim her innocence. Did that turn you against her? Fernando and Carver, you're up on WBC's Night Side.
Speaker 2: Hey Elijah, what's up kid?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 7: Quick?
Speaker 9: Just a theory? Do you think there's a financial move on this by her selling her story obviously ABC to help her financial defense.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, that is.
Speaker 2: A terrific question. I will tell you this.
Speaker 3: I don't think twenty twenty pays for stories like this is ABC News, Fernando, very good question.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that one was it's ABC News.
Speaker 2: I would say no, Okay.
Speaker 9: The other question is do you think that is Alan Jackson move? Because he comes across as very I would say I don't think that this persona helps her because she's a very strong woman, but so is he. And I think he's playing calling up the district attorney, you know, having people there, having the crowds there, it almost I don't know if they're having him on the team actually hurts her, to be honest with.
Speaker 3: You, it's a great point, and you have to wonder because he's a Hollywood guy trying to play an LA.
Speaker 2: Game in New England, correct, and it could cost her.
Speaker 3: And based on our attorney experts earlier on Bill Kick Him and Bob George, it has cost her. They feel he screwed up. But that's also her ego. That's her ego wanting a guy to come in from LA. You know, with that type of resume. She's she's definitely intoxicated with the attention. There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: For now.
Speaker 3: No, thanks for the phone call, buddy, I appreciate it. Onn WBC six one, seven, two, five thirty. She could sell her story at some point. I don't think that many money exchanged because it's an ABC News presentation. That wouldn't happen if there's a document if there is some she could tell her sell her story to Netflix. She could sell her story to Hulu, something along those lines. Now, I do know there's a there is a documentary coming out on this that I do know. A documentary is more of a news type of situation. She could sell her story for a book, you know what. She could sell her story and become a pro wrestler. Who the hell knows, but i'll tell you right now. If she spends a year in jail, when she comes out, she's gonna make money. And some people would say, you know, it's spending a year and if women's prison, it's worth it because of all the dollar signs you're gonna see later on because she will sell she she I mean, I think there's already a movie being made right.
Speaker 2: I think Turner boys involved in that. Stephen Bridgewater, you're up on WBZ, Hi Gary, Steve, how are you?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 10: Gary just got to quickly say, you know you were mentioning about the injuries were on the face. I watched the program tonight and in the courtroom they showed a picture of all these scratches all over one of his arms. So don't you got a question where that comes from? That doesn't I'm not I'm not. I don't do our topsies, but that doesn't that doesn't look like all those scratches don't look like it comes from being hit by a car. You know, he couldn't be dragged along the ground because there was snow that night. It was a heavy snowstorm. So I just want to know what your opinion is about that picture. They showed up his arm all well scratched up or even dog bites.
Speaker 9: They think, well, that's.
Speaker 3: What they said that there was a dog that has now been put down, you know, by the family that owned the house. There was a dog that allegedly or the defense has attacked him in the house now right, and that's why he had the scratches on the arm. Now you could spin this forward and this is where you can get out of control. Why would a dog attack him in the house. This dog has been violent in.
Speaker 2: The past, that's according to reports.
Speaker 3: Was there an altercation, did he get in a fight? Did the dog come to the defense of his owner?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, the the.
Speaker 2: Whole thing.
Speaker 3: There's still so many unanswered questions that I don't think we're ever gonna know.
Speaker 2: But as our defense, I agree.
Speaker 10: But with all these inconsistencies, I'm listening to this not is it Jura? But if I was sitting there in the Jura room, I would probably be more confused than I am now, and I would have to fight. I would acquit her based on what I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Steve, you're it's a good call because I think that that was the intent of the defense initially, and I think it backfired.
Speaker 2: I think it backfired because I got too confusing.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call, Steve, Good stuff, Jack and Newton and Lizen Esposs and we're going to get to you guys next. Did you see the television the infomercial on Karen read tonight on ABC? Did it change your mind about her guilt or her innocence?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: At six one seven, two thirty, and we'll take some calls on this on WBC's Night Side.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w b Z, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 3: Cal teks a lot Buddy six seven two four, ten thirty. Did you watch the Karen Reid Infomershall.
Speaker 2: On twenty twenty tonight?
Speaker 3: What did you think? Did it change your mind about the case? Was it a good move? We had a couple of great defense attorneys, Bill and Bob our defense attorney experts, Bill kick Them and Bob George. They wouldn't have done it. They think the whole thing has got totally blown out of proportion. They should have just said, prove that I proved that your client killed them, and forget about all these other theories. It just mucked the whole thing up. I think it was a desperate move. I think they feeled they needed to put her out in the public. They needed to try to impact the jury because everybody's going to see this in January, because she could get convicted in January. I don't think it's going to be the second degree murder though. Let's grab some calls on this, Jack and Newton, You're on WBZ.
Speaker 7: I'm Jack Porter. I'm a sociologist and criminologist, but I commented on a lot of trials. This is a very well done production. It wasn't an inn full commercial.
Speaker 2: Well I'm joking.
Speaker 7: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: So what did you think? I mean, did it work? Did it help work?
Speaker 7: I don't think the person of what it worked. They were very balanced and they tried to show both sides and they did a very good job. I would say what Dan Ray always does. You can be not innocent but not found but that's not found guilty. It isn't in not being found not guilty and not being innocent. I think that she hit him, she was drunk, angry, she hit him, she didn't she took off. He dies in the snow, and that's that it wasn't intentional. It wasn't criminal that it happened. But that's that's one element. The other element is that the jury will think there's enough reasonable doubt, as Dan would say, to not convict her. So it's like the O. J. Simpson trial, Right, he was guilty, right, but he was found not guilty.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean she wasn't found guilty or innocent. I mean it's a mistrial. She's still got to go back again in the second time around. The odds are against her. Do you think what you watch tonight helped her cause in any way?
Speaker 7: Oh it's hard to say. I think it helped his cause. He came across as a very fine person with a great family. She came across you know, maybe whatever. There could be a bit of misogyny there. You know, people look at her as this bright woman, a no over concert end et cetera, you know, smiling. I don't know, she came across this kind of vulnerabile. I didn't like what the words that she used. Don't swear words, you know, you frim there said, Why would she want to say that? If she know she loves the guy and she cares about the guy, why is she saying that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, relationship, yeah, Jack, relationships are complicated.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the call, buddy. Let's go to live in Boston, East Boston. Let's go to listen easty. What do you got, Liz? Did you watch it tonight?
Speaker 11: I did not. I'm rushing home to watch it now, but I see, you know the I saw the commercial on television, and right off the back she comes off as unlikable to me. I think she's guilty. I've watched the entire trial and listen to it. I do think she got paid.
Speaker 3: I don't think she Liz, why do you say she got Do you think she get paid for this thing from ABC?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I mean, why would you do it for nothing?
Speaker 3: No, you can't. I don't, I don't. I can just tell you. Listen, that's a good question. Why would she do it? I don't think you know what, I don't think she got paid because if it's an ABC News production, it's against it's against their principles to pay people.
Speaker 11: No, I'm pretty sure people get paid for being on twenty twenty. Why else would she do it? She's desperate for money. I don't think Alan Jackson's coming back.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting. Why why do you think that's the case.
Speaker 11: Well, because, well, because she's got that photo of her and him to noodlings that CMC without. Also, she's out of money, and it's gonna be a harder case. It's gonna be a harder defense now because now the state, you know, they're gonna get it right this time.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see.
Speaker 11: And I don't think she can and she can't sell her story because I'm pretty sure there's a law against convicted murderers capitalizing on their crime.
Speaker 5: If she's convicted, her story, if.
Speaker 3: She's convicted of murder, Oh, you think she's gonna hit second degree?
Speaker 2: You think she cant a second degree.
Speaker 11: I don't think he's gonna get a second degree. She's gonna get manslaughter. But still she can't capitalize on that.
Speaker 2: Well, she'll be.
Speaker 3: In jail, so she won't have to believe me, there's a way around it. She's set up to be a reality TV star.
Speaker 11: Listen, I don't think she's said that kind of charisma. What did you think about her tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm on the radio. I could only watch her. I don't think she's likable.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at it visually as it's happening. I don't think she's likable. But I do think if she goes to jail for a year, when she comes out, she's getting a TV deal.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you she can't.
Speaker 11: There's a lot get Liz.
Speaker 12: She can't get paid. That's a bunch of no. She can't get paid. She can make a living. She can't sell her story, but she can get a TV deal. She can be on TV. She could do a talk show.
Speaker 11: I don't think she's that kind of personality. I think she's I think, you know, if I was her, I would just crawl into a hole and just try to get past us. And you know, she does a couple of years in prison, which I think she deserves more. I mean, I don't think she meant to hit him, but to lie and come up with this story and drag all these other people into it. You know, I feel bad for Jnald. He's family and friends. You know what's more plausible. She hit him by accident and took off and he died in the snow. Or he went in the house into big expiracy and the dog did it, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Come on, there's a lot of chew on. There's a lot to chew on. But I still look at her, but I still but I still look at the injuries, and I don't know if those injuries are conducive to get well.
Speaker 11: You don't know what happened to him when he hit the ground. There was a broken glass there. He could have tried to you know, who knows what happened after she left. He could have tried to stand up, but there was no canine DNA on his arm, I mean the arm thing. When I saw that photo, that's when I was like, oh, whoa, that doesn't look like a car accident. But you know, we just don't know. He could have been stumbling, struggling to get up with just that poole guy died.
Speaker 3: And well that's another point, is that a police a police officer.
Speaker 2: Died, and we need to keep track of that. Thanks Liz, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 5: Well, he was a good man, good from all all accounts he was.
Speaker 4: From all all right, thank you.
Speaker 3: All right, go home and watch it. Go home and check out the television show tonight. Oh let's go to Aden Mansfield ed. You're up on WBZ. Did you watch the show tonight in twenty twenty?
Speaker 5: Yeah, some most of it, would you think. I don't think it changed the thing, But I don't think twenty twenty really got into the evidence. And I think a lot of people making these comments that she's guilty and just haven't looked at the evidence. I mean, throwing away phones, denying butt texts, butt texts, phone calls and texts and everything else, all these lies from all these witnesses. Two people put John in the house. Okay, Ally, McKay put him in the house. Higgins put him in the house as a doc tall male that he couldn't recognize because he has a profit with the FEDS. I mean, come on, people, look at the evidence. It's ridiculous. It's all piled up against the prosecution.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, he could have been in the house. But he could have been in the house, but then he could have left the house.
Speaker 5: Right, look at the length of a tail and look at the length of the injuries on his I.
Speaker 2: Agree with you, I mean, ed, I agree.
Speaker 3: I don't think the injuries matched the big I don't think the injuries matched the ACMO and the.
Speaker 5: Dogs rehomed and the dog to dog was moved from the house that night because Jim McKay bodged into the house that night and the dog did not make a sound. Okay, if you followed this real close, you would be a no brain that she's not guilty and other people are. And I think the FEDS will uncover it, just like they did the Sandra birch Mark case. And why did they do a grand jury? And this is why it will come out all right?
Speaker 2: Good call ered.
Speaker 3: I I can't I cannot either way.
Speaker 2: There are just many, many questions.
Speaker 3: I think what we have, what we did learn is that if the process, if the defense had just simply said proved.
Speaker 2: That she did it, she would have got out. And I think that they.
Speaker 5: Can pretty much should they only put six witnesses update Eric, right, I know they Why didn't they put the plow driver on the show last tonight?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Why wouldn't they Why.
Speaker 5: Because he's the key to the whole case. Do you know what it's like driving a plow in the snow with those lights? The snow reflects lights, you can see everything like it's FAMI Way park, right, come on, stop it?
Speaker 3: But but that, but that would have been for her cause why didn't they put put them on?
Speaker 5: Because this is all tailed to the way the show wants to do it. They want to be even which what you can understand, you know, because you know they got a family with a dead cop, but the families don't know in the evidence too. I don't know why. They're just too tied to these people that did it. I agree, it's it's it's sad.
Speaker 3: It's sad because a dead police police officer died, which is which is totally tragic. There's still a lot of questions that and you raise good you raise good points. I don't understand why they wouldn't have put the plow driver in this because I think that's a key part.
Speaker 2: And I would think that a would want to do that.
Speaker 5: He witness to the whole case.
Speaker 3: And well maybe maybe he chose, maybe he didn't want to do it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. All right, And thanks for the call, buddy. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, all right, Well, pretty much putting the wraps on tonight here in WBZ and putting the raps on the week.
Speaker 2: Of filling in for Dan Ray.
Speaker 3: Don't worry you, Dan Ray fanatics. He will be back on Monday. Order will be restored. Order will be restored. We've got a few minutes left if you want to jump on, if you have any comics tonight on what happened with the television program on ABC in twenty twenty? Did to change a mile in a mind? It all about Karen Reid? Was it a good move by the defense? They really haven't played it smart so far. And will it have any impact on the trial. I don't see how it can't. I think it all comes down to likability and the more she exposes herself publicly, and I mean that by doing television shows like this and showing her personality, people may not like her. And if one of those if somebody gets in the jury that saw the show and lies and doesn't like her, that's not good. Silence may have been the best way to go in this route, but people don't seem to like that. People don't want to keep their mouth shut. People want to be entertainers, they want to be stars, they want to sign autographs. She's definitely intoxicated with the attention, that is for sure.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 3: Some final thoughts coming up next to here on wbz's Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: It's been a blast filling in for Dan this week. Thank you very much for having patience with me. Thank you very much for calling in, Thank you for listening. I would like to thank Rob Brooks doing a wonderful job directing, running master control, getting the studio ready. He does so many things while around here. Marita LaRosa, the producer, doing an outstanding job in lighting up our guests. So I greatly appreciate all of the efforts here, and for Bill Flaherty for basically just letting me coming in the building. And Karen Bussemi, I want to thank her.
Speaker 2: She produced our.
Speaker 3: Show on Monday Night here on WBC. Just want to revisit one of the topics we had tonight. As you know if you have listened to this program a lot. I love movies, I love film I act in them, I write them, have friends involved in the business. And the Boston Film Festival is coming up September nineteenth through the twenty.
Speaker 2: First, and you really should check it out.
Speaker 3: And really, the film industry right now, it's weird. It is really weird a lot of it because of the strike with SAG last year. Streaming, the streamers aren't putting money into it, and when a streamer develops a movie, it doesn't really work well.
Speaker 2: They don't do it as as well as the studio system.
Speaker 3: They do a very good job with television series, but they rust the production of the movie and it shows because there's not a lot of great movies that originate on streaming. The one with Matt Damon and Casey Affleck was pretty good.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good, But.
Speaker 3: For some reason, the streamers do a better job with the series than they do the films. So I think that independent films are going to make a huge comeback because when you go through the film process and you have someone take their time and do the writing and do the casting, it takes a long time to make a very good movie. It really does. It does. It's not easy. You can't rush it, and you have to catch the magic in front of the camera. And a lot of the times it happens with an independent filmmaker because they take a chance. They a chance, and there have been some terrific films that have opened up here in Boston. I didn't know green Brook did, directed by the great Peter Fairleigh from Marshville, Massachusetts and Proba by way of Providence College. I didn't know what opened up here. Jojo Rabbert, Jojo Rabbit. He tried to say, opened up here North Country. Richard Jenkins from Providence, Rhode Island with a key playing the father of Oh God. I just blanked the main character, the star of the movie. It'll come back to me when I'm off the radio driving home Common ground Wreck, William for a Dream. The Boston Film Festival has also had some terrific talents. Sam Rockwell's been here, Colooney, Aaron Eckhartsell, Melissa Leo, who I love, remember she was in The Fighter, Lady Garcia, Greg Cadeer, Shane Black, terrific writer, Uma Thurman, Sir Ridley Scott, Sam Magdez, Tony Goldwood, Chris Evans, Pride to Subury, Massachusetts, Al Pacino, Jeff Bridges at I did, Steve Martin so good job for the Boston Film Festival and Robin Dawson their fortieth anniversary, and that is really saying something. And then there's a terrific little movie that I think is really going to pick up a lot of interest. It's called any Day Now. It's directed and written by Erica Ronson. He's a guy that spens spent a lot of time in Hollywood working with Johnny Depp. Has written a movie for Johnny Depp, guy that got his chops out in la and he came home and he shot a movie here, directed it, wrote it and it's about his version of what happened in the Gardner Museum Heights.
Speaker 2: It is funny as hell. It's great. I like to play a clip for you right now, rob Let's roll it Today's you like your Day? I have William Man. You do me a favor, I'll take cure of your death.
Speaker 7: I don't know where you're working.
Speaker 2: We're gonna rob the museum. We're gonna need your help, and so are you. Like a gangster, guss are like sheep. They have to answer up for everything they do. I want to do something, I do it.
Speaker 6: There's nothing someone in the trunk is there?
Speaker 2: Don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: That's great stuff. Paul Guilford from Boston, mass who's a terrific actor. Fourteen years on CSI. My wife loved that show CSI Vegas. He played the cop. It was great, perfect. Now Paul may have a neck in real life, but when he played I should look up. The guy John I forgot his last name, played the detective on CSI.
Speaker 2: He didn't have a neck.
Speaker 3: It was camelin tough just but in this movie he has an ec and he's very funny, very witty. And this movie's gonna pick up some steam. That's my prediction. It's gonna pick up It's definitely gonna it's going to pick up some steam. So I want you to check it out. He plays Marty Taylor Gray. He plays Steve. He's the young worker at the museum who Guilfoyl, who's playing Marty, recruits to help him with the Gardener Museum heist. And Taylor Gray is also going to be playing Al Franken in the SNL movie that's coming out in October that I can't wait to see. If you heard about this, and it seems to me I've seen the trailer and I think the whole movie is just about the opening night of Saturday Night Live in nineteen seventy five, where Lorne Michaels started a show that changed everything, chain everything. I mean, was it forty five years now? I think I think he probably goes to fifty and calls it a day. I can't imagine SNL not being on the air now. Very few of us stay up late enough on Saturday Night to watch it. We watch all the clips on YouTube. But they keep every the stars keep, from Chevy Chase to the guys that do the news. Now with Colin and Michael, they're hilarious now they weren't at first. Remember they have to work in and win, work their way in it. Everybody everybody always does, and now they're awesome. But you can watch all the clips on Instagram are supposed to stay up late. I cannot remember this is but to stay up late to do this show. This is the this is it. I don't think I've actually seen the SNL news section live in a long time. We may have to go back to, like what Norm McDonald did. Nobody did it like Norm though, Colin you know, Colin Jos and Michael Shea, Michael Jay. I love those guys. But Norm was the Norm McDonald was the best, the absolute best.
Speaker 2: He was nails, he was money. I mean the way he went after O. J. Simpson. Oh, just simply he was the best, the best.
Speaker 3: I I know Fallon did it, Tina Fey did it, and he Pohler did it. Uh, Seth Myers did it. Dennis Miller, thank you. Dennis Miller was before Norm, right or was he after Norm? He was before Norm before Norm. And he was good too. I mean, Chevy Chase was the original, right, Jane, You ignorant slut, I'm quoting somebody. I'm quoting SNL. Don't get me in trouble. Dennis Miller had that really wise type of sarcastic uh. And he was terrible on Monday Night football. God, what a disaster that was. But Norm McDonald for me was the best. He was just cutting, just biting. Had a chance to meet Norm once, saw him do live stand up out at Hampton Beach Casino and hung with them after he did a doubt about three Red Bulls at like midnight. Love to talk sports, loved gambling, just so freaking funny man. What a great law what I said, A loss with Norm MacDonald, my god, one of the best, one of the He was like the comedians, comedian comedians just so looked up to that guy. Well, it's going to do it for the Tangoe week. Some of you, I'm sure are relieved, uh and uh. Order will be restored, the adult will be back in the room as danuy returns on Monday. Thank you Monigha hangers box. Excuse me, it's late, Monica tax Saving Experts. She joined us from Decision Financial Services to talk taxes earlier in the evening. Jackson, Tolliver, Robin Dawson, Erica Ronson, Bill Kicking, Bob George, thank you everybody. Great job Rob. We'll see you later. This has been nice. Hat on WBZ