Speaker 1: Hey, peeps.
Speaker 2: I'm Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and.
Speaker 1: Grim, a true crime podcast morning The following podcast material audience, listen. Do you like that the peeps, hey peeps, hey peeps throwing it to our our blooper that was accidentally left in there on last episode?
Speaker 2: Accidentally? How awkward? You don't even know when I texted you.
Speaker 1: Well because you listened to the episode before me. And I'm madly like editing these sometimes so fast to try and get them up there that I miss things. But like we're we're trying to be authentic, We're trying to be entertaining and not try too hard but still want it. We're trying. So it's this big mix of like we're always awkwardly like what should we say at the beginning?
Speaker 2: Should start? And then you judge how I usually start it?
Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, if you listen back to it, I was like, no, like, it's cool you say peeps.
Speaker 2: I don't judge.
Speaker 1: I wasn't judgy. I was just questioning, making sure it was okay and that we were good.
Speaker 2: But honestly, if I were like to walk up to a group of people, I'd probably say, hey, peeps.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've ever heard you say hey peeps.
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel like I would.
Speaker 1: I don't think i've ever heard you say that word in your life.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you want me to every episode be like.
Speaker 1: Hey, you'd be like suck dog? Hey dudes, Hey dudes, you've said that.
Speaker 2: I would say that, But then I feel like that's too much.
Speaker 1: So what you actually say in the real world is too much. But what you make up is just perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got it. That's how I feel.
Speaker 1: That's how you roll. Well, how you roll is also talking to a local artist about getting that stuff done for our giveaway coming up.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think you'll be soon. They're in the works.
Speaker 1: They're like being made right now, right, Yeah, because you've been talking to her about it. Should we tell them who or what it is that's going on? Should we give them a little bit of a snippet?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's so freaking cool that we're actually probably going to keep to ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're definitely going to be keeping a couple of them for I feel like that's enough.
Speaker 2: Oh, you just dropped a real bomb.
Speaker 1: I thought you didn't hear that, but I did.
Speaker 2: You gave me a side either, So yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Going to keep a couple for ourselves. If you didn't hear what I said, you might need to go back.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be really cool though, Like, Okay, I've actually told a couple of people, Oh you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well thanks for telling me that I could tell people.
Speaker 2: I think I told one or two. That's only a couple, and they thought it was super cool.
Speaker 1: Well I think it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So hopefully we'll be able to just like let everyone know soon enough. So that's not soon enough, maybe next episode, maybe maybe can This is super exciting what you got jury summon I.
Speaker 1: Did actually because I was not excited at first. I'm like, oh, I don't want to like go to court for someone's traffic ticket. But I was just thinking there actually was a homicide in town just like a week or two ago, so this could be for an actual cool case.
Speaker 2: Well, I I guess I had a photo shoot that day and they had to postpone, so I bet I bet you there's lots of people going out to a lot, so it could be a big one. But I'm so jelly because I got summoned earlier this year and I had to turn it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one probably would have been like a traffic far And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was thinking it's gonna be super cool because I actually think it'd be awesome to go on jury summon's butt or beat on injury. But it would have to be like an exciting like someone got murdered real bad.
Speaker 1: That has the potential to go on a long time though.
Speaker 2: Too, it can, but it would be like very interesting. It would actually probably be a little boring, not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we'll see. I'm gonna I'm gonna hum it over and make sure that I can with work, you know, that sort of thing, because I don't think I get paid for the jury duty with my work, so I know you gotta figure that out.
Speaker 2: That sucks. But I don't think that's an excuse you can use.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Actually, I don't think they can make you if you like need the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can't put you in like hardship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all I have to do is say, like, no, sir, I'm gonna be po Otherwise he's the jobbies only clothes. This is the mark of a house self.
Speaker 2: I bet you they would actually be Okay with that excuse, there probably got one. You got one.
Speaker 1: I think I want to do it, though I know I think you should.
Speaker 2: I opened super cool.
Speaker 1: We'll see, we'll find out. I'll keep you guys in the loop.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I got a short but sweet case for you today.
Speaker 1: Sweet love it.
Speaker 2: It's not it's not very sweet though. Oh it's actually really shitty.
Speaker 1: It's bitter, the bitter end of the bitter sweet.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Just shit, it's just.
Speaker 2: Shit, It's just shit. Okay, Yes, we dropped a real ba last time last episode. The case is on Russell Maurice Johnson, which I said is also known as the Bedroom Strangler.
Speaker 1: I forgot all about that up until this exact moment when you said the bedroom Strangler. Is like, oh, right, that's what you said.
Speaker 2: That name alone is terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: So who is Russell Sosse?
Speaker 1: That's her brother in law, right Russell?
Speaker 2: No, thank god, this is not our different Russell.
Speaker 1: Different Russell.
Speaker 2: So he was born in nineteen forty seven, and he is a serial killer, Oh and a rapist. Just throwing those right out there.
Speaker 1: For ye, that's not something you want to see on someone's Resme and a job interview.
Speaker 2: Russell suffered from mental health issues beginning at a very young age. His family actually had a history of mental illness. He also experienced a lot of trauma as a child, including being a victim of sexual abuse himself when he was fourteen years old.
Speaker 1: Dang, that's not cool.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's an excuse for his actions? Though?
Speaker 1: No, definitely not.
Speaker 2: I know, no, no, I mean, like.
Speaker 1: That whole situation, like anyone is a victim of sexual abuse or abuse or anything like that. That's just straight up not cool. It's not but it doesn't mean you can go do it to someone else. Two wrongs don't make it right.
Speaker 2: And it's so interesting now lefts do make it right. Sorry, it's interesting to me though, because you hear what that often that sex offenders or whatever were abused themselves as a child, and so you feel like that you think they would never do that to someone else, but it does happen. So it's just it's interesting to me.
Speaker 1: I don't know, yeah, I don't know why. I can only imagine what's going on in someone's head like that, Like it's they're only perpetuating the problem, They're causing someone else to go through what they went through, but maybe you think that like it because you're so impressionable when you're young. Maybe it like left that impression on you where it's like you think it's okay, or maybe you feel like that's like maybe you liked it, or you're supposed to like it, like you were told, like as when you were being abused, like oh, like shut up, you like it. It's it's good, right, So maybe there's something in the back of your mind being like, well, no, I should like it. This is what I should be doing because that's what you're just.
Speaker 2: Creates them to be like some sort of psychopath to some because I know tons it happens, and that they are able to go through day to day life. I mean, I'm sure they're scarred, but like there's a small of them that maybe it just turned them into some sort of psycho.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what I'm trying to trying to say, Just I'm trying to understand the psychology behind it. See where you're going, Okay, it messed them up so bad that there's this piece of them that thinks.
Speaker 2: That yeah, maybe that is Hey, I don't know, we have to we have to talk to like a psychologist about this.
Speaker 1: You're gonna say, we'll have to talk to a rapist about this.
Speaker 2: No, I'd rather talk to a psychologist if that's okay. Yeah, oh Man Russell was an automotive clerk by day working at Ford, and a bouncer by night. He also enjoyed weightlifting as a hobby, needed it for his other hobby of being a murderer. And you'll soon find out why dun dun dun.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, like him being a weightlifter would be good because you know, all the ford's broken down on the side of.
Speaker 2: The road and he's going, oh wow, you're going there.
Speaker 1: Eh, I'm not that kind of person. I just wanted to make that joke though.
Speaker 2: You're not that kind of person. So he was described as also being obsessed with cleanliness and was a compulsive hand washer. I'm like, I like him because I'm a little bit of a germophobe. I don't know if people know that, but like not in a weird way. I don't think, am.
Speaker 1: I you you use purel five years ago like people do today during COVID.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, Like sometimes I'll even wash my hands in like a public bathroom and then like come out and use hands.
Speaker 1: Annie, What do you mean Sometimes that's like every time.
Speaker 2: I swear to God I'm not Russell. Oh but yeah, no, I I think cleanliness is good.
Speaker 1: Cleanliness is good, o CD is okay.
Speaker 2: I have a bit of OCD with hand cleanliness. So this whole like now that we don't ever have to shake people's hand again, I'm like, actually okay with us.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like a thing that can just go away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people in general, Earth can go away.
Speaker 2: He began attacking and raping women in as early as nineteen sixty nine, but it wasn't until nineteen seventy three that he began also murdering them, and that lasted until nineteen seventy seven. Whoa it lasted so long because the first few murders he committed went undetected and were deemed as non suspicious deaths.
Speaker 1: Really, how did he get How did he manage that?
Speaker 2: You'll find out the first four.
Speaker 1: The first four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's real shit.
Speaker 1: He's got a rap sheet.
Speaker 2: So what he would do is he would stalk his victims, break into their homes and watch them sleep for hours on end hours hours, Oh my gosh, like I mean, I think I go into this more. But there would be even like cases were some got away and they would like, wake up, did this person just like staring at them?
Speaker 1: The fuck?
Speaker 2: I would literally shit my pants.
Speaker 1: Could could you imagine if that was me and I woke up to that? Okay, a little bit of a backstory here. If I get like abruptly woken up and like something's wrong, I have a fight or flight instinct that kicks in and I do not I do not run. It's not flight, it's a fight instinct. I am ready to.
Speaker 2: Like you're ready to roll, like you're there.
Speaker 1: There was a few years ago our alarm went off because Nicole is going to work and she accidentally set up the alarm the front door, so the alarm the house just starts going off. I was on night shift, so I was only sleeping for like three hours at this point. I came barreling down the stairs and my underwear fists pulled back ready to knock someone out.
Speaker 2: Like it was quite a sight, Like I wish I had that on video. I should have reenacted it.
Speaker 1: I can still vividly remember that I was like at the bottom them the stairs, my fist and I was like I was still af asleep and like what is going on? But I was ready to go.
Speaker 2: See I am not that type of person, I don't think. But I also have absolutely no idea what I would do if someone was like staring at my face when I woke up, Like, just think about that, people.
Speaker 1: What do you do when the dogs do it to you?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Then I get up and they know they have to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Just a husky staring in their face inches away.
Speaker 2: So honestly, like this whole story, I feel like that is the most creepiest shit.
Speaker 1: I just can't that's messed up.
Speaker 2: Okay. So yeah, I have women awake in their beds in the middle of the night to a strange man looking down at them. In some cases, he would slip away, leaving them terrified and wondering how he got past their locked doors.
Speaker 1: Like oh yeah, no kidding, how do you just slip away? Like I just imagine him like shit.
Speaker 2: Well, probably because these people are just like frozen into bed, like what the frig's happening here? And then he just is like.
Speaker 1: Peace later, alligator, see you tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: Okay. So what he would do? So how he would do this is he would scale the outside walls of the apartments and we're like talking numerous stories and enter through the balconies.
Speaker 1: Oh geez.
Speaker 2: So there was even one article where he scaled an apartment as high as fifteen, like fifteen floors, he went to the top.
Speaker 1: You got to give him credit. He's dedicated.
Speaker 2: Well, so he was weightlifter, right, Like, he's really strong. You had to be a strong guy for this. And like, honestly, if you lived at floor fifteen, would you worry about locking your balcony? No?
Speaker 1: Probably not?
Speaker 2: Now would you? No?
Speaker 1: Probably not. I mean I would like to say yes, but I would probably be the guy laying in bed being like, no, it's fine, I'm not gonna get up, Kate, walk it do.
Speaker 2: What's funny actually, because the last time I was at a hotel, I was like fourth floor and I had that moment I was like, oh, like do I really even not need to like lock the door? And then in my head I was like, fuck, guy, I do. But this was even before I researched this would be one of those people locking my balcony door.
Speaker 1: Are you're certainly going to be now?
Speaker 2: Oh? I was before Okay, So After watching his victims sleep, he would then sexually assault them and suffocate them in no particular order, meaning the sexual assault may have happened post mortem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is maybe nasty.
Speaker 2: That's called okay, what is that called necrofactelia? Yeah, like that's nasty.
Speaker 1: It's just nasty human behavior, regardless the whole fucking thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, this is like a wild ride here.
Speaker 1: This dude's trash.
Speaker 2: Russell murdered a total of seven women and non fatally assaulted eleven other women. The murder the murdering started with Mary Hicks in London, Ontario, on October nineteenth, nineteen seventy three. Mary was a student, was a student and was only twenty years old, which is actually really shitty and young and how old.
Speaker 1: Was Russell at this time? Sorry?
Speaker 2: What are you going to make me do? Math?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: So he was zorn in nineteen forty seven and that murder happened in nineteen seventy three. Oh no, she was like thirty ish, so that's like twenty six or so.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was only going down a lot.
Speaker 2: Now people know how bad a math we are.
Speaker 1: Do you really want me to mathod ope, because it's just rounding to decades.
Speaker 2: No, we're talking about poor Mary and how she was twenty years old, and like I mentioned earlier, her death was not suspicious and attributed to an allergic reaction to medication. She was found in a natural sleeping position with no obvious signs of violence to her body. Next was Alice Rawstone, only a month later, on November thirtieth, nineteen seventy three. She was found in her Gwelf apartment and again had no obvious signs of violence, so her death was attributed to a condition of hardened arteries.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what I'm assuming she was most likely suffocated as well, right Like there there's obvious signs of aphyxiation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but okay, like we'll get into this more actually really soon here. But they were all like positioned in bed, like they just died of natural kind of thing.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like they at least did somewhat of autopsies.
Speaker 2: Like not always well they I don't know, Okay, right here, I was just about to say he was really good at tidying and cleaning the scenes, putting his victims back in bed to make it right again. So he would like tuck them into bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if self they're doing autopsies, you'd think they'd be able to find it correct, the correct the cause of But would they.
Speaker 2: Be looking at like someone being like losing their airway, Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's obvious signs of it though, like obvious signs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they went undetected because.
Speaker 1: There's like there's some playing blood vessels and stuff on the face and around the mouth. There's gonna be fibers within the airway and in the way.
Speaker 2: They have known all this in the seventies probably, Hey, I would assume, so, yeah, it was a while ago, so.
Speaker 1: I would assume they're probably not doing autopsies. They're probably just being like, h she probably just died in her sleep. But how would they know hardening arteries?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Well, And to the other one, what was it? It was a medication, right, allergic reaction to medication.
Speaker 1: See that one though they could attribute that to exphyxiation because I mean's swelling of the throat or something like that. Yeah, so that one there, But hardening arteries, I don't really know.
Speaker 2: What hardening arteries is. I meant to look up.
Speaker 1: That's like a pound of bacon with three eggs and like French toast.
Speaker 2: With remember that man sandwich you used to make, even made that for her own man, which the man which had I even had that.
Speaker 1: I think I made you eat it once.
Speaker 2: Oh I want to have it again.
Speaker 1: It just tastes like Greece literally, Okay.
Speaker 2: So, like I said, he would clean up the crime scenes and in one thing he I even read and I don't have this in my notes, but he would like clean it up and put them back in bed because he would be worried that they would be mad at him, which.
Speaker 1: Is just fucked that's weird.
Speaker 2: And so this all made the investigators think the deaths were of natural causes or accidents. In one case too, he even like did their dishes for them. What he like, he was a neat freak, right, So he yeah, killed them, put them back in bed, and then went and like cleaned up their whole damn apartment, including doing their damn dishes.
Speaker 1: That's that's a whole new kind of fucked up. I know, it's like I'm gonna kill you, but I dish.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do your dishes because they're bothering me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he missed the spot, so he did.
Speaker 2: The same thing with his next two victims. March fourth, nineteen seventy four. Russell's next victim would be Eleanor Hartwick. She died at her home in London, with the cause of death being reaction to prescription drugs. Russell apparently posed her with a book in her hand to make it look like she had fallen asleep while reading.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, sad, he's in depth.
Speaker 2: Next was Doris Brown. She was forty nine years old, and this one's like pretty sad. She was a mother of two and it was her daughter who found her in the morning of her sixteenth birthday.
Speaker 1: Oh no, because.
Speaker 2: She was expecting her mom to wake her up because they were going to go get her driver's license yeap, And it was quite late and she finally woke up and went into her mom's room and found found this.
Speaker 1: No, that's oh wow, like that's sweet sixteen sad. Hey, well, that's brutal.
Speaker 2: And this is even crazier. Slight traces of blood were found underneath or beneath Doris's body, but police weren't notified notified like the family didn't notify them because there was absolutely no signs of violence. But I was like, oh my gosh. And the doctor told the daughter there was absolutely no signs. Oh what the heck am I saying?
Speaker 1: Here lost your place?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, I actually wrote it down really wrong. There was no signs of like why she died that he said it almost looked like a crib death, like a like when like newborns die with no reason. It was an completely unexplained death, so that one they had no reasoning. Yeah, weird, and they were searching so if she was like, see, that's why it's kind of confusing.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, because you would think if they were to do these autopsies, they'd be able to find it. I don't know if they're doing autopsies. I doubt they're. They're probably trying to find natural causes. They're not looking into anything.
Speaker 2: Suspicious, probably because yeah, like none of the scenes had looked suspicious. So and it just makes me like angry because middle aged people like even in their twenties, like, that's not middle age, that's younger, Like they just don't normally just die. But it's its next three victims that he was much more vicious. And thankfully it would now appear that there was a murderer on loose.
Speaker 1: I went, Okay, you might get into this, but I'm really curious how they linked him back to these other ones. Okay, okay, okay, okay, note to self, I'm curious of that.
Speaker 2: And then kut O cut so On December thirty first, nineteen seventy four, the date very.
Speaker 1: Sad, Yeah, almost the new year.
Speaker 2: Diane Beats I think is her name. I can't pronounce her naw same was Russell's next victim. She was found in her wealth apartment, bound with nylon stockings and had been strangled to death with her brawl and raped after death. She was twenty three years old.
Speaker 1: Jeez.
Speaker 2: And if the date wasn't ricken sad enough, she was found by her boyfriend or I should say fiance, because the night previously they had gotten engaged. Oh no, like shit, like about to start a brand new year, like just got engaged.
Speaker 1: No kidding, that's shitty, that's so shitty. Ah did he at least do the dishes.
Speaker 2: I can't remember if he did the dishes in that one or not, because that one was interesting because they had already like Diane was up with her fiance and then he went to work and then Russell came and like killed her.
Speaker 1: Jeers. So Russell's a dick.
Speaker 2: It was like around ten thirty. It wasn't that night like the other ones. With this murder. The Guelf police offered a five thousand dollars reward for any clues leading to the discovery of Diane's killer. Okay, and when interviewed by police, Russell said he had heard of Diane's murder from a radio news report and thought it could have been me, but he wasn't sure. Yeah, but he couldn't remember he had done that.
Speaker 1: Oh gee, so I'm assuming this interview is like post them cashing him.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's just like a flash flash forward.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like a oh, hey, you're a witness on the scene or anything.
Speaker 2: It was like gotcha, no he had Yeah, this was him, like later on talking the unfortunate. Next victim was Luella Gianne George, who was found in her London fourth floor apartment on April fifteenth, nineteen seventy seven, and again strangle and raped postmark, I just don't even want to keep saying that. Russell told police he did not remember entering her apartment, but he did recall choking her, So.
Speaker 1: He's got some shit going on his head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just see it. Russell's last and final victim that we know of. I always feel like there's always probably more, which is most likely was Donna Weldboom, who apparently lived in the apartment above Russell's. Russell had changed it up with this attack, though, and it involved a knife. He cut Donna across the chest, later saying he wanted to crawl inside to be warm and safe.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: She was again sexually assaulted after death and bathed. He bathed her. This was in July of nineteen seventy seven. And the cloth, the cloth that he bathed her with, he went and put through in the building's common area like the washing machine. He like washed it for them.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: You're just like done?
Speaker 1: I'm I am both like a stunned and disgusted and be just reminded of the scene where Han Solo puts Luke Skywaller inside the tauton so he doesn't freeze to death.
Speaker 2: Seriously, not on your head, so, Russell said. He also didn't know if he killed Donna until the next morning. He said he used his plastic time punch card from work to slip down his lock and didn't understand why people didn't have better locks, that it was just like too simple to break in.
Speaker 1: What the fuck this guy's fucked? I know, you know, maybe you could just I don't know, not pick their locks and break in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could just like do your jobs, go to the gym, go home, watch Netflix.
Speaker 1: You know in nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, they would no wonder, Hey, what else did they have to do?
Speaker 1: Blockbuster?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I haven't those days of like going to the store to pick your movie. It was actually freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: It was Blockbuster a thing in the seventies.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: There's got to be been rental store.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know in the seventies, like when were BCRs made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if the seventies even I'm trying to think like that they had like reds, Yeah, they would have vinyls. But I think, like, I think it was like early seventies when like televisions were starting to come into homes. Oh my, I think it might have been late sixties.
Speaker 2: I can't even imagine. Eh, it's probably good, like you probably I would, I don't know, I feel like it'd be in better shape and shit, but damn anyway anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, life without Netflix.
Speaker 2: Okay, So finally this shit show would end. In the same month of that last murder. July twenty eight, nineteen seventy seven, Russell was arrested. He was charged with murdering three of the women, Diana or Diane, Luella and Donna.
Speaker 1: Those are the last like three brutal ones.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, yeah, but he not guilty of course. After being arrested, Russell had given an unsigned statement to police, though, and it was admitted as evidence.
Speaker 1: Ooh, what did he say on that? Do you know?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to say a few things, but then I kind of like listed a few things randomly earlier. Right, Oh, that's according to police Inspector Robert Young. In that statement, Russell, who had voluntarily admitted himself to a London psychiatric hospital in nineteen sixty nine and was diagnosed as a sexual deviant, had told him that he wished he could have gotten proper help all those years ago, because those girls would still be alive today.
Speaker 1: No shit, Sherlock.
Speaker 2: Russell complained of uncontrollable outbursts of violence and pleaded for psychiatric help following the arrests and said to Robert, there have been so many, so many more terrible things.
Speaker 1: Jeez see, I mean, trust me, he's fucking scummed. So don't get me like twisted up in my words here when I say this. But I feel bad for people like this because it's like they know that there's something fucked up, they know they're doing wrong things, and they hate themselves for it. They just can't stop it.
Speaker 2: I know, I know it is. It is sad. It's sad and it yeah, I don't know. I'm just gonna keep going here. I don't even know what to say there. So on February first of nineteen seventy eight, Russell is found Are you ready for this?
Speaker 1: Is he found not guilty.
Speaker 2: I gave like really small hints.
Speaker 1: Oh fuck. I wasn't paying attention then because I have no idea.
Speaker 2: So basically like him not being able to recall whether he murdered someone, yeah, like stuff like that. So Russell was found not guilty by reason of insanity. Oh of course, of course, he suffers from sudden psychotic episodes and loses touch with reality. So because he was unable to ask the harshness of his client of his crimes, he was indefinitely combined to the maximum security wing at Waypoint Center for Mental Health Care, where he still is to this day.
Speaker 1: He still is there. Okay, so he's like, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like that's kind of jail. But it's not like I don't know the jails you think of. He was in a he's sentenced to a mental health care facility.
Speaker 1: Which I mean, I guess this is a tough one because he definitely he's fucked up. He did some fucking bad shit, but he knows like he's doing wrong. He just can't, Like I said, he just can't help it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, like he would have outbursts and like this need to kill and lots of like I think the ones were premeditated, but sometimes he would just climb freakin' balconies and like check doors to see if they were fucking a lock.
Speaker 1: But I wonder if, like maybe he was in a excuse me, having one of his like psychosist states even doing that.
Speaker 2: Probably, Oh yeah, I think he was.
Speaker 1: It's like me when I see chocolate milk, it's like, get out of my fucking way.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we have a franchise rising and getting a four leader. It's gonna be gone tonight.
Speaker 1: Probably I didn't get a four leader because they didn't have four leaders. They only had the two leaders.
Speaker 2: Oh seriously, you was like, oh wow, Ben's being good.
Speaker 1: Nope, I almost got two two leaders.
Speaker 2: Okay. And since this decision where he was like going to a mental health care facility, he had confessed to killing four other women and sexuals assaulting eleven more so he got tried for like those brutal ones, and then he confessed to the other ones. They broke them down.
Speaker 1: No kidding. I wonder if there's ones that he just can't remember.
Speaker 2: I know, I think that there probably is. It's that's shitty.
Speaker 1: Hey, this one's got me torn a little bit conflicted. You are conflicted, well, like, trust me, I don't feel bad for me, Like, well, I feel bad for him, but he completely deserves to go to jail. He deserves to fucking rot. But I feel bad for him.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting because like the Greyhound one, you didn't really feel bad for that guy. And isn't this kind of similar ish?
Speaker 1: No, not necessarily because with the Greyhound one, uh see what I like, he wasn't quite so remorseful. He wasn't crying out for help. He just went out and like, I mean, yeah, he had this mental issue that occurred, and he went out and he did this horrendous fucking act over the course of hours, just fucking go go, go, go go go. Actually, like I think his like mission and everything was over the course of like what a day or two days? Yeah, yeah, So, and he wasn't taking his medication. He knew he had this, he wasn't taking his medication, and he went out.
Speaker 2: This Russell had never been like diagnosed with anything, and.
Speaker 1: This guy was off his meds and it cost someone their life. Yeah, I mean, I feel bad for the guy, but I do not feel bad for the situation that he is in because he attributed all the factors to put himself there. This guy is crying out for help.
Speaker 2: Well he Yeah, the fact that he at one point even did go and commit himself. Yeah, but I mean that, Yeah, I think he was only in there for a week obviously didn't get the help.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, even even being diagnosed as a sexual deviant like they did. Actually the documentary I was watching, like they the people that had diagnosed with them like never notified the police or anything of that. I don't know. If that's a new thing back then, and because now I feel like you'd have to if someone was diagnosed with.
Speaker 1: Something like that, I think so. So Yeah, like I said, don't get me wrong, this guy one deserves to fucking rot. He's trash.
Speaker 2: He did a lot of bad shit, Yes.
Speaker 1: But I feel bad for him because he knows and he's calling out for help at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had like uncontrollable outbursts. Yeah, but I mean I don't know. Yeah, this is still shitty. Like what I'm about to just say is shitty.
Speaker 1: Oh God, let's hear it.
Speaker 2: It's not terrible. But so Russell often will apply for more ledient conditions lenient lenient because at this point he thinks that he's fine and does not need to change any longer, and he has exercised his right to a hearing more than thirty times since he was convicted. What he wants is either like an escort of community visit or incarceination in a lower security facility. But the big problem with him going to a lower security facility is he would have greater access to female patients and he's too much of a risk for their safety. But the super sad thing is that these hearings is every year the victims have to show up or like the victims their families, I mean the family. It's not the victims because they've died, have to show up and read their statements about how his crimes has affected their lives and their families lives. One article said, it's become a yearly family tradition to have to go there, and like a family tradition that's not the fun kind, you know. Yeah, so that's shitty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they need to put a cap on that, like thirty times, like dude, like no.
Speaker 2: And it's like being passed down to generation from generation, so that because they worry what happens when like we can't go any longer. Yeah, so it's like that's shitty for these poor families. It's just like something that they're never able to give up. Yeah, they're reliving this. So Russell has been chemically castrated. Good, it takes lupron to reduce his testderone, but chemical castration is via drugs. It's like to basically reduce his libido. Right, So it's not like a surgical thing, and it can be reversed.
Speaker 1: It can be reversed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be reversed.
Speaker 1: I thought it was like something that they do over the course of like a month that just makes them sterile and that's it.
Speaker 2: No, because they're well, they're not removing his organs, nor does it says nor is it a form of sterilization.
Speaker 1: It is reversible, damn.
Speaker 2: It's also a stated it's very unlikely that Russell will ever be outside of the Waypoint Center.
Speaker 1: Good. Good. So that's that Russell shit.
Speaker 2: The bedroom Strangler. Yeah, scary as shit and I hope if any okay, if you take away one thing from this ship show, lock your dolls. I feel like every episode we're like, lock your doors because I think some things can be prevented. I mean think so if someone wants to get in, they're probably going to get in, But like this dude would sometimes randomly go check in doors. So lock your dolls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lock your doors. Had your kids, had your wife, yeah, you know what to do? You know, you know, you know smart.
Speaker 2: I mean people who listen to true crime podcasts, I feel like they could be smarter than most.
Speaker 1: With like smarter than your average bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, prevention of some things.
Speaker 1: I think. So I have a feeling that there's people out there right now? Who have like checked their back door during this episode?
Speaker 2: So? Oh shit, Well, I was researching while you were working night shift. I think each night I would go make sure the fucking garage door was locked, because sometimes you leave it unlocked. And I'm proudly so I checked. I checked fair enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was a good episode? Well, not a good episode, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean. Yeah, it was. It was informative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna like next episode?
Speaker 2: Oh do you already know what it's going to be on.
Speaker 1: I've got like a list of like forty different episodes that I want to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I have quite a list too, but I don't know what order I'm going to do them in.
Speaker 1: I don't either. I kind of look at it like, okay, have we been like murder heavy? Have you been mystery heavy?
Speaker 2: We've been very murder heavy?
Speaker 1: I think we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean.
Speaker 1: This next one is is is murder heavy as well, But.
Speaker 2: You're not going to give them a break.
Speaker 1: No, next one after that. I've got my next two planned out. Okay, so my next one's murder heavy, and the next one after that is it's not murder heavy. There's no murder at all as far as we aware. I haven't fully researched it yet, but it's I don't really want to know what to say without giving it away. It's a huge Canadian crime. I'll put it that way for that second one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The next one is very murder heavy.
Speaker 2: Okay, and not Canadian. I do not believe so no, I think, Okay, everyone on my list is Canadian, but I think my next one I might have to branch out and do a Canadian Canadian. I know I've done nothing but Canadian, so I think I might find one that's not Canadian and just like surprise you all. Well, we're not surprising since I just told you, but you know what, cool. Well, I look forward to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, We'll see you guys in the next episode and make sure you guys stay wicked.